Speaker 1: More than a century ago, in the quiet foothills of Alberta's Rocky Mountains, two brothers built a small life together along the banks of the Bow River. What began as a simple frontier story of imagination, hard work, and opportunity would eventually take a dark and violent turn. One spring in nineteen oh four, that quiet stretch of land became the scene of a brutal murder that shocked the small community of Canmore. Now, the place where it all happened still carries the memory of that crime in its name. Today we discussed that story and the place that is simply called dead Man's Flats.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast, audience, listener, take a good drink of that.
Speaker 2: This is my favorite one, actually is that?
Speaker 1: Well I don't okay, you guys didn't hear it, but Nicole had a massive coughing fit right when I'm trying to record the intro. So make sure you're good. Make sure your voice is all right.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you Sometimes when I'm doing like newborn sessions and stuff, I'll be completely fine, like.
Speaker 1: All photographing them just clarity.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, I'm a photographer, as my other jumb right into the lingo. And do you know when you like aren't allowed or shouldn't cough even though you're completely fine, Like you've been completely fine all day, but then you're in a situation and your body just like has this need to cough.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, Okay, I can demonstrate that exact thing right now. I literally can. Okay, you ready, Okay, you're itchy right now somewhere Oh yeah, I already was, I know, but like right now, someone right now is thinking just think about you're itchy. There's gonna be somewhe where you're itching. It's probably like your back or your knee or your elbow. Something is gonna itch and you're gonna be cursing my name right now because I said it. It's the same thing with coughing or murphy.
Speaker 2: Is think about breathing, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or blinking, or where your mouth has your tongue sitting inside of it? Where does your tongue sit?
Speaker 2: How many people are like fuck off right now, probably just getting just irate with us.
Speaker 1: My bad, sorry, but it proves exactly what you're saying. Like, it's that Murphy's law, like when you shouldn't be doing something. That's when it's like, well, now.
Speaker 2: You're like yeah, because when you're reading the intro there, like I have to be really quiet and then and I was fine, but then all of a sudden, this tickle and it just like progressively got worse and I was trying to hold it in and I just couldn't anymore. Well, but anyway, I do that a lot at newborn sessions, do being like I don't want parents to think I'm sick and I'm not sick, but then my body's like a you're gonna call screw.
Speaker 1: You anyways being sick and where your tongue should sit inside your mouth if you're itchy? 're not all set aside? Have an interesting Canadian case for you today. Yeah, Now, I will say, there is not a lot of detail surrounding this case, so I did the best I could because of the lack of detail. This might be a little bit of a shorter episode, but I think it did pretty good. Okay, it's a bit of a well, it's a true crime case mixed with a bit of history in there too.
Speaker 2: Right on, these are both places that I want to well, can more I've never been to and it's like right by a bamf. It's another place I want to go to. How have I not been to these places?
Speaker 1: I've only driven through because I have gone to Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo many times because I'm a bit of a nerd and you're not. So I've driven through there on my way to Calgary many times without you. So I've been through these places and I know exactly where this is. Haven't been to the place, but I've been through it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's hear about this.
Speaker 1: So if you step back in time more than a century, the Rocky Mountains would feel very different than they are today. Long before highways cut through the valleys and travelers passed through. By the thousands, the mountains were a lot quieter, The forests were thicker, the towns were smaller, and much of the land between them while they remained wide open and untouched, very vast and untamed. Now. In those days, people came west chasing opportunity. Some arrived with dreams, you know, striking it rich in the mines. Others hoped to carve out a much more simple life on the land, raising animals, farming what they could and building homes whenever the valleys allowed it. Now, life in the mountains could be peaceful and beautiful, but it was also very isolated, stood miles apart, and news traveled extremely slow, and when something happened in those remote places, it often unfolded far from the eyes of the outside world. Most days would pass very quietly, but every so often something would happen that people simply couldn't forget. It may be a single random moment, or maybe a violent act, even a story whispered between neighbors until the land itself began to carry the memory of it. And sometimes those stories linger long enough that the place where they happened eventually makes you know what its way into history, even potentially its name of the land itself. Now. Long before this place became a rest stop along the Trans Canada Highway, the Bow Valley area in Alberta, Canada was already an important route through the Rocky Mountains. For thousands of years, Indigenous groups, including the Stony Nakota, used the valley as a natural corridor through the rugged life landscape. Later came explorers, furd traders, and settlers, all following the same path. Carved by the Bow River as it wound through the mountains, and by the late eighteen hundreds the region was beginning to change. The arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway in eighteen eighty three opened the valley to large numbers of newcomers. Coal was soon discovered in the surrounding mountains, and the small settlement of Canmore quickly grew into a busy mining town. Workers arrived from across Canada and even Europe, drawn by the promise of a steady job in the mines and the chance to build a new life on the frontier. But despite the growing industry nearby, much of the surrounding land remained quiet and isolated. Now just southeast of Canmore, the Bow River flattened out as it flowed past the base of Pigeon Mountain. Here the river spilled across a stretch of low, open ground, an area locals simply referred to as the flats in the early nineteen hundreds. It was very peaceful, dotted with small homesteads and farms that were far removed from the noise of the mines. It was on this quiet stretch of land along the banks of the Bow River that a small dairy farm once stood, and it was here, in the spring of nineteen o four, that a violent crime would take place and give the landscape the ominous name of dead Man's Flats. But long before the story of dead Man's Flats unfolded in the Canadian Rockies, it began thousands of kilometers away in rural France. The Marrat family lived in the Overne region, a rugged area of mountains and farmlands in central France. Their parents, Pierre and Anne Marat, were cattle farmers, raising their children in a modest rural life built around hard work and survival off the land. Now Pierre and Anne had a total of six children, though two of them unfortunately died young, which was not the most uncommon for the time. The four surviving siblings were Jean Louis, Francois, and their younger sister Eugenie. Like many young men in the area of France, the brothers spent time in the military. Several of them served in the French Army, gain experience that would later shape their lives in rather unexpected ways, but Francois in particular had a difficult military history. At some point during his service, he was discharged from the army, though the exact reasons are not entirely clear in any sort of surviving records, but that might highlight some things later on. Now. Life in rural France at the end of the nineteenth century could be difficult. Opportunities were limited, and many young men dreamed of leaving for a place where fortunes could be made. News of opportunity overseas, especially in North America, so bread quickly through villages and farming communities. For the Marrit brothers, that promise of opportunity eventually became too strong for them to ignore, and by the late eighteen nineties, two of the brothers made a decision that would set the entire story into motion. They would leave France behind and try their luck in Canada. It was in eighteen ninety eight when the two brothers, Jean and Louis, left France and set out for North America. Like thousands of other immigrants at the time, they arrived with very little money in their pockets, but with the hope that Canada offered a chance at a much better life. Their journey eventually brought them to the Beau Valley area in Alberta, a remote but rapidly developing place in the Rocky Mountains. The small mining town of Canmore had begun to grow after the coal was discovered in the surrounding mountains, and the Canadian Pacific Railway made it easier for everyone in supplies to reach the region. Now. When John first arrived in canon More, he found work as a night guard at the dynamite storage area used in the local coal mines. It wasn't glamorous work, but it was steady, and it gave him the chance to get established in the new region and country. Then, over time, John began building something of his own. It was along the Bow River flats, not far from the base of Pigeon Mountain. There he started operating a small dairy farm. The land there was relatively open compared to the surrounding mountains, and the nearby river made it very suitable for farming. Life here on the flats was quiet. The nearest town was Cammore, which was several kilometers away, and the dairy farm sat in a stretch of valley where the river widened and slowed as it passed through on the low ground.
Speaker 2: That kind of sounds like heaven.
Speaker 1: It does sound like heaven.
Speaker 2: Having a little farm in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people nowadays kind of dream of having something like that, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because it so I'm picturing like this piece of land it like overlooked the river and had like just like a picturesque kind of view.
Speaker 1: Right yeah.
Speaker 2: Basically oh and then they yeah, had cows like oh.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, Now the flats is like it is very flat, so like he's probably not too high above the river. It's like very big banks or anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, like picture if even more pretty?
Speaker 1: Really oh definitely, Yeah, the picture like that river rising would soon like engulf the land if there's like a major flood or something like that. Right. I don't think that was exactly common, but just an idea on how flat it was. So you have to think, like, Okay, this area was it was shaped by the river, and eventually it kind of flattened out, carving its way through the mountains, and then slowly it became a smaller stream of water over the years, the decades, the centuries, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, because yeah, honestly, living by water like that could be a little bit freaky. We have some areas in our town that are pretty close to the river and they flood like every few years. Yeah, it's occasional, and I'm like that must kind of be stressful and kind of sok.
Speaker 1: Seing the water is so good for the soul though, Like you just you sit there on a riverbank and you hear the flowing water or the lapping waves of the ocean or a lake, even just the pond, a little splash off the shore or a fish jump. It just it's so nice.
Speaker 2: It just fills your cup.
Speaker 1: It does. Now. Jean worked hard to build a stable life here, and eventually his brother Louis joined him. He was helping on the farm while also working in the coal mines nearby. Like many men in the valley, they took whatever they could find for work. The brothers had come to Canada chasing an opportunity, and for a time seemed like they might have found it. But in the early nineteen hundreds, another member of the Marritt family would arrive in Beow Valley two. It was by nineteen oh two that word of the Marrett brothers new life in Canada had made its way back to France, and soon after that their younger brother, Francois decided to follow them across the Atlantic. When he arrived in the Bow Valley, he joined Jehan on the small dairy farm on the flats where Pigeon Creek meant the Bow River. At first, he helped with all the work around the farm and running a dairy operation in the rugged foothills of the Rockies. It wasn't exactly easy. There were long days of work that was constant, and whether it was milking cows or tending to the land or anything else that needed to be up kept on the small operation, it had to be done and they were working at it. However, Francois didn't seem to enjoy the life of a farm hand. After about fifteen months of working with his brother, he drifted away from the dairy operation and began taking odd jobs around the region instead.
Speaker 2: That is fair, okay, we have ten chickens and I feel like there are a lot of work.
Speaker 1: That's only I.
Speaker 2: Couldn't imagine how many cows they have. But also he would have kind of known what this work was like, right, he would have had to help. I imagine their farm in France.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his parents had a bit of a farm as well, so he should have known. It's not like, you know what working on a farm is any fucking news to him. He should know the labor it takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, maybe he didn't. Like I guess it would be different though, working for your brother versus like your parents. Per se too well, and.
Speaker 1: I think part of it might have been, you know what, he left the farm life for something better and he goes to farm.
Speaker 2: Life to the same thing basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so maybe it was just that swap. It wasn't what he's expecting. Yeah, and then a lure of well, what's to come of these industries that are progressing? Bigger money?
Speaker 2: Right right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean next I have written here, Like many men in the Bow Valley area at the time, he eventually found work in the coal mines near Canmore. So the coal mines probably paid a lot better. I mean it's a lot more hard work, it's a lot more dangerous, but it's the basically the best paying job in the area. Now. Meanwhile, the third brother, Louis, he had his sight set on something else entirely, the Klondike gold Rush. It was a drawing thing for prospectors in the North and it was pulling them in by the thousands, and Louis soon left the Beau Valley area behind to try his luck in the Yukon. Now, that left Jean and Francois in the valley together. Now, by most accounts, the two brothers were very different people. Jean was seen as responsible and hard working, the kind of man who built something for himself through persistence and discipline. But Francois, on the other hand, well, he was quieter and a lot more unpredictable. Some people described him even as withdrawn and even a little strange. At first, these differences may have seemed harmless, but as time passed in Beau Valley, the behavior of Francois began to grow increasingly strange. According to later testimony, Francois started to hear things that no one else could hear. He claimed voices spoke to him, ones that he said belonged to his dead parents.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, here, I just thought he was having trouble adjusting to a new country.
Speaker 1: But that's a little bit more, a little bit more intense. So he said they were coming to him and speaking to him from beyond the grave. And along with the voices also came a constant buzzing sound in his head that he said he could never escape it. It was always there. Now. As time passed, these experiences began to shape how he saw the world around him in dark and very strange ways. In fact, Francois became convinced that his brother Jean was plotting to kill him. In his mind, Jean had built some kind of invisible electrical machine that he hid somewhere in the nearby forest. Francois said he could hear this strange device whirling at times, even though he admitted he had never actually seen it. Now, whether he had seen it in his own eye or not, though it didn't matter, because to him, this machine was real, and the voices in his head reinforced this belief too. According to Francois, the voice of his parents warned him that Jean was dangerous and that he needed to defend himself against Jean before it was too late.
Speaker 2: Oo. Okay, this is not good now.
Speaker 1: Whether the cause of this mental illness in Francois was trauma from his early military service or something else entirely, the paranoia continued to grow. Doctors who would later examine him believed he was suffering from severe hallucinations tied to a deep mental disorder that they couldn't really figure out. Some experts even suggested the condition may have been linked to his time serving in the French Foreign Legion in Africa, where harsh conditions and years of extreme hardship could leave lasting psychological damage. But in the quiet isolation of beau Valley in the early nineteen hundreds, well, there were few ways for someone struggling with mental illness to receive any help. And my likely guess is probably the only way was I bet at the bottom of a bottle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean even today it's still it's come ridiculously far, but it's sometimes still somewhat misunderstood for sure. Back then it's like you kind of almost hooped.
Speaker 1: You're on your own basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, as francois fears deepened, the line between reality and imagination began to blur more and more, and by the spring of nineteen oh four, the situation had reached a dangerous point. Francois had become convinced that his brother was an enemy who needed to be stopped. Then tensions in inside France was mind reached a crescendo. The voices he claimed to hear, the buzzing sounds, and his belief that his brother was trying to kill him. Had all become part of his everyday thinking, and on May tenth, nineteen oh four, something happened. Francois borrowed an axe from a woman named Ella may Lauder. Now, borrowing tools between neighbors, of course, wasn't unusual in small frontier communities like Beau Valley, and at the time there was nothing about the request that seemed suspicious. But in hindsight, the moment carried a much darker meaning, because that very axe would become the weapon he used in the brutal act that followed. Now, whether Francois had already decided what he was going to do or whether the plan formed some time later that night isn't entirely clear, but what is known is that the act stayed with him after he borrowed it. As night fell over the quiet flats along Bow River, the Merritt brothers returned to their usual routine. Their small cabin sat in the isolated stretch of land where Pigeon Creek met Bow River, surrounded by forest and open valley. To anyone passing by, it would have looked just like another peaceful evening in the mountains. But inside that cabin, however, darkness had crept inside. It was in the early morning of May eleventh, nineteen o four. The Quiet Dairy Farm long Bow River was still wrapped in darkness, and around five thirty a m. Francois Marette got out of bed and retrieved the axe he had borrowed that day before, while his brother Jean was still sleeping. Jean Marette was thirty two years old at the time. He was hard working. He was a dairy farmer who had gone to bed expecting to wake up and begin another day of work on the farm, but he never got that chance. Francois loomed over his brother, clutching the axe in his hands, staring down as his brother slept, and then he attacked him in his bed. The murder was sudden and brutal, and it was carried out before Jean had any opportunity to defend himself, and once the attack was over, Francois was left alone in the cabin with the blood and his brother's lifeless body.
Speaker 2: That is some savage ass shit, Yes, using an axe as a weapon. I just don't think that I could ever be okay with that, because that I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's visceral.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the visual of anyone killing someone with an axe just seems ridiculously brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to talk about getting personal in an attack, I think I think hammers and axes are the two that like scream personal because it's going to be savage, it's going to be bloody, it's going to be brutal, and it's gonna hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And this brother, he was just sleeping. He caind wonder though if he had, well, he would never probably thought his brother would do something like this, But he would have had to have noticed some sort of change in his brothers.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he did notice there was some change, but I don't think. Yeah, like you say, he would never have thought his brother was capable of killing him.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now, sometimes after afterward, he carried John's body outside and brought it down to the nearby Bow river, and there he disposed of his brother by throwing his body into the water.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now the river flowed past the low, open stretch of land with a shallow area where the current slowed and spread across the valley floor, so he wouldn't be taken away very fast. In fact, he wouldn't have been taken very far and before long the body would be discovered. But at that moment, in the early morning light of May eleventh, only one person knew what had happened, still inside that cabin. But afterwards Francois did something that would quickly draw attention to himself. Rather than fleeing the area, he went about his morning almost as if you know what, nothing had happened, And at some point after the murder, Francois traveled to Canmore, the small mining town several kilometers away where he'd been working in the coal mines. When he arrived, he reportedly began telling people that his brother wasn't going to be coming to town that day because he too did some work. He didn't just work full time at the farm. So he was telling people, Yeah, his brother's not going to be coming to work today. He's not coming. Now. That was odd, It was odd for him to make a statement like that, and it didn't go unnoticed. People paid attention when something seemed off or out of place, especially when someone began offering explanations for things before anyone had even asked any questions, And so before long word reached the authorities, the Northwest Mounted Police, the Law enforcement that was operating across the Canadian frontier at the time began looking into the situation. Meanwhile, along the Bow River Flats, Jean's body did not remain hidden after being thrown into the river. It drifted to that shallow stretch and was eventually discovered. Once the situation became clear, the Northwest Mounted Police began investigating the killing, and their attention quickly turned towards Francois.
Speaker 2: Okay, here, I was thinking he could have just gone into town and been like, my brother's on well, he's not feeling good, he's gonna you know, he's at home sick. But then if they're going to find him anyway, because the river gets very shallow, so.
Speaker 1: Well, he could have just not said anything, maybe disposed of his brother in a different way, and potentially got away with it. Yeah, you're talking like the early nineteen hundreds. On a farm, no one's going to question if you dig a little bit of a hole and bury something in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Or even if he had just gone to work too and like pretended like nothing was out of the normal, and then he just said this happened while he was at work or something, right, like, well, I don't I.
Speaker 1: Mean he was attacked with an axe. You know, who's going to attack him with an axe?
Speaker 2: Might be some sort of person that's like, I don't know, doesn't like his brother could happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're in a remote area in a cabin. The likelihood of someone else coming in attacking him with an ass is slim, is very slim. So he's going to be suspect number one right away. So you have to hide the body to try and get away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But yeah, like you said, just bury a hole. He probably would have gotten away with it probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Where did I leave off here? Okay? So once the situation was clear, the Northwest Mounted Police began investigating and their attention turned to Francois, and later that same morning, officers located him at Okaloosa Hotel in Canmore, where he was placed under arrest. From there, France who was taken into custody and charged with the murder of his brother. For the people living in Bow Valley, the crime was shocking. Violent killings were extremely rare in small mountain communities of the early nineteen hundreds like this, and not long after his arrest, Francois was brought to Calgary. He was brought there to stand trial for the murder of his brother. During this time, serious criminal cases were smaller communities had to deal with these. They couldn't have the capacity to take it on, so communities like Canmore, for example, they were often sent to or sent to their culprits. They're people who do these crimes to larger regions for the courts and the capacity of them taking care of it makes sense. So the trial began almost two weeks after the killing, moving very quickly by modern standards.
Speaker 2: We're no kidding, I'm like, I love a streamline this is and also it was like, same day you killed your brother, you're arrested exactly now.
Speaker 1: What followed in the courtroom left many people struggling to understand what had been going through France Wois's mind. During testimony, Francois openly admitted that he had killed his brother, but the explanation he offered, while it was very unsettling to everyone. He told the courts that he believed Jean was trying to murder him using the aforementioned mysterious electrical machine hidden somewhere in the forest. According to Francois, he heard the strange device for on multiple occasions, just describing that whirling sound that convinced him his life was in danger. Now, I do have two quotes that I already kind of alluded to from Francois himself during testimony, one being quote I wanted to kill my brother because Jean tried to kill me with a whirring electric machine. And quote number two. I never saw the machine, but I heard it several.
Speaker 2: Times, and I'm assuming it's safe to assume that this machine just did not exist, correct.
Speaker 1: I think it's safe to assume that, yes, okay. He also told the courts of hearing the voices of his dead parents that spoke to him, warning him that John was planning to kill him. So, in his mind, basically, the attack, well it was it was an act of self defense. Other testimony offered different possibility for motives as well. One witness suggested that Francois may have been angry that Jean had refused to pay him for work that he'd done on the dairy farm. But as the trial continued, it became increasingly clear that Francois's mental health would become the central issue of this case. Medical experts were called to testify about his condition, and doctors described the voices and hallucinations as signs of serious mental illness. So after hearing the testimony and medical opinions, the jury was left with a very difficult task to side the fate of Francois Moret. There was very little debate about whether Francois had committed the killings. I mean, he himself had admitted to attacking his brother with the acts in the first place, but the real question before the court was whether he'd been mentally capable of understanding his actions. The testimony about the voices, the invisible electrical machine, and his growing paranoia weighed heavily on the case. At first, the jury found him guilty of the killing, but under the law at the time, that was not the end of the matter. The court still had to decide whether he was legally responsible for the crime, and ultimately the court ruled that Francois Moret was not guilty by reason of insanity.
Speaker 2: Okay, so even back then they kind of took that into consideration. Yes they did, which for some reason surprises me a little.
Speaker 1: So, rather than being sent to prison, he was ordered to be confined to a mental inn institution for the rest of his life. Authorities transferred him to the Brandon Asylum in Manitoba, one of the psychiatric institutions used at the time to house people considered criminally insane. For the small community of Beau Valley, the verdict closed the legal chapter of this story. The man responsible was removed from society and that was that but the story, while it's not entirely over from here. After the trial, Francois Moret was transported over to the asylum and very little is known about his day to day life there. Records from the early nineteen hundreds are limited, and much of the details surrounding his time there has been lost over the years. What is known, though, is that he remained confined at Brandon for several years following the trial, and Francois was a young man when the crime took place, but his time in the institution was short. On October seventh, nineteen oh nine, just five years after the murder of his brother, Francois Moret died at the asylum. He was only thirty one years old.
Speaker 2: Okay, shit, I was like he got out.
Speaker 1: He didn't get out, no, And we don't.
Speaker 2: Know why he died or how he died.
Speaker 1: No, not from what I could find.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's too bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, I imagine treatment at those places at those times were not the best. So my imagination can only come up with a few stories.
Speaker 2: Well, and then true like as well, when you get sick, there's less that can be done and stuff too.
Speaker 1: Yet for sure, and I mean honestly, who knows. They could have lobotomized him and things gone downhill after that. Who knows the It's a plethora of different things. Now, some later accounts have suggested that he may have taken his own life, though exact circumstances surrounding his death they're just unclear. But there are some places out there that claim this could be true, but it's not really known still now. Like many details from the era, the records are simply incomplete and we may never know the full truth. And with his death and responsible for the killing at the Bow River Dairy Farm faded into history. But the story was still not going to end there, because while the tragedy between John and Francois was unfolding at that time, their older brother Louis was chasing an opportunity far to the north, like thousands of others. At the turn of the century, Louis had been drawn to the Klondike gold Rush. Prospectors flooded into the Yukon hoping to strike it rich, and for the most of them their dream never materialized. But for Louis, however, it did. In nineteen o six, reports began appearing in newspapers describing a significant gold discovery at Baker Creek on the Stuart River in Yukon. One of the claims there was owned by Louis Morett. According to an article printed in the Dawson Daily News on May eleventh, nineteen oh six, the claim was producing strong results, and the report described quote fine pay being pulled from the ground and even mentioned that nuggets were occasionally being found too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that because I feel like this family kind of has really shitty luck. So I'm glad that I guess one of them is, you know, at least kind of thriving.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, thriving is a good word for it, because by some estimates, Louis Morett earned around four hundred and twenty thousand dollars in gold between nineteen oh five and nineteen oh six, which is an enormous fortune. For the time. Yeah, and you adjust that to modern value, that's roughly eighteen million Canadian oly shit.
Speaker 2: He struck rich.
Speaker 1: He struck it rich. It's an incredible contrast to the events that took place back in Bow Valley just a couple of years earlier.
Speaker 2: To say that's kidding.
Speaker 1: But Louis's life later became something of a mystery. Historical records suggest that he eventually moved to Washington State sometime after nineteen eleven, where he married twice and later enlisted in the United States Army as a field artillery officer during the First World War. However, the war ended before he was deployed. Despite the fortune he was believed to have made during the gold rush, there is little evidence that Louis actually lived the life of a wealthy man. People who later looked into his story found that he worked a variety of ordinary jobs, and there was no clear explanation for what happened to the gold that he had once earned. Now, another unusual detail about the surviving members of the Moret family also emerged over time. Both Louis and his brother Francois ultimately chose not to have children, or at least not biologically instead they adopted. Now, some family researchers have suggested that concerns about hereditary mental illness may have played a role in the decision, reflecting ideas about genetics or anything like that circulating that era. Now, whatever the reason, the Moret family story ended up taking dramatically different paths when you look at it. One brother died in an asylum after committing the brutal murder of another brother, while another brother struck rich on gold in the Yukon and then quietly disappeared into history. But the place where the tragedy happened, the quiet stretch of land along the Bow River, would eventually take on a name that kept the memory of that dark moment. The story of these brothers all alive the years ticked by, But that wasn't going to be the end. Farms, small homesteads, and mining operations remained scattered across Bow Valley, and the story of the killing. Yeah, sure, it faded into history, but it didn't fade from local memory. At some point in the early nineteen hundreds, locals began referring to the area as dead Man's Flat. Exactly when the name first appeared isn't clear, but evidence suggests that it already had common use well before the mid twentieth century. One clue appears in August twenty fifth, nineteen twenty four's edition of the Calgary Herald, which used the name dead Man's Flats, showing that the nickname had had been circulating for decades. But over time, the origin of the name became a subject of debate. While many believe it referenced the nineteen oh four axe murder of Jean Morett, other explanations began to surface two One popular story involved two Stony Nakota trappers who'd been illegally trapping beaver in the area. When a park warden approached their camp. With no way to escape, the men well, they supposedly covered themselves in beaver blood, laid down on the ground, and pretended to be dead. According to the tale, the wardens saw this, ran off to go get help, and the trappers took the opportunity to escape with their pelts.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that's actually incredibly smart.
Speaker 1: That's quite the story, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: However, historians have pointed out some problems with this story. There are no records of such an incident in the park warden's reports. Ever, taking place, and if two men had played dead, some have suggested the name would have likely been dead Men's Flats, not dead Man's Flats, being pluralized.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Another explanation surface decades later. In nineteen fifty four, the Calgary Herald reported a story claiming that a prospector had been murdered in a cabin near the river, and then that would be where the name dead Man's Flats came from from that killing. But this explanation also has issues. The name dead Man's Flats had already appeared in newspapers decades earlier prior to this, suggesting that it had been in use long before this supposed prospector's murder took place. Because of that, many local historians believe the most likely explanation is still the simplest one. But the name dead Man's Flats traces back to the violent killing of Jean mart in nineteen oh four, when his brother Francois murdered him threw his body into the river, and then it became known as dead Man's Flats, with the name sticking over time. Now for decades, that name existed mostly as a local nickname and that was it. But things began to change in the mid twentieth century. The construction of the Trans Canada Highway in the nineteen fifties brought a steady flow of travelers through the valley. What had once been a remote farming area gradually turned into a convenient stop for motorists, truck drivers, and tourists passing between Calgary and the infamous vamp gas stations. Motels and service businesses began appearing along the highway, and the area slowly developed into a small commercial service center. For a time, the official name of the community was something much less dramatic. Between nineteen seventy four and nineteen eighty five, the settlement was formerly known as Pigeon Mountain Service Center, referencing the nearby mountain rather than the darker local legend. But the older name had never really disappeared from local use, and then official actually made a decision that surprised some people. In nineteen eighty five, they gave the adopted name to the community as the new official name. It was now officially called dead Man's Flats. According to the local historians and municipal leaders, the unusual name was chosen partly because it was memorable and helped, you know, attract curiosity from travelers passing through Bow Valley, but not everyone loved the name. In twenty fourteen, a resident asked the municipal district to consider changing it to something a little more pleasant. Some people felt the name was too grim for a modern community, but after discussing the request, local counselors voted unanimously to keep the name.
Speaker 2: That's actually impressive, it is, but we don't really need to hide that bad shit happens either, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, exactly very aware. And part of the reasoning was like, you know, historical, like the name had been used for how however, many generations, so a lot of people felt it represented, you know, an authentic piece of local history, rather than something that should just be erased and covered up with, you know, a pretty name. Because right now, as one local official explained at the time, changing it would risk becoming a form of historical revision, removing a reminder of events that shaped the identity of this very place, and so the name remained today. Dead Man's Flats is the small but growing community that's tucked along Bow Valley, just seven kilometers southeast of Canmore and about seventy eight kilometers west of Calgary. Travelers passing through on the Trans Canada Highway might stop for fuel, a meal, or a night at one of the motels before continuing deeper into the Rocky Mountains. What was once a quiet stretch of farmland along the Bow River has slowly developed into a service hub for travelers and a residential area for people working in the nearby communities. According to the twenty twenty one Eightian Census, the area has a population of three hundred and seventy seven residents, which is a significant increase from just one hundred and twenty five people in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, but just hold hold the horse here for a sec Like their address is actually like dead Man's Flats, correct, Okay, I can kind of understand that that residence. Kind of concerned then that that is a videary I suppose, Okay.
Speaker 1: That's where they live. They live in dead Man's Flats.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: So with new housing proposals and development plans, the small settlement continues to grow, but behind the modern buildings, the passing traffic, the history just still remains. More than a century ago, this quiet stretch of land was the site of a violent act between two brothers trying to build a new life in Canada. One of them would die in his bed, killed by an axe, and the other would spend the rest of his short life confined to an asylum, with things going on in his mind that no one understood. Over time, the details of the crime faded, replaced by legend and competing stories about how the place got its name. Some people still prefer the tale of the clever trappers who pretended to be dead to escape the park warden. Others pointed to the rumors of the murdered prospector, but many historians agree that the name dead Man's Flats comes from the murder in nineteen o four, when John's body was thrown into the Bow River near the shallow stretch of land where the river slows and spreads across the valley floor. Today, most people passing through the area honestly would never think twice about the name and the highway sign. But regardless, the name remains, and it's a quiet reminder that long before it was a roadside stop in the Rocky Mountains, this place was once the scene of a crime that gave the land a blood soaked scar that would stand the test of time. And that's the story of dead Man's Flats.
Speaker 2: Hmm, ding dang, ding dang, indeed freaking dang. So have you been?
Speaker 1: How often do we end with ding dang? I just realized.
Speaker 2: That that's got to be a.
Speaker 1: Lot, Like I bet you it's ninety percent of her episodes. How have I? How am I just realizing?
Speaker 2: Well, how elks do you? And this shit? Really? Okay? So have you been? There? Have you?
Speaker 1: I've driven through?
Speaker 2: You have driven through?
Speaker 1: I have driven through?
Speaker 2: Okay, See, I want to drive through. It is like a little bit of a tourist attraction of sorts. The name it makes it. The name makes it that for sure.
Speaker 1: And when I'm when I say drive through, like from my recollection of it, it's just a highway, like a double lane highway, and you have to go on like an off ramp to the community on the side of the highway. Okay, So like driving through is more like driving by it. I guess you have like mountains on the one side, and then there's just like the pullouts to go you can see like gas stations and buildings, and you pass by it and that's about all you see because it's small it's a small community.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, see it makes me want to go visit it just as a tourist, but the name alone does not make me want to go and live there. So I can kind of get that.
Speaker 1: Well, next time we go to Calgary, let's rent a vehicle. If we fly, if we drive, we can take our own vehicle. But next time we're in Calgary, let's make a point of driving over to dead Men's Flat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take some pictures. I mean, gosh, that's like quite a story though. It's pretty. It's pretty eerie, it is. I thought it was kind of more so just the river that spot was named that, or it was like a tagline of sorts. I didn't realize it was the town's damn name.
Speaker 1: So well, it was kind of the area of the river, and the area developed its own little community. Yeah, and that community is called dead Men's.
Speaker 2: I mean it's very unique. Give it that. It's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like how it actually has history in there. And this episode, honestly, half of it was a history lesson. Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, imagine going anywhere though, and people are always like where do you live? Where are you from? And you have to say that liked man's flat. The follow up questions that would come, you know, would be a lot no kidding, but kind of cool too, kind of unique. I don't even know how you would really say what you would say, like you wouldn't want to go into the you know this this frick or maybe they can just recommend our podcast.
Speaker 1: Now touche to this pot touche. I'm actually curious how many of you have heard of this place and this story before. Of course, if you're local to the area, you probably know it. But if you are outside of one hundred kilometers of this place, I want to know if you've heard of this story before. I mean, if you're still close to it, I want to know too, But primarily I want to know if you are they're away one hundred kilometers from where it exists, have you heard of it?
Speaker 2: I'm thinking we're probably about what like eight hundred kilometers or so away.
Speaker 1: I think we're a little probably about seven hundred I'm guessing, okay, And.
Speaker 2: I have not heard of this at all.
Speaker 1: No, No, I have, but only because I've driven through it and I've seen the sign. I haven't heard of the story. I've just remembered the sign and then I came across the story the other day and I was like, oh, snap.
Speaker 2: Super cool story. Not cool that the brother killed the brother, but it is a very interesting story it is.
Speaker 1: But anyways, let us know what you think and let us know if you've heard of it before. I like covering these little, small Canadian ones sometimes it's fun. Thank you for being here. Don't forget to check with the description of this podcast, leave a review for us, because it's just us doing this and we do it for you, so your support goes a long way. And reviewing the podcast telling other people to check it out it goes a long way too, So thank you very much. You guys are amazing and until next time, stay wicked.
Speaker 2: B