Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Todger talking like the back damn cakes.
Speaker 2: It never gets told. For the eleven time in twelve years, your Los Angeles Dodgers clinch the n L West, and they do it in dramatic fashion. They come from behind. Win tonight out of Dodger Stadium, a seventy two victory over the San Diego Padres. Hi Everybody, and welcome into postgame Dodger Talk here on an five seventy LA Sports Live, everywhere on the iHeartRadio at fole. Lines are wide open. If you're at Dodger Stadium tonight, making your way home, sitting in traffic leading Elesion Park, no matter where you're headed, the west side, the eight one eight, back to the Canajo Valley, wherever you may be headed, to the Inland Empire, Orange County, I want to hear from you at eight six six, ninet eighty seven, two five seventies, certainly a night to celebrate for the Los Angeles Dodgers, their eleventh Divisional title in twelve years. Dave Roberts his eighth divisional title as manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, and they do it tonight in a game in which they struggled for offense the first six innings and finally in the seventh a leadoff walk from Max Munsey from Joe Muskgrove and the wheels started to fall off for the San Diego Padres. And there to jump on him was the Los Angeles Dodgers, as they took advantage of Joe musk groves inability to get Max Munsey in the top and the bottom half of the seventh, Will Smith comes back on a three to one fastball and crushes it to center field four hundred and twenty six feet to tie the game a two. They could bring in a reliever, Tanner Scott, didn't matter. Show Aotani fired a ball to right field, they scored a run. Then Mookie Bets followed up with the base hit to right that score two, and the Dodgers put a five spot up on the scoreboard in the seventh inning. Two more in the eighth on the Andy pat has two run home run and the Dodgers were off and running at that point. The bullpen locked it down and the Dodgers get their ninety fifth victory of this season. A lot of great postgame reaction here on FI seventy LA Sports. Hope you enjoyed the Dodgers' Clubhouse show. Great job by our own David Vasse inside the Dodgers' clubhouse, the celebration, the champagne, the beer that was flowing, he had, Andrew Freeman, Dave Roberts, Will Smith. You heard from Gavin Lucks, Jack Flaherty, Clayton Kershaw, Freddie Freeman, Walker Bueller, Max Munths even chimed in as well while Gavin lux was talking with DV. A great job by David inside that clubhouse. It never gets old to hear these guys celebrating and especially winning the division. Now, certainly this is just the first check mark, right, This is just that first box you want to check off to get to a World Series championship. That goes without saying, but you celebrate the accomplishment of a marathon season. One hundred and sixty two games. The Dodgers are three away from completing that, and the Dodgers clinched the division for the eleven time in twelve years. It's a huge accomplishment. It is a feat that is hard to do, to go over the course of a six month season and when everybody y else is starting to falter away. To stand there as the champions of your division, first place in the NL West, and to do it and dominate for more than a decade is really impressive. It's it's certainly the first check that they want to have as far as this twenty twenty four season. Next up is the playoffs. You want to win a World Series, no doubt about it. And we got a lot of time to get into that talk and what the Dodgers' postseason plans will be, what the rotation could look like. But tonight is a night of celebration because what the Dodgers did tonight through all the injuries this pitching staff, that it didn't just take five starters. It took seventeen different starters for the Dodgers this year, forty different pitchers that have taken the mound at Dodger Stadium. The amount of injuries that they've had to endure in the rotation from the start of the season until now getting ready for the postseason, the injuries to Max Munsey missing an extended amount of time, Mookie Betts with the broken hand out for almost two months, Freddie Freeman battling through a broken finger, Tascar Hernandez being a guy that you can really count on for the most part, night in and night out to be in that Dodger lineup. The ups and downs of a season, barring not even factoring in the injuries, just ups and downs, streaks and the peaks in the valleys that you go through as a baseball player, the two week stretches in which you were one for thirty five or then you turn around and you're ten for twenty five the next series. It's so up and down. It is a marathon. It is so grueling, and for this Dodgers team at the end of it to be celebrating an NL West championship, absolutely absolutely everybody in that clubhouse, from Ben Kisparius to Tyler Glassnew to Clayton Kershaw and everybody in between that's taking the mound for this Dodger staff, to everybody that's gotten at bat for this Dodger team, whether they're here right now or not. It's a celebration. It takes everybody, as Tommy Lisorda said, to pull on that rope for the Dodgers to now have the most divisional titles since nineteen sixty nine, at twenty two, more than the Yankees. By the way, the Braves have had twenty three divisional titles since nineteen sixty nine, the Dodgers at twenty two, the Yankees at twenty one, and the Yankees clenched the Al East earlier today over the Orioles. But certainly a night to celebrate for Dodger fans. And I want to hear from you at eight sixty six, ninet eighty seven, two five seventy, we're gonna hear in case you missed it, from Walker Bueller coming up in just a little bit, because she was fantastic. And I really hope Walker Buehler has come out the other side of this Tommy John surgery. And it's not one of these things where you come back, you get a couple of starts and hey, look he's back to his normal self. It takes a while, and it's taking Walker Buehler about two thirds of this season to come back. He didn't start the team on the active roster. They slow played him into this season. He has been up and down. He's been trying to figure it out on the mound. He's gotten better over the course of his last three starts, even though they earned runs are certainly there, but he looked better. And his last start he got a loss against the Rockies, but he had nine punchouts, didn't got a lot of great defensive help behind him, and tonight he was really good for five innings, allowed the one run on five hits. I only walked one batter, struck out, one was getting contact, getting ground ball out. And I hope we'll hear from Walker coming up a little bit. I hope he's turning the corner. I hope now the Walker Bueler is somebody they can rely on. Come this NLD. Yes, that starts a week from Saturday. But if you're leaving the game, I want to hear from you. Let's go to Sean. Sean was at the game tonight. Sean, welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having us on. Why tonight? What a great night, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great. First five or six innings. You're kind of waiting for this offense to wake up, Sean, but they put up that five spot in the seventh inning, and as soon as mix months he drew that leadoff walk from Joe Musgrove his first walk by the way in like three starts. You kind of felt like he was gonna start imploding on the mountain. Certainly he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was great to see the MVP chance every time show hey's the Freddie chance, the mookie chance. I mean, we're down in fifty three where all the og fans are myself the boat man, and we were having a good time down there. It felt really nice.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome. Thanks for checking in, Sewan. Drive home safe, Flyn. Glad you had a great time out there at the game tonight. Yeah, there was a almost a capacity crowd fifty two thousand, four to thirty three for the final game of the regular season. And by the way, a round of applause for you Dodger fans. Congratulations on being the best fans in baseball yet again. Three million, nine hundred and forty one thousand, two hundred and fifty one of you major way through the turnstiles at Dodger games for the eighty one home games in this twenty twenty four regular season, second highest attendance in the history at Dodger Stadium, only behind twenty nineteen. So congratulations to you the nearly four million Dodger fans who went out to Dodger games this year. And to think this Dodger team has just getting going with October right around the corner, Miteo, was that the game tonight, Miteoe Night of celebration? How cool was that being out there?
Speaker 4: Oh, it was so cool being out there. It was so cool making an attendance record, second in history behind twenty nineteen. We chased him Achado Jersey fan like sitting NEARBYO talking all sorts of mess. It was just the funniest experience, so great to hear all the Mookie chants, all the MVP chants. We did it for Fernando. We hope that he has a great retirement, amazing broadcasting career. It was just a very good atmosphere overall.
Speaker 5: Show Man.
Speaker 4: We got to keep this rolling into the postseason. And it's great to see Mookie bets getting hits when it matters now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt everybody can contribute to night, Mateo and I appreciate it. It's great to see Will Smith getting it started. And again it doesn't happen without Max Munsey the leadoff walk and he fell behind an account. This is important. He fell behind the count one and two and a sweeper outside doesn't chase ball two, a sweeper down in the zone. It could have been called strike three, but it wasn't full count, and then lays off a curveball inside for ball four. Right there, Folks started it great at bat for Max Munci. Then he hands it off to Will Smith, who falls behind the count a one. Then gets three straight pitches out of the zone, two of which weren't even close to set up a three to one fastball who he then absolutely crushes off Joe Muskrove to center field to tie the game. It's an important sequence there, and that's when the Dodgers just kept on going. Key Ky a Hernandez a single, Andy pa has reaches on base because of a catcher's interference, and then shoey Otani muscles one to right, scoring Key k a Hernandez Mookie Betts. The two run single. Five runs come across, all starting with the months Ye walk, the home run from Will Smith and then keep passing the baton down the line. Now, unfortunately Freddie Freeman in that seventh inning, it would lead the game because of the sprained right ankle, and in case you've missed it. X rays were negative. He's walking in a walking boot right now, just to alleviate the weight off that right ankle. And Freddie Freeman telling our own David Vas saying the rest of the media just a little while ago on the field that he is not making the trip to Colorado, and he doesn't need to make the trip. The Dodgers have sealed the division. They got three games in Denver. He doesn't need to go. Stay home, stay off a flight, get that ankle treatment around the clock, rejoin this Dodgers team for the workouts at Dodger Stadium next week. And you really don't have to do much between now and next Saturday. But get that ankle ready if you're Freddie Freeman, and he said he hopes to be ready for Game one of the NLDS, whoever the Dodgers are playing next Saturday night at Dodger Stadium. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Joey and COEO. Beach, thanks for being patient, Welcome to Dodger Talk. Joey, How you doing tonight?
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 6: Tim?
Speaker 2: I'm doing all right, that's great.
Speaker 6: I'm just calling.
Speaker 7: Because I'm not gonna lie. After Friday's lost, I didn't feel so good about our chances. I just didn't know how this team was gonna respond, And uh how did we respond? We responded amazingly when these last two games. I mean, if it wasn't for show Hail Tani, the bullpen, the way we showed up, I just don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm just ready.
Speaker 7: I'm ready for the playoffs. I'm ready to bring another World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about it. Joey appreciate it. It's gonna be an exciting postseason run here and we'll have it all for you on the Home of the Dodgers, A five seventy LA Sports. Yeah, that seventh Inny again, you can't talk about it enough what the Dodgers were able to do with Joe Musgrove struggling and the leadoff walk, the Will Smith home run, Tommy Edmans struck out for the first out of the game. But then key k A Hernandez comes up pitchhitting for Gavin Lux because they go to the bullpen in Tanner Scott, so Kei Ky Hernandez comes in, and Keiky Hernandez has not had a lot of success against Tanner Scott and Keith ky a Hernandez fell behind two to two in the count before getting another foul ball to two Slider connects for a single up the center Pahz reaches on the catcher's interference, continue to pass the baton as they did. Otani Betts, you know what happened. Five runs come across the plate. A great job by everybody in that sequence of the seventh inning. Don't need to be the hero. Will Smith put a great swing on that three to run fastball and drove it and got it out of the park. Great, but the guys behind him, look at all those hits. Line drive, base hit from Key k a Hernandez, the fielder, the catcher's interference, Otani's base hit, an absolute muscle job to write in between first and second, and then Mookie Betts with the laser over second into right center field to score two. Not guys trying to jacket out of the park. Nobody trying to hit it out of their shoes and get a three run home run and be the hero. Just put the ball, find a hole, guys moving around the bases and score, and the Dodgers take the lead and put a five sput up on the board. That right, there is playoff baseball. That is fantastic to see the Dodgers doing that, and we got to see more of it in the NLD as Richard in downtown Disney celebrating the Dodgers win an Angel Country. How you doing, Richard?
Speaker 5: Hey, how's the going brother?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 8: No, So, just giving you guys a call, just showing some love for Otani. You know, we'd love to see him celebrate, actually get a win, and you know, so being in Angel Country where we're seeing them regret getting rid of.
Speaker 9: Him or not even getting the chance to keep him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we love it.
Speaker 6: We love it. We love to see how Tony happy.
Speaker 8: We love to see him celebrate and.
Speaker 6: Go Dodgers.
Speaker 8: That's all we could say is, let's do this all.
Speaker 2: Right on, rich I appreciate the phone call if you missed showing Otani. We had him on in the Clubhouse show and speaking to the media. It was really cool to hear him talk about what it means to go to the postseason and he was asked about being hot here down the stretch and certainly the fifty to fifty accomplishment, it is what that is, that's unbelievable, right, But what he's done with the game winning hits last night, the go ahead run hits the tonight, the RBI single to give the Dodgers a three to two lead. He wants to win. That's why he came to the Dodgers. That's why he deferred the amount of money he did after his contract is done, because he wants to have a product around him and a team around him and be a part of a team collectively that wins. And here they are going into the postseason as divisional champs. And for Shoeotani, he's never been here before. Yeah, guys like Chris Taylor, Max Mounzee, Keiki Heernandi's Mookie Betts, Clayton Kershaw. These guys have been there, They've done it. They've been a part of a World Series team. They've been to the World Series, they've been deep into postseasons, they've won divisional titles multiple ones. And here's Shoeyotani, the greatest player on the planet, and this is his first time ever the chance to pop champagne, to celebrate with the team an accomplishment like this. Don't lose sight of that how much this means to show, Hey, Otani, Well, maybe you know the fifth one for some guys, the seventh one for some players on this team, the tenth one for the veterans like Clayton Kershaw. Huh. For Shoeotani, this is his first and he couldn't be more excited and more pumped up to go into October now and make a run for eleven wins in a World Series championship. Let's check out with Jose.
Speaker 1: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mos.
Speaker 2: I think that's important, Jose. For a lot of these guys, been there, done that. It's always special. You celebrate the accomplishment of one hundred and sixty two game season. Different group, every year, every roster is different, every year is different. But for show, Hey, this is the first time ever.
Speaker 5: I am telling you. I'll go back and repeat what he told me. After you got fifty to fifty and we got off the plane for Miami. The first thing he said is playoffs. I mean, that's all that was in his mind, Tim. I mean that just tells you more about the mentality, the makeup, the character of a player that every eye is on him globally around the world. I mean everywhere, even non baseball fans are watching Shoe Hill Toney and he's talking about winning with his teammates, and I'm so glad that he finally had the opportunity. He's finally going to get it done. But also on top of this, let's think about this him who had the bulls eye on him throughout September show, Hail Tony, who beat more teams than anybody else this September Clutch hits show, Hail Tony. So you know what, that's what he is?
Speaker 2: We is, uh Walker Bueller. Tonight he was with David in the clubhouse afterwards and it was it was so cool to hear him, Jose. It felt like there was a thousand pounds weight off of his shoulders. And he didn't get to win tonight, okay, but it was probably his best outing of this season, coming back from the Tommy John surgery, and I hope whatever, you know, he's been fighting mentally. I think maybe he's gotten over that and this could be a huge shot in the arm for this Dodger team going to October. Having a Walker Bueller that's pitching like this.
Speaker 5: As you said time and time again throughout this show, guys that have been there before, it doesn't matter what has happened this season and the telling that they faced him. Don't ever underestimate these guys because this taste of what's about to come, and so they thrive in what they look forward to to be challenged. And I even you know last night after the game, you're going tomorrow's Walkabila day. He is going to be solamped up. He wants to be the guy, not the guy looking from the outside as he was a couple of months ago when he was saying, well I'm hoping to be one of the key pieces here. He earned it today. Of course, we love to see the fight, we know what he was taken out, but overall he gave the Dodgers a chance to win by neutralizing a very good ball club. And he came today with the idea to be aggressive and coming to pitch, to not just throwing, but pitching. And you got to tip your hat to say, guy's gone through so much adjustments that he doesn't like to he's adjusted to and also not getting a lot of russ support at times or poor defense. He never ever broke when he could have broken. He just bent a little bit more and said this is gonna make you stronger. And I want to go down from the booth and go out there and get my hut myself. It's like, man, this is people have no idea. Played at the highest level, fifty thousand expectations, the padres and everything that's gone over your career. To tell me, John, I mean, this has to be one of the best moments for him in his career too, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it. Jose. Final thing, the ankle injury to Freddy Freeman. He said X rays were negative. He's going to stay back and just get to work rehabbing this thing in order to get ready for the NLDS which begins next Saturday, October fifth. An ankle injuries one of those things that can linger. And what's the gist you get to kind of feeling about this ankle injury and how it can affect Freddy moving forward.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to see how it feels tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Number one.
Speaker 5: Obviously it's going to be nice. He's not going to be in a plane. But he's a big man. There's a lot of moving pieces, long limbs and things like that. But Freddie want to stay in the game. Let me think about that. And he's the moment he will stand the game. But dizzy guy also plays through the fracture in his finger, and you think about everything he's gone through, all the many challenges with his body, his swing, not being there all season, and he will tell you, but the fact that he wanted to stay there today tells you a whole lot more about in his mind. So thankfully he's going to have the rest for the rest of the season, and then on top of that that hopefully would get him back to a place at least where he's comfortable and he's not risking himself because you don't also risk losing more Freddie as Tora progresses by making a decision premature, so that's the only responds but obviously on a very good spot to go out there and wait and make sure that he's properly taken care of.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. Jose, appreciate it. Save flight to Colorado. We'll figure out who's pitching tomorrow, what the lineup looks like. But tonight a night of celebration. I imagined even on that plane heading to Colorado.
Speaker 5: Mochi would say, you know what, let the game be the game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Whatever, all right, Jose appreciate it. We'll check in with Jose once the team gets to Colorado. I don't even know who's scheduled to pitch tomorrow for the Dodgers. I mean, whoever's scheduled to start. We'll still see if they keep that rotation as far as the three game series in Denver intact or adjust it accordingly now knowing they're going to not play a game then until next Saturday. We do know Saturday Yamamoto is scheduled to start, to keep him on schedule then to maybe start game one of the NLDS. That'll put him seven days away if he starts on Saturday, so we'll find out. The Dodgers haven't announced who they're going to start on Friday. In the opener, we do know that Cal Quantrill will start the venture right hander will go for Colorado. And to think, the Dodgers got three more games to play, and yeah, they clinched the division, but they still only have a one game lead over the Philadelphiaffillies for the number one overall spot in the National League. And that's something to keep in mind. You get a home field advantage in the NLCS as the number one seed and best record overall in baseball, So that's important to keep in the back of your mind. Yeah, they're going to Colorado for three games. You may think, Ah, we're just gonna throw a lineup out there, let's see how fast we can get these games over with and how fast we can get back to La on Sunday. Well, yeah, you got a little bit something to play for if you want that number one overall seed in the National League and have home field advantage in the NLCS. And also dictates who you're gonna play in the NLDA. Yes, would you rather play Arizona or Milwaukee or would you rather play New York or San Diego? If that's how it does play out over the next three days. Currently those what the standings look like? A second quick break, we'll come back. We'll get to more of your phone calls. What a night for the Dodgers. A night to celebrate a huge accomplishment, winning the NL West for the eleven time in the last twelve years. A lot of guys on this team have done it before, have popped champagne bottles, have popped open beer cans, and celebrated in the clubhouse. For some guys like show Hey o Tani, first time ever in their career they get to celebrate. It's an accomplishment worthy of a celebration, and the Dodgers doing exactly that is they clenched the NL West tonight a seventy two win over the San Diego Padres. Dodger Talk continues right here on an FI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Be anywhere at any time and you can hear passed up episodes of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: All of those things.
Speaker 1: Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too.
Speaker 2: Come find them.
Speaker 1: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Three balls in a strike once you're on first, no ops of the seven.
Speaker 2: The pitch this swings I plypole centerfield. Hit dude. Will Smith spokes them all the center field. He left no doubt time the game with his twenty home run of the ear. Will Smith with one swing of the bat in the seventh inning tie things up. Dodgers Stadium was rocking as the Dodgers would tack on more five run seventh inning as they come back and beat the San Diego Padres. Tonight by final of seven to two. Tim Kate's back with you here on postgame Dodger Talk. Daniel Jeweler is the official sponsor of the Trip Around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniels Jewler's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and a fifty dollars gift card towards any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Joe Muskgrove was dealing tonight for the first six innings. Walker Bueller went toe to toe with him for the first five. The Dodgers turned it over to the bullpen and they gave up a run Evan Phillips a run in the sixth inning as the Padres were up two to nothing, and you kind of felt like, oh no, Joe Muskrove a low pitch count. He's been dealing for the first six innings. This bullpen's ready to go for the Padres. It wasn't looking too good. And the leadoff walk from Max Munsey and then the two run home run from Will Smith, and all of a sudden, the wheels fell off Joe Muskrove and the Padres tonight and momentum. It's a scary thing. It can change so quickly, and it did tonight with that home run from Will Smith. The Dodgers then would pass the baton, they'd score a run on a show. He Otani rbi single, his one hundred and twenty sixth RBI this season to give him a three two leading, the Mookie Betts a two run single RBI seventy four and seventy five, a five to two lead for the Dodgers. And then Andy Pa has hit a home run which I'm not sure has landed yet four hundred and twenty eight feet. I mean, honestly, he was maybe five. I mean, just from the camera angle being here in studio, it looked like he was maybe five to ten feet away from hitting it onto the concourse in the circle bar behind the bullpen in left field. He absolutely crushed it. They showed Kevin Kiermyer on the Dodger bench, hanging over the railing and celebrating with Andy Pozz as he ran around the bases doing that kind of dance, and Kevin Kiermeyer just mouthed, oh my, he couldn't believe how hard and how far that Andy Pa has home run went into the back of the bullpen there at Dodgers Stadium. So the Dodgers cletched the NL West with a seven to two win tonight. Now it's off to Denver for the start of a three game in series. We'll find out who the Dodger starting pitcher will be probably tomorrow, as the Dodgers have not officially announced who that will be. Jeff and Sierra Madre joins us now on Dodger Talk. Welcome, Jeff, how you doing.
Speaker 6: Oh thanks stim Thanks for taking my call. You know you are a stud. I love Dodger Talk. I listened on iHeartRadio. I stream it because the mountains are right here and you can't get you know, the blowtorch.
Speaker 2: I feel like a big butt is coming.
Speaker 6: What do you think about the rivalry between the Dodgers and the Pods. I mean, I went to stay in the state, but I'm I was born in LA. But you know, you know, I kind of let they're they're the dads. How do you feel about the Podrais as a rivalry.
Speaker 2: I appreciate Jeff the Giants. Yeah, well, certainly over the history of baseball and going back to New York and the fact that these two teams, the Dodgers and Giants, came out out in the same time, the same year, the same offseason. There's that, and there's a long history with the Giants, certainly, and that's one rivalry, But who's to say you can't have another rivalry. And I'd like to think the Arizona Diamondbacks are starting to build themselves a little bit of a rivalry with the Dodgers as they get better. And certainly what they did last year knocking out the Dodgers and the NLDS played him tough all season long this year. In the last ten years, yeah, there has emerged a rivalry between the Dodgers and Padres. Certainly. Does it have the history. Does it have the Wikipedia page that you can go look and say, wow, look at all the great names that play, and look at how many times this team knocked off that team and ruined this team season and beat this team in the postseason and went on a winning World Series. It doesn't have that Wikipedia history. It just doesn't. But over the last ten years it is certainly escalated and it has certainly got it heated the Dodgers and Padres, and I think it's turned in in the moment right now, as we speak here in twenty twenty four, the rivalry between the Dodgers and the Padres right now as we speak, is better than the Dodgers and Giants. Now, the history isn't there, certainly, but in the moment, yeah, they've had better contests, more competitive. Both teams are fighting for something. I mean, really, the Dodgers and Giants. Outside of a couple of years ago when they were, you know, looking for the best record in baseball in the most wins that year, you know, either the Giants have been really good or the Dodgers have been really good. It hasn't been really competitive back and forth. Hasn't been much of a rivalry to talk about. But yeah, you can make a case to certainly the Padres and Dodgers over the last ten years, maybe the last eight years, it is certainly escalated. Franken Monrovia is next up here on Dodger Talk. Hi Frank, how you doing?
Speaker 6: Hey Sam?
Speaker 9: Great Tarri your voice?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 9: First one to give two shout outs. One to Walker Bueller for stepping onto that mound today and showing some true leadership when you know the bats were going silent. He stayed cool up there, went toe to toe with Musk Grove and said, you know what, I'm gonna hold on to this game. You know what, Anthony Bonda got the win, but Walker Bueller won everyone over today with that performance. Second thing is, you know what, props to you.
Speaker 2: Guys in the booths.
Speaker 9: Okay, you guys in the booth, you Dave, everybody in the booth has worked just as hard as the guys in the field. You don't suffer the same injuries, but you guys have the same issues going on, and you know what, props to you. I know it's been rough.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 9: You know I missed Charlie early on in the year, and you know I still to this day wish him the best in recovery. And then the last thing is rip Oakland A's.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, Frank, appreciate it. Yeah, today is last day of the Oakland A's and their coliseum in Oakland, after that long history of being there, Rick Monday having helped move the team from Kansas City to Oakland, and the history day having that ballpark, the World Series, the World Series losses, the players that have come through there. Yeah, sad day in the Bay Area with the Oakland A's in their final game at the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum. But you know what, there's a lot more up to that in that city that's happening. And the politics with the new stadiums is it is what it is. It's way above any my pay grade, anybody else is. But to watch it from kind of a distance here, to see the Raiders leave, to see the Oakland A's just not able to come to an agreement and get a stadium up there even though they wanted to. And say what you want about ownership up there in Oakland, say what you want about the politics up there in Oakland and the city council and the inability to the counties to come together and figure out funding all that stuff. That's that's all. It is, what it is, that's outside of between the lines of baseball, but between the lines. Certainly sad day for Oakland A's fans and the fans up there in the Bay Area to see a team leave, go to Sacramento for the next couple of years and then off to Vegas eventually with that new stadium gets built. You mentioned Walker Bueller and what he did tonight, and yeah, he didn't get to win it wasn't a tax performance, so this peak from Walker Buehler, but dang it, it was a really good performance from Walker Buehler, his best of the year. Five solid innings. He begged to go back out there to Dave Roberts in the dugout for the six. Dave Roberts elected to go to Evan Phillips in the bullpen. But Walker Buehler one run, five hits, one walk, and that walk turned up to be the run that scored. One strikeout, got a lot of contact ground balls, was getting the head in the count. Walker Buehler today raised his hand, stood up and said, yep, I'm back and I want to be a part of this postseason roster. And afterwards in the clubhouse, listen to Walker Bueler talk with David Vas say a Walker Buehler in his voice, sounds like a guy who's got one thousand pounds weight off his shoulders.
Speaker 7: All right, we're.
Speaker 11: Here with the big game pitcher himself. You taine Walker Buehler. Walker for you to come out tonight and pitch five strong innings. After how much you've tried to get this together.
Speaker 2: What does it mean to you?
Speaker 12: It's nice to contribute fine, Yeah, this is I've been very fortunate to pitching some very big games and do okay, And no, this is what I play this game for.
Speaker 11: What was your mentality coming into this game, not just today, but leading up to it, knowing what was at stake?
Speaker 12: This is a playoff game for us, right, Like the number two team in the division. US kind of came into our destiny and we win the game, win the division. Like that's kind of what what gets me going, and so not much mentally, just go And so now I'm excitic. Obviously our team, you know, has carried me and let me kind of tread water for a long time. And it's a nice, nice failure to have a good one in a big spot.
Speaker 11: I'm not sure if you're aware of this. The last time you clinched a division championship with fans at Dodger Stadium was Game one sixty three back in twenty eighteen. For you to do it in front of this crowd, is it even sweeter?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: You remember Game one sixty three, don't you?
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 13: I don't remember.
Speaker 12: No, No, I mean, listen, man, this this is what I play this game for. And I'm really proud of our team to do it, come from behind, and it's uh, there's a good feeling around.
Speaker 8: This team right now.
Speaker 11: You wanted more, didn't you.
Speaker 2: Of course you're gonna get more. Buehler.
Speaker 11: There's another three rounds to go and Walker, but Tane Buhler will be there. Never a doubt that ever watched Walker Buehler pitch. They know what you're about, and nobody should be surprised wins. You see guys later, there he goes Walker Buehller, the number one horse for the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 2: All right, David Vez, there will Walker Bueller. You could just feel the confidence that he has now and certainly the weight that has been taken off his shoulders for a guy who has been trying to come back from his second Tommy John surgery. Wanted to come back last September, and they decided just you know, wait, let's get to twenty twenty four. No need to rush it back. He didn't start the season in the rotation, and when he came back, just did not see the results that he had hoped for. And this certainly the Dodgers had hoped for. But a credit to this front office, this coaching staff, Mark Prior Dave Roberts, Connor mcguinnis, everybody involved in the decision making. They didn't give up on him, and very easily could have said, you know what, this isn't Walker Buehler's year, final year of his contracts. We're just going to go in a different direction. And I think maybe part of it was because of injuries. You know, quite frankly, they needed him to go out there in pitch because other guys were hurt. And while Walker Buller necessarily wasn't hurt, he was trying to figure out his mechanics, maybe the mental side of it, whatever, and constantly going out there and battling, giving up four runs, giving up three runs, giving up four runs in three and a third of the Brewers, like he did coming back and get up seven runs to the Rockies in Denver, not able to get out of the fourth inning, just struggling and not getting the results that he wanted. But his last few outings things changed. You know, he went out there and I think it was Jack Flaherty who said it the outing he had in Atlanta, Yeah, it was Jack Win the postgame show with David Vasse and talking about Walker Buller and Jack Flerity you remember, went out and didn't have a good outing, and Walker Buehler came back and had a really good six innings. Struck out five, allowed two runs, only one earn, gave up three hits, got a no decision out of it, and the Dodgers won the game because they scored a bunch of runs late after Bueler was out of the game. But that was that moment where you're like, Okay, maybe he's turned the corner. Comes back, pitches into the sixth inning last weekend, gives up four runs, but strikes out nine, only walks one. You know, has command there, had a good feel for all three of his pitches, all right back to back starts, feeling good, he's progressing, he's kind of making that next step. And tonight Walker Buehler comes out and was really good for five innings, one run, five hits, The walk came back to bite him. One strikeout, seventy one pitches, seven ground ball outs, got a head in the count, good command, a really good outing from Walker Buehler, and fingers crossed. Now three straight starts in which he has gotten better and progressed and got deeper and kept the Dodgers in games and kept the other team off the scoreboard for the most part without those big innings. You know, we could see Walker Buehler in this NLDS for this Dodger team. Cody garden Grove is next up here on Dodger Talk. Hi Cody, Hi Tim?
Speaker 13: All right, Frank, touchdown it. I'd like to say thank you to all the announcers and the guys in the booth. I'm a person gentleman who's blind, went blind about three and a half years ago, and they do a great job. Rick, Tim, Charlie, Steven, you, DV all, you guys do a great job. I lost it about three and a half years ago. As I said, I was able to watch the game my thirty three and a half years of my life. Now I'm thirty seven, I don't have any sight anymore, so I have to listen to you guys. You guys do an awesome job of announcing and describing everything that goes on. All you guys do is you tell it as it goes, you know, I mean, yeah, and it's it's really encouraging to turn the radio on and have you guys announcing the game.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, very nice to you to say that, Cody. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 13: How you guys do is announce it and tell it it lies.
Speaker 6: I love.
Speaker 13: I loved listening to you guys. I love turning the radio on it and hearing it. I wanted to call in the day show and congratulations with the Dodgers too, Holing eleven of twelve years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt and show, Oh Tony, what a season he's had.
Speaker 13: Oh what a season?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Show, Hey.
Speaker 13: I wanted to call in the day he went fifty to fifty. I remember exactly where I was when he hit his fiftieth home run. I went fifty stolen bases and I wanted to call in that day, but I didn't get through that day.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Cody, you think this team's got enough pitching?
Speaker 6: I think they do.
Speaker 13: They just need to harness the energy.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, And I love how the offense is. I love how the offense Cody is different, guys, obviously.
Speaker 13: Show everybody contributes in their own way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome you tonight Will Smith at the home run. Will Smith's been struggling at the plate and comes through with a huge home run to night.
Speaker 13: Yes, they did. Everybody harness. Everybody contributes to their own way and they harness their energy. They just need to harness it and they'll get in their own they'll get no vibe in a role.
Speaker 2: Well, bless you, Cody. We appreciate the nice words. Thank you so much for listening to all the Dodger games here on a five seventy. And thank you, Hope if you're listening all October long, and it's a deep run, right, yes, sir, we go all the way. That's right, all right, Cody, I appreciate. Don't be a stranger. Check back in here on Dodger Talk. Awesome. Love to thank you for the nice compliments. But yeah, we're we're here enjoying Dodger baseball right along with you. Colin the East here every single game, Dwayne McDonald, every single game in the booth. It's a grind. It's a grind for the broadcast cruise, it's it's a grind for everybody, but it's fun when the t win. Imagine being a part of a broadcast crew for a team that wins sixty games, for a team that doesn't make the playoffs, year in and year out, like the Angels, being a part of a team that just struggles to get to October ever or occasionally, and to now go eleven out of the last twelve years. As long as I've been along with this Dodger broadcast, doing all the Dodgers on decks and joining you here on getaway days and offseason Dodger talks, that's all I know is Dodger playoffs. It's all I know. Yeah, the one year they didn't win the division, they still went to the playoffs. Twelve straight playoff appearances, pretty remarkable. Isaac is next up here on postgame Dodger Talk. Isaac, how you doing.
Speaker 14: How's it going, Tim, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I feel great. Now the Walker Bueller hopefully is turning the corner and maybe you can have an extra pitcher that can rely upon now come October. I'm excited.
Speaker 10: Nice.
Speaker 14: Nice, I'd like to say thank you for taking my call, But what I'd like to say is what an amazing and crucial performance by Walker Buehler Considering what these podjets have been doing lately. I think it's just a testament to this guy's grit, his determination, and that dog in him. I think it was refreshing to see contributions by Will Smith and Andy Pajes. And you know, Tim, I know it's been some time since that unbelievable show, Hey fifty to fifty game, but I think it's just unreal that it just feels like that magic hasn't faded and I just feel like there's so much more in store. And if anything, I think it just shows that this Dodger team just you know, loves getting over those hurdles. It's what we've been doing all year and just you know, can't wait to see what we have coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. I'm excited, Isaac. I think about this Dodgers team and the ruts and the ups and downs they've gone through, and you know, well, we're not hitting a stride at the right time, is what Dodger fans were saying. We're in a rut right now. We lost, you know, two of four in Atlanta. How do we split the braves? We're down right now? How do we lose the series opener in Miami? I'm that the rest of that road trip, I mean, what's going on? No, you want to hit your pace right before the All Star you know, right before the postseason starts and for the Dodgers. You know, you gotta start feeling good about the way they're playing right now, the way they're coming back and winning games, the way different guys are contributing, whether it's Taoscar, whether it's Tommy Edmond, whether it's Will Smith tonight or a Max Monsey getting it started, or of course Freddie Freeman MOOKI and show Hey, o Tani, it's pretty fun. Mark's gonna be our final call here tonight in the Huntingson Beach area. Mark, how you doing?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 10: Pretty good yourself? I'm doing great, okay, especially after the night right. Hey, one thing that someone haven't touched on unless I missed it, this game could have gone a lot differently if that interference call hadn't been called, and if the UMP had just decided to see it but ignore it, the game could have been a real nail binder, even worse, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of things went the Dodgers way. But again, credit to the Dodgers for creating that chaos so speak, and I appreciate it. Mark. And it started with the leadoff walk to Max Munsey. It did. Joe Muskrove was at what seventy two pitches. Colin right around there, just to chat over seventy pitches going in to that seventh inning. It's not like he was running at a gas as far as pitch count wise, but he got into the seventh inning, got a head in the count to Max Munsey, and then Max Munsey was able to draw the walk to lead it off the inning, and then a three to one pitch that he would probably want back in Max with Will Smith and who crushes it to center field for a home run. Yeah, you can see the momentum change absolutely quickly in favor of the Dodgers tonight. And sure the infield or the single from Keky Hernandez off the bench was big because he had struggled to going into that matchup against Tanner Scott in their head to have matchups over his career. But he gets the better of Tanner Scott for a single. Andy Pajez. As you mentioned, the catcher's interference was big. It was big because the game was still tied. So now you've got runners on fest first and second, one out, and the lineup flips over to show hey Otani and what happens He singles to right gives the Dodgers a lead, Mookie Betts tax on two more and all of a sudden it's a five to two Dodgers lead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, one little thing happening, yes, is big, But you have to look at the entire inning and how it unfolded for the Dodgers, and how it unraveled for the San Diego Padres. Just an epic night for the Dodgers, and really again, something to celebrate. I know some of you Dodger fans want to say I always care about World Series. I always care about what happens in October. To wake me up when they get there, and we could talk about a divisional series and getting past the Padres or the diamondbacksers. We haven't done that other last few years. You know what, for five minutes, celebrate another divisional championship. Get that negativity out of your mind at least for a few minutes, please, Dodger fans, and celebrate over the one hundred and fifty nine games so far, the Dodgers win a divisional title, all the ups and downs, all the injuries, all the pitchers, all the bullpen arms they've used, guys they brought in, and bats they've used, and injuries. They've had to win the division and to do it like they did tonight, celebrate it, get ready for the Rockies for three hang on to that top spot in the National League, and let's get ready for October. That's gonna do it. For Dodger Talk tonight, many thanks to Colin He again, Colin E's here every day during the Dodger season, all right, every game spring training, one hundred and sixty two. He doesn't get a game off. He's tried, but he can't. And now we all together get ready for Colorado in three games against the Rockies. Who's gonna start? Who knows. I'm sure they'll announce it tomorrow morning. But for right now, TBA who will get to start in the series opener? Yoshinoba Yama Mooda will start on Saturday, and then I'm sure Sunday will be the fastest game in the history of baseball as the Dodgers look to get back to LA and get a couple of days off and get some rest to watch the Wildcard Round, get some workouts in, and get ready for the start of a postseason run. Remember, eleven wins and you win a championship. That's what happens when the tournament starts next Saturday for the Dodgers. Thanks to the Dodgers tonight for coming back and winning and making it as celebration here on Dodger Talk. They do it five runs into seven, two more in the eighth. Then they beat the Padres seven to two, thanks to Colin Ye. Thanks to you for listening being a part of the show. Sorry, Brad Paisley didn't have time for you tonight, Maybe tomorrow. Thanks for being with us. Ben Maller show coming up next right here on Ami seventy LA Sports