Speaker 1: Welcome back to our next series from the Path Went Chile. I'm Robin and once again actually is still on a break. Hopefully she'll be back soon. But we're gonna still use our formula where I share the details about a case with Jewles and she gives off her live reaction. So, Jules, have you ever heard about the disappearance of Tommy Gibson.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but I'm sure you're going to share all the details with me.
Speaker 1: Well, this is about the disappearance of a two and a half year old which was once featured on Unsolved Mysteries. And have you heard of the song Runaway Trained by Soul Asylum or seen the music video for it? It came out in nineteen ninety three, I believe.
Speaker 2: As any good millennial, I of course remember that video, and I remember the song, and I remember all of the hype that went along with it, and so yeah, it was one of those haunting videos that I can picture in my head. I think of like ones that made a real social impact at that time, and I think of like Pearl jam Jeremy's Spoken, and I think of Soul Asylum's Runaway Train.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was a pretty big video at the time because they showed photographs to think of between twenty and thirty children that were provided by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and over the years, a lot of these children have been found, but the Tommy Gibson one sticks out because he was featured at the very end of the video. His was the last photograph to be displayed, and he was also the youngest at only two and a half years old, and he technically hasn't been found, but there has been kind of a resolution in this case, but it's a very frustrating, unsatisfying one, and there are still a ton of unanswered questions. It garnered more notoriety because the story was featured on Unsolved Mysteries and the prime suspect at the time was Tommy's father, Larry Gibson, who also happened to be a sheriff's deputy. It's not often when you see law enforcement people be suspected of being responsible for the disappearances of their own kid, and as we're going to talk about, Larry Gibson's interview on the show was very suspicious because he seemed like one of the most unemotional fathers ever who had lost a child, so a lot of people got bad vibes from him, and like I mentioned, there is a bit of a resolution. But I remember when I covered this on the Trail Went Cold two years ago, my friend Charlie from the Crime Lines podcast said, this is the most unsolved solved case I've ever seen, because even though we got a bunch of hypothetical scenarios about what could happen to Tommy, I still can't say with any certainty if any of them are true.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting too, because when we look back in retrospect at a case like this, and when we're looking at somebody like Larry Gibson and the way that he's choosing to grieve his son or his demeanor on unsolved mysteries, when we're looking at it through a lens of today, we understand that people process information and grief in very different ways. Some people shut down and are very unemotional, And so I'm really interested to hear how much of that would be a perception of the time, and how much of that would be kind of an objective fact, in that as much as you can make somebody's you know, demeanor or emotional state an objective fact, but more that that is a typical reaction to most people who are seeing Larry speak about his son, and they're not really registering any kind of sadness or any kind of grief when he speaks. So that is going to be really interesting to me because when we talk about these old cases, we have so much more of an understanding of mental health today than we did in like the eighties, nineties, early two thousands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. If all they had against Larry was his very unemotional interview, I might not be as suspicious of them. But of course, as we're going to find out, he did a number of very odd things on the day his son went missing, so you can understand why law enforcement put their focus on him. But we have seen documented cases where a parent came across really badly when talking about their missing or murdered child and it turned out they were completely innocent. Do you remember the disappearance of Isabelle Sellus from Arizona?
Speaker 2: No not ringing a bell.
Speaker 1: This was a girl who went missing from her bedroom in the middle of the night, and for years they raked her father over hot coals because they released the audio of a nine to one one call he did reporting or missing, where he sounded very unemotional, almost flippant, and there was some suspicious stuff going on the house. His other children were removed by Child Protective Services. But it actually turned out that she was kidnapped by an intruder who broke into her bedroom, took her, and then murdered her, and that the father was completely innocent. So there are cases like this where it seems so obvious the parents did it, but turnout it actually wasn an intruder all along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is really perplexing, I think, just because from a statistical point of view, when law enforcement is looking at who could have done this? When someone is harmed within a family unit and they're young, like of that age, I think more often than not it is somebody close to them, somebody within their circle. It's not a stranger abduction. That is a very small percentage of the cases that we see, and so you can see how sometimes law enforcement will get tunnel vision and then without even realizing it, they start cherry picking these little details and go, well, this fits my narrative, rather than looking at the totality of evidence and exploring other avenues. So we see that far too often with cases. Another one that really sticks with me, and this is like a little left field, but it's also a missing child, And I'm curious what your thoughts are because the parents behaved really or very strangely. Is Door Koons Junior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen a documentary about that one, and I definitely have my suspicions about the parents, but I do know that they had another independent eyewitness with them. I believe it was a friend of the grandfather they did, yeah, who has always stuck to the same story, even though he does not seem like someone who would be very skilled at lying. And so that's kind of the thing that gives me pause because I'm thinking that, well, i can see how some people suspect this is a cover up and maybe the child was killed beforehand, it wasn't even taken on this camping trip. But because this friend has always maintained that Door was there, I'm not entirely sure what to think on this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you're dealing with like you're dealing with a mother in that case and potentially a father who have a lot of their own issues. They have financial issues, potential mental health issues, and so when people appear as though they're hiding things. It's not always that they've done something horrible to their child. It couldn't be a myriad of other things, especially if they're involved in things that may be illegal, or they're taking illicit substances anything like that. So it is very interesting with the dynamics end up being with law enforcement. So I'm really interested to hear the strange moves that Larry made in this case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because as we're going to talk about, he was a sheriff's deputy, and usually law enforcement are willing to protect their own and give them the benefit of the doubt. So the fact that law enforcement was willing to point the finger at him and believe he was responsible for what happened to his son makes this a very unique case. So Tommy Gibson was only thirty two months old at the time he disappeared. This took place in nineteen ninety one in Azalea, Oregon, which is an unincorporated community located in Douglas County. At the time, Tommy was living with his parents, Larry and Judy Gibson, and he had also a four year old older sister named Karen. They originally hailed from Montana, but had been living in Oregon for about three years at this point, and Larry was working as a deputy for the Douglas County Sheriff's Office in the town of Glendale, ten miles away from their home, and on the day this incident took place, Larry's half brother Michael, also happened to be staying there and would be a witness to what happened. So at around eleven thirty am on the morning of March eighteenth, nineteen ninety one, Larry said that he left his house to go jogging and claimed that while he was leaving, he saw Tommy playing in the front yard by the porch and told him to stay there until his sister came out to play with him. So Larry's original story is that he went on a jog on a private dirt road and covered a distance of approximately two and a half miles, and that he returned to his house forty seven minutes later and he noticed that Tommy wasn't playing outside, and when Larry went in, he spoke to his wife, Judy, who said that I went outside ten minutes after you left, I discovered Tommy was gone. So I just assumed that he went with you, and Larry said, no, he was not with me. I left alone, and that's when Judy started panicking and they contacted the police in order to report Tommy missing.
Speaker 2: Okay, first red flag. So, Larry, you're going to go on a run that's nearly one hour, you're covering two and a half miles, and you have a son that's under three years old who's playing alone in the driveway. Do you not communicate with your wife, Judy that you're going to go on a long run, And why would she assume that you're going to bring this like nearly three year old child with you. It seems like a major breakdown in communication, which seems really atypical in just my experience from dealing with friends who have small children like that, Like you've got to keep it tight, you've got to keep it like almost like the military, in that this child is doing this thing, this child is doing the other this parent is taking care of the child at this very moment, and this other parent is responsible for this child and we're not seeing this here and that is really ringing some alarm bells for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as far as I can tell, Larry did tell Judy that he was going on a jog, so she knew he would be gone. But it does seem strange to me that she would come outside see that Tommy has gone and automatically assume that Tommy had gone with him, Like how typical was it for him to go on a jog while carrying around his child. That just seems very weird. And I will say that Judy is kind of a wild card in this case because even though law enforcement has never directly has never suspected that she was directly involved in what happened to Tommy, they have wondered if she perhaps knew more than she was letting on and may not have been telling the full truth about the events that happened that day. So once they reported missing, of course this was the child of a law enforcement figure, so they went all out with the search effort. They got the US Air Force Reserve, and they got the Oregon State Police and a search and rescue effort and had around two hundred people and they searched like all throughout the surrounding area because this home was pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, a very rural area, surrounded by a lot of mountains and wooded area, and one scenario which is never really been pushed for much in this case is the possibility that Tommy could have wandered off on his own and died of exposure. I think their logic was is if this had happened, they would have found something, because he's only thirty two months old, and I don't know how far he could have gotten in the span of around forty seven minutes. But they searched like everywhere and cannot find any trace, nothing to suggest that he had been attacked by an animal or something. So initially they were thinking that he may have been the victim of a stranger abduction, even though this home was located in the middle of nowhere. So six weeks after Tommy went missing, the Douglas County Sheriff's office announced that after meeting with the Oregon State Police, who had taken over the investigation, they had made the decision to put Larry on administrative leave and that he was indefinitely suspended with pay. They didn't make it sound like this was suspicious at first. They said this was only done to avoid a potential conflict of interest and give Larry a chance to recover from the stress of losing Tommy, and when you look back through newspapers dot com at the original press coverage, initially there's nothing to indicate that Larry is under suspicion, and he actually comes across well because while he was on leave, he did an interview where he said that he was taken an initiative to collect fingerprints from a lot of the local children because he had done that with Tommy a short time before he went missing, and it says that it's always good to have these children's fingerprints on file just in case they go missing and you want to do some sort of comparison if you find a body, because of course this was still in the early days of DNA testing, so fingerprints might have been the best chance for an identification. And he also took the initiative to record a song for Tommy called Tommy, Where Are You Tommy, and had actually played on the local radio where he's saying about the grief of losing his son and wanting to get him back. And at the outset, you're assuming, oh, that's really sad and sweet that he's doing that, But then when you think that, hmm, Larry may have been responsible for what happened, to his son himself, then recording a song about his disc appearance and broadcasting on the radio seems incredibly odd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like Jewel kaylor level, Like he's just being flagrant about it. If that is indeed the case that he's responsible for a son's disappearance, it just like greeks of narcissism. Somebody that needs to have this, He needs to have the public be like, oh, poor Larry, Look what a hero he is. He's lost his son and he's recording this inspirational song, and the fact that he took the initiative to get these fingerprints from these children, like, what a great guy. He could never be responsible for what happened to Tommy. And it seems like you could view this through two different lenses, And of course I'm viewing it through the lens of skepticism, because you've told me that the way that Larry moves throughout this is very strange and that suspicion fell on him pretty quickly, and this is an unsolved, solved kind of a case, So of course I'm going to be side eyeing Larry. But if I didn't know all of that information, you hadn't told me any of that, I could have just thought, this is a father that's trying to get attention for the disappearance of his son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's what it looked like, because the time Larry did it, he was not yet under suspicion. He just looked like a reading father. So I'm sure the entire community felt immense sympathy for him. But I was going to talk about later, Larry seems like someone who actually aspired to have a music career ron So if he was guilty, then this is kind of a twisted thing where it's like, well, I've got a lot of publicity. Now I'm in the spotlight. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to potentially further my career to go into music. And I know there are other documented cases of this. I'm sure you've heard of the disappearance of Susan Powell, right, Oh, yes, And I know they did a long form podcast about her disappearance called Cold and they talked about her creepy father in lot.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that man was the worst.
Speaker 1: Yes, And do you recall him the podcast? I don't know if you listened to it. That they played recordings of a song that he recorded about her, which is like one of the worst pieces music ever produced. So it's always a red flag when people associated with like missing people who are under suspicion decide to record songs about the victims.
Speaker 2: I truly wish that I could forget some of the details in that Susan Powell podcast, and that song is absolutely one of them. That family, like poor Susan my god having to be married to Josh Powell. And I can't remember what the father in law's name is, but just a top tier creep. And didn't he end up ending his life he died.
Speaker 1: I can't remember if he died of natural causes or he entered on his own life. But I know that Josh's brother died by suicide after jumping off a high place, so they've suspected that he might have had knowledge of what happened or was involved in the cover up. So it seems like the only logical person in that family was Josh's sister, who has openly spoken out about them. But it just seemed like what a horrible environment to grow up in. So it was finally on May the twenty third, nineteen ninety one, just over two months after Tommy went missing when the Oregon State Police filed a thirty one page AffA David outlining a number of reasons why they now considered Larry to be the prime suspect in his son's disappearance, and it concluded with the line quote the likelihood of Tommy Gibson being alive and meeting any fate other than death at the hands of Larry Gibson is extremely small end quote. So this allowed them to perform a search of the Gibson's home and they took a lot of items into evidence, but perhaps the strangest one is when they found a spent forty five caliber shell inside a dresser underneath a pair of children's underwear. So this shell would become a key piece of evidence in the case. And the fact that it appeared that Larry had gone to the trouble of putting it in a drawer with children's underwear seems to indicate that he was trying to hide it and hoped it would never be found.
Speaker 2: That is all kinds of creepy. The fact that you would hold onto this spent shell, so is this some kind of memento or trophy, And the fact that it's under children's underwear. It just up the creepiness factor of it just exponentially.
Speaker 1: And that's what's weird about it is because and this was such a key piece of evidence. I don't know why Larry wouldn't have just gotten rid of it to begin with, but maybe he just felt, well, I'm a law enforcement officer, no one will suspect me, and they will never search my home, so I'm just going to hide it in here, And of course it backfired on and when it was taken into evidence.
Speaker 2: I feel like in this case, there must have been such overwhelming evidence or such a feeling within the sheriff's department that Larry could be capable of this, or his behavior was odd because I think we've seen so many cases over the years where there's been a law enforcement agent of some type involved in what could be a murder, disappearance, whatever it is, and they just aren't investigated thoroughly because of their position in law enforcement. Whether it's blinder's tunnel vision focusing on somebody else, or conspiracy, there's a myriad of reasons why that person might not be the point of focus. And I think that within law enforcement often is a driving force. So I do find it very interesting here that they're releasing like thirty pages on Larry and like why Larry is a suspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, to the credit of law enforcement, there is no indication of a cover up here, Like once they became suspicious of Larry, they did not hesitate to investigate them. And to be fair, like this the law enforcement agency he worked for, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. It existed in a rather rural not an area known for high crime, so they probably never suspected that they would ever have a missing children's case of this magnitude, and so they obviously knew we're kind of out of our depth. So we turned this over to the Oregon State Police, and once they started looking at the evidence, they pretty much said that, yeah, there's something really off about Larry. But it does make me wonder if before this, if he ever gave off any red flags while he was working with the Sheriff's office to make him think that, yeah, this is someone who would be capable of harming his own child. So let's start talking about the things that Larry did to raise suspect. On the day Tommy went missing, he had gone out jogging at eleven thirty am, and his shift with the Sheriff's office was scheduled to begin at two pm. But obviously, once he discovered Tommy was missing, he was told by a supervisor not to report to work because he wanted him to stay behind and assist with the search effort. Yet in spite of this, Larry decided to take a shower, put on his police uniform, and he was about to leave in his patrol car, which he still kept at home, in order to report to work. And the searchers were asking Larry, what are you doing. Don't go to work help with the search effort, and he said at the time, well, I don't think the situation is all that serious. I believe that Tommy is going to be found relatively quickly. But he ultimately did not go to work. But then when nightfall hit, some of the searchers built a campfire on the Gibson's property to spend the night, and Larry approached him and says, you know what, you better go home because it's really cold right now and it's about to start snowing. And they're like, your two year old is out there if it's going to get cold and snow. Don't you you want him to be found quickly? Don't you want the searchers there? But he's just acting all lack of days ago about the whole thing, saying that Tommy's going to be found eventually. It's not that serious, even though nightfall is hitting so already they're getting vibes that, yeah, this guy already knows what happened to his son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was one hundred percent what I was thinking. If you're behaving in that manner where you're not seeming worried for one, Okay, I don't know how people wouldn't necessarily react when you find out that your child is missing. But I think if you've just had a jog and you're sweaty, the last thing on your mind is going to be I need to shower up and get clean. I think it's going to be looking for your child. That would be priority one, and getting dressed to get into work when you've been told not to. Your priority should be at home. Even if they told you to come into work, I would think you would say, absolutely not, I'm going to look for Tommy like that is the only thing that is on my mind. I don't care if I lose my job. My son that's nearly three years old is missing, and I'm going to find him. But instead he's acting like this is a foregone conclusion, like oh, yeah, Tommy is going to be fine. It's not that serious. It's like he already knows that Tommy is in a place that is beyond people worrying about him. Now he's you know, crossed over, because I just can't think of any other way to interpret him not being worried. If you know that your son is deceased, you know that he's passed, and all this is subterfused to cover this up. He's not doing a very good job because, like you said, like his lasadaisical attitude towards finding his son only makes him look guilty. But I don't think that he's necessarily thought out the way that he's going to be perceived by others. And maybe that gives us a hint into how other people at the Sheriff's Department may have perceived him in a general sense, which might have led them to saying, okay, like Larry might be responsible for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because during the Unsold Mysteries interview, he always talked in a very monotone voice where he just did not seem to have much emotion at all, And it makes me think, I wonder if he's like this all the time, where he just does not come across as an affectionate person who loves his wife and children. And during his interview, he gave off an infamous line saying that, well, the reason I wanted to report to work is because I thought we were going to be find Tommy in a place that we hadn't searched before, and we were going to be embarrassed that we didn't search this place right away. And it's like, I don't think anyone who has lost their child is going to worry about being embarrassed because you found your child in an obvious place that you forgot to look for. So he really can't come up with a logical explanation for why he acted that way that day.
Speaker 2: I think I really wonder with the interview where he's coming off very monotone and hard to read. Is this somebody who is well versed in body language in micro expressions, Like if you are going to be speaking in a way that is very monotone without giving voice inflections, it's harder to interpret deception because like, if your baseline is the way that you're carrying through the whole time, but if you are not making micro expressions on your face, if you aren't using gestures or illustrators, it's hard to spot incongruity between your spoken words and your gestures. So the less that somebody is doing that could be a strategy in order to avoid giving off deceptive behaviors.
Speaker 1: That's possible. I mean, I don't know if he's really that sophisticated to do something like this, But after we're recording this, I should send you a clip of the Unsolved Mystery segment because you've done statement analysis in the past and you might have a very interesting one once you watch Larry's interview. So Larry would be interviewed by the FBI, who got involved in the investigation because at first they wondered if it might have been a kidnapping and if Tommy was taken across state lines, and his original story that even though he tried to report to work, he said that he never actually left the property on the day's sun went missing, but like I said, he kept his patrol car park there. And because this is a law enforcement vehicle, they kept like all the mileage. They kept a log for it, and they realized that the odometer had seven miles on there, which could not be accounted for. So when the Oregon State Police confronted Larry with this information, he finally admitted that, oh yeah, after I put on my uniform, I did leave the property in the patrol car while the search effort was taken place because I was worried that Tommy may have been abducted and driven two and a half miles to a rest area on Interstate five, so I went there. I couldn't find Tommy, so I checked the northbound rest area, but once again came up empty. And then I returned to the property after between thirty to forty minutes. And that does kind of make sense from a logical point of view, But the problem is he initially claimed that he never left the property that day, and then is suddenly providing this story once he's been confronted with a discrepancy. So obviously an investigator's eyes alarm bells are ringing thinking, hmm, could he have left the property because he wanted to dispose of something?
Speaker 2: That sounds a lot more likely. But unfortunately, if he's there's seven miles that are unaccounted for on that a doomita, then that body could basically be three and a half miles away, right, Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I know this is a rural area where there isn't a lot around, But he was gone for like a very short amount of time, and he didn't travel that far. So it makes me wonder, what do you have had enough time to dispose of Tommy's body in such a limited window of time and done it so thoroughly that they still haven't found him over thirty years later.
Speaker 2: But don't you feel like it's possible that he could have found a good place just to stash the body, like maybe under some brush, maybe you know, just a spot that would be out of prying eyes that he figured within the first you know, few days, they're not going to search there, and then later on I can go back and dispose of his body better. I can, you know, dig a hole or you know, put him in a body of water or whatever he chose to do that concealed the body so well that it's never been found if he did indeed do it, I think that if there's just a very short time, unless you've got like a mine shaft to put a body down. There's really no way that you can dispose of a body so quickly that it's never found unless it's just sheer luck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this could just be just pure luck, or like you said, he just hit it in a temporary location and then once he knew that the search effort was done and he wasn't being watched twenty four to seven, he can make another trip there and put Tommy's body in another location where it would be much harder to find. Yeah, gave Larry a polygraph test, and it's interesting. They said that he technically wound up passing, but the results still indicated that he may have known more than he was letting on. And they gave a polygraph to his wife, Judy, and it pretty much got the same results where she technically passed, but investigators wondered if she knew more than she was letting on. And I'm always wondering how lie detector tests interpret things, where if you have suspicions that someone might be responsible for someone but you don't know for certain, Like if they asked, Judy, do you do know that your husband, Larry was responsible for your son's disappearance? And if she says no, but the results give a false positive, could it be because she secretly suspects Larry was responsible, but she doesn't know one hundred percent certain. So that's one of those things about why polygraphs are unreliable, where it's like you can't really determine whether someone actually has knowledge of what happened, or if may have suspicions about what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really strange, and I think this is the first time that I've heard where they don't call it inconclusive, they call it a technical pass, but they still have suspicions. And I'm wondering if within the Sheriff's department, the way that they did polygraphs at the time, if they would have a certain threshold where say, you know, somebody's asked a certain question, and a polygraph doesn't measure lies, that measures physiological changes, And just for example, say that Judy was asked do you think that Larry was responsible? And her heart rate increased ten beats per minute and maybe she started to sweat a little bit, But it had to be a threshold of fifteen beats per minutent in order for it to be deception or possibly she knows more so it was a technical pass, but it was right on that line.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking, that it's something like that where they have their suspicions but they didn't really get caught in lies, like it didn't really break the machine or anything, and show that there's a lot of deceptions. But it's kind of similar to when we did the murder of Terry McClure on this podcast years ago, where her son Tim was the prime suspect, and they gave a polygraph test to his wife and the only question she flunked was do you know who killed Terry McClure, And I wondered, is it because she knows Tim killed Terry? Or is it because she suspects Tims killed Terry? And it's still registered as a false positive.
Speaker 2: All I remember from like that case, I remember Terry, I remember the casino, but I also remember Tim's intense mullet.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly where they showed his wedding photo and it was like the greatest mullet you've ever seen. So here's another hole in Larry's story. As you might recall, he claimed that way he went jogging, he covered two and a half miles and was gone for a total of forty seven minutes, but he was asked for by the exact route. He took two investigators and when they retraced it, they realized it was actually only one mile rather than two and a half miles, and that if someone was jogging, it should have taken them between eighteen to twenty minutes to go to this spot and then come back to the house. So it's like, technically, if it took Larry forty seven minutes to cover that entire distance, that's technically not jogging. You would have to be walking as a slow crawl to cover that distance in a full forty seven minutes, which leads to speculation that maybe started off jogging but needed part of this time to cover up something that he had done.
Speaker 2: So, as far as Larry goes and his physical fitness, did he regularly jog prior to this like behavior of Larry's or was this just something that randomly seemed to happen on this day.
Speaker 1: I don't have that information. I mean, if you look at photographs of Larry, he does not look like a fitness freak. He does not look like someone who would be jogging a lot, unless he was trying to lose weight, but I never have specifically said anyone say that he never jogged but then just happened to do so on this particular day. So I will give him some leeway and say that maybe he was starting off jogging that day until something happened. So this is when things get even weirder, because there was a neighbor of the Gibson family named Jennifer Kleine who said that sometime after eleven thirty am on the morning of Tommy's disappearance, she recalled hearing a gunshot, and a short time later she noticed that her cat was missing. And the following day, Jennifer was searching for her cat, and she bumped into Larry, who was participating in the search effort for Tommy, and he said, oh, by the way, I fear that I might have actually shot your cat yesterday. Because we had a big problem with stray cats coming onto her property, and because I couldn't give them away to the Humane Society, I started shooting them. But I think it's a possibility that when I shot a cat that morning, I wound up shooting your cat by mistake. And sure enough, Jennifer soon found her dead cat and buried it on her property, and when Larry became a suspect, investigators felt to pay a visit in order to dig up the cat's body, and sure enough, it was true. There was a slug in there, and it actually matched the shellcasing which had been found in the drawer in Larry's residence underneath the children's underwear.
Speaker 2: Well, this just adds a whole other layer of strange behavior to Larry. Somebody that's going to just randomly kill cats knowing that there's a strong likelihood that one of these cats belongs to his neighbor, It just doesn't really paint a picture of a very nice guy, and it really does call into question what he is indeed capable of doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the Unsaw Mystery segment, when they do Larry's interview, this is pretty much one of the first things he talks about, saying that, oh, yeah, I sometimes would pull up my gun and shoot cats straight cats the wandered onto my property. And when people watch the segment, they don't even hear the evidence about his potential culpability and Tommy's disappearance. They just hear that he shot a cat, and they automatically start hating him. It's kind of like the beginning of making a murderer. We're in the first fifty minute. They say that Steve and Avery threw a cat into a bonfire, and they pretty much say, I don't care if he's guilty or innocent. I hate this man with all my passion.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that documentary Don't f with Cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that. Yes, we're pretty much a concept that so many true crime fans are a lot more sensitive when they hear about violence against animals rather than violence against people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it makes sense that, especially children and animals, it's the hardest for me personally to hear. And I think a lot of people will echo those same sentiments because they're truly innocent, and to predate on a child or to predate on an animal who are so one hundred percent dependent on you for their survival, it's just whereas when it's done to adults, we have this way of almost like excusing and justifying and distancing ourselves from what happened to somebody else, which is where we get into like victim blaming territory. And people do that because it creates a safer space for them to be like, oh, this could never happen to me because of a B and C, whereas with a child or an animal, we don't have the ability to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And I think they just hate Larry for doing this because cats are so defenseless and it just seems that if you have stray cats rounding or your property, don't shoot them, Like there's so much other stuff you could do, And they just found it very odd because Larry, when they finally questioned him about it, said that, Yeah, it's fairly common for me when I go jogging to carry a forty five automatic handgun and my shoulder holster, which would kind of make sense if you were jogging in a dangerous area, but this is the middle of nowhere, so you're not going to run into a dangerous person. So it just seems like, yeah, I go jogging and I carry the gun because I sometimes like to shoot cats just for fun or something like that. But Larry did confirm that when he went jogging before he discovered Tommy went missing, that he did fire a gun at a cat, and he initially thought that the cat was not actually hit, that it just ran off into the woods, and it was not until the following day, when he discovered Jennifer Klein searching for her own cat, that he realized that, Oh, I may have actually killed it. Sorry about that, that I shot this cat that belocked to you. Very bizarre.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so weird. And I raised the alternate scenario that Larry never jogged, that Larry just liked to go out on foot with his gun and look for cats. That sounds like a more believable scenario, especially when we figure how long it took him to do that quote unquote jog I think Larry probably liked to fill his time with doing weird things like that, because just to carry a gun in case like it, none of it seems to be in alignment. And like you said, he wasn't a fitness freak looking type of a guy, and we don't hear from other people that he was a regular jogger. So I call into question that Larry ever jogged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's what I'm thinking, is that maybe he just went out into the woods to look for cats to shoot because he enjoyed it for some reason. When you hear the way he talks, he definitely seems to fit the profile of someone who might do that. But this is important because this information actually caused the Oregon State least a formulate a theory about what might have happened to Tommy. They speculated that when Larry fired the shot, the bullet may have passed through the cat's body and accidentally struck Tommy in the distance while he was playing in the front yard, because even though they found the shell casing, they never actually found the bullet, and if Larry was jogging or just going out in the woods looking for cats, he may not have realized this until he returned home, and then after discovering Tommy's body, he panicked and started cleaning up the scene, and then proceeded to put Tommy's body in the trunk of his patrol car before calling the authorities to report him missing. And then, at his ear least opportunity, Larry then drove the patrol car off the property and disposed of Tommy's body at a nearby location.
Speaker 2: All of that sounds like a really good theory to me, But the only questions that I would raise here would be if Tommy was indeed caught by a stray bullet and or not a stray bullet. The bullet intended for the cat and he ended up bleeding out. I don't know what this property looks like, or if there would be the ability to where Tommy would have landed that it could camouflage the blood. But if you're going to have a child who's basically going to die from exanguination, so body being emptied of blood, there would be a considerable amount. So maybe if it was on the grass in a place where you wouldn't necessarily look on a huge property, But if it's on gravel or something, you're going to see this huge puddle of blood.
Speaker 1: That is true. Yeah, Like, even though Larry would have had the opportunity to clean himself up, you would think that they would find something to suggest that blood may have been there at some point. And to be fair, Judy's account seemed to coohola in that theory, because she actually recalled hearing the gunshot that morning and claimed that it compelled her to look out the window and she still saw Tommy playing outside in the driveway. So she's thinking to herself that, Okay, even if something did happen to Tommy, I can't confirm he was still alive at the time. Larry fired that shot, So that was one of the reasons why they obviously didn't have enough evidence to foul charges against Larry. But once again makes you wonder, does Judy have more knowledge of what's happening here than she's letting on and could she be lying in order to cover for her a husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing is we can't really trust Judy's account of what happened here because even if Larry didn't tell her to lie for him, she might have taken that on herself. Because this is the early nineties and Judy has a family with Larry, and she could be in this position where she's lost her son and it could have been an accident, and maybe that's what she's telling herself. And the idea that Larry could then go to jail that could just create a whole other world of difficulty for Judy. So there's so many different things to consider and a lot of reasons that she may choose to fudge the details a little bit without Larry even directing her to do so.
Speaker 1: Possibly, Yeah, like she hates the idea of Larry like going to jail and breaking up her family. But of course, the big issue was is if this had legitimately been an accident and he was just killed by a stray bullet that passed through the cat. I still wonder if charges would have been filed against Larry if he had just admitted to what he did. Because he was a law enforcement officer, he would have gotten a lot of leeway. But he strikes me as a kind of guy though, who is very direct about trying to maintain his image. So of course he seems like someone where if he discovered that he accidentally killed his son, even if there was no chance of him facing any jail time, he wouldn't want to be looked at as a guy who was responsible for his son's death, So his first inclination would be to cover it up and then lie law enforcement.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can understand that perspective. It seems like it would be a very small percentage of people, if they accidentally killed their child, would first go into cover up mode. But he is the law enforcement officer. I'm sure he's considering if this gets found out, I will lose my job. I'm firing a gun at this cat, I kill my son if that is indeed the way it happened, and then I'm going to be labeled as this child killer. People are going to side on me. I'm not going to be able to move through life in the same way as if, say, my son was abducted. Then he gets to take on the role and gets to spin this whole victim narrative where this has been done to him. He hasn't done it to his son.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking. Yeah, that he just strikes me as someone who wants to get the sympathy from losing his son, but doesn't want to get any of the blame for causing his death. So once the detectives from the Oregon State Police formulated this theory about the bullets traveling through the cat and accidentally striking Tommy, they decided to confront Larry with it in an interview, and then he provided a very odd response, quote, it could have happened that way, and it's possible. It's the only thing that makes sense end quote. And then he made another odd statement about his half brother Michael, who was staying at the residence on the day of Tommy's disappearance, saying that, well, possibly while I was out jogging, maybe Michael found Tommy's body. Then decided to move it without my knowledge, which is a very odd thing to say. And then Larry said that, oh, I was only speaking hypothetically about things that could have happened when I made these statements, but I denied the allegations that I was responsible for shooting Tommy or that myself or anyone else from my family were responsible for what happened to him. And Michael is another wild card in this case because the only mention that he was there that morning, but he has never given off any interviews, he has never shared his opinion about whether he believes Larry could have done something. And here's Larry pretty much trying to throw him to the wolves and say that, oh, maybe he decided to move Tommy's body without my knowing. So it makes me wonder what the relationship is like between them if he's willing to make statements like that.
Speaker 2: It almost makes me feel like Michael didn't have anything to do with it, because I feel like if he genuinely did help Larry and then Larry threw him under the bus, he's a lot more likely to then just go, uhh, I'm not going down for this. Larry recruited me after the fact to help dispose of the body, and yes, I help my brother, but yes I will testify against him. I don't want to be tied up in this any more than I already am. But we don't see that. So I'm just going off my gut feeling here and nothing more that if he truly was involved, that Larry wouldn't have thrown him under the bus so easily. So even though he's a bit of a hidden variable and we know very little about Michael, just the way that Larry is positing this theory about how he could have moved the body without his knowledge. When somebody is proposing these theories, it is a huge indicator of deception. You're trying to say, look over here, look over here. And so Larry's just trying to do anything he can to get the focus off of himself. And Michael seems to be a convenient scapegoat because he's staying in the home. But there's no evidence to back up that Michael had anything to do with it, and Larry's the one that is acting very strangely.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, Like law enforcement has never pointed their suspicions against Michael, and they never even said, like with Judy, where they suspect that she's withholding information. They have never said that about Michael, so they seem to think he's nothing more than an innocent bystander. But I find this whole dynamic interesting because later on we're going to talk about Larry's half sister, who becomes a key figure in this case, and it turns out that it doesn't seem like she had a particularly great relationship with Larry's so it makes me wonder what was Michael's relationship like. That brings an end to Part one of our series about the disappearance of Tommy Gibson. Join us again next week for part two.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trailment Cold Patreon.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier, Tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jewels and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons will link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend, or to rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwink. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy