Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the Delhi I.
Speaker 1: Guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 3: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's pta meeting?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 3: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 6: I never win?
Speaker 4: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 4: Are you feeling lucky? Nobrig just necesaryfoid.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of pluck seems every details it.
Speaker 1: Is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: No just nessary void where ever if I lost e terms is eating.
Speaker 5: Dan knows Rona is the place for spring projects, but he doesn't always know when he's exaggerating.
Speaker 4: You know my garden's so big it has two postal codes? Really? Oh yeah?
Speaker 5: Well during Rona, Spring is on event until Wednesday. Get great deals like Miracle Grow twenty eight point three liter premium potting mix for only seven forty nine and Scott's forty two point five liter nature Scape Cedar mulch for just four forty nine.
Speaker 4: I also built a shed that's bigger than my house.
Speaker 5: Shot now at Rona or Orona dot Ca. Conditions apply Rona for those who know Spring is in the air, which means we have tons of deals at Lowsa Spring.
Speaker 3: The smell of rain and soil, hope and optimism. I sent No amount of chemical wizardry can replicate. Can you smell the deals at Low's because it's Springfest until Wednesdays. Celebrate and say.
Speaker 8: Big on items like a ten foot.
Speaker 3: Umbrella for ninety nine dollars or Cil three and one enriched soil for only three forty nine, with savings like these you'll know Spring is here. Conditions apply, Shop now at Low's or Lows Dotz.
Speaker 8: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Geese, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 7: Good Evening. Faulkner County native Red Hall was a serial killer who confessed to murdering at least twenty four people. Most of his victims were motorists who picked him up as a hitchhiked across the United States in the closing of World War Two. He beat his wife to death and went on a killing spree across the state. His signature smile lured his victims to their doom, and even after his capture, he maintained a friendly manner, being described by one lawman as a pleasant conversationalist. Author Janie Nesbit Jones chronicles his life for the first time and explores reasons why he became Arkansas's hitchhike killer. The book that we're featuring this evening is the Arkansas Hitchhike Killer James Wyburn Redhall with my special guest journalist and author Janie Nesbit Jones. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Jane Nesbit Jones, thank you so much. Thank you so much for this joining me for this incredible tale. Let's talk about this is set in a Faulkner County, Arkansas. Maybe you can tell us just a little bit about where this is and this is ironically called Happy Valley. So tell us where in Nola and Faulkner County, Arkansas, and just set the stage four we're talking about the whole family and the Ingram families, tell us a little bit about their settling in Happy Valley.
Speaker 2: Okay. Fartner County is just north of Pulaski County, where the state capital, Little Rock is, and Enola is a part of Fartner County. It's a little town and there were several communities around Enola back in the old days, back in the eighteen hundreds, one of which was Happy Valley. It was just a small community like a lot of others, and people were mostly in agricultural type situations. The business was usually centered around agriculture, and I said something about Iola and that area in particular seemed to have It seems to have an unusual number of people who lived for a long time, even past one hundred. But anyway, Happy Valley is. It was one of those small communities sort of connected. Imola was a social hub. That's where the post office was. And the Hall and Ingram families moved into that area in eighteen hundreds and became neighbors, and then they became more than neighbors when Samuel Jerome Hall married Eva Lorraine Ingram. They had ten children, one of whom was Red. His name was James Wyburn, but everybody called him Red because he had beautiful red hair, wavy red hair, and his father was a preacher and farmer who was a strict disciplinarian. Especially with Red. I don't know if it was because Red was just more playful, more of an explorer. It probably got into trouble more, but his father was unusually strict with him. He did physically and verbally and psychologically abuse Red. And this was told to me by Red's cousin, Connie. Her name was Carnella Hall, and everybody called her Connie. She married a mister Weir Connie Weir, So she told me a lot about the childhood. She said that her father was very, very nice, but Red's father was not. She called him El diablo, preacher with horns, or a devil right, And she saw one time how physically abusive Samuel laws with Red. He just beat him terribly, and sometimes it seemed to be over nothing. So Rennett started wandering away from home. He would wander around the county and his father would go drag him back home, and that made his father even matter at him. And then as he grew older, he started wandering even farther away around the state. Now, when he was about twelve years old, he suffered a head injury. Most say it was a farming accident, but some people wondered if his father had hit him a little too hard and what's too often, But it was a serious injury because Red he just well, he was unconscious. He was knocked unconscious and was out for quite a while, and people said he was just never really the same after that. But anyway, as he was growing up, when he became a teenager, he started wandering on to other states and he would be gone for weeks at a time. Then one day in nineteen thirty eight, he met his wife to be. Her name was Walsey McKee, and then met a church. And Walsey was a shy, naive young girl. She never went to dances or anything like that, so she had led a very sheltered life. But she was attracted to Red because he had been to all these other places, and she just got absorbed in the stories that he would tell her about these places he had been, and he asked her to marry him. They had seen each other for quite a while and then they decided to get married. Well, her mother, Amanda McKee, moved in with them, and that kind of irned Red. But the problem still mainly was Red's wandering ways. During the time he was married to Walsey, he would still go off and be gone for a long time. She and her mother would be left to do the farm chores, and she would sometimes have to ask her in laws for help in bringing in the crops and things like that. In nineteen forty one, around Christmas time, Red happened to be home. He knew that their baby, their first baby, was due, so they called the doctor and unfortunately, the baby was a still birth. He died at birth, and while the doctor was tending to Walsey, Red had some sort of fit that he had been sitting on a couch and then when the doctor told him that things were not going well and that they would be losing the baby, Red fell off the couch and the doctor said when he got back up, his eyes were twitching, and then he just sat there quietly. So anyway, they did lose that first child, and then she was okay, Well, she was okay, and things went back to normal, which meant that, yeah, Red was wandering away again. And then I will say they did have a second child who lived. But at one point they finally decided that it just wasn't working out, although it was Red who actually wanted the divorce, so they did. Red and Wallsey divorced and he moved on. But he had been still in one place just long enough to be drafted because at that time World War two. This was in like I said, late nineteen thirties, and by this time it was the early forties, and the services they needed more men to fight the war.
Speaker 7: So he was.
Speaker 2: Drafted by the Navy, but after six weeks they let him go. Yes, they discharged him, and they said the reason was indifference. He didn't know what that meant. Apparently they didn't explain it, but he was just happy about it. So he was free to go his own way. And he met a young lady named Fayvorne Clemens, and he fell in love with her, and she was very attracted to him, so they got married. Let's see, they were married in March nineteen forty four. And she was not anything like Lawsy. She was headstrong, independent, curious, and when he wanted to go somewhere, she wanted to.
Speaker 7: Go with him.
Speaker 2: So on one trip they went up to Oregon together and that I'll bring that back up a little later. But it was a rocky marriage really from the start. He was rough and he would hit her and her family, which consisted of her parents and she had a sister, Ima Jane. They would see her with bruises all the time when they would come when she would go back home to their farm, and so they knew that he was roughing her up. She tried leaving him once. In fact, she did leave him once and she stayed with a friend for a little while, but then she decided to give it one more chance, so she went back to it. They were living in a little apartment behind a grocery store, and she wanted to go out. She enjoyed, not she wasn't a social butterfly, but she just enjoyed a good time. So one night she wanted to go to this place. It was called the Rainbow Garden. The Rainbow Garden was a ballroom that sat atop what they called the largest gas station in the world. It was called a five five five buildings because there was the big letters are big figures, numbers numerals. I guess we should say five five five. That was the telephone number for that gas station. The gas station was located on the ground floor, of course, and then they had one floor that was given over to cars where people could park their cars or rent cars and things like that. And then, like I said, the top floor where was the ballroom. And she just loved that place. They ring loved that place. So she decided one Thursday night in September to ask her friend Katie Bryant to go with her and read that night because it was ladies' night at the Rainbow Garden. So Katie said sure, and they picked her up and they went and danced and had a good time. At midnight, though Red wanted to leave and Katie really needed to because she worked, so Theyrene wanted to go down in the elevator because she was wearing new shoes and they were hurting her feet, but Red insisted on going down the stairs and they started sniping at each other and he got rough, so they went out to the car. They finally got down and she told Red, she said, I won't leave you with you and he slapped her. Well, she went ahead and got in the car and Katie got on the outside. She sat up front and read got in and they took Kadie home. They dropped her off, and that was the last time anybody saw Irene alive.
Speaker 7: Now, let's go backwards just a little bit, because we've missed a couple things for our audience in terms of her friend Muriel Stevenson, and this is just previous to this. A few days before, Muriel Stevenson goes to Hall's apartment and Red isn't there, So she talks with Firine and Farine shows her something. What is that that she shows her? And what's so unusual about what she did show her?
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, she had an if they had a new dress, and it was unusual. It was a two piece, it was red. But the unusual thing about it was how the closures were. They weren't just regular buttons. They were these little closures. It's sort of hard to describe it. They looked like one person described them as looking like tiny little swords or nails or something like that that used had to slip through something else. So they were in unique. They'd never seen anything like that. And Muriel, Muriel was also Fay's sister in law, and they would go shopping together. And besides the dress, she tried on those shoes that I was talking about, because on launched a shopping trip with Muriel. She had bought those shoes and she was trying to break them in. So anyway, Muriel and I had a pretty good visit that Sunday. But that was Yes, that was the introduction to the to the outfit. One thing that helped identify her remains later.
Speaker 7: Okay, let's go back to the evening in question. When they drop off Katie, she sees this altercation, this this heated argument between them, and words have said. What are some of the things that were said that Katie heard in the exchange between you know, Well.
Speaker 2: One thing Red was always mad about was he thought that they was too extravagant. He drove a cat, he was a cab driver and he made pretty good money, but he accused of being a spend thrip. That was one thing. And then she had there were words spoken about going that was really more Red though later on I was going to say about going to the coast. But yeah, they had an argument. So Katie knew about all this when they dropped her off.
Speaker 7: And then.
Speaker 2: If you want me to go on.
Speaker 7: That night, we talk about Muriel. You talk about Muriel the next morning, So tell us what Muriel does and and what happens with the rest of Faye's family afterwards in the following days.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Muriel calls Red. Let's see that was that Muriel had seen her on Thursday was the last time. That was when Katie Bryant saw her for the affray for the last time. And then Muriel calls Red that by day I believe it was, and Red says she's not there and he doesn't know where she is. So that alerted Muriel. And also there were three cousins of those who were coming up from Pine Bluff, Arkansas to visit say, but again Red said that she was gone, and that's how her family, the Clemens family, found out that she was she was missing because they knew that she would never take off, just take off like that and not contact her family. They were a close family and she talked to them often, so they knew something was wrong. So her mother and i'ma Jean, her sister, went to the Little Rock Police Department to talk to the chief of detectives there O N. Martin, and they told him what had happened and that well, she was married. They started talking about Red and Martin said, well have you have you talked to him? And they said, well, we've tried that he's never a rent. So after they left, the chief there sent to detectives. One was Herbert Peterson and the other one jud. His name was Detective jud So Peterson and Hudd went to the taxi stand where Red worked, and so that got things moving a little bit. Because you may be able to run from family members, which you can't run from the cops. They're gonna keep on until they find you. So he just told them that fay Rain had left and gone to the coast. But see, the thing was her clothes were still at home in their little apartment. Her clothes were still there, so that indicated she hadn't packed. If she had left, she hadn't packed. So anyway, the cops taught to read and who doesn't really give us satisfactory answer except for saying that she left for the coast. And they say, you mean And they say, how did that happen? What happened that night? And he said, well, we got home and they were arguing. We were arguing, and then I just went on to bed, and let's see. He gets up, he says, this is what he tells the cops. He gets up and he realizes theye's not there. He goes through a couple of the rooms. It's a small apartment, and she's just not there. But he goes back to bed, and they say, your wife disappears and you go back to bed. But there you begin to see how Red had strange ways of thinking.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 2: He was a combination. He was a complex, complicated person. And I do theorize in the book. I said his defense attorney that accident that occurred when he was twelve years old affected him somehow that it caused brain damage, and that is entirely possible.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 2: He seems to have no impulse control, which might lead to you to think about the frontal load damage when he was knocked on the head. So he had the explosive temper. He had that, and yet on the other side, he was friendly and talkative. One place he moved to after fay Reen that he was still on a low little rock, but he moved into a room with a land lady, Anny Rose. She was so pleased with him as a tenant that she started leaving the door unlocked when she was so comfortable with him. There was nothing to indicate that he was a violent serial killer, and by that time he had killed a lot of people. And while the investigation into Phase disappearances going on, the Arkansas State Police are being bombarded with these crimes murders, and they quickly come.
Speaker 4: To the.
Speaker 2: Idea that it is a hitchhiker's the killings. To indicate a hitchhiker, one occurs. The first one occurs in January, following Phase disappearance in September, and that was mister Hamilton, Carl Hamilton. He was a bootlegger and a barber in Camden, Arkansas. So Stake police they learned about that, and Hamilton was killed by forty five pistol. And the ballistics expert with the state police was Alan Templeton, who was great at his job. The captain was Jay Earl Spraggin, and their chief detectives on the case were Homer Sims and Oliphant Brett Eliphant. So first there's the murder in Camden and they find out they realized that he probably didn't get very much. This is an interesting thing about Red's murders. He would steal, but he never got anything hardly. Sometimes he would get like Forridgton's. The second victim, which came at the first of February, was mister Adams E. C. Adams. He was from Kansas and he was coming to Arkansas. He's going to go down to Camden where they had an ordnance plant and get a job there. So he picked up bred in Little Rock, and not too long after that his body is found. He's shot in the head. Now this time he was shot with the thirty eight. And I might add, but the reason the state police were called in on that first mother the one mister Hamilton was because the first forty five sworders gave them an idea of the people there in Camden. The officers that vie it might have been a soldier because that was the firearm used by soldiers. So that first murder sees he used a forty five, and the second murder of mister Adams he used at thirty eight. So and then let's see the next one. They're still going on and boil. Moharne. I'm not sure I pronounced that correctly. It's mo Heron, Heron, mo Heron, Yes, it's spelled like mo Heron. But I'm thinking because your way we talked here in Harchard Susthermton, it may be Moharne. And he was a driver for a meatpacking company.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 2: Let's see, he was going to Stuttgart. He left Little Rock and uh at some point he picked up bad We know this because Doyle's Mohearn's to rout. It went from Riddle Lot to Stuttgart, and on the way there he would always pass another delivery truck and going in the opposite direction that he always recognized the driver and they would wave at each other.
Speaker 7: Also that.
Speaker 2: That other driver had a father who lived along the route so that sometimes he would give his father a ride, and that his father was standing out there by the roadside and he saw he saw red in this truck with Doyle Mohearne and he was They said the same thing, both the the driver, the truck driver who knew Doyle Malhoerne. Both he and his father described the same person, and they both said he had wavy red hair, and that was the first clue they had the State police. So you have these two investigations going on, the State Police and the Little Rock Police Department, and somewhere along the line, well yes I'm leasing track here, but back on course. So he does kill mister malhern and he kills him with that thirty eight. Okay, so his next victim is.
Speaker 7: I've got to access excuse me for a second. We're going to stop for a second to hear from our least commercial break.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 1: It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing chumba casino. Coincidence, I think, not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonut. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com. And lived at Chumba Laine.
Speaker 3: Forcus nessary dailupe where everybody lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 7: Pardon me with that. You also write at that time, right after the murder of Moharn and with these people seeing this young man with red hair, these witnesses clearly saying this man with red wavy hair. This is the first time he's called the hitchhike killer officially, isn't it? Yes, yes, yes, Now let's go back to just you say, there's two investigations, so that's good that we identify that's Arkansas State Police and then the Little Rock Police Department, and so unlike many many stories where police in different jurisdictions almost act like they're competitive and don't share information, and even if that's not the motivation, if they don't share information and the perpetrator goes on to kill longer than they maybe could have possibly if the jurisdiction is cooperated now with Little Rock Police Department in Arkansas State Police, when does it that they get together and start talking and seeing similarities in some of these these killings.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good point, because I was so impressed with that. He has one more victim kills a mister neocom but along at the same time, now this is March nineteen forty five, so the war is coming to an end. All this news about the hitchhikers and stuff like that, it doesn't get a lot of press. That Red ends up on a brawl. It's a back alley brawl behind a cafe or a bar, and he beats a guy so bad that the guy is in the hospital for weeks. I mean, he's on the critical list. But they and they do arrest. So this is a little lease of course who arrest read that he gets off with just a fine and court cosse. It's almost unbelievable. Who gave that guy such a beating that I think he pleaded self defense And he always he would always say his father was a preacher, and you know, he was a religious man and all things like that. This is where they begin to cross over. Let's see. After Newcomb, the state police captain Scragging gets a tip over the phone. It's a woman who tells him that a relative of hers works at the same taxi station as Red Hall. Her relative is an ex convict. He knows that, he just knows that Red is the killer because I'll call him. I think i'll call him, and I use some fake names. If I interviewed somebody and they didn't want to give their name, I would use another name. In this case, all the news reports used different names for this other taxi driver. They wanted to protect him. He was not involved in the killing. But he knows he carried a forty five in his taxi, and Red wants to borrow his taxi. And yeah, and and that's what he does when he goes down to kill mister Hamilton. That's why he uses a forty five. But he puts that forty five back where it was in the car and returns it to I'll call him mister Blaine, the other taxi driver. And Blaine is suspicious. He's very suspicious because of one thing that Red had said, said he was going out on the road to make some money, and so Blaine. He realizes if the the gun has been fired, and he's telling his relatives about this, but he doesn't want to be to get involved because he's afraid the authorities will suspect him because of his record. That his relatives calls this in the Captain Scraggin and so they go pick up blame. But meanwhile Spraguin calls Chief Martin with the Little Rock Police Department, right, and that's when they realize, See, Captain Scaragin had learned the name Blaine had told him that it was Red Hall, James Red Hall, So the state police know his name. Now they get in touch with the Little Rock Police Department and they know his name because well, the most recent thing was that rawle in the alley. But then they tell Mark and telled Scragin that Hall is suspected in the disappearance of They that's when they joined forces. And they do still have two investigations going Homer Simps and and Red Oliphant. I mean, they've made a lot of trips. They started in Kansas when they were investigating the.
Speaker 7: E.
Speaker 2: C Adams's that was the second murder in nineteen forty five. And uh so, anyway, they've done a lot of work on that. So anyway, when they realized when the two different law of lawmans decide that this is links of course by this one guy I read Hall, So Peterson and Judd and Harold Peterson and Herbert I mean Harold Jadd and Herbert Peterson, the detectives with the Little Rock Police Department. They go pick Red up at the taxi station and when they kicked him up, Oh, he's just so friendly, and he thinks it's about his wife. Again, they've already asked him what about his wife, and he did yours. It's just that he has no idea. There's no idea. So they take him in and they hold him there and they just kind of let him stew for a while, lock him up. They search him, of course, and they find a postage or a receipt. Well, you have postage receipt and it was a package. They trace it and it was a package that he had sent to female friend, not necessarily girlfriend. We don't really know about that, Karin Franklin. So they go talk to her and she said, yes, he didn't send her something. And it once again you'll see here what he would take from his victims and it's just crazy. He had stolen from from mister Adams. He had stolen things like razor blades, cigarettes and let's see, he's always going after the cigarettes of Clox, clocks and rotching. Yeah, and people on the street. And I've had somebody already comment on this. He would sell the quocks and things to people on the streets. It's so hard to believe that he did. People just he'd be carrying this clock and they say, yeah, I'd like to buy that for a couple of dollars, and that's all he would ever get. It's just crazy.
Speaker 7: You talk about this, You talk about this this this interrogation as well. And then they did you as you mentioned, they talk to other people. They find a watch with initials j DN engraved. So it's you know, it's not very bright that he keeps all of this stuff. But also in this interrogation, which very very interesting, is a beat reporter for one of the newspapers that they believe the Gazette tell us about Joe Wergis if that's his pronunciation of his name, and his again for people reading this will be his unusual role within this interrogation.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love Joe wargeous. It's worgeous and I love him. It's if there were a novel, I mean, he'd be a great character. But this was true. He's became a copyboy for the Democrat Gazette. That was one of the two main state newspapers back then we had the Arkansas Gazette, an Arkansas Democrat, and he was with the Gazette from the age of about fifteen, I believe it was. He started way back like nineteen thirteen or something like that. And he becomes the police reporter, and he becomes such a good friend with all these different agencies, the sheriff's office, the police, the city police, the state police. They all love him. And he has a dry sense of humor that is just precious. But yeah, he will help the police, especially the Little Rock police. He would even type up their reports, and they trust him. They really counted him as one of their own, right. He's just he says funny things and I wish I could have known him, But yeah, he's in on. He's there when they get the confession. Dari's with this would right for me to tell you a little about the interrogation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, tell us about the interrogation. But also some of the staging that they did. And again this is way ahead of their time. I saw this on Criminal Minds and read it in mind Hunter. But this there's some staging done and there's some real strategizing done before they talked to him. Tell us about the staging, but also tell him. Tell us how they decided to approach him psychologically to elicit this confession.
Speaker 2: Well, they staged it by putting these items on a table that they were going to bring it into the room. And there's a table in there, and they put like the one of the clocks from mister Adams and a gun, two guns actually, and they put this on Captain Scraggin's desk or table, and they cover it with newspapers and they bring him in and they do have sort of an idea about his personality. I guess you could say he's very friendly and he's not easily rattled. He's not. But for the interrogation they bring in both again the len Rock Police and the State police. So in there you have Captain Scraggin, Judd Peterson.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Well they're with the lit Rock uh and with the States. Leaves with scarg and there's Sims and Oliphant and Joe Warges, and they introduced They have to introduce him to Joe because he doesn't know, of course who that is. But then now Herbert Peterson, he was the one who actually led the interrogation. The others would ask questions from time to time, like Sims and Elephant. They would say something about the Hitchhock killings. They read didn't know, see, he didn't know that they were suspecting him that those That's the first inkling he had about that. So he pleaded dumb. He just said, stays dumb on that he doesn't know what they're talking about. And then of course Peterson, Now Peterson stays on his feet and he paces back and forth. Who gets down in red space. He's the puppy you hear about good cop, bad cop? Why he's the bad cop. So they grill him for a long time, and little by little, uh Broggin will move the papers on the desk. I think the first thing that Red seas is one of the clocks. He thinks that's strange, you know, that's really weird, and it does accuse him a little bit there, But they go on with the interrogation. He's still denying everything, and then Spraggen holds a few more papers aside, and there's a gun. It's one of the gun. It's a gun. And he still doesn't say anything. But in finally her Peterson gets to him by talking about his son, the little baby, and and Red. He always says the thing that he would say if he loved somebody who would say, I'm crazy about her like Walsey, I'm just crazy about her and his little baby boy, I'm just crazy about him. And he's said when he always saw to it, that he sent ten dollars a month to help Walsey with the baby. And Peterson says, is that what is that a good dad or something like that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: He says, that's not all a father does, and and he does get rattled in him. Finally, brother and pull at the last piper and there is the thirty eight pistol. There's the murder with them, and at that point he just does up his hands, wings back in the other and so I'll tell you about it. I'll tell you about all of them. I said, I kill them all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so and then okay, yeah, yes, let's lose this as a use, this as an opportunity. It'stop to hear from our sponsor, which is Magic Spoon. We're all trying to eat better, but healthy breakfast doesn't have to be boring. Magic Spoon has the amazing flavors you love, but without all the bad stuff. Zero grams of sugar, thirteen to fourteen grams of protein, and only four net grams of carbs in each serving. Only one hundred and forty calories are serving. It's keto friendly, gluten free, grain free, soy free, low carb and gmo free. There are four flavors in the variety pack, Cocoa, fruity, frosted, and peanut butter, and the flavors are delicious. Magic Spoon tastes like the classic breakfast cereals I grew up on, like fruit loops and frosted flakes, but Magic Spoon is super nutritious. Go to magicspoon dot com slash true Murder to grab a variety pack and try it today, and be sure to use our promo code true Murder at checkout to save five dollars off your order. And Magic Spoon is so confident in their product it's back with one hundred percent happiness guarantee. So if you don't like it for any reason, they'll refund your money, no questions asked. Remember get your next delicious bowl of gilt free cereal at magicspoon dot com. Slash true murder and use the code true murder to save five dollars off. Thank you Magic Spoon for sponsoring this episode. Now, Jennie, when we last left off, we were talking about the confession, and they the detectives were masterful in appealing to this person, saying, do you want your son to remember you as a coward? You be a man and take the consequences. And so the staging and the confrontation psychologically this way, and finally said, as you said, I'll tell you all about it. I killed them all. Now you say that statements cleared up the four Hitchhike murders and his wife's disappearance and just as they feared the Faylene or fay Reen was dead. According to Red Hall, tell us about what he does say about the four Hitchhike murders on all the murders that he confesses to in this confession.
Speaker 2: Well, he's and he eventually he does take them to all the crime things. But with say he said, yes, he killed her that previous September, but at one point he says because she knew too much. He would say two different things as a motive for killing fay Ring. First that she spent all his money, and the other spid that she was too bold headed. He'd never known a woman that bullheaded. And then too he was afraid earlier. You know, I mentioned Oregon, and I said I would come back to that. While he was married to fey Ring, she did accompany him on a trip up to Oregon, and things were different after that, and her family suspected that she knew that. The cops suspected that she knew something that Red had done on an Oregon and that's what read. That's what was the other motive he said was she knew too much. So she either knew too much about a murder or something in Oregon or what did she He never really spelled that out. He just says that she knew too much.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 7: So he talks about They ask him about Carl Hamilton. What does he tell of them in terms of the motive for this. They have an idea that this motive all wrong was robbery. But they asked him what his motivation was, and why does he tell them he killed Carl Hamilton.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he said he went down there, he was good at it. He went there there really to rob Hamilton. That he tells them that Hamilton pulls a gun on him, and I read then he pulls that forty five and he shoots Hamilton. There wasn't really anything, you know, It's funny. There's some things that I could never find this figure out. And I'll get back to this lighter, but a ring that comes up lighter that anyway, can you put me in the right direction here as far as what you were asking, Well, we.
Speaker 7: Were talking about I think Carl Hamilton and just what he said in terms of motive, and they he had said that he originally went to rob them, but then there was a confrontation, so then he has others. Of course, they asked him about Malherron and so he he says he pulled the gun and forced them to stop and took him to a secluded spot and shot him in the head and he got one hundred dollars from that. You also go on talk later about psychopathic personality. But what's interesting is this interrogation. His demeanor at this interrogation, and once he does start confessing the manner in which he does do that, you comment as well, tell us how he talks about these crimes.
Speaker 2: He's so munchalt about it, just like he talks about Martyr. And I think it's Owenn Martin who later says something like he says, he talks about Mardyer like it's an everyday thing and every day of cons it doesn't mean anything to him. He's just remote from it. He shows no emotion. The first time he shows any emotion is when his father comes to see him. They meet on the sidewalk outside the jail and he breaks down. That's the first time. It's when he sees his father for the first time after his arrest, and he does break down.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he tells them about all the different lines. He explains everything. He tells them that let's see with mister Adams. Mister Adams, he had walked him several feet or yards away from the car into the edge of the woods that day, shot him in the back of the head, and he would even take off the victims shoes looking for money. And then he figured everybody had money got somewhere rowed away and then he mentioned he talked about let's see, Moharn was the second one, and he said, yeah, he's just donchalon about it all now, doll Moharan And this jived with what the witnesses saw. Moharn was fighting for control of the truck.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: He killed him pretty soon after those witnesses saw them together in the truck, and he takes the truck and then he he would well, he took the truck on through Stuttgart and just left it there, and he started hitchhiking back to re Rock. And at some point they buy guy. Guy kicked him up. Another good kind murderists picked him up. And uh, the murderists fitch, I don't he get spooked. He was just nervous about the way Hall was acting, and so he pretended to have a headache and said he couldn't he'd have to stop. And the that just shows you. I mean, he just kills somebody. Then he gets picked up by somebody he had hitch hiked. Again. That's picked up. He's always so easily picked up. I mean he was always smiling and friendly. I mean, once the person stopped, they were just one over because he was charming. I guess you could say in a crude sort of way. He wasn't well educated or anything like that, but he could just ring people over. He had some sort of charisma and so anyway, yeah, he almost tells somebody else try after he kills no Hand, and then he tells them about mister Nucom, mister Nucomb. That happened in Fatner County. So my husband and I went down about where. Of course, things are so different now, that was back in forty five. It was a bothet area or the spot where he pulls over. Nucomb pulls over and he fights. He's really the only one that for some reason had a chance to fight back and right at that time, and this shows you how much nerve red Hull had while he's fighting was with Nucombe. A couple drive up going to coming towards Conway and they stop momentarily. Now, the driver, which is the husband, he sort of wants to stop because you think a couple of people are in trouble or something. That his wife urges him to go on because she thinks it's just a couple of drunks fighting. Well, so they go on and it was just right after that that he kills Nukemb. He got Nukemb back in the he was trying to get him back in the back seat of the floorboard, and he ends up shooting him in the face. I mean, Lukemb really put up a fight. The lost. And then another thing that baffles the detectives is the way Haul thought about, I don't know, trying to get away with things. Where after he killed Nukemb, he decides he wants to put the body in some water somewhere. Well, he's passing through Conway and the river is just a few miles At that time, it was a few miles from the city of Conway. The city's grown a lot since then. But he didn't. He did not turn and go to the Arkansas River and put it put Nukemb in there. Now, he just kept driving nor trying to look and looking, he said, for a place, a body of water. But I mean, there's so many opportunities, the little Red River, different things, different places like that where he could have disposed of the body easily and without anybody seeing him. But no, he doesn't, and he ends up turning around and coming back toward Conway, still with the body in the back of the car, but a flat he gets a flat, so he knows, well, he can't travel like that, so he flow across the road and he runs through a fence and he leaves. He stops in a glade. It's not very far from where people are living, but he stops and he burns the car with mister Newcomb inside, and then he goes and gets ride on a bus back to Little Rocke. But he takes mister Newcomb's bluish gray coat. He puts that on and goes back to Little Lot. So they get a little bit of evidence, physical evidence, and they did. They got evidence from every one of those crimes. And they debate about who should prosecute him, what jurisdiction should prosecute him.
Speaker 7: Would we talk should we not talk about the crime scene? Because it's very fascinating. He has to corroborate this confession and this. And you describe his character too. He's not too bright and he hasn't had much success in his life. But this is this is infamy. This is a fame, a celebrity that he's never experienced before. So these so the thing is is that there's a media response because you've got Joe Wurgess right there with the police and has access to everything, So what's the media response to the crime scene and tell us about the crime scene looking for Farine, and we didn't mention that fine is supposed is described. Tell us about the crime scene visit looking for Farine and her remains, well okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing they do after he confesses, and then they get about and it's kind of a rainy day, but he tells them that they did not go home, that not from the from the Rainbow Gardens ball. After he dropped Katy Bryan off, he goes on out drives out to this place by the wherever there's a place called the Riverside Golf Course and in the river bank there and nobody will ever know exactly what was said. Well he was taking her out there, but he did, and he shows detectives. He leads them out there, and it's a caravan of cars because by then he's page one news in Arkansas, so and out of state. There was a reporter Dick Allen from the Memphis Appeal, the Memphis Commercial Appeal, and so anyway, there's a caravan of cops and reporters following Red who's in the front car and most of the time when he goes around to these different crime scenes, he will be in the back seat handcuffed to Peterson and we're just will be right by side to So they go out there and at first he has a kind of a problem locating her remains, but a woodcutter moving close to seeing Piepa Foster he comes out there to see what's going on, and he tells them that he found a skull out there, so he and he kept it. He didn't tell anybody, he didn't call a cross or anything, but he kept it. And he goes back up to his house and brings that. Meanwhile, Red keeps looking around. They're poking around, and there's a picture of him. I love that picture. He's holding on his stick and just been poking around. And then and they do. When Foster comes back with the skull, he tells them where that was, and then he says, and there's a job on and he starts looking around. He said, yeah, yeah, it's over here in this log and they do. They find the job on one and when they get that out, Red says, yep, that's hers. See that buck tooth there that always hurt me when we're kissed. I mean that's the way he was, That's the way he was taught. And also they found among her skelepel remains. And see, he thought he told them that he thought animals, buzzards and all kinds of animals would feed up the body, that there wouldn't be anything left and the water would carry the rest of it away. So he wasn't expecting to find anything that they found quite a bit of her skeletal remains, including the skull, and they found that dress. Of course it was in shreds by then, but they were able to identify that because of those unique closures. Right, So, and he just and then all of a sudden, it comes to him that their anniversary, their wedding anniversary, their first year wedding anniversary, would have been coming up that month. They had.
Speaker 8: I just.
Speaker 2: That he was like that with all the crime scenes, like you say, he enjoyed being a celebrity. And when they retraced his rout trying to find a place to leave mister Newcomb's body, they stop over at well a couple of places, that at the Cleveland County Courthouse, and this is one of those big old courthouses and back then with the windows that big windows that would you know, you could push up And he noticed a crowd that gathered and there must have been five hundred people there. All these little nities in that area had heard that the caravan was coming their way with Red Hall, so they gathered when they found out he was in the courthouse, about five hundred people showed up, and he was so pleased with it. He asked one of the detectives to raise the window so he could converse with the people in the crown. And I'll tell you what it reminded me of. If you've ever seen that movie about Charlie Starkweather. He was a spruce killer back in the You remember him and the movie that they made about and called bad Lands with Martin Sheen. Remember how he just he was just thrilled to death to get all this attention. And he said something along the line says, you know, if I had some peanuts and popcorn, I bet I could make some money selling us to the Yeah, he just you not like that. He's just it's hard to understand.
Speaker 7: Sure, you talked about the the prosecutor prossecon Attorney Sam Robinson. Despite Hall confessing to more than a dozen murders in other states as well. You say that they decided in Pulaski County, Well, Sam Robinson decided what did he decide to do? How many would he prosecute, and why.
Speaker 2: He was going to And I'll go into the reasons for that. Wire He decided to prosecute just the murder of five because he said that was the strongest case. They had her in the courtroom. They had her remains, the clothing and everything like that. And at one point when her father was testified, the mister Robinson had him come down in front of the jury and showed them that he had the same buck tooth that his daughter had had, and they saw that job on with that buck tooth that I'll tell you this the reason. Another thing, the sheriff in Faulkner County wanted to have the trial here, but they were afraid that there would be prejudice because Red was from here. And then too, there had been something that happened many years before in which a man had been prosecuted in two different jurisdictions and the first one that got him gave him life in prison, and then the second jurisdiction put him on trial, and they gave him death that he would have to serve live before they could execute him. That was a weird law. Now anyways, I didn't want anything like that happening. And mister Robinson thought that the case against against him for Pie's murder was the strongest.
Speaker 7: Now, quickly he gets a defense attorney named m V. Moody, and right away he's talking about laying a groundwork for insanity. And so they send him for an exam, a thirty day exam. Doctor Colb, I believe is the guy that that first examined him. Tell us about this examination, and then what happens with Hall, Red Hall and his already previous confession.
Speaker 2: Okay, doctor Cob, he did examine him, and it didn't take thirty days, but he would have the police bring him down in the morning and take him back to Little Rock at night because they had had a person escape from that old hospital and go out and murder somebody I think down in Texas count But doctor Colb, he would he asked Red about the murders and things like that, and he said did you get any sexual gratification from that? And he'd say no, And how do you feel about this? How did you feel after you killed day and he would say I relieved, so doctor Colb he said that he would that Red was saying that MV. Moody, his defense attorney, did plead him in a the reason of insanity, and also he bought the confession. He said the confession was coerced, but that was nobody believed that. So and then uh, I've lost by training thought it was about doctor cob.
Speaker 7: Let's see, well you talked about you talked about the confession that he gave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the thing about the confession and this was you know, I had never heard of this argument this in court. But m the Moody tried to say that the confession he gave to doctor Colb couldn't be admitted because it was privileged information between a doctor and his client. I had never heard of that before. I had never heard that. I thought it was unique. But then when I started studying that it was not unique. And that has been argued down through the years. Whether or not when a person is sent to psychiatric hospital for observation and then that psychiatrist testifies, is it as admissible because was it done? When Red thought it was doctor Pliant's relationship. But of course in this case anyway. And I'm really not sure. I'm not educated well enough on a law about that. But that did not spend either. Mister Moody tried his best. And mister Moody is another character that is just so he's bigger than lies almost. He goes to extremes and he goes to weird. I keep saying to people who buy the book, I say, now, when you get to the part about the courtroom, about the trial, it really happened that way. Moody is just unbelievable the things that he will He will go to all lengths to get his client off. He's very theatrical. He interrupts, I love this. The judge objected. I mean usually it's the lawyer who objects. The judge objected. I thought that was funny. The judge was objecting to the repetitiveness. Oh and like Robinson said, at one point, he said, this may not be the trial of the Sanctuary, but it might type of century that caused up ladies distractions and things like that. But yeah, it's just really interesting to.
Speaker 7: Bolster the confession. The bolster the confession from the psychiatrist. Of course, this becomes a battle of the psychiatrist, and there's many psychiatrists to testify at this at this trial, but there are there were instances with Oliphant and jud and Sims and various law enforcement close to this case that he also confessed to. And so part of the trial is just and the defense has a hard time with it in that there are many reliable, credible witnesses that also he confessed to certain aspects of these murders, didn't he Yeah, yeah, the.
Speaker 2: He tried to say at the trial, Dad read Well Red says, yeah, they they threatened me, they threatened my family. They said they didn't have to enlarge the jail to hold all my family members. And then he said something about and they dragged me around, and Robinson would argue with and saying to dragged you all around? What do you mean by that? And he said, well that I was handcuffed to They had me handcuffed to one of them, and he was just pulling on me. And then he'd say Robin would say that you would drags and he'd said, well, not really dragged, but I had to, you know, I had to keep up to keep from being dragged. And it was just crazy, but yes, they had to hear that that the argument that it was a coerce confession, but nobody believed that. I mean, that was one of these points of the defense. The defense said in the first place that okay, he's insane, for first the confession is coerced.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: He's not guilty because he didn't do it. Because Moody even says that you cannot prove that those remnants of a human being on that table, there are the remains of Fay Clemens Paul. And so he says that they have nobody. Then if you have nobody, you can't prove it his murder. Then he does thinks like that. Moody does think like that all the way through the triumph. And then of course he says innocent by reason of insanity. And in his charges to the jury, the judge did give them the options not guilty, saying that he didn't do it, not guilty by reason of insanity, guilty, But with what did he say, not Clement see something like yes, and that when the jury comes back, they they do recommend the death penalty.
Speaker 7: And and they didn't take long.
Speaker 2: It did not take long, No, it was was it forty minutes something like that.
Speaker 7: Fifty.
Speaker 2: It didn't had long at all. Yes, it was in the middle of the knot that spectators. There were so many spectators at that trial. Everybody wanted to attend, and they wouldn't go very far. If there was time to break for eating somewhere, they'd stay close or they would get their seats again. And yes, the the verdict was handed down light light in the middle of the nine.
Speaker 7: So Walsey his first wife. Yes, Walsey is brought in to testify, and you talk about his demeanor and his composure and sometimes indifference at this thing. But tell us when Walsey Hall comes in, it's a little bit different. And who does she bring in a little bit later, and this is a time when there's a little more relaxed security in terms of who sits at a at the council table. So tell us about this very dramatic event with Walsey and how she brought in for him to see.
Speaker 2: Yes, when Walsay testifies, and I always seem to hear her voice, I just hear it in my head, a very soft voice. And she talks about how we have had sort of like two lines, a mind to do good in a mind to do bad and then so how she's testifying, and in fact, I think he started crying before she even got on the stand. That read cried through most of her testimony. But then they have a break, they have a recess, and she brings to him the baby. He's about two years old by then day and read things happy birthday, things have been bounces and me and all that. So he perks up. You know, it makes him happy, happy to see that baby and happy that Walce he's there. But like I said, on the other hand, he just he became all awhelmed with emotion when she was testifying, and he would sob. Yeah, he was just very touched by all that.
Speaker 7: It's very interesting to the insanity defense that you write about, is that, I mean, Moody tries his best and puts on defense. Psychiatrists too, you know, push ahead their theory of what what really happened and why this happened. But he talked about a psycho a psychotic personality, but then also about being a psychopath. So it becomes kind of ridiculous in the try to the defense in terms of you know, an actual insanity definition, what would be considered insanity not knowing right from wrong, But then they throw everything in there and calling him a psychopathic personality, I excusing what they were trying to prove here in Vain.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, I know, and I was hesitant to include some of that because it's almost as if Moody is long winded. He just keeps going back to that all the time, the psychopathic personality, And like you say, it's all these different psychiatrists, and every time Moody will say, and what is the definition of a psychopathic personality? And they go through that over and over until finally he just and Judge Auten kind of helps bring that to a close, I think because of Moody and the way he repeats questions and the psychiatrists though some of the psychiatrists had just had a few minutes really to examine read the night before and the night before their testimony, so they can't say they they And then they listen to Moody, and they listen to with family members who say that there's mental well back then they call them mental defects in his mother's family family, trying to make believe that it runs in the family, that insanity, And like you said, there's a difference between between insanity and then a psychopath. And I must have about that in a way to include that, but I just wanted to show how that trial went. The trial itself just unbelievable. It's remarkable. It's not like it's certainly not like anything you've seen on TV Carrynason. It is not The Good Wife, it is not. But yeah, and then finally, of course, the judge when he does instruct the jury and he mentions that, you know, you can't really I don't know how to phrase that, but he leaves it. And like he said earlier on the confession, he was going to leave that to the jury to decide did they believe the confession or not? Then bless he saying or not? And he was leaving that conclusion to the jury after they heard all these different ones. One psychiatrist claimed that Red told him he suffered from hallucinations, auditory hallucinations in which he would talk to a dead cousin. Nobody had ever heard of that before. That was the first time it was ever thought up. But I don't know if that was Red. Just Red was great. I'll tell you he could lie better than anybody. He would lie say something in one sentence, and this is A good example of this is the last time that he sees as father and he'll say to his father, you know that it was an accident. I didn't mean to do it. I didn't mean to do it. But then again in the same is that he would say, I didn't do it. I didn't do it. You know, you gotta believe me. I loved the I mean, he just he can lie twice or three times in the same paragraph.
Speaker 7: And you write about the public response in the media response, and many detective magazines and comic books contained writings about Hall and gave him lurid monikers like the Arkansas Butcher that Kill, Crazy, Murder of Little Rock, and the Doctor Jekyll of Arkansas. But it was you still once he was convicted, it was still the Gazette's Joe Wurgus who was the you, right, who was the main conduit through which the public came to know Red Hall. And he had access to him, So he had access to him. So what kind of access did he have to him? And given this death sentence and then that's what he was given and survived the appeal process. So tell us about the relationship and how close does Joe Wurgess get to Red Hall in his last days.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, in the beginning, he's just going along and he does get explosive interviews while it's still in jail. But when it comes time for the execute, well, when it comes time to go on to all the crime scenes, Joe is there. And then when he's driven down to the prison, Joe was there. And then I have explained earlier in the book that Joe not only is friends with the police and the sheriff, he's also friends with the assistant superintendent at the prison. They go out back there and fish a lot, and Joe, Joe will stay overnight there sometimes in one of the cells. And now the death house was that Tucker prison, and and he would sometimes spend the night in a cell there, and he would he would be there for the execution. I mean, he was there. He said something about read's last meal he wants Joe was going to be there, and Red was just tickled to death about that. He said, he was so honored that Joe would would do that, would share his last meal, and he did, and he just he looked upon Red looked upon Joe, especially Joe as a friend, but he also looked upon the tactives who had then put him away. Basically, he thought they were a swell bunch of fellas, and that's what he said, a swell bunch of fellas. He didn't have any ill will toward anybody. He thought that he was religious because his dad was a preacher, so he was brought up that way and he was just leaving it all to God, and he was at peace with himself. He was nervous, you know, sometime, but then they said it was he he stopped being nervous and he was actually I think I think one of the people said he had a jocular conversation while they were shaving his head for the execution. Yes.
Speaker 7: Now, lastly, after his execution, this story where we talked about the World War two in Germany's surrender, this story would have been much bigger. This James Weyburn Redhall would be much more infamous, especially given the confessions and the body count of this serial killer and his incredible character and demeanor through this whole thing. Is very very unusual killer with a peculiar character, to say the least. Tell us what prevented this story from being much bigger.
Speaker 2: The war in Europe was coming to an end while all this was happening when he was on that final spray, and I kind of theorized that once he killed Fay, he just ross and all control. I think he may have loved her at some point, and the fact that he murdered somebody he may have loved in such a brutal manner, I think it just set him, uh, pushed him over completely over the edge, and he got he got careless, and he started killing on that spray. That the war now when his when all of this was happening, and the hitch Hot murders and not really say that didn't really make the papers, but the Hitchhig murders did, of course. But the papers were all about the war in Europe and and had been, you know, throughout the war, with a list of people who had perished and the once missing in action, and just all about the war, what was taking place in the Pacific, what was taking place in Germany. But the trial itself, when Red's trial was on and it lasted only three days, a believe, the war in Europe ended, and you know, there was just jubilation and release all across the country, and they would the people down in law they were celebrating. They'd be out there in the streets celebrating while this very somber trial was going on. So when so the newspaper. If it had not been for Joe Wargess, I don't know that bred Home would ever have gotten any attention at all. I don't know. It's so hard to would he have gotten careless and gotten caught anyway, or would he just gone on killing h It's just yeah, I don't know. When he started confessing, a lawman from all across the country came to talk to him, and as you said, I mentioned some that almost definitely the Lambert Nipper case. That was doctor Lambert was an offica path from So he was in Kansas, a blue and he had he was traveling and he picked up a corporal Nipper who was going back to his face. So he had already picked up one hitchhiker and then came Redcat along and they picked him up and reb killed both of them. And uh one thing that was very hard. Now, this is the hardest part of the research. There was so very little in newspapers. I mean, Martha was fairly common twice. I hate to say that I still is. But being commonplace some murders you never even hear about unless they're particularly gruesome or the BodyCount is more. And so I tried my very best to make sure that nobody had ever solved these crimes that Read was strongly accused of committing. There was, yes, Corporal Nipper's cousin who now lives in North Carolina or Scepter, North Boston. That's North Carolina, isn't it Anyway, his cousin did confirm that. The family said no, that had never been solved. So the labet Knipper case, I do really believe, and the authorities believed that Red did that. And also James Owen in Seminole, Oklahoma. The sheriff there, Jake Sims, and he's quite a character too, and he had helped catch I think it's like fifty murderers, but he never saw the case of James Owen. James Owen was killed around Christmas time and in nineteen forty good or forty idly yeah and yeah. He was partner a railroad track and when Red couldn't hitch hike, he would hop a fraight so and Owen he had his head bashed in. He wasn't shot, but his head was bashed in and Jake Simms, the sheriff or the police chiefs of Seminole, he had seen read there many times. He said it was a common you know, he had seen him before, and he said that he truly believed, he would always believed that Jim Owen was killed by that Hall, and there were always I really couldn't try Wyman Peacock Jr. That was a toughing. I tried. I tried contact with his family and I just couldn't hit anybody. So that, like I said, will put an asterisk by his nine because Red might have done it, but who knows.
Speaker 7: I want to thank you so much Jennie Nesbitt Jones for coming and talking about this remarkable the Arkansas hitchhike killer, James Weyburn Redhall. It's been remarkable speaking to you. Thank you so much for this. I know this is a history press release. Maybe you could just tell us of if there's an Amazon page might find this this work? Uh, this book?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, you can find it in several online bookstores Amazon of course, and in some of the brick and mortar stores like Barnes and Noble Books a million. Hopefully not too far in the future. Uh, there was a sort of a slow roll out, partly because of the weather at the snow, you know, when everybody was in all that and problems. But yes, and most online bookstores you can find it, and some brick and mortar stores also, And I hope to have my website up and running in the not too distant future. It's just that well, I still work for a y magazine. I'm doing another murder mystery for them, so between that and life itself, I haven't got around to my own website. Get but thank you so much for having me on your show. As the podcast, I just I've really enjoyed it, and I do hope that listeners found it entertaining and informative.
Speaker 7: Yes, well, thank you so much. Janey Nesbit Jones, The Arkansas hitchhi Killer, James Wierburn, Redhall, thank you so much, and have a great evening. Good night.
Speaker 2: Thank you by much.
Speaker 5: Dan knows Rona is the place for spring projects, but he doesn't always know when he's exaggerating.
Speaker 4: You know, my garden's so big it has two postal codes.
Speaker 5: Really. Oh yeah, well during Rona Spring is on event until Wednesday. Get great deals like Miracle Grow twenty eight point three Leader Premium Potting mix for only seven forty nine and Scott's forty two point five Leader Nature Escape Cedar Multch for just four forty nine.
Speaker 4: I also built a shed that's bigger than my house.
Speaker 5: Shot now at Rona or RONA dot CA conditions applot Rona for those who know. Dan knows Rona is the place for spring projects, but he doesn't always know when he's exaggerating.
Speaker 4: You know, my garden's so big it has two postal codes? Really? Oh yeah?
Speaker 5: Well during Rona Spring is on event until Wednesday. Get great deals like Miracle Grow twenty eight point three Leader Premium Potting mix for only seven forty nine and Scott's forty two point five Leader Nature Escape Cedar Multch for just four forty nine.
Speaker 4: I also built a shed that's bigger than my house.
Speaker 5: Shot now at Rona or RONA dot CA conditions applot Rona for those who know. Dan knows Rona is the place for spring projects, but he doesn't always know when he's exaggerating.
Speaker 4: You know, my garden's so big it has two postal codes.
Speaker 5: Really? Oh yeah, Well during Rona Spring is on event until Wednesday. Get great deals like Miracle Grow twenty eight point three Leader Premium potting mix for only seven forty nine and Scott's forty two zero point five liter Nature Escape Cedar Molts for just four forty nine.
Speaker 4: I also built a shed that's bigger than my house.
Speaker 5: Shot now at Rona or Rona dot CA. Conditions apply Rona for those who know.
Speaker 6: With Chattermobile, you're already winning with great affordable phone plans on your terms.
Speaker 4: And now you can score yourself and.
Speaker 6: Even bigger win with over one thousand instant prizes of for drafts plus a chance to win one of three twenty twenty one Nissan rogues. So why just win big when you could win bigger? Visit Win Bigger with chatter dot Com for a chance to win bigger today, tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And maybe even the day after that.
Speaker 4: Conditions apply Chattermobile. Now you make the call