Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App live in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Of course, for day four of the Democratic National Convention, Vice President gets up there. She will accept a nomination today. Before her speaking, we'll see Senators Bob Casey and Tammy Baldwin. Also Alex Padilla, Elizabeth Warren, Mark Kelly, a couple of governors are going to be up there, some members of Congress. Interior Secretary Deb Holland if former Housing Secretary Marsha Fudge will be up there, Boy, she's gonna bring that house down yours.
Speaker 1: You're dying on the fudge hill. Keep bringing that up. You're like, it's fudge day.
Speaker 2: It is a suge day.
Speaker 4: So do you want fudge? Do you have a craving for fudge?
Speaker 2: You know what, last time I had fudge, I was very disappointed.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, I've got a great fudge place.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I really do.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 1: I know somebody locally in LA who makes homemade fudge and it's except she makes it around the holidays.
Speaker 2: It can be too rich, I would say that it can be too rich.
Speaker 1: She's got a great. She does it a real well, real good job. I think she's a listener too.
Speaker 3: Tonight when Vice President Harris is giving the keynote speech tonight and the acceptance of the nomination, we are also going to see Donald Trump doing a live play by play on his truth social Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's really taking up the mantle of the football analogy. I don't think he likes the buzz that Tim Wall's got last night for using all those football analogies. So Donald Trump is saying, oh, you coached football. Sometimes he's a semi coach, he's not even a real coach, and then saying I will be doing live play by play. And he wrote it in all caps on truth.
Speaker 2: So she called him a lightweight.
Speaker 6: Two guy is a lightweight. Lightweight shouldn't have access. And for him to say about Project twenty five is disgraceful. They know I have nothing to do with it. I had no idea what it was. A group of people got together, they drew up some conservative values, very conservative values, and in some case perhaps they weren't over the line, perhaps they didn't. I have no idea what Project twenty five is.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the football analogies, this was Governor Walls last night after he accepted the nomination and gave a speech, let me finished with this team they're calling him coach.
Speaker 2: That's the fourth quarter. We're down a field goal, but we're.
Speaker 4: On offense and we've got the ball.
Speaker 3: We're driving down the field, and boy, do we have the right team that.
Speaker 2: Hits you right in the lizard brain?
Speaker 4: I do it?
Speaker 5: Does it?
Speaker 4: Does you know this?
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of independent voters may this may benefit them when it comes to independent voters. When you've got, like I said earlier, Michelle Obama bringing down the house one night talking about how Donald Trump wants to take a black job, and then you've got a guy who's folksy football coach who speaks to a different population. And I just think that that's going to play well for them in those swing states.
Speaker 3: Folks, that's a good I mean, that was the word that I thought of last night while I was watching it.
Speaker 7: Is he is?
Speaker 4: He is that guy.
Speaker 1: I mean, you see politicians try to be folksy by saying things like listen, folks. Honestly, I mean look at Gavin Newsom. He tries to be like down earth guy, and it just it backfires for him. But this is the actual guy like he is playing. He's not playing a part here.
Speaker 3: But is that going to be well, I don't know, it's not going to be enough. We've talked or heard discussion about also what he represents, and for some people, especially probably Midwest women, younger women, they feel like they lost their fathers, their uncles, et cetera when they went and supported Donald Trump for president, and that this guy represents that father figure who has more politics that fit what they think.
Speaker 2: Perhaps I've heard.
Speaker 1: That, rave I haven't heard anyone in real life say that. What I would love is for people, if you're still on the fence between Trump and Kamala Harris, I want to know who those people are and where you're at and what will do it for you, what will move you one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Well, and one of those things that may move people is that RFK thing. Whatever happens on Friday.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think that that's going to make an impact whatsoever. I don't think he's got the numbers that will. And I also think that his people are free thinking people. Just because he if he endorses Trump, I don't know if his people will automatically endorse Trump. Well, that's that's not that personality.
Speaker 3: There's a cadre of people who supported him because they didn't.
Speaker 2: Want to support you exactly.
Speaker 3: So jd Vance is on the campaign trailed down in Georgia, and we'll come back.
Speaker 2: We'll play a little bit of.
Speaker 3: His sound from today where he went and hit back at Governor Walls for that speech last night.
Speaker 2: This is the counter.
Speaker 3: Programming that they need, that Republicans need to try to some of the headlines away from the DNC because this is obviously sucking up all the all of the oxygen in the room. These are the kinds of things that jad Vance and Donald Trump are going to have to do is make these headlines. We'll play for you some of what he said today. Well, jd Vance said today down in Georgia.
Speaker 1: We are live in Chicago at the Democratic National Convention. This is the final night, the big night, when Kamala Harris will accept the nomination. There is a little bit of buzz going on here and online as well as to the blank placeholder for an event in one of the spots on the agenda.
Speaker 2: We don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: We don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: We don't know if it's a code word for Taylor Swift a code word for Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Both would prompt the same response when it comes to preparation and security.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we'll get to Jady Vans in just a little bit in terms of some things that he set out on the campaign trail today.
Speaker 2: But we have we have a guest that we'd like to ring here.
Speaker 1: Well, we have been looking for him this whole week. We knew he was here. We know that he has this new exciting venture to run for governor of California. It is our old friend, mild friend, Antonio via Ragosa.
Speaker 5: And John and Ken's old friend.
Speaker 6: Of course.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like I told you just now, they need to write you a check for all you've done for them.
Speaker 7: Tellent to write a check to my governor's race, you know what.
Speaker 1: I bet they will, just so that they have fodder for Well, Ken's gone now, but just so John has fodder for another four years.
Speaker 5: Another four years.
Speaker 2: So what prompted him about me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I always had a smile on and not thin skinned.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah took it. I mean you took it.
Speaker 4: You know, we miss you.
Speaker 1: I think I like a lot of Democrats miss George w I think a lot of people miss you as mayor of Los Angeles after Garcetti and now Karen Karen Bass ditched us. By the way, I may have run a f I complimented her dress from the Olympics, and that.
Speaker 4: Was my lead in. And now she won't talk to us.
Speaker 2: You always have shocked for us.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am so what launched? Like what started this whole thing? To get back into it?
Speaker 7: You know when you well, first of all, thank you for having me on. I was walking out. We bumped into each other and said, oh, we got to do this interview.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 7: A few years ago, I was on the ConA Nolan Show, and I think I surprised everybody when I said I was born and raised here. I've never seen the city so dirty, homeless grow so fast, crime out of control. It feels like Rome is burning and the city's adrift. I felt like there was no leadership. And that was a few years ago. And then I was asked to be Governor Newsom's infrastructure advisor, and I went up and down the state from the Oregon to the Mexican border, and people said you need to come back. They said, we're looking for a problem solver. You know, I'll tell you something what I've liked about this convention. There's too much screaming on both sides. I'm a Democrat, and you know, unabashedly so, but I'm not a screamer. I like working with people I like, you know, I know that people have other views, that they're not made in my image, and that when you work together, you get things done. And that's why when I was speaker, I got two budgets on time when we didn't have a supermajority. I had forty two votes members one year, forty eight another. I had to work with Republicans. We got two budgets on time with a surplus, and invested more money and education that we had previously. I did the same thing as mayor. You know, I took on my friends from time to time, not because I was looking for a fight with my friends, but because I understood, you know, in these jobs, you got to make the tough calls. Sixty percent increase in the graduation rate, forty eight percent drop in violent crime number one American city, and reducing carbon emissions number five in the world. So I think people are looking for people that don't just talk and you know, I like to talk to We all do, especially if you're a politician. But they want to do they want to roll up their sleeves. I was joking with one of my assistants. I said, you know, I'm an eighteen hour day guy. Get up before you and go to sleep after you. And that's what these jobs are all about.
Speaker 1: It's weird hearing somebody talk about policy and numbers here at this movie that.
Speaker 2: Has not yet used the word joy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard joyful warrior or anything, but I mean this, This convention seems short on facts and figures and policy and big party right yeah, yeah, so this is this is refreshing. What is your what has been your takeaway here? You'd agree with us, don't you?
Speaker 5: That's okay to say it's our I like the joy part. I like that.
Speaker 7: I like what the admonition from Bill Clinton and Oprah that those people are neighbors.
Speaker 5: And I think we forget that.
Speaker 7: You know, how many of us go to a Thanksgiving dinner and have family members that have diametrically different views in you, and you love them. They're good people, they just don't agree with you. And I think if we approach that so that part of it, I like, I agree that, you know, we need to define Kamala Harris before the other side does, and that's why they focused on a lot of that because they know in a couple of days, you know, somebody else is going to define her. But you know, look, in the course of this campaign, you're going to see more press conferences because you got to have them, and more detail to the program. Remember, she's part of the Biden Harris team. We know what their politics were all about, we know what their policies are all about. So it's not as if we don't know what Democrats have for because we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk specifically about California and the legislature, and you mentioned super majority. If you were to become governor, is super majority with your party in power? Is that the most optimal way for you to run a state of California?
Speaker 2: Or would you rather see.
Speaker 3: Without campaigning for Republicans obviously because that's not going to happen from you, But would you rather see a more evenly split legislature so that work can be done with a little bit more bipartisan work.
Speaker 7: I actually would like to campaign for Republicans. I won every vote not just a Democratic vote. But I recogniz I'm not Pollyannish. I recognize that we've gotten.
Speaker 5: So partisan, so polarized.
Speaker 7: People see a D or an R in front of your name and they just say, no, what I like, you know, a more even legislature. If there was more consonants in terms of our policies.
Speaker 5: Sure, right now there's not.
Speaker 7: I want to bring people to a results or in the politic.
Speaker 5: You know, people love to talk about fifth.
Speaker 7: Largest economy in the world. How about highest effective poverty rate in America? You know, how about too many people you know work in every single day and don't.
Speaker 5: Make enough to pay rent.
Speaker 7: You know, it used to be that buying a house was part of the American dream.
Speaker 5: Now renting an apartment with three roommates.
Speaker 7: Talk to my kids and everybody else. So yeah, I do. I will try to work with the other side. I don't think there's a problem with it. I'm proud of that. When they asked me to be infrastructure advisor, the first thing I did. Met with the speaker, met with the pro tem, met with the two Republican leaders. They were so surprised that I sat down with them and I said infrastructures are not partisan. Man, Let's put people to work, you know, Let's build rebuild our roads, in our highways and our bridges.
Speaker 5: So I think you're going to see somebody's going to reach out. I think at first, you know, there's not going to be a lot of folks running too my candidacy.
Speaker 7: But I think over time, when people see I'm a nighter, I want to work with everybody.
Speaker 5: You know. Here's what I John and Cam.
Speaker 3: We're on right now, live in Chicago. We're at United Center for day four of the Democratic National Convention. The big deal is that tonight Kamala Harris, vice President, will accept the nomination and then give her big speech. But we're talking with former La Mayor Antonio via Ragosa, the governor's candidate or candidate for governor, just announced a short time ago.
Speaker 1: California is a cesspool. Okay, we're both from San Francisco area. That was a shining city on that I mean, it was a wonderful place. It was one of the best toy It was a tourist destination. I don't go there anymore. I don't want to go there. It's very I got married there, like I love that city, but I don't want to go there anymore because it's it's scary, frankly, like the crazy people, the people on the fentanyl, the open drug markets. I mean, I'm not being super conservative. I'm saying what I see with.
Speaker 4: My own eyes.
Speaker 1: You know, Gavin Newsom comes to Los Angeles a few weeks ago and he starts tearing down an encampment and he's like, if you're not paying attention.
Speaker 4: It's like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 1: We're paying attention, We're living in it. You're not living in it. So what's your plan to clean up the cesspool that has become California?
Speaker 7: You know what side talks constantly about we can't criminalize homelessness, and I agree we can't, but we we can't have the chaos we have today too.
Speaker 5: Look, I've said.
Speaker 7: As an example, you can't put a tent and an encampment in front of a school because I know what neighborhoods are going to go to them.
Speaker 5: I know what neighborhoods are going to go.
Speaker 7: So they're not going to go to the affluent and they're going to go to the poor neighborhoods. Those kids are going to have to walk in the street while somebody is urinating, defecating.
Speaker 5: Or taking drugs.
Speaker 7: Yes, I want to build more housing because we know building housing with wraparound services for the chronically homeless is one of the solutions. More drug rehabilitation programs. But you can't not refuse to go to rehabilitation, stay on the street and say that there aren't going to be consequences for it. So I'm not a criminalization person, but I'm not for the chaos that you talked about either.
Speaker 5: That's why I said a few years ago.
Speaker 7: And let's be clear, I think Karen Bass has done a really different job with respect to homeless and you know her predecessor. Let's just be honest and so but at the end of the day, I think we need to cut red tape and permitting build more housing. You know, I never was afraid to go to a town hall where everybody would scream at me.
Speaker 5: And sometimes, you know.
Speaker 7: You think at first you'd say, wow, they don't like me, and then when soon it's over, they're taking pictures with you.
Speaker 5: And self and will you sign my hat?
Speaker 4: Isn't it weird?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: So it's like it's noise, man.
Speaker 7: And what I noticed after all these years that I've been involved, is like, do the right thing. It's not always going to be popular. People be upset. But I'll tell you what you just said. San Francisco's a great city. Let's make it beautiful again. La is a great city. Let's make it beautiful again.
Speaker 1: What do you think about George Gascon? You know, I'll be real clear, because it's bad.
Speaker 4: La is bad right now.
Speaker 1: Ellie County is lawlessness, I mean no law and order.
Speaker 4: It's horrible.
Speaker 1: And like you said, the homeless people are not going to go to the affluent neighborhoods. Guess what the criminals are going to wreak havoc on the most vulnerable citizens in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: And that's what's happening under his reign.
Speaker 7: I think we have a lot of things going. I think it's a district attorney. I also think that it's that we're.
Speaker 5: Going to have to beef up some of our laws. You know Prop forty seven I voted for.
Speaker 7: It wasn't perfect. We can't be afraid when something's not working to fix it. I'm not for thirty six. And I'll tell you why you don't make change In my opinion with a sledgehammer.
Speaker 5: You make it with, you know, surgically.
Speaker 7: So there are things we need to do, you know, whether it's smash and grab, whether it's people that walk around, rob you once, get out and then rob you again.
Speaker 5: No, that is unacceptable. You know. Look, I was.
Speaker 7: Doing criminal justice reform in the nineteen eighties and nineties when I was president of the ACLU.
Speaker 5: I believe in that we were incarcerating more.
Speaker 7: People than anybody in the world per capita. But some people belong there, and particularly people who are violent, you know, who are sexual predators. There are people that belong in jail. And this notion that, oh, you know those people can be redeemed, Yes, some of them can.
Speaker 5: But yes they're going to jail first.
Speaker 7: And let me just say something else about that forty eight percent drop in violent crime. We went from one of the most dangerous big cities, more dangerous in Chicago, to one of the safest.
Speaker 5: How did we do it? More cops putting a.
Speaker 7: Thousand cops on the street or close to a thousand, but also kicking guns off the street. Prevention and intervention program I expanded dramatically after school programs, summer youth Jobs, summer night likes which you've gone to Shannon, So you got to do all.
Speaker 5: Of the above.
Speaker 7: I want to do all of the above, not just talk tough, be smart on crime. But let's be clear about one thing. You got to be accountable for your actions.
Speaker 5: And so that's what I think.
Speaker 3: Describe the relationship between the mayor of a big city like you were and the governor whoever it is at the time, because you're going to be you want to be on the other side of that. You want to be the governor who helps out these you know, big city mayors. What is that relationship? Like, how do you work with somebody in that capacity.
Speaker 7: Well, you're a supplicant, you know, you got to go to the governor and the legislature for resources, for money, for changing laws, for making laws, so you know, trying to be nice, right, trying.
Speaker 5: To work with them. But you're also an advocate.
Speaker 7: If you remember, we cut redevelopment in the middle of the worst recession since the nineteen twenties, and I had to take on the governor and he was the governor of my own party when I was Speaker. From time to time I took on Pete Wilson, but I also worked with him.
Speaker 5: We did healthy families together. We did the largest school bond in US history together, nine billion dollar bond we did.
Speaker 7: We did a lot of things together, and so you know, you mostly try to work on them because you are a supplicant.
Speaker 5: You're going to them. But sometimes you got to stand up for what you got to stand up for.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you cut your hair. It was getting a little wild there. I was worried about you.
Speaker 3: There was a great picture that we saw yesterday. We were talking about trying to find you here at the convention. It's a picture from a few years.
Speaker 4: Ago, your hairs a little bit longer, like what's going on?
Speaker 7: Call?
Speaker 2: You got like pokashees or something.
Speaker 4: It's like a burning man.
Speaker 2: What are we doing here?
Speaker 5: Boks.
Speaker 7: So my people tell me certain, you know, this jacket with a T shirt.
Speaker 5: Jeans and sneakers ain't gonna give out it. You can't do it.
Speaker 2: I don't have to have a tie anywhere.
Speaker 5: I want to be a regular guy. And they said, please put on a suit.
Speaker 3: They are and Tonio Viragoso also running for governor. Twenty twenty six is the election. Thanks for stopping by, Thanks for making time for us.
Speaker 2: Man thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you to you.
Speaker 3: Now, there's one thing I will say, disagree with with vir Gosa on most of his politics.
Speaker 2: But I know who he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean there's I don't feel like he hides much of anything.
Speaker 1: I don't agree with a lot of my friends on all politics.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's it's but I know who they are as people.
Speaker 1: And that's the difference between someone like him or somebody like Gavin. Gavin what my first name basis. Now, listen, I've been sitting in this soup week. I've had it. I've had it with politics. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: So August twenty, second day four of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump just arrived in Arizona. He'll visit the southern border before a rally in Glendale tonight, part of the campaign's effort to counter program the DNC this week, Trump will be at the Desert Desert Diamond Arena this evening, the same venue Kamala Harris drew a crowd of fifteen thousand earlier this month, no doubt to talk about how his crowd is bigger and more beautiful.
Speaker 3: He's also going to be busy tonight. He says, he's going to be doing play by play of Kamala Harris's acceptance speech on truth Social He's been trying to get some attention and actually they're doing, I guess as good a job as you could possibly do in terms of trying to get some of the headlines away from Democrats, because this is their week, this is their party.
Speaker 1: Nancy Pelosi not a fan of the popular camp pain pin that's been floating around here. This is the one we told you about yesterday. It's a picture of her face. It's a black and white pin, and it's the Godmother. It's the Godfather's same font and same little puppet master type thing that hangs down there with the strings, and Pelosi says, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Amused by that. I don't appreciate people.
Speaker 1: Making pins with my image without my approval.
Speaker 2: But it's one, true, accurate.
Speaker 3: Royals beat the Angels three to nothing yesterday, so the Angels are in Toronto to take on the Blue Jays. Dodgers completed the sweep of the Mariners with an eight to four win yesterday.
Speaker 2: Borrow night.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Dodgers take on the Tampa Bay Rays first pitch at seven. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and stream all games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: So we had said that the protests up to this point outside United Center and throughout downtown chicag go relatively quiet. I mean a couple thousand people at a time that are making are putting together these demonstrations. We saw dozens of people arrested outside the Israeli Consulate. There were another couple thousand people who were protesting yesterday, and to be honest, they didn't There were no arrests according to the according to the Chicago Police Department. And when you look at what was promised, or at least what we had seen in terms of pro Palestinian protesters over the last couple of months, several months, it had the opportunity, it had a real chance of getting out of hand, and at this point it has well.
Speaker 1: Apparently there's been a groundswell of Democratic lawmakers in just the last hour who have announced their support for scheduling a pro Palestinian speaker to discuss the war in Gaza at this convention tonight. Among them Representative Roe Conna of California.
Speaker 3: Now he has actually posted on social media the Palestinian right to self determination was erased by the British with the Valfour declar which mentioned civil and religious but not political rights. The dem Party is making a tragic mistake in twenty twenty four perpetuating this erasure of the Palestinian story and voice at this I mentioned earlier that somebody had gone to the campaign, a campaign spokesman for Harris, and asked how come there is no pro Palestinian speaker?
Speaker 2: And all they said.
Speaker 3: Was Vice President Harris is in favor of a ceasefire in Gaza. That's It wouldn't explain why they were not going to allow somebody on the stage.
Speaker 1: Why would they allow somebody on the stage to speak for this movement when it's at odds with the administration currently and the incoming if she were to win, Why would you want to highlight that at your event, at your party.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think that's part of what some people are not recognizing. I think we've done a good job of pointing out this is a giant choreographed event. It's all flash, it's zero policy's.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not a fair contact. This is not like you know, you want the fair go to Pomona. This is not what's fair and what's not. It's just their party the way that they want to do it.
Speaker 4: And there's no way they're going to.
Speaker 1: Give the stage to people that are protesting this very event.
Speaker 4: This is not going to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it would be surprised if they do. I know that we talk about it, you know, gaining some momentum, and this uses the word groundswell. I don't think it rises to the level of getting somebody on stage that's going to say something. Because listen, if we're talking about also, I mean to keep in mind how much of a show this is. We were literally talking earlier about this open spot on the schedule for tonight that nobody knows what's going on. It's just a blocked out time that could be anything. Yes, there were rumors about Beyonce to prove how much of a show this is, or even Taylor Swift whatever, But but they're not going to erase that.
Speaker 2: They're not going to get rid of that.
Speaker 3: They're not going to overshadow that by having somebody come in and talk about war.
Speaker 2: So Trump Tower, by the way, we took a picture.
Speaker 3: Of Trump Tower just the other day when we were walking through downtown to get to the California delegate breakfast. And Trump Tower is one of those hotels that is not getting business downtown, or probably the only one that's not getting business downtown. But the Republican counter programming has been taking place in vivek Ramaswami has been a Trump surrogate holding news conferences down there. There was a pro Palestinian protester, a guy named Bennett Hazelton, who, hours after vivik Ramaswami wrapped up a news conference, actually sat down and had a conversation with Vivek Ramaswami. They talked briefly, they shared a handshake, and according to The New York Times, this pro Palestinian protester then said of Vivek, he comes across as sincere in being open to debate.
Speaker 2: So that's good.
Speaker 1: Do you see this pass from Justin to Q. Look at this perfectly placed.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that Justin's practice.
Speaker 1: He's back at practice, and he all he threw were touchdown passes. Yesterday, Day twenty one a training camp.
Speaker 2: There is no chance he's playing on Saturday.
Speaker 4: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: Do you know how refreshing it is to just sit here and watch Justin Herbert throw the football as opposed to.
Speaker 4: Anything else, all the other stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk trending when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app