Speaker 1: It's nice eyes.
Speaker 2: Undoing Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, sold a couple of things before we get to our phone calls.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: This is the twentieth Hour, And for those of you who are not familiar with the twentieth hour, it's pretty simple concept. When we start a program on a Monday night at eight o'clock, generally there's five week nights every week Monday, Tuesday, Wasay, Thursday, Friday. And Rob and I are here from well, he's where he is and I'm where I am. I work remotely. Rob is back at the Big Control room at the Big Socket at Broadcast headquarters. But we work from eight to midnight. I worked during the day. Rob works from really seven to three. He has a tougher schedule and he's the one that puts a lot of the programming up the night Side and Demand. And by the way, any hour you want to listen to night Side and Demand over the weekend, feel free. You can just go to Nightside on demand dot com. Also, by the way, as I mentioned a few times, if you're thinking about Christmas presence and you have friends who are Nightside listeners, you can surprise them with a Nightside T shirt or Nightside Sweatshirt, Nightside tote bag, now Nightside Coffee mug. Just go to Knightside Gear, Nightside Gear Gear or one word dot com. That is through our friends at College Hype. We have a little bit of an outlet store where if you'd like to show your pride in Nightside you you can do it that way. Now, a couple of items which I'd just like to mention. We are in year eighteen of this program, and this will be the eighteenth year that we have done a very special program, and that is our Nightside College Admissions program. Every year for eighteen well for seventeen years and there will be eighteen this year. We have invited some of the most important people in the college admissions process. They make themselves available to us. Bill Fitzsimmons, who's the Dean of Admissions, the longtime dean of admissions at Harvard College Harvard University, and also Grant Goslin, who is the admissions director. They have different titles at Boston College. So if you have a person in your family who is coming up towards that college experience, someone in the freshman and sophomore junior year of high school and they want to talk with either Bill Fitzsimmons of Harvard or Grant Goslin of Boston College an extremely extremely critical period of time, get advice on the admissions process. If you're a parent and you have a question about the cost of colleges or universities. We do this every year. It'll be at eight o'clock on Monday, December ninth, So please mark your calendar and tell your friends about this, because again it's an opportunity to talk with either Bill Fitzimmons of Harvard or Grand Gostlin of Boston College. Not that that's going to get you in to either one of those schools, but hey, sometimes you can pick up a tip and just learn about the college process because it goes by very quickly and it's daunting. Now, I also want to very quickly just review our week, as I always do, and then we're going to go to brushes with celebrity. And I know that many of you realize that is my favorite twentieth hour of the week. It is the twentieth hour because if you calculate five nights, four hours a night from eight to midnight, it works out the twenty hours. And this is number twenty. And what we do with brushes with celebrities. We invite you to call and tell us an experience that you've had with a celebrity. Doesn't have to be a former president or anything like that. Celebrities come in all shapes and sizes, and if it's a celebrity to you, it's a celebrity to us. And I also ask you if you've had a good experience with someone who you've met. Sometimes you meet someone on an airplane, you meet them sitting in a I don't know, in a restaurant, walking along the street. If you've got a good experience, we love to hear a celebrity who treats you well. If you've had a bad experience or an ugly experience, feel free to tell us that story as well. Now this week just some of the stories that we have covered. This week. We cover four every night at eight o'clock. In our eight o'clock hour, we really do cover a lot of different stories. So, for example, on Monday night, we talked about the Boston Public Art Triennial with Kate Gilbert. We talked about artificial intelligence, the pros, the cons and the pitfalls with Abdu Maurra. We talked with Wayne Sores about Silent Dignity, a movie that he's putting together about Vietnam veterans. We talked with Jennifer Schaeffer, the chair of the Marvelhead School Committee, about the continuing strikes in those three communities, marvel Head, Gloucester and Beverly. We then talked a couple of hours about the idea of why is it the Teachers' union seem to always strike in the middle of the year, and maybe they should have to do their negotiatings in the negotiations in June and July. A couple of themes. This week Monday Night at eleven we talked about what the Democratic Party should do to recover from their loss a week and a half ago to the Republicans. We talked with a fellow named Brett Stevens about turning dirty diapers into electricity. Talked with the music director of the New Philarmonia Orchestra of Newton with Jorge Soto. Talk with Norfolk County Sheriff Pat McDonough, Patrick McDonough and Steve Sweeney, great comedian about a sober comedy night, which I think was tonight down in down in Quincy. Talk with Alison T. Baldy about seven great New England beaches in the fall.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then we talked about school strikes and about a plan that I proposed to stop these school strikes from They're illegal in Massachusetts and these teachers unions are being fined. Talked about celebrities threatening to leave the US in the wake of the Trump victory. Wednesday night. Talked with doctor Kira Bobinet about something called habenoa hit, sort of like an adrenaline hit. Talk with Matty Peppin of the Boston Globe about the upcoming winter ski season. Talk with doctor Dan Dennis Sharff about the concussions and Christian Tejer of some new things at the Massachusetts Lottery. Talked with about homeless ordinance in Brockton with homeless city Councilor Shirley Asak and what to do about the homeless problem. That's a real problem. Talk with fous Raggio about fixing your addiction. If you have an addiction, check out Thursday nights eight o'clock hour and listen to what Foust Raggerio had to say. Talk with Jeremiah one of the Freedom Trails strolls that's going to be coming soon. Talk with Adam Dumay about do you Buy Now and do You Wait for? Black Friday? With Justin Burr about the top trending gifts this Christmas season. Last night Congressman Seth Moulton about some of the controversy that he's been dealing with in the Democratic Party. Reaction of his interview for an hour, and then we had reaction last night to Donald Trump's cabinet nominations. Tonight talked with Alex London, a librarian out of Worcester, about this book that was returned to the library after fifty one years. Talk with a really interesting guy at a Brookline Smaller who has visited literally like twenty four hundred stadiums around the world. We'll have him on as a full hour guest. Talk with doctor Jeremy Abramson about stage three non Hodgkin lymphoma. Talk with eight year old Bobby his young boy who has decided to have a pop up bookstore believe it or not, and he's collected some of his books. Bobby Atkinson lives in Winchester and he was a great guest and a real goal getter. Talked about Christmas creep and also talked about the pink House with Rachel Rochelle. Joseph was the president of the support the Pink House up in Plumb Island. Anyway, that's what we've done this week. That's just one week of Nightside. You can listen to all the hours of Nightside. Just go to Nightside and demand over the weekend. When we get back, you brush with celebrity? Who'd you meet? How did they treat you? Was it a good experience? It's amazing in my audience the number of people that you had met, you collectively had met along the way. We will get right to those phone calls, I promise right after this one of our very quick, quicker commercial breaks coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, without any further Ado Rushes with Celebrity, one of my favorite favorite hours. It's a great way to end the week. David in Somerville, David first tonight on Nightside Brushes with Celebrity. Who would your celebrity be? David?
Speaker 5: I have three, but I'll start out with Don Rickles.
Speaker 1: Come on, where'd you meet? Well? Where where'd you meet him?
Speaker 5: I met him at a restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, many years ago. I was a seventeen year old employee dishwasher slash bus boy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Okay, Now he came in and he came to this restaurant regularly and with an entourage of people, of course, you know, at least nine or ten or maybe more. So. He came in this day and he very loud person, and he asked to see the bus boy with the worst complexion with the first pimples right, And I immediately went towards him. Though I was not the one. There was another guy who was really bad. I just had a few pimples here and there, and I went over to him and I said, uh, hey, what do you want your hockey puck? And I took him by surprise. I it was something, you know, I just took him by surprise, and uh he just handed me a hundred dollars bill folded up and said thanks for coming over. So then, uh, then I met Davy Jones.
Speaker 1: Uh uh, singing right, singing right.
Speaker 5: Yeah from the monkeys as Yeah, you must have been five foot one at the most smallest, and the girls were all around him. It was at a place called the Candy Store. Very popular bar and bought Lauderdale and uh, I just hung out with him, and uh I couldn't get, you know, get to talk to him everything. There was so many women around him was unbelievable. And the third one I met the same at the same place, was you remember such an agon Ray.
Speaker 1: Store Larry Storage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Larry Store. Yes, I met him and uh uh I had several drinks with him and uh had fun with him. And that also was at the U Yeah candy store, So yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: It was in Florida. It sounds that was your place in Florida. David. Those are good ones. The Ricords one is amazing. Hundred bucks. That was real money when he got hundred bucks back of the day.
Speaker 5: You kidding me? And I beat I beat the guy who was in front who wanted to go over, and you know, because he had ampos all over space. So what I got there fair enough?
Speaker 1: And David, I gotta let you run. I get packed lines here a great, great way to start us off. And everybody treated you well, which is most important. Thanks David, talk to you so good night. Let me go to Gary and Woburn. I'll bet you Gary has some stories.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Gary, I got one. I met Rush Conway before he passed passed away? You know who Rush Conway was?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I think I should know, but I'm blanking on it.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Well it's right down your alley because you're a hockey guy throughout your life and as a kid. Yes, hockey. Uh he wrote the book Uh that exposed Allen Eagleson.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, he's a hockey writer. And he was based up was he Lowell? Up in that neck of the woods.
Speaker 6: He was an Eagle Tribune sports writer for a decade.
Speaker 1: Lawrence Eagle Tribune. Sure, No, I'm sorry I blanked on the name. I a good guy. By the way, from what I.
Speaker 6: Understand, did you ever have him on as a guest?
Speaker 1: Never did? Never did. No, I never was doing TV. I was doing TV at the time. So I'm guessing, if I had to, I'm guessing Russ has probably been gone for twenty years. What do you think?
Speaker 7: Boom?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he must have died in his mid fifties. But here's the catch. Okay, when I met him int the Haveral Chinese restaurant, He's sitting at the bar eating and I go up to him and make some conversation with him before. Now I saw him from a distance before, because after all, he was local because I used to live in the Merrick Valley. But here's something I go right after from Russ talking on this stat blank blank blank, I'm talking about Sterry o'rally, and he says, oh, he blows the Hall of Fame. He had a different brand of hockey, but he definitely he was had the type of playmanship that deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. And then he said something about obviously Ellen Eagleson, it'll stay with you and me forever. He goes like, yes, I'll tell you how upset the players were. Instead of just talking about the criminal act of killing someone, he goes against. Brad Pack said it so poetically. He said, I'm going to the Hall of Fame, Russ, and I'm going to rip that plaque off the wall if they don't put him in jail.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah. By the way, he passed away at the age of seventy in twenty nineteen, so he hasn't been gone that long. But he was a great reporter, great writer. But he was a writer who was also a reporter. He did his homework yep.
Speaker 6: So brad Pack that's a story for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good one too. Let me tell you. Thanks, Gary, appreciate it. Have a great night, have a good weekend. We going to see next, you know, gonna go see next. We're gonna go see John in Dorchester. John, You're next on Night Side. Who's your brush with celebrities?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 6: Uh Well?
Speaker 3: I used to carry on the men's golf tour and the women's tour, and then the off season we were out at Lakeside golf clubs to Luca Lake Vocals, remember Cymbals, Junior Grectis, all those people. But my it was a day before Thanksgiving and I think it was eighty six and it was Frankie Uh. Joe Namath was in a cat He just did a Monday Night came in December. He flew in Sandy Kolfax. He said he had a place in name. He was in the cot. I carried Frank the Avalon's bag and then one of the other guys and they were great. Frank the Avalon was funny though about the second he just kept asking about the ladies on the tour.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure I don't want to. I don't I don't want to open that can of orange. I think you know what I was gonna sit what they're gonna say, but but.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm guessing but that, but that's quite a crude Joe name it Sandy Kofax and Frankie Avalon.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, and uh but it was funny the other thing, the thing that came out of uh frank Diavalon Beach, Patty Bingo. They were in next full Intello. One of his kids was either on the prices right or let's make a deal. And they won the whole shooting match and he goes, we had to pay taxes on that. As soon as he said that, I said, I know he's not going to give me a nickel. And sure enough we have finished. He said, oh, the member told me not to tip it. And he said they jump off the Golden Gate bridge, would you? And uh, I swear again? What what?
Speaker 1: What course?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What course?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: This was called Lake Lake Side Golf Club, the Smokehouse. Lesson was right next door to it, but Warner Brothers was directly across the street with but what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, where you're talking about in southern California at this.
Speaker 3: Point, Yes, yeah, yes, that's a tool of the lake, notth Hollywood, California for a bank Studios was great there there and and these were these.
Speaker 1: Guys were in the foursome name of Kofax and Frankie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, uh name. It was funny. On about the fifth fall, he goes, Hey, Boston, John min favor, go in and get us like four pitchers of greyhounds, like it was a lot or great food juice, And so I started running, where you going take the cat? And then uh Avon goes, I'm gonna have to carry my own bag and name it goes Boston Jones was right, you're tighter than the skin on a fun way. Frank anyway, so I go and grab them and I finished my name. It gave me like a hundred cofax that don't say anything my golf clubs on the cat look underneath it with one hundred under there. The member gave me, I think a juice and uh Bablon didn't give me anything anything but the fact that that was eighty six. It was good money.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was two hundred dollars for a day's work. Yeah, that's that.
Speaker 3: It was the night before Thanksgiving. I pull home and I ended up I had a girl I was dating at the time, and a parent slipped in the data not the data in a little district, and I was saying with her and I saw the Mason's Date parade the next day, and then I took the train home in the box and like a home my Thanksgiving a night or something. So yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 1: Those are good memories. You know. You should have got the four of them to sign some autographs for you, and you would have made a lot more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't do that, you know. I chided you for uh, what's your name? But he played Bonnie Miller in San Diego at.
Speaker 1: The the I know you you're talking about Albert.
Speaker 3: He was a pretty good thing.
Speaker 1: Oh hell, hell Lindon Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hell. And then I caddies with Steve wynn Uh in Vegas. I think all the desident I had something to do it. He was really nice.
Speaker 1: He should have been a big tipper.
Speaker 3: What you do?
Speaker 1: What'd you do spend a few years you know as a caddy as a professional caddy? Did we lose him? I just lost him. I didn't hang up on him. Yeah, he dropped off. Okay, Well, take a break. Here's the news. That was a good one. John from Dorchester, Joe, name is Sandy Kofax, and Frankie Avalon quite a crow. We'll be back on nightside Feel Free Joint. The only line that's open right now is six one seven.
Speaker 2: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, let's keep rolling here. We got we got pack lines. We just got pack lines. Let me go Laurie in Idaho real quickly, here, Laurie, how are you tonight?
Speaker 8: I'm doing okay. So mine is one that you know about because you were one of the reasons that happened, and it was talking to Joke Ostiglio. Oh yeah, it's a long distance precious greatness.
Speaker 1: That's okay. That Joe was a great guy and he was fun that night.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was, and I listened him for years and I just love him, so it was it was really a great.
Speaker 6: Thing for me.
Speaker 1: So well, you've told me that you're a Red Sox fan, and you get Red Sox baseball games that you listened to out in uh in Idaho.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah. With the with the satellite unnamed, I can get the home radio broadcast of every single game that was played.
Speaker 4: Now well that's yeah.
Speaker 1: So you're on the internet. You listen to us on the internet too, though, I mean, yeah I.
Speaker 7: Do, and yeah, you're your single does not go this far?
Speaker 1: Well, I had one guy I one night. I think I might have told you at one point. Guy and IHO called me one night from Idaho. All right, No, never called again. Uh and he said we're all So he says, I I know. I said, well, what are you are you listening you know, to us on the internet. He said no, he says, I'm in my truck. I said you don't. You don't have a tablet. He said, no, I'm in my truck. That's a skip, Laurie. I mean that guy, it is.
Speaker 8: And there there are some high mountains out here. Are mountains are way highed? Who is New England mountains?
Speaker 4: So oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a guy listening one night who was a construction worker who was from eastern Canada who listens to us a lot. And he was listening to us on a ten transistor radio in Winnipeg, on his ten transistor radio, so he didn't have a he didn't have a table Why we love radio?
Speaker 8: I love radio, My dad love radio. And it's I love radio, and so if it has to be embraced by the Internet out here, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Just just just look at the the people that we've talked to tonight, you know, between David Gary John and you you know, Don Rickles, Joe, Nama City, Kovax. It's amazing the number of people that who meet very interesting people, you know, the circumstances.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it is amazing.
Speaker 8: And I'm most a minor classical music which nobody cares about. But Joe jocastigly on for me was a huge, huge, kind I owe you for him getting for you getting him on the show, and I just I thank you for that, and it was it was, it was a great thing for me.
Speaker 1: I thank you for being my most loyal listener in Idaho. Believe it or not. I was actually talking to a sales representative in Idaho today and I thought about you earlier today, said I wonder where this person is. I said, we're about Idaho. I said, well, I know someone in Idaho.
Speaker 8: It's a very tall state and the southern part of the state is very different from the northern part of state. But yeah, so anyway, anyway, thank you for for my most recent brush with greatness longest we.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks for the call. Thanks Laurie, talk to you soon and have a great night. Good All right, talk about a brush with celebrity. We have a celebrity calling to talk about a brush with some other celebrity. Livingston Taylor. Hi Livingston, how are you, Dan?
Speaker 5: I'm just fine.
Speaker 4: Nice to hear your voice.
Speaker 1: Well, great to hear yours as well. Where were you You were performing somewhere tonight? I assume yes.
Speaker 4: I had a show and a Arundel Maine at Vinegar Hill. It's an absolutely wonderful music venue, and we were all sold out and the natives were friendly, and I just had a great time. And I was listening to you on the way home as I often do, and because I love VS Radio, as you know, and I had a celebrity under myself, which really made an impression on me.
Speaker 1: Who was that? I?
Speaker 4: Okay, I was at Boston Garden and I was listening at a ute to concert again.
Speaker 9: Uh uh uh uh.
Speaker 4: It was a Don Law promotion, and Don's a good friend of mine.
Speaker 3: And uh uh.
Speaker 4: And so I was there. I was walking it was fairly uh uh dark, and I saw two friends of mine, David and Nina Fialco, and.
Speaker 1: I know David Filo absolutely.
Speaker 4: And so so they were there and I said, Hi David, Hi Nino, I live, you know, and we're having greetings. And there was a person with David, and again it was dark.
Speaker 7: And not that easy to see who was there.
Speaker 4: And David said to me, uh, meet our friend Jezelle. And I turned and I looked and it was Giselle Dungeon, Tom Brady's formal wife, Brady's former wife. And I turned and I was surprised by the celebrity. I wasn't expecting to see her. And she did the most gracious, kind thing that I've ever seen, knowing that being completely situationally aware, understanding who and what she was and the effect that it would have on me, and that in my surprise, I'd sort of look at her and go oh oh, oh, hi, oh, I really like the way your husband plays football or something, and then spend the rest of the night going stupid, stupid. And she but this is what she did, Dank. She saw me my surprise, and she took my hand and she shook it and she said, Livingston, my name is Gizelle, and it's nice to meet you, giving me time to regain my composure. It was the most gracious thing I've ever seen a celebrity do. And trust me, I've met plenty of them.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sure of that. So what she did was she slowed the moment down, almost the same thing that an athlete will do when when the game's going too fast. The great athletes will slow the game down so they can, you know, deal with what what's going on.
Speaker 4: Wow, it was just it was just so gracious of her to understand who's she was, what she was, what affect that her celebrity and beauty would have on me, and she protected me until I regained my composure. It was just the classiest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: But that's a great story, Livingston, That is a great story. So are you? I'm assuming you're on ninety five South at this point somewhere.
Speaker 10: I or you are?
Speaker 5: You are?
Speaker 11: Have got that right?
Speaker 4: I'm ninety five South, and of course I'm just by Georgetown and Rowley, And of course, of course I'm driving modestly.
Speaker 1: Right, no doubt, no doubt. We don't want any trooper to pull you over.
Speaker 8: And as for okay, I do not want to be pulled over.
Speaker 5: While I'm on the.
Speaker 1: Air with you, Dan, I'm with you. I'm with you, Livingston. Great to hear your voice. We got to grab lunch someday and uh leave it in my court. If I can catch you when you're hanging around town and not out touring somewhere left to left to grab lunch.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love to I'd love to do that. And at some point I'll grab my guitar, I'll come by Night's side and we'll, uh, we'll throw a few tunes and we'll talk music.
Speaker 1: Well, I would, I would also. I would also love to do that. I do now all my shows remotely. I haven't been in studio. The last time we were together, I was in studio and it was before COVID. But we still can do exactly what we're talking about. Great, so we'll set that up as well. I think the audience would really love it.
Speaker 6: Okay, Oh I would as well.
Speaker 4: Well. Thanks for having such a wonderful show, and we will speak soon.
Speaker 1: Dan, absolutely Livingston, talk to you soon, my friend.
Speaker 6: Bye, Thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Bye bye. So there's a celebrity telling us about us their meeting with the celebrity. So celebrities meet celebrities as well. Okay, I am going to take a quick break. I don't want to short short cut or short change Mike in Watertown or Jack on the Cape, and I, for the first time tonight, have some open lines here, so fill them up. We'll get you in. I promise. Six one seven, two, five, foard ten thirty, six one seven, Well, just do the two five, four to ten thirty because the nine three one ten thirty they'll those lines are full. Six one seven, two, five, four to ten thirty. Just a little inside secret. We have five lines, folks. We have three with two six one seven, two five four to ten thirty. Those are open right now, which they should not be. And we a couple of folks dropped off. If you've dropped off, call back, we'll put you back in line. If not, call in and fill the lines. And then we have two with six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. So we'll get to Mike and Jack. Jack will be first, Mike will be second, and then you'll be third. If you dial right now, you're brushed with celebrity so far, all all of the including Livingston Taylor's brush with Giselle Bunchkin not only was pleasant and kind, but she was able to slow the meeting meeting down a little bit. And those of us who have ever been in that situation where you meet someone and you kind of either aren't exactly sure the circumstances or who the person is you, sometimes you need to have someone kind of introduce themselves to you. We'll be back on Night's Ide. Feel free join the conversation back right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z the news radio.
Speaker 1: Next up is Jack on the Cape. Hey Jack, welcome back. How are you Jack?
Speaker 7: Dan, I can't thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to share this story.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to it. Now, go right ahead.
Speaker 7: So I'm down here on the Cape and I'm driving ab and I get a call and it's a call I got to go to Hyanna's Marina, okay, And and he's the call is kind of like, you know, take care of the guy. So I go down there and find the guy and you know, pick him up and pick him up and the girl with him, and and so they're going up on the north side of the Scargo Cafe and he says, we're going to want to hold you tonight. I said, okay, whatever. And so we're driving up from Hyanna's up to the north Side and they're just chit chatting. But the girl is snapping the gum. I don't know if you know, you know how gum snappers are.
Speaker 1: Ye, I hear you, Yeah, I hear you. The north side you're talking about the north side of the Cape, or the north side of Ya's Port or what.
Speaker 7: No, north side of the Cape? Corset up this cargo up the Cargo cafe, have dinner. And he says, well, we're we're going to catch the playhouse and you know, and I mean anyway.
Speaker 1: There right, yeah, the playout the playoffs is over in Dennis, right, I think correct, and Scargo Cafe right across the street.
Speaker 7: So you know, we're going up there and I'm just listening to the you know there she's just chewing his ear off, snapping their gum and you know, and anyway, so we get up there and and uh we pull in. He says, here's twenty don't hold me. You know, he wants to hold the cab and you don't going to.
Speaker 4: Have to worry.
Speaker 1: It should be more than twenty if he's going to hold the cab for dinner, but go ahead.
Speaker 7: Well okay, so uh you know, so I wait for him and he comes out here. Here's another twenty and they're going to go to the playhouse and watch the play. There's another twenty long story short. It's philled on a Hue and his wife Marlo Thomas.
Speaker 1: Whoa yeah, yeah, Donna, Donna who just died, as you.
Speaker 4: Know, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 7: But he was awesome. Chill Donaghy was an awesome guy. He had a great show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh he he was one of the first that did the live TV shows with the audience. Yeah, no, no, no, no, no, you He was a he was a groundbreaker. There's no doubt.
Speaker 7: Totally love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and about him. Yeah, and it's unfortunate that Marlow was a gun's gum snapper.
Speaker 7: I find yourself sorry, I mean, I'm having to listen to him, listen to him, listen to her while she's snapping her gum who was anyway?
Speaker 1: That was my pay Hey Jack, thanks so much. That's a great one. I really really appreciated that one. That's a good one. Thanks man, Like you right, we got a one line at six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty one at six one, seven, nine, three, ten thirty Gotta go to Mike in Watertown. Hey Mike, welcome back.
Speaker 4: How are you hey?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 11: Thanks for taking my call. I don't know some of these guys, but I've been listening to show for a while. I was UPS driver for many many years, and UH had the honor of meeting Bill Buckner. And I'll tell you what the heck of a guy he was.
Speaker 5: Was this before Afterkie Wilson was about probably four or five years after the.
Speaker 1: The day the night the play Well, I thought that you had had had gotten out of town and had relocated from many years to Ida.
Speaker 11: He did, he but he owned a He came back to Boston and he had a hitting instruction clinic in Waltham, Okay. And Uh, I was on that probably route for fifteen years. And he moved in and he painted all the inside the building looked like Fenway Park and the other half was like inside looked like Wrigley. And he was a hell of a nice guy. I'll tell you he's always talk to and I got to know him, and he was all a kid, because why are you live in packages? You should play baseball. They'll be hit away in the cages at lunchtime a couple of times and gave me some advice. It's a real nice, nice guy. And uh I got to know him personally after a while. I'm like, you know, I says, you don't deserve that the BS the media put you through here. I said, you're a hell of a guy, you know. And he appreciated that. And then he finally left and his manager took over and the place folded about a year later. And then another time I got to meet Juliet Childs.
Speaker 4: That was strange.
Speaker 11: It was the first Saturday that upstarted delivering overnight packages on Saturdays, and they called a few of us in and there she was, I'm like, your ps on this Saturday. I'm like, yeah, you got a cookbook delivered but nicely. And then one all the time, I know you're a big baseball guy and I was just a kid, but a one time one to come up a clear even Indians in your early eighties, Joe Shaban.
Speaker 1: Oh, sure you have Rookie of the Year. And then he was done. He was one and done on the league.
Speaker 11: Up like crazy. There was a rain delay at Fenway. I was like fifteen or sixteen. Me, my buddy it u was a hundred bucks, and so went down and get me a couple of hot dogs and the solder and you guys, get me you want and keep the change. So we ran down, gone the stop, and he came.
Speaker 7: Back and.
Speaker 1: Not dogs.
Speaker 11: During the game, maybe maybe that raindelay. He was sitting in a chair in the right field corner, right right down the a tusky pole. Me and my buddy ran down and get an autograph. Yeah, I'll give you an autograph. I wont a couple of dogs, you know. And we ran down gone with dogs, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Now, But I gotta tell you, you know that the argument was that mc namara should have put Stapleton in as a defensive replacement for bucking and Buckden was working with bad legs and then that ball just his legs. Absolutely had to pass ball, you know. Yeah, a lot. There's always more than one or two factors that goes into something like that. Hey, Mike, I got to run because they're gonna get a couple more in here. Thanks that those men, greatstof Thanks Buddy. Talk to you soon, John and Drake and John. I want to get you in one more in maybe go ahead.
Speaker 10: John, all right, Hey Dan, real quick. I was working for Wingate Management in Boston at nineteen twenty five Comab, working for the Shuster family, and I was working for them as a maintenance uh director at the building. And two shoply dressed men showed up at my unit. I lived in the building, I was living superintendent. And they had passes on their on their uniforms. There was a secret service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I believe with big Democratic contributors, right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah. His wife was the Democratic National Committee chairperson, yep and Elaine, And of course they were bringing in Bill Clinton for a picture there, and he was in the limo coming up com Ab and they wanted to check the building. They had uh German Shepherd's on top of the elevators. They checked my whole unit. They had me bring them down on the boiler room. It was absolutely Was this after.
Speaker 1: His presidency or was he still president?
Speaker 10: He was, no, he was it was during his second year?
Speaker 4: Second year?
Speaker 10: Wow, so nine ninety five.
Speaker 1: And how did the former president treacher?
Speaker 10: I hope, Well, he was unbelievable. I said, mister Clinton, was very nice to meet you, sir, And he said, well, nice to me. You too.
Speaker 3: What do you do for work here?
Speaker 10: I says, I'm the maintenance director. He said, wow, so what.
Speaker 3: Do you do?
Speaker 10: Like go around pitts and toilets. It was like it was like pretty cool, like I got his voice down bad, I got a kick on and he was very nice.
Speaker 1: And you gotta be you got you did a good job on that one. Yeah. I've met Clinton many times. He was always a pretty friendly guy to deal with.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he was genuinated.
Speaker 3: He talked to me for about four minutes and then he was honest, way quick.
Speaker 1: Then you got it, got it? We could compare Bill Clinton accent some night you and me. Okay, oh yeah, I gotta I gotta get one more in here real quick.
Speaker 10: John in Boston, I listened to WBS with Dan Ray have a good all.
Speaker 3: Right, I like that.
Speaker 1: I'll put that on as a promo piece, mister President, Thank you much.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I hey John and Maine. John, I gave you about thirty seconds. What do you got for me?
Speaker 9: Okay, this is for Live. One time I was coming out of a lesson with Charlie Banakas and I met liv Uh. We were back to back in our lessons with the Great Charlie Banakas all right, Charlie might remember that, I mean, excuse me. And Charlie's not been within it for quite a while. Live may remember that. And I was introduced to him and I met Sonny Rowans at the airport on a tour that I was going on and he was. We had played at Symphony Hall the night before, and that was right, real.
Speaker 1: Week, John, I wish, I wish you'd call literally, but I'm flat out of time. I'm hoping Livingston Taylor was continuing to listen and heard the story that you told about him. I thank you so much. Brought this, brought the show full circle. Thanks again. Okay, all right, We're done for the week. Everybody. Thank you all very much. Who called in tonight and who listened. Please tell your friends about Nightside. You can listen to any of the past hours this week on Nightside on demand dot com Easy forty minutes or so. Done for the night. Done for the week, Rob Brooks, thank you very much. Maria did a great job all week. We'll see you Monday. My name is Dan Rayo, Dogs, all cats, all pets go to Heaven. That's my pal Charlie Rayes, who passed fourteen years ago in February. That's all your pets were past. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. We'll see you again on Monday night on Nightside. Have a great weekend everyone, stay safe.