Speaker 1: It's nice eyes, Dan Ray, I'm showing you crazy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Oh it's always a great thank you mess. It's always a great idea to go to night set with Dan Ray. Noah is back in the control room tonight. Rob Brooks has another night off. I don't know, No, I don't know if Rob's ever coming back at this point. Noah's doing a fine job, but we'll have to see what happens tomorrow night. I don't know, No. Check your schedule anyway, Good evening, everybody, Welcome on end to a Monday night. For those of you who are keeping us track, and I know many of you inside prison walls, check off your calendar. It's now May twelfth, so that's one more day down to freedom. So for folks, if you're in there tonight and you're listening to Night Side, you know we're thinking about you. That's for sure. Get your time done and you'll be all set. Get out and get right with everyone. We have some interesting topics coming up tonight. I guarantee you that we're going to look at the Karen Retrout. I think it's going better for the prosecution this time than it did the first time. We'll talk with Boston defense attorney Phil Tracy. Then we're going to bring back one of our guests from last week, Adam viv Gunten. He's recovered drug outcut, attic overdose survivor, ted talk speaker and founder of Recovered on Purpose and Behavioral Health Partners. I'm going to talk about that, and then we're going to talk about a very interesting day on Wall Street today. Certainly anyone who had money in the market did okay today, all as a result of the Trump administration in China having a ninety day ceasefire, if you will, in the trade war, and hopefully the trade war will not be resumed. But before we get to those topics, we have four interesting guests this hour, and I want to start off with Joe Salvo. Joe has written a book, I Wiggled My Toes Hallelujah. Well, you know, most of us can wiggle our toes, but this was an unforeseen journey of recovery from brain surgery. Joe Salville, Welcome to Nightside. You were a high school teacher and you had a couple of stumbles, and you went to your doctor back in nineteen ninety nine, and you got some pretty frightening news. Tell us about it. First of all, welcome nightside, thanks for being here, and tell us about this journey which ends well, but well, you had some rough rough days back in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: I did. Thank you for having me on Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: It was over twenty six years ago. It was Mach eleventh, nineteen ninety nine. I was a computer teacher at Kennedy Middle School in Wallbam and just walking down the hall, I tripped, but I looked down and there was nothing to trip over. Later in the day, I was reaching for a book in the top shelf of the closet and it felt as if something was squeezing my arm. I left school it was a little concerned. The next day I came back and I was walking up the stairs and I fell. I said, there's something wrong, So I called my primary care doctor. He had me come into his office the next day and he ran some neurological tests. He then said, you have to get an MRI. So the following day I went and I got an MRI, and the radiologist after the MRI showed me this skin and he said, do you see that big black thing there? He said, that's a tumor. I had a massive brain tumor which had to be surgically removed. I said, can we dissolve it is that's the only thing we can do.
Speaker 2: I had no idea. Yeah, well, you were lucky in that you found a great surgeon. It wasn't easy. It isn't easy, and I know there's a little bit of a story there, but I but I just want to go to the surgery. You were warned by this great surgeon that nothing was guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, nothing tell us about that. Well, the neurology just told me that I had to have major, major surgery first off, But he said he had the best neurosurgeon in the world, doctor Peter Black. He was actually the neurosurgeon in chief of Brigham and Women's Dana Fiber and the Children's Hospital. The radiologist had called him, but unfortunately he was out of the country.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to go into all of those specifics because there was there was some good fortune here. But you eventually found your way back. You were your own best advocate, and that's part of the story. You found your way back to doctor Peter Black, who, by the way, is no longer doing this surgery. He's in he's retire, Yeah, retired. So but she got to doctor Black did the surgery, And what did they tell you when it was over.
Speaker 3: Well, it was a nerve damage. It was a twelve hour surgery. It started on March twenty fourth at four o'clock at night and it ended at four o'clock in the morning on twenty on Match twenty fifth.
Speaker 2: Survived the surgery, which is great, but there was a complication.
Speaker 3: Yes, he removed an orange sized tumor, which fortunately was encapsulated with minimal cancer. But because of the operation, the severity of the operation, there was nerve damage. So I was totally paralyzed on my left side and partially paralyzed on my right side. I spent five days at the Brigham Women's Hospital and then was transferred to Wingate at Brighton Rehab.
Speaker 2: Okay, So while you were there, and this is where the title of the book comes, I wriggled my toes hallelujah, and I'd just seen journey of recovery from brain surgery. So it took you three and a half weeks to regain some movement. How long before you then were able to walk without aid of a cane or a walk or how long did that struggle continue?
Speaker 3: Joe, Well, it was just three and a half weeks. I am wow.
Speaker 2: That's that's what is miraculous about it, because you would think, okay, so now you went back to teaching school, as I understand it, and you spent another ten years as a school teacher, and you're retired. And the point of the story, which which I think is so inspirational, is that here you are, twenty six years later, you're still upright. You know, if it's an amazing story, someone was looking out for you here. I don't know what you'd believe in or don't believe in, but you had someone in your corner. And you've gone on to live the second half I guess, second half of your life, your adult life, and you're you're doing fine, which is which is why I'm sure anybody who is facing a serious surgical procedure, particularly something of the magnitude that you underwent, would probably do well to get your book and read it. Because I don't want to say it was a miracle. You had a great doctor what you had, but you advocated for yourself. So I assume one of the lessons is to self advocate. Matter of fact, the doctor. The doctor wrote the forward for the book, right, yep, so you developed out of this horrific diagnosis and horrific experience of friendship as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, And he also told me that I was a miracle, he said, you know what, you really are, a miracle, he said, even though I did everything I could. He said, you shouldn't be walking like this, he said, And they told me that at the rehab home. Every person at the rehab home said that I will be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not.
Speaker 3: And I proved them wrong.
Speaker 2: You did prove them wrong. And I think it's important to say you're not superman. You're not someone with extraordinary physical powers. But you did what you had to do. You know, I have no idea how, and I'm sure I wouldn't because I'm not a surgeon. But did they ever say to you how this tumor had grown that large? And the first times that you had any sort of inkling of it that when you went to the doctor it was it had gotten to be that large.
Speaker 3: Doctor Black said, it probably was there for ten years, he said, But when it sits in your head. You don't notice it until you have an MRI, he said. But once it hit the nerve on which you controlled the left side of my body, he said, that's what caused all the problems, and that's when we were aware that something was wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, the book is I Wiggled My Toes Hallelujah. An Unforeseen Journey of Recovery from Brain Surgery by Joseph C. Salvo. Joe, how can what's the easiest way for people to get a copy of the book if they're so inclined.
Speaker 3: Well, it's on a number of websites. It's on Amazon, It's on Bonds and Noble Westbow Press. You can get a signed copy if you go on eBay. I signed a copy and send it out to you. Mail it out to you. Regular Women's also has it listed on their website under Neurosurgery because they said this will help people so exactly.
Speaker 2: But that's exactly the point I'm that, I'm that I'm trying to make Joe Salvo, I would say good luck to you, but you've had great luck, so continued good luck. Let's put it like that, continue good fortune. Appreciate you joining us tonight, and do say hello and congratulate. Doctor.
Speaker 3: Can I just give out my website and it'll be easy if you.
Speaker 2: Got to be quick, that'll be quick joke as a run out of time.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Joseph csalvo dot com.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Joseph C. Salvo s dot com. Get a sign book. Okay, great, thanks Joe Salvo. Congratulations.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, Dan, very welcome.
Speaker 2: We get back when we talk about places and names in Boston and beyond, very interesting. A woman who has it just shows you the ideas that people have that they can turn into books. We'll be back on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. This is WBZ in Boston. Bond to the iHeart App, and you can get the new and improved iHeart App, which we invite you to do and make WBZ your number one presets so you will always be just a finger tip away wherever you are on God's good green Earth, anywhere in the world, you can have us there a finger tip away. Get the new iHeart App. We'll be back on Nightside right after these messages.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio. It's night Side with Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well we all know I guess that New England and certainly Massachusetts has some funny names and funny stories. And with us is Amanda Rotundo. She's an author and former social scientist, and she has written about place names in Boston and beyond, a local woman writing with a little bit of I guess, a comical look at long forgotten Massachusetts and stories and characters. Amanda, I haven't heard the book yet. I apologize for that, but you're from writing, as I understand it. So let's start off with a couple of stories and let's get into this good evening. Welcome to night, sid.
Speaker 4: How are you hi there, I'm great, Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: So tell us, tell us about the book, tell us about some of the stories intrigue us on this one.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure.
Speaker 4: So the great thing about living in Massachusetts is we have so much amazing history. And what I learned writing this book is that the history I thought I knew there's actually a lot more to it. Everything from you know, we have a story out of Quinsey about John and Abigail Adams their journals from seventeen sixty four, which is the year they got married. They're writing in their journals and letters to each other, And it's the way you would think, you know, two twenty somethings of love would write back and forth to each other. Now you know, they're being kind of flirty and funny, and it's just so much fun to think about, you know, founding father types that way.
Speaker 2: Sure. Well, you know the funny thing about it is, when you think about it, they didn't have radio to listen to, there was no night side to listen to, there were no TV programs to watch, there were no professional sports that they could go to. So they had a lot of time in their hands. That's why they wrote so much, not just the adams Is, but everybody from that that era, if you will. So it's there's a lot of stuff that I'm sure you've been able to work into the book. So I understand that there's a whole bunch of stories. How did you did you just start out and put these together or did you somehow, you know, compile them over the years?
Speaker 5: Tell us?
Speaker 2: Tell us how you get to the idea of the book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I find the best things in life for me kind of come about in the weirdest ways, and this book is one of those.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: It started out a friend and I, you know, just talking about how ridiculous some of the some of the names are around here, and how you know, there's no but there's no way you can know how to pronounce them unless you are from here. And so I put together this little book that was just a little funny cartoons with mnemonics about how to pronounce some of the more difficult town names. And I ended up speaking to a publisher who really liked the idea about these, you know, these these hard to pronounce town names and how it was such a Massachusetts thing and they but they wanted a full book out of it, and I said, uh, yeah, okay, what's what's in this book? So it's it just give us a couple.
Speaker 2: Of the names that you find funny. But obviously we listened to all of the the radio commercials where people are mispronouncing names. Uh, that's sort of a sport around here. What were some of the names that you found funny?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean there's you know the classics Lemonster, Gloucester, Worcester.
Speaker 2: How else would you pronounce it? Way? How is it? How else would you pronounce lemonster? That's pretty pretty obvious, you know, Leo, Minster Ah.
Speaker 4: And then of course, you know, situate and and more of the Native American UH based names are really tough for people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: One that really surprised me because I never I'd never occurred to me that it was hard to pronounce was Lowell. I was driving with my daughter and and she looked up at a sign she said, Mom, are we going towards Lowell? And I, you know, screeched on the brakes.
Speaker 3: What did you say?
Speaker 5: And uh?
Speaker 4: And no, But you know, it's looks like two syllables and it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I guess, like I think that probably is any part of the country. What what is the toughest name do you think for people? You grew up in Connecticut, so you you have a little little bit of not a complete home court advantage, but you didn't move in here from Utah. Uh. What what's the weirdest of all the names in terms of pronunciation. I know people look at Worcester and they say, oh, Worcester and all of that, and they make fun about that. What's the time? What's the one that you think we really might should change the spelling off.
Speaker 4: The one that's the hardest for me is Coituate. I have to I really have to think about it every time I say it.
Speaker 2: Cochituate, Yeah, Okay, lake contituate, Okaly, you holy tase. You give us just some because I want people to the name of the book and his place names in Boston and beyond, tongue twisted town tales. I like a literation, Amanda, that's very clever. Give us the names you mentioned the Adams. Is that there's something we would learn about the Adams, is their their romantic side. Give us a couple of other people we would recognize besides the names of the towns that we would also learn learn about in your book.
Speaker 4: Sure, so, I think there's there's people that you would that you would recognize. For example, everyone knows the legend of Robin Hood, which is decidedly an English legend.
Speaker 5: Right not.
Speaker 2: Robin Hood's too easy to pronounce. He wouldn't live around here. Go ahead, He's in Sherwood Forrest.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, exactly.
Speaker 4: But it turns out the story of Robin Hood, when it came about in the fifteen hundreds in England, was about Robin Hood was just a plain old murderer. He just went around and killed aristocrats. And then there was this story about a guy named Tom Cook out of Marlborough, Matchusetts, and this story about him outsmarting the devil and then going on to steal from the rich and give to the poor. And he was born in seventeen thirty eight. So this story was started kicking around in like the late seventeen hundreds, and what ended up happening was as that was happening here in America, shortly after, the legend of Robin Hood in England started to shift where he instead of just going around and killing aristocrats, stole from the rich and gave to the poor. So the legend of Tom Cook from Marlborough actually influenced the legend of Robin Hood from England, which I think is really fascinating.
Speaker 2: Softened it a little bit, I guess, is that exactly? Yeah, The people who steal from the rich and give to the poor, guys like Bernie Sanders now only kidding. I don't know if you're Bernie Sanders fan of just having a little bit of fun with you, Amanda Rotando, where is the book available? I assume you can get it about it anywhere, but give what's the easiest way for people to get your book?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 4: So I mean It is available on all the biggies, Barz and Noble, Amazon, although I'm a huge fan of independently owned bookstores, so if you probably have one in your in your town, that's a great place to go get it. And if you go to my website, which is Amanda Rotundo dot com, you can buy it there and I can sign it for you. Or it makes a great gift. Father's Dave's coming up. It's a great dad book. I can I can sign it and send it out.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Amanda Rotundo and everybody in there's not a spell Amanda, but rotundo R ro t O, d O, r O t o and d o Amanda Rotundo pronounced as spelled. And thank you so much. Dot com. We got to put the dot com in there as well. Thanks Amanda, appreciate it very much.
Speaker 3: Take care, You're very welcome.
Speaker 2: All right, and we get back. We're going to talk about these darn gen Z employees. We've done this, these switts of stories a lot. I'm going to talk with a workplace expert and owner Paul Peters about why jen Z employees and some of them, by the way, I don't even well, they were only working because they're about twelve years old. These are the youngest. These are the people who were born somewhere around the time of I don't know, anywhere from nineteen ninety six to two twelve. So the oldest ones at this point are like twenty eight. They're the youngins, they're the tweens and the twenty somethings, and they apparently are not climbing the corporate ladder. We'll find out why right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio. It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to introduce you now to Paul Peters. Paul Peters to welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 6: You're doing great, damn thank you.
Speaker 2: Paul is a workplace expert and owner of a company called Covenant Case Management Services. We're going to try to answer the question I don't know if we can. If anybody can, it will be Paul. Why are so many gen Z employees electing not to climb the corporate ladder. It's called gen Z's conscious unbossing. Let me be very clear for our audience. The first gen Zer was born in nineteen ninety six, so the oldest gen Zer now is about twenty eight, the youngest gen Zers twenty twelve. They're only like twelve years old. So maybe there's some hope for the young gen z Heres. I don't know what's going on. Paul Peters, Well, I think.
Speaker 6: A lot of it, and thank you for letting me be on your show. I think a lot of it is I have three gen Zs my kids, so I kind of grew up in it. A lot of it is they have basically observed what it looks like to be in a boss mentality or a management management position, and they're like, it's really not worth the money that you're going to pay me for me to work extra to climb the corporate ladder with that from their standpoint, doesn't really reach what they're wanting, and so I think it's just they're basically rebellion, say that's not what I value in my life. I don't want that kind of success.
Speaker 2: So if hypothetically they were a minor league baseball player or a really good college football player and one of the coaches said to gen Zs, you know you could get better if you spend a little bit more time in the batting cage, or maybe you do work a little bit more in the weight room. These kids, these these kids are gonna say, nah, I don't need that. I mean, everybody has to work a little harder when they're young. I guess I'm a boomer. I've done nothing but work in my life. I don't understand that mentality. I truly don't. Is there a way to understand it.
Speaker 6: There is actually a boomer myself, So I totally understand. We grew up with a mentality. You know, if you want to succeed in life, you climb the corporate ladder, or you climb the ladder for leadership so that you can make more and more successful. They view success a little differently. Yes, they want the same amount of money that we all want, but they have a more creative approach. You know, most of these kids grew up in a very technological and then they can use their skills and technology to climb quote unquote the corporate leader without having to submit to the restrictions on an outdated management managerial style. So I think they've chosen I don't want to do that. It's not going to bring me the same sense of value and success that it brought to the baby winners or gen X.
Speaker 2: So okay, so the question then is where are they going to be twenty years from now.
Speaker 6: Well, to be honest with you, I think from a as an employer myself, I'm looking for people who fall in line with the culture that I have created. I think we need to be very creative in what we're offering to gen zs. If we can offer something that has the work life balance that they're looking for and provide a culture that is enticing for them, I think we can entice them to climb that ladder as long as it's within the what they're what they consider valuable. But I think they're going to be fine. I think they're they're basically trying to find their own way, and we have such a vast array of different types of work people can fit into that, you know, working remotely, coming out of the COVID environment. We have so many different opportunities for gen zs to be successful, you know, on entrepreneurial, in typical other jobs that are available out there as well.
Speaker 2: So it sounds to me that I'm as two boomers here. I'm sort of scoffing at them and say go for it, you know, do your own thing, you know, contemplate your navel or whatever, and and it'll all work out. It won't work out. I mean, you gotta now again. If you're not interested in climbing the corporate ladder, that's that's, I guess, a lifestyle, you know, And maybe I don't know. I don't understand it at all, To be honest with you, when I was in college, I work one summer cleaning toilets. Okay, it wasn't the most glamorous job that anyone had in that particular summer, but it's one of the jobs that I'm the proudest of, to be really honest with you, you know, no one, you know, gave me a summer internship where I could, you know, wear a suit and tie or a jacket and tie and and think great thoughts. You took whatever jobs were available if if you grew up in you know, I didn't have a better opportunity, to be really honest with you. I wasn't in any way, shape or form connected anyone. And when I think about what it just to me, it's it's a strange posture to have during that period of your life. When you don't have a lot of responsibility. Most of those kids are not married at that point. You know, this is the time when you should be able to work a couple of jobs and have a side hustle and all of that. But I guess they just they don't want that. They don't want that lifestyle. So it'll be interesting to see how it works out. Do you think you do think it's going to work out? Okay for that because some of them have technical expertise that maybe US boomers don't have, and we have to rely upon them more than that.
Speaker 3: I mean, and.
Speaker 6: Pret generation goes through the same challenge as the next one moves into a position of leadership. And like I said, I have three kids that I'm extremely proud of. Gen zs have done very well. You know, I think it really has every day too. And I'm I'm an advocate frementory. So if someone like myself, then like yourself, can take a gen Z mentor them and give a sense of revalue, give a sense of respect, but hold a higher standard. They're going to want to eventually. I don't want to say they're going to embrace everything we do as ady boomers, but they're going to embrace when they feel respected, valued and you appreciate what they're bringing to the table. Just because they're young, just because they don't think the way we do, doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have something valuable to contribute. And I think when they feel valued, they will provide the necessary input that's going to make them successful and you, me, myself as an employer, will be successful as well. I think it's just it's just giving a little to get some, but never compromise in your standard. And that's something I've never done with my company, as I've raised the standard, but I've made We brought in some cultural experts to really help us think in regards to the gen zs and the younger generation, how they think differently in the work environment. You know, like I said, we came off to COVID where work life balance was integrated and so whereas before, like you and I, we were just so used to going to work a certain time frames, clocking and clocking out. That is not today's world anymore. And so I think they're looking for I can do a lot more in less time, and if I'm doing it properly, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I got to tell you. You know, as a dad, I coached hockey, I coached a little league baseball, so I made time, and I was a TV reporter at the time, so I had a pretty full schedule. I like to think back to the you know, to what we call the Greatest generation, when most of them were eighteen and nineteen years old. Many of them were in a a in a ship off the coast of Normandy in June of nineteen forty four. I just don't I don't get it. I got to be honest with you this. I'm I'm old school man. I'm sorry, and I'm glad that there are good people like you around who are more open to their to their predilections. I guess that would be the word I would use here. I hope it works for gen Z.
Speaker 6: Some of it, it's out of necessity. You know, the younger generation are eventually going to be taken care of us, So if we don't pour into them a little bit so that they can make sure that we're taking care of and I think that's important. We just have to understand, like the previous generation has to understand a little bit about that next generation, we have to do the same and I think you're going to find there's a little bit more commonality than we think.
Speaker 2: I sure hope you're right. I sure hope I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced yet. Paul Peters, thanks very much. How could folks get in touch with you for any advice, guidance, support, give us, give us a website.
Speaker 6: Thank Yeah, they can find me on Paul Peters dot online.
Speaker 2: Paul Peters Dot online online. That I've never heard that that connection. Okay, that's pretty cool. Thanks, Paul, appreciate it very much. All right, thank you, Well, we get back. We will wrap it up. Some good news today. I think President Trump is about to sign or has signed, an executive order to cut prescription drug prices by thirty to eighty percent. We're going to talk with doctor Bill Hennessy. He's a billing integrity officer with a company called care Guide, a company that fiercely negotiates outrageous medical bills on behalf of patients. I like that. I think I'm going to like doctor Hennessy too. We'll be back on Nightside with this information right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio. You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Like to welcome doctor Bill Hennessy. He is a medical doctor. He is also the billing integrity Officer with care Guide, a company that fiercely negotiates outrageous medical bills on behalf of patients. Doctor Bill Hennessy, Welcome to nightside, Sir, how are you deceiving?
Speaker 5: Oh good evening, just here excited to talk to you about saving America money on healthcare.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's a good idea, no matter what party does it, whether it's Donald Trump, Joe Biden, or anyone else. So has the President signed this executive order or is it to be signed? Let me get that, Claire first.
Speaker 5: He signed it at nine a m. This morning, is my understanding?
Speaker 2: Okay? And according to the story, cut prescription drug prices by thirty to eighty percent. Explain to me how a president can do that unilatterally. I'm happy he can, But what he I assume he is cutting prices for Medicaid and Medicare, as the bulk purchaser of these products. Am I correct on that?
Speaker 5: Yes, he is part of the government. The single largest payer of healthcare in the US is Medicare. So if he, being the leader in the United States, is going to be looking out for our taxpayer dollar, he's to get best deal for our taxpayer dollar. There are drugs, especially for cancer, where we're being held as financial hostage, where they could be twenty thousand to a couple hundred thousand dollars a dose at major hospitals. But then if someone like me who knows where to go get them and go get them for ten thousand, fifteen thousand dollars, he wants to be able to do that for everybody. Okay, So when you.
Speaker 2: Say you're gonna when you say you're gonna go get them somewhere else, you're not talking about going to Mexico or Canada, I assume.
Speaker 5: All right, No, there's there's other ways to do it. But they're international sourcing is an industry term. This is an international sourcing. Okay.
Speaker 2: So what I want to understand, and again doctor, I mean to interrupt you, but you know so much more about this than I do. It's just important for me to to understand that and to help my audience understand it. If these drug companies were to say to the government, you know, look, we're not going to cut them thirty to eighty percent. It's great. I'm happy about it, don't get me wrong. But if they said we're only going to cut them, you know, fifty percent or whatever. Is this simply that our purchasing power is so great that we have the ability, through the office of the President, this particular president, to impose on the drug suppliers. Our determination is what these drugs should actually cost.
Speaker 5: I want you to look at it completely different. You're you're trying to use logic. You got to remember this is healthcare purchasing.
Speaker 2: And I do appreciate the compliment that I think it's a little bit. I want to listen carefully to what you say, proving that you know more about this idea.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: The United States, we have over three thousand I'm going to repeat over three thousand healthcare lobbyists. The health insurance industry, hospitals, and drug companies use these three thousand lobbyists to their advantage. That's case. They want to keep it the same, they want to keep the pricing fixed in the same And so where don't you have the three thousand US lobbyists? The answer is in other countries. So the excuse being given, Let's say that you know that a drug that costs ten thousand dollars a dose in the United States for cancer, you could get for five hundred dollars in England. It's the same drug made by the same company. I got it, I got you want, you want five hundred dollars. Now, why hasn't that drug for five hundred dollars? Why can't then England give it to the US? Okay, thus far the best to my understanding, in past administrations on both sides of the al but for decades FDA, the Food and Drug Administration, has been bought off in prior administrations with lobbying money. Excuse has been we are not going to let this happen. We're going to say that the quality of the drugs made in other countries, even if it's approved by the big US drug makers, is not of the same quality as if it was made here. Now, that's a bunch of BLARKI got so. Now, when the President of the United States today that would be Trump, signs an executive order that's a directive to other departments and agencies, including HHS, Health and Human Services, FDA, Food and Drug Administration to follow his directive, that now means doctor Martin McCarry of the Director of Health and of FDA.
Speaker 2: We have had doctor McCurry on this program, so I know exactly who he is.
Speaker 5: He's got he's got the two seeds, doesn't He's got care and common sense.
Speaker 2: He's a good guy, so smart. He ting to.
Speaker 5: Harvard first for undergrad I do believe, and then Hopkins for his residency, so he knows his multiple choice questions inside out and go to those kind of places and get those degrees. So so I do believe he is going to be in favor of affordable drugs for America. So instead of the FDA being a blocker, with doctor Marty leading the way, they're gonna say, yeah, let's go source these drugs. Buy the same companies from other countries, and if they get a better negotiated deal than we do in the United States, we're going to use their deal and bring them in here. Okay, that's all international sourcing.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me let me ask you a question. I want you to know I do. I probably know a little bit more about this than maybe I've led on. Uh. Late in the Biden administration, UH, there was a big announcement in which then President Biden said that his administration had negotiated the deal which was going to cut drug prices across the board substantially, and as a matter of fact, he lamented after the November election that the presidential candidate Democratic Party Vice President Harris did not emphasize that step taken by the Biden administration more emphatically. I'm assuming that this step by the Trump administration is a better step in terms of substance than what the Biden administration. This is a this is an improvement on what the Biden administration has done. Is that is that a fair conclusion for me to arrive at. Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's I want to give the Biden administration a couple kudos here too, because that's what I'm doing as well. Let's say, affordable access to care is not a political issue, it's a humankind issue. So there are about ten drugs, insulin being at the top where the Biden administration wanted better pricing and secured better pricing. The good news is they were common drugs and there's better pricing. The only thing I wish is it was for all drugs instead of picking on five or ten of them. Okay, but at least they're common drugs. The other great thing the Biden administration did in January this year before leaving was medical debt no longer adversely affects your credit, and whether you have fifty dollars in debt or five million dollars in debt, you can still go out and buy or release a car or something else.
Speaker 2: Let me if I could, Doctor, I just I have to be cognizant of our time. I got about thirty seconds left. What I'm just trying to understand is what the president, this president today, President Trump has signed that is a furtherance of what the Biden administration did. I just want to make sure that it's that I'm clear on that.
Speaker 5: I think it can be construed as that is taking a second step to making even more drugs more affordable. Good to America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, well summarized, doctor Bill Hennessy. If folks want to get in touch with you, how can they do that?
Speaker 5: Our website is CGA Saves dot com. Care guide advocates will save your money beforecare or aftercare.
Speaker 2: I'm going to write that down. I hope some of our listeners A Guide the Kids, c g A Saves.
Speaker 5: Saves dot Com and at the top. We have an I says, get care guide. We have our partners in the way that you can purchase us as, and we're partner with some drug savings companies so we can erase your hospital bills and your drug bills.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, We'll have you back. I enjoyed the conversation. It was it was fun. We'll talk to you.
Speaker 5: I agree, thank you for I'm invigorated, so I appreciate your interest.
Speaker 2: Right back at you.