Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start swamp watch. Swamp is horrible, so government doesn't work?
Speaker 3: Come man, make It's like a reality TV show.
Speaker 2: Was a bad noos, always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joe, A town hall too, clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 2: I have to watch it, malarkey, he said, drained the swamp. I said, oh, that's so he keepph.
Speaker 1: You know the thing. Well, Kamala Harris continues to enjoy a bounds in favorability when it comes to her ratings. There was an ABC News IPSOS poll released yesterday. It shows that her favorability rating has jumped to forty three percent, with an unfavorability rating of forty two percent.
Speaker 2: Oh well, the net of one. That's probably not awful.
Speaker 1: A week ago, though, her favorability rating was at thirty five, so she picked up eight percentage points in that regard.
Speaker 3: There was also a poll that came out from Wall Street Journal today. I heard somebody refer to what we do here we talk about polls, the polar coaster that.
Speaker 2: We're about to be on.
Speaker 1: No, we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: Okay, This race between Harris and Trump is tighter than it was than it was with Biden involved. The former president leads the current vice president forty nine to forty seven if it's just a two person matchup, again from the Wall Street Journal, that is within that margin of era of plus or minus three point one percentage points. Trump actually had a six point lead over Biden just before Biden got out of the race. If the ballot includes third party and independent candidates Robert Kennedy, Jill Stein, those people, Harris gets forty five percent, Trump gets forty four percent. In fact, Kennedy has got just four percent in that poll, and then five percent they say still undecided. So we I think all the pollsters know that this phase this week that we've seen is going to be a significant bump for her, specifically because of just the notoriety about it. That same Wall Street Journal poll says that eighty one percent of voters who support Kamala Harris say they are very enthusiastic to vote for her, compared to thirty seven percent who said they were enthusiastic to vote for Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: I'm still floored by this successful rollout, and I'm still floored that all the Democrats fell in line behind her. The organization, the cohesion is not something that I would have forecast for this candidate or this party. I I don't know if it's an illusion.
Speaker 2: I mean, because of course it's an illusion, because it almost does. I think you're right. It seems like it's a little bit.
Speaker 3: Too too pretty to be true, Like how do you get everyone within twenty four hours to commit to this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, every one.
Speaker 1: It's going to be quite interesting at the convention in Chicago. I still maintain that they are going to use this as their coming out party. All the Democrats, the big names that came forward and endorsed her right away. They want a big role, they want a national audience, they want to raise their profile, and they're going to use the convention to do it. Because everybody's now just running for twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: This But if she's the president.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's going to happen?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. I mean, my temperature has changed completely from when Biden was just circling the drain. Excuse me, that's not kind, but you know what I mean, it's just a figure of speech. When his candidacy, shall we say, was circling the drain, there was just very low. There was just no chance that Trump wasn't going to win. There's just no chance that he was not going to win. Right, the race was his, the presidency was his, and then all of a sudden, Biden drops out and the temperature changed by thirty degrees. I mean, she came out swinging. She sounded good, she sounded I mean again, the bar was very, very low with what we were getting from Biden. But even from her, even if you go, what if you look at her comments in the past has been word salid and she came out in her first remarks and she was succinct.
Speaker 3: She was on task. Part of it is teleprompter. I mean that makes a difference for her. I think she can do a very good points. She can deliver a teleprompter speech. But I wonder if this is a situation where yes, there's excitement behind it. But once we get to know her, or we I mean we in California have known her very well for the last two decades, but once the rest of the country, those independent, moderate voters, once they get to know her, is this something where they kind of like, well, I thought it was something different.
Speaker 1: It's like if you have a crush, get to know them and your crush will go away.
Speaker 3: Well, Sir Sarah Palin as an example, I mean, right, once we learned who she was, she was not the sharpest tool in the political shits not she was likable. And this is kind of what I landed on this weekend. Am I thinking about Kamala in her past week? Is I like her? She's likable to me right now.
Speaker 1: I do not agree with eighty percent of the things that she has said, though, when it comes to policies and the way she wants this country to move forward. I mean, she is more socialist than Bernie Sanders, and people don't and nobody knows that yet because of the optics. And she looks really pretty and she can talk about serious things very well with that smile, and she's going after Trump and I know his type and I'm the prosecutor, and it all sounds really great, But what is she going to mean for your life? That's what you need to start digging into stories that we are following the Park Fire. This is the big, huge one that's burning up in northern California, Butte Plumus Shasta in t Hama Counties the largest wildfire of the year by far, and now the seventh largest fire in state history. It's at three one hundred and sixty eight thousand acres right now, it's about twelve percent contained. They were able to get some more containment line around it over the weekend because things said cooled down at least a little bit. The Burrell Fire burning in Kern County tore through the little historic mining town of Havila. It started that fire start in the Kern River Canyon on Wednesday and then spread through that little town Friday night and took out almost every single building in the entire town. Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the Padres in San Diego with first pitch at six forty. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA and stream all the games NHD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA.
Speaker 3: So one of the big things that's going on today is that President Biden is making his way down to the LBJ Library in Austin, Texas. He's going to make an announcement regarding the Supreme Court. He wrote out a an op ed piece or somebody did put his name on it about the changes that he wants to see in the nation's highest court. The first thing that they it's a three point plan that he's got. He said, no immunity for crimes a former president commits in office. He said that the president's power is limited and that must ultimately reside with the people. So he's calling for a constitutional amendment that makes it clear that no president or anyone is above the law or immune from prosecution for crimes committed while in office. It would state, the amendment would that the Constitution does not confer any immunity from federal criminal indictment, trial, conviction, or sentencing by virtue of previously serving as president. Second thing is term limits for Supreme Court justices. I've seen the number eighteen years. They're talking about eighteen years for a term.
Speaker 1: Oh and no gifts, no trips. Yeah, in full disclosure, full transparency. The optics surrounding that Clarence Thomas stuff were horrific.
Speaker 3: That would be this binding code of conduct in the Supreme Court that supposedly we the people, through Congress, would be able to implement. Here was an opinion on this from a former assistant Deputy Attorney General guy named John Yuary.
Speaker 2: No, that's not it. This one that didn't sound like John. That wasn't John at all.
Speaker 4: Now Biden and Harris are going to say, oh, Congress, cham just pass it by statute. But really, if you want to be changing the term moments of justices of the Supreme Court, which in the Constitution are granted for life, I think you need to mend the constitution. That requires two thirds of the Congress and three quarters of the state legislatures. It takes years and years to get constitutional amendments through that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that I think is probably the biggest hill.
Speaker 3: There are people who say that these passed by Congress as laws would simply be unconstitutional. You can change the constitution, but that is a very slow, long process for a very good reason.
Speaker 1: So New Hampshire Governor Christian Unu yesterday dismissed Trump's claim that people won't have to vote anymore if they elect him as.
Speaker 2: As president. This was what Trump said Friday night, Christians, get out and vote, just this time, Justice time. You won't have to do it anymore. Four more years.
Speaker 4: You know what, It'll be fixed. It'll be fine to vote anymore, My beautiful Christians.
Speaker 2: I love you Christians. I'm a Christian.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 1: Get out. You gotta get out and vote.
Speaker 2: Chris and Martha Raddits asked Christian governor, what.
Speaker 1: The heck did he mean there?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think that was a classic trump ism, if you will, I think you're just trying to make the point.
Speaker 2: That this stuff can be fixed.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously it's we want everybody to vote in all elections.
Speaker 2: But I think he was just trying to make a hyperbolic.
Speaker 1: Point that it can be fixed as long as he gets back into office and all that.
Speaker 2: But you know, classic Trump right there. I love that line. Classic Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we don't know what he meant. Did he mean to say it? Did he stumble into that? And now it's caused controversy, So he's going to let it rye and people are saying, do you want to have a president where you have to translate everything that they're saying and what does it really mean? No?
Speaker 3: But I also don't want a president who sleeps? Uh, who sleeps twenty hours a day? Yeah, sound like a good job.
Speaker 2: We have a big announcement to make. Oh should I play the announcement music?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love announcement music. Usually we announced our NEWSI and Bruce, which were not but that's coming up later. But guys, guys, guys, we are going to bring you all of the craziness from the DNC. What's that smell?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right here, nine to one from the DNC in Chicago. You He will be broadcasting live from there every day, documenting the weirdness. Do we see an Anthony Weiener? Maybe? Do we milk that thing for eight years?
Speaker 3: Yes, we're not milking Anthony Weiener at all.
Speaker 1: No, we are not. But but that was an interview that we milked for a very long time.
Speaker 3: You could argue that our trajectory went up after that and his fell precipitous.
Speaker 1: It was just such a perfect moment because it was like, let me see your phone, what's on your phone? And the news broke like a week and a half later that he had more weird images of his son and his penis and he was sending it to people.
Speaker 2: It was just so great. It was and him taking a shot at me, Oh I just had.
Speaker 1: The best part was when he's like, oh no, I just have pictures of my son, and then he takes a shot like it's been a while since you've had a four year old running around your house. Like I'm like, I was like thirty five years old. What are you talking about? It's what's next for you? I mean, you've got to get back into somebody.
Speaker 2: We're going to miss.
Speaker 1: How do I possibly overcome anything bigger than KF I am six forty with with the Gary and Shannon Show. Now, well, yeah, I did yourself. That was his shot because he was like leaning back looking at the sign that's above us so that people could see where we're from, big salmon colored pants, and he just wanted to feed him something that wasn't Vegan. Sorry, Debra, you have a great figure, but men do not need to have a great figure like that. He was. He was so thin and like just kind of malnourished, and he did.
Speaker 3: This thing where I mean he was persona on Grada. Then this was before the pictures.
Speaker 1: Came, yeah, exactly, and nobody wanted to be around him, and he was literally walking around by himself, at the convention hall because.
Speaker 2: Everyone knew who he was.
Speaker 1: Everyone knew he.
Speaker 2: Was just a garbage human.
Speaker 1: But we just and the thing was we he he couldn't wait to get past us, like he couldn't wait. He's just looking over our shoulders at who else he might be able to talk to later on.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We had fun at those conventions.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 2: We talked to Lester Hoole.
Speaker 3: We talked to David Muir, We talked to Dan Dan Rather, We talked to uh and Antonio Vierragosa.
Speaker 1: We talked to John Bolton, talked to John Bolton, Jesse Jackson. Oh yeah, we we got it. We just will talk to anybody. It's probably not a great idea, no, all right.
Speaker 3: We will be doing our live coverage from Chicago the Democratic National.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking about this yesterday.
Speaker 1: You know, when we went to those conventions, this show was relatively new. We hadn't really found our footing. Now, I mean, look out, we are going to really embarrass some people.
Speaker 2: I think, I hope it's just not about ourselves.
Speaker 1: I was going to play Olympic music and I totally blew it. I didn't grab that Darius book fanfare and Phil Schuman's here and You're gonna be JV.
Speaker 3: Well, I was I was distracted by uh? By the was I distracted by Phil Schum?
Speaker 2: I may have been distracted?
Speaker 1: Or were you distracted by the size of the cheesecake? That is basically the size of your forehead?
Speaker 2: I can't wait, I cannot wait. I know, I can tell.
Speaker 1: Your face is telling You're a short book with big letters and short sentences.
Speaker 2: What is it.
Speaker 1: You are?
Speaker 2: What did I say?
Speaker 3: You're a book with big words, short sentences in a lot of pictures.
Speaker 1: There are no picturestures.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: No, all right, a short book. I don't remember what it was. It was really well said, though basically I'm a dumb human. That is telling email M L E. For two hundred dollars. A towering figure in nineteenth century engineering, this Frenchman was known as the Magician of Iron. Oh the Julius, I felt Gustave, I felt, I have to say Gustav. I don't know how you say it in French eifel. No, I know his first name, Gustav.
Speaker 2: Is it is that his name?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: But it could be pronounced differently, like Gustave.
Speaker 1: All right, I do not think this was a sexist remark that was made by this eurosport broadcaster commentator, Bob Ballard. He has been sent home for saying, you know what women are like hanging around doing their makeup?
Speaker 3: This was This hurts me. This hurts me because I agree with you on one point. It should not have caused him to be to be sent maybe an apology exactly, Oh, the.
Speaker 4: Women just finishing off. You know, women alike hang it around the make up.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so he says, no.
Speaker 4: What women are like hanging around and doing the makeup?
Speaker 3: You know what women are like hanging around doing the makeup, and the woman that's doing the play by play with him with a smile on her face.
Speaker 2: That's outrageous.
Speaker 3: Ball as I mentioned, are doing that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was dumb. That was a dumb thing to say.
Speaker 1: But as I mentioned at the top of the show, I watched the Simone Biles documentary on Netflix. Excellent, give it, give it a go, just two episodes. There's a lot of time when she's not being the number one gymnast in history where she is hanging around doing her makeup.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what That's a real statement.
Speaker 1: That is not an Outlanda's statement to make it's not rude, it's not putting them down, it's not saying. In fact, it's quite the opposite, isn't it. Are you insinuating that female athletes are not girly girls who like to do their makeup, because they are some of the most girly girls I know are the best athletes, some of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't know, it just it rubs me the wrong way that people are in an uproar over this and that the guy was sent home.
Speaker 3: I'm going to use what I call the Matt Damon rule here, which is, if someone says something that's legitimately sexist, yeah, it's probably time to take them off the air. Or if it rises to the level of actually offending somebody, even then there's got to be a little bit more meat to it than women do their makeup.
Speaker 1: One of my best friends played D one basketball and is the go to person for doing her makeup. I get all my advice from her. She helps me. She's like knows everything about the makeup. Why because when you're an athlete, you spend a lot of downtime, you have a lot of downtime. You have a lot of time when you're not practicing saying, and you're not working out, you're not in a gym, and you're at home, and there's really not a lot to do, and you got to look good if you're going to hit that three from the corner. You know, girls like makeup. Guys buy shoes. It's that kind of a thing. Guys buy shoes. Yeah, where did that come from? Male athletes are really big into the shoes.
Speaker 2: All right, I see that. Well, I mean you.
Speaker 1: Figured that that's one of the tools of the trade for a lot of the guys is the shoes, and that's it's a fashion shoes, not the shoes. I know that part, but I'm just saying that that problem. I mean, think of basketball players, that's a massive poor part of of their sport is that to have the right shoes on a bunch of stuff that's going on today at the Olympics, archery, canoe slalom, artistic gymnastics, judo sal that that event I think is uh, it's lost a little bit for me because I was watching some of the kayak stuff and they do it in such a sanitized concrete channel that it does not ring true to me. I mean they've there's nowhere in all of France that they could set up something on an actual river and do it that way.
Speaker 2: But what would be.
Speaker 1: Your sport aside from swimming? I know you were a professional, semi professional swimmer in high.
Speaker 2: School, semi. The only one who paid me was my coach.
Speaker 1: Why was your coach giving you money as a young boy?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You have some questionable relationships in your past, highly questionable.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a lot of money. What was what were you? What was the question? Again, what would my sport be?
Speaker 1: That question flew out the window as soon as I found out you were getting money from a grown man as a boy.
Speaker 2: I I don't know. I don't know artistic gymnastics, not at all.
Speaker 3: I like the trampoline. That's not even like a gymnastics thing. It's a guy on a trampoline. Is that a that's a real sport?
Speaker 2: Really? Yes? Oh you could do that.
Speaker 3: I could fall. I could do that and fall. But they you know, the skateboarding is this year, they break dancing. Haven't seen any of that yet. I watched table tennis the other day.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: Those guys are a lot of time on your hands.
Speaker 2: This weekend, my couch and I became very well acquainted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why don't you go down to the home depot get yourself something nice.
Speaker 2: I was going to the last time I did.
Speaker 3: I took my dog with me to get it out, try to socialize it a little bit, and a woman scolded.
Speaker 2: Me, you shouldn't have your dog out here. It's too hot. Wow, that's sexist. And I was like, she knows better than you because you're a man. She's more caring than I am.
Speaker 3: And they cannot swim in the Sane River again today concerns about water quality. They called off a portion of the Olympic triathlon training session for a second straight day. You know, they were even talking about potentially canceling the swim portion of the triathlon because they can't find a clean enough box water to do it in.
Speaker 2: How much money did he give you? And was it Ratetime.
Speaker 1: President Biden will roll out his package of Supreme Court reforms that will never happen today during a visit to Texas. Term limits for justices, new ethics rules among the key proposals, as we outline during Swamp Watch in an op ed this morning that was said to be written by Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: It said that no one is above the.
Speaker 3: Law, and again, I don't have a problem with that constitutional amendment that he was proposing, which was basically that a president cannot be cannot have limitless powers. A president would be subject to law as anybody else would as well.
Speaker 1: California Park fire up near the Chico Areas has spread to four counties. It is now the nation's largest active wildfire. It's burned about seven hundred thousand acres north of Sacramento.
Speaker 3: The Israeli military says it's holding nine soldiers for questioning following allegations of abuse of a detainee at a facility where Israel has held Palestinian prisoners ever since the war in Gaza started. Now the military did not disclose additional details about this alleged abuse. It said that its top legal official has started an investigation, but the Associated Press says that there are abysmal conditions inside the stay team and facility, the largest attention center in Israel. The military has generally denied any ill treatment of the detainees, but these soldiers, these nine soldiers that are now being held for questioning prompted an outcry among members of Israel's pretty far right government, and they're trying to figure out what they're going to do in response to a bombing attack in the Goal On Heights that killed twelve kids who were playing soccer.
Speaker 1: Well, the narrative has been that home prices rising, home price is out of reach, home prices have been the reason behind homelessness, that it's home prices that drive the massive numbers of homeless in California. When you drill down, and we have always drilled down here on KFI, you realize that it's more about treating people's mental illness and addictions. That should be kind of like a trias situation. What does each person need in terms of treatment? And it's not just taking somebody who's mentally ill and on drugs and throwing them in a free house, right.
Speaker 3: And it's not to say that there aren't people who can't afford homes. Of course there are, and there are people who find it. I mean, we actually heard from one last week when we were talking about it. Somebody left us a talkback message and said they have a pretty steady job, but they can't afford first last month's rent to get into an apartment to begin that safe transition so they're in their car.
Speaker 1: And there will be people like that, and that's why I say you've got a triage the situation. For the people that are not on drugs or addicted or have men illness problems, maybe that is the answer. Maybe that is what you do with those housing units. But for the people who are, you got to treat that first before you can put them in a free home.
Speaker 3: And the majority of the people we're going to see do have those addiction issues, the mental health issues.
Speaker 1: Well, now we have a new problem when it comes to homelessness. Now they're blaming outdated computer systems with being a speed bump.
Speaker 3: This report came from the ap Forty five thousand people are experiencing homelessness in La alone. Many of them need shelters. So they say deficiencies in technology like no online system of tracking the number of available shelter bits in La County makes it difficult for people to find places to sleep. The CTO for Better Angels United Chief Technology Officer says LA's technology as it described LA's technology as systems that don't talk to one another, lack of accurate data, nobody on the same page about what's real and isn't real?
Speaker 2: How does that change whether or not.
Speaker 3: Jimmy mcleather face over here is going to be getting a safe bed tonight.
Speaker 1: Could there be a more crooked name from a for a nonprofit than Better Angels United?
Speaker 2: That just reeks of crooked. Yeah, it's not good. They said.
Speaker 3: There's no uniform practice for caseworkers to turn from information into a central database. That that can lead to the loss of miss recorded or unrecorded information, especially when written down on a notepad or a phone, and then it could quickly become outdated with the delay between data collection and entry time. There is a homeless Management information system, the main federal data system said could be another bump of the road because it's difficult to navigate on a phone since it was designed as a desktop application, and that our local LA version of it doesn't even communicate with the federal system, so they have to re enter the data once again, and that opens the door for numerical mistakes that could make the difference between someone sleeping in a shelter out on the streets. Again, they don't show their work here necessarily. How some simple typos like this are going to exacerbate the homelessness problem. Homeless Services Authority in LA says that work is underway to create a database of twenty three thousand beds by the end of the year, hopes of improving how they use technology to address homelessness. Are a lot of those beds going unused every single night? Is that kind of seems to be the underlying current that they're trying to say here, is that out of the twenty three thousand beds, because they can't keep a very straight record of them, that they are not able to fill them all the time. Some people don't want to go to shelters. Some people are never going to want to go to shelters. This is their right and they love it and they want to live out there.
Speaker 2: I want to be free.
Speaker 3: They or they may not love it, but they certainly don't want to live by the rules that a shelter is going to impose upon them.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you missed our big news, it is this can I am Oh the music awesome. We are going to the DNC in Chicago. We are we are, We are going to bring you all the craziness firsthand every day from nine to one. That's what time the show is on right.
Speaker 2: Do we have to thank Darren for that?
Speaker 1: Are we thinking, Darren? Thank you, thank you, thank you, Darren. I don't think we needed to do that. I was a little overkill.
Speaker 2: It just likes to be around us.
Speaker 3: Yes, August nineteenth is when it starts there in Chicago, and we'll be going And as we did eight years ago, couldn't figure it out necessarily to go to the Republican Convention. But we've put our ducks in the correct order this time and we will be there in Chicago August nineteenth through the whatever the end of that week is.
Speaker 1: I love it when our ducks are in order. Where are we on getting that baby duck to into our foster program?
Speaker 2: I don't know how many of them are still well.
Speaker 1: Now we probably can't because we're gonna be out of town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta, you gotta. Jacob can watch him.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jacob, would you watch the baby duck?
Speaker 2: Well, when are we getting the baby penguin?
Speaker 1: We're not getting a penguin that was unrealistic, Wellether. We're not getting a duck that that that does not compute.
Speaker 2: Oh it makes sense now, that's the that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Huh, you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap