Speaker 1: This is Sham and I with the Mets and welcome to Bapflip's End Nerds.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Baplips and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with the Twist. I am your host this evening, Russ a Lisam and this evening, I am here with Darius. Darius, Welcome to your first part of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Isn't it It's been a while. Yeah, almost made it through the whole of January. Now you and John are just hogging the airtime. Russ can't get my way in.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's because me and John have been putting interviews for when we can actually do them. Sot everybody else.
Speaker 3: John did ask me about Kyle, to be fair, but I was on my way home at the time we were starting, so I thought it's probably probably not appropriate.
Speaker 2: Yes, and also joining me fresh off his hooded up traitors behavior that we saw last week. Rob navaras, how we doing.
Speaker 4: I still have the hood otherwise, Yeah, at the beginning of a cold. So if I do sound a little husky and sexy, you know, you're only human and it's down but that could be coming over.
Speaker 2: But yes, this week we're going to do a quick exercise what we'd like to call ins and outs or keepspin where we're going to just look through some things from twenty twenty four that we want to say goodbye to, something that we want to keep, and some things we expect to be new in twenty twenty five. But before we do that, I feel that there has been an important moment in baseball that we must discuss. I think we saw potentially the bat flip that had the highest hang time I've ever seen. I think it may have also got about sixty meters in the air. I'm talking about Junior Camenio's go ahead home run in the game seven of the lead home final Darius lead on Mental.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I mean I think anybody who hadn't seen anything from leudom before probably got flavor of what the experience is like. I think it was a pretty good advertisement for the game. Obviously, it sounds like some people are grumpy about this, you know, showing pictures up not behaving in the way that players are supposed to behave. But I mean, watch that and you don't think that's fantastic, then I guess maybe you don't like joy. I don't know, just a great time all around, wonderful battleflip? Is it a bat flip? At that point we have to call it something else when it reaches that altitude, a battle launch, that launch, Yeah, you know, terminal escaped the atmosphere. I don't know what we call it, but it was great and yeah, is a great time, a great way to fill the gap in the in between the multiple seasons. So I'm all for it. Well done, Junior Camenira and Rob.
Speaker 2: I feel that as this man may sup plan for the team that you are a fan of, this is only something that you can be more excited about to come from it. And congratulations Rob, you are muted to start the pod.
Speaker 4: Hey nice and profession around here. What I was is, yes, it's not his fault. However, forgive me if I'm not excited about the young Dominican phenom who's going to be playing middle infield for the Rays next year. Been burned before. Yeah, the guy's the guy's electric. It's fantastic. Barring something awful happening, He's going to be, you know, the next big flashy Ray to be to be dancing around the infield and doing special things for the race. I'm really excited about him. I think it's fantastic that he's he's showing off his spirit, and we were all fairly on a line on this podcast that we all kind of agree that that we would rather see people backflipping and showing you know, he had tears at the end of the end of the game because he really really meant it, He really really excited about it. He was really clearly in it. Now, maybe maybe there's going to be a bit of a bit of or the trap needs to calm down and get his head in the game properly. Maybe I'm sure there's a lot of that coming. But yeah, the guy's the guy's exciting, he's electric, he's the top prospect, and boy do we need it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's a high highlight for Raised fans. Is something that is probably needed right now, especially given Yes wander to not having the stadia to play and having to play in a mini Yankee stadium in Florida, which is probably would be full of Yankees fans.
Speaker 4: So yes, depressing, and you're making it more to prey.
Speaker 2: We'll come to that later, Okay. So, as I said briefly at the top of the show, we're going to talk about some wants and some believes from twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five. So we're going to start off with we've got two things each year that we want to bin from what happened in twenty twenty four. I'll start off as we'll go for this. I want to bin the kit issues. I don't want to be spending spring training go wondering. Kind of like whire is MLB and Nike and fan tracks seemingly made a product worse, like it was an absolute faux pa. Really, kind of like open gold blunder by everybody involved, making the lettering smaller, making the kits more see through, making the quality that the players got seemingly worse, and the quality that the fans could get seemingly worse. They just scored such an own goal. And I don't know if it's disappeared, but what I've seen from a few of the signings is that there does look to be better like lettering on those signing jerseys. But who knows what's to come. I'm assuming Rob, you were probably as furious as the rest of us with the kits last year.
Speaker 4: No, completely the opposite. Who doesn't want to see young attractive people's bodies which I could see it awful lot of I was lucky enough to go to San Francisco last year, visited San Francisco and Oakland. I saw some games there, and honestly, in person, that cream San Francisco Giants uniform was I mean, it looked bad on TV, but my god, when you were there looking at it, you could see details. Really, you could see details. I don't want to come over all make Rowley here, but like I could see actual details of you know, the bottom of people's people's jerseys tucked into their trousers and beyond, like well beyond you know, I shouldn't be able to see a lot of the stuff I should see. So if we could just get some trousers you can't see through the rest of it, I could probably deal with. But I mean that that would be a really big start.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that would be. So, then Darius, give us something to throw in our MLB Room one oh.
Speaker 3: One, there are room rue o one. Well, we've got so much trouble with room runner one already in the I'm.
Speaker 2: Not just talking about that things that happened in twenty twenty four. Let's not just throw cycles again. The fan base is.
Speaker 3: I'm going to throw something in that I already know is not going to be going in the bin, but ought to be going in the bin, and that is the San Francisco Giants having a different left fielder every single year. And for those who don't know, this is basically the curse of Barry Bonds. The Giants have not had the same player start in left field on opening Day since Barry Bonds was on the Giants, which, as many of you will know, was a pretty long time ago. You know, Barry Rons has been retired for the twenty years now, so this is a fast I'm actually you know what, I'm going to get the list you we can play remember some guys with San Francisco Giants left fielders. But yeah, it's side. The reason we know it's not going to happen this year is because Michael Conforto started in left field for the Giants on opening down last year. And obviously Michael Conforto has now signed with the Dodgers, so the Giants will once again, whoever it ends up being, have a different player in left field. And it's I mean, it's kind of I sort of don't want it to end. At some point. But also it's the damning indictment of the Giants organization that we literally can't get somebody to just stand at left field and be sort of semi competent for long enough to be at the starter for two consecutive years. So yeah, that's that's why I would like to get them in. But I'm gonna have to wait until twenty twenty six at least, and probably another twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like the that list is probably ridiculous. I think I could probably go back. I could maybe guess what Hanneger for the year before, and Jock Pederson maybe the year before that. But we we do.
Speaker 3: We'll do the whole list since since Bond's started in left field in two thousand and seven. Out for the third two thousand and seven. Here's the list. It's Dave Dave Roberts two thousand and eight, Bred Lewis two thousand and nine. We've got Mark de Rosa twenty ten, then Pat Burrell or half of course, Andres Torres, who remembers Andres Torris, good little fancy player for a moment there, Mike Morse Giants legend, Mike Morse, Noiaoki and help her gun We've got Jarrett Parker completely forgot Jarrett Parker even existed, Hunter Pence Pence not two years when he was in right field. Yeah, previously, Yeah, Connor Joe kicking around still, Alex Dickerson, Austin Slater, and then Jock Peterson, Blake Sable not even really a left fielder, you know, kind of a catch a utility guy, and then Michael Conforto. That's the list, the whole of shame, the Giants left fielders who have replaced.
Speaker 4: Who's likely to do this year?
Speaker 3: Who is likely to do this year? That's a good question. Yeah, yeah, I think I think he'll probably be Yazz because I'm assuming that Lee will be good to start instead of field, so it was Fan. Yeah, I don't sure what we have Elliott Ramos, Ramos, Yeah, maybe he has a playlet right, And either way, Ramos is a good shout because obviously there's like a decent chance. If it's Yazz, then he'll probably like be too old, We'll have cut him by next season, We'll get another guy. Ramos is twenty five, so there's hope.
Speaker 2: And remember that that might happen, and if he does that, he might have earned getting his home run ball back by doing something that breaking that curse?
Speaker 3: Are fingers crossed? Yeah? I mean like Ramos did play left field a decent chunk last season, So that's that's our best hope that that happens. And obviously that he actually is going to see looked for seconds of the last season. We'll see about that. You understanding my pessimism. So that can get in the bin, but it's not going to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that that the list of guys like that, there's some genuinely fine like yeah, we're not talking superstars, but some genuinely fine blokes on that list who there's there's really no reason why they couldn't have done a second year. What what's caused the curse? Is it injuries? Is it lack of wanting to keep, you know, keep good players around? What's what's happened?
Speaker 2: You won three World Series during that type period?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: So much, so much of a curse. Oh no, we've been cursed that we've won three World series during.
Speaker 3: Where is me is suffering Giants fan?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, Rob, what have we being? Good? Lord?
Speaker 4: I've got a litter written down here. Sorry, I was I was looking at past and present Giants then uh in particularly, he just caught my attention. I forgot he existed anyway, Moving on things to bin. Everyone getting along is horrible over the last I've done a bit of research. I've gone back and looked, and I felt that over the last year we've seen fewer and viewer fights an ejection. And now a lot of people, of course will say that we don't want people fighting because you know, make peace, not all. I for one, like it because it's something a bit different and there's always something to talk about at a bit of discourse. Something fancy happens when there's an ejection. So I went back and looked and tried to prove my point that there were in fact fewer ejections last year, and I was absolutely right. So going back to twenty fourteen, there's been a decided curve down. So we started at two hundred and one in ejections in twenty fourteen, and then we've got less and less and less and less. Then we had a blip in twenty nineteen where everyone seemed to want to fight each other for some reason, which was great, and then carried on that trajectory.
Speaker 2: Because just been out that one game between the pirates and the Reds.
Speaker 4: Yes, probably probably very very important part of that. Yeah, so we obviously have the blip of choice twenty and then we carried on it and then again twenty twenty three was a huge year of rejections, absolutely huge for reasons beyond me, I don't know. But then we've continued on that downslide again. We've got back on the curve and we are we are removing ejections from the game, which means there's less and less, you know, people getting in each other's grills, and we get more and more times where everyone's just getting on them. You know what, I don't care about that. It's sported, it's pugilistic. It's one person against another. That's what it's all about. So I want to see the everyone picking flowers, holding hands and singing come by heart, going into the bin, because I think we need more bites, more suspensions, more ejections.
Speaker 2: And more discal So you heard it here. First. Rob wants more head hunting. Darius head hunting just as well.
Speaker 3: People who think that we agree too much in this podcast, I'm going to pass on this tape. I would like no head hunting. Can we have zero rejections this season. I'm changing mine. That's one of mine. Now I want no ejections the whole season.
Speaker 4: And boom, Adrian Beltree got ejected for a very very very entertaining reason. I want more of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, only only joke ejections this season. We can agree on that, and now come on, Like, what's better than a manager arguing balls and strikes? He's come out, he's kicked the dirt across the ground, He's screaming in some guy's face. He's probably screaming, you know, like how's your wife? But you know he's having a shout.
Speaker 4: At the umpires. He gets tasty and the hats flying. You know, there's there's all the infielders stood around looking slightly embarrassed. Who doesn't want to see that? That's great? Needs to be getting hurt of all about it. Let's get people kicked out in games.
Speaker 3: It needs to be like Kyle Schwarber levels of demonstrative, like over the top, just very theatrical, because you know, especially if you're in the crowd, you can't really see that, well what's going on. You've really got to do the hand gestures and funny, go for it. Yeah, yeah, sure, I can just see.
Speaker 4: I've lost Aaron Boone getting ejected for something he didn't even say last year was one of my absolute eye He didn't say anything, and that was that was beautiful. It made beautiful audio, beautiful visuals. Who didn't love that? We all saw that. Did you watch, you know, the Royals play the Tigers for the seventh time of the season. No, you didn't, but you did watch that random game because you know that ridiculous ejection happened. So more of that, that's what we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm okay with coaches and manager rejections because they're usually just semi like performative anyway, just to kind of like to try and vile up the team more to do that. So that sort of stuff, I think that's sort of fine. Maye less player rejections, but who rather mascots.
Speaker 4: There's plenty more people you can eject, idiots who force some Lookie Bett's hand open, you know, let's kick people out of the stands. That's great, let's do all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need some accordion players in the Major league to get ejective. Have you've seen the video of that one where it's like some minor league or independent game where the organist player starts playing three brand mice and the uppire decides to eject the organ.
Speaker 4: I like that, but that in the in the in the description, I want to see that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to me for something to bin. We need to ben the current playoff rules for how to deal with tires because last year was a farce. That Mets versus Atlanta's brave second game was absolutely disgusting, utterly disrespectful to anybody else involved in this sport. There was no way in any shape or form of the Mets attempted in that game. They swung at absolutely everything. They swung at things that were outside of the zone. They swung more often outside of pitches in that single game than they did in any other game in Major League that year. Go look at the numbers. It's there. It is like it is the same level as I've put in our notes the Disgrace of Gujon, which some people will know and some people will not know. When West Germany won one nil against Austria and they both managed to get through at the plight of the Tunisian national team in the nineteen eighty two Rock Football Walk Cup, I honestly think people should have kicked up more of us about this. I think it was I genuinely think it was a disgrace to the sport. And it has come about because they we now have these tiebreaka rules where it's just about who plays against each other, and we don't get to have Game one sixty three anymore endorsed.
Speaker 4: If I'm going to play Devil's Advocate. I think the obvious reason we need to do this is because we have expanded the playoffs, and I was initially maybe a bit skeptical about that, but I think we're at a good level now because I think it does keep more fans entertained. But with those numbers, with an extra round of wild card games, if we have yet another round of games to sort these out, we're pushing it back even further into winter. And we've been lucky that most of these games have been played in either a dome or in Los Angeles. But you know, that New York series could have really stumbled into Paul weather. You know, we saw it a few years ago in Philadelphia, quite a few years ago now, where it was absolutely bloody, freezing. You know, we could get snow in some places. So I think I've I can't really tend to agree with you guys, but if you're gonna gonna play the counter there, we've got to we'd be more an uproar if we say, got a World Series in you know, Pittsburgh and Minnesota and it's under three foot of snow for the whole time, So we've got to get these games in, so you know, there's a way of doing it without having to to schedule a day off game another day off. I actually agree.
Speaker 2: For those players. I feel like it's tough ship. It's just like you've got to play another game, and if you've got to play another game the day afterwards, well you've got to do that if you've got to play another game. But they've got to play another game the same day and then play another game afterwards. Should have had a better record during this season, so you take all of the punishments that you get. Darius, what are you what are you putting in the bin for your second?
Speaker 3: What I am binning? Contrived home run celebrations? Just I don't mind if it's like something that emerges a bit organically and you know you can tell there's like a story behind it. Something that that happened spontaneously. That's that's cool. I'm not saying we can't have home run set. But now it's just like every team feels like they've got to come up with their own little home run celebration, and it's just not very interesting to me. You know, maybe there's like one or two novel two times that is entertaining, and then it gets boring. Some of them are just not even really good from the start. It's just like a thing they feel like they need to do now, a team spirit or whatever, which you don't find whatever you need to get through. Soelth through the hundred and sixty two game season, but I'm going to take a pass on on the vast majority of them. They're not really doing it.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 3: That weird sausage thing that Brewers had going last year was just disgusting. I'm not going going to describe it. You can just google Brewis sausage and see what happens to people. Just do that. So yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna pass. So let's see who comes up with the first stupid home run celebration that I can complain about on the pod.
Speaker 2: So obviously you're not a fan of the dong bong. What I want to say is that do you watch any NFL again.
Speaker 4: This podcast? Sorry? Carry on?
Speaker 2: Do you watch much American football? I think I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't really need there's no So.
Speaker 2: The minieset the Vikings, over the course of this season have been creating new celebrations weekly for if certain players score a touchdown, and they've been going through a selection of Disney Classic so they have been doing scenes from Camp Rock and from High School Musical. Would you be okay with these celebrations if it was like a different celebration every time, but it was more choreographed or is it the kind of repetitive nature of something that kind of just bordes you quickly.
Speaker 3: I think the repetitive is a big part of it. Yeah, I think maybe it would depend on the choreographing. I think that maybe would also get a bit dull after a while. It'd be quite funny to see some mob players having to do a choreograph routeam, especially if they were really grumpy about it. I might be into that if they were, like, you know, just like grizzled veterans being forced to do like a Glee style home run celebration dance that would make me laugh. But again, you could ask me a couple of weeks after they started and I'd be like, I'm bored of this now, so I want the variety. Really, it's definitely yeah. I can't imagine doing it in front of sixty two games and it's still being entertaining no matter what it is. Really, that's a hot.
Speaker 4: Take there that Darius is interested in the choreography. You know, we get Matthew Bourne in, we get some proper, you know, proper top notch ballet going on, we're in, but you know, he just doesn't want to see anybody flapping around.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to think, like, who is the funniest person who you who would be made to do a choreograph? Yeah? Yeah, making mad Magsie one like I can around, who's like the Brian mccanna of now, Like rules Police, I'm not having.
Speaker 2: This, Okay, Rob, give us our last thing from twenty twenty twenty four that we want to put into the bin.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty four into the beer deferrals. Let's get controversial, okay. So it's not for the reason that everyone else is going on about deferrals because I've had a lot of heard a lot of arguments saying, you know, it's bad for competitive balance, it's bad for the player, it's bad for the teams. I really couldn't care less who it's good for and who it's bad for. My issue with deferrals is it's just weird rich people shit. If I doubt either any of the three of us, if we could say, oh, yeah, I'm going to defer half of my wages now for the next ten years, bullshit. I'm on the streets, I'm not driving my car, I'm barely eating. It's weird people shit, And I don't want to have to know about it because it's just a different world and it's silly, like they do a job, pay for the job, go home, you know. And I really don't care if, oh, it's great for the players or oh it's great for the teams, I don't care. It's stupid, weird people, rich people shit, and I'm not interested in it. I would rather it just went away, purely because I don't like it. I want to go away, and I don't care who it's good for, who it's bad for. It's just weird and it needs to go. Just pay people for what they're doing now, and that is that also there's some clearly some there's going to be a scandal about some tax evasion bollocks coming out of in a few years time, whereby someone isn't actually you know that, Oh that's the whole point actually in the place with it. Of course it is, but but someone's going to get caught up on it, and then then the whole house of cards is going to come clapsing down. And I don't want that just course either it's with rich people problems and I am not interested in it, thank you very much. Can we just take it away? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that the two main sides of why it does exist is one so basically a player's contract can look bigger than it actually is. The Airey one is effectively partially done so he could get the biggest contract of all time, even though it absolutely wasn't. But it just makes it look like that. The other side to it, as he said, it's actually it's quite a bit about deferring the money to different times when you might not actually be living in areas or certain tax areas or more importantly, majorly, players get taxed every place that they go and play as well. So if you basically just defer this money to when you're not playing, you'll get paid that and not have to deal with doing your taxes in every single city that you go through. So I definitely think some of it is there to kind of keep the money out of other people's pockets. But I do get not wanting it because it's it's a fath to try and understand what it's going on. The only reason why I like having deferrals is because we don't end up with as much Bobby Vanilla day bollocks as we did before in the past, because everybody was just like, good, look at the Mets. They're still playing Bobby Vanilla, and it's like, yeah, it's actually that's good. Then restructuring their contract was actually a thing that they did that was smart. But everybody's just like, they're still playing Bobby Vanilla.
Speaker 3: Darius, any thoughts I agree with that statement. I don't know that there is always I feel like it's sort of a knee jerk reaction at this point. Somebody just posts something about Bobby Benir and it's like, let's laugh in the Mets. We don't need Bobby Benir to laugh at the Mets, do we like there's lots of material out there. Maybe not now they're signed one, so maybe the Mets will no longer be the figure of fun in MLB. But over the years there have been many, many more reasons to enough in the Mets than that, So yeah, I think that might be a good thing about it. I don't really care about deferrals. It's all weird. Everybody's got too much money. You just sort of have to not think about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's move on to something we actually would like to keep now, things that happened in twenty twenty four that we would like to see more of. I'm gonna start off with Brent Rooker's Twitter account. I absolutely love the fact that we have a major League player who is at a club that is effectively stopped player teams that will stop fans can communicating with the club because the official Twitter account blocked comments over a year ago. Now, but you still have basically their top player and probably now the face of that franchise for the next few years, being very active on Twitter, being very active telling people what it's actually like and telling people to shut up and listen to someone who actually knows the truth, and to me, that's awesome. More of it, please, more players doing the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brent's great honesty is great, do everything he shares what the game is great and I think he's probably got a very long career in whatever he wants to do in terms of broadcasting, podcasting, whatever whatever he would like, because he's got a great personality as well. So yeah, very entertaining and much more. Please.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a brain there, articular intelligent. You know you genuinely want to hear him talk. Yeah, good bloke, much much more. I completely agree. That is something we could do with more.
Speaker 2: Of Okay, Rob, what else can we do with more of.
Speaker 4: Tider gaps at the top of the divisions? That's something twenty twenty four had that we haven't had in a while. Again, I did some research. I pulled some numbers up. Look at me and against you two bring up numbers.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, Phil, it's pretty it is pretty on key for Rob to do research for the kind of the more feely vibes, the sort of parts agreed.
Speaker 4: Well, So, the average gap between first and second in each division over the last few years in twenty twenty one was six point four two. Twenty twenty two it was ten point five, twenty thirteen was eight point three, and then we've dropped away to five point five as the average gap between number one and two over twenty four. And it's a little bit death of the super team also a little bit the death of the absolutely dreadful teams other than the White Sox. You know, the likes of the A's are pulled the boot straps up a little bit. The Royals much much better. You know that we haven't had those dreadful teams and it's just made it more competitive. And there's arguments about not wanting to have a homogious middle, but a homogeneous middle is giving us better competitions. You know, every division was still in play in somewhere or other in the last week of twenty twenty four, So long way that continue because I don't want to go back to oh it's September. Therefore the AL West has completed, you know, long way the Padres keep pushing and catching up the Dodgers and the rest of that division. So yeah, I think I think we had a really competitive year at the top. Again, not everyone wanting to push as much as they can, it does have some downsides, but I think I prefer that to the boom and bust that we've had. We've seen since sort of COVID days of teams who are either brilliant or awful, and the homodgeous middle is given us better competition.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree, competition is great. I think you know what on of mine is sort of follows on from this later on. I think, probably slightly, but yeah, it's good when we have races late into the season, keeps things interesting. We don't really want to have to hear about how you know X division is boring or you know certain teams out spending everybody and making things uninteresting.
Speaker 4: You know that.
Speaker 3: I think that's overblown anyway, I'll probably come onto that later. But yeah, it was a good race. It was good playoffs, even though the Dodge is won. I think we had some very competitive races and blou series are around, so it's good for baseball, and he continues.
Speaker 2: Yes, it does, okay, Daris, what would you like to keep from twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: I would like more more Paul Skins. Basically, I want more elite rookie pitchers. I also want more Paul Skins to be fair, but especially Jackson job. I think we're going to get another one, another sort of you know, blow your socks off top of the rotation type startup performance, hoping for and possibly from Andrew Painter as well. Hasn't pitched in a couple of years. I don't know if people remember, but he was sort of on track to start the season in the Phillies rotation incredibly young age a couple of years ago, and then he needed TJ and ended up missing the last couple of years. So we'll see how they bring him along. But I think both of them have got your real front end talent, and I think this kind of stuff is also just great for baseball. When we have the young guys come out of nowhere and really show that their high end talent, it's really good. You know, we are living in an age where we don't have a ton of these sort of real number one starter as anymore. The old guard are fading away now, you know, Kersher and Verlander and shirts are not what they used to be. We haven't had a ton of guides coming through to really replace that. So I would like to see us get back those you know, appointment of viewing number one, three or four races that just kind of occupy that space, and I think, yeah, hopefully that job can do that for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it'll be awesome to I think the side always is we've now got skens going into that sophomore time period. Are we going to see the slump teams maybe worked out what do against him or not? But no joke and plaintish both fascinating. You'd love to either to get full seasons out of there, to get them in May, and having impact on teams that are going to make the rosters, going to make the post you that was the only thing that basically missing from stuff that he very much felt like an Otani where it's like, oh, he's amazing in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: I would question. Now this is a question to both of you. Pick a number. What percentage of Paul schemes do you think is the mustache? And what I mean is like, there's plenty of fantastic young pictures out there, like they're you know, and is no doubt his talent is good enough that he is it should be at the tip of everyone's tongue in the discussions. But the mustache does something. It's not just it's not just a neutral in there, like there is a percentage of this poor Schemes experience and why everyone loves Paul Skimes that is to do with the mustache. So what percentage of him is mustache and what percentage of him is everything else? Because I don't think it's zero.
Speaker 2: So I think if you're going to start this like logical argument, that you have to start at the most extreme end of and go start with Tom Sellek so effectively, like if we can basically say, for him, how much is it the mustache that gives us basically a high point to work from rob and then we can kind of bring ourselves down like is it is it too much to say it's like even like thirty forty percent of like what it is is.
Speaker 3: The mustache tom Selleck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I totally agree. I mean I don't think I'd even be able to pick him out of a lineup if he didn't have the mustache, and he certainly hasn't got any acting talent. Okay, so come out with Selic But I think Skins is probably less mustache. But I still don't think it's it's not a zero.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a zero. I still think it's a reasonable one, maybe in the teens or the early twenties percentage. I think there are other things to Skeins as well. Obviously his rookie nature which he had last year, which he will lose, so the mustache should be could could become more important. He does have a famous partner as well, and they'll be done, which I think is also part of the scheme Ran. But yeah, if you were to shave his mustache off and put him in the Yankees in stripes, would you would you? Would you recognize Paul Skins? Darius?
Speaker 3: I think so, just because at first I thought I was actually asking literally what percentage of Paul Skins's body, And I was like, well, tall, very much. It's not it's not quite the seleg you know. I don't think it occupies quite enough of his face that I would be confused when it disappeared. You know, some of these guys go to the Yankees and you're like, what, who was under there? Gret Garrett Cole having to shave to go into Yankees was as much made weird than Paul Skins would be. And he also hasn't been like we've had one season of pl Skins basically, so I've not like got, you know, a decade of with a Tash and grained into my memory. I'm sure it won't take that long for the Yankees to sign him. Obviously the Pirates won't extend him, but yeah, I think there would still be obviously that double take moment where you're like, what where's the Tash? Why I should have put this on my list? Why isn't that in the Yankees?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, we know, because it's just not going to change, Like there's there's like I'm waiting for, like the superstar that would be like basically tell them to jog on, but who knows, we're not going to get there. All right, We'll move on to the next thing that I would like to keep, And this is a very specific thing that is to me and a subset of fans of one specific team, But I would like Cleveland's bullpen to pitch the same as it did last year. There are not many times where you have four pitchers in the bullpen with e ras below two and a half. Last time I checked, it never happened before, and so it's obviously not going to happen again this season, which is why it is in my what I would like to want to keep. But it was pretty amazing to kind of like watch those guys go out like week in week out and ninety five percent of the time shut everybody down. And yes, I will give some credence to the fact that they faced mostly Ale centrals that were not particularly good, but we're still really exciting to watch. But his score that so most of those games were one or two run games, was very entertaining to watch.
Speaker 4: And I would like, I mean, yeah, given given the Raids have to play Cleveland at least four times a year, I'd rather they didn't. So I'm out on that one.
Speaker 3: Well, you're not going to get any arguments for me about relievers for us, so.
Speaker 2: Yes, as we're going on to something else, we'll I'll be talking about relievers where I think even Darius might be struggling. But okay, Rob, something else. The second thing that you would like to keep the.
Speaker 4: London games, please. They were bloody marvelous. Obviously absolutely obviously we're not getting them this year, but yeah, a lot, yeah, bloody marvelous. I had a little bit of a concern that that perhaps this year was the year that you know, everyone's sort of we've over the novelty. People aren't going to commit to as much. But you know what, I've probably had more fun this year than the previous years. So yeah, fantastic, long way to continue. Let's get them back because you know, I want to see the Rays play the Marlins because there's not many these coast teams left to come over. No, I'm sure they'll find someone better. But yes, absolutely, bring it back. We won it, we drank it in, We had fantastic time, you know, somewhere in between post traumatic stress and having the best time of your life due to levels of drinking. But yeah, brilliant, bring it back. Let's have more put it in my vain straight in.
Speaker 2: Yes, obviously we as far as we are aware, there is still we'll still the twenty twenty six game will go ahead. No details yet on who will be playing there. See the season afterwards is twenty twenty seven. Sadly is potentially I'm less likely that there will be a game because we'll probably just have the same thing we had with the last year. It might if there's any time in that being agreed to. We probably won't have a special game the year the first year of it because the lead time of organizing is too much two or three months in. But yeah, it's great fun. I don't think any of you can see otherwise, Darius, I think you were to have more of what four am kebab see up and ready for BP at ten am the next day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I had any kebabs. There was a McDonald's trip because I think it was literally the only place that was open.
Speaker 4: You've just forgotten them because you were mullered.
Speaker 2: And Brown that were having the kebabs. Then was that the previous year?
Speaker 3: That was Andy? The previous year there's you know, vegan kebab less less convenient. Yeah, that was the previous year that and I can't release that photo that's classified. There is there is photographic evidence for a m kebab from Andy Brown and Tom Bringle.
Speaker 4: I would say I wouldn't I wouldn't begrudge the Germans, or the Italians or the Czechs getting getting a game not instead, but as well as us in the next CBA, because I really fancy a Batlet's road trip. And you know, anyone who listens is welcome to come along as we'll have an absolutely amazing time in you know, the back end of some weird place in Germany or you know, essentially Prague. So yeah, let's do it. Let's you know, let's have the europe as well. There's more and more people. Let's bring it in. I'm looking forward to it now.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing, Darius, what's the final thing that we are going to keep from twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: I put down stolen base Mania, and I'm not sure whether it will continue to this level or not. I think, you know, we'll still be high because the rules have changed. But will we get you know, Ellie Dela Cruze's insane pace. He obviously tailed off towards the end of the season. Will Otani go wild now that it's back to pitching. I kind of doubt it. I just want some guys to just really go for it, you know, like take advantage of these rules. If Anie can try and get to one hundred, if somebody else we've seen that. If you want to go and you have that intend to see a lot of bases. You don't even need to be the fastest guy in the league. You can do it with good instincts and you know, picking the right moments. So I just kind of want people to keep pushing the envelope. I think it's better for the game to have more action on the base paths and whether they successful or not. So I would like to keep going the way it has been going. I'd like individual players to keep in those boundaries of what we might expect in terms of records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel that we need to find that player who's on an inconsequential team like Ellie to just go for it and kind.
Speaker 3: Of be like the white sock who's going to get six hundred and fifty Plight appearances and have absolutely no reason to do anything other than trying to steal a hundred bases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just like you knew how could that be. But I was also thinking, like then I was like, oh wait, CGA Brams. But then also he just did not really steal at a good rate last year, so just stopped. Yeah, he just kind of like we got caught quite a lot. So you were just kind of like, maybe do not continue, CJ because even the national may have worked out that I think it was close to like eighty percent, which in the current climate is be poor. So yes, no, that is awesome. Okay, let's now move on to what we believe is going to happen. So we're gonna talk about a couple of things that we believe will continue. These are not our wants anymore. These are things that we just believe. And then we'll have things that we new, things that we believe are going to happen. So I'll start off both of my continues are kind of pessimistic. But the White Sex are going to be bad. The White Sox are going to be the worst team in baseball. Also, the White Sox don't really look like they're going to get better because one of the key ways of getting better is getting a good draft pick, and they are a revenue sharing paying team, not providing or not taking, and they can't basically get a spot in the draft lottery a couple of years basically in a row. So even though basically they were the worst team in baseball last year, they're going to draft tenth in the next season, so they don't even get any of that benefit anymore. And I think to one of the things Rob was saying in his last point about there's no reason for teams to go for the bust really anymore. The draft lottery has done some things to kind of get rid of that. But this expected or some of the projected White Sox lineups I've seen, especially on the pitching side, are ugly. Like I think they potentially have one player on their pitching lineup that has more service time than the rest on the pitching lineup. So they have Martin Perez, who I think has about twelve years, and then there's only about three or four other people who have more. So I don't know, Darius if if you've gone into the weeds yet with the baseball prospective annual on the White Sox, But this doesn't look good.
Speaker 3: It's not a great team. You know, there's the odd little bit they still have Louise Rowett top he's to forget with how bad they were, but he does still exist. He's still on the team. We'll see how long for. And they do have some good prospects. You know that they arguably have the two best left handed pitching prospects in the miners in Noah shulzten Haggin Smith. So it's you know, it's not completely bare in the cupboard, but there's not a lot to look forward to here. And who is going to try and sell one hundred bases, is it, Mike Tappenman, I don't think so. At least he gets once a bit, I suppose, But yeah, it's it's going to be a season of hopefully, let's throw some things at the war and see what sticks, because last year it was let's try Robert Grossman in the outfield for six weeks for reasons that best known to the White Socks.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah, So you had an opportunity to do to do maybe what Boston to what Oakland did, which was just throw out all of your your young players and which ones do well. And I think they've kind of done well because of that, but throwing out multiple veterans who aren't good just felt like the India decision and they're dealing with the consequences in twenty twenty five. All right, Rob, give us something that you think will continue on from twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: I was going to say pictures of Andrew Vaughan looking sad and exhausted, But sure enough of those last year A postseason adverts are going to get more prominent, Like do not for a moment think that these things are going to stay in the post seeds, those horror roble helmet patches. I'm sure somebody liked them. I don't think many people did. All they're doing right now is they are getting us used to them in the postseason, and it will not be long until we start seeing them on regular jerseys. Like long is is you know, fine, maybe five years, maybe ten years, who knows, but it is absolutely coming. We will end up with football styles sponsors on shirts, you know, and then then the team naming rights will come as well. So it's going to continue. Those big, ugly helmet adverts. Be probably going to find there's a sleeve patch or something else. You know, we got the Betfread Tigers before we know it, the Funky Pigeon Yankees. You know, we could go on like the gazprom Braids, du X Dodgers. You know, I've got loads of these preparation h.
Speaker 3: Anymore, the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: To Dodge.
Speaker 3: Well, you want to have a word with the missus about that before before you make any decisions.
Speaker 2: Rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, that's that's coming. Yeah, I don't particularly want it, but I think yes we're I mean, not not the Durik dodging. That's that's a different story for elsewhere. But yes, the the the drive rope padres are a horrible thing coming in at you.
Speaker 2: So honestly, do you remember the name of the company that had the helmet sponsor?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was so how much of an impact it has? I think it was Strauss, wasn't it? Remember?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, because I thought it was Johann But it was nothing to do with that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and obviously that had a lot of impact on you, Rob. The only thing I think that's had I like the ones that I've remembered from the it was like the Capital One World Series or wasn't the World Series or maybe it was the Divisional Series. I remember we had the one that was obviously the one that we all remember is you got to build them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely got to build them.
Speaker 3: That was very effective advertising. I mean, although I haven't more related than they, but I've gone into building submarines, but I've probably told a lot more people to build them than That got me to.
Speaker 2: Go to billsubmarines dot com, which I tell you that a significant number of advertising has never made men even go to a website. That got me on to a website before I realized what it actually was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was a joke. You know, I didn't think it was going to be building submarines, so I had to go and find out what it was, because I assumed it was just going to be some obscure reference to something else.
Speaker 2: And on that note, Darius, what else is going to continue from twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: Well, my first one is Rob Manfred announcing stupid rule ideas to test them out to the market, because this seems to just be an annual occurrence. Now whatever it is pictures having to go six in the Golden at bat or whatever the hell he's calling it now, well, undoubtedly get some more of these where some idea that he doesn't particularly believe in. He just wants to do a bit of market testing, get thrown out there and get flung around. You know, all the talking heads will go at it. Everybody will say what it's for a couple of weeks, and then they we'll come out and say, well, we didn't want to do that anyway, that was a terrible idea. I don't believe in it. So I'm looking forward to the next one. Maybe we can this is this for as like a rob topic, you know, top ten stupid Rob Manfred suggestions that we're going to get this season. I think we could probably run with this at some point, but I'd rather not hear them from Manfred himself.
Speaker 2: Do you not think he's going to have too many other issues to deal with?
Speaker 3: Do you mean like the not Sacramento Athletics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And not to go into what I think somebody else's comment points is for later on, we'll move swiftly onwards. I'll tell you my other thing that I think is going to continue from into twenty twenty four. I'm going to tell you the Baltimore Orioles will not spend money. They're going to become the next Rays. They're not going to be like Houston. They're not going to be a team that gets in position and then spends the money to get them the free agent. They're going to try and trade away they're good prospects when they're out of cost control, or trade when they have too many prospects to get in some better players. They've basically taken a load of the front office from the Rays, and the new owner has said, oh, yes, I'll spend some money, but then has also come out this week and being like salary cap, Yes, please must must have a salary cap. So I'm sorry Boston fans, Boston fans, Baltimore fans, but yeah, your your team is. I don't think you're going to win because your own I don't think you're gonna spend money on that is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just don't really get it. Like I'm sure Michael Aas has got some lovely spreadsheet somewhere showing how great a job's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's just you know, just listen and as a as a pre pre pre insight into a podcast that you'll be coming after this one. John and I had a conversation with Zack Slott, who was the assistant GM at the Red Sox and was acting at the Mets, and he pretty much said that everybody has models, but you basically have to go over those models when buying free agents to actually sign players, because if you stick to your model, you will always basically buy because somebody will out you.
Speaker 4: It's not even the big splashes, is it. It's it's that they're not doing the middle bits, like they could have thrown a little bit of money at a few guys and they haven't done that. That's that's where it's Charlie Morton, Yeah, woa, there we go, I just drafted him.
Speaker 3: Actually, you hypocrite.
Speaker 2: I hope your fie ground to me yet. Roll. No, let's not talk about our fantasy drafts while we are podcasting, Rob. What is another thing from twenty twenty four that you believe is going to continue into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: It's doom and gloom. The A's and the Rays stadium issues are only going to get worse. They're going to continue down the awful sort of it's not even like a graph anymore. It's like someone falling downstairs holding something really expensive. It's that bad. The A's are gonna gonna not end up where they should be through sharing competence, and the Rays because they seemingly have this self destruct the late is there is they actually now they've they've told told the guys in in Tapa not not to fix the stadium, then actually do fix the stadium. But we're not sure actually if we actually even want to continue with the new stadium that you're gonna fund. So it's just an absolute cluster f It's awful and it's only gonna get worse that the next the next step is gonna be you know, the Yankees good will runs out and then along we'll have to play at the stadium for twenty twenty six. But oh, they haven't got a roof, you know, that's the next thing. God only knows what's gonna happen with the Aes, Like are they ever gonna get funding? Are these lawsuits from teachers gonna step in a way, Like are they gonna move to Las Vegas? Or do we just have a team in a minor league park in Sacramento for the foreseeable. It's not gonna get better in this next year. I think we're gonna see more, more of the same things, getting worse on worse, And it's bad for these bat it's bad for the ideas of expansion, which I think we'd all like to see. It's just gonna get worse this now. Maybe maybe twenty six twenty seven is where we'll start seeing some shoots again. But do not be fooled by the sound bites you hear this year. It is all getting worse for it.
Speaker 2: It's I don't disagree. I think the thing that I've said for a couple of years now is that I don't think they'll A's whatever make and I think that they will get the Washington National treatment or sorry, the Montreal expost treatment, as that the club will be taken away from them because they can't work out how to do anything, and some new owners will be put in place and they may eventually get to Las Vegas with them, but they could go with that, Darius. One other thing are we going to continue to see in twenty twenty four and twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: I alluded to this earlier, but I think we're going to see more handwringing about competitive balance because obviously the Dodgers have done this to us with Sasaki and being the latest in this long line of the Dodgers signing players because nobody else can signed players, everybody goes to the Dodgers. It really doesn't matter. People like we had this last year and the Dodgers flight, you know, limped into the postseason with this cobbled together rotation and like ended up winning series on Freddie Freeman's hobble Dan call, It's just it's not a thing in baseball, like you don't get juggernauts the way you do with other sports that are just inevitably going to win, even if they just do win one hundred and fifteen games, in the regular season. They'll still get bounced in the first round of the playoffs. That's just what baseball is like. So I don't think we need to worry about this. I think people can also complain when we don't have any super teams. It's nice to have a villain. I'm pretty excited to see this collection of talent assembled. Regrettably, half of them will be injured by mid season and they'll be like still relying on Clayton kersh Or to come back and pitch spinning on them. So I just do not think it's worth worrying about. And hey, if it I just do one one hundred and twenty games, that's also kind of fun, Like it would be exciting to see the record get in and we'd still have some competitive playoffs. So just do not worry about it. It doesn't Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think we talked a fair bit about that in the previous pod that I think it's a big hooha over nothink, And yeah, if there's anything more to worry about, then okay, new things. Let's talk about some brand spanking new things to finish this podcast off, things that we think are going to happen in twenty twenty five that did not happen in the past. Talking about the Dodgers, I think more people are going to try and copy them. I think a lot of people are going to try and have a come into this season with a six man rotation, which is also just code for we're gonna have too many arms ready to be available for the season, but we expect some, if not quite a few of them be injured by the time of the season actually starts or during this I think this is the new market inefficiency in baseball is that actually, you should be your il spots as efficiently as possible because guess what, there's no max on your IL spots during the season. You don't have to worry about your forty man or you're taking your players off. You can have as many injured players as you like, So why bother basically getting a player that might give you one hundred and eighty innings of four and a half innings baseball when you can get two guys that will give you ninety innings of two and a half era baseball. That's I think that's where baseball is going. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, most likely it's probably not a good thing. But that's been I think that's what the Dodgers have shown that they can't the successes from to what I think the Rays have shown in a few years as well. But actually, just having tons of arms is the way that you actually get a goods and a pitching out there. And I I've already seen three or four teams that have mentioned a six man rotation for twenty twenty five. Darius, is this on your radar as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see sort of the extent to which teams can manage it. I think the main obstacle might ultimately end up being how many live arms are left that teams actually think, yeah, we've got six of these guys we want to start. That might be the obstacle for a lot of teams because you look down the depth chat and you go, I don't think they've got five guys I want to start, So that would be the problem.
Speaker 2: Well, you're telling me the Diamondbacks are not going to run a six man rotation with Jordan Montgomery Jordan Montgomery as their sixth man, not.
Speaker 3: Unless Jordan Montgomery's had a great Officely, Yeah, that doesn't seem that likely. I guess you can you know, sort of tigers it up and try and piece things together with openers and ballpen arms and all sorts, But I think that's not really sustainable over a long term. You need a decent amount of luck to have that come together as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see more teams trying it this year, and I think probably for most of them, they'll find that they don't actually have the personnel to make it happen.
Speaker 4: I think the six man rotation is purely to keep the players happy pr internal pr If you've got five guys on your roster already who are like, Wow, these guys are a top level starters, and you've got another guy you want to pick up, you're not going to tell him, well, yeah, you're gonna be you big money. A're gonna be fighting the other five guys. No, we're gonna run a six man rotation. Nobody's going to run a six man rotation for more than a few weeks. It's when the first arm goes, then we're back to fight. And I think you'll find by come May everyone's back to a five man or fewer rotation. At the six man things is not a genuine just building.
Speaker 2: It, building him spraying management. Okay, Rob, what do you think will be new in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 4: I think new in twenty twenty five will be there'll be a one and done confusion about the shift new shift and or base running rules. So they've made some very minor tweets to the rules, and I think there's going to be just to clarify then. So the rule now is if anyone violates the shift rule where you've got to have two guys either side of second base and they're not had to be on the outfield dirt outfields on the infield dirt all that. Whereas it was an automatic ball I believe for violating that before, now it's going to be an awarded base much like a balk really or you know, catches interference where everyone's just going to move up one. So that one I do think it's too bad where we're going to get more confusion. I think is this new base running rule which I had to read a couple of times to fully understand, and now if I'm going to try and relay it, it's not gonna make any sense. But essentially people were told to overrun second base rather than sliding into second base, so if they got there, the third basement could get in home whilst and then the second basement is called out on the tag rather than being called out at second base. And so now they've changed it that you can't do that anymore, so that your third basement can't score on deliberately overrunning the second base. This is going to cause at some point a great big fight that no one quite understands what they're fighting about. One and done. It will happen, and then we'll all be online with it again. But I think at most people at this point won't even be aware of this rule having changed. And I think a team is going to fall afoul of it. There'll be a big scandal and that be that. But we're going to have some kind of discourse over this very minor rule which only affects very few teams, notably the Yankees who found this inefficiency and were deliberately overrunning second when there's two outs already. I didn't think I explained that rule very well. I'm not one hundred percent sure I fully understand it. I want no.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting one because it requires umpires to interpret behavior, which I think is something that you should never basically have. I think it's a wrong change, and I do believe you are right that there will be some confusion at some point, be it from a coach or a manager, or probably more from someone commentating on a game and not understanding why something has happened, which is usually the funnier side to the game, where it's like rule change, we all have no idea what is going on there is what's going to be new.
Speaker 3: I think we might actually get an official announcement of the challenge system, whether that's you know that we'll be using it next year. For those who don't know, they have been trying sort of the robot umpire but not full robot umpire in the miners, so the machine calls the balls and strikes, but players are allowed to use it to challenge the umpire school, rather than having it be the sort of overriding arbiter of all the balls and strikes. This seems to be the better way to operate it, based on all the feedback in the testing they've done so far, so I think after another season of doing that in the miners, we might be approaching a yeah, we're going to we're going to do this in the Major's announcement, and I'm all for I think this would be a good fusion of the technology and the existing system, and probably one announcement that Manfred will make that I won't get upset about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a highly unlikely scenario, a Manfred announcement that doesn't send shivers down your spines. It's all the pitch clock stuff has been good, So yeah, I still kind of.
Speaker 4: We said earlier the draft lottery worked as well, so you have some wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just copying your peers. That one dog gonna give him any credit for that one, and the other one is just enforcing a law that existed in the rule book anyway that you just chose not to enforce. So now, no no credit, no credit for either of those two as far as I'm for Rob, But yeah, I will generally be fully on board with this. I think there is an entertainment perspective to all of this as well. Of many of us here have watched tennis or cricket or whatever to have but I think tennis is very good with the moment of knowing whether something was ball or a strike, So I think this could add to the entertainment value of the game probably more on television than in the stadium, unless they kind of get it up on the big screen as well at the same time so everybody else can see what was what is going on. But yeah, I think it could have a very good entertaining perspective and just it just if we get rid of like the worst, like five of call, everything's just better. Although, hey, Daris, you're taking away the the Kyle Schwarber moment. If you kind of if you can challenge it, he's not going to get ejected. He's going to be like, well, maybe he's going to get ejected because he was like, I told you so, and then he'll get ejected. But being like.
Speaker 3: Challenging and the robot agrees with the human umpire and then he's like, well you're both wrong, and he loses it even more, just starts beating the machine the robot.
Speaker 2: There were reports that came out of like when this was first tested, like in Single A, they had ones where the players didn't know that it would be tested and they were arguing balls and strikes to the umpires when they were they were actually being done by the robot. There are some uppliers in the cingale that have basically been ripped into by players, and it was like, not my decision, bud, Okay. So the last thing that I'm going to boldly predict will happen in twenty twenty five is a bouncy you ball. Like I feel that we do not get consistency year on year. I don't know if this is just because we have more analytics available to us now than we ever did before. I very much imagine that the ability to making a more standardized ball is better now than it ever has been in the history of baseball. But we seem to go through variations year on year based on the batches and based on what seemed created. So we got a little bit of a maybe not a dead and ball last year, but it didn't seem to be coming off the back quite as much as in some of the previous I imagine someone has course corrected in the rulings laboratories wherever they may be. I think they're in like in Puerto Rico. And then we will have a bouncier ball in twenty twenty five. So we'll hail your home run king this year.
Speaker 3: I think one hundred hundred that's what we want.
Speaker 2: One hundred hundred is like, if you're talking about that, you've changed the Like I think I saw an interview with Kenny Lofton saying that, like you'd get a hundred solent bases in this current thing, and I'm like, no, because your team just wouldn't let you do it, Like and if you started to steal when they said no and you were getting caught, well you get dropped. Like the one hundred hundred is, let's get like sixty sixty first Darius hundred double, the double A Toney Ellie.
Speaker 3: Can do sixty sixty. It's fine with your You two Sporus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, flying find out that park Yeah, and Stacast home run Paul Park factor that stadium does. Okay, Rob, what is the last thing you think is going to be new to twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: White Sox Milkshot Milkshake arms Race. The White Sox Milkshake was probably the most famous and successful thing that happened in the South Side last year, and they had their great, big, fancy milkshake. And I reckon that our hipster friendly Bryce Harper doing TikTok's making coffee friendly crowd are gonna follow along. There's gonna be there's gonna be some sort of ridiculously overly priced, overly made version of a normal food stuff in every park that is going to challenge the White Socks milkshake for supremacy as the peak, the peak thing you can get in a ballpark. I think I think we got to weird stuff. We've been through weird stuff. We've been through cheap offers where you can you know, I managed to spend twenty dollars on a two dollars hot dog night once and regretted that. But you know, we've had the cheap We've had that. Now I think we're gonna go super super fancy, like really overspect stuff, you know. I think I think we've got that. Pass leaves some ideas that came up with. Maybe the Cardinals can have a mac and cheese made where there's an in house cow milked by Wade Miley. It goes into making the cheese for you and it takes bloody ages and costs you hundred quid to get this fancy mac and cheese. Or the Astros have a special orange juice which is freshly squeezed against the bin lid. The old classics are the best maybe do.
Speaker 2: You know they're no longer sponsored by Minute.
Speaker 4: Well, I know, yeah, and maybe the second the second best version of everything. But yes, I think there's gonna at arms race, and I think I think ridiculously hips three over priced, you know, and it's gonna be like a bowl of cereal that's got like one honey nut loop one, you know whatever. It's gonna be something strange and weird. But there's going to be like Pinnckley over engineered. Normal foods are going to become the new the new market. Inefficiency in Bullpark food and beverage amazing.
Speaker 2: I have no comments.
Speaker 3: My comment is that I'm very grateful that the words he said after mac and cheese weren't milk shape. Oh man, he's writing it down.
Speaker 2: All right. Darius finishes off for this podcast. What are we going to see twenty twenty five that we did not see?
Speaker 3: I am going to say that for the first time in well, if you don't count twenty twenty nine years, I believe the Houston Astros will not win the AL West. It's time for a new division winner. Others have come and tried and failed, blown it up. Jim Croan doesn't know what he's doing over there. They're you know, trading away Ryan Prestley, They're trading away Kyle Tucker. I think it's going to be a disaster.
Speaker 2: It's all.
Speaker 3: It's all burning down. The empire is in pieces, and I don't know who it's going to be. I'm just saying somebody else is the problem. That's the problem. That's why this is a bold prediction.
Speaker 4: I don't doubt that the Astros are going to fall off. It's who's actually going to be competent enough to pick up the pieces and overtake them is more the problem.
Speaker 2: Why Sir I did not mention the last week, but the Texas Rangers. This year shall be the year when this podcast is all in on the Rangers. We're gonna flip flop like the best Donald Trump. We're gonna be a year where the Rangers are bad and then the Rangers are good, and then you won't know which one. We're gonna say. No matter what happens.
Speaker 3: Jacob de Gron comeback Tour, it's all happening. Hey, maybe the Mariners will sign somebody. Okay, that's not going to happen. Maren is gonna win eighty five games with like the best rotation in baseball and the worst offriends.
Speaker 2: In baseball, Thank you, Darik.
Speaker 3: But eighty five games might be the Astros could happen.
Speaker 2: Could be the first one of the first teams to win with a blue five hundred record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is this is what Jerry has been waiting for, just the Astros to be this mediocre, to get anybody. Fifty four percent. That's all we need, baby percent. It's going to do it this year.
Speaker 2: Fifty four percent. And on that bombshell. Thank you both Darius and Rob for your glorious insights on what we want to keep, what we want to be in, what we want to see, and what we expect to see more of in the twenty twenty five baseball It has been a pleasure, as always, two chats with you, fine gentlemen. As always, you can find us at Backflips, Underscore Nerds on Twitter, slash x and Backflips and Nerds on many other social sites. We do now show these odd clips on YouTube as well, so if you have listened to this and would have liked to have watched and seen a few of our faces and cackles to some of the responses that has been done through These now are now available on our YouTube channel as well, so please do like, share and subscribe. Can we get those buzzwords in cheers boys,