Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services. In sure your most prized possession.
Speaker 2: Everybody, welcome to winning the ball. Hellbody, welcome to winning the ball. Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty, I'm Steve Rivera. In today with me is Tim Bentley, Tim hawarey.
Speaker 3: Very good, be ready to get going? Aren't you good?
Speaker 2: You're ready for fr if you what if you like fall?
Speaker 3: Steve, Tim, You're in charge. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yes, where'd you get that energy? Because because why did I want to take a nap?
Speaker 3: I feel bad? Thanks for having me back. I think the last time I was here, you were just getting ready to do the tour, and then it was a couple of holidays and some other stuff and I left. You have a basketball team I think was in the top ten. You have a football team, was getting ready to beat ASU at home, and here I am back, and man, it is taking a turn.
Speaker 2: I guess one of those could be true. There was what it was in the top and I don't think there was something that was ready to be there.
Speaker 4: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: We talked about it and we believed, we believed that that was going to happen. Who do you mean we me and Mon we believed.
Speaker 2: I believe for about I know the first drive, the first drive, and that was over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to turn it off.
Speaker 5: I saw the way that we're warming up to, and really I was just like, guys, you can see it, guys.
Speaker 2: I said it before we do, both of you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: They just didn't want to finish. They didn't want to play this season. They didn't want to play for that coach. That's for damn sure. Now, I think the validation for me saying that is everybody left hell with this. Well.
Speaker 3: I know we're going to talk about it later, man, but I'm glad to man. Let's just get to the end of this year and start fresh, you know with uh, you know, the the Big twelve games basketball, you know, maybe they can write the ship and NFL playoffs. Let's get going. Let's let's let's get rid of this.
Speaker 2: First things. First, got to take care of the Bruins. Yeah, yeah, I Don'm not I'm not too positive on that one. I think they could their tune half point favorites, which is kind of strange to me. It's it's a basket, right, But they they don't play well in that style. If you see how he continues to play the slow, slow, wish down style, there's one that can't play that because it's not good in the half court. It's never been good in the half court.
Speaker 3: Ever, it's it's not gonna happen. It's which which part playing playing well in a half court?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean at some point you got to say, Okay, we just suck at it, and even we could practice on it and they could do well in it. I'm not gonna say they're gonna lose yet, but guess who has to show up. They're shooters. Otherwise good luck, because they ain't gonna pound the ball inside.
Speaker 3: They they haven't been. I've been trying to watch. I've been watching them. They've been. They haven't even tried. I mean even the announcers are like, please get the ball inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The one thing too, is uh is previous has been kind of bad. I couldn't find the right word, but bad, good enough, kind of bad. You know, he hasn't been consistent, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: I know. I never're talking about later. I've been listening to the shows, and you've been you've been sing no it's I mean, I mean your target audience, man, your target are.
Speaker 2: You are my targets? Yeah, older gentleman with nothing to do.
Speaker 3: I heard Ray Flores, I heard Tom Danahy on the interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been fun. Yes, yeah, not because of me.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, so you're you're, you're, you got a little movement going. Yes, I had.
Speaker 2: I did college grove on. It was pretty fun. It was pretty fun. We had like a psycho psychologist, uh to sports. It was fun. I really enjoyed that. You you you know, this stuff, given that you were coaching and running is kind of bonkers with you know, themental toughness right. Oh, in the world, they would run place as well. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: It's a constant negotiation. You're constantly negotiating, and you're talking them into it. You're talking those kids. I got into it.
Speaker 2: I got tired watching Forrest Gump run ended up wherever he ended up. I guess that's the ners, all right, Yeah he did.
Speaker 3: He did run through flag Staff? Is that that a couple of times? Yeah? The Long Road ran through there. You know that force come scene where they where he makes the smiley face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, that's flag Staff. Yeah, that was in flat and poop happens. Yeah, that one the same thing, Yeah, just not spelled that way. Well, welcome, Welcome to a Friday show. We should have a pretty good one. We're gonna have Ben Bolsha, a long time La times as sports writer who covers the Bruins. He'll be in the first hour at three seventeen. Look forward to that. Ben's always good with us. And then in the second hour, a guy we all may or may not know, we cared to know, Jeff Jeff Jeff Jagan's awesome, uh, bringing him on to talk about his picks, but mostly to rant about the defections. And already know what he's gonna say. I don't want to be here, get him, hell, get him out of here?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: And and didn't Brennan say that if they want to be here, great, if they don't, well see you later. Yeah, yeah, she wished the best, wish you the best, right, So I guess he's wishing him the best A lot of wishes, right, Yes, everybody, It's like Tim, you you hadn't been caught up yet and you asked me who's transferring everybody?
Speaker 3: But Noah, right, you said, who isn't what you said to me, who is it?
Speaker 2: In fact to two days ago, I think it was Dave Silver, not you Wednesday, whoever helped me Wednesday, thanks for not transferring getting to the transfer portal, holding you guys because I need you guys. Transfer portal for radio shows. Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, When I was in college, they they went from twelve rounds in the NBA to two, and my friend and I we lamented the fact that we maybe we could have gone late in the twelfth round we were tracked weird runners up was maybe they'll pick us up. But now that there's only two rounds, so right, no transfer portal back then?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, everybody has high hopes. And then we're gonna have a new we as in terms of we as in the city, not me because I'm not part of them, a new offensive coordinator. I don't know if you have that for breaking news. They're gonna have the press covers at four thirty, are they. Yeah, I'm not sure we can do that live, but we'll talk more about it later. Pick I guess we'll have to talk about it right now. But they need help somehow.
Speaker 3: Listen, just you know, just shake things up a little bit, you know, maybe get some kids excited about something new and something fresh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's a relatively young coach, right right, former quarterback at Texas Tech. Yeah, they need you're right to stir it.
Speaker 3: Up, stir it up, something fresh, you know, get some kids excited. You know, I mean it's a fact of life now. You know, kids can transfer. It's like free agencies. So you know, you got to you know, Oregon a long time ago figured out, you know, they got to sell to these eighteen nineteen year old kids.
Speaker 2: And they did it with those with those uniforms, with.
Speaker 3: Their uniforms, and they jazzed it up and all that stuff, and kids were excited about it. And I just I think, you gotta you gotta sell your program to eighteen or twenty one.
Speaker 2: I hate that, not that I hate that. I must be old and just get off my lawn and don't bother me, text me, don't call me blah blah blah. Because we talked about that with a while back, Tim that you know, the uniforms, this is what they're looking for, the music, blah blah blah. And I'm thinking, just win because we talked about that with uniforms, right, I don't care what you look like, just give me the w do the eyon to look pretty good this year in their uniforms? Real good? How do you play real bad? They uniforms. Didn't give a crap. They oh they look really good. They're getting beat by thirty.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I know, but I but I think you do. That's so the new coaches and the new looks and the new styles, I mean, and recruiting, you know, almost recruiting your kids after every game. Yeah, you know, is hyping them out.
Speaker 2: I could not.
Speaker 3: Are you still coaching? I am not coaching high school sports.
Speaker 2: Oh that's kind of different though, Well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, talking to fifteen year olds is a lot different.
Speaker 2: There's still white eyed and they said yes, miss coach Bentley, Yes, yes, whatever you need from me.
Speaker 3: You would hope that they would do that. But you know, coaching high school kids, you know that have to be there. They're going to school. There's repercussions if they don't go to school.
Speaker 2: Oh what do you mean by have to?
Speaker 3: Well, you know they're in high school, so they you know, they're trying to graduate high school. I don't have to obviously, they don't have to be there, but you know, they have to go to I have to take a test, and you know, and and and as a coach, I used to I used to go and track on them and do all those things. And in college, you know, these kids now are getting grown ups. Grown ups are getting catered to. But you got to sell to them because these defections that we're seeing, you know, they can leave and it's yeah, you can put a good face on it and say, well, if you don't want to be here. But still, now he's got to go out and recruit a bunch of new kids.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, this is an issue that I think I've talked about before with Jay maybe and maybe you guys. Okay, so you give you a kid two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, okay, because he has his reputation and he isn't worth the money, you know, and you're thinking, what the hell I paid too much for this kid who's not doing what he's should be doing. I was going to kind of relate it to you because in your real world jobs, you've probably hired a person or two that you said, hmm, maybe he doesn't it well.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's when you go to your HR department or you you you know, then there's then there's work plans and thirty day work plan or ninety day work plans, and then sixty day check ins and thirty day you know warnings.
Speaker 2: Don't you think that's party what's going to I think.
Speaker 3: That's what's coming. Is you're gonna sign a contract that's either you know, it's it's gonna be you know, three three years, and there's there's benchmarks, and there's.
Speaker 2: If you if you don't do it nice knowing you right.
Speaker 3: I mean they could do that with with scholarships in the past, and so now with contracts, you know. But I also think I think Josh Passner said something about it last time, is it's going to even things out a little bit. It won't be such a free for all. It'll give some give some stability to programs and stability to coaches.
Speaker 2: I don't know this. You might know this one, and you might google this because I should know this. With the the pay rep you know, the twenty two million to twenty million that's on top of the nil is that in addition to I believe this revenue share. I think so okay, so they're gonna get money. So Tim sim Benley's gonna get uh whatever it is, you know, to five hundred thousand dollars just for showing up. And then on top of the any I nil you get in yours only crap, Tim Bentley.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna be rich.
Speaker 5: Schools can share up to twenty two million manually with their athletes, schools can choose how to distribute it, and schools can also pay athletes directly for their use their inn il use.
Speaker 2: Okay, so on top of that, on top of that, man, what a time to be living in America.
Speaker 3: I used to have to I've told you this. I used to get a three dollars per DM running college track, and I had to sign for it that I wasn't a professional.
Speaker 2: Nineteen forty five, you got a two dollar bill.
Speaker 3: I got a free pair of shoes, you know that I would wear for the season.
Speaker 2: And there were those small banana oh my.
Speaker 3: God, they were.
Speaker 2: Those were Nikes. Who those banana thin thingies?
Speaker 3: We used to get, Well, we would be I was we had a six shoes, we were sponsored by a six. And then sometimes if there was a really good runner, you could get their shoes, you know, they'd be Nikes.
Speaker 2: Not not the Fontaine.
Speaker 3: No, there was a kid named tom Ansberry here. Oh yeah, is that the guy? Yeah, no, no, no, cousin. This is because Tommy Ansbury went to Santaria High School. Was a great runner.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Fosbury was the flo.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, yeah, the flop guy. Fosbury is to get his shoes.
Speaker 3: I just thought that was the coolest thing. He was three four years older than me. He was a great runner. You've had great uh running track teams in the eighties. Coach Dave Murray.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. Is he still around? I need to get him a.
Speaker 3: Job, asked, Let's let's get him on every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I haven't talked to him in forever. You know, he was one of the great coaches.
Speaker 3: So you know NAU now is such a powerhouse and running up in Flagstaff that was you of a in the eighties for track men and women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, uh three eleven and got a couple more minutes to get a old man. We'll go about the three fourteen hours three fourteen Uh okay. Yeah, so back in the day. I like going back in the day because it was a much easier time and I didn't have to worry about bills my parents.
Speaker 3: I worked years ago. I worked at the it was called it was Cypers Serita Coppermine down by Green Valley. I worked there in the summers as a as a soil engineer, which meant that I basically shovel dirt. It's a great title. It's still on your resume totally, you know.
Speaker 6: But it was.
Speaker 3: I made like five fifteen hour when minimum wage was three twenty five or so. I was rich. I was really was living years nineteen eighty six, eighty five, eighty six, do not holdly fifty something, I'll be, I'll be. I just turned fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, it was wow, fifty fifty five to fifty for eight hours of work.
Speaker 3: For I would tell you I was rich. I bought a stereo. I thought I was a king. I was living like a kid. I got to a big speaker, no no, no, with the big like a like a console with the big speakers, and I moved that thing around with me for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you put them in a little blass.
Speaker 3: I paid like one hundred and eighty five dollars for that. Yeah, who's the shelby whose I don't know it was.
Speaker 2: It was it was what yeah, light and stuff, Yeah, the little U Digital thing Wiki.
Speaker 3: Why over there's going? What is happening? No, we didn't stream any thing. I had to go to the to the seers and buy it at the mall.
Speaker 2: You're not here to cause no trouble. You're just here to do the bentane shovel. Oh with that, we're going to take a break this goo I'm tired.
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 8: Yuki trye The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help You's like the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness dec the best you deserve. Arizona Health, the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: School and the False four season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation, or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items to choose froom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership.
Speaker 3: Paul Volpi is.
Speaker 12: Ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance, Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation.
Speaker 2: Visit voltpeteam dot com.
Speaker 12: That's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in a last three O eight seven Arizona K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got commitment to lendric syn credit rates and available loan programs or something to change th unmbice?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and.
Speaker 2: Trading card games.
Speaker 11: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score.
Speaker 2: You can borrow better with cheering them.
Speaker 9: For details or to apply online visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate Pyramid. Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender insured by NCUA.
Speaker 6: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 1: Today Streamy Live on the iHeartRadio WIP. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to join the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in the day with us Tim Bentley now on the Pune. We have been bulched from the La Times. Who covers UCLA men's basketball? Then? How are you doing?
Speaker 13: Just walking around lovely downtown Phoenix, enjoying the weather, and I'll looking forward to a good game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Great. Yeah, no, great, you know you covered uh Mick for a long time now, as long as he's been there. Uh, it's mine, it's my observation. I should say you have this good weird relationship with him because he's uh, prickly but not really prickly.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think good is the right word. I wouldn't say it was, you know, unusual in any way. I would say that was more of a Chip Kelly relationship. But yeah, no, we have a great relationship. I think he's open and honest, and I feel like I give them fair coverage and there's mutual respect going both ways. And you know, obviously I think I think he's done a tremendous job so far. And uh so, yeah, I agree that, you know, it's a good situation for both of us.
Speaker 2: He's he's I think he's miss not misidentified, but miss. This identifies my best word, I guess, because you know, he looked cranky. I know fans here give him grief, but he's he's at least in this. In the interviews I've seen with you, you because you're with him all the time, he's very like you see upfront and very candid and tells some good stories.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, I've been around a little while like you haven't. I would say that he's probably the most enjoyable coach I've ever covered. Just but he's so honest and fourth right and accessible and you know, tells you what he's thinking. And his team said played well and had success. So you put that combination together, it's pretty hard to top. So, yeah, you know, I've covered a lot of beats, a lot of teams, pro college, high school. I would I would put him at the very top of the coaches I've covered.
Speaker 2: I would never guess that, but good for you.
Speaker 3: That's good. Hey Ben, this is Tim Bentley. I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. I saw your piece on when you talk to him about the realignment of the Big twelve, and he didn't sound happy. I mean, tell me his mood when you were.
Speaker 13: Talking about re alignment, about any conference, right. I don't think he was talking about Big Twelve in particular, but you know, I think he's echoing the sentiment of a lot of people that this is you know, I don't know if greed is the word, but he's athletic, departments looking to kind of secure their futures. And uh, and so there's gonna be some some fallout and people who are not served the bestest part of this, and and and you know the student uh athletes, which which actually I think is a term we should get rid of. But you know, the athletes are the people who are going to suffer the most because they're going to do all this travel and all this strain.
Speaker 2: So he thinks that anybody who says that this is a benefit for them is full of it.
Speaker 13: So uh, and that goes for all conference re alignment.
Speaker 2: You how did you deal with the first year with football? Oh? It was great.
Speaker 13: Uh, you know, I went to Northwestern University, so so going back to the Big Ten, even though they didn't play the Wild Cuts, uh kind of a return for me.
Speaker 2: Uh, something I really kind of enjoyed to look forward to.
Speaker 13: But you know, I'll be honest, I did miss uh, you know, going up to play in Washington. I did kind of cheer up a little bit because it's like, wow, you know, all this history and tradition is going away, and obviously Washington's still part of the Big Ten, but you know, gonna miss some of these other schools, you know, coming coming into Arizona and other places.
Speaker 2: So it's a whole new world. Yeah, no question. Now let's get to the big game tomorrow. I would relatively state it's a big game. I don't know what is for Ucla, but it is for Arizona given the state that they're in at four and four, and they can't afford to lose many games moving forward because of the conference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I think it's equal.
Speaker 2: I think it's equally big for UCLA.
Speaker 13: I mean, obviously, you know, they they lost that first big test against New Mexico and everybody completely put them off the radar.
Speaker 3: It took this win.
Speaker 13: You know, they haven't really played a tough schedule like Arizona, so it took beating Oregon at Orgon to kind of remind everybody, hey, the Bruins are still here. They might be pretty good, and obviously they want to keep that going. So I think, you know, beating Arizona and what's you know, more more so of a home game for them than than the neutral site would be another step in the right direction. In Ucla, they obviously want to get you know, a top four seed in the West, and if they want to do that.
Speaker 2: This is one of the games they're going to need to win if it was tim real quick. So with your unbiased eye, are they a pretty good team?
Speaker 3: I think they are.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 13: I think it's the deepest team coach Cornin has. I think the two issues I see right now they need a lot more out of the five position. They need more development from a Daimarra and William call the third because they've been playing Tyler Billadeau out of position at the five.
Speaker 2: I don't think they can do that all season.
Speaker 13: And then the other thing is they need a couple of guys to kind of step up more so to expectations. The two guys I would say there are Kobe Johnson from SC who has not lived up to the h mccarnell was tunting him as a national defensive player that you're candidate.
Speaker 2: He hasn't really done that.
Speaker 13: Uh. And then Sky Clark, who uh, you know mccronell loves because he's been very active defensively and doesn't turn over the ball, but he's not creating any sort of offense. He's gone from leading Louisville scoring to averaging I think around five points. So he needs to make some shots, and if him and Kobe Johns can get going, I think the Bruins will be tough to.
Speaker 3: Be Yeah, yeah, I was just gonna ask it, you know, coming into u of a packed twelve old rivalries. But you know, what's the word on the street. You're talking to the coach and the team, who on the U of a roster gives us HeLa a headache in your mind?
Speaker 13: Well, I mean, well, I'll never forget Caleb Love, right, but more so for what he did in tar Hill, Jersey. I mean, that was the most insane sequence of two minutes I've ever seen in basketball where I don't know if you guys watch this game, but in the twenty twenty two and say tournament UCL He's up three and playing fantastic. Caleb Love shoots a three, It misses, the ball bounces within a half inch of going out of bounds. Armando Baycott, the big man for the Tar Hills, saves it over his shoulder back to Love hits a three, hits another three, and that the tar Hills just roll from there. So that sequence will never die in the minds of the Bruins.
Speaker 2: In fact, coach.
Speaker 13: Coronin Asten this week also out as tough as losses. He said that one and then the Gonzaga. You know they they've actually had two buzzer beater against Gonzaga, but that the one that was banked in from from here half court. So, uh, you know, they're never gonna forget Caleb Love.
Speaker 2: I'll be interested to see.
Speaker 13: I'm assuming it'll be Dylan Andrews with the defensive assignment tomorrow, but you never can be sure.
Speaker 2: The one thing that I that I think Arizona's going to have trouble with, and then they've had trouble with all year. They can't go and transition teams have not allowed them to do what they do best or have done in the past. They're getting back and you see only was is a master at that uh through in this game at least because they know to get back for Arizona's transition. Do they still do that in terms of do they trying to not milk the clock but at least be more conservative with the time. Are you talking offensively defensively? Well? Both they If this game's in the sixties, Arizona's not going to win it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, the interesting thing that I'll be watching tomorrow is UCLA has tried to do more pressure this year, you know, some some full court and three quarters stuff, and to be honest, I haven't been that impressed with it. So to your point, Uh, you know, I I if I was making I might rain back on that a little bit and and you know, make sure you are back in cause of transition, because they had some problems in transitioning against Oregon, particularly late in the game that almost cost them the game. So you know, maybe maybe try a little bit early and see if you can do something, and if it's not working, just pull back, because I do think that's gonna be a key to the game.
Speaker 2: And he mentioned it as well. Yeah, let me ask you to Uh. You and I have seen probably more games with ucl in Arizona throughout the years.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's kind of comforting that they're going to continue this. That kind of it is I'm trying to be stupid with it. It's gonna it's nice to continuing with it because it's obviously the best rivalry in the West.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm gonna be seeing I'll be interested to see what kind of the atmosphere it's gonna be tomorrow. Obviously it's gonna be pro Arizona in a heavy way. But you know, there was some concerns. I don't think Ucla from the UCLA perspective, they wanted to contend to as a home at home just because you know, so some parents had some concerns about uh, you know, some harassment that was going on there in recent years at the Kale Center. So I was a little bit surprised they did it this early. I did think that if they were going to do it there were it would be neutral sight. I think we talked about this last time I came on. But kudos to both teams for getting this done as quickly as they did. I do think it will be fascinating seeing kind of surreal scene tomorrow for them to be playing in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, should be no, should be fun and it should be fun. I you know, I think that uh, to do a service for the fans. I think that you Steve, you're talking about the relationship and the and the rivalry for years and years. Uh, this just super serves the fans and super serves the players coming out of southern California. And you mentioned parents being angry, but it also gives parents an opportunity to come see their kids not too far away.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, and they certainly need that. I mean, I'm flying you know, Rutgers and and uh Penn State and and all these crazy trips. So that's that's a great point in fact, you know, most trips I'm connect, I'm going to connect somewhere, so to get quick flight. The Phoenix is a reminder of a of an easier, more gentle time.
Speaker 3: The good the buckle up. Man, it's gonna be a lot different, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: Right right, You're gonna age quickly. You and Bruce are gonna age quickly here next the next few years here. Good for you guys, though, uh you you? Is this team capabable of going deep in the n c DOAA tournament. They're gonna make it, obviously.
Speaker 13: But yeah, you know, I I maybe oversold them a little bit, uh before the season, I kind of said somewhere in the final four Sweet sixteen window, I still think that's possible.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 13: I'm a little bit you know, I have a little few more question marks than I did early in the year, or so, I should say, goring into the year. I do think they really got to get that five situation ironed out I think that's gonna be the key and Ked Dell. I haven't mentioned Dylan Andrews yet to you know, hit that game winner against Oregon. But he needs to be a lot more aggressive and looking for a shot and be more of the player we saw in the second half last year because he, to be honest, he really hasn't been that player. So they need him to re emerge. Get the five figured out, and I think they're in good shape.
Speaker 2: So what does this mean for a finish in the Big Ten? What do you mean, like, could they finish in the top three top four times? Oh?
Speaker 13: Oh, I'm sorry, Yeah, I thought you meant what is tomorrow's gamy?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 13: No, you know, I know I expect them to absolutely be in the top three in content for the Big ten. The thing I'm interested to see, you know. I tweeted this out a week or so ago. Obviously, Arizona has.
Speaker 2: The passion of the PAC twelve, or of what used to be the PAC twelve.
Speaker 13: U c l A, Oregon, Washington, USC had the four of the five worst attendances in the Big Ten so far. I think Northwestern is the one that would make keeping them from being four for four. But you know when they're going on the road to places like Nebraska, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: These places are you.
Speaker 13: Know, they have kind of similar passion areas. I don't know these are sold out arenas. Let's be honest. The PAC twelve outside of Arizona, Yeah, didn't really have.
Speaker 3: That on a night in a night out basis right.
Speaker 13: So I think that the road games are going to be a lot harder uh than than you U c. L A Is used to in the PAC twelve. So I'll be interesting to see how they responded that. Uh, you know, I think they're in their next their their next big ten road game is at Nebraska, uh with the player who was on us Tolay's roster last year at Burke will your tunsil. So I'm interested to see, uh they responded that, because I know that you know, they fill up that place as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, right, I think we're going to see a lot of that. These you're playing against a kid you played that was on your team last year, you know, yeah, get transferred into the school, you know. But but do you think that maybe you know, these tough games, you know, early on, maybe they're they're closed. They lose a few by a bucket or two that'll help them in the tournament. Don't you think.
Speaker 13: They refocuses then, because uh, you know, uh that you know, usually I listen to New Mexico. Even though at the time people were devastated, I think that was a great focusing loss. They've been a completely different team since then. They got their attention. All these transfers, realized they had a lot of bad habits to break, got to play mccronain defense, got to be intense from start to finish, and they've they've really done that since they won all seven games, So you know, they obviously want to keep that going tomorrow. They cannot, you know, backsliding. It's a very good Wildcats team that mccarnan says is absolutely a top twenty five team. So I think they've got their full attention and we'll see if they can keep it going tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Right, So you said second or third in the Big Ten for Arizona. They were picked fourth or fifth. Now I don't even know about that because they've struggled so much. This is easily the worst defensive team I've seen in a long time on a number of levels. The transition game. We've already talked to the up and down of Cable, the glove and the backcourt's been crazy. So give me a quick prediction. I'm not leaning either way yet, but I think in my mind UCLA has everything on their side right now.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, I'll give a prediction of the caveat. I think that if you see it plays the brand of basketball I did against Oregon, it wins this game in the five to ten point range, but that there's no given that that's going to happen, right, And obviously as presents different challenges. Maybe Caleb Love will going a heater and right, you know, six or seven threes. You just never know, right, But I think, you know, if if I had to look at it on paper right now.
Speaker 2: Things are trending in UCLA's direction.
Speaker 13: Obviously, Arizona's very is there probably gonna come in as the hunk for your team.
Speaker 3: They will have the.
Speaker 13: Home court as well, and you can't under estimate that. So, you know, you could kind of look at this as a coin flip game. But I do think if you say plays it's brand of defense that it's gotten to, I think they, you know, could win this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike Cavitos, they have to play the best game of the year so far through eight, we already know they can be conecious. That's enough of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a lot of those games too. I saw that on your schedule for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, then we'll see you up there tomorrow. Be safe, have fun to Phoenix. You will so thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Stick there great.
Speaker 2: A dude's really good at what he does.
Speaker 3: We have some time.
Speaker 2: We got three or four minutes. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh so, what's the phone number?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we got we maybe take a call and will help us out. We got about two minutes. We'll take a calls this Yeah, so we have fourteen minutes.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I my sense on Arizona is this is that you know, I was other than Duke. You know that they're gonna get up for big games. They're gonna this is gonna be on TV, all the things. They're gonna get up. These kids want to.
Speaker 2: Play, but they they've they haven't passed that mistesk.
Speaker 3: But I feel that's you don't even have a good sir. I do, But I'm wearing a baggy sweater, so you can't. Man, I hate you, you know, I I just have a sense that they step it up. I just I think, you know, isn't the homer in you?
Speaker 14: Not really?
Speaker 3: I went to Nau so I mean, come on, well, we know what your bread's but true, So I think they step it up a little bit. And he pointed out Love is gonna is. I think he has to show up. He wants wants to show up, but he you know, he wants to show that. You know that he rises up against them no matter when, if it's North Carolina or here, he plays well against the good team.
Speaker 2: Do you find his strains that he's not play well?
Speaker 3: Caleb?
Speaker 2: Do you find his strains that he's not playing well?
Speaker 13: Not?
Speaker 2: Really? What I did, I do find it. It's gonna continued struggle right now.
Speaker 5: I knew he was going to have games here and there where he goes and does Cardio on the court, but I didn't think it would be a continuous thing.
Speaker 2: And it's been continuous. Yeah, I wasn't. I was in what you being Cardio on the court. He's just out there running. Even that. I mean, I think, did you listen to the press comans yesterday with Tommy a little bit kind of how he's He didn't say lazy, but he's kind of like non committed to the defensive sides. And he was I don't want to put words in his mouth, but it was like that, you know, he's got to be ready all time. He kind of maybe takes plays off. Haven't we known that for a while. He kind of has that lack of ambition or something.
Speaker 5: And that's why I say it's not surprising, it's just the continuation.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering. I'm wondering if that that little thing that he talked about yesterday, with the ambition or even the appearance of no desire, is what the NBA people are telling him you and that's what's lacking because of the group that he has. He's the worst of the NBA potential, right, it's Briant and it's it's it's Jayden Bradley, it's k J. Lewis, and where's love Well. He's eighty fourth in the draft pick. This is the PAC ten player, the PAC twelve Player of the Year, and a pretty good player, but no one's talking about him. I wonder if that has something to do with him not being engaged. I wouldn't think so.
Speaker 5: I think he's so it's a little bit in just an overall slump right now. But you go, you one game of your hair, I'll go go with the next game. Two games, well, I should probably look at film.
Speaker 2: Three games.
Speaker 3: Now it's in your head.
Speaker 2: It's the Kyler Murray. You think I canna stop playing video game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Read the playbook, no pit, some shots hit some shots, And in fact, I asked, we're ready to go? Probably I asked them mule Bach, maybe Rhino on this, and they had varying answers. If as Arizona goes, so goes Caleb or vice versa. Yeah, I think so that's trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I mean I I and I think and I'm kind of hearing that that that Tommy's you know, saying these things publicly.
Speaker 2: That a little bit and well, wherever you're hearing that, I want to talk to them because it's pretty accurate.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's that's that's the plan. I mean, that's that's what's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which makes sense. Yeah, Okay, I need your sources. Give me some numbers. Hey, we're a journalist. We got to check their sources. I'm I have checked and it is okay, Tommy, get on, Tommy, can get them on the phone.
Speaker 3: Let's go to break first, all right.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years. Now take a look look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Lemanhundly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 3: And your life.
Speaker 4: We offer a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial lad available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen North Tempble or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousan five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, He's got his Eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Eyeing the Ball Hero Fox Sports, Fortunen Cooknee. I'm Steve Rivera and today is Tim Bentley one. I'm working in the machine here I call it. If you guys want to call please do five to two zero, four one, six, seventy four to forty. If you want to give us your opinion on what's going to happen tomorrow with the basketball game, that'd be great. I have Jay coming on the other side to talk about football and basketball as we move forward. But I wanted to talk to you guys. I don't know Tim. You might know this because you're history in town. So we know the situation with Brent right now right uh and the condition that the programs in a lot of people freaking out. Yeah, this guy's falling. Okay, So you've been in town for home.
Speaker 3: I moved here when I was a kid in the mid seventies. Okay, so you're well aware of the history.
Speaker 2: Are we give me the debacle level of these and give me the top debaccle in this time? Uh? Okay, So we have a football football yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, And actually that's a good that'll be the Mendoza lot. Okay. We got the Sling level, we have the Macovic level, we have the we have the Stoops level. But that was okay, step Tony Mason level and Bret Brendon level.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's on the verge of the Macovic level. I mean it could go horribly.
Speaker 2: Okay, But which is the which is let's go the worst?
Speaker 3: Is the top?
Speaker 2: Is that someone level? Which is the top? Which is the top disaster? Which is the poseidon nack of it? Really worse than something?
Speaker 3: Well I was I was working at TV back then, and I we got to we we did his shows and all that stuff, and and I just it wasn't the right fit. It was he had an eye on TV the whole time, and he had just come from TV. Yeah, and he had he didn't he didn't really want to be here, you know, it was probably a little bit of a payday and he was looking immediately looking back to ESPN or wherever he was trying to get on. But you know, someone you could probably make an argument for both, but I think those are one in one. A. Oh, you didn't mention Tony Mason night what was that nineteen seven, seventy nine eighty one, right before Larry Smith came in?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean didn't he beat Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But he's also put the team in probation.
Speaker 3: I mean it's probation. I mean, come on the way that you know you beat Notre Dame. Zen Dehos kicks a field goal. Tony Mason then says, I got to scoot on your own probation. Larry Smith comes in and then it's then you know, Chuck Sy returns one hundreds and shared thing and then we're back on it.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, doctor, how's the surgery? It went really well. How's the patient? Well, he passed away, Okay, but.
Speaker 3: I did a really good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm sure you've heard that joke. Yeah, the surgery was fantastic, but he's still, you know, passed away. What do you think the signor I know, you're just a kid, you were never born.
Speaker 5: It was rough to watch the someone eras just so much hope going into it, the little front runner for the Heisman Sports Illustrated cover and just from the first game.
Speaker 2: I'm not even mentioning rich Rod Rich Rod, because that was not a blip that point. I considered that to be successful in my yeah, yeah, over yeah, just the way it ended, it was just kind of strange. But people don't want to remember it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I I remember when they hired him. It felt like it was a big deal. Oh it was, I mean where it was like all right, you as ready to go name guy, right, and so that's you know, if that's a debacle, is that it didn't didn't turn.
Speaker 2: That you're talking Macavic is the worst one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just in terms of time, we think this a public perception and the way that people felt about the team at that time, you know, it could have been great and just he just he didn't really like Tucson.
Speaker 2: No, no, he was better than Tucson.
Speaker 3: You know, you didn't like it here, and I think people realize that right away. So, you know, someone I think maybe had intentions to you know.
Speaker 2: All these those sources you talked about in the last hour, they're going to tell you what the hell.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about? My text are blown up? What are you talking about? Get out of here.
Speaker 2: I'll never talk to This is deep throat. We're not talking to you ever. Again.
Speaker 3: Don't ever mention my name. No, but I don't you know I forty fifty years ago, Tony Mason. You know that's long as you know, people remember the good times like big wins.
Speaker 2: Just just then from one of our listeners, from one of you ain't beating Notre Dame under Larry Smith.
Speaker 3: Oh really, well, so could you change your tunes? Him? Tony Mason was the worst. Come on, let's get him out of here. God damn. But it's not a fifty year trajectory of just mediocrity.
Speaker 2: Well, for the old timers that listen to us, I know that you're out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody ever sixty five.
Speaker 2: It's right our right, our reel house of sile.
Speaker 3: Appliment with your doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, that box that comes and tells to you this age. If you want to call and give us your thoughts on who kind of put you on the heater? Is it someone? Is it who's the worst eater? Macavic? Someone?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Tony Mason, who.
Speaker 3: Knows someone stoops?
Speaker 2: Macovic Mason someone Macovic uh and Brennan. I mean, because we're people are saying this is this is me hard to get out of.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, none of those guys had this, you know, level of talent leaving every year. I mean you could you could hopefully you know what, do you know you can tell people that you're, hey, we're building talent. You got to give my talent two or three years to hit and now he's got you know, you got to get my talent. You know, two or three games, don't don't screw it up, you know, two or three games, and then they start looking ahead and people are like, so I think, you know it's going to be tough for fans because you're gonna expect immediate results. You know, Colorado pivoted quickly, you know a s U. I mean it's like you look at you look an hour and a half up north and you're like, hey, they did you know they did it? Why can't we? And is that a coach?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that an a d Okay?
Speaker 2: So, so I got another text from from our partner because Jason, who's that Tim Bentley guy? Literally Smith beat Notre Dame. Mason was not a disaster because he just jay about that and Ben Lindsay was the ultimate be He doesn't count because he's not.
Speaker 3: You know, that's just you remove him.
Speaker 2: No, but he's I guess he's the guy that we're going to compare with everybody. Well, he didn't Ben Lindsay the football program exactly. You know, he could have been into a verb got got lindsayed, right, right, okay, we'll see you said who Yeah, you think, I mean, I don't know enough about the Mason Era because it was a bad part of in eighty two and they know that. And Jay says, not so much.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: Someone to me was just he didn't give a crap. I mean he was. He made seven and a half million dollars to say goodbye. They gave him that. Uh, and he's you know, he didn't care. And then you all know the backstory right of things going off the field. It's just, you know, hell, good, good for you, good for you, pull off some Houdini act, got paid for it and see you later. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, like I said, one one A, I'll live in that one and one A, which is your one in one A which is Macavicans.
Speaker 2: And that's fair.
Speaker 3: I think that's fair. Kind of depends on which air broke your heart the most.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the look look good, play good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, uh you can see that with someone. He looked a little bit. He didn't look the heart.
Speaker 1: No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: He was hobbled sleeves, sweatpants and walked. That was just because he was injured. But yeah, he didn't look the part.
Speaker 3: Did jet jet did jed?
Speaker 2: He was he was your high school across country coach that looked like that was on the side. He was tennis. He didn't look at the traditional No, he looked more than someone Okay, okay, And and what about Brendon, What give you that appearance?
Speaker 5: And there's a there's a lay factor that I have to you one of those math for you know, that's a more issue with the lay. It's just different. And when you're losing games and point back of it in his suits.
Speaker 3: And his suits and you know, and his radio his radio shows that he did and we partnered with him on Channel nine, and he just he didn't like us at all.
Speaker 2: He had already gone beyond this. It was beneathid well, look at look at the people said this morning with Belichick that the job is beneath him. But he's there and he's going to do the job. But when you're the eight time Super Bowl champ, right, what are you doing? I mean, I have no criticism. Hey, you take the job. More power to you. With some people this morning say it's been easy. Why are you doing that? Compete people who compete, guess what they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he wants to coach. I think he wants to show that he could do it on all levels. You know, some of those most successful coaches you know, had success at all levels. You know, people say, well, he's not a Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy Johnson won in college and and the pros, you know, and a few of those people. So maybe he wants to do that, you know. Also here, maybe wants to set his kid up. You know, he wants to see well, I think that's that's part of it, you know, and he wants to do that. Maybe you know, he's given North Carolina a little bit of you know, some publicity, get some high profile kids. You know, you can turn we just said it three minutes ago. You can turn a program around in a year. Yeah, now, And so maybe he hits it big for a couple of years and then says, hey, I showed you I could do it. That's it. That's it.
Speaker 2: Is gonna have his prescommence with the new acc here in about thirty five minutes. You'll talk about it on the other side. But what's the Mendoza line for Brandon next year?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: If you if you gave him a year, what are your hopes if Desrat gave him another year? Okay, you got to go what at.
Speaker 3: Least all right, Look, I mean we can get through a bad year and we'll rationalize it probably come March when spring football comes around. But what it's got to be like seven games? Right, it's got to be seven?
Speaker 2: Six or seven?
Speaker 3: I mean six six is? I mean everybody gets to six now, right? I mean kind of with the number of games you play. I mean, is it seven or eight games? Oh?
Speaker 2: God, that's good?
Speaker 3: Seven seven, I think is the line. I think you gotta say, if no, seven, what Seeler?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean what's it cost to buy you out?
Speaker 2: Eight million?
Speaker 5: Probably?
Speaker 2: I really don't know the number, but they couldn't have forty eleven? Yep? So what do you think?
Speaker 3: Same?
Speaker 2: The line for him? Yeah is should be six?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 5: Seven is kind of one of those seasons where you get like a surprise upset win but gets you to a better Bowl. But I don't think anyone should be complaining about a six and six season.
Speaker 2: No, not after this year.
Speaker 3: Now, not after this year. But I think you know, at seven years, cements him six, he's still on thin ice.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, and then well guess what you have to do too? You have to sell that stadium with with with that person. You know, I'm not gonna rage them because I don't want to rage them. It's not my job. But they have to they have to sell seats in that stadium. You don't have to make it interesting, right, So selling tickets, that's part of it. That well, that's a big part of it. Yeah, you know, I mean it's you know, they're paying on a lot of money. But you know, a big part of it is is the outside revenue, you know, but in the seats buying drinks and food. And part of the reason why she came here or was hired here at a million per was was to to to fix the financial problem, right, And that's part of it. Got the people in the seats gotta have the buy tickets kind of have you know, by by whatever concessions and uh, and that's all part of it. If you can't do it, Jim, good to know you. It was nice to you know. We appreciate your time here.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. And uh, I'm sure here's your here's your party gifts.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've written a letter like that. We really appreciate what he meant to the program.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Have a nice day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you love his family.
Speaker 3: Your your stuff is in a box outside your office. Thank you very much. Leave now.
Speaker 2: No, hey come, I was part of that, one of those things, one of my jobs. You know, sure, I've been coming on Tuesday and says, you know, thanks, So we're moving to somewhere and you're not playing.
Speaker 3: Media is notorious for for walking you out. You know, we got a new gym coming in. Your stuff is in a box. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh, your servants will be there, don't worry about And you got and you got Cobra. It's tough.
Speaker 3: I know, I know now, but I think you know that they're gonna give him three years, you know, I mean it's it's next year's banker break. Gotta win baby, next year break. If you have another down here, they're gonna say you're out. So if it's six or seven, that's I think that's the number. It's you know, it's that's it's over under six and a half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's six, and it just should be six. I was just I was going off topic thinking ahead to next season. You know they're gonna go to West Virginia to Rich Rodriguez. Oh, he's gonna love He's bad, just the way he's gonna love that game. If that turns ugly.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 2: That's gonna turn out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna say it's the Dave he key game.
Speaker 3: Dave, you gonna go out.
Speaker 2: There and do the coin toss. Yeah, And everybody even now speculates what would have been had he kept the job. You know, I still think about that. I know Ja jas because he thinks the world that he thinks he's a very good coach, and I don't disagree.
Speaker 3: I don't either. I think you know, it's easy to pull the trigger. You know, people, you know you're not moving quickly enough. It's gonna get worse and worse every year, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, we have to Yeah, we've got at a minute, two minutes, Okay.
Speaker 5: I just I just think going into that next year again, Khalil Tate his my front runner. You have a JJ Taylor who has experience under his belt now, but Sean Pointdexter.
Speaker 2: Who's I think I think up Khalil I think he's guilty of some of it too. Became a big head that the sportsual illustrated thing. He wanted to pass more, to show he could pass more. Someone went right with it, less running and he wasn't the passer he just wasn't They used it horribly and.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I felt bad. I mean, you you know, ultimately, you know, we can talk about and judge the team and everything, but I always try to remind myself these are twenty nineteen, twenty year old kids, and I root for them to succeed, you know, personally, I wish that they do.
Speaker 2: You do you root for them the same now than you did three years four years ago. I asked for a reason because the circumstance now, well, the circumstance down. They're making more than you en me together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I mean they're going to be held accountable a little bit more than would you.
Speaker 2: Would you hold them accountable more? Oh yeah, if you were, if you were me or somebody else right here.
Speaker 3: Making four or five hundred thousand dollars a year, you know, now now you're getting paid. Now there's performance. Now there's metrics, and you know, so it's I don't disagree. You know, you don't just have to meet these benchmarks or we're going to have to re evaluate. It's it's it's the pro mode. It's coming. I mean, it's it's it's here. It's just they got to refine it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. But these poor kids, you know, they're now, they're you know, welcome to adulthood. You're eighteen.
Speaker 2: Do you do you do you cry for Argentina who are making four hundred thousand dollars a year?
Speaker 3: Do not cry for them anymore? In fact, I root for them. You know, hey, well done. I do think they need a little bit of a you know, some some structure so these kids they get paid, they have some help. Help you.
Speaker 2: We gotta go. Do you think that they want structure? No?
Speaker 3: They won four hundred.
Speaker 2: That's what that's my point.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: We gotta give in body eleven. We're talking about curfew.
Speaker 3: I got t hundred thousand dollars. I want to go out, yes, straight, class. We're talking about class. We gotta go all right, Bye,