Speaker 1: Wait, the Lucky land slopts. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: This's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslips dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Judy was boring Hello.
Speaker 4: Then Judy discovered chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 5: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 6: Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 3: WHOA. Take it easy, Judy.
Speaker 5: Jump.
Speaker 3: The chumb of life is for everybody.
Speaker 4: So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 3: Jump chumpacasino dot com. Noe's necessary. We won't hitt my Law eighteen plus terms and conditions to play whatever you deal.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to True Murder the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gaesy Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good Evening.
Speaker 8: This is a study of the brutal torture and murder of the author's brother and his longtime girlfriend forty years ago. In July nineteen seventy eight, two bodies were found in the sea off the coast of Guatemala and proved to be the remains of Chris Farmer and Peter Frampton, respectively, a medical graduate and a law graduate, aged twenty five and twenty four from Greater Manchester. They had been beaten, tortured and killed, their bodies weighted down and dumped in the sea from the yacht in which they had been crewing for nearly forty years. No one has charged with these savage murders, even though the name of the yacht, the Justin b and its owner, an American named Silas Boston, were known. But this is also the story of how Chris's sister, Penny Farmer, and her family tracked down the killer and assembled the evidence against him, until eventually, in December twenty sixteen, Boston was arrested in the United States and charged with two counts of maritime murder. He pleaded not guilty. But among the evidence that Chris Farmer's family, aided by police forces in both the UK and the United States as well the FBI, had so patiently collected, was the eyewitness testimony of one of Boston's two sons, who aged thirteen and twelve, had been present when the murders took place. Regrettably, Boston will now never face justice, for he effectively took his own life in prison in April twenty seventeen. But for the families of Chris and Pete, they have at least as satisfaction in knowing that, through their own efforts over many years, their killer did not escape being made to face his crimes. The book you were featuring this evening is Dead in the Water, Bringing down My Brother's Keeper after thirty nine years on the run. My special guest journalist and author all the way from the United Kingdom, Penny Farmer, thank you very much for a Greenness interview and welcome to the program. Penny Farmer, thank you very much, thank you, thank you. Let's start off because we have so much to cover in this incredible tale, much much stranger than fiction. Let's talk about your family, your mum Audrey, and your dad Charles, your brother Nigel, and then your brother Chris. Tell us a little bit about your family in nineteen seventy eight. How old were you. Tell us a little bit about where your family lived. Tell us a little bit about your life with your brother Chris Farmer.
Speaker 6: Okay, we were quite an ordinary family really that we were. There were the three of us and mum and dad, and we grew up in a suburb of Manchester called Chiltern, which really doesn't have much to recommend it, but apart from the fact that it's where the Beg's came from and the monkeys, you know, it was quite a happening time music wise, the jo which best that the footballer came from Manchester, So yes, in that respect it was a happening place. But Chorlton, the suburb where we grew up, was pretty sort of quiet and a sleepy, sort of little, you know, sort of town. But my brother, my two brothers were older than me, I was seventeen when Chris went. He was a medical student, and he and Peter had started dating when they were aged fourteen. They were childhood sweethearts and she literally lived opposite us in the same road. And whereas a lot of relationships tend to fall by the wayside, there's lasted and Chris turned down Oxbridge Cambridge and Oxford University to go to a university which she could get into as well, So I mean that that was a measure of the strength of their relationship. So yeah, you know, it was a fairly normal upbringing. Really, My older brother was another eight years older than me, but yeah, it was, you know, a good, happy family. We loved sailing and going on seaside holidays every year to a place called Anglesey, which is just off Whales, and yeah, it was a very happy upbringing.
Speaker 8: You talked about your father being in working for the BBC, and also that it was very very good time, very good family life that you had. Also that you went to this family holidays on the island of Anglesey, but there was this love of fishing and sailing and also Chris, you talk about the happening Manchester in the sixties. Tell us about Chris's character in particular, not only did he like sailing and fishing, but he had his mind set up, you say, at ten years old what he wanted to do in his life. So tell us a little bit more about Chris specifically and some of the things that made up his character.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he was. He was quite a character, quite quite a big character. I mean that one of the nicest things about writing the book has been the number of friends of his that, some of which we didn't even know from his you know, university days, have come forward and given us, you know, that their accounts and memories of him. And one thing that just really strikes me, I mean we always knew that, you know, he was a very you know, outgoing, you know, a big personality. I mean what one of his friends described him as probably you know, the biggest character in their university. Yea, the most charming, the most charismatic. But at the same time, he was a very dedicated doctor, junior doctor. You know, he was you know, absolutely driven to becoming He wanted to become a surgeon. He was very trusting, probably you know, perhaps too trusting in retrospect, although no, I don't think so, actually because well, we'll go on to the store with the development of the story. But yeah, he was just a really kind soul, as was Peter. You know that they were just two very decent human beings. Chris was, you know, a colorful character, very very popular, and they had friends from all walks of life, not just from medicine and from law. You know, they you know that they just made friends very easily, and when they went to university they were quite well known for having parties and you know, a wide circle of friends.
Speaker 8: Go to nineteen seventy eight and talk about their love of travel, both of them, and they have an opportunity through this after hours medical service in Brisbane, Brisbane, Australia and the recruiting British doctors for three month contracts. Tell us what Peter and Chris's plan, your brother's plan was, which included this trip to Brisbane.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, they had always enjoyed traveling and had gone to Morocco and various places in Europe. You know, you know, when when they were at university, and indeed during their school years and obviously doing medicine law that they're pretty lengthy periods of study. So they'd always have held this joint ambition of traveling for for around about a year, and this job offer came up in Australia, uh in Brisbane and along the Golden Coasts down there too, for Chris to do this after our medical work. So they went over and they spent about six months over there, really enjoying the outdoor lifestyle and you know, sailing again and fishing and swimming. And Peter got a job, just a sort of menial secretarial job whilst Chris worked out of our you know, a medical job, and by all accounts, you know that they kept in such good contact with us. They they wrote well, Peter wrote very long, very very descriptive letters back home to her mother, and Chris always kept in touch by sending cassette tapes that he'd recorded and sending those back to so, you know, I don't think there was a week that went by where we didn't actually hear from one of them. So, you know, we got a very good idea of what they were they were doing, and it was just good to keep in touch with them.
Speaker 8: Right now, there was a there was a plan to start traveling down through Mexico and explore some islands, and they had gone to Caledonia and Fiji and and they wanted to look at some explore me and and Aztec ruins in Mexico. So tell us about this plan to travel into Mexico.
Speaker 6: So yeah, so they landed in Los Angeles and didn't really like the the city, the urban you know side of Los Angeles, and decided they wanted to get out and go south of the border. So they got a coach I think they hired a car down to the border, and then they got a coach down to Wahaka and they spent a good couple of weeks looking around the the Azpet ruins and you know, the or the historical sites. But then they met a couple who had been you know, because they loved the sea and the outdoorsy life. This couple had said that there was a great barrier reef on you know, skirting the belief the and border, and had recommended to them to go there. So their plans changed. And one of the notable features of the case is that, you know, it was just literally that they were changing their plans day by day, and you know, you sort of you know, you read the story anythink, oh, my goodness, if only they hadn't done that. You know, it's literally hours away from from them changing their plans or being a very different outcome.
Speaker 8: You talk about the extensive letters, that long letters that Peter sent to her mother Sammy, and this one was June sixth, nineteen seventy eight. What as you mentioned, they said that they were on their way to Belize and they had stopped in Chechimo on the east coast of Yucatan Peninsula peninsula. But tell us what else they said in that letter.
Speaker 6: They've met some British soldiers and that they'd spent the evening drinking with them, and they had said that they'd actually rather been in Ireland because there was more excitement there, and Peter couldn't understand that, you know, why they would want to put themselves in danger. But yeah, churchen Mal is very much the sort of gateway to Belieze, and they were looking forward to going to Belieze and exploring.
Speaker 8: There was you mentioned the owner of the Norma boat and his Australian girlfriend and they introduced Chris and to an American acquaintance of there Is named Silas Dwayne Boston. They said they'd spent a couple of months sailing to different islands with them, snorkeling and swimming, fishing with another friend, Brian as well. And that Dwayne Boston was, as you write, was a well known character in Belize. So tell us a little bit more about this meeting, how they met Dwayne Boston, and then what is written in the letter in terms of their plans regarding Dwayne Boston.
Speaker 6: Yes, so they had Dwayne Boston was operating this that he was a Californian from Sacramento, and they met him just by chance through another couple that the owners of the Norma, and they decided to do some sailing with him and go out to these beautiful keys and islands that literally litter that coastline.
Speaker 9: And it was.
Speaker 6: He ran this sort of if you like, ferry service really between the keys the islands and gave tourists such as Chris and Peter lifts to the islands. And it wasn't long before he discovered that the most enjoyable part for the tourists was dropping off at various keys and barbecuing the fish of the day, that the catch of the day, and sort of making a bit more of a sort of a party of it, you know, a sort of day excursion, and so he was running that sort of service. And obviously Chris and Peter had experienced this and felt that, you know, that they enjoyed it. It was you know, as I say, Chris was a great sailor because he'd enjoyed sailing and learnt to be a very good sailor from when we used to go on holidays as a family to Anglesey. But they decided it was, you know, that that part of it that they wanted to continue with and for it to be a longer journey rather than just a day trip.
Speaker 8: Right as you're writ in the book, though, this is a new business for Boston, and he has no license to trade. So he uses this fishing boat basically or a bigger boat anyway, six six ton boat to sail tourists, like you say, to one of the keys, or to ferry them to Belize city. But you say that right after about three months of business, that officials boarded as his boat and told them what what did they tell him?
Speaker 6: They told him that he didn't have a license to trade and he was actually taking business away from the locals, and they told him to get out of the area, either that or to become an official ferry operator, which obviously he didn't want to do because, as we were to find out, he was actually on the run from California and he wanted to he was evading law enforcement, so he obviously didn't want to come up on the radar. And he was the whole reason he was down there. He was hiding away from law enforcement and Sacramento.
Speaker 8: He had also told the previous passengers that he was going to sell this boat. And you write, the history of this boat is that when he first went over that border with his sons, Russell and Vince, twelve and thirteen years of age, he had sold his guns, you write, and he had crossed the border. And when he was with these passengers, there was talk, wasn't there of him selling this boat. And then, especially after his conversation with the belized officials.
Speaker 6: Yes, he said he was going to take the boat further south down to Costa Rica and to sell it. And it was at that point because Chris was on the way to another medical job in Trinidad and Peter was going to spend some time with another medical friend of theirs in Louisiana, so that they decided that they would go with Boston down the coast and Chris would get the sailing experience that he really wanted, and then they would part company with him in Honduras.
Speaker 8: Now you say, even though they're part of the crew, Chris's experienced sailor and this is a business for this Dwayne Boston. So what is the deal that they strike up? What are the particulars of the deal, And how much is Boston charging Chris and Peter for this trip?
Speaker 6: Okay, he was charging them five hundred dollars each, which at times seemed quite a lot. It seemed quite a lot of money, bearing in mind that they were both taken on as crew. I mean, we only have his word for that, and in retrospect, it might be that he increased that amount because ultimately he was to rob them of their money. So we only have his word for that.
Speaker 8: Now you talk about the letters from Peter to her mother, Sammy and the contact that you have with Chris. When is the last time you hear from Chris? And is there anything out of the ordinary, anything untoward in that the last letter from Peter to her mother, and or the conversation you have or you get recorded from Chris.
Speaker 6: So we last He called us from Wahaka in Mexico and it was a perfectly you know, happy conversation. He also sent us a taate recording, uh, you know, and you know he was looking forward to ex during Mexico. Further, at that point they hadn't decided to go to Breeze, and we heard from him in the tape. We heard from Peter. We we got a letter in early June. But then what happened was there was nothing we didn't hear. There was complete radio silence and no letters, no communication at all throughout July, and it was at that point we really started worrying. Then we got a letter, I think it was August the fourth from Peter and the if she posted a letter late, she always always added a PostScript and it never failed. She always said, you know, I haven't been able to post this letter, so I'm adding a little bit extra to you know now, to tell you exactly where I am. You know, she was, she was so good at keeping in touch in that way. And we received a letter on August the fourth, which was which was dated, which had a poststamp, had been posted on July the eighteenth, and the last mention in the letter which was June the twenty ninth, and they weren't hunting key in the southern part of Belize, and it had been posted from Livingstone in Guatemala.
Speaker 8: You write too that in this letter again, everything is much more meaningful later once you realize about their disappearance. But in this letter she talks about the kids that are twelve and thirteen acting like eight year olds, and she talks about that. She comments that it's she's had enough of primitive living and that the space is certainly not enough for five people. So you write that there's a different tone in that letter from all the other letters that she's ever written.
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean the beginning of the letter, which was written I think sort of about June twenty eighth.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: What one sense is that they had enjoyed the bohemian lifestyle and that you know that the sea life. But then the mood music of the letter changes, and by the PostScript of the twenty ninth she talks about the boys being very fractious and Boston losing his temper with the boys a lot, and one senses that the you know, the small cabin where they were sleeping was getting her down. It was very primitive. Yeah, and one sense is that things were going awry at that point.
Speaker 8: Now you say that there's mounting anxiety within your family and the Frampton family as well. Tell us by the end of August, what this anxiety is a result. What would you guys do as a result, What the two families do?
Speaker 6: Well? My parents, my father being a BBC journalist, he made an incredible amount of inquiries himself and my mother wrote letters. I don't think there was any embassy in Central or South America that didn't receive a letter from them asking if they had if they knew the whereabouts of Chris and Peter. They wrote copious letters, they sent photographs. They then contacted the Foreign Office, who likewise made various inquiries. They went on television to make an appeal, you know, to see if anybody had returned recently from that area of Central America who could perhaps help whom maybe had seen them. Yeah, they just didn't leave any stone unturned. And then my father had an absolute brain wave. He contacted the harbor masks in dan Griga, which from Peter's letter we knew was the last major port along the Beliezing coast that they had the boat had left from and it was that that was to prove crucial evidence both back in the seventies but also in the latter day investigation, because what that proved was that Chris and Peter were signed on his crew on the Justin Bi in June from Dan Dan Griega, So we knew that they were on that boat and they had they had left port. And then he also contacted the harbormaster in Guatemala because Peter's letter had said that their plans again had changed and that they were going to be probably dropped off in Guatemala because the weather wasn't wasn't good and to sail further down to Honduras would be difficult, and that Boston was going to put them as in Guatemala. So my father and mother contacted the harbormaster in Livingstone and apparently the boat had put in, but without Chris and Peter on board, so we knew that whatever had happened to them had happened out at sea and off the Belizean coast.
Speaker 8: Also, the captain of that local boat they knew was an American named Silas Dwayne Marston. They knew the name.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, yeah, I mean extraordinarily. You know that the amount of detail that Peter put in her letters. You know, she had even put his name, his age, She'd put the the ages of the two boys and their names. You know, it was quite incredible, really, just how much you know, detail we had.
Speaker 8: Now, despite this horror and this this disaster that's unfolding, your parents and your entire family keep it together to launch their own essentially their own investigation, or do as much aiding the authorities as you possibly can. You talk about mid October, and I know that we're skipping over all of the all the time that your family's distraught, But mid October you receive a call from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and they say that Boston's two sons are found, the two sons that were accompanying them on this trip.
Speaker 6: Well, what happened in October? By the way, if I could just just go back slightly, you know, when I was saying that Chris was a very trusting character, because you might think, well, why did they get on this boat with a stranger? However, Boston was a very charismatic, very from by all the counts, very warm character, and of course at the end of the day he had two young sons with him, two by you know what. One looks at their photograph and they're two very angelic little boys. So you know, you would think you're safe, wouldn't you With a father with two young boys. You would never think that this was some bad guy. But anyway, just to go back to your question. So in October we were to discover because by this time, you know, my parents had put out inquired left, right, and center, but we found that Boston had come back onto the radar. What had happened was he'd taken the boat back up north, back up the bleazinging coast, and sold the boat and had then flown very very quickly. He got out of the country, fled Miami and then taken a car, a coach and then and then a hire car back to Sacramento. So he was back on the radar again, and we were absolutely delighted at this point, thinking, right, we're going to find out where they are now, you know, we're going to get some information. And so the British console in San Francisco interviewed him, but first by phone and then in person, and he brought along with him his father, Russell Sor, and they interviewed him quite extensively, but of course they weren't a law enforcement agency. But their hunch was when when they mentioned where's Chris and Peter?
Speaker 8: What what did you do? You know?
Speaker 6: Where did you put them down? Where did they disembark? Apparently, his his whole demeanor, his whole body language was such that he looked guilty that they were left with no doubt that this was a guilty guy.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 9: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on Chumpa Casino dot on. I looked over the person sitting next to me. You know what they were doing? They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumbu Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free, Welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 3: No necessary daily void where hibit by lost. They terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: With Lucky landslots, you can get Lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 2: Ri?
Speaker 3: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 9: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a gets registered.
Speaker 3: In that case, I pronounce you lucky lay.
Speaker 1: For free at Lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Lock eighteen plus terms and conditions applack see website for details.
Speaker 8: Now what you say that the family expects something like someone to look for the suns or no normal investigation to proceed? What does happen? So we.
Speaker 6: Basically what then happened was, you know, Russell and Vince, the two boys were passed from pillar to posts between the two divorced grandparents and Boston himself. I mean, what then the Because the British consul was you know, alerted to the fact that they felt he was guilty, they then transferred the case to Sacramento police, who who had you know, had him in for it or wanted to have him in for interviewing. The sheriff apparently was very keen to speak to him, and I think did on a couple of occasions. He was interviewed by the police and then quite extraordinarily because ultimately, but by December, we had we ourselves had put the case in Manchester in the hands of Greater Manchester Police. They you know, asked Sacramento Police to interview him as well. They made a request, but my father, being a journalist, managed to track Boston and his father, the grandfather, down and get a phone number for him. Well, at that time, in nineteen seventy eight, Greater Manchester police weren't able to make international calls. And I know it sounds extraordinary, but this is the different world but we used to live in in those days, you know, no mobile phones and the police couldn't make international phone calls. So my father, with the agreement of the police, rang Boston and got his father on the phone and put a load of questions to him and then said to his father, please, we need to speak to Boston himself. So one day, out of the blue, in January nineteen seventy nine, Boston rang my father and basically he came up with a bunch of lies and quite quite tellingly, the story then had begun to change. He told them that he had put them ashore near Porta Barrios in Guatemala. And you know, the story had slight, subtle differences, so it wasn't a solid story that he was telling.
Speaker 8: And as a journalist, being a former journalist, your father recorded that conversation for.
Speaker 6: He did with his with his father. But unfortunately, because Boston himself had caught my father unawares, because because my father said, you know, please ask your son to ring us and we will you know, by collect and we will pay the for the call, he ran him in the middle of the night and he didn't have the recorder going when when Boston rank him. So unfortunately that that call wasn't recorded. But my father did write notes and you know, transcribed everything.
Speaker 8: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: You But but then but by January, see, we were still no further in knowing where they were, and my parents were literally you know, aging in front of us, my my older brother and I and you know, it was it was terrible by them. They had been missing for well since July of the previous year. By by January that you know, we just didn't know what to do that they were missing. That no one was telling us anything. Boston was coming up with this changing story all the time, and so my parents at that point decided to employ a private detective, which was a friend of another another doctor who Peter was going to visit in Louisiana. He had a Belizean friend who we employed as a private detective to look in just about all the tourist haunts that he could think of along the Belizian coast to see if he could get any information on the case, and tried to push the case forward because nobody was doing anything greater. Manchester Police had never dealt with an international case of this sort. Sacramento Police just didn't really know what to do and said, well, it's not our jurisdiction. It happened in Guatemala that they just didn't know what to do. And by spring of nineteen seventy nine, you know, some ten months on, Boston then went on the run and he was literally running up and down with sometimes the two children the Californian coast, down over the Mexican border to Baja, hiding out down there whenever he felt he was hot, which meant, you know, the police were on his tra He just disappeared, and you know that the grandparents colluded with all in all of this. They hid the boys whenever anybody tried to interview them. You know, we pretty much knew who this guy was. You know that he was guilty as hell, but we just couldn't track him down. That nobody was doing anything. So, as I say, a point of desperation, my parents employed this this private detective.
Speaker 8: Yes, this is Olfonsel de Pina. Yeah, we're going to go ahead to January nineteen seventy nine. You talk about a major breakthrough via this Alfonsel Depina. He meets a Catholic priest. What does this Catholic priest, Father Jerry, what story does Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean Alfonso was visiting hotels, cemeteries, you know, churches, ports, and yeah, he met the Catholic priests just by pure chance. Who and he said, you know, have you heard of these two people, these two British you know, young people. And he said, well, he said, I haven't heard of them, but I do know that two Westerners were buried, were washed ashore. Well they weren't washed ashore. They were found about two hundred meters of the peninsula off Guatemala, bot pointed de la Carboed Peninsula, and he said that this happened back in July of nineteen seventy eight. Remember that this was in January of nineteen seventy nine. So he said, you know, seven months previous, two bodies had been found floating offshore, weighed down with motor engine parts, and they from which they had come loose, the ropes had come loose, that their bodies had you know, bloated, and they had come to the surface and they had well, the female had a plastic bag around her neck and placed over her head, and they'd obviously so shown you know, signs of torture. And he said that they were brought ashore, as were the engine parts to which their bodies were tied, which were at the bottom of the sea. And they were brought ashore and an autopsy was done on them, and then they were buried unidentified in the cemetery in Porta Barios, and they were buried in unidentified grays in a corner of the cemetery.
Speaker 8: So he.
Speaker 6: He didn't want to break the news to us because obviously that was devastating news, but he did tell the Foreign Office. He then informed us, but even then we still didn't know exclusively that it was them. I mean, we had a pretty good idea two Westerners in that locality. You know, we were pretty sure that these must have been you know, Chris and Peter. But then we had to wait a further two months because we had to have their dental records flown out two and their bodies exhumed, and such was the shambolic state of the cemetery. They had to dig up six other bodies before they found Chris and Peter, and you know, very very sadly and tragically, their dental records matched. So it was then April that we actually knew that they were dead, and we obviously knew the circumstances of their deaths, but we had no idea why it had happened. These were two very decent human beings, kind, you know, responsible, worth while human beings who had died in the most ghastly, the heenous way, and we just and we had to live with that for thirty eight years. We knew we had a well, should I say, we had a pretty good idea who had killed them, but we knew nothing about why they had ended up in that state. And that was the wreckage that we came to live with for thirty eight years.
Speaker 8: Before you this case goes completely cold and you revisit it back in twenty and fifteen. You have this epiphany as you write, do you think, after this, when the bodies have been exhumed, and you've gone through this laborist effort to find them in the first place, and this by chance meeting of this priest to tell you this incredibly sad story that offers no closure whatsoever, do you believe you contact the Greater Manchester Police there's a Sacramento Police department. Do you think there's hope at that point that something can resolve after finding out all this information? Well?
Speaker 6: No, not really. I mean it's hard to imagine just how lost we felt. You know, my parents were just operating in a bubble. Really that this, you know, it all seemed so remote. Nobody was talking to us, nobody was really contacting us. We had so little help, you know what. The little about little amount of information we did have was really only gleaned by my parents. Nobody else really helped us. You know that the detective who was working on the case in greater amounts Chester was ten months later moved on to other duties, and you know we had but because you know, international communication was so poor in those days, it was terrible, really, I mean, I think we waited a further eighteen months not hearing anything, only that we were told that Boston had gone on the run, the children couldn't be found. But we did get one glimmer of hope where we really did think the case was at last go forward, and that was in nineteen eighty one when Boston turned up on the radar again because he was wanted for the abduction of one of his children, not the two children who were on board the boat. It was one of his other children and he was wanted for the abduction of that child. And we and we were told about this and we thought, great, you know we are that this, we're back on track again. We're going to hear something now, because you know, obviously they were the file for Christ and Peter was still open, and also we were led to believe and we do know that he was interviewed about Christ and Peter again. But again the story was changing again subtly. You know that he his lies were becoming more and more, you know, he was telling more and more lies.
Speaker 8: Shall we say, one of the characters in this book that couldn't let this case go was Cei David Sachs, and he'd been moved off the case like you had said, but he wrote a letter to the San Raphael Police Department saying that your father was a journalist and a med student and a highly intelligent guy that could be an asset in this investigation.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, I mean my father was just you know, he was obsessed with it. Really. You know, I think people when they find themselves in this situation either go, you know what, one of two ways. And you know, my parents they're very I say, my parents that my father's now dead. He died in twenty thirteen, sadly never knowing any of this. He died, you know, not knowing what happened to Chris. But for my mother as well, she's very sort of stiff British upper lift. And that they that they just threw themselves into the investigation. They never gave up, you know, even I think as you know, as far as two thousand and one, they were still you know, once the internet was around, they were emailing Sacramento police departments saying, you know, we lost our sons. Some girl and his girlfriend in Guatemala. You know, we pretty much know who did it. Has he come back on the scene, has he been charged with any other crimes? You know, but we never heard anything. And as I say, when Boston did come come back on the radar again in nineteen eighty one, he was let off on a technicality for the abduction of this child and once again, you know, he flew like a bird released from its cage, and once again, you know, went on the run. And you know, they couldn't they couldn't. Pin Chris, I think you know that the guy who interviewed, the detective who interviewed him, you know, he did ask him all the personent questions, but of course with no clear evidence, you know, because all the evidence had been lost, the engine parts, et cetera had been lost, and because it happened in Guatemalan waters, it was British citizens and this the you know that the suspect was American Californian. It was just too difficult for anybody to push ahead and prosecute, and it just completely floundered. I think everybody just felt this was too hard an international case to adversolve. So sadly, again in nineteen eighty one he went on the run, and you know, we completely lost all hope of ever getting any answers.
Speaker 8: You write that you graduated English literature degree Lancaster University, and you moved to London in nineteen eighty two studying to be a journalist, and you did become a journalist. You met your husband to be Ben in nineteen eighty seven, you were married the next year and you had a child. In nineteen ninety you moved to Oxford, gave up working in London and worked for a local paper and was a pr consultant. You had two more kids in ninety three and ninety six. Again, you say, in nineteen ninety one, your mother wrote Sacramento Police Department, any news, no reply. Fast forward to October second, twenty and fifteen. You're in at home. Tell us about that day in this epiphany.
Speaker 6: As you write, so, I mean, Chris has always been a part of our lives. We've never forgotten him. And you know, Mom and I My mother lives with us. She's now ninety four, but she's you know, she's got all the marbles, and she's you know, she's very fluent, she's physically very active. Still and so she and I were out on the dog walk. It was a beautiful autumn's day, and you know, we were sitting in this field, and you know, as quite often it does, we got round to talking about Chris and my mom said, you know, I wonder what he'd look like now, you know, he would have been in the sixties, you know. And it was at that point, really it was just really like a bolt from the blue. I just thought, my goodness, why on earth have I not looked for Boston and these two boys were obviously men by then, but two boys on the internet. You know, times have changed, times have moved on. Why have I not done this before? So I literally raced home from this, you know, from this dog walk, and I went to my mum's bureau and she and dad had compiled a huge portfolio of documents, much of it with original documentation in it that from the nineteen seventies, and so I got it all out and I literally just that that evening, I sort of drilled down and looked for anything I could associated with the family, and it actually didn't take very long to find the two sons. First I found Russell Boston, and then I found Vince and then I, you know, discovered Boston himself, and you know, my jaw was on the floor at this point. I just thought, my goodness, you know, these are the three people that we have for the last thirty eight years needed and wanted to track, and here they are in front of me and glorious technical color, living what seemed to be very happy, very normal lives. And yeah. So I literally spent that whole weekend compiling a sort of profile of the three of them, and then I, you know, I went, I mean, it's amazing, really how much you can find out on Facebook, how much people give away unwittingly. So I, you know, I was writing copious notes at this point, and then I you know, extended my research further out and I could see that Vince had lodge Day an appeal in twenty twelve for information about his mother. I could see from his Facebook that he knew that his mother had died from a gunshot wound because he was he was decrying the American gun laws and he was saying, you know that his mother had been shot at the age of twenty three back in nineteen sixty eight. And I was just amazed that ought to find all this information. We knew back in nineteen seventy nine that Boston's wife had gone missing ten years or eleven years previous, but we didn't really know any more detail. We knew that the boy's mother, Boston's wife I think it was his third wife, had gone missing, but we didn't really know anymore. I think the supposition was that she had been killed, but we didn't know any more detail. So in twenty fifteen to find that detail on the internet on Facebook was just extraordinary.
Speaker 8: You took this effort to and you has been encouraged by that post by Vince about the gunplay and anti gunstance, and also that he had posted something about his missing mother. So you reached out to them on Facebook. You sent them both messages. Did you get a receis.
Speaker 6: No, not at that point. I so that weekend I wrote them direct messages, well almost immediately as soon as I found them, I wrote them and I said, I think you know what happened on the justin b the name of the boat back in nineteen seventy eight, when it was sailing down the Bleazing Coast. I didn't say who I was, and I at that point had a pseudonym a Facebook account because I've got three kids and I wanted to keep an eye on them, and I made up this bogus account. So yeah, Facebook might not be too happy. But you know, fake friends in this case were your friend or my friend. So I had this bogus account and I wrote to them because I didn't obvious want to give my name away as being farmer, I didn't want to, you know, in case they remembered the names of Chris and Peter. So this worked really well to use this fake account. So I started off by saying, I think you know what happened on that boat back in nineteen seventy eight. And then as the weekend wore on and I got no reply, I became more and more threatening, and by Sunday I was telling them that there is no way I was going to leave this alone, so they might as well tell me what happened, and because you know, I was basically going to take it further, which I then did. They didn't reply to me at all. That Russell did reply to me, but that was some months later and when the case had been reopened, and by that point we were told to have no contact with the boys whatsoever for fear of prejudicing the trial. But what happened after that weekend, after me compiling a whole sort of profile of this family, I went back to Greater Manchester Police, the cold case unit and basically begged them to see me and present the file and my findings.
Speaker 8: You also talked at Mikeller Cinch or Clinch. She contacted David Sachson. He had a copy of the file with everything in there as well.
Speaker 6: He did, yes, he when he for the ten months that he was working on the case, he had compiled another another set of you know, it took taken copies of everything, and although he was moved off the case, whenever he came back he updated his file. He had been writing to sacrament A Police depart and the letters imploring them to look for Boston. And when he was found in nineteen eighty one, you know, and on the abduction charge, my father was writing long letters saying please ask him about this, please please ask him about you know, the putting questions basically to the Sacramento police to bring them up to date on what they should be asking, you know, because he was just like a dog with a bow my father about this, you know, and wanted to push the case forward. You know, he was desperate, but yes, so inspect of SAX. When he did come, he was never put back onto the case at all. But he did copy everything that my father was sending it because my father was copying in GMP at that time. Greater Manchester Police.
Speaker 8: Now this you talk about another character, Amy Crosby, and she had been investigating the boy's mother, Mary Lou was Boston's wife Mary Lou's disappearance and at that time she had spoke to Vince. Tell us about what follows these conversations once they do get a chance to speak to Vince, Well, what does he say about the murder of his mother in terms of the knowledge and the family?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean it was a massive revelation to us because when we went forward and Greater Manchester Police said, yes, we're going to contact into poll and find out what's happened on the other side of the Atlantic. It was then a couple of months later we heard that the Sacramented Police were in contact with Vince and then subsequently Russell. And it was at that point we learned that Vince and Russell. I mean, up until that point we thought, my goodness, these two kids, maybe they hadn't witnessed anything, you know, and we assumed that they hadn't or whatever had happened to them, and maybe happened at nighttime when the boys were asleep or whatever. But you know, we did sort of feel bad about the fact that they hadn't come forward, and you know, that the case hadn't been pushed forward, you know. So what was a massive revelation to us was to discover that the boys had been going to law enforcement over the years at various points and trying to tell them that they had witnessed incredibly, they had been eyewitnesses to their murders. And that was just astonishing news to us that these two boys had, you know, close quarters witnessed them being murdered. And so Amy Crosby, the detective in Sacramento Police, she had the file on her desk. I think she was because she was missing person's detective. She was looking into the case anyway. But another quite extraordinary development, and again pure coincidence how it all happened in that autumn of twenty fifteen, is the fact that the FBI launched this quest to find the Golden State Killer, and they had asked all law enforcement agencies in California to look for cold cases which matched a similar You know of criminals who had the same modus operandi of tying up and looking for couples.
Speaker 5: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck. I'm going to make him an offer he can't with you with family canolis and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business, Introducing the Godfather at Champagasino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slode. Some day I will call upon you to do a service for me. Play the Godfather now at Champagasino dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Family vdW group.
Speaker 6: No perch is necessary. If we were privateed by loss, he terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 8: Now as a as a result of that, you say inadvertently, it puts this case back on the radar and things start moving as well, and you get again another meeting where again we haven't heard the details, but from the eyewitness of reports, they ask your family, They ask your family, if they how much do you want to know? What does your family say and what does your family find out?
Speaker 6: Okay, so we were asked to go to a great Manchester place one afternoon, and we walked into the room and the head of the cold case unit there had Russell and Vince's statements that they had given Sacramento PD, and my older brother and I both felt that it was really up to my mother, who at this point was ninety one years old, and we said to her, you know, what do you want to know? Do you want just an edited version or do you want the whole lot? And she, you know, she'd been waiting for thirty eight years to find out what had happened to Chris. And you know, as I say, we are very pragmatic sort of family, and she wanted to know everything. And so yeah, so Martin, the head of the cold case unit, literally went through everything and spared us no detail. And you know, in a way it was I hate using that word closure because it's not really closure. The pain still continues. But we needed to know we'd waited so long to know what and why this had happened. And so yes, by the time we walked out of that room, I think we were stunned, shocked, and I think it surpassed any of our worst nightmares what Boston had done. To Chris and Peter, but we needed.
Speaker 3: To know.
Speaker 8: How does the case proceed. Do you have this horrible account, they have this evidence, dismounting evidence. You talk about a contact with Russell personally, but that is a little bit later. So tell us what the police do with all of this information. Now that they've told you.
Speaker 9: What do they do?
Speaker 6: Okay? So obviously he was ruled out. They wanted his DNA for the GSK because because obviously his his MO was very similar, they were very keen to DNA him and I think they were pretty surprised to find that he wasn't the GSK. His DNA didn't come back positive, but they knew that they had a really bad guy here. Russell, who was helping with the police inquiries immensely because he had had quite a lot of contact with his father, was very instrumental in providing them with a lot of information, and he sat down and with the police and basically told them about all his crimes. Russell is of the belief that he killed thirty three people, and certainly because because Boston had told him so and other people as well, and certainly his mother. He killed the boy's mother, and obviously Chris and Peter because they witnessed it. But they sat down once they ruled him out of the GfK series of murders and rapes, they realized that they had this really bad guy on their hands and that they obviously this time had to do something to prosecute him. So they've tried to get the British to prosecute him, but we didn't have the legal We had to revert back to the laws of nineteen seventy eight and we didn't have the grounds to extradite for him to be extradited and for him to stand in this country. But the prosecution team went into full full operation and really worked the case. We were, you know, they'd obviously dragged their vet for thirty eight years, but when it did happen, it happened, you know, and they really came together and they decided that the best way to proceed with the case was to charge him in a federal court because they could establish that the boat that justin b was a piece of American estate owned by an American and so quite unusually for federal courts that they were going to charge him, you know, it was going to be a maritime charge of double murder and for him to be tried in a federal court. Russell fortunately had kept a lot of the possessions, Boston's possessions, and he found the receipt for the boat, proving that Boston had owned the boat. So once he'd found that, we knew we were in business and we could proceed. We felt, you know, very confident because the two boys were willing to stand against their father, and we were very confident that the case would go ahead.
Speaker 8: You write that December one, twenty sixteen, he is arrested and charged with the murders of Chris and Peter, and they think he's in Eureka and after the responsibility left the eye to rest him. But ironically or he had moved to a place called Paradise. What is the state of this person at that time? How old is he in? What kind of condition is he in?
Speaker 6: Okay, by then he was seventy four. His health was failing. He had multiple health issues, heart, lung. You know, he'd lived a pretty rough life because he was on the run for so long, fifty years, if you take it from his wife's murder of nineteen sixty eight, just literally, you know, spent it on the run. So you know, he was pretty much a vagrant really.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 6: But by then he had got gone into this nursing home in Eureka. And yeah, when the FBI went to arrest him, they discovered, much to their dismay and shock, and to ask a shock, I have to say, because we were told that he was under constant surveillance, he had been moved just a couple of days before. And what was even more astonishing is the reason he'd been moved is that one of the nurses had taken pity on him, obviously not realizing his background, and felt that he needed better care. So he was moved to the nursing home in Paradise. So they quickly scrambled another prosecution team and he was arrested then on December the first, twenty sixteen for Chris and Peter's US back in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 8: Eight, with this entire case, and again, if you don't want to recall all of this, but if you find out the exact fate from the Suns and also another witness later, Brian Logsden, I was a good friend of Russell and he was told information that corroborated the story. But what was the reason you found out that the question you asked for thirty eight years was why, why what happened? And why what happened?
Speaker 6: Okay, so, okay, So in twenty seventeen, I mean, I got all this detail from the cold case unit, but I also heard it firsthand from Russell Boston, who I met in twenty seventeen, that basically what had happened was Boston was regularly beating up both both sons, particularly Russell, who was just basically a punch bag for him. And one afternoon in late June, my brother had interceded and said, stop beating up Russell, you know, get off. And he had tried to, I think Paul Boston off Russell who was literally beating him, you know, raining down punches on Russell. And as he did, say Boston, who was drunk, he particularly liked rum, he had swung out at my brother and he missed and he ended up going into the sea, Boston missus, and he was very humiliated. And it was quite near the coastline, and people on shore could see the altercation and could see that, you know, there was there was a row had broken, and my brother shouted to him, you can come back on board the boat if you behave, but if you're going to beat up your kids like this, then you know you can stay there and cool down. Basically. Anyway, Boston assured him that he was going to behave and be good, so my brother helped him back on board. Later that evening, Boston said to Vince, I'm going to kill them for that. I'm fucking going to kill them. You know, I'm humiliated. They're not going to live anyway. The next day, as dusk was was, you know, was drawing down that you know that the sun was going down, Boston said to Chris, go and pull up the anchor. And Chris as he went to pull up the anchor, Boston crept up behind him and with him in his hand. He had lead line trunch and one that is no longer was no longer in use at that point because of the indiscriminate damage. It goes two people. So he went up and started hammering down blows at the back of Chris's head. Chris covered his skull for protection with his arms and his hands, but Vince says there was blood flying everywhere all over the deck, and he heard Chris's skull fracture. You know, there was an awful crack. Chris tried to get up a sort of stagger along the deck and to say, well, you know what was she doing? You know, what was your game? What the hell is happening here? And then Boston, who had prepared, who had got on the deck a fish knife, a filet knife to fillip fish with, then stabbed him in the chest, in the sternum, and it was so hard that the handle broke and it flew into the sea. And then Peter came up from the galley and said, well, you know what was going on? She was shot, and he told her to get down and threatened her with the spear gun. So after that, basically he tied their hands very loosely. But Chris by this point was in a very bad state. You know, I think he'd got numerous broken bones. He was obviously concussed. I think he was fading in and out of consciousness, and you know, broken skull. I you know, one can only imagine how how badly injured he was. The reason, and I don't think we've we've discussed this one, is that the reason Boston was down there was because he was wanted in sacrament In in Beliez was because he was wanted on serious rape charge of a minor and he had escaped justice in Sacramento, which is what he fled with the boys down to Sacramento, down to Belize. So basically you've got a serial rapist on that boat. Peter was cordoned off and held in this tiny little cabin in the front of the boat, and Chris was kept on deck, tied up with ropes. She was tied up, They were stripped naked. Boston spent some you know, I will leave up to your imagination without going too far into this, but you know, Pitt Peter was alone with Boston for some time in this front cabin, naked, roped up, hog tied, hands behind. But he he over the course of well, Russell says it went on for a good two days. Vince says less, it was less time, but certainly I mean, Russell says there were two nights where they were in this state. I think Vince says it was one night. But Chris when it first after after the argument had first broken out, and he was badly and he said to Boston, you know, what can we do?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 6: What you know? And Boston said, well, you haven't paid me, and so Chris said, that's fine. You know, we'll hand over whatever you you've you want from us, and he made them sign some of their Thomas Cook travelers checks, which they did, and quite incredibly Chris got from his medical bag because he was a junior doctor. Uh. But Boston was complaining of back ache, so Chris said, I will give you a sedative to so the pain will wear off, which he did, and that that first night Boston slept soundly apparently, and Chris also injected himself into his collar bone to presumably to release some of the pain that he was in. So it's quite extraordinary really, because Chris actually did have the wherewithal in his medical bag to put Boston out. Well, he did sedate him, and presumably Chris and Peter could have. I don't know how whether Chris was actually conscious enough to do it. If he was, if he injected himself, presumably he could have. But you know, they could have tied Boston up themselves and you know, incapacitated him, but they chose not to, thinking I think that in the morning it would all be fine, and that it was just a mental aberration of Boston. So that he'd done this and that come the morning or would be fine. But what happened was, you know, the next day he woke up. Russell says that it continued for another twenty four hours. Vince says it didn't. But basically what then happened was he said to them that what he was going to do was tie engine parts, heavy engine parts that he was using as ballast to stabilize the boat and which they had picked up in Dan Griega on the trip down. He said he was going to tie them to their limbs, which he did, really heavy engine parts, because what he wanted to do was put them in shore and for them to walk in slowly. But he wouldn't drop them on shore because he didn't want them to alert the police too soon. And what he wanted to do was take the boat further out to see so he could escape. So he said he was putting these engine parts on their legs and round their necks in order to slow them down, and he then said he was going to take the boat in into shore. At this point, they were both on the deck, trussed up, hogtied with these engine parts around them, and then as he was taking them in, sure he said, Hey, I'm going to put some plastic bags over your heads. But it's okay, it's all right. I'm going to put holes in so you can still breathe. But I just don't want you to see where we're going. So he asked the boys if they would tie them around their heads, and according to the boys, they refused. But all the time he was trying to make them be accomplices. You know, he was asking Vince and Russell to watch over them during the night, to keep guard over them. He was all the time trying to implicate them in his crime. Remember they were only twelve and thirteen. But anyway, he took the boat in shore and then all of a sudden he decided to go to go back around and take them out to sea. And at that point he put plastic bags over their heads. And it was out at sea when they were well completely after their debts. You know, this was this was some way. Oh sure, he threw Chris overboard the engine parts, followed by Chris and then Peter, and again the two accounts differ. The two boys accounts differ. You know, Vince Russell says that I think Chris went reasonably quietly because I think he was in such a bad state, and I think he was physically absolutely, you know, he'd had it really by this point. But I think Peter, you know, she was fully aware and she heard Chris go into the water, and Russell says she was pretty hysterical and didn't go easily at all, and yeah, pushed them overboard out at sea, and then continued on sale. This was all witnessed by the two boys.
Speaker 8: Talk about to the psychological torture that was after the physical battering, in that the separation of the couples, but also that right to the very end he was trying to deceive them, telling them, listen, we're right by the shore. So when I dump you off with this heavy engine parts, the ropes will be kind of loose, till Russell lying to Russell in front of them, that the ropes will be so loose that they would just be able to they'd be walking on the on the ground, on the floor of the ocean anyway, So right the seating and meanwhile, as you as you write and this impending horror, Chris doesn't realize till it's too late.
Speaker 6: I think, I mean, Chris is an intelligent guy. I think I think that it was almost like it was like a trap, that it was like a serpent luring them into this trap. And I think once they realized that they were in too deep, there was no turning back. It was a one way street. I think, you know, they'd gone too far. And I think by this time they both knew that the game was up, that were not no game. But I think they knew that they were going to die. I think you know, they has to say. Chris was and Peter they were both very intelligent, bright, right right people. And Chris, you know, he didn't just have a scratch, he was very, very badly injured. And you know, goodness knows what Boston did to Peter.
Speaker 8: Yeah, now back to Dwayne Boston. He's behind bars, he's not going to get any bail. He's sick. So your pursuit of justice, your family's pursuit of justice. Your father had passed away by this time, but your mother is still alive and still, like you say, very aware, and so what happens with this trial.
Speaker 6: So we were asked if we wanted to have the death penalty for Boston. But my mother, being the person she is, she has always believed that it's sort of blowing yourself to the level of the gutter the criminal, and she refused it, and I felt, you know, but my older brother and I just felt that it was very much left. It was my mother's decision what she wanted to do. Sure, so we actually said no, we would waver it. And in any case, you know, practically speaking, he was just going to sit on death row or die on death row anyway, So we said no, that we didn't want it. But yeah, things started started moving. But then, you know, he was arrested December twenty sixteen, but by February the fourteenth, we were told that he'd been hospitalized, and it was then that our heart was beginning to think. But then by the end of February he was out of hospital again, and we actually started feeling more confident because we were given a provisional court date of October the sixth, I think it was or October the eighth, and we were asked to go over to Sacramento in early May to give pre trial evidence. So we were quite encouraged by that, you know, and we really felt that we were at last beginning to see justice, you know, that the wheels of justice were actually beginning to turn in our favor after all these extraordinary coincidences, and you know that this sort of like jigsaw that had been thrown to every you know, possible corner of the globe started to come together, almost like in slow motion. We felt, you know, wow with you know that this this this court trial was actually going to happen. But then, yeah, in early April, we got bad news.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the idea that tell us how he keeps control right to the end.
Speaker 6: Okay, So basically what happened then in early April, I mean, he knew we were coming over for him. You know, we'd actually set this pre or rather than you know, the courts had actually set this pre trial evident state of early May. So he knew that we were coming. And you know, we were coming over with the GMP detectives and the detective back from nineteen seventy eight was coming, My mum and I were coming, and we were all going to come over. And basically, on April the fourth of twenty seventeen, Boston said to his doctors, I want to stop dialysis. I don't want any more medication. I don't want liquid, I don't want food, I don't want anything. I want to die, and apparently they had to honor that. And extraordinarily I just couldn't get my head around this. I thought, you know, how can this happen? How can you let him die when we you know, just is within our grasp, you know. But basically Russell, his next of kin, his younger son, went to see him the day before he died, and he said to his father, look, you've killed our mum. You know, we know she's dead. You've admitted to us you've killed her. Please, you know, just tell us where she's buried. And even to the very end, he had this glower, you know, this this menacing look, this controlling look, and he just looked at him. He looked down at the shackles on his on his legs and his arms, because he was shackled in the in this hospital bed with two marshals either side of him, and he said, he didn't say anything. He just absolutely gave him this sort of death look and as if to say, you have you know, you've basically given evidence against me, Russell, how could you?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: So Russell got no satisfaction. Russell and Vince got no satisfaction. And yeah, and we were just devastated. You know, we could not believe we got so far, you know, in the case, and yet you know we had fallen at this final hurdle. We just we could not grasp it. It was just like a further kick the stomach really to us. You know that he was extricating term life on his terms, and that he wasn't even going to give us that that small crumb of satisfaction. It was never going to bring them back, but it would have meant a lot to have known that, you know, he had gone down for it, but he wasn't going to give us that.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 8: Part of the extraordinary part of the book, of a truly extraordinary book, is the interaction with Russell with you. That Russell has this deathbed interaction with his father, tells them things that he always wanted to tell him. And then you have this incredible meeting with Russell yourself, realizing that he too is a victim, and again you provide that event that again cathartic, you say this cathartic, but a cathartic event where you speak to Russell and talk about that faithful day, those faithful days on that boat with him and Peter. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Dead in the Water bringing down my brother's keeper after his thirty nine years on the run. Tell us where we can get a copy of this book and how we can find out more about this. Do you have a Facebook page, website? Tell us more about how people might find out more about Dead in the Water.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much. Yes, well, you know, I'm grateful to you for allowing me to talk and talk for so long. Yeah, I mean it's available, I think from just about every bookshop. If you go to my website ww dot Penny Farmer dot co dot uk, you will see three outlets Amazon. I think it's Band and Noble and one other that I can't remember right now, but I but if you go to that anyway, you will you will see it. But yes, it's it's launching April second. And yes, well, thank you so much for having me. I hope I haven't sent you all to sleep.
Speaker 8: Oh no, this has been a fascinating interview. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about this very very personal case and a very like you say, astonishing that this fight for justice, this your pursuit of justice, took so long, but you did bring this incredibly. You did bring down your brother's killer, brought him to justice and all the information about exactly what happened when first you knew nothing and all that horror of not knowing and this again it's not closure, but this thank you very much for this incredible effort and this book, Dead in the Water.
Speaker 6: I want to thank you very much, Thank you very much. I've just and my website tells me that it's Amazon US, it's Barnes and Noble, and it's Indie bound, so I hope that helps, and that the publisher is Diversion Book, so who've been absolutely wonderful and yeah, are very supportive. So yeah, anyway, well, thank you so much. And I hope that readers let me know their thoughts because I've got broad shoulders and you know, I'd love to hear from people as to what their thoughts are on the case. And as you say, it is just one of those really unbelievable stories really that if you read as fiction, you just would not believe. But yeah, I can vouch that every word is true.
Speaker 8: Absolutely. Thank you very much a Penny Farmer for talking about Dead in the Water bringing down my brother's keeper after his thirty nine years on the run. Join me fans for on Facebook for comments about this episode and others. Thank you, Penny Farmer, good night, Thanks, thank you.