Speaker 1: Incredible Mother's Day for the stars. We'll talk about it here in thirty minutes when we go around the sports. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 2: Oh it's ready, it's ready, it's ready.
Speaker 3: Here goes here he.
Speaker 2: Goes everyone ready, Yeah, ready? Oh what there it is?
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've done this segment in about eleven years, so it's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But heard or what Daryl Hall from Hall and Oates, he's man. Uh he did an interview on something called the Broken Record podcast and listen, Oh, broken Record is the one that Rick Rubin started. He started, okay, Malcolm Gladwell, but they don't host it anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah they yeah, and they started it. Now two guys, no one's ever heard of run it.
Speaker 2: Okay, the guy seem pretty knowledgeable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen to it's music nerddom. It's a good podcast, and this is getting all the music headlines or whatever. So I was like, okay, let's go see what this is. And I went and listen to it. It's pretty good podcast, films all of it, but yep, it's good.
Speaker 3: Like the Doobies, there was a lot there was a number of groups like that that they kind of got eventually pigeonholed as yacht rock, but really what it was was just R and B. Guys, they're just making R and B records and they were white, and so this.
Speaker 4: Is something I don't understand. First of all, yacht rock was a joke by two jerk offs in California, and suddenly it became a genre and I don't even understand it. I never understood it, and I totally man, I'm glad you say that it's just R and B. It's just another with some maybe some jazz in there. It's mellow R and B. It's it's it's it's it's smooth R and B. Yeah, I don't see what the yacht part is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I'm glad that he's butt heard over this. And it's funny because he's right, that's what yacht rock is. It's smooth R and B. However, this is really more of a conversation around how record labels market stuff and how people follow trends. Right, Like, I can tell you a number of songs from that era, and some of them. On Thursday night, I'm hosting yacht rock music Trivia at Rollertown. Okay, you jerk off, you know, and as I was, as I was putting together the list of the songs I'm gonna play and all that, there's certain things I'm like, man, this is just R and B, but I'm including it because people associate it with yacht rock. But the whole thing is people, hey, this is popular. He is singing about binging on a boat. I'm gonna do the same thing. There's a bat. Norman Connors is a badass jazz R and B artist, and he has an album called You're My Starship, and he is standing on a yacht. He's a jazz dude and he's standing on a yacht in white pant pants with a captain's hat, because that was selling music at the time. Like this, it's really more about like when you go back and you look at something and you ascribe a name to it because it has all these connotations that they weren't purposely doing at the time.
Speaker 5: But he's right, it's smooth R and B. But I think it's a butt hurt response. And he seems perpetually butt hurt, like I think that I think of him. He's got a sour taste in his mouth, and he's butt hurt about something. That's just the way I view him from afar. It may not be fair, but it just seems like he's always buttered about something. I would assume, like, why not just go hey, man, that's a pretty cool thing. Honored to be a part of it. Man, whatever he like, who cares?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: And have you guys seen any of you guys probably saw the documentary. That's why Michael McDonald is so great. Michael McDonald is and he is the face of yacht rock. And did y'all see the story where Paul Rudd came up to him in an airport? Was like, man, I am so sorry about that scene in forty year Old Virgin and I hope it didn't offend you. And he goes, man, I think it's really funny. And I've got my kids making fun of me about it, and I laugh every time.
Speaker 4: I say.
Speaker 1: The best thing that happen for him, Yeah, said, if I have to hear this one more time, y'all will burn the place down or whatever.
Speaker 5: He says, shoot everyone in the store.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's but Michael McDonald, who is the face of yacht rock, has a sense of here.
Speaker 3: He know what he says.
Speaker 1: He says, if it wasn't for that, people wouldn't be thinking about me right now. Why take yourself so seriously?
Speaker 5: Yeah that you can't like joke around or look at it through a different lens. Like if someone came up to me and they're like, man, your rap career sucked ask so bad it was yacht rap, I'd be like, awesome, that's great, Yeah, I love it. Let's have fun with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know the other guy who's perpetually butt hurt and always has been Fagan from Steely Dan. He wants nothing to do with but.
Speaker 5: That guy's always been an a hole time.
Speaker 2: My guy, John Oates is the real hero here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, there he goes.
Speaker 5: That is your guy. You introduced him, I mean you interviewed him right all right. Coming up next in the news quickie the new additions to the Video Game Hall of Fame and what Shippy had to do with the Stars win. That's all coming up in the early four o'clock hour. That's next on Eagle