Speaker 1: Hello. I'm Ray Lee and this is the Gillingham Podcast for anyone living in the Gillingham and Spa area. I'm at Gillingham Library talking to Daniel Coleman about the new extended Access program. Daniel, can you tell us about extending access exactly what it is?
Speaker 2: Yep? So extend Access is something new that a few of our libraries now have. Gillingham is the third one in the county to be able to offer this service. It's where you'll be able to access the library from a am to eight pm Monday to Saturday, so six days a week. And you can do that even if there's no staff in the building. It's just via a swipe card system.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, So do you have to register for the service?
Speaker 2: So you do have to go through a bit of an induction, perhaps mostly online, but we can do in person ones here at the library if you're not comfortable with using that, you know the team here will know things that they can ask them of those sort of like niche questions you might have. So even if you've done the online one, you're more than welcome to come on in and still ask us some questions afterwards.
Speaker 3: So how does it work?
Speaker 2: So when you want to use it during extended access, you come up to our front doors and part of the induction you'll get shown what it is. But there's like a swipe system basically near the front door that you just scan your library card at and give a pin number. You're then into the building. The doors will magically open for you and you can then come on in. The lights will automatically turn on for you. You will be in there potentially with somebody else, if somebody else has decided to use it at the same time as you, but it's very very possible that you'll be in there well on your own, in the piece and quiet.
Speaker 3: So you obviously you need a new library card for that is a special card.
Speaker 2: Nope, so it's not a special card. It's anybody who is already a member is able to sign up and keep their current library card if you want to sign up, it's specifically just to use it in extended access because you can't currently make it in during our opening hours. You're more than welcome to do that. It's exactly the same card as anybody would.
Speaker 3: Have, just books that you can take out or can you do anything else.
Speaker 2: So it's in terms of taking things out. It is just your books. Some people have reservations to collect, other people want to browse the shelves, but you'd be more than welcome to come on in. We're obviously quite heated with warm so the winter months are ying away now, but come the end of the year, if you wanted to come in and just sit inside for the warm for a bit, you'd be more than welcome to. If you wanted to meet with a group of friends and just have somewhere free that you don't have to pay any money to stay in, you'd be more than all sign up and then come along that way.
Speaker 1: Services did the library provide normal hours?
Speaker 2: It's really everything. So there's obviously the book lending that's kind of like our core offer. But we have a large amount of events, so children's and adults, you know, even just thinking today. We've had rhyme time this morning.
Speaker 3: We've had an art.
Speaker 2: Group in, We've got a bridge club that meet this afternoon, and then throughout the week various other things lego, etc. We have public computers, so people who maybe don't have access to computer at the time, or perhaps need something a bit of help with their digital skills. There's digital champions that offer support to them. Yeah, it's really everything.
Speaker 1: So if you wanted to use a computer, for instance, would you have to book a slot or do you just turn.
Speaker 2: Out so you didn't have to book a slot. If you wanted to guarantee yourself a bit of time, you might want to sort of contact us and just let us know that you'd like to use the computer, couple of books, something out for you. You do need to have either a library card or use a guest ticket to do that. And if you are either signing up for a library card or using a guest ticket, we do normally need some sort of address or ID just to make sure we can do that.
Speaker 3: So this is obviously open to everybody who.
Speaker 2: Lives in anybody anybody. You don't even have to live in Gillingham. We get people from when Canton come in. Sometimes we get people from other towns in Dorset who are either up here for work or just happen to be in the area.
Speaker 3: So provided you've got your library card, well.
Speaker 2: You are, and we're part of a consortium with other counties. So if you're looking for a specific book that maybe we don't have, there's a chance we can order that in from another library like Canton or further afield like Bristol.
Speaker 1: So if people want to know more about this new extended access other than popping into the library and asking is there any information online that they can access.
Speaker 2: So on our Dorsic Council website, depending how familiar with it, you might find the library's tab and be able to go that way. But you can put in the search bar extended Access on the Dorsal Library's website and it will bring you to all the pages you could need, and that includes information about what extended access is, what you're able to do then, as well as the libraries that offer it, and links to that online induction that you can just get cracking.
Speaker 3: That's great, well, lovely job. Thank you very much for your time. Thank you.
Speaker 1: If you're a member of a group or organization that would like to be featured on the future Killing the Podcast, then you can email me at Killing the Podcast at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening.