Speaker 1: And now your host for Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, Damn Cays.
Speaker 2: Oh everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. Hope you're enjoying this beautiful Saturday afternoon here in southern California. The sun is out, the water is listening. The Dodgers there in Houston is sixty two and forty three on this season, first place atop the NL West with a six and a half game lead in the division. After dropping the series opener in Houston last night, the Dodgers look to get back on track with yet another rookie taking the ball. Justin Robluski will take the mound for the Dodgers first pitch. A minute made Park is coming up at four to ten. Between then and now, we have got a lot to get to here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from the de manager Dave Roberts will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vasse will go one on one with another Dodger, rookie River Ryan, who is expected to get the start tomorrow in the series finale. Shortly, we'll check you with Kirsten Watson in just a few minutes will head out to Rick Monday and Tim Nefert and the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth. Well, yesterday, the Dodgers ran into Fraanburg Valdez, who pitched really well for the Houston Astros. Meanwhile, Gavin Stone win six innings, allowed four runs on nine hits a couple of home runs.
Speaker 3: He gave up three strikeouts along the way.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers' offense just couldn't get anything going against Valdez. Otani single to lead off the game. Then Valdez retired sixteen in a row, including the last six by strikeout, before getting Gavin Lux to single the one out in the sixth inning. The Dodgers would have the bases loaded, but the Oscar Hernandez struck out and then Andy Potez flew out to end the game. That was it as far as any offensive threats for the Dodgers last night. Meanwhile, the Astros got after Gavin Lux in the second with an RBI single and Alex Bregman in the third a solo home run to left that gave the Astros a two to nothing lead. Then the Pride of Long Beach Milliken John Singleton gave the Astros the lead for good.
Speaker 4: Three two pitch now to Singleton, swing out and beltic deep too right, This one's going into the upper deck for a two run home Round four nothing Astro. Singleton's eighth home run of the season, four hundred and three feet to the upper deck. He just mass a three two cutter that was inside and he turned on it, dropped the head of the bat down and got the best part of it.
Speaker 2: Singleton with a two run home run four hundred and three feet.
Speaker 3: Astros up four to nothing.
Speaker 2: Du Pond then an RBI double in the eighth Inny and that was the final nail in the coffin for the Dodgers, as the Astros go on and shut them out five to nothing. Frommer Valdez gets to win his ninth of the season. He struck out ten along the way. Gavin Stone gets tagged with the loss. He falls to nine and two on this season. Dodgers sixty two and forty three now overall, still a six and a half game lead in the division. Both the San Diego Padres just keep on winning and they're not going to go anywhere the rest of the season. No doubt about that. Game two of this three game set coming up. Justin Robleski on the mountain, the leftender go for the Dodgers, and with more, let's head out to the Gallpin Moters broadcast booth in Houston, as we say good afternoon to Rick Monday and Tim Neffert.
Speaker 3: Guys, Tim, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Rufe closed again here as it is much of the summer in Houston, Texas, as the Astros get set to take on the Dodgers, Game two of this three game weekend set. Dodgers start the night sixty two and forty three, six and a half ahead of the Padres in the National League Western Division. Astros still a game up on the Mariners in the AL West at fifty four and forty nine. Last night, right before the game, Freddie Freeman had to go home, so he missed his first game all season. Dodgers did not have his bat in the lineup, and Houston really took advantage from Bervaldez at one point had retired sixteen straight hitters. And anytime you see that in the game, you know the offense just is not gonna have much of a chance. And used to going on to shut him out five nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was all speed pitches. That really kind of confused this Dodger ball club. I mean, normally they had lent to particularly well, but not the case in last night's ball game. One of the things that I noticed last night and I confirmed it with some numbers looking at it today, the Dodgers they have the best batting average as a team in the National League when they put the first pitch into play, And I thought last night, if you're looking at how the Valdez pitched, he tried to get ahead early in the count. He tried that. In fact, the very first bat of they faced that being show Hey o'tani in the very first inning the ballgame just underway. What happened in the first pitch a double, so you get RBI possibilities. But then it went to three outs in a row following that. Dodgers just won for nine with runners in scoring position last night. But I thought that they were tentative and they expanded the strike zone from an offensive standpoint, They're gonna have to him at that again tonight with all speed pitches to.
Speaker 4: I try to find a way to even up the series. Ronel Blanco at nine and five and a two seventy five era facing Justin Robluski. Robluski makes his fourth major league start, and for the Dodgers, they've got the lefties back in the lineup and Gavin lux moving way up in the lineup to the third spot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dave Roberts. Last night in the elevator back of the hotel after the ballgame, it turned to me beause some of the coaches were on there. We're talking about the game and frustration of last night. He goes, Hey, who do you think I'll have hitting you to the third or fourth in tomorrow's game, meaning tonight, And I said, well, Gavin Luxey's one of the hottest hitters that you have. And for Luxi's done that. I mean for the last seven games, he's eleven for his last twenty, and he'll be in that number three spot tonight. Interesting point where we are right now, very quickly in the season, because you know, the trade deadline is on the thirtieth, and right now there are twelve teams boasting that they're in the playoff contention. You know, team in the Nation League Western Division is really making up some ground right now, and that's Arizona. They won fifteen in last twenty two. They're seven and a half out, but they're kind of positioning themselves. You saw the magic they had last year going to the World Series as a wild card, and they're trying to knock on the door right now.
Speaker 4: Dodgers still the number of head to head matchups against Arizona, so it's not going to be any picnic down the stretch. In order for the Dodgers to win one hundred games, they've got to go thirty eight and nineteen. At this point, they're on pace for ninety six wins. The number of wins isn't that important as opposed to the number of games they finish ahead of the next best team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the biggest number on wins is try and get one tonight, make it sixty three in the ballgame. As far as the season goes, they're going to have to hit better more consistently they did last night, and there's no question about it. They're going to have to run the bases better than they did last night. Last night, well in one inning, the base running well, you go back to a base running one toh one.
Speaker 4: Well, the Dodgers need to find a way to win on the road. Last eight of ten road games have been in the lost column anytime. The Astros have won eleven of their last thirteen home games, outscoring the opposition seventy six to thirty three. Dodgers and Astros Game two Dodgers trying to find a way tonight here in Houston.
Speaker 2: Tim, all right, thank you guys, as we cutting down to first pitch. Dodger fans get that game day meal on. It's Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shanky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: We'll check in with David vas Say.
Speaker 2: Of course throughout the show, he'll go one on one with one of the young right.
Speaker 3: Handers for the Dodgers, River Ryan.
Speaker 2: We'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. We'll get you an injury report up next, so your Otani rewine and we'll visit with Kirsten and Watson from Sports and at LA. So lead you out to first pitch of Houston Dodgers and Astros on this Saturday. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It's Lorongo Casino Dodger was on deck y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: HiT's the Dodgers and Astros Justin Rowski and Ronel Blanco of the pitching matchup Game two of this three game set. First pitch coming up at four ten, this is.
Speaker 1: The Otani three wide.
Speaker 4: He swings the first pitch and he slashers went into left center field for a base hit and O'tani rumbling around first on his Wait a second and he's in with a leg double, his twenty eighth double of the season. Pitch two, Otani is ripped up the middle of base hit and they got a fastball right around the knees that split the plate in half, and Otani hit it to the right of second base up the middle. Now the one too, there goes Otani. Pitches in the dirt throw down and that hits Otani. It was a terrible throw to the right of the bag. It glanced off the gloovel. Two they hit. O'tani went over toward the shortstop and there was paining you to grab it. So stolen base number twenty five for sho Hey Otani.
Speaker 2: Shoo Tani last night had two of the Dodgers six hits. He goes two for three on base three times. You heard the stolen base there. He's now got twenty five on this season. But the Dodgers get shut out in the series opener last night in Houston five to nothing. The final The Otani Rewind brought to you by Itto Antoyocha, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that showey Otani loves and drinks available at local Diso stores, Amazon and eto in dot com.
Speaker 3: That's it O E M dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Kierson now joins us from Mint Made Park before Game two of this three game set. Kirston Freddie Freeman. He's away from the team right now. So the Dodgers have added some help in his absence.
Speaker 6: Yes they have, and he's gonna be away for the team. We don't know the exact timeline, but what's most important right now is that he's with his family. So he and Chelsea and the kids, they're the thoughts and prayers are with them at the moment. So as long as Freddie needs, he's going to have the family. Emergency list time is usually a seven to nine day, so again no timeline on his return. So what that means for just who's here, what the lineup looks like. Things do look a little bit different at the moment, Hunter Fidusha he is being activated, his family is going to be coming down as he's going to making his major league debut. Once he gets out there. He is a catcher. We saw him a lot at spring training. He's got a great bat, and so that's really what his usage at the moment. It's getting his bat where they can. He's not someone who could play the field, Dave said. If he gets into the game again, it's really just for a bat maybe to backup kid. So on the back end of the game, we'll kind of see what that looks like. But even with looking ahead to tomorrow, you know Will Smith is going to be they're gonna give him the day off and Austin Barnes will be catching. So right now, it's kind of putting pieces together as we kind of get through just this very large injury bug I think that's attacked the team and then obviously just some personal reasons for some others. So again piecing things together. But when Hunter, hopefully he's got a great bat We saw it a lot. He's been performing really well at Triple A, so hopefully he can kind of be a little boost this team needs.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned the different guys that are hurt and then mixing and matching in the lineup. Last night Gavin Lux goes two for three, batty ninth and today he's batty third.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, hey, when it comes to Gavin Lux, he's earned his way to the top of the order. And yes, again, lots of injuries at the moment were used to there's no Freddy, there's no Mookie, there's no Max Munsey. The list kind of feels like it goes on and on. But Gavin Lux, he came out of the All Star break and he's gotten back to exactly where they want him to be, you know, as much as it has taken some time, but defensively, he's been in a really good spot for majority of this season, if not all of this season, and then offensively, it just took him time to kind of get his legs under him. He was telling me recently after he won National Player of the Week that you know, he didn't realize just the impact his knee injury was kind of having on just when it comes to the swing in that full the need to have his whole body kind of going together, that was impacting it a little bit more than he had thought. And so now he just knows that he's got his legs are truly under him. He feels strong, he feels good to go. And even this All Star break, he went home and he saw his uncle Agischmid, who's also his one of his hitting coaches, and so he was telling him, you know, you just gotta be aggressive, you know, have the confidence within yourself. Be aggressive, like Dave always says, moved the ball forward. He was saying that, you know, he just wants to put it up in the air and put it in play, and so he's been doing more of that and getting those results. So this is exactly you know, look, it's the second half of the season. It's truly go time, and so he feels that he's in a really good spot right now and now it's just kind of keeping it consistent. So hopefully he can do just that today, He'll do it at the top of the order.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he can keep it going to night Kirsten. We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Brought to by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your own car.
Speaker 3: Donate today and your car could be picked up tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It's that easy. Donate now at Cars for Kids dot Org. That's cars with a case still to come. Here on Dodgers on Deck will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Veasego's one on one with the River Ryan up next. We'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself. Dave Roberts lead you up to first pitch from Houston on this Saturday afternoon. Dodgers and Astros of Tim Kass, Los Angeles Dodgers audio notwork.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers hunting on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Saturday afternoon. I hope you're well Marongo Casino Resort and spat a Grand Slam for good times. Dodgers in Houston to take on the Astros. First pitch set for four ten.
Speaker 1: This it's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Chris Taylor on the IL with the left groins train, Miguel Rojas on the IL the right for him tightness, Mookie Bets on the IL, Yoshanova Yamamoto on the I L Walker Bueler. Last night in Triple A Oklahoma set, he made a rehab start, four innings, four runs, eight hits, two walks, three strikeouts. He threw seventy two pitches and will most likely make another minor league rehabit start before the Dodgers making a decision on what to do with him the rest of the season. Michael Grove on the IL, Max Munsey, Bruce dark gradall, Ryan Brazier, who pitched last night. He in Oklahoma City, all on the sixty day. I L all right, let's head out to Houston and get the pregame thoughts to the Dodgers skipperd anything.
Speaker 7: Dad questions for Dave, Dave? Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 1: The dugouts with Dave Robberts Dave?
Speaker 7: Yesterday when we heard the news, just to Freddie.
Speaker 6: Freeman going home to be with his family during this time. What is the plan though? We saw that Hunter produce.
Speaker 7: It's been activated.
Speaker 8: What's the plan for him, Well, he's on the family emergency list. I think you have you know, seven days, potentially nine days. I think for us, we don't know. We're just trying to let him spend time with his family and you know, pray that things continue to improve. I don't know, you know, his time, and I think that for me personally, it's just kind of waiting to hear from him and when he wants to come back. So right now, yeah, we recalled hunter and he's kind of here for coverage. Left handed bat family from Louisiana, so they'll be making their way out here and hopefully we can you know, get him in a bat at some point.
Speaker 3: Can he play the field or.
Speaker 8: No, he's just he He hasn't played. He hasn't played anywhere else side of catcher.
Speaker 9: With the Fagan arm, Like, is there a waying Will Smith big first or something.
Speaker 8: Like that that's not gonna happen. Will hasn't played for I think he played first in an extra ding game in San Francisco and didn't make a play. So I don't think he's gonna be at first base. So yeah, so Austin will catch tomorrow and then hopefully you know we'll still get trye Hunter at bat?
Speaker 2: All right, Hunter Forducia called up from Triple A, Oklahoma City. He's there as an extra bat off the bench. The Dave Roberts report down there in the dugout brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts is a tightening in his own right, and he's got a plan before his team hits the field. You need one too your growing contracting business. Let's Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at Service Titan dot com. Will we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, We'll check in with David Bassay as we are leading up to first pitch of Houston Dodgers and Astros.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kaateson's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio, Nework.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 5: On your home for the Blue.
Speaker 2: All Season Law Dodgers and Astros.
Speaker 3: Game two of this three games. Sent justin Rob Luski on the mount. First pitch coming up at four to ten. The umpire crew for sapt's game.
Speaker 2: Brought to my Fred Loyer Insurance celebrating fifty years of providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 9: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 7: All right, DV.
Speaker 2: You look at the Dodgers lineup in this matchup against the Astros. Obviously you know Freddy Freeman for those reasons, they gotta hurt Mookie Betts, Maxi Munty's been out for a while. You look at the lineup today, it's getting a little thin.
Speaker 9: Yeah, not only those superstars, Tim, but also you think about role players that you may not feel that have had a great offensive season. They haven't, but Miguel Rojas and Chris Taylor also hurt the Dodgers depth. And that's part of the reason why Gavin Lux is hitting third. Luckily for the Dodgers, he seems to have hit his stride since the All Star break. He went back to Wisconsin. If you remember on the pregame show, he shared with us on the last homestand and work with his uncle in the batting cage during family reunions back there, and his uncle was the one that reminded him to stay connected to the ground. So Lux is hitting third today and Dave Roberts alluded that Miguel Vargas may get the start at third base tomorrow with the way things are going right now with so many guys hurt, and obviously Freddie Freeman being back with his family.
Speaker 2: All right, speaking to hurt, David, how about some updates Walker Buehler, Bruce dog Graderol, a name we haven't heard in a while.
Speaker 3: Michael Grove.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Michael Grove and Bruce dar Graderol both appeared in their second rehab game yesterday for Oklahoma City. Good results. They each pitched an inning of scoreless baseball, but Dave Roberts said today that they are nowhere near close to returning to the bull And Walker Buehler, Yes, he did pitch yesterday, but he did not pitch well. He gave up eight hits in four innings, gave up four runs in four innings. And that's the reason why he is going to have another start in Oklahoma City instead of rejoining the Dodgers. And at this point in time, Tim it's more about results with Buehler than it is about help. The Dodgers would like to see better results from Bueller before they bring him back up to the major leagues. Because they cannot afford to have Bueller come up and give up three or four runs in the first three or four innings of a game. They need him to kind of reinvent himself a little bit or make the adjustments. He's not the same pitcher physically as he was back in twenty nineteen or twenty twenty. He's going to find a way to be more of a pitcher to get back closer to being effective. At this stage of his career.
Speaker 2: The David is driven by Ford. If there's one thing we like, it's choices. Find yours with the four f one to fifty gas hybrid or y'all electric tough. This mark can only be called f one fifty Tuesday, three o'clock Pacific, it's the trade deadline TV. We're starting to see some guys move around the league. Jass Chisholm getting traded into the Yankees.
Speaker 3: What are you hearing?
Speaker 9: Well, Yeah, The big one for the Dodgers was Randy a Rose Arena. Going back a month, the Dodgers were working on a deal that would bring a Rose Arena to the Dodgers that obviously did not come to fruition. They were never really in on Jash Chisholm.
Speaker 4: But I guess the.
Speaker 9: Last attractive trade chip the Marlins have is their closer, Tanner Scott. But my understanding is the Marlins are asking for a lot for Tanner Scott, and that's part of the reason why the Diamondbacks went with aj Puck instead of Tanner Scott a couple of days ago. The Dodgers are looking for an impact bat. It could be somebody from the Angels, whether it's Taylor Ward or Louis Renheefo, Nico Horner from the Cubs, or Ian Hat from the Cubs. And also, you know, it's interesting when you look at the landscape of closers. The Pirates are still in the National League wildcard race, but you never know, to try to get better, they may have to trade one of their back end relievers in David Bednar or e Raaldis Chapman. So we'll see what happens. But the Dodgers certainly have a lot of different ways they can pivot. Tommy fam of the White Sox seems to be a name emerging being connected to the Dodgers these days.
Speaker 2: We'll find out as the clock continues to tack down. David, Thank you Dodger fans at Hansher listening experienced by downloading the iHeartRadio opp and listening to Dodger games at HD. It's all powered by LA Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos Lacare dot or coming up here on Dodgers on Deck TV. Who goes one on one with the River Ryan. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup tonight with Justin Robleski on the mound of next. So your Dodgers Magical Moment don't go anywhere. We'll leading you up to first Pitching Houston, Dodgers and Astros. I'm Tim Kansas, Los Angele Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 7: As we were.
Speaker 1: Saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Astros.
Speaker 2: Game two of this three games set Justin Robleski run a Blanco the pitching matchup first Pitcher Minute made parking Houston's coming up at fourteen.
Speaker 1: Who It's time for the Hawfe Magical Moment. Pitch Magical presented by Hawby Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: We go back to October eleventh, nineteen eighty one. Dodgers Stadium was the scene. Game five of the NLDS Dodgers taking on the Houston Astros. After the Astros won the first two games at the Astrodome in Houston, the series came back to Dodger Stadium. Dodgers won Game three, Game four to set up a decisive Game five, Nolan Ryan against Jerry Royce. Nolan Ryan pitched well. Jerry Royce pitch well to help out the Rodgers, who then in the bottom of the sixth inning broke it open.
Speaker 4: You talk about emotion, You just think on Tuesday, somebody's gonna have to play two.
Speaker 5: Hours Sosia Hey said, however.
Speaker 2: He's gonna got home nothing.
Speaker 3: Dot it, Tommy an amazing comeback.
Speaker 5: You come down, You come back here to Dodger Stadium down by two, and you said before it was an easy thing to say, but you.
Speaker 3: Hadn't go out and.
Speaker 1: Do it well.
Speaker 7: I told him Friday.
Speaker 4: In the meeting, I believed that we were going to beat them, more than I believed anything in my life.
Speaker 3: But I said, all I want you guys to go is believe the.
Speaker 6: Same thing they did. They did a great job.
Speaker 3: And won a victory. I don't want to thank.
Speaker 1: God for giving all of us this wonderful opportunity.
Speaker 3: It was really great.
Speaker 2: It's the great Tommy Lasorda there postgame with Tony Kubek. You heard Joe Garajoel on the call on Mike Soosha's RBI single. Dodger scored three runs in the bottom of this sixth inning, and then in the bottom half of the seventh inning, the Dodgers would tack on one more on a two out triple from Steve Garvey as the Dodgers beat the Astros in Game five of the nineteen eighty one NLDS four to nothing to advance to the NLCS. This magical moment brought to you by Hoffey hot Dogs, a so Cal treasurer for over one hundred years. Yeah, there's a hoffeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase Crave Delicious Haffey hot Dogs. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check back in Rick Monday as we are leading up to first pitch from Houston Dodgers and Astros on Tim Kass Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Howork, this is Lorono Casino Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers in Houston as they continue this weekend set against the Astros. Justin Robleski, you want to know on this season, go up against Ronel Blanco first pitch coming up at a four to ten. Dodgers fans, you can start your future by going to the California Community colleges. Financial aids available to help you. They can help you tuition, books and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. All right, classes can fill quickly, So enrolled today and I can go to college dot.
Speaker 1: Com and now joined by David Bassey. Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 9: Rick Monday where deep in the heart of Texas. And I'm not sure if this was planned or not, but right outside your radio booth here is a photo of Nolan Ryan's no hitter against your nineteen eighty one Dodgers. That's not Southern hospitality.
Speaker 5: You have to leave, don't you. Thanks for bringing it up. By the way, Dwayne McDonald brought that up to me yesterday and I said, oh, thanks, anything else that's depressing, I'll tell you what's even more depressing. Coming to this ballpark. Is it looking at a replica, if you will, of the World Series, the World Championship of ring that they have from that year, the garbage Can year. That's aggravating.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Clayton Kershaw said as much as well. He does not like seeing it. He does not like coming here. But the Dodgers have got to turn to Patrick and they've got to find a way to score some runs tonight.
Speaker 5: Well. The other part too is and if you look at the first inning last night, I mean the very first pitch he gets, show Heyotana gets the double to left center field to figure, okay, fine, Dodgers will take the early lead. Will Smith strikes out line drive to right field by tioscar Her. Nattie pot has grounds out. So missed opportunities. The Dodgers last night for one for nine with runners in scoring position. But I think the big story was is that they ran the bases horribly. And I underline that by horribly when you look at what happened in that semonth enty trying to get on the board, I mean two different mistakes. You're the one or third you cannot jog in the home plate and it was ruled that Miguel Vargas did not touch home plate before another base running blunder, that being by Kicki Hernanez, who went around second base for some reason, went past second base. He was easy pickings boom, he gets tagged out, run doesn't score because of jogging towards home plate. That's the third out of the inning. The inning is over. The Dodgers missed golden opportunities to score. This cannot happen. And if you look at the Dodgers, while they had a good road trip, I mean a good homestand at six and one with that lost last night, if you look at the bigger picture, Dodgers have dropped eight of the last ten away from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they have not played well on the road, going back to before the All Star break. And like you mentioned Rick, those type of things, especially now without Miguel Rojas, without Chris Taylor, without Freddie Freeman, the list goes on and on. Those things get.
Speaker 5: Magnified, no question about it. You know, last night, going up after the ballgame on the elevator, of riding with Dave Roberts and a couple of coaches as well, and just talking very briefly about the ball club I mean, you look at it, as you mentioned right now, you have Mookie Bets on the injured list. You have Max Munsey, Miguel Rojas, Chris Taylor. You're missing Freddie Freeman and we hope, by the way, and we send our best wishes to Freddie and his family with their son Max. On top of it. Well, those are the position players. Then you look at the pitchers. You have Yamamoto, Dueller, who didn't pitch particularly well last night in Triple A. Gradol is pitching. We haven't seen him at the big league level. Bobby Miller is throwing tonight in Triple A. Then you've got Dustin May. He's going to be out for the entire season. So this is I mean, this is kind of a skeleton crew. And Dave Roberts looked at me last night on the on the elevator, and I can see the frustration because he's got limited sources to go to and you have twenty six man roster. But this is not really indicative of this really good Dodger team right now. I'm not throwing disparaging words towards the other guy's in the supplemental role, but these are not the big horses that pull the wagon in the majority in that nine in the batting order, and they says, well, what do you think? And I turned to him, I said, as I was getting off the elevator, I said, Dave, one thing that we know, when the band starts playing, you've got to get up and dance. And that's exactly what has to happen with this dog your bunk club. They've got to get up and dance.
Speaker 9: Yeah, local time six ' ten. Tonight, this game is going to start, and whoever he has, they've got to play their best, and tonight it's not going to be easy against Ronell Blanco.
Speaker 5: And I sent some frustration on the guys down down below, and I understand that because they know that they're short on the troops that pulled the majority of the wagon.
Speaker 9: Hey, River, Ryan was a shortstop until the Dodgers made him only a pitcher. You never know he might have to grab a bat for his start tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah. What's the last time you got a base hit, David? Oh? You know Badingu?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: Well, no, no, I played in an adult league during junior college. You know, I still had the dream, kept it going. I got a baseit in that way, s Pulva the basin.
Speaker 5: Did you get the baseball?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 9: Rick, let's go look at that picture of Nolan Ryan again.
Speaker 5: Your time's up. Goodbye, see you tomorrow.
Speaker 9: We'll send it back to you at the studio.
Speaker 1: Tim.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. You can find out more at Speedy Cash dot com or stoping in LA Area Speedy Cash Store. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup Rick, we'll be back with Tim Neffert. They'll get you the keys of the game right before first pitch.
Speaker 3: But up next, go high and tight with River Ryan. They ale alluded to him.
Speaker 2: He was a two way player, shortstop pitcher acquired by the Dodgers in a trade. They made him a pitcher. Only it's been really good so far. He gets to start tomorrow. We'll hear from him today.
Speaker 3: That's next.
Speaker 2: So leads up to Dodgers and Astros from Tim Kasi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting Game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Ashhos Justin Robleski Ronel Blanco. The pitching matchup First Pitcher Houston is coming up at four to ten. Dodgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital at LA. When you need the very best care for your child, there's only one place to go, Children's Hospital Los Angeles because they're ranked number one in all of California for pediatric care.
Speaker 3: Find the right doctor as CHLA Horse and now what.
Speaker 1: Will likely be vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This this high and tight.
Speaker 9: It's the Dodgers and Astros getting set for Game two of this three game series, and tomorrow River Ryan will be making a second major league start deep in the heart of Texas. River thanks a lot for the time. Appreciated.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you for having me. I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 9: It's kind of fitting that you'll be making your second major league start here in Houston because the guy by the name of Nolan Ryan had a lot of no hitters in this for this organization.
Speaker 7: Yeah you sure did. Yeah, that was really awesome.
Speaker 9: Did Is there any connection as far as you knowing the history of the game and knowing some of these guys that came before you.
Speaker 10: I mean, there's definitely no correlation between me and Nolan Ryan. We're not related in any any means. But yeah, watching watching Nolan Ryan, a lot of videos of him when he was playing. It's pretty special man, electric stuff.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 9: I know a lot of the young guys talk about they love playing the game, but they never really watched it growing up. Did you watch a lot of baseball growing up?
Speaker 10: No, The only time I really ever watched sports is when it means something, so like playoffs or I mean All Star Game, Home run derby is pretty cool to watch. But I definitely like watching them.
Speaker 7: Watching players play when the pressure's on, you learn a lot.
Speaker 9: I keep reminding people that you were not just a pitcher when you got drafted by the Padres. You were two way players. So what inspired you to chase your dream of playing baseball?
Speaker 10: Well, the dream has always been to be a major league position player. But when I got traded the Dodgers in twenty two, they I went into the office and asked them. I was like, hey, so are we gonna still do the hitting thing or are we just pitching? And they just said, you're just gonna pitch, and I was like, all right, yes, sir.
Speaker 9: That made things a little bit more easier to focus and to grow as a pitcher, to be able to make your major league debut last week.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, When you are able to just focus on one thing, I think you can you can develop a lot of aspects in your game. I've definitely over the past two years, learned a lot on the pitching side, developed the arsenal quite a.
Speaker 7: Bit, added a couple of pitches.
Speaker 9: So yeah, and I last saw you, I told you we hadn't seen each other since spring training. Camp broke and during camp you did not really pitch a lot. So how did you get your season jump started and be able to have this opportunity?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Now, I just did a lot of rehab in spring training for the shoulder, because the year before I almost I was nearing tripling my amount of innings I through the year before, so that was pretty taxing, especially just becoming a was my second.
Speaker 7: Year just pitching my entire life, so that was a lot.
Speaker 10: But yeah, I took some rest in the off season, did some rehab in the off season. All the way through spring training and extended and then some so I think we're in a really, really good spot.
Speaker 9: Did you feel like you were starting to hit your stride before you got called up?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it wasn't never really the question of well the stuff play.
Speaker 10: It was being able to throw strikes and attack guys efficiently. Getting strike one is the biggest thing I can do, because if you fall behind you, you're gonna give him a chance to do some damage against you, and that's that's definitely not something you want to do.
Speaker 7: So getting strike one is huge.
Speaker 9: Did you learn something as far as the way you use your secondary pitches the sequence scene in your first start against the Giants.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm still definitely in the process of learning what pitches to throw in what situations, but I kind of have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do against right handers and what I want to do against left handers. So yeah, I'm just gonna, like I said, try to get strike one and then go from there.
Speaker 9: River Ryan is our guest. He made his Major League debut at Dodger Stadium, and while I was doing Dodger Talk, I saw your whole family out on the mound. You had a lot of people at Dodger Stadium. What was it like after the game and just being with them and sharing them moment.
Speaker 10: Man, it was a true blessing to have them all be able to make it out for my debut. That was very special. I'm praise the Lord that they were all able to make it, especially with what was going on with the airports. Some of the family was stuck in the airport for twelve hours thinking they might not make it, but fortunately a lot of them were able to make it out. And yeah, we we just hung out after the games, kind of talked about the outing, how blessed we are to be able to be in this situation.
Speaker 7: But yeah, it was very very fun. I could tell.
Speaker 9: Family means a lot to you.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. Yeah, Family's everything.
Speaker 10: They've They've been there supporting me since I've been you know, just a little chap So to have them still be in my corner at twenty five years of age is very special.
Speaker 9: That's awesome, River, Ryan, Before I let you go, since your roots are as a hitter, any itch to go into the batting cage at any point in time during the season, it takes some hacks. With the boys.
Speaker 7: Oh, I think about hitting all the time.
Speaker 10: I wish I could still hit, but like I said, it got taken out of my hands and we're just focusing on the pitching side and it's got me here. But I do still take some ground balls at shortstop as part of the routine leading up in the starts. You know, say athletic because I've been in a position player in my whole life. Quick twitch muscles. Got to keep them, you know, in motion. Definitely helps me on the mound, clean up my arm action. Throwing some balls from the hole at shortstop. It helps me get behind the ball better on the mound.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I love it.
Speaker 9: Maybe Dave Roberts if he needs a bunter and in a safety squeeze situation, River Ryan's available.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm always ready. I'm always ready. When my name is called, I will be ready.
Speaker 9: Okay, thanks a lot for the time, and it's great to see your trajectory from where you were in spring training to making your major league debut and just never looking back moving forward. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: There he is River Ryan, eas he got a root for just like Alex Vessia. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Tim one of the young good guys for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Right now, he's going to get the start tomorrow in the series finale, Dodgers Fans, Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game, it's group day at shakys dot com. As we leads out to first pitch Dodgers and Astros on this Saturday afternoon, I'm next with time deeper to this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kayson's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tap on your home for the Blue All season.
Speaker 2: Low Dodgers and Astros, Game two of this three game weekend series in Houston.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at four ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: Is that a buy your Southern California Toyota Dealers turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality in an all new twenty twenty four Tacoma See your Toyota dealer Today, they make it easy. Ronel Blanco on the mound for the Astros nine to five with the two seventy five ERA. Thirty year old right hander of the Dominican Republic his third season in the Big League's making his twenty a start. Among a all starters, Blanco rim ranked second and opponent's batting now evers sixth in RRA and is tied for eighth and wins. He was also the first pitcher to throw a no hitter this season, doing it in April against the Toronto Blue Jays last time out five and two third innings, four runs, six hits, five strikeouts and a loss to the Mariners. This is the second time in his career he's facing the Dodgers. He faced them at Dodgers Stadium last June six innings, allowed three runs on two hits, walk two, struck out six.
Speaker 3: In ain't no decision.
Speaker 2: Justin Robleski on the mound for the Dodgers. Twenty four year old left tender eleventh round pick in twenty twenty one out of Oklahoma State, one to O the four to forty ERA, made his major League debut on July seventh against Milwaukee tossing five innings, given up five hits, four runs, two home runs, two walks, while striking out four in a loss. Dodgers and Astros were fifteen minutes away for first pitch. Keys to the game, Our next, Tim Kasis, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tap on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Astros. Justin Robleski on the mount. First pitch coming up at four ten. Dodger fans en hands are listening and experience at Dodger games by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD. It's all powered by Lacare Health Plan, serving to all Angelinos Lacare dot org. All right, back out to the booth Rick Monday, Tim Neffer, Guys, Tim.
Speaker 4: Thanks again, We count you down to the first pitch. The Dodgers and the Astros had been made, park roof is closed. It had been raining again here today doesn't matter indoors who've got dry conditions, natural grass, and a good place to play baseball. Tonight, expecting another sellout crowd here in Houston, Justin Robleski will make his fourth major league start. The left hander coming off his best start as a big leaguer. He got a no decision against the Boston Red Sox, going four and a third shutout innings. And what we've seen out of Robluski so far reverse splits. Left handers are hitting him better than right handers. Four hundred for the lefties and one ninety four for the right hander.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you look at the last two Stars, right hitters have hit just below one fifty and doing that, I think the big thing for Reveski is to get into the swing of things very quickly and throw strikes into a nice ballgame.
Speaker 4: So Ronel Blanco going for the Astros nine to five for him, he has lost each of his last two starts. One thing, though, He's been particularly tough on left handed hitters, and the Dodgers have more lefties back in the lineup orse so Tony doesn't matter either way with him, but Lucks has moved up to the three spot. Then you go Jason Hayward and James Outman and Cavin Biggio also in there's left handed batters Dodgers and Astros. Game number two of this three game weekend set Dodgers looking to even up the series lineups and first pitch around the corner.
Speaker 3: Tim, all right, don't forget when this one is over.
Speaker 2: David Vassie's got you cover with all the highlights and postgame reaction from Houston and joint Dodgers and Astros. Next, I'm Tim Kase has been wrong Goo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network