Speaker 1: Hey, Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get Security this Week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this Week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord Discord dot Security this Week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. So this man wakes up in the hospital. The phone rings. Doctor tells the man, I have really bad news. You're very sick after your collapse yesterday. We ordered several tests. You have avian flu ebola, your HIV positive, and you have hepatitis. Wow. The guy says, what are you gonna do? Doc replies, well, for starters, we're putting you on a strict diet of only pizza. He says, Will that really help me? Doc says no, but it's the only thing I can fit under the door. Nothing but serious, serious security talk here at Security this Week. I'm Carl Franklin. That's Patrick Hines and Dwaine Laflatte.
Speaker 2: Are we changing format?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that doesn't sound like all right, we have six stories today. Let's start with this one. US Cyber Agency SISSA. But you know SISSA, so we had we had, we did have a Yeah, they do the scores, right, US Cyber Agency SISSA exposed reams of passwords and cloud keys to the open Web.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're supposed to be better than this is what you're trying to say.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, yeah, I mean this is SISSA. They give us the scores.
Speaker 3: Cyber Cybersecurity, Infrastructure and Security Agency. There's a lot of security in that name for someone who released a bunch of passwords.
Speaker 2: This never happened with Jen was running that show.
Speaker 3: I know, right, Jen's got to come back West Point Grad's right player of the guitar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I think she's happy where she is.
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty geeky that we know that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you knew Jen.
Speaker 2: She went to West FO.
Speaker 1: You're on a first name basis with it.
Speaker 3: We only wish we knew Jen. We knew not.
Speaker 2: I'm very I'm very Kevin Bacon from Jen I know a lot of people who know her. She knows a lot of people that know me.
Speaker 1: But I do not know her.
Speaker 2: Okay, so wait, wait when Jenny Easterly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when were you at West Point?
Speaker 2: I graduated eighty eight.
Speaker 3: When did she graduate? You know, I think she was within.
Speaker 2: A few years. I think we were there. You would have to look it up to know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's talk about this story. So the US Cybersecurity Agency says I may have escaped a sizable security breach thanks to a good faith security researcher who identified publy exposed credentials that allowed access to government cloud and internal agency system So were they compromised or were they not?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just as much a compromise as if you take all of your passwords that you may have and put them out on your public website.
Speaker 1: All right, So nobody actually used them as far as we know now.
Speaker 3: So according to this, they're pretty sure that this cybersecurity researcher late On I believe is his name. Okay, I'm sure I'm butchering that found this before anybody else and reported it relatively quickly, And it was first reported by Brian Krabbs. We all know Brian Crabbs does a great job. So moral of the story. The way this kind of looks is there's a contractor doing work for SISSA. I'm not entirely sure why he had a spreadsheet or sheheet a spreadsheet of user names and passwords for valid government insights and then went to make a GitHub commit and committed it up to a public repo.
Speaker 1: Got to be careful where you save those spreadsheets.
Speaker 3: And then somebody saw it and save.
Speaker 1: Them outside of the reposts.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. Hey, listen, if you're vibe coding, mister contractor, maybe ask the AI not to put secret stuff in the in the directory that's coming public.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that's that's a good conclusion.
Speaker 1: It was probably right.
Speaker 3: There might have been a little vibe coding at all. We're not confirming it here, but it's entirely possible.
Speaker 1: You can neither confirm nor deny, but it does.
Speaker 3: It does point out like you have a cybersecurity Infrastructure agency department that's totally focused on you know, cyber and and the right things to do, and they put our recommendations around tabletop, you know, exercises you should do with your organization, and you know, all sorts of really great information about how to protect yourself as an organization. And then you know, even they who are more cyber conscious than most could have something like this happened.
Speaker 1: So you never know.
Speaker 2: So it'll be interesting if there's any followup for the those were wondering. Jen At graduated two years after mem nolascin ninety so wait, she would have been a plebe when I was a junior.
Speaker 3: When you were a junior, I would have been very mean, so you could have you could have done mean things.
Speaker 2: I was usually harassing my classmates because I was the first sergeant, so I was more likely to be harassing them than God.
Speaker 1: I could have bumped into her in the hallway or stolen her gaze over a cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeh, I just know that on LinkedIn. I think we have a lot of people in common.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Okay, anyway, let's move on. Cyber Unicorn Sierra Sierra cy E r A acquires five month old startup Genie Security and fifty million dollar deal. So it's an Israeli startup with just five employees, joints cybersecurity company with acquisition Spree.
Speaker 3: First off, they got a couple of things going for him there is rarely, which means you know security, right, I mean all your firewall.
Speaker 2: Companies positive bias. Is that what you're saying, Yeah, exactly, That's what I'm yeah. So this the reason this story is here is because this market's a little crazy. People don't know where cyber is going, whether it's going away, which has been predicted for thirty years by people including Dwayne and I at one point, and there's a lot of fear. There's a lot of people who are trying to figure out where it's going. I think it's going to be more of the same. We've noticed that there are more patches in every more vulnerabilities in every patch. Things are accelerating, but it's been on that trajectory for a while. This will be a big evolution in what cyber means and what protection looks like. But I don't think the industry itself goes away. I don't think the industry automates to the head of a pin on AI or anything like that. But it it's definitely changing. So this is a sign of these times that a five month old, five persons startup can sell for fifty million dollars. Some of that's going to just be hyped, that's going to wash away, and some of it going to be they just have a really good idea or they're doing things in a very interesting way.
Speaker 3: So fifty million dollars five months start up, ten million dollars a month they earned invaluation. That's on an idea, not bad on an idea. So that's yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 2: So this isn't really a news like that we normally cover, but but it's it is. You're going to see a lot more stories like this. There's a lot more you know, the market punishing incumbents like like CrowdStrike and Carbon Black because of an announcement of an AI that might come out that might change things. Everybody's waiting for where the chips are going to fall. I don't think we're going to know this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although, okay, there's gonna be a lot of awesome things this year. I know, I know some of the some of the things that we're working on are awesome.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that should scare us all.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a lot of awesome things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things that we can't talk about.
Speaker 3: Things we can't talk about, but things that are awesome.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's getting through.
Speaker 1: Oh, my god. All right, next story, Webworm deploys Echo creep and graph worm backdoors using Discord and Microsoft graph API. You know, if I just read that out of context to my mom, she would think I'd lost my mind.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, yeah, read this sentence, Carl.
Speaker 1: Hey mom. Webworm deploys Echo creep and graph worm backdoors using Discord and MS graph APIs plan.
Speaker 3: Is don't judge in one one because you're having a stroke.
Speaker 1: She just parachute in from over here.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it doesn't get any better. The third paragraph in a tax mounted by the group have leveraged remote access trojans. All right, we all know what rats are, right. Piece of malware allows somebody to access your system, like ghost Rat nine to two rat aka the Hydrack and mick Rat with cheese. The threat actor is said to overlap with China's Nexus cluster, tracked as Phishmonger or Aquatic Panda six Little Monkeys in the Space Pirates Six Little Monkeys is best known for deploying ghost Rat. Like, what the hell?
Speaker 1: What do you think of that? Mom?
Speaker 3: Exactly? It's it's like some sort of japanimation thing, like we're I don't know what we're talking about. Anymore.
Speaker 1: It's the most surreal sentence I've ever read on the internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a paragraph rather six little monkeys working with the phishmongers in the space prits. I mean, I thought I'd never see it in my life, but there you go.
Speaker 1: All right, So in English, what happened here?
Speaker 2: So the space.
Speaker 3: To follow me here. So all this is is this is a quick warning that we've talked about commanding control in the past, right, So, if you have a piece of malicious software sitting on your network, it's probably reaching out somewhere. Commanding control is much harder to detect on your network if it's using valid channels. So, for example, if I'm reaching out over DNS, or I'm reaching out over web traffic or like, you probably won't pick that up right now. Corporate networks generally inspect web traffic, right so they can see what's inside web traffic, So you don't want to use web traffic. Corporate networks a lot of times will use secure DNS, so kind of hard for you to breach that as well and use it as a command control structure. But then again, corporate networks will also use things like Microsoft Office, and they sometimes will use chat programs like Discord, so it's harder to inspect that traffic. So what this is saying is there's a lot of threat actors out there that are now piggybacking on Discord as a command and control which is funny because we've been doing it for a year or quarter, but piggybacking Discord for command and control because it's harder to detect the traffic that's inside there, and also using the Microsoft Graph API. If the Microsoft Graph API sounds like it might be familiar, if you guys have been listening to this show for a while, which we should.
Speaker 1: We should tell everybody what it is. I mean, it's basically the one API to rule them all for your accounts, right, what could go wrong? It's it's basically gives you access to all of your documents, your Excel, spreadsheets, your Mike you know what is it? Three sixty Yeah, all that stuff in one place. It's just one huge API for you and your account to go get everything that you can do on Microsoft's websites.
Speaker 3: And there used to be, uh, there was a tactic called token tactics. So if you guys look up token tactics where you could actually request a user's graph API through a sneaky social engineering way and then gain access to their accounts, and then have the ability to renew your token every ninety days that you contain, you'd still maintain access to their to their accounts, their you know, Microsoft Office Suite without them ever seeing you log in, even if you change your password. So there's a lot of really kind of cool things you could do with the graph API. A while ago, some of that's been shut down, but now it's being used for commanding control.
Speaker 1: So hang on second, my interns at the door, what, oh no, thanks, elliit Later he just brought me a micrat.
Speaker 4: With cheese, sit down with the Space pirates in this six little monkeys, Yeah exactly, mcrat.
Speaker 1: All right, So you know, this is just a tale of woe. There's nothing really that anybody can do about it. Stuff happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think a lot of it is like, no matter how good you are at monitoring outbound traffic, there's still gonna be ways that people can get past that. So defense and depth, like Patrick is always talking about, is key here, right, Don't just trust one outbound filtering rule to make sure that oh we're not getting hit with this this type of traffic, you know, you obviously need point detection on laptops and desktops. You need to make sure that if Discord is not a corporate communications platform for you, heads up block it, right, That's probably the safest thing.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to say something very Dwayne esque that I should probably have edited out, but I probably won't if I.
Speaker 3: So the sick way, do I have to get the lawyers? Now?
Speaker 2: Should I play the music?
Speaker 1: Patrick?
Speaker 2: It's the signal protocol is published and you can write your own rapper and use the signal protocol. Would that be distinguishable? So if you get an organization that uses signal and you had a agent or piece of code that was using would that be discernible? So by the by the perimeter.
Speaker 3: Here will tell you the signal protocol is the way that you can wrap the messages, but not necessarily the ports on back end server and that sort of stuff. So could I could I mimic the way signal actually talks through the network, Probably you wouldn't be able to intercept it. You're absolutely right, I mean, that's probably a very secure way for you to transmit data. Honestly, even using maybe something like the signal CLI on a rat of some sort where you can just send messages through a normal signal protocol and the signal.
Speaker 1: Servers to idea.
Speaker 3: Twayne, I like that, all right, signal.
Speaker 1: Now you got to put the theme song in there somewhere. All right, Well, take a break, okay, and we'll be right back after these very very very very important messages. And we're back. It's Security of this week. I'm Carl. Let's Dwayne and Patrick, and we got a couple more interesting stories here. Cisco warns of new critical s D one flaw exploited in zero day attacks. And this is a ten, isn't it? It's a ten.
Speaker 2: They stuck the landing.
Speaker 3: I know, right, well done? Uh yeah, I think this is a ten because A not hard to exploit. B you gain administrative access and get to manipulate the sd WAN fabric and.
Speaker 2: CE definitely on the internet.
Speaker 1: People put it on.
Speaker 3: The internet, right, so super accessible.
Speaker 2: Well it's not really much good without the Internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got this awesome network that can't talk to anything. The thing is a network at that point. Yeah, the thing that I work, Yeah exactly, it's definitely a not work. The thing I find fascinating about and we've seen several styles of attacks like this is why oh, why oh, why would you put management access because you have to hit the management interface? Why would you put management access out on the internet? And if you did for a particular reason, why wouldn't you point it at a trusted IP address, like oh, only my house IPEE can hit this management interface on the internet so that I can come and you know whatever. But it just it doesn't make any sense to me when we see firewalls being exploited remotely and you go, well, how's that possible? Firewalls drop traffic? Oh unless you tell it. Yeah, listen to management traffic on the internet, which still blows my mind.
Speaker 1: Now I'm reading this and I don't see that there's a patch available. But I do see that in this is May twentieth when recording this, that SISA has added this flaw to the Known Exploited Vulnerabilities Catalog, ordering federal agents to patch affected devices by May seventeenth. Right, okay, but I don't see any patch.
Speaker 3: Any any listed patch now, So in this case, the patch immediately is really a remediation step, so they're unplug it. Yeah, yeah, honestly, you know you're not far off evacurate there, unplug it. It's the the remediation step is don't put the management interface on the internet.
Speaker 2: Friends. Don't let friends manage from the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: And if you have to for some reason, then restrict it to a non.
Speaker 1: IP and use a VPN.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so that there's a bunch of different ways that you can secure this so that people can't get access to it. But yeah, this is being actively exploited. That's one of the other reasons this is so high. So if you are running I don't even think we mentioned the CV this is CVE twenty twenty six two one eight two. Yeah, if you are running a Cisco Catalyst sd WAN controller, there is an authentication bypass and you need to go out and make sure your management interface is not accessible on the internet.
Speaker 1: Just do it when you get to work. Man. Yeah, right, come on, you know.
Speaker 3: I didn't even tell you. Carl. On the Discord group, we had a savvy listener hit us up about our last recording.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the and the text.
Speaker 3: Goes something like this, Oh, lords of the iPhone, who who was it during this recording of security this week? Who had an Android device being out at about twenty four minutes in.
Speaker 1: Oh was that? And it was?
Speaker 3: It was actually on my desk. I do I have a sam and even named the device I do, I have a Samsung Android device sitting on my desk.
Speaker 1: Here started making happy noises, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Making happy noises because we do a lot of testing, right, tearing apart devices and that sort of stuff, and that one was just happened to be charging on my desk so I could tear it apart later. But yeah, so that was funny. Though. Well, I'm well done. I think that was larsk.
Speaker 1: I think we got to send that personal lock pick set.
Speaker 3: I think so I'm gonna do it. Yes, lock picks to you, sir or ma'am, but lockpicks to you all right, so I will hit you up privately.
Speaker 1: Okay, we done with that story. Weird, terrible, but you know what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Patch?
Speaker 1: All right? Next story, g seven countries release AI S bomb guidance, so we know what software bill of materials is, but now there's and there's a bomb for AI.
Speaker 2: So basically here's the thing. A software bill of materials is needed because we need to know what you have in the military dependencies when you had when you were defending something, you had to know what we were defending. You to know what your inventory was, what your people were, your vehicles, things like that. To defend you have to have an inventory.
Speaker 3: So it's not unlike if you're defending from an attacker, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: So the software bill of materials is something we've been talking about for a long time. Yeah, you don't know what you have, you don't know how to protect it. That also applies to crypto. Okay, so a C bomb is a cryptographic bill of materials, meaning in order to become quantum safe, see I work that in in order to become quantum safe, I'm already asleep. You have to you have to know where you're using crypto and what kind of crypto you're using. Well, that is now true, and it's painfully obvious that you need that for AI as well, because shadow it T used to be a problem with in the access days, in the mainframe days, and we you know, those of us with gray hair remember that, and the young people don't.
Speaker 1: I tell everybody what shadow i T is.
Speaker 2: Shadow it is. Hey, I need the powers that be to help me solve this problem. And they're like, go sit on an egg. I can't. I don't have time for you today. So they go solve it themselves. And so they vibe coding, or they're they're they're chatting, or they have little devices that they bring the meetings that are recording all the secrets and the NBA material and it's sending out off to the cloud. If you don't know what AI is inside the walls, you don't know how to secure it and lock it down.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about the LM hosts, the models, all all of that.
Speaker 2: Now everything you can talk to is potentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take Zoom right now, what code basis they have access to? I don't know if you guys have seen the latest incarnation of Zoom. If you install it on your desktop, if you fire up a Microsoft Teams meeting, not Zoom, a Teams meeting, Zoom pops up and says, do you want me to take notes?
Speaker 1: I have seen that.
Speaker 2: I did not see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. The latest one will now say anytime you are in a video and or voice call, anytime the mic pops up, it'll be like, do you want me to take notes? I see, I see you're doing a thing. I can take notes and that's all passing through their AI. It's very h and you ask yourself, so what AI are they using, and what are the ramifications?
Speaker 2: And which Chinese cities it hosted it?
Speaker 1: I think the word is province, But which province they have cities? That's true?
Speaker 3: No, no, just provinces. Uh so, yeah, needless to say, I think it's important.
Speaker 1: So why why is it called an AI S bomb and not just an AI bomb?
Speaker 2: It should be an A bomb, A bomb AI bill of materials.
Speaker 1: Right, I guess because software.
Speaker 2: It's k I, not AI. Huh ok because KUNLUS is artificial kul intelligence k E.
Speaker 3: That's thanks.
Speaker 1: So this is guidance from government agencies, from the group of seven that jointly published this guidance to help organizations create an S bomb for a So here's the thing.
Speaker 2: We are woefully behind in S bomb. Yeah, and so now we're just piling on and crypto bomb and A bomb.
Speaker 3: And I was gonna say, it's it's on the queue. We'll work on it in about ten or twelve years.
Speaker 2: I think the only one we're up to speed with is lip bomb. That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, good call, good call, all right.
Speaker 1: So the feature story is not about the man who woke up in a hospital, but it's the first public mac Os kernel memory corruption exploit on Apple M five. And the reason it's a feature story is because you don't really hear of problems with Max and mac Os being attacked.
Speaker 2: Or isn't it like designed to not have memory problems? That's the whole Yeah, so yeah, valu wick, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Apple spent I don't know, five years and billions of dollars on what they call Memory into Integrity and Force m I E.
Speaker 2: How's that working out?
Speaker 3: Uh? Well, it's it's actually been pretty awesome up til now.
Speaker 2: Somebody, we are.
Speaker 1: The iPhone, the lords of the iPhone apparently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the low words of the iPhone say it's awesome. Som i E is the culmination of an unprecedented design and engineering effort spanning half a decade that combines unique strengths of Apple silicon hardware and advanced operating system security to make sure that memory corruption doesn't happen. And then if you take a look at this article, there are two guys standing in front of the Apple, you know, the Apple signing Cooper Tino mm hmm. And if you zoom in on that picture that's redacted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I wondered why the red square. It's a big red square if you.
Speaker 3: Read interestingly enough, if you read above it, it says from type confusion to root. Okay, so they're using type confusion and they say they're not going to publish anything until uh, you know, until you into has been patched. And then if you look at the first look at the video, they actually, oddly enough in this video show a bunch of the memory addresses that they're actually attacking. So you can probably reasonably say, AI will look at the picture and the video the spray that they're doing here and say, oh, yeah, I know what they're attacking.
Speaker 1: So the most interesting thing about this whole article is that the engineers of the people that wrote the article, working together with Mythos Preview, built a working exploit in five days. Yeah, isn't so, you know, I guess they're the good guys.
Speaker 2: But did they go to arubafore the other three?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, whats it so long? I don't even understand.
Speaker 1: Says we wanted Early this week, we had a meeting at Apple Park and Coupertino. While there, we also shared with Apple our latest vulnerability research report, the first public Maco S Colonel Memory cre exploit on M five Silicon Surviving Mie. It was laser printed in honor of our hacker friends. We wanted to report it in person instead of getting buried in the submission flood that some unfortunate poone to own participants just experience. Most respected hackers avoid human interaction whenever possible, So this physical strategy may give us a slight edge in the eternal race for five minutes of faming glory on Twitter.
Speaker 3: True story.
Speaker 1: So this is the story of the exploit in our field trip. Full technical details will be shared after Apple fixes the vulnerabilities in attack path. Hopefully it won't take our beloved company too long. We only budgeted one year of domain registration fees for this attack. So it's basically two guys who used and I haven't read far enough to know where they were from, but they are.
Speaker 2: So are they employees of Apple? Because you've got to be with one of the companies or a contractor to use myth those right.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, that's what that's my question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are ways to sign up for mythos depending on whether you're a reputable security researcher and that sort of stuff. I'm gonna leave it at that. What's interesting is if you click halfway through this article, there's this mad bugs link, yes, where they talk about all of their AI exploits, like using using Aida to find bugs in Ida, using Quawa. How I got rooted on FreeBSD with a shell script. All right, So the mac os one, right, So they go through a bunch of places that your reverse engineering tools are belonging to us.
Speaker 1: So this is a private hacking security firms Califf. It's a security firm from California, trying to keep the Internet together by occasionally taking it apart.
Speaker 3: Codex.
Speaker 1: So they somehow got access to Mythos Mythos. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It may be because they're working on some of the maybe the contracts with somebody.
Speaker 3: Yeah or not. I mean, honestly, you can. We could apply for Mythos if we wanted to have access to Mythos. It's not that big a deal. It's just not it's okay, just not great. There are better ways than Mythos too. I'm gonna leave it at that.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, thank you, okay, yeah, thanks.
Speaker 3: Going to stop talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should forward the lawyer rock jump on.
Speaker 3: But there yeah, there are better models than.
Speaker 1: Okay, anybody you want to make rat with cheese before we sign off.
Speaker 3: Let me ask my Space pirates.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's it. That's all that happened that we could find anyway in what happened last week, and we'll talk to you next week on security this week, Bye bye, thanks everybody, my guys,