Speaker 1: Now your host for playoff Dodger Talks sound off Angelino's Tim Kaits.
Speaker 2: We got ourselves a series now tied at a game of peace as the New York Mets steal home field from the Dodgers a seven to three win today out of Dodger Stadium in Game two of this NLCS. Hi, everybody, and welcome to postgame Dodger Talk here on AM five to seven d LA Sports Live.
Speaker 1: Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We are hailing serio six thirty pm before we hand things over to Clippers pregame with Adam Austlin. The Clippers a preseason game, their first ever at the Intuit Dome in Inglewood, So looking forward to that coming up at six thirty seven to thirty tip off. But until till now, Between then and now, we got a lot.
Speaker 1: To get to.
Speaker 2: As far as postgame reaction from the clubhouse, We're gonna hear from Max Monsey, Keiki Hernandez, Brent Honeywell, the Dodgers dropped the second game of this LCS eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is your phone number if you're at the game today, You're still sitting in traffic leaving Dodgers Stadium. You gotta line open for you. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Certainly a lot to digest in the last twenty four hours. What has happened? The Dodgers win Game one last night convincingly over the New York Mets, get a stellar performance from Jack Felherty. It's a nine to nothing shutout. Everything that could go right went right for the Dodgers in Game one. Things completely turned around today against the Dodgers and in favor of the New York Mets. Sean Mania on the mound, The new look Sean Mania, who has adjusted his mechanics and now throws three quarters as a left hander, had showey Otani on roller skates at the plate today, had the Dodgers' top five hitters hitless in this Game two of the NLCS. The Dodgers pitching today was a bullpen game. We knew that going into to be a bullpen game. They elected to put Walker Buehler in Game three at City Field on Wednesday as the starter, pushing him back and now going with a bullpen game in Game two, and it absolutely backfired on the Dodgers. They did not have the same blueprint or game plan like they did in Game four of the NLDS against the Padres. You heard from David from Dave Roberts in the Clubout show where he said no Daniel Hudson, no Alex Veski who was not even on the roster here in the NLCS. So it did not look the same, nor could it be the same plan that they had against the Padres. I get it, I understand that, but I'm not quite sure. I liked the combination of this bullpen game that they had laned out one. You've got Landon Knack as your long reliever, your long inning, bulkeetning guy. Brent Honeywell also available to be your long bulkeeting guy if needed. Everybody else in the bullpen was available, depending I think on this situation. They stayed away from the high leverage relievers and they had four of them to use. Dave Roberts even said they needed one of the bulgeting guys, and they elected Landonnak to be that guy, to give him three or four innings so they can then piece together the sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, innings in a game which they can use their high leverage relievers. Unfortunately, the Dodgers were in a whole six to nothing after two innings, so the plan that they had hoped for completely backfired, and that leads to a lot of second guessing as to why they elected to go with this bullpenned Bulke inning plan that.
Speaker 1: They decided to go with.
Speaker 2: It's easy to second guess right now, it's easy to say, well, things didn't go right to the first batter of the game. Francisco Lindor Homward, Well, things certainly fell apart from Land and Neck, who struggled in the second inning. And he didn't just struggle with this command. He struggled with the confidence on the mound. He looked like a young man that was out there like a deer in headlights against the New York Mets. Off single, a walk, two batters later, a double on an O two curveball. You cannot leave over the plate to Tyrone Taylor, and it's a two to nothing game. Two batters later, you intentionally walk. Francisco Lindor. I understand that with one out or with two outs, you want to get the bases loaded. You rather face Mark Viento's well in the ninth pitch of the at bat, after he has seen sliders and fouled them off, he has seen fastballs and fouled them off. You throw a ninety five mile an hour fastball right over the heart of the plate and he crushes it, and the spirits of lend and neck crushed as well. In that second inning, he'd go back out for the third dance around after a couple of hits and a walk to load the bases, gets out of it with the fly ball to center field. That could have been worse, but the Dodgers found themselves in a hole, down six to nothing at that point. The Dodgers go to Anthony Bonda, then Brent Honeywell for three innings and the game stays at six to nothing before the Dodgers chip away with the home run from Muncie and the two run single from Tommy Emmon. It's a six to three game. It's within reach. They could have busted it open, tied the game. It had a one run game in the sixth and didn't get the hit from kiy k In the seventh, Otani on first with one out again an opportunity to start chipping away more. At a three run deficit, you're within reach and they can't get the hit in the eighth, second and third two outs, a base hit makes it a one run game, maybe an extended inning if Key k can deliver. He popped out inning and over, and then the ninth inning, way at Gardo Henriquez goes back out there and walks Pete Alonzo and then just completely forgets he's there, and Pee Alonzo steals second base and then scores, of course on Starley Marte's single to make what it was a three run game and a deficit. You can you can, you can chase, and you know, you can feel pretty good about getting those three runs. All of a sudden, it's a four run deficit the Dodgers today, it just felt that the whole game. I don't know if it's the early start. I don't know if it's because they fell behind early. The crowd certainly was not what it was in Game one last night, and was certainly not what it was in Game five of the NLDS on Friday night. It was close to a sellout crowd, maybe announced as a sellout, who knows, but certainly not loud, not into it like they were the last two games Friday and Sunday, and the Dodgers at the plate swinging at.
Speaker 1: Pitches out of the zone.
Speaker 2: I mean Steven Nelson hit it on the head when he said, this feels like a game mid season. This feels like a day game on a getaway day in July where you're just playing it out hoping to get on a plane and start a road trip after that. They wouldn't didn't feel like there was a sense of urgency.
Speaker 1: I feel like, hey, we're down one nothing.
Speaker 2: We got to put up a zero in this second uh oh, wheels foul off for land and neck and just left them out there and send them back out to the third, in which he had another basis loaded situation. The game can't get out of hand. You have to win this game. You fall behind, you have to keep it as close as possible in order to prevent a blowout. Because how many times can a team come back from a five, six run deficit.
Speaker 1: You can't ask that all the time.
Speaker 2: It's tough in us asking a team to constantly be coming back after trailing one nothing after the first half inning, which the Dodgers have had to do a lot of I don't know if sense of urgency is the right way to put it. It just didn't feel like today there was the sense of we need to get this win.
Speaker 1: We dominated Game one nine to nothing.
Speaker 2: Flairty put up zeros, and we beat up on the Mets and did everything right. They played bad defense. We put the pressure on them. We got game one. It's just gonna happen again in Game two. They're just gonna roll over.
Speaker 1: In Game two. We're just gonna have set a major.
Speaker 2: League record for scoreless consecutive innings thirty three straight going in.
Speaker 1: We'll set it in the first inning. Ryan Braze will do that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna win again, big, We're gonna put up numbers on the scoreboard. We're gonna take it to nothing. Lead into City Field, the chance to sweep this series. I heard Dodger talk last night. Oh, we're gonna sweep this series, David. Oh, this series is over. Oh the Mets aren't even gonna show up.
Speaker 1: They're done. Their run is over.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Lead off home run five runs in the second. They put the pressure on the Dodgers, whose top five hitters were zero for nineteen with nine strikeouts. Win all five hits coming from hitters six, seven, eight to nine.
Speaker 1: That's a problem.
Speaker 2: When you hit a home run, but it's a solo home run, that's not a lot to chip away with. When Tommy Edmonds got three of your five hits in this baseball game, that's a problem the bottom of the lineup coming through.
Speaker 1: But where's the top of the lineup?
Speaker 2: A big game in which the Dodgers needed to score runs and had chances. Yeah, as bad as the start was today, as flat as that stadium was today, down six to nothing, all of a sudden, it's a six to three game in the sixth inning and the basers are loaded with one out.
Speaker 1: They're a hit away from.
Speaker 2: Either tying, taking a lead, making it a one run game, making a two run game, and passing the baton. They didn't get the hit they needed. They had a chance in the seventh, they had a chance in the eighth. They had their opportunities one for nine with runners in scoring position, ten runners left on base.
Speaker 1: It was a day in which just felt like the.
Speaker 2: Atmosphere, the starting pitching, landing knacks performance, the dabilly of the Dodgers to get a hit when they needed it, string together hits, the top of the line of Showyotani.
Speaker 1: Swinging to pitches two feet out of the zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, drew his walks, but don't look now, Showeyotoni is still oh for the postseason.
Speaker 1: With nobody on base.
Speaker 2: He's driving in runs when guys are on base, but when they're not setting the table in front of him, teams are pitching around him, either drawing walks like he did two of them, or they're telling show.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're not gonna throw you a pitch. Here.
Speaker 2: Here's a sweeper two feet out of the zone. Swing at it if you want, you're gonna get yourself out. Here's a fastball up in the zone, questionable whether it's a strike, swings through it strike three, then takes a fastball down the middle because he doesn't see what's coming. It was a bad day at the ballpark today for the Dodgers. It was a disastrous game too of this NLCS. And the topper to me was Pete Alonzo stealing second base off in Gardo Henriguez and then Starling Marte a single up the middle, and Pete Alonso, who if me and him get in a race, I don't know, man, I think I'm head to have with Pete Alonzo in a race. He scores from second and makes it a four run deficit. Man, this is one that the Dodgers just let get away, and I felt like there was no sense of urgency to try to get it back. It felt like we're just gonna run a lineup out there. We're gonna run pitchers out there in a bullpen game and just see what happens.
Speaker 1: Hey, roll the dice. We win this one. Great, we don't win it. Hey, we're going to the city field.
Speaker 2: We got Walker, Bueller and Yamamoto to pitch yet another bullpen game to come on Friday. The lack of starting pitching has reared its ugly head and it is a glaring issue right now, a glaring issue. And Landon Nak I feel bad for great young man has pitched his butt off when needed this season and called upon. Has pitched once in the last fifteen days, and that was in relief in the NLDS in a blowout win in San Diego, in that bullpen game in the ninth inning, and you ask him to come in and do the bulk innings, and again he looked like a deer in headlights out there from the get go, a leadoff single, a walk, first two batters reach base, and then there's just all downhill after that. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Let's go out to the phones, Tony in La. Start things off here on postgame Dodger Talk. This series has tied at a game apiece after the Mets winning seven to three.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Tony.
Speaker 3: Doing great? I think he crushed it. I was just wondering where.
Speaker 4: Dave Assay was.
Speaker 3: I thought he did a good job last night responding to the calls. And also the other thing, was it just me or was there like a serious East Coast bias from those Fox announcers, like lots of joy when the Mets went up, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate the phone call, Tony. David Vessay is popping on the plane right now. He is our embedded Dodger reporter and is traveling with the team, and the team is leaving right now. The team is getting on the bus headed to Lax and they are flying back to New York right now and ahead of Game three, four and five at City Field on Wednesday night, they'll fly there, get there in the middle of the night. East Coast time. Have a workout tomorrow night at City Field, late again because it's at eight o'clock first pitch on Wednesday, So I'll have all day tomorrow to rest and sleep and enjoy the Queens New York or wherever they're staying in anticipation for Game three, four and five. Your other question about the bias of the TV announcers, no clue, I'm not listening to him. I love Joe Davis and John Smolds, they do a great job, but I'm not listening to him. I got Steven Nelson and Rick Monday right here on five seven d LA Sports. I will say, no matter if it's Joe Davis or Joe Buck, they have every time people criticizing them.
Speaker 1: You don't like my.
Speaker 2: Team, you like the other team too much, and then one team scores. Oh I thought you liked my team, Now you like this team. They can't win. They cannot win. I know Joe Davis calls the games on sports in at LA, and so when every time the Dodgers score, people actually have looked in. I looked on social media and people have actually analyzed his voice. Does he get too excited on a call or not excited on a call and it's dissected ridiculously so. But again, I don't know, I wasn't listening. Of course, I'm listening of course, Steven Nelson and Rick Monday here on FI seventy, LA Sports Ken and Newport Beach Ken. This was one the Dodgers just kind of felt like went through the motions.
Speaker 5: Well, coming off of yesterday where it was very happy, I'm pretty angry today. Let's just go to the interview that Dave Roberts could when Nack was getting crushed. Ge, Dave, there's not one hundred and sixty two games left, there's only a few If he's getting crushed after the third bat or why didn't you pull in You've still got people in the bullpen, no reason? Six runs later. There you go. Now, let's talk about some of the hitting. O' tian has struck out eleven times in this series. You mentioned the first five guys are over nineteen. Okay, Let's talk about the guy batting fifth who's hitting under one hundred and the second after the season hitting under two hundred. Why is Smith still batting in the fifth position. Clearly he's not all there. Clearly he's the worst hitter in the entire playoffs. Put him down to eighth or ninth when that makes sense. And then the final thing is it didn't make a difference. But they're down by three and they bring in a guy who is a single A pitcher. He wasn't in the double A, he wasn't in triple A. He didn't even look at the guy at first base who basically walked to second for the steal to give up a run. These things don't make sense. And this is the reason eight of the nine years the Dodgers get beat because of bad pitching choices. And it's really really angry. They can win at least one of those games in New York, and that's the hottest team in the major leagues. That's they're going up against. Very unhappy today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you, Ken, I'm scratching my head on a lot of decisions that were made this afternoon. It's easy to second guess, but I just don't. I don't understand the decision in this Bullpenn game to rely on land and neck as much as you were. But as soon as it does go south and he doesn't have it, you've got to limit the damage you have to cut the cord on Land and Neck and get somebody else in there, whether it's Brent Honeywell to continue as a bulkening guy. He did a really good job in the three innings that he pitched, no runs, one hit, two strikeouts. Certainly was a different situation when he came in the fifth inning it was a six to nothing game. But if it's a two nothing or three nothing game, whatever it is, when you pull Land and Neck and you go to Brett Honeywillet, maybe he gets out of it, pitches the second, the third, and gets you to the fourth inning, and then you can start bringing in relievers out of that and maybe you start chipping away. It's a different game, the result is different. The storyline starts to play out differently than it did leaving land and Neck out there to give up the six runs, and to me, it just felt like he was out there on an island all by himself, and I can't that's the plan to go to land and Neck for bulkinting. It's a guy you've used once in the last two weeks. This not fell to land and Neck by any means. I mean, he was out there like a lamb to slaughter. It's just the Mets just took it to him and they were all over his fastball. They were fouling off pitches, waiting for another fastball or a slider just to be hanging there, and they took advantage of it, and Mark Biento's crushed it for a grand slam part of that five run second inning. So I get it, VESSI has hurt. Apparently Dale Hudson was down today. You can't use the same script that you used in Game four. Nobody's asking you to use the same script like you did in Game four, because every game is different. Every lineup is certainly different. This Mets team is different than the Padres team you faced. With that being said, you couldn't put together a game plan where the high leverage guys did get in there. Maybe once you're down one nothing, Okay, you're down one nothing after the home run that Brazier gives up and the Dodgers go quietly against Seaman and I in the first right away, I'm thinking Mania's got his stuff. This is gonna be a low scoring effort from our offense today, maybe until we get to the bullpen. We've got to keep it a low scoring game. We got to keep it one nothing. We can't afford to give up zeros. So maybe I go to a higher leverage guy for the second and third inning. Maybe maybe things changed differently then and you keep it a one nothing game. Maybe it stays that way, and then you go to a land and neck in the third or fourth inning. Went once the game is evaulved a little bit, but the land and neck right away in the second inning, bulk innings, hoping he can give you.
Speaker 1: Three or four.
Speaker 2: It was either going to work really well or it wasn't, and it didn't pay out for the Dodgers. He gaus of five runs in the NIA, and the Dodgers were in a massive six nothing hole. Let's go to Leon in Beverly Hills. This next up here on postgame Dodger Talk, Mets even up this series at a game and piece, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Leon?
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks a lot for taking the call, And I wish that's say it was here to you know, reference his his arrogant feelings last night, even though I loved Dave. So the thing is that.
Speaker 3: I'd like to take your argument a step further.
Speaker 6: When you say they have to win this game, they didn't have that mentality into this game. Look Buller would have. If Bueller would have, they should have never pitched a bullpen game.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 6: Bueller goes today, he's on five days rest, Yama Moto goes the next game five days rest, Flairty the next game four days rest. Or if they don't want to do that at that point, if they're ahead in the series or whatever and they want to go bullpen, fine, but it was arrogant for them to go with a bull pan game today. And the other thing that I want to that I will that I think is really important to other things. One, what is the signal that you're sending to your team in the clubhouse to say, yeah, we're just gonna throw a bullpen bullpen game out there. Yeah we're fine, We'll wait where we got these guys. We're just gonna go bullpen game instead of going behind your bulldog Bueller, who had so much fire, he was ready to go. You could tell he pitched really well. The team would have responded differently with Bueller pitching in this game, both defensively and offensively. There's there's just no way. And then the last thing I want to point out is for fans and I didn't. I was thinking about going to this game today, Tim, but I'm like, I'm not going to a bullpen game. I'm not going to buy tickets to a bullpen game, you know, because they're not They're not going to really, First of all, it's miserable to sit through a bullpen game to like watch, you know, pitchers shuttle the in and out of the games like three and a half four hour game. But besides that, they're not in it to win it. You know, what are they doing with managing this game like it's a like you mentioned, like some sort of a regular season, mid season game. We have to win the game, Like you're you're in a seven game series in the NLCS. You gotta win this game.
Speaker 7: This is your home.
Speaker 6: You lose home homefield advantage. Where's the intensity? What are they doing?
Speaker 2: No argument from you, Leon appreciate it, Thanks for checking in. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the number. The Mets beat the Dodgers seven to three. Sham and Ya gets to win. Ryan Brasier gets tagged with the loss. The Dodgers fell behind one nothing one batter into the game on a Francisco Lindor solo home run and then the second inning a five run Mets second inning. They Dodgers were down six to nothing until the fifth, when they finally got on the board on a Max Monzy solo home run Tommy Edmond a two run single in the sixth inning, Dodgers were within three, within striking distance, but then they could not get the big hits in the sixth, the seventh, the eighth, and then things fell apart in the ninth inning, Starling Marte and RBI single to make it a seven to three Mets lead. And that was all she wrote. As the Mets defeat the Dodgers seven to three. All the momentum and the nine to nothing win. What Jack Flaherty did last night has really gone out the window now that the Mets come back and win Game two in the fashion they did. I mean, a bright spot of the Dodgers I guess is that you battled and you had the opportunities, you just couldn't get the base hit you needed. I mean, that's something I guess positive you can take away that you had the bases loaded one out. It had a chance to make it a tie game, a one run game, a two run game. If it's an RBI single from Kik Instead he grounds into a double play. It's again the seventh inning, an opportunity with shoey o'tani on can't score run, the seventh opportunity, the eighth inning with runners on second and third and two outs, a base hit, and all of a sudden, it's a six to five game. And it could be a different ending for this Dodgers team. Maybe they put together a couple more hits and they tie it up in the eighth inning, take the lead, go to the ninth and win it. You know, things could have shook it out differently for this Dodgers team. As it is, they go one for nine with runners in scoring position, ten runners left on base. So maybe that's a positive. Maybe it's a positive that the top five hitters were a combined zero for nineteen with nine strikeouts, and it won't get any worse than that. Maybe that's rock bottom in this nsc NLCS is the Dodgers hitters at the top of the lineup don't get a hit. Otani, Betts, Ta Oscar, Freddie Freeman, Will Smith, zero hits from the top five Dodger hitters. Zero RBIs from the top five Dodger hitters. They combined to strikeout nine times in this game, and the Dodgers lose seven to three. Kyle in orders, Actually, Manny, Manny leaving the game has been waiting longer. Manny appreciate it. Thanks for joining us here on Dodger Talking.
Speaker 8: Hey Tim, what's going on? Bought a ticket for a game the day or the night before the Padres game five, so I was confident going in. And after seeing Jack Flerty throw a gem or I'm sorry, Yoshi Nobu throw a gem in Flerty Game one, I was certain. I was sold that walker Billy was coming out because it made the perfect sentence, and we got a bulleting game, which I wasn't too mad about. But the three things that you kept mentioning today, I gotta just chime into zero sense of urgency. Just we didn't score until the sixth inning. How could you get the crowd going? Talk about crowd and being into it. There's no run until the six inning, and this is off a grand slam coming back into the second inning. I feel like if they don't have that second inning, we're in this game. And it's hard in the playoffs to mix things up. Right away. But the whole thing now, we're going to New York for three tough games, and we're gonna have to show up. We're gonna take at least two out of three to be back in So I'm not giving up yet though, Tim die hard.
Speaker 2: No, the series is tied up one game at piece Manny, and you know it's now an opportunity for the Dodgers. They need to go to New York and steal one of these three games at City Field to bring it home for a chance to win it at home in Game six or Game seven. But or just take care of business, go out and win a couple of games, win all three in New York, and come back after five games.
Speaker 1: But it's gonna be tough. The Mets put up.
Speaker 2: A fight in game two. You know, reading the New York papers this morning, it was all doom and gloom. They were really getting after the Mets for losing nine to nothing in the series opener last night to the Dodgers. And you know, sixteen hours later they come back out and they score six runs in their first two winnings. First batter of the game hits a home run. Things can change quickly. A tide can turn very quickly on a team. Momentum can swing very easily in the game of baseball. We've seen that from last night to today, and certainly could change in Games three, four, and five, which will be back to back to back games three days in a row in New York beginning on Wednesday eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy. More of your phone calls coming up. Mets win Game two of the NLDS today NLCS excuse me, seven to three to the final. Seaman and I gets to win. Ryan Brasier gets the loss. Dodgers won for nine with runners in scoring position. They were in a hole, had a chance to get out of it, just couldn't get the hit they needed late in the game. Mets win at seven to three. Right here on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network seventy LA Sports AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 9: Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk all of those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: We're streaming online. We stream every game too.
Speaker 9: Come find me back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: You need to make him work. He's got sixty one pitches.
Speaker 2: The Mets bullpin isn't very deep and it is tax so you want to get going. Max Mounsey charges up right field, Max Monseys max power halfway up the pavilion, a solo.
Speaker 1: Home run, and finally the Dodgers breakthrough Max Munsey with a solo home run in the fifth.
Speaker 2: They got the Dodgers on the board, but unfortunately they follow the New York Mets sevent to three. Daniels Jewelers, the official sponsor of the trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniels Jeweler's location, say home run for your free team bracelet and a fifty dollar gift card towards any purchase of ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Dollars or more.
Speaker 2: Daniel's Jewelers own the Dream. I got a tweet from somebody who said Tim Knack was the starter. Dave Roberts just didn't want to put pressure on Nack with the title, so Nack was supposed to eat innings while Roberts can keep his high leverage guys still unexposed going into New York. It was a gamble that I thought was a good one, considering this is a seven game series. All right, I respect your take, I respect what you have to say, and I appreciate the follow and the tweet.
Speaker 1: I disagree.
Speaker 2: What are you saving the high leverage relievers for Games three, four, and five? How many of those high leverage relievers you've got four? From Doc said, we've got four high leverage relievers. Are all four of those guys gonna be able to pitch Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. There's not many of those guys that pitch three days in a row during the regular season, let alone you're gonna ask to pitch three days a row in October, where they've got all these innings already on them. Last night, Jack Flaherty, Coline and I was just were talking about this. He brought up a great point. Jack Flerity, pitched seven innings.
Speaker 1: Last night for you.
Speaker 2: You use Daniel Hudson, and you use Ben Casparius. Your entire rest of your bullpen was available today. Why are we saving high leverage relievers? Why are we not treating this as a must win Game two? Take a two zero series lead to New York and put all the pressure on them. They came out swinging, They came out as the team fighting and scratching to win this game two and get that sour taste out of their mouth from Game one. The Dodgers treated this game, in my opinion, like we got one of the bag. We got Walker, Bueler and Yamamoto for three and four. Let's throw out the bullpen and we'll probably score nine again. Right, our offense is that good?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 2: Your offense top five went zero for nineteen and nine punch outs. They didn't perform for you. You had only five hits in the game, didn't score until the fifth inning on a solo home run. The offense wasn't there, and now you're relying upon a bullpen game in which things got away from you quickly and you stayed away from your high leverage guys. Again again, this was a one o'clock first pitch. You don't play again until eight o'clock Eastern on Wednesday night. You got forty eight plus hours, right, it's forty eight hours, two days, forty.
Speaker 1: Eight hours until you play a game three.
Speaker 2: That's more rest than they're gonna see the rest of this series. Why not use these guys today, Go for it, push the chips in for a game to win with your high leverage guys put up zeros, keep it close, and hopefully the offense was gonna get to Manaiah they got to the bullpen, they still had a shot to win it, even though they were losing six to three, and then have a day off tomorrow, pretty much all day Wednesday, you're off until eight o'clock Eastern an early game today. That's the long window between now and Wednesday night. That's a good chunk of rest for you and your bullpen. And let's say maybe a couple of the high leverage guys aren't a albow on Wednesday, Well, then in their rail they're ready to go on Thursday and Friday.
Speaker 1: For you, I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: Your high leverage guys didn't get used last night and today, great, so now they're gonna be so well rested on Wednesday that you feel comfortable using them Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in three straight games.
Speaker 1: No, hasn't happened during the regular season. Just doesn't.
Speaker 2: And this is a bullpen that's been taxed and used a lot. This was an opportunity that was set up last night by Flairty. Seven shutout innings and the window of a day game and not playing until late Wednesday night that you could have.
Speaker 1: Used those high leverage guys.
Speaker 2: And even if things get away from Nack, you know, to me, to me a one nothing game already right away. I'm scrapping the plans of land and Nack one nothing game after one inning, and MANI the way he looked in the first inning, I'm going with my hell, I'm going with my high leverage. I'm going with somebody that can go up there and get Bonda for two innings. If Bonda was gonna give you two today anyways, make him go out there and pitch two and three. Have one of my high end relievers go out there and make sure they don't put more runs on after they did in the first thing like they did. Make sure you have a stopper there in some capacity to put up a zero in the second.
Speaker 1: Stop the momentum, try to get.
Speaker 2: A zero put up in the third, and hopefully your offense will get jump started and get something going for you. Instead, Landon that comes in and gives up five runs and just did not have any feel for it out there, And I feel bad for them, but it happened, and the Dodgers were in a massive hole.
Speaker 1: And now you really.
Speaker 2: Aren't going to go to your high leverage relievers because of the situation that you're in. So now you're just resting your high leverage relievers for a three game series now at City Field Wednesday, Thursday Friday. It just kind of backfired to me in my opinion, and it couldn't have in the moment, a one nothing game already with the leadoff home run from the door, I'm deviating. If this is a choose your own adventure book, I'm deviating and going to a different page with a different reliever, just to make sure I put up a zero in the second inning, eight sixty six, nine seventy Kaylin leaving the game, probably already home by now, Caitlin, How.
Speaker 1: You doing.
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 11: Still driving? Thanks?
Speaker 1: Cool? So what'd you think.
Speaker 11: I told? I mean, I think you're nailing it. I would say that you're What you're hitting on is that Dave. There was no audible it was I know he's he's, you know, gathering information at the front office, and they come up with a plan, and the plan is X, Y and Z with the believers. But when you have the situation you had, how do you how do you not At least there was we were talking about in the second inning before anything happened or was you.
Speaker 3: Know, it was just the homer.
Speaker 11: It's like, we're looking over the bullpen. There's not a single person warming up. How do you have no one warming up in that situation when you know he doesn't have it, just going no, this is the plan, You got to stick with it. That's crazy to me. I've heard also one of the things when people talking about Will Smith and I know he struggled, but like he hit one hundred and ten mile an hour pitch in the seventh, thirty eighth whatever that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 11: Mean he nailed. That's a hit in that's a ninety percent of pitch of ex velocity like that our hits.
Speaker 7: So I'm not you know, he's.
Speaker 11: Been he hasn't produced, but you're still hitting the ball hard and he hit it hard there and that's usually a hit. We'd be talking a different story if he got on bass there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope he comes through.
Speaker 11: But really, I think you're nailing it. I think you're nailing it. I can't believe there was nobody warming up in that situation. He didn't have his explanation was crazy to be like well, we're you know, he's got to pitch at some point. Is basically what Dave said about Nat. He's got to pitch at some point because of the Vetty injury and because of Hudson being unavailable. And it's like, well, okay, why doesn't he pitch it later? Why do you? And if you're going to pitch him, you should have somebody ready. I just I think that's crazy to me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I can't argue with you, Cale, And I appreciate the phone call. Well, Dake leaving Dodger Stadium, Dike, how you doing.
Speaker 4: We got DAGs dad to start off here. I'm coming up first. We got positive vibes and negative vibes. It was a great night out of the stadium, really temperate weather. Dake's dad starting off here. Key k had a couple big boy opportunities to get it going as he's, you know, getting the low key mister October vibe going. And yeah, it was a really fun game. And I got negative stuff to say, but I guess just to keep the positive vibes.
Speaker 11: Going, I get.
Speaker 4: The last negative thing I'll say is like the Dodgers found fire in the end of the Padre series. In the beginning of the Mets series, and you were like, oh, now we got this fire going and we're a fire team. And then today was like a real deflation. So, Dake, do you want to do you want to give some positive vibes to counteract that after one of the games today, come on positivity.
Speaker 12: And shout out for Tommy and then for the beautiful hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Well, and what do you think of the pitching?
Speaker 12: The pitching was good, but one guy, he thinks and he who was grand plans landing.
Speaker 4: Up a grand stand. But other than that, I guess you could say that we only let up.
Speaker 1: One run, right, Yeah, yeah, you're right, Dave, You're right, Dake.
Speaker 2: Bonda came out pish well, honeywell gave him three solid innings. Great to hear from you, Dake. Pretty soon you're gonna be sitting in this chair doing Dodger talk. I can't wait till that day comes, man, I would be calling it to you, Dake. I appreciate the phone call and talking Dodgers baseball with you. So yeah, I'm on the lookout. I got Dake running down my neck here, you know, gonna take my job. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two, five seventy, Let's go to Ryder in Santa Clarita's next up here on postgame Dodger Talk. Dodgers all even with the Mets after losing seventy three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it was a tough loss, but.
Speaker 12: Yeah, good viewers, A big game pitcher Dodges in five.
Speaker 1: Let's go Baby, All right, let's go baby.
Speaker 2: Love the enthusiasm. Rider appreciate the phone call. Eight six seventy. Oscar and Baldwin Park is next up on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Oscar?
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm gonna try to keep it positive. I'll say, let's this was a piece of crack game. They got out of their system for this series. Man, all day I heard it on the radio.
Speaker 4: Man and fire haven't heard it all day.
Speaker 7: My workman took my little radio with me on jobs.
Speaker 4: They heard it all day.
Speaker 7: I thought the frustration of the crowd. I was here. I was feeling it. I just see I wasn't seeing. I was feeling it and hearing it. Man, the top of the line lineup was a lifeless.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 7: I don't know what what what's going? Maybe you gotta shake it up a little.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not gonna panic either.
Speaker 7: It's this one game. I think they go in to get the billy go came uh three tomorrow they backs up to one then go from there. But I don't know, man, maybe the start time the mess bully needed this game. You know, maybe I is there to an NBA playoff game. You know sometimes all the Lake, the Lakers get game one and they can get blown out in game two and lose it. It just goes, you know, just hopefully just humbles it. You know, it seems like the Dodgers need to be humbled to kind of respond. You know that they always respond good. You gotta give them that. They were always response to to the challenge. Though it's just one game. Yeah, this is let's just get it out. Everybody has the right to be pissed off. But it's just one game, man, and Bill's going to game three, So.
Speaker 1: Go right on, Oscar. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's gonna be key. Is how do they respond to this, you know, Wednesday night? How do they come out? Do they have that fire in their bellies still? They're gonna go into a Hornets nest? Uh that is city feel that place is gonna be rocking. They guy finally got a home game in the National League Championship Series. They steal a game at Dodgers Stadium. You know, they're gonna be fired up whoever whoever they have on the mound pitching, you know, whether it's Kintana, whoever. They're gonna be ready to go, and the fans are gonna be ready to go. And it's gonna be an atmosphere in which the Dodgers need to come out and match that intensity in Game three on Wednesday night. Kyle and Orange is next up here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Kyle, I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing good, tim Thank for having me.
Speaker 10: I wanted to talk a little bit, you know, I know where you're talking a lot, and I think you're nailing.
Speaker 4: It about the pitching.
Speaker 10: You know, I think this was while the bullpen has been fantastic, you know, they they tied that record for a reason.
Speaker 3: I think tonight, you know.
Speaker 10: Dave Roberts, I think he managed the bullpen fantastically, but I think tonight was a rough night. But I want to talk about specifically the bench. Something I was I'm just actually driving home from the game. I was thinking about the bench feels so thin. I mean, you know, we had Taylor in starting for one game and we had four strikeouts. Paw Haz comes in and fortunately he had a hit in the ninth but didn't turn into anything.
Speaker 3: And for the rest of the game tonight.
Speaker 4: Paw Haz was kind of blanked.
Speaker 10: And that leaves you know, a couple of guys on the bench, and I'm thinking about Barnes, I'm thinking about Lux. I know Luck didn't start tonight because of the lefty matchup, but I just am you know, I think that the Detroit Tigers, you know, they got eliminated, but I think they showed a really good point that when you have a deep bench, you can really do a lot with your lineup. And I think the Dodgers need to think a little bit about how are we going to utilize this bench. You know, when your first five batters struggle so much and go oh for nineteen with nine strikeouts, I think it is fair to pull a guy like Monty, to pull a guy like Freddie who is battling an injury, to pull a guy like Smith and put in Barns, put in Lucks, put in someone because you know, there comes a time where I get it. These guys are paid the money for a reason, and these are our guys. But there are guys on the bench who can put up a bit of a battle for this pitching staff, who has seen the same nine guys this whole game for nine innings. I think that the Dodgers need to take advantage of the fact that we have a lot of players who are able to come in and give a different look. And I just, you know, I think it needs to be stated that even though our top five guys are our guys, someone else has got to come in and put up a little bit of a fight when they're not coming in and you know, putting up the bat.
Speaker 6: That we really need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get what you're saying. I appreciate the phone call, Kyle. I don't know if the Dodgers bench is at this point. I'm bringing Chris Taylor off the bench to bat for anybody, whether Will Smith is won for the postseason or not. And guys were struggling at the play like they were today against Sean andya, I think I still stuck with those guys rather than go to Chris Taylor off the bench in this NLCS. Did you happen to see what was in the Dodger dugout after the top half of the fifth inning.
Speaker 1: It was a snake.
Speaker 2: It was a garter snake that was crawling on this top step of the Dodgers dugout. And when Brent Honeywell and Will Smith came off the field after the top half of the fifth inning, they came down and were about to take a step, and Brent Honeywell Junior looked down and pointed and said, snake.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was a garter snake in.
Speaker 2: The Dodger dugout, Dodgers' training staff facilities, game management. I don't know who it was, the ground screw. Somebody came over, got a towel, grabbed it and took it away. But man, there was a snake in the dugout. Here's Brent Honeywell Junior afterwards talking about it.
Speaker 7: Have you ever seen a snake in the dug out or story like that.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 8: I was hoping it was a rally snake, and it kind of We turned a rally around right after that. But I don't know, just something to get the boys moving a little bit different than everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it was a rally snake, not a rattlesnake, A rally snake for the Dodgers because they did get a maximun see a home run to make it a six to one game, and then the next thing you need Tommy mend two run single to make it a six to three game. Maybe they can keep the snake and kind of put it in a cage or like, you know, a glass, you know, a little house, and keep it and maybe just keep it in the dugout with them. You know, guys have different things they put on after a home run, a cape or whatever. That could be the rally snake, and they can take it with them. And when you hit a home run, you got to grab the snake and put it around your neck or something. It's not like a big bowl or nothing, or a rattle snake. It's just a little, tiny, little garter snake. There's only a by I don't know, maybe eighteen inches long.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I hate snakes, so keep those things away from me. And there was no way I'm picking that snake up. If I work for the grounds crew at Dodger Stadium and they're like, hey, Kate's go get that snake in the dugout, I'm like, no, fire me. I'm not grabbing that snake. I am not touching it, but somebody did and they took it out of the dugout. The biggest question is how did nobody see it slithering across the top step of the dodger dugout?
Speaker 1: Where did it come from? Where did it peek its head out of?
Speaker 2: How did it garter snake end up in the dodger dugout today? How did nobody see this thing slithering over? And where was it just chilling all day?
Speaker 6: All of a.
Speaker 2: Sudden it comes out and it's there by the top step.
Speaker 1: Did Dave Robers not see it crawl by its.
Speaker 2: Feet as he sits there towards the steps there on the near side of the dugout. Did the hitting coaches who all stand there by the well by the camera well not see it? Brent Honeywell Junior had a spot the snake walking off the field. And that's a scary situation. Snakes in the dugout. You gotta be kidding me. I apologize if we didn't get to you. We'll have another show tomorrow morning. Sax and Kate's in the am, starting bright in early at six am.
Speaker 1: We will dissect this game. Two.
Speaker 2: We will dissect it piece by piece, anybody inning pitcher by pitcher, and take your phone calls as well at eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy.
Speaker 1: But that's it for postgame Dodger Talk. Thanks to Colin Ye.
Speaker 2: Thanks to all you for being a part of the show, podcasting it as well. Clipper pregame with Adam Auslin live from the Intuit Dome in Englewood for the very first time. Is coming up next Clipper's preseason Buckle up.
Speaker 1: Get ready? Are you excited?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know you are.
Speaker 2: Until next time, solo, everybody,