Speaker 1: Callaroga.
Speaker 2: Shark Media are Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. Good feisty one today, a lot of fighting I always like that, and a reminder I'll have episodes all through the holiday weekend. I'm planning on recording them all right now. If my voice holds out, I've got one of those old fashioned colds that we used to get before COVID, remember those, I've got one. But I've written all the weekend scripts. A lot to tell you about, including a lengthy Anthony Jeslnick article in Cracked that I've shared in the Facebook group Daily Comedy News Podcast group. Please feel encouraged to join us. Let's start with Dave Chappelle, an article in the San Francisco Gate byline by Dan Gentille. I believe Dan has a little history with Dave, which he writes about in the piece. Dan writes, so someone who has covered Chappelle extensively, to the point where the comic briefly made my stories a part of his act. Chappelle was at the Paramount Theater on Saturday night. He writes, A look like Dave was poised to go into grievance mode, leaning into his heel persona one fan behind me in line outside the venue remarked that he was hoping we'd hear the old Dave Chappelle, and at first it didn't seem like it. Chappelle, who has banned cell phones. We've talked about that, apparently want a step further. This time. You weren't allowed to bring pens or notebooks.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Dan writes, three different security guards disarmed him from his journalistic weaponry. The fact that I was on assignment didn't dissuade them, no media at all. They said, Dave, dude, this is not going to help you. This is not going to help you. Dave Chappelle, This is not going to help you. You do not want the media to turn on you, Dave Chappelle. I am warning you lovingly. You don't want the media to turn on you. After briefly you're visiting the Netflix controversy, Chappelle turned to politics, noting that the transgender community will be nostalgic for his jokes once Donald Trump actually begins taking action. But aside from a couple non sequitor slurs throughout the night and a callback involving the state of Gaza, Chappelle kept the promise he made it at the end of the closure that he was done making trans jokes. Interesting note here, Dan Wrights. Those who have seen Chapelle live had heard most of this material. He shared a bit about San Francisco needing a batman with a punchline about teaching the homeless community the thriller dance. But unlike in the past we spoke about SF, this time it felt much more affectionate. Throughout the night, he peppered the set with compliments to the Bay Area, noting that after Chappelle' show ANDed, he spent most of his time in San Francisco. Now, this next section has leaked out before. Despite the ban on pins, I mean, what are they gonna do? I mean, you could smuggle some coal in your crotch and right on your arm. You're not gonna be able to stop this. Dave Chappelle spoke about the twenty four presidential election, saying the whites are back. Chappelle reiterated his support for the Democratic ticket, saying he didn't believe in celebrity endorsements, but that he voted for Kamala Harris. He also talked about how he knows Elon Musk and thought it was a stupid idea by Twitter, but boy was he wrong. Dave joked about that they're eating the cats and said he drove to a Haitian restaurant daily in support and he didn't know what the meat was, but it sure did fall off the bone. That is a quality joke. Dan writs, I'm happy he gave critics breath. The sees me nothing to complain about. It was a pretty great show. Chappelle and relaxed storyteller mode. No punching down, no knife twisting, no dying on hills of bad opinions. He seems subdued, empathetic. The old Chappelle. Anthony Jelsinick is the guest on this week's Mark meron a very good listen, Such a good listen. I went through the extra step of actually pulling the audio clip Number one here Mike's Anthony Jelsinick quit stand up Eventually.
Speaker 1: If I'm done with stand up, I might leave. I might maybe Chicago.
Speaker 3: Done with stand up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you you think that way? Because I think in terms of the hour. So if I'm like, I don't have another hour in me, then I'm done.
Speaker 3: I know, But don't you feel that after every hour?
Speaker 1: I not really like halfway through this hour after this tour, I was like, this might be it. And then as I finish, I'm like, you know what, what if I do it again? Like, wouldn't that be great? And this is my fifth one now. Yeah, so I'm like, if I could do a sixth, you know what would that look like? And that's fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: It seems neither comedian is a fan of what Joe Rogan is doing these days. Maren discusses whether or not he would play at the Mothership.
Speaker 3: People are like, would you ever do the Mothership? I wouldn't even think about it. But I don't have any reason to perform for those guys. How much do I have to hate myself? But I imagine you have some crossover.
Speaker 1: Sure. I went toward the Mothership because I knew Curtis, the guy who was running the place at the time, from the store he went over there. Yeah, yeah, I was doing I was doing a couple of shows on a Sunday and I went over there for a tour. Yeah, And I was like, this place is beautiful, it's great, it's set up as a great comedy club, but it's too easy. Yeah, you know, it's like you can't fail there.
Speaker 3: I could.
Speaker 1: They just want to hear like the bad words. I'm sure they would be so happy to see you there that you would destroy. Yeah. I can't imagine Joe Rogan's ever had a bad set.
Speaker 3: At that comedy club because they're also they're happy to be part of the thing.
Speaker 2: And an interesting take here from Anthony J. Justinic about playing arenas.
Speaker 1: I don't know why people go to arenas to see bands. It's exactly a terrible way to see anything. I get why the comics want to do it. I don't understand how. I don't understand a Madison Square Garden has become this like this new club like I got to do I was lucky enough to do uh not Sydney Opera House, so we've not got to do that too. But Carnegie Hall. Yeah, I was so happy. Yeah I did that. And I go and they're like, the next time you come to the New York Comedy Festival, well have you do Madison Square Garden? Yeah? And I was like, why do I give up about Madison Square? Like this is what this is the it for me. Carnegie is the coolest place I could be in and it was amazing. I loved it. That like, not from now on, I want to do just like nicer theaters. Yeah, you know, I don't ever want to do an arena ever, but that's a nice theater. Is is a lot of fun for me.
Speaker 2: I mentioned at the top. There's a lengthy interview with Anthony in Cracked. I've shared the link in the Facebook group Daily Comedy News podcast group. Jessa Nixt said, even in my set now, if there's one joke that's way too hardcore, and that's okay. I just don't want to do a set full of that. But it's nice to know the audience thinks that could happen at any time. I feel great. It's a weird place to be in because I did this tour for two years or recorded in April. I'm one of those guys you could either watch a special a million times and edit and perfect it. We can watch it twice and say get out of here. I can't look at it again, and I'm the latter. Johnny Mack is the same way. What's the line perfect is the enemy of good? Something like that. I alsolect the general pattern quote A pretty good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan. Next week. Sometimes you just got to hit publish. Jesslink says a morning that I can't do these jokes anymore. I just had a great run in Europe though, so much fun. I'm excited for the special to get out there and see what the public thanks doing the show for two years. It's people buying a ticket and coming to see it. But when you're just checking on Netflix and you don't give a hoot, that's when you really find out how good it is. And I'm excited for that. I'll find out if I've ruined people's thanksgivings a lot more with jessin Nick and not in Tomhrow's episode, but starting on Friday again. The full article there is in the Facebook group. I have to remember to watch James Acaster. As I talked about over the weekend, HBO stopped releasing things at ten pm on Saturday night. Not a good time, Tuesday night good time. There seems to be some sort of beef happening. I'll source Vulture here, and I have to make sure I understand it. Kendrick Lamar dropped an album and apparently took a shot at comedians. I believe mister Lamar has a line about making Cat Williams proud. Kendrick then raps, don't let no white comedian talk about no black woman. That's law. He does not specify which white comedian he's referring to. Vulture speculates it could be Gary Owen, possibly Matt Rife, but people seem to believe it's Andrew Schultz. On the July seventeenth episode of Andrew's podcast, he made a few jokes about his guest description of a black girlfriend effect, in which a non black man, quoting Vulture here, dates a black woman and adopts a new style fade haircutting beard. Schultz at that time said they grow the beard because they need a cushion when they get slapped clip. When viral online the guests apologize, Schultz refused to apologize. Live streamer Academics said he was speaking to Schultz. Apparently, Schultz may have said, is this guy too woke to un stand a joke? We'll keep an eye on that one, hey, Just for laughs, announce their dates for July. We get to go back to Montreal July sixteenth to the twenty seventh. Super awesome to see that one coming back. And they're bringing back the annual Comedy pro Conference, and I'm looking forward to see who they announce. Let's stop off on gossip Corner from the Modesto Bee. Bill Burr was in town, The Modesto Bee says in one post, Bill Burr records himself in front of our iconic arch as he declares that all towns should have something like it. Burr reads the motto water wealth, contentment Health, Burr says, not saying it's true, not saying I felt that one is up here. It's funny to say water health, contentment, health. And I have an f in McDonald's right next to it. Actor Jeremy Renner commented, my hometown. Another post chronicled Bill Burr's day out in Modesto. Apparently he stopped for breakfast at Good Day Lucille and he had a south By Southwest biscuit sandwich. He then checked out the Modesto Children's Museum. He took a photo with the sign for Johanna's Bail Bonds. People on the Modesto Reddit page said of the show, he killed it. He knew it was a smaller venue, so we barely stuck to a set list and ad libbed the whole time. But in the best way possible. Oh comedy newbie, I bet you he didn't you believe what you would like? Also from Gossip Corner, Adam Sandler walking around New Jersey. Boy, how exciting He took a few moments to post with the very busy Hackensack Police. They posted Hackensack pde had an amazing time providing security for Adam Sandler while he filmed this new movie Happy Gilmour too. Our officers are huge fans and we're thrilled to see the magic of Hollywood and action. Thank you Adam for bringing your talent and humor to Hackensack. Before I get letters, half my family's cops. So I don't want to think I'm anti police, but I also live in the suburbs, and I see what happens with overtime. Providing security for Adam Sandler is a cushy gig. Sorry, angin about half my Family's Cops. Friend of the Pod Jason Sinnaman wrote in The New York Times about hilarious He was on a zoom call with Craig Erwitch, the president of the Disney Television Group, who said, we're not trying to do you know, one hundred things. We're trying to do a few carefully selected things that we really believe in that I think, quite frankly helps quality control. Craig says he's open to sharing viewership data with comedians, something that Netflix has hesitated to do. Jason writes frustrated some comics who are hoping to understand their audiences for purposes of where to tour, how to negotiate their next deal. That is a major reason a lot of comedians love podcasting, by the way, so Gora has talked about that at length. Craig also promises to use old fashioned marketing muscle. We don't believe that it's just up to you, you know, the algorithm to kind of get you to the right time, in the right place. They sure push the heck out of gaff Again. I'm not sure there's any post launch buzz on the Gaff Again special, but there sure was in advance. Gaff Again on the Zoom said from a promotional standpoint, there's no comparison. I was grateful for the opportunity, but it felt more like an experiment, whereas Hulu has a twelve month to two year plan. Yeah, because they also own ABC. They also own ESPN and the Disney products, so you could very easily get Jim gaffikin on Monday Night football. I can absolutely see from an artist standpoint where that is very appealing. Burwitch was asked if you would ever program something like Dave Chappelle's The Closer, and he said, it's probably not what we would want to do. What we would consider is does it feel gratuitous and purposely hate fuller provocative or purposely controversial. Now, it would probably stay away from that. This is not to do with Disney. We want these comedies to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, and we don't feel the needs of purposely court controversy to get attention. So let's look at the list again. Zorn A garg Andrew Santino, A tail Lane, Sebastians. On that list, you're like, okay, I see what they're doing. Makes sense. That is your comedy news for today again. I got an episodes all week and for you, you have an awesome Thanksgiving. If you skip tomorrow's episode, I understand, spend some time with your family watching the football, eat some turkey. I'll be here. You can listen to two episodes on Friday. That's allowed, all right, see you tomorrow. We're not