Speaker 1: You'll be like a go me beer. Hey everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about one of the year's best games, potentially going to switch to and yet another major price increase possibly on the horizon. It's gonna be a good one though, because we've got Addie epos Vox on the show. Addie, how are you doing doing all right?
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great? Yeah, yeah, Like I said, I was telling you right before we start the show. Busy lots going on, but mostly good problems to solve, but happy to be hanging out with you. I do have an initial question to kick us off. Me and Jan are still using our goxlers with that open source interface. Now, how much time do we really have left on these things? Honestly, you're you're you're good for now.
Speaker 2: You want to change anything or make it better, and then you're gonna run into a wall.
Speaker 1: Basically, Yeah, that's that. I do get that sense that I think I keep putting it off because I'm like I if I want like this has been a nice all in one package, but I recognize its limitations and from the beginning, uh, and I'm like, if I want to do more than this, it is going to be a whole other thing I'm gonna have to get into. Uh. To be fair, that open source software solved a lot of the problems.
Speaker 2: It is great and it's really nice, super stoked. It works out of the box on my Linux rig too, Like you can just do that's just about whatever with it. But it's one of those things like when you first get to set up with the gaux Laar, you're like, this is amazing, and the second you want, you like you start getting that ear to like nitpick things and you can't fix anything.
Speaker 1: Uh Huh.
Speaker 2: You realize that it's it's built to do this one thing for this one like market, and then that's it.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yep. Absolutely So the reason I asked you that question is that's definitely a space that you spend a lot of time in, uh, streaming technology and stuff like that. What do you tell people a little bit about yourself if they're unfamiliar with epos FOS.
Speaker 2: I've been teaching people how to live stream do what we're doing and make YouTube videos for about ten years now. I've started out doing like obs tutorials, FRAPs tutorials back in the day, that kind of stuff, And so mostly I teach tech and streaming and content creation, and then I have a gaming channel where I do sometimes hopefully thoughtful thoughts on retrogaming and like contextualizing where we are now and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about the overall like ecosystem of people making content and streaming and stuff right now? It definitely seems, I guess, precarious, but it's been always been precarious. But how do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: It's a train wreck at the moment. It's one of those things where like it's reached kind of critical mass in terms of popularity mainstream appeal, and that comes with a lot of personality conflicts with you know, it used to be the inside thing for geeks or whatever, whereas now it's a lot more you get. The people that do the popularity contests in any context are very much present, and things were going great the past few years. Now with everything going on, the economics and the algorithms behind it, especially with YouTube's new leadership, are not fun at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean it was always challenging, but now it feels like it's almost actively working against a lot of people in a lot of ways. It's difficult to figure out for sure. All Right though, we got plenty to talk about, so let's explain what we do here most weekdays. I, Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert. Will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch, welcome, you can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game mess Mornings. I need to fix that air on the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube Hello YouTube, And of course a lot of people are are going to giant bomb dot com slash joined to get the ad free version. If you are having any trouble getting the ad free RSS feed, let us know you know on the discord and the forums, someone's going to be there to help you. We'll get that all sorted. But shout outs to everybody who supported us so far. We've gone independent and we're going to keep doing this thing with your help, please, all right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with. Nearly five years in PS five sales remain neck and neck with the PS four. This is from Andy Robinson over at VGC. Nearly five years into its life, PlayStation five sales remain neck and neck with its predecessor PS four, and its latest results covering the three months ending March thirty first, twenty twenty five, Sony said it's sold two point eight million that's two point eight million PlayStation five consoles for a total of eighteen point five million for the fiscal year. That is down from twenty point eight million in the previous fiscal year. That means PS five is now sold seventy seven point eight million units total since its launch in November twenty twenty, just over one million units behind where the PS four was. When you line up the life cycles, basically line up the launches there, it's about one million behind. That is, you know, statistically basically even addie. The thing here though, is Sony does predict it'll sell fewer PlayStation fives through the next fiscal year than the PS four did in the equivalent time, So it's it. They don't expect it to catch up to the PS four at this point, and obviously, I think we can point to a million reasons why, including something we're gonna have to talk about in a moment on the show, prices and price increases. I think if people were waiting on the sideline for this thing to become more affordable, well they've just given up, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I that's always the kicker with the mid the mid console life fan like refresh, the We've we've had slim consoles and pro consoles, and with the PS five we got the Pro and it did not push prices down, and I am I'm very curious how that will affect continued adoption rates with regards to like we're seeing we're finally seeing that that leap where we're not getting as many cross generation games. We're still getting a lot, but like they're finally starting to cut off finally in the tail, and I think people are going to be holding on more than ever. So I'm curious if anyone who is flexible enough in their production pipeline that maybe we're going to go exclusive for an next gen or fish gin where maybe still gonna make a PS four compatible version at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for a lot of developers, they just looked around were like, it doesn't make any sense not to make this game for PS four. It's plenty powerful for what we're doing obviously, right, we're talking about that upper etchelon. Maybe it's not the right word, but that game that probably shouldn't be compatible with the last gen, but still just doing that because it makes sense financially. Now, you know, let's go over all the caveats that are always important to put out here. The PS five was definitely supply constrained early on, so it did fall behind the PS four specifically because of that, but then it also had a huge amount of demand throughout the pandemic, so they were able to make up a lot of that during that period of time. I think another caveat worth pointing out is, you know, this is the PS five sort of boxing against itself because the Xbox is not presented much of it much in the way of competition. I think the Xbox One Series X is a very good console to use. I enjoy it, but everyone no one's going around being like, you should definitely get that instead of a PS five. When people talk about getting a console. If you're out there in the regular, regular audience and you say, what should I get, everyone's pointing you to a PS five. So there's a lot it feels that there should be like a lot of like tailwind pushing the PS five ahead, and yet it's kind of just even with the PS four. Do you think part of that is this sort of macro trend. Sure, us nerds who grew up with this stuff are showing up and we are spending a lot of money on it, and when we're a big enough audience that these corporations can't ignore us, But we're not necessarily being replaced by a lot of younger people kind of playing games in the same way we are.
Speaker 2: I really think that's it. I'll point to your own video about the Xbox price increases, where you know it's very much they are out of new people to sell consoles too, for the most part, and convincing you to upgrade over their previous version with the price increases. I think they know that it's not a compelling offer in all situations. And you mentioned like if you the Xbox versus PlayStation, if you tell a normal person buy a console, I think, honestly, for the past few years, it's just been Switch like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It's hard. It's been harder to have that conversation when you are talking to someone who wants the big bombastic on your big TV games. But realistically, like the console offering from the Switch has been so compelling at some such an affordable price that we're seeing so much shift to Switch and PC instead of Switch versus PlayStation versus Xbox. That to me, it is very impressive. With the stock shortages that we had early on, with how much like every conversation was I really want to PlayStation five and I cannot find one that it caught up as much as they did. Like that, that speaks a lot to not only was the demand there, but they kept people like fed enough that they kept coming back. They didn't just go elsewhere. And maybe that speaks to how not compelling the Xbox offering was was that people could not get PlayStations and they just waited until they could. And I think people still waiting, like you said, for the for the price to drop, especially with the Pro coming out, you kind of would expect it to happen. You're not getting that, and the Pro is just not where people are going to buy a console these days price wise, I just it's it's really hard. I want to see more people getting into gaming. I want to see, yes, a hobby spread like that. That's why we do what we do. We talk about these things. But I also I can't convince someone to go spend six hundred dollars for a single game to then spend you know, a few hundred other dollars into the other. Like it's it's a really hard standing point. Games are incredible, but it's like if you're not there already, how do you get into it.
Speaker 1: It's a really high barrier to entry, I think, higher than ever, and uh, it might continue to get worse. Obviously, the price increases that have already happened are are are noticeable. The you know you talk about the Pro, that's I mean, that was such an inflection point where like last generation we got the PS four Pro and it was very much like this. I remember talking to someone from Sony who basically just said, like, this is a way for us to keep the price where it was at launch. We're just going to replace the original PS four with this, and and you know it's it's for a smaller audience. But that most hardcore audience, the one that would pay we we know has paid this price before, pay it again for something that's significantly better. It's like, yeah, okay, I get it everything. You know, the whole stack moves down. And then the PS four standard went on to sell very well after that point for the rest of the generation. And you know, we've come to a point where that's obviously not happening. And I think, you know, tariffs aside, we'll talk, but there's more. There's tariffs to talk about here as part of the news because stuff continues to move there and Nintendo's talked about it a little bit. But you know, before the tariffs, like we were getting price increases. Before the tariffs, we were not seeing any more price cuts, So that was just becoming the norm. A lot of that is just the way that these the components seem to be sourced, don't really lend themselves to this, to the way of cutting prices the way they once did. Another part is I think these companies have realized that this audience will kind of pay more and more and more and keep showing up because we don't feel like we can go anywhere. I think I have retreated to PC and switch in a lot of ways. But I'm still getting these consoles the most part. And I know that that sort of stubbornness is a big part of the way we all play games, and I think they're just taking advantage of that. So it's those two factors of you know them. The way they make things doesn't necessarily lend itself to cutting prices, and they know they can really come for us because we're not going to go away if the price goes up ten to thirty percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and platform hopping is just a hard concept for a lot of people to get. Like I think if it were easier, if games were inherently just cross platform, like you bought a license and you could play it wherever or whatever, it would be a more compelling offering. But if you already have a massive PlayStation library, especially with the backwards compatibility that has been pushed forward from PS four to PS five, you can't just abandon that, Like you if you're trying to convince someone to stop buying it, it's like, Okay, I have fifteen twenty thirty, two hundred. However, many games you have across both platforms and will continue to be playable forward, you want me to rebuy those, and like you can keep your older console, but that means you're still not getting any money towards your like your new system, be at Xbox or PC or whatever. Like, people get really locked in now on the platform, Whereas it felt like, especially with how cheap games could get in earlier generations, it was a lot easier for people to just like dump their console. Like I remember working a game stop and people would just bring in like their PS one and their PS two and just dump their whole library and jump over to Xbox for a little bit, and then they dump their because they could get whatever games they wanted to grab for like five or ten bucks, and the consoles were just everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I think it's a double edged sort of like there are a lot of cool games I think we'll talk about in a minute that are coming up for PlayStation that will be compelling, but there are so many premium experiences you can get right now on a home console in terms of the big budget games that are compelling, but they don't feel like if you try to sell upsell a PlayStation five pro and you're like, yeah, you can get better graphics higher framewrates whatever, it doesn't feel compelling. But at the same time, if you try to sell someone now on a PS four, if they've been in the weeds, and because that used to be the thing is like okay, you know, we're we're not gonna do the Xbox quote. But like, if you don't want a PS three right now, grab a PS two for fifty bucks. You've got so many games to play forever. But now there's so much bigger, like Fomo for the new the new Doom, the new Death Stranding, the new Ghosts of Yota, like there is you're missing out on a lot more, it feels like, and so even though you can't upsell anymore, no one wants to go like, no one wants to settle for less either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a kind of a miserable position in a lot of ways where it's like, oh yeah, I mean the business model of gaming has really encroached on the enjoyment of gaming in a lot of ways, and that's been very frustrating. As you point out, let's see here there is a bunch of games. Oh yeah, there it is, Okay, Ghost of Yota Marathon. What else did they have for this year. Oh yes, Death Stranding two is coming out soon, and then they were looking forward to a big pup with GT six. Obviously that's moved the next year, and then Intergalactic is a couple of years off. That's the new one from Naughty Dogs. They got plenty of stuff that should be getting people's attention, but nothing really is going to change the story probably until GTA six really maybe Intergalactic all right. Sticking with this general theme, PS five could get more expensive as Sony considers plans to deal with tariff impact. This is from Darren BoNT Use at GameSpot. Sony is bracing itself for a six hundred and eighty million dollar impact from US tariffs, and to compensate for those potential losses, the PlayStation manufacturer might pass the increasing cost to its customers. During the company's earnings call, Sony CFO Lindau told investors that price increases on its hardware are being considered. Although PS five console was not mentioned specifically, CEO Herokayu Totoke did mention that PS five comp so manufacturing could be moved to the US. Most of its consul are Yeah, maybe, said could be. That's crazy. It won't be most of its consoles are produced in China and are subject to a thirty percent tariff for now, as this would be an efficient strategy to avoid being caught in the crossfire of US President Donald Trump's tariffs. Yeah, good luck with that. So this is something I think we kind of knew when those worldwide price increases happened, things that weren't necessarily directly related to the tariff, although I think that was definitely in mind when they were raising the prices in just about every other territory other than the United States, and they were just waiting on raising the price here because they didn't know exactly how much to raise the price by because the tariffs were such a moving target. They are still although we're in this weird ninety day holding period where the tariffs are only you know, quote unquote only thirty percent on China. So yeah, I still think a price increase for the PS five is incoming for the United States, which is just another thing that is going to make it more difficult to keep up with the PS four obviously and put up those barriers of entry that we were talking about.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, So I got a question for you. Yeah, Shoot, do you think The shift to focus on game pass and PlayStation Plus subscriptions instead of purely hardware sales or like purely like fit and direct game sales is having a negative impact here because used to it was always you sell the hardware at a loss, make it up in games. But they are now doing games at a loss through the subscription effectively and not being able to subsidize it as much. Do you think we're seeing like a weird almost feedback loop of they cut their funding for their hardware here and now they're having to make it up. But then if they're not selling the hardware, they're not going to sell the games on the hardware. Like, yeah, that's a cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely think that, Like they notice the pressure from from that game sale subscription side a little bit when they are pricing the hardware. I think you're right that is feeding back in to a certain extent. Now you know the way those subscriptions work, I'm sure they probably do come out positive in terms of average lifetime value per user where they are looking like down the line, but in the moment, at any given time, they are definitely worried about, well, this could slip in a direction that is going to make it feel like we're going to take a hit, so we have to keep everything floating as high as it possibly can in terms of our average retail price or whatever. So yeah, I think that's definitely a part of it. I think that these companies are also just they are looking twenty years into the future and being like that is a big unknown in terms of are we going to be able to make the shift to whatever gaming is going to look like when a lot of these console gamers are aging out at a certain point, And so we have to make as much money now as we possibly can to be able to weather any possible transition that we're not prepared for. So yeah, and you know that. Then we speak to Sony's other businesses, which are you know, not in shambles, but they're definitely a lot of them are in much rougher shape than PlayStation. So PlayStation has to sort of lift that entire ship at a lot of a lot of points, so it has to make as much money as possible. Now, the good news there for them is it is making a lot of money. It's uh, you know, they did report their earnings. It was like two point eight billion dollars in profits essentially operating income and that's like, that's really really good. That gets up like almost fifty percent, around forty five percent from last year. So they are figuring things out in terms of making money. But I think they continue to be like, well, yeah, but we're leaving a lot on the table because we don't have the big live service game or whatever. And in the meantime, we're not going to take any hits that we don't have to, and these people keep showing up for our console at this price, we should just keep it as high as we can. And a lot of that is also strategic positioning, right, so when the PS six does come out, they can compare that to the current price of whatever the PS five will be at that time, and then when they need to charge charge seven hundred dollars for the base version of that, it feels more justified. So there's just a lot of angles that they're considering, and price increases feel like they were always on the table even before the tariffs. Now they feel like a guarantee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, will we get our E three moment where then Xbox comes out on the stage and says two ninety nine.
Speaker 1: I think they will go even more expensive at this point. That's that's the actual new E three moment that we get. Yeah, all right, let's see here. Yeah, let's do this next one because it's still on this topic. US slashes tariffs on Chinese small parcels to thirty percent. This is from Oscar anton On Docale from Game Reactor the latest news on the United States and China. The United States has recently announced a significant reduction to its deminimous tariff on low value Chinese shipments, lowering to thirty lowering it to thirty percent for direct to consumer postal packages. So this is the thing that makes like things like Chian and what's what's the big one that everyone led the cheap team team Tamu. Thank you. Yes, things like Tamu work because people can buy you know, up to like eight hundred dollars worth of stuff and it was not necessarily going to be hit by many, if any tariffs coming into the United States as long as it was shipped as a small parcel that enable those business models to have very very aggressive profit margins, and people love that stuff. Thirty percent is still a lot. They're just you know, we say they're cutting it. It was a you know, one hundred and forty five percent or something like that, so I guess it is a cut from that. But this is this is good news for kind of everything that you can that they might ship from China. That's not going to necessarily be a PIS five because those are going to come over on large freighters and and things like that. But you know, your FPGA consoles and things like that, you're you're misters, those might be able to skirt by with just a you know again, quote unquote just eight thirty percent tariff. So that's some good news, but it's a ninety day pause. This stuff could change as well. Boy, I'm addie, I'm glad I'm not in one in the business of trying to make hardware in China and bring it to the United States as my small business. A lot of those guys I just completely admire. They're doing such cool stuff. I wish they didn't have to deal with this. What do you think the future of those kinds of businesses are?
Speaker 2: That's honestly what I worry about. Everyone focuses on the Ali Express, the Timu, the whatever, and like, sure, we could all do without those in our lives. Like yes, fine, but it's the it's the like you said, the small business is like the retro tink, Like everyone was up in arms about the retrodink four case price, and then there was a cheaper one that was eventually made. They can't keep getting made cheaper when these things keep happening. And then even the individual like macrospace, like Ada Fruit and all of these places where you get like raspberry pie boards and like your own components to build stuff. These have been dirt cheap because of the pretty flexible policies so far, and it will be a mostly unsustainable business model at this point because if you need to pay an extra thirty or one hundred and forty percent for what was a thirty part for your little build, you're not gonna be able to do that or scale that. And I'm I obviously eventually these things will be figured out, but I worry how much we're gonna lose along the way of businesses that just can't sit it out for this long. Like I really worry about that space because we could we could all say buy to Timu and live better, but you know we may not get especially in the in the retro gaming scenes, so many products are made from custom design PCBs printed chiefly in China, import it over even if they're open source, Like there's there's a lot of retro stuff that's open source, and it's like, okay, but you're still gonna go to what, I forget the name of the website, one of those websites that lets you just like print your own PCBs. You upload the specs and you print it. Like you're not gonna be able to do that affordably anymore, Like I yeah, that's that's where I'm worried the most about, and I think it's gonna be really hard. Thankfully, the community driven stuff where it's you know your your local game, you know your your smaller game. Business stuff is very You can do big group buys, you can everyone can wait, like especially when it's not that person's full time job, like theoretically they can wait to ship stuff and everyone can just hold out on the pre orders, like we all know what's going on. But anyone trying to just sell it to like bigger sellers and get it like shipped on a bigger scale is screwed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I might have told the story on the show before we went on our break, but I got the flippy drive thing. Yeah, and I was able to like, my order got delayed and that this is a basically an optical drive emulator that were all for the GameCube everybody, and it's the one I ordered was delayed way into August. And then I read their blog post about how they are going to be hit pretty hard by the tariffs and they're trying not to pass that cost onto anyone who's already pre ordered. So they basically cut a bunch of contractors that were helping them fulfill orders, and there was just the two of them doing everything seven days a week, pretty much NonStop. It's just like, yeah, that's so they're already doing as much as they possibly can. There is no more fat left to cut off if they you know, if one minor tragedy happens, it could it could just be done. And so you're right, like, I worry about losing these companies in this period of chaos. And we get to the other side and you're right, things do get figured out, Things go back to some sense of normal, maybe if we're lucky, and then we look back and be like, man, there are a lot of cool companies doing a lot of cool stuff, just because they're super passionate about it have gone away and we're gonna lose a ton Like we were kind of we were like a little bit of a golden era of the kinds of projects, and so.
Speaker 2: Like twenty seventeen until like twenty twenty three when things started getting funky, was just like this incredible golden age of all these retro projects, and I just, yeah, I'm still waiting on my flippy drive and I've just kind of made peace with the fact that I may not.
Speaker 1: Get it exactly. Yeah, I was able to have to be okay. I just like reached out and like, does anyone have one extra one? And someone sent me this one, So yeah, I got an installed. It's great. I love it. I wish everyone it could have one. Yeah, all right, let's actually, you know what, let's take a break. There's one more tariff story after this from a nintend but we're gonna take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about that right after this. This episode of Giant Bomb is brought to you by kind of Funny. When we said we were going independent, kind of Funny was the first group in our inbox because they believe in and want to support independent media, because that's what they are. For more than a decade, kind of Funny's been making YouTube videos and podcasts about video game reviews, previews, and news, but they also review and rank Marvel movies, Alien Versus Predator movies, and just about every other film front franchise you can think of. Kind of Funny is an independent, eleven person talk show network that's live Monday through Friday starting at ten am Pacific time. The day starts with kind of Funny Games Daily, leading into the Kind of Funny Games Cast, usually giving you a rotating podcast like they're weekly the Last of Us In and or Spoiler Cast, and then later they stream a game. If you like Giant Bomb, Chance Star, there's a kind of Funny show that you'll like as well. Check out their full slate of programming on YouTube, dot com slash Kind of Funny Games, which dot tv, slash Kind of Funny Games and podcast services around the globe, then subscribe on whatever platform works best for you. Just like Giant Bomb, kind of Funny only exists because of support from their audience, So give them a chance, whether it's your first listen or your first time in ten years. All Right, we're back at eeposvoxes with me, I'm Jeff Grub from Giant Bomb. You're watching Game mess Mornings. Let's get back into the news. Let's see here switch to news with Nintendo warning of substantial negative impact from tariffs. This is from Eddie McCoo at GameSpot. Basically, short version of this is, you know, we were talking about PlayStation mentioning what they think their exposure to tariffs is going to be something around six hundred and eighty million dollars dollars. I think that number was. Nintendo is kind of saying something something similar. They're saying several tens of billions of yen, and so every ten billion yin is worth sixty seven million dollars. So they're talking, you know, one hundred and fifty million dollars plus basically, and it very well could be a lot more. Now. When for a Kyawa was talking about this, Addie, it was during they're saying they did that calculation when they were expecting Chinese tariffs to be one hundred and forty five percent. Once again, they are at least temporarily down the thirty percent, and so that will change things quite a bit. But as you know, I do, and I'm going to insist on keeping on reminding people thirty percent is high on its own. When we were first talking about tariffs, we were like, man, that'd be crazy. I've went up to thirty percent. So now here we are kind of being grateful that it's down to thirty percent. Yeah, these companies are just going to have to continue to navigate this chaos, right that that means we all are. But especially if you're trying to watch your new system in twenty twenty five, like you just have no choice at a certain point but to pull the rip.
Speaker 2: Cord, right, Yeah, like you're and I think especially when you're this close to release and it's a whole new system and whatever, you're not gonna try to try to wiggle through the lines of like, all right, this this month, that's thirty percent. Next month, that's two hundred. Like you're just gonna go for the biggest number you think that you can. It's gonna be that will help you absorb it. And like we're even if it gets whittled down to thirty for a bit, like you're still gonna be eating the one hundred and forty five percent projection, Like it's that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yep, so it's uh. I think this is also Nintendo keeping price increases on the table. You know, they didn't increase prices after the tariffs were initially announced. They've now said multiple times that they weren't taking into consideration these Trump tariffs as they you know, when people ask them about it, it's like these tariffs that people were talking about, now we never even thought about these. We're thinking about all this other stuff. It's like, yeah, for sure, I get that, because you have to be able to say when you increase the price later, it's because of these tariffs. So yeah, I mean, I guess if excuse me, if this price does go up, when do you think that could happen? How much do you think it would be? Like? What can they get away with here?
Speaker 2: I don't know how they get away with much more, honestly.
Speaker 1: Right, it's already it feels already maxed out in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Right, Like getting the switch spread so much after they had their own supply chain issues at the start too, but like they spread so much because everyone could get them. I mean, that was the same thing with the Wii, like you could every household could have one or two Wi's because they were everywhere and that is how they built up this base, and I don't think trying to milk them for a six hundred dollars handheld is going to work out. I don't they what I have been expecting, especially with the games lineup they they've shown off so far, which is lacking some major heavy hitters. Is I think they are banking on cranking it up as far as they could go. I can't imagine like six hundred would be the cap, like who's who's gonna buy it after that point? Like right, But as they project towards that direction, I think they're banking on the core like true Nintendo fan boys and for lack of a better word, and the people who are going to be really invested in the social ecosystem because they they're the big bacon game is Mario Kart. They've got all these the webcam accessories. They're cranking up the pricing on the accessories already, like they want that person that is going to do the social stuff, which will help spread word of mouth, help pressure friends into getting in on the fun, and buy up all of the accessories to kind of add in some of that extra buffer and then whenever they do have the next big like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, whatever, that's when they'll start playing with the price a little bit to be like, all right, for this launch, let's try to get you actually in the door now that you've seen all your friends playing Mario or and then they have the new download feature like the DS had, where like you can start sharing it a little bit, so like they're they're I think they're they're setting up a interesting maneuver to know that they're not selling every single child bearing household a switch like they did before, but that they're gonna play at the seeds so that it becomes a desirable thing. And then whenever the truly compelling game tool whatever hits suddenly we'll see one hundred dollars off and it'll still be way more than you'd ever thought you'd pay for it. But it's like, oh, I can't get that. I can get up bundle with an extra controller.
Speaker 1: Hm m yep. I think they're going to try to play around with pricing in a lot of different ways, and right I think they're going to be you know, for lack of better word, I think dynamic with the pricing, like they're gonna have dynamic dynamic pricing for as much as you can get away with with the console. That is, you know, been something that they've been sort of scared to do in the past. I think these last this last generation where pricing has been a little bit more likely. Is this going to go up? And then it does? And then and then it's the consoles tend to keep selling as much as they can after that. I think these companies are maybe a little bit emboldened and that could easily bite them, but so far it hasn't. So yeah, I think you're right. That will probably see them be malleable with how they present the price. A lot of that will come down to, hey, does it have a packing game or does in it? And then you know how much trial do the subscription right exactly? And then they could just kind of move things up and down based on how they are packaging it with other stuff. But when you do the math, you're like, hmm, this feels like a little bit of a price increase, and it actually turns out to be exactly that.
Speaker 2: I do wonder how it will affect the the smaller excuse, the light version, the two DS, the O lead possible upgrade model. Like, I feel like a lot of people are going to have originally at least expected these additional models that we got with the Switch one and prior systems, And I'm wondering if that will even be a viable option because at this point, yeah, well what a switch to O lead costs? Like theoretically they could have that ready from the start because they just swapped the screen out, but like what would that look like at this point?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean they probably pomp another fifty dollars on top of their right and at least at least that would be so be five hundred and five fifty, you know, but with a game or something like that that that looks really rough on a store shelf. But yeah, I Nintendo loves doing that. That is way too again, like you know the way the PS four Pro and the PS five Pro we were talking about earlier. Oh, these people that we know show up. It's a good way to get us to buy stuff again. But so you're right, though, that does feel more challenging this time around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt when I was watching the original direct for the Switch to I was really since they obviously didn't have the price in it. I spent the whole thing really confused, because it felt like, for the first time, Nintendo was worried about steam Deck. Like if you look at the kind of games they presented in the like massive lineup, you look at the extra features, the focus on specs, like, it felt not Nintendo in many ways, and it felt like they were looking over their shoulder a lot at the steam Deck, which I felt like they did not need to do. I felt like, that's that's very not Nintendo. And I've always said, as much as I love steam Deck and this new generation of PC handhelds, Nintendo has got nothing to worry about. But then the price hits and it's like, maybe that's why, Like maybe they've known they couldn't get the price down even before all of this, and they kind of have to worry about steam Deck now in terms of a compelling price. And obviously we'll probably see seam Deck price increases too, We'll probably see whatever. Yeah, the valve will be more likely to eat it in the short term at least, But I think maybe they really did need to be scared of the steam Deck because hardware compelling wise, like price wise, it's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the narrative that people can tell themselves, right, it's changed a little bit with that price. Yeah, I think they immediately became became like, yeah, we are going to have to compare this to the Steam deck in order to sort of make this price make sense. It does. It seem like a pretty good deal when you compared to some of these PC handhelds in some ways, but like that is the comparison point. So if those PC handhelds began making moves, Nintendo could easily look out of touch again. Now that is going to be for a very a narrower audience is, but it is still the story I immediately went to for sure, all right, sticky with Switch to a little bit. Best Buy confirms that some select stores will have Switch to stock on release night. This is from Jack Valentine at Dual Shockers. Basically, for the unlucky gamers who haven't been able to pick up a Nintendo Switch to pre order, you can test your luck at participating Best Buy locations. An email from the retailer says that they will have limited inventory of the Nintendo Switch two systems, games and accessories. It is unclear if they will have both Nintendo Switch to skews available Yeah, so this was just sort of announced. It does feel like these companies do have quite a bit of switch to stock that they were able to put into the pre orders system. And now as they get another wave, Best Buy is going to do, you know, hey, come to the store at midnight and try to get one. Other people will be picking up their pre orders, will have a few more there. So yeah, I think that's going to be another thing where people will probably have to line up and test their chances, as this is saying, But it does feel like they got quite a bit of a switch into the supply chain. I'm kind of surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Best Buy consistently, like this has been a thing with a lot of electronics, Like they've consistently been the one that like you can kind of sneak in and get other stuff, Like there's this camera that I've been trying to order forever that is now completely not chipping to the US because of tariffs, but it was like impossible to find in any camera store whatsoever. But a lot of people were having luck talking to Best Buys like support chat and being like like verifying that they're a real person, they're using it for personal use, they're not trying to resell it and like actually getting some extra preorders, and it's like they seem to have a pretty consistent line on a lot of electronics for a pretty good pre order stock that a lot of stores are not able to keep up with, which is quite surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Best Buy is the one that came out looking good of the pre order and Nintendo switch to thing, right, that's the one everyone was like, at least this one seemed to work somewhat okay. Yeah, well I hope that continues. To hope everyone's able to just get their systems right at midnight like they're hoping, and then I hope that some people who haven't been able to get a pre order are able to go to these midnight launches and get one that sounds like fun. Right now, I'm like trying to figure out my schedule with the summer game FESTIM like, where am I actually going to be in LA on the fifth? I think I probably will be, but we'll see, all right. Sandfall Interactive is not ruling out a switch to release of Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three. This is from Jonas Mackie, a game reactor. Hardly a day has passed since Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three was released without us having a reason to return to this fantastic role playing game that has managed to charm both critics and gamers. It's out now for PC, PlayStation five, and Xbox Series X and S, and it's also included with game Pass. Sales have been very good, but releasing Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three to more formats would still open up even better results, and maybe that's something French developers Sandfall is considering. In a video interview hosted by Mister MV studio head Gilame Broch says, and this is translated by MP first, well, at this point, considering the success of the game, it kind of changes everything. So clearly it's too early to say, but we're kind of in a situation where, let's say that there are a lot of opportunities showing up way too many at once, and we're figuring out what we'll go for and what we won't. But yeah, it's definitely something that could be interesting. Basically, and that was in response to putting the game out on switch to This feels like the kind of thing that like when a game pops off like this, it does get the port treatment a little bit faster. I think I'm trying to think, you know, you know what it was. This isn't exactly a port, but like when Cyberpunk was kind of having its reinvigoration and they like got it ready for the Steam Deck right away, It's like they do that because they know if they do that, it'll pay off. This feels like a similar thing where if they get this thing on on the Switch to it's clearly going to pay off. Those audiences feel like they would mesh really well.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh yeah, I mean JRPGs and handheld's go hand in hand. Yes, even on the PSP. I've just picked up Final Fantasy one and two for the PSB because these covers were incredible visual novel games, and JRPGs are just handheld matches, so it's perfect fit. Obviously, galing the game to the Switch too will be questionable until we see how it handles everything else, with all the U five things that have been talked to death, but it would be dumb not to at this point, like that's potential gamers to tap, although how many people will have the Switch too is up for debate, but like, you know, it is a market that you're getting a lot of money get your game to more people.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I think for the Switch one and it's launch, there was this huge opportunity if you were the game there that people were talking about Golf Story. Right. Everyone bought Golf Story because it was just one of those games that was there and it's a really good game, but it was there and people noticed it and it was able to capitalize on that. It's going to be a little bit more crowded on the Switch too, right, you probably still want to be there because if you are going to be one of these games that becomes like one of the chosen ones, and you know, it feels like Cyberpunk is on its way to be in that because they've talked to the fans in a way that been like, we're putting this game entirely on the card because we know it's important to you and we think that matters and all that stuff, and people are like, oh my god, we're God got for you saying these things. So it feels like Cyberpunk is going to ride this wave. Expedition thirty three coming relatively soon. I don't know what that would look like within the next year. Feels like it could also be like, oh man, they're putting out this really awesome game from last year onto this thing. We're going to want to pick this one as well. So yeah, you kind of can't miss that opportunity. Even if it just sells okay on the switch to it's probably going to make quite a bit of money. Yeah, all right. The title of the Super Mario Brothers movie sequel has accidentally been revealed early. This is from Chris Scullion at VGC. The title of the sequel to the Super Mario Brothers movie was accidentally revealed earlier by NBC Universal and a press release published on the NBC Universal website for its upfront showcase. The company revealed the name of the second Mario movie in a section on Peacock Streaming, referring to it as Super Mario World, which I think we probably should have been able to guess based on the way the first movie went. The there's a quote here with all the stuff they have coming, Oh, a new Doubton Abbey movie. Excuse me, I love me some dowbn Avy Super Mario World, right, Yeah, that make a Yoshi heavy Mario sequel that makes all the sense in the world. Sorry, I didn't mean to do the World World THNK. But Addie, are you looking forward to the Mario movie too? Yeah? Uh huh.
Speaker 2: It will exist. It will be one of the movies that comes out.
Speaker 1: That is definitely how I feel about the first one, where I'm like, this is not I do not find this offensive or even all that bad, but it is just there.
Speaker 2: It's not made for me, and that's okay, yes exactly.
Speaker 1: But you know, Super Mario World Yoshi does feel like a good path for them, like having a ton of success again, right, Like there's no reason to assume that they're not going to be able to recapture a lot of the magic of the first movie, right in terms of making money.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, And I think there's a lot of room for that kind of like preteen and slightly younger than preteen humor that they do with these movies with Yoshi, like eating every want, Like there's no end of comedy for them to play into that. Like, I think it'll I think it'll do really well.
Speaker 1: What's uh, what what is your opinion on Yoshi overall? I people seem to have strong opinions on this character. I'm wondering if you're one of these people that.
Speaker 2: Does cute little dinosaur I got, you know, I got my wife the the the yarn one from the w U where they have a little thing like like it appreciate playing through Super Mario World from time to time. I don't have any major like, he's probably my favorite character, but that's not a very high list of.
Speaker 1: Okay, so so I am jumping over a pit. I'm gonna miss it. I h drop the Yoshi into the bottomless pit to survive. Your feelings are like, yeah, that's what you do.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, A double jump in other games like whatever, like you can double jump sometimes.
Speaker 1: Like uh huh, yoh, Yoshi the Dinosaur double jump. Absolutely. I yeah, my kids really like the first Mario movie. They watched that for a while, so it'll be nice to get another one so we can throw it into the rotation. That's sort of where I'm at with that. Otherwise, Yeah, okay, last headline I have here. Nintendo SF store allows customized customized switch o lead colors. It has been revealed that, similar to Japan, the newly opened Nintendo San Francisco store will allow gamers to customize their shiny new Nintendo Switch O lead model for a price. You have the option to choose your preferred colors for the Joycon system doc and you're all important risk straps for your toy cons. If this sounds like your cup of tea, then it will set you back three hundred and fifty dollars. As noted previously in this article, this is exactly the same service that Nintendo has offered for the Japanese web store for years. This is pretty cool. Some friends were at this thing. I seem to think the store was pretty impressive. One thing that they definitely noticed, and I saw Tam posting about this, was that it has like a lot of metroid merch where you know, a lot of the other Nintendo stores necessary don't necessarily have that sort of thing, So it feels like they are trying to serve a hardcore gaming audience as well as the people, you know, the families that would show up to a Nintendo store. You ever done any like customized hardware from a like an official channel before official store.
Speaker 2: Not exactly. I did have the privilege of attending the Pokemon Center when it was alive for all six months or whatever it was, and so I've been lucky enough to see a lot of the world and that is still because of the age and the generation of Pokemon that was out at the time. Getting to do that and get like a Pokemon downloaded to my cart was like one of my fondest memories in terms of gaming interacting with the real world. I wish these kinds of stores were more sustainable, that we could say that we can get them in more places, because I don't live near anywhere interesting to ever go visit them like on a regular basis, but like it seems like a really cool service. I immediately worry that, like, okay, especially with the markets being how there is, Like are they just going to get bombarded with resellers like grabbing them and running them off, and you know it's it's the the build a Bear model, Like it's cool. I I am someone who would do that and then play it until the rap got destroyed because I don't want to sit in in a box and then never look at it again, and that would offend a lot of people. It's a really cool thing and it's interesting to see them, and obviously like that's all they could do right now. But it's interesting to see a reason to go buy a switch O led as the switch to is coming out, Like that's honestly kind of smart because especially since most of the games aren't going to be switched to exclusive yet, like you're You're still giving someone a reason to be excited about going and getting a new switch hardware, which sure, like I'm down with that, Like why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I Like It's definitely the kind of thing where it's like, if I were in the right mood and I was at that store, there is a chance I walk away having just spent more money on a switch one like that's yeah that Normally that wouldn't happen, but this could. This could be the kind of thing that might be able to convince me. I guess it would really depend on some of the cool color options.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Nintendo Store in New York, I think is nice. I've been there a couple of times. It's okay. I think the best part about it is just watching any of the videos where people are watching Nintendo directs. I guess it'll be nice to have another place where people do that. I suppose, But.
Speaker 2: You remember, did you ever have in your malls near you the WB Store, Yes, I did, Brother Store, Like it kind of feels like it's that where it's like it's the big thing to get kids to come in with like the giant tower of stuffed animals or whatever. Huh, Except they always try to do the interactive elements, and I think that makes it like it almost turns it into like an amusement park kind of thing. It ends a tourist stop, and so I appreciate that they're doing it, even if realistically, especially as an adult, like what you're gonna get from it is super limited. It at least lets you go and be like hey, especially as everything is. You know, we were just talking about midnight releases Best Buy for the Switch too, like that that's so uncommon these days. Like having something where you can go in person and just kind of engage with the hobby a little bit is pretty neat to me.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agree. I mean, I think we're always looking for ways to do exactly that, to have a real world, tactile sort of thing, or at least I am, And you know, the Nintendo Super Nintendo World has been really cool for that, But I don't always have the capacity or the funds to go to a theme park, and maybe I do want to spend a little bit of money on some merch or something like that. Yeah, I think these stores are super cool. I agree. I wish they were just in a few more cities. Yeah, maybe put one in the Midwest, that would be cool. All right, that does it for the headlines. We have a poll question from Monday. In fact, let me see if I can find that right here there we go, all right, So on Monday we asked giant bomb question mark and your options were yes, or and forever, and seventy four percent selected and forever. Twenty six percent of you said yes. Hey everybody, we're just glad to be back. We're glad to be doing this stuff. It's been awesome to get this all figured out. There are still a million moving parts to turn this into a business going forward, but so far we've appreciated all the support. We're gonna get a bunch of stuff turned on, bunch of what other ways to make money again, to make this make sense. People have been asking about super chats here on YouTube. Well, yeah, we're gonna do those. Looking forward to all of it, so yeah, we'll get that stuff turned on and show you ways I'll show you new ways of interacting with us all here at Giant Bomb here pretty soon. In the meantime, we have another poll question. We'll get to here in a second. Before we do that, though, Addie, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet what you have going on and all that good.
Speaker 2: Stuff you postbox most places for social media handles and things like that. Obviously, my loose sky handle is below my picture here. I also have gaming content over on lost Saves, and yeah, that's pretty easy to find me. I did say I did want to propose some alternate names for the show.
Speaker 1: Just please do this. I'm always open to this.
Speaker 2: The most compelling and professional names for your morning live show. Okay, the Giant Morning Cast of course, Morning Giant Cast, the Giant Morning Mess uh huh, Independent Morning Mess Cast, uh huh, the Morning Mess Cast, the Messy Morning Bomb, and most importantly, Jeff Grubbs Giant Mess.
Speaker 1: That's that's just my life, Giant. What was the second to the last one? Giant Morning Mess? Yes, I like that one. I like the sound of that. That's good, all right, everybody. If we change the name to any of those, you will be the first to know. In the meantime, the poll question for today, are you going to a midnight launch for the switch to yes or no? Just curious, so I want to see if people are making plans to do that. I guess you know, if you pre order from best Buy and you're gonna go pick it up at midnight, I would count yourself as a yes. That seems like a yes. Or I guess if you're not going to go at midnight. No, you guys know how to answer questions. All right, let's see I got that done. What do we have happening on Giant Bomb. Yeah, we'll get the results of this poll talk about it on Games Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow. In addition to that, later today, we should have the new episode of Blake Club, the new season. Mike MINAUGHTI will be starting his game. That is at two pm Eastern eleven am Pacific time. Yeah. I'm really looking forward to y'all seeing how cool this guy's gonna look. Any idea is addie what he's gonna play? I do not. Yep, No one's gonna No one's gonna see it coming because he's just gonna look so cool. Again. That's two PM later today and then tomorrow back for game This mornings we'll have voicemail dump truck. There should be some more quick looks popping off here pretty soon. On Friday, we're gonna do a UPF We're gonna play the Capcom Fighting Collection two. Probably probably spend a lot of time in Powerstone, so looking forward to that. All right, with all that out of the way, how do you think. Thank you so much for spending today talking with me about video games. I really appreciate having me. Yeah. Absolutely, we'll make it happen again sometime soon. For now, thank you everybody for watching. Thank you for listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye. He'll be lacker, gon't be bear.