Speaker 1: In March nineteen twenty eight, nine year old Walter Collins left his home in Los Angeles to go see a movie, but he never returned. His disappearance set off a massive search and exposed deep failures inside the Los Angeles Police Department, and also pulled his mother into a public nightmare. She never escaped. As investigators chased false leads and forced quick answers, a serial killer was quietly operating on a remote ranch just outside the city. What followed became one of the most disturbing true crime cases in California history. This is the story of the Wineville Chicken Coop murders.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcasting. Following material intended more mature audience.
Speaker 3: Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: You gotta be leery of those people that live on ranches.
Speaker 1: I think you do.
Speaker 2: I I was just editing my heart out this weekend, and so when i'm editing, I just usually watch something because it's a bit boring and tedious. And I was watching just a ton of true crime episodes, and the amount of just shit that went down on ranches is kind of alarming.
Speaker 1: Actually, well, I think it's not that people who own or live or operate on ranches are the lawless people. It's the land can become lawless because it doesn't really have all the eyes on it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I guess and I'm not saying all people that own a lot of land are terrible people, but I mean, I guess that opportunity for them to be is there.
Speaker 1: I mean, technically speaking, we live on a ranch. Technically speaking, yeah, we have a little tiny hobby farm. We don't like we we're what renting a quarter acre half an acre and we have our little chicken coop. We're on the edge of a hay field. There's deer and coyotes that run around outside our fence and stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I would love to have a ranch one day. So what's that saying about me that says.
Speaker 1: You need to start saving your money because gosh darn, those are expensive pieces of land.
Speaker 2: Yeah, land is not cheap. Nothing is cheap nowadays.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. It seems like everything's just so expensive. But hey, just do what you do, and yeah, keep enjoying yourself. And if you really want to enjoy yourself, one way you can do. That is by signing up over on Patreon and supporting our show, you get exclusive behind the scenes stuff. You get an exclude episode that comes out at the end of every month, which is coming up in just a few days, a whole new episode exclusive to Patrios.
Speaker 2: Oh cool. And it literally is about like a cup of coffee a month. It's not people. I know people think it's super expensive to sign up on there, but I'm just saying it's not too too bad.
Speaker 1: It's not. You basically buy us a cup of coffee and you get the exclusive access, just like we have with Casey Barnes and also with Sherry Harmison. They both signed up and are getting that exclusive behind.
Speaker 2: The scenes that good good cough.
Speaker 1: That good good as I'd like to say that, yes, you're right.
Speaker 2: Before we dive in this episode, I just wanted to touch on one thing. So we have Spotify comments that come in, and someone did a Spotify comment that I just thought was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've actually got it in front of me here, so Abbie wrote. I work with offenders in rehabilitation and one of the things we ask the guys when they try and say they were drunk, blacked out drunk or high or whatever is how how out of it do you have to be to make out with your grandma? Like full tongue. Their responses really hit home the notion that no matter how out of it you are, you still have choices, and that is hilarious. They commented that on the seventy two minutes of Hell the Air and or Cut episode that we recently did, and that is genius. Oh I was blacked out. I don't remember doing that. Okay, So if you don't remember murdering someone, say, or you know, sexually assaulting someone in that case, would you make sure that you don't go and make out with your grandma? Well? Of course I would never. Well then why would you do these things?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I just felt like that. They because, yeah, right away, Oh my gosh, I could never do something like that, like would I could be completely out of my mind and I wouldn't do that. So then okay, then why did you do this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You knew, you know, you're able to still kind of be in there and know a little bit what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Yes, So it just it collapses that notion entirely, and I love that, So thank you for that comment. That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I love that I did actually laugh out loud. That was a good one.
Speaker 1: You actually laughed out loud when you told me about that comment too, so chuckled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was chuckling.
Speaker 1: Chuckling a little bit of a raffle, I guess. But anyways, are you interested in what we have to talk about today? A chicken coop murder?
Speaker 2: I sure am?
Speaker 1: You sure are?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Do you want me to get into our little prelude, our intro that we're doing, Hm, let's do it. Also, I'm curious what do you guys think of this intro that we've been trying out. We got the intro at the very beginning, and then we've been doing this prelude where I kind of build up the story a little bit more for you guys, I'm curious as to what you think of it. I'm still trying it out, making sure that it works with the show, So if you have thoughts on it, let us know. I know we've had some comments of people saying, oh, you're giving away a little too much in the beginning, so I'm trying to dial that back a bit this time and not give away too much, but give away just enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see how it goes okay.
Speaker 1: In the late nineteen twenties, Los Angeles was growing faster than almost any city in the country. Housing developments spread outwards, farmlands disappeared, and Hollywood was being born. Families arrived daily, drawn by the steady work and the promise of stability. Newspapers described the region as modern, safe, and full of opportunity. Behind that image, though the city was struggling to keep up. The Los Angeles Police Department was overstretched and understaffed. Detectives carried very heavy caseloads. Internal corruption scandals had begun to damage public trust, and city officials and newspaper editors demanded fast results, especially in cases involving children. Unsolved crimes were becoming political problems, not just police failures. Only months earlier, in fact, the kidnapping and murder of twelve year old Marian Parker had horrified the nation. Her case left parents very fearful and angry. It also placed enormous pressure on law enforcement. Every missing child that followed was treated as a potential catastrophe, another high profile failure that was something department it just could not afford, and beyond the city limits. Conditions well they were very different. Rural communities remained isolated and very lightly policed, chicken ranches and citrus grows with dirt roads stretching out for miles. Neighbors lived very far apart. Complaints were slow to be investigated, and outsiders came and went without much notice. Now, these areas existed in a bit of a blind spot between city police and county authorities. It was the kind of environment where unusual behavior could go unnoticed, and well it did. During nineteen twenty eight, disturbing reports began arriving from across southern California. Children disappeared, parents received strange letters. Witnesses described boys traveling with unfamiliar adults. A gas station attendant even reported seeing what looked like a dead child wrapped in newspaper. Farmers complained about violent behavior in a remote poultry ranch, but none of these reports seemed connected to one another. Each was investigated briefly and with not much evidence or much to go on, they were simply filed away individually. Meanwhile, inside the LAPD, frustration was building. Detectives were chasing hundreds of leads with little success. Superiors demanded progress, and reports demanded answers. Families, of course, well, they demanded results, and in some cases, finding a solution to a case quickly became more important than actually solving it correctly. Now. At that time, a dangerous man was moving quietly through its fractured system. On an isolated ranch east of la far from major patrol routes and public scrutiny. A predator was operating almost unnoticed. He exploited the gaps between jurisdictions and relied on that distance. By the summer of nineteen twenty eight, several investigations were beginning to unravel all at once. A mother was losing faith in the police, and two families were receiving letters that made no sense. A teenager was living in terror on a rural farm, and investigators were left scratching their heads. None of them yet realized how closely their lives were about to collide. Within months, these scattered cases would merge into one of the most disturbing criminal investigations in California's history, exposing institutional failure, abuse of power, and crimes that had been allowed to go on for far too long. And it all began with a nine year old boy walking towards a movie theater and never coming home. Now, with all that said and done, let's get into the heart of the story. By the late nineteen twenties, Southern California was experiencing a very rapid growth. Agriculture remained a major industry, whi all the movie or should I say motion picture based industry had turned Los Angeles into an international center for film production. New housing developments expanded across the region, and thousands of people moved into the city each year looking for work. Neighborhoods such as Lincoln Heights, Mount Washington, and surrounding districts became increasingly populated by working class families. With this growth, though, there came new challenges. Crime rates increased alongside the new population density. The Los Angeles Police Department or LAPD, was facing internal problems, including allegations of corruption and poor oversight. Several scandals had damaged public confidence in the department, and senior officers were under pressure to demonstrate effectiveness in high profile cases. Public concern for child safety was already heightened in early nineteen twenty eight. In December nineteen twenty seven, for example, the kidnapping and murder of twelve one of year old Marian Parker had received extensive national coverage, and the case left many families afraid and very distrustful of strangers. Newspapers continued to reference this Parker case well into the following year, and disappearances involving children were treated as major news. By March nineteen twenty eight. The LAPD was operating in a very difficult environment. Investigators were expected to produce results, and produce them extremely quickly, especially in cases involving these children, and failures were widely criticized in press and unresolved cases while they were seen as evidence of incompetence. Police leadership, including Chief James Davis, faced increasing scrutiny from both the public and city officials. It was within this context of a growing city public anxiety over violent crimes, and a police department under intense pressure that the disappearance of nine year old Walter Collins had occurred now. Walter Conrad Collins was born in September nineteen eighteen, and he lived with his mother, Christine Collins, in the Lincoln Heights area of Los Angeles. Christine worked as a telephone operator and supported the household on her own. Because Walter's father, Walter Joseph Collins was serving a sentence at Folsom State Prison for robbery at the time. Now, Christine and her son had a close relationship. By nineteen twenty eight, Walter was nine years old and had developed a very regular routine. He attended school, spent time in the neighborhood, you know, frequently visiting nearby movie theaters, which were popular gathering places for children and families at the time. On Saturday, March tenth, nineteen twenty eight, Christine gave Walter some money and allowed him to go walk to a local theater to see a movie. Now, the theater was located within a reasonable distance of their home, and it was very common for kids in the area to walk there alone. It was no big deal, but that afternoon. A neighbor later reported seeing Walter round five near the corner of Pasadena Avenue in North Avenue twenty three. He was wearing a lumberjacket, a brown corduroy trousers, black Oxford shoes, and a gray cap. But this will be the last ever confirmed sighting of him, as Walter never returned home.
Speaker 2: That's really something you don't see so much anymore. Hey, Like kids are not given any freedom and I'm not saying that's a bad thing in any way, but yeah, you don't just send your kid with money to go do something because the world, I guess knows what can happen.
Speaker 1: They've done what can happen. Also, technology is a little bit different. Instead of handing him cash to go see a movie, you know, you're you're handing them a tablet, or you're handing them v bucks or roeblocks money for their game, things like that. Yeah, now I understand that I'm not saying that necessarily in a negative way. There's negative and positive connotations to both, of course, But it's just such a different world and how things have changed, not only because you know technology, but like you say and point out, because of what we've learned from incidents in the past, Like.
Speaker 2: It's almost alarming seeing a kid just wander or walking solo. You don't see it very much anymore.
Speaker 1: I betcha if you ever see a kid walking solo their heads down and they're looking at.
Speaker 2: Their phone, which is probably also making them in danger in a sense, they're not paying attention and they're surrounding right.
Speaker 1: Definitely, That's exactly where I was leading because it's like, oh, you know what. Yeah, they might be connected and they can call for help, but they're not looking at their surroundings. So while we may be more safe in some ways, we are less safe in others.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is just really off. For one quick sec I was chatting with a teacher recently and they were talking about phones nowadays in schools and stuff, right, and saying like, the hallways often are just like silence in schools because the kids are just on their phone.
Speaker 1: Oh damn.
Speaker 2: And to me that was just like, are you kidding me? Because when I was in school, it was just like loud and people were annoying and yelling and doing whatever. Now they're just like on their phone, and so it's not all that hustle and bustle. Really wow, And I had never thought of that.
Speaker 1: Blows my mind. Yeah, yeah, all right, I mean it makes sense. Again, I'm not judging. There's positive and negative to both there. We were going to school, Yeah, we're like we're reminiscing and romanticizing it. I had got pelted in the back with an orange once in the halls at high school. Like, there's positives to it, there's definitely negatives on both sides, but it is definitely a different world today than it is or was.
Speaker 2: Back then, very much so now.
Speaker 1: When evening came and Walter didn't come home, Christine assumed he may have just stayed out late or than usual, you know where, maybe he had gone to a friend's house something like that. But as the night passed with a word from him, she began to get increasingly worried, and by the next morning he still wasn't home. Ultimately, though, Christine had waited several days before contacting police, and on March fifteenth, nineteen twenty eight, five days after Walter was last seen, she formally reported her son missing to the LAPD.
Speaker 2: What the shit?
Speaker 1: Well, that delay was later questioned as well. But the thing is like, at the time, it wasn't exactly unusual for parents to just hope that their child had wandered off or stayed with an acquaintance or something. So the assumption he's just going to be home in a couple days, oh, was not exactly abnormal. Now, if your kid is missing for an hour, you know what, You're like, something's wrong. Then it was like a day or two, and it's like, Okay, maybe I should get worried different time.
Speaker 2: Right, I guess, but that's mind blowing to me.
Speaker 1: Well, different time, I guess. Yeah, it's mind blowing to you that kids are on their cell phones in the hallway at school too, So right, it just shows that difference, that's all it does. Now, after Christine filed the missing person's report with the LAPD, they began an extensive search for Walter. Officers canvas the Lincoln Heights neighborhood, spoke with neighbors, and attempted to retrace his route to the theater that night. Police searched the area where children were known to gather too, including part werks, vacant lots, nearby waterways, and one of the earliest searches focused on Lincoln Park Lake, where officers and volunteers looked for any sign that Walter might have fallen in or been pushed into the water, but no evidence was found. Now, as news of the disappearance spread, tips began to pour in from across the city and the surrounding areas too. Some claimed to have seen a boy matching Walter's description riding streetcars. Others believe they spotted him in shopping districts or near train stations, but most of these reports just couldn't be verified. One of the most disturbing early leads, though, came from Glendale, when a gas station attendant named Richard Strauthers reported that a couple had stopped for directions with what appeared to be a dead boy wrapped in newspaper in the back seat of their car with only his head visible.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah now, Richard said the couple appeared foreign and acted extremely nervous. Another man Cebee State, Stanley Laid, claimed that he followed this same couple after they left the gas station, and according to him, the vehicle briefly stopped in front of a police station before speeding away and disappearing from sight. When police showed Richard and Stanley a photograph of Walter, both men said they believed that that child was the one they had seen in the back seat.
Speaker 2: Holy just in the backseat, wrapped in newspaper. Dead Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Despite the seriousness of this report, investigators were unable to locate the couple or the vehicle, no physical evidence supported the claim, and the lead eventually stalled. So that is all we know of that incident.
Speaker 2: That's terrifying.
Speaker 1: So whether it's connected to this or not. That is all we know, and that in itself is terrifying, honestly.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just hoping it was a doll or a mannequin or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something that they just thought they saw, who knows, maybe even a pilot closed And there was like a tan colored sweatshirt that, just as it was folded, looked kind of like a boy's face with the shadows. Who knows. Hopefully it wasn't actually sweet, Yeah, we can hope. Now. Other reports suggested that a boy was being transported around California by a man and a woman and was pleading with strangers for help. These stories were investigated but ultimately led nowhere. Each new tip required time, manpower, and most collapsed under any sort of scrutiny. Meanwhile, Walter's father, still incarcerated at fulsome prison, developed his own theory. He believed that former inmates may have abducted his son in some sort of retaliation. You see, while in prison, he worked in the cafeteria and was responsible for reporting rule violations aka snitch. This role had earned him a lot of resentment from other prisoners, and he feared that someone may have targeted his family as revenge. Now, police looked into this possibility, but found no direct evidence linking any former inmates to Walter's disappe appearance. By late spring and early summer of nineteen twenty eight, the investigation had grown large, but rather unfocused. Officers were chasing dozens of these unrelated leads, but no confirmed sightings had ever been made. No ransom demands had been made either, and no evidence of any sort had been recovered, and so the case simply remained open, active and increasingly frustrating. Public attention continued to grow too, and newspapers regularly criticized the police for failing to make any progress in the case. For the LAPD every week without answers, increased pressure from city officials and the public, and now, on May sixteenth, nineteen twenty eight, something else happened. Two brothers from Panama, twelve year old Lewis Winslow and ten year old Nelson Winslow, also disappeared. The boys had been attending a meeting at a local yacht club and were walking home when they vanished. Their parents reported the missing and that was kind of that. Shortly after their disappearance, the Winslow family began receiving unusual letters though the first letters claimed that the boys were traveling to Mexico, and a second letter suggested that they were intending to remain missing for as long as possible in order to try and become famous. The tone and content of the letters raised a lot of concern, but investigators were unable to determine who had written them or where the boys were. Now. Around that same period, authorities were dealing with another disturbing case too. In February of nineteen twenty eight, several weeks before Walter disappeared, police had discovered the headless body of a Latino boy near La Puenta, California. The victim was later believed to be Alvin Gothia. Now. In addition to these incidents, local authorities had received complaints about a poultry farm in the rural community of Wineville, located in the Riverside County as well. Now neighbors reported that a man on the property appeared to be mistreating young boy. These complaints were recorded, but not really treated as urgent, and they were largely overlooked. During this period, investigators did not recognize a broader pattern Walter's disappearance, the Winslow brother's case, and the Lapuenta homicide also mixed with the reports from the Winesville They were all handled separately by different departments and agencies. Communications between jurisdictions was limited, and there was no centralized system to connect any sort of similar cases. So as a result, opportunities to identify links between these events were simply missed. Now by the summer of nineteen twenty eight, nearly five months had passed since Walter Collins had disappeared. Despite extensive efforts, the LAPD had no solid leads. Public criticism continued to mount, of course, and the case was increasingly viewed as another example of police failure. Then, in August of nineteen twenty eight, an unexpected development occurred more than seven eighteen hundred miles away.
Speaker 2: This is really scary, it is, And I can kind of understand the public, you know, being quite concerned because it's kids, right, Like, holy shit, you got to get your shit together when kids are involved. But I also think it'd be very hard to be I can't even fathom being like a police officer or an investigator at that time, because I just I think your job would be like a lot harder than it is today. But then sometimes the more resources you have does make your job harder too. I don't know, it's just how would you even go about solving things back then?
Speaker 1: You know, Well, that's part of the big problem. I mean, yeah, you can investigate, Yeah, you can look at evidence. You know, things are progressing, But when it comes to linking different cases together, it became very difficult, especially when you're going across jurisdictions or different precincts or anything like that. You know, so we have one area handling this case, another area handling this case. How do they communicate and draw the lines between the two.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you don't have like fingerprints and DNA and all that jazz, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it was definitely difficult, and at the same time, I certainly understand the public's opinion of you got to get things done, you got to try and solve this, look into it, get answers.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they're terrified for their kids exactly.
Speaker 1: So it all makes sense on both sides now. It was in August of nineteen twenty eight in Kabab, Illinois, where local police encountered a young boy who'd been drifting through the area. At first, he identified himself as as Arthur Kent, and he said that his father had abandoned him. Now, because of his age and lack of stable housing, authorities placed him with a temporary family while attempting to learn more about his background. But over time, the boy began to change his story. After continued questioning, he said his real name was Walter Collins and that he'd run away from la He said that he had avoided answering questions earlier in order to try and protect his father. Now, Illinois authorities were aware of the wily publicized missing child's case from California, and when the boy made his claim, they contacted the LAPD and requested information. So photographs of the boy were taken and sent to California for comparison. When Christine Collins was shown the photographs, her reaction was immediate. This wasn't her son. His facial features, height, and overall appearance seemed different. But still, despite her doubts, police officials encouraged her to remain hopeful. Now the LAPD they viewed the discovery as a potential breakthrough, and after months without progress, the possibility of locating Walter alive while it offered a way to resolve the case. So arrangements were made to bring this boy to Los Angeles by train, with Christine agreeing to pay for the travel expenses. When the boy arrived in California, police organized a public reunion. Reporters, photographers, and officers all gathered at the station, and the event was widely covered in the news, which portrayed it as a very successful conclusion to a long and difficult investigation. Now, Christine met the boy in front of cameras and spectators. Although she attempted to remain composed, she later stated that she immediately believed something was wrong. He did not speak, or look or behave like her son at all. She was convinced this wasn't him. Still, under intense public and police pressure, the reunion was presented as genuine. The LAPD announced that Walter Collins had officially been found. Now, after that very public reunion, Christine Collins privately told officers that this wasn't her son. Once again, she pointed out several differences immediately. The child was shorter than Walter, his facial structure was different, his mannerisms didn't match. He did not recognize familiar people or places. He addressed her as maw rather than mother, which Walter always did. But Christine's concerns, well, they were just dismissed. The officer in charge of the case was Captain J. J. Jones, and he insisted that the boy was, in fact Walter.
Speaker 2: That's so messed up. Just trying to convince this mom, no, this is your kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when she knows better, and otherwise she would know exactly now. Jones, of course, was under intense pressure to close the investigation and restore the department's reputation, so a successful recovery of a missing child would reflect positively on of course, both himself and the LAPD. So Jones instructed Christine to just take the boy home and quote try him out for a few weeks. He suggested that her doubts were the result of stress and emotional exhaustion. Reluctancy kind of took over, but Christine agreed, and so for the next three weeks the boy lived in her home. Now, during that time, Christine became even more convinced that this was not her son. He struggled to recall personal details from Walter's life. He behaved differently, he had different habits and preferences, his height again still inconsistent, and also with medical records, friends, relatives, and neighbors who knew Walter. They also expressed doubts. Christine even actually took steps to document her concerns. She contacted Walter's dentists and obtained dental records. These records show that Walter had undergone dental work that did not match this boy's teeth. She also gathered signed statements from people who knew Walter, all stating that the child in her care was not him.
Speaker 2: Okay, good for her, because I'm almost feeling like that was a bit cruel of them. It was they're almost playing mind games with her. No, like this is your son, this is your son, And some people would be like, oh gosh, is it you know, because she's in a state where her son is missing, so of course she wants this to be her son exactly. So I just feel like that was almost a bit cruel. So I'm glad that she stepped back and was like no and held her ground.
Speaker 1: Well, if you think that's cruel, just wait to what you hear happens next. Because when she returned to the police station with the evidence, like she was expecting a serious review of the case, but instead Captain Jones, well he reacted extremely angrily towards her when confronted with evidence that this child was not Walter. Captain Jones accused Christine of being ungrateful and irresponsible. He claimed that she was trying to avoid her responsibilities as a mother, and he suggested that she wanted the state to take care of her child. He also accused her of attempting to embarrass the department by challenging their conclusion in the case.
Speaker 2: Wooh, that is fucked up. Yeah, I have never heard anything like that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, you're trying to make the police look foolish literally quote look foolish in front of the public.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you didn't do your job, buddy.
Speaker 1: Right, so you are looking foolish and that's not her doing, that's your doing.
Speaker 2: But just doesn't want that to come out, I guess. And so he's oh, okay, Yeah, this is not okay what they're doing to this poor mom.
Speaker 1: It's not So rather than reopening the investigation, he's defending the department's position, saying this is Walter. So at this point, the relationship between Christine and the LAPD became very openly hostile, and her persistence was no longer viewed as cooperation. Instead, it was treated as defiance. So on September eighth, nineteen twenty eight, less than a month after the boy had arrived in Los Angeles, Captain Jones took formal action against Christine Collins without conducting a new investigation into her claims. He ordered that Christine be committed to the psychiatric ward at Los Angeles County General Hospital. Now, the commitment was carried out under a procedure known as Code twelve. This designation allowed police to have individuals detained and evaluated if they were considered disruptive, unstable, or difficult to manage.
Speaker 2: I am shocked here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So abusing this Code twelve, Christine was taken into custody and placed in the hospital psychiatric unit against her will. And while hospitalized, she was subjected to repeated interviews by doctors and staff members who were closely connected with law enforcement, so they're extremely biased. Now. During these sessions, she was questioned about her mental state, her behavior, and her attitude towards police. According to later accounts, many of these interviews were conducted in a way that framed her emotional distress as evidence of instability. Because when she became frustrated or upset, it was simply recorded as irrational behavior. When she tried to remain calm, it was interpreted as emotional detachment. No matter how she responded, it was used to justify her continued confinement.
Speaker 2: But really, she has every right to be freaking out exactly. And also because them deeming that this is her son means they're not freaking searching for her actual son.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. They want to close the case because then the public's happy, Oh he was just found. They want to just cover it up and not have to work on it and onto the next case and falsify what their jobs are and what they're actually doing.
Speaker 2: This is disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically they want the participation ribbon and just to look good.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Now. Outside the hospital, though, friends, coworkers, and community members, they began to protest her treatment. Several people who had known Walter personally contacted the police to support Christine's claims. Her dentists also reaffirmed that those dental records did not match, and neighbors and relatives insisted the boy was in fact not Walter. However, despite the growing pressure the LAPD, they maintained its position and they continued to assert that Walter had been found and that Christine was suffering from an emotional problem. Privately, however, doubts were finally beginning to surface within the department itself, and investigators quietly began to re examine the identity of the boy that they had brought in from Illinois. The pressure in all of it was finally getting to them. One of the first serious things they looked at was a handwriting analysis. Samples of Walter's writing from school records and earlier documents were compared to writing produced by the boy. An expert concluded that the handwriting didn't match, in particular the way the boy formed his letter r it was consistent with writing styles commonly taught in Illinois but not in California. Around the same time, officers began questioning the boy more closely, without Christine present. He was asked to explain inconsistencies in his story and to provide specific details about Walter's life, and under this renewed scrutiny, his account began to unravel, and eventually the boy admitted the truth. He confessed he was not Walter Collins. His real name was Arthur Hutchins, Junior, a twelve year old runaway originally from Iowa. After his mother died in nineteen twenty five, Arthur had been living with his father and step mother, and he described his home life as unhappy and restrictive. Arthur explained that he had been traveling for several weeks when he reached Kebab, Illinois. While staying at a roadside cafe, someone mentioned that he resembled the missing boy from la whose picture had appeared in newspapers. Arthur then realized that claiming the boy's identity might allow him to travel across the country. Now. His primary motive in all doing this, he said, was to get to Hollywood so he could meet his favorite actor, Tom Mix. Arthur also admitted to using other false names while traveling, too, and he showed little remorse for deceiving Christine and authorities in the way he did it. He mind, you, he is just a child.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's kind of sad and kind of you know, his reasoning behind it is so innocent too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you can't exactly blame him, but yeah, he didn't exactly do the best either.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now, in later interviews, he suggested that Christine must have known that that he was not her son, and that the situation had simply become a bit of a game, which he's kind of right, except it's not really a game to her since her real son is still missing. But in that mindset from such a young boy, I can see it. Now. Arthur's confession was recorded, the LAPD could no longer maintain its earlier position, and Christine was released from the psychiatric hospital. Approximately ten days later, Arthur was returned to Illinois, where his stepmother retrieved him and took him home. Now, while Christine was being discharged, the real story of what was going on behind the several missing children was quietly coming to the surface in the rural countryside at a small chicken ranch owned by Gordon Stuart Northcotte. Now. Gordon had been born in November of nineteen oh six in Saskatchewan, Canada and raised in British Columbia. His adulthood was unstable, filled with family conflict and later allegations of abuse. Tooeteen twenty four, he moved with his parents to Los Angeles, and within a short time he began showing troubling behavior, including incidents involving young boys, that brought him to the attention of the authorities. In nineteen twenty five, he was reprimanded by a judge for a sexual offense involving a minor, and one year later, in nineteen twenty six, at nineteen years old, Gordon convinced his father Cyrus, to buy him a three acre plot of land in Wineville, a small farming community east of La Damn.
Speaker 2: I wonder if I could do that right.
Speaker 1: So, with financial help from his father and labor from his young nephew, Sanford Clark, he built a small house and a chicken ranch. It looked like a nice, little, modest agricultural operation, but in reality, while this it became the center of his crimes. Later in nineteen twenty six, Gordon traveled back to Canada and visited his sister, Winnifred Clark. He persuaded her to let her thirty ten year old son, Sandford, who had already helped build on the farm, returned to California with him. He told him that Sandford would attend school and help on the ranch, so, trusting her brother, she agreed, but almost immediately after sandford ride in Wineville, the abuse began. According to Sandford's later testimony, Gordon began physically and sexually assaulting him repeatedly. He beat him, he chained him in the chicken coop for extended periods, and threatened him constantly. Sandford was isolated from the outside world and had no realistic way to escape. He was forced to write letters home saying he's happy and safe, and in these letters, of course, while they were all dictated or very closely monitored by Gordon. Now over the next two years, Gordon began bringing other boys to the ranch. Two He would drive into la and nearby towns, approaching boys in the street and offering them money your work. Some were promise farm jobs and others were simply tricked into getting his car. Either way. Once at the ranch, they were locked inside the chicken coop or inside the house. Sandford testified that these boys were repeatedly raped and beaten, just like he was. He said that Gordon had forced him to witness the abuse and in sometimes assist in it too, and if Sandford refused, Gordon threatened to kill him. So he believed that his life was dependent on obedience. By early nineteen twenty eight, Gordon began killing his victims. In February nineteen twenty eight, he shot a teenage Mexican boy near La Puente with a twenty two caliber rifle. He then cut off the boy's head and brought it back to the ranch and he showed it to Sandford, claiming the boy quote knew too much, and then Gordon ordered Sandford to burn the head and later smash the skull with an axe because it didn't burn completely. The headless body, meanwhile, while was dumped on the roadside.
Speaker 2: Poo, this is just like a ranch of horors.
Speaker 1: Really, it really is. Now. In March of nineteen twenty eight, nine year old Walter Collins was abducted and he too was allegedly brought to the ranch. Sandford said Walter was kept in the chicken coop for several days, repeatedly assaulted, and eventually he was murdered. According to later testimony, Gordon and his mother, Sarah Louise Northcott, were both present. Sandford was forced to strike Walter with an axe before Gordon and Sarah finished killing him. Walter's body was buried in a shallow grave and covered in quicklime. Speed up d comm yeah yeah. In May of nineteen twenty eight, brothers Lewis and Nelson Winslow were kidnapped in Panama and of course, were taken to Wineville. They were held there for over a week. They too were beaten and raped and forced to it to write letters home claiming that they had gone to Mexico. Sandford was ordered to dig their graves in advance, and when Gordon grew tired of them, he forced Sandford to kill one of the boys while he killed the other. The bodies were buried on the ranch, again with quicklime and covered with straw and chickens.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay, this is just horrible.
Speaker 1: It is. And throughout this entire period, like Sandford's living with his uncle who's forcing him to kill, and his uncle is killing and he's just in constant terror.
Speaker 2: Yeah I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: The fact that he's related to him, right and he's still like, you know, sexually assaulting him and stuff too, is really really gross.
Speaker 1: Well, and he's getting death threats, like he's sleeping on this place knowing he could be killed at any moment, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And witnessing that this is happening, so he like his uncle is not joking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's witnessing boys like his age and younger like who came on endured the same thing he did. The only differences He's alive and they're dying, which means it could be him at any second. Like he believed that if he told anyone, he'd be murdered and buried right next to them himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I believe it too, Yeah, I so do.
Speaker 1: I Now back in Canada, his family began to worry for him. Sandford's Sandford's letters they seemed wrong and off. Though written in his handwriting, they sounded unnatural and unlike him. Jesse Clark, Sandford's older sister, noticed that the tone of vocabulary were unlike him, and that she also noticed the spelling and punctuation, which was normally poor, had suddenly improved. So in August of nineteen twenty eight, Jesse saved up enough money to travel to California and visit her brother. When she arrived at the ranch, she seemed to sense that immediately something was off. Gordon behaved aggressively towards her and tried to control her movements. I'm all strange and the atmosphere at the property was It felt very threatening. Then one night, while Gordon was asleep, Sandford whispered the truth in his sister's ear. He told her all about the rapes, the beatings, the murders, the graves, and the death threats he had received, and he said he was afraid he was going to be next. It was in that moment that Jesse realized her brother was living inside a complete nightmare. Soon she managed to return to Canada and she told her family everything. Together, they contacted the American consul and submitted a sworn complaint stating that Sandford had been kidnapped and was being held illegally in California by Gordon Northcott. The complaint reached the LAPD and because Sandford had crossed the border illegally, authorities initially focused on immigration violations rather than homicide, and the case was passed to the United States Immigration Service. So on August thirty first, nineteen twenty eight, two federal Immigration inspectors Judson F. Shaw and George W. Scolorn drove towards Gordon Northcott's chicken ranch in Wineville, California. The ranch was located at the end of a long, isolated dirt road and from the main house, anyone on the property could easily see vehicles approaching from a distance. And when Gordon noticed the inspector's car driving towards the ranch, he immediately knew authorities had been alerted, so realizing he was about to be confronted, he panicked and he decided to run before escaping, though Gordon threatened Sandford and ordered him to delay the inspectors for as long as he possibly could. He warned the boy that if he failed to cooperate, he would be shot from the nearby trees. Gordon then grabbed a rifle and ran into the surrounding fields and into the wooded area, leaving behind his home, his belongings, his operation, and his nephew Sandford. Now. When Shaw and scholar and arrived, Sandford met them and attempted to follow Gordon's instructions. He told them his uncle wasn't home and claimed he didn't know when he'd return, so over the next two hours, Sandford did his best to keep them occupied, answering questions cautiously and showing them parts of the property, while constantly fearing that Gordon might still be watching from nearby and pulling a trigger on him at any wrong move. Eventually, though he began to realize that Gordon had likely fled for good. He also realized that this was his only chance to escape, so once he believed the inspectors could actually protect him, he broke down and told them the truth. He admitted that his uncle had ran away and began describing the abuse he had suffered over the past two years. He told them Gordon had held him against his will, sexually assaulted him, threatened him repeatedly, brought other boys to the ranch who had gone through the same and then were murdered and buried on the property. And the inspector, of course, were very unprepared for what they were hearing. This was supposed to be a routine immigration inquiry, just an inquiry, but now it had suddenly become a major criminal case. Shaw and Scholarn immediately play Sandford in the protective custody and contacted their supervisors. Within days, multiple law enforcement agencies were involved in a full investigation was launched. Sandford was then taken to a secure location and questioned by police and federal authorities. At first, he was very hesitant, remember for years he'd been conditioned to remain silent through violence and intimidation by his uncle. But slowly he began providing a detailed testimony, he described how boys had been abducted, abused, and murdered. He explained there were graves, He explained where they were located, and how bodies had been disposed of, even using the quickline. He also told investigators that Gordon and his mother had even dug up graves in early August and removed remains from the property in an attempt to destroy evidence.
Speaker 2: Poof, Okay, the fact that his mother is involved as well. You had mentioned that earlier, and I was just like, okay, but that that would be this kid's grandma. Yes, So that okay, So we have a mess.
Speaker 1: To Sanford's point of view, it's his uncle and grandmother who.
Speaker 2: Are murdering assholes, yes.
Speaker 1: And forcing him to do the same, and also abused and assaulted him.
Speaker 2: And keeping him there really against his will at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. So, based on Sandford's information, authorities organized a very large scale search of the ranch, and on September fifteenth, nineteen twenty eight, officers, investigators, and forensic specialists arrived at the property and began excavating the area Sandford had identified under his guidance, then covered several shallow graves near the chicken coop and surrounding buildings. Inside the graves, investigators did not find complete bodies, but instead they discovered scattered fragments of human remains. These included pieces of skulls, fingerbones, and other skeletal parts. In total, fifty one separate bone fragments were cataloged and laboratory testing later confirmed they remained to young male victims. Other evidence was found throughout the property too. Blood stains were discovered inside the chicken coop and nearby structures. Several axes were even recovered, some of which contained dried blood and strands of human hair still on them.
Speaker 2: I also just have to say, like being inside a chicken coop is not in a good place. No, And also chickens are assholes, so I'm you know, they could be pecking at them and you know, and it would be smelly and gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some chickens that are nice, but majority of chickens they can kind of be some dicks sometimes, especially if you're looking at roosters. I don't know what this. I didn't look into exactly what he was farming, whether it was chicken for meat or eggs or what if he had roosters. I don't know, but they can be quite protective of their hens, and they will fight and scratch and peck.
Speaker 2: Well, and if you have any wounds, they're attracted to red. So if you're like bleeding in any way, these chickens are going to be all up in your grill.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I also don't know if this chicken coop per se had cage chickens for a range chickens. I don't know if they're walking on him or if they're separate. Maybe he's in an entrance area. I don't know the exact details of that, but the possibilities well, they can certainly get dark now. Mattresses with bloodstains had also been found as they were buried in ground in the grounds and burned. Scraps of paper with personal items were scattered across the ranch too. They also recovered belongings like things that linked to the missing boys, which included boy scout badges, a child's whistle, letters written to parents, and pages from a library book belonging to one of the Winslow brothers. Clothing similar to that of Lewis and Nelson Winslow what they had been wearing. Well. They had also been found all of These discoveries supported Sandford's account that the ranch had been used repeatedly as a site of abuse and murder. What stood out most to investigators, though, was what they did not find. Despite extensive searching, no intact bodies were recovered. Sandford explained that this was because Well Gordon and his mother had returned to the graves weeks earlier, and according to him, they'd exhumed the bodies on the night of August fourth, nineteen twenty eight, and then transported them to a remote area and likely burned or reburied them somewhere else. Now, this actually matched with the timeline of Sandford's sister, Jesse Clark and her visit, and it suggested that they suspected something could be happening and were trying to cover the tracks just in case, eliminating any sort of physical evidence. As news of the findings spread, the case quickly became national headlines. Reporters descended on Winesville, and the ranch became widely known as the site of horrific crimes. Now the phrase chicken coop murders began appearing in newspapers across the country, and public outrage grew as details emerged about how long the abuse had gone undetected. Remember, Sandford had been on that property for two years. That's a long time. And at that same time authorities were forced to acknowledge their earlier failures. The evidence in the ranch confirmed that Christine Collins had been correct. The boy that she had been pressured to accept as her own was in fact not her son, and Walter Collins was almost certainly one of Gordon Northcott's victims here on the ranch. By early September nineteen twenty eight, Gordon Northcott was one of the most wanted men in California. The discovery of human remains and physical evidence at his Wineville ranch, combined with Sandford's detailed testimony, while it made a very made it very clear to investigators that they were dealing with a serial offender responsible for multiple kidnappings, assaults, and murders. Law enforcement agencies in California immediately issued alerts and began coordinating with authorities across state lines. Investigators believed Gordon would attempt to flee either towards Los Angeles or back to Canada, where much of his family lived and given as Canadian citizenship and strong family ties there, officials considered Canada was the most likely destination, so border crossings, railway stations, and major travel routes were monitored, and descriptions of Gordon and his mother were circulated widely, which was very smart because Gordon had not fled alone. He was with his mother, and he had headed for Canada. Shortly after escaping the ranch, he contacted his mother, Sarah Louise Northcott, who'd been visiting California at the time, and together they arranged to leave the US and traveled north through Washington State, where they successfully crossed into Canada. Attempting to blend in and avoid attention. For several weeks, they moved between relatives' homes and temporary accommodations. Gordon's goal was to reach his sister's place, Winnifred Clark, who lived in British Columbia. Now, ironically, this was the same family who made that complaint originally, which triggered the whole investigation, so clearly he had no idea that they were involved in outing him. Meanwhile, American authorities worked with Canadian officials to try and track him. Information from witnesses, family members, and transportation records gradually narrowed down their possible locations, and by mid September, investigators believed Gordon and his mother were in fact in western Canada, and eventually, through action good police work, finally on September nineteenth, nineteen twenty eight, RCMP located and arrested Gordon Northcott and Sarah Louise Northcott near Vernon, British Columbia. They were taken into custody without any fight or resistance. The arrest was immediately reported to the authorities in California and the extradition process began. However, mistakes in the initial paperwork delayed the return to the United States, so instead of being transferred quickly, Gordon and his mother were held in Canadian custody for several weeks while legal formalities were corrected. Now During this period of detention, though both Gordon and his mother, Sarah, made statements to the authorities. Sarah, initially she confessed to participating in the murder of Walter Collins and other crimes. Gordon also made admissions claiming responsibility for multiple killings. Some reports even indicate that he confessed to killing as many as five or more boys. These confessions, however, were inconsistent and often contradictory and unfortunately, were not properly documented in the way that made them fully admissible in court, and as the weeks passed, both Gordon and his mother began retracting their statements. By the time extradition was finalized, they were once again denying any responsibility. On November thirtieth, nineteen twenty eight, after nearly two months of delays, well, Gordon Northcott and his mother were formally extradited to California. They were transported under heavy guard and placed into the custody in Riverside County. By this point, public attention was very intense. Newspapers followed every single development, and crowds gathered whenever the suspects were moved. The idea that a young man and his mother had operated a hidden murder site on a chicken farm shocked the nation. The case was no longer just about a missing child or children. It became one of the most notorious criminal investigations in California's history, and shortly after the return, Gordon was taken back to Winesville Ranch under police supervision. Investigators hoped that revisiting the crime scene might prompt him to reveal more information, or maybe lead them to additional evidence and lucky for them. During his visit, he spoke about killing multiple boys, including the Winslow brothers, Walter Collins, and a Mexican boy later identified as Alvin Gothia, the one who was decapitated. He described using quick clime to destroy bodies and burying remains around the property. However, when he was asked to put these statements in writing, he became very cautious and he signed only a very limited confession admitting responsible for Alvin Gothia's murder. Now At the same time, his mother, Sarah Louise Northcott, made her own statements. In December of nineteen twenty eight, she formally confessed a part timeticipating in the murder of Walter Collins. She told authorities that she had been present when the boy was killed and claimed that she had delivered the final blow. According to both her account and Sanford's testimony, she had insisted that all three of them take part in killing him so that no one could betray the other without incriminating themselves. Sarah described encouraging her son and her grandson to take part, and she said she believed she was protecting Gordon by ensuring they shared the guilt together.
Speaker 3: Okay, that doesn't make any logical sense, but okay, right, it's also super weird how they how Gordon will admit to everything he did and then almost and then basically retract it. He does that consistently, So that doesn't make any.
Speaker 1: Sense, I know, But basically, by Sarah's perspective, I guess like she's saying, like a family that kills together stays together is essentially what she's trying to say, which is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which doesn't sound fucked up at all.
Speaker 1: Not at all, not in the slightest no. Now, Despite her confession, Sarah's behavior remained extremely erratic. During interviews. She frequently contradicted herself and made bizarre claims about her family. At various points, she insisted that Gordon was not her biological son, she claimed that he was a product of incest, and alleged widespread sexual abuse within the family, statements that raise some serious questions about her mental state and credibility. Meanwhile, investigators continued to rely heavily on Sandford's testimony, and by this point Sandford had been removed from Gordon's control and was living under supervision with medical examinations and documented physical injuries that were consisted with prolonged abuse. Psychologists and social workers described him as traumatized but still cooperative. He continued to provide any details he could, Accounts of how boys were brought to the ranch, where they were capped, how they were restrained, how they were killed, all of it. By late December nineteen twenty eight, prosecutors had assembled enough evidence to proceed, and they decided to focus their main case on the murders that they could prove most clearly, and that were the deaths of Lewis and Nelson Winslow, along with Alvin Gothfea. Now, these cases were supported by physical remains, documented disappearances, and strong witness testimony. Now, with Walter Collins's case, although widely believed to be connected, it lacked a lot of comparable forensic evidence. Because Sarah had already confessed and accepted responsibility, prosecutors chose not to charge Gordon with Walter's murder, and this decision would ultimately leave his fate technically unresolved. Technically speaking, now, on December thirty first, nineteen twenty eight, Sarah Northcott formally pled guilty to the murder of Walter Collins. She was sentenced to life imprisonment without a trial. The judge spared her the death penalty, citing her aid and gender of ruling, which was very controversial, especially given the seriousness of her confession. But with Sarah sentenced and Gordon awaiting trial, attention then turned fully to preparing the courtroom case. Lawyers reviewed hundreds of pages of testimony and evidence. Witnesses were scheduled. The state prepared to argue that Gordon Northcott had operated a hidden system of abduction, abuse, and murder, basically all under the cover of a rural chicken ranch. And so Gordon and his trial opened in Riverside County in January nineteen twenty nine. By that point, the case had already attracted national attention in newspapers from across the US sent reporters to cover the proceedings. Large crowds gathered outside the courthouse each and every day, and from the beginning the trial was unusual. Gordon repeatedly dismissed defense attorneys who were assigned to represent him. He claimed they were incompetent, then that he could defend himself better than any professional lawyer, and eventually he insisted on acting as his own attorney. Now, this decision immediately put him at a disadvantage. He had no formal legal training and struggled to follow any sort of courtroom procedures. Once testimony finally began, a prosecution laid out a detailed account of Gordon's activities at the Wineville Ranch. Investigators described what they had found on the property burial sites, bone fragments, bloodstains, personal belongings, and of course, the bloodied acts. Forensic specialists examined how quicklime had been used to destroy human remains, and pathologists testified that the bones recovered belonged to young males and were consistent with violent deaths. Former neighbors and witnesses testified about strange activity around the ranch too, including unfamiliar boys coming and going, and unusual nighttime behavior. Some even recalled hearing screams or seeing frightened children on the property. But the most important part was the witness testimony of Sanford Clark. When he took the stay, the courtroom fell silent. He described in very careful detail how he had been taken to the ranch, how he was isolated and abused, and of course threatened. He explained how Gordon controlled him through fear and violence, and he told the jury about the boys who were brought onto the property and never left. Sandford recounted how the Winslow brothers were killed and buried. He described being forced to participate under the threat of death, and medical experts supported his testimony by presenting evidence of long term physical trauma. Prosecutors portrayed Sandford as a victim who had been trapped in an impossible situation. They emphasized that he had cooperated fully once he was safe and had led police directly to evidence.
Speaker 2: Well, this is I just have to say, a survival story in a sense for him, because it's you know, amazing that he didn't also have the same fate.
Speaker 1: Really, you're right now. Gordon's defense, largely controlled by Gordon himself, on the other hand, was very chaotic and rather ineffective. He admitted in court that he had sexually abused young boys, claiming that he quote loved them and that these relationships were misunderstood. Now, these statements horrified observers, just like you're, ugh horrified, really gross, disgusting, Yeah, and it undermined any attempt to portray himself as innocent, honestly, he attempted to shift blame onto others, including Sandford and his own mother. At different points, he suggested his mother had exaggerated her role and that Sandford had acted independently, and that authorities were framing him. Gordon also called his mother, Sarah Louise, as a witness. Her testimony was erratic and confusing. She repeated claims that Gordon was not her biological son and described alleged incest and abuse within the family. She stated that she would do anything to protect him now, rather than helping his defense. Her statements only seemed to reinforce the impression of dysfunction and instability in Gordon's life, and throughout the trial, Gordon frequently argued with prosecutors, he interrupted witnesses, and made emotional outbursts. The judge had to repeatedly remind him to follow the courtroom rules and all this lack of discipline and legal skill will it seriously weaken his credibility in front of the jury. But eventually, though, they did get through it, and after nearly four weeks of testimony, both sides delivered closing arguments in early February nineteen twenty nine. Prosecutors pushed the physical evidence, Sandford's detailed testimony, and Gordon's own admissions, while the defense well Gordon offered little in the way of any sort of coherent counter argument. On February eighth, nineteen twenty nine, after deliberating, the jury returned with its verdict. Gordon Northcott was found guilty on all counts of first degree murder of Lewis and Nelson, Winslow and Alvin Gothia. Five days later, Judge George R. Freeman formally sentenced Gordon Northcott to death by hanging.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think that even if he had a lawyer, that would have still been the same outcome.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think just representing himself they made it a lot easier.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, yeah, I don't know what he was thinking, Like, he is not a smart man.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 1: He's he's got a screw or two loose, to say the least. Now, the courtroom's reaction was very mixed, because families are the victims. Well, they expressed relief, but also they felt frustrated the bodies of their children had never been fully recovered. Some questioned some questions that they had it was just they were unanswered and open, and for Walter Collins's mother, specifically Christine, the verdict provided no closure at all. Now, Gordon was transferred to San Quentin State Prison to await execution. He was twenty two years old at the time. Now, at that time, death row inmates did not typically remain in prison for decades as common today. Right executions were usually carried out within a few years, and for Gordon, that period between sentencing and death would last less than two. During this time, he wrote numerous letters and statements. In some, he claimed full responsibility for multiple murders. In others, he denied knowing certain victims even at all. At times, he blamed his father, suggesting that Cyrus Northcott had actually kidnapped and killed Walter Collins. In other letters, he insisted he never even met Walter at all. Now, these contradictory claims made it nearly impossible to determine what, if anything, Gordon was saying could be trusted. Psychologists and prison officials described him as highly deceptive and emotionally detached. He appeared to be more concerned with controlling how he was perceived than actually showing any remorse. Meanwhile, Christine Collins continued her search for the truth about her son. Despite Sarah Northcotte's guilty plea and Sandford Clark's testimony, Christine struggled to accept that her son was dead. The lack of physical evidence tying Walter directly to the ranch, while it left room for doubt, and Gordon's shifting stories, only reinforced that uncertainty. Christine actually wrote letters to Gordon in prison, asking him directly what had happened to her son, and at times he responded vaguely. At other times he claimed ignorance. Occasionally he suggested that Walter had escaped been taken elsewhere. Each reply, while it raised her hopes, then crushed them all over again. But shortly before his scheduled execution in nineteen thirty, Gordon sent Christine a telegram. In it he stated that he had lied previously and was now ready to tell the truth about her son. He promised that if she came to see him in prison, he would finally explain what had happened. She had spent more than two years fighting police misconduct, public skepticism, and personal grief, and the possibility that she might finally receive a clear answer outweighed any emotional risk, so she arranged a visit to San Quentin and traveled to the prison shortly before his execution date. When she arrived, however, Gordon refused to cooperate.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, not surprising, but what like at this point, just tell the truth, I know, right, because you're just tormenting this poor mom.
Speaker 1: According to prison officials and contemporary newspaper reports, he suddenly changed his mind. He told guards he didn't even want to see Christine at all, and he claimed that he was innocent and knew nothing about Walter's disappearance. And so the meeting ended without them ever actually meeting and no answers being told.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is really really rude, like terribly.
Speaker 1: Rude, I know now. As his execution approached, Gordon showed signs of fear for the first time. He asked guards whether hanging would be painful, and he requested to be blindfolded when led to the gallows, saying he did not want to see the rope. On October second, nineteen thirty, Gordon Stuart Northcott was executed by hanging at San Quentin State Prison. He was twenty three years old. He died without ever providing a clear, consistent account of his crimes. Following the execution, the immediate legal chapter of the Wineville Chicken Coop murder came to an official end. However, the social, emotional, and cultural impact of the case continued to affect many people and communities for decades. For the town of Wineville, the association with the murders became overwhelming. Before the case, Wineville had been a quiet agricultural community in Riverside County, known primarily for its farm in rural landscape, but after the trial well its name became permanently linked in the public mind with child abduction and murder. Newspapers across the country continued to use the phrase Wineville Chickencoop murders, ensuring that the town's reputation remained tied to the crimes. Residents reported that outsiders avoided the area, property value suffered, businesses struggled, and many locals felt that their community had been unfairly defined by a single man's actions. And in November of nineteen thirty, shortly after Gordon's execution, the town leaders voted to change the community's name to Mira Loma, meaning view from the Hill in Spanish. The change was intended to create distance from the past and allow the town to rebuild its identity. The families of the victims, they faced a different kind of aftermath, though. For the parents of Lewis and Nelson Winslow, the trial body it brought a degree of legal closure, but little emotional resolution. Their son's bodies had never fully been recard and the absence of a proper burial made grief a lot more difficult. The family of Alvin Gothia, they faced even greater uncertainty. His identity had taken years to finally establish, and much of his life and death remained unclear, with only fragments recovered. His case became one of the many unresolved aspects of the investigation. Sandford Clark's life after the trial, while it followed a bit of a quieter path. After authorities concluded that he had acted under extreme coercion, he was not prosecuted for his involvement in the murders. Instead, prosecutors recommended that he be sent to Whittier State School, a reformed institution that focused on rehabilitation rather than punishment. Sandford remained there for nearly two years, and records indicate that he cooperated, fully, worked diligently, and showed strong motivation to rebuild his life. After returning to Canada, Sandford largely avoided public attention. He later so deserved in the Royal Canadian Army during World War II and worked for the Canadian Postal Service for many years. He also got married and adopted two sons. Although he rarely spoke publicly about his childhood, those close to him said he struggled with guilt and trauma all throughout his life. He died in nineteen ninety one at the age of seventy eight. Sarah Louise Northcott remained in prison until nineteen forty, when she was paroled, and then eventually she died four years later in nineteen forty four.
Speaker 2: How the hell did she get out of there?
Speaker 1: I know? Her role in the crimes remained controversial. Some saw her as a manipulative accomplice, while others viewed her as mentally unstable and dominated by her son. Her conflicting statements, though they ensured that her true motivations were never fully understood. As for Christine Collins, she continued to search long after the courts had finished their work. She pursued legal action against the LAPD and Captain J. J. Jones, winning a judgment of ten eight hundred dollars, but despite repeat attempts, she was never able to collect the money, though Captain Jones retired without making sure that award was paid. Of course, she never stopped believing that her son might still be alive. She followed up on reported sightings, corresponded with officials, and investigated any possible lead, no matter how unlikely. Even after Gordon's death, she held on to the idea that Walter could have escaped or been taken somewhere else. Her persistence turned her into an advocate for victim's rights and police accountability. She worked with activists such as Reverend Gustav Briegleb and exposed corruption to mistreatment within the LAPD. Over time, her case became a symbol of institutional failure and the dangers of unchecked authority. Christine Collins eventually passed away in December of nineteen sixty four, less than a week before her seventy sixth birthday, and she was laid to rest with a photograph of Walter placed beside her oh boy. In the end, the Wineville Chicken Coop murders left behind no simple conclusion. They exposed weakness in law enforcement. They demonstrated how easily vulnerable children could be exploited, and showed how truth could be buried under pride, fear, and bureaucracy. Nearly a century later, the disappearance of Walter Collins remains unresolved, his fate still technically unknown, and his story continues to raise questions like how is Gordon Northcott able to abduct, abuse, and kill young boys while operating in plain sight for more than two years? He hid behind the appearance of a small business owner running a chicken ranch in a quiet rural town. There were warning signs though neighbors noticed strained behaviors, a complaint was made about mistreatment on the property, yet none of these signals were taken seriously until a family member forced authorities to act. The investigation at Wineville finally brought Gordon's crimes into the open, but even then the full truth remained out of reach. Bodies were destroyed, evidence was incomplete, and confessions were withdrawn over and over again, and important details while they were lost forever. But yet still we do not know the ultimate fate of Walter Collins. Although Sandford Clark identified him, and Sarah Northcott confessed to his murder. The lack of physical evidence, well, it meant that his death was never legally proven, and Gordon shifting stories only deepened the mystery. By refusing to give a clear final account, he ensured that Walter's mother would never receive definitive closure. Christine Collins's life became defined by that uncertainty. She fought a police department, won her case, and exposed misconduct, yet she never recovered what had mattered most, what she was fighting for. She spent decades following rumors, tracking possible sighting, and hoping that her son might still be alive somewhere. Her refusal to give up became both her strength and her burden. And that's the story of the Wineville Chicken Coop murders.
Speaker 2: Well, Gordon was just a complete asshole to the very end. Eh, he was a lost younger than I expected him to be.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we talked about his age right at the beginning, like he was like, what nineteen or something when we first got the ranch.
Speaker 2: That is so young, And I do kind of like that the mom didn't lose hope, you know, in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But also, it's sad.
Speaker 2: It kind of seems like you would it kind of seems like he wouldn't be alive, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, we have someone who can literally confess to his murder and is incarcerated for it. We have someone else there who is testifying that he was there and he was murdered, so we have a witness to it as well. The thing is, it's the words of people. That's all we have to account for his death. There's zero evidence to follow it, so technically speaking, circumstantial.
Speaker 2: So I imagine none of these bodies have ever been found.
Speaker 1: Then not fully No, there's only some remnants that were found on the property. And I can't remember how many bones fragments it was, I said earlier on.
Speaker 2: But like when they went and dug the bodies up and put them somewhere else, wherever they put them, they were never found.
Speaker 1: No fifty one separate bone fragments were cataloged.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so terrible. This is an awfully sad story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you have whether it was the bodies were moved, or whether it was the lie had destroyed it, a combination, that's all that remained. But there was enough within those bone fragments to confirm some of them, just unfortunately not Walter.
Speaker 2: Which leaves the mom you know, to want to wonder, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chasing answers that unfortunately she'll never get because A the guy's dead, not her son, the guy who is responsible for it. And B he's just manipulating and lying and playing with the whole storyline. Whether he's got a screw loose and he's doing it, you know, because he's unaware and he's just that wildly out of it, or B he's just a straight up psychotic asshole. We don't know. I guess probably both, probably a mix of both. Yeah, either way, he's a douche canoe. I know that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm good for her for just fighting too right to the end and how holding people accountable and stuff for their actions.
Speaker 1: So I agree, yeah for her. Yeah, And you are right. There is a bit of a survival story within this with Sanford. He survived more than two years out on a ranch of hell, and not only that, he fought through a lot of it and made sure that he was there to testify tell the stories. He led our investigators to gravesites. He is one hundred percent the badass of the day, so I want to give that to him. I also kind of want to give it to Christine as well for her fighting for her son. So we have two badasses of the day as that. We have Christine and Sanford both badasses of the day here officially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with that for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well with that, I just want to say thank you for being here. We appreciate you. We are an independent podcast research host. All of it is on our little lonesome. There's no big corporation pull in our strings. It's just us. Not just us, though, it's also you. We appreciate you. We couldn't be doing it without you, so thank you so much for your support. Yeah that's all I'm really going to say today. Thank you very much and until next
Speaker 2: Time, stay wicked.