Speaker 1: We're outside the Travel Agency, a cannabis store that's got everyone buzz them.
Speaker 2: I've been to dispensers all over the United States, but I've never seen one this unique, so nice, amazing vibe, some of the best customer service I've had in a store.
Speaker 3: Blows my expectations out of the water.
Speaker 1: Come down to the Travel Agency and see for yourself. For use only by adultage twenty one an old. Keep out of breach of children and pats. In case of acccellent, ingestion, or over consumption, contact National Poison Control Center Consumer Spots.
Speaker 4: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver. I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at chumba casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No we necessary void over if I lost in terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: No, Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Nope, we're not necessary, dad, where every I lost et terms conditions of eating plus.
Speaker 5: With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 2: Radio.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 7: Good Evening. This episode of True Murder is brought to you by Squarespace. Squarespace is the easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Start a free trial today, no credit card required. Experience Squarespace at squarespace dot com and enter offer co True Murder for a ten percent discount. Edward Wayne Edwards, a misguided boy vowed to be the best criminal ever. He killed scores and scores of people of all ages over a sixty six year period and was never apprehended for murder. Included are some of the most famous cases in the past century. The book that we are featuring this evening is It's Me Edward Wayne Edwards, the serial killer you Never heard of. With my special guest journalist and author and detective John A. Cameron. Welcome to the program, and thank you for agree to his interview.
Speaker 2: John Cameron, Well, thanks for having me on Dan. It's a pleasure to talk about mister Edwards. Most people have never heard of this serial camel and I think they'd be very interested in the story.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, absolutely, it's just mind blowing and so we better get right into it. Why don't you outline your background, which will obviously is very very very important to this case. So give us your background. And you have a famous ritualistic serial killer. You were on a task force, so just tell us briefly what your background was before Edward Wayne Edwards came to your attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly. I was a great false Montana police detective for twenty four years. I retired in two thousand and five at the rank of sergeant of detectives and I was in charge of cold cases for a lot of my career. And when I retired, I went to work for the Montana Board of Pardons and Parole and Deer Lodge Prison, Montana, and my job in that position was to be an analyst for all of the paroles wanting to get out of prison, and that is I would sit down with them in review them, review their cases, and make a recommendation to the parole board as to whether or not those people are deserving of an early release. And in twenty ten, while I was working in this position, I was introduced to a serial killer that just got caught at the age of seventy six in Ohio and his name was Edward Wayne Edwards. And I eventually tied this man to a nineteen fifty six lovers Lane double murder that happened here in Great Falls. And mister Edwards in twenty ten was actually confessing to lovers Lane's murders in Ohio and Wisconsin, and so I decided to challenge him with letters, and that began the unraveling of what he had done.
Speaker 7: Now let's go back for our audience, because sorry, let's go back for our audience to March ninth, two thousand and nine in Madison, Wisconsin, and I have ran a story in the media there of a thirty year old cold case Timothy Hack and Kelly Drew. And let's talk about this case a little bit and how this really happened and who came forward. So let's talk about this news story that was in Madison, Wisconsin, generated from a newspaper there. Tell us why they ran this story, this thirty year old cold case, and what it contained, and then what was the result of them running case in terms of people contacting the police. Tell us a little bit about that. First.
Speaker 2: Certainly, it was a double lover's lane murder of a couple in a car in Madison, Wisconsin named Timothy Hack and Kelly Drew, and it happened on August ninth of nineteen eighty and Edwards was actually living in Wisconsin nineteen eighty. But in two thousand and nine of March, Edwards had a daughter named April who was forty two years old at that time and was watching TV about a cold case from nineteen eighty in Wisconsin, and she recalled that her father had taken her and her brothers to the scene of that double murder. So in two thousand and nine, she picks up the phone and she calls the police and says, I think you should talk to my dad. We were at that scene and he said there were bodies there. So the police actually took the evidence from the case from nineteen eighty and sent it to the lab and they recovered DNA and it matched Edward Wayne Edwards, who is seventy six years old in two thousand and nine, living down in Louisville, Kentucky with his wife who we had been married to for forty three years.
Speaker 7: Now. One of the interesting things about the murder itself was, and I've never read this actual term, was the hyoid bone was broken. Just tell us briefly because that'll be important much later on. I think, as we talk about this killer, tell us about this hyoid bone, and if there is something unusual about that method of killing somebody by breaking that bone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: The hyoid bone is a small bone in the neck, and it's used during autopsies, especially when people are strangled, to see the severity of the strangulation or the injury to the neck. And it takes a very quick, severe hit to break the hyoid bone. And in the case in nineteen eighty, the victim had a broken hyoid bone. And it turns out in many of ed Edwards's cases, the victim would have a broken hyoid bone, and that what it represented was that he was always able to get so close to his victims because of the way he was able to groom himself into them so close and impersonal that they wouldn't even see it coming when the punch occurred. And the punch is it called a rabbit punch to the neck, right to the throat, breaks the necks, not the neck, but breaks the hyo outbone, makes you so you can't breathe, but also makes it so you're going to sit there and watch it as a terror he's going to inflict on you occurs that way, he has complete control, and that proved true through many of mister Edwards's murders over this six decades that he killed and got away with it is that he had groomed his way into the lives of his victims and got it so close to him that he was able to rabbit punch them out of the blue without them even suspecting it was going to happen, and then stage the murder.
Speaker 7: Okay, let's go back to before you really, you know, understand the magnitude of what you're entering in, what the story is, how big it is, and how much it's going to have to unravel for you to completely comprehend this. And I'm sure you get an inkling right away obviously, following your instincts as a cold case detective. When detectives go visit him in Louisville, Kentucky, this vicious serial killer that no one really realizes is that based on the the tip from his daughter and you know, they confirming that he was in that area. Well, what does Edward Wayne Edwards look like, what's his health like, what's his what does he look like at seventy six years old when they do go to interview him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they went down June of two thousand and nine to interview him in Louisville, Kentucky. He was living in a trailer park with his wife of forty three years. He was about three hundred pounds. He was just a really boltonous looking slog you could say. And he knew it was up and he always had waited for that knock on the door from the police. But he was seventy six years old when it finally came. And when it came, here's this guy who's three hundred pounds, who looks horrible, And that's the vision everybody got on Wayne Edwards was identified as a serial killer. Was this three hundred pound man totally out of health? And how could he possibly hurt anybody. I mean, that's really what everybody thought. But what they didn't know is that this man had actually been planning his capture his entire life, but had played a game against the criminal just decided to get caught by sending puzzles and anonymous letters and phone calls to police's whole life, teething them with his identity because his real name was never Edward Wayne Edwards.
Speaker 7: Well, before we get into I guess the questioning, because really what happens here, I guess what we'll talk about is in the result of this questioning of Edward Wayne Edwards, despite his appearance, it doesn't look so vicious, and they don't know the magnitude of his crimes. They ask him for a DNA sample request. What does he do and is what happens as a result of the request.
Speaker 2: He actually submitted to the DNA around June ninth of two thousand and nine, and on July thirtieth of two thousand and nine, they got a match on the nineteen eighty lovers Lane murder in Wisconsin, and it was a match of his semen found on the pants of the female that them and the female victim had actually been kidnapped, tied up risks ankles, hands bound, and stabbed to death along with the male victim. And he was arrested and he was transported to Wisconsin and was arraigned for the double murder and sat in that jail for about a year before he went to the press and announced that he had killed others.
Speaker 7: In that announcement. What did he proclaim in that announcement to the press. Give us the totality of what he wanted to express Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: After mister Edwards was captured, he was held in Wisconsin for about nine months and during the time he was held he was writing letters to police officers all over the place trying to get a deal. That's one mo O Edwards always had is once he was caught on any crime, and he was caught on other crimes but not murder, he would always try to work a deal. And so he started sending letters to police officers in Ohio and Wisconsin telling other murders and that he wanted the death penalty and that he was willing to confess to other murders to get that. Once he found out he couldn't get the death penalty in Wisconsin, he contacted the press in Ohio in June of twenty ten and announced that he had killed a twenty three year old man and beheaded him and collected two hundred and fifty thousand dollars worth of insurance. That case got him his death penalty, but he had actually confessed to another lover's lane murder in nineteen seventy seven in Ohio, trying to get the death penalty, but in nineteen seventy seven they didn't have the death penalty, so therefore he couldn't so in the end, in June of twenty ten, mister Edwards confessed to five murders. Four of them were lovers lanes parked in their cars and kidnapped and tortured, and one was the actual adoption of a twenty two year old man waiting two years, killing him for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for insurance and collecting and getting away with it in nineteen ninety six, while.
Speaker 7: He's imprisoned in Wisconsin. In that nine months, one fascinating thing that of course is the center of this entire book that you have, is that the FBI discovers something very very unusual about Edward Wayne Edwards, So tell us what they do discover the FBI about Edward Wayne Edwards in that interim nine months while he's in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Sure, mister Edwards had a lot of interesting things in his life, but he was really well known as an author, a writer. He actually helped produce documentaries, and he was a public speaker. Throughout his life. He went around claiming that he was a reformed criminal, that back in the forties, fifties and sixties he was a real bad robber and a burglar, but never a killer. And then in nineteen sixty nine, at age thirty six, he came out of Leavenworth Prison and wrote a book, and the book was four hundred and thirty six pages, and it was titled Metamorphosis of a Criminal, The True Life Story of Edwards, and that book ended up being a four hundred and thirty six page murder puzzle. He actually documented his entire life from birth up until nineteen sixty nine when he came out of prison claiming to be reformed, and placed himself in cities all over the country in the forties, fifties and sixties, committing horrible burglaries, robberies, and detailing a lot of this in his book, but what he never mentioned in the book was that he killed anybody. And so in the end, it turned out that his book Metamorphosis of a Criminal was a murder puzzle that he had written in nineteen sixty nine, and he never got identified as a serial killer until two ten.
Speaker 7: Obviously, this man was a masterful con and we will explain how he becomes his con and why he becomes his con, and we haven't gone into his early life, but I'm waiting for the time when you actually discover that and how you discover his actual background, you know, and from his own family and co workers and people that he knew actually knew. But let's talk about his confession to police again and what police are doing with like how you become involved in terms of he's confessing to five murders. But tell us exactly how you get involved, how it is that you become alerted to him specifically.
Speaker 2: Certainly in twenty ten, while I was working for the Montana Parole Board at the end analyst, I was contacted by some police officers and sent a memo about mister Edwards because he was back in Ohio. In June of twenty ten, he'd confessed to five murders, and there were couples that were killed. We knew that he wrote a book, and the book contained the name of the city that I live in, Great Falls, Montana. Only mister Edwards wrote about being in Great Falls, Montana in January of nineteen fifty six, and he was twenty two years old at that time and married to another woman that he'd actually married back in nineteen fifty five, so he in nineteen fifty six, he was actually in my hometown. What we had here was a horrible murder on January second, nineteen fifty six, and it was a little sixteen year old girl and her eighteen year old boyfriend Airman were parked on the banks of the Sun River here in Great Falls, making out in their car when they were approached by somebody who most likely was dressed like a police officer because the way he controlled the scene, and the killer ordered the two out of the car, made the girl tie up the boy with his belt, put the boy on his knees, and executed the boy two shots to the head in front of the girl. He then kidnapped the girl, took her to the top of what's called Mount Royal Road where there's an old Indian burial site, and put her on her knees and executed her. And this case remained unsolved from nineteen fifty six until twenty ten, when I finally confronted Edward Wayne Edwards in prison about it.
Speaker 7: Now, before you get to this confrontation, this book that Edwards wrote, first, tell us about before you actually get a copy of it. And you're going to tell us, tell our audience how how you come to get a copy of this very rare book. And before you got the book, what did you know about it? And then when you want to explain to the audience what happens when you first get that book in your hands and start reading it.
Speaker 2: Well, when I first got pages from the book, I actually got to about thirty pages. Facts to me from a reporter in Wisconsin, because I knew that Great Falls had been mentioned in the book, and there it was that he had been placed in himself in Great Falls, robbing people two people during the time of our double murder. And so I had a friend here in town who's kind of a crime follower, a book reader, and she had the book Metamorphosis of a Criminal and it's a very rare book behind that were I think there were only about three thousand copies made of it. And when we started reading the book, we found the evidence that Edwards was in great falls and our double murder, and evidence of other murders in the book, and the way the book is written, it's now clear, you know, after all this time of investigating mister Edwards, that this was one highly intelligent serial killer. In this book was nothing but a puzzle murder of his first thirty years of killing and getting away with it.
Speaker 7: You know what's fascinating is the book the book cover new show what's an amazing aspect of your book is taking actual photos from his metamorphosis of a criminal and very much like the cover, just to show people this stuff is just amazingly ironic. But on the very cover and again he designed this, he wrote this, he got this published, he had this published, so he was in creative control here. So on the very cover he has he was on the FBI's list of the ten most wanted. He was a hold up man, a bank robber, a dangerous character. He spent fourteen years in five jails. Now he is a writer, a respected citizen and the head of a family of five, metamorphosis of a criminal. Tell us a little bit more because I think it's fascinating too. He even made a religious album, inspirational religious album.
Speaker 2: That he released.
Speaker 7: So this guy amazing. And we're talking about a long time ago. We're talking fifty years ago, said forty years ago. So tell us a little bit more about what you found out about his acceptance as this criminal. And like I say, some of the tours he was on a television program to Call to Tell the Truth, a famous, very popular television program. So tell us a little bit more about some of the touring he did, the motivational speaking he did, which provided him to be able to travel throughout the country while he was on parole.
Speaker 2: Sure, And you know when you look at the cover of his book, it's really the entire cover was a puzzle. What he places there two men on the front cover and edwards was two men. On the top left side is the killer holding what appears to be a knife in hand and ready to attack. And on the bottom right side, on the right is the good side is the man in the suit wearing the hat with the attache, presenting himself as a very highly professional preacher, doctor of Psychiatry ci Agent. How Edwards portrayed himself throughout life. He was two people. He was married for forty three years with five children, and he was a good guy on that side, and then he had this horrible killing side, and he used his family as the alibi. And so when he says that now he is a writer and a respected citizen in the head of a family of five on the front of his cover, that was a ruse. And then he ran around the country portraying himself just as that as a reformed criminal, a good writer. But in fact what he was doing is showing up in their communities, portraying all that, and then killing in their hometowns and setting people up. That was his amo. And so with the title Metamorphosis of a Criminal.
Speaker 5: With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details. With Lucky Landslots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 6: Really beloved, We are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Sri? Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered in luck case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Dagy bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website.
Speaker 2: Really meant in the end was metamorphosis of a killer, the best serial killer ever. And Edwards was always about his count, how many people could he kill? And he kept track of him throughout his life, so while he was traveling throughout nineteen seventies and eighties, showing up in churches and law enforcement academies and lawyers schools and high schools, junior high schools, preaching don't get into crime where you know it'll lead down a bad path. He was actually finding his victims and killing them. And his published publishing of his books and his religious motivational albums were really a sign that mister Edwards was a Satanist. He basically took everything from the Catholics and turned it into Satanism because he was so abused at the age of seven in a Catholic orphanage that he just set out to become the best killer ever. And that's what the title of his book meant, metamorphosis of a criminal.
Speaker 7: In this autobiographical book, as he claims, he talks about his early life. So you just alluded to it. Let's talk about his very early life and how he ended up in an Catholic orphanage and then his treatment according to him therein.
Speaker 2: Yes, mister Edwards was born in nineteen thirty three and he was given the name Charles Edward Myers, and in nineteen thirty eight, at the age of five, he found out that the mother and father that he was living with that he thought with his mother and father, were actually his aunt and uncle, and that his real mother was in prison and was about to be released in nineteen thirty eight, and that his real father nobody knew and his father never cared for him. So when he was five years old, he finds out that his parents that he thought were his parents up to that point are no longer his parents. He's handed back to mother, who has just come out of prison for theft, and within eight months of her coming out, she dies of a gunshot wound to her stomach, but lives for six days from August second on nineteen thirty eight until August eighth of nineteen thirty eight, and after she is dead and buried, they change his name from Charles Edward Myers to Edward Wayne Edwards, stick him in a Catholic orphanage in Parmadale, Ohio. And he's very little, and he's very young, and he's a bedwidder, and he's beaten by the kids, by the nuns, and then eventually sexually assaulted, and by age eleven, escapes the orphanage in nineteen forty five and starts killing people and does it until his capture in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 7: It was interesting you have in the book. You had access to the nun inquiring what a little Charles wanted to be or Wayne Edwards wanted to be. When he grew up and what was his.
Speaker 2: Response, The best criminal ever is what he wanted to be, and that was that age eleven. But you know, people see that the best criminal ever Edwards is every serial killer you can imagine tied up in one because he's not addicted to the sexual side of most serial killers. He is addicted to the kill and the setup of an innocent person. And he's also a criminal, which means he was a bank robber, a forger, fraud artist, burglar, every type of crime you can imagine. He had acede and when he was actually in Great Falls in nineteen fifty six where he killed a couple here, he was burglarizing this town the whole time he was here, stealing everything. So not only was he a serial killer, but he was a criminal and highly intelligent with a very high IQ. So his whole goal was just to kill people, make sure it was someone close to like a family member, that would defall for the crime, and over and over again he set people up throughout the forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, and then in the two thousands he actually became the best at it. The last nine years of his life he had some of the best setups he'd ever done.
Speaker 7: Again, we've got to go backwards because now we have to find out how it came that you corresponded with Edward Wayne Edwards, and tell us about also about the meeting and the matchup with a fellow detective Neil And tell us how that meeting came to be and how you joined forces, and what was the plan on how to contact Wayne Edwards. Tell us about that hole effort.
Speaker 2: Well. Being a former cold case detective, I had that nineteen fifty sixth murder that I was aware of that happened in Great Fall, and knew that I had never been unsolved or never been solved, and so I just decided that I would write mister Edwards a letter and ask him if he would just confess to it. And this was about six weeks into me actually finding out who he was. I had really researched him and got his book and got all of his records and interviewed some of his family and stuff, and I wanted to just see if he would be willing to say, yes, I did it, you know, confess and be done with it, since he was going to be executed anyway in Ohio. And I didn't get a response back. And I had a friend named Neil, who's about fifty five years old, highly intelligent, had studied Chinese and Greek, and had studied the Book of the Dead, had studied Satanism but in a good way, and just was a real puzzle solver. And early on in the investigation, after tying mister Edwards to the nineteen fifty six murder and realizing that he confessed to one in nineteen seventy seven, one in nineteen eighty and one in nineteen ninety six, I knew that he had been killing since at least nineteen fifty six, all the way up until his capture, and his MOO matched that of what was known as the Zodiac Killer, a killer who terrorized San Francisco nineteen sixty eight to nineteen seventy and sent anonymous letters and was a writer and killed couples on Lover's Lanes. I suspected that Edwards could have been the Zodiac Killer because he was released from Levenworth Prison just before it started, and he matched the composite. So I contacted my friend Neil and showed him what is known as the Zodiac Killer's identity cipher, which was actually a puzzle of thirteen characters sent April twentieth, nineteen seventy, and the Zodiac said that when that puzzle was sold, it would name his name, and Neil, having the highly intelligent prane, was able to crack it and it actually named Edward DA which is thirteen characters, the same noun of characters as the Zodiac Killer cipher. And so we confronted Edwards in a letter as being the Zodiac Killer after we saw that cryptogram, and that began our relationship with mister Edwards.
Speaker 7: So that he responded in that he got a lot of correspondence, but he was intrigued, wasn't he? So you really, you and Neil really had cracked this in terms of understanding what he had first expressed in his book Metamorphosis of a Criminal, and then that tie in through the book, through the Egyptian history and science fiction, that Book of the Dead, so you guys put it all together. He was impressed with that that you came to that conclusion, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: Well, that was his whole goal through life, was that somebody identify him, and that's why in the Zodiac case he sent so many puzzles that actually can pained his identity. And once we cracked that puzzle, he actually was thrilled. And I'll just read a little passage which is very interesting, one of the first letters, and it says, dear John and Neil, and this is after we confronted him about being the Zodiac killer and that we cracked the Zodiac cipher's And here's what he said, Dear John and Neil, it's me. You say you won the Zodiac game. I remember a guy in Deer Lodge back in fifty six they called the Zodiac he killed a guy in Great Falls. I maybe seventy seven, but I don't forget things. Good luck with your Zodiac game. If you write about me, make sure you say nice things. Your friend ed Edwards DS, I love you too. We had actually forgiven mister Edwards in a letter when we confronted him, because we knew he was Catholic, and we knew that he was destroyed in a Catholic church, and we knew that that's the biggest thing is Catholics has forgiveness, and he was really actually looking for that. He was looking for those puzzles to be solved and for somebody to relate to what he was actually up to, and that really began a horrible nine months of confronting mister Edwards and exchanging letters and phone calls and just the division that created between everybody, law enforcement agencies everywhere. And it was pretty horrible time, but it was well worth doing.
Speaker 7: Yes, you chronicle the resistance to the evidence that you had uncovered, and so even the FBI. You talk about the FBI. Initially you had a sort of seemed like a meaningful conversation and then it was a freeze out. So tell us about the response from officials wherever you contact. Tell us about who you might have contacted, who he did contact, and their response to this new evidence as you describe it.
Speaker 2: Well, at first they were skeptical. Mister Edwards basically was back in Ohio you confessed to the murders. They put out memos to all the agencies in the country asking if they had unsolved murders, and other agencies all over were investigating him. But what they didn't understand was who he really was and what he was up to. Edwards was always a game player with the justice system, and while he sat in prison those last two years, writing letters to authorities. Every one of those letters was a puzzle that he followed as to what he had really done, and he was looking for people to challenge him. And I tried to explain this to the FBI, to the local police, the sheriff agencies that had murders, but nobody really wanted to hear it because in most cases where Edwards killed somebody, somebody else went down for the crime. That is how he worked. And once a man is convicted of a crime and he's innocent, he's stuck and the system shuts down. And I couldn't understand why there were such resistance to mister Edwards at the beginning, but I found out as the investigation went on that he been an FBI informant in nineteen fifty and never stopped all the way up until his capture. But unfortunately, what he was doing was informing on his own murders that he had already designed to steer the evidence to some of the innocent and set up. And so he became an informant, released out of prison throughout his life for informing on his own murders, and the system shut down in twenty ten when he got identified and hoped it went away.
Speaker 7: His daughter did say that his father was adamant about having relationships with police, and there was times when he was questioned by police and then they would take off in the middle of the night from the area. But there was also he had relationships with, he said, a captain of a police force. I mean, he really went out of his way to have relationships with police officials, didn't he.
Speaker 2: That's actually what his wife told me that when where they moved, they moved everywhere. They lived everywhere in the United States, and from nineteen sixty eight until his capture, he would immediately go to the police departments and make friends with him. But his name wasn't Edward Edwards when he did that, and their names weren't the Edwards family either. He had them under assumed identity wherever he was. But he always demanded to be called Wayne, no matter what his last name was going to be, you know, with his identities, he was always wanting to be called Wayne because that way he could remember exactly who he is and what he's doing. But yes, I have pictures of him in nineteen seventy nine with the captain of the Atlanta Police Department arm around him, saying it's his best friend. Well, Edwards was actually in that city killing children in nineteen seventy nine, and when he got caught there for arson in nineteen eighty two, he had a police uniform that he had been using, and it turns out that is his ruse. He would make friends with the police, obtain their uniforms, impersonate them, and kill in their communities, and then steer the evidence to whoever he decided to steer it to, and then screw with the police by sending letters that would either taunt them or steer the evidence more towards them, any ones to set up, and just over and over again in cities throughout the United States. He set people up and got some executed and some are serving. There's quite a few servings still right now.
Speaker 7: How is it that you, well, what do you actually get from you say, nine months of correspondence and you're pushing for more information. Give us the gist of what you actually got from Edward Wayne Edwards in terms of evidence of other murders.
Speaker 2: Time he was from the time I confined him in June of twenty ten until he died April seventh, twenty eleven. Neil and I we were writing him back and forth by letter, trying to get him just to confess to being the Zodia Killer. But as it went on, we tied him to other famous killings, because that really was his m O and the most famous one that we tied him to right away, besides you know the killing in Great Falls in fifty six and the possibility that he's a Zodiac killer, but the Joemen A. Ramsey case in nineteen ninety six in Boulder, Colorado. We confronted Edwards about that also because the way that Joemen A. Ramsey note was signed, it was signed Victory SBTC, and what it ended up meaning in the end was victory, which is a Christian phrase taken to the dark side by Edwards and SDTC stood fort signed by the cross. The Zodiac Killer was always famous for signing his letters with the cross and circle. And what the cross and circle is is actually the zodiac which goes back into ancient Egyptian history and time where there were very evils such as Osiris and Isis and Herod and just these evil satanic cold gods, I guess you'd call it. In those thousands of years ago days, Edwards wanted to be known as the best killer ever, and he wanted to be known as a godlike image when it was revealed. Because he went on for so long and tied it all to either Christianity or Judaism or Islam. That's how we worked. He terrorized religion because he knew that people would divide that way, and he just let us down a path for sixty years of killing, setting people up, and watching us as the system killed.
Speaker 7: What were the we're going to talk about. We're going to have the ability to talk about all some of these or not all of these famous crimes that he was tied to, and why you did the due diligence, You did the dog active work. Of course you place them there, not he could have been there that he was definitely there. So and then the m's match. But what are the commonalities that you're already seeing in these murders, Because what I didn't realize was the extent of some of the contact with authorities after these murders, the media or end or family. So tell us what you're already seeing in terms of Edward Wayne Edwards, m O or end or signature. The commonalities already that you're seeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, since the release of the book. It's really been amazing. People read the book and then they kind of see the mo also, well, them is fairly simple once you see it, when you're looking at a murder that is all over the headlines. And let's just let's just say in the nineties when the cable news networks were really big on murder cases, when you when you had a case where number one it was somebody killed on a hall such as Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, fourth of July. Edwards was a ritualistic killer, killing over and over and over again on Christian holidays and the twelve days of Christmas between the twenty fifth and the sixth of January, because she's a Satanist, and he would steer the letters and the evidence after somebody else was arrested to look for a Satanist. In most organizations that got letters from Edwards probably blew them off as a nut. But many of his letters contained actually his identity. They were always signed anonymously or signed with Portrade but written by a female. But inside the letters were always clues as to the true identity of who the real killer was. And that's why my letters and Neil's letters to Edwards became so important because he was communicating with us in prison, and he knew they were reading everything he was sending, and they were reading everything we were sending, and it was game of code. And that's what they do in prisons, is they write in code always. That way their letters get through. But he had given hints and clues as to the letters to look for in some of the biggest cases that we attached to him, and in those cases we recovered the letters and there was the identity inside of them. And in the end, as Edwards became very good in the two thousands, he was a blogger and a website owner, and he was actually just challenged, challenging everybody throughout the late nineties and all the way up until his death to identify him on some of the most famous murder sites out there, because he was actually responsible and he loved to go in there and just mess with people and see if they'd figure out who he is.
Speaker 7: Tell us a little bit more about just to really demonstrate this, because I think that you have included in your books some things that are not so common knowledgeable the John Benney case itself, now that it seems to be I guess accepted that the mother that a lot of people thought had something to do with or the father that they had nothing to do with this murder. Tell us how you uncovered that Edwards was involved in the John Benney, tell us the clues he gave you, and tell us how you confirmed it. You guys are doing you and Neil are doing handwriting analysis again. He's breaking code, comparing the book and to the zodiac and those letters. So tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Well. Joemen A Ramsey, who was killed in nineteen ninety six on Christmas, was actually Edward's fiftieth year of killing. His first killing was nineteen forty six January sixth in Chicago, and that killing ended up being a little six year old girl just like joemen A Ramsey, who was sleeping in her house with her parents, just like joe Manae Ramsey, who was lured out of her house, actually came with her killer out of the house into a basement. Dismembered spread around the streets of Chicago. And then Edwards taunted the press with letters and phone calls, and they were very immatureish. They said things like please stop me, I can't control myself. I'm going to kill more and he was thirteen years old when he did it, and that's he actually had started killing when he was eleven, and that would be his amo is to kill on a holiday ritualistically. So when we tied him to the Jemeny Ramsey case in nineteen ninety six, it started to unravel that he actually put up websites to his killings that he had done in forty six from forty seven and the one famous website that everybody should go to if they want to read the true story of Ed Edwards and his first three murders. It's called black Dalias solution dot org and that is the website he put up in two thousand and two, just before Christmas, the two thousand and two and that website was the solution to identify the real Zodiac killer and how long he'd been killing. So the evidence came about. I've been working on it for five years. I published the book about eight months ago, and since the release of the book, all the people that are out there finding the cases just have to look for the person screening. I didn't do it. The press frenzy on the case, the ritualistic nature of the case itself. Are they laid out? Are they staged. Are they missing limbs? Are they beheaded? Edwards beheaded people his whole life, which was a signature Satanic thing, and rounding them and laying them out of water. He did everything based on ancient Egyptian Satanism. I guess I would call it the Book of the Dead. Aleister Crowley back in the nineteenth century who wrote the Book of the Dead, or had to study the Book of the Dead and wrote his own three part book about bringing out a change of you know, murder and mayhem. Edwards studied that throughout his adolescent years and actually did it and continues to do it even though he's dead, because there's people sitting on death row right now that will be executed for his murders, and he will be sitting up in his afterlife laughing at the system.
Speaker 7: Tell Us about you talked about the nine months of correspondence with him, and I wanted to get all of the you know, the murders that you could confirm in that period of time, because then you go on to research after that. So tell us about Edwards's death is demise and how that changes the course of your investigation.
Speaker 2: Certainly we had connected him, of course to the early fifty sixth murder, and then we connected to Joe Maney in ninety six. But there's a fifty year period of what did you do in between? You know, I had no idea the extent of where it was going to go. I thought it was bad enough that he was the Zodiac Killer, that he killed Joe Manet, and that he had been killing since nineteen forty six. I just didn't understand the magnitude of it. And his letters kept telling us that that we didn't know the whole story, because we were kind of cocky with him, telling him we got ya, you know, and he was basically telling us, oh, no, you don't. You don't know the whole story. And so he was in prison up until April seventh and twenty eleven, and I was actually going to go interview him about April eleventh, but he died naturally in prison at the age of seventy seven years old and had hard ailments diabetes. But he had actually always when he got caught, attempted to kill himself in some way. I always wonder if, if, in fact, he he helped himself along. He had actually asked us to send him this candy that he should have never had, but we sent him one hundred dollars worth of candy that he wanted and he was a diabetic and he got it and he did die shortly after that. But I don't know if that played any part in it at all, But it was very strange when we were exchanging these letters with him about this candy issue and why did he want that so badly? So it was the whole letters was just a big game between him and society, and it was the same between Neil and I and him. It was figure me out.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He was never going to give it up and say who he was at the end. And I was naive to think that if I was even going to get to sit down with him, that he was even going to tell me anything truthful. What he would have done is just given me clues to follow, because that's really what it was all about, is he wants it to go on forever, and since the release of the book, it's just unbelievable what he's done. He announced his count in nineteen ninety six on a blog was between nineteen forty six and nineteen ninety six, he killed five hundred people in every part of the country Canada, Mexico and got away with it, and he didn't get caught till two thousand and nine. So it's unknown how manymore there are, but I've found two hundred and about forty now and you can see a lot of that on my website, Coldcasecameron dot com.
Speaker 7: We're going to use this as an opportunity to talk a little bit about the sponsor of True Murder this episode. I don't know if you happen to see the most recent Super Bowl and the very cool commercial for Squarespace with the Dude aka Jeff Bridges, but he has partnered with Squarespace to bring his unique project to life, and Jeff and his friends have created an album of soothing and relaxing sounds, guided meditations, and stories designed to lull you to sleep. Visit squarespace to see Jeff Bridge's amazing website, Dreaming with Jeff dot com. Now with Squarespace, you can create a unique, one of a kind website. Squarespace features an elegant interface and beautiful templates with a dedicated twenty four to seven customer support. Now every website comes with a free online store and a free domain name. With your first annual plan. Your website will scale to look great on any device, and with cover pages, you have a gorgeous one page online presence in minutes.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: Whether you want to create a fantastic website or blog, an e commerce store, portfolio, or all of the above, you can express your ideas powered by an elegant yet intuitive platform. Start a free trial today, no credit card required, and when you sign up at squarespace dot com, please use the opera code true Murder for a ten percent scout off your first purchase. I would like to thank squarespace very much for their support of this episode of True Murder. Squarespace, build it beautiful now, John, you were speaking about this incredible claim of five hundred murders in a sixty six year period of time of killing the book. Once Edwards was dead, you continued to look at this book, and then you went online, like you say, and tried to find out what his presence was online. So tell us a little bit more about the investigation once he's dead, and how you are continuing to find other murders that you can attribute to Edward. Wayne Edwards positively sure.
Speaker 2: When he died April seven, twenty eleven. I really thought that this would be kind of the end of it, and we would write a book about what he had done and that would be it. Well, what actually happened was I took his book, Metamorphosis of a Criminal, and I took a copy of it, and I ripped it apart and I scanned it into a PDF file that was searchable Edward's And because he's a writer, that means, you know, you can catch similarities in his writings. So I was wondering, if he's a writer and he's killing, is he blogging once the computer age came along, because the big years for him were nineteen forty six to nineteen ninety six, and that's fifty years of killing, five hundred killed, and he announces that on Google Blogs on January eighth, nineteen ninety seven, that he killed five hundred people. So I took his book and started searching phrases and that's when I found the phrases in his book on the Black Dalia Solution dot org website, and that began to unravel really what mister Edwards said done, because now I had a website where he actually gives the details of how he did all these killings many years and how you break the codes down. And it turned out everything he said on that website was exactly what Neil had already used eight months earlier, and we were right. And so then it began a process of starting from nineteen forty five and just doing a timeline of his life all the way up until his capture. And that's really what you do in a homicide investigation in any case. You take your victim, to take your suspect, and you do a timeline of their life. Well, mister Edwards had so many victims and so then had set up so many suspects that the timeline took three years to do, and the investigation never stops even to this day after the publication of the book last year. There's so many other murders to talk about that are out there, but it'll never end. And that's really what he wants wanted it to do. He knew it would be revealed, and in the end he began blogging that it would be almost three hundred years he thought before someone figured it out. But we were very fortunate to have, you know, I worked in Deer Lodge Prison. The Zodiac Killer had actually mentioned to one of his victims that he had been in Deer Lodge Prison and I was just in the right position at the right time in twenty ten with the right serial killer dropped in my lap and the right lover's lane murder in nineteen fifty six to kind of unravel the puzzle. And I was hoping the book would be the end of the puzzle, that I knew it wouldn't be. I knew that when it was released that it would just open the floodgates, and it has and it's been fun, but it's also just raining seeing the system still play out to his false leads. And that's what the Zodiac Killer was always about, was the false leads, making fun of the police, teasing them with his identity, saying Haha, I'm smarter than you. And that's what Edwards was.
Speaker 7: Tell us a little bit about another very controversial case, as people know America's most Wanted after what was created with John Walsh after his son Adam was murdered in a This will also explain part of Edward Wayne Edwards's particular mo in a kidnap ransom note but no real interest in gaining a ransom or returning the kidnap victim, so tell us about a little bit about that Adam Walsh kids shipping most people.
Speaker 2: Most people know the John Walsh of America's Most Wanted. In nineteen eighty one, his son Adam, who was actually a blonde haired six year old boy Joe Bne Ramsey was a blonde haired six year old girl. Well, Adam was kidnapped from a store and his head was found floating in a canal a few weeks later in August, actually right around the time that Ed's always killed. Edward's always killed, between the day his mother was shot the day his mother was buried August second to August tenth. Adam Walsh's head was found on August tenth, nineteen eighty one, floating in a canal, and they never did figure out who did it. A serial killer named August Toole actually confessed and then recanted, but in the end, the Zodiac Killer actually sent John Walsh letters in nineteen ninety one, and the public didn't know any of this until two thousand and six, when John Walsh finally went public and actually published what are called the Scorpion Letters. Those letters were actually sent by Edwards, the Zodiac Killer, and it turned out that nineteen eighty one, Edwards was living in Florida and traveling to Atlanta where he was killing children and dressing up as a policeman, and he had killed twenty four little children nineteen seventy nine eighty eighty one in Atlanta, he trialed to Florida and killed Adam All actually in the backyard of one of his ex wives and girl named Marlene, who he was married to in nineteen fifty nine. Edwards liked to go to the towns where he had relatives or an ex wife or someone he knew and create terror, and the Adam Walsh case created terror, started the program America's Most Wanted, and Edwards taunted John Walsh his whole life with false letters because Edwards was America's Most Wanted. And John Walsh did many, many stories on Edwards's murders, but they were always placed on somebody else, because that's really the design of Edwards's murders, the setup. So the John Walsh Adam Walsh case didn't even come into the picture until after Edwards had died, and we found the Scorpion letters and then found Edwards down in Atlanta at the time, an in Florida, and it just really unraveled. What he did is he just killed every type of victim there is, whether it be a boy or an infant, a six year old, a twenty year old, a forty year old, it never mattered. What mattered was to do it ritualistically, create terror and set somebody up.
Speaker 7: What was the importance of lipstick and how common was it and how many murders was it dealt with? And then you can explain the famous lipstick murderer case and this tie in.
Speaker 2: It well certainly. Actually one of his Edwards's last murders was June fourteenth, two thousand and eight, on Fort Bragg, and in that murder, he basically drowned a pregnant female in a tub and he wrote on lipstick with the Zodiac sign. And in that case, a man named Edgar Patino, who was the boyfriend of the drowned girl, actually pled guilty to that crime to avoid getting the death penalty in twenty ten, and case was ended up being one of Edwards's last setups. And I confronted Edgar Patino as to why would you plead guilty to a murder you didn't do? And he sent me a letter and actually the reason that he pled guilty is because he knew that they were going to kill him, they were going to eat They were offering him a deal or the death penalty. And it's amazing the thought process of that. When you have the death penalty hanging over your head. Most people think, there's no way I would confess to doing something I didn't do. But when you have the death penalty hanging over your head, the standard answer I got from every one of these guys in prison on Edwards's murder was how am I going to prove I'm innocent if I'm dead?
Speaker 7: Now. The other part of this is the you have to do the searches to make sure that he was actually in these places at that time. And again some people might say, this is too unbelievable that he's happens to be everywhere in these most famous murders, But yet no one has put it together at all until you guys came together, and with great difficulty, you guys put this together. So the idea with all these these murders that you were tying in there, tell us what again, what that commonality is between all of these murders that you are unequivocal that this is a proof that they're all done by Edward Wayne Edwards.
Speaker 2: The biggest commonality in his murders was he tied them to his book, Metamorphosis of a Criminal. So you have to understand when he wrote that book, he had been killing from nineteen forty five until he published the book in nineteen seventy two. But in the book, he actually created a timeline of where he was, when he was, what state, what city, and what he did. After publishing the book, was went around creating the exact same murders he had done from forty five to seventy two and tying him to the book. That way the mo once discovered is you just have to read my book and look at my criminal records and you'll see I was there. And that's exactly how it played out. I have his criminal records on my website and they go all the way back to nineteen forty nine and they go all the way up to his death. And it's amazing where this man was. He was in every major city of the US, and he had FBI files on him in at least half of the states where he had been either caught for robbery or burglary and was informing so the information actually always came from Edwards. It was always out there, and when the information on the murders wasn't out there, he did it by anonymous letters to either the editors of the papers, the police departments that had the murders, or to the victims' families. And in the Joeman A. Ramsey case, in the end, I received a call from Patsy Ramsey's family here just recently and they got the book. They saw an article about me in the Globe and read the article and they were just astounded and are actually quite upset that the press hasn't said any that family was destroyed basically by the killer himself. And in the end, Edwards taunted Patsy Ramsey through anonymous bloggings from two thousand and two until two thousand and six, until she died, actually giving her the details of how he did it under assumed name. And it's been very horrible. They you know, I knew they had killed Joe Beaney, but I didn't know the details of what he had done and what he had done to them, And after speaking with them, it's just horrible. They were actually from Atlanta, and Atlanta was very important to Edwards. That's where it all started. And he targeted the Ramseys, probably twenty years advance, to kill their firstborn later on in life. That's how he worked. He would groom his way into somebody in the military and take their first burned son or daughter, or set up a husband for cheating on his wife. He picked his victims. He didn't just drive around kidnapping people. He knew who he was going to kill and how the setup was going to go along in advance of doing it.
Speaker 7: You gained a lot of really incredible information from his wife who is married to for forty three years, and very much some of the wives that are wives of serial killers, they claim and have been proven to be unbeknownst to them what their evil deeds that their husband was doing for all those years. Tell us what you did get. What the most profound information that you gleamed from speaking with his wife Kate.
Speaker 2: Well, prior to his wife Kay, there was actually be a wife named Jeannette, And the most profound egent on the entire case came from Jeannette, and she was with him in nineteen fifty five fifty six, And the importance of that is she was a seventeen year old Mormon girl living in Idaho Falls in nineteen fifty five when Edwards showed up under an assumed name with a pregnant girlfriend and basically killed his pregnant girlfriend, kidnapped Jeannette White after convincing her to go with, raped her, and forced her to drive around the country for six months while he participated in some horrible murders in Chicago, Montana, California, Omaha, Nebraska, in Florida, and she was the driver. And the ruse was they would portray themselves as a happily married family man with a pregnant wife, and he'd have a military uniform or a cop uniform, or a doctor dressed up as a doctor, and he would groom into the lives of the people who's going to kill and kill and then drive away with his wife. She didn't participate in the killings, but she participated in the leaving the scene. And she never was interviewed until we found her in twenty twelve, and it was the most intense interview I've ever heard on the phone. She said when she got in the car in nineteen fifty five, within five minutes he had her raped her and that was the beginning of what he was going to do with her. He was just going to drag her around and kill. Then he got caught and went to Deer Lodge to prison in nineteen fifty six here in Montana for Robbrey, and nobody ever talked to her. So he's then's ends up marrying Kay Edwards in nineteen sixty eight after he gets out of prison and does the exact same thing with her, only he does it with her for forty three years, and she was just a wealth of information.
Speaker 7: Well, give us some of that. We don't want to give everything away by I mean, this book is just a treasure trove of this kind of stopped. It's a true crime gold mine here. So tell us about what what did she say? What both of them did say about what he revealed to them. Obviously they weren't witnesses to the murders, But what did they say about some of the things that he mentioned to them?
Speaker 2: Well, their whole life was based like this. Kay and ed were married for forty three years. They had five children, They have eleven grandchildren. And they would spend maybe a year, maybe two years in one place, sometimes in a campground, but always somewhere else. Every two years and burned down the house when they left. Ed was an arsonist. He loved to burn, and that's part of the satanic thing of his. And so he would basically make his wife watch the kids in a campground for months on end while they'd live in the summer, say in Colorado, while he traveled around and killed everywhere around Colorado. She detailed that the police coming over in questioning her about Jimmy Hoffa in her leaving Florida, and this is in nineteen seventy nine, seventy seven, somewhere around there and taking off and going into Atlanta where he starts the Atlanta child killings. So she was witnessed to a lot of events that the police were after it, but she didn't know what he was doing. All she was therefore was to take care of the kids and survive. She's almost as if she has the Stockholm syndrome. She was a captive for forty three years, the worst serial killer there's ever been, and she said she would not have gone against anything he did. He just went with the program. And even after his capture, she just said, I just didn't quite understand it all until he was put away. And now she kind of understands how manipulative he was, but she still can't believe the extent of what he'd done, and she just felt like he was always two different people.
Speaker 7: She had given knew something from her collection, her own private things, an article that Edwards had clipped out and with it was you included in the book and it's profound. So tell us there's two parts of it. It looks like it's taped together. But tell us what was in the more profound part of this? What was included in this that she gave you that Edwards had saved all those years.
Speaker 2: Sure, Edwards loved to save articles about his exploits, but this one was profound because it was sent in March of nineteen seventy one. And what it is. It's an interview that Edwards actually gave the Akron Beacon Journal in nineteen seventy one, and he demanded that they not use his name. But in the interview he says that he knew who the Zodiac Killer was, and that the Zodiac Killer had spent time in Deer Lodge Prison in Montana with him, and that that alone was the piece of evidence that was needed to identify the Zodiac Killer. Because in nineteen sixty nine, when the Zodiac killed the two couple, the couple on the beach at Lake Berriessa, he had said he had been in Deer Lodg Prison, Montana. And what nobody understood was he had been there, but not in nineteen sixty nine. He had been there in nineteen fifty six to fifty nine, and it was a clue. And that interview he gave was a clue put out right at the time, at the height of the Zodiac tear going on all over the country. That article was played throughout the Associated Press and here was the real Zodiac killer telling him to look towards Deer Lodge Prison and you'll find the Zodiac killer. And it ended up being the truth. That's where he was.
Speaker 7: Inredible. Now you've talked about what has happened since this book has been released, and I would imagine some type of firestorm to a certain degree. So let's talk about first the reaction from police and prosecution, those type of authorities, and then we'll move on to the media and the public response.
Speaker 2: Well, the action the action from authorities has actually always been negative, I mean, and it still remains today because the facts are that the killer was inside, and it was guiding you know, missed trials and people being executed and people being sentenced to life in prison. And there's no way they want to open this bucket of worms, and so I don't ever expect to see them come on board on any of it. They just I've always wanted to go away, and the public is divided. I've had a great response from people and calls, phone calls and emails and other cases. But the biggest thing that's come about is I knew there would be many more cases, and it's just phenomenal. When I wrote the book, I had them at around one hundred and twenty murders. Now I have them at around two hundred and forty, and I know that he killed five hundred, so I you know, there's a lot more work to do. But I got so many people out there, investigators that are helping and sending connections to some of the cases. So it's working out really well.
Speaker 7: So you've had some validation of the work that you have, you and Neil have done in terms of from people you respect in that are not tied to these outcomes or these past decisions.
Speaker 2: No, it's to the victims' families. It's been awesome the Ramseys. That was probably the biggest validation of it all, but that came just recently. There's other cases where I've made close friends with many of Edwards's victims survivors, and they see it, but they also see the pushback on this. It's not only pushback from law enforcement, but Edwards manipulated the media. He got inside his own murder documentaries. He was always right in front of everybody and the media. It was really responsible for the destruction of many of the innocent people that he set up because it looked so obvious that they must have done it, so they reported it that way. And that's exactly what happened to the Ramsayes, and that's what happened to everyone in its cases. He was always designed to destroy an innocent person, kill an innocent person, and set up an innocent person, and that way you're not only killing, but you're just creating care and horrible forever. You know it's going to go on a long time because he was alive for sixty six years killing and there'll be many more.
Speaker 7: You don't really make this book an indictment of the media though, or the prosecutors that pushed cases like you say, where a guy pled guilty because he death penalty was on the table and that was it. So it's question for somebody to plead guilty to something they didn't do. But what has the media and who have you approached and what has the media's I mean major media, What has then been their response to the claims that you can wrap up a bunch of unsolved cases or wrongful convictions or both with this book.
Speaker 2: It's been really negative. They have not really wanted to put it out. The only actual international publication that did was The Globe, and I did appear on Close to Coast Radio upon the release and that was a great response on that program. But for the most part, no, the national media is who Edwards as the Zodiac always targeted. It was always about targeting the editors of the papers and the media with the Zodiac Killer and targeting them with false letters. So throughout his life, what he would do is kill someone and hide the body, and then he would lead the media to the body through anonymous letters to the newspaper, and then he would collect the reward under assume name because the body has been found. And he would always pick his victims who were wealthy, so he knew there'd be a big financial gain to plant the body, find it and collect the reward. And then once the innocent man was arrested, Edwards would send those editors another letter and taunt them with you got the wrong guy. There are going to be many, many more letters that he sent. Whether or not many of the news organizations are going to release them remains to be seen. But he always made sure that once the wrong guy went down for the crime, that he would return to the media and taunt them with you got the wrong guy. And a lot of that is the reason why they don't want to expose that Edwards, because it's pretty horrible. It was easy to use reporters for his to destroy people because they don't have to give up their sources source was actually the killer, and so it creates quite a problem.
Speaker 7: Are you surprised or disappointed at the because I believe and I would believe the audience would be listening to this as well and realize that this is a very controversial book just by nature of what you were saying, what you were claiming, and having again the media up ended wrongful convictions. What we thought was the you know, the total of this, It just seems to be a at if you were to explain it in five minutes and be like, oh my god, it almost sounds fictional. How could it be all tied in there? But you state a very very very compelling case. You did dogged detective work to place him here, handwriting analysis, cryptograms analyzed by your cohort or your partner, Neil. This is not a sensationalistic ploy to sell books. You have your background, your credibility is not to be shaken. Have you disappointed or surprised by the lack of the media even giving you a chance to explain the controversy or take the controversy at face value but challenge you. Are you surprised or disappointed by that non challenge?
Speaker 2: Well, I was in the beginning, you know. And I'm talking about the beginning of the investigation back in twenty ten before I wrote the book. I'm really not a book writer an author. I'm a police officer, and I kind of wrote the book in a form of an investigation and just laid it out and let you guys, I'm not surprised at all anymore of the negativity towards it, and I really it doesn't bother me at all. I've had such great response from the victims' families all over the US and from all over the country, from people that were really hurt by this man. That's really what it was all about, and just getting the story out there. I was really hoping that the press would pick up on it in twenty eleven when he died and just put it out there and let the police do their investigation. But they never investigated at Edwards fully after his capture. They know, the FBI never got involved. They never did a full examination of what he had done. And we were able to do it because we weren't police officers. Edwards was in prison and had a lawyer. Police couldn't contact him and say, hey, I want to know about this. I want to know about that, because they had the lawyer. But we weren't police officers, so we were able to confront him. But it really was the solving of that Zodiac cryptogram at the very beginning of the thing that unraveld who he was. He's the Zodiac Killer. He's the real guy, and he's been alive for seventy seven years and he's been killing for sixty six of those. What has he been doing? And the book is about the timeline of his life.
Speaker 7: What was the relationship before we talk about the toll it had on you? I guess this nine months, but tell us just about the relationship that ended up being developed. How trusting was he of you described the dynamic between you over that ensuing nine months.
Speaker 2: Well, it was really interesting at the beginning because Neil and I had both sent Edwards a letter after Neil had stallved the zodiac identity cipher and named Edwards. And when Edwards got the letters, he thought that Neil and I were actually one person playing a game against a serial killer who portrayed himself as two people his whole life. And in the first letter to us, you'll see at the very end it's ps am, I to call you John or Neil, and I knew I had gotten him. I knew I had gotten to him once he answered like that, because that's the exactly what the intention was. Edwards was two people. He was on the dark side and he was on the good side, and Neil and I confronted him like that. Neil knew the dark side and took all of the cryptograms that he had solved and used the words in those cryptograms right back at Edwards, and Edwards just fell in love with it. Actually, Neil forgave him and the two actually became close, and it became very scary for that period of nine months, wondering if Edwards was actually playing planning to get us some way. He actually said in a letter he was sending somebody out to talk to us, and you know, well, what do we expect a serial killer sending someone out to talk to you. He was very scary, and the fact that he died was actually a good thing that man alive. There's not a police officer in the world that would have ever caught him confronting him. He would have taken away someone close to you. That's how evil he was.
Speaker 7: Now, you talk about the confrontation that you and Neil, and you specifically more so confronted him when you did confront him about these past crime Did you ever just coin the question why? Did you ever? Did he ever help to that admit to why?
Speaker 2: You don't know? Because the why of it was so in depth that most people would never understand what he was really up to, you know, because he was religious when he was very young, and because he was put into that Catholic orphanage and then destroyed there, he really played a game against society as running around as portraying a satan. Almost your best friend killing your daughter, you know. So he was so good at the smooth and he was a good looking man. Everybody liked him. He invited everybody in. He didn't have to jump out the car and grab people. They all came to him, they invited him into his house. The reason was he wanted to show society how degraded we've become. That he could kill, and he could set someone up, and he could watch society jump all over that innocent man and then execute him and in the end, you're wrong, and it would show that we have become so dark in society that this is just a repeat of history going all the way back to ancient Egyptian history, which was what the zodiac was always based on. And it was the revelation of we're dark, We're in a very dark spot, and you know, we sit here and fight Isis in America. Well, Isis was actually an ancient Egyptian god, female god, and he portrayed ancient Egyptian gods his whole life. Trying to exact his fans and his religious views on us.
Speaker 7: Now, I also wanted just to mention I did talk about all of the source documents, original source documents, and I find that very exciting to have that kind of information to go along with this compelling argument basically state your case case by case, and so it's very entertaining. I mean, it's really You've got two guys that are on a massive murder mystery that unprecedented, and you have this constant source material from Metamorphosis of a Criminal, which you include in your fine book and the letters and the cryptograms and everything that you want to do to support your case. So it's incredible for true crime fans to be able to read something like this, which is unusual to have these kinds of documents in this kind of proof and you have to painstakely state your case here. So it's very different type of books. So it's I congratulate you on this case by case analysis in a very very unique way, but you know, very very entertaining. So for those people that have been contacting you and maybe as a result of this, want to find out a little bit more about this fascinating book, this case or like I say, some of this original source documentation, or just the incredible past where there's all these videos where he was on to tell the truth and these great photographs are that are containing your book. So how could they contact you, John for more information or if they wanted to correspond with you personally?
Speaker 2: I have a website called www dot Coldcasecameron dot com. And what that website is is my timeline that I did of Edward's life and it's goes through every every decade, thirties all the way up to twenty and eleven when he died, and actually puts a lot more of the documents I have. I couldn't possibly put him all in the book because there's so many, but I've linked up that website to his entire life and all the evidence and documentation, and that website is a growing thing. So if anybody wants to read Edwards's book, Metamorphsis of a Criminal, there's a free copy of it on my website a PDF file and you can read it. It's just amazing when you read it because now knowing who he is, when you read what he wrote in that book, you knew he was a good con.
Speaker 7: Yes, and you know It's very interesting too that I've never actually heard an author kind of state the claim or that this was a matter of Satanism. Everything he did was sort of a homage to Satan himself from his past treatment as a kid in his Catholic orphanage. That everything he did had that Satanic element of ruination. And you know, like I say, wrongfulcs and executions of people that were innocent. You even have a case that you chronicle in here, sister Margaret Paul, and we had author Fred Rosen talking about his book about that case, Saint Wore Across again fantastic, an incredible, almost unbelievable case. Talk about the back of the Black Dahlia and evidence to support that. And the Atlanta child killings, where again another wrongful conviction. You talk about people that were executed wrongfully, people that were accused, their lives were ruined. And this masterful Edward Wayne Edwards tried to provide to the world that he would become this most infamous killer of all time by providing all the clues and puzzles and proof that he was this most prolific serial killer.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what he did. That's exactly what he did. He put it out there to be found and he just was hoping something to challenge him.
Speaker 7: Well, it's incredible too, as you state that this case just seemed to fall into place. You were there, and very many of the stories that I've covered in this five years are stories like that, were a detective, a hard working guy, just happens to pick up the phone at the right time or be there to make that you know, tenuous connection, but instinctually you understand from your background that, oh, I think there's a little bit more to this, and so incredibly you get involved inextricably in one of the most incredible cases in true crime history. So I want to thank you very much, John for coming on and sharing with us the story of It's me the Edward, Wayne Edwards, the serial killer you never heard of.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, John, Thank you Dan for having me on.
Speaker 7: I want to thank you very much and you have a great evening.
Speaker 6: Good night,