Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started, our number two here on a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend, A big weekend. It'll be, no doubt, but no Louisville hoops this weekend. We've talked about that. That's my one complaint when it comes right now to Louisville basketball, is that just I haven't I'm not going to be able to watch him play for an entire week, which may be good for him, although I know Pat Kelsey, if he could choose, he would probably not want his He would probably not want to take the week off because they've just been riding some real momentum. But they'll be back in action on Tuesday against wake Forest. I want to reset a conversation later today about wake Forest, just because the more I looked at it and the more I kind of realized their situation with Steve Forbes when it comes to, you know, him being the guy vocal about the accshoes. He's a big factor in their issues. But we'll get to that later. However, Miyakawa, who is a college basketball statistician, a guy like Ken Palm and Bart Torvik, those guys who kind of have they're just they crunch numbers for college hoops, and someone like myself, who's a big college basketball nerd, I nerd.
Speaker 3: Out for these numbers.
Speaker 2: But he sent this to me in a DM earlier, stating that Lowell is the most improved team in the country of the last thirty days. The Cards have had to overcome more injuries than any team in the country this year, and says they could easily have called it quits months ago. Instead they're surgeing. So yeah, they're rate offensive rate, defensive rate per the Evan Maya numbers here. I mean, they've gone up substantially. And look, that's not to say that they're great and they can't be beat. I mean, look, I don't want to I never want to focus on it or emphasize it. But I'm aware that they're benefiting from playing in a league that is not what it used to be. But I happen to think that even if they weren't playing in the ACC, they'd still look like a team that belongs in the conversation to certainly be you know, in the tournament and maybe even better than just a tournament team. We'll never know, and maybe we find out the hard way that this was all a product of the ACC being what it is. But even if that's the case, I'll just tell you how I feel.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's been enjoyable to see and I happen to believe that they are actually getting better to where they could, you know, be a team that would be a tough out for a team in the NAA tournament. All right, again, it's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Let's bring him in.
Speaker 2: He's the one and only mister Kent Spencer from w h AS eleven. How are we doing, Kent man?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great, buddy, and you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: And before we get into hoops, let's talk some NFL playoffs with the four teams left, these two matchups, I'm certainly excited to see both games.
Speaker 3: Who do you if we could? You know?
Speaker 2: Maybe I know you're not a fan of either of these of any of these teams necessarily, lets I don't believe you are. What matchup do you want to see?
Speaker 4: In?
Speaker 2: What matchup do you think we will in fact see in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: So I starting with.
Speaker 4: The NFC, I mean to be honest with you, like, I don't I.
Speaker 6: Only have I think a dog in one fight, and it ain't even much.
Speaker 4: Of a dog.
Speaker 5: So in the NFC, I could care less.
Speaker 6: But I actually think the Commanders are going to go to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm hoping.
Speaker 5: I think they're super dangerous.
Speaker 6: And Jayden Daniels is like, he's that dude, you know what I mean, you could just kind of tell, you know, certain guys are what they are, Like he's he's him as a rookie, you could tell he's going to be one of those kind of guys.
Speaker 3: Did you see this coming at all? I didn't, And what do I know?
Speaker 2: Clearly, but I thought he I thought he screamed bust and clearly, look, I look very foolish in thinking that.
Speaker 6: Coming into the league.
Speaker 5: I didn't see it coming at all.
Speaker 6: And then I got the you know, I saw it firsthand when he played the Bengals early, pretty early in the season, and I feel like, I don't know if he had an incomplete pass in that game, like he was that good, and I was like, oh, this kid's the truth, and you can see like he can he can read, he can do things. He puts defenses in all kinds of minds. You know, he can get out of trouble the way that he does. And then he's gonna he's got a great arm, super accurate. Like I was like, oh, he's really really good. And then he just kind of took off and he kept and he kept taking off from there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think in the NFC, I think.
Speaker 6: They're gonna they're gonna beat the Eagles because I think Jalen Hurts is pretty hurt banged up himself, and so that's gonna be that's gonna be awful difficult. It's gonna, you know, allow that the defense to be able to kind of tee off on Philadelphia, I think.
Speaker 4: And then uh, in.
Speaker 6: The AFC, I will be rooting for the Buffalo Bills to go to the super Bowl. So and and I think they got an excellent chance if if you think, the game will be called the same for Josh Allen as it will be for Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to that matchup specifically, I mean, the Bills have been great all year, but Bills have actually been great for years now. I mean, they've been kind of building for this moment. I think at least twice there were years where he kind of felt like it would be their year and it never actually happened. Well, here they are with a chance to make it happen and knock off the Chiefs. I just feel like, if you and I know the Chiefs still have a great record, so if they weren't the team that we've known they've been for a long time, we would be talking about them differently. But I just think right now Buffalo is a better team, and I think they're playing better right now. But it's still just so hard to envision the Chiefs not doing what they do here, winning in the postseason at home, especially in these moments. This is where their legendary quarterback really makes an imprint and shows he's a god that we're gonna remember for a really long time. When you've watched Kansas City this year, again, the results are still the same as far as the win lost column, But I just I have not felt like they were the same group.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, I don't think that they are. I don't think the totality of their team is as good as that they've been in years past. I think there are much more gettable I think this year. But they still have Patrick Mahomes and they still have Travis Kelcey, they still have weapons, they still have Andy Reid call him plays uh and Arrowhead is an extremely tough place to play, and so you know, it's it's kind of like, oh what what Rick Flair used to say, to be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Speaker 3: That's true, and it all comes down still holds up today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can you can you.
Speaker 5: Take him down?
Speaker 6: And so it's it's always easier said than done. I think Buffalo is a better overall team, but guess what can you be better on that day?
Speaker 5: That's that's the question.
Speaker 2: I think Josh Allen and the Bills this year are an example that you can have a piece to your team. And I want to I don't want to act like this guy was some big cancer of the locker room. But there was some concern when losing their star receiver to to Houston Diggs that the things they traded him so they didn't really lose them they got rid of him, that it would be an issue and Josh Allen wouldn't have any weapons. I feel like he's he's not worried as much about having to find a guy who he knows will make a clip that'll go viral in the locker room if he doesn't get certain touches. You know, I don't think he's got, you know, this poor cast of characters to work with, like some people make it out. To me, I think he's got some pretty good guys to work with. But you know, they got better without Digs, And you got to wonder, like receivers, well this would be and he Digs was spawn in Houston this year.
Speaker 3: He's a good player. He got hurt late in the year.
Speaker 2: But that's one of the things about Buffalo that finds me kind of rooting for him, is that they actually seem to be a better team without somebody that might cause some distractions. I know it sounds like I'm making some kind of big character bashing of Digs, but you know that was a big talking point Buffalo. Man, they really missed their window. Now they're losing their top receiver. Josh Allen's been good, but they can't break through. And I feel like this year, right now, in the moment, there there is dangers that they've ever been.
Speaker 6: Well, it may go to a little bit about just how good Josh Allen has been right like, and it also says something about the culture that they've been able to build up there with the Bills, because you don't lose a player like and still win as many games if you don't have a dude behind center and you don't have an amazing culture. Yep, because outside of Josh Allen, you know, James James Cook is an I's back. But there's you know, it's not like they're They've got a plethora of weapons of great, weapons of high.
Speaker 5: Notoriety, guys that he can choose from, you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean, Like he's he just kind of spreads it around and does his thing and it takes off and runs when he needs to and they and they end up just scored a lot of points.
Speaker 4: And so I think that they.
Speaker 6: Are they're like the prototypical true culture type team of you know, like they this is the system that they're going to play. You know, that guy behind center is really really really good and we're just gonna make plays around him with some dudes you've ever heard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the winning culture thing is is I mean, I don't think anybody would tell you that that's not relevant. It's it certainly matters. But I think with these four teams that are left, another team you could mention where culture has has has benefited them. Sakwan Barkley, I mean, I don't want to. I feel I feel like it'd be foolish to say that the Eagles deserve a lot of credit for, you know, for what he's doing, because clearly he's he's been amazing this year, but he was in a culture, he was in a franchise that the culture wasn't a winning one at all, and he was good, got hurt, But like, I don't think anybody expected him to at any point have the season he's having this year, rather it be Philadelphia or elsewhere. But he entered a winning culture and it's working out in a major way. This is certainly not newsworthy. It's more of a local connection. But former Louisville lineman who had a really rough stretch with the Jets after being a top twenty pick. I can't think of his name, who's now with the Eagles starting yeah, Becton.
Speaker 3: I mean, he it.
Speaker 2: Sounds as if he's had one of the bigger bounce back years of all the old linemen in the NFL. And maybe it's more so because he grew up and worked hard. But I think winning culture can can really do a lot for guys, And you know, it gets talked about, but I feel like there's some examples at times that that aren't It doesn't necessarily get mentioned as much for being a factor.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, in the case of Berkley, I would almost say it's more of an indictment on the Giants front office. True is that you had that dude for this long and he was he was always like you knew he was a great player, but man like.
Speaker 3: You didn't wait with him and you let him go.
Speaker 6: It was it was it was criminal what you surrounded him with. Yep, and so or or tried to build around him like it was criminal what they did to that guy. And then all of a sudden he ends up in a place like Philadelphia and he has just absolutely taken off and had one of the best seasons we've ever seen from a running back.
Speaker 5: And and oh, by the way, didn't.
Speaker 4: He run for two hundred last week in the playoffs?
Speaker 3: And he's been classy about it.
Speaker 2: Right, A lot of guys, understandingly so would have taken some shots would have had some emotion about it. He's been as mature and professional as as you could be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, no, one hundred percent like and that's and I actually think I said this last week, but I said to somebody, I said, you know, I'm super happy with that guy because he's actually like, we're actually seeing what the kind of talent he really has, and you know, and and and this is like that year and.
Speaker 5: He seems like he's a good dude. Yep.
Speaker 4: So it's cool to see something like that happen and flourish.
Speaker 2: I feel like in the NFL, just because it's such a I mean, it dominates headlines. I mean, the NFL is king in America when it comes to sports for for obvious reasons.
Speaker 3: I feel like you can you can.
Speaker 2: Tell which guys sort of command a level of respect from their peers and their teammates. And you know, even if maybe they don't necessarily it always at all times seem like maybe the most you know, have the most charisma, but you could tell that there's there's real joy around the people are happy for Sequon Barkley, and I feel like that speaks to his character and how he carries himself. And maybe it's corny, but as I get older, those are things I kind of found myself paying attention to more and what it comes down to. And I know you get this as a dad yourself. That's a guy that I I want my son to be a fan of, Like that's the guy who does things the right way.
Speaker 6: I'm getting old on you, kid, No, no, no, absolutely, Hey, welcome to the club bub. And you know with with Barkley, you know like if it hurts, it really is banged up, we're gonna we're gonna have to see if if he can carry that team to the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: And do it one more week.
Speaker 6: And you know what, I'm all in because they've got a great offensive line.
Speaker 5: Let's let's see what they drow up.
Speaker 2: It may not be what the NFL wants as far as viewership or interest, but I feel like it doesn't really for me. I think people are going to watch regardless because it's the NFL. But man, I would love to see a matchup between the Commanders and the Bills here. But I'm sure, and clearly for good reason, the favorites or the other teams in those matchups. Before we get to a little of basketball, they don't have a game this weekend, but I do want to. We'll talk about them coming up in just a minute. But with Kentucky, they've got a game against Bandy tomorrow and obviously nobody in the SEC seems to be bad. In fact, if Andy's one of the worst teams in that league, I think that says a lot about that league because the SEC is in a position now in basketball that I really never thought it would be. I think you could make the claim, and I know in basketball it really comes down to what you do in the tournament. That's where the real value comes in and that'll never change. That's just what makes college basketball unique. But as of now, I think, what but the SEC is in basketball, it's as impressive as anything I've seen the SEC doing football. And that's not a shot at the SEC and football, because they've been great, But I mean the SEC right now, they are quite literally the best conference in the country and it's not even close. And Vandy's a game that you should win. If you're Kentucky, you expect to win because I think you know you're a better team. But I think what's been a real I guess not much of a storyline. But when you're Kentucky, or you're in Alabama, or you're you're a Tennessee or I mean all the great teams they have in the league, and you play somebody that is in that lower tier, I think those become the more valuable games because if you slip up there, it makes it even more important for you to not have maybe the expected losses when you go on the road to Tuscaloosa or Lexington or Knoxville. I mean, I kind of feel like, in a weird way, this is a huge game, but again, I guess every game in the SEC is. Kentucky is obviously off to a great start this season. They did come up short against Alabama, first time somebody beat them where it felt like both teams played great and Alabama just outlasted them. What do you think about this matchup here with Vandy? And you know, I think Kentucky they could be one of those teams that maybe has more losses than we're used to seeing for a team that's on that one, two or three seed line. Maybe not one, but I still think the resume is going to be really strong.
Speaker 6: Well, and and let me let me just say this right like it's A. It's a it's such an important game because you lose to Alabama last week at homes, you're at Vanderbilt this weekend, and then Tuesday night you're at Tennessee.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty that's a pretty rough three game stretch.
Speaker 6: And by the way, they they haven't had a what what anybody would think is an easy night so far in SEC plays.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure they will.
Speaker 5: That's why, Yeah, you're right, that's why I bring that up.
Speaker 6: And you know, this Vanderbilt team that Kentucky gets, you know, you talk about the importance of it.
Speaker 4: You know, they just beat Tennessee last weekend, So this, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, this Vanderbilt team is good and they're dangerous.
Speaker 6: And you mentioned, you know how good the SEC team SEC is so for this season, you know, I think a huge indicator of all that was.
Speaker 5: How they did in the non conference portion of their.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they earned doubt when they beat up on each other.
Speaker 6: They they because because right now, you know, they're beating up on each other, but in the non conference, like the SEC, like they they're, their win loss record against everybody else was really really good and so like they they they proved it in the non conference. Now they're beating it now, beating themselves up, and then you're right, we'll we'll see how how they perform and how you know, deep teams go in the n C DOUAA tournament. But no, I think the conference is fantastic. I think it's I mean, we're talking the Big Twelve A couple years ago. I thought was was was really really good, and then you know this, this almost feels you know, maybe not because of the transfer portal and guys being older. It doesn't really feel like you have a bunch of the marquee names that you that you once did, but it feels like a nineties kind of ACC type type conference right now.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think what's different about this SEC run compared to the Big Twelve a couple of different times, was that the non conference, as you mentioned, they went out and played. I mean they scheduled everybody, seemingly scheduled as tough as you could against other teams in Power Power five leagues, Big East, Big twelve, ACC, Big Ten, and I mean their record, I don't have it in front of me, but I know it was very, very successful. And you've got teams that are in the bottom three or four in the SCC that went out and beat some of the better teams you have in the other conferences. So it really is something that I never expected to see. And I mean, even if they don't end up making all making deep runs in the tournament, it won't make it won't make me think that they still weren't really good teams. And you know, I think you could see maybe not as many teams in the in the tournament as you've ever seen from a conference, although that wouldn't shock me. But man, when it comes down to teams with like maybe five hundred records still getting really good seeds, I think because of what they did in the non conference, it it would make, It would make total sense. It sounds like Mark Pope this week really once to emphasize this guys getting back, getting to the foul on and not being in a deficit when it comes to free throws compared to their opponents. I think this Kentucky team, again, they're kind of boring to talk about because I know they could lose to some of these good teams they play, but they could also come out and beat anybody and it really wouldn't shock me. They're pretty balanced they've had different guys kind of step up and take over. What do you think as of now, as of late January, for this team to maybe find themselves in a final four, of course, easier said than done. What would you say would be the biggest emphasis for this group to improve on.
Speaker 6: It's for them like for the rest of the way, honestly, like it's all defense, you know, it's and more importantly than getting to the line, it's keeping teams off the line. Yeah, And that's what they've done. They've they've fouled a lot, They've put teams on the line.
Speaker 5: I think I looked it up yesterday.
Speaker 6: Their opponents just an sec play now, their opponents are have shot thirty seven more foul shots than they have. And it's not like they're they're shooting a small amount. They're just putting teams to the line a bunch. I think Alabama went to the line thirty some odd times last week. That's a lot of that's a lot of foul shots, a lot of yeah, and that and that and that is what allows you know, teams to be able to hang around with them at times is to do that. And so and I still think.
Speaker 4: They've got a little ways on their on their.
Speaker 6: Pick and roll defense that they got to work on. But they've gotten tougher. You know, they they're usually pretty good when they when they're team rebounding on the on the defensive end, but you know, they've got to be probably more dedicated to that. But I think for them like that next level, it's all you know, suing things up on the defensive end of the floor.
Speaker 2: Now with Louisville, I mean, I find them also here lately. I wouldn't say boring to talk about. It's it's a good story and it's starting to become a bigger story within college basketball. But I feel like I've been doing reruns on this show for a few weeks now because I mean, I've been saying the same thing. Man, I just love watching this team play. I don't know what they're seialing is, but it seems to be a little higher each and every week. What what about this group in January as they put together this this winning streak it's now up to nine. Is there one specific thing that you've that you've seen more than once that you're you think back and say, Wow, I never thought we'd see that. I thought maybe they could finish strong and maybe win some games, maybe make the tournament. But what is I guess surprise you the most about this group when it comes to this run that they're on right now.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't even know if it surprises me, but it was just something like it's something that they have to have and they can never lose it. They have an unbelievable like grit to them and competitive spirit like they don't they're not giving up anything easy, Like whatever you get.
Speaker 4: You've got to earn.
Speaker 6: And they and they're attacking you on the offensive end, you know, I'll be it in most nights, in most positions they're undersized.
Speaker 4: But you can't tell because they're absolutely teams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so like the fact that they've really kind of developed that and that's almost you know.
Speaker 5: I almost feel like it's kind of their their calling card.
Speaker 4: Nick As.
Speaker 6: Look, yeah, oh yeah, whatever you're gonna get, it's not it's not gonna come easy. And if you can do that on a night to night basis, then you give yourself a chance every time you put your put your shoes on to hit the court.
Speaker 2: And that's what has me from a fans perspective, I'm just enjoying the ride. It's been a lot of fun. Love this group, love watching them play. But what has me, I guess, unable to kind of just fully embrace, Hey, whatever happens, whatever, this is a great first year. It's been a fun ride. I think the future is bright, like all, that's true, But I think what's made them, you know, look the way they have and have this success is something that one is pretty easy to control. You may have an off night, but I mean it's not something that's really dependent upon luck. And they've done it so consistently as of late that and they seem more sure of themselves every night they hit the Florida where you know they they're gonna play better teams if they if they make a in the tournament, because the a CEC is what it is. But yeah, they I think what you said is spot on.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 2: I mean, clearly they've got some good balance. You've got a guy like Chucky Hepburn that that can go out and get sixteen assists on a night, and rain Smith ten threes probably won't happen again for him because it never happened other than one other time at Louisville before he did it the other night, but you know, he can get hot. So they've got good players. But it's a collection of good pieces and they just bring it every night. And there's a there's a level of desperation. Doesn't sound like the right word to use, but it's the one that came to mind. But they do play. They come ready to play, and you know, even whenever they have stretches of struggles or you know, I mean they needed they needed a I mean, they needed a late I think the team we saw nearly lose dKu is a little different now, just because I think they've made a lot of improvement since then. They clearly are a lot more sure of themselves. But yeah, they just they've been really really fun to watch. And I guess last question about Louisville hoops is how much do you feel? I mean, because I wish I could, I wish I could take a different approach.
Speaker 3: But I think the AEC is really bad.
Speaker 2: Man Like I don't want to say that, and I certainly am not discrediting Louisville, but I think the ACC League and hoops is is insanely bad and you know, nothing you can do about it. You got to play who you got to play. But I'm just curious from your perspective. I'm an rejective perspective. You know, how how far is this league fallen?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: I mean look it stakes right, yeah, no, it's terrible. And and with all due respect, I mean I mean honestly, like there's there's talk and I don't know how.
Speaker 5: How valid it is.
Speaker 6: They're like North Carolina maybe in the in the market for a basketball coach next year, right, yeah, Like, I mean it's not it's not crazy to see if they if they if they continue down there the dive and and so many people, you know, kind of projected North Carolina to be, you know, in that in that top four echelon in the conference. You know, look, North Carolina State, they make an unbelievable run last year to the final four.
Speaker 5: That kind of like helps validate the league a little bit.
Speaker 6: Look, let's be honest, Like there was talk that Kevin Keats was gonna get.
Speaker 2: Fired, he would have he nearly lost to Louisville in the a SEC Tournament.
Speaker 6: Right, Like, I mean, there's so much so that was just like, look that was they did great, they got hot, but that's a fluky.
Speaker 5: They were a bad team.
Speaker 2: Lest Oh, absolutely, you know what I mean, Like, so let's let's do the outlier is that run quite literally?
Speaker 6: But so the ACC is really really bad. But if but honestly, like if you're a Louisville fan who cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. I mean, I care because I want it to be good. But as far as enjoying Louisville, yeah, it's not impacted me.
Speaker 5: Like in the in the.
Speaker 6: Last couple of years, it was so bad for Louisville, like this is this is Honestly, it's great that the ACC stakes.
Speaker 5: This year because then you get to win a bunch of games.
Speaker 3: Yep, you've been able to benefit from it.
Speaker 6: Not that Louisville wouldn't have won a bunch of games if it was a better conference. But you know, you get what I'm saying right Like you're you're in a nine game winning streak right now, and everybody is on cloud nine.
Speaker 4: They're just enjoying the ride every minute.
Speaker 6: Now the conference does at some point it's got to get it's got to get better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can't just.
Speaker 6: Be like Duke and then everybody else. That's just not going to be sustainable. And that Pat Kelsey continues on the trajectory that he is with with Louisville basketball. It may be Duke and then Louisville and then everybody else, but like, come on, you can't have that.
Speaker 5: It's got to be better than that.
Speaker 2: What keeps me positive about the future is just knowing that these are institutions that they need their basketball programs to be good. And it just was a weird timing where there were a handful of gigs that are good jobs that ended up really not having a full search and just kind of went to the next man up or the next connection. And louis is one of those programs that did that, and they they've made a different decision since then, and it's clearly working out. And I think you may see that with Carolina. The hire of Virginia I think will be huge. Miami is a program that can certainly succeed in basketball. I don't know how long Leonard Hamilton's going to be around, but that's a program that can win and Notre Dame. You know, I still think that's a program that you could have, you could see having success. Syracuse another example where they handed it off to Behaim and and you know, the guy that was next up for him has not done well. But you know you're seeing it. I mean, if you'd have told me ten years ago, and I know you were, you were, you were covering college hoops just like you are now ten years ago. Imagine telling someone that we'd be here in twenty twenty five, Kent in the SEC would be what it is in basketball, and the ACC would be what it is.
Speaker 3: It'd be nobody would believe you.
Speaker 5: I to called you a liar.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's crazy, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no.
Speaker 6: No, but but here here we are in the year of our Lord, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: And this is and this is the case.
Speaker 6: But yeah, but like you know, you name all those and Louisvill'.
Speaker 5: Was gonna host Wake Force coming up on Tuesday night.
Speaker 6: Like so many of these schools, they have the bones to be really, really good. You just have to have the right people in place, yep, and to be able to honestly to handle, you know, the changing.
Speaker 4: Landscape of college athletics.
Speaker 5: Some of them haven't handled it great.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: They've got some built in things within these programs to where you need to get a good coach, of course, but it doesn't have to be somebody that it's you know, the biggest name that's going to command the biggest salary. If it's a guy you know, I don't know how many Pat Kelsey's that are out there, but a guy that will really utilize what's there and understand, Hey, if I can win here or there that's a lower level, then man, there's no reason why I can't win at some of these places.
Speaker 3: But can't.
Speaker 2: You always have been gracious with your time. Really appreciate it, enjoy the conversation, have a great weekend, and we will talk soon.
Speaker 4: My friend, absolutely, thanks brother, take care.
Speaker 2: Ken Spencer, whas eleven, always appreciate his time. A good convo and one that usually lasts a little longer than it should, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: We sacrifice.
Speaker 2: We we make some extra time because that's how much I enjoy talking sports with Ken Spencer.
Speaker 3: So let's get to a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back a couple of segments here in the four o'clock, but we're taking you up till six, so hang out. We'll get your set for the weekend right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So we have some early lines for tomorrow here at DraftKings. I've seen if we had any and he spreads on the big games tomorrow, and I guess we do for at least one of them. Tennessee Auburn a huge game tomorrow night in the SEC, and currently Auburn minus six and a half, which totally understand the line. Think it's a perfect line, meaning I probably shouldn't shouldn't touch it. Tennessee bounce back big with their win against They lost of Andy of the weekend. Who Kentucky plays tomorrow, But Tennessee bounce back with a really impressive performance against Tennessee State.
Speaker 3: Is it Chas Lanier? That is his name, that's his name.
Speaker 2: That's their sharpshooter who transferred in from I believe Florida, North Florida. Maybe, but he'd hit a little bit of a of a shooting slump and he got hot in a major way. Think he made four threes in the first half against Mississippi State. So I kind of like Tennessee plus six and a half there. But obviously Auburn, even without their star player, has been really impressive. So other games that have some lines. Kansas minus went against Houston tomorrow, another good game, and then rutgersy Michigan State. Don't know how good of a game, that is, But Michigan State been hot as can be there minus five and a half at Rutgers. But as I look here at tonight's games and just seeing kind of what's available, shout out to the Big Ten for deciding to Maybe they didn't decide, maybe it was their TV network, Fox who made this requirement when it comes to their games, But they have a lot of good Friday night college basketball games and that's a good real estate to get into.
Speaker 3: I think now. I know Friday nights are.
Speaker 2: Not usually big nights and sports, they certainly can be dependent upon, you know, like this year, I know there were some games in the College Football Playoff that we ru on Friday nights and those are clearly appointment watching if you love college football. And there's so many college basketball games usually going on at the same time that you know, you really just prioritize either who you like and who you want to watch, or who you bet on that kind of stuff. But college basketball could do better when it comes to growing interest outside of the areas where there's always going to be interest. It'll never compete with college football when it comes to viewership and popularity. But you know, I think spreading out games could could benefit Like same thing goes in college football. Like for example, I've always said that for Louisville and Kentucky, there's never a scenario where they're going to get their rivalry game on. Well, it's never going to be viewed as a rivalry compared to the big college football rivalries. So therefore playing it on the same day that everybody else has the rivalry game, it's never made a lot of sense. I think the two or three years that had happened where they played their game on the Sunday of the holiday weekend, right before the NFL Sunday started, that it never you know, it wasn't like everybody's watching because they're just dying to see who wins the Governor's Cup, But it just seemed like, hey, that's an area where you could least stand out a little bit. And I just always prefer when the game was was.
Speaker 3: Was the first game of the season.
Speaker 2: But I have learned that when it comes to these kind of things, the TV networks, they're the ones who pay a lot of the dollars to have the rights to broadcast these games, and that's the biggest check that these schools get every year, the grant of rights share that you get from being a member of the SEC, the Big Ten, and whatever conference you're in. So if they say you're playing on this night then or that day, then that's when you're playing, all right.
Speaker 3: It's coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Philbou Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety So Notre Dame earlier this week lost in the National championship game to Ohio State, and Marcus Freeman clearly looks like he's got things headed in the right direction. And I saw something during the break on FootballScoop dot com. Actually it was from our guy, mister Zach Barnett, who is our college football insider who joins us to talk college football throughout the year he works for FootballScoop dot com. He made a good point. And so, Shane Gillis is a big comedian, really popular. I imagine there's not many of you listening that don't know who I'm talking about when I say Shane Gillis. I was late to the party on him, and I'm certainly not the president of his fan club. I know there's others that really like him, more into him than I am, but I now get like I think he's hilarious as well, and I think he's really funny, but it's a different it's a different it's a different type of comedy. I guess, like to me, he's he's just a different kind of funny, but he's still really funny and I like him, and he's a big noted am fan. So he revealed and I guess a podcast of his or a podcast that he was a guest on, that at the game on Monday, he got a chance to talk to the team beforehand. I guess he talked to them Monday morning, the day of their National championship game. And he reveals that he talked to them, but he also said kind of right after saying that, And I'll read the quote here. It says, yeah, I'll read directly from Awful Announcing dot com and says the comedy star made the revelation during the latest episode of Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast, which featured comedian Drewski, who, by the way, I think is maybe the funniest man on the planet. But Gillis described the experience as awesome, while admitting he wasn't sure he was supposed to be sharing that he had spoken to the team the morning of the game. Quote, he was asked if he gave them a pep talk, he said, I did. I met with the boys in the morning, gave them a little chat. It was incredible. I think I'm not supposed to talk about it, but no, that was awesome. I got to meet Marcus Freeman before the game. And then of course he just went on to talk about how much it meant to him. And it's led to people wondering why would he not be allowed to talk about it, like what would be the issue? And Zach Barnett's comment was, let's see. He says, well, here it is.
Speaker 3: Where is it? Where is it? Where is it? I just saw it? Uh No, I can't find it.
Speaker 2: But he was basically asking why do college football programs feel the need to hide something like that, Like what are they worried about? Yeah, he says, why are Coller's football programs incapable of embracing celebrity support while keeping a safe distance and from their perspective, like if you're Notre Dame and you're wanting to keep it quiet, I would imagine it's because you just are trying to have void avoidable things, meaning what's the benefit of people who know Shane Gillis is a super Notre Dame fan talking to the team like other than saying, oh, that's cool, I like Shane Gillis, like you, what do you stand to benefit from that being public? Not much of anything? If if anything not you know, maybe just like a oh it's cool they let him do that. What do you stand to lose? And I don't think this would have happened, but I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes. They're worried, and it makes sense, like if I was in the position of like PR media relations, that kind of stuff, you don't want anybody weaponizing it against you that your team might have lost because a jokester comedian talked to them today of the game, and it was like a thing where hey, we're going to have this guy talk to you. Like I think in twenty twenty five, we're to a point where I don't think the mindset would be, oh, that's why they lost. They weren't because they let a they let a comedian come in and motivate them. They were out there giggling on the field because Shane Gillis is just so funny. I mean, that sounds ridiculous. I hope you can understand sarcasm, but like if enough people run with that, maybe it would be a believable thing that that's why they lost, so that that would be my explanation. But I mean exports is entertainment and being able to do what I do and this being sort of you know how I you know, this is my job and it's it's a dream, but it's also made me understand that element of entertainment to where there's quite literally.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it means so much to us because like our weekends are ruined if our team loses, and and we all know how it works, right, if you're a diehard fan and you've made that emotional investment as a fan, there's a there's there's some roller coaster rides that come with it, right, the good and the bad, But it's all because it entertains us. It's an escape from our lives. So I just wish there was more more in Brak. More there was more programs that we're willing to embrace that in sports because at the end of day, it's all entertainment. So anyways, Shane Gillis talked to the Notre Dame team and now it's become a story, which I feel like, I think Shang Gillis could have said it, but I think in the moment he was so happy to share it because he's a diehard fan, but then he realized he might not supposed to be sharing it, so then he put it out there, like I don't know if I'm supposed to say this, but that's actually what made it a story more so than than it ever would have been that he was not supposed to talk about it. And I don't think he did anything intentional to bring attention to it, but I'm glad he did because it should be an eye opener, like we don't need to, Like, there was no scenario that a three to four minute conversation whatever it was, would have had an impact on the way the team played that night, and if so, that wouldn't be Shang Gillis's fault, that'd be their fault. All right, quick break, We'll come back for a quick segment to wrap up the four o'clock hour, and then we've got another hour to go. Taken you up till six o'clock, getting your step for the weekend right here. Coffee and Company Fiel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven. We were wrapping up the four o'clock hour, getting set for the weekend. Not a lot of time left here before we have to take another quick break. Apologies, we always go a little along with Kin Spencer. But it's worth it. It's worth it, at least I believe it is. I know it is, actually, but it's never ideal to have, you know, really quick segments to end an hour. But you know, if anything, we're consistent, right or I'm consistent. I say we because I guess I'm trying to deflect some of the blame. But it's all my fault. But I think, I mean, I don't think my wife would mind me sharing. This could be my famous last words. But again, consistency. I make fun of myself a lot on this show, and self deprecation has seemed to work for me. But a real parenting fail on our end, I mean more so hers if I'm being honest. But you know we are one right. Today we sent our daughter, well, I took our daughter to school in her pajamas because we thought it was pajama day. I just found out Monday's pajama day. So my kids showed up in pajamas with nobody else in her class wearing pajamas, and luckily she won't care, and she won't notice that she's the only one wearing pajamas, and she'll be having fun. She loves school, and that's great. But you know, just you know, avoidable, it's an avoidable slip up. But you know, it happens from time to time. In fact, I have a really sad it's not real sad. It's actually it's funny. But if you think back at the time, I guess it would be sad. But my brother in law he shares this story from time to time, and it's probably a story that comes up whenever, whenever, you know, he's asked about like being embarrassed. And this was when he was I think in either late elementary school maybe early middle school.
Speaker 3: He got dropped off. This is pre cell.
Speaker 2: Phone right, Like when we were growing up, there weren't I mean, cell phones weren't a thing for really any anybody that you know wasn't an adult business professional when I was a kid. But by the time I got to like high school, like my junior year, I guess that's whenever cell formes became much more common, and in fact, like, it wasn't that crazy for somebody that wasn't an adult to have one. I think I had my first cell phone whenever I was sixteen, but they were still relatively new at that time. But you know, go back five six years before that, they were really rare. So he got dropped off at a friend's house for a Halloween party, dressed up for Halloween, and it was the week before and he was the only one there and he got dropped off and his dad left, so he just knocking on the door and he's dressed up as I don't know what, but I'm sure it was, you know not. He was probably a pretty obvious costume. And the young lady who was having the party the next week was not there. It was just her mom, and here he is at the front door, dressed up. I don't even know what it was. And she had to say, you know, who are you? What are you doing here? I'm here for the party, and she's like, well, that's next week. So he had to then borrow their phone and call his dad to come back and get him. And always think like, man, that would be tough tough to take, but yeah, communication's key, and I don't know where we got mixed up, But here I am walking my daughter into school today like they can not. I guess maybe it's more so on me. Not really, I wouldn't done anything about it at the time, but I didn't even realize as I'm taking her in school and her pajamas that you know, nobody else was wearing pajamas. They're dressed as most kids would typically dress for school. So if anything, my daughter benefited, she she got to wake up and not have to change clothes to consecutive school days because certainly on Monday she's going to participate in pajama Day when it actually is pajama day. I don't think we get pajama day around here. Although we work in radio, they're lucky we wear clothes. I guess you know we don't. I mean, this is the one this is the one job where it comes to like what we do. It'd be really hard for them to tell me that what I wear matters now meetings being professional.
Speaker 3: That's that's one thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wouldn't come in here where and you know something crazy, But there's no scenario you could try to tell me that what I'm wearing while I'm working is really important. I mean it can't be right. Got a face for radio and a style for radio two. All right, five o'clock hours, next, one more hour to go. We'll finish strong. Get chatter for the weekend. It's coffee and company. Filbeth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety