Speaker 1: So far, the biggest tool of the day is Dave Jenny's antony Vannetti. Man, way to go, dude. That what cool. You knew that the new president of the company was coming in. Neither one of you said anything, and I wore my showing me your butthole shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could have gave me a heads up, dude, and I did my research, so he does. He likes to summer in veil and the hat that I have on, yeah, Vail, Colorado.
Speaker 1: Such a dumb ass. Huh huh.
Speaker 2: You know, I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: You know what they say.
Speaker 2: They say, I want to say I summer somewhere.
Speaker 1: At some point I do too, you know, and then say, oh, do you know the Henderson's They summer there as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, those are the summer in Henderson's.
Speaker 1: Seriously, heads up would have been nice.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that. I thought you were on the text change.
Speaker 1: I feel like an idiot, dude, and you don't. You'll get one chance at a first impression, but you know what you were yourself. I don't care. I don't want him to know myself. Man, he's the president of the company. Dude. Whatever. Anyway, Hey, well done, You're welcome. Done on your first and by the way, nobody could really hear you talk in the room because your lips were pressed so firmly to his buttocks.
Speaker 2: Buttocks, but talks. Are you ready for today's too?
Speaker 1: To be?
Speaker 2: What makes my job easy when it comes to hunting for tools, broud Zilla was, Yep, this isn't one of those.
Speaker 1: Let's call this girl.
Speaker 2: April Hi April Hi Dwight April's twenty four. She wrote that she graduated from college two years ago, thanks in large part to a college fund from her parents.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I feel incredibly fortunate for that, and I worked hard to make the most of it by getting good grades and finishing on time. She went on to explain that her younger cousin, who's twenty. Cousin dropped out of college last year after failing a few classes, but wants to go back. April said her cousin used up a good chunk of her own college fund during her first attempt, so recently my aunt and uncle her parents came to me and asked if I'd be willing to give my cousin what's left of my college fund to help her go back. She said she still has a decent amount left because she ended up getting a scholarship her senior year, but she told them I'm not comfortable doing that. April went on to explain that she's been saving the leftover money for other possible future expenses, like graduate school or maybe to put towards a house. I don't feel like it's my responsibility to give it up just because she didn't finish school the first time. Now my cousin and her parents are upset with me. My cousin says she needs it more than I'm being selfish for that helping her out When I had my education paid for. My aunt and uncle think I should give her the money because it's just sitting there and they don't want her to take out loans. I get that loans are tough, but I worked hard for my degree and saved my money for my future. I don't think I should be guilted into giving it up. Am I being the toolsolutely?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not? Are you kidding me? As a matter of fact, shame on your cousin for even asking that you know what are you doing? Who does this? And the parents? Am I off base on this?
Speaker 2: Dave Listen parent? Okay, so these parents of the cousin would be the brother or sister of her parents, April's parents, right, right, Yeah, hear me, cousin's parents. That money isn't and never has been, yours. No, if you want your daughter to not have to take out student loans, give her some money. It's not your money, it never has been. She is under no obligation to give it to her cousin.
Speaker 1: The boss to even ask a question like that, Hey, notice you're you got ten grand saved up? Sure could use five of the dave.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's she's just your cousin. But it's just sitting there. So give it to her.
Speaker 1: And listen if it comes to if it fractures the family and you have less in laws, win when.
Speaker 2: Hold your ground, April, that is not their money, it never has been. Your parents gave it to you, not your cousin.
Speaker 1: Right, That's why we love April. She's got a good head on her shoulder.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, Alex Raymundo, the president of the company's coming in. Don't wear your butthole shirt. There you go.
Speaker 2: Even Alex knew.
Speaker 1: I'm serious, So dude, just a text would have been nice, you know whatever. All right, that's Tuesday's too.
Speaker 5: Let's go on pretty obvious one today. I think you thanks and Tony. I mean he was here yesterday when they announced it, right, yeah, sure, he was new topic this day in history. Let's see what happened today, October twenty ninth. Let's go allow you back to October.
Speaker 1: Twenty ninth, Yes, nineteen twenty nine. Oh boy, that's been crash. Hey, that's right, it was today in October twenty ninth, nineteen twenty nine. That's when the bottom fell out of the out of Wall Street and the stock market crash. It brought on the Great Depression. It was called black Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I just call it Tuesday because I don't see color.
Speaker 1: That's admirable. Thank you, way to go, Thank you. As prices dropped and a panic selling, thousands were left instantly poor, and the Roaring Twenties came to an end. The Depression would last almost ten years. I think people were just walking off buildings that day. It was awful. Yeah, it was pretty damn bad. It was today October twenty ninth, nineteen ninety four. That's when Francisco Martin Duran.
Speaker 2: I am Francisco Martin Duran.
Speaker 1: My name is Francisco Martin Duran Duran, Yes, yes, that is the cover bat.
Speaker 2: You will now remove your blouse.
Speaker 1: Would you like a sugar cube?
Speaker 2: Don't chase it.
Speaker 1: First, you must given me a thickyback, and then I will give you this shot on sugar cube. That was today. In nineteen ninety four, Francisco Martin Durant fired more than two dozen shots at the White House was standing on Pennsylvania Avenue Nicks. He was later convicted of trying to kill President Clinton? What's he trying to do that to me?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 1: Hey, Monica, go ask him if if he'll quit that?
Speaker 2: And then they found out, like Bill, he was shooting blanks.
Speaker 1: It's a dollar out. Uh oh, I'm not doing this story. That's a horror story. Good God never stopped you before. No, no, but this was bad, dude. What is it? Melissa Drexler sentence for strangling her baby? Oh no, yeah, yeah no, seeh I kind of did it, man, I know. Let's get that taste of our mouth with this. It was October twenty ninth, nineteen ninety eight. That's when the Space should of Discovery blasted off with John Glenn onboard.
Speaker 2: I forgot that he went up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Glenn, so did he. Glenn was the oldest man to go into space. He was seventy seven years old in nineteen sixty two. He was the first American to orbit the Earth. I wonder when they showed up, they said, okay, let's all go to the astronaut diaper room and get fitted for our diapers, and John Glenn went, no, No, brought my own.
Speaker 2: What was the movie where the older guys were training to go back in space? It was James Garner Space Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yes, right that. I forgot all about that. And then there was also there was a Fraser episode where he had John Glenn as a guest. I think I remember that when the guests start talking, then we have the ability to shut off our mics and do something else to come back, you know. Yeah, And he was in an argument with Ross, so he left the room, and when he left the room, he was missed the whole conversation and John Glenn was talking about all these martians and spaceships. The Fraser missed the whole damn thing.
Speaker 2: We've gone through free a few times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is the new one any good at all?
Speaker 2: I watched ten minutes of it and shut it off it's gotten a second season. I don't know what that means. But if there's no Niles and no Ris and it's just now, it's got the same, call it something else.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. It was today in two thousand and four, when Arabic news network Al Jazeera broadcasted an excerpt from a video where Osama bin Laden admitted direct responsibility for September eleventh, two thousand and one attacks. What took him three years to admit to it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we knew, we knew, everybody knew.
Speaker 1: You kidding me? It was today. In twenty eleven, a record breaking snowstorm hit the Northeast, leaving two million residents without power for more than thirty six hours. That's gotta suck. It's only October. It's gotta be like Buffalo, New York and all these stupid places. Not stupid, but now they get about couple amounts of snow, but the good.
Speaker 2: About one hundred inches a year.
Speaker 1: A couple of my friends live in Buffalo that we go to Coablo Santa Lucas with and they're I mean, they're prepared.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: They'll get like, you know, five hundred inches and then two hours they're driving to work. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the mail trucks, dump trucks, they're all fitted with plows, so they use all the city vehicles to plow snow.
Speaker 1: Wicked smart, Yeah it was today. In twenty twelve, Hurricane Sandy made landfall in New Jersey, resulting in one hundred and ten deaths and fifty billion dollars in damages. It actually forced the New York Stock Exchange to close.
Speaker 2: When's the last time we've had a really good snow here?
Speaker 1: Don't Jenks's man?
Speaker 2: Because Becky's always telling me that when she was growing up, they were like sledding every single year. When's the last time you could sled It's been years, It's been years.
Speaker 1: I guess ninety four was the great Oh it was. Ninety four was the one to shut down the city. Before then, I think when I was in the seventies, like seventy eight or seventy seven, we had a blizzard and I remember being off school. I want to say two or three weeks. It was the greatest thing ever.
Speaker 2: And the next time I'm gonna say you this, I've said it before. When you grow up up in New York, you know how to do this. This is common sense, like using a turn signal. So when you're sledding in a public park and then you sled down the middle of the hill, go over to the sides, walk back up.
Speaker 1: The hill, walk straight up the middle.
Speaker 2: Baby, don't come down the middle and make me jump out of the way and get mad at me because I'm in your way. No, no, no, go up the sides.
Speaker 1: They'll go straight up the middle. They do.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I do that.
Speaker 2: You just don't do it enough.
Speaker 1: I guess fun the odds of getting hit by a sled big time fund bah. I want. Let's do one more and then I've got to Today's a national day. We'll talk about that. It was today October twenty ninth, twenty fourteen. The San Francisco Giants won the twenty fourteen World Series. Today is also National Cat Day. Oh boy, I like cats. I mean the animals A cat. I love kittens. Yeah, kits are pretty.
Speaker 2: Once in a while, you meet a cool cat that let you rub his belly incomes when you call him. Because to us, what's a cool cat? One that's like a dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's what when people say you love my cat, he's just like a dog. Well, why do you get a dog? Exactly? I like a big fat cat. Where the hell did it go? What I had facts about cats?
Speaker 2: Are there four legs?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: No, some of them were actually pretty cool cat facts? Yeah, it was cool, you know what? Hang on. I don't know where I saved him, So hang on with spot Nick. I don't want to say this in front of it, but I'm thinking about maybe getting a new computer.
Speaker 2: Look, Jesus, if you only had two other options in your possession.
Speaker 1: I just want to get this one redone though, you know, I like what I like. Man, I don't like change. What is this?
Speaker 2: This is a filler music while.
Speaker 1: It's like listening to Walter Cronkite. It sure, all right? Today is National Cat Day. I thought I had it ivery go okay, In case you're wondering about cats, cats, there's over five hundred million domesticated cats in the world. That's it. We mean that's a lot, five hundred million. Yeah. Cats and humans have been associated together for nearly ten thousand years. You see all these Egyptian they're like, you know, here's a cat holding like a stick.
Speaker 2: Men have been men have been seeking cats since the Caveman that's right.
Speaker 1: Days cats are sleeping average at thirteen to fourteen hours a day. Maybe I'm part cat.
Speaker 2: And the other ten they're plotting against you.
Speaker 1: No kidding. Like the way they look at like a glass and milk on the counter. They look at dead in the eye and then they swat it out. That's one of the reasons I do. But the only here's a good thing. Okay. So when we go to Cabos and Lucas, I usually get a team of four people that I pay to take care of Lemmy. So there's somebody in our house twenty four hours a day, and I know it's overkilled.
Speaker 2: So what, But you know what, you can't relax if you don't do it, and.
Speaker 1: Let's go to somebody's there with you. I can't relax.
Speaker 2: We're the same way whenever someone stays at the house. It's like send pictures.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Because one of our little girls was kind of a runner. She'd like to run the neighborhood a little bit and sneak out when she could just blow right past you.
Speaker 1: And you open the door.
Speaker 2: She'd always come back. But I was always worried about cars.
Speaker 1: But of course, so I go to orchestrate four different people, usually three to four different people, and pay them. So Leimmy has somebody there at the house twenty four hours. If you have a cat, you'd like empty a bag of kibble out and they're good for a week, right, yeah, pretty much for a month or whatever. If you have a group of cats, it's what is a group of cats called any idea.
Speaker 2: U Vannetti's house A clouder A clouder Yeah, huh, I never heard that.
Speaker 1: A male cat is a tomcat. A female cat is a molly or a queen, a mally cat, a moley cat. Cats can be very lethal hunters. They're very sneaky. They are and very sneaky. Here's part of the reason why. When they walk, their back paws step almost exactly the same place their front paws were at. Right. That keeps the noise to a minimum and makes tracks visible visible tracks very limited.
Speaker 2: Right, So someone thinks that's a two legged cat that kills you, can't be me.
Speaker 1: Cats have very powerful night vision, allowing them to see the level six times lower than a human needs to see and then on an average. This is a good thing about a cat because we have big we usually adopt big dogs. You can't lie about that.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I like big dogs and I cannot lie. Cats live an average of twelve to fifteen years, so that's a good thing about cats. So anyway, Happy National Cappy Cat Day. There you go, and all you can't ladies out there, who.
Speaker 2: Do we have daith the fireplace, my friend, Oh the fireplace.
Speaker 1: Listen. We joke around on the show a lot. I'm not gonna joke about this. I'm talking about fireplace safety. Listen, baby, is perfect weather, nice, crisp fall air pretty soon is gonna be coming. The winter Time's gonna be dark at four o'clock in the afternoon. Let's build a fire and make that living room nice and cozy. But before we do it, is your fireplace safe? Check the fireplace. They're gonna sweep your fire place for you, They're gonna expect your fireplace for you. The only place that I trust when it comes to fireplace maintenance and prevent a maintenance. Don't be a victim of carbon monoxide poison or god forbid, even worse a house fire when you can just have a simple inspection done by the fireplace. Let's say, worst case scenario, you do need masonry problems or you do have masonry problems. When we's covered there, they can even take care of that. There are your one stop shop for fireplace safety, Shelbyville Row. Before you light that first fire, let's make sure you're safe for your home and more important than your family, let's go the fireplace, all right. Stick around on the way. Really in the years, and that Tony has booked the Catholic People's Society, we'll talk to them as well. It's all the way News Radio eight forty w h A s I that a Julie from the Catholic People's Society is in here. Hate Julie hiy. Hello, Hello, pay attention today, Pay attention to me woman, and go ahead and you John, what's your last name?
Speaker 6: Thomas Davis?
Speaker 1: Oh, Thomas Davis, Sir?
Speaker 2: All right, John, Thomas Davis. Is it Thomas Davis. It's Thomas Davis, John Tom.
Speaker 1: I'll show you the text that Tony gave it. Tony said John Davis.
Speaker 7: Well that's Tony.
Speaker 2: What do you expect he'll blame auto?
Speaker 1: Not even close to it. All right, it's time to do it. Let's play reeling in the years where we show sometimes how much we know about It's pretty at this, this will be the sixties, though.
Speaker 2: Man, come on, I hit the charts and all of these were top twenty hits back in the day. What you're including Tom Jones seventies? All the seventy year old ladies.
Speaker 1: Like, what's up? It'd be late sixties.
Speaker 2: I'll never fall in love again.
Speaker 7: I'm way too young for this.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you might leave here pregnant. Be careful. This is this music. That's baby making music right there. I like, well, it's it's obviously high sixties, low seventies. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Moving on from Tom John all right, here we go to RB Greeves. Take a letter, Maria Orvana, sixties, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Julie, do you like sixty nine?
Speaker 7: You know? Oh I'm not close enough to.
Speaker 1: I'm with your sixties.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking sixties for sure.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, bye bye God sixty the horns make this, I'm thinking sixty nine.
Speaker 2: You're always thinking that.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, you guys are upper sixties.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: We left this in the rear view mirror. We're doing some hot fun in the autumn right now, sly in the family stone.
Speaker 1: Now this makes me think seventy sixties.
Speaker 7: Yeah, still has that sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah mm hmmmm, huh, I'm back in the sixties.
Speaker 2: Here we go, all right, mhm, there's your horns again, Dwight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like sixty nine, but next song.
Speaker 2: I like to mix in songs that we don't really hear too often. This is one of those. The band is called The Cuff Links. Tracy happens to be my favorite song, The Cuff Links.
Speaker 8: Tracy.
Speaker 1: What did happened to the cuf Links? They were selling out to read it and all the sudden disappeared. Oh, no help at all except for the sixties, I think for sure, Tracy.
Speaker 2: No help there. That'll be in your head.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know you?
Speaker 6: I was born out here.
Speaker 2: I can't get next to you. Tempted temptations come on kick.
Speaker 4: It ah, here we go one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight nine.
Speaker 1: Damn there's those horns. Ooh.
Speaker 3: I can make it rain whenever you want me to.
Speaker 1: You think so well, huh, I'm drying. There'll never be another.
Speaker 2: Uh uh, golly.
Speaker 1: This could be.
Speaker 7: You think it's earlier than sixty nine.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm starting to.
Speaker 2: The number one song. October the twenty ninth and some unknown year. Back in the day, the King in the trip Suspicious Minds.
Speaker 1: This could be seventy one.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a song I'm a rot belt to a grievy the two much grievy, but the record maybe changes the baby.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, okay, I like sixty nine, seventy or seventy one? Option? Is that right? What you waiting on? This too? Could be earlier.
Speaker 7: I was thinking, no, No, let's do sixty nine.
Speaker 1: That was the initial the Hey, Dave, can you send that audio to me? Please? I need that for this afternoon. Thank you, Yes, Julie, let's do sixty nine. Care to go?
Speaker 2: Final answer sixty nine Elvis Presley Suspicious Minds was number one October the twenty ninth, seventy one, sixty nine, seventy, seventy one, seventy got it?
Speaker 1: Thomis thret Where to go? John Julie from the Catholic People Society in for the win? Wow? All right? Stick around news on the way, and then we're talking Amendment two and listen, Sims furniture. Hey, how's your furniture game? When you have friends over to watch football, basketball, whatnot? Do you gotta throw the blanket over the couch because all the terrors rips or maybe stains. That's what we used to do. Go to Sims Furniture, high quality, beautiful, beautiful living room furniture, dining room sets, bedroom sets, mattresses, appliance, you name it. And here's even more reason to go to Sims Furniture right now, one m by the way, s I M s Sims Furniture Dixie Highway and Preston Highway. And he bought a new warehouse. Everybody hates moving, including Sims Furniture, so they're just gonna sell all the inventory. Instead of moving to the warehouse, they're selling all of their furniture everything for discounts up to fifty percent off. Now is the time to improve your home with new furniture. Go by and see Sims Furniture Dixie Highway right next to the courthouse or the old Target building on Preston Highway. You're gonna love this beautiful Sims furniture and you're gonna love the deep discount even more. News on the Way News Radio eight forty whas what's the reference here, Dave? It is Kevin Dubrow's birthday. Oh how old would he have been? Oh, that's right, he died. He did die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have been sixty nine, dude.
Speaker 1: Sixty nine dude. Hey, listen, one interesting fact then we'll talk about Amendment two. There's some kind of a plastic surgery show that I got. You know, anything's a train wreck like you know, my seven hundred pounds sister, anything like that, I gotta watch. And there's some kind of like botch surgery, plastic surgery.
Speaker 2: Because people sit there and go, well, it used to look better than that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, hey, I was going to get a new butt, but it was fifteen grand here in the state. So I went down to Guadalajara and got it done for seventeen fifty. And now look at it and they corrected. One of the doctors on there is Kevin Debrou's brother.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, so he did it all right again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, enough about plastic surgery. Let's talk Amendment too. Let's bring in Julie Baum. Julie Bomb is with the Catholic Education Foundation aka Catholic People Society, and we have also in here with this doctor Thomas Davis. Doctor, I'm gonna go to you first, because this nation was built on competition, all right, no doubt it was. I mean listen, we have competitors in our field. If you have competitors, it makes you strive to do better because if not, what's the result. On amendment too. I saw a commercial. I've seen one commercial on it, and it really let me down because if you can't just advertise the fac for your issue, in my opinion, that is very telling about the issue. Uh. The commercial I saw, I showed a lady and she said, thank god we had our high school when we had our flood, because if not, we all would have been dead. And the high schools are not going away. As a matter of fact, the act like is going to be the worst thing to ever happen if it passes. Yet, Kentucky is one of only two states in the entire nation that doesn't have this without the scare tactics. Let's remove this or talk about the ins and outs. What are the ins and outs of amendment to look?
Speaker 6: I mean real simply, this amendment is ultimately about who should have the strongest voice in their children's education. Should it be you as dad and your wife, or should it be a government bureaucrat. That's what it comes down to. In forty eight states will put their trust in parents to make decisions for their kids, whereas here in Kentucky we still want to put government bureaucrats in charge of our education. We think you're too stupid to make a decision like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a smack in the face to the taxpayers.
Speaker 2: And what the critics say, they'll just make up to this, Like one of the ads shows a blank check, you're just going to divert all this money away from public schools and put it in your pocket. Is there any evidence of that happening anywhere?
Speaker 6: I mean, there's a no, And in fact the converse. What we've seen is look at states like Florida, which has a larger school choice program in the nation when they started twenty years.
Speaker 1: Ago, twenty years of two decades.
Speaker 6: We've got lots of data on Florida and other states as well, but Florida's maybe be the best example because it's so old and so big. They went from a very mediocre, subpar state even to now one of the very best states in the country in terms of education. So, if anything, school choice has only raised the bar. And it's like you said, competition, it breeds excellence.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, JCP is the absolute JCPS is the absolute worst of the worst when it comes to education. They're graduating students NonStop. They're advancing students from grade to grade NonStop. Yet reading proficiency something around in eighteen percent. Math is just as bad. Everything's just as bad. They're not getting eduction, but they're getting pushed through to society. Is it like that without in the state, within this out in the state as well, or that's pretty much just a Louisville problem.
Speaker 6: You know, this is state wise, stay wide, and Dave, we've got thirty one percent of our fourth graders are a graded level for reading, twenty one percent of our eighth graders are on grade level for math, and yet we have the highest graduation rate in the nation. So let's what you say. We're just putting kids on this conveyor belt and kicking them out.
Speaker 1: On the other end, we shift gears and talk to Julie Bomb. Now Julie is with the Catholic Education Foundation. And have you seen You've actually seen, because that's what you all do. Parents come to you and they say, hey, you know, JCPS, it's a horrible product. We need to get an education for our student. They come to the Catholic Education Foundation, where the mantra is the answer is always yes, give us an example.
Speaker 7: Sure, thanks Dwight. You know, people come to us because they can't afford the cost of a Catholic school. So these folks are are means tested, meaning that they have financial need. So I had a mom come to me, Well, called the office. I answered the phone and she said, I know you're going to tell me no. And I said, okay, Well before I tell you no, tell me what's going on. And she went on to tell me she was desperate. She had a daughter who was being bullied at school. She couldn't get any resolution through, you know, talking to the teacher, principal, administration. And she said, she cries every night, every morning, she's tarty sometimes because she refuses to go to the bus stop. I don't know what to do. She also had a little brother who he was fine in the school, but he's showing up tardy to He's sitting at the table at night listening to these tears and these terrible stories. And she said, I just need something better for my daughter. Single mom made about forty five thousand dollars a year. No way she could afford a nine thousand dollars tuition bill.
Speaker 6: At a Catholic school.
Speaker 7: So she came to us, went through the process, we were able to get her family into one of our schools. She called me two months later and said, my life has changed. I had no idea the stress that my family was under, not just her daughter, but the son and herself. She said, we can eat dinner together, they get up, they're excited to go to school. She needed a choice in our child's education. As Thomas said, there's families that are you know, on the other side, who are in public schools, who are thriving and doing well.
Speaker 1: That will still exist.
Speaker 7: Only seven percent of folks throughout the US go to non public schools. So this isn't an amendment. And this is an amendment, not a bill, right, and Thomas can talk a little bit about that, because some of what I've heard is this bill will only help the wealthy. Well, first, it's not a bill. Second, the wealthy already have a choice. The wealthy you can choose to send their kids to do private schools or non public schools. It's the people that don't have the choice that we want to make sure that it's offered to.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to public school. Listen. I loved JCPS. I'm a product of Doss High School and I absolutely loved the experience. What I don't love is the board of clowns that we have the only thing. I want public schools to thrive, but I want them to focus on education. But the bottom line is right now, JCPS, because of the board of clowns that they have, they can't even perform the most fundamental task asked of them. Pick up your children, take them to school, drop them off, keep them safe, and give them an education. It's not too much to ask for when you have a budget twice the size of the city of Louisville, and we got a lot of fat at the Van House Center. Here's another issue I have with JCPS. There's so many high salary administrative jobs, yet the teachers they need they need even more money. Now. Frankfurt did send them a raise, but they they need much more money. Sister in law is a teacher for JCPS. Their house is back of our house, so it come nighttime, when it gets dark, I'll see I'll see her still sitting in her kitchen table grading papers. It'll be eight or nine o'clock at night. These teachers work their asses, well most of them do. If I switched back over here to you, doctor, let's talk about what opponents are saying. There's one of the things that they're saying is it's gonna be brutal on the teachers. It's gonna absolutely crush the teachers. Is that a fact or is this gonna be beneficial or detrimental for the teachers.
Speaker 6: I think it's one of the under talked about things. School choice is not good just for families, but it's great for teachers. I mean, if let's just do the math real quickly, looking at state averages, we spent on average eighteen five hundred dollars per kid in Kentucky to send a kid to public school. The average classroom is twenty three and a half kids. If you do the math, that's almost four hundred and fifty thousand dollars the teacher, and Kentucky makes fifty six thousand dollars. There's a four hundred thousand dollars gap between what is spent on the classroom and what a teacher makes. Where's all that money going? And I think you hit it on the head right there. There's this administrative bloat that's sucking all this money away from the teachers. You know, teachers are complaining about how they don't have the money to buy their own supplies. They got four hundred thousand dollars to buy those supplies. Teachers need to be up in revolt talking about where's all this money going.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk money for a second, because and this is if I'm off all these figures, let me know, but each classroom is is each classroom around a five hundred thousand dollars class Is that on average? On average? Okay? But yet it's not getting to the studio, it's not getting to the teachers. It's certainly not going for supplies. Where's this five hundred grand going to?
Speaker 6: I mean, there was that landmark news article that came out recently that lets you be able to go search all the different high powered administrators that have fancy titles about DEI this, DEI that, and they're making six figures. Who knows what they're doing. But there I don't forget how many hundreds of people there are making that kind of money in Kentucky, not in the classroom teaching the kids. There's a huge degree of administrative bloat in this state that is sucking money away from the kids. You know, just think about this. Let's imagine you took ten kids, a teacher said, you know what, I'm going to go start my own classroom. We're going to have for the sake of communient math, ten thousand dollars per kid classroom of ten. That's one hundredth grand going towards a teacher each year. Teachers could actually make good money in this state under a school choice model like this is a huge opportunity for teachers to be real entrepreneurs and to do well financially.
Speaker 1: One of the many last straws for me as we wrap it up, is when doctor Marty Paulio, the superintend and him and his board of clowns absolutely ran this even further down into the ground JCPS meeting. And if a CEO were to do that at a company, the board of directors would have fired their ass immediately. What they do for him, they gave him his seventy six thousand dollars raise. There's too much fat, and it needs to get to the kids and then needs to get to the teachers. That's just my opinion.
Speaker 6: You know, the other side talks about accountability, A lot. I think there's a huge lack of accountability in the status quo system. Giving parents the power to vote their feet and vote their dollars is the best form of accountability that exists in education.
Speaker 2: He's doctor Thomas David. One more thing before we go. Parents are hearing school choice, school choice. Let's just say I have a senior or maybe a sophomore at Seneca High School. School choice passes, I want them to go somewhere else. Is there a new school? Do I get a scholarship to a private school? What's my choice?
Speaker 6: And ultimately it's gonna this amendment ultimately gives the legislature the ability to decide what that may look like. Certainly have my own ideas of what I'd like to see. You can look at other states around the country, some of the biggest programs Iowa, Arizona, even West Virginia for crying out loud as a universal school choice program that lets money follow the kid to the school of their choice, whatever that may be. And I think with time you're gonna see a lot of new schools emerge.
Speaker 1: I don't see the issue, but oh well, he is doctor Thomas David. She is Julie Baum Thank you so much for the time. Appreciate it more than you know it. Listen Shady Rays, Baby, you're gonna love your Shady Rays. Or what my purple that's white purple aviators in today? Why Shady Raise. Well, they're idiot proof and I'm an idiot. If you lose them, if you break them, if you scratch them, if they're stolen, they replace them. It's just that simple. Or maybe you're a Kentucky fan, maybe you're a University of Lot of a Fighting Cardinal fans. Show your team spirit. Get by in store only and get your Kentucky glasses or your ufl glasses. Okay, show your team spirit. Or maybe you're a golfer. Try out the greenwolfs series specifically designed for golfing. For me, I love Color Rush lenses. Go by and try off the try out the color Rush lenses. All these fall colors. They make every single color bright and vibrant. It's just amazing. Even the lines on the road pop out while you're wearing these. Hello Rush in store, a Shady Raise at the Oxymoor Center online at Shadyrais dot com. Stick around top of the hour news on the Way, News Radio eight forty w h A s