Speaker 1: Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. I mean I may not know you, but you know, if you're a mom, happy Mother's Day. I'm sure you've got at least I hope you've got folks in your life that will let you know you're appreciated. Mom's, Grandma's. And this is something I probably shouldn't throw out there and like make it a talking point because sometimes when I just when I don't know about something, I kind of just throw it out there on the airwaves here and hopes of people, like, you know, it's probably an insecurity. It's a crutch that I have, Like hey, I don't think I'm stupid, but let me throw it out there and get reaction to see if like I'm if I'm in the minority or not. But it is, it's really really like I I feel like most people know that you should celebrate the mother of your children on Mother's Day, like you do your mom. But maybe I'm just saying that because like my kids are so young that like they won't be able to like clearly that my son doesn't have a bank account, he can't go buy his mother gift that kind of stuff. So like whenever they're older, like, well, it's still be a thing. I kind of think it will because you know, she's not my mama, but she's a mama, and you know, moms are really important. I'm very lucky and blessed beyond belief to have the mom that I have, but also like very happy, you know, this is Mother's Day. Also makes me be thankful that, like, I have a woman in my life who is the mom and my kids and you know, she's pretty damn good at it from what I can tell, at least you know, up to this point. So anyways, Happy Mother's Day. Grandma's mom's, stepmom's mother in law's baby mama's too. I've never referred to my wife as baby mama. I feel like, what if I did this weekend on Mother's Day, she probably wouldn't like that, But I mean, technically she is. She's my baby's mother, although my children aren't babies anymore, which is kind of sad. But anyways, let's get to hour to or two started. We got two hours left here before we get out of here for the weekend. And if you are just not joining us, the news that I started with that I think is really been a theme this week is getting more info about what Louisville's basketball schedule is going to look like, and mother in the last I guess twenty six hours. I guess maybe twenty five hours because it was at five o'clock yesterday when UL put out the press release announcing that they have renewed their rivalry series with Memphis for six years, and then earlier today it was reported by John Rosstein first and then Eric Crawford had something at DRB about it. And it's not official, but it will be soon, I would imagine. But now Louisville's going to play Cincinnati in a two year series starting this year. First game will be in December this year in Cincinnati, and then next year Cincinnati will come to Louisville, but not to play in the UMP Center, but to play in Freedom Hall. So the game this year is going to be at Heritage Bank Center in downtown Cincinnati, which is not Cincinnati's typical home arena. I don't think I could be wrong about that, but I certainly know that Freedom Hall is not where Louisville plays basketball games anymore. So I mean, if they played this at the UM Center, I'd be totally fine with it. I mean I would have expected that, but now that that it's at Freedom Hall, I'm also totally fine with it. And I don't want to act as if like there's been some like big uproar, but at least some you know, Louis of fans that I know that I talk to you, that I'm friends with, you know, they were of the opinion that, you know, this kind of seems like a force like Freedom Hall. Yeah, there may be some nostalgia, but like it's a dump compared to the Ump Center. We closed out the Yumps, or we closed out Freedom Hall in perfect fashion. We don't need to go back there, and like that's not you know, everybody's entitled in their opinion. I just don't really see any harm in playing there. And if you believe that, you know, whatever happens when Cincinnati comes to Freedom Hall next season, not the upcoming season, but the season after in twenty twenty six, like if you think whatever happens might ruin your lasting impression of Freedom Hall, like I would, I would like to think that you're you're gonna be wrong. I mean, you know, I don't know that for certain, but when Kyle Kuric shut down Freedom Hall, I was sixteen, fifteen years ago, whatever it was like that wasn't It's been a long time, And watching the TBT team play at Freedom Hall that certainly provided some nostalgia, but like it didn't, you know, it didn't make me think about the way we actually closed that place now, which you know, the more time that passes, the more that seems like something you see in a movie. Right, Like, Louisville was not safely in the tournament. They were not having a very good season to the standard Patino had set for many years prior to that, and they got Syracuse, who by the way, like, do people remember that Syracuse? Weren't they the number one team in the country when they came to close out Freedom Hall? I'm gonna have to look that up because they were up there. Yes they were, I mean they were. They were because Louisville swept him that year and that was the year they were really really good.
Speaker 2: That's what got us into the tournament that year.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I just said, yeah, they Okay, the I mean, you weren't safely in the tournament. You're playing your last game there, and you weren't having a good season, as I mentioned, compared to what Rick had set the standard for and it was a pretty competitive game throughout, and then all of a sudden, Louisville took over because of one man. And that man's name was Kyle Kurrick, and at that point he was pretty unknown, and he wasn't even on scholarship. I don't think, so, you know, I don't think there's any like Louisville could play two games at Freedom Hall and lose and it wouldn't change how I view how we shut that place down, because we've been gone for a long time, and that was such an epic sendoff, and I mean it was like it was cinematic how that worked out. And I remember he was known for this because he just had a lot of energy and I love this guy. Man that era was, I don't know, I don't know what they were really good. That was part of it. But when I really kind of like i'd stopped playing basketball because I realize, you know, I didn't want to play college basketball if it meant being the eighteenth guy on the roster at like the Division three level. So once I decided I was going to not do that, and you know, didn't really know what I wanted to do, I fell in love with Louell hoops all over again in a crazy way to where I just decided, Okay, I want to write about this team. I want to cover him like I you know here I am today. But that era around that time, like two thousand and seven to really on. But Jerry Smith. I remember when I think of the final game of Freedom Hall, I think of Jerry Smith, and I think he might have got hurt, but I remember him waving the towel like crazy, because that's what Jerry did. Jerry was going to whip that towel around and it was I mean he was. He was bringing the energy and again it's all kind of coming together. I think he might have I think Kyle might have played because Jerry was hurt. A lot of mixed in that game. But that was not a good year by any means. In the next game we saw them, I think they got bounced early in the Big East Tournament, and then they also got bounced by Cal. Whish We talked about that game whenever Cal came to town, because that's the only memory I have of Cal basketball.
Speaker 2: Remember whose game it was, rakeeen Buckles.
Speaker 1: I was so proud that you knew that when I didn't have to tell you that. When we talked about it, I remember it's one of the moments where I was like, this guy, he does he's one of me. He's he's he's he's like me, I get it because we else, Well remember that random thing, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting there. I'm sitting there, go a man if if the rest of the team can match Rackeem's energy, then when we have a shot. Even though like any normal fan that wasn't Pie in the sky like I was, was like, yeah, this game's over, kind of like the year before when we got eliminated by Michigan State.
Speaker 4: YEP.
Speaker 3: It seems like a lot of it seems like a lot of fans I've talked to was like, yeah, that just wasn't Louisville's game. And there's a I guess a bunch of stuff going on with Terrence Williams behind the scene. But I'm just sitting there, like halftime, I think Preston Knowles was having a game of his life, like that was a huge comeout game for Preston Noles.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting there thinking art makes.
Speaker 1: Sense because it was probably him doing enough. But nobody like what you're thinking. Where's everybody else et?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well everybody could get going and they could just match p Ka's energy right here, we'll have shot and it just it never never never maticulated, matriculated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the the Freedom Hall. I mean, like I'm not someone that it's been like, hey, we got to play a game at Freedom Hall because you know, like we need it for nostalgia. But here's what I believe is probably gonna be the scenario here is that this will not be a because the biggest issue to where like why don't we play one game of your Freedom Hall? It's because season ticket holders, like how would you like, you know, there's not as many seats at Freedom Hall and you wouldn't be able to get everybody in the same seat. So where what's happened now is that they've this this is how you would have to do it. This is this is considered a neutral site series. You're playing louis Louisville's playing Cincinnati, and Cincinnati not at their home arena. Cincinnati is coming to Louisville to play Louisville, but not at the Yum. And that's where like, honestly, I don't really know how it's gonna work as far as the money, but like this is probably then this is probably the fairgrounds event. Like I don't know how you again, I don't know if you've got like a contract or whatnot, but like U of L will probably be able to sell tickets, but like, this is not a home game for either, because that's how you have to do it, because if you have season tickets, like you can't just say, okay, well, hey, only the you know, only premiere season ticket holders get access to this game. So it's truly a neutral site game in every aspect other than the fact that you know it's not because you're playing in Louisville, whereas you know you would assume I don't know, I guess, I guess maybe the scenarios that you would get a more mixed crowd because you know, there's not anybody that's going to be at either game that's there because of a season ticket. So yeah, Louisville right now in this upcoming season is going to be playing in the non conference portion of their schedule. Kentucky, Indiana, Memphis, Tennessee, and Cincinnati of course what I just mentioned, and then uh, we don't know for certain, but it sounds like it's gonna be Arkansas in the acc SEC Challenge. So there is clearly some real connections in every aspect to every one of those opponents. And look, that's the stuff that makes sports fun, right, Like we're gonna watch our team play and hope that they win no matter who they play, especially if it's a good team. But when there's familiarity, there's history, and there's rivalry, which clearly there is between Cincinnati, Memphis and you know, Louisville. So it's good. And I don't again I started the show, I think given Pat Kelsey a lot of credit for, you know, really understanding the fan base and kind of playing to us and understanding that these are games that we would really appreciate. And I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit for that, but like, I'm sure there's more to it than just him, but like, these are the kind of things like put it this way. This is the best way I can say it before we move on. It's hard to get to get people interested in like coming to your games if they're not season tickets holders, unless they're just you know, like it's what they do. There's a core group of every fan base that's gonna be there regardless of whatever's going on. But then there's others that, like, you know, they're gonna support their fans, they'll come to games, but like it's really just whenever it's convenient for them or whenever it's a big game. Having games against Memphis, Cincinnati, and Indiana and even Tennessee to an extent, although that series will come to an end after this year and we played them last year, Like those are games that, yeah, you know, I definitely would like to make sure I have a ticket to come to that one rather than playing bellerman E, k u UTEP, you know, Florida A and M something like that. And also you clearly are playing a tougher schedule, which is going to matter more now than it ever has when it comes to the non conference because the ACC obviously taken some steps back. All right, So the College Football Playoff is going to change, and we've only had it one year as far as it being an expanded playoff. So there were meetings that took place a few weeks ago in Dallas. It was the College Football Playoff Spring meetings, and this came out from Ross Ellinger, who I would say it is probably the top guy to follow when it comes to the college football playoff conference realignment, that kind of stuff. He used to work. He's worked for a lot of folks. He used to be at Sports Illustrated. Now he's at Yahoo, and he's the one who reported that as sixteen team college football playoff bracket has gained big time support, and of course it's mostly from the Big Ten of the SEC, which again, like I don't know, I just I feel like I'm not able to just like not be I don't know, this is big news, but like I can't share this news and discuss it without being sour grapes because it's just to me, this is becoming a popularity contest more than anything else, and that's just sad to me, Like, clearly you got to win, like you can't be terrible. But what I assumed what happen is apparently happening, and that is that there's going to be guaranteed automatic bids for four teams from the SEC, four from the Big Ten, two from the ACC, two from the Big twelve, one from the G six, which what is G six, it's G five. There's only four conferences.
Speaker 2: There's fly like a G six. You remember that song.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it's now power four and the G six is what it used to be called the G five. Oh, I get it, now, I get it. The PAC twelve is being told you can call yourself the PAC twelve. You're you're not power five, it's power four now, which is true. Like anybody worth a dam in the PAC twelve got taken, you know what I mean, Like Oregon State in Washington State, don't get to say we rounded up some bombs from the Mountain West and the WCC and now we're Power five two, Like, no, you're not. So that's what that means. So there's now G six and only one team from those is going to get in. Well, I guess you could get in as an at lard, like there's one guaranteed slot for Boise, for an app State, for a Memphis something like that. But the at largest can be anybody. So like if there was a year where there were two teams from the so, I guess one of the at largest has got to be Notre Dame, right has to be? So really in years like Notre Dame, if Notre Dame stinks and they're six and six and they wouldn't get in so therefore there'd be three at largs and I guess technically one of those at large could be another G six. But here's what I think is gonna happen. You're gonna get You know, clearly we know four from the SEC, four from the Big Twelve, and the likelihood of the three at larges going to a Big twelve or an ACC team non existent. I mean, right, because it's popularity. They want to talk about viewership being a factor being part of the criteria to get in. And I'll be honest, in recent years, like I'm not saying that there's been enough from the ACC or the Big Twelve to where like they're gonna they're getting screwed, but just to know that you can be terrible, Like the SEC coaches could collectively get together and say, yeah, y'all want to take the year off. I mean, we're kind of tired, we ran out of money to pay players other than the REV share, We're going to automatically get four in any way, Like, let's just do that. Like guaranteeing four spots in this college football Playoff before any game is played to any team in any conference is insanity and it is absolutely the biggest step made in college football. To make it quite clear, it's based off of popularity in brand more than it is results. That's what this is. And I'm aware that there could be no guaranteed spots and it still play out this exact way. I know that at least lie to me, make me think that it was based off of what you believe that these teams earned, regardless of what conference they're in. And this is not an this is not an ACC thing from my end, meaning I'm not here acting like the ACC is gonna get robbed and gonna get screwed. I mean they are if they're good, because they won't get Like anybody agreeing to this, you're agreeing that moving forward, no matter what happens, those leagues are just better and they probably will be. Or maybe I don't know, like maybe Nick Saban comes out of retirement and takes over at Virginia Tech. Maybe Kirby Smart gets arrested, gets fired, then he gets hired at Miami. Like I'm giving you crazy hypotheticals here, but I'm just saying like, if in fact those things happen, it wouldn't matter because ACC's only slotted too. Like think about that, like we're saying before a season starts, results don't matter. Why would we do that if you truly believe that you are as you know, dominant as you are in football, which I'm not saying that you're not great in football, though timing isn't great here because last year things played out to where you didn't do anything out of conference to prove that you deserve the benefit of the doubt, meaning you can be an eight and four nine and three team in the SEC and you can live in delusional world of like, well that means we basically would have been eleven and one in any other league. Well, then you played teams from other leagues and you lost or you lost to teams in your league that everybody knows, thinks. So like, you know, if you really do believe that you are as dominant as you think you are, then like, why do you need the guarantees? Just go be badass? It's like you claim you are. And again, I don't want to sound like a hypocrite because if you're Greg Sank and this is what you're fighting for, you're doing your job. I mean, hell, Greg SANKI would he be out of line to request all twelve. I'm sorry all sixteen be SEC teams, Like, I mean, that's not realistic. But like his job is to advocate for his conference, his league. So I mean, if you're the ACC or the Big twelve, you can be real with yourself and know that right now you are behind. But agreeing to this, what's your incentive to even go out and get better. You're slotted it too, they got two more than you, Like what like why would you agree to this? You could get substantially better and you'll still know that no matter what, the are getting double up to what you're getting in in the playoff. I just I just don't want to understand how this this makes. I mean, again, it makes sense for the SEC and the Big ten if you can get away like if if it if it it's what if they agree to it? But like, and I know what kind of leverage did the ACC and the Big twelve have?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 1: Right, But at some point, like if you're not gonna lie to me and tell me that it's all based off of like what teams did and how you evaluate them, not by predetermined slots set up for each conference at a certain amount, then just tell us it's popularity. And again, I'm always gonna watch college football because I don't know a scenario where I wouldn't. I love it. But like this is this is take this is making it to where it's like it's not really about what you do, like because you can do whatever and it won't matter. So we'll see if that gets you know, approved, then Also, like if you're in the like if you're in the SEC and you're like a Kentucky, I mean, you're never gonna get one of the four, right, Like I think Kentucky's only chance and Mississippi State's only chance is gonna be one of the at largest and you're just gonna have to get in based off of like again benefit of the doubt, Like, well you played in the SEC and yeah you weren't. Like imagine any world where you're not one of the four best teams in your league, but you get a chance in the playoff over a team that might have been, like, you know, the second best team in their league. Again, because results don't matter. Affiliation, popularity, that's what it's about. Now, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. We got to talk about the Bill Belichick situation, because despite this statement from North Carolina today about you know, I guess wanting to put people at ease and and I guess correct something that they felt they needed to correct about Belichick's young girlfriend being allowed near the program at all. I mean, there's there's there's some I guess verbiage in the contract with Belichick that now makes me more confident now that I've seen this that like he ain't gonna coach a game there. It's not gonna happen. Stick around. It's coffee and Company fuel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 5: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: So in about an hour, we were gonna do our Mother's Day draft. We're not drafting New Moms, but I guess I should have made sure I was. I was ready to say that correctly. We're going to do a draft of TV Moms. We've done this before, it's been a couple of years, but with Mother's Day coming up and I love implementing different drafts to the show, Austin and I are going to do a draft of TV Moms. Let's go our favorite mothers that we you know, enjoyed through a television show.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of good ones out there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, there's uh, there's I mean, there'll be some that don't get that don't get picked, but are certainly worthy of maybe a free agent type contract, you know.
Speaker 3: O DFA board is gonna be uh, it's gonna be pretty wild.
Speaker 1: Because in most I mean there aren't many There are not many television shows that I can think of where there was ever any like way of making a like mom's never a bad character, and if they are at times seeming like it, there's always that level of life. Let me give you an example, this one. I don't think we'll be drafted by either of us, but Skyler in Breaking Bad, Walter White's wife, she's the worst and very easy to hate. But throughout the show. For me, and it's been many, many many years since I watched you, at times would would have a moment of like, well, I totally get while she's acting like she's acting like, look what's going on in her world? But you know, it's a TV show, so you kind of get lost in it and you know, don't really consider you know.
Speaker 3: Something's always been kind of hot about Skyler to me, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: You might be the first person I've ever heard say that. Not that I found her to be repulsive or anything like that. I've just never heard anybody say that, because anytime she's ever been talked about that I know of, it's been people like, oh, she sucks. Although yet she was more popular than her sister, Hank's wife. What was her name?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Wow, she was very easy to hate. Oh was it Christine? Maybe? No, it was I'm gonna look at a Walter White's sister or not Walter White.
Speaker 2: Hold on, give me a second, because it's it's always on my as.
Speaker 1: I found it. It's a real easy name.
Speaker 2: Marie Murray. I knew it was Murray. I knew it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But am I wrong? I mean, I haven't watched that show in so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't like Marie.
Speaker 1: Most people didn't. But nobody likes Skyler.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I didn't like her either, But in perspective, there's some just like you said. That's I kind of get it. I kind of get why she's sort of act in that way. But she went about.
Speaker 2: Things and executed things terribly the wrong way during the show.
Speaker 1: Every character in that show, from start to finish, had moments of you not liking them, Yes, every one of them, even Walter. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, that's that's to me. That's what I mean. That's what makes a great TV show and a TV character is that someone who you find charismatic, you find ways to I mean, you don't even realize it why you're doing anying, because you know you're watching TV, but like you don't have any ability to take a step back and realize that despite this person seeming like, you know, kind of funny or interesting or maybe even understandable as to why they're the way they are in your world, most people would be like, this guy's like me, give it. I don't know if you ever watched this show Shameless, have you ever seen it?
Speaker 2: You know what it is.
Speaker 1: Frank Gallagher is the perfect example of why I kept that. I mean that show and they ended up I mean it didn't it needed to end like three seasons before that, it before it did. But he is one of my favorite characters. But in every aspect he's an absolute piece of garbage. He's a human and like, you know that, but then you kind of like see that you know, there's like a level of wanting to find some good just like the people in the show do, like they don't want this brother father husband to be the way they are, you know. So moms, though, I feel like there's not been a whole lot of range with mothers and TV shows, even ones that are like a little rough, like they're usually like, let me give you another example of a mom that I just when I watched this show, she was my least favorite character. But like if I ever kind of sat back and you know, tried to envision you know, her situation in the real world, not on TV, like I would get watched she is the way she is the mom and everybody loves Raymond. I mean her her name was also Marie, like like, you know, her husband was a real dumbass, you know what I mean, Like, you know, and her reaction her, you know, her on the show was very justified given that you know, she had who she had as in laws and her husband was a real dufust you know. It's just that show. I appreciate that show. Oh my god, yes, like that show. Let me give you that show was on and it was really actually it might have been the reruns. At the time, it was really big whenever I watched it. But I do remember it being on live when I was young, but the majority of what I watched was after it had already come to an end. But I uh, you know, nowadays with all the all the streaming platforms and just I mean I could, I could. I don't think I'll ever need a network TV show to watch, just because there's all kinds of different platforms that have all endless stuff you can find. But we went to vacation a couple of years back and we took my mama, who you know, she's she's now close to ninety years old, and you know, she she watches a lot of those shows, and she just kept it on in her in the area of the house that we rented near the beach in Jacky Island, and she just she watched a lot. I think it was TV Land. She kept it on TV Land and they played, they played Everybody Loves Raymond like I feel like, twenty four hours a day. And we would spend time with her and end up just kind of getting getting lost and binging in a little bit, watching you know, four straight episodes. And I would never seek it out, but like I've remembered, like I do, like I like that show, Like that show is like you know, it's uh, I don't know if I watched it for the first time now that I would enjoy it, But there's some nostalgia to it, but also like to me, I don't And they probably make sitcoms the same exact way now And maybe I'm just now spoiled to where I know, I don't like I can find other stuff that's more interesting to me. But no, Everybody Loves Raymond is a good show, and I can't believe it's been off the air as long as it has. Where does time go? It's crazy? All right, So let's talk about the Bill Belichick situation. So it's really just seemingly been a never ending run here where every day there's a new story that, like you just assume is true about his twenty four year old girlfriend who's really controlling, you know, seemingly his whole life. It was Pablo Torre who put it out there, I believe, on a podcast that came out this morning. Yeah, Pablo Torre. Pablo Torre finds out as the name of his show, and whatever latest episode they did, it was released earlier today, and it included him saying that North Carolina the university has basically banned Jordan Hudson from any from their football facilities.
Speaker 2: And all that.
Speaker 1: In fact, let me see if I can get this to play for you. This might actually here we go.
Speaker 4: A couple of breaking news updates since what has happened publicly since we last gathered Number One, okay, two sources at the University of North Carolina tell me that there has been a decision was made last week by the higher ups inside the athletic department that had hired Bill Belichick to be the highest paid public employee, not just coach, in the state of North Carolina, at ten million dollars a year, and that decision was that Jordan Hudson is no longer allowed in the football building.
Speaker 1: She is not allowed on the football field. Quote. Don't think you'll be hearing much from Jordan moving forward.
Speaker 5: Dang not the building.
Speaker 1: I'm so. That of course, got a lot of reaction, and within the hours of it being a real story and really just a development within the story, North Carolina released a statement basically saying that that wasn't true and I don't let me see if I can find the actual their actual statement, because I mean the fact that they have to release statements about this is insane and it has to be I mean, it has to be something that like deep down they realize, is that, like they this isn't worth it, right, even if they're having to correct things like this, these things aren't going away. There's nothing anybody could say about Bill Belichick, seventy something year old man and his twenty four year old girlfriend and what we know now as far as what's been put out before all this, like you're gonna have to keep doing this because there's not going away. This thing has created a life of its own, and you have to ask yourself do you keep like why keep doing this? What's the payout? What makes it? And even if it is in fact like all an exaggeration, what do you expect? You hired a seventy something year old guy who's no longer coaching, who's now I mean, like him being interested in coaching in college should have been a red flag to Carolina, like what are you doing here? Bill? What do you need this for?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: And he might not have had an answer until he got one from Jordan, So Carolina did say that that's not true. Kind of here's what they said, quote, while Jordan's not an employe at the University of Carolina, she is welcome to the Carolina football facilities. Jordan will continue to manage all activities related to Coach Belichick's personal brand outside of his responsibilities for Carolina Football in the university. So they're saying that she's welcome, and they're clarifying in there that she's responsible for his personal brand outside. Why not just say she's not responsible for it, she doesn't have anything to do with And you kind of did by saying she's not an employee. But like, this thing is a mess. And here's what Like all the stories we've heard about her forcing her way into that dunkin Donuts commercial, at the time, nobody knew it was just some hot chick that was, you know in the commercial with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon and Bill Belichick and they're just playing into the Boston stuff. You know who else was in that commercial, randomly Jack Harlowe. They brought out all the stars. Well she's in it, and nobody knew at the time that was Belichick's girlfriend. Well, now we see her in there and like the stories come out, Oh yeah, we remember her. She wasn't supposed to be in it. She forced her way in and we knew we wanted to get Bill in it, which Bill Belichick being in that commercial at that time was huge. I mean, he was fresh off he just got done I think coaching. I think he might have.
Speaker 2: He might have.
Speaker 1: He might not have even been done coaching New England when that was filmed, to be honest with you. So there's that. And then now we hear about Belichick doing a commercial where there were girls in bikinis. Have you heard this one, Austin. No, Yeah, he did a commercial where there was like girls in bikinis that were like part of like you know, the shoot, and she got jealous, so she went and put on a bikini and showed up too and tried to get in the commercial as well. And or maybe wasn't. Maybe it's just a photo shoot. I don't know what it was. Like it was a brand deal that he did, basically him, but probably something she arranged because she wants his money. But there were girls in bikinis and she put on a bikini and like either she was in it as well or Here's what it was. She told them that if she wanted to be in a bikini, to keep his attention because if not, he'd be distracted. Like what so here, here's what we now know with Carolina. And maybe they can get away with saying, well, we have to we have to respond to things that aren't true about our program and our decisions. But I happen to think that if they knew for certain that all these things we're hearing about her in the last two weeks aren't true, they'd be letting us know, wouldn't they. So Like, if you're going to correct this but not correct the other stuff, again, you may have the gray area of well that's their personal stuff. Either way, it's your ball, coach. Like I mean, this is this is an absolute circus. Like I don't know any Carolina football fans, and I'm not saying that to make fun. I'm being serious. I don't know any. I know some that are Carolina basketball fans, but they're just bandwagon fans who like Michael Jordan or something and didn't want to, you know, be a Louisvere or Kentucky fan. But like, your your program is TMZ in football right now. But here's here's what tells me that this will end before he coaches the game. And I don't know why there's not more attention on this. Remember his buyout that he was all, you know, real like fighting, like they were trying to say, like, look, you know we're not gonna hire if you're going to go to the NFL. Well, they ended up getting him to agree to an adjusted buyout that that would limit him from getting a last minute an NFL job, right, So in thirty days, and in fact less than thirty days, his buyout drops from ten million to one million. And Bubba Cunningham, who's the ad who's been at odds with the school and the board there for a while, including with the Hubert Davis situation, he's now linked to the Michigan State athletic director job. He goes to Michigan State to get out of this mess with Hubert and Bill Belichick. Like, to be honest, Carolina is a mess. Hubert Davis is not bringing any shame and embarrassment to their program, but he ain't good enough to be their coach and that's been proven in the last couple of years. And so this offseason they've gotten worse in my opinion, So Bubba Cunningham's gone. Whoever takes over, it's a million dollars to cut your losses with Belichick and then you start fresh, and then you probably get rid of Hubert Davis at some point. Like that's probably what's gonna happen, because that makes too much sense not to happen, not to play out that way given what's going on. I mean, you could, I mean promote Lonnie Galloway. Not Lonnie Galloway. He's not there anymore. I don't think he let he did leave Louisville for Carolina. But I'm meant to say Grek McGee, like Geric McGee left Louisville staff to go be on Belichick's staff, does make him head coach, he'll be just as good because Belichick is not really there. Clearly his family's even concerned now that like this is something right here, So I mean, there's really nothing. Look at this point, you can just understand as a university people could make up all kinds of nonsense and it's nonsense, but like you no longer have any ability to can control the narrative here, So cut your losses. I mean, to me, it's an easy decision, and I wouldn't be shocked if what you know, the whole Bubba Cunningham and the buyout, like I think that'll lead to this thing just dying soon. All right, quick break, we'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour pretty quickly, and then we got the five o'clock hour before we get out here for the weekend. So stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: We'll see if the Pacers can get off to a three and oh start tonight. They're at home after stealing I mean really stealing game game two. They got game one without a whole lot of controversy. But that comeback against the Calves, I think it might have killed Cleveland, but we shall see, we shall see. But tomorrow it is Celtics Knicks in New York and Austin. Do you have any any feel, any care at all for like Knicks fans? Like, do you do you like are they ever to or do you like them? Not like them? Indifferent? Whatever? I like them better than Celtics fans, I think, I mean, I don't actually thought about it the other night. I don't like either of these teams really right, and the Celtics are pretty easy for me to dislike, But it's really not for any it's you know, it's not for any real specific reason. But the Knicks. There was a time where I used to kind of admire the Knicks because, like I and honestly, to be fair, they have proven that if they have any little bit of momentum, like they're gonna get a lot of attention because they're in the biggest market and their fans they have a lot of them. But they're they're like the biggest front running franchise in my lifetime in any sport because they've never accomplished anything in my life and anytime they have any real big, like burst of momentum, they're always humbled and you know, belittled, but like they don't ever take their medicine. They just still, you know, like the Knicks would the Knicks behavior after a win, players fans top to bottom would make you think that they've won thirteen rings in the last twenty years. Yeah, and they don't. They don't have any accomplishments to show like they Patrick Ewing is the best Nick of my lifetime, and he never made it to the finals. I mean, you know, like they've they've been really bad for a long time, with way better resources than most because they're the Knicks in New York City. And I do think this team, like Jalen Brunson is, I respect the hell out of them. I think he's a really good player. But you know the other good players who again are good, deserve their credit, but like they're easy to dislike. I mean, Josh Hartz, the ultimate, he's on your team, hell yeah, if not yet, I don't like him. So I don't like either of these teams. But the Knicks, man, when you know they've got they probably in a weird way. Although I think a lot of these people have to be bandwagon because what part of their life, Like did the Knicks give them great memories to make them huge fans? But they've got a ton of celebrity fans and Spike right, he doesn't, you know, we don't need to check his credentials. We know he's I mean, he's a lifer, like he'll never not rep the Knicks at any moment, right. And then there's others that like I just remember always being around, like Ben Stiller, believe it or not, of all people like he's he's a diehard Knicks fan and it's been pretty clear. But they play tomorrow in New York City and the cheapest resale ticket to get into the Garden is six hundred dollars. That's insane, and it's because you know they're up to Oh, they've had more momentum now than ever and uh, you know, everybody wants to be there and they'll be. I guarantee you there'll be more celebrities at that game than any NBA playoff game we've had in a long time. I mean that, even more than La even more when the Lakers and Lebron were on a round. I mean it because it's just different with New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I listen. I love New York, love the Garden, love MSG. I mean you talk about walking into a place and just feeling the history. But like, like you said, what what other kind of like normal fans are are going to that game that for six hundred dollars a ticket.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And last year I was really into the playoffs for one series more than I've been in a long time because it was the Knicks. There's a history there, Like I remember watching Reggie tell Spike Lee, you know you all choke, can you believe it? Like the Knicks were, you know, the bad guys, and I'm a Pacers fan, and when they got off to a lead last year against the Pacers, and Josh Hart while Reggie was live on the broadcast, ran over and started talking crap to Reggie while he was on live TV, just being like the Knicks. And then we come back and get him in Game seven to end the series in New York, and like nobody talked about.
Speaker 2: It, and that just forgot about it.
Speaker 1: It pained me because it's just part of like the full proof that like market matters, meaning right, if you got a chance to prop up the Knicks, do it. But like they got humbled because they were talking reckless. They felt like they'd won the series. They were trying to punk the Pacers, and the Pacers went into the garden in Game seven and never never led by less than double figures outside the first few minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I feel like last year I pumped them. That rivalry really got restored, especially when you're talking about like between Tyree.
Speaker 1: But nobody talked about it because the narrative is that we just got to prop up the next because the Knicks. No, you're right, and the Pacers punked them. And the Pacers also gave away two games just they the Pacers should have been up to zero against the Celtics to start the Eastern Conference. At the Eastern Conference was the finals of the Simmis. Last year, it was the Simmis because they went on to play Boston. Right, No, who did Boston beat in the finals of the Eastern Conference Finals? It wasn't the Pacers. The Spacers didn't make the East Conference finals. But either way, Milwaukee maybe, but I know, Boston beat Indy and they swept them, actually I believe, but the Pacers freaking had it. I mean at least two of the first four games the Pacers honestly kind of I guess that's the good part about being a Pacers fan. No matter what you do, if it's sensational or if it's bad in a bad way, like you're not relevant enough for it to be in people's memory. Cause again, like that was a big deal last year that the Knicks got all cocky like they were back, they're about to, you know, back from what they've never been good in forty years, but like they're you know, New York is here, and then you get humbled by you know, in Game seven in your house right and stephen A. Smith melted down and cried like a little girl, and you know, all forgotten because you know it makes me I'm if you can't tell them. I'm dealing with the realization that, like my teams that I love in pro sports, market size matters, and the Colts are never going to be a big attraction for a free agent. Neither are the Pacers. So you got to build up and draft. And we got lucky with the Colts with the draft with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck and now we're screwed. And then with the Pacers, like I think they're doing absolutely in all honesty, the Pacers as an organization have always done the best they could. Like we we were in phenomenal shape to win rings, and then Lebron decided, you want to go to Miami, And you know, Lebron in Miami was the scariest Lebron we ever watched. I don't know if anybody remembers that he embraced being a villain. He wore a mask, looked like Batman, at times out there, like he couldn't believe people hated him because of the decision, and like Miami Lebron after year one there, when Dirk got his ring in Dallas that next year, it was it was scary times for Lebron in Miami and like we just couldn't get past him. We had a damn good team with Roy Hibbert. Lance Stevenson was a big part of that team. Obviously our main guy was Paul George at the time, and you know, just didn't work out. So I'll quick crying about it because I know none of you all care. Let's get to a break. We'll come back and finish strong here on a Friday, gets you out of here for Mother's Day weekend. On Sports Talk seven ninety