Speaker 1: It is cold out there this morning. Temperatures in the loath.
Speaker 2: Into at another hour of the Saturday morning edition on seven under WLW four this Saturday, April the twelfth, twenty twenty five. Shout out to my friend Scott Schneider and Steve Krebs. Thanks for the the back at you this morning, eight minutes after the hour.
Speaker 1: And I guess it's Science Mike time. What do you say?
Speaker 2: Little science minute from Science Mike on a Saturday. Why now, I'll buy.
Speaker 1: Yes as a night scientist is a bit surprising it to well blinded me, Michael, Good morning. This rounds on me.
Speaker 3: Oh, Gary Jeff, did you have RECEIPTPOL when mom was driving?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, but it wasn't because mom was driving. It was because it's the law. And also she asked me to put my seatbelt on just in case.
Speaker 3: Hey, shout out to Dick from Day. If you're listening to Dick, there's a ukulele concert tomorrow at the taff Theater downtown. I didn't know if you're going to tend or not. I get old, Gary, Jeff. I might might just buy some popcorn down there.
Speaker 1: We have a special surprise for Dick on his birthday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he called Uplift ten twenty and.
Speaker 3: Spoke to.
Speaker 5: The sports talk show.
Speaker 1: Yeah the Extra innings. Yeah, yeah, he does.
Speaker 3: Pascal Pascal Full Moon Tomorrow night four, eight, twenty two pm. Just for because it's thirty pink flocks growing season, not because it's bank or anything. Let's talk about the science topic at hand real quick, Jared, Gary, Jeff. Let's go back to the location. It's the right right Military Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio and year the year is nineteen ninety four. There's a group called the Sunshine Group project that they have uncovered a three page document from the military where they explored certain anti biological weapons to uh during any any military conflict. Now, one of the weapons was a bomb that had certain pheromones in it that when released, would cause I'll say men to be attracted to each other. UH so would be kind of kind of like a gay bomb. Yes, yes, yes, absolutely, and this was documented. They have the three page document published on their site. And the theory was that they thought that the uh, once the pheromone would enter the human body, that these the men would be attracted and would break down unit morale. And uh that's one of the theories behind the uh this biological type of weapon. I was talking to an associate at dinner last night, Tim and.
Speaker 2: UH and and they and they and they dropped one in the middle of the table, and suddenly Tim became very attracted to you.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, we were talking about we think that might be increased because of the increase of LGBT. There may be another lamblick theory that possibly could be exposed to here.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so could explain things. But just one of those interesting things just that you never know to you to you read about it, you know, it's like you got to kidd me, but hey, it's out there.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess there's there's always something for there's always something for the day, them amongst us.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mike, I'm not switching sides. And eighteen.
Speaker 2: Time for a brief chat with our friend Doomsday Dave the Mad Hatter some tech talk this morning, the mayor of Fort Wright. I can't forget that Dave had her good morning.
Speaker 3: You didn't want to hear it yet. I always get.
Speaker 1: Coffee, Always fine to talk to you, my friend.
Speaker 2: You always got lots of information that scares the bejeebers out of me. Let's go first to this thing called car exploit, which allows you to spy on drivers in real time.
Speaker 1: What is this story all about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is wild, but it's in my mind. It's more important that people understand this could happen with any kind of so called smart device, anything that's quote Internet of Things, right, your coffee maker, your doorbell, your thermostat, your toilet, and this is just another yes, anything that's smart. And this is why I don't like these sort of devices, because you know, their whole market approach is feed the market, market share, ease of use as opposed to privacy and security for you the consumer. And in this case, you have a pioneer head unit. That's what you used to call them back in the daycarey, Jeff, I'm sure remembernia you would replace the factory head unit with some cool pioneer black punk clary and whatever. Yeah, you know, believe it or not, they still make these things and people will still occasionally replace there now very elaborate infotainment centers, which is a lot more difficult because in many cases, you know, that's the brain center of the whole car. But it is possible to get these third party head units and some researchers took one from Pioneer and did some testing on it, realized that it had some vulnerabilities in it. Now, admittedly, you can't do this over the air, so to speak. You would have to physically get your hands on this thing. But you know, it could be a rental car, could be you take your car in for service, it could be disgruntled spouse or anyone that could possibly get in your car can basically exploit the vulnerabilities in there to essentially take over that head unit and then capture any information that's connected to it everywhere you're going. And this to me, Gary Jeff again, this points out a bigger issue, not so much just this story, but privacy not included Mozilla. Privacy not included. I encourage all your listeners to go look that up today. They did a huge expose on modern cars about a year and a half ago. They looked at every major manufacturer sold in the United States, and I think people would be shocked. Now this is the built in infotainment center in your modern car. I think most people would be absolutely stunned and shocked if they under to what these cars can collect now because they have cameras they have sensors, they have microphones, they're collecting tons of information. You may recall GM got ding because they started selling people's driving habits the insurance companies without their consent. So this to me just puts a finer point on a anything that has software and it is potentially vulnerable. B. The Internet of Things is most smoking privacy and security dumpster fire. And see if you don't understand how these things work and you don't know, for example, that pioneer head unit, it can be patched, but apparently it's pretty difficult to do. So you have to update the software in your Internet of Things devices or trouble is coming your way, all right.
Speaker 2: Also is let's stay on the road and in the car for a minute, and the latest car technology that's been introduced that is driving people nuts.
Speaker 1: You're starting to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, have you been in a newer car recently, Gary yet? Is they're irritating a sack to operate?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There.
Speaker 4: You know, we've gone from mechanical knobs and buttons and switches to you know, all these digital infertainment centers. You have to drill down in some cases through several many So my cars are twenty eighteen and my wife's cars are twenty nineteen. They're not exactly new, right, but they're new ish. They have all of these digital features. And you know, I can tell you even though they're both from the same manufacturer, the infotainment centers are quite different. And how you change the climate in her car is different than mine. And you know, it's frustrating to go from one to another. You have to take your eyes off the road. You know, we're worried about distracted driving, and we keep adding all this digital technology. You know, I got to click here, and then I got to click there, and I got to do this thing to like change the air conditioner. How about we just go back to I just have a slighter control and I just slide it from red to blue.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, how about how about if if we go back to having an actual key in the ignition.
Speaker 1: Or on a door.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't dispute that either. That's that's one of the things they mentioned in the article about how this stuff is driving people nuts. You know, it's hard to operate in many cases. It takes your eyes off the road because you can't just reach down and push a button. They're turn it off you now have all of these electronic features like new door handles. I mean they look cool, right, they recess, they pop out when you get closed. Sense it's the keybob. When those things break, they're incredibly expensive to fix. Not to mention, you know, because of your point about the key ignition and the key. You know, these keyfobs can be captured and your car gets stolen because Steves sit in the parking lot and they pick up the radio signal from your key fob to your car, and when you come back, your car is gone. That was a big thing for a while.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Backup cameras love them. I think it's one of the best innovations in cars in a long time. But all the rest of the sensors and so forth are there. When that stuff breaks, it is super expensive to fix, very difficult and expensive to fix those entertainment centers. So yeah, I mean, there is a cool factor, and you know, there is a convenience factor to a lot of this stuff. But the same time, I agree with the premise of the article that it's just getting harder and harder to operate the cars because we've moved away from simple intuitive controls to these very elaborate.
Speaker 2: Digital systems and more and more expensive to repair, and eventually something is going to break down or malfunction. New York Police Department sending drones to the side of nine to one one calls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought this was an interesting story, and I just don't really see any way we get around this, because as drones get cheaper and more capable, I understand why law enforcement would want to use these things. But there's been kind of a hullabaloo with privacy experts in New York. Apparently the NYPD now has some very capable drones. They can fly up to forty five miles an hour, and you know, the original theory was they would dispatch these for like safety type things, but apparently, from what I've read, you know, they're using these more and more so nine to one one call comes in. Obviously, if I can who drone at forty five miles an hour and a straight line, I can get to a scene much more quickly, right than a officer in a car, unless they happen to be, you know, adjacent to the scene or something. And you know, the point they're making is as these things fly over, they have very very powerful cameras they have microphones. You know, they can pick you up.
Speaker 3: As they're flying over.
Speaker 4: They could hover high enough that you can't see or hear them, but they're surveilling you with their surveillance technology. And again, I don't know other than for people to be aware of this and act accordingly and to you know, make this a societal conversation. That's the thing about so much of this scary depth. It's moving so fast. Unless you're in the industry or follow it closely, you'd have no reason to realize these things are happening. And you know, at some point on all those technologies that he's out of the bottle. And we need to we need to be having a societal conversation about privacy and what does all of this mean for the future and the at least potential for a dystopian or well only in type of state. You know, do you really want to be in your backyard and have a drone, you know, flying up there somewhere listening to your conversations with your neighbor. I don't well reason why I don't like wing doorbells and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: All I know is I saw RoboCop Dave, Yeah, I did two and terminator. All Right, Dave Adder, thank you so much. Have a fantastic weekend, my friend, my pleasure, you too, you got it. Gifts from Wally on the way afternoons and then Moe Egger on seven hundred WLW. One of my favorite weekends of the year as a sports fan, the Masters. Here's another well not not quite professional golfer, not quite scratch golfer. Well, I mean he he does play from time to time. Mo Egger to talk about that and much more.
Speaker 5: Hey Mo, how are we doing?
Speaker 1: Doing fine? Doing fine? First thing I wanted to get to was this.
Speaker 2: This deal with now FC Cincinnati wants in on the everybody else's money like the Bengals and the Browns do, as far as the state subsidizing stadiums and areas around stadiums and the like. And I just wanted to get your taken what you thought about all of this. I have my opinion is and has been. The legislature has already approved the Browns request for bonds to build a new stadium in suburban Cleveland. And you know, frankly, if I had my choice and I was the Browns, I'd like to be out of downtown Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Myself.
Speaker 2: But what I'm thinking about this is, don't the fans already subsidize these teams by buying tickets and supporting them and buying the merch and everything. Why should the taxpayers i e. Fans of the teams in the states in which they reside. Why should they have to pay again to subsidize these teams.
Speaker 5: It's a very fair and reasonable question, isn't it. You know, because as we are told, there's a great economic benefit that we all enjoyed, and I siddenly think there's some validity to that. There's a great economic benefit that we all enjoy by having these teams and shiny new palaces, and there's an amount of prestige.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: If you remember in nineteen ninety six when the vote was done to build what eventually became Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ballpark, you know, the part of the campaign was, well, we don't want to be like Louisville. Well, we don't want to be like Columbus. We're a major league city and if these teams move, oh, by golly, we're going to be one of those like poor towns that doesn't have major League sports. So there's that as well. I personally find all discussion of stadiums and how they're going to be paid for to be excruciatingly mind numbing. What's different with that see Cincinnati, I guess it's they just built the place, right, They just built the stadium. They're not going anywhere. And so you know, oftentimes, when you know, teams will will put a gun to the public's head and say and look, the Bengals did this in the mid nineties. As much as people don't want to admit it, the Bengals did this in the mid nineties and go, well, hey, you know what, if we don't get what we're looking for, you know, we could move. That's not exactly happening with f C Cincinnati, and frankly, I don't think it's going to happen with the Cincinnati Bengals, but here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just, uh, it's another one of those things of well, let's uh, let's so, let's help the wealthy by soaking everybody else. And because the Brown the Brown family, and not to bank on them, because all these owners do this at one form or another, I guess except Jerry Jerry Jones paid for that place in Arlington but uh for the most part. I mean, that's that's the billion dollar wonderland. But the towns make money. The Browns make money every year.
Speaker 5: Oh it's impossible money owning an NFL, Right, I mean, you know, I have almost no business acumen, but if you handed me an NFL team, I would make I would make uh a a an insane amount of money. It is it is. And that's that's not to say that the Brown family aren't great business people, because they are. But you you, my my nearly eight year old daughter could make money owning UH and an NFL team. But I think there's something to kind of what your reference there. And people get mad at me when I say this, like, we keep putting more and more money as the public into stadiums, and and look, man, I get it. Like we we built Paul Brown Stadium, and we built Great American Ballpark, and I think there have been ancillary benefits to that that we've all all enjoyed, right, we all enjoyed the banks, we all enjoy having two stadiums on the riverfront. But the more and more money we put in new stadiums, the more inaccessible they become for a lot of people, Right, And I said this on my show last year when I saw the renderings of what you know, the next pay corpse stadium could look like, I said, what I see as a stadium that fewer people are going to be able to afford to go to. That to me is the great irony in all this, Like taxpayers keep paying more money for stadiums, and the stadiums keep becoming more inaccessible for more and more people. And I wish that wasn't the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if it was for talking about a publicly subsidized arena that the taxpayers are already paying for, shouldn't everybody be able to go?
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: And the TQL thing is just the FC Cincinnati thing is just well, they're getting theirs. We want ours too, because we're a professional sports franchise. It's just man, once the hands are out and they start and greased, everybody wants their handout.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want well.
Speaker 5: And and you don't think that the Cincinnati Reds and the Cleveland or the Cleveland Guardians both in ballparks. You know where the Guardians play opened in nineteen ninety four. I don't know how much talk stories of a new place in Cleveland. But you don't think the two major league baseball teams in the state are going to be far behind. Of course they are. So it's you know, the cookie jar is opened. It was opened by the Cleveland Browns, and now everybody's gonna want to put their hand in it. And like, there's a part of me, there's a part of me that understands it, right, Like, wait a minute, you're going to give this kind of coin to the Browns. Well, we're a professional sports team as well. Here's what I want, Okay. I think the rules should be this. You can't get a new stadium, and you can't get publicly public money for a new stadium until your team hosts a winning postseason game.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 5: So like it took the Bank Goos twenty years to host a winning postseason game in their new stadium. Great American Ballpark, for all of its time, has yet to host a winning postseason game. That is not the case with the Cleveland Guardians. I don't know if that's the case with the Cleveland Browns. They've advanced in the postseason, I don't know if they have won it home. That should be the new rule that you can't get a dime from taxpayers until the current place we built for you hosts your team winning a postseason game.
Speaker 2: Moeger on this day, Dave Keaton write this down April twelfth, twenty twenty five, at eight forty eight. Moeger says, make meritocracy great again.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about my favorite sports weekend of the year. It's It's not the Final Four, although I did very well thanks to a benevolent friend who puts some wagers down for me. Based on Dick from Dayton's Picks last weekend, Dick predicted in the Final Four that Florida would win, that Houston would win, and that Florida win the national championship. So based on Dick's Dick picks, he and I are both two hundred dollars richer this week thanks to our friend who made the bets for us. And so it was a pretty good weekend. But I love the Masters Sundays or a day not only the Lord's Day. Go to church maybe and then and then settle home and watch the final round of the Masters. You and I've taught golf before because well only because I like to talk golf on the radio for all the people who think it's like watching paint dry. Uh, I enjoy it. And so far it's been a pretty good tournament, and some of the same names are there. And the thing about golf that I think appeals to me the most, mo and tell me if you agree, is the fact that it's an individual sport and you're you're you're not playing against a team. You're you're playing against the course and basically, you know, against yourself many times. But I know there's no I in team, but there are also two u's and shut up. And that's what I tell people who do mean golf.
Speaker 5: We're on the same page. It's the competitor. It's the golfer versus the course. Right, It's not so much the golfer versus the other golfers. It's the golfer versus the course, and oftentimes the golfer versus himself. You know, That's what you hear these guys say so much like sometimes my biggest enemy is is my head? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 5: And so I think what's been cool about the tournament this year is we've gotten good weather. It's just I was saying this to somebody yesterday that it feels like over the last five or six years that there have been so many rain interrupted Masters, and maybe I'm overstating that, but it just feels like there have been so many Majors, but specifically the Masters where you know they can't have a normal tournament because of whether the weather has looked stunning down there at Augusta. And I think the way the things have played out over the first thirty six holes sets us up for a really fun next two days. And obviously I think most people are wondering if Scotti Scheffler can figure out a way to become the first repeat winner since two thousand and two, two thousand and three, but he's going to have a lot of competition, including the course itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Justin Rose, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Justin Rose has been in the lead or tied for the lead nine times and never won the thing. He's in the lead going into the weekend, and will this be another meltdown by Justin Rose as he's entering the twilight of his career really in professional golf, in the PGA Majors. And I just think it's extremely interesting. There's like so many angles to it because of all the variable factors and against the players playing against themselves in many cases, especially as you get down to the nitty gritty and the final eighteen tomorrow, I'm rooting for I'm rooting for Rory McElroy and who's never won a Master's. He's won four majors, but he's never won a Master's. And I'm kind of rooting for Justin Rose just because he's never won either, even with all these early round leads that he's enjoyed.
Speaker 1: And I like Scotty.
Speaker 5: I like Scotty. I'm rooting for Rory. I bet on Rory don't win it. He's had a lot of top ten finishes. He obviously had you know what happened to him last year at Augusta, which you know that's going to be looming over the next two days, but it's going to be it's going to be really competitive. Golf is in a really good place right now. And you know, I know the sport is fractured because of of Liz and the divide between the players who have bolted the PGA Tour for liv But you talk about a sport you were referencing gambling before. You talk about a sport that I think to a degree, has really taken off because of gambling. It's golf. Like I know a lot of people who would not have normal who would not have normally watched this weekend. But you know, on Wednesday night or Thursday morning, they picked a golfer, they put a couple of bucks on them, and there's lots of different golf wagers you can make, and now they're going to settle in and watch. I heard Jim Nancay this, you know Jim Nancy esteemed Voice of the Masters. I listened to him on a podcast about a year ago where he said, look, this is a sport that if it leans into gambling, can really benefit from it. And that has happened. I'm sure that's not going to be a referenced during the weather pretentious Masters broadcast, but that doesn't make it any less true.
Speaker 2: And I know tomorrow I'm gonna if I get a chance to go to the store tomorrow, I'm going to try and get the ingredients to replicate a perfect Augusta of Meno cheese sandwich. Pirates are in town and have reds, have one win under their belts and going for two tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Brady's singer, you know it was whether last night wasn't wasn't favorable to I think anybody, but Brady talked about after the game that he had a really hard time with his command. Red scored some runs early. He got some really good defense, Gavin Lux makes a really nice play in left field throwing a runner out at second base. Santiago espen All made a really nice play last night. The Red scort some runs early. I think within the first team first fifteen games, there's or I guess fourteen games, there's something that hasn't been talked about nearly enough that you saw last night. This team's been better defensively, and you know, obviously they haven't hit enough, and I think that's going to be a recurring issue, unfortunately. And the starting pitching has been really good and the bullpen work. The bullpen work was awesome last night. But we talked about it a lot this offseason. This team was going to have to be better defensively and in many ways, in ways that you can't necessarily see when you look at the box score. There have been mistakes, there have been airs that those are unavoidable, but over the first fourteen games, there haven't been nearly as many of those instances where they they give up a run that they shouldn't, or they give up an extra base where they give up an extra out, and oftentimes they've made some really good plays in the field that they weren't making last year. That has to happen on a frequent basis for this team, and despite their record and despite the frustration with the offense, that's been an area of improvement and we saw that come to the surface last night.
Speaker 2: Have a fantastic weekend mode. Thank you very much, counselor. Good morning, Good morning. How are you man?
Speaker 1: I'm good. How about you? Saturday midday? Tell me about it. Well, I'll tell you what it is, a jam Pack show.
Speaker 6: We're going to talk about tariffs, talk about the budget bill that passed. We're gonna tell you a little bit about Supreme Court sanity with legal analyst Steve Gooden. That'll come at eleven. Going to talk about the Save Act and that's the act where you have tod you talk about owners you have to actually show an ID when you vote.
Speaker 1: Now that's just horrible. I mean, we're gonna talk about that today.
Speaker 6: We got political analysts Orlando Sanza at ten o'clock and of course Reds Report at eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Fantastic Saturday midday Mike Allen coming up next after the show, show slinging drinks for Hillbillies and others at Huddles on Mama Street. Be a nice day to get out and have a cold one with us if you so are inclined. Until then, well, oh, Monday Night, got a rare nightcap. The Reds are off on Monday, so we'll talk to you nine to midnight with some special surprises on the show.