Speaker 1: Thank you for choosing to download the Ham Radio two point zero audio podcast rip. This is the audio taken out of a video or a live stream I did recently. You can catch all my videos on YouTube Ham Radio two point zero and catch us live every Sunday night at seven pm Central Standard Time for a different topic each week. Thank you for the support, and thank you for being a member of the community. Seven o'clock straight up. A lot of people in the chat, thanks for being here early. Appreciate the uh chat in there. Getting in there and talk to people on the early side, and we're gonna switch over right there. So Happy Mother's Day. And the guys, the guys at zoom are like, how many mothers do you think you're watching? I was like, my mother usually watches, but she's probably the only one, so I don't know. I don't know. We'll see good evening to everybody. Special shout out to folks in Green Text YouTube channel members, thank you for joining for your support of the channel. I see K six already, j in there. You guys are too loud in zoom. Vick Miller, Tom KB eight d XN. I see you in there. Stephen LeBlanc, see you in there, Wayne Hamshak TV, Joe Framo. Who else is there? Cooley? I see you in there, hemorld, Ernest Frank is in there trying to make sure I get everybody. Redman forty four eighty nine, Jeff don KC five QQ. That's a cool name, KC five qq qq qq less qq more PP. I don't know if any World WARCAFF fans are out there, but there we go. All right, good evening to everybody. Appreciate you guys being here tonight. Oh it's jumped up to two twenty now, and we gotta I gotta get these guys brought on pretty quickly because Frank's not here, and we're gonna We're gonna take advantage of having a Frank free live stream real quick. But first off, let me say that the Mystery Box subscriptions have been pretty darn solid. I don't know why, but the top tier, the most expensive one, has been the most popular one, and I thought that would be flipped the other way around. I thought the forty dollars one would be the most popular. I sold a few of these and a few of these. The Morning in the Middle is probably the least popular, but those are still going strong. Still got a lot of stuff going in there, and a couple of the vendors that we have on tonight, I might try to hit them up for some wholesale prices hintint, And you never know what you're gonna get in a mystery box, so appreciate the support on the channel for those guys. The first batch of T shirts should be in tomorrow. They were supposed to be in yesterday. They didn't show up because there's the T shirt printership them via ups and ups is terrible and you can quote me on that. I don't mind saying that out loud. So but they should be here tomorrow and which means the first batch of boxes will go out tomorrow. I'll get him out before I leave Tuesday morning for him vention, so we'll see how that goes. So thank you for thanks for everybody checking that out. I'll put a link to those. You should already have a link to that if you're on my email list, but I'll put a link to that in the chat right there. And let's switch over and get everybody in here because nobody wants to listen to me tonight. Got a couple of special guests in here tonight, and let me switch over here and I'll tell you guys exactly how this came about. Oh that's the wrong size. Here we go, boom, switch over there. What's up, fellas, how's everyone doing.
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: We go, Yeah, thanks, appreciate that. So, yeah, a lot of new faces in the chat tonight, a lot of familiar faces as well. So we're gonna go through and welcome everybody. But Dave up there at the top. Dave, wave your hands so they know who you are up there, top, top left corner. He emails me the other day and he's like, Hey, he's gonna be with Seed Studios at a booth in him bench and he saw the notification about the live stream. He's like, I want to come on and talk about our booth. And I'm like, you know, that's probably a good idea. Let's do that. And then uh and then Rob and Jonathan It is it Jonathan. No, there's too many people in my chat, guys. Yeah, other Jonathan. There's more than one Jonathan. That'sating. There's more than one Jonathan in the chat. Rob and Jonathan were in my premiere live stream the other day. I'm like, why don't you guys come on too, and then and now we've got the Meshtastic guys joining us as well, So so we're gonna We're gonna let everyone talk. But uh, I do want to give Dave the floor first, because this was kind of his idea. Dave, I stole the idea from you, and hope, hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I know. I'm gonna so welcome, buddy. How are you you're in You're in Maine right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm in Portland, Maine and an a loft hotel. Okay, doing a project up here. I'll be flying from here straight to Dayton on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: But yes, so I'm the official, unofficial kind of Ham radio spokesperson for Seed Studios. Okay, we kind of partnered up. We were doing a bunch of income stuff with the T one thousand, and we kind of partnered up, and now I'm helping them kind of spread the word. So hey, David, Hey.
Speaker 4: Does that make you an amateur spokesperson?
Speaker 3: I think I'm an amateur spokesperson.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Look look what I just found in my pocket.
Speaker 4: It is right here.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we're gonna be at booth five thousand and seven in the hurd. We're gonna have the T one thousand. I'm bringing fifty of these. Okay, fifty of these, which is the better I think you better be bringing more like five hundred.
Speaker 1: But that's just like you trying to get it is the hard part, some kind of there butt, right, I imagine, Yeah, yeah, Okay, have.
Speaker 3: A solar node that we're coming out with on display.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 3: Then there's a new device called the l One, which I haven't even seen yet, that we're going to have on display. I hope it'll be me and Betty from Seed Studios just kind of there to ask questions, show off the devices, and if you want to pick one up. These are going to be forty eight dollars. These are going to be seventy three.
Speaker 1: Seventy three. Everyone should buy one of those just because of the number, so exactly.
Speaker 3: And then we may have some of the little show esp. Thirty two kits. Still not sure if they're going to make it to the.
Speaker 1: Show, okay, And that'll be Seed Studios booth number again five zero zero seven, five zero zero seven. Okay, we'll be stopping by to talk to you guys for sure. Home So good deal man, I'm glad you guys are going to be there. Betty, she was the one at me at mesh Con down in Texas a few months ago. Right, yeah, yeah, that's all right. Yeah, can can you get him to explain the device? Okay? So these are mesh Tasks devices and I just happened to by some by some Miracle have the Meshtastic developers on the stream tonight. So yeah, and so we're gonna we'll talk about Mestastic. We're going to talk about the ham mentioned firmware that Mike just mentioned in the chat. So yeah, we will. But Dave, if you want to give a very brief, high level overview of what those devices are, feel free.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is the tracker. It's an all in one card, waterproof device, antenna. Everything's all in one spot. You can hang it off of a lanyard hanging around your neck, put it in your pocket, really small compact device. This is the indicator, which I'm trying to get it to turn back and I've got it on a power brick right now.
Speaker 1: Yah. Yeah, welcome to live streaming.
Speaker 3: But it is a it's kind of like the t deck it's got Okay, you can put the and I'm trying to get good light. But you can put the fancy UI on it when it's completely independent. It's meant to be kind of a desktop node. It's USB powered only and there it's no battery, no anything else. This actually has a case on it that Ali Cat Designs makes to kind of make it sit on the desk even better. But yeah, so this is kind of your home node. This is your travel node. We'll have the solar node on display, which should be on pre order right now for about eighty six bucks I think. And it's yeah, big, all in one, no external parts or pieces. Antenna connects directly to it. It's pretty neat.
Speaker 7: Pardon a question about the solar node.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 7: So how many watch does have put out?
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 8: Don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't have that deep aspects on it yet because they.
Speaker 9: Haven't less than one, less than one one?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I think that's what it's at.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool? Uh? That Yeah, that's what's what's the one when the white case called would you call.
Speaker 3: It the indicator?
Speaker 1: Indicator? I might pick one of the that might go well in my truck because I need something to connect to my external magmat and ten on the truck.
Speaker 3: That's what I have mine. I have one in the house of the truck.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe that's what I'll pick up. We'll see, so yeah, cool man.
Speaker 11: Well that's I think that's a great device for the vehicle, right, that's touchscreen, and.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's bigger.
Speaker 3: You can put the the older or the regular fra more on it, and it's got a huge display. Obviously, if you just want to use it as a truck node, it's a little difficult when you start trying to chat or do anything on it with the little abd uh keyboard that pops up.
Speaker 1: Can you connect to it via blue tooth like a regular node?
Speaker 3: You can if it's got the original firmware, you cannot. If it's got the fancy u I right now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, the m u I takes up that one API slot and so they you can connect to it, but they'll fight with each other. I think there's actually a way, like you long press something in the firm where and it'll turn off the m U I and then you can bluetooth.
Speaker 10: To it if you press the bluetooth button.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think if if you go to like the bottom right, the bottom left, corner, and then there's a tab called settings. I think that over there there is a I think that's how you get to the Bluetooth settings or connect to it through Bluetooth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's in the settings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, cool good, cool man. Okay, well, thanks for thanks for being on Dave. Feel free to hang out. You can stay as long as you want, all right, and we're gonna get some other folks in here. So I saw Frank join, and I know he wants to say something. So Frank asked to have an ask to unmute button on top of Frank's zoom window.
Speaker 14: It is unus.
Speaker 1: That is an oxyboron waiting to happen. It's a tragedy waiting to ask to unmute Frank. Okay, what's up, buddy, how are you doing?
Speaker 8: Doing good?
Speaker 14: Man, doing good? I just opened up some at Keith the single Molt Japanese whiskey from Paul there, from Paul, Thank you very much, Paul. I appreciate it and I'm enjoying that this evening. I just got off of a youth on the ear and live stream with Neil and I want to bring this up because they said they're just falling short of what they need to make the Denver goal, and they need some more help and support. So I'm dropping the donate link in the Okay, if y'all are able to go over there and donate to them. It's a great program where they only for one hundred dollars. One hundred dollars, they spawn, they bring these kids over and they have a great program. There's a bunch of STEM activities, a bunch of radio activities and some not radio activities, just having fun with kids. It's all paid for it, but bye by the organization. They just need your help to push them over the edge. And if you can go ahead donate. I'm just getting the word out more for Neil and I think this is an awesome event.
Speaker 1: So good. Yeah, no, thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 14: Other than that, I activated a park and activated Dinosaur State Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, it was fun.
Speaker 14: What else?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 14: I got Voice of American Museum, the Radio Club.
Speaker 1: They were on the air.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and they stumble across my little transmission.
Speaker 2: But it was fun.
Speaker 1: I was I was Ivan in the truck yesterday I think yesterday, maybe a couple of days ago, and I was hunting Poda, so I was just turning the dial on the on the t S for eighty while I was hunting, and I heard some people calling back to a station. I couldn't hear the station itself, the hunt, the activator themselves, but I heard W one a w call back to the activator. I was like, all right, so those guys are out there, so that was kind of fun to hear. But uh, okay, cool man, thanks for being on the show tonight. And uh yeah, Frank, Frank's in the chat watching for questions like he normally does, so he out have fun. Yeah, we got a few special guests on tonight.
Speaker 14: So I saw, I saw, and I believe I talked to Jonathan before. But I am so jealous of his office. I want that office. I want that chair, I want that wooden background, or I just want.
Speaker 1: Everything that's cool.
Speaker 14: You're missing a cigar.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, and like some kind of Republican Party uh emblem behind you, but yeah no, that's that's I'm kidding. I'm not kidding, but you know, for those of you who take offense, I'm kidding. So cool. Okay, so let's move on. I'm gonna keep I'm gonna keep going here, So I'm gonna let Rob talk next, because Rob is Rob and Jonathan, and I'm gonna let you guys guess which Jonathan, and then we'll see if you're ride or not here in a minute. But I'm gonna let Rob talk. Rob is the creator of the spool Tenna. I did a video about the spool tenna when I was in Galveston a couple of months ago. You guys hopefully have seen that on the channel. Rob You're gonna have a booth at four Days in May. Are you gonna be in at him mentioned as well? Or is it just the four Days in May thing?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we'll be in both.
Speaker 1: Okay, both good?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, tell people about your product band from the Horse's Mouth, go ahead.
Speaker 16: Okay, Well, first off, thanks for having me on kind of a newer to the scene. We uh designed spool tenna.
Speaker 10: It's a in fed half wave. The uniqueness of this is that it's a it's on a.
Speaker 16: Spool form factor, so you know, you can unspool it very quickly, put a pan or a pencil or a screwdriver and split out very quickly. Being on a larger radius, it doesn't put a tight kink on any of the wire, any of those wires that have a memory, and then it really eliminates that tangle and that probability for tangle. So we we are building.
Speaker 8: Designed this here.
Speaker 16: I designed it and we're building it turning into a family business. Nice in Carrie, North Carolina, just outside of Raleigh, and looking to show these at Dayton. Will be at four days in May at the vendor night, I believe that's Thursday night, and then we'll be at outdoor flea Market section seven seven and right about the middle of the infield.
Speaker 14: Are those kids or are you buy all complete?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry? What was that?
Speaker 14: Are those kit builds that we could pick up before day in May? Or they are a it's going to be a pre built okay.
Speaker 10: Be pre built?
Speaker 16: Yeah, but good okay, quick quick little deployment and easy up, easy down.
Speaker 10: It's got the built in inside.
Speaker 16: It's got a forty nine to one on the inside, so resident on forty fifteen ten all protected and throw it in your bag and your kit and quick quick for PODA.
Speaker 1: What you didn't see in the video is my video is that I deployed that and I think I was on twenty meters, although I might have been on fifteen I can't remember, and I had the Icy seven O five running FT eight, so I wanted to see if the device got hot or not. So I went down there and I just guess I happened to touch it at the time it was transmitting it was hot that No, it was not hot, it was electric. It gave me a good zappa. There's like, okay, it is alive. So yeah, the price, you know, yeah, yeah right, nine vote battery.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Rob saw this, but Mike was sitting here staring at the screen kind of look like looking like he was gonna how he could, uh, how he could mod that already with his uh, with his with his LinkedIn fed Uh of course, let me.
Speaker 1: Let me mentioned this.
Speaker 16: We we decided to open source the design.
Speaker 1: So you can go to GitHub.
Speaker 16: Okay, look up spooltena or my call sign ko for h u I and download the kai kat files downloaded. Uh, you know, pull the trademark spull tenant name off and and and have at it with the you know, make it your experimenter's platform for you know in fed halfways. So we thought it was important to get back to the community and be the basis for experimentation.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 5: You can you can buy these.
Speaker 3: On spool tenna dot com.
Speaker 16: You can follow us on spool tend on Instagram, and we'll have him at the show and four.
Speaker 1: Days may cool. I sure.
Speaker 16: The website price is one forty nine?
Speaker 15: What and how many at the show.
Speaker 16: We'll do one thirty nine at the show.
Speaker 1: How much power is what they're asking?
Speaker 10: Oh? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Hundred watts hunter watts?
Speaker 14: Yeah, wow, and the.
Speaker 1: Fifty digital fifty on digital, but one hundred on Yeah, that's that's actually kind of typical of an infant halfway most of them. So okay, it worked well, I was, I was. I've used it on ten and fifteen and twenty and it's uh. I had good experience with mine. So yeah, thanks for being here, Rob, appreciate it, man, look looking forward to meeting you face to face in a few days here. So yeah, feel free to hang out, uh and uh, you know, just leave whenever you need to, but feel free to hang out with this if you want to. So sounds good. Cool, all right? So Jonathan from ham Gadgets, he was the other one in the chat with me on the premiere, So these are Robin Robin Jonathan we're in the chat and they were talking about and Rob was in there a school Tenna, and then Jonathan was in there and I'm like, dude, I should know your call signed because he said I'll be at four days and May. We'll have a booth and I'm like, who are you because I should know your calls Ham Gadgets. Okay, cool, So Jonathan, thanks for joining us tonight, buddy. How are you doing it?
Speaker 2: Doing quite well?
Speaker 13: Thanks for having me on here.
Speaker 1: Yep, So go ahead and tell us about what you're what you're bringing to four days in May.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So I'll be at both four days in May and at Dayton Hamvention four days and May the vendor Knight of course, as well as booth five thousand and three. It's gonna be both me and Radio Dan, who's the owner of Ham Gadgets, and I'm just I'm a manufacturer and he handles all the distribution for me. I sell different kits that are useful for the PoTA Soda operators, specifically like the c W operators. I also make a radio called the CFT one, which my camera is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, CFT one.
Speaker 13: It's a five band c W field transceiver with a really simple user interface and a very low noise receiver and I could go all day talking different points about it, which I won't. I also sell and fed halfwave kits. That was the first thing I sold in Kadi m R D and Mike knows knows very well about it. My camera is blocking it, but it's very similar to the K six r K ones that's ultra portable but a little bit easier to assemble. I also do Morse code paddles. These are actually three D printable. If you go on Printables you can print them yourself if you want, but I also sell them as a kit. I've also got paddle kits for the k X two and KH one, and I also sell leg straps for them.
Speaker 18: Uh so that's what I've got.
Speaker 13: But I also was asked to advertise for Adam kase Z a R K R A N six A R A Joshua from toofton Antenna and five F Y, as well as Aaron from Modern Morris. They'll be right next to me at Booth five thousand and four, but Aaron will be let me see. He told me. It will be at boot one two zero six twelve O six. The map shows commotion which is his dad's electrical engineering company. He'll have some new color paddles, h but it'll be unlimited stock, first come, first serve that. So there's the message from Aaron and so I do hope you guys come and check us out.
Speaker 19: Awesome, that's a CFT one. Jonathan is a beast. That's the cw on. That thing is so smooth and the unit user interface is amazing. I mean you can literally sit down and just go to town on that.
Speaker 15: That radio.
Speaker 19: You just reminded me, Jonathan, I still have to get my review of your radio out. It's it's it's on my computer. I just remember that I have never put that out. So I've got some video editing to do in my future.
Speaker 1: Well, if Kyle says that it's a good cw rig, then you know it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I actually got.
Speaker 13: Used his I actually used his video to help troubleshoot the iambic A versus IAMBIC B because the explanation they give for that can be kind of confusing, and his explanation was very intuitive.
Speaker 1: So I use that to figure.
Speaker 13: Out that with Evan K two e j A t helped me get that, and that's the reason why it's so it's so robust.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that was Adam who gave that presentation.
Speaker 19: But yeah, my CW Operators roundtable, we uh decoded IAMIC A versus IAMIC B and there are some differences. You gotta watch the video to figure it out, but there are differences.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just still trying to figure out the difference between K and R right now.
Speaker 19: So that is probably your first good that's a first good step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, ving that my my my call son is not l C five hw B. But Kyle and I came up when a idea for a T shirt and it's gonna say you are h n N and it's just you are h n N and that's it's just gonna say that on the front and then and everyone has ever screwed up CW before. I should get that. So but yeah, if some of you were like, what does that mean, I don't know.
Speaker 19: Go take a look at take h right right right exactly.
Speaker 1: So cool man. Thanks for being on here, Jonathan. I look forward to meeting you. I'm pretty sure I met you last year.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think we shook hands and yeah, and spoke briefly, probably at the at the pub boot Pub.
Speaker 1: Could be, but I was at Four Days in May. Also, were you there last year?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, it was my first year there.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm sure that I met you there. And then yeah, we're we were at the troll Pub last year and we're gonna be at the troll Pub again this year. So stay tuned. We're gonna talk about that upcoming. But uh yeah, thanks for being here, man. I appreciate you guys coming on and presenting tonight.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you bet all right. So we're just gonna roll in now to Meshtastic and I know that uh let's see how many people do we have one from? I know Garth and Jonathan and Austin.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think he's just the three of us, just the three.
Speaker 1: Of you, okay. And uh and I know that Rob down there, uh w fi I t R Rob. He's done some videos about the new Hamvention firmware. So if you guys would give us a let us know what. Well, first of all, I believe the u r L is Hamvention dot meshtastic dot org. Is that correct?
Speaker 12: That's correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, Frank, if you want to type that up and put that in the chat. I did share that in my email blast today. So again hopefully you guys are part of my email list. But yeah, so tell us what to what what?
Speaker 9: I think it's probably I think it's probably more fun to talk about ham mention last year.
Speaker 1: And yes, I was gonna I was about to start there. I was about to start with that. Yes, yeah, so let's do that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, ham Bitchion twenty twenty four was where we realized we had a problem. We had a big problem. Meantastic hadn't been big enough for it to be a problem until then. That was the first time that enough people got together in the same place. And then what made that worse is that somebody went and flipped the MQTT stuff on and so not only was there the local traffic they were taking. We run an MQTT server where people can bounce off of that from anywhere around the world. Somebody was taking all of that traffic, sucking it into their node and then rebroadcasting it locally, and you know, everybody's radios virtually melted down as a result.
Speaker 1: It was It was chaos, Yes, it was.
Speaker 9: And so that's when we first really started looking at it and going, Okay, we have enough people in the same building now at some of these events. Ham Vinchion is one of the big ones. Defcon is another one. Since then we had a bunch of nodes of deaf coon, so we started asking ourselves what can we do to fix this? And what came out of this was as the convention firmware, and so we put everybody on a faster speed of you know, more bandwidth, less airtime, different channel, so that we're not competing with the defaults. And then we go and we do some things like let's send less telemontry, let's send telemetry less often. Let's basically all the things that the firmware does by default that makes sense when there's up to one hundred people. A lot of that doesn't make sense when you've got a thousand people together or more than that, and so there's a lot of those things that are in there that are cut down. One of the other big things that we did is, since him mentioned last year, is on the m QTT server, we actually zero hop all of that traffic, which means that even if you go in and do the same thing that the guy did last year, say I'm going to download all of this, your local node's not going to rebroadcast it, so you only melt your local node and.
Speaker 1: Not anybody else.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna let Garth and Austin get in on this too, because they spent they've done a lot of the legwork on thinking this through and making the making the builds work, particularly as what Austin's been had his hand in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's been a lot of fun. I'm Austin. I do all of the Linux packaging and I've been having a lot of fun getting into the build process also.
Speaker 9: Were you you automated the uh the building of the special convention firmware too, right, It's not just the Linux stuff.
Speaker 10: Right right, I've been getting more into that stuff. Lots of fun.
Speaker 1: Now is this is this? Is this specific firmware?
Speaker 2: Is it? Well?
Speaker 1: I've got two questions about it. Yeah, you guys had some hand in the settings. We didn't have specific firmware, but we had a specific settings we used at ham Cation in Orlando last February, and we went through and just kind of changed like three or four settings in just kind of the default firm where and it worked beautifully that time. So I guess that this is is changing the number of hops and changing it from long fast to short fast and changing like one other thing and turning off m QTT if it's on, obviously, but there was one other change in there as well. Is that kind of what the convention firmware is doing for you automatically, right.
Speaker 10: So it doing all of those things. We also added some fancy branding. I can actually show this off we just added and then oh.
Speaker 9: Live demo, live demo, right fingers.
Speaker 1: There you go. If it comes up, Oh, it's really.
Speaker 9: Bright coming, it's coming, so you can see.
Speaker 1: It's a ham. It's a ham emoji, it's a ham. It's a ham. Yeah, there is there. That's great, that's good.
Speaker 10: Great flash again. We're having a lot of fun with this. And this is actually the first time we're using the short turbo mode. It's five hundred killer hurts wide instead of two hundred and fifty. You can it's yourself dictionaries on this thing, and it's almost instantaneous. We're greatly excited to see how that's going to play out.
Speaker 4: So is the turbo mode. Is the turbo mode new or is that something that's been around for a while.
Speaker 10: It's been in there for quite some time, We've just never used it at this scale.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, it is the newest of the presets. I maybe it's been in there about a year or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, kind of Well.
Speaker 20: I will somewhere deal with distance. In other words, so what kind of coverage do you expect get.
Speaker 12: Don't mention said, Yeah, it's gonna be less.
Speaker 9: It's gonna be less distance from each individual. But you've got so many people in the same place, and the fact that it's meshing, they're going to rebroadcast each other. We you know, like like we said we did. We did def Coon and they were in Vegas and distance was not a problem. We ran with the short fast there. I don't think we went to short turbo. But there's just so many nodes. The the problem you run into is not distance. The problem you run into is airtime contention.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 15: So I flashed my.
Speaker 1: Well, Carlos, you got a Carlos is probably jumping out of an airplane right now. That's why his internet quick. He took his chair with him this time, which I thought was strange, But uh, Kyle, you had something, go ahead, Kyle.
Speaker 19: Yeah, So I flashed my node with the hamdvention firmware, and so obviously I'm going to use it during ham Vention. Whenever I come home from ham Vention, do I need to reflash it or or flash it with another version that you guys are going to put out, or can I use the hanmdventioned version whenever. I'm just you know, tooling around Saint Louis here.
Speaker 10: So, I mean, we changed a lot of things in the event. Firmware is one thing. I forgot to mention. We've baked in three channels this year, all with different encryption keys that are not you know, compatible with the main mesh. And that's kind of on purpose. So you went and took this home, then you'd be a party of one unless you went and changed all the settings back.
Speaker 19: Anyways, Well, sometimes that's the best thing for me, So that's that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My question was about the existing channels you have, because we've got some We've got some custom channels for the North Texas area here where I am. If I flash this ham benched firmer, is it going to nuke everything I have in my in my custom settings that I've already set up, it will? Okay, Okay, this is why you should have more than one or perhaps maybe more than ten meshtastic notes, so you can set one up for all these different events and whatnot.
Speaker 4: So all right, so Jonathan and Austin, I was going to ask about that because I was doing my notes today and I'm an IT guy, so I can I can get in and do the command line and pull my keys out and stuff like that and back it up. Are you guys going to have a routine that that's maybe a little bit more user friendly for for something that would be a little bit more adoptable for let's say Mike for example, since he blatantly says he doesn't know anything about computers, that's true.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's not in there yet. That is something that we've we've talked many times about. It's like trying to figure out, how do you how to particularly those keys right, the PKAI keys, how do you back those up? How do you make it easy for the normal user to back it up? I think Garth probably can talk about this. Garth does a lot of our kind of user experience stuff that he thinks through. Do we have a solution rolled out anywhere yet?
Speaker 21: So for the channel settings, you can use a QR code right to go back and forth between the different settings and keep the channels in place. You can go to hand bention and not use the event specific firmware and flash the device with the QR code.
Speaker 8: It won't add every one of the settings.
Speaker 21: In that case, but the QR codes are meant to be the sort of easy for general people to use to move around, and one of the things that just Fantastic in general wants to get better at is moving around between the presets. So we have twelve different presets whatever the number is, I don't know if that's totally right, the reasonable amount of presets and most of the traffic because people kind of want to be able to communicate with the big.
Speaker 8: Public networking areas where they're at.
Speaker 21: On the default channel, we have like ninety nine percent of the people on long fast on slot twenty in the US. That comes out to nine of zero six or whatever it is as far as the frequency and so moving around to presets that work better for the terrain for the you know, a metal building in Ohio with hundreds of people packed into it is a use case where the distance really doesn't matter. Laura stands for long range, but it's kind of irrelevant, right. You can use the walkie talking in there, and so we're using a much faster preset to be able to just handle all the activity all at once, and so getting better as a community and with all the different community groups that moving around.
Speaker 8: For different use cases. It is one of the things that we really want to work on over probably the.
Speaker 21: Next year or so, rather than just creating a brand new version of bench Tastic that kind of turns off all of the old but rather using all the stuff that we do have and moving people to different places for different use cases. Right, So, if you're out and you're hiking and the distance is super important, long fast works great for that. If you want to be able to communicate with other nearby nodes, it's great for that. If you're really worried about, you know, having a small encrypted group and you want faster communications and things, there's presets available for those things as well. The long Moderate preset is really good if you want a little extra distance. It goes really slow in many cases, so you kind of watch the text messages go out and come back. So one of the things, just as a project that we want to get better at is getting people to use the different presets and.
Speaker 9: Except for very long slow, don't use that one's gone.
Speaker 2: We did finally kill it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, very long slow, that's uh. It's it's probably like one hundred and sixty meters band. It just takes too much effort, right, Well.
Speaker 9: No, most people's hardware couldn't support it. Actually, you had to have a really really tight temperature control oscillator to even be able to sit and receive on it, and so many devices didn't have the tolerances tight enough to do it. And so you know, people will go, oh, mine goes to eleven, let's go to the longest, and of course that's what we all do. I want to see how far I can get this thing to go, and the performance would just be terrible on about half the devices out there.
Speaker 20: So now that I have a better cell phone signal, my question, perhaps maybe I didn't hear the answer, how does the AVENE.
Speaker 7: Firmware and deal with businesses?
Speaker 20: So perhaps miles twenty miles away from the event, persuming the antenna's in a very tall location, I.
Speaker 9: Would anticipate that that would work if you've actually got line of sight right.
Speaker 12: Too.
Speaker 9: If yeah, that that's that is kind of a long shot for the short turbo but again, line of sight, Laura is just amazing. Yeah, honestly, you can do you can do a repeater. You can do a repeater over the internet. You know there there are ways to make that work. But if you've got it up high enough and then you can actually see it, I bet we'll go through.
Speaker 20: Well, and is to hopefully link some people up from the Cincinnati area for a few minutes at a time into day, just to see how well the message behaves.
Speaker 1: You're gonna jump with one, Carlos.
Speaker 20: I've been jumping with love for you know, about a year, and I will have mentioned last year.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so you're the You're the reason why the network clogged.
Speaker 7: To do this because I didn't question go ahead joining the I was joining the show.
Speaker 1: Hold on right, Carlos, your internet is still kind of in and out, buddy. We're trying to listen to you, all right, go ahead, Rob.
Speaker 11: So, as Jason had mentioned, we had really good luck at Hamcash. We used short fast, we limited the hops. One other thing that we did set and I'm curious, I see you guys did not set that, and you know we didn't know for sure. We just went based on the description was changing the rebroadcast mode. We set that the local only. It's too curious.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if everybody sets it to local only, you might have a problem. But if let me put it this way. Up, I'm trying to remember exactly what we said, but like, if you have five nodes on your person, you should set for them to not rebroadcast that way, you're not just a walking echoed chamber as you walk around.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I never thought about that.
Speaker 10: Okay, Yeah, we were torn on this when we were talking about the event firm We're in the first place for Dayton, like defaulting to client mute, where that's not the case. Then if everyone's not aware of those distinctions, then you don't have a mesh anymore.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay it And admittedly, the titles on those different rebroadcast modes are suboptimal, and you kind of have to go digging around to the documentation to figure out what they do, and in some unfortunate cases you have to go digging around in the firmware to understand what they do. I say that the documentation is actually really great, We've got some really good people working on it, but the names in particular are not stellar.
Speaker 1: In some cases, that makes sense. Okay, cool, but.
Speaker 11: Yeah it worked great at hand casions still, just tuning a few things made a world of difference.
Speaker 1: I got to figure out if I can back up my I might leave my pocket node on the default because sure enough someone's going to be there with the default setting on a mestastic node. Oh absolutely, But but I might try my uh my whatever that t de whatever the Spec five version of the t deck is is the one I've got with its own with the new UI and whatnot. It's self contained, it's got its own keyboard. The ranger, the Ranger. Yeah, that's the Yeah, the Ranger. So I might I might flash that one with the him mention firm where and kind of see where that goes from there?
Speaker 7: But when we see this is going to give us any better? Might answer me better?
Speaker 1: A little bit a little bit better?
Speaker 20: Yeah, all right, So let me just cut to the chase and go where should I go to ask the questions that I have before Ham mentioned, so that I can ask them and have an appropriate deployment.
Speaker 7: For my use.
Speaker 9: I would say, jump on discord. No, jump on the jump on the mestastic discord. Ask there and there's you know, there's a bunch of people that that will have an idea, And honestly, part of the answer is going to be we're not one hundred percent sure, make sure and let us know how it works.
Speaker 1: One's ever ever, No one's ever put a fourteen thousand foot in ten on one of these carlos.
Speaker 7: So I have, well the thing they might have.
Speaker 20: I've joined them in Chicago Mesh from Rochelle and then repeated packets into the Quad Cities Iowa Mesh and there were people talking on it and saying, hey, is that is that an airplane that's rebroadcasting for us? And you know, while I was up they were able to go back and forth. So, but that's what's a default settings or the default firmware. I don't know how it's going to behave with the dam mentioned firmwhere. So that's that was really the we're at.
Speaker 1: There's one way to find out.
Speaker 4: I guess James can build you a yaggy antenna for your parachute rig.
Speaker 21: The local only works. So in the case Robert, where you deployed a QR code for ham Nation, the reason that local only worked is because that key local only means we don't rebroadcast stuff if we can't decode it. Right, So your note had the key, so it was re broadcasting things and so that's basically what that is that is doing. So if you pre shared a QR code and everybody was using the same key, then that works.
Speaker 8: That works great if you're.
Speaker 21: Trying to provide if you're trying to provide infrastructure for other people like who are using their own key private groups, they would not be taking any advantage of the other nodes that are nearby.
Speaker 8: So that's where that would would be an issue potentially. But in an event.
Speaker 21: Case, that probably is a setting that it would be fine for us to put in place because if we're sharing all three channels and doing the local only, that would rebroadcast any of those three so.
Speaker 9: Except except for DMS, Except for DMS. Garth would kill DMS with local only. I think so, because you can't that's the whole point. Man, people in the middle kimp direct them. I honestly, I would have to go into the firmwhare and look at exactly how it handles that. But my suspicion is that local only would not for DMS possible.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, we didn't seem to have any trouble with DMS, but maybe there was enough people that were not configured in that way that maybe it was carrying it.
Speaker 21: I don't know, but that's possible.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Now would that would that reserve some bandwidth if you did turn that on as well? Again, just thinking of a really big, really big of.
Speaker 9: That, I think I think the way that probably it would reserve potentially a little bit, but probably the best guidance is, again, if you've got more than one node, or you know multiple people going to be together, give more than one node together in the party, turn most of them onto client mute. That way, they don't rebroadcast anything, because every every rebroadcast is airtime, right and even if even if a remote node can't pull down the entire message, it may still see, hey there's a preamble there. I'm going to shut up and listen for a minute. And so every rebroadcast kind of from that shared airtime. So anything you can do, and that's that's essentially what the what the special firm where is it is?
Speaker 5: What everything?
Speaker 9: What can we do to figure out how to get off of that shared airtime? How can we shut up as much as possible with each individual node that way, there's plenty of plenty of bandwidth for everybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 20: Cool.
Speaker 1: Good. Do we have a link for the mestastic discord.
Speaker 5: We can get you one.
Speaker 1: I don't think that. I'm not sure if I'm a member of.
Speaker 10: That or not on at dot word take the discord logo.
Speaker 1: Why would I have not a choin. So we've got a DFW dis discord for meshtastic and an and I'm a member of the Austin Meshtastic group. But that's not you, guys, that's.
Speaker 11: I've got a North Texas one as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, North Texas and Austin. I'm I'm a member of both of those, but I'm not seeing that. Okay, I'll go try to find that. Frank, do you want to go to try to find that? Go to mestastic dot org and see if you can find a link to discord on there somewhere. Thank you, yep, yep, Okay, guys, thank you very much, all three of you. Thank you very much for being here. Absolutely appreciate that. Oh, Garth put it in the chat, Frank, just share that in the in the chat of the uh Garth put it in the zoom chat. Share it in the in the in the live stream chat if you would please.
Speaker 14: He said that as soon as I got it, there you.
Speaker 1: Go, or Robert Okay, Robert just shared it. There you go. Cool, all right. I wanted, uh, guys, thank you for being here. I want to try to give everyone as much time as we can here, so I'm not trying to rush anybody. If anyone has any questions, comments, or anything else about what something you want to say, please feel free. There's not We were very shoot from the hip around here. So James joined us, and I asked him to join us from Quirky QRP because he's doing a uh in lieu of the fact that Josh and Jason are not doing their what'd you call it? What do you call it?
Speaker 2: Uh? There there.
Speaker 5: Hunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're not doing that this year. So James has set up something new that he told me about earlier today. So go ahead, man, thanks for being here.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it's a little thanks for having me. It's a little impromptu. I was really hoping those guys were going to do that again because it was really cool when I think the first year they did it was twenty twenty three, which was my first year at him. Mention, So that was great. So what I'm doing is a little bit of a fox hunt. I'm gonna have a five miliwatts c W beacon on the one point twenty five meter band, so anyone can find the frequency and try to track it down, and uh, whoever tracks it down and then and then hunts.
Speaker 12: Me down, we'll get a prize.
Speaker 22: I'll have a few prizes in my backpack that I'm hauling with me, and if things go quickly, i might start giving a you know, taking down some names and call signs and giving away some T shirts I've run out of prizes on hand. And then of course I'll have, you know, a backpack full of stickers that I'll be handing out to the winners and anyone who can. If I'm still doing it after all the prices are gone, I'll be hanging out stickers. If things go slowly and people are having trouble finding it, which they might, I have a fallback position for like halfway through Saturday if if if people are not finding it Friday or Saturday, I'm gonna be monitoring some quirky non ham frequencies and if you can find me on unsaid frequency or frequencies as I will be hopping around and make contact with me, you win and get a price. But still gotta hunt me down in person at the show, okay, and there are many ways to hunt me down, I will say, but that's up to you.
Speaker 1: Just he's been known to be at the at the campsite before, so I'll just put that out there too.
Speaker 19: Just stick that thing on a just stick that thing on a scooter and yeah, fox, hunt Fox.
Speaker 23: That would be hysterical. Oh, just like get a magnet. And just as somebody's driving.
Speaker 19: By, I was right here, he was right here.
Speaker 18: O god, oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: All right, So I think what James is saying is he's gonna be on mers and uh, probably using some salty language because who cares. So you guys bring your Merge radios, not just Merves, not just mers. Uh, it'll be a Carloss's pack, Jody says, it'll be a Carloss's pack. That's good. I like that.
Speaker 4: Is that the one that falls out of the airplane.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, it's gonna land on some guy's house. Yeah, it's gonna land on some guy's house somewhere. So cool, Thanks man, thanks for thanks for yeah no, go ahead, go ahead, yes, sorry.
Speaker 22: Yeah, the beacon frequency is going to probably change every time someone finds it and surprised. That way, people aren't trying to cheat the system. Yeah, and groups, if if people are working together as a then it's just one price for that group. Okay, if you show up in a group, you're getting getting one price for tracking down the fox.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm starting Friday.
Speaker 14: So where do frequency as you're listening.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, you gotta see you gotta scan through the frequently through the band. It's uh, it's gonna be somewhere between two two two and two two five. For those of you who don't know the two hundred and twenty mega Hurts band, it'll be between two to two two. It's only three mega Hurts band with so somewhere there shouldn't be too hard.
Speaker 12: And it's a CW signal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's probably at the bottom of the band.
Speaker 12: And it's only gonna be five millions.
Speaker 5: Five mili.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a twenty band, so that'll that'll probably go pretty far on the two twenty bands.
Speaker 14: Don't much at hand bench.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, you're gonna have to get your ten awayers out.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, Kyle, can you record a pre recorded UH the frequency is in use message for me.
Speaker 19: Please, I will, I will do it for a fee.
Speaker 15: Anything is available for a fee for.
Speaker 4: Free professional services.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We had talked about using the two hundred and twenty megahertz frequency as our YouTubers meet us here frequency. We've in the past, we've used one forty six four five and we use that at ham Kash, and we used it last year at Huntsville, and we used it at ham Vention last year. But there were a couple of guys talking on fusion on that frequency on at ham Vention last year, and there's just a lot more people on the air, so some of us are going to be monitoring two two three dot five hundreds. So if you have a two twenty ht bring it with you and UH National FM simplex calling frequency for two twenties two two three dot five, you might find some people. There might be some people on it, and if so, we might we might move off to like five five two two three dot five five zero or something like that. But if you're gonna find anywhere, if you're gonna find people on the two twenty simplex frequency, ham Vision would be the place that you found them, so because there'll be a lot of people in the air that weekend. But yeah, if you guys have a two twenty HT, bring it with you because we're gonna be doing some of that. So James, thank you very much for being here tonight. Buddy.
Speaker 4: The Quansha, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Uh, there's there's a quan Chang that does the the new. The the bf F eight hp pro from Balfang Tech does the uh that new walks on k Q or Q ten h or whatever it is that it's a it's a quad band, but it has two twenty. I'm gonna be carrying my D seventy five because I'm fancy.
Speaker 23: So you can open up a lot of baufangs. You can sur yeah, yeah, and you go I forget what the said. I did a video about it, but you can. You can basically change the frequencies. It's different than unlocking it to transmit like outside of the bands, but you just you just open up in chirp and for a lot of the bout fangs it works. So if you don't have a two twenty radio, but you have a bow fang, you can probably get it to work on too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know how much power it puts out.
Speaker 6: It didn't even register on my meter.
Speaker 23: But for around you know, just for around Dayton. I mean, hell, if it's putting out you know a couple of milliwats, you should probably Yeah.
Speaker 22: So has anyone on lock to uh one on the TK eleven yet?
Speaker 12: Anyone heard anything about that?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't have one of those.
Speaker 18: I get my hands on one yet, it's the.
Speaker 12: I got one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. So uh, anybody okay? So anybody else in the chat?
Speaker 13: Is it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Freddie Mac? I think maybe this is you? Is anyone? Is this your first time at Dayton this year?
Speaker 5: Actually?
Speaker 18: I got to go last year, remember, uh did you?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: Got me?
Speaker 18: That got me that RV spot?
Speaker 1: Oh right, right, right right, that's right. That was your first time.
Speaker 18: That was my first?
Speaker 1: Okay? Good? Is anybody in the okay? Is anybody in the zoom? Is this going to be your first year at Dayton? Josh?
Speaker 18: Here's your first year, first trip, Paul, it's.
Speaker 1: Your first yep? Okay, Paul, Dave Josh. Mike raised his hand, but I know he's lying. Uh yeah, oh yeah, well yeah, that's the v X eight right v X eight or the VX six the yaser. You're muted, Mike, I can't hear you. I probably shouldn't tell you that v X seven are. Oh that's the seven. That's that's the good one. Yeah, I like my VX six are. I tell you what it's and if you unlock the VA if you mars mod it does add the six meter band to it.
Speaker 5: So yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It's not Dave's not as.
Speaker 5: Good as this one.
Speaker 23: I don't know why they discontinued this and kept the set in the six that.
Speaker 1: Makes I'm not sure. Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that. Yeah, that's right. So cool. Okay, So Dave, you're in gonna be at a booth. Josh, you're gonna be walking around recording videos. I assume you don't have a booth, do you No, I'll be walking around, Paul, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: It best to go without a plan.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, there's a slight plan. And it's Friday. Do the things that I want to see and do so that I get so I make sure I see and do those Saturday other stuff. But this meshtastic thing is good. I'm hoping to get my mesh tastic things set up right, and I think between everybody there, I I'll be able to do so.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's my first time. I'm excited.
Speaker 11: I'm I'm gonna my stream later.
Speaker 24: I'm going to go through things and figure out what to do and kind of plan it so that I don't miss the things I want to do.
Speaker 19: Your mind is about ready to be blown.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 24: By planning, I mean like if there's like I want to do the AU hands on, I want to go see the ft X hands on.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he's going to be over there for that.
Speaker 24: Yeah, So stuff like that, or if there's a if there's a class or you know whatever, I want to make sure I go see it.
Speaker 14: I just show up and go where the winds take me because it's huge.
Speaker 15: That's a lot of wins. Frank so, well, I create a lot. So I'm actually I take that bat Kyle was a good producer.
Speaker 14: More.
Speaker 4: I'm excited to meet a bunch of guys too.
Speaker 24: There's there's guys here in this group and other groups and and and people on that are in the chat there that are going to be there. So it's going to be fun to meet a lot more people.
Speaker 1: So our meetup spot is going to be I have a camp site, the same campsite I've had for the last three Let's see, this will be the third year. This would be the third year I've had this campsite, I think, no, fourth year. This would be the fourth year I've had it. If you if you don't know, if you know anything about if you don't know, this may not make sense to you. I don't know how to. Maybe I can with three words it once I get there is talking about that last weekend on the live stream. But if you come out of the the building where gigaparts and yes you are, which is the building? Is that building? Three events?
Speaker 6: Okay, that's the same building I'm in.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Yeah, there is a map, but I just I'm not looking at the map. I don't remember the names. So if you come out of the back of that building, so the front, the front, the front door to all the buildings is in the little vestibule area where the where the food trucks are and whatnot. So if you come out of the back of that building between gigaparts and YESU or closer to the gigapart side which they're in the back. They're pretty much in the corner. They're not the last thing in the corner, but they're almost you come out and you look towards the back of the venue, you'll see a big antenna tower with a yaggy on it back there, and I guess that's the the I don't know which ham radio shack that is, but it's a ham shack, and that's a building that they have a lot of times. They have some forums in that building. So if you if you look at that and go to the left, we're the second row of r vs back there. And if you just kind of start walking back there again on the frequency two two three five or one four five, and once you get close enough, if we're there, you're gonna hear us. I mean, we're not gonna be real quiet or anything. Yeah, we're gonna try to get Carlos to land in the RV spot at some point in time, but we'll probably get kicked out after we get.
Speaker 7: We're supposed to keep that quiet.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Oh yeah, right right, you got some emergency.
Speaker 25: I was going to say, if they're not going to allow drones, boy, if the.
Speaker 1: Cars, but that's gonna be our spot and We'll be there off and on during the day. It's just kind of like a chill out. I'm tired of walking. Let's sit down for a little bit. Spot out there. So everybody's welcome. Bring a chair if you're driving to him, Benson, bring a chair or two or three. We will have chairs, but we won't have enough chairs for everybody, so bring your own chair. I have a follow up on that note. Okay, Frank, go ahead.
Speaker 14: If you bring your chair, we appreciate you. Also leave with your chair.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. Yeah, yeah, take it with you. We don't want a bunch of extra chairs to take home.
Speaker 19: So hey, Jason, I got the map up. If you want to make the big screen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, hold on, can you share? I don't think I turned that on, so I'll turn that on, and Kyle is I don't Oh, oh there it is, okay, it says Jason is talking on.
Speaker 15: All right, so I'm gonna talk. So I'm on the big screen.
Speaker 19: So you got the three buildings, the three big buildings, and then you got the track, right, So that's the big So the Giga Parts booth is in this building. So if you come out of this building and walk across Sugar Creek Street. There's two big lots here where the RVs said, if you come down to the second lot down here, kind of kind of in the middle, a little.
Speaker 1: Bit on the other side of the road from there.
Speaker 19: Yeah, so a little probably sixty sixty percent into that into that second lot.
Speaker 15: It's right there, right where my cursor is.
Speaker 1: It's actually across the road from where your cursor is.
Speaker 14: I thought, I thought, no, no, where, we're on the second the second street, but on the left side.
Speaker 19: Oh, you're right here, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're on the left side. That's correct.
Speaker 15: Yeah, right here.
Speaker 1: So that little street that looks like it's up above you right there, it's it's just kind of a walking path and some people, yeah, it's not really a road there, so yeah, yeah, so it's like right exactly, it's right there. Yep, that's it. That's where it's at.
Speaker 14: Also, to point out, if you zoom out, Kyle, the swap met area is going to be the whole horse track that green field just to the northwest of it, that area there, and also they said behind the buildings this year and more in between, it's like gonna be swamped with swap meets area.
Speaker 1: It's expanded quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 19: So it's down here, right, So that's one area. The second area is the bigger area is here. But you're saying, and there's also some swap meat like ad here too.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but also behind I think building one, two and three back here. No no, no, scroll out behind gigaparts and the flex buildings.
Speaker 6: Me really, yeah, that's that's correct. That used to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: They're gonna so where the vendor is gonna.
Speaker 6: Park someplace else exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my goodness. I didn't realize that they were putting Uh, I didn't realize they were putting swaps back there.
Speaker 11: You know, I gonna put them in that area where they put like the emergency vehicles and stuff, because that never gets filled.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, uh huh hhmm.
Speaker 19: Well to U three or four years ago, there were like some big tents and they had actual vendors.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes they did. And that's one of the years that it rained and uh some people got muddy. So yeah, but yeah, that that is true.
Speaker 19: Interesting, Okay, rain and get it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whoever hear the same thing.
Speaker 19: Goodness you're talking about.
Speaker 24: I have one question Jason, all right, how much cash should I bring to not go overboard?
Speaker 1: That's that's that's totally up to you, man, That's totally up to you. I mean, there are at ms there, so you know you can you can get yourself in trouble, even the cash early in the morning. That is true. Yeah, that is true, very true.
Speaker 4: I guess my question is, Paul, is how much can you take back with you?
Speaker 18: Yeah, because you find twelve things you can't live without.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I'm flying, so I'm not worried about being going too crazy ship them home. But I heard that I can have Jason bring it home and then Frank's just gonna stay in Dayton.
Speaker 19: I'm flying back.
Speaker 1: I think that Paul. I somehow I kind of feel like you might have an end somewhere to get stuff checked on a flight. I think that might be a little bit easier for you then most people. I don't know. I don't know why I feel that way, but.
Speaker 24: But I'd probably do what Bill does, and that's just fedexit.
Speaker 1: We get a well there you go. Yeah, that's true. Bill's not here tonight. I thought we'd see him. He might be working, but I don't know. So Kyle, while you're up there on the screen, why don't you tell us about the troll Pub because we've got some We got a couple of different things we're doing this year, same venue. But long story short, they I don't want to I don't want to throw him under the bus, but we didn't have as good an experience there last year as what we have in the past. But I think we have that fixed.
Speaker 15: So well, we have that fixed in theory right there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So I've.
Speaker 19: Been communicating with the troll Pub people and they told me that quote, we will have two or three servers for you on Saturday nights.
Speaker 15: So let me back up.
Speaker 19: Troll Pub was something that we put together through or four years ago to get everyone together to meet the YouTubers, to just have a social hour and whatnot. And the troll Pub was very was very fitting because you know, people are trolls on the internet.
Speaker 15: Yes, so never no, never.
Speaker 19: So the first year that we did this, we rented out like half of the there's like a sidebar. We rented half the bar or half the sidebar, and then we spilled into this patio area, which is great.
Speaker 4: A couple of.
Speaker 19: Years go by, we get more and more people and then last year we kind of had an issue where people showed up like at three o'clock in the afternoon, the thing didn't start till five. We usually run a tab and people put into the tab, and that was not communicated correctly.
Speaker 15: It was a mess.
Speaker 19: So what we are doing is I went back and said, Okay, time out. We got to redo this. I talked to the Troll Pub and what we're gonna do is, instead of the sidebar that we've had in years past, we are actually roped off in the dining room for fifty to sixty people. The event starts at five pm. Don't get there beforehand. If you get there beforehand, just go to the bar and have a drink on your own dime, and then wait until myself or Jason get there or somebody that knows, you know, kind of is the coordinator of this thing. Let us get situated and then we'll bring everybody.
Speaker 1: Into the dining room.
Speaker 19: You guys can eat and drink and socialize there. We'll get the bill figured out, we'll get all of that stuff ironed out, and then once everybody is like done eating a drink, and then we can migrate up to the bar and go out to the patio and do our normal thing. So that is the thing that we wanted to communicate is the troll pub is on. We've got new things going on, but don't The problem was people showed up early and said all, I'm part of the YouTube bunch or the Hamm radio bunch, and then stuff started to fly and we had an issue. So don't go over to the bar, have a drink over there, and wait for some people to show up to give direction, and then we're all gonna set down together. We're all going to socialize and we'll figure it out from there. But it's going to start at five five pm.
Speaker 1: And to clarify with the in year's path, the first year we were there, they made us put a two hundred and fifty dollars deposit down. Now, to be fair, I gave them my credit card number. They never actually charged me two hundred and fifty dollars as a deposit. They never charged me, but they said that if you don't spend, if we're going to rope off a section for you and you don't spend two fifty, you're gonna have to pay this two hundred and fifty dollars deposit. And we're like, okay, that's fine, we'll probably it was not an issue, trust me. So when we got there that year and the following years, I just went ahead and said, look, you guys already have my credit card. I will just cover the first two hundred and fifty dollars and then let me know when when all these people that are here in our section, when the total bill gets to two fifty, let me know and we'll cut it off. And I did that and someone Josh came in behind me, Mike came behind him, two or three or four other people came in behind there. But that that was totally voluntary. That's not we don't want to We don't want and I'll probably do that again this year, but I can't speak for anybody else. So it's it's totally don't expect to have your bill paid for, is what I'm trying to say. We were We like to cover as much as we can because you guys are great to us on the YouTube community, but that is totally there's no there shouldn't be any expectation. And somebody last year was like, well, I thought the YouTuber's paid for all this, and well, no, that's not really how it worked the first few years. It's just that some people myself and five six seven other people and a lot of you guys, a lot of you watchers. I know, I know last year there was at least two or three guys who were just channel viewers, not even YouTubers, and they were just there for us because they watch all of us and they're like, oh, pick up the next two hundred dollars or one hundred and fifty dollars or something. So it was very generous of the community that was there. But just don't expect that unless unless you get there and ask what the deal is, and if they say, well there's nobody paying right now, than just expect to pay for yourself.
Speaker 19: But yeah, so that's the that's the thing on on Saturday night. So Saturday night, right, yep, yea And yeah.
Speaker 20: Hey, Kyle, Yes, thank you for organizing all this, man, I know this cannot be easy.
Speaker 7: It's got to take time to thank you for handling all this.
Speaker 15: Well, you're welcome.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and whatever it burns down like it did last year, everyone can sent their.
Speaker 4: Dot com yeah, and you might make it into a future episode of Monday.
Speaker 1: Kyle has done a lot of leg work to get this because that because we were we were basically determined to drop troll Pub and go somewhere else last year, and I guess Kyle got with him and and kind of ironed everything out. So they're on.
Speaker 19: Yeah, they're on a pipe time.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and this is why Kyle is the project manager.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Nobody. People who don't work in the IT world don't understand that. But I got that. I totally got. Not that I've ever been on a PIP myself, but you know, it's a it's all good. So I thank your regulator, Thank you Kyle for doing that. Charlie. I see, I see Charlie join, and I see Vince join. I want to hear from you guys. And I know there's two or three. I think I've let everyone talk. Josh, you haven't said much. Let me think, let me scan through here. So yeah, let's get Vince. Let's get you. I'm gonna give you the floor, buddy. What's going on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 6: Hey, good after evening noon, better late than never, Mother's Day supper. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's going to be so great to see all of you guys down at Xenia this year and at the Troll Pub I am so excited. Oh oh, I forgot my prop and I am ready with stickers.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm smarter.
Speaker 6: Okay, we are ready with stickers. And what a stupid sticker? I know, buddy, if you're coming into Booth thirty eleven, you're going to be wearing one. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's going on.
Speaker 6: So I'm I'm super stoked to be there.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: You'll find me down there in the Ham Radio work Bench booth most of the time, with Booth thirty eleven thirty twelve. That's in the rear corner of the building three Marconi Building, same building as Gigaparts and and and yeah, Sue, that's the word I was looking for. And a whole bunch of other really nice people. So that's cool. Friday at noon I'll be in Creator's Corner just for an hour doing a meet and greet. That's Booth forty two eleven. Thanks to Ham Radio dude for setting that up. And Sunday and Sunday morning, Kyle, have you talked about trivia yet?
Speaker 15: I have not.
Speaker 6: You're so why didn't I talk announce it? I'm here so listen Sunday morning, we are going to do a ham bentioned first thanks to the brilliant minds of Chris ris Miller who's the Forums chair, Kyle Craig, and some turkey from Canada who doesn't have a brilliant mind but he's helping out, and we are going to do Cahoots trivia live and in person. There will be prizes, and some of the prizes are very nice.
Speaker 1: Evan's asking if there'll be a Unicorn mask. I think that's what most people want to know. Would the Unicorn mask making a power.
Speaker 19: Well, I don't know. We might do a whole round on Unicorn.
Speaker 6: So well, we'll see what we can do about the unicorn masks. So yeah, indeed, So that's happening Sunday. And then if you're really bored and you're really tired and you need something to help put you asleep, just stay in Forum Room one because at ten thirty I am presenting. So they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel to ask me to present, and I said, yes, So here we are, and I'm going to talk about not spending money and a unique approach to how to design and build your own go kit up before you pick up the credit card or fork over some cash so they can have a candy store.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have a translator to translate a boot in all those other words.
Speaker 6: You know my name, my name, My name is not Stuart Crawford v nine CF. Stuart is a dear friend of mine, and he does say a boot, I know, I say it about so there won't be many Canadian translations.
Speaker 1: There's a slight there's a slight hint in your accent, Vince, but it's not bad at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, Well that's that's what I get for growing up in southern Ontario, you know, near Buffalo. Right, So that's right, That's that's what it is. So hey, that's that's what's going on. Man, I'm I'm super stoked. Oh yeah, and you'll find me a Vendor Night at four Days in May on Thursday night as well. I have a table there. So it's got some three D printable stuffs and other things you never know.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, so what's going on?
Speaker 1: Several people in here are We've got I think we've got almost half of the crew at four Day in May, Four Days in May, Vendor Night.
Speaker 6: On this live stream now I think, I think so for sure.
Speaker 1: That's great. We'll walk around and send invites for him Venture twenty twenty six when I'm there next week, say hey, come on to the show next time. We'll get you everybody on. Yeah, So thank you, Benns, thanks.
Speaker 6: For joining, Chason, thanks for hosting us as always.
Speaker 1: My bet, Yeah, no problem. Charlie, what's going on, buddy, I haven't heard from you in a long time.
Speaker 26: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Yeah, Hey, everybody, it's so good to be here and to see all my good friends.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 17: I'm really excited about going back again to have mention. I'm gonna be staying with Adam and Ara, this time in an Airbnb. I'm flying out Tuesday and Adam and I are going to spend all day Wednesday in the Air Force Museum. So well, yeah, we didn't get I didn't get a chance to do that yet. So that's what we're doing, and then Thursday we'll do the four days in May. I'm going to help out with that a little bit behind the scenes. I'm kind of I've kind of helped a little bit, yeah last year, and we'll do again this year. Then then the Vendor Night and then you know, Friday, I got a presentation I'm given on my adventures up in the Novajo Nation with my good friend Herb who's a Navajo code talker. So I'll be talking about that.
Speaker 1: I'll be fun.
Speaker 17: That's gonna be a noon on Friday. Yeah, Keith Schlautmann K R seven r K and I are are tag teaming, so he's gonna be covering a different topic. But it's it's the Soda presentation, so so we'll be doing that and then you know, I'm just gonna enjoy I'm going to go and try to meet as many folks as I can and just say hi and hang out and just have fun. I haven't really got a lot of plans as far as anything other than that. I'm not I don't have a booth, I don't have you know, vendor night stuff going on. I might capture a little video, as you know, some of you may not know, but I've I've kind of taken a break from YouTube and social media and all that just kind of I kind of had enough for a while and then but I've kind of been low key. But I'm going to be picking that up again in the fall, and I might I might hit a video or two before then, but I've just been enjoying the time off. We've had a lot of new arrivals in our family, and I've just been kind of focusing on some of my health things. I've lost fifty five pounds and.
Speaker 1: So just wow, wow, it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I can see it here, buddy, I can see it here.
Speaker 15: It's just been focusing on other things.
Speaker 17: But you know, I love the channel, and I love the YouTubers and I love all ham radio stuff. So I'll be back, just just taking enjoying the break for a bit.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 14: Sometimes we need those breaks, man.
Speaker 6: Thank you right here. You can see it, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, it looks like, yeah, it looks like your headset is bigger. I thought it was, but maybe your face.
Speaker 27: Is bigger cans I thought, yeah, yeah, wells right here, Yeah, yeah, thanks for being here, Charlie.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're able to join, man.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yep. Uh. So there's a guy in the chat named two hundred and fifty pounds of yeas you, and I've really liked to know the story behind that.
Speaker 5: I met him at Huntsville last year.
Speaker 1: Really Okay, he's.
Speaker 5: Got a channel.
Speaker 25: He's got some cool stuff on there.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 5: Great guy, great guy, he's.
Speaker 1: All fun good yeah, cool.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Uh well Josh, you haven't had a chance to talk tonight, won't you go ahead?
Speaker 25: Well, this is the first trip to Dayton. Yeah, so we're excited about that. I'll be leaving out whenever I wake up on Thursday morning. If I'm not going to work, that's whenever I want to, but probably probably eight or nine o'clock. I'm an Eastern time, so that'll put me getting up there probably about three o'clock. Got to stop by the fair grounds, pick up my uh credential and then, uh, I've got one thing I've got on my plan for Thursday night. And it's probably going to be controversial among you guys, but I gotta try skyline chili.
Speaker 1: I have heard.
Speaker 4: You do not need to.
Speaker 7: Go there yourself, are you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Kissed the other Josh took us there was that two years ago, two years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I've had it. I can say I've had it. Good luck to you, that's all I gotta say.
Speaker 4: The chili dogs. The chili dog is okay. Enjoy your chili is not that great.
Speaker 14: Joyer spaghetti with water.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the hot dog.
Speaker 19: Wasn't even that great.
Speaker 1: No, no, I didn't.
Speaker 7: There's nothing good there.
Speaker 17: The best thing on the menu is mid.
Speaker 25: Is there anybody in here that's this place?
Speaker 23: If you want a good chili dog, you're gonna need to drive a few more hours north and get into Michigan.
Speaker 14: And the chat it's good.
Speaker 23: Listen, I've lived in Ohio twice times. There's nothing good about the state of Ohio.
Speaker 2: In the chat.
Speaker 4: Doesn't know what he's talking about.
Speaker 25: Well, some of some of you do know that I do work for the University of Tennessee.
Speaker 5: So go Valls.
Speaker 25: There is nothing good about Ohio after the college football playoff this year.
Speaker 5: If you as mate, there you go.
Speaker 25: But I hear you guys talking about four Days in May. I've not heard of that. I might be interested in checking that out, So you gotta go.
Speaker 5: You gotta know.
Speaker 15: It's great.
Speaker 20: It's it's a lot of fun, so absolutely absolutely worth your Thursday and the entrance street cool.
Speaker 1: Who can explain what that is probably better than I can.
Speaker 15: Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, Charlie.
Speaker 17: Okay, So four Days in May is a conference that's held in conjunction with him. The ham Fest it say conference hosted by the Amateur Radio Club Internet, the q RP Amateur Radio Club International. It's a group of qrpers. And what's special about that is is there like some of the most smartest and uh well educated people out there. They're the ones who design and build the radios. Last year, for example, uh, on Thursday, it's it's a seminar, uh is the first part of it.
Speaker 15: It's eight hours.
Speaker 17: Last year we had the designer of the Allocraft K one and all the other craft products. He was there and gave a talk. And so it's it's people who are interested in q RP radios and in designing and building their own radios, either through kids or sometimes just you know, homebrew. And so some of the best minds are there to share their knowledge and and all of us go along and just just enjoy that. And then vendor Knight after that is is some of the people like like Jonathan here, who you know, he created his own his own radio and and uh, you know, I don't know whether he's going to be at vendor Night or not, but people who developed their own products will be at vendor Knight selling them and the things that you can't usually buy them other places, or if you can, it's uh, you know, you have to pay for shiping and stuff like that. They'll be here, like, yeah, Hans Summers is always there. He'll have he'll have the k X, the km X or the.
Speaker 1: QCX q QX QX and all of his his Yeah, go ahead, I'll have to I'll have to get another kit from him that I don't build and haveing my shelf here at home. So that's generally for the last three years, that's what I've done. I buy a kid, I take it home. I've still got it right here. So but yeah, great, great, Yeah, no shipping and no overseas shipping from wherever he wherever he's shipping from.
Speaker 17: So right, So it's a seminar and then that, and then there's a break, and then there's a there's a vendor night. Then the following day you know, it's it's the Hamvention. So they you know, that Friday you do that. But then that Friday night they have a club night and a challenge where you know, you can enter in the contest to see who this year it's the it's the it's a you have a micro chip and you and you get to see how long how much power you can put through it. The person who can put through the most power through it without burning up the chip will win the competition. And then the following you know, on Saturday, there's a actual a a big dinner, a banquet, and there's a lot of recognition. There's usually somebody who is nominated to the q RP Hall of Fame who's recognized then at that at that banquet, as well as a lot of prizes are given out, So it's good. It's really a good things and it just kind of fills in where you know, it doesn't interfere with the hamvention, it just supplements it.
Speaker 1: So it's really great.
Speaker 4: Hey, Charlie, I got a question you might be able to answer, what is the definitive answer from the q RP International Group on what exactly is QRP as far as power ratings, because you'll see people running around there at dating with fifteen minus one.
Speaker 1: Fifteen hundred minus one is yeah fifteen yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 17: I don't think we have a definitive answer. I think there's a there's a recommendation that for Morris code it's you know five ten, and then for for a sideband ten to twenty. So, but you know it's it's in that range.
Speaker 1: But if you look at the Q signals, if you look at the Q signals, all of them, Okay, you read the definition of all the Q signals, QRP means are you running low power or decrease power. There's not actually a number ever assigned to it. A lot of people will tell you, oh, if it's over ten wats, it's not QRP. Well that's that's you're you're looking at it from a contest standpoint, because a lot of contests will say, if you're doing QRP, you need to use ten wats or less. Okay, fine, but there's not really to the traditional qr code. There's not actually a number put to it. So I'm a subscriber to fifteen hundred minus one equals QRP. That's that's my thought. But people would say what they want to.
Speaker 13: I guess it depends from person to person. Yes, Utosa, five watts is what I've heard, but I define it as any single digit number of watts. Is is a QRP single digit?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I can go that way.
Speaker 13: Anything up to ten watts, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 17: We don't need to we don't need it to be exact. It's just because half the time anyway, you don't know. You say you're running five wats and you could be running two anyway.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just yeah, that's true.
Speaker 13: And also you might be running equipment that you homebrewed in which you might not even know exactly how much power you're running in the first place.
Speaker 19: Jonathan, I think that's a T shirt single single digit q RP single.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like this one right here, Jonathan put in in our zoom chat. Additionally, QRP can refer to questionable research practices. Well played, Google, AI.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 9: I also want to point out that with our thirty milliwatts of transmit power, I think mestastic wins that competition.
Speaker 1: I think mestic would be considered q r P. I'm good with that. Yeah, there is a QRP CLA. Yeah, well QRP pp Okay, good cool, okay, Well, thank you for that definition, Charlie. That was good. Let's see I'm looking through the list here.
Speaker 15: I got something. If you if everyone has uh has.
Speaker 1: Chatted already, I think that well I haven't. I mean, Tim's been talking a lot, but he hadn't had he hadn't had the floor, Freddie Mack hadn't had the floor, and Mike had floor.
Speaker 2: So Kyle.
Speaker 19: Well, I was gonna say, on Friday night, if you are into music and also into a little bit of comedy, you might want to head over to the Hope Hotel, probably around I don't know, eight thirty nine o'clock the Superior Missions a missions band is going to play.
Speaker 15: Sorry, I always get that. That's uh, that's word incorrect.
Speaker 19: They are going to play for the last time at the Hope Hotel. And I'll just clue you guys in. So they'll take songs that you all know and substitute Ham radio terms and Ham radio concepts into the those songs.
Speaker 15: And they are hilarious.
Speaker 1: They're the weird Al Yankovic of the Ham radio world.
Speaker 15: Yes so radio filk.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 19: So I just think that they have one song. I'm just gonna leave you with this. They have one song, you know, wild Thing, the the the song wild Thing that has turned into Bow Fine. So come out to the Whole Hotel on Friday night. You might even get some free pizza because.
Speaker 1: They still do the night. They still do the free pizza every night.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but at nine o'clock it's so late that it's oh, come on, come on, Frank, I eat dinner at five thirty, five thirty, like nine thirty comes around. I'm hungry.
Speaker 27: Yeah yeah, Frank, Frank, then we got your number, man, because at the whole hotel right before the spurious missions is a Flex radio dinner and on Friday, right.
Speaker 6: And so uh this this Friday night. The President of International Amateur Radio Union, Tim Elam is a and talking so nice. I'm looking forward to that. That's where all be Friday night. So I guess I'm sticking around for SPURRYUS emissions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Uh, Jeff has got a good comment. Be careful getting into the Whope Hotel. You don't want to go into the air Force base.
Speaker 1: So yes, yeah, I found out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, y'all can't flag pull out like you can on the border.
Speaker 1: I can. I can see Freddy Mack driving into that Air Force dudeys. He doesn't like to make turns. Yeah, yeah, you don't like to make turns when they're when they're required. Man, challenging talking while we're all going to get lost. Yeah yeah, oh that's good, all right, cool okay? So uh uh tim or Mike, do you guys have anything?
Speaker 5: I got something real quick?
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Rob, okay, go ahead, Rob.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I just wanted to mention that on Saturday, Saturday morning, the full schedule I don't think has been officially published yet. Saturday morning, for a couple of hours, I'll be at the msat Booth, so folks want to stop by and say hello, you'll be able to track me down there. And later in the afternoon I'll be hanging out with the guys over at Carlson Roof Towers. So those are a couple of places I'll be hanging out over the course of Saturday.
Speaker 1: Did you get any pictures of the ISS the other night, Rob, I did not, Okay, no, no, no, So Randy called me on Friday and I was busy so I couldn't go out and look at But apparently the ISS did a very low pass, just kind of the trajectory. However, the trajectory works at like right like nine to twenty at night, so right after sundown, and it supposedly was was going to be really easy to see because the me the sun was of the sun was bouncing off of it. So it's one of the lowest passes that it's been in the last couple of years or something like that.
Speaker 11: He said, Yeah, that's what I was going to say, like every couple of years, the orbit is such that you know the timings right, and the orbit's right and the thing looks enormous in the sky.
Speaker 1: Yes, right.
Speaker 4: Didn't do that a couple of times Friday night?
Speaker 5: Or was it?
Speaker 27: Just?
Speaker 1: As far as I know, it was just the one time, But I'm not I'm not hum sure.
Speaker 4: Because I was walking back over to the main house and I think it was after midnight. I saw a big lit up ball in the sky. I just assumed it was an airplane because that's that's that's no moon, that's no, it was moving. It was moving pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Could have been the starship Enterprise. You never know, they travel back in time a lot. So yeah, but yeah, that would yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Suppose I meant to text you, Robert and say, hey, are you gonna But I was my wife and I had We were at a birthday party for a friend that night, so I I was not at home. But yeah, I was wondering if you got that, Frank, I should have texted you too.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but I would have gone out there and sell you it. I'm looking for pictures. I didn't take any pictures of dinosaur Valley, man, I just did a bunch of vid.
Speaker 11: Did you go in and see these? See the remains?
Speaker 6: Frank?
Speaker 14: I went into the visitor center and they had replications of replicas. However, this weekends, due to all the rainway gone in Texas, the rivers and creeks were so high that it covered Oh the Donald Prince, and the majority of the Donal prints you can see and on display are in the river beds, so you could.
Speaker 1: Vic says, it's not only the whales, it's also the water. Frank got it. Yes, what was that said? So so, Mike, you would be impressed with this. So I did a quote at more Expo and Kyle got it. He was the first one to get it. Bill had one of his Bill's in the chat. Bill, you should be in the zoom right now. Buddy. Bill had one of his spiked lemonades, and I'm like, I looked at it and he was a big can, the big can. I was like, Bill, you know what that thing? You know what that thing will do to you. It'll suck the paint off your house and give your whole family a permanent orange aff ro and he looked at me weird, and Kyle said, spies like us.
Speaker 15: Of the greatest movies ever.
Speaker 1: It is one of the greatest movies.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, anybody have anything else at all? Totally open for him here, yes, okay.
Speaker 23: Go where everybody's talking about this new Yasu radio and everybody's gonna be piling in the Yaesu booth.
Speaker 5: And I'm excited to see it too.
Speaker 23: I'm also excited to keep my money in my bank account.
Speaker 5: But there's gonna be a vendor.
Speaker 23: There's going to be a vendor there that hasn't been there since twenty nineteen, a vendor who is featured prominently in all.
Speaker 5: Of my videos.
Speaker 18: Not all of my videos, but a lot of my videos.
Speaker 23: One Canna packed Canna.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, indeed, it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Georgia is actually going to have product there.
Speaker 6: George is having product.
Speaker 1: There that'll sell out in the first fifteen minutes on Friday. That's gonna be popular booth for sure.
Speaker 6: Thursday night, yeah, or Thursday night.
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: Is he going to four days? Is he going to vendor?
Speaker 6: Night Mark? So Smitty myself, George, the three of us will I'm sure we're going to be lined up in a row in the room. Okay, yeah, so he'll have he has product for the booth as well. In building three.
Speaker 1: He sent me two new Pac tenas like a month ago and uh and there he makes the winders a little bit longer now or sometimes he does, and uh and I was like, you know what, I've never actually I've never actually made a video about Packed ten. So I'm gonna do that. Oh I've used it a hundred times, I've just never made a video about it. So yeah, so I'm gonna do that at Galveston after after we've done it to date.
Speaker 6: Nice good, he was. He was shocked to learn I do not own one. That is shocked.
Speaker 1: Fast, I know, they said, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was there was a there was a New Year's Eve live stream we did three or four years ago where we actually got on his I don't know why, we were on his website of all websites, and he actually had stock in there. So literally it was like for about ten minutes and gone, and I swear I ordered one, and I so like a week or two went by now email, I'm like, George, I didn't get an order confirmation. He's like, dude, I don't see an order for you. And I'm like, well, crap, I don't. I had a little bit to drink that night, but anything, I had that much to drink that night. So he's like, I'll just send you one. So that's that's the first pack ten I ever got. But yeah, we we completely nuked his website that night. That was fun.
Speaker 6: Five of the six of us from Workbench will be in booth thirty eleven thirty twelve. That's where we're hanging out. And our Bill Curtis Paul W D nine gCO, the voice of Hamburdy work Bench, they are announcer, is going to hang out with us and a few a few friends of the group as well. So it's going to be a big party. And I heard some guy who Ham's harder all the time is going to come and hang with us too. So there we are night.
Speaker 1: George is there? Sure?
Speaker 11: Did you say thirty twelve?
Speaker 15: Did you guys kick the coffee guy out?
Speaker 6: The coffee guy blind man coffee is he is? He can't come out this year, as I understand, Cherry is under the weather.
Speaker 8: Got it?
Speaker 5: Gotcha?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 25: I did say that there is going to be a coffee vendor after though. I'm not sure who it is though, but somebody.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm bringing coffee for sale, but I'm not going to have a booth.
Speaker 14: Carlos Sagan, Is your whole twenty pounds accounted for?
Speaker 17: Yet?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 20: I think I have seven still that I again that I can still sell.
Speaker 6: I need DCAF please, I don't have any DCAFF right now? Okay, we can we can work that out later.
Speaker 4: Did you guys, guys at More, did you try to get shiz done coffee?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That guy's there every year. I didn't get any this year, but I got some last year. Was pretty good.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's usually three or four coffee vendors like that at More and they're all good. I think I think they're all good.
Speaker 14: So oh, I have a question.
Speaker 1: All right, Franks, go ahead.
Speaker 14: I am looking for a good, juicy, hand fast question to ask all of you on screen, and if the chat has a good question, I can ask y'all. Let me know. The last one was was very successful was what is the mistake you learned the most from in Amazon Radio? And I want to get the same thought provoking question. It's just I my brain's gone. Man, I need help from the the the community here.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought you were going to ask if the Smoking Ape ever paid back big Gym for the work chop sandwich two years ago.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. M h that was that one you had it? Hamcsion was good, Frank, Oh.
Speaker 14: I know, and it was amazing. And I need y'all's help to keep up the same intellectual momentum. Huh momentum.
Speaker 1: Yes, good.
Speaker 5: So I have a regret story. I'll tell Okay, all right, go don't have a.
Speaker 25: Variable voltage power supply if you have little kids.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so I.
Speaker 1: Think I can see where this is going, but go ahead, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Was smoking volved very much. So I'm so sorry.
Speaker 25: I Uh, I had a little MFJ power supply. I immediately got rid of that power supply, traded it or something like that. And uh, I'm gonna I'm I just walked in the bedroom after running ft eight and all of a sudden, I hear this squealing and I come out around this corner right here, and this whole shack, well, shack office, whatever you gonna call it, is full of smoked. My screen on my radio. I had a ya sue seven ten at the time. Actually, I'd only had it for maybe a month or two, had had screams, going nuts and everything like that. Immediately turn it off, take the thing outside. It's like burning hot and uh bad, set it down all this and uh anyway, I got fortunate. I put in a claim with Yasu and they covered it.
Speaker 1: Uh it all really nice.
Speaker 5: I shipped it off.
Speaker 6: But but you're making a live recorded confession now.
Speaker 11: There is I think that the fuse would pop on that thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you would, you would think.
Speaker 1: I think I would think.
Speaker 25: I think that's why they did cover it, just because it should have It should have killed itself.
Speaker 4: But the fuse popping. Can you guys see that there? That's my that's my z bit X and pieces.
Speaker 1: That's a brand new radio.
Speaker 6: Tim, would you do to that in pieces and fuse?
Speaker 4: No views?
Speaker 6: No, there is no fues in it.
Speaker 19: There is no how was this going to mention that too?
Speaker 17: By the way, I'm glad Tim brought that up real quick.
Speaker 15: The z b X, if you haven't.
Speaker 17: Heard, it's a all band, all mode radio that is at him mentioned probably going to be one hundred and sixty nine dollars instead of the two hundred.
Speaker 1: With shipping nice.
Speaker 15: Because he's bringing up.
Speaker 17: He'll probably be bringing him over I can't promise, but they usually do. They bring up over all their year, So he's probably gonna probably be the best place to buy it if you're gonna buy it, because.
Speaker 1: I'm planning on getting one there. I got his s bid X two years ago and I was happy with that, So I'm planning on getting this new way.
Speaker 4: I've had fun with it. Uh but but this happened literally right before I was getting ready to go film a video and start filming, Vince had stolen I mean, I mean Vince had put out a bunch of videos, but but his his roll c W.
Speaker 8: So you know.
Speaker 6: I did one for FT eight in side band.
Speaker 4: Well, you obviously didn't want to put one in there for battery.
Speaker 6: Uh no, you're right, I didn't orientation.
Speaker 4: But and actually and not knocking I do. I do want to point this out though, and this isn't knocking the company. So this is the uh play it. Well, I've changed my plate, but there's there's pluses and minuses in there, and uh, the black wire obviously is the negative side of the battery and the loops back around and comes around, goes out the pigtail. This plastic frame has also has pluses and minuses on it, and they do not line up with a wiring. And that's what I looked at when I went to just slap a battery in there really quick. Uh So, if you do have one of those, make sure you the wiring, double check the wiring. I mean, I'm I've reached out to him. We'll see how it goes. I'm not upset upset if it If it's just a swapping of the RF deck or whatever, however they want to help me, you know, or not, We'll just we'll roll with it and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, sounds good.
Speaker 18: That's pretty much how I blew up my first rack whiz block meantastic node. If the connector fits, I didn't mean the polarity is right, check.
Speaker 1: That well, if you haven't never blown something up, you're probably never real ham.
Speaker 5: Positive.
Speaker 6: And it wants to see like eight volts, Well it's to see, but six and nine volts it draws half an amp uron idle. So it's a hungry radio. But it's driving two Raspberry Pie processors and a big, nice, big touch screen. Right, So for what it is, it does a lot of good stuff. I've had a lot of fun with mine. I'm debating bringing it or not to ham mentioned because it's a hard screen to read in the outdoors, and that's the.
Speaker 5: One center center pin is positive.
Speaker 6: Center, it's center positive. Yes, So I think what Tim is describing, and I had to look up mine because I had mine in my hand a minute ago. What Tim is describing. You can see here the red and black wire on mine. In Tim's case, the red and black wire were reversed by the sound of it, which really surprises me because they're supposed to test every radio it could be they tested it with an external supply.
Speaker 4: So the in all fairness, the the pluses and minus is line up with the wiring that's on the three D printed case plate. It was what what is in side the frame itself? And based on this, I'm assuming they got frames and put the pigtails on themselves.
Speaker 6: Correct, that's part of.
Speaker 4: Their manufacturing process because there's there's there's a protective coating over the solder joints on there. So, like I said, I'm not I'm not upset about it.
Speaker 2: Well, just you seem a little upset about it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not, but.
Speaker 2: Vince's point.
Speaker 4: I mean, here's a here's a card, right with all these checks that they did, and I don't think that quality control check was on there.
Speaker 2: But I'm just.
Speaker 4: Saying, but if you do have one of those radios, make sure you double check that because there is no in line. Well, I don't know if I can get detailed enough. But the trace blew the trace off the board. There's a nice clean cut in it. So I don't know if that was by design to as its fault protection or.
Speaker 6: A friend of mine, Smitty, commented on the zibit ax and he says, there's a couple of diodes that provide reverse polarity protection, but there's no fuse. But the diodes are at the opposite end of the board from where the power plug is, and so that effectively makes the trace the fuse. You have now proven this to be true.
Speaker 4: Yes, So can this be the can this be the gray Man Poda conundrum?
Speaker 5: Could be?
Speaker 1: I like that, I like that you got to have one bunch of TIMPs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do, well, you know, and I was wondering if they had some some diodes in there to protect that but because I was looking at the schematic and I was a little confused. As a professional schematic reader, I was, I was a little confused.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, there are a couple of dietes in there for reverse polarity protection.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Jason, Yeah, I was gonna. Has Paul started yet.
Speaker 14: He's getting close or has started already, But yeah, I already dropped a link into his stream coming up once we are.
Speaker 1: I saw it. I saw him, and yeah, he dropped out, and I thought I thought he said he was going to come back, but he might be running on his own thing. Now, okay, well let's uh, let's let's start to wrap this up. I'm going to turn. Uh let's see, I'm gonna turn Uh no, I'm not what am I gonna do here?
Speaker 8: Ye?
Speaker 1: He is show show self view, and I'm gonna switch over to this screen right Yeah, I've got too many scenes in here. Here we go switch over that screen right there. So, guys, I appreciate everyone who joined us tonight, especially those of you who've not been here before. Welcome to the to the madness. And I do appreciate you guys coming on here and telling us all about the Oh great, now, K five y v y wants to join at the last minute, right as we're shutting down. That's good timing, Joe Brett. I mean, get you're you're a rock star there, buddy, what's going on?
Speaker 26: I don't know that. I turn on the YouTube and I'm like, oh, ship's Jason.
Speaker 2: Man, my bad, I'm sorry, cuse.
Speaker 1: Say at the clubhouse.
Speaker 26: But yeah, well, I mean thirty seconds, I'm like, man, all this talk y'all talking radios and stuff. It's like I thought I was talking to him, mentioning you're talking about broken new radios.
Speaker 1: Well we got we we we were going for almost two hours. Man, we talked to him mention we talked four days in May.
Speaker 27: Uh you know onlike clubhouse, Man, we talked the clubhouse, unlike the K five y V watching.
Speaker 26: I was actually using a little camera today and I made a video and wow, I'm processing.
Speaker 1: So that's great.
Speaker 2: That's how about that.
Speaker 19: I'm impressed that Joe Brett's got hair.
Speaker 14: How about that?
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, day, I got a fundraiser. See who wants to shave the head at uh day?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, that's totally.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I've been three twenty.
Speaker 1: For twenty ye.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So well, like I said, no, I'm not, I'm not, I'm I'm totally we're gonna wrap it up now that you joined us. So uh but no we uh yeah, Frank popped that link in there again. Frank, So prep Pam Paul, who was on with this earlier. He does a live stream after me on Sundays. He started that not too long ago. So y'all go check him out. Last time we shared his link, he said that was a record number of people watching him. So and I love that. I love it. I love it, and people do this, we will say, wow, we got what do we do? We got Carlos over a certain number of subs last time, and we got Digital Rancher over certain no was it you, Rob, wouldn't it you?
Speaker 4: No, you got over ten thousand subscribers.
Speaker 1: And we got him over ten thousand, and we got Carlos over like twenty five hundred or whatever it was. So yeah, I love I love doing that sort of thing. So it's fun. That's that's how I have fun. But looking forward to seeing everybody on. Here's okay, So here's a question that I want to leave you guys with. And I was gonna bring this up earlier, and we just kind of got sidetracked. I am driving to Dayton. We're gonna leave here Tuesday morning. We're gonna drive out to Saint Louis and we're gonna spend the night there, and then we're gonna drive in the rest of the way on on Wednesday, be there early afternoon sometime on Wednesday. I'm not sure yet. Anybody who's driving on Tuesday or Wednesday. Do y'all want to set up like a h F talking frequency, like an eight well, not a talk Yeah, I was thinking seventeen meters. I was thinking seventeen meters something that's you know, not gonna be too hard to find a space. So, but but those of you driving in those well, because ten meters is kind of iffy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, on forty you'll get good continental coverage for people driving in from all over.
Speaker 1: Forty might not be too bad. Yeah, for he might think, I think forty might Yeah, forty might not be too bad. So I might think on that and put something in on Twitter or on uh Instagram or something in the next couple of days. I will say this for sure, we will be monitoring all Star on the way in So those of you with All Star join four three one three six. My All Star Club server Club cloud server is what I'm trying to say, Hub all Star Hub Cloud server is what I'm trying to say. Hug Club is Hub and cloud put together. So my All Star Club ser see it. Charlie, thanks for joining, buddy. Yeah, all Star four three one three six. And I'd like to do some HF on the way in, so I might Yeah, forty might be a good one. Forty might be a good thing to look at. So yeah, so might try try that some as well. So thank once again, thank you to everybody who joined tonight. If you are going to attend four days in may be sure to check these guys out. I'm gonna be there. I'm gonna I don't think I'll be there during the day, but I will absolutely be there for vendor night because that's the that's the part that I like. So but check out, check out all that stuff. Hope to see you guys in Okay n a yo was driving down Wednesday in the evening on Wednesday, Okay, Well we won't. We'll be there by the evening time, so I don't know if we'll be monitoring we might be monitoring.
Speaker 4: So but that's gone temperature on a cooler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll be monitoring how much whiskey's in my glass. So but yeah, so so looking forward to seeing everybody next weekend. Like I said, we'll be there Wednesday afternoon. I'll probably gonna do a live stream from the camp site. Maybe Wednesday night, I don't know yet, Maybe Thursday night, I'm not sure yet. Well at some point in time I will, but but that's where we'll be going. So seventy three to all, looking forward to seeing everybody. Everyone drives safe, fly safe, have a safe flight out and back if you're if you're going that route, and uh, it's gonna be a fun time. So hopefully the weather holds. It looks like Joshua was looking at the weather and he's like, there's a slight chance on Friday morning of rain, but the rest of the time looks great. So that the rain holds off. It is Ohio, but you.
Speaker 5: Never know, so pon just to be safe, I carry one.
Speaker 1: With me everywhere I go, so no problem. So seventy three guys, thanks for joining tonight, y'all go check out prep Pam Paul's stream that's going right now. Frank dropped that in there once more, and we'll catch you in a few days. And dating seventy three