Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: I'm and I'm Stephen, and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back. How are you. I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm okay taking along.
Speaker 2: How's your week going back at school?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bit of a shock to the system going back to work after the luxury of six weeks off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it must be tricky. It's bad enough having a week or two off. Yeah, my job alone six.
Speaker 1: Weeks yeah, and then it's all changed as well, because you know, new class, new teacher, everything. But yeah, anyway, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good? Been a fun weekend down London. Yes, so for listeners of your other podcast, we were being big Doctor Who Nerds So that was fun.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: At the Gallafi Caret quiz.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we didn't embarrass ourselves too much.
Speaker 2: No, I'm quite pleased. I want to say we were fifteenth out of about forty five ish teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so definitely not too shabby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm considering. I didn't want to go on the stage. Yeah, the trophy I was quite pleased not to have. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got home. My boyfriend Ben said. The first thing he said was did you win? I was like no, and he was like oh. The next morning he was like, I can't believe we didn't win.
Speaker 2: He'd made all the difference. We should have had him there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so the producers as well.
Speaker 1: Oh god, what an amazing show. So funny.
Speaker 2: Do you recommend for anyone that's not seen it? Also, I happened to dumble across and I don't know how I found this that rec had been in it when it was last in the West End. Oh, really playing Leopold Bloom.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 2: Which is of our little connection that I read earlier.
Speaker 1: Nice connection. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I told my colleague at work that we went to see it, and she'd never heard of it. I was like, I went to see the producers and she was like who what? Like, yeah, and I said, you know the show based on the old film, and she hadn't even heard of the film that I told her the plot and she was like that sounds awful, fair enough, but no, it was excellent.
Speaker 2: It was I really enjoyed. I put her around London, went to try and see a show at the Albert Hall because it's the Problems at the moment, and hoped I could get in there, but might try and get back for the last night that the Problems might be fun. But one year, yeah, whos to watched it with my grandparents, so it might be nice to see it one year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one day, one day.
Speaker 2: But anyway, enough of our gullivating around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're back for more inside number nine we are.
Speaker 2: We're back with episode five, Series three, ditt a little dumpling.
Speaker 1: Before we get too much into that, should we do our reveal from last week? Yes, yes, yes, hidden episode title.
Speaker 2: Oh it's one of yours. I am very impressed with that one. I genuinely did not spot it.
Speaker 1: That was so funny. I obviously cut it out in editing, but there was a bit where we were talking about the when we were going to slip in and you were like, oh, is this teeing up your one and I was like, I've already done that.
Speaker 2: You went straight by you, totally straight past me.
Speaker 1: For anyone else who missed it, it was Zanzibar. There's also one that I thought was interesting, which I'd not heard of before, but it said the shortest ever war was fought between the UK and Zanzibar in eighteen ninety six. There we go.
Speaker 2: Impressive work, sir.
Speaker 1: If you If you were wondering why I was going into so much detail about the quiz game I played with my parents, that was why. So watch out for another one this week. Yeah, and we are here for little little dumplings. So Maestro of the in Southern number ninem wiki, please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, this is one of the shortest ones that we've had so far. Okay, David find someone's lost shoe on the street and becomes obsessed with finding its owner, which creates tension in his marriage, and that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, it creates quite a bit of tension. Yeah, yeah, okay, Now I really want to know what do you think of this episode?
Speaker 3: Hmm?
Speaker 2: Now, if you'd asked me that before we started this, and before I'd got you to watch them, i'd have said this was one of my least favorites. Oh really okay, Yeah, and I remember absolutely hating this at the time when I first watched it, okay, and then when I got you watching them all again and you'd said you'd watched it, and I think I remember saying you'd quite liked it. I rewatched it and I was like, actually, that's quite good. And then I've rewatched it twice today before this and really enjoyed it, especially the end. I've enjoyed more every time i've watched it. Good. Yeah, it's massively changed for me. This was one it was in my bottom five episodes of all the whole lot.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm I'm glad it's gone up.
Speaker 2: It massively has, yeah, because I.
Speaker 1: Have to say, like, I think this might be one of my faves. Yeah, I love it. I really really like it.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I didn't like it. I think I just thought it was too silly, oh okay, and like the first sort of ninety percent of it just seems a bit stupid, and I think it just annoyed me okay before when it was just like just get on with it. Yeah, And then I think when I've rewatched it, I've just appreciated a bit more. And yeah, yeah, maybe I was watching it at the wrong headspace at the time or something.
Speaker 1: But possibly, But yeah, I have to be honest because obviously, you know, it's basically what it is is a depiction of obsession and a man falling into this breakdown. And personally, something I know about myself is that I do have quite an obsessive personality, right, It's quite easy for me to become obsessed about things, and so perhaps I find it relatable and that's one reason why I like it, because you you know, you feel so sorry for the man, you do. Yeah, and you can once you know what's going on, you can really understand where he's coming from.
Speaker 2: Oh totally. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yes, I don't know how we want to how we want to play this, Like do we want to just be open from the beginning.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of those ones where we have to be, isn't it. Yeah, I think it doesn't really work otherwise.
Speaker 1: No, And obviously anyone listening to this has watched it, so you know.
Speaker 2: I'd like to hope so watch it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, quite it's quite nice how it's split into the four seasons and using Vivaldi's four Seasons to sort of underscore it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I only no Spring, but I'll assume that the other three of correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Spring is the most well known one, isn't it. But yeah, Yeah, And I think that works really well as well, because it's sort of their house is so sort of beautiful, and you know, everything's in its place, and everything's in its has its order, yes, and then this music is very sort of frenetic and like all over the place, and it sort of feels like his brain is just sort of constantly just really lil about this shoe. I think it's really well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can really see that. I'd never considered that, but yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Something I didn't notice until the last most recent rewatch i've seen of it. How many twos there are and how many pairs of things there are. Oh yeah, I don't think i'd ever really paid enough attention to the set before, Like they've really gone to town on pairs of vases and pairs of chairs and pairs of lamps and yeah, all sorts of the amount of twos that they mentioned in the script as well. Yeah, it's timing for two minutes two hours ago this happened, and like two days before, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very clever. Did you notice the house number as well?
Speaker 2: Twenty two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty two again, Like I was watching that and I thought, oh, it's like two little ducks, little ducks, yeah, two twins.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also that's quite fun because how many of these have we watched where it's you know that it's a house number nine, and you just sort of you expect it to.
Speaker 2: Be that exactly a nice little fake out.
Speaker 1: And then you see that and you think, oh, okay, what's going on here? And then then they show the shoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds quite clever. Yeah, I mean it's a stretch in that it doesn't happen in a shoe.
Speaker 1: I knew you to say that. I was thinking, I know he's going to say, oh, it's happened inside the shoe. No it doesn't. Nothing if not predictable, but it's very much centers around the shoe. Oh totally, we can allow it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice guest star in Keey Hawes.
Speaker 2: I love Howes. I'll say that again. I love Keeley Hawes. She's great. She is I remember first seeing her in Line of Duty. Oh yeah, and absolutely loving her, she's awesome and everything she does and get another doctor who al she is?
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember I used to watch Life on Mars with my parents and then Ashes to Ashes when that came out. She was in that.
Speaker 2: Oh she had not seen those?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no is the like follow up spin off and then she was the lead in that instead of John.
Speaker 2: Sim Right, Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: I do like their relationship at the start. Well, I feel like I like quite like their relationship all throughout. Really, they seem quite weirdly in the TV series, quite a happy relationship mostly like I no, it gets a bit strained, yeah, but like they seem quite happy at the start, like they're just sort of making jokes of each other.
Speaker 1: And yes, they do work well together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I genuinely buy that they're a couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, And the.
Speaker 2: Whole trude and not wanting friends that are whines and how quickly she comes back with it chardon ay or.
Speaker 1: Whatever I thought I thought, But it's sauvignon.
Speaker 2: Chardon is the easy, easy one I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: Because really does sound like it could be a name. Yeah, and is just that step too far? But no, I love it. It's so funny, especially as someone who works in a school in this day and age, because it's not that far off the truth.
Speaker 2: Part of me chopping ahead a little bit. The when he jokes about looking in Gertrude's bag and being Ana Karinicut and it's in Russian, part of me wonders if that was even in the script, like I mean it was, but that she didn't know what the line was going to be, because her reaction to that seems genuine joy Yeah, Like she seems to genuinely find that really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also like when he says about, oh, you know, she should be reading Janet and what's it have too? Mummies or whatever they read? Now? That reminds me of the nursery and my school. They have a book in there that's something similar along the lines of I think it's called Mummy, Mumma and Me right, And the nursery teacher she picked it up off the floor when I was in there, and she she looked at what it was and then she said to me, oh, it's one of those woke books. And I was like, um, okay, don't really know how to respond to that.
Speaker 2: You know, do you know, dear yeah, imbres having anything I can remember as mister Willoughby's wallaby, mister Willoughby's wallaby, I hope, no, No, I think it was a genuine wallaby that mister Willoughby had. Okay, I'm going to the library to pick something out to read, and I'd misheard and gone to the wrong end of the bookshelf, so just gone for the most difficult book, but there was apparently which is mister Willoby's Wallaby, And got very confused because I was like, I don't know, yeah, three or something.
Speaker 1: It's a very nice house, isn't it lovely?
Speaker 2: How there's a big tinicle.
Speaker 1: A little bit, but yeah, I do watch it and sort of get a bit of house envy.
Speaker 2: Like, hmm nice, like the big stairs, yeah, and the big doors into the dining roomy sort of area. M how many houses they have to look out to get because I know there's a lot of the two things that we said, but a lot of them are even in the room that would be there anyway, Like it's double doors and there's two spotlights above the table and lake. Yes, there's lots of things that they couldn't have added in, like the picture and stuff. I wonder how many houses they did have to hunt around. Yeah, and they weren't back at the same place that they filmed everywhere else at well it wasn't that fancy old manor house.
Speaker 1: No, so yes, so plot, he's found this single shoe outside his house on his way back from a run. Yes, and he becomes obsessed with it. He initially. I like how initially he takes it back out and puts it on the wall. But then you can just tell he's itching and he just can't let it, let it go. Yeah, he has to go and retrieve it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Did you see that. It came about because they spotted, yes, a single shoe. Yeah, was it? I want to say it with Steve spotted it, it was, yeah, and brought Reese along. Yeah, and then the other one saw another on separate single shoe somewhere else. I do have to wonder that, Like, you could understand it if you found two shoes, but someone's lost a shoe.
Speaker 1: That is very strange.
Speaker 2: How do you do that?
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know, apart from like this said in the episode about it falling out of your suitcase or something. Yeah, but yeah, very odd considering you think it would be quite a rare thing to happen, But you do see single shoes.
Speaker 2: It's surprisingly not that uncommon. Yeah, he's not a shoe art thing you particularly carry around much to drop one. It's like, unless it's the shoes you're wearing and you fall out of them, yes, if you're drunk or something, well yeah, but even if you're drunk, I think you'd managed to pick your shoes up, yeah and put them back on.
Speaker 1: Very strange. Yeah, well one of the life's mysteries.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So he gets this obsession.
Speaker 1: And like I said, you just feel so sorry for him, Yeah, when you know what's going on, Like, he just he's so protective of it, has to keep it safe, you know, when she reaches out for it and he just withholds it and like cradles it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he wraps it up in a blanket as well.
Speaker 1: And he starts to neglect things in his real life that are important in fa of this obsession. And it's like it seems silly on the surface, but you can understand it. Yeah, it's like he's constantly itching to get back to this thing that is more important to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like this has been six years since it happened, Like, what else has he been doing in this six years as well? This might not be the first time he's done something unusual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point because he's been out off work for six.
Speaker 2: Years or was he off for the whole six years? Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Actually that was my assumption maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it makes sense. I mean I don't see why I would have gone back then come off again, like if he'd have probably just never gone back. Yeah you're still off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what else has he been up to? Or is it just that this he's not had the closure on this thing and the shoe became something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see. The thing that I don't understand about this episode is is he how is he because he set it up? Yeah, Like how knowingly is he doing that? Because so I was gonna say, because when you've got things like Ted later that he has that whole conversation with that, assuming he's aware of the fact that he put the shoe out, that surely he knows all of this isn't true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I personally I don't think he is aware that he did it. Like, yeah, so you know the scene where Chris comes around and then he comes in with the two martinis. Yeah, and then there's the martinis already on the table, and he's forgotten that he's done that. And I think that's put in there to show us that he is having these moments of oh, completely blacking out and not realizing that he's done certain things. I think that's that's what that's there for.
Speaker 2: True, I kind of took that as that his mind was just on the shoe. Well that yeah, that too, Yeah, that makes sense as well.
Speaker 1: But no, I genuinely don't think he's aware that he's done that.
Speaker 2: Well he can't be, Yeah, no, exactly.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't make any sense. No, So it's like it's like his subconscious or like he did it almost like in a sleepwalk, like in a trance or something, you know. Yeah, because my other question with that is, you know, as we find out at the end they were his shoes, yeah, or along where's the other one?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, My question more was wouldn't his wife know that they were his shoes?
Speaker 1: She might do? Yeah you think so?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't she have shut this all down right at the start? Yeah, or at least said.
Speaker 1: Something, so that's your shoeudio?
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't you have a pair that looked like that or something like that, Like they're not just a random pair that he wears, some tattool pair, like they look like his smart shoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not like you'd have twelve nice black shoes that you might have tattool trainers or something.
Speaker 1: Or maybe she's just I mean, she's quite quite busy with work and like she's in the family on her own. Maybe she just doesn't notice things like what shoes he has.
Speaker 2: I suppose, and he's maybe not worn them in the last six years anyway. Yeah, yeah, because he's not maybe left the house to do anything nice. Yeah I suppose. I guess, Yeah, I can. I can sort of square that enough. I do enjoy the bit where you made posters and like her reaction to that. Obviously when you watch it for the first time, you don't know what's going on. He just seems such a lunatic at this point.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, completely, you've.
Speaker 2: Had posters now, I only had twenty because I think and that it's a little drawing as well.
Speaker 1: And he has a perfectly logical reason for that. Or I don't want to give the information.
Speaker 2: Out give him information. No, no, yeah, any old person could clean the shoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does just seem bizarre, like why would he be so obsessed with this, with sort of this out this shoe. I think I'm trying to remember what I felt when I first watched it and what I thought why I thought he was so interested in the shoe. Yeah, I can't honestly remember, but I wonder if I might have twigged that it was something along those lines, that it might have been a lost child or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think I did it all.
Speaker 1: It does seem like that there's got to be something, there's got to be some other meaning to it, that he's there is a reason why he's I don't know. M Yeah. I won't claim that I I worked it out because I can't remember, but maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I thought it was just one of those episodes where oh, this is just a weird guy. Mm, and it didn't seem to be going anywhere. I think is why I wasn't so keen. And then then the end kind of comes a bit abruptly, or it did for me at the time. Maybe I wasn't in the right head space for it to see all of the sort of bits leading up, and it didn't feel quite satisfying, but definitely has subsequently. Oh yeah, although every time I watch it, I forget the ending, well not forget the ending, but I'm always like, well, was it that he had a brother that died a twin? Oh? Okay, And I can't remember exactly. I know the concept, but I can't remember who the players are in it, right, Yeah, And I did that again today.
Speaker 1: So oh okay, But yeah again about this the way that they depict this obsession that he has. Another bit I really like is when the phone rings and he assumes that it's going to be about the shoe, and obviously it turns out to be her mum, And it's just like his entire world revolves around this shoe. Yeah, and therefore he assumed is that everyone else's world revolves around it as well, And.
Speaker 2: It couldn't possibly be anyone else on the phone.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you know, it's very much a one track mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no ways, like, get off the phone. They could be calling. They could be calling like it's some sort of hotline for crime watch or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the look she gives him when she just leaves the room with the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm being a little bit flippant about it because I'm sort of how you would be meant to view it when you're first seeing it exactly. Yes, it is objectively very silly. Obviously, it hits a lot harder when you do know why he's doing all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. I love these episodes where it is you know, most episodes really where you get such a different experience the first time versus a rewatch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely definitely one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we move into summer, we.
Speaker 2: Do I like the little sheet that hits the window. Yeah, the drawing and how it's done to press against the window and then fly away again. Yeah, it must have been tricky, key shot to do.
Speaker 1: Nice transition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really nice transition, and this will be where we get Steve pop up. It is, yes, for his obligatory appearance. His role is Chris. It's it's probably one of his smallest roles in the whole thing. Yeah, it doesn't really add a lot him personally, and so he's got to be there to be a catalyst for.
Speaker 1: Things, but he just serves a function really hm hmm.
Speaker 2: This is very much Reese's episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think I think he does a fantastic job in it.
Speaker 2: He does. I'd feel like Steve gets more episodes where he's the center, if there is just one of them.
Speaker 1: Possibly.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm basically not on absolutely nothing, but just a feeling that I've got. I've not done, like you know, gone through the episodes and on the mass.
Speaker 1: But no, I don't know if I've thought about it.
Speaker 2: Really, Reese tends to be the more side character. I feel that pops up with a girlfriend or a wife or whatever. Yes, No, to be a side character to push stuff on for Steve and his wife or whatever character.
Speaker 1: Yes, but no, he's very good at doing this new slowly losing it hmm. Thing. It really suits him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so yeah, there's this thing of that they're sort of trying to get David back into work. As I said, he brings them the martinis, but he's obviously forgotten he's done that, which I think is quite clever and again reminded me a bit of Tom and Jerry actually with it.
Speaker 2: I got Tom and Jerry lot.
Speaker 1: Where they say about, oh, you know, about three weeks ago, and she says, no, it was more like three months ago. Whether they're losing track of time.
Speaker 2: I did. Yeah, I got the strongest link to that episode of all of them. Yes, it felt like there was a lot of callbacks to that in a way. Yeah, similar sort of vibe.
Speaker 1: And then you know, this is another person that comes in and he expects to be as fascinated by the shoe as he is. Yeah, and this is it's just as the episode goes on, and it just becomes more and more awkward that people aren't and you know, you're so sorry for him. It's so sad that he just can't see that it's not appropriate and like no one cares.
Speaker 2: Isn't the normal thing to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then of course she reveals that she threw it away. Yeah, and he absolutely hits the roof.
Speaker 2: Yeah, freaks. Hence I probably why he's got it locked away after that, I'm guessing. Yeah, it was like it wasn't long ago there been man hadn't been well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think this is such a good episode because you can understand exactly why he freaks like that when it means so much to him that it's essentially a stand in for his lost son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and why he's so you.
Speaker 1: Know, he's so protective of it, and you know when he lets Chris touch it and he's like, oh careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there's no lines wasted in it, like everything is so well crafted. Yeah, it is a beautiful episode.
Speaker 1: It really is. And yeah, then it's again more is so awkward. But this he tells him to time him and see if he can go two minutes without talking about it, and he's like, oh no no. And the fact that Louise is like no, I want you to see this, it's like because you feel so sorry for her as well, Like she is she's having to deal with a lot dealing with this, you know, and.
Speaker 2: It's her kid too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one, and she must be so alone in this because her husband has vacated the building like effectively, Yeah, he's now just a shoe man. His life is this shoe. He's not her husband anymore. He's some shell of a man, very sad.
Speaker 2: And a bold thing to have a good twenty seconds worth of absolute silence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's so good, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it feels like eternity it.
Speaker 1: Does it always will rent it something like that. But you know, again we mentioned this all the time, but how well they would work on stage, But like that kind of pause on stage would be so powerful.
Speaker 2: Oh you would hear a pin drop? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Chris being so again he feels awkward about what he's doing, having to do this, and like he's everyone's almost sort of pussy footing around David and sort of treating him with kid gloves. Yeah, because he's so delicate, and you know, that's sort of small talk about the holiday and he's like how long? And he thinks he's asking how long is he going away for? And he's actually just it's like a drug addict. It's like an addiction, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not really even listening.
Speaker 1: No, it's like it really is. It's like he's going cold turkey from a drug. He's having this physical reaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just can't understand why anyway else wouldn't it be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when he says, this is very cruel what you're doing, and she's like, I just want to help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she does, she does.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you watch the whole episode and whenever he talks about the shoot, if you imagine he's talking about a child, like it does make sense, like absolutely, well, you would have a national appeal looking for this child if they've gone missing or whatever. You would be putting calls out on the radio and having press briefings and stuff, which is effectively exactly what he sees it as. Yeah, it makes the radio interview quite tricky. Yeah, I mean funny. You don't know what it means, but yes, pretty awful.
Speaker 1: Just before the radio interview, there's that interesting little moment where Chris takes Louise's hand and they appear to in my view at least, they appear to almost have a little moment.
Speaker 2: Oh you think and.
Speaker 1: She just says, she says, I can't, as if like there's a potential spark there or like he could be a shoulder to cry on sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't remember that. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yes, So when he goes out, when he goes out to find the shoe in the bin, Yeah, they have a little moment at the table and Chris takes Louise's hand and then she just goes, I can't. Yeah, and I did wonder.
Speaker 2: If they might be having an affair of some description.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, good on her for not succumbing to that, But it's interesting that it was there as a possibility.
Speaker 2: M There's so many little layers that they never even explore upon, but you can read into if you want. There might be all sorts going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: And Yeah, then the radio interview with Danny.
Speaker 2: Baker, Danny Baker or people.
Speaker 1: I thought when I first watched it, I thought it was Jonathan Ross or I thought it was somebody trying to do an impression of Jonathan Ross, Okay, but then I realized it's just Danny Baker being himself. But oh my god. It's typical of that sort of thing, though, isn't it. That's sort of not really taking them seriously and making everything into a joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the whole sort of Jerry Springer like Jeremy Kyle type thing of just using people for entertainment and like belittling their feelings.
Speaker 1: Because that's the thing. Like we know, we know David is deeply serious about this and what it means to him, but for this radio show, it's just, Oh, this is a bit weird, isn't it. This man is doing a big appeal to find this missing shoe person. Yeah, like it is a bit of a joke for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can understand it when you don't know anything. Yeah, he's just an letter that's obsessed with the shoe.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then there's something here that I want to put a pin in and come back to at the end. But it's the moment when he switches off the radio right and then he hears his daughter Sally called daddy and he goes.
Speaker 2: To her right.
Speaker 1: So I would just want to highlight that and say I'm going to come back to that later because I think that's quite important. Okay, but yeah, the next big thing we get is ted.
Speaker 2: Ted Matthew Bayton, love Matthew Bane.
Speaker 1: The Lovely Matthew Bainton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's wonderful. So yeah, I can't remember what I thought when I first saw this because she's very awkward, Yes, which makes sense, but I'm like, why would you've come all the way from Norfolk to claim a shoe?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, unless Yeah, it is strange. It doesn't really make sense, No, but it does make sense when you find out later why he's there.
Speaker 2: It does. Although how has she arranged this? So she's just gone through all random people that she tangentially knows will you come over to my house and pretend to claim a shoe.
Speaker 1: It could be that I did see online. Other people have suggested that perhaps Ted is the one she's getting solace from.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I wondered. Yeah, in the background. Who knows, because that's what he implies, doesn't he? David later, Oh, yes, that are they having an affair or something?
Speaker 1: Personally, I don't buy that. I don't get that from it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I do either.
Speaker 1: I think he was just a friend. He was somebody that she knew well, but that David wouldn't know because it was from her past. So she used she used that to her advantage. Yeah, but yes, I mean it's such a mundane explanation for where this shoe came from that he seems disappointed, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: He wanted some big event.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's almost like he's become so obsessed with this whole process of finding the owner that actually finding the owner is just a bit of a damp squib, like, oh, bit of an anti climax.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a finale that we've built up in our minds to be better than it would be. Yeah, have we heard that before?
Speaker 1: And he oh god, he just treats it like a police matter, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so again I'm laughing and I shouldn't be, but it's it is so funny. And the way his eyes pop above the.
Speaker 1: Paper, Yeah, I think you can. You can laugh. It is intended to be funny, Yeah, because that's the whole point of it, isn't it. It's funny until you.
Speaker 2: Know the twist, until it isn't.
Speaker 1: But yes, you know when he says about you know, which is the correct tread A B, C or D. But it's not just that. It's also the fact that the letters are in a jumbled order than on the right order, which to me is like another layer of all deception, like you know, like a magician. And Ted is just looking so sad. He's just looking so concerned for his friend's husband. Yeah, as you find out later.
Speaker 2: And also like he's not seen this, like he'll presumably have gone she'll have told him what the deal is and he wouldn't have bought that it was anywhere nearest of here is this exactly?
Speaker 1: So it's like, oh god, it's all true what she said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and probably worse, Yes, I fact that he's probably had these cards dashed away in a cupboard for weeks, waiting for him to get to show them to someone.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's probably had this plan of what the interview would.
Speaker 1: Be like because he wasn't expecting him to turn up. He just turned up, didn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, and he fully expected loads of people would turn up. He's expecting the cone to be ringing off the hook. Yeah, people trying to steal his shoe, so he would be trying to come up with ways of weeding out the impostors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bless him. And then yeah, he just can't bear to part with it. Yeah, but at least said the shoes are going to be together, which is what he really wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what matters.
Speaker 1: And this is where he starts to use the pronoun hymn for the shoe.
Speaker 2: Oh he does, I'd not noticed that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he says, I won't make you try him on. Yeah, a bit, a bit weird. Yeah, that's the shift.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice that. Like I said, not a word wasted.
Speaker 1: Is important, very very good. So then we go to Autumn.
Speaker 2: Mammy the Pumpkin.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's an interesting little moment there where Sally brings up funerals. Hmmm, and there's a moment where Louise is just a bit awkward, like yes, yes, and obviously given what we know later, So the twin died six years ago. Yeah, but this girl is older than six, I would say, you know, eight maybe, Yeah, so she must have been you know, she must have been old enough to be aware of what was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not old enough to really have had much of an attachment to remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she presumably remember. What she means is she remembers the funeral and that's why she's bringing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everyone being sad in it being a big event, but she won't remember what it was. Yeah, potentially. Can I imagine if the dad's so still miserable six years on, which obviously makes sense that they probably haven't had many fun events that she would have been to between then and now, no to remember mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's remarkable how well adjusted the girl is given everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I mean it's quite a shift this scene, isn't it. David seems to be doing really well back in work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice to see and like he's really stuck in and he's talking about trips abroad and you know, yeah, he's probably I don't want to say over it, but like he's moved on and off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going in the right direction at least at this point.
Speaker 1: And then you know his his greatest test there in that scene is her recital of the nursery rhyme, which is where we get the title of the episode. Yes, were you familiar with this rhyme?
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I was.
Speaker 2: I was watching this and my housemate came in just probably about as this is it autumn started, Yeah, and he was sat watching it. Then she said a little thing and he goes, what the fuck was that? What the hell is she about?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: No, Well, most nursery rhymes are weird, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Like if you've gone into this assembly and that's all that happened, I'd be very disappointed.
Speaker 1: Well, I doubt that's all that happens.
Speaker 2: They all have some nonsense three lines to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, I think he deals with that quite well. Like Louise is clearly like on eggshells, like waiting to see if he's going to flip because of the one shoe off from one shoe on. Yeah, he seems to deal with it quite well until the daughter hugs him, and then you see his face as a little bit. He's wabbling a little bit, I think, hmm. But I do think overall he seems to be doing pretty well in this Yeah, in this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, definitely he's adjusting. Not I just did, but doesn't take much to shake him still.
Speaker 1: No, And I do think clearly he has a lot of love for this remaining daughter.
Speaker 2: That they have. Yeah, and like the way he walks in and says, my girls or whatever, did you seem really sweet family?
Speaker 1: Yes, because it's like the thing is like, yeah, obviously you're not going to get over something so tragic happening, but you can't let it be more important than the people you do have, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. It would be so tough, Yeah, because you can't just let it swallow you. Yeah, because you've got to be there for the other one exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. It's hard, it's very hard, but like being grateful for the child he does have and the wife he has and stuff. Yeah, So quite a short scene there, and let me skip onto Winter.
Speaker 2: Yes, where it all goes downhill.
Speaker 1: It all goes downhill, the shoe is back on the grass.
Speaker 2: It is, and it all goes to hell. Yes, do we reckon? Going back to what we said earlier about whether he dissociates and makes stuff up that he forgets. Yeah, did he plan? Is this another thing that he planned? Do you reckon? He's been thinking about this Ted person all this time and are they real and has been going through the photo albums and trying to hunt it down. Or do we take it at face value that he was just making a photo album?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I personally took it at face value.
Speaker 2: I did until literally just now I wondered whether, oh, okay, is he concocting more stuff?
Speaker 1: I mean it's possible, It is possible. But I think it's nice that, you know, as we said in the last scene, he was doing so well if he's continuing on that trajectory hopefully, and then it's just accidentally stumbling across this photo that changes everything. Yeah, it's quite nice as.
Speaker 2: It would be tough if that is genuine. What happened, like that sense of betrayal, Yeah, to come out of nowhere when he wasn't even expecting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't really blame Louise for doing it, No, not at all. She must have been at the end of her tether and like out of options.
Speaker 2: Because assuming he is dead set on he's got to find who owns this shoe, and it's never going to end. Yeah, she's got to do something to stop it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, it soon becomes clear it's really not about the shoe. It's never been about the shoe. Nope, Andy, they finally explicitly acknowledged that Sally's not just her brother, but her twin mm hmm. Joseph died six years ago. Yeah, and this has all been his way of trying to reunite them, that they're a pair and they should be together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really sad. You can see it in his eyes. It's an amazing performance, Fraies, It's haunting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is an amazing actor and.
Speaker 2: Really shows it off here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, interesting question at this point, what do you take has actually happened?
Speaker 1: You mean, when we see the blood on his hands and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I only just found something out about that just now, Oh okay, just before this call. Okay, so I do know the answer, right, But what do you Reckon.
Speaker 1: Well, the way I see it, it's left deliberately ambiguous. So the way I see it, you realize the blood on his hands, it's not his blood. And he's literally just said they should be together after they talked about some being dead. And the way I see it, there's a split second. For me, there's a split second where you think, oh my god, he hasn't killed his daughter, has he? And then he brings up Ted and says that he went to see him to get the shoe from him. Yeah, So my understanding at the end is that he went and he probably killed Ted. But I don't believe. I don't believe he killed his daughter, right, however.
Speaker 2: I am, But you believe it's meant to be open ended.
Speaker 1: I do believe it's meant to be open ended.
Speaker 2: Yes, interesting, Okay, So I was looking up on this to see what the consensus was, and I stumbled across a podcast with Adam Buxton from about twenty seventeen with recent Stevon discussing their careers right, And they were talking about dark episodes and people making up things, and they said that they'd read that this theory that he'd actually killed his daughter, and they were like, we never even thought of that. Oh wow, So it wasn't intended to be open ended. They'd never even considered that was an ending.
Speaker 3: And Rees had a line saying, you know, one about putting wanting to put the shoes and saying that they should be together, and people interpreted that as being they should be together, I e. I'm going to go and kill the other one, And people thought that the ending that we'd come up with is that he had gone and killed.
Speaker 1: The other one and pared them by having and.
Speaker 2: That was never in our minds.
Speaker 1: We were like, who are these sick people? That's interesting because it really does seem you know, even if it's just for that split second, Yeah, it does seem very intentional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: So what was it before you've listened to however? What did you think the end was.
Speaker 2: I thought it was open ended. I did think it would probably be ted, but I don't I don't know if I'd have liked it to have been more heavily hinted that it might have that it could have been either yeah, like for for Louise to have gone, oh god and ran out or something. Yeah, as in she's running upstairs to check on Sally.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I quite like it being open ended. I know, as you say, it wasn't intentionally open ended, but nevertheless it seems open ended. Like for everyone who watches it.
Speaker 2: You can understand him, I mean you can't, but you can understand him having potentially murdered Ted. Like, not only is he lied to him, he at this point potentially thinks he's having an affair with his wife, and like there's several layers of obviously wrong, but he could jump to conclusions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially if, as we know, he blacks out and he doesn't know what he's doing.
Speaker 2: He says he doesn't remember what he's done. Yeah, doesn't he.
Speaker 1: But the thing with Sally is like, so even when I was rewatching it for this, Ben came down and just caught the last couple of minutes of it, and he obviously didn't know what had been going on in the whole episode, but he picked up obviously that there were these twins and one of them had died. And then he even he thought, in that split second he thought that he had killed his daughter.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I mean inside number nine in general, that is that would make sense, like that does seem. Yes, the kind of thing that he might have done.
Speaker 1: But so if we come back to now what I put a pin in earlier. The reason they want to to bring that up is because I think, actually, despite everything and despite his obsession with the shoe, I think his existing daughter is the most important thing in his life, right and that even when he's you know, he's been listening to his radio interview and it's all about that. As soon as he hears daddy, as soon as he hears her calling, he gets up and he goes to.
Speaker 2: Her right so she can stack him out of it.
Speaker 1: That was my way of saying, like, I don't think that he would kill her right.
Speaker 2: Now, I can see that he does stap at her a bit with the shoe when she's getting it as a car. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that that is that is one bit.
Speaker 2: That's early on in the obsession, Like, yes, he's probably a bit over hyper focus at that point, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's super interesting that they never even considered it, because it's how can you write How can you write that line going from you know he's dead and they should be together to then oh my god, you've got blood on your hands and not see that connection that just seems so like obvious.
Speaker 2: It really does.
Speaker 1: It's funny, isn't it. And we assume, you know, I mean, we hear the sirens.
Speaker 2: So yeah, something's happened.
Speaker 1: Something's coming for him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's hope he's just wrestled the shoe off him and that was all.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably unlikely. I think.
Speaker 1: Death. Death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a staple of this series, it is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then the final revelations where we have this really slow zoom in on.
Speaker 2: That photo's sweet.
Speaker 1: Turns out they were his shoes all along. Yeah, and the CCTV shows as it was him who put the shoe there.
Speaker 2: I do like that. That's in the credits as well. Yeah, quite a nice little that'll touch.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, isn't it. I wonder do you think it improves the episode having that revelation there or do you think you're better without it?
Speaker 2: No? I like it. I like it. Yeah, I don't mind it sometimes being a bit left open ended, but I don't like where something that's quite core to the plot is omitted. Okay, Like I like that that sort of ties up ties up the.
Speaker 1: Question of where the shoe came from.
Speaker 2: Where the shoe came from, because part.
Speaker 1: Of me wonders if actually it would have been better if it was just literally a random thing and he never found out. I mean, I know he doesn't find out, but we never found out because it is one of those things in life you don't find these things out or true.
Speaker 2: And I mean it could have been that that just set him off, Like, does it make more sense that he didn't know about him it wasn't planned as much as his subconscious planned it. If it was just a random shoe, yeah, and that fully sent him off down this spiral.
Speaker 1: Yes, but no. Also, on the other hand, it does, as you say, like he's clearly well. We know he's clearly not well, and the fact that at the beginning of the episode when we see him, he does seem fairly normal and fairly well adjusted, going for.
Speaker 2: A run, for God's sake, Yeah, I mean who goes for a run?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But if he's if his subconscious has planted this shoe there, as we then see at the end, he's obviously not okay, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, no, not all poor guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope you got some help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I said, Eli, just just sorry for Louise as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now she's not only lost her son, but her husband as well. Like, yeah, she's probably presumably in prison for at least ABH like GBH murder, who knows?
Speaker 1: And we hope she still has Sally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, god imagine that. Yeah, if you'd murdered both of them exactly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, good episode.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Yeah, I had to give it more of a chance. I don't know as I would have ever given it another chance if you've not been watching them.
Speaker 1: Oh, well yeah, I'm glad you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Shall we rate it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Out of nine?
Speaker 2: You go first?
Speaker 1: Okay, As I said, I do think this might be one of my favorite.
Speaker 2: It's really as strong as that.
Speaker 1: I think it's personal, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Of course? Yeah, no I'm not. Yeah, you judge it, however, you like.
Speaker 1: I think personally to me, just because, like I said, I find it's so captivating. I think Reese's performance is amazing, and I find the whole obsession thing to be sadly quite relatable. Not that I am quite a bad extreme but yeah, so yeah, I think for me, in terms of my enjoyment level, I'm going to say in eight out of nine for this episode.
Speaker 2: Nice, Nice, what do I go. It's a tough one, and that we've said before about judging it on a first watch, because that's what in the intent for most people, and whereas I feel like this one actually will be scored less on that, like it scores better on a rewatch. Six feels too low, but a seven feels really high. No, I'll go a seven. Okay, it is good. It is really good and it is very well made.
Speaker 1: What do you think you'd have rated it before rewatching it?
Speaker 2: Like before, just on the first watch, and how I remember it? Yeah, oh best of four? Okay, I don't know. I just yeah, it's grown on me a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good, it's probably as well. Comes down to my appreciation more for acting now than I would have done. What was this ten years ago? Okay, nearly ten years ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Interesting, but yeah, I kind of was looking forward to get into this one for a long time because I did remember really liking it, and yeah, didn't disappoint.
Speaker 2: Good. Well, that's nearly series three done.
Speaker 1: Nearly. There's one important question you haven't asked me that I'm dying too.
Speaker 2: Did you spot the hair well? And if you didn't, I think you need to go to Specsavis.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, yeah, well, actually I did go to Specsavers. Yes, that's why you spied it, Yes, exactly. I haven't even picked up my new glasses yet, but I think I would have had to stop doing the podcast if I hadn't spotted it. Yeah, it was right in your face, wasn't It might.
Speaker 2: Be the third most easy to spot hair in the whole series.
Speaker 1: So yeah, when he's dusting the pictures, Yeah, and it's there on the sideboard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about three minutes in. Yeah. I wonder if I looked when he did it, and because it was on the far left of the dresser, and wonder if he might have made two of them in this one, but one on the other end to keep their two thing going. But no, but where that might have been a bit obvious for the possibly did you spot our hair? Dear listeners? We will let you know where it was next week, will we were? Indeed, when we're back for the finale private view.
Speaker 1: Indeed, which I don't remember very well at all. No, and I don't think I particularly liked it that much, but we will see, we will see what I think this time.
Speaker 2: I remember not liking Peter Kay, but otherwise I see Peter Kay is in it? Yeah is he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: My god, I really don't remember it.
Speaker 2: Not for long, and it doesn't fare well.
Speaker 1: But oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, okay, well yeah that'll be fun but yeah, until then, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.