Speaker 1: Report to Transporter Room three.
Speaker 2: Oll Brian here, I need you in Transporter Room three.
Speaker 1: This is the Captain. Meet me in Transporter Room three.
Speaker 3: Join us in Transporter Room three.
Speaker 1: Captain. We're heading for Transporter Room three. This is your favorite transport room, isn't it. You're listening to Transporter Room three with your hosts, Phil Perello and sak Laura Energize.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to a new episode of Transporter Room three. Mister Scott. How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing all right, Phil. A couple of things going on in the world of Star Trek at the moment. One of them is the it's just the already fifth anniversary of the best of both worlds if you can believe it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And we're continuing our celebration of that very landmark anniversary for both of us, that landmark episode with an interview with Michael Lokuda, which you can check out on our Patreon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He does a very very deep dive on the making of the episode, his role in shaping the character of the tenant Shelby. He also unpacks how the old school the analog digital process they used to make the spinny Star Drive graphics.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And he also talks about his role in working on Star Trek four, his first Star Trek project, and why there was only one shot.
Speaker 1: Of the bridge Okay, no beauty.
Speaker 2: Passes, no nothing, just one shot of the new Enterprise a bridge at the end of Star Trek four. It's a fascinating chat. He's to say this's a nice guy would be a an understatement. He's just it was one of the coolest chats I've ever had with a Star Trek person.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, that bridge is like that was a one and done bridge too, right, because one and done you get to Star Trek five. It's a different bridge, right, So yeah, okay, so yeah, go check that out over on our Patreon where there's at this point over forty exclusive Patreon episodes that we've recorded. So if you guys have just been on the free feed here, that's forty episodes of Transported Room three just waiting for you to check out.
Speaker 2: We have multiple Ron Moore and Brendan Braga interviews. We have Sir Patrick Stewart talking about the threest anniversary of all Good Things. Yeah, and we got Captain James Tiberius.
Speaker 1: Kirk Yeah, the Shatner the chat, and we edited out the part where he almost choked to death as well.
Speaker 2: But I wish I could do that in my memory. I wish I could just go to recall get that, take.
Speaker 1: It out, you know what. But just like Captain Kirk, he pulled through, He figured out a way through that particular quagmire, and he triumphed in the end.
Speaker 2: So he doesn't believe in choking on toast scenarios.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're gonna talk about Duet the Deep Space nine episode on the occasion of the passing of the actor from that episode who plays Maritza Harris Jolin. Am I pronouncing his name correctly.
Speaker 2: Harish Ellen. Yeah, an incredible actor and terrible coincidence. The week before he passed away, I saw him in one of his best performances, clear in Present Danger. I went to see a revival screening of it and a beautiful thirty five millionaire print. His performance killed that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's great. So before we before we do that, let's talk a little bit about the news that just came up a couple of days ago, which is that Change the Worlds is canceled. It's not done yet, but it has officially been canceled. There's season three will be airing this summer. I think in July. I think it debuts. Season four is in production now.
Speaker 2: Ish, I think it's wrapping up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and then they so they've they announced that there will be a season five, but it will only be six episodes and then that's it shows done after that. What do you think of that when you heard that news.
Speaker 2: I wasn't surprised. I was more surprised at the timing. Yeah, they haven't even done the junket yet for season three, right, and the top question is going to be something around what's it like to know this early that you're going to be canceled? Or how are you preparing for the final ups? You know all that stuff. Yeah, that feels very questionable and just not I don't know what motivated the time. Yeah, traditionally and when news like that hits, it's because someone in the trades is sniffing around it. It was going to announce it before they did, and they wanted to control the narrative. But I don't know, I don't know what the rationale was for that.
Speaker 1: Could it be I don't know if this makes sense but could it be that they were trying to get ahead of of like the company, you know, Paramount potentially, you know, like saying like, all right, you guys are done, so that once they announced that it's happening, it's kind of like, well now we kind of have to do it something like that. Maybe I don't know, but but yeah, I agree, it's odd because we're so far off, you know, we're essentially we're at the halfway point right now, right because we've only had two seasons that have actually aired. So it also feels.
Speaker 2: Six episode five fifth season, six episodes, like.
Speaker 1: That's it's not even a season, right, but ten episodes, which is what they've been doing is barely has barely been a season, you know. So it feels a little bit like when they ended Lower Decks two, which they went out of their way to announce it as a not a cancelation, but just the series ending coming to its natural end, which is definitely not what Mike McGann, the showrunner, He did not feel it was coming to its natural end. He's kind of basically said that at this point. So so I don't know if it's trying to control the narrative, but it does feel it feels odd like, as you say, but now that's what everyone's going to be talking about as the new season launches. So in terms of the show itself, it also feels premature. I mean, I'm not, like you said, I'm not surprised because it does feel like Paramount plus and Paramount in general are there, and there was all this merger talk that's going on. They're trying to there's been a lot of layoffs, they're trying to say, trying to save money anyway they can the Star Trek brand.
Speaker 2: For the guys up top of course, millions of dollars for their bad decision that cost people their jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, oh well that's but those guys they deserve that. So yeah, but but uh, it feels like Star Trek, the sort of modern age of Star Trek on TV is kind of coming to an end.
Speaker 2: Also, Yeah, because there's good I feel confident that there will be some change ups when any of sky Dance takes over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know that a priority for them is to get another Star Trek feature film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense. It's the it's the it's a name franchise, right, So and yeah, I mean in terms of TV Star Trek, what what's left, what's changed the world? You know, it's still got you know, two and a half see. But like in terms of new stuff, we've got Starfleet Academy and then that's it, right, So unless they green light another new Star Trek show, we've just got the Starfleet Academy thing, which is this great, this big, unknown and kind. So that's quite It's quite different from where we were not that long ago, where we had how many shows we had? Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy, Strange Worlds we had like five shows.
Speaker 2: One of the few good things that come out of the streaming boom, you know, when everyone was just throwing money at streaming.
Speaker 1: Good good ish, because there was yeah, I mean, yes good, but there was some real there were some real highs and some real lows in that yeah, in that run. Also, Yeah, and I'm nervous about Strange New Worlds. We're in bargoed to talk about the new season. I've only seen a couple of episodes from it so far, but suffice to say that I'm nervous that it's not continuing the trend that season one. Season one was was awesome, Season two was Season two was good, and I'm not sure we'll see where season three goes. But anyway, that's that.
Speaker 2: So we can talk more about season three to Stranger Worlds later. But I saw them as well, and my sentiments are similar to Scots.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, so, and the other thing is just even story wise, like it always felt like Strange New Worlds was. The whole idea was it would eventually I think Akiva Goldsman had even said like it was meant to, like, uh, eventually catch up with the original series.
Speaker 2: Right, And I'm curious to see how they do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like how can they? Can they still do that with the shortened Hey, what's up? I just heard footsteps behind me. I was like, what the heck? No one else is in the house.
Speaker 2: Then I tell you his plan to bridge.
Speaker 1: I realized my kid, My kid came home, has had the English regents today, so he's done. He's done early. But most people listening don't know what the regents is. Do you do you know about regency? What is that? It's a state. It's a it's like a final example, but it's a New York state thing that they do in high school where every kid in the state takes the same test.
Speaker 2: He changed the conditions of the test.
Speaker 1: He does have an apple in his hand right now. So anyway, Okay, so that's it for that. You want to move on to do what?
Speaker 2: Let's move on. An episode that never disappoints, it still holds up more than thirty years, arguably the first great episode of d S nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, start a run of good ones too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Like I don't know if this is where they found their footing necessarily, but the tone of this episode would carry on throughout the rest of the show in terms of type of quality and drama you can expect. Yeah, it's such a great judgment at Nuremberg esque concept, like what would happen if you had to defend your worst enemy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much, right, and you.
Speaker 2: Were responsible for their life, This person who you believe is responsible for so much death in your life, you're responsible for theirs. What would you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to.
Speaker 2: Put Kira in that situation with someone who she believes that the Kredassian involved in a terrible, terrible moment in the occupation of Bejor, turns out to be something not that to where by the end of the episode, she's grieving the loss of this man who she couldn't wait to die at the beginning. Yeah, some of the best acting in Star Trek history.
Speaker 1: It's great in.
Speaker 2: This best acting on television at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, going at it like, yeah, it's Eric Yellen.
Speaker 2: Just in a just world, he would have been nominated and won a Supporting Actor Emmy. You know it's so good or excuse.
Speaker 1: Me, Yeah, let's let's break down the plot just real quick for people who haven't seen it. But it's essentially a freighter ship arrives at Deep Space nine I think or a passenger ship, uh, and there's a someone on board who's suffering from this medical condition that the only people who have this medical condition were present at this Bajoran labor camp during the Krdassian occupation because of a mining accident. It turns out that it's this it's this Cardassian who they think is this guy. At first they think it's this guy Maritza and Kira is loaded to bear and ready to go at this guy because she figures if he's a Cardassian and he has this disease or he has this illness, he must have been working at that labor camp, which means he's guilty of at least being complicit in the atrocities that were committed at this labor camp. But from there it becomes this really twisty, turney question they put it. They throw him in a jail cell there, and periodically Kira is going in and kind of interrogating slash debating with this guy. And then on the on the other side, Kira and Odo are kind of investigating and Cisco to some degree or investigating this guy's past and trying to figure out who he really is, and he kind of adopts several identities over the course of the episode, as we the viewer don't know who he really is either, and eventually it escalates to the point where we turns out we think he's not Maritza, but instead we think he's the goal who ran the labor camp, who is this sort of like, you know, really awful figure who who just delighted in the murder of Bajorans, and a real turns out he's not. He was a file clerk who has just suffered for so much guilt over the years because he was there high, as he tells it, hiding under his cot, covering his ears to try to drown out the screams of the Bajorans. So he was just a guy who was who was drafted, I guess, and and felt his has felt over the years like such guilt for not doing more to try to help the people who you know online is he probably couldn't have helped any of these Bajorans, right, Like what would if a flop file clerk try to intercede and help, you know, prevent the killings, what would happen? He would have probably been arrested and executed by his fellow Kardassians. So and so, Kira has this arc of really going from hating this guy, as you said, to feeling compassion for him in the end because he has this breakdown in the end, and and you think that's the end of the episode, and that could kind of could have been the end of the episode. But she the final moments and it all happens pretty quick. The final moments of the episode, she and Odo and Maritza are leaving. They're going to like try to get him the help he needs, I guess, and he's free to go. End up, Bajoring appears out of nowhere and stabs him in the back and kills him just because he's a Kardassian and like Kira, you know, Kira is like, you know, that's not you know, he was just a guy. You know, he didn't deserve to die. So a lot happens in the forty five minutes of this episode, and it's all really great stuff.
Speaker 2: Amazing episode. And to go from thinking this is the butcher of Gala tep right two, Oh my god, he doesn't deserve this fate. Yeah, it's just it's magnificent writing, it's magnificent acting. Yeah, some trivia on Duet Scott. Do you remember in twenty twenty two the mini controversy that erupted Now this episode was pulled from the streaming service.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what happened? I do kind of remember something about that now.
Speaker 2: It so it was moving over to Paramount Plus and it just wasn't there. And the official line from Paramount Plus was, they tweeted on April fourteenth, twenty twenty two, We're sorry we don't currently offer season one, episode nineteen of D Space nine as part of Paramount Plus due to streaming rights. Please check back often, as we're always working to make even more available to you.
Speaker 1: Why would there be any.
Speaker 2: Exactly and then Ira Steven Barritt chimed in on the same day, don't fuck with Ira duet missing in action. That's a hashtag star trek DS nine snafu. For the record books, Peter Allen Fields would not approve. He wrote the episode he would not be surprised, but he would not approve, and then immediately following his tweet, Paramount Plus replied, sorry for the miscommunication. There was an issue, but our team was able to get the episode back up and available to stream, so there's no It's still unknown exactly what it was, but apparently streaming rights was not the issue.
Speaker 1: That's weird, even though.
Speaker 2: They said it was and that it's not a miscommunication, which is corporate speak for we aft up. We said something we probably shouldn't have said. Yeah, we didn't expect they want to make us think about this. Was there something going on at that time in twenty twenty two where.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was gonna I was going to try to somehow tie it to the politics of by the Biden was in office then, right, so doesn't Yeah, I don't know, I do know that. Did you watch that? You watched the new season of the rehearsal?
Speaker 2: Right, no, I have not yet.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, well, there is a whole thing. There's one episode where Nathan Fielder realizes that an episode of his one of his.
Speaker 2: Shows was Yes, I read about that Yeah.
Speaker 1: Was pulled from Paramount Plus. He does not give Paramount Plus any any room to navigate around either. He's he goes hard on them about this, and it's this weird thing where the episode apparently the episode was pulled for I think it was quote unquote anti semitism in Germany. Now Fielder's Jewish, talks about how he was raised Jewish, and I don't think there's anything anti Semitic going on, but like for some reason it got flagged in Germany and then it spread like all these other foreign Paramount Plus outlets pulled it as well, and eventually it pulled in the United States too, So I wonder if there's something weird like that. But I wanted to say real quick about Peter Allen Fields. He was one of the early because I was just reading the origins of Deep Says nine recently, and he was one of the early guys who was in the in the bullpen with with Iras Stephen Burrer. He really helped build the show in the early years, and he didn't eventually, I think was let go for some reason. I don't know that. I don't know the details, but he was I think, sort of a mentor figure to iras Stephen Burr in some ways as well. He was he was older, he's he has since passed. So yeah, it's cool that Ira shouted them out like that, but I think he meant a lot to him also. And yeah, I mean, like here we go this episode, you had like one of the greats which would after this, This was the penultimate episode season one. After this we get I think it's called in the Hands of the Prophets, which is.
Speaker 2: The Yes, this is another great episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the school bombing episode with kai Win or Vedic Win at that time, I think. And then from there we go.
Speaker 3: Into that great three parter season two opener U Circle, the Circle U of the Siege, I can't remember, the Circle of the Siege and the something something Great Ones. Richard Bimer shows up as the hero of the Bajoran Resistance, who's a guy who happened to kill a Kardassian while he was taking a bath. Like he did, he becomes glorified and a legend and it was just through a happenstance. He happened to kill this famous Kardassian and he doesn't want.
Speaker 1: To want the glory or the role he replaced. He replaces Major Kura on Deep Slace nine, he doesn't want any of it. Great stuff. Frank Langella plays a Bajoran in that as well.
Speaker 2: Interesting plays a very interesting villain.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's a good chunk of episodes right there, really like differentiating them itself from the next gen at the time as well. But on Duet, you know, I wanted to just say real quick, like that the point where uh yulan uh, it's near the end where he's he's trying to act big and bad about all the crimes and atrocities he committed, and Kira is picking away at it, but she realizes that they figure out that it's he's not who he says he is, or that it doesn't make sense, and he starts when he starts to break down and say, like, you know, like the what we said earlier basically about the hearing the cries of the victims and hiding under the cot and everything is such a great acting moment, like it's it's it's just so strong and and no visitor who's obviously younger than him, but she she's just right there with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's why she this amazing performer. Like both her and him should have been nominated for Emmy's just like this should have been their Emmy reel, but sci Fi was not is not. Yeah, it is not in that conversation as much as it should be. Yeah, lessons for HBO's type stuff. Yeah, absolutely, that three parter kicked off with the Homecoming, then the Circle, then the Siege. We're gonna have to do. I think we need to explore those three episodes next. Yeah, because those are amazing.
Speaker 1: We should.
Speaker 2: We should so some trivia on on this great episode. The working title was The Higher Law, and it was pitched by writers Lisa Rich and Genie Carrigan Fauci, and it was based on the simple conflict inherent in the idea of someone having to defend their worst enemy. Michael Piller would later recall that quote duet was pitched to us by two of our interns who wanted to do something about a war. Criminal about that in the context it was pitched, it didn't turn me on the idea of a war criminal found aboard d S nine seemed to me to be an interesting concept, but at first it seemed to me to be a judgment at Nuremberg Court show. Since the first season via Sign had already included a court episode of Decks, the writing staff didn't want to do another too soon, right, But eventually they turned their mind around on that thanks to Iris Stephen Bear. He gave us the twist where the guy isn't who he says he is, but he is doing it for more noble reasons, which was inspired by a stage play, Robert Shaw's nineteen sixty seven stage play, The Man in the Glass Booth, which tells of a Jewish man accused of being a Nazi war criminal, and that man was played by Leonard Nimoy.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay interesting? Huh Hey did you say one of those interns names were was Fauci.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kerrigan, fau Ci I had.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's why the episode got pulled?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate to even say it. I don't know that would be a really.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if this person is related.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sure they're not. Okay, surreal, Okay?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 1: Who directed this one?
Speaker 2: James Conway is that Jim Conway. Yep. Okay, so he did a great job for an episode that doesn't have a lot of opportunities for dynamic camera moves. He made it riveting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, yeah, for sure, I know this. There was one cool moment where Cisco is in Odo's office and he's like, I'm going to go in and talk to the prisoner, and that they don't cut. They just pan over to one of Odo's security monitors and then you see what appears to be Avery Brooks because it is a CTR monitor like Deep say, unlike next Gen Deep STA's nine uses actual TV monitors a lot of the times, and it is an actual, like closed circuit image of what looks to be Cisco walking into the cell. But it's one continuous shot. Now, whether that is actually Avery Brooks or stand in because you only see him from behind, I'm not sure. But if it's actually Avery Brooks, and that means that the jail cell set has to be right behind Odo's office set, because Cisco walks through the door and within a couple of seconds he's on the camera walking towards the cell. Whim merits it is But I thought it was an interesting shot that the director pulled off was again, as you say, he doesn't have much much room to play with stuff, and it was like just a different way of seeing even like the architecture of or the layout of Deep says nine in terms of oh, the cells are right behind Odo's office. I guess something else. I know this when we were watching this, which is not specific to do it necessarily, I don't think, but like when they a lot of times when they when they're because there's some back and forth with Goldacott at times, right and he's always only on comms talking to them from Kardassia, I guess whenever they shoot shoot Goldacott on the view screen, it's like the tabletop view screen card what Cardassian tabletop view screen. It's like almost like a canted angle. It's not a straight on shot of the view screen. It's like the view screen is kind of down here on Odo's desk or something, and they shoot it at kind of an angle, so it's almost like a skewed perspective. It's not just a flat square in the in the shot. It's more like it looks like gold Decott's almost he almost looks warped because it's like a weird angle of a TV screen of Goldacott talking. It's like a little touch, but I thought it was interesting. It's another way they differentiate themselves from the way Next Generation was always shot, which was which would never have have done. It would have always been the cards a little like laptop device and they would just cut to a close up of that, you know, so.
Speaker 2: Right, and uh my chat with the Okuda he talks about why playback video playback graphics like that were so cost prohibitive on TNG, but as they moved to DS nine and and Voyager, they became more popular to use.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, yeah, because it was.
Speaker 2: Very costly, very costly process at the time, and and a very arduous one. Akuda would have to generate graphics on his computer, his Macintosh too, and then drive it from Paramount to Warner Brothers. Warner Brothers had a proprietary tech that allowed it to be transferred to videotape and then drive it back down. You got to take his computer with him.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay? Is t I ninety four a yeah?
Speaker 2: His mac Yeah, his massive Macintosh too. The irony of making twenty fourth century computer graphics on that future computer's precursor that's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I think on the on the next gen battle Bridge, I think they had video playback.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, the battle Bridge was got a big update, big upgrade for for best of both worlds, and they had the money to do it because it was a finale. So that's why you see all those video graphics spinning behind.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, but I cut you off. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna say some other uh, some cool trivia on uh. On the episode, it's the first mention of the Chakhar Resistance cell.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, right, right right, it's not even clear that Shakar is a person yet necessarily I don't think either, right, No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh now, Visitor and arm Insurance Night this is cite this as among their favorite episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Shimmerman said that the writing and the directing and the acting all coalesced perfectly, and Visitor said the action comes out of big issues on this show. There's action and intrigue with the writing. Really, lets us deal with issues. Were not embarrassed to commit ourselves to as actors and people. Duet was a wonderful episode and bear on the season one DVD special features if you have them, check out the interview he gives about the episode. He says, I'm very, very proud of this show, not in the sense it's a show for all humanity, that it was a fun show to work on. You had a character who was larger than life and living and reveling in his evilness. It was just a blast. It was a lot of fun to write. Yeah, Yeah, it's just it's really good and the DP Marvin Rush talked about Jim Conway's direction, saying that he came in did a great job. He was real professional and had a difficult episode because it didn't have a lot of action or movement. Yeah, and also of note, a special screening of this episode was held at the Museum of Television Radio Broadcasting in Los Angeles as part of its annual celebration of TV that is considered to be of high quality. Yeah, and it still is and forever will be.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing, right, Like, you don't have to have phaser battles and spaceships and all that stuff, right and like, and as long as the performances and the and the writing are there and have the conflict that you you need to tell, good drama that's the important thing, right, And so I think that I think that's something maybe some of modern modern Star Trek hasn't gotten a message on at times that we don't need to have like insane CGI space battles all the time. Like I mean that stuff can be cool, but like not the not at the detriment of the other stuff, which is more important, you know.
Speaker 2: So, and it's also amazing that this episode largely exists due to budget reasons, right, Uh they are the production approached Peter Fields saying, do us a favor, write us an episode doesn't cost us any money, so sure will do And I paraphrase Hi, but he said, so you go off and you're like shit and you say yes to your boss, but you're dying a death of a thousand cuts, right because of what you put yourself into. How do I do this? Can't spend money because Emissari costs a ton of money. Yeah, and the season finale was coming up, so you had to basically do this one act yeah, fort play. Yeah, it's a there's no B story in this episode. It's all a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're right, Yeah, Yeah, that's right. Uh, it's a Yeah, it's a classic bottle episodes that you right, getting close to the end of the season, we need to need to put you know, tighten our tighten our belt a bit and like you all right, it's a great episode.
Speaker 2: Uh, all our condolences to Heshlan's family and friends. Yeah, an incredible actor. Was an amazing body of work Ghostbusters to clear in prison danger this I was like, solid actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was looking at this credits. I had forgotten he's in Night Moves, that Gene Hackman movie.
Speaker 2: Yes he is, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which you and I both watched great.
Speaker 2: Gene Hackman performance and your wife watched that recently.
Speaker 1: I had watched it a few months ago, but I know you had also just watched it not that long ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, for the first time. I watched it last year.
Speaker 1: It's definitely that's a that's a definitely worth checking out, especially with you know, obviously Hackman passed as well not that long ago. It's an Arthur Penn picture. It's a sort of a sort of a modern day film noir, you know, sort of a neo noir. I guess. Yeah, it's a Yeah, it's really good, young, very young Melanie Griffith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's got a problematic plot point in.
Speaker 1: It, involving a young, very young Melanie Griffith. Yes, it does. Yeah, but that's a minor, kind of a minor part of the the bigger picture.
Speaker 2: But it's a it's a it's a solid performance from Hackman, and it's an interesting it's an interesting noir film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all right, you want to you want to move over to the replemat maybe.
Speaker 2: Sure, Well, let's let's headle over the Replemant. Scout, I got I got something to share.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to the Replemant to get something to eat. What is it?
Speaker 2: I recently acquired the new four K Sean Connery James Bond movie collection.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, these.
Speaker 2: Films have never looked better, and they obviously it's it's a brand new scan of I believe the original thirty five millimeter camera negative and it retains the film grain very well. Wow, like to the point where you're watching the opening titles A Doctor No, and you can see the fuzziness of the optical effects.
Speaker 1: Like that's how really.
Speaker 2: Exact this transfer is. They look beautiful, they sound great. It's the best presentation of these classic films you're ever gonna have until we start getting eight k Imax in our homes. So that's my recommendation.
Speaker 1: Well what is so wait, how many films are there?
Speaker 2: Uh? It's Doctor Now from Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball which looks amazing. That was my that was my personal favorite. You Only Live Twice, okay, and Diamonds Are Forever.
Speaker 1: So six. So that's that's all the Connery movies, not in.
Speaker 2: All the Connors. And it was like ninety four bucks if you if you pole to afford it. It was one hundred and thirty four or something when it around that price point when it initially was announced. But uh, okay for ninety.
Speaker 1: Four okay, and that obviously doesn't include Never Say Never Again, which is it was not an Eon Well that's.
Speaker 2: An unofficial Uh, it's a Winner Bros. Release These you're the MGM catalog.
Speaker 1: My apologies, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah you should be.
Speaker 1: I don't think i've seen Never Say Never Again since like the eighties when it came out, like to.
Speaker 2: Watch it back when I was at IGN and when the Blu ray came out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, dude, I just yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, is it better than If You Do? Is it better than Octopusy the competing Bond movies of that year. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, see I've rewatched more times than never say never again.
Speaker 1: Wow Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Connory was I think younger than Craig was at the time of doing.
Speaker 1: And yet and yet he was considered you're too old, too old? Yeah right, yeah, huh, that's funny. Okay. I'm gonna go with and apologies if I've recommended this in the past, I can't remember, but I'm going to go with The Loaner, which is this Rod Serling TV show that nobody remembers it was. It was his the show that he did after The Twilight Zone. So The Twilight Zone ended after five seasons, and Serling decided to make a Western with Lloyd Bridges. It's called The Loaner and it aired Twiletson ended in sixty four. The Loaner aired in sixty five sixty six. It only ran for one season because the network CBS was expecting shoot him up western with gunfights and you know, bullets flying and horse races, and instead they got was Rod Sterling doing his introspective, philosophical moralizing ship that he always did on the twilights on too, which is he's like using the Western to like explore the human condition and all that jazz. And so Lloyd Bridges plays this guy who's just who's a Civil War vet. The war has just ended and he's just wandering in the Old West. Goes every episodic every week he goes from town to town and meets new people. You know, it's Bill Bixby the style, the Incredible Hulk or the Fugitive style, where it's every week he's in a new place with new character, new supporting characters. What's the show call against Goott the Loner? Nobody's ever heard of it. It's not pretty cool, it's great. It ran for one season. Serling Fote fought with the network, publicly fought with the network. He would call the network exec out on his bullshit, but the network exec wanted less talking and more gunfighting and stuff, and and so it went. It only lasted for one season. So the reason it's on my mind is because I just wrote an article about it on IGN, which you can check out. Just google the loan.
Speaker 2: You got to write an article about this for IGN?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, get it out. And so I was rewatching some of the episodes to prep for the article. So it's been on my mind. But it's on Amazon because it was only one season. It never was syndicated, so it slipped into up because back in the day to syndicate the show you usually need it I think at least eighty episodes or I can't remember the exact number you needed to set one hundred, so you needed several, which I don't understand because the original series of Star Trek was under one hundred, but that syndicated. But I think you're right. I think the number usually was one hundred. But anyway, the Loaner only had like twenty I don't know, twenty four episodes, and so nobody remembered the show. It wasn't well received at the time. It was never syndicated. It played on TV Land for a short period back like the nineties or something, so there were some VHS recordings floating around, but that was it. But the Shout Factory finally released a DVD of it a few years ago. So it's on Amazon. You get it for twelve bucks for the whole whole season, and there's even a little short behind the scenes featurette look back documentary which is, which is interesting worth checking out. So if you're on Amazon, it's on Amazon twelve bucks or at least when I checked the other day with twelve bucks when I was writing the article, and for the whole season, so it's like fifty cents an episode basically worth it and uh and it's good. You can see where a certain point late in the season, Serling seems to have maybe lost lost to steam because and he he not, he doesn't. The last patch Up episodes are not written by him. They're written by other writers, which is fine.
Speaker 2: It fall through ye this episode called man Trap.
Speaker 1: Yes there is, yes, yeah. Oh and the Homecoming of Lemuel sto Stove features Brock Peters, who would eventually play Ye Papa Cisco and and also Admiral Cartwright as well. Right right, uh, well, you know what, because of what it was, it was, it's it was a night aired nineteen sixty five in nineteen sixty six that season, there's a lot of Star Trek people, Star Trek adjacent peeple are involved, like Joseph Pevney directed some episodes, who directed episodes of the original series. A lot of the act A lot of familiar actor faces show up that who will also show up on on Star Trek like you know, it was just it was that was the time period people making TV. You know.
Speaker 2: So also Alexander Courage and Jerry Goldsmith provided music.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, yeah, that's right. Yeah, young Lloyd Bridges of the young Jeff Bridges both both show up for an episode each because their dad was the star and uh, it's interesting stuff. And it's Sarah who was like, I don't know how commonly known this is, but serling, you know, he fought World War Two, as did everyone from his generation. Basically he came back from the war pretty pretty well fucked up. I think it's one of the reasons he became a writer and he explores a lot of that stuff. Like you guys can't see this, but Phil's dog just showed up on screen here. Yeah he's like dad, Yeah, time to end this podcast. So anyway, anyway, Sean Connery, Bond, the Loner, dig In when you guys can both highly highly recommended.
Speaker 2: Thanks for shure, Scott. I like learning new stuff from your replomat pics.
Speaker 1: It's like many years ago, my buddy, my buddy from high school, was like, Scott, why do you like things that are old and my wife is. To this day. My wife always like makes fun of me about that. She's like, well, yeah, you like things that.
Speaker 2: Are old taste.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, you know so, But that'll do it for us, I think, right, yes.
Speaker 2: I thank you for listening. Thanks to the late Harris Yellen for all his amazing performances. Yeah, thank you Scott for doing this with me. It's always fun talking about DS and I especially this episode.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Go check out that Phil's chat with Okuda over on Patreon. It's going to be a two parter. It's well worth it.
Speaker 2: And until next time, game, We'll see you on Gervide Island.