Speaker 1: One three one Austin dot Com.
Speaker 2: One O three point one Austin's eighty station. It's the JV and Sandy Show. All right, thanks for being with us. My name is Sandy, This is JB.
Speaker 1: Hello, Trush us here.
Speaker 2: Too, Hi everybody, and you can give us a follow on Instagram at JB Sandy at X. Also on Facebook, the JB and Sandy Morning Show. And if you missed the show at this time yesterday morning, you may want to check it out on social media because it was a very conversation, very funny conversation about corporate jargon, and we were just rattling off all the corporate jargons that we could think of in conversation.
Speaker 1: It was very funny. Can find it on our social media again.
Speaker 2: It's Facebook, The JV and Sandy Morning Show, Instagram, JB Sandy at X. So you know, we didn't talk much about it, guys, but a fellow Texan and former heavyweight champion of the World, George Foreman, he passed away. So I went down a little bit of a rabbit hole about George Foreman and watched a couple of his fights, and I watched one because he said someone once asked him who the hardest he ever been punched, And he said it was guy by the name of ron Lyle was his name, And so I watched the ron Lyle George Foreman heavyweight fight from like nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 1: Then just doing this whole rabbit hole thing. Check this out. Did you know that George was making five million dollars a month from the grill?
Speaker 3: Wowow, I knew he made hundreds of millions.
Speaker 1: I didn't think about it ongoing.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, George forman grow was still a thing.
Speaker 3: It is, Yeah, yeah, it is. I've a few years ago to put in my airstream.
Speaker 2: Right there's the whole mark that dorm rooms, college kids, small apartments, studio apartments.
Speaker 1: All the van life kids. Yeah a lot. Right now.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know how long a van life last, you know what I mean, like, when does it start to suck?
Speaker 3: Because it's got to start to ask that Potito girl. That was a fan life thing that I'm getting off subject here, Tamy.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when we had George Foreman on the radio show? No, yeah, we had him on and he was pimping the grill.
Speaker 1: He was clearly not in person, because I would remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was on the phone, and he could not have been nicer, and he was great. And I told him one of my favorite stories about my grandfather and he laughed very hard at it. And you guys have heard this story a million times, but my grandfather, I told George Foreman, the heavyweight champion of the world, at one point, I told him. My grandfather was a professional boxer. And the funniest story about it is that he was in a fight once and he went out in the in the first round. The fight was in Madison Square Garden. First round. He goes out and just gets his face cave in, gets knocked down two times, gets his nose broken, his eyes swelling shut, and he goes back to the corner and he sits down on the stool and his brother, my uncle, was his corner man, and he was like, Hey, you're doing great. You're doing great. This guy hadn't touched you. This guy hadn't touched yeah. And my grandfather spit out his water and looked at him and said, well, keep your eye on the referee, because someone's beating the hell out of me. Keep your eye on the referee. And George Foreman laughed, and he just he thought it was.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: I don't think he'd ever you know, he obviously never heard that before. But what a great dude too. I mean, what a guy that changed his life. He was a miserable, angry young man.
Speaker 1: Movie. Did he go broke at some point? No? No, he George always broke. But uh man?
Speaker 3: And then do you know if he chose to take a royalty deal on the former grill instead of a single payday?
Speaker 2: I believe he did. He got a piece of every Is that what a royalty deal is? Is you get a piece of every part sold?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, instead of just like a lump son he said. No, it's kind of like Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Kevin Learry's always bringing up royalties on Shark Tank. Yeah. I never knew what he was talking about till right now.
Speaker 3: Say y'all take a dollar till ROI and then fifty cents of per and perpetuity stuff like that.
Speaker 1: For the unwashed, for the unwashed.
Speaker 2: ROI means return on investment, so I get paid back.
Speaker 1: I watched a lot of Shark Tank. I don't know crap about any of them. I'm just throwing out for you.
Speaker 4: Still smart, still smart, and you watch it you Sandy, your anti get paid on the back end because you got burned by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been that deal's never worked out for me, never ever, ever has it worked out for me with different things that I've tried. And maybe I didn't do a very good job or do my piece of it, but it's just take the money. You take a bird in the hand. It's true, take it.
Speaker 3: My father always says I never lost money making a profit.
Speaker 1: There you go, yep, there you go.
Speaker 4: Y'all know that the story about Matt Damon and it maybe Avatar right that James Cameron offered him a roll and.
Speaker 1: He couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: He ultimately decided he couldn't do it because he was filming The Born, one of the Born movies. But he said that Cameron offered him like ten percent of the royalties after the fact, and he was all, if I do it, I'm not going to take that. Meanwhile, that would have equated to like billions of dollars a billion or some hundreds of millions, some ridiculous amount saying number Yeah, Matt Damon was like, I will always be the guy that said no to all that money from James Cameron.
Speaker 2: He's all right, are those deals like normally like the things I said that where they've never worked out for me it was like no money at all, only back end. A lot of those deals are like a decent amount of money plus the back end. Right, like that Matt Damon wanted to go make the movie for nothing.
Speaker 3: Right, I think legally they have to pay something because of SAG or something like a minimum wage. Now it's not I'm just acting like I know what I'm talking about again when I don't.
Speaker 1: That's to be. That's ninety nine percent of this gig you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Also, shout out Lady Longhorns onto the Sweet sixteen. They're gonna play Tennessee on Saturday in Birmingham, Alabama. They whipped a snot out of Illinois the other night, and the ladies are good. They've been ranked number one in the country. I think they only lost two ball games all year long. I think they did not lose at home all year. I think I heard someone say that that's remarkable. It's huge, huge. So this could be the year of a national championship for the Lady Longhorns. That would be awesome. I mean, can you imagine tele go nuts. Even though none of them go to a Lady Longhorn game, they'll still.
Speaker 3: Go crazy start because you know, women's volleyball is on the rise too. Yeah, I think that's an amazing sport to watch. And so then they have a good program too, and.
Speaker 2: UT's got the best venue for it at Gregory Gym, I mean school and just like a really nice old gym.
Speaker 1: And we went to a game a few years.
Speaker 3: Gregory was completely revamped from the time I was there.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it since I don't know, nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Those ladies are so incredibly athletic. When you watch them, how they move, how they jump in the spike, it's incredible to watch. And women's pro volleyball is a big deal. We've got a team here in Austin, so a lot of good athletics. Women's sports come a long way. Well if you knew that, but it has Trisha. Oh, by the way, before Tricia tells us what we got coming up in the story, we love coming up. Give me a little leeway here, but right around seven twenty five this morning, be here because JB has found the funniest thing that we've seen on the Internet in years.
Speaker 3: For me, it's fun when you find it and people haven't seen it already, which is harder and harder to do because when things go viral, you're like, oh, yeah, I saw that. It's you know, it's it's weird how social media clips. It's kind of like the way, you know, how we used to always go, oh, did you watch Friends and Seinfeld last, and chances are they did. It's kind of getting that way with some of the funny viral videos, like oh, yeah, of course I saw.
Speaker 1: That, or like you're just not seeing it. I saw that like two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one right, this one I don't think has caught on everywhere yet.
Speaker 1: And man, tears to my eyes.
Speaker 2: I watched the funniest thing I've seen in years, and we've got it for It's not it is a video, but it's it's very, very, very audio friendly. You'll get It's not like you need to see the video, but it helps. But that's coming up probably around seven to twenty five. Give us a little leeway either side of that, and coming up next, Trisa's going to share with us the story that we love.
Speaker 1: What do you have? All right? I hope.
Speaker 4: This is not a sign of how the economy is going to continue to go. But door Dash has a new option for you when you order from him. And I'm going to go ahead and say, right now, this does not sound like anything anybody should do at all.
Speaker 1: Oh, all right, what could it possibly be? We'll find out.
Speaker 2: Coming up on Austin's eighties station one O three point one and streaming on my heart radio app.
Speaker 1: It's the JB and Sandy Show.
Speaker 2: You can listen online at one O three to one Austin dot com.
Speaker 1: Coming up in.
Speaker 2: About fifteen minutes. The funniest thing that we've seen on the internet in years. JB found it and he turned us onto it, and we've got it for you. And I would bet you haven't seen this or heard it yet, but I can see a lot of people copying it, you know what. They are doing it themselves for the laugh. I don't know, we'll find out. It's coming up.
Speaker 1: Brave.
Speaker 3: It's a brave, funny thing to do. Like I don't want to give away too much, but.
Speaker 1: It's something we would have thought of in nineteen ninety nine. Yeah, you know what I mean. It's something we would have done. It's you think it's a very Andy Kaufman kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's a great way.
Speaker 1: To describe it.
Speaker 2: All right, stay with us, that's coming up in about fifteen minutes. Don't forget grab the podcast version of the show if you can't be here for the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Law all right.
Speaker 4: So door Dash is teaming up with the company Klarna.
Speaker 1: Have y'all heard of Klarna k.
Speaker 4: L A r NA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the that's the payment.
Speaker 4: It's like financing, like, yes, financing, flexible payment company.
Speaker 3: If you want to buy If you want to buy a set of golf clubs on Klarna and pay fifty dollars a month, you can do.
Speaker 1: It's definitely right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But are these the same people that like the five easy payments of six ninety nine.
Speaker 4: That you see, you know, like I think they do stuff like look, if you need to make five easy payments of six ninety nine, you're dumb at You're broke ass shouldn't be buying whatever it is?
Speaker 1: Well, listen, at.
Speaker 4: Least you did would have had like an item in your hand. Door Dash is teamed up with Klarna, so you can eat and pay the bill later. You can choose to pay in full. You can split it into four easy payments if you'd like, or you can post on your payment until your next payday for food for door dash food.
Speaker 1: And what's the rate on this? What's the rate on this friendliness? What's that meal costing you?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: On door dash and at McDonald's.
Speaker 4: If our daughter will get like a twenty five dollars door dash gift card and order for McDonald's and it's thirty bucks, so probably with like fees and.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: If you've choose to finance your cheeseburger, it's gonna end up being like fifty right.
Speaker 3: Is there anything more American than financing fast food?
Speaker 1: You're financing your taco cabana.
Speaker 4: I mean, gosh, sad, feel like you just need to not eat it. If you got to split your cheeseburger up into four easy payments, there might be a need for it.
Speaker 1: This is so fun. I was just talking to my daughter, she's twenty three. She has a.
Speaker 3: Friend who does short term loans through her all the time, like a payday loan. She goes, yeah, I just charge them all, say I'll give you the money, I'll vendmo it now and you just pay me back an extra ten dollars.
Speaker 1: She does it like every week.
Speaker 2: She's got here. I'm friends like that too. Their last name was Italian. I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 1: Carlots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they had car lots that they didn't sell any Carlot cars in once you got here's a loan shark.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And one of your daughter's friends is doing this. My daughter is loaning the money to him all the time.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, she.
Speaker 3: Gets like, she goes, Yeah, I just round the number to ten to fifteen dollars, pay me back next week.
Speaker 1: You want to do? What interesting? What if they don't pay her back so far they have? Yeah, I don't know. Maybe you need some collateral.
Speaker 2: Here, he need give me a call. I know some guys break an arm, break it, but I do a guy. I went a hunting trip with the guy that owned a bunch of on shops in Austin. He sold them years ago, and he did pawns and he did loans. And I asked him. I was like, how much is an average loan, you know? And what's the what's the deal? He goes, the average loan, most common loan that we give out every single day is twenty bucks. I go, Mike, Well, I go, really, he goes, yep, twenty bucks. It's normally for a guy that can so he can get enough gas to get get to work. And then either the next day or the day after, they come back in and they pay me twenty five dollars and.
Speaker 1: They an item, right, he didn't.
Speaker 2: He did a lot of them on signatures, and he had a lot of repeat guys. And he said, but it was twenty bucks. And he said, they always pay. They always always come back and pay, and it's just short term little loans. There's a lot look there, I learned a lot back when was it two thousand and eight with the big financial crisis. There's a lot of big companies that take one day loans to cover pay They get a one day loan just to make sure payroll gets covered, and then they pay it back the next day and pay a fee.
Speaker 1: I mean, the world of finance is a weird place.
Speaker 2: But little it sounds like, oh, ROLLI Hager's got a pretty good business.
Speaker 1: You have a little storefront soon.
Speaker 2: I sort of kind of like that. So, uh, when does this door dash thing roll out?
Speaker 4: It might be it might be rolling out right now. It says they're trying to compete with Walmart. I was like, still though, it's cheeseburgers, it's food. But if it's not happening right now, it's happening soon. You just got to be really careful with payments, hit and fee stuff like that.
Speaker 3: I see it all the time on like a like an Amazon purchase. Yeah, it pops up that you could spread out the payments.
Speaker 2: Is a restaurant going to do a fast food going to do something like if you run a mile here, we'll give you a free cheeseburger. Just show us on your phone, show us on Strava that you ran here, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Or walked something.
Speaker 4: I just remember like Kmart and Layoway.
Speaker 1: Does anybody do layout? Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Lolway, I love the fact that you could have something on Layoway and I would want to go and visit my item.
Speaker 1: Whenever I was in the Kmart. You really, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: But it was just torture to know that it was there and you had two more payments before you could get it.
Speaker 1: Was layaway interest free because you didn't have it. I don't know, I wasn't paying it. This was like when I was a kid. I don't know is layaway interest free. I don't have no idea. I don't know. I think it is.
Speaker 3: I think you just spread out the payments and then when it's paid off, you get the item.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you know text us at seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred.
Speaker 1: Is that all you got on that story? There, scoop, that's what I got. Well, look at you. You listen to the entire thing, So I want to give you. That's a reward.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I want to give you a shout out. So if you listen to this entire thing, send us a text at seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred. That's seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred, and just type in I listened, and tell us your name and we'll give you a shout out on a podcast later this week. All right, So just text us seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred, tell us your name, and just say I listened. This is kind of an inside thing for you. For you folks that listen every single day and listen to the entire thing, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Have a great day.