Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. You can't do whatever it is you're doing here. You need to leave. I told you no talking going takeoff. That's a classic line. I can't believe there's a universe. And I wouldn't know that my dad had a water buffalo.
Speaker 2: Named Gary Hoffman, that my mom had a friend named Shannon Farren.
Speaker 3: What a name.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is my new favorite show, Gary and Shannon. You say that about every show.
Speaker 1: This is fun. I am having funny monynny like this energy. Do you remember this video from yesterday. I'm still changed by it. Boom boom boom this thing. Oh my, you know what that was? That was something we can't talk about until eleven.
Speaker 3: He call it his sweeper train because it sounds like the block traffic, like morning pole vault situation.
Speaker 1: Hey, school's back in session, that's obvious. Yeah, I mean the traffic this morning was hellish. You texted me, You're like, it looks like i'll get there about eight fifty eight, and I'm like, I didn't want to write back. Well, It's going to be a real ding dong because I'm right behind you.
Speaker 3: Sweeper train on the southbound I five in the morning commute. Caltrans. I love you guys. I love some of the work you guys do. Let's make smarter decisions about when we run sweeper trains and which direction of traffic in which we run sweeping unbelievable.
Speaker 1: The other thing I'd like to talk to Caltrans about is when you put a text up on the light up board at full freeway speeds and the text is with regards to don't text and drive, Then why are you texting me? Whatever you do, don't read while you're driving.
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: How what? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You guys?
Speaker 3: Now you can turn it back up Jacob if he's even in there, because it's some because I figured out on the computer. Yeah, today is my daughter's twenty second birthday.
Speaker 1: Wow, how are you doing? So? Your daughter is as old as this.
Speaker 3: Jacket in the state and she's celebrating her birthday for the first day without you.
Speaker 2: Without me. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, you're going to go see her tomorrow. Everything's fine. How are you feeling You said something that you were going to be emotional with her moving out of state.
Speaker 3: Until I see her, and then like, so you're going to be a wreck for Chicago.
Speaker 1: Part of it great, I need you to keep it together.
Speaker 3: So here's the other thing is I started packing for Chicago. We're going to be at the Democratic National Convention next week. Started packing for it, and I was like, you know, what, should I take some running shoes. I'm not going to run through downtown Chicago. I don't know enough about the city to be like, oh it feels safe here.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you'll be fine. If anything, you'll go to the hotel gym. That's what I That's what I expect. I think you should bring comfortable shoes.
Speaker 2: Yes, well I also have comfort comfortable shoes.
Speaker 1: Okay. I was wondering if we should bring pepper spray? Is that the US?
Speaker 2: You don't want to take it on?
Speaker 1: And then am I allowed to have it? Is the other thing? Or is it like I done in that you confiscate these things from me? Secret Service might not want you to have it in the venue, right, But I'm talking about when we go seek out the protest. We're just walking around, right Yeah, people are yelling alo akbar and yay hamas yay hamas yas. That's a new chant I haven't heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could carry it there.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to some We have some people who are sourcing some things for us.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know about that big news.
Speaker 3: Mars, the company behind M and M's, has agreed to acquire Kelenova. It's behind Cheese It's and Pringles and all.
Speaker 1: The super process that I enjoy.
Speaker 2: We're you to talk about something seriously, right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: I wanted to talk about Kamala Harris leading Donald Trump on honesty and discipline. This is an ap Nork Research Center survey and it found that nearly half of Americans would describe Harris as committed to democracy and discipline. She's in love with all of the polls because she hasn't done anything yet. You know what this is starting to remind me of because they're being so protective and they're being so careful, and they're only they're only emanating enthusiasm and excitement. Joy, don't forget joy, enjoy. Everything's very controlled and everything's scripted. It's reminding me very much of Sarah Palin before she was exposed. The difference all rallies. It was look at how pretty I am. And I know it sounds sex sist of me to make the comparison, but she had similar catchphrases.
Speaker 2: I totally agree.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a great point, and the difference is there's a larger fall. I was thinking about this on the way in today and thinking about soue fla. What when a soue flet And I'm totally gonna butcher this because I don't know what anything about it. You have no idea how to make a sue flat, but if you don't do it right, it collapses. Right, Yeah, Okay, So that's all I know about souefles. This right now is a sou fla candidacy without a discussion about policy, without a discussion of what ownership she's going to take when it comes to Biden to Biden Harris accomplishments or or problems or whatever. She's not doing that. She's not getting down into the weeds yet. She could. But in the event that she does a sit down interview with anyone and we start to see some cracks in that, joy start to recognize there are no clothes. I'll take your dessert analogy and I'll run with it. It's like merangue. There's nothing inside that smart soue fla is just going to collapse in on it, so boom, and then we're left with again to the unlikable candidates.
Speaker 1: Chocolate that sounds good. You know, I don't want you to get into traffic anymore because then you come up with things like soue fla and now I'm going to be thinking about a soux flay for four hours.
Speaker 3: Additionally, four in ten respondents in that poll said that Kamala Harris cares about people like you three and ten. For Trump, she has jumped in front of him in a couple of different poles. I mean, the La Times has a big poll today about oh huge lead among likely California voters. Tell me something I don't know.
Speaker 1: You see these numbers though, these poles, and you think, why would she sit down for an interview. She has nothing to gain.
Speaker 2: Not yet she doesn't. And here's the thing.
Speaker 3: The timing of this convention I think is important because we know that she's going to get a bump from the convention. That always happens, and if if she can ride that for a couple of more weeks, maybe then she gets into debate territory, and she can bring that joy and enthusiasm or whatever words they want to use to describe the campaign into the debate, which would be the first time that she'd be challenged on this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean they they're going to ride this wave as long as they can before they have to get and get down and do some actual paddling.
Speaker 1: Look at all analogies. My god, you're firing on all cylinders. I mentioned Kamala Harris is reminding me of Sarah Palin in two thousand and eight, and I went back to try and figure out the timeline and I ran into the Katie Curic interview and that's when things started to unravel. Right, it was the first sit down interview. It was preceded by heavy media scrutiny over the McCain campaigns alleged unwillingness to allow press access to Pelin.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, so yes.
Speaker 3: Now the difference there's another difference, which is Katie correct. Well, depending on who they choose, they being the campaign, depending on who they choose to sit down with Kamala Harris, She's gonna get a pretty easy interview probably, and Sarah Palin didn't now that's not to say that I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so. I think she's got to be pressed on some things. And Katie Couric so Katie correct what I from what I remember, was masterful about it. I mean, they went in with the whole bologney of Katie's a working mom. She admires you as a working mom, that whole thing, she's just like you. And pressed her on specifically Alaska being close to Russia and that counting for foreign foreign really experience again, and she did and she just didn't let it go. And I mean I think that I think with Kamala, when she gets caught in a word salad, it's going to be I mean, yes, I agree with you. So far, the media has been trying to shield democracy from another Trump presidency, and so they've been very easy with her and with the whole situation, the whole down, the overthrow of Joe Biden and everything. But I think that it's it's going to be so glaring if they let her get away with something that it's going to be laughable. I mean, the media already right now is laughable and it's handling of this.
Speaker 3: But well, how long did it take them to acknowledge the fact that Grandpa was getting old. I mean that that's an example of just recently how bad things have gotten. And I wonder if that continues. And then the timing I was thinking about this is I was walking down the hallway. Another sweeper train in the.
Speaker 1: Hallway, by the way, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: If she does and she had said something, was it last week? You know, I'll plan something before the end of August. So she gets up, she's she's got the joy and enthusiasm. Now she has the convention coming up next week. If she does an interview before the end of August and then turns around and does a debate on September fourth, I would say that she runs the risk of having whatever she says in the interview come up during the debate, like don't give all of If she does this, she's going to give the reporters whoever's hosting the debate on the fourth and former President Trump a lot of ammunition to deal with if she gives more and more policy answers to these questions.
Speaker 1: The Palin interview did not air until September twenty fourth, two thousand and eight. Okay, and unrad.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So next week Democratic National Convention, We'll be doing.
Speaker 1: The show live from Chicago. Next week.
Speaker 3: Nearly one hundred organizations are already planning to protest in Chicago outside the DNC. A report authored by NGO Monitor Non Government Organization Monitor highlights how some of these groups are aiming to pressure Democrats into adopting anti Israel policies. And these are groups that are not only just the ceasefire groups. These are groups that are yay Hamas, he is your cheer, the yay Hamas groups.
Speaker 2: They're in favor of baby.
Speaker 3: Beheading and burning and raping and pillaging and breaking people.
Speaker 2: That's what they're in favor of.
Speaker 3: The groups like Code Pink, Palestinian Feminist Collective.
Speaker 1: I'd love somebody to explain that to me, the feminist and the gaye for Hamas, it makes no sense.
Speaker 3: Students for Justice in Palestine Chicago, American Muslims for Palestine Chicago, and other pro Palestinian groups. One group, in fact, called the Answer Coalition, was recently behind a violent protest in DC. Another one, Samadoon Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, is an Israeli designated terrorist group that is working as a charity out of the state of Arizona. So all of these things are going on in Chicago next week. There's some questions also about which groups happened to be funding this, because it's not cheap to run a protest of that size.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm kind of conflicted on covering these protests, Okay. I mean, on one hand, we want to see what's going on. On the other hand, I don't want to give these people any oxygen.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't have to. We don't.
Speaker 3: I mean outside of what I just did, we don't have to mention the groups. Yeah, I mean that's the thing that kind of gives them the.
Speaker 1: I mean unless s goes down. I don't want to like talk to them about what they think and what you know, because you could, you know what they're insane. Yeah, we don't have to do the obvious things.
Speaker 3: So anyway, that's that is, uh, that will be fun.
Speaker 2: Chapter of twenty twenty four I was reading last night.
Speaker 3: I totally it's printed out all that stuff about the sixty eight Chicago convention, and it was very interesting because it was all about Mayor Richard Daly, who was apparently very swift with an F word, and I mean all of the F words, not just the the f U words, but he one guy got up there and said, you know, we shouldn't have to have this the National Guard on the streets of Chicago, and Mayor Daily from his perch screamed out across the conference to the convention floor. F you you well anyway? What fing f Oh? Wow, that's a good one. Van drops in Yan you're a Jew or something like wow, good old days, right good. When you could just yell that on the convention floor and then remain the mayor of the third largest city in the country.
Speaker 1: Well, I heard today that the superintendent there with the police in Chicago is like, I'm not going to wait till things get out of hand. As soon as something becomes an issue, I'm going to squash it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's similar to the language that he used in sixty eight, which was we're going to beat these hip He's something along the methu uf and f Yeah.
Speaker 1: Both presidential candidates are sent to speak in North Carolina this week. Former President Trump bringing his Republican campaign to Asheville later this afternoon for a town hall focus on the economy. More than thirty percent of Americans field the economy is the most important thing on the ticket. Kamala Harris will outline her plan for the economy and a speech in Raleigh, North Carolina, Friday.
Speaker 3: Hey kids donat the candy, said police in New Zealand, Oh is this the meth candy? Trying to recover chunks of meth that the local charity gave out.
Speaker 2: They were disguised as candy.
Speaker 3: Auckland City Mission handed out the candy that looked like individually wrapped pineapple flavored boiled suits. They had been donated by a member of the public. According to the chief executive of the charity, they were actually small blocks of meth. Each weigh about three grams. Now, I don't know the math on meth. I don't know the meth math. They said three grams packs up to about three hundred doses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't need a lot of meth.
Speaker 3: Three grams though, that sounds like it's a tiny, tiny amount and you get three hundred doses out of it.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know. I don't know drugs because kids don't take drugs. Drugs are bad. You can't take them anymore. It's not the nineties. They put a fentanyl in them now and it'll kill you. No, no drugs are recreational anymore. They can kill you.
Speaker 3: They're not recreational. Their serious business. Yes, Blue Jay's over the Angels last night six to one. They'll play again six thirty. Dodgers beat the Brewers seven to two behind four home runs. So the Dodgers in Milwaukee take on the Brewers again tonight. First pitch is at five to ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galvin Rotors Broadcast Booth and stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Use that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Coming up in the next hour. Scott Peterson is talking about his case. He says, I was in I was in a hole back to the old defense asked an answer at Scott Peterson, but will tell you what else he said in that documentary. The other a hole that we wanted to catch you up with is convicted killer Alex Murda. Remember the legal scion connected going back decades in South Carolina with his family that has served in legal circles. Forever. He may soon be getting a new murder trial after the Supreme Court there overruled a previous ruling that the jury in Murda's case was tampered with.
Speaker 3: Yeah the January ruling, the South Carolina Supreme Court Chief Justice informed the jurors of one of the court clerks, Becky Hill, the alleged tampering, but said that there was insufficient evidence for a new trial. Because the Supreme Court Chief Justice went through all of the transcripts, said she couldn't overturn the verdict on the strength of some fleeting and foolish comments by a publicity seeking clerk of the court because they didn't persuade the juror's minds. Now, what allegedly happened was Becky Hill at some point told the jurors don't be fooled by Alex Murdoch's emotional testimony. The reason she said that, allegedly is because she was going to make money from her book called Behind the Doors of Justice The Murdoch Murders.
Speaker 1: I always liked those court flies that want to write a book about a big, high profile trial.
Speaker 3: Two things. Her book was never published. She decided to pull it because she admitted plagiarizing part of it. She also quit her job, even though she says none of this ever happened.
Speaker 1: Murdoch convicted of killing his wife, shooting and killing Maggie Murda and their twenty two year old son Paul at their home on twenty twenty one. And the real cruel twist of this one was it looks like he killed his wife and son to get sympathy because he was about to be found out as embezzling millions from his law firm right and wanted the sympathy and so that people would It was a shell game. Look over here at my dead family, and don't look over here at all the money I'm stealing.
Speaker 3: He's already been sentenced in state and federal courts to twenty seven years in state, forty years federal for the dozens of financial charges. He's serving two life sentences there in South Carolina because of this and this new Supreme Court ruling. The motion that his attorneys said in response to the original ruling from in January, said that there was insufficient evidence for new trial. The Supreme Court listened to his attorneys who said, this is wildly important. It's international news. And we need to make sure that the integrity of the South Carolina court system is upheld. So at this point, the attorneys get to go back in front of the South Carolina State Supreme Court and argue for a new trial. It's not a guarantee, but at least they're going to go argue for a new trial.
Speaker 1: Why are you trying to freak me out with this next story? Just why are you trying to freak me out? Saying it happens to all of us? Yeah, but it's happening to me right now. Apparently. I mean, like this morning, it's happening.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I love Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: Thank god, it's nine o'clock and you know what, it's Wednesday. Yes see, thank you, thank you, thank you. Just make it a great show. Like always, Let's beat it. Everybody kicked everybody's ass. Thank you, love the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well you heard him. Let's kick everybody's ass. Kick some ass Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Morning, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to let you know. I'm sure you saw it or heard about it.
Speaker 4: I was cooking dinner last night and all of a sudden, the familiar voice comes from my TV and I'm looking at Steve Gregory lucky.
Speaker 2: Did you guys announce this yesterday?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, she was amazing on Fatal Affairs yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay, so anyways, good job Steve, Thanks guys, have a great day. I was like, I can get his phone number two.
Speaker 1: I want to know more about those birds.
Speaker 5: Shannon, this is Kathy from March County.
Speaker 1: I love your show. Yes, I just have a question.
Speaker 5: You just mentioned you are going to be broadcasting live from the Democratic Convention in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is all.
Speaker 5: It will be fun to listen to. But was there a particular reason why you did not go live to the Republican Convention? And I'm just wondering if it's maybe sorting out the but the political preference that the show might have. Kat is a question.
Speaker 1: Thanks, I'm glad you asked.
Speaker 2: Yes, good question.
Speaker 1: No, we planned to go to the RNC all along, but the sales department did not pull it together, did not sell the show to get us there, so that is why we did not go, And they got it together for the DNC.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I guess if the deadline is different, then they don't feel so bad.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hey, I don't care about the protesters in Chicago.
Speaker 2: I don't even care about the convention.
Speaker 1: I care about the food. Are you guys going to have some deep dish pizza?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna have a.
Speaker 1: Chicago style dog? Are you gonna go to Manny's DELI tell me I just got diabetes.
Speaker 2: Just like that.
Speaker 3: Well, your body changes, you know, as yeah an age.
Speaker 1: Middle age often associated with midlife crises internal tumult Uh. There's a new research project out of Stanford that tracked age related changes in thousands of types of molecules and microbes, and they discovered that shifts in their abundance, either increasing or decreasing in number, did not occur gradually over time, but clustered around two ages. The changes clustered around the ages of forty four and sixty, So me and you essentially okay.
Speaker 3: Three to six months, they were taking these oral, skin and nasal swabs sounds like fun, as well as blood and stool samples, sounds even more fun. On average, they observed they were observed for a relatively short period, less than about two years. They were healthy, they were from diverse backgrounds, and they said these changes in molecules related to cardiovascular disease. The metabolism of caffeine and skin and muscle were observed at both of those ages roughly forty, roughly sixty or roughly mid forties, and then roughly sixty for participants in their mid forties. For example, the marked changes included those observed and molecules related to the metabolism of alcohol and lipids.
Speaker 1: It changes in your mid forties.
Speaker 3: What happened to the recreational couple of beers at a barbecue can really affect you the next morning more than you realized. I mean, there's something to be said about when you're twenty five. You could bounce back from a hangover, you could get back in game the next day.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is, it's not the same. That's why this convention is going to look very different from the last ones we went to eight years ago. For those in their sixties, notable flut fluctuations were observed in molecules related to immune regulation, kidney function, and the metabolism of carbohydrates, go ketos. The breaks on that pizza.
Speaker 2: Bro it was the bread.
Speaker 3: It was all I guess there's bread and pizza.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 3: The changes observed in their forties have they broke down the studies results by gender. The authors found that the shift was also observed in men in their mid forties. That discounted the possibility that the dramatic changes would be accounted for by menopause or perimenopause in women, and they said, it makes sense you refer to molecules that observed shifted observed in both sexes.
Speaker 2: In the mid forties.
Speaker 3: People who do a lot of exercise realize that when they hit their forties, they're not quite able to do the same as there were in their twenties.
Speaker 1: Now that's a real, real hard thing to to understand. It really is. It's like when I went to go play that game of pickup basketball. I would have no problem doing that in my twenties, and then you realize, oh my god, I am that age. I am that age where I cannot do the exercises.
Speaker 3: It's what I've noticed is I can't just get up off the couch and go do a thing ten miles right that came.
Speaker 1: I used to be able to do that. Now I'm super.
Speaker 3: What do you call it, deliberate about doing some sort of a warm up, trying to stretch afterwards, all of that stuff. Because I noticed a huge difference when you don't do that right.
Speaker 1: The stretching is really the game changer. If you're not stretching in your mid forties and beyond, even if you're not exercising, just give up. But I mean, just do it, first thing, last thing in the day. It's going to make such a difference, I promise you.
Speaker 3: I have had many conversations with myself in the last couple of days of if I'm going to watch TV. I showed you the video of my dog watching TV last night. I was sitting in a chair. Soon after that, I realized I should be sitting on the floor stretch, trying to stretch, even if it's just a little bit, right, because my old bones.
Speaker 1: Do you need some help? You need some stretches. I can show you some stretches. No, No, I'm good with stretches, okay, because you don't do them a lot. Well you're not. Are you peeking through my window? I just know I can tell all right, Coming up, I can do a pigeon pigeon posts, pigeon posts. We'll do some pigeon poses in the break. Coming up next, LA's fault system renewing concerns about more earthquakes. This is a Debor Mark special.
Speaker 2: I hope she's listening on the way.
Speaker 1: I know you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lap