Speaker 1: We're all owned by the Syndicate, body and soul.
Speaker 2: Or should I just say body?
Speaker 3: Hello, filthy movie lovers, something weirdos, and anti-criterion bros, to the 45th episode of The Sin Syndicate, which can always be found on a border's end cap, and will always go to bat for the big snatch. My name is Gentry Austin, writer and researcher, and I'm here with my co-host, adult film historian Casey Scott. And in this week's episode, we will be returning to the early aughts for a look at the DVD era, specifically the legendary partnership between Image Entertainment and Something Weird Video. a collaboration which brought many of our sexploitation faves to disc for the very first time, jam-packed with extras and carefully programmed with thematic double and triple features. We're going to be talking with someone who was there, Nathaniel Thompson. Someone who has been in the trenches fighting for B and Z grade movies since the earliest days. He's a frequent contributor to home video releases and is the webmaster and editor in charge of our favorite website, Mondo Digital. We are super excited to chat with Nat. But before we travel back in time, we've got another guest lined up. Eli Oldsberg from our podcast network partner, Punk Vacation, has graciously agreed to spend half an hour of his very busy Sunday with us to recap a special sexploitation screening he attended at the New Beverly Theater in Los Angeles. We will let the conversation speak for itself.
Speaker 1: Enjoy.
Speaker 3: Hollywood california.
Speaker 4: Yeah i uh i'm recording from the new beverly bathroom coming.
Speaker 3: To you you never leave.
Speaker 2: You live in the walls it's a crawl space situation you're class kinsky and then yeah you're bad ronald you're bad ronald you that's right beverly is yeah right Yeah, so a little background.
Speaker 3: We wanted to bring Eli on to talk about a double feature that he saw at the new Beverly Theater. I don't have the date off the top of my head. It was a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 4: August 17th, literally six days ago.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay. Less than a week ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this was a 60s movie. uh sexploitation double feature of the thrill killers ray dennis steckler and psychedelic sexualis or on her bed of roses are two titles it goes by yeah i.
Speaker 2: Don't know where the psychedelic sexualis came from because i feel like it's a made-up title it's psychedelia it's it's psychopathia sexualis right that's the title on the poster Right.
Speaker 4: But on the print, it says psychedelic sexualist.
Speaker 5: That's the funny part.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that was a way to distance themselves a bit from like getting sued for mentioning the book. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, possibly. Totally. Who knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Zuck Smith. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, just tell us about your experience. I'm always curious about the crowd at these things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one was about– now, I don't remember how much we talked about this when we had a– I know when you guys were on Punk Vacation, we talked a bit about Eros like here and there. And Casey and I are talking about like doing something later in regards to this, not just Eros but like repertory programming with not just adult films but roughies. I actually think like this particular brand of sexploitation is harder to sell than if you were just showing hardcore. Because, I mean, the example I think of is when they did the double that Agfa put out as the Blu-ray. They had the Prince of the Defilers and Smell of Honey Swallow Brine. That was the lightest of the bunch that time. And it shocked me. But I forgot it was like a holiday weekend. It was raining. It had all the elements you could think of that worked against it. So without hyperbole, I think 20 to 25 people topped. So in some ways, it did recreate.
Speaker 2: That room, not great.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Because that's about a 230 cap room or 225. So, yeah, it was like a 20% turnout if that.
Speaker 5: And so 10%.
Speaker 4: But it.
Speaker 2: Was one night only, right? So I guess that's kind of worse, actually.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: And this one was a one night only. So I use that as a metric of– and this one has a little bit more, I would argue– Putting Ray Dennis Steckler's name is the closest thing you can get to a marquee title in this double. Because I think even amongst the devout of cult cinema, even this is– Steckler and Milligan, those can be pulls for people. And I feel like Steckler is an even harder sell than Andy Milligan actually.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Honor of Red and Rose is a pretty deep cut for sure.
Speaker 5: On top of that, yeah.
Speaker 2: How are you going to sell that? Nobody cares about Zucksmith unless you're doing Touch of Evil, which was this big thing that he lived on for a long time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, let me back up real quick because you mentioned hardcore is more or less like an easier sell. I wonder if part of that is because it's easy to understand for an audience. Like, look, I'm going to go to see a hardcore movie with people fucking, like, you're going to be able to see everything. With these movies, I think it's still not completely understood by a more general audience that, yeah, like, why are these people having sex with their clothes on? Like, what's going on, you know, at this period in time?
Speaker 5: Oh, absolutely.
Speaker 4: And I think also, I don't know how many people who go to repertory theaters in general. And here's the other thing I'll say is, the new Bev is, if you're going to do this, this is the only place I think it can really even stand a chance. I think if you do this at any other theater here, unless you have like some kind of celebrity presenter, like if John Waters is presenting something or, you know, something like that, um, you'll, yeah, it's already dead in the water in my opinion. So I think the new Beverly, obviously, cause they have grindhouse Mondays. They have, And, you know, they obviously have a lot of cachet with that for a variety of reasons from the programmers and obviously from the owner.
Speaker 3: So I mean, these didn't get an intro, did they?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they do. So they always get intros from either. Oftentimes it's not special guests. If they have someone who like worked on the movie that happens to be there, they'll they'll bring them up. But for the most part, it's usually whoever's working the box office that night, which it was Jeff, I believe, was the person who introduced it.
Speaker 5: But yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's Michael Torgan or the other, I'm forgetting the third person.
Speaker 5: Beck, I believe.
Speaker 4: So they'll have a list of notes. And depending on who does the intros, they're usually, they'll have a lot of notes about them. Most often the print quality, because that's what a lot of people who go to the theater care about. So they'll let you know like where the print quality is. And with these being mostly black and white, I think, you know, Thrill Killers is what, like three minutes of color. Obviously that was- That was a nice reddish hue. But otherwise, you know, with black and white, it's just more some wear and tear. And I would say the print quality for both of these were actually really good relative to they certainly weren't struck anytime recently.
Speaker 5: And by recently, I mean 30 years. So, yeah.
Speaker 4: And so I guess to answer your question, Gentry, just to go back for a second in terms of turnout, I would say this was about half full.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So it wasn't a bad turnout at all. No, not at all.
Speaker 4: And if you spread that and because, you know, obviously not everyone's not sitting together, they're spread out. It actually does feel like you're in a more full house than it is.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So and as far as the audience, I do wonder, you know, I don't know how they see. the value in a program like this, other than like, it's something fun or it's, you know, I don't know how much of their context. And, and I guess to, to talk more about the intro, sometimes there isn't context about like how these films performed or what that, you know, sometimes there is for the most part there is though. I, I, I, I'm just not remembering now if this intro had much about beyond saying who Zug Smith was obviously working with Orson Welles and obviously Ray Dennis Steckler and what they're known for. And then they obviously provide like a great trailer pack with both of these. It was some Zugsmith trailers like Confessions of an Opium Eater.
Speaker 1: Oh, Lord.
Speaker 3: And what was the other trailer? Well, that at least provides some context.
Speaker 5: It does. No, it does.
Speaker 4: I think most people going once they have that, they should know what they're in for. And obviously, I still think some people don't. There were– and the Thrill Killers at 70 minutes, nobody– Nobody left for that one. But, you know, given that Honor Bed of Roses or Psychedelic Sexualis is longer. Yeah, that's that's had a full, you know, this cut, though, felt and maybe you guys can answer this because I actually I've had the DVD.
Speaker 5: I've had it for years. It's still sealed.
Speaker 4: And it was really great to not have to pop it open, to be honest, because.
Speaker 5: I never got around to it.
Speaker 4: It's like it's such a battle to even get to my DVDs now from the V.S.
Speaker 1: Side.
Speaker 4: I don't upgrade them very often, but like if something screens here and it's obviously an excuse to not have to crack it open, that's great.
Speaker 2: Is it Incredible Sex Revolution? Yes, actually, I believe you're right. Which is also terrible. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It is paired with that one.
Speaker 4: And the reason I didn't, I will usually try to watch the second movie on my own. And the only reason I didn't is I saw it's actually on like Fossum or one of the Tubi or something. So I'll just watch it there. So as far as this cut goes, it did feel about five minutes shorter. And I don't think that was because of splices.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Um, and I know on the back of the case, there's something about it being like a hot version.
Speaker 1: Um, yes.
Speaker 2: And he did that first. I think he also did that for incredible sex revolution as well. And I feel like there was another one. He did a four too. I think it was to get more, I think it was to get more play in other areas that would be more accepting of that type of material. And then that way he could, he had a, it's kind of like, um, Oh, gosh. Like, Saturday Night Fever was prepared in a PG version.
Speaker 5: Oh, God, yeah.
Speaker 2: For, like, TV and stuff and for reissue so they could get more play. And for this situation, it's kind of similar, where it's just like, well, we can have a hot version that we know can play in, like, larger metro areas, but then in, like, more conservative areas, we can just have this basically an R-rated version rather than, like, a soft X.
Speaker 3: Version, essentially. Right.
Speaker 5: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: So I wonder what version you had then. I guess you probably had an R-rated version, potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely was the cooler version because if it was shorter– it's just funny what hot and cool means when you're talking about hardcore versus like in this context.
Speaker 2: When you're talking about Zugsmith, like how much hotter can it be? Those movies are not that.
Speaker 1: 100%.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're not that hot in any version.
Speaker 2: They're– They're not that great. Yeah. So I think it really is just, it really is just kind of like, well, this is hotter and it's, I don't know, some extra tits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think what it would have been. Well, that release has, it has the soft scene outtakes as like a separate. a special feature you could look at. So you could see what the soft version is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, you do have a curious now that disc.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got, I know it.
Speaker 2: Is a long time ago. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hate both movies on that. Well, not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Most people, when I went to this double who had seen it were like, when, with thrill killers, everyone was like, you know, the people who like, like it, like it.
Speaker 5: And I, I did enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had a great time with it. I mean, it's often considered, steckler's most polished uh i put that in quotation marks but it is considered as like most polished and the closest he got to making something that looks like anything you would find in any other you know uh where was i going with that with like like if you did a um uh like if you wanted to screen this for someone who's never seen something by steckler obviously i guess that's and that's yeah that's.
Speaker 2: A good entry point yes absolutely because that's even more accessible than like incredibly strange creatures is something that i think people know from MSC3K. I think Flue Killers is kind of like reminds me of like the sadist or it's something that you could probably show someone. but then they see our tall junior and anything else. And they're like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 1: Right. Right.
Speaker 5: No, totally.
Speaker 4: Like if you watch why I, um, I actually have never seen wild guitar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I've never seen it in its entirety.
Speaker 4: I actually, I have the, Oh, it's just off kind of a camera here, but I have the Steckler box set. And, um, I, I remember I tried watching it. I was just too tired. So that's why I stopped it. And the transfer is magnificent.
Speaker 2: Um, It was good when Something Weird put it out. I think they had the negative to that. I think they had OCN or the original negative. So when that came out with the choppers, the choppers looked bad, but Wild Guitar was stunning. And you really get a good idea of what a good photographer Steckler was. I'm not someone to give Steckler a lot of credit for anything. But he also photographed Day of the Nightmare, which is very well photographed. Or maybe it was Scream of the Butterfly. I think it was Day of the Nightmare. But he was a very good photographer in black and white. His stuff is really crisp and clear and very well lit. So, yeah. And you see that here, by the way, his movies go on, they get progressively less well photographed.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The values and other things for sure. I don't, I don't disagree with that at all.
Speaker 1: Right. Right.
Speaker 4: You know, here, like, and, and this is part, thankfully because it's far enough in the movie that the, the print, you know, where as usual with these kinds of prints, the beginning and the end is where you see the most wear and tear outside of the real changes. And yeah, You know, that scene in the in the when he goes back with the woman to her apartment and there's like the the the flashing lights outside that are making it flash inside. You really get a great idea of how skillful Steckler is with a camera and those kinds of things. That's like beautiful stuff. And, you know, we were talking about how much this moves even in the last. 10 minutes where you kind of start feeling the padding, which is also where he becomes the Marlboro man. Like he gets on a fucking horse with a cowboy hat.
Speaker 2: Another one. He cannot avoid showing up in his own movies. He just can't. You're never going to have him not show up in one of his movies in some way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And, and boy, does he really like, like milk that, that horse budget or riding the horse and, and, But I have to say, it's even his padding in this movie, like what I wrote in my Letterboxd review is that it's an artistic accomplishment how Steckler pads this out.
Speaker 5: Like, it really is.
Speaker 4: Like, even his padding is an art form in this movie.
Speaker 5: And that's not even hyperbole. I mean, it really is.
Speaker 4: Like, you even see, like, the last 10 minutes where he's kind of drawing it out. You are like, all right, well, let's kind of start wrapping it up. There's still, like, some worthwhile stuff you're looking at because, you know, he's out in, like, some Valley out in, uh, probably near Lancaster or, uh, or like, you know, Santa Clarita or something. And, uh, uh, yeah, it just looks fantastic. Even when he's doing, you know, what's essentially becomes like a stage play in the restaurant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the best part.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's well, it's interesting because the, because he eventually would become terrible with padding. Like, yeah, It was interesting how he, yeah, he kind of goes downhill, I think, once he realizes that he can still make a profit with that, with making less effort. It's kind of like he degraded as a filmmaker, because he was just like, well, whatever, I'll make the same amount of money without having to do anything of quality, which is a bummer, because you see the early stuff, and you're like, I don't know what happened there, and that's probably what happened. He was just like, well, the budget's low, I have a little amount of time, I don't need to waste time on niceties in my stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a, that's a pretty, uh, I would say that's 1000% right. Because like what you're constantly surrounded by people who can only give you so much money and they, and they have a, they obviously, even at that level, even though they're not a corporation, they're still going to think like one in terms of profit.
Speaker 5: So it's like, what are you going to, what are you going to do?
Speaker 4: You're just going to, if you hang around those people long enough, you're going to turn into those people, whether you, you know, you even know it or not.
Speaker 5: So That's a really good point.
Speaker 4: I didn't think of it that way because some people like Andy– I guess that's the difference with.
Speaker 5: Andy Milligan too, right?
Speaker 4: Where like he constantly– it was always like from the bottom pit of his soul that he was like plumbing the depths to get out whatever histrionic or no matter what– say what you will, whether it works for you or not. But it is coming from a very, very personal place and at a certain point with Steckler as much as he obviously loves movies and making movies. He probably was just like, all right, well, this is the money I got, and these are the people I'm with.
Speaker 3: This was like his gore.
Speaker 6: Film, sort of.
Speaker 3: He wasn't invested in this kind of movie. He just knew that it would sell, and he could take it on the road. I mean, he roadshowed this thing for a while. That just kind of shows sold little masks and stuff of the Mad Dog.
Speaker 1: Oh, right.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Very old school style, yeah.
Speaker 5: That's right. That's right.
Speaker 4: Well, also he, you know, putting in like the hypnosis stuff that that killed with the crowd.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to say that, you know.
Speaker 2: With the with the little swirling, which is incredibly strange creatures. He already had that. I guess he was like, well, I guess I'll use it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love Incredibly Strange Creatures. Actually, I would like to see that with an audience. I like all the musical. Yeah. Sorry.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think I think it's super fun.
Speaker 4: And I think MST3K kind of put a like like I'm glad we're getting to the point now that if there's enough distance between that where certain movies can now get there, though, I'll say some stuff I watched. Like I remember the the Sumeru one that. blue underground put out the 4k of i'm forgetting i think it's million eyes of.
Speaker 7: Sumaru million eyes of sumaru oh no i i that i was like you know what and it's that's 10 minutes longer that cut and i in my head was like i could have gone with the original cut and the mst3k fellas talking over this and even though even though i think that might have been from the rebooted show for netflix but still i was like it was yeah oh okay yeah but I disagree.
Speaker 3: Do not talk over Klaus Kinski as President Boing or whatever his name is. Just let him do his thing. I don't want to watch.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like the MSC3K of Incredibly Strange Creatures, but then I saw the... And then I picked up the Media Blasters DVD of it, and I was like, oh, it still works on its own. I mean, it's just... It throws everything into it. And it kind of lives up to this poster that promises you the moon. And it's like, well, there really is a little... There is everything in this movie. It's really... Oh, I agree. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I didn't get to see it when it screened here i it screened a couple years ago um and i forget why i missed it but uh but i know that what the one flaw with the print that's available and my understanding this is the only print that anyone knows that exists that is can at least be theatrically played is it's missing a reel a whole reel wow so it's it's it makes it makes a short movie a lot shorter yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah right at that point yeah just play the dcp yeah just play the like nice dcp for that that's fine right i.
Speaker 2: Don't want like if it's if that rail is missing shook out of shape then it's a wrap like i needed i need shook out of shape if i'm going to see it in theater so i i love that Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know which one it's missing. If it does screen again, you better believe I'll be there. It was recently enough, though, so I suspect it'll be a little while. But, yeah, any Steckler that screens, I'll be there, even if it's digital, to be honest. Just because, like, how often do you get to see that in a dark setting with strangers?
Speaker 5: You know, it's, like, the ideal.
Speaker 3: Well, tell us more about what you thought about On Her Bed of Roses.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's right. that is a longer film and it is very leisurely paced for sure.
Speaker 2: Yes. Being nice.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes. I, so I, I gave it, I, I couldn't find them. I ultimately settled on just again to, I hate to do it this way, but just to make it easier to explain it in letterbox terms. I didn't give it any stars because it was kind of halfway between a two and a half and three to me. I just threw it a heart because I did have a good time with an audience. If I watch this at home, absolutely would have been like a two star affair.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I mean? Like I did make it.
Speaker 2: I think that's my rating now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at it right here. You got got two stars.
Speaker 3: Not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My friends that I was with, they they didn't they weren't. They were both– they gave it two and a half from what I see here. And they kind of felt the same way I did. But what pushed it over for me was just watching it with an audience and having to be locked in. Surprisingly, when I got up to use the restroom to check the time, I was actually an hour and 20 minutes into the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that made me think– I forget how long that movie is. And I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: No, I know.
Speaker 4: Once you pass– I was talking to Phil, the programmer about this. I said, you know, when you pass 70 minutes, you really have to kind of earn it. But when you pass 80, you truly not every minute, every second counts.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: In this genre. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You can see the scenes that in your head as you're watching. You're like, this could have been five. Every scene could have been five minutes shorter. this would have been like an amazing 70 minute movie, but 100%.
Speaker 2: I watched too. I watched with an editor's eye way too often. I'm just like, wait, this could have been sliced. This pacing could have been. Yeah. It's yeah. Which it was crazy because I haven't been an editor in a long time, but it's just like, yeah, I'm just like, okay, this could have been tight in the pace. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just, you know, like there's that pool scene where they're like, the two girls are fighting with her dad. And it's just like, they're slapping each other for like, what seems like an eternity. It's like, It just trimmed this.
Speaker 4: It actually got– see, and that's an example of why that played well with the crowd because you could feel the– the audience actually laughed at the moment where you could feel it going too long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And if I did watch it at home, I'd be like– I'd be the same way. I'd be like, can we wrap this the fuck up? Like what is going on? But there we all kind of laughed at how we were being held hostage by it.
Speaker 6: Yes. That's kind of fun.
Speaker 4: But every time I still to this day, when I see something like that, I get fucking locked in. I'm like, all right, you know what? I think people I think people are being too hard on this. Let's fucking party. But then naturally, 30, 40 minutes in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the crazy thing is, though, like this is the guy who was giving notes to Well saying Touch of Viva was too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then his self-indulgent stuff. He's like, oh, no. Yeah, let's let it be as long as we need. Good God.
Speaker 5: That is, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's over a touch of evil.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like memos back and forth. Yeah. Like, yeah, not great. So that's where the, that's where the restoration was such a big deal when it happened. Cause it was all this stuff that Zugsmith is like, cut it out, cut it out, you know? Well, yeah.
Speaker 5: I counted.
Speaker 4: So I was sitting in a I have a specific area that I sit in, so I can only see about half the theater at best. And I counted about from my side, I counted, I think, about five walkouts for this one. But here's the thing. It's a Monday approaching 11 o'clock.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: When people are there for something like that, unless it's absolutely pulling them in in a way that they are like, I must stay for this.
Speaker 5: I don't blame them. I totally get it.
Speaker 3: They're like, I saw Pat Barrington do her belly dance. I can leave.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right.
Speaker 5: They're like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, I forgot stuff. I forgot what happened.
Speaker 5: That sequence is fantastic. I love that party sequence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that whole party sequence with Pat and everybody else. That's the best part of the movie. And then it just kind of.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yeah yeah it's right up there with the opening for me and that's kind of where i got after that it definitely becomes more of an endurance because of how that movie is you know also the opening sells a movie that you're going to follow a socially awkward guy that you don't meet again for the most part yeah and the last 15 minutes yeah which in some ways could be a feature in the right hands but it obviously is sure more of a bug here.
Speaker 2: Yes i feel like i feel like lee frost could pull that off because he did some he ran he did like zero and then scream which is similar in several ways. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And if you guys want, if you guys want the first and only thing I bought an advanced ticket for, for the new Beverly in September is that Lee Frost double. So I'm happy to come back and talk about those because I've, I've not actually seen either.
Speaker 5: No pressure, but these are first.
Speaker 2: Time watches about the all American girl, which you have to see.
Speaker 5: I will be going to.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: So I'm actually going to, I, so I wanted to go see cuddly toys to just support Kansas. Cause I really did enjoy that movie, but, Unfortunately, I forgot I had bought tickets and made plans to go see Assault of the Killer Bimbos on 35, which I have not seen.
Speaker 2: That's fun. Yes, that's good. Okay, great, great.
Speaker 4: So it's early enough that I can actually see that, be out of there, and drive to New Bev and still make it in time for All-American Girl.
Speaker 5: So that's my double feature.
Speaker 3: For that night. Yeah, that's a good plan.
Speaker 2: Because that one, seeing that on a big screen would really blow my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's such a good movie. We need all the notes on that screening.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: About the prints, about how many walkouts there are during the snowballing scene.
Speaker 2: I know, the walkouts, I'm worried.
Speaker 4: So that's before the Lee Frost double, I believe a week or two before. So like I said, if you guys do want, I'm happy to come back and talk about all four. We can even throw in bimbos if you want to do a longer chat at some point.
Speaker 5: And like I said, no big deal.
Speaker 4: If you don't, I can just send it in writing if you guys want to just chat about it either or. I just wanted to put that out there because I feel like those are... I, I, I didn't realize I'm becoming a Lee Frost completionist, but it's happening.
Speaker 3: It does happen to a lot of us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah. He's very consistent, which is nice. Like there are very few hiccups across that career, honestly. Yeah. He's very, very underrated.
Speaker 5: So far. So good for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's been a great ride watching Lee stuff.
Speaker 2: Even like thing, but two heads.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 5: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm so stoked for that, too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. The only one I really don't like, I think, is Chang Gang Women.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: And even that has enough points of interest that I wouldn't tell people not to watch it.
Speaker 4: You know, I just told a friend to watch a climax of Blue Power.
Speaker 5: Two people, actually, I know.
Speaker 4: So I can't wait to hear what they have to say about it, because one I know is going to love it.
Speaker 5: The other one.
Speaker 3: That's, that's one that I would be careful about recommending.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Well, I want to see the original version because of course it was shot soft. And then all the inserts were, I don't know if they were him or there was somebody else. That whole thing is, I don't know who would know what happened with.
Speaker 6: That, but.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. It's a really good one. Good stolen music from the Together Brothers soundtrack.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: On that.
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, we love good stolen music. Refer back to our conversation last episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that idea, though, Eli. We will be in touch. We absolutely want to hear about how those go.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys again for having me. This was so fun.
Speaker 6: I could.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we love you.
Speaker 5: As we always say, we could have, this is what we did.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a miracle that we got to half an hour, just about like, I feel like it's truly could have been two plus hours.
Speaker 5: Just talking about Zugg Smith.
Speaker 2: Well, hi. Hello. How are you? Very good.
Speaker 1: How are you? I'm good.
Speaker 2: We've actually never met. Isn't that wild?
Speaker 6: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: This is a reoccurring theme with these podcasts. He runs into people again. He's like, you know what? I realize that we've never actually met, but we've known each other for like 20 years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mobius home video days. Yeah, well, that's like John Charles. We have an ongoing chat with John Charles. And I'm like, John, I've known you for a quarter of a century. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 6: Now, John, I have met.
Speaker 2: That's good. Okay. Yeah, most of them, none of the Mobius people I've met, not even Bruce. And I lived very close to Bruce. But yeah, we never met.
Speaker 8: And i'm bruce i've met many times i know yes exactly bruce is great but uh thank.
Speaker 2: You for joining us thank you for thank you gentry for coordinating this yeah oh well first of all I know I've talked to you about one of your former coworkers, Diana Flaherty. We actually just, she just retired several, a few weeks ago. And the last conversation we had was about you actually.
Speaker 6: I miss her so much.
Speaker 2: I know she was like, well, I remember, I remember when, you know, he left, he left image and I was like crying as we all left him, saw him walk, walk to his car. It was, she was like, it was like, I left, it was, she said it was like she lost a family member. I was like, yeah, I mean, I can see him having that effect on people for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I guess the impetus for bringing you on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Was specifically to talk about sort of your work with image entertainment. Jeez. How long ago was this now? A couple of decades ago. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I roughly, it's like around like late 2000 till 20, like late 2010, I think about 10 years. Yeah, no, I just thought you had like an intro thing about some of those exploitation announcements. I don't know if you were doing that first or how that was going to work.
Speaker 2: Oh, actually, let's do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 2: That's a good icebreaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you saw the sexorcist that you had down. It's not that sexorcist. It's the other one. It's the Italian one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Sexorcist Devil, isn't it? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: The Eerie Midnight Horror Show, Torment, whatever you want to call it. Yeah, it's the other one. Because in the UK, it's called sexorcist. Everybody got confused and they're like, But they already did the Cedricist, the Stegler one.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're doing Iriman and Horus, so I can get rid of my code red Blu-ray, is what you're saying.
Speaker 6: Okay, good.
Speaker 2: Because that code red Blu-ray was rough.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was rough, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, good.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I like the movie. Ivan Razumov is great in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a fun one. I'm glad they're doing it. Yeah, I hope it'll be the longer cut, too. We'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I hope so.
Speaker 3: That clarifies things. Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everybody was like, why are they doing the Stuckler one again? They're like, no, no, no. In the UK, that one's called Sexorcist, and there's two Sexorcists that came out the same year, and people are like, what? It's really confusing.
Speaker 3: It's a hot title. I mean, you put that out, people are going to go see it. You call something the Sexorcist, right?
Speaker 2: One would hope, right? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, we were saying how– you know we're always talking about severin is seems to do well with their sex and horror hybrid films and so that seems like kind of a no-brainer so yeah so i.
Speaker 2: Wish they would go back to the novaks like we talk about that a lot like i'm i want mantis and lace i want kiss me quick i mean.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about him later it's kind of.
Speaker 2: The mad butcher is right there i'm not sure why mad butcher and castle castle of freaks too i mean i don't want it but i'm surprised it hasn't been Taking it.
Speaker 3: I'm taking it.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of biggies that are just sitting there. It's like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we have a lot of, we have a lot of no back to talk to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone who sat in a room with him multiple times.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I certainly did.
Speaker 3: Well, we, um, I talked with Casey a little bit offline about this cause I already know how he feels about it, but, uh, Cherry, Harry and Raquel is getting the next Severn Russmeyer treatment, uh, I mean, I'm just, look, I'm happy that they're continuing this partnership and it didn't fall apart. So that's good news. Is this my favorite Russ Meyer? No, but some people love it. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: You don't know.
Speaker 3: You know my thoughts. Well, I guess, but we haven't heard them publicly, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so my thoughts are, like, yes, I will echo. I'm glad that the partnership is going. But, like, I would have even rather seen Mondo topless than this. Like, and that's barely a movie. It should be. I think the story behind this one is... I mean, it becomes vividly clear when you find out why this movie is such a hodgepodge and so... all over the place because it was barely a movie that had to be saved in post it had to be saved in the editing room um and it's too as i've said it in my letterboxd museum on here a sexploitation focus on a man is always going to lose my interest and this is cherry and raquel are barely in this this is just the hairy show and.
Speaker 3: We get to see cherry walked off set which.
Speaker 2: Is fine Yes, because she thought that he was shooting secret footage of her nether regions, and so she walked off the set. Which is weird, because she was in the blue hour, which is, I think, much more graphic.
Speaker 3: I've heard other stories, too, that she had a dog on set that was shitting everywhere, and she was getting yelled at and upset about it.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised Russ even let it get to that point, actually. That he was like, yeah, sure, bring your dog to the set. That does not sound like... Yeah. Unless it was some kind of contraband pet that was brought on set. But yeah, I just wish it was something else. I'm glad that the partnership is still going. I'm glad that they're still able to work with Janice and the estate. I just wish it was not this movie. I wish it was something else. I would have even taken Finders, Keepers, Lovers, Weepers over this. Because at least that has Ravel Roby and she's amazing. And she'll do an interview because she's around. I think they're going to have Ushi on this release though, because David Gregory posted a picture of him with Ushi, which a mind blower. So at the very least, I guess I have to pick it up because we get Ushi on camera potentially. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know that she's not a central player in this movie, but she has a heavy presence in it. So I can see why she's the only good thing about it. I can see why they want to have her on this release. If, if that's what's happening.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Cause they didn't get it for super vixens.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's, it's going to be an amazing looking disc though. Cause I mean, I, I, I, it's an important movie. I mean, it's a huge mess of a movie, but it is an important one. So it makes sense for them to do it. But I mean, I think they were going to be shocked at how nice it looks. Cause I, my, my, this memory of this movie is back in the late 90 at 99 at the Egyptian here in LA, they did that huge Russ Meyer retrospective. They showed almost everything. And, um, but the, the print that rang was just gorgeous. So this should look stunning. And I always have a soft spot because, um, Charles Napier was there with Russ for the Q and a, and afterwards, I just remember walking out of the lobby and Charles Napier was standing next to me. All of a sudden kitten runs up and she's, and she's like, hi, full frontal scene, Chucky. And like, and, um, and then she made me take a picture of me putting my hand on her boobs for some reason. So, um, yeah, she loves that.
Speaker 2: She loves past tense.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, I, you know, I can't I can't hate the movie just because of that. It's, you know, it's a it's a sentimental favorite just for that reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would make me want to own a nice cleaned up version of that just for that memory alone.
Speaker 3: Just so you can freeze frame the Charles Napier naked nude frontal nudity scene.
Speaker 2: He's not Foreman Shane. He's not, yeah, he's not Foreman Shane. He's not Bill Ratzler. Like, whatever. I came up with my own Juliet on 4K so I can get my Ratzler nudity in 4K and I'll be, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of, have they said if this is going to be UHD or if this is Blu-ray?
Speaker 6: All of them are UHD.
Speaker 3: They're all going to be UHD.
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: Every Myers title is going to be UHD as far as I know. And, you know, they do them in pairs, so you'll have another one.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know what I want. I want common law cabin. That is my favorite.
Speaker 6: Would you call this, maybe is this Russ Meyer's like night to dismember sort of?
Speaker 2: Yes, I would actually. Yes, I would.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: That actually makes, that's, that's a good comparison, except I much prefer night to dismember. There is something much more charming about the insanity of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the fact that the story behind that is that basically like that, Samantha Fox had a swoop in and actually paid to be in the movie. And then it was her money that was financing all the reshoots. I'm just like, that's really crazy. Yeah, really bad on Blu-ray. That's kind of being held up for some reason.
Speaker 6: That makes no sense. I want both versions of that on Blu-ray so bad.
Speaker 2: I do too. The original version's great. I was very surprised when that started making the rounds again. It works. It's really a lot of fun too.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, it's coherent.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh wow, their story beats. It's point A, point B, point C and it meets them. It is very much like a Chesty Morgan. They're like the Chesty Morgans or something. I feel like she became more coherent in the 70s maybe after a certain point. I wonder what the second one would be then. I would love Black Snake too, but they really want to bury that. They want to bury Black Snake. I love Black Snake. I'm maybe the one from person who loves it.
Speaker 6: So it's possible. I don't, I don't think it's off the table.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't say so. Yeah. Like you said, Nate, I think it'll look, I think this movie will look great. And I like a lot of the Russ Myers past couple of decades. They haven't been, I mean, you had to, you haven't been able to easily get them through a boutique label or anything like this. You had to kind of find them on eBay or through the, I mean, is that Russ Meyer? Can you even still purchase them straight from, The Russ Meyer estate?
Speaker 6: I think so.
Speaker 3: I mean, but there's those crazy overpriced DVDs. Yeah, those crazy overpriced DVDs are like $ 50.
Speaker 2: And those are old, old, old. Yeah, like the ones you would want would be the Arrow ones, which David Gregory worked on. So it's like, it's a nice through line of... Those are out of print though, aren't they? They're all out of print. Yeah, so what I'm saying is if you're going to buy them from the RM estate, they're going to be the same gross transfers they put out before the Arrow transfers. At least Arrow tried to clean those up as best they could without having access to like the materials that severance does now yeah yeah i.
Speaker 6: Can't imagine anyone would actually go through the trouble but and until the uhds the servant is um is doing you know until those are complete but the best options out there are probably the image laser discs that they did of the russ meyers because those were actually better quality than the dvds but believe it or not they're actually better because the dvds are like super compressed and really cheaply done in the arrows are fine but they're they're pal and they have like a lot of like blurring problems so like the laser discs are kind of the best game in town you can find them so you seem to have been it's a record shop yeah oh.
Speaker 2: And i guess i should note well something else i don't know gentry i don't know if the listeners also nathaniel is like one of my go-to people for soundtracks his taste is like chef's kiss peerless so like the soundtrack on this the toys of our time is yeah the best original song for a Russ Meyer movie that is not beyond the belly of the dogs. Like that is a great song. Well, yeah, that, that soundtrack is really good. Um, so that's worth it.
Speaker 3: Do you have the soundtrack? Is there a soundtrack single?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's out. It was on vinyl and CD.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think it's streaming too, actually. I think you can stream the soundtrack to this. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. Well, actually, I say the best, and I'm completely forgetting Faster Pussycat by the Boss Weeds, so I don't know what I'm talking about. But it's definitely up there. Toys of Our Time is like, so when I had the DVD, I wouldn't watch the rest of the movie. I would just play the opening credits over and over, which I did a lot. DVD, I just leave the menu on and then just have a song on repeat.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the other film that we wanted to quickly discuss is The rock nights of the living dead is.
Speaker 6: Uh, well, code red did a blu-ray like for like a second.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, they did. Yes. It was really, I remember that. I think that review, that was one of George Eastman, rest in peace. One of his most scathing interviews, I believe.
Speaker 3: They're all scathing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You catch him on it. One day he'll talk shit about Lombardo Bava. And then on a good day, he'll say nice shit about Lombardo Bava. And then the same about like Mark Shannon and all the people who did the porn stuff. Um, yeah interesting guy those interviews are very documentary just those interviews put together i'd watch that oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I totally forgot about that code red yeah from 2018 that wasn't too long ago that's and mark shannon's interviewed on that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's a two-part because they put out that in porno holocaust.
Speaker 3: So that begs the question then is this going to be uhd i mean do you think that they would upgrade that they would.
Speaker 2: That was shot on very cheap 60mm short ends. I think all of his stuff in the Caribbean was. I don't know how good that could look. I prefer Seso Nero, which is where Mark Shannon is given a terminal cancer diagnosis and decides to fuck his way through the island and then castrate himself.
Speaker 3: Or he dies, yeah.
Speaker 2: I do prefer that one.
Speaker 6: That whole Santo Domingo cycle is a lot of fun, though. It's weird, like just the target audience for those movies. You sit there and you're just like, where did these play? And like, what, how did audiences sit through these? Like what's, I think you're getting like a porn movie. And then, I mean, technically you get some of that, but like, I can't imagine it being aroused watching some of those.
Speaker 2: No, this one in particular, rock nights, the living dead is not erotic. You're just showing up. Cause she's like, well, yeah, sure. I'll just, I'll just hang out with Aristide in the Caribbean. yeah that's what it was all about taking his pants off in a sex scene yeah george eastman refusing to do nudity in this film for some reason yeah.
Speaker 3: Well this begs the question too yeah i wonder if they're going to be doing more of the joe caribbean films.
Speaker 2: Listen if the disco at the italian disco stuff can get a box.
Speaker 3: Set then joe in the caribbean.
Speaker 2: Commentary then i feel like we can get a joe d'amato dominican movies yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'd be a hard sell for people. Like, yeah, Sex and Black Magic and Exotic Malice and all those.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like, it's D'Amato, which they already have a lot of his stuff. It's Laura Jemzer, who they already really promote. George Eastman, who they did Anthropophagus and Absurd. I think it's a slam dunk. I think that whole collection would, that's a no-brainer for them, I would think. But maybe we'll be getting that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, let's jump back into image entertainment. You can reminisce about the good old days, Nate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I'm glad we're going to talk about this because I think the home video side of sexploitation is something that gets glossed over a lot, especially kind of the early days. I mean, now that the Blu-rays obviously get covered a lot, but I think in the early Wild West days of DVDs, especially, it's kind of like a big black hole of information because... even when they got covered online, a lot of those sites have since long gone, you know, on the way back machine, they're gone. So there's just, there's huge gaps in the history. So I, yeah, I'm glad we can sort of go on the record and sort of let people know where the, you know, where some of the things that they're buying now came from. But yeah, image was, I don't know how detailed you want me to go, but image entertainment was originally one of the big players on the laser disc scene. Cause they'd been around in the eighties and they put out these magazines every month, like your catalogs of announcements. And they have a letter from a guy named Garrett Lee, who was kind of the head of marketing. And so when you walk into a laser shop, if you're in any major city, you would see these image, you know, monthly magazines that were out there. And the company was founded by a guy named Marty Greenwald, who was the CEO for basically the entire time that it existed under its, before it got bought, which was a whole tumultuous process. But he actually was a sort of a movie. He was kind of a backend movie producer. He wasn't credited on most of the stuff that he worked on. If you go to IMDb and you look him up, you only see like a tiny handful of credits. That's kind of misleading, but he worked on tons of stuff. but a lot of it was hardcore porn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And the funny thing is that the image office, which was in Chatsworth. And if you know what Chatsworth that's, it's, that's sort of known as the porn capital of the U S or at least it used to be for Vegas kind of siphoned off a lot of it with the condom laws. But the Chatsworth is a weird place because it's kind of half crazy Bacchanalia. And the other half is like super right-wing orange County, Christian conservative. And I think that kind of plays a part in the history of image and why it worked the way that it did, which we'll go into is kind of a, It was a little schizophrenic, but it was a great place to work. I mean, I loved it. It was really fun. But Marty was a really cool guy. But the one legit credit that he always talked about was Driving Massacre. Even though he doesn't have a credit, he was really the guy who got it going. And a lot of his buddies worked on it. Like he was good friends with John Tull, who he was in touch with Harry Novak movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love John Tull.
Speaker 2: I'm saying we have to contact Marty to see if he's in touch with John Tull.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've always wanted to talk to John. I begged to get him to come in to talk about some of his movies, but we could never get him to come in, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: You could have gotten him on a– wait, we could have gotten a Midnight Plowboy soundtrack if they'd been able to convince him.
Speaker 3: A commentary, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God.
Speaker 3: So people were in contact with him, but he declined?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, yeah, he was in contact, but yeah, he just doesn't– he couldn't convince him to talk about his acting. I don't know why. I don't know the whole story about it. Interesting. But yeah, they were good buddies. Because John was an AD on Dragon Massacre. And he did lots of behind-the-scenes stuff on the movies. I mean, we know him as being starring in all the Hillbilly, Harry Novak movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but after that, yeah, he did behind-the-scenes stuff.
Speaker 2: And then he worked in hardcore, too. I mean, he shows up in non-sex roles in certain things. And I imagine he probably worked on some of those behind-the-scenes, too. We just don't know. Because, yeah, interesting.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: OK, I have my I have my mission. If you guys couldn't get him, then I don't stand a chance.
Speaker 6: But, you know, you could try. Maybe he's softened up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been so many years now since. So, you know, people change their mind. And I mean, are we assuming he's still alive?
Speaker 6: I hope so. Yeah, I hope so.
Speaker 3: He was kind of young when he did those.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So, yeah.
Speaker 6: So so that's where image came from. Basically got founded with with porn money, essentially, and horror money, driving money. um and so marty had all those connections he was connected a lot of sort of indie producers and and guys who sort of were connected to the adult scene in some way or another and so um you know i i i know you've sort of mentioned but the rule with home video is whichever format goes with goes with porn that's the one that wins so that's why vhs beta etc and so image to start off doing adult laser discs as well you know cafe flash all the biggies um all those big sort of flagship titles but they also had a deal with playboy and penthouse to do all their softcore stuff and so like on vhs all of that came through image and the laser discs of all those which just the idea of those those hour-long playboy videos being a laser disc is i still just think is hilarious but you know whatever it had a market so people bought that stuff um but he was very i mean the company is very receptive to doing exploitation and softcore but it wasn't really something that People didn't really know about these movies for a long time because we're talking like pre-something weird. And so there was kind of a void for about 15 years where these movies just didn't really exist. And from my perspective, I didn't even really know about them when I was a kid until I think it was 1986, I think, whenever Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 came out. But Film Comment did an issue. I don't know if you guys have seen that one, but we had Texas Chainsaw 2 on the cover. But they did this long spread inside all about sexploitation. And like they went in depth on the David Freedman's and they had all the posters, like these gorgeous color reproductions. And then they talked about like there was like the raw ones was in there and all these things. And I was like, what are these movies? You know, and I'm just like, I was like 13 or something. I was like, what is this stuff? This wasn't in Psychotronic. It wasn't any of that stuff. And but those movies, you just couldn't see most of them, as you know, as you know. And so I think that, um you know when something weird came along that was um that was a huge game changer of course and and being a you know crazy cult movie kid you know i'd scour every video store to find them because you couldn't pay 20 bucks a pop to see every single one of those because yeah no high school kid can afford that um your allowance isn't that big but um no And of course, Tim Lucas covering in Video Watchdog, etc. So the ground was really primed, I think, for those. I think Mike Rainey came along at the right time because people were starting to go, what is this stuff? We want something different. And Image jumped in right when there was that transition from Laserdisc to DVD. So that's right when they jumped in with companies like Redemption and they started doing stuff like Devil's Nightmare and Cold Eyes of Fear and all that stuff. And Mike Rainey, obviously, the movies that he owned, because Something Weird was kind of a great market company when it started off, but the Friedman thing really Legitimize him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I think and I think that's when Harry Novak kind of noticed. And there was a whole like I think there's a little bit of a rivalry thing going on there through the whole something weird period kind of escalated, which we'll go into.
Speaker 3: Harry's like, I see I see my old my old nemesis, Dave, making money off this. How do I get in on it?
Speaker 1: Exactly, yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think Harry was like, why is he loving Dave Friedman so much? What about me?
Speaker 2: That seems like that paid off, though. I feel like there were more Novaks than Friedmans at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because his library was, I think, bigger. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah. Not that I'm not Friedman.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Novak built up that library, yeah.
Speaker 6: And it's funny, I mean, because again, obviously you pair something up. You've got, you know, Kiss Me Quick and House on Bear Mountain. You know, you have like, it's funny how there's a synchronicity between the two that I don't think they would have. Because, again, they were sort of rivals. But it's funny how their tomographies kind of line up with what they own. It's funny that, again, it was just really good synchronicity.
Speaker 3: Well, who would decide on those pairings?
Speaker 6: So, yeah. So, Image did a deal with Mike. So, they would do like 20 titles to 25 titles at a time. They would keep doing new contracts for these things. And so, yeah. So, let me back up. So, Image, of course, jumped into DVDs pretty early on. And they did it. Mike was one of the earliest deals they did, I believe. Because they ported over the Redemptions. But they were like, yeah, let's do some of the horror and exploitation. And stuff like Blood Feast and Color Me Blood Red, those were the obvious ones. Because people knew those because those had been on tape. And Basket Case, which Frank let them do as something weird for a while. But those were standalones. But Mike had all this stuff to do bonus features. And he would do his own commentaries with Dave Friedman. But the problem is a lot of these folks were in LA. And Mike was in Seattle. And he couldn't always come down. So luckily, Image was kind of its own self-sufficient thing. Like it was a big, a big. kind of double building thing in Chatsworth. And they had their own production wing, their own production department, which had about maybe 12 employees, I think. They had their own art department, which was about seven employees. Basically, they did everything in-house except for printing, the actual manufacturing, replicating of the discs, that all got done outside. But aside from that, everything was inside. They had their own QC people, which is a lost art, unfortunately. Nobody QCs discs anymore. That's why you have recalls all the time on stuff.
Speaker 2: Um, I know it's, it seems like way more than ever these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's far more. We don't need to pay QC people. It's like, it saves so much money. Like, I'm sorry you got to pay regular paycheck, but you know, these recalls cost a ton of money. Um, cause I mean, we QC people at every, not just image, but like, you know, Blunderground and Anchor Bay. Like, I mean, every, all these companies, like they used to just QC everything, every company would like, you would QC every audio track, you'd QC on multiple players, you'd make sure everything worked. You know, they don't do it anymore. Um, which is a shame. Um, So Mike would actually, so there are three, really three people involved. There's Mike Rainey and Lisa, his wife, and then Frank Hennenlotter. So they would kind of come up with what eventually became the double features because these were singles at first in those snapper cases. And they started, they were like, well, these movies are short and we can have all these extras. So let's start pairing them up. And, um, cause originally you'd have stuff like erotic adventures of Zorro just came out by itself, you know, just, you know, not much on it, you know, it was kind of, kind of sparse. And so he thought it'd be fun to start pairing these up because you had all the space on the disc. This isn't like a VHS tape you've only got two hours to work with. You could kind of go nuts.
Speaker 3: He was careful about he wanted to give them as much content as he could with the space on the disc.
Speaker 6: They would actually do the math because they would figure, okay, we have this space. How much can we fit on there before we have to start knocking the compression down, before it starts looking like crap? Those discs still look good. Those DVDs look really nice. Those were beautiful scans, but almost all off the negatives for the most part. And it was really funny because I would actually see they would send, once they figure out double feature, Mike would figure out like, okay, how much can we get on there? Like down to the minute, like what, how many, how much can we cram onto these discs? I think the funniest one was monster's crust, the pajama party. Cause that disc was like, I mean, it was literally down to like no room left on that disc. I was like, how much can we just shove in there?
Speaker 2: But it was such a masterpiece. You know, it's funny. I remember that I, went through that thing and actually wrote down myself a little roadmap. So I have it in there with the chat, with the chapter listing insert. And I think there's a booklet that with the interviews with some spook show people. And yeah, I have, I have my map in there. Cause I'm like, I need to be able to find certain things. That was like, that was, I think the, the crowning achievement of, of that programming, because let's go to the drive-in already. Um, like a game changer. Like that was incredible. But yeah, the monsters crossed the pajama party was such a wonderful experience. Just that whole disc was like, you could tell the joy that went into making that.
Speaker 6: Oh, so that was a real labor of love.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'll never forget. We had, we had multiple meetings about that one.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Um, because we had our own menu artists, um, we had our own menu designers. And so like Mike would actually get on the phone with our menu guy who was, cause he would assign many people to these movies and they were actually like There were two menu artists and there were two cover designers who loved something with weird titles. They would ask for them and they loved working on them. So these were really inside images. These were really beloved movies. But yeah, just having Mike on the phone laying out, okay, I want to do this. I want you to go in here and go to the hall. Laying it out in the menu artist. We have to sit there and just figure out how can I make this happen? What kind of madness is this? I'm building a house in the menu and hiding all the stuff in it. How is this going to work? But they did it somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It really is like there there's no other release like it and i don't think you could do it like that i don't think you could try to replicate something like that now yeah i don't think the technology has improved in so many ways but i feel like it's gone in the reverse as far as menus i feel like the menus do not have that fun interactive way like there's a dvd of a movie called girls would be girls that dvd that mgm put out of this drag queen comedy Where, like, the characters are on the menu and they have, like, comic business while they're telling you to, like, press chapter or special features. And it's just like, that's gone. I don't know why that.
Speaker 3: Isn't done now. It's a lost art, for sure.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: It's a lost art.
Speaker 2: The DVD menu is a lost art.
Speaker 3: We don't know how to do it anymore. It's like that joke.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like Easter eggs. Easter eggs used to be much more prevalent. It's not that they've gone away completely, but... they used to be much more fun to try to find them. And actually, you, sir, were always really good about letting people know, click around, you're going to be able to find something fun. So I was like, okay, good, Nathaniel knows.
Speaker 3: But not telling exactly where to find it either. Exactly.
Speaker 6: At least you knew to look, though. That's something that just triggers people to punch around your menus. As long as you know something's there, then you can go and start messing around with it.
Speaker 2: Yes and that was why it was yeah that's why that i think that well home video i like that it's still going and boutique labels which are going but i feel like there's that level of creativity that is just not there for some reason and i don't know i don't know why that is but i would love it to come back in that way um but yeah.
Speaker 6: I would too i think because everything's so far out now i think is when you have people like when someone is sitting at their desk right from you who's doing the menus i think it there's much more spontaneous i think you kind of you know, you're more willing to have like fun with it. And you're all sitting in the same meetings together. I just think it's a different thing. I mean, I think grindhouse is still keeping it alive as far as like the menu craziness. Like I still look forward to it.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: They do. Yeah. Well, and, but also they're also, they've been doing it for so long that they, yeah, they have mastered that. We're doing that in the DVD era. So yeah, it's like, we're just going to keep doing it. I feel like it's been the same people that entire time. So yeah, I don't know. Gosh, I get very wistful thinking about that.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about who's doing good maze today. I think Reinhardt.
Speaker 2: They're really good. They know what they're doing. Sorry, everyone else. Go look at MonsterCrest the Pajama Party and try to make something like that happen. it doesn't have to be exactly that, but something fun, you know, like something that it, cause it is that it's an extra level of engagement with the, with the person who bought it, where it's like, it's now become like a treasured part of their collection and they can still go back.
Speaker 3: And find fun stuff potentially.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It almost feels like Mike's mindset was, this is it. This is like the last time this is ever going to be released on home video. Let's do it big. and like put as much as we can on here make it look as good as possible because i think he did have that mindset of like he wasn't interested in blu-ray when it came around he was like why are we doing this so.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah i mean the only time mike and i i mean like sort of amicably we butt heads because he did not want to go anamorphic widescreen on anything like he hated it because he watched everything yeah like he watched everything in like an old like two crt tv like he wanted everything to look like a beaver Cause he watched that, um, which is funny. He loved that aesthetic. And like, I had to actually like really twist his arm hard to get two titles done that way. Um, unfortunately that was one where the replicator screwed up and that was Hercules, um, versus the moon man where they actually flagged it wrong i mean he's like see i told.
Speaker 2: You i remember when that happened yes i.
Speaker 6: Did um so that's why you have so many flat letterbox transfers from them for like the scope luckily like almost none of his movies were scoped thank god um so you Um, usually he would just transfer, like get the next and they would just do open mat or like, you know, letterbox in a little bit where it had to be when it was hard matted. Um, so for the most part, it was fine. It wasn't even really a big deal. And thank God they were open max and you got extra sleazy stuff at the top and bottom. So whatever, everybody wins. So it's all good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There weren't that many scope. I'm trying to think of like, uh, well, labyrinth of sex was a scope one and they never put out sexy pro a bitissimo except in little clips all over different releases. They never put it out on its own, but yeah, that was, yeah, it's funny. I think that's kind of the nature of that genre. It's like, who's shooting in scope? Who has the money for that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: So it kind of works out, just put out all this stuff in full frame.
Speaker 6: Um, so backing up. So the way that I got an image was I, after I finished college, I had started my website and I was doing the whole Mobius thing, um, which we've mentioned. And, um, so I moved to LA and I was working at DreamWorks for about a year. Um, and I was like, this is fine. I really don't want to do a studio thing. Cause it was just kind of corporate and you know, whatever. It was fun, but whatever. Um, but at image, um, DVD had really just kicked off and they had actually started a company called DVD planet, which had bought out. There's a chain of laser distorsion called Ken cranes, which was also getting into DVDs. It's like, well, we want to get on the bottom floor of this. So he started this company called DVD planet, which was actually on the same property as image. Like I said, there was basically two huge converted warehouses. So the other warehouse became DVD planet. And so, um, They hired me on because the guy who had just come over, he had moved to L.A. from Philly, a man named Mark Walco. He's a good friend of mine.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love Mark.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, Mark is awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm the Mobius person, right?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, it's the Rosetta Stone of everybody in this business. I think everybody who's still working in this business, they all started at Mobius, honestly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it seems like it, yeah. I mean, it's such a tiny pond, really, and it still is.
Speaker 2: Right, yep.
Speaker 6: And so Mark had gone over to image to do PR. And so he was the guy who was involved in the very first batch of snapper case titles or something weird. And I was basically the editor at DVD planet because they would do regular weekly update things. And I worked a lot with Frank Henenlotter because he was going to be the spokesperson for something weird. So Frank and I were like, you know, super tight work because he wrote, it kills me. This is an archive because they took my computer and I don't have, he wrote the most amazing columns ever. about all the DVDs that were coming out. He did write up some things like for your height only and stuff like that. There were just like the funniest crap I've ever read in my life. And, um, and they're just genius like columns that he wrote for DVD planet. And, um, so just working with Frank, you know, for that, that was amazing. Um, but so, but I would, you know, go back and forth between DVD planet and the image offices all the time. We'd all have lunch and all that. And, um, so then what happened was, and that originally this wasn't common knowledge, but I think I can say now, cause they're, you know, it's long gone. Um, but they got a blackmail call from some guy in Russia who would like hack the site. And, um, he was like, you will pay me, you know, $ 600, 000 or I will leak all of your customer info or something like that. And, um, and they were like, uh, whatever. I think they want to pay the guy off, but they want to just dumping DVD planet. They essentially just closed because of this blackmail guy. Yeah, all because of this extortion guy. I wasn't in all the meetings about it, but yeah, it's basically because it's blackmailer. And they were just like, this is way too much of a hassle. It was just such a nightmare dealing with this.
Speaker 3: Oh, my God. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But the timing worked out because at the same time this happened. And so they were like, so they cut the staff and they wanted to absorb all the DVD Planet folks back into Image. At the same time, Mark wanted to move to New York to marry his then fiance, which he did. So he went off to go work for Criterion in New York. And Image was also at the time, they were the distributor for Criterion. And were for many, many years, which people tend to forget that. We had our own dedicated criterion person in-house. And so I just sort of leapfrogged over and I took over for Mark. So I inherited something weird line, right? As it was, you know, like, you know, and it's, as it was getting off the ground and like all the, the Euro, the Euro shock titles, anything weird, the Ted B. Michael stuff, all the, all the British sexploitation stuff, the British sex comedies, all that wound up going over to me.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Like the, what was that? Jezebel?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jezebel was like Redemption's exploitation line was Jezebel. Redemption, Salvation, Jezebel thing, it's kind of fuzzy. They sort of rotate around. It's a little confusing. But it was really fun. And the nice thing was that because Mike, again, was in Seattle most of the time, he would come down maybe twice a year. He and Lisa would come. But for the most part, he was based out of there. But they wanted to keep upping their special features. And so They were like, well, we want commentaries, but these are LA folks. So can I just send them over to you? And I was like, yeah, I'll do it. So that's kind of how the commentary thing started with me because we would do all of our commentaries in house. Um, we normally record them on dad tapes, which is what Mike did as well. Um, for those who don't remember dad tapes for like digital audio tapes or like little tiny things, I'm sure. Um, old timers might remember what those are, um, because of good sound quality, they were good for archiving. And so he'd be like, you know, Oh, can I send Larry Buchanan over to you? And you'll, you know, for a commentary. I'm like, sure, whatever. So, you know, I'll take two hours of my day, just block it off. And later I'll come, we'll sit down with the mics and just watch the movie and chat about it. Um, you know, because I guess he trusted me that I knew what the movies were and that he knew what a fan I was. Cause again, I just sort of cut my teeth on these movies. Um, and so it, you know, it worked out. Um, but you know, but Mike stayed with like the Friedman stuff was, was all his. I mean, he did all those, obviously you could hear him on those. And, um, The really fun thing is that image would also, um, let me go to the chiller convention, which they would, you know, they have multiples, but the big one is the Halloween one they would have every year in New Jersey. And so I would get a dealer pass and I would basically go help out at something weird table with them. And then we'd all just sort of hang out. And like we were saying, cause like Mark Walco would be there and like, you know, Mike Felsher, Mike Engel, and like all the, all the video guys were there every year. So it's kind of, we would all just go out and have pizza and drink beers after. And it was, it was, people think we're all competitors, but it was kind of like more cause we all love the same movie. So it was kind of more like a family kind of thing. Um, But it was really fun. But Mike would bring Dave Friedman a lot to chiller. So you're hanging out with Dave Friedman for like a whole weekend. You're like, this is heaven. He's just the best. And I'm just glad I got to hang out with all these guys before they left us. I mean, I know because you've talked to Dave too. It really felt like the end of an era when they started leaving us because, yeah, it was really strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it was just, well, when day, and it was funny, cause there are still people who are still, who were around after date pass, but it still felt like that was, it was the end when he passed. Cause it was because he really was kind of like, he knew everybody. And cause he really reached the top of the industry as far as the AFAA goes. So he knew literally everybody. So when he went, it really was kind of like, okay, there are some people left, but it felt like there were like, they were, they were scattered. It wasn't, there wasn't like a central figure that you could go to. it's going to give you like the best version of the history of the industry. So, yeah, that was, and he wasn't even that old really. I mean, he was old, obviously, but like, I know people that are still alive now that I just found out that Ray Anthony's still alive and maybe the endurance still alive. So not, not as old as them when he passed away, you know? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, what were some of your favorite commentaries to do?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh.
Speaker 6: Well, getting to do Larry Buchanan was really fun. That was, that was really cool. And, Let me think. Which one was that?
Speaker 2: Was that for Naked Witch or was that for Common Law Wife?
Speaker 6: Or did you do both?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember now.
Speaker 6: That, I think, wasn't that, no, it was for, I think it was Lee Harvey Oswald.
Speaker 2: Oh, Lee Harvey Oswald. Oh, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's right. I keep forgetting that came out.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I wish it was Naked Witch. Naked Witch would have been really fun. But yeah, I mean, yeah, but it was a blast. And I mean, it also, getting to the tracks, so it gave me a little bit of, I guess leverage where I could actually sort of like for some titles through that I wanted done that they weren't kind of resistant to. Cause like then, Oh, so I should back up just a second. So image, like I said, was doing porn on Laserdisc, but when DVD came along, um, they had actually changed a bit because, um, during the Laserdisc thing, they were image and pioneer were the two biggies and image wanted to work more with the studios. And they've somehow been able to wait to becoming Disney's Laserdisc replicator and distributor. And so suddenly they were doing Bambi and Pinocchio, but Disney was like, you're not doing the porn. Like, Like you can stick with the Playboy in the penthouse. That's fine. The soft core is fine. But the hard core is out. And so they immediately had to stop doing the hard core Laserdiscs. And so when DVD came on, they were doing deals with Universal and people like that. And so still hard core was a no-no.
Speaker 3: Well, just because they had a deal with Disney. But I mean Disney didn't own any stock in the company. It's just like Disney didn't want it to be anywhere near their stuff.
Speaker 5: Is that the idea?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like if you want to carry your stuff, you're not– we don't want to be associated with it. It makes sense.
Speaker 2: Vendor syndrome is going through the same thing. Exactly.
Speaker 6: That's why Melia's scene exists, is because they're doing Paramount, they're doing MGM, they're doing Warner Brothers. It's like, you can't have that butting up against, you know, Tobolino movies. It's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: It's bad enough that their logo is still a sexy woman. That's bad enough. Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't changed that. Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't changed it either. I'm surprised that wasn't any kind of discussion. Yeah, I think it was that. It was a combo with that and credit card processors, where they didn't want to process porn. But it's the same thing. It's like the people with the money are going to make those decisions, and you have to go with what they want to make sure that you still keep getting their money. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: Makes sense. And also another concern, this isn't really something people talk about now because the internet is taking over, but also there was a thing about crossing state lines with certain products. If it was just normal porn, that was okay, but if it was something that was kind of a little dicey, we'll talk about this later. It was one of the something weird titles where I think this was probably a factor. I can't say for sure, but I think it was.
Speaker 2: Oh, God.
Speaker 6: But Mike had run into trouble with two titles, which were Sex Psycho, which is actually Widow Blue. Um, but he carried that for a little while, but that, that actually got flagged. Um, I think it was in Alabama. Somebody flagged that one and they got in trouble with that one. And there was a gay porn called hold your peace, which they only sold.
Speaker 2: For that thing. Oh my God.
Speaker 6: Which also, yeah.
Speaker 2: Um, I know the scene probably that was flagged.
Speaker 1: Oh, I bet you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: One scene never forgotten.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Let's just say, do not use a knife as a dildo.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And don't try to make it sexy either. Because there's no way that can be sexy.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, Widow Blue, doesn't Widow Blue have some violent, really violent sexual content in that too?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the problem. Anything that has like, anything that's, yeah, because any movie where you have like hardcore sex with people covered in blood, it's like.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't combine. It's very, it's actually very BBFC actually. It's very like, yeah, it's very unusual that that still, that remained a thing for so long. And then I guess people stopped caring somehow. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like I said, I think the internet just kind of wrecked it all. Cause now it's just like, whatever you can't like, who cares if you're shipping discs over to state lines anymore. It doesn't matter. Like nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's how, that's how vinegar son was putting out like pretty peaches on cut and baby face on cut and releasing a widow blue on DVD.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Or both ways. I was surprised they put that on cut. Cause the whole thing was like, and through the looking glass too, cause they had the whole thing. It's like, well, you can't have a kid. And even if the kid has nothing, you can remotely sexual in the movie. Like having a child actor in these movies was, you know, they would start cutting them out.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Well, that happened with Dr. Sex. I have that noted to bring that up. There was a digital zoom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was, I think that actually came to us like pre-zoomed.
Speaker 9: Oh, really?
Speaker 2: So they knew it was going to be a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I'm pretty sure that that zoom was because of what they had gone through with those two titles. I think they were just like, screw it. We're just not going to mess with this anymore. So I think that was already pre-zoomed when we got it. Because the thing at Image was we did not want to cut movies at all. Like it was like if we had to cut it, we were just going to like let somebody else do it. Um, the only exception, um, because we really, I really wanted to do it was female vampire, um, where we actually had to wind up because there's a couple of seconds of like unsimulated, like oral sex in it. And we wound up having to loop other footage because it was such a huge title. And I was just like, I hate doing it, but like, I really want to put this out. So that was the only work run we could do. But other than that, like we did not want to cut anything. I'm not counting stuff like that, like the cut down hardcore feature as stuff like the geek that Mike put on his extras. That doesn't count.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: Um, But as far as like full movies go, it's like, we really did our best not to cut anything. Cause I did not want to censor anything if possible.
Speaker 2: Well, Dr. Sex, that, that should have been zoomed. That zoom, that zoom was justified. Like I don't need to see a naked little girl. I don't care if it's just like fun or like, it's supposed to be like a joke. Cause it's, yeah. The segment in that is like, it's a girl who was a woman who was an infomaniac. And it's like, well, even as a little girl, like she was like running around naked. And so it's this little girl running around naked. And it's like, I didn't need to see that to know that she, I'm fine zooming in on that. And I'm, and I don't need to start thinking about like, well, whose little girl was this? Like it, it really makes you think about different levels of that. And it's very discomforting, but yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, yeah.
Speaker 6: So that's my theory about why that was zoomed in. I mean, I'm pretty sure cause the timing matches up. Like I don't think we ever really talked about it, but I was just like, yeah, I can see why. Cause yeah, you just don't want to go down that road. Especially when at the time that came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that was also when they, I remember they had to, they discontinued a lot of titles with teen in title. And then they reissued them. Like I remember Teenage Fantasies, they had to reissue as Renee Bond's Fantasies. And because that's such a big seller, you have to have that.
Speaker 3: In your collection.
Speaker 2: If you're a Renee Bond person, that's like her, one of her key films. So they had to reissue that. But I remember when Hold Your Peace went out. Actually, you know what? You sent me Hold Your Peace, I think. You send me that and heavy equipment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think you sent me some other burn stuff. And I was like, cause we did a trade or something and I still have it with your handwriting on it. I think it's and finger licking good and then heavy equipment. And then I think you sent me, I a woman too, something else. Yeah. Cause you had all the good, you had all the good, all the rare, something weird stuff. So I was like, I need it. This is before we had Alex slip case. Who was one of our regular guys who now collects these things and rips it for us. But yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Don't watch it. Don't watch that gentry. You don't need to watch, uh, you don't need to watch, hold your peace.
Speaker 6: It's not, it's not, it's not a pleasant experience. It's like, it's the threads of gay porn. Just don't do it.
Speaker 3: It's so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not good.
Speaker 3: So was this the same time? What, where's like big snatch that controversy and like love?
Speaker 6: That was early. That was actually a really early one. So, okay. So, So like I said earlier, the thing about Chatsworth, like I said, is that it's very porny but really prudish at the same time. And that's true at Image because, like I said, we had our own departments. And in our production department, we had two particularly conservative people working in the production department. I won't say their names. And they're very nice people. I mean, we got along fine. But I had to sort of be very political and work around them a lot and sort of tap dance because I knew there were certain lines we couldn't go past. Um, and as I found with big snatch was one of the first movies that triggered that as was love camp seven. So anything that got like, even if it was soft core, if it was like super, super rapey, then it would start setting off some flags. If it was like one rape scene in a movie, like they would let it slide. But if that was the whole focus of the movie and there was just people just screaming and getting raped for the whole thing, it's just like, no, we're not doing this.
Speaker 3: Well, sorry. Are these people watching the movies?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 3: So they're watching it front to back.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: They're not just like looking at the campaign or anything like that. It's okay.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 6: And unfortunately there were the two people who were, it was like the number one and two person in the, in the department. This wasn't like just, these weren't just the normal production grunts. These were the two in charge. And I mean, and like I said, they let stuff go that I was kind of shocked by. Things slipped through. But I would have some really surreal days at work where it's like the weirdest one ever, I think was when screaming the streets came in. And, and so, and they, they had pulled it up and they were like, can you come back here? And I was like, okay, sure. And it's like, so we just got this here. It was, you know, we just got this movie, Scream in the Streets. We want you to look at it because we think it's hardcore. And I was like, okay.
Speaker 3: It's close.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And so I'm sitting there. I mean, we're sitting there for like an hour, like going frame by frame.
Speaker 3: Oh, my God. Where the guy's, you know, inserting forward.
Speaker 6: But you don't see anything. The angle is just enough where you don't actually see anything go in. I'm like, no, it's not. Like, show me actual penetration. You're not going to see it. And they're like, he's clearly doing it. I'm like, well, maybe, but you can't prove it.
Speaker 1: Right. Right.
Speaker 6: And it finally got through uncut. And again, I think, please don't get my mother, it was actually pre-cut when we got it, I believe. Interesting. It's missing the one shot in there. But the other funny thing is that I think that, I don't know what the ordering process was, but I think when Mike would have the scans commissioned, they would just pull the negs and scan them and send them over. And I'm not sure whether he actually saw them after they were done because there were a lot of cases where The Novaks would come to us, especially the Southern ones would come to us and they would have extra stuff tacked at the end, like extra hardcore stuff. Oh, right. So like, but with different actors, that's the weird thing. It wasn't even the main cast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like he would just get these random people to like, just sit in a barn on top of some hay and just go at it for like five minutes. So they could, if somebody wanted to sell it as adult film, they could just splice that at any point in the movie and it wouldn't matter. Right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: With his fake r rating on the poster right which he loved to do yeah.
Speaker 6: And like i would have loved to put those on his extras but we couldn't because again they were just they were full-on um.
Speaker 2: Yeah we couldn't they wouldn't even let you have done that as an easter egg right you.
Speaker 6: Couldn't yeah yeah there's no way it's not really censorship because they were never part of the movie it was just sort of like an optional thing where it's like you know hey if you if you can get away with it feel free to drop the scene in somewhere with these other people you know um but it wasn't like Renee Bond or like John or any of those folks, you know, Sandy or any of those, none of the Novak players. So that's so interesting though.
Speaker 2: Because they're on this, we were like, we talked about sassy Sue and I think there were only two people in a movie who weren't doing hardcore at the time that was being made. And so you would think that, yeah, Sandy Carey would do something hardcore on the set. Cause she was there and they were going to pay her a little extra to do something hardcore, but that's really wild. They would just get like some random people to just do whatever. Or even like for the, what is it, Southern Comfort. So like Judy Angel, huge, huge in porn. Tons of porn.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, again, it just makes it easier if you can't see them, if they can't see their faces, they can just splice it in wherever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If it's just a body.
Speaker 2: That is true. That is true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, Sassy Sue, I was revisiting that for our episode, and I was shocked that I was like, oh, right, Tali Cochran is basically giving Jontel a blowjob. She's slapping her face.
Speaker 3: Her head is right next to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just like, I can't believe that this didn't raise any flags. It probably did, but they were like, well, it's technically not hardcore. It's just a lot of manual manipulation, I guess. You have to use the censor terms.
Speaker 6: That scene is hilarious to me, though. Remember the first time I saw it when the tape came out, and I was just like, does she just not know how to do this? Like, what's going on.
Speaker 2: In this scene?
Speaker 3: She's just being silly.
Speaker 6: I was like, I don't know either of them are getting much out of this, but okay.
Speaker 1: No, no.
Speaker 2: It's just for the audience to kind of be like, oh, I saw something extra dirty tonight at the drive-in.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, that is so funny that you, you like had those conversations with co-workers like frame by frame it was.
Speaker 6: So bizarre yeah so you come back from lunch all of a sudden you're looking at screaming the streets like yeah i framed sexy yeah it was bizarre well.
Speaker 3: I mean i was surprised when that got the uh veneer or cyber entreatment of all.
Speaker 2: The random choice random choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah what are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, at least that, that's all the mystery of like where that mystery junkie scene came from. That's in the trailer, you know, cause that wasn't, that was a short that he had cut out separately, um, along with the other, the, the buck short. Um, cause again, that was the same case. I think it was kind of like with the, the hardcore stuff. I think he just shot some extra segments, you.
Speaker 3: Know, something that was at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I can spice your stuff. And if it didn't use, you could just, you know, tear it off and make a short film out of it. They could slot in between movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Um, so I was actually really glad that came out cause it kind of like, I was like, okay, so that's, that's the connection. Cause I couldn't figure it out from the trailer. I was like, what, what's going on? Cause like half the stuff in the trailer isn't in the movie.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: It's just baffling.
Speaker 2: Well, then that makes me wonder then, cause you know, the, the, the, the mindset is that like when he, when Novak reissued booby trap as love explosions, and then he did behind the green doors as then came ecstasy, that those were like 70, I think 76 and 78 respectively, maybe. And I always thought those were inserts, but from the sounds of it, they might not have been inserts that were shot later. They could have just been like, yeah, these were shot at the time and we're just going to shove them in and finally put them out now that it's legal. And that's why I'm kind of like, even if it's a movie that I don't like in the Novak library, this kind of, this information confirms that like, I kind of want to see all of them out just because I want to go back to those vaults and have everything available that has like, the name of the movie on it. Like what, what, what extra footage is there?
Speaker 3: Um, those vaults, Casey, those vaults are like what Harry's closet, you know, I don't know what's still, they.
Speaker 2: Look like a, they look like a degenerates like shed in the back that they hold hostages. And like, when you see the videos on, there's something weird. It's of, of no, of, of rainy going to visit. It's like this, it has like a decrepit falling apart shed in the, in his backyard. And it's just like, or in the, in the back of his building. And it's just like this, they're not temperature controlled.
Speaker 3: So, well, even on the ax, that ax and kidnapped, uh, that release too, they show, um, I can't remember who's all there, but they, uh, go digging around, uh, for Frederick's negative.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's the same deal. It's just like, just, you know, shoulder height, like just full of canisters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They just have dig through and find his, find his negative.
Speaker 2: Well, actually that reminds me, that makes me think of something. Do you know? So like, for example, the Friedel film. So we know now about the issue with Friedel and how Novak really basically was like, I don't owe you any money. You owe me money. Cause I went out of business or whatever, whatever. What did image of it get contacted by any of these filmmakers for these movies who were kind of like, no. Oh, okay. Cause something weird kind of didn't either. So I don't, yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: Um, Yeah, it's kind of amazing, actually. I mean, the only time we ran into trouble was with actually the movie The Dead One, which is technically PD. Yeah, we announced it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the zombie one. It was supposed to come out with the atomic brain as monstrosity. It was announced, and there was cover art and everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we announced that one. So Sam Sherman kind of pulled a fast one. He suddenly changed his title card because he owned he found an egg. And so he was like, Oh, I own it. It's my movie. It's like, well, that's not really how it works, but okay, whatever. And he started throwing a fit and we had a deal with Sam and we're just like, Oh, whatever. Cause like, cause we had to keep doing Sam stuff and it was like, fine, just whatever, just something else, Mike, you know? Um, and then Sam totally screwed that DVD up anyway. It was unwatchable. So, um, but luckily began serving, came back into the Blu-ray and fixed it. Cause the DVD was all like squashed and it looked like crap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. It was. Cause that was media blasters, right? They finally put that out.
Speaker 6: I was so angry when that came out. He changed that digital title card replacement.
Speaker 3: I was like, come on, man.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? Rest in peace, Sam, but some questionable stuff there. As with everyone in this business. Even Dave, there's some stuff there.
Speaker 6: Sam and Alfredo Leone took it to a new level. I would be sitting down at lunch with them and they would give me a list of titles they were pitching and I was just like, you don't own any of these movies. Like I know who owns these. You don't own a single one of these. Like there's no way.
Speaker 2: Nope. Well, Novak did that too. Like there's a ton of stuff that came out in the Something Weird catalog that said like from the vaults of Harry Novak. And it just was like a print that he had.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason. And he may have handled regional distribution or he might not at all. Like you, I know you're a genre law person. Like the fact that he put out, he gave them a print of like the Shiver of the Vampires. It's like, I don't think there's any evidence he ever distributed that. Yeah. I don't know where that came from. You know, it's just like, it's really weird. And now we'll never know what he really, I don't know what he didn't. Cause I, yeah, I don't, I don't know what the situation was with that.
Speaker 6: We know, we know Cage Virgins was legit. That's about it.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That one, that one you can't refute, but everything.
Speaker 3: Else, it's got the artwork. That one at least has the Novak like cover artwork that we can point back to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right. If there's a paper trail, that's kind of like Toys R Us for Children. That was released first by what, Maren Films put that out, I think. And then he bought, and then he sold it to Novak because the company went out of business. You can trace it eventually, but there's so much stuff that the Devil's Garden does. He never had that. So I'm like, he never released this. You liar.
Speaker 3: How did you get along with him, Nate?
Speaker 6: Like, fine. I mean, he's... I mean, he was sort of like kind of endearing in a weird way because he was such just an utter businessman. I mean, because David Friedman cared about his movies. I mean, he was there on the set. He was like very hands-on. I mean, he was– I don't want to say he was a cinephile necessarily, but he really put the effort into the stuff that he put– even the movies that he wasn't really that involved in, but he cared about them. I mean, Novak was never on the sets really except just occasionally when the actors get naked. But I mean, he really didn't– the nuts and bolts part of putting the movies together, he didn't really know about. But he was a funny guy. He was sort of very much like a huckster. I mean, you know, but he was fine. But so, you know, then of course Mike calls me up and he's like, Hey, Harry wants to do some tracks like, like Dave, you know, he wants to be on the tracks. And I was like, okay. Don't know what he's going to say. Cause all he did was release them. He wasn't really there. I don't think he was going up to, you know, Porter ranch or whatever, where they were on the set too much. I don't think he was hanging out there, but okay. Sure. So as a test run, we did a couple of the country ones. And I was just like, I cannot do this myself. So we brought in a squad of Archie Galentine.
Speaker 3: Surrounded him with people.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 6: So everybody came to the image office, and we all jammed into a room, and we got the mics hooked up and everything. And thank God, at least, because if you hear the tracks, we're still flailing through a lot of those. Because all Harry's sitting there, we're just asking questions, and he's just like, hey, look at that bush.
Speaker 2: That's all he can say.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 6: How do I work with this? So we're all bringing what we know about the actors and the production into this as much as we can. But yeah. Again, Mike was trying to make him happy and let him do his commentaries. So it is what it is. I've had more uncomfortable commentaries than that. I had worse ones there than him. So it could happen.
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: that's not great.
Speaker 2: Cause I feel like Novak, those are very tough. I was just, I felt so bad listening to those. I was just like, ah, I know that they, they're, I know they want to make these good and Novak is not going to make it easy for them. It's just not, no.
Speaker 6: No, I, but he's not a malicious person. I mean, he wasn't like a jerk. I mean, I've definitely had more unpleasant people I've been in the room with, but it was just, it was just nothing to work with. I mean, at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, he, um, I think, I think Brainy got an idea of that. Cause he did like two, I think he did two or three comments. Here's the Novak first. I guess he did. Please don't meet my mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you do kiss me quick?
Speaker 9: He did do kiss me quick.
Speaker 2: And then I think it was like, it probably was a situation of like, I don't need to fly down to LA to do.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: He pushed him into your hands. He's like, these guys are knowledgeable. They can, they can work with Harry and figure it out. Cause I've, I've tried and these guys will.
Speaker 6: Figure it out. In our defense, I think we did as good a job as Mike could have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. Because Mike, those commentaries are interesting because he really tries to keep Harry focused. And he doesn't really, Harry doesn't know how to stay focused. Because he wasn't, like you said, he wasn't there. Kiss me quick. I remember on that commentary, he misidentifies Althea Currier three times. He says, this woman's her, and then that woman's her, and then that one's her. I'm like, well, no, no. That's why I wish Pete Perry hadn't clammed up. I would have loved Pete Perry to do these commentaries.
Speaker 3: That would have been amazing.
Speaker 2: It wasn't happening.
Speaker 6: There's so many of those guys from that period that I would love to hear do commentaries. It's nuts what he missed out on.
Speaker 2: It's a shame. I know. Watzler died just before the DVD started, which is so devastating.
Speaker 3: Those would have been incredible. Because, yeah, he was such a talker. He was a raconteur.
Speaker 2: Big storyteller. The Orson Welles of sexploitation. Sort of.
Speaker 1: Sort of.
Speaker 2: Not age-wise and not talent-wise, looks-wise and rock contour-wise. Yes, very much the Wilson Wells.
Speaker 3: Did you have any interactions with the, um, Harry's widow? That's kind of taken over his, um, estate.
Speaker 6: Not really. Like once, once Harry and Mike split, that was kind of it. Like I didn't see Harry after that. Um, cause I really wouldn't have been able to, I mean, I would have had his office, you know, in LA, but yeah, that was pretty much it. which is unfortunate. I mean, it really kind of bums me out that it happened the way it did, you know, because luckily Mike had the, has the Freedman's, you know, in perpetuity, but I wish that library kind of stuck together and now it's been kind of diced up and scattered to the winds. And, you know, we've got a few titles, but I just don't know if some of those other ones will ever come out. I mean, but then again, that's true. Most of something weird. Cause I thought when, you know, I thought when, when Mike died and when image went under, like, I was like, is that it? Like, are these just never going to come out ever again? Is that the end of the road for all this stuff? And thank God that's not the case. We've had this, you know, amazing resurgence that's happened, which delights me.
Speaker 3: I've never been more happy to be wrong in my life. Partnerships with so many different companies now, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I really wish that, like, Novak's Widow would, like, just deal with somebody for everything, you know, just, like, just sell it off and let somebody do it right, you know, leak it out like it's nice. UHDs of the whole Novak line, that'd be great. Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: I would love it.
Speaker 3: You know, I know Severn did a few, but I don't know if Severn was the best home for them, because, like you said, there might be hardcore stuff at the end of the reel, at the end of the print that you might want to include.
Speaker 2: Perseverant will. I mean, they've included hardcore stuff on a few releases.
Speaker 6: They've done Malibu, but they've done... Very, yes.
Speaker 2: They've also run the Black Emanuel box set.
Speaker 3: So how do they get around doing that and not having to separate it into a separate company?
Speaker 2: They're an independent company.
Speaker 6: I don't think they care.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: Um, which I think that's how you, that's how you want it with the drop dead fried situation. So, um, um, cause I think, you know, cause then universal was like, Oh wait, hold on guys. Uh, but yeah, they kind of do their own thing, which I love. I mean, they just, it's kind of like whatever. I mean, you could tell with some of the slip cases that the limited slip cases they do, they're just like, how far can we go with this?
Speaker 3: Oh, sure.
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 6: Um, they push the envelope harder than anybody does with that stuff. I mean, God bless them. I'm glad they do. So I don't, Yeah, I don't think they care that much. And Ragnarok Nights of the Living Dead is hardcore too, which they just announced.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they're– I don't think that they're– I don't think they're as concerned about that because they know that it's not– well, also, they're not doing something that's fully hardcore. Like, I don't see them doing, like, Night Dreams. I don't even see Mondo Macabre doing Night Dreams, unfortunately, because I think it's not– Cafe Flush, they can market to a non-porno crowd. Night Dreams is the better movie, but it's way harder to market. because it's much more sexually graphic and more of a porno movie.
Speaker 6: It's not socially relevant.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, exactly. It's socially relevant to porno people. It's not socially relevant to the midnight movie crowd who know Cafe Flesh for decades. Yeah, Night Dreams never got that midnight. I would have loved it to get some midnight longevity, but it's also just too graphic. Yeah. Michelle Bauer in it. It should have gotten actually Michelle Bauer being in it. So it would be marketable. I just don't think. Yeah, I don't know. She's in both movies. She's in Cafe Flash too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm sure somebody will do it at some point, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's kind of a thin line, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they care as much. Well, also, they put out... No, that was Mondo Macabre, too. See, Mondo Macabre doesn't care either. Because they put out Ava Man, and they put out something with Hardcore. Oh, Apocalypse is Sexual, that thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Apocalypse is Sexual is the hardest one. That one is... Whoa. Holy crap.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They don't see that's a thing. They know that they can put it out, and they'll be like, people will buy this because it's us, and this is our brand. Yeah. They don't need to separate it into a separate thing.
Speaker 6: But I mean, Severin did do the hard, they did put a simple dwarf out with the hard stuff in it. So, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes. Which I think that, wasn't that another one that Image would never have done? I don't think. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that one was too rapey too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes. Very much so.
Speaker 6: There's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: Well, even talking about that, it's like, yeah, like you said, there's some stuff that came out where it's like, well, then how did the Flesh trilogy come out? And how did like the Olga films come out? It's like, I mean, for a while there, we'd be getting all the really good roughies.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's weird. Like the black and white roughies, we never had any problems with those. And I think because they kind of feel like horror movies. So I think that's why they got away with it. They don't feel like, Once it goes into color and it starts lingering on, I don't know, the tone's a little different. But I think with the black and white exploitation, I don't think any of those ever caused any problems at all that I can think of.
Speaker 2: And that may be why Love Toy was never going to come out. As far as Doris Wishman's, that Love Toy was not going to come out. I don't remember that one being on the list for some reason.
Speaker 6: I don't know why. I don't think that ever even got pitched.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason interesting okay because i love that one but yeah that one seems that negative didn't maybe that negative didn't appear to fill recently more recently i don't know the story behind that one no i think it was there i think it was i think the dvdr i had said transferred from the 35 millimeter negative yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean there were certain titles that i really wanted to do that i kept begging mike for that they're just the elements couldn't be done like i kept asking him to do roseland and like he's like there's nothing to transfer.
Speaker 2: It's just it's gone oh god you're kidding.
Speaker 6: Yeah Because what they took the tape from, it just fell apart after they scanned it.
Speaker 3: That's happened numerous times, yeah.
Speaker 2: That sucks. Because I know that Stephen Thorough probably wanted someone to put that out, too. I imagine, actually, because I think he's the one who convinced Arrow to do Toys Not For Children. And I'm sure that Roseland was on that list, too. Because that's another one from Nightmare USA that he would have wanted to be reissued because of the Hobbs connection. That's a bummer. I love Roseland.
Speaker 6: I do, too. It broke my heart when he told me that. I'm like, oh, come on. I keep hoping a really nice print or maybe an IP will pop up somewhere that got stuck in some other lab somewhere.
Speaker 2: It has that good loading zone footage too, which is like you don't really have footage of the loading zone with that singer who's so great. That's such a bummer.
Speaker 1: I know what's on your mind. Escape. Escape.
Speaker 2: Forget it, ladies.
Speaker 1: I planned this too well to have one of you run off and mess things up. You'll all be fed the best I can. You'll have a place to sleep. If any of you have inhibitions, I'll help you lose them. I'll call you pigs and you call me master.
Speaker 3: Well, so Big Snatch got flagged because of the title, though, more than the content. Is that how I'm understanding it?
Speaker 6: I think it's both. I think, I think that one was a pretty quick, you know, that love camp seven, I think got, got next really fast. Yeah. But then, and sometimes I just think they weren't looking carefully because sometimes stuff would slip through. I was like, really? Like, I mean, early on, like they let a recommendation of Zorro go through with the one, that one shot, you know, just kind of distant, but still there's that shot in there. And I'm like, okay, I guess nobody noticed, but.
Speaker 3: That one's easy not to notice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you're not just like going frame by frame.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Big snatch. A lot of those interesting. Cause I thought that after like the guy Richie movie came out, that like snatch was okay to have in a title now. I thought that's what I would think, but you're right. The content is really, the whole movie is just women being, uh, you know, just held captive and raped and, peggy church on the roof of a car getting her clam steamed open or whatever he says yeah yeah which is wild if it was if it was more competently made it would actually be offensive but because it's not it's just kind of like well this is so this is so stupid like you know that's made by some lapd douchebag to make a sex movie yeah i mean yeah there's some good women in that though tracy hanfush is very good in that Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I kind of, I wish at some point he'd put us down to do Tanya. Cause I would be curious to see if that got through, but I don't think they ever got submitted as far.
Speaker 1: As I know.
Speaker 2: Oh, Tanya did go through. Tanya did come out.
Speaker 6: Oh, did it?
Speaker 2: With Roblox and the baby factory.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right. It did.
Speaker 1: It did. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Which was a surprise. Yeah. Tanya was very graphic. I remember I reviewed that and I raved about it. I was like, everyone buys it.
Speaker 6: That was the co-feature.
Speaker 2: That's right. Very strange co-feature, but it's Novak. It was a Novak connection, I think.
Speaker 3: Well, they're both like semi-political. They have like a political overtone to them.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Very polar ends of the decade. One is very early 60s, late 60s. One is very late 70s.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, that was something else that I wondered about, because I know... Did you do the Jeffery C. Hogue commentaries, too? Was he LA based?
Speaker 6: He came in. I wasn't on them, but he came in the office for those.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Cause I remember that deal was brief and they, I think there was the asylum of Satan was through him. I think psych by the 40, which was through him. Right.
Speaker 3: And there was something else.
Speaker 2: He did a commentary. Oh, Dr. Gore, the body shop, I think was him.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't as many as I thought it was, but, um, I feel like that was one of their last libraries that they actually got from an outside party. And some of them never came out. Like, I had that deal with Steve Apostoloff's library, and that never translated to Image, which I thought was very interesting. And then I think there was only one Distropix double feature, which we've bemoaned, because now that we all love the Grand Place movies, we're kind of like, why weren't the Grand Place movies put out? We could have gotten The Procurer and Roman Broad, but we got Scare Their Pants Off and for some reason yeah well i'm sure those are the those are the tamest ones i think that might be why those are probably easier to pitch it was.
Speaker 6: A title scare their pants off as a might bring you title i'm sure that just the title alone he was like.
Speaker 8: Yeah you know that tracks i guarantee it that's a title you can sell you know because anything that's like you know spooky sexy like done The movie sucks.
Speaker 2: That's true. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Spooky sexy or sci-fi sexy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Like, man, man, thank you, Spaceman. That thing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I forget if there was another Novak commentary on that. I don't think there was.
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, we got enough.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, that was something else. That's the only thing that I kind of That was the only thing that I think I commented on when I was reviewing these for DVD drive-in. And because I was trying to actually, when I saw these movies that I liked, I would try to contact like cast and crew. And then I would find out that they were still around. And I'm like, well, why didn't we get a commentary by them? And then it wasn't until I started talking to Mike and Lisa more. And it was like, well, you know, they're going to claim they own these movies, but they might not own the movie. So we're just opening a can of worms. If we contact everyone that we want to talk to. So eventually it kind of dawned on me. It's like, and then as I went on back, Novak's, mo in terms of his business then it was like well yeah you can't really call directors back to talk about their work with novak because they don't want to talk about dealing with novak i think people did that with the crown internationals too there were people that didn't want to do extras for crown international releases because they didn't want to talk about uh the tensors and how they were treated with the tensors yeah.
Speaker 6: Well yeah because you think they're making money off of their track if they if they contribute to it'll sell and they won't see a time of it again so yeah they just want to get screwed over so yeah Which is fair enough. But then the– I don't know. I really wish that– and I also wish there was a budget to give for commentaries because usually– that's the other thing is that back then, you didn't get paid to do these. It was just out of the love of your heart because you wanted to come in and do it. And then Schwarzenegger had to screw it all up and he demanded whatever for total recall.
Speaker 2: And then after that, it was like– What was it? $ 25, 000 or something? I don't remember.
Speaker 6: No more than that. Oh, it was way more than that.
Speaker 3: Oh, was it? Oh, God.
Speaker 6: Way more, yeah.
Speaker 2: Um demanding that much money for audio only.
Speaker 6: Yeah and it wasn't even a good track i mean it sucked no.
Speaker 2: No that was bad i remember that yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah and at image also we had um you know because we kept the dad copies of all the commentaries even the ones that never came out which was kind of heartbreaker because like we had the original first track that friedkin did for the exorcist which has never been heard um which is way better than the one that we got damn but he Yeah. But he changed his mind. He's like, I want to redo it. And he did it again. He just sits there and just narrates the movie. And he was like, oh, this is awful. What are you doing?
Speaker 3: I hate that.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 6: And they have dads with all these isolated music tracks from Masters that never came out. Like all the Corman Poe movies. Stuff like that. I really hope it's all sitting over in the RLJ office still. Like if they've got it archived somewhere. Because AMC owns them now. Right.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: But I hope all that stuff is still preserved. Because there's things in there that will never, ever cross anyone's path again. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is there any other commentaries you can think of that got recorded that didn't get released for some reason or another.
Speaker 6: Yeah there was a new line one that we did called man of the century um which we did with the producer and then the director like for some reason threw a fit and told them not to use it and so he went back into this gag one where it's he just he's like he starts it and he has a sound but director stopping him like a minute into it it's stupid yeah but like that one never saw the light of day um which is too bad i'd other than that I mean obviously Acid Eaters at the time that wasn't ours though that was one that Mike had done with Dave and I guess I think his dad had like gone missing or something and so when it came up to do the DVD they couldn't find it or whatever so thank god they found it later now it's on the Blu-ray which god that was a gorgeous release like I could not believe those transfers on Acid Eaters and Space.
Speaker 9: Thing oh I'm excited to see it I'm excited because that's the thing I don't love either of those but I'm not well Space Thing I mean Kara Peters is like a drag queen in that.
Speaker 2: So like, I like, I want the high camp. I want to see that nice look, short, gorgeous, but also acid is considering how not great it is. Like it's photographed so beautifully. The color are so gorgeous in that. And the DVD looks great already. So I know that that Blu-ray is going to look good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Both of like acid eaters. I didn't realize looked the way that it does now. It's stupefying how beautiful it is now. Both of those movies. It's just insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You're always, I'm so excited. yeah excited yeah it's shocking which is.
Speaker 2: Funny because i never thought i'd ever get excited about either of those movies ever again but but i saw the screenshots and i was like okay this might be time for me to reevaluate these.
Speaker 3: Have you done the comparison screenshots yet nate.
Speaker 6: I haven't done it yet i'm working on it'll be up sometime this.
Speaker 3: Week yeah okay yeah nice yeah those are always helpful those are always very helpful.
Speaker 6: I try, yeah. And I think I'm the only one who does screenshots with something weird DVDs because most people don't have those handy. So I think it's important to have the comparisons so people know what the differences are. It's pretty radical on some of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and that reminds me, I mean, you mentioned that you started Modo Digital, like you said, out of college?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was still in college. I think I was like my last year in college. It was like 98, I think, when I started it. Which was kind of like for fun because I was so frustrated because there were all these review sites that they either did only horror or only mainstream studio stuff. And I was like, but there's all this in between, like what I want to do is like, let's do art films and just kind of the weird, unclassifiable stuff and the horror and just the exploitation, the stuff that nobody was really covering. So that was the whole point. Um, and some other stuff. And, you know, and then, then thank God you were ready for DVD drive in. Cause your reviews were amazing. I mean, you were coming up with stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I had no idea. I was like, oh my God, how is he putting these dots together? I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's kind of the crazy thing because I think you are the, you're like the longest running site in this sphere that's still around. So you can, we can access, like what did I just read? I read an early article I was watching I, a woman for the first time. And I was like, Oh yeah, I forgot. I have this DVD from, so I'll watch it. And then I was like, did he review it? And he, and your review is on there and you're like the only surviving review of that DVD anywhere on the internet. And so like, cause DVD arriving is gone. Like a lot of the DVD talk stuff is gone. AV maniacs is gone. I'm trying to remember who I also digital bits is hit or miss. I don't see them that much anymore, but like it's, Yeah, you're like a go-to place. Like, if I know I need to know what a release looked like, or also if all the extras have been ported over from one release to another, that's very important to me. Because then I'm like, I said on here in an earlier episode, yeah, I have the Montemar Cabra 4K, or Blood Rose. But there's that behind-the-scenes footage on the less-shocky Foo version, which I still need, and Nathaniel's review reminded me of that. So I'm like, okay, I guess I have to have two 4Ks of this.
Speaker 6: Just because.
Speaker 2: But that's kind of the nature of the beast. We have to own multiple versions of these things in a lot of cases, just because it's the way it is.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I go to your site for a lot, Nathan? is to hear which audio track you think is best to like start with.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Watching that for the first time.
Speaker 3: I always go to your Sam. Okay, wait, I got these options. Which one should I listen to first?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: So like the one, but the area where a lot of companies are like, unfortunately not really paying attention, I think our audio and subtitles, like they don't really seem to be checking those very carefully, which drives me nuts as great as a lot of boutique labels are. Um, And God is, I love inner syndrome, but they've dropped the ball on the audio on some things and the subs where it's like, like primal fear is the one that, um, or primal rage, sorry, primal rage. Um, you know, cause it has like the wrong, the wrong English track on there. It's like, ah, come on. Um, yeah, it's this really crappy mono track. It just sounds like garbage. And I'm just like, ah, why you do this nice 4k. And it's, ah, how'd that happen?
Speaker 3: How can, how can you tell that it's the wrong track?
Speaker 6: Because every other release, I mean, the VHS, the DVD, the earlier Blu-ray, like, they're all stereo. It had a Dolby Stereo mix. It sounds amazing. It's a great mix. And I popped in the 4K, and I was like, this sounds like it's in a tin can. Like, what happened? Like, this is not the way this is supposed to sound. Like, immediately, it's like, this is wrong.
Speaker 2: It makes you wonder where that mix went. It's like, did they not have that original mix? Well, another stiff competition was that. Because stiff competition, they put out in 4K, and that was one of, that was an early... Well, actually, I think it was one of the last adult movies that was shown in theaters with stereo. And it came out on the 4K with mono. And I was like, well, I would have loved to have had this looking and sounding state-of-the-art top quality, but I don't think they had access to the original Dolby Stereo tracks of that. Caballero threw away so much stuff. But for something like Parable Rage, that's very surprising with the home video track record of that one.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's too bad. And that's something that Mike was actually good about, because whenever they would transfer, like, especially the Novaks and the Freedmans, because they had access to all the Knicks, but they would always go to the original Magtracks for those. That's why those DVDs still sound good, too, because the sound of those is just pristine, which I don't think people, because, you know, with exploitation, if you're watching, like, some banged-up print, you don't realize, like, just how really well-recorded some of those were.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Especially with music. I mean, they really paid more attention to the sound mix on those than a lot of people tend to give them credit for, I think.
Speaker 1: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 2: Well, what is it? There are some, oh, well, A Hot-Blooded Woman. The soundtrack on that, the sound on that is crazy. It's like I'm listening to a CD recording of those library tracks. I'm like, why does it sound so good? This is from a beaten up print. And I was like, I know it's not from a CD because no one knows what those tracks are. They don't exist right now as far as we know. So, yeah it always is very impressive to me when i'm like oh actually this is why does it sound so good like it's this cheap shot in texas thing that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's something that I don't, I don't think enough people really cover is, are the audio and the subtitle options. And also you make a very good point of noting when it's dubbed titles, which I cannot stand. I don't, I want those because there are so many differences between languages that, yeah, you can't go by what the dub says, like, especially because it's been put on record, like from what's his face. Um, nick alexander where he's like oh yeah sometimes we just make stuff up i'm like oh so that doesn't match the italian dub that with the original script okay so yeah i want the options of both i think it's just a case of like i don't know what the budget is for that i don't know how much more budget it would cost to just translate it but it's.
Speaker 6: Not that much more i mean and i think that now people it's sort of obligatory you have to put sgh subs on your movies anyway now like if you don't kind of get dragged to the mug for it so it's like well forgetting that i might as well just do the translation same And I mean, even cause like there were some holdouts, like sovereign didn't do it for some stuff like beyond the darkness. And there were a couple other titles where they didn't, they only put dub titles on. And I was like, that's the titles for beyond the darkness are useless. Cause like, there's a completely different dialogue. I mean, like in different places, different offscreen dialogue. I mean, it's, it's wildly different. Like you can't, it was, it was used to thank God during the 4k and they'll have that fixed. Um, or like the other, the other hell was one that did that. But, um, you know, but yeah, like on something we were like, we never, back then we never captioned any of those.
Speaker 1: Um, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: For, for what, whatever.
Speaker 2: Um, That's why I'm glad we're getting some of those now with subtitles now. Some of it is hard.
Speaker 3: To hear the dialogue.
Speaker 6: Some of the subtitles should do those because there's some of those for some of the dialogue. If you say that's what they're saying, I'll take your word for it because I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's something else that I... Oh, that was something that irritated me. It was on the Disco Italia release where The name, the St. Peckinpah, the name was misspelled.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was like, how do you misspell Peckinpah? And I think some of the lyrics were off, and I was like, oh, Lord. These are popular songs. You should be able to at least Google the lyrics. But then I wonder, did they make the mistake because it's a legal thing about reprinting lyrics of things? I don't think they think of that.
Speaker 6: I doubt it. Well, another problem is that sometimes you'll have subtitles who are obviously... like in their twenties or something. And they have no reference for all of this stuff. Cause I, Oh yeah. I've noticed on some of your, so there was one video where it was like, obviously the subtitler must've been like 21 or something. Cause there was a movie with, I can't remember what movie it was, but there was like constant pop culture from this, like Ursula Anderson stuff. And they were just making up subtitles. It was like just gibberish. And I was like, I don't know what you're typing here, but I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my, so that was it for Face With Two Left Feet. It was the Kwando, Kwando, Kwando. And I was like, well, this is a standard. Like, you can look up the lyrics to this. And instead, they were just doing whatever. I was like, oh, okay. At least I know the lyrics to this great song. It's fine. But, you know. Yoruba songs are tougher, though, because you have those heavy accents in some of their songs. So, like, if you're going to do, like, well, I don't have a Night Train Murders release, but if you're going to subtitle, like, Demise Rousseau's theme song to that. I don't know if I could subtitle that. I don't know what he's singing half the time. Very thick Greek accent. But, you know, it's tough.
Speaker 6: Take a flower in your hand. That's all I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a flower's all you need. That's kind of all I know from that. I know Gentry... Something else, Gentry, and I definitely want to ask about this, too, because I remember this. I lived through this, was the Borders extra weird DVD situation. Well, first of all, the Borders deal with image and something weird stuff. That was like genius. And I think that really amplified a lot of people's access to the stuff because it was like, oh, yeah, sure, this is on sale. Yeah, we'll buy it, you know. And I know that it opened a lot of, a lot of eyes to, to these movies that otherwise wouldn't have accessed them.
Speaker 3: It wasn't hidden anywhere. It was like prominently placed, you know.
Speaker 2: End cap. Yes. I would run in. I'd be like, Ooh, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: And they sold, I mean, they really sold. I don't, I don't think people realize like the difference in sales numbers between, like I said, sort of the heyday of when DVDs were at their peak versus what it is now. But I mean, it was nuts, like a really high selling title. I mean like blood fees would sell like in the first year, he'd sell like 150,000 units, you know, which is, For a title like that, it's pretty nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, which is now, I mean, we think of it as a huge title, but like, you know, if you put out a 4K Blood Feast, it's not going to sell near that much. Like remotely close. Like Black Sunday sold like 300,000, you know, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But the Something Weird was like sold really well at boarders. I was kind of shocked. Like it was kind of, it was almost like if something, if people saw the Something Weird banner on it, they would just buy it after a certain point. Like it didn't matter what it was. But those were really just flying off the shelves because Best Buy didn't really go in for it that much, which is probably– and Barnes & Noble. Like, they were a little more prudish about it. But Borders, yeah, they were all in with it, and they stocked them pretty heavily. And, yeah, it worked really, really well. And so, for those who don't remember, Borders was kind of like the other Barnes & Noble. They were kind of like a slightly hepper version of Barnes & Noble, I guess.
Speaker 3: You might say.
Speaker 6: But they were in, like, all the major cities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I really miss Borders.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's where I got both copies, both Psychotronic books. I got my first copy of Pink Flamingos, and it was actually 17. It was under 17, and I was afraid they were going to card me and I was going to get busted when I bought it. So I have all these memories tied to Borders and my discovery of a lot of these films. And now that it's gone, it really is like, oh, God. Wistful for something that I probably shouldn't miss that much. But, you know, yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, there's something in that for a bit. That's also one reason why I love the, the something weird stuff is because when I was on my radar and it was coming out again, I was way under 21, way, way under. And, um, but there was a video store, um, and I was going to school is in Florida, but they, they were pretty heavy with the something weird types, but they, they weren't in the porn section. Cause they would have like the adult room, you know, where you had to like have a driver's license or whatever, but it's something weird stuff. It had its own like back wall area because it wasn't really porn. And so even though I'm like, you know, like, you know, 18, 19, whatever. I could rent whatever I wanted. Like I could just grab all of it.
Speaker 3: Um, you know, they didn't care.
Speaker 6: So whatever, cause didn't classify as adult, even the stuff that had technically hardcore in it, but it wasn't really sold as porn. So yeah. So you feel, if we feel you're getting away with something, I think it makes it extra special, which I think that that thrill is probably gone now. Cause you know, you're going to admit no matter what your age is to see whatever you want, which, you know, yay. But yeah, it's, it's not as delicious anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, there was a thrill about going up with like, a collection of cassettes and trying to make sure that the naughty one is hidden in between like the normal ones and so it's just a quick scan and they won't notice what the naughty one is like that is something that that's a generational thing i think that's probably lost you know you don't need to be worrying about trying to slip in some something forbidden into like normal purchases yeah.
Speaker 6: Or the charge when you walk into a movie gallery and you see they have accidentally put the uncut Caligula or Aphrodite inside the case for the R-rated one. You're like, ooh.
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, that was me with Last House on the Left. I would kind of be like, okay, this one's the Vestron one, but which Vestron one? Let me rent this and see if this is the first run or the second run of this.
Speaker 6: Well, they had the same running time, so you were screwed. You couldn't tell.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly so i just like yeah i just had to be like does this look like it's uncut i don't know i i can hear music jump so probably not right yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah well we should we should finish the border story.
Speaker 2: Real quick yeah the borders yeah so this yeah so this was like a special thing that came if you bought a something weird dvd you got like a combo like a like a like a it was like a grab bag dvd of like clips and trailers and.
Speaker 3: Stuff yeah Yeah.
Speaker 6: So this is called extra weird. And this was Mike's idea. Cause he was like, well, border has been so good to us. Let's have a little extra, you know, a little promotional item that we'll make. It was called extra weird. And it was like a trailer sampler. And it's basically every single trailer. And some of these were like new scans of trailers that were like, you know, old, old message on the old DVDs. It was pretty much all new scans, I think. And, um, which is a great idea. And so the deal was if you bought something weird movie, then you would get this thrown in the bag. Um, sounds great in theory. The problem is that he insisted instead of doing chronologically, they want to do everything alphabetically. And the problem with that is the first trailer that comes up is the adult version of Jekyll and Hyde. And so some executive boarders popped it in. And that's the first thing they see is that trailer. They were like, oh, hell no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not great.
Speaker 6: And so they yanked it off the shelves. And that pretty much like that really hurt the whole something weird deal. Like they really cooled off after that because this one guy who got so offended by that trailer.
Speaker 3: Wait, so if it was chronologically, what would have been the first trailer on the tape?
Speaker 6: That is a good question.
Speaker 2: Probably like probably marijuana or reefer madness.
Speaker 6: I think something like that.
Speaker 2: Something in the thirties. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I kind of, I wish it had been chronological. I think that would have been better.
Speaker 2: Assassin of youth. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of those three, probably. Cause I think those were the, I think those are the oldest titles that were ever came out on those releases. There were some forties ones too, but those were all thirties.
Speaker 3: I think that was the oldest ones.
Speaker 2: Never did child bride either. Probably a good thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he won't start that.
Speaker 2: That one's tougher. That's tougher. I was surprised Kino did it, to be honest. I was like, okay, we're going to go with this. Okay. All right.
Speaker 3: But they were able to frame it within context. And I think there's a commentary by Eric.
Speaker 2: It was Eric Schaefer, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that got us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was a little surprised that one came out even so exactly okay i guess i guess if we can still get so you still get copies of pretty.
Speaker 2: Baby and blue lagoon i guess anybody can do anything except Maladella Genza and some other things that nobody.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And I think Limerale, Limerale is not going to come out over here anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Probably not Emmanuel Queen of Sados. That's probably not going to be issued either. Yeah.
Speaker 6: That can't, that sucks.
Speaker 2: Too bad.
Speaker 3: I love that movie, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, at least you can get away with it. Cause it has a body double, but yeah, pretty babies.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 6: It's out there. So yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's out there. It's art. It's Louis mall. So it's art technically.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Um, so the deal, so the extra weird DVD, so it started going for like stupid money. Cause people immediately, as soon as the word got out, like any stores still had them, there were people, you know, trying to get copies. And so it's, I mean, I remember like on eBay copies were going for like absolutely just ridiculous amounts of money. Um, so eventually they kind of forced our hand and we wound up doing it. Um, I think I can't remember if I actually put a retail price on it, but we reissued it without the borders thing on the cover. So if you have one of the borders, like a logo on the, like print on the actual cover, that's actually still worth some money, I think. But there are versions out there that are standard ones. But if you have a borders one, don't ever get rid of it, because that's never going to increase. It'll never happen again, obviously.
Speaker 3: It's part of the legend, yeah, at this point.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, the other ones that I think are legendary and that go for money are the K. Gord Murray ones.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which, the only one I think that came out was Doctor of Doom and Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy. And it was funny, because George Reese at DVD Drive and my editor... he reviewed all the horror adjacent stuff of something weird. He gave me the sexy stuff. So he got all those copies of those, the screener copies. Right.
Speaker 6: The check desks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes.
Speaker 2: The check desks, which I still have all of my check desks. So I have all the image entertainment check desks with the date and everything on them. But yeah, he was, I was excited about that, that, that collection. And what was that? Something with the GATT act or something with like the copy, they weren't public domain technically anymore.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the GAD Act.
Speaker 6: It was, yeah, somebody else. I think... No, I think it was the. Somebody sent a cease and desist on those. I can't remember who it was. But yeah, it was like immediate. Yeah. Because again, several of them in the pipeline. And I think like maybe three other ones had actually gone to the check disk phase. And all of a sudden it was like, bam, horse land. League was like, nope, can't do it.
Speaker 2: The artwork on those was gorgeous. And it came with like... There was a booklet too because I have my Doctor of Doom. I was just like, these are going to be great.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 2: We had to wait for Casanegra to release them and then go out of business. And then hopefully those will be reissued at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, they got indicator did a few, but there's still a lot that haven't been done yet.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know. BCI did a few and then they went out of business.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of Mexican horror. Horror is not really well represented.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Indicator did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like Panther woman, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean like, well, something we're doing like curse of the doll people. which is Mirror, and that kind of stuff. All the K. Gordon Murray imports, basically. I think Spiritism. All the stuff Beverly Wilshire was putting out way back when. And those garbage that you could buy at Best Buy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Those terrible things. Well, that's why it was exciting, because something there was going to basically revamp these. Obviously, they were going to be huge sellers, because there's a big cult over those. Um, so I remember when that happened, it was like, Oh God, come on. I don't want, I don't want legal problems for my, for my, my buddies. It's something weird. Yeah. I think that was the big one that I was like, I was very nervous about what was going to go on moving forward with the company. Just cause I was like, this could bankrupt them. I hope it doesn't go that way. And it didn't, but I was very nervous about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank God there was never a lawsuit. I mean, there was nothing financial. It was just like, you can't do them. Because when you get the season's disc, you just don't put it out. That's all that happens. There's no financial damage. So I don't want you wasted on making the discs.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, I'm still sitting here waiting for an Isabel Sarli box set that's probably never going to happen.
Speaker 2: I have been begging Manda Macabre for one for literally decades at this point. I'm like, guys, you also are the only people to interview her. You have a full interview with her that you cut up for your TV show. Yeah, I don't know. I think there's a market potentially for it.
Speaker 6: I think if you market it right, I mean, if you say it's like, this is like pre-John Waters, because they have that feel for it. If you're into just super high melodrama, sexploitation, I mean, they're so fun.
Speaker 3: They're so great.
Speaker 2: Fuego is nuts. Cindy Sherman programmed a series at MoMA one year, and she programmed Fuego, and they showed it on 35mm, and I went with a teacher of mine who was from Columbia, And we both loved it. It was high camp. There were so many walkouts in that movie because people showed up. And there was a Cindy Sherman thing. They're like, oh, this is going to be art. And it's Isabel Sarli being an infomaniac running around in snow, naked under a fur coat. And I'm just like, this is art. And you'll never see this on the big screen again on a print. Like, this is crazy. Yeah, that was a great experience. Yeah, yeah. See Fuego, if you have not already, Gentry. Fuego is.
Speaker 3: They've got a few up on cultpics.com. I remember seeing... I think they've got Fuego.
Speaker 2: I think they're on to something weird.
Speaker 6: It's also in the VHS masters. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they put out Heat, Naked Temptation, which is incomplete. And then Female 70x7, which has American inserts on that. But there's so many more. I mean, she did one movie after another for her husband, Armando Bo. So there are so many you could put out. what's the one where she tries wants to fuck a horse carne.
Speaker 6: Or fiebre thanks for every i think.
Speaker 2: I for yeah i forget basically a lot of them are her being an infomaniac so they're kind of interchangeable but there's so much fun and i've been begging for them on the macabre box set.
Speaker 3: Yeah they would be a good home for that yeah for sure yeah yeah maybe maybe seven two.
Speaker 6: I was about to say, yeah, come on, Severin, where's our box set of those?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they love the boxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. And they could do a pin. I know they like doing the pins of Severin ladies. She could be a Severin lady. I would want an Isabelle Sarli pin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like her a lot.
Speaker 6: I want an action figure.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God. Can you imagine with the fur coat?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you pull a string on the back and she starts heaving heavily.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing. Yes, I think that's a good idea. Yes, let's do that. See, that would be something that I could see old Scream Factory doing. You know, they love their action figures, or they're used to anyway. But yeah, no, these are ideas we could be bringing to these companies. They wanted to do more sexploitation.
Speaker 3: They write themselves, right? They do, yes.
Speaker 2: She is very John Waters-coded. She's very, yes, she's very over-the-top. She's very Russ Meyer-coded. Yeah, like she is so Erica Gavin in Vixen, except not a racist. She's so over the top. She's great. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, her movie is more comfortable to sit through than Vixen these days.
Speaker 2: Way more comfortable, yes. Fuego is great because you're rooting for her the whole time, and she's so captivating. Yeah, that's such a good one. I'm glad that that came out through Image. That was one of my favorite double features was that release.
Speaker 6: Oh, I was giddy when that came out. I was so happy when I saw it on the list. I was like, oh, here we go.
Speaker 3: What was the second film on that? The Female. The Female, okay.
Speaker 2: 70 times 7. And then there were extras. I think there were inserts or something. There was extra footage as a bonus on that. And I think it was from the American Negative. I don't remember now. Yeah, so much good stuff. Well, that's something we talk about a lot on this. Or I talk about because I won't shut up about it. is that we were really spoiled with this deal because we were getting like two to three releases a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like it was a huge output deal.
Speaker 3: And so now, but now we can kind of understand why, because we heard Nate talk about like the production line that you guys had down there at image. Like it wasn't, it sounds like it was a pretty well-oiled operation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And again, again, I, I liked, again, I keep calling it the wild West year, which is what it really was like, because there were no rules. There wasn't like protocols that you followed. So it's like, you know, our, our, our artists just kind of pretty much the ones who like working on these, they print out free range, whatever they want, as long as Mike was okay with it. I mean, he would just laugh at some of the stuff we came up with. Cause like I would sit down and be like, Oh, we're doing the black cat, the fat black pussy cat. Let's just go nuts with the cover.
Speaker 3: So you can have the.
Speaker 6: Big, I love that cover so much. And the hitchhike to hell DVD cover. I love that one. The way they merge those together, kidnap coed. I love that cover. Um, but yeah, we just had a blast putting all the artwork together and the marketing material could put together one sheets that we, you know, that we used to sell the titles and all that. That's the thing. Again, my title is brand manager, but it was kind of like I was the guy who babysat the movie from the minute that the contract came in to when it got released. It was kind of like I was the guy who sort of shepherded it through all the way through promoting it and getting it out there. It was just kind of a real joy to watch the evolution of each title kind of trickle through the pipeline and working with everybody, making sure that it got treated correctly. I mean, and we did some really nutty ideas for the covers. Cause like, it's just a joke to Mike, you know, we got God monster, but in class and I was like, Oh, let's do a wanted poster and see if you've seen the sheep, put a picture of the sheep on it. He was like, okay. I was like, all right, I guess we'll do that.
Speaker 2: Like that to the Agfa cover. It's like night and day. I still kept my something weird one. Cause it has that extra feature on it, which is not available. Isn't girl. Is it passion in the sun? Girl and the Geek, I think, is the extra feature on that.
Speaker 6: I think so, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it is, which is that's a masterpiece that's insane but yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah there's so many of those titles though that were like chopped up as extras that i wish would come out fully well it's kind of like in the one we just got i really had you know driving miss daisy crazy i'm like well that's nice but can we get after the ball's over.
Speaker 2: Now the ball was over exactly well and that's one i'm trying to i was trying to like Because that was something when we were doing the extras for Degenerate and Pleasures, I was like, well, this could be an opportunity for me to try to find Susan Landau. Or I can try to beg them to put out After the Ball Was Over and they have talent releases. I could try to actually find her and be like, let me find Miss Daisy or, you know, this After the Ball Was Over star. Yeah, I like that one. I like that one.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 2: You know, Alex doesn't like it. Alex describes it as bottom feeder. I'm like, it's not that bad. It's not a Leonard Kirkman movie. It's, you know, it's not that bad. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now that it's come out, like in that sort of truncated version though, I wonder if it ever will through district picks or anything, because it's like, well, they already just, they just released a piece of it. It's like, eh, we'll probably never, it's probably not high on their priority list.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm afraid of. But yeah, it's a shame that a lot of those ones that got diced up, I'm just, I, it kind of, it's kind of heartbreaking that it might never get the full versions of those.
Speaker 2: Cause right.
Speaker 6: There are a few that are real gems.
Speaker 2: Sex Witches of the Occult is another one. And I just re-watched that and I was like, oh, there's substantial hardcore in this. So they could never have released this on Image, including the gay scene on the bench. It's like, okay, this is actual hardcore. Can't put this out. But I think they have the negative to that. That's something I can see Distropix putting out, but you have to put it with something. You couldn't put it on its own. But, yeah, so, I mean, the.
Speaker 1: the.
Speaker 2: Process of putting it all out and the creative aspects and everything. But the fact that there is this deadline and it's an output deal where you're putting out a number of releases a month. I mean, I think it's very, I think it spoiled us as exploitation fans. Cause it was like, okay, we're going to be getting really nice special editions with like trailers and the gallery and bonus features. And for me, it was like discovering, it was like getting, a gift of brand new movies that I didn't know existed every month. And I knew they were going to like blow my mind nine.
Speaker 3: Out of 10 times.
Speaker 2: And so now I feel like that isn't there. I feel like Blu-ray also changed that because Blu-ray is more expensive to replicate and license and everything. But there's so much, there, there's so much stuff that's in the vaults at a lot of these companies. I'm like, you could be doing two to three a month if you were just cranking them out.
Speaker 6: It's just tough.
Speaker 2: It's the, yeah, the, the business is not what it used to be. And I know you know that because it's just, yeah, it's not like it was when you were involved, heavily involved with these, which is like, yeah, I don't know. It makes me sound like old man yells at cloud anytime I bring it up. And I'm just like, well, no, I mean, this is how I became the passionate weirdo that I am is because I was getting these every month. Like I was getting, I was, I was having education on a consistent basis, you know? And so, we're only getting like two or three a year now from, from most companies, uh, combined, you know, like, I think we get max, you know, five or six a year from everybody combined of these types of titles. Um, well, that's the element.
Speaker 6: Of surprise is something that's been lost because I get really excited when something comes out. Like when we're going to show them, did the last picture show set. Um, so I remember like when they first came to me and they were like, we're doing this and we're like, we're considering these 20 titles and we're going to pare it down to 10 or whatever. And I didn't even know which 10 they were going to be because I didn't decide until late in the game. But I was like, oh, this is amazing. Because, like, obviously no one's ever seen these, you know. Or like when Severin did the Clasificat S, the Spanish S set, you know. Because, again, most of those movies nobody had seen. So I love stuff like that where you're just like, this is a totally unknown quantity to me. Like, I don't know what I'm going to be getting into when I open this box up. So I think that was something you had with the Something Weird titles. Because even if you knew one movie on there, chances were, if it was a triple feature, you're like, I don't know what I'm going to be like by the time I'm done with this thing, because who knows?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: If you're watching something like Vibrations, Fluctuation, and Submission, who knows how you end up with an ultimate degenerate in hot blood and lusting hours? I don't know what your mind is after that. Right. But that's fun, you know? What was the other one? Aroused? Rent-A-Girl, Help Wanted Female. Like, incredible. Yeah, I mean, but it is one of those things where it's like, The goal is to, and I guess that ties into your, when you discuss Mike's mindset of like, how much can we pack onto this and make it a quality product? And it's not that. I don't think it's speaking too much out of turn, but like, for example, the Mitchell Brothers stuff is all with vinegar syndrome. They have so many shorts that the Mitchell Brothers shot and short featurettes that were shot. All those could be packed onto there and the bit rate wouldn't go down, but they're not doing that. And so it just feels kind of like I wish there was that Mike Brainy mindset of like, how can we package, how can we make this package as jam-packed as possible without it affecting the visual quality? I think it can be done. I just think it's a question of wanting to do it. We have a different kind of mindset, I think. And yeah, like you said, I think it is the Wild West scenario where it's like, we can do whatever we want. Let's just do, let's just experiment and have fun with as much stuff as we can. but then that's kind of lost. I think you, people should be still be taking those risks and having fun like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, at least people still care. I mean, you've got people in the business who care about these movies, you know, which I think that's really the main thing. You know, you've got labels like severing the vinegar syndrome and all that. And as long as there's like that drive that people out there want to put these out, I think that's, what's really important. And as long as, you know, younger audiences are still finding them out. Cause like when someone's like, Oh, I just discovered these. I'm like, great. You have an amazing journey ahead of you. Like, don't feel like a neophyte, like just go at your own pace and just, you know, watch watch season anywhere that you want it doesn't matter like just dive in and just wallow in the stuff because yeah you're just yeah you've got great times ahead of you so yep yeah.
Speaker 2: We have a few people that we talk to who are like yeah we have listeners that we talk to on the regular who are like in their 20s and they're like okay i'm gonna watch this i'm gonna watch that i'm just like oh my god to to be able to watch this for the first time ever.
Speaker 6: Yeah like wiping your mind and just starting these fresh again it would just be incredible like.
Speaker 2: Yes yes who did I just talk to oh well Jeffrey who comes on the show he's like I think I've only seen two Russ Meyer movies so and I think he was like Cherry Hair and Raquel what do you think about that and I was like well if you haven't seen Faster Pussycat or Motor Psycho or Super Vixens or any of that like Prioritize all of those. And for directors, there are right and wrong choices in that journey. But the genre in general, jump all over the place. You can go to a nudie cutie. You can go to a roughie. You can go to like a 70s thing. Yeah, just jump all over. And that's kind of what the image thing was. It was like, you didn't know what you were going to get. You were getting Wonderful Land of Oz and Jack and the Beanstalk. You know, the Starman movies. You know? Or, yeah, there was some other kiddie one that I was just like, this is truly... I can't believe it. Yeah, it was it was. Yeah, there's just a lot of variety there. And that was what made it so exciting. You just never knew what you're going to get.
Speaker 6: I think that's something that took a while for me to sort of realize is that especially with the huge, the big, really big directors like Russ Meyer and Bradley Massacre, like they're actually like at least a couple of generations who haven't seen those movies because they are not easily accessible, you know. So yeah, so being in like early 20s and being able to start with Russ Meyer, like that just, that amazed me. I mean, because I found those in the 80s on tape and that just like ripped my skull open, you know, watching those. So yeah, just sitting down and watching Faster Pussycat or like Super Vixens or something like that with no warning. Like I can't even imagine that. And I can't, I hope probably the Radley stuff will like come back out again. I want that whole catalog back. I've just been sort of floating around. So hopefully they'll sort that out because he was another one that just like, like seeing LaCroix and Camille, like, you know, within like a week of each other, I was just like, what, what is this? Like, how can this exist? You know?
Speaker 2: Well, do you deal with– well, because first run was Image as well, right? So there was a deal where they put out the Libertine, which is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was– and then that came out through Nucleus. It hasn't come out here yet. But yeah, like the first run stuff, that kept a lot of those Metzgers available for a while in the digital era.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Um, and I luckily I got to hang with Bradley a lot. Um, cause we were, cause, um, you know, cause I knew him stuff really well. And so I would do Q and A's with him and, um, there was talk of me doing a book about him at some point. Um, which sadly, um, hasn't happened. I wish I'd sort of like maybe hit the gas a little bit harder before he died. Um, cause, um, you know, but the problem isn't that they started doing the commentaries for his movies and I was like, well, that just kind of like covered everything I wanted to do. So, um, I have to find a new angle on that. But, um, but yeah, Bradley was amazing. Just like getting to hang with him. I mean, what a guy he was, just the stories were phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the one I want is Therese and Isabel.
Speaker 3: That's my absolute favorite.
Speaker 2: I love that movie. Because I saw that at Lincoln Center, and that was one where, like, it was great seeing it on the big screen, but actually the audience was so receptive to it.
Speaker 1: Oh, good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then, apparently, it showed at the New Beverly a couple months ago, and during the Arrow schedule, and people were apparently being really restless about it. And I was just like, well... When they paired it with Liquorice Quartet, which those are my two favorites of his, but I can imagine if you're watching them back to back, it's probably a lot. Like I saw those, I saw those theatrically, but individually, like separately. That was quite a double feature. His stuff is tough to double feature, I think. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a lot to take in.
Speaker 6: It depends on the crowd.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I've seen a lot of his stuff theatrically multiple times and yeah, it is interesting. The crowd, I can see how Trish Isabel could like really misfire with the wrong group at the wrong time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Um, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I suppose.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, like score always kills with the crowd. Like you said, it never fails. I mean, it always, I mean, it just brings the house down, like, like start to finish. Um, Camille works really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, we'll see. But yeah, I really hope they, now they're starting restoring them. I know Tristan Isabel has been, done a beautiful restoration on that. So hopefully they'll get them back out there and people can start, you know, seeing more widely.
Speaker 2: I hope so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Score.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that basically all the hardcores are eventually coming from, from Melusine. Cause I think they still have all of those, but I think score is going to be, they haven't put it out before, but I think they are going to, I think. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that one.
Speaker 2: I wish Jared Douglas was still around to do a commentary. Cause he was kind of the co-director of that. He directed the actors and everything. Cause it was a play. But yeah, that is there. there were other like sexploitation things that came out through image. Were you involved with those either as well? Or was it just the, the image stuff? Like I'm thinking of like the, the Ted V. Michaels with like girl in gold boots, which.
Speaker 3: Is kind of sexploitation.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah. I worked with Ted a lot. Um, actually I had to teach, I had to teach Ted how to do an audio commentary.
Speaker 2: God. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bet you did. Cause I remember some of those early comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Cause he turned in his first couple of ones when he was just like, And now he's opening the door. And now he's walking in the other room. And I was like, Ted, Ted, come on. People don't want to hear this.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Poor guy.
Speaker 6: I love Ted, though.
Speaker 3: He was a nice guy.
Speaker 6: He's such a sweetheart.
Speaker 3: He was a nice guy.
Speaker 2: I love Girl in Blue. That was the one he always told me to watch. That and Black Klansman. Anytime I'd have a question about a movie that he knew was garbage, he'd be like, yeah, not one of my better movies. Make sure you watch black Klansman and girl in gold boots. I was like, I've seen them. I love them. I agree. I don't have any questions about those.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anything that was under the, the, um, basically any, any of the cult movie stuff pretty much like went through me. Um, all of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Um, any other stuff, even some of the later stuff, you know, like there's nothing out there, even like the eighties, nineties, whatever that I usually handled anyway, because people were like, it's weird. Give it to Daniel. Um, And they tried to change things up for a while because they started shifting stuff around. They're like, oh, now you can handle all the music concert titles. I was like, really? Why? Like, no, thank you.
Speaker 3: What was your timeline at Image?
Speaker 6: It was around late 2000, I think is when I started. Well, it's when I started DVD Planet. And so that ran about a year. And so then I jumped over to Image. And then it went till around, I think it was late 2010, I think.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: Because this was right when we were in... Because there was... Okay, so Image decided in its infinite wisdom, this is a mistake other companies have done, that they wanted to be a big player. They wanted to go theatrical. They wanted to put out their own movies. And they spent a ton of money on this movie called Management, which Jennifer Aniston and Steve Zahn.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 10: Who is it? Management.
Speaker 2: Champagne.
Speaker 1: Why? Why?
Speaker 3: Would you like me to open it for you? Here's to people being happy. You have a great butt.
Speaker 2: Do you do this a lot, Mike?
Speaker 6: Very rarely. Does it ever work?
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 6: I don't know why. I don't know why I thought it would be a big hit. Oh, she's on Friends. You were going to come see this.
Speaker 2: Was it Sidney Kimmel or something? I forget the producer. I work with his company. We represent that for airlines at our company.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Weirdly.
Speaker 6: So that happened. Didn't make a dime. And then they decided, oh, well, Walmart was really huge at the time because Walmart would buy huge quantities and they would spend a lot of money and they would dump and they would buy stuff for their $ 5 bin, which was like, if you got a $ 5 bin, you were, you know, you're great. But they didn't take into account, a lot of labels got screwed over the entertainment account. If it doesn't sell, it's coming back and you're going to take a hit on that stuff. And so they sold... They went out selling, oh, we'll sell 300,000 copies of Short Circuit to Walmart. It's like, are you insane? Why are you doing that? Because it's all going to come back. So decisions like that were ill-advised. And in the meantime, there was a very aggressive hostile takeover attempt by Lionsgate. They really wanted to buy Image out, and they were going to the shareholders, and they were really trying to do it. And Image just barely managed to fend them off. It was grim. It was grim. like a few months when that was going on. Um, cause they really just wanted to like suck up the library and just dissolve the whole company. And that was going to be it. Uh, and eventually they realized, well, you know, after we've, after all this stuff had gone down, they're like, well, we've got to do something with this company. We got to find somebody to buy it out. Cause you know, otherwise we're going to be in hot water. And so they wound up getting bought by a company called RLJ entertainment, which was run by the guy who owned BET. And he, um, also bought, um, acorns. And since then, they've been bought out by AMC. And so that's why Image is involved in stuff by Shudder. And it's all just a big conglomerate of things. The Image Entertainment name still exists on some things, but it's just a filing cabinet. It's not really a company anymore. So when RLJ first bought them out, there was one round of layoffs where they laid off maybe a couple of QC people, a couple of artists, a little bit of trimming off the top. And we knew there was going to be more than that. But that was one round. We were like, oh, here it comes. And that was going down. But I'm just chugging ahead doing my thing. And I also had worked on a lot of TV stuff at the time because one of my real babies, my real babies later on in the image was one was getting the Sylvester Stump Caligula done, which I spent like a year on.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 6: Because that was just like.
Speaker 2: What a labor of love. What an incredible release. Good grief. So comprehensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Because I pushed hard because I was like, you guys have the penthouse thing. Why has no one done a special edition? They were like, well, what could you do? And I'm like, it is the most amazing behind the scenes story of any movie ever. Like you can't. It's the craziest thing. I mean, like the movie has flaws, but like just, you could do the most amazing addition for this. So they were like, fine, we'll, we'll just, you know, kind of check the penthouse and they're, you know, they'll, they'll fund the special edition. So I got everybody involved with it. Um, and the other one that I really want to do, cause we had to deal with NBC universal and I was like, I really want to do thriller, the TV series, the Boris Karloff one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Um, that was like a real baby of mine that I wanted done. And so I brought in, um, Steve Mitchell, who I still do tracks with sometimes I brought him in to, um, he basically kind of lived in our office for a while, um, helping out doing all the commentaries and interviews and stuff like that. Cause I just didn't have time. Cause it was, if you, if you have the set, you know, there's like, there's like commentaries on every single episode on that.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I can't do that.
Speaker 6: Um, it was stacked. So we did the first season of thriller and I was just starting season two. And that's when the next round of layoffs hit. And, uh, So the guy who was heading marketing at the time, this guy named Steve DeMille, they were doing all the layoffs that morning, and they thought they were done. I was about to go to lunch with our Criterion person named Julianne. I was about to walk out the door, and they were like, oh, Nathaniel, come here for a second. I was like, oh, shit. So I went in his office, and sure enough, got the layoff papers. It was like a total, I mean, I think like half the staff was gone that day. It was really bad. But then it's like a week later, they realized it was like I was working on like 30 projects that they had a lot of money sunk into, including Thriller Season 2. And they were like, uh, we have no idea how to do this. Like, we don't know at what stage these are in. Like what? Cause you know, it's all on my computer and they'd shut it down. And I was like, okay. So they had to bring me back to work for like another eight months, a freelance and basically pay me twice as much to work and finish all the stuff I was doing.
Speaker 3: Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 6: So it wasn't like an unfriendly split. I mean, I know why it happened. You could tell that things were sort of winding down, you know, obviously. Um, and like, as soon as I was done with that, I mean, I, like a year after that, I think hardly anybody was left from the original gang. They got sort of sucked up in RLJ. They kept like maybe two of the art people and maybe one or two other, like the legal person.
Speaker 3: I think it kind of worked out well for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh, it was totally fine.
Speaker 2: Cause yeah.
Speaker 6: Once I finished, then I went to work for the Oscars and I was like, woo. So, um, it all worked out, but I mean, I do miss it because like I said, it was a dream gig. It was just fun. Cause like you never knew week to week who you were going to be talking to. Um, you know, it's like, Oh, you want to, tomorrow, you want to go talk to Johnny legend for a commentary? I'm like, okay, fine. Sure.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 6: Um, or like, you know, or Hey, Mike and Lisa are coming into town, you know, let's, let's plot out the next 20 titles. I was like, great. Um, so, you know, there, that aspect is gone, um, which I don't think any job would ever get that bad.
Speaker 3: Cause that time, that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't exist.
Speaker 6: But I mean, just that the amount of like sex exploitation stuff that, that we managed to get out in front of the public, it just still kind of like freaks me out that we got away with murder. I think against some of those things, like, There's the last trilogy on DVD, you know, sitting there in borders. What kind of world is this?
Speaker 2: Just corrupting one mind after another.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just like to think that like.
Speaker 2: Under the corporate umbrella. She's so crazy. Yeah, it really is crazy when you think about it. Yeah, a lot of corruption going on. One mind at a time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some crazy 15-year-old kid out in the boonies of Illinois or something might have gotten that disc and changed their life. Who knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They could be listening right now. I keep forgetting that people actually listen to this thing and people are like, Oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Um, yeah, actually Johnny legend. I wanted to ask about, because those two commentaries I love on the Mondo mod can't be revolt because it really is just like them talking about what LA used to be like at that time. And then they also cover San Francisco. And it really is like a great look at counterculture and like, movie culture and stuff like that in.
Speaker 3: The town those dudes were like actually on those streets like they know them so well yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes those are great commentaries and uh that's yeah i that's the thing that's those are those are two others or at least i know mondo mods with novak i'm just like i would love those to get reissued just because those commentaries are so great there's just as exciting and interesting as the movies Yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember like wrestling 211 USA was a fun one to do too. The track we did on that one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I forgot about that one. It's just jumping all over the place. You never knew.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like a disc all it's all about wrestling. See, and that's the funny thing. When it was reissued by Kino, it was paired with something else. And I was like, well, it's not a disc packed with nonstop wrestling. All over the disc. Yeah, that's wrestling content.
Speaker 3: Start to finish that whole disc.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I love the keynote call. They're doing, they're putting out, but yeah, it doesn't have the whole sort of like just free for all like buffet pack to the gills feeling you got on those DVDs.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: No, it's a little more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a little more like Eric Schaefer. It's a little more historical. It's a little more, not respectful, but it's a little more like, it's like, it's like institutional care. Whereas it imaged in something weird feels like, well, this is a free for all. It's wrestling. Here's wrestling. Right.
Speaker 3: You know, Brett Wood has a perspective on these films that is different. You know, he's coming from, like, a restorationist's perspective.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: Like, a historian of, like, early exploitation. That's, like, his mindset, sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 3: And Shakespeare's the same way.
Speaker 2: Because Shakespeare literally wrote the book on that genre.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But, like, the Sexploiter's raw love, like, that release feels like kind of a throwback to the Image days. Because, you know, raw love, nobody expected that.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, they do get the vibe back, like the 3D nudie cutie disc, I think, kind of gets that vibe back as well.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm going to hit you back to Monster Across the Pajama Party. That's the first place you could see the Asylum of the Insane footage.
Speaker 1: 3D!
Speaker 2: Like, do we get, I don't know, I guess you get Blu-ray releases with 3D glasses in them, but it feels like something that I really only remember getting with DVDs. And like, Monster Across the Pajama Party... Well, when the monsters crossed the pajama party, it was kind of like, oh, why do I need 3D glasses for this? Because the movie's not in 3D, right? And it's like, well, you'll find out why. You know, in the back it says there's stuff in 3D, so you're going to see stuff in 3D.
Speaker 3: Well, before we let you go, maybe we could run through the most wanted image. Something that was released on ImageDVD, but that hasn't been upgraded yet.
Speaker 6: There's so many.
Speaker 2: 90% of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give us, Nate, one or two that you can think of off the top of your head.
Speaker 6: Oh, gosh. Well, there's plenty of Novaks. I would say Toybox. Toybox and Wilbur are way up on my list.
Speaker 2: Toybox is so high on my list.
Speaker 5: Good picks, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I really want those badly. Obviously, Fuego is a huge one for me. I would kill to get Fuego on Blu-ray or whatever. Love of God, make it happen. Somebody, please. God, what else? Oh my God, there's so many of those things. Yeah, I mean... They're not great movies, but I really would love just a box of all the Novak Southern nudie movies.
Speaker 2: We both do as well. Yes, we both do. Yeah, I don't know. Well, I think I just discovered Bethel Buckler only died like three years ago. He'd been around this whole time. He died at like, I think he was like 99 or something. I was like, damn it. I would have loved to call him to know more about this stuff. But his son Mark is still around and Mark is in Which one is he in? I think it's he's in Country Cousins because he's molested by Renee Vaughn in that movie. And I'm just like, your dad was directing you getting jumped on by Renee Vaughn. So I know he has good stories if we'll talk.
Speaker 3: But yeah.
Speaker 2: I would love those. I just don't know what the marketability is with those. Did those do well for image? Oh, yeah.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think if people, if people looked at the sales spectrum, some of these, it would be really shocked at what sold and what didn't. Cause I think, I think the certain directors, people assume they do better than they do. And some people think things sell worse than they do. The Harry Novak's pretty much across the board sold really well. Anything freedom sold well, um, any, any freedom titles pretty much because they had the, you know, they had the catchy titles, they had the marketing, they just, they had the oomph behind them. Um, the worst ones by a long shot were the Joe Sarno's like not even close, like absolute bottom. Like, I mean, and we, I mean, and Mike loved them and I loved them. I mean, we kept putting them out, but like we knew it was like, it's going to be the very bottom. Like if it sells a thousand, great, but it's yeah. Nobody bought those, which I think, I think Sarno just has that cachet as a name that he's sort of a respectable exploitation guy. And I think they found out with the Blu-ray story coming on, they're like, you know, why is nobody buying these? Like, well, they never did. Like, yeah. Um, which is a shame. And you know, I love them, but it's like, they don't, they're almost like too respectable. They're a little too arty. I think, um, people just don't really know how to process it. Cause they don't really give you the goods. I think, um, even though they're very well made movies.
Speaker 3: Right. Like a Harry Novak, you get the goods.
Speaker 6: You do. You know, like Doris, Doris Wishman sold like hotcakes. I mean, Doris sold like crazy, no matter what it was.
Speaker 3: But the Sarnels give you a different kind of goods, you know, depends on what you're in it for, you know? Yeah.
Speaker 6: But it's, it's much harder to sell.
Speaker 2: Very much so. And I think that's probably why he jumped from producer to producer because people were like, well, we like the work you do and you do it quick and we like the movies, but they're not making money. So like, we can't keep doing business with you because we're not making money from you. And yeah, that's, and that is kind of, I thank you for confirming that. Cause I have been saying that for years. Cause Lisa and Mike have been like, yeah, Saunders don't really sell. And I'm like, well, Nathaniel would know. Hallows are sending the suburbs sold. And unfortunately, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm cutting this from the podcast so nobody hears this. Because we want to put out more Sarnos.
Speaker 2: Well, especially because now the ones that are lost are basically found. They just are... in a holding cell waiting to come out but if they don't accept it the problem is they won't sell so the question is how to get them in front of the eyes that's why.
Speaker 3: Yeah you put these out in like budget budget releases you know just pack them all on some kind of budget release that's you know i i don't see any other way to do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know maybe another lost picture show but that's how deep inside came out if they put out deep inside by itself that would have tanked Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, if you mix it with something else, that's how it's going to work. You can't, but if you do sort of by themselves, it's like, it just doesn't happen. Like, I don't know why it is, but there's just, there's a resistance in the public. There always has been. And I, I can never figure out how to crack it. It's like, how do you make people buy these things? And they just would not do it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because I feel like retro seduction was able to make those work. And I don't know if it's because they were color and in seventies and they had, they had familiar porno people in them, like Jennifer Wells.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also the Swedish stuff, so like Marie Forza and Butterflies, and they put those out. They were able to do very well with those, and I don't know if it was because they're not black and white and they're sexier. They kind of deliver more of the goods that you're expecting, maybe.
Speaker 6: Well, I think a title like Adventures of an American Housewife, that sells better. Great title. When you hear all the Sons of Sodom, like, what?
Speaker 3: I don't like that title.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Red Rose is a passion. Great title though. But yeah, a lot of them not great. Well, was there ever a difference between sales for stuff that was clearly black and white versus stuff that was color? Was that ever like a big thing that you can think I can notice?
Speaker 6: Not so much as long as it has something exploitable. Um, like I said, the rough is also really well, um, I mean, even like odd things. I mean, even like something like Bwanga Bwanga, which is a ridiculous double feature, but it's all fine. Like it actually did pretty well. That's a good release.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is. But like, I thought it was going to be a tougher sell than it was. Like I like people going, what? But it actually did okay. Like it did better than I thought it would. You know, but yeah, the black and white stuff, it tended to sell pretty well. The JD stuff, maybe not quite as, it did okay. Like the.
Speaker 2: How interesting.
Speaker 6: Teenage movies.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: They did fine. Like better than the Sarnas for sure.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Well, like Violent Years at least has the Ed Wood angle, but stuff like Lost, Lonely, and Vicious in Jacktown, probably a little tougher. Or like High School Big Shot, High School Caesar, and Date Bait. I love that triple feature, but I can see that being a little tougher. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, my least favorite was always 50,000 BC and When Women Play Ding Dong or When Women Whatever. And I think that was the one that I really raked over the coals and I thought that I was going to get banned from reviewing those. I was like, guys, this is garbage. The transfers are garbage. The movies are garbage. And I was like, well, they're allowed to have a miss every once in a while. It can't all be great. you know, sometimes it really is just by getting as much out as you can. And these were available and they thought they could market it, you know?
Speaker 1: No, exactly.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, there's no way that everyone's going to like every title that they put out. I mean, it was, it was so all over the map. Like there's, there's absolutely impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or like mighty Gorga, 1 million ACDC.
Speaker 6: Oh my Lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like you said, like the, the kitty double features, it's like, I mean, there are certain, some of the weird customers are going to like, they won't even know how to process what's in front of their eyes.
Speaker 2: Like, I was like, Oh, great. Barry Mahon. Great. Yeah. Let's see what he can do with a kitty movie, you know? Uh, but yeah, I could see how that'd be a tougher sell.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what like Agfa has been doing is like putting some of that stuff in like those big drive-in releases and just like, Hey, just hit play. Just let it go.
Speaker 6: And just, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I like their kitty. Their kitty said actually it was fun. Like that's kind of how you have to do it. Just make it like a nonstop, like marathon experience.
Speaker 3: It just video party.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It just like turns your brain to mush as you're watching it by the end. You're just drooling on your sofa. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, yeah. I mean, Princess and the Frog is the good one on that, I think. I enjoy Princess and the Frog. I mean, it's no Jimmy the Boy Wonder, but I love that one.
Speaker 3: You love Jimmy's Boy Wonder.
Speaker 2: I do. I'm surprised that actually wasn't put out, but again, it's a kiddie thing. Actually, we were talking about these cut-down versions that you wish the full versions were released. We don't need the full version of Magic Land of Mother Goose. The cut-down version is fine. We don't need the full version of that. 30 minutes is perfect. I don't want the whole thing of that.
Speaker 6: Just like a Bellator movie where it's just like, oh, it's abstract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm surprised that Herschel didn't try to make that argument. He was very honest. He was like, no, it's just some piece of shit that we were paid to make. Like this guy at a stage show and paid us to do it.
Speaker 3: Like, okay.
Speaker 2: That's what it looks like. That's what it is.
Speaker 6: It's like, it's like Dogville. It's all the stage. Life is a stage.
Speaker 2: Oh my God.
Speaker 3: Actually.
Speaker 2: Yes. It's very, it's a large venture. It's Dogman 95. It's a Dogman 95 experience, right? Jesus. Um, well, so, but so you're doing a lot of commentaries now for like Kino and a few other places, but are you, I'm trying to remember if you've been doing anything on like sexploitation or sexploitation adjacent stuff.
Speaker 6: Not a ton i mean i did do apocalypse sexual uh sex apocalypse of that from under macabre i've done a lot of euro sexploitation um but the thing is yeah like a lot of them are with bender syndrome rag for whoever it's like they kind of have their own stable um and for some reason i've done stuff for them in other capacities for some reason they don't they have their own sexploitation folks they do which is fine um so yeah for whatever reason i've done sexploitation in a while um but who knows if the novaks ever come around i'd be happy to jump on one and doing without Harry around would probably be a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh my God. Exactly. We can get you on a commentary with Mark Buckaloo. Get the real deal on what it was like to shoot these movies down the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Those are fun.
Speaker 6: And there's so much more stuff coming out now that, I mean, I've done my ton of just Frank goes and all that kind of stuff, but I mean, it's, it's just a, it's a nonstop pile of stuff. So.
Speaker 3: Well, in your tape, like your knowledge and your tastes are so well, broad you know you could cover just about anything.
Speaker 6: Yeah i mean it's kind of psychotic like i remember in like a one-week period i think i was doing like oh today i'm doing super coach where i'm doing dead and buried it's like yeah okay sure whatever like.
Speaker 2: Lord i'm sure this could be connected somehow.
Speaker 6: I don't know how probably in some way but.
Speaker 3: In some weird way right Yeah, those Buckaloos, you know, that I always look every now and then on eBay for that Southern collection that came out on DVD. And yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: The repackaging.
Speaker 3: It's like hundreds of dollars to get that set these days. So it's like, just redo that set in Blu-ray. I mean, you could basically just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: It's right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that template is already set.
Speaker 6: It's quite promising, though.
Speaker 2: Actually, if it's going for good money, that's potentially... I mean, honestly, that's what the Code Red boys did when they were like, how much does this VHS sell for on Amazon? Oh, like $ 300. We're going to try to re we're going to try to license this movie and get it for Blu-ray. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it didn't, but sometimes you go by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Exploitation still sells like a lot. I think it would actually do really, really well if they did it as a set. And I was actually a little surprised because it image, but that was kind of later in the game. But when we're, you know, cause our sales team was talking to Mike and we were like, let's try it. Cause they were into doing box sets for a while. Cause that's what stores want. Like again, Walmart borders all that they wanted, you know, discounted sets and so we're like how can we do these and something where mike was to plot out how we could box set these things and what can we call them you know so we did like the storybook set.
Speaker 3: You know the storybook yeah yeah that was a really fun.
Speaker 6: One i love that set um but yeah they're all these pre-existing discs that we had out there it's like how can we just pack them together and did the southern set yeah we did all those and yeah they sold great so a lot of people still didn't have those and we're like oh okay i'll gamble on getting these you know these four or five you know dvds because i get like nine movies or whatever you know it was a great deal.
Speaker 3: That is a good deal.
Speaker 2: What was the one that Beast that Killed Women and Monster Came Sunshine went into? Was it like Beasts and Blondes or something? Something like that, yeah.
Speaker 6: Beast and Beauties, I think.
Speaker 2: Beast and Beauties, yeah, because I think Mighty Gorga might have been in there. Maybe. I don't remember. Yeah, because I just remember Beast that Killed Women was in there and I was like, what a great way to fool more people into watching this Barry Mahon movie. So, any way to trick people into watching Barry Mahon.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's all in the title. I mean, that thing sold like crazy. That's all it takes.
Speaker 2: That was something I would... Well, and that was always something nice. All the Barry Mahon shorts that would just show up randomly on basically every other release would have a Barry Mahon short on there. And the Instant Moonshine was on... Or Instant Orgy was on most of them, I think. That was a go-to. Yeah. Or Naked Moonshine. I think that's the other one, but... Yeah. Yeah, I miss it. I miss the good old days. As a consumer... Ask.
Speaker 3: Brett how the nude camera, nude Las Vegas is doing just because of the title. I wonder if it's seen a little uptick in sales because it has nude in the, in the name or if that hurts it these days. I don't know. People are scared.
Speaker 2: The slip cover is good on that. Like, and I can't believe the restoration work that went into that. Like, cause when we got, we got our comp, we got our comp copies on that. And I, I was excited to hear Brett did commentary on the outtakes and his commentary was essentially like, they had to recreate the movie essentially for a lot of it from the 16 millimeter originals that they found at the burlesque hall of fame and museum. So most of the movie is from that 16 millimeter original, and then it cuts to a 35 print and you can see the difference, but like, that's the best looking color Barry Mahon movie that we have outside of the dead one on, on Blu-ray. And I, that might be the way it is. I don't see us getting a nice nudes on tiger reef or beast to kill women, actually piece to kill women maybe, but, um, Yeah, I don't know. I want the black and whites. I want sex killer. I want prostitutes' protective society. Yes. Hot skin, cold cash.
Speaker 3: That'd be another good box set to do.
Speaker 2: The black and white Mahons?
Speaker 3: Put those all together, yep. Kind of like the, yeah, the roughy Mahon era. Something like that, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So basically, you and I need, so Nathaniel, you and I then need to basically... Do a group work on Mondo Macabro to convince them to do the Isabel Sarli.
Speaker 6: I will do whatever it takes to make that happen.
Speaker 2: I know. Well, the thing was, I was begging Pete and Andy for years. Now that Jared is so involved, I'm like, Jared, let me reintroduce you to a suggestion that I suggested for years. Maybe you'll be more receptive. Yeah, I think he would be. But he also has Neon Eagle now, so I don't know. He does a lot of stuff for Neon Eagle, which I love, too. But, yeah, I feel like Surly is a no-brainer. I say no-brainers for a lot of stuff, but I'm like, well, I'd buy it. But I guess the question is the marketability.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're coming from the perspective of fans as well. But we also know that there are other factors going into decisions.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of crossover... Yeah. Like I'm thinking of like market it to like Latin, Latin, Latin Spanish speaking viewers who they potentially know who she is because there were like Spanish language prints of her stuff that would show in like Spanish only theaters in America. So like they would potentially know who she is. I think, uh, yeah, I mean, she's the Argentinian Elizabeth Taylor. Margo is that, you know, she's in, she, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, uh, Well, yeah, Gentry knows. Gentry's writing the book on Annie Bell. I feel like there are so many unsung women that don't really get any attention. We can all love Laura Gemser, obviously, but then there's people like Isabel Sarli or Dagmar Lissander that don't really get enough attention.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no kidding. Where's our Laura Blu-ray, by the way?
Speaker 2: I've gotten, yeah, I am triggered. Yeah.
Speaker 3: David Gregory.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They tried looking for the elements and they kind of disappeared.
Speaker 6: Oh no.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought it was the rights owner. I thought it was a rights owner issue.
Speaker 3: The rights owner couldn't find the elements.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I looked back at the correspondence.
Speaker 2: The rights owner problem was for Bluebell, right? Was that the problem? Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's always worth a shot to ask again. That's what I say, you know, because they might turn up. They might find him in another room, you know. Right.
Speaker 6: Like the Acid Eaters commentary, like, yeah, he's checking in fighters later. Like, oh, it's right in front of me the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 3: Or, you know, that Love Camp 7 audio commentary, that piece of that showed up on the Hotspur release. So, yeah, these things show up. Well, actually, as Mr.
Speaker 2: Caligula, I do have to ask you before we end. What did you think of the ultimate cut of that?
Speaker 6: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I came from it as, I don't know. Well, you might know because you were involved with the Blu-ray, which is kind of the ultimate edition that's come out in general. I don't know why they didn't ask Tinto Brass to just recreate what he wanted to do. I don't know if it's because he's too old. I don't know if because he said no, but the fact that he basically was vocally publicly saying, don't watch this. I was like, I feel like this is a missed opportunity. I would have liked to have seen what his was. I don't know if Penthouse didn't want that, though.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's still legal things where they're like, keep him away from this.
Speaker 6: No, it's not a legal thing. It is a long, contentious story, which I can't say on the record.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, maybe it's time to hit the.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Oh girls, we can't just sit here feeling sorry for ourselves. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 4: To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network, please select the link in the description.
Speaker 10: Hey everybody, this is Ryan from the New World Pictures Podcast, where we're on a mission to watch every movie ever made by New World Pictures. With me as always is Mark. Every movie? Every movie! Every movie? From the Roger Corman cult classics like Battle Beyond the Stars.
Speaker 3: Help!
Speaker 2: And the super weird stuff you've never even heard of like Eat and Run. Makes your tongue want to say, hey, it's nice in here.
Speaker 10: Yes, Mark. Every movie.
Speaker 6: And Erica.
Speaker 3: Every movie?
Speaker 10: Yes, Erica, every movie.
Speaker 3: Every movie.
Speaker 10: So we're still talking about Night 2.
Speaker 2: I've seen it.
Speaker 3: And all the bonus stuff too.
Speaker 2: We're talking things we love, things we hated, favorite scenes, inside jokes. And I know we're not at final questions, but are we still talking about Ryan's research?
Speaker 5: I know I am.
Speaker 10: So check out our website, newworldpicturespodcast.com or subscribe to the New World Pictures Podcast wherever you listen to your podcasts. Follow us on the socials. And we'll see you next time at the new world pictures podcast. Proud to be a part of someone's favorite productions podcast network.