Speaker 1: The music.
Speaker 2: It is necessary for the recording of sound to convert the sound waves to corresponding changes in light. The sound waves produced by my voice are transmitted through the air to the microphone, where these sound waves are converted to changes in an electric current. These variations in the electric current are then amplified and used to control the light. This varying beam of light falling on the photoelectric cells produces variations in the electric current which are directly proportional to the variations in the light. Themes the crack. As the varying electrical current in the photoelectric cell is small, a ventuum tube amplifier is required to increase it to the point where it will operate a loud speakers.
Speaker 3: Con track. Welcome to the Occult Rejects. This is the third and final installment of the Jamachio Numerology and Cipher series, and obviously it's the cipher part of the series since we didn't get to that in the first two. So uh yeah, I got the I got the usual suspect with me again, I got Lisa with me, finishing off this three part series that I had a really good time doing. I learned a lot, found some interesting stuff and it was really just I was happy to put this out for real. Same, Yeah, I think it was some a lot. Yeah, yeah, I think it was some interesting work to you know, to say the least. And I will pretty much get it going and started off. I guess I'll add to people who have not well, if you haven't seen the first one or two, obviously you haven't seen the second one yet, this hasn't come out yet, but you should be okay, still checking this out. But I do suggest if you're coming across this to check out the first one, you know, the first one or two when you can. And here we go. So I actually both of us have a bunch of ciphers that we wanted to cover that I think are interesting and just to be honest, I even think it's wild how many ciphers are out there and how many are still used and who they came from. I mean a lot of them actually seem to have come from occultists. So I thought that was just interesting to show as well. You know, because again I will reiterate something I've said multiple times. I do question if there's times that we're looking at the English language completely wrong, you know, and I do think that this is a way of that happening. I wanted to get into, you know, the Golden Dawn, so I knew from the past that they had had some stuff. I thought it'd been interesting to cover them a little bit in this as well. The interesting thing is is that the first two years of podcasting with the Occult Rejects, I actually didn't learn or cover too much about the Golden Dawn. This doesn't make any sense to me, but somehow that happened, and I figured this year I'm actually going to cover a little bit about them. So besides this, I will be covering some interesting things about the Golden Dawn. But to get into it with the Ciphers, they do have the rose cross, or some people call it the symbol of the rose and cross. The rose cross is a symbol largely associated with the legendary Christian rosen Cruse, Christian cabalyst and alchemist and founder of the Rosicrucian Order. The rose cross is a cross with a rose at its center, often red, golden, or white, and symbolizes the teachings of a Western esoteric tradition with Christian tenants. The Rosicrucian Manifestos were written during the Protestant Reformation in Germany in nineteen in fifteen twenty. In fifteen twenty, Martin Luther had a seal made with a five pedaled white rose encapsulating a heart with a simple cross in the center. Many allegorical and esoteric explanations for the rose cross have arisen over the centuries. Some groups, such as the ancient and mystical order Rose Crucius, purport that the rosy cross predates Christianity, where the cross represents the human body and the rose represents the individual's unfolding consciousness. Some deep stuff there. Some say the rosy cross as a symbol of the human process of reproduction elevation to the spiritual very interesting. The fundamental symbols of the rosicrusions were the rose and the cross, the rose female and the cross male. As generation is the key to material existence, it is natural that the rosicrusion should adopt its characteristic symbols those exemplifying the reproductive processes, as regeneration is the key to ex to spiritual existence. They therefore founded their symbolism upon the rose and the cross, which typify the redemption of man through the union of his lower temporal nature with his higher eternal nature. It is further a symbol of the Philosopher's Stone, the ultimate product of the alchemist. Connections between Freemasonry and the rose cross exist from times preceding the formation of actual Grand Lodge in seventeen seventeen, as it is proved by the poem Threnody of Henry Adamson from sixteen thirty eight. We are brethren of the rosy crossy we have the Masonic where we have the Mason word and second sight. The rosy cross is also a symbol found in some Masonic Christian bodies and employed by individuals and groups formed during the last centuries for the study of Rosicrucian and allied subjects, but derived from the adoption of a red rose. Within the Southern jurisdiction of the Scottish Right Body of Freemasonry, the eighteenth degree is specifically concerned with the rose cross and confers with the titles of Knight rose Cross, one version of the degree Albert Pike wrote about in eighteen seventy one. The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn made use of the rosy cross as well, including the ritual of the rose Cross, which is how I came to know what this was, because I did practice that back in the day. Designed for spiritual protection and as preparation for meditation. Based on the Rosicrucian symbol of the red rose and the cross of gold, it is also a key symbol of the Golden Dawn's second order. According to Israel Regardi, the Golden Dorn rosy cross contains attributes for the elements, planets, zodiac, Hebrew alphabet, alchemical principles, the hexagram, n pentagram, the sepherod of the Tree of life, and the formula of Inri, which is the formula that I had mentioned was used in the planetary hexagram ritol. On the back side of the rosy cross is inscribed the motto of the Zelder ademptis miner at the bottom and that is the Master Jesus Christ, God and Man. That's between four Maltese crosses, and in the center written in Latin, blessed be the Lord, our God, who hath given us the symbol signum and to continue regard he says of the Rosy Cross and the Golden Dawn. The rose cross is a lineman or badge synthesizing a vast concourse of ideas representing in a single emblem the great work itself, the harmonious reconciliation in one symbol of diverse and apparently contradictory concepts, the reconciliation of divinity and manhood. It is a highly important symbol to be worn over the heart during every important operation. It is a glyph in one sense, of the higher Genius to whose knowledge and conversation the student is eternally aspiring. You're supposed to be always inspiring to have kind of like knowledge and conversation with your Holy Guardian Angel when in ritual magic. So yeah, that is the whole goal of the magician is to have knowledge and conversation with your Holy Guardian Angel. We're supposed to be yeah. In the rituals. It is described as the key of siituals in rituals. And then we have the symbol of the golden dawn rosy cross. This laman is a complete synthesis of the masculine positive or rainbow scale of color attributions, which is also called the scale of the King. Remember I've even said that with stuff you have the King scale, the Queen scale. You have four different colors kabalistically that you could have on each Sepharoth. The four arms of the cross belong to four elements and are colored accordingly. The white portion belongs to the Holy Spirit and the planets. The petals of the rose refer to the twenty two paths on the Tree of Life and the twenty two letters of the Hebrew alphabet. It is the CROs thus in Tifereth, the receptacle and center of forces of the Cepharoth and the paths. The extreme center of the rose is white, the reflected spiritual brightness of Kether, bearing upon it the red rows of five petals and the golden cross of six squares. Four green rays issue from around the angles of the cross. Upon the white portion of the laman. Below the rose is placed the hexagram with the petals with the planets. Around the pentagrams, which are placed upon each elemental colored arm, are drawn the symbols of the Spirit in four elements upon each of the arms of the cross, or arranged the three alchemical principles of sulfur, salt, and murcury. The white rays issuing from behind the rose at the inner angles between the arms of the cross are the rays of the divine light, issuing the reflected light of Kether in center and in the letters and symbols of them refer to the analysis of the keyword I n R I.
Speaker 1: Which was at the top of the when Jesus Christ Yes.
Speaker 3: The rose cross also has a place in the system of Ordo temple Orientue. It is associated with the fifth degree. This is reasons why I'm going on and on about this is because uh, you know, I do wonder like when you start getting to higher up degrees, well they'll maybe be like, could this be part of a cipher? Could you be told that this is like used for something, you know? And I did find it interesting that, you know, I'm talking about the fifth degree. You're not getting to the fifth degree and the oto unless somebody asks you to. That's another thing that I thought was interesting. How it it's the fifth degree the one that you can now you cannot petition higher than the fourth Oh you know, could there be something up with like learning a secret? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The members of the fifth degree are responsible for all that concerns the social welfare of the order. This great is symbolically that of beauty and harmony. It is the natural stopping place of the majority of men and women for to proceed Father, as will appear, involves reuncination of the sternest kind. Here then is joy, peace well being on all planes. The Sovereign Prince rose Cross is attached equally to the higher and the lower in forms of natural link between them. And then we have you know, and the reason why I was even bringing this up a lot of it is because now you can start, as you can see with these things right here, you will start to be able to make sigils out of the one on the left, and now it will look completely different because it is circular and not square like the other ones that we showed. So you could have these same letters that you were going to draw a sigil with, and now it's going to be completely different looking because it's think about it, technically, it's a different cipher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a totally different cipher right based on its own.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's like even stuff I was getting at with in the first episode or whichever one it was with that decidial the square that added up to thirty four or whatever something and then thirty three, those ones having different numerical value are growing to create a completely different sigil even though it's the same thing. So there's something up with that, I think, yeah, and then we'll move on to the next slide.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: The pentagrammaton is an allegorical form of the Hebrew names of Jesus, or it could be a Yeheshua constructed from the original form of Jesus to be Yeshua, a Hebrew Bible form of Joshua, originally found in the works of Anastasia's Kirture and Johann Baptiste Groschetto. If I'm pronouncing that right, sixteen nineteen. The essential idea of the pentagrammaton is of an alphabetic constant framework. They're going to try to pronounce this whole thing, but it's y H. Then the sh wh which can be supplied with vowels in various ways, and the W can also be used with a U or V. Since the Hebrew letter writes either a W or a constant sound, you can start changing the V or the U. I'm not going to try to explain all that, but I did want to show how that is up there as well. Okay, and then we have some more golden down the cipher manuscripts of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Doorn. The Cipher Manuscripts are a collection of sixty sixty folios containing the structural outline of a series of magical initiation rituals corresponding to the spiritual elements of earth, air, water, and fire. The occult materials in the manuscripts are a compendium of the classical magical theory and symbolism known in the Western world up until the middle of the nineteenth century, combined to create an encompassing a model of the Western mystery tradition, and arranged into a syllabus of graded course of instruction in magical symbolism. It was used as the structure for the hemetic order of the Golden Down. The folios are drawn in black ink on cotton paper, watermarked eighteen o nine. Supposedly. The text is plain English, written from right to left in a simple substitution cryptogram. Numerals are substituted by Hebrew letters alf equals one, bet equals to so on crude. There's drawings of diagrams, magical implements and tarot cards are added into the text, and one final page transcribes into French and Latin. The ciphers contained the outlines of a series of graded rituals in the syllabus for a course of instruction in Kabbalah and Hermetic magic, including astrology, occult taro, geomancy, and alchemy. It also contains several diagram uh, several manuscripts of the this sorry screwing this up, the cipher manuscripts of the original source upon which the rituals and the knowledge lectures of the Hemetic Order of the Golden Doorn were based. So supposedly, you know, this thing is supposed to have a lot of the secrets, that is, you know, within the Hermatic Order of the Golden Dorn encrypted. Yeah, the basic structure of the rituals and the names of the grades are similar to those of the roch Rosicrucion order orders Societist Rosicrushion and in Anglia and the German order uhd in the German Ordered your gold whatever. So I'm not even trying to put outside either, but uh. And then we'll move on to this one. And here in case people are like looking or listening if you're listening to the podcast when this drops again, you know, if you want to, highly suggest to check out the video. So I have some more slides up again and you can see some of the stuff I got from this folio if it's correct or not, but you know, this is what's out there to get. In eighteen eighty seven, William Westcott reportedly purchased the Cipher Manuscript from a bookstore on Farringdon Road in London. The manuscriptfolios were coded based on Trithemius's stenografia his book, and Trithimius was the guy that we covered in Part two. Between the pages of the manuscript, Wescott reportedly found a sheet of paper with the name and address of a certain Friulian Sprindle if I'm saying that correctly, and alleged Rosicrucian ad Depth living in Germany. Westcott supposed deciphered the manuscript and the ensuing rituals were written by McGregor McGregor Mathers. Wes Scott then purportedly corresponded with Springle, who allegedly authorized him to found an English branch of the German occult society Zurg Golden Morgan Ruth that's how you say it right. Wescott, Mathers and W. R. Woodman founded the isis Uraniate Temple Number three of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Down in eighteen eighty eight. It was crazy eights. So this kind of becomes the official story of the founding of the medic Order of the Golden Dorn. The truth, however, is somewhat different in reality. When Wescott obtained the Cipher manuscripts from the widow of the famous Roja Kruscian and Freemasonic researcher Kenneth Mackenzie following his death in eighteen eighty six, Wes Scott then de liberately attempted to obscure the true source with the Friulian Sprinkle story. That's like another theory. And now we get to Uh. It was one of my favorite people to cover. In the last episode, we're back to Johannes Trithemius and that will be uh. Polygraphia from fifteen eighteen. That's old as shit, Yeah, okay. Uh. Polographia is a cryptographic work written by Johannes Trithemius, published in fifteen eighteen, dedicated to the art of stenograph whatever steganography. The full title is Oh my God, this is this is funny Polygrapha libri sex Ohannis Trithemie abbotis Pio Polotani Quondamus Spana Hymenis and Maximilian them Caesar Caesar M. I don't know that's its yo, Why did would you even want to write a title that long?
Speaker 1: I don't understand it either.
Speaker 3: I try to make the episode short and sweet, like I know. Oh Man is the oldest known source of the popular which is alphabet. He used that used a large by the modern traditions of witchcraft. So that's another reason why I am covering this as well, is because like this is even something that got influenced, that influenced I think, like kind of today's Wika in a sense, or witchcraft. So you know, this goes back a little bit further than some people might think, and it's still kind of predominant in its own way today. I'll switch the slide here. This is just you know, you can see some of the what was going on in this book. It is composed of six books and a clavis, which is a key book. One contains no fewer than three hundred and eighty four alphabets of twenty four letters or degrees each letter. Each letter corresponds to a Latin word, noun, verb, adjective, et cetera. In reference to Christian prayers, and religious texts, being in total nine thousand, two hundred and sixteen different words. This is nowadays known as the ave Maria cipher, which mostly uses only a few of the first alphabets. Book two contains three hundred and eight more Latin alphabets with seven hundred and thirty nine seven hundred seven thou three hundred and ninety two words, again using Latin words with mostly religious context. Book three represents one hundred and thirty two alphabets in three columns, which is which are three thousand, one hundred and sixty eight dictions of a universal language, where each letter is equivalent to an invented word. So there's a lot going on with these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the fact that they invent words and vocabulary is just yeah, it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Takes a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 3: Book four shows two thousand, eight hundred and eighty invented alphabet diictions and one hundred and twenty alphabets. To decode, one must simply extract the second letter of each word. Book four reproduces two chronical hash tables, one direct with eighty alphabets and the other inverted with ninety eight alphabets, allowing infinite permutation, to which twelve planispheric wheels, each comprising six categories of twenty four numbers, combined with the twenty four letters, and thus allowing an elaborate and big amount of seiphered messages. I mean, that probably didn't even make sense to most people, so uh yeah, yeah, sorry, don I don't know what that was, but I was totally fine on my side, so maybe yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The work ends with the alphabets of his invention as the Tetragrammaticus formed by four characters that are diversified in twenty four letters, and the enig Grammaticus of nine characters and twenty eight letters. And then here we have the Theban alphabet, which I find this very interesting. The Theban alphabet, also known as the witch's alphabet, is a writing system, specifically a substitution cipher of the Latin script that was used by early modern occultists and its popular in the Wicker movement. It is also known as the Honor Honorean alphabet or the Ruins of Honors, or the witch's alphabet due to its use in modern wicker and other forms of witchcraft as one of the many substitution ciphers to hide magical writings such as the context of a book of Shadows from other people. The Thebian alphabet has not been found in any publications prior to that of Trithemius, So as of right now, basically, you know, if this is used by people who practice Wicker, they may not even know that this goes all the way back to fifteen eighteen. They probably think that fucking Ontz's face came up with this shit when he's Gardner, no idea, zero glue, probably have no idea that Gardner was also a student of Crowley. So basically you got thelema light with Wicka. I hate to tell you. Yeah, uh, there is one to correspond differences between Oh let me see, so I guess which is the light here? Yeah, there is one to one correspondence between theban and the letters. In the old Latin alphabet. The modern characters Jane and you are not represented. They often transliterated using the theban characters for I and V. In the original chart by Trithemius, the letter W comes after Z as it was a recent addition to the Latin alphabet and did not yet have a standard position. This caused it to be misinterpreted as in apper sand or end of sentence mark kind of like something that I will be getting into. There's like a dancing man thing and like to show that the end of a word or something, they use like a flag where the person will be holding a flag. That's the way to show you that there's like a stop. That's crazy. I'm assuming they're probably saying something like the Z might have been screwing that up. Oh yeah, sorry, that's where it was.
Speaker 1: And the sentence mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some users of those later charged transliterate W using the Theban characters for VV. That is even another thing. I don't know if people know back in the day with typewriters, sometimes they did not actually have all those UV and W. You just used one. Sometimes it was a V. You used two of them to make a W. Or you use the V and for you and just hope the people understood, which I think it was like almost kind of understood.
Speaker 1: Wasn't the Roman alphabet like they used the V instead of a U or a U S V or something like that, Yeah, interchangeably.
Speaker 3: Eric S. Raymond, an American software developer and author, has created a draft proposal for adding the Theban alphabet to the Universal Coded Character Set or unicode, So I'm not a little interesting. Then we have here something that brought up in last episode. Now we're gonna get into it a little bit more. Is the be being tablet? The ben being tablet or ben being table of isis is an elaborate table of bronze with enamel its silver inlay, most probably of Roman origin but imitating the ancient Egyptian style. It was named in the Renaissance after Cardinal Bembo, a celebrated antiquarium who acquired it after fifteen after the fifteen twenty seven Sack of Rome. Therefore, was used to penetrate the meaning of Egyptian higher glyphs, which were not authentically deciphered until the nineteenth century. I'm like, are they authentically deciphered? Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, all dames, we're just being told someone like bolshit, we got the comic book version of what the hieroglyphs? Who got the Marvel version. Owing to these prior misconceptions, the tablet became of importance to Western esoteric traditions. The tablet is now regarded as of Roman rather than Egyptian origin, like I was just saying before, dating to some time in the first century. Little is known about its subsequent history, and told the Sack of Rome in fifteen twenty seven, like I was mentioning before. After his death in fifteen forty seven, the tablet was acquired by Gonzaga rulers of Mantua, remaining in their museum until the capture of the city in sixteen thirty by Ferdinand the Second's troops. It then passed through various hands until the French conquest of Italy in seventeen ninety seven. Alexander Lenore mentioned in eighteen oh nine that it was on exhibition in the Biblo tech National after Napoleon's downfall, was returned to Italy to become a central exhibit, where it has remained. The tablet was made of bronze with enamel and silver inlay, and the fingers cut very shallow, and the contours of most of them delineated with thin silver wire. The bases of which the figures sat were covered with silver, later torn away and these sections or left blank. You know, I know, sometimes I guess, like depending on the situation, or like what the person is doing, like I can see it being silly, or like making fun of like somebody using wire but when you have to start getting down to the whole idea, if there's electricity and energy being used, and if you start like actually really like designing it into things, I do wonder like is there actually something to that? Yeah, you know, and like we just like ignorant and laugh at it and think it's silly, you know, Like I don't think Crowley put Copper down his fucking on.
Speaker 1: For no reason, no exactly, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it just maybe depends on the situation if it's actually making sense. But I do wonder about that. I mean, even like certain tablets are supposed to be made out of certain stones, it is does that have to do with Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: A very interesting thought. I think certain tablets weren't they written on metal as well? Some of them?
Speaker 3: Or no, I'm not sure. I can't remember what it was, but I did have I had a few friends that were very much into like Solomonic magic and stuff or like kind of like Christian magic, and there was a certain type of tablet in it that they would like, you know, if you were gangster, you went out and spent ridiculous money on the right fucking stone, you know what. I can't remember where it is right now, but it's supposed to be in a certain size. There's actually you know, supposed to be made in a certain way except for reasons.
Speaker 1: You know, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The basis on which the figures sat were covered with silver, later torn away. These sections are left blank. It is an important example of ancient and Middle metallurgy, its surface being decorated with a variety of metals, including silver, gold, copper, gold, alloy, and various base metals. One of the metals employed is black made by alloyin copper and tin with small amounts of gold and silver and then pickling it in an organic acid. So I mean there was a lot of work done here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, this have for this.
Speaker 3: You know. This black metal is possibly a variety of Corinthian bronze described by Pliny and Plutarch. You know, it's funny that you even mentioned a recipe because I think I might have taken it out of here. But there was I think one cipher that I might cover that was eventually found. Yeah, they found something that they knew could have been like deciphered with one of these ciphers that I'm covering, And eventually when they went and deciphered this thing that they thought, I guess was like almost like a treasure map in a sense. They were like, Oh, it ended up turning out to be a recipe. Oh wow, yeah, I think I might even have told you that. And the way you just said that now and I had said to you, I was like, but if I would have gotten a recipe out of the cipher, I wouldn't have stopped there. I would have thought, Okay, this is something else.
Speaker 1: Now you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And like, how do you know, Like maybe they do put recipes on what they're doing out there in a cipher? Yeah, you know, who knows. Although although the scenes are egyptianizing, they do not depict Egyptian rights. Figures are shown with non customary attributes, making it unclear which are divinities and which and which kings or queens. Egyptian motives are used without rhyme or reason. However, the central figure is recognizable as isis, suggesting that the tablet originated in some Roman center of her worship. Here are some of like, you know, other ones I'm showing you on the screen if people want to check it out. On the earliest one of the earliest scholars to study the tablet was Piero Valeriano Bolzani, who may have seen it before it became generally known after the Sack of fifteen twenty seven. His hieroglyphica Sieve disacris Egyptorium literis Commentarai seems to have been composed earlier than that, although it was published much later. So his book was the source for the English physician and philosopher Sir Thomas Brown, who, in his discourse The Garden of Cyrus from sixteen forty eight, alludes to the figure of Isis and no Cyrus and the Tutelary spirits and the Bembin table a table. Seventeenth century scholars of comparative religion, such as Kircher and Brown at tempted to reconcile the wisdom of Antiquity with Christianity. The ben being and the ben Being tablet was interpreted as such a way to do it. So they were even trying to, like, in my opinion, tie, I guess occultism maybe or a cult knowledge to Christianity, and this was kind of a way to do that in a sense. Kirch's speculations were used by several occultists, including Elevis Levi, William Westcott, and Manly p hole as a key to interpreting the Book of Toath or Tarot. Playtonistic writer Thomas Taylor even claimed that this tablet formed the altar before which Plato stood as he received initiation with a subterranean hole in the Great Pyramid of Gizo. Wow.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there was like just an interesting tablet with some interesting history behind it. That's old as hell, you know. It's like a cipher. Yeah, this is a fun, fun one here. The pig Pen cipher, the pig Pen Cipher ultimately, or you could call it the Masonic cipher, the Freemason Cipher, the Rojia Cruscan Cipher, Napoleon Cipher, and the Tic tac Toe cipher. The cipher is geometric simple substitution cipher which exchanges letters for symbols, which are fragments of a grid. The example key shows one way the letters can be designed to the grid can be assigned to the grid. The cipher is believed to be an ancient cipher and is said to have originated with the Hebrew rabbis. Thompson writes that there is evidence that suggests the Knights Templar utilized a pig pen cipher during the Christian Crusades. In fifteen thirty one, Cornelius Agrippa, who we talked a lot about in the last episode, described in early form of the Rosicrucian cipher, which he attributes to an existing Jewish Kabbalistic tradition. This system called the Kabbala of the Nine Chambers, which then in nineteen thirty three we got the thirty six chambers. By what no but stop playing around. This system, called the Kabbala of the Nine Chambers by later authors, used the Hebrew alphabet rather than the Latin alphabet, and was used for religious symbolism rather than for any apparent cryptological purpose. Variations of this cipher were used by the Rosicrucians and the Freemasons, though the Masons used the pig pen cipher so often that the system is frequently called the Freemason cipher. Heisen claims it was invented by Freemasons. He began using it in the early eighteenth century to keep their records of history and writes private and for correspondence between large leaders. Tombstones of Freemasons can also be found, which used the system as part of the engravings. One of the earliest stones in the Trinity Church Cemetery in New York City, of course it has to be New York, which opened in sixteen ninety seven, contains a cipher of this type which deciphers to remember death. That's what they cipher. Remember that George Washington's army had documentation about the system with a much more randomized form of the alphabet. During the American Civil War, the system was used by Union prisoners in Confederate prisons. Yeah, so that's kind of interesting right there. And you know, I even found interesting on that. I understand it's like a remake. I gotta look into it, but it's like, why does that Why does that thing have the SS on it? Oh?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why does our army over here back then have SYS on them? That's very interesting, That's very yeah, fun A little fun fact. Throw this in the Diana Doores English actress and blonde bombshell. Diana Doores was once considered a rival to Marilyn Monroe. When she passed away at the age of fifty two, she had left behind an encoded message which only her husband had the key to the message. It was said to lead to millions of pounds, which the actress had hidden. Unfortunately, Door's husband died just a few months after her. Her son then faced the task of decrypting the message without the key. He noticed that the first part was in a version of ping pen cipher and was able to code that to read locations and names. Underneath that was a message encoded using a different cipher. Eventually, Dor's son got help from British cryptologist Andrew Clark, who determined it was encoded in the viganeer or however you say that cipher. When decoded, it was a list of names and locations. However, what the list meant has never been determined, and the money has not been recovered.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, can you imagine?
Speaker 3: It's probably like, well, listen, I'm gonna be totally honest with you. If I came into a fuck ton of money, I ain't telling anybody either, because everybod's gonna have their handout.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 3: Oh you only only know me now because I found free money. Yeah, come on, I'm sure people the same way they were back then. She said, I'm just giving my mouth shitw of this kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but sorry, I can't pay my electric ball. Yeah my mom My mom had the money and I can't figure out where she put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh, so now we'll go into the one that we just mentioned. Oh here's another, uh, another fun fact here thing which for decades, the US and Germany owned a Swiss crypto company used by one hundred and twenty twenty countries unfettered acts to encrypted messages from Iran, Libya and others. CRYPTOAG, a Swiss cryptographic communications gear company that got its big break building code making gear for the US Army and World War Two, has been a provider of encryption systems for more than one hundred and twenty countries, and according to a report by the Washington Post and German broadcaster ZDF, the company was owned outright for decades by the Central Intelligent Agency and German's Intelligent Agency the B and D, allowing the CIA, the National Security, and German intelligence to read the most sensitive communications from everyone but the Soviets and Chinese. Basically supposedly that unpresent that ridiculous amount of level of access allowed to the United States to monitor Iranian communications during the Iranian hostage crisis. They had the argent communications during the Falklands War, they had the communications of the Egyptian president and wore Sadat during negotiations of an Egypt Israel peace deal at Camp David. I mean they have had tons of things that they knew about. In CIA documents, CRYPTOAG was referred to by the code name Minerva. Come on, yeah, now come. The US government began its relationship with crypto AG's founder, Boris Haglan, who fled from Norway to the US during World War Two. In the late nineteen fifties, the US persuaded him to limit the strength of cryptographic gear sold to other countries in exchange for a licensing agreement that would compensate the company for lost sales. As the company moved to electronic encryption, US intelligence began to have an even greater role, with the NSA essentially designing the entirety of the company's first all electronic encryption system, released in nineteen sixty seven. So like, the NSA designed it for it.
Speaker 1: And don't try anybody else or give them the water down version.
Speaker 3: Even as CRYPTOAG provided a wealth of intelligence, by nineteen eighty it provided about forty percent of NSA's take from other countries, countries, diplomatic cables, and other encrypted communications. It also generated millions in revenue that the CIA and BND split and plowed into other operations of course. Yeah, so, and then we'll move on to this cipher here. I just thought that was some interesting, you know, fun fact stuff there. Yeah, you know how our government is even into the whole cipher's thing, which a lot of the ciphers have come from occultists. Yes, so it's like, you know, we're getting we're getting an influence from occultism with letters and numbers, So maybe we're not crazy when we think there's something there with letters and numbers and americal value, just saying maybe, yeah, exactly. Uh, I don't even know how you say this the how would you pronounce this if you don't.
Speaker 1: Mind big yeah right, yeah, it's trying to think of how I would say that with like a French accident and.
Speaker 3: This This cipher is a method of encrypting alphabetic text. For each letter of the plain text is encoded with a different Caesar cipher, whose increment is determined by the corresponding letter of another text or the key. The cipher is therefore a special case for poly alphabetic substitution, first described by Geo Van Bautista Molasso in fifteen fifty three. The cipher is easy to understand and implement, but it resisted all attempts to break it until eighteen sixty three. Three centuries later. This earned its description in French for the indecipherable cipher. Many people have tried to implement encryption schemes that are essentially kind of like this. In eighteen sixty three, Friedrich Kassiki Cassiski was the first to publish a general method of deciphering Viganeer ciphers in the nineteenth century. The scheme was misattributed to Blaze D. Vigineer from fifty twenty three to fifteen ninety six, so that's kind of a way it has its name now. The very first well documented description of the poly alphabetic cipher was by Leon Battista Alberti around fourteen sixty seven, and used a metal full cipher disk to switch between cipher alphabets. Alberti's system only switched alphabets after several words, and switches were indicated by writing the letter of the corresponding alphabet in the cipher text. Later Johannes Trithemius, in his work polygraphe which I mentioned before from fifteen eighteen, invented the tabula recta, a critical component of this cipher now the trith to MEAs cipher, however, provided a progressive, rather rigid and predictable, predictable system for switching between cipher alphabets. In fifteen eighty six, Blase D. Vigineer published a type of polyalphabetic cipher called an auto key cipher because its key is based on the original plain text before the Court of Henry three of France. The cipher now known as the Vigineer cipher, however, it is originally just again by Battista Balauso. He built upon the tabula rectus by adding a repeating counter sign that he got from Tritemius to switch cipher alphabets every letter. So that was like a way to even make it.
Speaker 1: More complex, more difficulty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. The Viganeer cipher is simple enough to be a field ciphered and if it is used in conjunction with cipher skills. The Confederate States of America, for example, used a brass cipher disc to implement Viganeer cipher. During the American Civil War, the Confederacy's message were far from secret, and the Union regularly cracked its messages. Throughout the war. The Confederate leadership primarily relied upon three key phrases Manchester Bluff, complete victory, and as the war came close, it came to a close come retribution. Viganeer cipher was completely random and non reusable key, which as long as the message becomes a one time pad theoretically and unbreakable cipher. If you think about it, it kind of reminds me a little bit of like how we do that with like emails now. M no, it's like that's true for encryption on emails. Yeah, but uh yeah, I thought that one was rather interesting. I covered that.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of like how the algorithms work, right with some of these security stuff on the computers and stuff like that, is they're using these ciphers and they've just like supersize them on grander scale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just kind of like boost them up or make them a little bit like more complicated. I think, mm hm. Oh. Then we got like I consider this kind of like another interesting fun fact. This is the Dancing Men's Cipher was invented by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and appeared in his story The Adventure of the Dancing Men. And this story, Sherlock Holmes discovered that the dancing figures is a secret cipher and cracks the code. The story doesn't cover all the letters, but the alphabet was completed by Age Rike Sorenson, who also added numerals. The Dancing Men's Cipher originated from the Charlock Holmes story The Adventure of the Dancing Men. And the story, Charlock Holmes examines the occurrences of the dancing figures and realize that it is a substitution cipher. He then cracks the code by frequency analysis. Oh it was just weird, how like, you know, because this is a thing that I have said before in the past, and I do think there might be a good case for it. I do wonder about like dancing and performances. Oh wow, you know, stuff like this, or even like I've said before, I could easily see trying to put your body into forms of Hebrew, I mean even at English. But you know what I'm saying, Like keybo, I just feel like it's so much more artistic you could really be like putting yourself all over the place and nobody would really notice.
Speaker 1: And if you combine it with song, the song could be the text and the dancing could be like the dancing men code of how you unbreak the lyrics. Yeah, yeah, that's what I kind of.
Speaker 3: I mean, you always got rappers talking about my ciphers.
Speaker 1: That's true, that is true.
Speaker 3: My cipher gotta break it down in ciphers, mathematics and ciphers. Uh yeah, and then here and then I think I'm finally done and I'll shut up. Twenty eight minutes later. The ave Maria cipher. I didn't get one get into this too much. It's very interesting, and I think that this one's probably like, probably very drawn out. Ave Maria is a steganographic process invented by the Benedictine monk Johannes with the me Is Surround fifteen eighteen. It replaces each letter of the plain text by a group of words, which looks like a poem. Encryption uses a correlation table between letters and portions of psalms. Trithemius wrote a book Polographe which I had mentioned or forgot, the Uriny, which contains one hundred pages with Latin words associated with a letter of the alphabet. The Latin alphabet does not have all the letters. There is no V or W and is replaced by you, and there is no J, which is replaced by I, and so on. Encryption consists in encoding each letter of the message with a word in the list. The result will resemble a prayer or litany in Latin. The cipher is composed of Latin words generally related to God. Ave Maria, which translates to Hail Mary in Latin, is one of the most popular prayers in the Catholic tradition. The encrypted message is much longer than the plain text, since it is replaced by letters and words. The classic ave Maria usually ends with the word Amen. That's something to keep in mind to.
Speaker 1: Because you see Amen throughout a lot of Biblical texts.
Speaker 3: Well, you could toist that out there a lot and nobody would even know that that was a closing for a cipher. Yeah, just saying it, you know, putting that out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that is the end of my mouth.
Speaker 1: Thank you that you didn't asleep. No, no, it was again. I find all this super interesting. Like with the origin the original languages and how they originated and where they go and how they migrate, and now we have people putting numbers to them and then making ciphers. I found, Yeah, I find it super super interesting. So I'm going to briefly cover a cipher that is talked about by quite a few people regarding Alistair Crowley's Book of the Law. I'm a novice, so it's you.
Speaker 3: Know, and you know what I'll be told. I'll be totally honest with you. The reason why I didn't get into this too much is because this is fairly new and there isn't like, you know, just for the listeners. You know why, you know, because I had said the same thing to you. It's fairly new. There isn't like a lot of like history about it, and honestly I wasn't. I wasn't trying to figure it out myself. Just the present on the show, right. I figured, if I bring up something with crolling and the ogo, I'm supposed to be on.
Speaker 1: Points, Yeah, well you can just you know, direct them to me, because I'll just tell them that I did a quick study. So there's an excerpt in the Book of the Law and it and I mainly gravitated towards two seventy five, which says, I listened to the numbers and the words, and to me it seems like a direct interpretation that the texts should be interpreted by using numbers and words like we talked about in the first and second episode with Jamatria or alphabetic numer numeric systems.
Speaker 3: I mean, this even goes along with you know something I said before I started to interrupt you with the Book of the Law, You know that does have this cipher basically in here, and I'm like jumping ahead. But then like even in the Book of Laws, in the commentary, I know the commentary is written by like somebody else that's cruelling, but like they're constantly like mentioning like either like Jamatri or Cipher's possibly being involved. The reason that you know the chapter number, is it going along with the chapter You know a lot.
Speaker 1: Of things, right, No, absolutely, And so.
Speaker 3: You have to wonder how much is encoded.
Speaker 1: Message Absolutely, I mean I if it's in there and it's telling you it is. And then the next line, which or the next verse seventy six, it looks like a long string of numbers, and I looked it up and it kind of gives a way at the end, and it's the RP stoveall cipher right, So already it's alluding to a cipher. And so you have seventy five saying numbers and words and then the next phrase, I mean, the next verse, you know, conveying a cipher and then what the other thing? And I read this a couple of times in some of the blogs that we're writing on it. The second sentence of the verse seventy six is thou knowest not, nor shalt thou know ever. And it almost made me feel like, so, I awats you know? Dict and please correct me if I'm wrong, if I get any of the burbage wrong. Basically dictated to Crowley, Crawley the the Book of the Law and so and so if he's saying thou knowest not, nor thou shalt ever know, and he just finished talking about a cipher and numbers and words, to me, it's like, so Crowley's not going to be the one to fully cipher or uncipher what was being dictated to him. That it would be someone else who would, I guess build upon that.
Speaker 3: See, this is the whole thing though with me and This is why I think it might be importantly on again with Cipher's is that I'm not sure if I actually buy that story at face value. His story of how the Book of the Law might have came could have been a decrypted it could have been an occulted story in itself.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: So then it's like, do you have to decipher this whole thing, like he already wrote it in code?
Speaker 1: Already to find out that he was the one that wrote it in code, yeah, gotcha. Yeah Yeah. So that that excerpt kind of sets it up to that what the next you know, the in the equinox. Now you're looking at different ciphers, you know, how the alphabet is positioned in certain ways, and how that can be utilized to potentially decipher some of the texts. One of the ones that I found pretty interesting was is grid paper. It's so it's like a famous grid page of liber Al Al's which is like a grid supermposed on page sixteen, and it basically has the verse, you know, the verses or whatever's written with a long diagonal line going across and then a circled cross. So in the Book of the Law, it states that the book should only be reproduced or printed to include Crowley's handwritten version as per suggestion that there are mysteries and I quote there are mysteries in the chance shape of the letters and their positions to one another. Whichever top left or bottom right diagonal is read, the magical order of the letters is obtained. So he's telling you this is written in a some sort of ciphered message. Right, it's kind of how I gathered it. And then so like on the right you see how letters were laid over the grid, and then numbers going and corresponding right to the actual grid that was handwritten upon with this page in mind. The A L W Cipher or the New aon English Kabbala, was developed by James Lee's on November twenty sixth of nineteen seventy six to serve as a tool for interpreting the works of Crowley. It appears that in it works like an Effene cipher, which is a little bit similar to ad Bash cipher, which we'll talk about here in a little bit, but it basically the slight variance is that it's made up of an arithmetic system assigning the letters of the English alphabet to assign numerical values kind of like with the A BASH but with this one, the cipher is based on a magical number on the magical number eleven, by taking every eleventh letter in the alphabet as the order and then assigning them in sequential values. So eleven is pretty much like the guide the goalpost, or the guidepost. The method of order and value where letters are arranged on a grid is credited to James Lees as well. Jake Stratton Kent, also an addition, noticed that the passage appeared separated on purpose, with an X seen as the first letter or character on the second line, potentially indicating the multiplication symbol. By multiplying the number of words on the second eleven, you get a total of one eighty seven. One eighty seven is also the numerical value of English alphabet when applied to the A L W cipher. Stratton Kent went on to clarify that the English kabala is not a system of numerology, but a kabbala.
Speaker 3: So you know that even that circle on that X of that plus thing, it's like we saw that in prior episodes is part of the symbolism and alphabets.
Speaker 1: M you know what I have You know, it's some of the earliest ones too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I even joked around before saying something about the zodiac KILLO.
Speaker 1: With that and because he uses it.
Speaker 3: Yes, And you know what, I really I should have I really wish I would have gotten a picture of it. There was something I was was watching the news. You know, they're showing all this shit that's going on over there, what's supposedly is going on over there. You know, I'm not denying that something isn't but I just wonder how much is you know, whatever, And uh, I had also started to notice I've noticed two or three times, I think I think three times at least now, seeing that X in a circle in the background of things. And you know, I don't know if maybe that's like something that that they were using. But again I was seeing that same guy. I don't know if you saw when I made a joke about the yeah news getting the daytime soul property is getting so violent because I was watching the news and the guy's jumping on the fucking floor because you know, supposedly the bombs and stuff. That same dude and some sort of like wild thing was going on, and that symbol was on a car. That's it was like some sort of service car or something over there, and it was numbered ninety three. Oh, I had ninety three written on it with that symbol spray painted on it. How do you behind you?
Speaker 1: That's not a key to the cipher for what you're seeing on the news.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was weird. I was like, I've seen that symbol a few times because of covering ciphers, and now I see ninety three and it's not a guy who I was questioning the authenticity of the video I was watching a few days ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that is that is super weird. Interesting on also on this so you see a grid as well on cipher six, if you remember going back to the grid page of page sixteen. Cipher six is a secret cipher that has been passed down throughout the ages by various secret societies. Similar to other ciphers, americal values are assigned to each letter of the English alphabet, involving simple addition. So it kind of looks like, for instance, the grid paper, how he drew that line almost to indicate, you know that it could be the cipher six that he's following. The speculative of course, that he's following the cipher six itself by you know, using that method, and then also the star six or cycle eleven is what we saw with the equinox. The solution to several of these ciphers have been kind of discovered in nineteen seventy four, and they've like totally launched a whole new development and of computer analysis field and all that other study and all that other stuff. One thing that I found interesting is like when they mentioned nineteen seventy four as being the discovery of ciphers through computer analysis. Didn't he die in nineteen forty seven? I don't know, Crowley, I think he.
Speaker 3: Did, oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, nineteen.
Speaker 1: Seventy four being flipped around. I was like, that's that's pretty interesting because this is when that you.
Speaker 3: Might be right kicked off, because if I remember correctly, he was like pretty much right after World War Two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know why that stuck out, because I think because in looking at these ciphers, I'm seeing a lot of seventy four, a lot of flipping of numbers. So now my eyes, you know, looking for that. But so yeah, I thought that was just something a fun fact mentioned.
Speaker 3: If it's real forty seven forty seven, nineteen forty seven, Yeah, seventy.
Speaker 1: Four so the four so another sec.
Speaker 3: On the four and seven is also only on the right pillar. Again, it was something we brought up with that one other.
Speaker 1: Time, right right, Like, I feel like forty seven is something that we've talked about or touched upon. I don't know if it was with the Gilgo or with something.
Speaker 3: Else, might have been Richard Speck recently, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could be, could be, yeah, no telling. So we were doing a lot of Jamatria. A lot of the Jamatra uses the four bass ciphers, and so I wanted to talk about them really quickly kind of just to do like the long math of how some of these ciphers are used. The following four ciphers are the fundamental ciphers that is used in Jamatria. The first one is the most basic cipher in Jamatria. So we were signing A to one, B to two, C to three, and then so on, Z to twenty six, and it's practice in any language, and it's called the ordinal cipher or English ordinal cipher, like this one uses twenty six letters of the English alphabet. So the second one is the English reduction and when using the rules of numerology, as in the case of full reduction cipher or Pythagorean order or English reduction. Those are all the names assigned to English reduction. The numbers having two digits are reduced to a single digit by adding them together. So like in the case of you go, A is assigned to one and so on. But when you get to I, you see that it's assigned to nine, and when you jump to J, it goes back to a one. So as soon as nine comes, the next number is going to go back to one to basically reduce it down to a single number. And this concept was basically brought into play according to Pythagoras, who is the father of math, that only there are only nine true numbers, and so therefore the English reduction applies to that, and the number nine seems to pop up a lot in ciphers, like in terms of also a guide poster.
Speaker 3: Even that's why the nineteen we've been like being like, what's up with that?
Speaker 1: Right exactly? So yeah, so like J is equal to one and so forth. So the reverse ordinal cipher is the opposite of the English ordinal, so it's called the reverse ordinal cipher or reverse alphabetical order, and so basically it flips everything. A is now twenty six and Z is now one. So it just basically flips the assignment of the numbers. Pretty simple there on the last one, the reverse reduction, it's also called the reverse full reduction cipher or the reverse Pythagorean order, is basically the reverse of the English reduction. And so now instead of one being assigned to A, you now have eight being assigned to A, which I don't know why they didn't start with nine, but I guess because they started with one on Z right and then work their way backwards and then obviously when you get to Q, it goes back to one, so reducing it to a single digit. One thing that I thought was really interesting if you were to run God God through the English ordinal cipher. So if you look at it, G equals seven, oh equals fifteen, D equals four, you get twenty six, and twenty six is the same number of the letter in the English alphabet. Oh yeah, I thought that was kind of something.
Speaker 3: That's interesting, right, I thought, so, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: Now the next one is the at bash cipher. The at Basch cipher was originally used for the Hebrew alphabet as a mono alphabetic substitution cipher. I think most of these ciphers use the substitution as their base. It seems like that's kind of their go to. They claim that it was used for thousands of years and it's the most common found in and it's most commonly found in Kabalistic writings and Jewish mysticism. It's sometimes referred to as the mirror code. It is one of the earliest and oldest known ciphers who have been used, dating back to five hundred BC, potentially pre dating Egyptian encryption, possibly because of how simple it is to use and it doesn't require a key. You can use it with any alphabet, which is like you can do with abajod or syllabris syllabary No, that's not how you say it, but alphabet. They use the syllables Hebrew, Latin, Greek, and so forth. But because of this, it can easily be deciphered, offering very little security. However, ad Basch ciphers are rare and difficult to find, I think because they easily can fit into text or a sentence and compared to others. A quick way to spot an AD code is when the first letter of the alphabet is switched with the last letter of the alphabet. It's used by kabalists who study the hidden meaning of words, and they will use which I found interest. They will use the ad bashed cipher to dilute the meaning and or power of words as opposed to using the actual word. So by encrypting the word, it'll change the numerical value of the word and then therefore reducing the power or the impact of power that the word has, kind of like you know, toning it down in ogypen. But I also read something that if they were to reverse it, that it serves to reverse the power of the word. So first evidence of encryption was found in Egypt, and because of this, most people believe that ancient Egypt is the origin of this code. However, Adbash was actually the first cipher with origins in Israel and originally encrypted in Hebrew. I provide a little bit of examples to kind of give you what that looks like in the Hebrew Bible. In the Christian Bible, they contain occurrences of the at Bash cipher. The name ad Bash refers to the first letters of the names of the Hebrew characters a left, ta bet and shin. Examples of the Abbash code are found in the Book of Jeremiah. So Jeremiah twenty five twenty six, the king of she Shrak shall drink after them. So if you convert that to Hebrew, put it through the Adbash code, it'll spit out BBL or Babel, which is Babylon, so it would be the king of Babylon shall drink after them. Another example would be Jeremiah fifty one one. Behold, I will raise up against Babylon and against the inhabitant of Leb Kamani, a destroying wind. Again, if you put it through the Adbas cipher, it spits out Kaldia or Babylonians. So that was examples that were provided.
Speaker 3: It is like the acronym BBL. Maybe just an at Bahia. It could be Brazilian butlers.
Speaker 1: This whole time we thought it was a.
Speaker 3: Still get mind fucked with magic somehow.
Speaker 1: Hook Line and Sinker. In the previous episode we talked about how words were powerful and they possessed magical and theogic qualities, and that the spoken word was capable of changing reality. So if words, going back to what I just said, a little while ago. So if words possessed power and essence, at bash could represent a reversal of that power and essence. So that's that was that example. A last example which I found pretty interesting, the abbaschh cipher theory relates also to the Baphomet mythos, with its origins dating back to five hundred BC. Inscribes writing the Book of Jeremiah using what we now call to be that bash cipher. It refers to when they were working on the Dead Sea Scrolls and they use the cipher to translate words that were undetectable. The same scientists that use it on the Dead Sea scrolls used it on texts by the Knights Templar, particularly the etymology of Baphomet. And when they decided that they would use the at Bash cipher on the word Baphomet, they discovered that it in reverse, it gives you sofia. So I thought, I wonder if that's where the whole bapphamet sofia comes into play. And then, of course, if you put at bash through the Greek so although written in Hebrew, resulted in the Greek word sofia meaning wisdom in English. So if you do it in English, it'll give you wisdom. So I thought that was another one.
Speaker 3: Interesting wisdom things a go with the tunes.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, And there wasn't there a book in the Bible called Book of Wisdom?
Speaker 3: I know, like one of the spheares stands for wisdom. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: So another cipher is the Kopoli Cipher. I think I'm saying that right. It's an encrypted manuscript made up of seventy five thousand characters, strangely handwritten in Roman and Greek letters with abstract symbols, conveying a message within its one hundred and five pages. For more than two hundred and sixty years, the mysterious cipher, bound in gold and green brocade paper, remained undeciphered. Then, in the nineteen seventies, scientists from the German Academy of Sciences dated the cipher to be to exist in seventeen hundred, seventeen sixty, seventeen eighty. However, in April of twenty eleven, Decipherment revealed its creation in the seventeen thirties. And if you go back and forth, there's discrepancies between those time periods, so it's in seventeen hundred that's pretty much how I kind of put it in my head. It and what the reason that they push for the seventeen thirty angle is because there was a secret society that called themselves the High Enlightened Oculist Order or the Oculist who you cite as a metaphor for knowledge. Its name comes from one of the two non coded inscriptions inside the manuscript Copalis three, and inside the paper it is said to be of high quality, containing two different water marks. So they had to track down this book because after the Cold War it kind of went I mean, it was going back and forth between private collections, and then after the Cold War basically it turned up and it was discovered in East Berlin Academy in Germany, and many attempts were made to crack it, and it just they were unsuccessful, so it was forgotten about, kept in private collections and so forth. Then in twenty eleven they tracked down the manuscript, the original one, and scientists in Sweden with a scientist in California were able to basically get a crack at it and then kind of unraveled from there. So not even knowing the language of the encrypted document, they basically thought that it would be either German or Greek of Roman because the characters were Roman and Greek characters distributed throughout the text. One of the things that I found pretty interesting is they use computer to a computer analysis to crack the cipher. So because it was found in Germany, they thought the Roman cacharacters contained all of the relevant info and that everything else were just like spaces or something to throw people off. Yeah exactly, Yeah, that's just say that jug DNA. But what ended up happening is that, yeah, yeah, exactly, filler. What ended up happening is that the reverse was true. It was the Actually it was the Roman characters that were actually the nulls in the spaces and everything else. The abstract symbols were actually the coded message which the Roman letters were basically inserted specifically to throw off the reader completely, and assumed that everything was written in Roman or Latin. So they went ahead and they basically tested the theory, put it into the computer, and the first message is revealed Ceremonies of initiation and secret section. So the quality cipher is a substitution cipher, but it's not a one to one. It's more of like a homophonic one where you have like different types of substitutions because of the text and then the spaces. One thing that I found really interesting by this type of style of cipher is that it's also a cipher that's used with the book cipher or the Beal cipher, which is what's used in the Declaration of Independence where it talks about encoding of a story of buried treasure. So I was like, wow, even the Declaration of Independence has a cipher written into it that has yet to be cracked. That's that's the other thing. Nobody's been able to crack that one. But it's similar the Kapali's. The style of it is written in there, and you'll find out why here in a little bit. So once they were able to decrypt it, they pretty much set up an algorithm so that it could decrypt the rest of this the entire texts, and they like ran it through like eighty languages, all kinds of you know, different variations, and then it ended up that it was German uh cipher all along, so they found so that led them to know that it was the Oculist Secret Society. Let's see what else. Oh, one thing that I also input in here that the leading expert on the machine translation, the one from California. He basically is also working on the ciphers for the Zodiac Killer as well as cryptos, the CIA one, the building thing, the sculpture that's sitting outside of the CIA headquarters, and the Voyage manuscript. So he's he basically he cracked it. He cracked this one. He you know, created his old algorithms and is now using these types of algorithms on these other ciphers. Thought that was pretty neat. An he's funded by the NSF SO and got some software put I guess adopted by Apple and Intel.
Speaker 3: So it'd be interested to see what he says about the pointage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I thought that was really interesting. So to give you a little bit of backdrop to what was going on at the time when the Quality Cipher was written, seventeen thirty eight, Pope Clement basically issued a prohibition to Catholics from joining any secret order religious organization and even want is to far discourage all Europeans from affiliating with any persons or groups, alleging that all these secretive orders were practicing satanic rituals. In response to secret societies started encoding all their documents to prevent them from being persecuted and praise basically to protect themselves from persecution all around. So the rights, rituals and ideologies were passed along encoded language to hide from persecution. So I think that's where you start to see the divide, right. You know that everybody was doing the whole numerology like we talked about in the first episode, and then you see how night Council niceas like, no more, y'all aren't doing this, and then seventeen hundreds is like, y'all are gonna get in trouble if you do. So everything kind of to me seems like it. That's when it went hardcore underground and you started to have hardcore development of these ciphers.
Speaker 3: Well, like we were even saying about I think in the last episode there seemed to be like schisms of like this stuff just doesn't get studied toward anymore or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, absolutely, So I'm gonna tell you a little bit of what it said, since they cracked and it was a big deal and was like all over whatever, So it revealed that it was it talked about rituals and political leanings of the eighteenth century secret society there in Germany, and the.
Speaker 1: Rituals itself appear to focus on eye surgery and ophthalmology, with members not being eye doctors. Right, this is what the scientists were saying, that, oh, this is weird. None of them were optalmologists, but all of the rituals are centered around the eye and eye surgery and what have you. The Oculus, as they called themselves, were a group of optthalmologists who were also, according to the documentar, a group of Freemasons who created the Oculus Society to pass along the Masonic rites that have been recently banned by Pope Clement. So the initiation ceremony was basically it was like illuminated by candle light. The candidate was asked to lower himself onto a stool, asked to read a blank piece of paper. When he cannot, the initiatives given eyeglasses, right, and they're asked to read the paper again and he cannot, So then they take off the eyeglasses. They wipe his eyes down and at this point they the master of ceremonies, pretends to do some sort of eye surgery by plucking out eyebrows. Pissed, they did that to me. But and then they put a paper in front of him now has texts, and then he can read and they say, you know, congratulations, you can you know, you can read, and what have you. But it's basically the ritual that's being described in the Kapali Cipher. And it went on to basically convey that this was indeed a German Masonic ritual and so Mason's you know, chimed in to the whole thing and they are like, no, this is an actual, you know, Masonic ritual being described because it has Masonic terminology, and that the Secret Society were not optomologist. If anything, it was just eye symbolism centered on Western esoteric tradition. The article basically states that the ceremonies appear to be either of Masonic body or heavily extensively influenced by Masonry. And they claimed that that these people were not optomologists, that it was a Masonic ritual and they were talking about is symbology, and that it was basically everything that I guess they believe in or what have you. So there that's that was that. And then as you read throughout the rest of the text. Oh and I included like some of the like symbols that they basically used to encrypt some of their messages. If you read throughout the text, it goes on to basically tell you about the different degrees of the ceremony I'm sorry, the different descriptions of initiation, the degrees of ceremonies. It describes a various mainstream free masonry degrees at that time, like the levels or the categories, talks about key Lodgis Scottish master degree. I mean, it just starts telling you everything, and it's weird because you would think that all these Masons want to keep this stuff secret, and yes, this cipher's telling you everything, and they have this ritual where it's centered on the eye. I don't know, it just it seemed, really.
Speaker 3: I think that's wild about how much all the stuff with the eyeballs. I'm telling you there's something up with it. I mean, it just makes sense to me to ocula. I mean I can't see inside myself regardless, right. No.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Another thing that I thought, and that's a capali. That's where they got the name of the cipher itself, because there was that one word that was able to be read of the entire document and then the watermark the the document had all these watermarks along with it. The other thing that I thought was very really cool to mention was that active members of the Oculus Secret Society, according to some of these write ups, is included members like Voltaire, George Washington, and Ben Franklin. And so if you look at the Declaration of Independence and they use kind of a similar cipher, yeah, yeah, I thought that was that was pretty interesting. And this one you see the coat of arms at the founding guy. Then this was the actual eye medallion that they gave initiates, initiates or people that were of a certain level that you get to receive or whatever, and it has basically the eye medallion in the center, and then it has white ribbon outlined with green. I thought you would find that interesting, the green, and then as well as the coin, which the coin itself features a cataract needle with two cats watching over mice. So I thought, yeah, that's got to be right, star could be, could be. And then on the cipher itself it had something like only those with a light hand need apply as a reference to their sort member surgical skills. But I think that was co of some sort.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, that's great. That eyeball is like creepy.
Speaker 1: It looks real like, it looks very I don't know, like they went into detail with it. It wasn't just no somebody sketching something. It actually looks handmade. It's like a real eye. Just kidding, go ahead, yep. So that was the quality cipher, which I found really cool because I think the whole Oculus secret society that they even had something like that, because we always talk about the Masons and the Eye and the Luminati and all that stuff, and the fact that there even was one.
Speaker 3: I think it was even a headless that told me. I don't know, I don't know if this is it. I think it's a different one. I always get a confused with need the headless of Thrash, which one told me, but one of them, I think pretty sure it told me about that secret society of occultists, I mean of eye doctors. Secret Society of eye doctors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was, they said. The other thing that I thought was pretty cool is that they considered them very progressive because they were the first secret society to allow females in at that point, and they also were the members were basically the ones writing laws, writing treaties, writing all kinds of whatever. So they think that these people probably influence a lot of the revolution movements, writings what have you? I mean, we'll look at the people that were in there, So okay, moving on to the sphere of life and death. So at the beginning of sphere and life and death, it reads, if you want to know whether a sick person will recover swiftly or slowly or with intermediate pace is a description that is found within the diagram. Cipher called the sphere of life and death is one of the most popular prognostic tools of ancient times. On Onomancy, which is name divination used that uses the numerical value of letters to predict the fate of a person. If you recall in the first episode of the series, alphabetical numeral systems were common during Greek and Semitic languages during this time in history. So Onomanci, which has its origins with Pythagoreans, appears in medieval manuscripts as a sphere of life and death. In more modern historical texts of Western literature, the cipher is referred to as either the sphere of Pythagoras sphere of Apulius Apulus or wheel of Pythagoras. So the cipher consists of a diagram and instructions to guide the user on how to predict the fate of a sick individual based on their name. As well as predicting the outcome, it can also give you information on whether a soldier or general is going to win the battle, whether or not lost property will be found, outcome of long journey, or in general, any kind of yes or no binary question. Translation of the cipher from Greek to Latin happened around the sixth century, and evidence of the sphere in the ancient world is found in different manuscripts, like there's a fourth century Greek papyrus containing magic and divination spells with the sphere included. Seric twelfth century translation showing the sphere had ancient roots, and they show that it enters into the Latin West around thirteen fourteenth century. So during the Middle Ages, it was very popular that if you attached a famous name, then it gave the document credibility, and I think that's why they use sphere of Pythagoras or fear sphere of Pulius Apulus Apulius. The Apulias sphere of life and death. Just real quickly. This guy apparently was a author and an occult. He wrote Golden ass about magic and metamorphosis, and that's where the story Cupid and Psyche comes from. He also wrote Apologia, which is a self defense for him against a charge of magic, so he kind of is admitting but saying he's sorry. And in the medical miscellany called Medica from fourteen fifteenth century England, explained how to use a sphere to predict whether the patient would live or die. And like I said, you know, everybody had their own methodology, so this one that's in front of us right now basically use the letters of a patient's name that were assigned numbers according to the scheme that was written on the outer ring of the sphere itself. To this, the number for the day of the week on which the patient became sick was added and then calculated according to the four corners of the sphere. And then after the calculations are done, you would you would see if the number would fall between one and thirty and depending on and where it fell, if the number was on the top half of the sphere, he would live. And if he was on the bottom half, he would die he or she. Yeah, that's kind of very flip coin type deal. Sphere of life and death was found in over sixty two manuscripts of late medieval English era, and although it was condemned by many theological and legal treaties, the medical cipher is one of the most frequent contents in all of these manuscripts. So even way if it was condemning, it was still being included in the condemnation treaty, which that was weird. But so you had Yeah, so you had different methodologies to it. Some of them was like you take the name of the patient, you take the name of the messenger that came to summon the physician, you take the name of the day upon which the message came to the physician, join them all together, and then calculate it if you had.
Speaker 3: A sounds like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it does, it does. And then like if the number was an even number, it would equal death. If it was an odd number, of equal life. So everybody kind of had their own like way of using the cipher, and so I think it just depended on the actual guy who was using it. So on some of these ciphers, you would apply, you know, the name of the patient, and it had a numerical value. So going back to the first episode where we talked about how you assign the alphabet to a number, they're still using that methodology. And then they're also using the number of day of the moon and like and I think it was the day of the moon and the planetary week day, and they would use the number one through thirty because of the thirty days of the moon. And then you calculated through like lunar tables and planetary weekdays or calculations, and then from that you would go on to say yes or no or whatever. But it wasn't just used for that. It was also used for like predicting, you know, is this guy gonna win a battle or is he gonna go on a great journey or not?
Speaker 3: Interesting. I just want to ask, I could be wrong. Isn't it actually really though, closer to twenty eight days to the moon?
Speaker 1: I think so. That's kind of what I've always heard, that it was twenty eight day cycles of a moon.
Speaker 3: If that's true, though, that does make me again go back to the whole pupil dilation in your arrival from two millimeters anywhere from there to eight millimeters.
Speaker 1: That would make sense. That makes a lot more sense in me.
Speaker 3: That's and that still encompasses the two four, six and eight I say, is tooth two days?
Speaker 2: I want?
Speaker 1: I wonder and would that give you a kind of like a side note, would that give you an extra month so it would be thirteen months instead of twelve months?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not something. Yeah, there's something up with whether that twenty seen zodiacs instead of.
Speaker 1: Twelve, yeah, something instead of twelve. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's like the difference maybe some people don't know between like tropical and cetereeal as well as like with stereo astrology, you're going by like the size of the thing the zodiacs in the sky. Not all of them are the same size, Some are smaller, some of bigger that one I think actually goes depending on the size, Yeah for sure, you know, and the other ones are just chopped up into thirty degrees each regardless of the size of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, So one thing that I was and I looked this up on the figure closest to us on the left hand side, there's slight variations between these ciphers. So like in one of the cipher if you look really closely, the G on the outer part of the cipher one of them is like right above the living section of the hemisphere, whereas if you go to the other side, the G is kind of a little bit lower than the line of delineation. So it's kind of like, you know, depending on what cipher they're using, it's pretty much a coin toss, and I think most people would try to copy them and or they would use other methods to come up with their own, but kind of keeping with the same concept concept of the sphere, this one I thought was really interesting. So when people started going underground and hiding most of their ciphers, the figure on the left where you see the wheel within text, this is pretty much how they started hiding the sphere of divination and disguised it as like just a table within texts. So while the sphere appears to be part of the text in the manuscript, it's actually in fact still a divination device.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: To me, it looks like an iris, like the way the iris is, you know, kind.
Speaker 3: Of well like even some of the churches when you look up the top that we covered that we thought was like inside your eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. And then the figure on the other side was another example of how like within the text and so this sphere wasn't just like, oh, it's this is the manuscript, this is where the sphere is found in the manuscript. No, it wasn't like that. This fear was put into different manuscripts of different types of topics or discussions. So like the one on the right hand side, you see a sphere, and the previous page was talking about, you know, the winds and how a regimen of being outside or the winds could contribute to maladies or sickness or whatever. And then you see this insert of this actual sphere or cipher like out of nowhere, and within the cipher itself it has the instructions of how to use it being written in it, and then it'll tell you something of like this is how you do it to calculate the planetary week days or the automatic technique or whatever, and then you flip the page and now goes into diet of curing the patient or whatever. So it was like snuck into some of these texts to kind of hide what it was doing or what it you know that that it was even included some of these texts where these ciphers are found, they originate from So the cipher originates from the time of Pythagoras, and it basically said that they practice onomancy and that it continued throughout all the way into you see fourteenth century Oxford texts that contain this sphere, and that those medical texts were being expected to be learned by medical faculty as well as medical students. So even in Oxford and fourteenth century, they're they're being taught this sphere of life as a technique or a tool for divination as well as predicting the outcome of a patient. So that's pretty much it for me.
Speaker 3: Man, that was a lot from both of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was a lot. I mean, it's a lot in there, and a lot of the Masons use, it seems free Masons use a lot of these ciphers for their stuff as well, which I found pretty interesting. I didn't know they were that heavy into ciphers.
Speaker 3: I mean that's what like I was even trying to show with you know, with the Rosie Crows. You know, could could like even some secret societies have ciphers for their own specific texts to understand what they're saying specifically in their stuff, you know, and could that be part of maybe going up the ladder in itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be. Well, I mean they talked about how the Masons do I guess recogniz is kabbala or kabalistic methodology, and a lot of this is the ciphers are based with that in mind.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well that was Uh. I had a really good time covering that really went well. It was a lot, but no between both of us, that was I mean I went longer than you. That was a lot of information and that's what I really was just hoping to get out. I think that was extremely informative. The whole thing really, you know, this whole series is just showing how far back there's letters and numbers and how deep does it get, you know, and if this has been going on since how long ago? How do we know it's not going on now? We just have the slightest clue.
Speaker 1: Well, the evidence I'm not trying to say.
Speaker 3: That's all it is out there, but I'm just saying we have no idea.
Speaker 1: I have no idea the evidence of those people being in the Oculus society and they were the authors of Declaration of Independence, How much How much more evidence do you need?
Speaker 3: I mean, look at that machine that I was talking about before. Yeah, of course we're associated with the Germans with it, right. The follow is up with this as as a magic. Look at the m M right there. This is a magic. I didn't even say that on purpose. Uh. Thank you very much Lisa from helping me with this. Uh. We had a blast. I really loved covering this whole series. Thank you everybody who checked out this live. I was, you know, a little hesitant to do it, but I'm very happy I did. That had to be one of the smoothest shows I've probably done in a while. Yeah, so thank you Lisa. You've definitely helped get us a little bit more. You know in line here and that's such cluttered anymore, you know, there's some structure. So yeah, that went really good and I couldn't have been happier because of us doing this will be coming out probably PEP, we'll be able to go live with that because I think it should probably even should be actually easier to cover, easier to cover than this. But I wanted to cover some old grim wars, you know, I did that maybe a little repetitive, so some of the ogs that are in the chat right now. But again with that, it was just some more of an informative thing and was just kind of showing like how far back does this stuff go, you know, And I just think that sometimes maybe we don't realize the past and that's why we're a little confused about where we're heading now, you know, well what's going on now. So I'm just trying to do some like older informative episodes. So I look forward to doing that. Should hopefully be doing that in a few weeks. Oh, actually, if we do it live, we'll be next week. So yeah, so people, if people are listening, if we happen to go live next week, will be recording I think on Friday, probably around the same time the Occult Rejects will be recording a Grim Roars episode and be some old stuff in there and some just interesting stuff, you know. Thank you again for everybody who jumped in the chat on this live. That is what's up. I you know, say it, and I'm gonna keep saying it when I go live, and when we go live, definitely check out the chat if you're catching this live after the fact, if you can look at the chat while you're watching the live. I highly suggest it because there is a lot of good information in the chat and sometimes it could be you know, almost a whole other episode in itself, you know, especially when you got like slicked it in and there it's guys.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so thank you all. I had a really good time, a really good Friday afternoon. And that is the end of another Occult Rejects And until the next one, everybody be well later