Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is your wake up call for Friday, April twenty fifth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Ready to get your day started, Got my coffee, got my oatmeal? Ready to go. Here's a Friday fun Fact. I think I'm gonna start sharing these every once in a while. Friday Fun Fact. Selfies now cause more deaths than shark attacks. Twenty eight selfie related deaths happen each year, the leading cause being heights you've heard of. The people are like, they want to get that great view of the ocean behind them standing on a cliff and off they go. Yeah, careful people. Also, I feel a Dodger dog coming on. The Dodgers back in town to take on the Pirates tonight at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: We're going.
Speaker 1: So iwhere my Dodger blue But it's sort of a hybrid, so it's a Dodger blue jersey, but it's got Disneyland on the back. So we might go to Disneyland this weekend too. My friend Heidi's in town, so also happy Birthday to my birth Happy birthday to my little baby brother Rob. I think his wife Casey is listening, so happy birthday. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. The La City Council Budget and Finance Committee is going to hold the first of a series of meetings today to talk about and make revisions to La Maerbes has proposed thirteen point nine billion dollar spending plan for the twenty twenty five twenty six fiscal year. The meeting will be the first of two opportunities for the public to have their say about the budget, with a second coming on Monday. A man in Long Beach accused of picking his puppy up by the neck with her leash and then slamming her onto the pavement, has been charged with felony animal cruelty. Police say after slamming her onto the ground, the twenty eight year old was seen on video kicking her and dragging her. You could get four years in prison if convicted. Taking off my news hat, I think he should get fifty. This is ridiculous and disgusting. More than one hundred and twenty eight thousand of the faithful have filed past the open coffin of Pope Francis to pay their last respects at Saint Peter's Basilica. Francis will lie in state through today. The Pope's funeral is set for Saturday at one am our time. After the funeral is conclave, and conclave is all the rage. ABC's Will Gans joins us to talk about that. We'll also be talking murder and anti government groups, new stuff on the stream. We're going to work, but apparently we don't really care. ABC's Jim Ryan's gonna explain that. Coming up at five twenty and just moments away is the Trump administration talking to China about tariffs and how ad talks going between Ukraine and Russia. ABC's Karen Travers at the White House joins us.
Speaker 2: In just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news. Sure, dozens of teenagers on bicycles been caught on cell phone VIDI video looting a roufs in South LA. They also released pepper spray in the store Saturday before insulting a gay couple and throwing rocks at their car. One of the men tells KTLA he and his husband were terrified and felt trapped in their vehicle as things escalated.
Speaker 3: I understand that these are children, but they're doing really scary things and we can't just decide that it's not happening.
Speaker 1: Pully say it is possible the teens could be linked to other similar crimes. The homeless man accused of chopping down a bunch of trees around LA's been charged with eight counts of felony vandalism. Gay Ifi's Mark Mayfield says the guy's accused of causing almost three hundred and fifty thousand dollars in damage.
Speaker 4: Most of the destroyed trees were in the downtown area. The estimated cost is for damage repairs and replacements.
Speaker 1: Samuel Groft allegedly used a chainsaw to chop down the trees earlier this month.
Speaker 2: He pleaded not guilty.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, LA's mayors kicked off the next phase of renovations at LAX. Mayor Math says five billion dollars worth of new contracts in this phase are all about small and minority owned businesses. Thirty one new contracts have been awarded as part of an overall thirty billion dollar upgrade scheduled to be finished before the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympic Games. Bass also says the automated people mover project that began construction in twenty nineteen should be in operation by the first quarter of twenty twenty six. President Trump's Armenian Remembrance Day statement has drawn criticism from Armenian.
Speaker 3: The Armenian National Committee, which has an office in Glendale, says the President has retreated from calling it a genocide. Senator Adam Schiff tells KFI he agrees.
Speaker 5: I carried legislation to recognize the genocide. We finally got that legislation passed. President Biden formally recognized the genocide, the first president to do so as president.
Speaker 3: More than six hundred thousand Armenians have been estimated to have been killed by the Ottoman Empire during World War One. Critics say Trump won't use the word genocide because of pressure from Turkey. Michael Monks KFI news.
Speaker 1: Memorial mass for Pope Francis is being held at the Canee of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown La. It set to start just afternoon today. LA Archbishop Jose Gomez says the service will be as he put it in thanksgiving for the life and Ministry of Pope Francis. The mass is being held a day before the Pope's funeral in Rome. Pope Francis died early Monday. He was eighty eight. It's five seven on your Friday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers at the White House. Karen, President Trump says he's got a deadline to get a peace deal done between Ukraine and Russia.
Speaker 2: But did he say when it is?
Speaker 6: No, He just said fast. He did not say the deadline. I mean remember this as a president who when he was a candidate said that he could end the war between Russia and Ukraine on day one. Next week, of course, is one hundred days for this administration. And these attacks by Russia, especially this week on Ukraine, have been unrelenting. There was the attack on Kiev earlier this week, two days ago, was one of the deadliest attacks on the capitol in months. It even prompted President on social media yesterday to say, Vladimir stop. He was asked about that in the Oval Office yesterday about his level of frustration at this point with Putin, and the President said, I didn't like last night. I wasn't happy with it. We're in the midst of talking peace and missiles were fired, okay.
Speaker 1: And then to reach some sort of a deal, there's going to be some give. Do we have any idea or inkling of what the give is and who's going to have to give more?
Speaker 6: I mean, Ukraine has said we will negotiate, we will not surrender. And the proposal put on the table about the Trump administration has them giving up land that Russia has seized since the invasion, but also giving up Crimea. They have rejected this current proposal. It's notable because during Trump's first term, his administration had said that Crimea would remain part of Ukraine. Senator or excuse me, Secretary of State Mark or Rubio back when he was a senator, I had talked about the Dame injurer of letting Russia keep Crimea. So it's a notable shift as the administration now is really pushing hard to get this to a peace agreement.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then before we let you go there, there was also some talk about China because Trump is saying, hey, things are going good, We're progressing in China's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not even talking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for the second day in a row. China publicly, on the record, has said there are no negotiations right now on tariffs, and the statement today was that the United States should not confuse the public. Yesterday they said it was fake news when the President said that there were active negotiations and conversations happening. The President was asked about this yesterday. He claimed that there was a meeting between the US and China yesterday, but he did not give details. We asked the White House repeatedly about this yesterday. They also did not give details.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like he's saying that there's some secret kind of back room talks going on that China's not acknowledging publicly, and whether that's happening or not, we don't know.
Speaker 6: And China is on the record with government spokesman saying this is just not true. We are not talking right now.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Karen Travers at the White House. Thank you so much, have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: Thank you great.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. A federal judge says President Trump's executive order on sanctuary cities appears to be unconstitutional.
Speaker 7: District Judge William Oric blocked the White House from enforcing the crackdown on sixteen cities and counties that brought a lawsuit. The order directed Attorney General Pam Bondi and Homeland Security Secretary Christine Nome to deny sanctuary cities access to federal funds. The Obama appointed judge said the order similar to one issued in Trump's first term, which was also invalidated by Oric. The ruling bars the administration from enforcing the order against various regions in California, King County, Washington, Minneapolis, New Haven, Portland, Saint Paul, Santa Fe and Seattle. Mark ronnor KFI News.
Speaker 1: And that wasn't the only setback the administration got yesterday from the courts. A federal judge in New York blocked the Trump administration from immediately enacting certain changes to how federal elections are run, including adding a proof of citizenship requirement. The judge yesterday said the Constitution gives the power to regulate federal elections to states and to Congress, not the president. Trump says a proof of citizens citizenship requirement is needed to restore public confidence in elections. The judge did allow parts of Trump's election order to stand, including a directive to Titan mail in ballot deadlines. A judge's ruled prosecutors can pursue the death penalty against Brian Coburger if he's convicted of murdering four University of Idaho students that happened in twenty twenty two. This comes despite Coburger's recent diagnosis of autism. His attorneys had asked the judge to remove the death penalty as a possible punishment, saying the autism reduces Coburger's culpability and exposes him to unacceptable risk that he'll be wrongfully convicted.
Speaker 2: Trial is set to begin in August. Investigators in Florida saying an ongoing family fight led to a fatal shooting at a car dealership in Miami Dade.
Speaker 6: During that conference, the subject shot both the victims.
Speaker 1: Sheriff Rosy Cordero Stutz says deputies heard gunshots when they got to the scene yesterday. She says a man killed was shot by his half brother. The shooter is said to be in critical condition. The sheriff stress that it was not a random act of violence. The man accused of killing United healthcare CEO Brian Thompson in New York is doing federal court to answer to murder charges. Luigi Mangioni was indicted last week by a federal grand jury. Attorney General Piam Bondi says she plans to pursue the death penalty. A senior Russian military officer has been killed by a car bomb. Russia's top criminal investigation agency says the explosive device was placed in his car in an area just outside Moscow. The investigative committee did not say who is believed to be responsible. Filmmaker Ryan Kugler has Hollywood executives a little nervous because of his latest hit movie.
Speaker 8: The horror movie Sinners starring Michael B. Jordan, debuted number one of the box office last weekend. But it's the deal Coogler cut with Warner Brothers that some say could be the beginning of the end of the studio system. The studio gave Coogler, who wrote and directed Sinner and was also behind Black Panther in Creed, ownership of Sinners after twenty five years, meeting no residual money for the studios at that point. Coogler, who's only made five films, but is already one of the fifty highest grossing directors of all time. Says the deal to own Sinners was for personal reasons and he won't look for ownership of future stuff. Michael Krozer kf I News.
Speaker 1: A woman in Florida has been accused of pretending to be an immigration agent so she could kidnap her ex boyfriend's wife from her job. The Bay County Sheriff's Office says the woman was wearing a black T shirt with ice printed on the front when she went to the wife's work place a couple of weeks ago. She had a handheld radio, flashed a sheriff's office business card, and told the woman she had to leave with her. The woman did, but was eventually able to get away and called police. When we come back, we're going to work. But you know what, we don't really care. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to explain that's coming up in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Wake Up Call on Demand from KFI AM six forty Kono.
Speaker 1: Is off today. He's sick. Debor Mark was sick. Neil is sick. I'm getting a little worried because I'm going on vacation in a week, and I better not get sick. You know how when it was like COVID and then like somebody would get it, and then everybody would feel really bad because they're like, oh my god, I gave you to COVID. I'm going to make you feel really bad if you get me sick before I go on vacation. It's five point twenty on your Friday morning wake up call. Thanks for getting your day started with us. We're almost home for the weekend. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Blue Shield of California has suffered a massive data breach. The healthcare provider is just now notifying nearly five million members that their private information may have been shared through a tracking tool between April of twenty twenty one and January of twenty twenty four. Blue Shield says it has fixed the issue and no data has been shared since January of twenty twenty four. Okay, so it's the end of April twenty twenty five and we didn't.
Speaker 2: Know about this for over a year.
Speaker 1: Really, the man accused of killing United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson on a New York City street is said to be arraigned on federal charges this afternoon. Attorney General Pam Bondi has directed prosecutors to seek the death penalty for Luigi Mangioni. Heads of state and royalty will start converging on Rome for the funeral of Pope Francis in the Vatican's Saint Peter's Square. It'll be held tomorrow starting at one am hour time. President Trump and Ukraine's President Zelenski are among those attending tens of thousands of the faithful of filed past the Pope, whose body lies in state through today at Saint Peter's Basilica at six o five tandle on the news, Presidents must like one word warnings. First it was Biden saying don't Now it's Trump saying stop. Let's not stop the conversation. Let's keep it going and say good morning too. ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 2: So, Jim, we're all here, we're at work. But you know what, we don't care.
Speaker 10: That's by and large it. Yeah, that's what Gallup has found.
Speaker 11: What is that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're not feeling engaged, and you try to put something like emotions into something objective like numbers and then plot that on a map. And that's what Gallup has tried to do, asking folks around the world, not just in the US, but around the world, how they feel about their jobs. Do they feel that what they're doing is important, that it matters, that they're making a difference, or do they feel kind of out of it and you know, checked out, wanted to go home and then you know, drink their sorrows away. Who knows. But yeah, So, for only the second time since two thousand and nine, that's when Gallup started putting this global employee Engagement chart together. Since only for only the second time, the number has gone down, So workers are feeling less engaged than they did just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: So, Jim, when you say they feel less engaged, does that make I mean, is it what I just said?
Speaker 2: It's like people are there, but they don't care.
Speaker 1: They're just sort of like going through the motions but not really emotionally invested in it or anything exactly.
Speaker 10: And those folks are disengaged. The ones who are actively disengaged are the ones who vocally can't stand their jobs or they're looking to get out, they're trying to find something else, And I mean those are the folks who are hardcore just upset with their work environmental together. The others are just sort of blah. They go, they check in, they do their thing, and they go home. And there is a price to pay for that.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 10: Some companies might say, fine, I don't know, it really doesn't matter how you feel, long as you do your job and get it done and go home. But disengagement, I mean the sense of not being involved or having some importance. It's costing the world economy four hundred and thirty eight billion dollars in lost productivity worldwide according to Gallop.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know I was going to ask you, does it translate to work productivity directly?
Speaker 10: Sure?
Speaker 2: And they can see.
Speaker 10: That absolutely, and it's I'm sure. There are all sorts of formulas that Gallup uses to quantify this. Take something touchy feelia like I don't feel great about my job into how much is it costing the company? But the suffice to say that employers are managers or a company heads. The CEOs who are interested in the productivity of the company should also be interested in the engagement of their workers. And a lot of it comes down to managers According to Gallup, people don't feel you know, the managers are caught in the middle, and they have been for at least the last few years. They're supervisors are kind of disengaged, their workers are disengaged, and the managers are right there in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know how they say, it kind of trickles down too. I mean, if you have a great manager and they're able to fire you up and get you go in, I think that that has, you know, goes a long way one.
Speaker 10: Hundred percent, and training managers in that direction, getting them to to not just know how to do the job that their workers are doing, but also how to manage those people. That's the thing that, according to Gallup, is going to help to turn these numbers around in the future. And as sorrow, you know, as bad as things are in this country with only thirty two percent of the population really engage in their jobs, it's worse in other parts of the world, much worse in other probably. I mean, look at France. You know we talk about how you know, French people get all sorts of time off. Well, eight percent of those folks are engaged.
Speaker 2: Eight percent, yeah.
Speaker 10: Eight percent, compared to our thirty two percent. So, while one in three of us are feeling engaged and good about our work, under one in ten in France feel good about their work.
Speaker 1: Okay, and our employers doing anything to try to get workers to re engage or do they just kind of not care?
Speaker 10: No, Some are, especially in the United States and in Europe come andanies are taking on this challenge and they're trying to put best practices into place to ensure that managers are well trained there, that they have the tools and the assets they need to to help their work without And it doesn't have to cost a lot of money. It's as simple as training your managers to help recognize performance of their workers. You know, managers who who make their employees feel good about their jobs will themselves feel good about their jobs.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'm going to continue to care. I'm the one, I'm the thirty two percent.
Speaker 10: I used there was a photographer worked for a channel for a TV station here in Dallas for worth and you had a sticker on the side of his camera back in the day, and it said give them quality whether they want it or not.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, Well, it's always quality time that you and I get to spend together.
Speaker 2: ABC's Jim Ryan, thanks so much for the info.
Speaker 10: You have a nice weekend.
Speaker 2: Thanks you too.
Speaker 1: Despite us dry start to the winter, California has caught up and now has above average snowfall for the third year in a row. That's for the first time in twenty five years. Officials are calling it a snowpacked trifecta. Southern California still short on rainfall, and work is being done to secure water from northern California and from the Colorado River. Governor Newsham, along with cal Fire, have announced plans to beef up the state's airborne fire fighting.
Speaker 2: Fleet ahead of peak fire seasons.
Speaker 10: Not another state in the country that is resourced as the state of California.
Speaker 12: As it relates to its aerial fighting fleet.
Speaker 10: It's fact the largest in the world, the largest civilian aerial fighting fleet.
Speaker 1: The state now has seven sy whin thirty water dropping planes. They're not all in service. Two are in service, a third is being retrofitted and will be ready to fly by late summer. The rest of the fleet's going to be retrofitted and is expected to be ready by the end of twenty twenty six. CalFire says it has also doubled its use of drones and is using AI tools to help detect fires faster.
Speaker 2: Three people suspected.
Speaker 1: Of posing as food food delivery workers have been arrested in Alhambra for allegedly trying to burglarize burglarize a home. You did what, police A One woman pretended to be a driver to see if anyone was home and then signaled her partners to break in. Officers arrived mid burglary and with the help of K nine Doggo, caught all three. The son of former NBA player Gilbert Arenas, has been seriously hurt in a car crash in LA.
Speaker 12: That's what higher quid fire, That's.
Speaker 9: Your life for.
Speaker 1: Eighteen year old Elijah Arenas is in a medically induced colma. The crash happened early yesterday in the San Fernando Valley. Arenas is a five star basketball prospect and committed to play at USC La Metro. CEO has received a big raise and a contract extension.
Speaker 3: Stephanie Wiggins will see a pay bump on June first of one hundred thousand dollars and four more years as CEO of the transit agency shall make five hundred ten thousand dollars each year. Metro chair and LA County Supervisor Jennis Han says it's deserved.
Speaker 13: For the excellent job she's done leading this agency during very chout look.
Speaker 12: At that.
Speaker 3: Metro is in the midst of a large expansion of its rail service, the creation of its own internal police department, and preparation for the twenty twenty eight Olympics. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Former New York Congressman George Santos says he expects to get the maximum today when he sentenced for wire fraud and identity theft. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says Santos pleaded guilty to crimes.
Speaker 4: And admitted that he sole from campaign donors and lined about it to Congress. On Thursday, Santos told reporters that he expects the maximum eighty seven month prison sentence to be handed down, adding he's totally resigned to being in prison for over seven years.
Speaker 1: Defense lawyers say they are hoping for a lighter two year sentence. A renowned stunt pilot has been killed in a plane crash in Virginia. Officials say Rob Holland died during a landing at Langley Air Force Base near Hampton yesterday. A post on his Facebook page describes Holland as one of the most respected and inspiring aerobatic pilots in aviation history. San Francisco's Union Squares losing another high end shop, Sacks fifth Avenue, has announced its plans to close the location for good on May tenth.
Speaker 2: This woman who lives in the area says that's not good.
Speaker 6: Sacks fifth Avenue has been a staple Genions Square for many years now, and it's kind of sad as local to see it go.
Speaker 1: Sacks laid off dozens of employees at the store less than a year ago and went to appointment only operations. It becomes the latest major retailer to close its Union Square location in the last few years, joining Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom. Tonight, the Dodgers are back in LA. They're going to be at Chavez Ravine.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be there.
Speaker 1: They're taking on the Pirates with the first pitch going out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all Dodger games all season long on AM five seven LA Sports, and stream all the Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five to seventy. La Sports Zenschi handcrafted sushi made fresh daily and it's delicious. It's at raups near the deli counter when we come back. Are you fun and engaging and filled with fun facts about your favorite theme park and also obsessed with Hollywood, Well we may have found the perfect job for you. That's coming up next. Southland Weather from KFI morning, low clouds and drizzle, then some sun breaking through for the afternoon, hies in the load to mid sixties. Clouds tonight, chance of ring tomorrow morning and then rain is likely for the afternoon. Could be heavy at times, not going to be long lived though. Highs will be in the upper fifties to mid sixties. And then for Sunday, partly cloudy with highs in the loadamid's sixties. Not quite spring like, is it.
Speaker 9: You're listening to a wake up call on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The man charged with felony vandals and for cutting down trees around downtown La with a chainsaw. It's going to cost the city hundreds of thousands of dollars. The La County DA's office said it'll cost the city three hundred and forty seven thousand dollars to replace the at least eight trees Samuel Groft cut down between April fourteenth and nineteenth.
Speaker 2: It was all caught on.
Speaker 1: Video Catholics around La Not all of it was caught on videos. Some of it was caught on video. Catholics around La will gather to honor the late Pope Francis at a memorial mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. Archbishop Jose Gomez will lead the mass around noontime today to bid a final farewell to the Pope from Los Angeles. Fewer than eighteen percent of Californians earned enough last year to buy a median priced home in the state. The Census Bureau shows the twenty twenty three home ownership rate for Californians was just under fifty six percent. The median price for a home in the state eight hundred and sixty five thousand dollars. In La County, it's nine hundred nineteen thousand. It's one point two million. That's the median price in Orange County at six oh five. It's handle on the news just about a half hour away now. Trump says his people are talking with China. China says that's fake news. We'll see what Bill has to say about that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if you're looking for a job, you know how Jim Ryan and I were just talking about how people are like kind of phoning it in.
Speaker 2: They're going to the jobs, but they just don't care.
Speaker 1: But if you're like passionate about Hollywood and you like people, we might have found the perfect job for you. And that's at Universal Studios. They're looking for tour guides. And I will tell you when I first moved to to La, like everybody I met had been a Universal Studios tour guide.
Speaker 2: At some point they're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh yeah, I used to do that and then and they had these lifelong friendships from people that they met doing it and stuff, And I was like, that sounds like really fun. People have lots of like industrial knowledge and like to share fun facts in trivia. When we went on our Warner Brothers Studio tour, Producer ran and I went, I don't know about a month or two ago, and it was the same thing, like the guy who was taking us around just had all these facts about all these movies and TV shows and how things are made and who did what and where they were And as a kind of a fan of Hollywood and movies and TV, I thought it was just fascinating. So if that's you, this might be your chance. They're doing open auditions. They're already underway, but they're going all the way through May fourteenth. Open call auditions for new guides for the Studio Tour. Stay from a statement from Universal says Studio Tour guides roles are desirable positions. They require many adaptable skills and are teaming with a host of opportunities. This is how you apply. You put together a self taped audition, introduce yourself if you have any relevant experience, whether you know public speaking, customer engagement. Basically, if you're a ham, it's a good thing. Also read a passage from the official tour script so they can hear what you sound like. When you're doing your Universal Studios pitch, you can get the details at USh jobs, Universal Studios Hollywood.
Speaker 2: That's what the USh is. USh jobs dot Com.
Speaker 1: A casting team will then review the online submissions and then reach out to you if you make it to the next step in the hiring process. I think it would be fun. I know a couple people who I think should be tour guides.
Speaker 2: It'd be nice. It'd be a fun job, though, and you get to ride around on the trams all day. Gotta love that. Do we have Courtney with us? We do?
Speaker 1: Then let's get into our business. Let's get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe, Morning, Courtney.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday. We made it. We did always a while week here in the markets. Well we almost made it. Not quite yet, all right.
Speaker 14: Oh, I'm stay positive. I'm staying positive. Okay, Well, then you're the markets.
Speaker 1: Aren't talk about the markets first, because we had another pretty strong day yesterday, three days of games on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: But today's not looking so good.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it looks like we're on shaky ground this morning. And one of the reasons is Intel. So Intel says it's bureaucratic culture needs a shakeup, so job cuts are on the way, layers of management will be removed, and they're forcing everyone back to the office. Intel's also warning that a terra fuel recession could torpedo Chip demand. So this grim outlook is sending shares sliding this Friday, and that's put this three day rebound for stocks out of the picture today, but we have seen over the past three days some optimism on Wall Street. It was driven by the prospect of trade deals we've been hearing headlines about that. Also hopes that the Federal Reserve will cut interest rates to prevent a recession. But Intel seems to be overshadowing.
Speaker 10: All of that.
Speaker 14: Today dal features are down one hundred and thirty points.
Speaker 2: But yesterday he said it was a good day.
Speaker 14: The Dow rose four hundred and eighty seven points, with the markets expecting a quarter point interest rate cut from the Federal Reserve in June to try to prevent this recession.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then here's my question for you, Courtney, because yesterday when we talked, the futures were pretty they were down a couple hundred points, but then we ended up having a really good day.
Speaker 10: What happened?
Speaker 14: Yeah, So what was happening is traders were actually saying, well, all of this bad news that we're getting is kind of good news because that means the Federal Reserve will have to step in at some point to try to stop what's going on right now. So anytime we see bad news, bad headlines, bad economic data, sometimes that moves the market in the opposite direction of what you think, because that's the point where the Federal Reserve is going to say, well, maybe we should take a look at this a little bit further and see what we can do to try to prevent any more of an economic downturn from happening.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll be watching. Okay, so let's get in McDonald's business. They're adding something to the menu for the first time in four years.
Speaker 14: So McDonald says they've been listening to us and diners have been asking for more chickens, so they're rolling out this chicken mccrispy strips next month. So this is the first new permanent menu item in four years.
Speaker 2: But this is important.
Speaker 14: This can mean that the snack wrap, which is a huge fan favorite. I love this jack, well, that may be it could be coming back soon. And we know it was discontinued close to a decade ago. But McDonald's dropped a clue at the end of the press release for the strips, saying, quote and that's a wrap at least for now. So everybody's going, yeah, this might happen, but we're going to find the mccrispy strips and all of the restaurants coming up on May fifth. And I also want to quickly mention because this is a California fast food story and this has.
Speaker 9: Crossed this week.
Speaker 14: Jack in the Box is possibly looking to sell Del Taco, so it acquired the chain in twenty twenty two, and sources are telling us Del Taco could be valued at as much as two hundred million dollars in a sale.
Speaker 1: I love a good Del Taco, Okay. So then we go from chicken. Which came first? Chicken or the egg? Who knows, but let's talk about egg prices, and it's what people are doing.
Speaker 2: Well, this is funny.
Speaker 14: The surgeon egg prices is pushing so many folks to try their hands at raising a chicken flock of their own.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I could do that.
Speaker 1: I has one, she's got a bunch of them, and they crank out the eggs.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 14: But we were talking to animal feed and farm equipment retailer Tractor Supply. They're very big in the rural communities and they said that they expect to sell a record amount of chicks this year, So around a million households own backyard chickens. That's up twenty eight percent from just two years ago. But Tractor Supply says one chicken can eat over seventy five pounds of feet a year.
Speaker 2: So this is a big warning.
Speaker 14: If you're going out there and you're gonna buy one.
Speaker 1: You're cost of buying the feed, your cost benefit analysis, You need to check that out.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but Tractor Supply says that's good because it keeps bringing customers right back in to the store.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Okay, So why are parents mad at Costco?
Speaker 14: Well, they switched the company that manufactures their Kirkland signature diapers. So parents say the new diapers are paper thin and that's leading to leaks. So Costco's out there they say, we don't plan to change suppliers. But they did suggest as a solution that parents let the diapers sit out overnight so they can expand.
Speaker 2: But I'm not sure how much that's gonna work as a parent of two kids.
Speaker 1: And that's not only parents, it's new parents who are dealing with diapers and they're already stressed out because they have a little one not sleeping through the night exactly.
Speaker 14: Bringing back the pins and the old way of doing things.
Speaker 2: Hey, when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: I got to fold diapers every day because my baby brother I was like seven and we had cloth diapersow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's hard. It's really hard. All right, Thanks for getting in your business. It's Bloomberg's Courtney.
Speaker 1: Donaho.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend. We'll talk to you Monday. You too, enjoy yourself.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thirty one year old former Orange County residents been sends to seven years in prison for taking a half million dollars in illegal kick packs from sober living homes in exchange for finding new patients. It's known as body brokering. Darius Moore received payoffs after the facilities build patients private health insurance plans. A grieving family wants a new pedestrian safety upgrades in Torrance.
Speaker 13: You took him from a family. You know we're hurting the family of thirty eight year old Carls Gonzalez wants change after he was killed in a hit and run accident over Easter weekend. Gonzalez was hit by multiple cars while crossing Pacific Coast Highway near Ocean Avenue, an area with no crosswalk.
Speaker 2: One driver stayed, the other fled and.
Speaker 13: Has yet to be found.
Speaker 11: You got to come forward.
Speaker 13: Loved ones gathered for a vigil this week, remembering Gonzalez as a kind, hardworking man with dreams of starting a family. His girlfriend says, you just got a new job certification before his death. Fully say, video footage is too blurry to offer any solid leads. Heatherbrooker, KFI News.
Speaker 1: When we come back, conclave is all the ray. ABC's Willgans is going to join us to talk about that, and we'll also be talking about murder and anti government groups on the stream.
Speaker 9: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI Am six.
Speaker 1: Forty and we're almost out of here. Wake Up Call almost history for the week. That means that we're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning. A Handle's going to talk about beefing up our firefighting forces in California ahead of the peak fire season. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour news room. A federal judge has blocked the White House from cutting off federal funding for sixteen sanctuary cities and counties. District Judge William Oric in San Francisco says Trump's executive order appears to be unconstitutional. More than fourteen thousand cases of theft have been referred for prosecution in the first year of Governor Newsom's initiative to crack down on theft in California. The program costs two hundred and sixty seven million dollars. Nearly eleven thousand of the cases were for organized to retail theft, just over three thousand and four vehicle theft. John Cheu, the filmmaker behind the screen adaptation of Wicked, Love That Movie and Crazy Rich Americans Love That Movie Too, will receive an honorary degree at USC's commencement ceremony at the LA Memorial Coliseum. Chew will also deliver the keynote address at the ceremony on May fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Let's say good morning too. Our multi platform reporter from ABC willgans morning Will.
Speaker 12: Good morning to you. Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we actually had this tuned on last night because Conclave is all the rage.
Speaker 12: It is all the rage, and it's available to stream for free for the first time since it hit theaters. It's streaming for free on Amazon Prime Video. And just like you, I think a lot of people are tuning into Conclave. It's been streams like upwards of twenty million minutes this week, which is, you know, a ton of viewership, but for a good reason. I mean, obviously it's a good movie. It was nominated for Best Picture this year at the Academy Awards, Ray Fines was nominated for Best Actor, and it won for Best Adapted Screenplay, So it's won a very good movie. And two, you know, a lot of experts, you know, people who have spent time in the Vatican and work for the church, have said, yeah, this is actually kind of what it's like whenever the College of Cardinals convenes to try and find and elect a new pope. You know, it's it's political to some extent. It's you know, the cardinals from each of these different places in the world, the continents and stuff, sort of backing people that suit their own interests. And yeah, it's I mean, it's a good movie. And you know there's a couple of twists along the way that you're like, oh, wow, didn't see that coming, which of course that's probably where the fictionalized aspect comes in. But you know, given the death of the pope and the fact that these cardinals are all convening right now. Yeah, seems like a good time to check out conflict.
Speaker 2: Well, think there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of palace intrigue because it is fascinating the whole process and how they go behind closed doors and they have to it's all very secretive, and then when they don't come to an agreement, they put out black smoke and then you know, in the white smoke thing. I mean, it is all pretty interesting, especially if you're well, I mean for Catholics because they have a vested interest, but also for non Catholics because it's like this whole world that we don't really know.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of a cool insight.
Speaker 12: Exactly exactly, and it is, you know, for something that is happening in twenty twenty five, like the fact that it's no cell phones, cut off from the rest of the world, no watching TV. It does feel very like other time, other place, you know, fly on the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I thought it was funny because we again I told you we were watching it last night that now it's it all it feels like going back in time because it's in this in the Vatican in Rome and it's all very historic and then they're going through metal detectors.
Speaker 2: Thought that was kind of funny.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, uh huh yeah.
Speaker 1: And I love Stanley Tucci is in it. John Lisko of course finds is in it. It's just it's an amazing cast. And is it Isabella.
Speaker 2: Rosselini No, yeah, yeah, I mean it's.
Speaker 1: Just it's a great cast. So if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that one. Okay, let's move over to Netflix and talk about You.
Speaker 12: Yeah. So this is the final season of the series You, that was of course inspired by that best selling novel by Caroline Ketnis and it's it's told from the perspective of a guy who is a stalker, and he's the main character. And in the series, he's played by Penn Badgeley, who some people may remember from Gossip Girl. Uh and you know, he's a creep for lack of a better word, but our he's our creep. And like it's one of those ones where you know, like people are watching the show and they're like, am I allowed to be having a crush on this guy? I mean, he's horrible. But anyway, so this is the fifth and final season. All the episodes just dropped on Netflix yesterday, So if you're looking for something to binge this weekend. You know, it's twisted. He's creepy, he's a killer, and he's caught up sort of in this world of like elites. You know. He has a very like rich and powerful wife who is sort of you know, provided him some sort of protection, you know, with all of the resources she has. And so we get to finally wrap up his story. Joe Goldberg is his name in the show. And yeah, it's it has its devoted following for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, I've never even heard of it, so I might have to add that to my list. Okay, And then Jude Law is back in the order and this is a movie.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so this I actually like. It was such a fun surprise to find. It was a limited theatrical release in December, but now it's finally on Hulu streaming for the first time for free since it was in theaters. And it's a true story and Jude Law plays an FBI agent in the nineteen eighties who is trying to bring down a group of like white supremacist terrorists, essentially domestic terrorists who they start off, you know, just by robbing banks and armored cars. And you can tell that they're working towards something bigger, and he is Jude Law's character is on their tail the whole time and trying to make sure that, you know, they don't pull off what they're trying to do. And it's fascinating. Like I didn't really know this story, and you know, watching the movie, it was you know, pretty gripping from start to finish.
Speaker 2: And based on a true story.
Speaker 12: Yeah, oh, I liked.
Speaker 1: I love stuff that's based on a true story, even though you know, I mean, they take some creative license with it, but it's fun to like go, wow, that kind of.
Speaker 12: Really happened exactly exactly and just like a peak behind the curtain of some of the you know, really really nastier parts of American history. So yeah, it's it's a good movie. All right.
Speaker 2: ABC's Willgans, thanks for the info.
Speaker 12: All right, thanks, Amy, has a great weekend.
Speaker 2: You too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. California's economy maybe the fourth largest in the world, but some people aren't feeling it.
Speaker 3: The latest GDP report shows Kellia moving ahead of Japan. Senator Adam Schiff tells KFI one of the reasons residents may not feel that growth is because of a need for better housing policy.
Speaker 5: You can have the best programs in the world and can spend a fortune on them to move people off the street and into housing, but if you're not building new housing and bringing down the cost of housing, there's simply going to be new people taking their place on the street.
Speaker 3: California's economy is only smaller than the entire United States, China, and Germany. Michael monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A documentary on the Eton and Palisades fires is now available on YouTube.
Speaker 11: Resilience then Told Stories of La County first Responders was made by unions representing Los Angeles County Fire Department, firefighters, La County Sheriff's Department deputies, and County lifeguards. The nearly thirty five minute documentary, release Thursday, combines footage from body worn cameras, social media videos, news coverage, and interviews with first responders.
Speaker 1: Kafi's Tammy Tree Truehio says the documentary focuses on challenges faced by the first responders in January. It also highlights how wildfire seasons are longer and more destructive. I think I might have to add that to my list of things to watch as well. The Stagecoach Country Music Festival getting underway in Indio. Camper started showing up yesterday. The event starts this afternoon. The lineup featuring a lot of stars Alana Springs, Springsteen, Carter Faith, Dylan Scott, Sammy Hagar, and the Bacon Brothers which also includes Kevin Bacon. The festival runs through Sunday. I love a good country show. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County South End. Weather from KFI. Some areas of low clouds and drizzle possible this morning, then partly cloudy for the afternoon. Ees in the low sixties at the beaches, mid sixties for Metro LA and Inlando c mid sixties in the Valley's fifties to mid sixties for the Annelote Valley.
Speaker 2: And this is new.
Speaker 1: This was not in the forecast yesterday, but now we have a chance of rain tomorrow morning and rain likely in the afternoon. It's going to be cool heis in the upper fifties to mid sixties. Should dry out by Sunday. Partly cloudy, sky's on the way with highs in the low to mid sixties. It's fifty nine in Irvine, fifty four in Pasadena, fifty two in Santa Clarita, fifty eight in Huntington Beach. Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am, Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app