Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And this is KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here on a Friday morning, August twenty third.
Speaker 3: Let's see what's going on.
Speaker 2: Oh, Robert Kennedy expected today to endorse Donald Trump. And the deal is a quid pro quo. You give me a really high position in the administration, I will endorse you. And it looks like Trump.
Speaker 3: Has bought it. Because it looks like Trump has bought it.
Speaker 2: All right, So the big news last night, Oh, before we get to that, just really quickly, the podcast, the Bill Handles Show podcast is dropping again yesterday. It's Tuesday Thursdays, and yesterday was crazy memorabilia. The stuff that people pay for and what they sell is just completely insane, that is. And you can hear it on Spotify. iHeart iHeart app radio app. Also I'm trying to think of all the platforms Apple. In any case, it's Tuesdays and Thursdays, the Bill Handle Show podcast. You can also go to the Bill handleshowpodcast dot com for the website. All right now, last night, Vice President Harris accepted the Democratic nomination. What a shocker, and in a well anticipated hugely anticipated speech and it was the biggest speech.
Speaker 3: Of her career. Usually that happens with accepting the nomination.
Speaker 2: She did and did it pretty well, I thought, And that is do the normal just soaring rhetoric that you hear from nominees at that point and at the same time a personal attack on Donald Trump. And that is going to be the way this campaign is going to go. It is going to be a this is hope.
Speaker 3: Joy.
Speaker 2: Joy is an immense part of the campaign. And then my question is on the joy part. Did it morph into joy or was that plan from the beginning, because as the convention started to keep in mind that she had already won the nomination, they had voted early virtually so this was just to I guess, conclude it in some way symbolically. But it was described by virtually every commentator or every news outlet.
Speaker 3: It was a party. That's what this was. It was a party.
Speaker 2: And everybody that I was watching was, in fact saying that the exuberance in the hall, the electricity did you hear for those of you that watched it or for those of you that didn't, Every time a speaker would be there and there was any kind of a phrase, a short, succinct phrase, the screaming that came from the hall. How many people were up there? Twousand people and in unison they all yelled. One of them, of course, is Kamala Harris's mantra, right when we fight, we win. And every time someone says that the whole place just exploded with that phrase or any phrase that was uttered by a speaker, I mean there was real excitement there, real excitement.
Speaker 3: Also a quick.
Speaker 2: Note, were there more balloons dropped than at any other time. It may get to the point where the hall is going to be nothing but balloons twelve feet deep in the next few elections. But I want to spend a couple of minutes talking about just some of the takeaways, because it would take me a very long time to go through all of it. She spoke for forty minutes. She hit on many different points, and I don't want to hit everyone. But overriding it are two main issues. One is we're going to be in a better place. We're doing pretty well now versus the Republicans portraying.
Speaker 3: America as this miserable place.
Speaker 2: Where unemployment is rife, illegal aliens have taken your jobs, Inflation is out of control. Even though it's under three percent, it's the worst crime we have ever experienced in the country. Not really, crime is down this year pretty substantially. It's going to be that kind of attack. There's two realities here. There are two realities. One is hope and one is change, and one is joyfulness. Now Biden's Biden's administration, which she was part of. She's keeping most of the policy. She's gonna have to differential state, differential, differential, cell, differentiate, differentiate.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bill oh Peek.
Speaker 2: No, as always, what if people think when I do that, this clown gets paid for talking and I can do so much better.
Speaker 3: Two things I want to point out to you.
Speaker 2: One you're absolutely right and two you're absolutely right. Now it's going to differentiate, or try she will differentiate from Biden, but at the same time, not really. She is simply going to put it in I think terms that are more palatable. Look what we did a lot of it is. Look how extraordinary the Biden administration was. Look what he brought to the table, Look what he did, and it was extraordinary. One of the most successful presidencies in the history of the United States.
Speaker 3: That's the way it's being portrayed.
Speaker 2: As far as Donald Trump is portraying her presidency or the Biden administration as the worst in the history of this country, the worst economic peril we've ever been, and far worse than the Great Depression, far worse than the Great Recession. And you know, for some is that true.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't think so. Illegal alien has not taken my job.
Speaker 2: I have yet to meet somebody who says an illegal migrant has taken my job. I'd like to know anybody who has had that happen. But that is the premise. I mean, Trump does go and point to a crowd of ten, fifteen, twenty thousand people and say, migrants have taken your jobs. Yep, certainly has a lot of personal attacks are going on, a lot of truths are being undone and on more. Well, I'm going to say on the Republican side there is more let's just say playing with the truth, and is the Democrat side.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't mean the attacks aren't coming.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go and deal with some of these when we come back in terms of what she said, what she meant, how much of it is real, what kind of rhetoric? And then Donald Trump's response, We know how with the kind of personal attacks, the only issue is how they're going to sign, how they're going to how they're going to come off. What are they what's he going to signal? One of them was great last night in the middle of it, and she talked about coach Walls, right, and he tweeted he was no coach, he was an assistant coach. Don't call him a coach. That was a Donald Trump tweet.
Speaker 1: The Republicans should stop using they take your jobs and start using they take your down payments for home loans, because that's true.
Speaker 2: Now in California, we don't know how many people are not going to get those home loans. And I'd love to see the attack on they're giving illegal aliens home loans.
Speaker 3: That is a legitimate attack.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris accepts the Democratic nomination and a speech that went almost forty minutes, and I'm going.
Speaker 3: To give her pretty good grades.
Speaker 2: She's no Tim Walls. I'll tell you that she's no Oprah. But she did come off as well as I've ever seen her. And she was able to do two hits, and that is describe what she is going to do while and talk about I think almost play a separate part than Joe Biden, when in fact she's probably going to simply maintain the Joe Biden agenda, but she's going to paint it in I think, a different light. It's almost like Pope Francis, who in fact is as conservative as any other pope has been, but he paints it in a very different light. And I think that where Harris went. Now, what she did is spend an enormous amount of time talking about the future, talking about hope, and then the theme is going to be joy that the Democrats are bringing this campaign versus what Donald Trump is bringing. And that's a cynical It couldn't be worse. Life is terrible.
Speaker 3: I connect with that.
Speaker 2: Do you know that even though I'm not a big fan of Donald Trump, and I think the personal attacks I think are and I just don't like the outright lies.
Speaker 3: I mean, just straight out lies.
Speaker 2: That's a big difference in that, as I said earlier, the worst economic point we've ever been in the history of the United States.
Speaker 3: See really, by that.
Speaker 2: She gets elected, it's guaranteed World War three will start. You really get that, I mean, you know that's a little bit far. I really believe that, and so I do believe that the Republican campaign is going to be absolutely personal and portraying this apocalyptic view of what America is going to be if it turns out that the Democrats win. On the other side, she portrays a person who has no guardrails, who thinks more of himself than he does of the country.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 2: Usually people are owed by the presidency. Virtually every president I have seen in my lifetime is totally awed by the presidency. Donald Trump is not. He is owed by Donald Trump. That I guarantee you is the truth. And you know, it's interesting. He is a guy who has been able to pull off being insanely wealthy yet at the same time a populist. By the way, it's not the only person who's ever done this, if you notice last night and certainly Walls and Harrow has talked about their middle class upbringing. I'm one of you. We are in it together. I grew up in a middle class home. My parents gave me everything I needed. My parents made me the person I was. You don't hear that from Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: You don't.
Speaker 2: What you hear is make America great again. And I'm going to do it. And by the way, he's not alone in doing that, being a very wealthy guy and connecting with the people on a populist level.
Speaker 3: You know who did that.
Speaker 2: More than any other president in the history of the United States, Franklin Roosevelt. Franklin Roosevelt, who created social Security and kept this country going through the depression. A lot of people argue that he really didn't do much and all he did was start a socialist government. Well, in reality, people were starving by the millions. And I don't care what anybody says about Franklin Roosevelt.
Speaker 3: He literally kept.
Speaker 2: Millions and millions of people from starving through governmental programs which prior to that Republican administrations A La Hoover simply didn't do.
Speaker 3: And so here he is for the little guy, which he was.
Speaker 2: And Roosevelt had a ton of money and it didn't seem to bother people. The same time Trump comes from a ton of money. He is a billionaire. He started rich, and he made himself even richer with his real estate empire. And no one seems, certainly on the Republican side, no one seems to resent it.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: I think they even admire it on some level, is that he is so wealthy and he did it by fighting the man.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to fight the man for you.
Speaker 2: Why because it's a deep state, because it's the intelligence community is there, They're traders, and it's very weird. The realities here are very strange. So what you saw is at one point, how great America is going to be, how she is going to.
Speaker 3: Basically bring the same.
Speaker 2: Sort of the same philosophy and the same programs as Joe Biden's going to continue with Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: At the same time, there was no hope with Joe Biden. There wasn't.
Speaker 2: The convention would have been a very different animal had Joe Biden stood up there and accepted the nomination.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of depressed a lot of depressed people who.
Speaker 2: Reluctantly are forced to vote for Joe Biden because they won't vote for Donald Trump. And now that has changed. Now it's joy and it really is. You can see it at the convention. I mean, she has been able to electrify, she's been able to ignite the Democratic Party. Now we get to see is it a honeymoon that then is going to.
Speaker 3: Numbers are going to be lowered and.
Speaker 2: It's going to be much much more of a wipeout that was certainly the case when it was Joe Biden. Or is she going to continue with her numbers going up? Tell you one thing, at this point, the Republicans are sweating bullets.
Speaker 3: There is no question about that.
Speaker 2: They are, really, particularly Donald Trump. He has argued that Joe Biden should be in the race, not Kamala Harris. It is unconstitutional for her for him not to be the nominee, and a coup took place. I mean, throwing a lot of stuff out there, as if a nominee can't just say I don't want to run because I'm going to lose, so I can't wait. This is just the start and it's going to be fascinating from now until the election in November. This is the time when it's good to have this job. You know, there are times when it's not, and there are times when it's great.
Speaker 3: Time is going to be great, all right. The other thing that's going on I want to share with you PG and E.
Speaker 2: And the fires that have occurred because of what PG and E did or more importantly didn't do.
Speaker 3: I when forest fires or wildfires.
Speaker 2: Were being reported more and more. I didn't really blame the utilities that much. I always thought that it was ignited by someone and the utilities. You know, those power lines going down really didn't do it. Those power lines going down really did do it. PG and E has reported to state regulators sixty two agnitions in high fire areas so far this year, sixty five for the entirety of twenty twenty three already sixty two. Twenty nine of them occurred just the last few weeks the heat wave in July. So what is going on? Well, PG and E is, first of all, they got nailed, I mean nailed after the campfire. For example, they settle for twenty five billion dollars. Also had to file for bankruptcy. I mean there was no way they were going to just accept all those lawsuits or deal with them. So they had to go to bankruptcy court to figure out what to do and hold off all of the settlements or at least the lawsuits going forward until the settlements were reached. And so they've now been looking at what they can do. One of the things that you would think they would do is clean up all of the brush and the ignitable fuel that's around these power poles, because in case there is a good healthy win down the lines go ignite fires.
Speaker 3: You know what, they're not doing that anymore.
Speaker 2: Why well, because they have one hundred and fifty thousand of them to do. Oh no, actually one hundred and ninety thousand of them to do, So that art is sort of being set aside. What they're doing is relying more heavily on new power line settings at areas that are at high risk of fire. And what they do these are sensors where the electric line shuts off within a tenth of a second when any of the power lines touch anything. Be it a bird that somehow connects two power lines. And you've seen a lot of birds on power lines. It's fine if they're on a single power line. Not so fine when somehow through the bird, two power lines touch and the electricity is conducted.
Speaker 3: Now, to be fair, that's pretty entertaining.
Speaker 2: To see a bird get fried, they actually get vaporized, and always see his feather feathers flying around. But the danger is so extraordinary that a fire can ignite, and look at what happens with all of a sudden in a matter of and We've heard Amy report on this, We've heard this on national news. A fire can start and then double in a matter of hours, and you just never know when.
Speaker 3: It's going to happen. So there, we're not gonna be able to stop arsonists.
Speaker 2: We're not going to be able to stop fires ignited by lightning, although that's pretty rare, but something can be Well, you can arrest arsenists, but you know, what do you do about arsenists other.
Speaker 3: Than arrest them?
Speaker 2: But what can be done is lower the risk of fires by power lines, and that seems to be the majority of fires that occur in wooded areas, and so they're doing everything they can. They have to because the liability is so insane. The reason PG and E is the big news is because it is the largest utility that we have in California, seventy thousand square miles. They cover in northern central California, and so there's a lot of work they have to do and it's going reasonably well.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The reality is if you are even in high risk areas, and this is like the recall of the air bags, since you have so many to do, what do you do about the ones that are not being able to be fixed for years. If you're talking about with for example, in the airbag millions had to be recalled. Okay, if you're number one, or two or five, it's going to happen very quickly.
Speaker 3: What happens if you're number three million?
Speaker 2: And that's the case going on, which is a lot of reason why they changed how they deal with the fires ignited about power lines. First of all, the years it would take, the extraordinary effort and the money that would be spent, and they're saying, it's better off. We're better off, they're better off dealing with these sensors, grabbing them early. And if you're going to clean vegetation, which they're going to in the high high risk areas as opposed to every place else.
Speaker 3: Okay, a quick word about lawsuits.
Speaker 2: One of the things that is fun, and this was a law school where I really enjoyed this stuff, is the history of something called emotional distress, right, either negligent or intentional emotional distress. Now, historically you had to be hurt to also have an emotional distress lawsuit. Going emotional distresses, you're not hurt, it's just the emotions, and the law said you had to actually be hurt before you could file for emotional distress. Okay, now that changed a bit, and for example, mothers seeing their kids run over. All right, mother wasn't hurt, but you know, that sort of reached the level where emotional distress flew. Another one that's really neat, which is almost universe, is when families are dealing with dead people. There are some cases that I remember, for example, on the way to the grave site and the pallbearers are bringing the coffin and Uncle Murray falls out the bottom of the coffin and then starts rolling, and people were there, the family members were there. There was a lawsuit for emotional distress. Okay, fair enough, and now it's more sort of accepted. But this is here's why it's going to go. This is about as family oriented emotional distress as it exists.
Speaker 3: Jesse Peterson is thirty one years old.
Speaker 2: She is a Type one diabetic and has a diabetic She has a seizure. She came in she had some kind of an episode, so she calls nine to one one.
Speaker 3: She gets to the hospital. Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: And the family doesn't know this and they start looking for her file a missing person's where the hell she?
Speaker 3: Where is she?
Speaker 2: So they said that they found out that she went to the hospital. The hospital never notified them that she had died at the hospital. They were led to believe that she had checked out of the hospital on her own against medical advice. Well it turns out she didn't and they were told she checked out. So they're now doing the search. And I mean they're doing the search with posters and calling the police, and they're on the internet, and they're telling friends and they have strangers looking for them.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's the problem.
Speaker 2: She had called her mom, asked her to pick her up from the hospital when she felt better, and she comes to the hospital.
Speaker 3: Nope, she's checked out. Oh my god. And then they can't find her.
Speaker 2: So it turns out that she had died at the hospital, and the hospital telling mom and dad that she checked out.
Speaker 3: It turned out that she hadn't checked out.
Speaker 2: It turned out she had died that day, and they parked her in the morgue, and a death certificate, which has to be issued immediately upon the death of someone in the hospital, wasn't issued until a year later, when they discovered that she was camped in the morgue and the family finally found out about it, and here comes a lawsuit.
Speaker 3: Asking for twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Now, when I started this segment, I told you about lawsuits for emotional distress, right, dealing with for the most part, family members and death, Uncle Murray falling out of the bottom of the casket and rolling along in front of everybody. Big big settlements, moms getting seeing their children interviewed, seeing their children injured, Big big settlements.
Speaker 3: And I think is going to.
Speaker 2: Be added to the law school curriculum and cases of.
Speaker 3: Negligent infliction of emotional distress.
Speaker 2: This one hospital saying, yeah, your daughter left, she checked out.
Speaker 3: In fact, she died.
Speaker 2: And by the way, it isn't until a year later the hospital lets the information out she.
Speaker 3: Fell through the cracks.
Speaker 2: So the lawsuit, of course is for intentional or is for emotional distress. Now they're not only asking for compensatory that is the suffering that the family has undergone, which there no one's going to argue that deadn't happen, But they're also asking for punies, punitive damages, saying the hospital was so reckless that it's almost they intended to do this. It was so insanely negligent, that punitive payment should be made gonna happen. But the compensatory, the infliction of emotional distress.
Speaker 3: That's going to fly. Hey Bill on that one.
Speaker 1: If you say they knowingly said that she left when they don't have the paperwork, when it wasn't done properly, you couldn't get punitive damages.
Speaker 2: Yeah you might, but there but you're gonna have to prove. I mean, intent is not.
Speaker 3: Say say we lost her.
Speaker 2: We can't find that's and that's what they're going to say.
Speaker 3: She checked out, right, she fell through the cracks. Someone thought she checked out.
Speaker 2: Maybe the record said we don't know enough about this, but uh, it's I don't think punies are gonna fly. They might, I don't know. In front of a jury, I mean, you never know what's going to happen. This is not going to be a bench trial. First of all, it's going to settle. I mean, there's no way that the hospital is going to defend itself in a lawsuit. I mean, can you imagine what a jury's going to do under these circumstances. By the way, the hospital, when asked for a comment, said, quote, we extend our deepest sympathies to the family during this difficult time.
Speaker 3: We're unable to comment on pending litigation.
Speaker 2: And by the way, that's not them just being obnoxious about it. No lawyer in the world is going to let a client talk about something on a lawsuit on this level. All right, This is kf I Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.