Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: A couple things going on right now. We're going to dip into try to get to both of them. Eight firefighters with the OC Fire Authorities Santiago Haind crew were in an accident last night, a single vehicle rollover accident. Brian Fantasy with the Orange County Fire Authorities giving an update.
Speaker 3: As we stand here today, I think we're all still a bit of shock. As I talked with the cruise last night, it was evident that they are. They're in tough shape right now. We pulled them off the fire line. They're going to get time with family, They're going to get time to visit with other firefighters. They're going to get the time they need. I want to thank the Ventura County and Santa Barbara County fire departments who have moved their hand crews into Orange County to cover for our hand crews that are not in service at this time. We've got a tough road ahead. Many of the injured are going to be hospitalized for quite a while. I can't get into those details. I'll introduce the doctor here and he can share what he can share. As you can imagine, there are limits to what we can say. But having met with, you know, the families last night, visiting the hospitals, you can imagine the pain that they're in and the pain that all of us are in. This is devastating for me personally, devastating for everybody in the fire service.
Speaker 2: Here in Orange County.
Speaker 3: As I did last night, I'd ask everybody to pray for our firefighters, Pray for the families.
Speaker 2: One thing I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: That I experienced regularly is the resilience that this organization shows during these times, During these tragic times.
Speaker 2: Well, yes we're heartbroken, we're.
Speaker 3: Devastated, but there's no doubt in my mind that the crews, the firefighters, are professional staff. Everybody involved are going to rally around each other and we're going to be stronger because of it.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Brian Fantasy from the Orange County Fire Authority about last night's accident, and again eight members of the Santiago hand crew belonging to the Orange County Fire Authority involved in that single rollover accident. You can imagine a large vehicle that was trucking those guys away from the one of the big fires. Of course it's burning. They said that they tried to avoid a ladder in the roadway on the two forty one and eventually rolled that big firefighting apparatus. Eight people injured, one of them had to be airlifted. Now, the other big news event that's going on right now is that the Acting Secret Service Director, Ronald Road Junior, is holding a news conference regarding the assassination attempt from back in July on former President Trump I.
Speaker 4: Used to create those secure environments outdoor of it is.
Speaker 5: That kind of thing.
Speaker 4: So since July thirteenth, we have been securing successfully outdoor events. And what you're seeing is an increased use of assets, increased use of ballistic glass. So we certainly make sure that when we're when they are out there and an outdoor venue, that we are using our protective methodologies to create that safe environment.
Speaker 2: A couple of things that Ronald Rowe had said, again he's the acting director of the Secret Service, was when it comes to that July thirteenth assassination attempt in Butler, Pennsylvania, that they have changed things. They have organizationally changed the way that they do business when it comes to protecting protectees, I guess, and that specifically on that July thirteenth day, that Saturday in Butler, Pennsylvania, there was a lack of communications issues, whether it was radios or just face to face communications. There were issues with the drones that were supposed to be in the air over that campaign rally. And then, and this is probably the most egregious, is a sense of complacency on some of the agents and the other law enforcement groups that were there that led to that assassination attempt, led to that twenty year old guy getting as close as he did with a rifle on that roof overlooking the rally grounds. There are the fairgrounds in by Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: I like and I applaud that this is what the internal review found, I mean, really scathing, and you have to know that that is more powerful maybe than everybody else pointing their fingers. Now they're pointing their fingers at themselves and saying this was on us, grewed up and the accountability is nice. I don't know if you know if the Internal Review Unit is looked down upon, probably it is like in every agency. But still the acknowledgment coming from within that this was an epic failure. Is it goes a long way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's one of those things that sheds light on or shines a bright light on Kimberly Chetle, the former director, that she was the director at the time that this went down, and how unwilling she was, at least at the beginning to take responsibility for it when there were I mean, some of these things that Ronald Road Junior is talking about right now are obvious things, and like you said, it's nice to hear that there's an honesty about it. It's unfortunate because we're talking about protecting the most important people in the world, arguably, and the idea that simple things like human complacency or a lack of face to face communication, or even a technological issue like a drone over an outdoor rally event like that, how those types of things, once they crop up, that's not enough to pull the plug on it. I mean that, I mean we said that where's the drone?
Speaker 1: I mean the little things that a civilian could see were big errors and gaping holes in security were not addressed by the Secret Service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's hard to swallow, but like you said, it's nice to hear that there's an amount of honesty on it. Last night, we've been waiting for Shoheo Tani to reach this fifty to fifty level, and last night in Miami, he started with the fiftieth stolen base of the season right there in the top of the first inning.
Speaker 6: Here they go, Ohtani down a third and he is safe at third base. Stolen base number fifty for Otani, and they are standing at long deep.
Speaker 2: All apart, and that's without even the fiftieth home run yet that didn't come until the sixth inning.
Speaker 1: He is built from the inside out, just different. This is a guy who created a goal matrix when he was fifteen years old. Picture a nine box by nine box graph essentially that just has things for him to focus on. Conditioning, flexibility, stamina, relax lose uneasiness, ball control, attachment to victory. Care for my teammates, cool mind and hot heart. I mean, he just he covers every base. And they say that he is just meticulous, that he is completely detail oriented. A detailed goal setting is kind of like his thing. He drills down on all the little details that will get him to his goals.
Speaker 2: He also doesn't put anyone on a pedestal.
Speaker 1: Of course, there was this famous speech prior to facing the USA in the World Baseball Classic finals, when he gave a speech stop admiring if we put them on a pedestal, we can't beat them, and Team Japan goes on to win the World Baseball Class.
Speaker 2: I mean, the guy is just like you said, built different. This is top of the sixth last night.
Speaker 6: He swings HiT's a trying to laft this bow's back.
Speaker 7: Therela was fifty, the first player in the history of Major League Baseball to have a fifty to fifty season.
Speaker 6: He is incredible.
Speaker 2: Top of seven on a one to two Otani sas one of the air the other way.
Speaker 6: Fucking goes what if a crime player?
Speaker 2: And then top of nine. Now listen, this last one was he was facing a second basement, not a real pitcher.
Speaker 6: Here's the pitch swaying a drive deep right field. He has done it.
Speaker 7: It's the first time Otani in his career has had a.
Speaker 6: Three home run game. Can you believe this? Ten runs batted in for Altani?
Speaker 2: Of course, Tim never there. Joe Davis on the earlier call, it just I means, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Skip Schumacher is the Marlins manager, and I loved what he had to say postgame when asked why they didn't walk Otani, and he said, out of respect for the game, out of respect for the baseball gods. No, that we're going to come right at him. And I loved that because that does bother me. It bothers me the little things as a fan. You know, when pitchers are pulled when they're pitching a perfect game or a no hitter or whatever, does it make sense? And it just still pisses me off, you know, And that would have pissed me off too, a game like that where where they if they tried to walk him. He sat down and done interviews before Otani has done in Japan with the Japanese media, you know. And part of the picture for him is really seeing it before it becomes reality. I mean, this was a guy who saw himself throwing one hundred miles per hour when he was fifteen. He says, that's that's one of the keys. First comes the mind, then you put in the work. So visualizing it and then putting in the work. I mean, he just has so much good advice on just daily improvement stuff that every day he experiments with something new in order to improve. Then he writes down what felt good and what didn't so he'll remember it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had asked, is this the greatest single game performance offensively for a baseball player? And I think it has to be. The only other reference is another Dodger player back when Sean Green hit four home runs twenty plus years ago, he had the single game record with nineteen total bases. But there's never been I think this was a stat that I saw once the RBI became an official statistic back in nineteen twenty. Only one major league player has had, over the course of a career. A career not one game over the course of their career had a single game with ten or more RBIs and a game with six or more hits, and a game with five or more extra base hits and a game with three or more home runs and a game with two plus stolen bases. Nobody had done that in their career until sho Hey Otani did it in one game.
Speaker 1: Gary and hey, hey, I've got a question. What is our flashback Friday years in ninety something?
Speaker 2: Guess who was born in ninety four, who was.
Speaker 1: Born in ninety four?
Speaker 2: Can we just spend eight minutes talking.
Speaker 1: About oh show, Hey Atani, joey Otani, You're right, how funny that I just chose now to ask that question.
Speaker 2: That is a great question. I love it. New report came out, five page summarized report from the US Secret Service. Some of the key conclusions about that July thirteenth assassination attempt against former President Trump that it was communication breakdowns, among other things. They talked about a cascading and wide ranging failings that preceded that shooting in Butler, Pennsylvania. Both local and federal law enforcement are held to task for this, including the simple communication breakdowns between Secret Service, the campaign organizers, rally organizers, and local law enforcement. That we're there to help help the Secret Service secure that area.
Speaker 1: We talked in the last hour about the most surprising new gun owners are US liberals. Kamala Harris talking to Oprah about being a gun owner last night. I have expressed my desire to have a gun, but I am not allowed to have one. My buddy Tom gave me a burna gun as a happy medium, a way to protect myself but not making anybody around me nervous, and I thought it would be interesting to talk to to Berna about the proliferation of these non lethal weapons for protection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Luan Fom is the chief marketing officer for Berna. You can look them up by the way, b y r NA And let's talk Lwan. Let's talk first about the genesis of this Where where does this company come from? Why why put together something as a as detailed as non lethal alternatives to what would be traditional firearms.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, thanks for having me, and uh, you know we're we're just so humbled to be invited on. But the whole genesis of Berna, it really was created by a group of gun owners who have the common sense to understand that one bullet can ruin many lives, not only the person getting shot or hopefully not an innocent bystandard, but the person doing the shooting. Because if it's tamed and overuse of force, you know you are going to face you know, the jail time, potentially jail time you're going to deal you have to deal with courts and from criminal to civil. And if you are incarcerated for an overuse of force, then other lies are and my for my in my instance, my wife, my kids, all of that. So you know, you got to be very mindful that and understand that not every altercation requires lethal means, and wrapping that firearm is essentially what we identify as the nuclear option. So make sure you exhaust all your options before you have to go to that, because if you're going to use a sledge hammer for any instance, you're going to leave a lot of damage in your wake. And the end result is, especially in the re litigious world we live in, the outcome is they're replicable and it's going to change your life forever.
Speaker 1: It gives me confidence knowing that I have this weapon for protection, and I think that when you talk to people who and more and more I'm hearing Berner. I'm just talking to a friend the other day and have you heard of Berner. I'm like, yes, I have one. I just think that it's giving people peace of mind with this the world that we are in right now, and we did it. We were talking about a story in the Wall Street Journal about more and more people arming themselves the world that we live around. It's like, what else is going to is going to be thrown at us? And just having that confidence of knowing you could protect yourself if everything goes to hell.
Speaker 2: It just feels good, yes.
Speaker 5: And you know we do. We have a lot of customers in California, a lot in southern cal just because getting a firearm is very restrictive in your state. But also you know, it's just it's just a big leap for folks, and our product is not only this was it not only designed for gun owners to give them options, but those who are adversify arms to have an option that has formidable stopping power, effective range of sixty feet. One cannister of CO two can fire eighteen rounds and so you have a fighting chance to escape and to de escalate a tense situation if you need to, and you give you a peace of mind.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, we're talking with Lawan Fom, who is a chief marketing officer for the company Berna that produces less lethal launchers. Is the product that they describe. But it looks for all intents and purposes. The handgun versions of them look like small handguns, And I think it's interesting that you point out there's there are sometimes the discussions between gun owners, especially those who have guns. I have a hand I have handguns and the discussion of okay, in the event that something happened at my home and I did have to discharge a weapon at somebody who is doing evil there, Like you said, there's a lot to go, there's a lot of after market, there's a lot of after events, things that can still happen. Whereas in this case, I don't have the background check, I don't have the paperwork that's necessary through the state. It is less than lethal. So whoever I'm you know, aiming at, is going to be able to survive this. And it's a it's a I don't know, more comfortable. Would that be appropriate to say it's a more comfortable way to defend yourself.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Now you bring up a very important point. So the burna you don't need a background check. We can shift directly to your door. It's legal in all fifty states, and it's very easy to shoot. There's no there's no loud recoil as you get with the gun and a jerking sensation, and you don't need your protection to use it. But the most important thing which is required by law enforcement is what you know we call the continuum force protocol. If an officer is in a situation where he has to de escalate or you know, take down an aggressor. He has to use verbal commands, drop your weapon, deploy less lethal, and then the lethal. Then if he or she follows that cadence, they're going to say the careers prevent the city from having to write, you know, checks to victims. But for the homeowner, let's just say, you know, there's someone in my house uninvited. They're intruding in the middle.
Speaker 6: Of the night.
Speaker 5: I say, you know, I would say leave my house, deploy less lethal, and it ends up in my case because I have lethal firearms. If I have to escalate the lethal and end up taking a life, and I end up in court, this is what my lawyer is going to say in my defense, Ladies and gentlemen, the jury. My client had intruders in his home. He verbally commanded to lead them to leave. They did not apply. He deployed less lethal uh some defense. He went His intentions were never to take a life. He went out and bought this burn up launcher less lethal launcher to avoid having to escalate to lethal. Unfortunately, these intruders escalated their attack and he had no choice but to elevate to lethal force to defend himself and his family. And with a you know, argument like that, it's so much stronger than Hey, my client was intoxicate, he happened into your house on accident. He was just you know, he was unarmed and New York client decided to play judge, jury and executioner. And if that is an argument in California, you know you're going to get incarcerated if you even escape the criminal charges. What it lands into civil court where it is not as strict. A third rate ambulance chasing lawyer will remove you of as many accids as he can because once he does it two dillisons and realize that, hey, this person has you know, the wherewithal to really provide me a payday. Trust that they're going to go after you with full force.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, you can check out all of the products burn a b y r NA dot com. Luwan fam again, the chief marketing officer, thanks for that. We appreciate that like this, This option, I think is going to be good for some.
Speaker 1: People, not to mention for nervous hikers as well. My brother is known to take a firearm with him when he goes into the mountains, and this is a better alternative.
Speaker 5: I would say one last thing in parting the difference in legal from a perspective, you're a firearms owner and you pulled that weapon, you have to prove to the police that there was imminent threat, like someone's going to take your life with the burner said, that's a less lethal product. You just have to prove threat. So Gary, we were outside and you were waving your arms at me and yelling at me, I could pull out my burner, laudger and empty my magazine on you because I'm responding to a less legal threat with a less legal response, which, by the way, according to the FBI, ninety percent of all altercations do not require lethal force.
Speaker 1: And I would defend him by firing back at you.
Speaker 5: Garry's the bad guy in this scenario.
Speaker 2: Again, thank you for your time today. We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thanks. Yes, they safe out there everyone.
Speaker 2: Kevin Wang was a senior at Canyon Crest Academy down near San Diego, and he remembered something that bothered him back when he was a business officer for the robotics team. There's a nonprofit foundation for the school. The main fundraising arm called the Canyon Crest Academy Foundation, and he said that it was taken a bunch of money from his robotics team. The foundation kept twenty five percent of every donation that it collected on behalf of the team, and it did that for other student clubs too, and controlled the accounts of some of these school sponsored clubs like the robotics team, and at the end of every fiscal year, it would take somewhere between twenty eight and thirty four percent of the team's actual revenue.
Speaker 1: So he realizes he still has access to the robotics team's financial spread sheets and he starts digging around. Another senior, a classmate helps him out joins the investigation. So they come through public records including Forms nine to ninety annual audited financial Statements, website by laws as well is the robotic team's financial spreadsheets. They interviewed students and coaches at other schools in the district as well, and they have now published a fifteen page report on a website they titled Ravens for Transparency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and among other things, they found the Canyoncast Canyon Crest Academy Foundation charges significantly higher fees for their student clubs from I should say, their student clubs than any other organization in the in the San Dieguito School district.
Speaker 1: By their calculations, that foundation had taken one hundred and fifty thousand of two hundred and forty two thousand in donation and grant revenue that was meant for the robotics team over six years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so where does it go? Well, that's a great question, and they asked it. They found more than six hundred and seventy four thousand dollars of the foundation's expenses, a third of its spending was categorized as something called other program hmmm, and they had to figure out exactly what that money was going to, what the donations to the nonprofit were going to.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: They also found, amazingly the foundation was not reporting its officers' salaries on the financial disclosure documents which would be required, and they hadn't been saying how much their officers were being paid for several years.
Speaker 1: Well, the principle says that this is grossly erroneous and misleading. He even pulled in the kid from class to question him in his office.
Speaker 2: Okay, mm hmm. If listen, if a high school kid can see this, A couple of high school kids can see this and put it together. I mean, we've said this multiple times. If two morons like us can sit around and see things that are wrong with insert name of government, bureaucracy or whatever, shouldn't there shouldn't there be somebody else who's like, yeah, you know what, that is wrong, that's the doesn't seem right. Maybe there should be a foundation that's designed to raise money for kids, that actually gives money to kids and doesn't take it away from them.
Speaker 1: Whenever it's in the best interest of kids, you gotta look a little closer.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.