Speaker 1: Hey, folks, Objectively Dan here and a decad of illustrated cards can't tell you your future, at least in my opinion, but they can tell you a lot about how badly we want answers. See. I think tarot cards work just based on vague language or wishful thinking or somebody who's going to be reading you, not the cards, right, And I think we've shuffled through the cards and have come up empty handed. So call in and give us a prediction that wasn't just a lucky guess, or better yet, give us a live reading or prove that it's real, because the show is starting right now. Hello, folks, welcome back to another episode of Truth Wanted. I am your host, Objectively Dan. This is the live calling show that happens every single week Sundays at two forty five pm Stentral where we talk to people about what they believe and why they believe it. If you'd like to call us, do that now the numbers five one two nine nine four two, or you can call through your computer and ACA don show slash call it. If you've never seen this before, Truth Wanted is a product of the atheist community of Austin, a five o'h one c three nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of atheism, critical thinking, secular humanism, and the separation of religion and government. And folks, we are try streaming today, so big shout out to our viewers on TikTok and YouTube mobile. I know we've been having a little bit of issues with our TikTok today, so if you'd like to try to talk to us, you can request to join and we'll bring you up on stage. Please make sure you are over the age of eighteen before doing so. But in case that's not working for you, you can always try to call through our number that we mentioned earlier and is at the bottom of the screen and we'll we'll get you into the show that way. But folks, every single week on Truth Wanted, we always try to have a special guest. This week is no different. I have the awesome Jay joining me today. Jay, Welcome to Truth Wanted. How's it going great?
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I'm excited to see what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, Me too. We're starting a little bit late today, folks, so sorry, but you know lines are open, so we're ready to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: I know there's somebody that already wants to talk to us about some tarot cards stuff. But it doesn't have to be about tarot cards. It can be about God, it can be about big funny me about aliens. Whatever happens on truth Wanted stays on truth Wanted. You know what I'm saying like this. You know, we do things a little bit differently around here, but Jay, welcome to truth Wanted. You are what did you describe yourself as zero? You said you are a fresh face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a fresh face, fresh face in this community. As far as this side of content creating, I have done content creating before, but it was like poker and things like that and gaming.
Speaker 1: Well, hey wait poker. Now you're gonna show us some tricks on here because we're talking about tarot cards. Maybe there's some sort of connection there.
Speaker 2: I was a pretty decent player, and I will say this, I got better when I stopped being super Still is okay?
Speaker 1: Interesting? That makes sense? You play like online stuff? You were doing content there?
Speaker 2: Yes, I used to stream doing live cash games online and I also played live as well.
Speaker 1: That's dope. Can you still do? Wait? This is totally not on topic for this show at all. But I am just curious now because like all these laws about like a gambling state to state, does that make that more problematic for that kind of content. I'm just curious if you know about any of that, because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is where I'm in my new career now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so okay, so now because you can't do it, oh okay, wow, so now you're like, okay, we got to pivot to atheism. That's in order to make that revenue. It's a good creed. I see how it is. But no, Jay, you you used to be a Christian and you are no longer a Christian, and I want to talk about your story a little bit. Tell me about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, born and raised in the South Texas. Mother father Christians. Father maybe a little less of the showing it, but mother definitely was.
Speaker 1: Was that.
Speaker 2: Luckily for me, uh, seeing people that had it worse. I was only forced to go to church until age about nine. So after that my mother said, hey, if you don't want to go, you don't have to go.
Speaker 1: But okay, definitely what part of Texas if you don't mind me as Houston?
Speaker 3: Houston?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're Houston guys, So you know I'm from Waco, so you know there's there's that uh, you know that makes sense. You know, Houston, Houston and tech everywhere in Texas. There is a similarity in Christian culture. I would say the further you get from the city, the worse it gets, I would say, but it depends depends on where you're at, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, you're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 2: Uh my my wife is from one of those towns you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, yeah, for sure. Yeah, so you're Christian for for you know, that portion of the life. And then we were talking a little bit before the show and you were kind of saying, like you describe your change in percentages. You're like, at this point in the life, I was eighty percent. Then I was about sixty percent. So you know, how do you leave that? Because you know, for most people, they stay the same most of their lives, right or it's the changes they do have is within their religious faith. It's not necessarily out of the religious faith. So what made that change for you?
Speaker 2: Just the fact of being forced because I played basketball and I traveled a lot since I was about ten, so not having to be at home, I was able to be around other people that had beliefs and Mormonism are in other just all other religions. I was able to play basketball and travel the country with those kind of people. So that is like, say, I'm one hundred percent when I'm ten, and then i go travel with a roommate that might be a Muslim, and now that that one hundred percent tonight eight because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, that I never heard.
Speaker 1: Before, right, So yeah, I had a similar experience in that regard, you know, in college. For me, it's like, oh, you meet other people from other backgrounds and turns out not everybody actually views the world the same way you do. And it's like, huh, how does that work? You know, how do you get from one thing to another? It's almost as if everybody has different ideas and maybe your ideas aren't all true. Something to think about, right, Funny how that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just never you don't know that and until you're you go around other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. I like that your story in corporate like you were traveling for basketball, which is awesome because it's like, yeah, that's that's the way to do it. I've I've heard about people, you know, meeting other people and maybe traveling. You're maybe the first story I've heard where Yeah, it's because basketball. You can you can distribute to a sport.
Speaker 3: That Yeah, I would. I would have been at home if it wasn't for basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's crazy, that's awesome. You'd be you'd be going to church, uh this Sunday right now?
Speaker 3: Well even even during that, let's to be fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a devout Christian, kind of apologetic person. I would say I did the same thing that I'm doing now, I just did it the other way. So I was the weird basketball player that used to preach to my teammates and tell them to be saved and show them how to be saved.
Speaker 3: And that's how a lot of these conversations stated for me.
Speaker 1: They've had a couple of those guys in the NBA. I think, you know that's Hey, that's kind of a problem. Actually, I'm trying to think of the guy that got in trouble for that recently. I can't remember his name.
Speaker 3: But I don't follow it as much as I used to.
Speaker 1: I'm not. Yeah, that makes sense, but you know I could see how Yeah, of course, right, broadening your horizons, you're meeting other people you're maybe not as into it anymore, but you you had invested into a relationship at that point as well. Right, you said you were married and you had a family at that point, So what was that situation like for you?
Speaker 2: So that would be my ex wife now, but uh, and we're real good friends. But she we were both definitely devout Christians at that time, had our first son and planned to raise him in a Christian environment as well. Uh, you know, things happened after that, but yeah, we we thought we were going to raise them the same as we were raised and turns out different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, so, uh there's some people that made that and you know, I you know, you need to tell you about your whole family history there, right. But was was was faith a part of the reason why your relationship was it working? Or was that just like kind of one of some other things?
Speaker 3: Good question. I think it was more of why we stayed together. Uh we weren't. We weren't together that long.
Speaker 2: But we probably just shouldn't even have stayed together in the first place.
Speaker 3: Uh. But and and I'm okay with saying that now.
Speaker 2: Because we're we're really cool, sure, but just the process are sorry the environ meant we were brought up in was you stay together. So were we found out she was pregnant and you're together, you know, and that's that's kind of how that relationship started.
Speaker 1: Well that's one reason why I asked, because I definitely grew up in a Christian environment where you know, divorce is a last resort thing and it's it's always used as a tragedy, whereas now I view it as a good thing for the most part, right, because you want you're you're leaving something that you shouldn't be a part of. Right, But you know, it's it's a tragedy, it's something you should avoid, it's something you should never do, and that you need to stick with somebody for life. So you know, uh, it used to for me divorce was always like oh my god, it's it's something you said behind closed doors. And I don't know if it's just because I'm the person I am now or if there is a change in the culture or maybe both. But now I hear like, oh, yeah, you get divorce. It's like, yeah, that's like that's most of my friend's parents you know at this point, right, Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And I have the same same exact a story. I think a lot of us have this story if you grew up in that. Yeah, and it's just the the outcome of the traditions and what you're taught.
Speaker 3: And and like I.
Speaker 2: Said, I take pride in the fact that we are really good friends now and we would not have been good if we just forced each other to stay with each other. And I don't know, I think that's that's something. Yeah, there's always we always say there's proof one way, but what about the proof the other way?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's something you uh, you describe yourself as an apologist earlier, which is kind of curious and now yeah, and then and then now you're you know, so it's one thing to kind of deconstruct these ideas and then say you're an atheist now and move on with your life. And it's another thing to start making content about it, like on the internet. So, like, what was the reason for you that you're like I need to talk about this, you know from a content creation perspective.
Speaker 2: Sure, I would say it's the same motivation that I had as far as when I was preaching Jesus. I just want to show people and give them reasons why to be kind to each other. And all I had to fall back on during that time was Jesus.
Speaker 3: So that's what I preached to people.
Speaker 2: And then during those preachings, I was confronted by other religions, so I had to come with answers, and it made me go search deeper for answers and I found them, and it led me another way after I found them.
Speaker 1: Yeah that makes sense. Yeah, short and sweet and simple. I like it, right, very simple? Does that be super complicated? I feel like I like how simple that way you just put it is because in my mind sometimes I go back on my story and I'm like, oh my gosh, I have this moment, and then I had this moment and then I had this reason. But like for the truth is for a lot of us that kind of deconstruct it can sometimes just be like one or two or three reasons that kind of make the whole thing sort of fall apart in a way, right, And when you're talking about other people's experiences, I think for me it was something similar. It's like, Okay, if a person can be a Muslim and can grow up and can be devout in this faith, why why does that happen? Why does that incurve. That's kind of a weird idea if you think about it from a Christian perspective, from God that's supposedly wanting to affect everybody's lives in the world. Why do we have Aborigines that never heard of Jesus until somebody told them, right? Why do we have groups of people that are very devout and are very to their faith and from their perspective, is one hundred percent true, But it would be the exact opposite of what my religion would say. You know, again talking about Muslims in particular, but you know that makes up over a billion people in the world. That's not a small amount. We're not talking about some guy off the street. We're talking about a history and a culture of people. And I think the actual existence of multiple religions kind of kind of deconstructs Christianity in of itself, which is it's kind of fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And what got me is that same thing, like I said, being forced at a very young age, and I was good enough in basketball to be forced to go play with older men. So I got to see it at twelve years old talking to like sixteen and seventeen year olds really challenging me on my beliefs, so they were like, you're you know. They would call me names and tell me how stupid I was for believing in these things, and it made me go search for it. And seeing that somebody believed something just as devout as I did. It was an eye opener for me because how can I say they're wrong?
Speaker 1: So you're saying bullying helped you, so in order to convert people, we need to start bullying. Though I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 2: If you watch my content, people say I'm a little too nice, but it is because I just know what it was like to really believe this stuff and really think that it was true and wonder why the other person couldn't see it.
Speaker 1: Well, you're you're a good Southern boy, Jay, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right right.
Speaker 1: I think that too. I think I've had, you know, if I looked at my online experience and the comments that I've gotten the most, I think I've also probably gotten that response to of like you're you're too nice to people, which I feel like and recently hasn't been in this fit, I feel like I'm not as nice like this. If you had to look at last year versus all my other years, I'm probably been the meanest, but I maybe it's because I'm more jaded, but I I do kind of share that same perspective where it's like, you know, it's like catching flies with honey rather than anything else, Right, It's like you can show that, you know. My idea of being atheist was you're an old, bitter, jaded person, right, And I don't want that to be the case. I think that you can be a good person. I think that you can be a very good person actually without that, and that you can be normal, and that you can talk to people about these ideas without getting too crazy about it and just showing that off that I exist. I think knowing that that's kind of a person that's out there would have changed the way I've thought of things a long time ago. So I don't know that's just my perspective on it, but no.
Speaker 3: It's ae hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I go back into my life all the time, and I realized this may be, like a couple of weeks ago, that one of my best friends was aist atheist, and I had no clue when I When I go back and think about his parents and everything, yeah. Really, but when you're in it, you think everybody's religious. I really did.
Speaker 1: It's for everyone. Was You're so right, You're so right. You really do think that everybody thinks the same way you do, which is not correct. But yeah, for sure. Today's topic, Jay, we we opened this talking about tarot cards, and uh, you know again we don't have to talk to callers about tarot cards, but I am curious. Did you have any experience with that kind of stuff, spiritualism, that kind of thing, or is that kind of always a taboo sort of forbidden thing for you.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm one of the Christians when I was a Christian where I would try everything. So I was the guy that was like, hey, if this is true, I want to know. So I definitely have tried anything as far as horoscopes. I haven't necessarily worked with tarot cards because I don't know how to do that, okay, but I've had family members that still believe in these kind of things and you can predict your future and see you if you're on the right path. So I'm the type of guy like, hey, my wife's creole, so they are kind of superstitious in a way.
Speaker 3: So it's just like, hey, if you can prove it, show me sure.
Speaker 2: I've never been scared of any of this, so I'm excited if somebody comes in here and does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like.
Speaker 1: To know if we can know more things about those kinds of readings. It's funny that the topic is is that this morning, because this week I actually read a really interesting post on Reddit about somebody asking about tarot cards and they were kind of like, well, what's the deal with tarot cards or or any of you guys out there practicing this stuff and don't believe it? Which I thought was an interesting question, And the top comment was somebody saying like, yeah, I have a friend who who uses it as a kind of therapy, and they kind of describe it like this. They're like, you know, you're just kind of having a conversation with somebody and you're kind of presenting these ideas, and you're letting people kind to their own conclusions about these ideas. Like if you show somebody the death card and that brings up some ideas for them, you're kind of like letting them get a chance to talk about something that maybe is on their mind or maybe is being reflected in the cards. And you're not actually telling the future. You're not telling them anything that you know is super natural, and it's supernatural in a sense, right, It's more just like, here's a way to kind of bring up ideas that you may subconsciously be thinking about in sort of a healthy, more productive environment. I thought that was really fascinating because I hadn't really considered that perspective too much before. Like I knew that people that did something similar where it's like, oh, it's just kind of a topic of conversation, but I never thought about taro cards as like a therapy tool, which is kind of interesting. Have you heard about this idea?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can get it. And to me, it's the same thing as sports in a way where it's just like, as human beings, we're such weird animals that we need these kind of things to just pacify us. So, you know, if you need that feeling of not being afraid of the future, you'll find things like tarot cards, or you'll look into astrology and you'll look at something that can tell you you'll be okay tomorrow. And I think that's just part of our processes that we do. For me as an athlete, it was more of, I would say, being afraid of being beaten. So it's like I'm gonna beat you first, and I'm gonna practice to beat you first. So all of these things I think are just ways of pacifying that fear that.
Speaker 3: We have of the unknown.
Speaker 1: Oooh yeah, oh that's interesting, sort of a coping almost right. So like your master over sports gives you, it's sort of like, well, I can master this, so I don't have to fear it. I can control it. That's kind of what you're saying there, And so you think tarot cards are kind of the same way, where it's like, oh, if we can we can sort of master this these ideas, then we don't have to be afraid of not being able to control what's happening there. Exactly right, You're right on, spot on, that's what I think. Well, that's the case I don't like, Like, I don't know. The only times I really have big problems with this stuff is again it's like when people claim they can do things that they can't really do.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's like the future stuff, you know, it's the oh, I can talk to people who are who are living anymore, or get some sort of insight from beyond, you know, like I'm I'm totally cool with somebody who wants to say I'm using this as sort of like a tool for self reflection. But whenever, like the other stuff gets involved, and then like money gets involved, I just I have to sort of squip my eyes a little bit because this kind of stuff is a billion dollar industry. You know, there's all kinds of people that make money on this kind of stuff. And and definitely do go that far and say, yes, I can predict your future. I can do these things for you, and I can give you I can make you a better husband, I can make you better wife, I can make you a better person in your career. And at what point do you have to say we shouldn't we shouldn't be cool with this, right, like we would say something about it. I don't know. I don't know where that line is, but it there there there. It does give me pause, right, does give me pause.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of those things I like to use the Abraham Lincoln quote.
Speaker 3: If this isn't bad or evil, nothing is kind.
Speaker 2: You kind of just know when something is not right, and if you wouldn't want it done to.
Speaker 3: Your most likely people don't want to be tricked.
Speaker 2: I then that's why my channel I promote the honesty portion of Everything's just like, I don't really care what you believe, but let's be honest about it. Yeah, and that way we can talk about it in the realist way that we can.
Speaker 3: So somebody's doing.
Speaker 2: Tarot cards, just tell people that this isn't real, like you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or just be honest if you're honest about what the tool is, like, it's a tool for self reflection. I genuinely have no problem with that. You know, how could I? Who cares life short? But yeah, I don't know the money and the everything else that gets involved, that's when it gets shady. But hey, speaking of being honest with people, you want to get honest with some people right now and talk to some callers.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do it. So, first person, we're to talk to h We're talking to a Ben who's calling in from Canada. Ben was calling before the show and was patiently waiting while we were having our technical difficulties. Thank you Ben for that. You're live untruth wanted what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm pretty good. So the reason I wanted to talk to you guys, because I had kind of like an idea about how maybe tearot cards works in the world relating to like the way we probably process emotions and scientific knowledge. So I was kind of thinking that, well, you know, emotions could actually precede the thoughts that we have around scientific scientific knowledge, and in a way, we could view our thoughts and ideas as illusions to our emotions, because like, what we could potentially be doing is just trying to figure out what emotions are beneficial and what are dement detrimental, and figuring out what thoughts would capitalize on the plausative emotions and what thoughts would capitalize on the negative emotions, and then try to operate in the world in a way to intigate anything that might contradict those So that's why I believe we could be creating these illusions in our minds around thoughts and scientific ideas, and that those things actually don't exist, that what we actually exist is just our emotions and how we are just trying to go towards the positive ones and stay away from the negative ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're talking about some complicated ideas here. I want to try to parse this out for a second, So from what I'm understanding, it sounds like you're saying these tarot cards gives us insight into our emotions, and our emotions affect other things in our lives, including and you mentioned scientific knowledge and our thoughts you're talking about, and so if we have a better understanding of our emotions, we may have a better understanding of our thoughts and scientific knowledge. Is that Is that a good summary?
Speaker 4: That's a good way to view it, because okay, things that.
Speaker 1: We yeah, but oh well, so I appreciate that, because this is a very weird idea to me. I'm very curious about this. How do we, like, how does our emotions link with like scientific knowledge, for example, what's the connection there? Because I don't really see a connection to that.
Speaker 4: So I would I would. I would say that the the emotion that we we put onto those into the scientific realm is the emotion of oh this makes sense. That's what we're actually getting from the scientific endeavor, that emotion that oh, yeah, this makes sense, but it's not real like those numbers that like one plus one equals two, that's not actually real. What's real is the emotion that says, oh this is this makes sense? Because you could look at a tarot card and then you could say you could potentially look and say that this also makes sense. Like your dreaming, is.
Speaker 3: That an emotion making senses and emotion to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious about.
Speaker 4: That too, because when I dream sometimes really dumb things, I get the same emotion as if I'm living in this domain and I see one plus one as two. But in my dream, I will experience something really dumb, but I will get that emotion of this makes sense just as much as one plus one equals two.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm curious about your thesis here, because your thesis is saying like scientific knowledge is ultimately like its purpose is for like emotional sort of fulfillment, which I think that's a week That's a very interesting idea because I think we get scientific knowledge for other things other than like emotional satisfaction, right, Like we get science knowledge not just for understanding, but also so that we can build things, so that we can help people. I mean, understanding is a great part of that, but like, I think it's more than just understanding. I think it's it's so that we can do I don't know, scientific knowledge has a lot of utility.
Speaker 4: That's also that's also why I say it could be an illusion. So that's like a brainwashing illusion, so that we brainwash ourselves into thinking that's the only thing that's important, that we should only think that scientific things are important, so that we can be manipulated through that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, we're kind of good. We're kind of going into some weird territory here. I don't know anybody that's saying scientific knowledge is the only thing. I mean, Okay, actually, let me let me back up. There is a movement of scientism, right, and there is this idea that scientific knowledge is sort of the most ultimate knowledge, right. And these are the kinds of people that say, you know, philosophy, other kinds of studies, you know, all that's bunk. If it's not material, if it's not something we can know out in the world, then it's not real. Right. So that is a school of thought. But I would say that's not a common or popular school of thought. I don't I don't know anybody that's saying, yeah, we need to only look at scientific knowledge so that we can I don't know, control people or whatever. I'm not sure. You're kind of losing me a little bit. Ben, Yeah, it is weird.
Speaker 4: I absolutely agree. That's why it's just something a It's something like a theoretical like idea, you know, like something that like like like a weird idea that I got recently that I was like exploring. But I was thinking, yeah, that could because then you could actually argue, well, maybe magic exists, that we're living in this magical world. Like how a magician is like actually showing you magic, but then afterwards you're trying to understand the magic that happened. But because your mind is so close into thinking that magic doesn't exist, he has to create, yate the magic to that you would understand. That is the magic of like correlation one plus one equals two.
Speaker 3: And so ask you what you mean by magic?
Speaker 1: What do you mean by magic?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, magic like things that are actually bending the laws of the universe that are not what we can see as real.
Speaker 2: So if a magician does something in its magic and we we know that it's not real, is that still magic?
Speaker 4: If we know it's not real, then it's not magic. But that's because our brain is wired to think that it is not real in the first place.
Speaker 2: But isn't that like I'm trying to tie into your emotions that you you said something about emotions, So I'm trying to show you the emotion that comes out of magic, which is that sense of like awe and wonder. Right, So, even if we know the magician is faking some thing, there's this sense of awe and wonder, and that's the emotion that you're talking about, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like for example, the first time you experienced magic, you would think, oh, how did they do that? Magic could be real? And then yeah, the magician then turns towards you to tell you that, oh, this was done in this way. Maybe they're trying to gate keep magic away from the public and then telling everyone, look, this is magic. Is actually this like this one plus one equals too, so they create a way of making magic look like it's fake.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought you were you're with me for a second, because you were just talking like both of me, and you would talk where you said the magician would show you and then tell you that it wasn't magic. And then you came up and added something to me where you said, now it's a conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Why why why now is a conspiracy?
Speaker 4: Well, I was just using it as an example to say that, Well, like our idea of magic is when we first see magic, like a magician show us magic is like potentially real, But then the world could be you know, trying to like show us something that we would understand that is not magic.
Speaker 2: So when you're when you're when you're like a child, and you see an adult do something that you can't do, it seems pretty awesome, right, Yeah, So, uh do you think there's a conspiracy from adults like they want to teach their kids things?
Speaker 3: Right, So it's just why are we bringing up the conspiracy thing?
Speaker 1: To me?
Speaker 2: I think we can look at this thing and in a like a logical state, like you brought up that somebody can do magic and they can trick you, and if they tell you it's correct, what's they just told you that? I'm sorry, if they tell you that it was a magic trick, it doesn't make it not magic. That's just the feeling that you're talking about, Like, it's this feeling you're talking about. So I'm with you on there. These things give us feelings and it makes things feel like what they aren't necessarily are, and it doesn't take away from that. To me, Like if I see a magician do something that I can't explain the same feeling is amazing to me.
Speaker 3: I just don't have to believe that he literally is a wizard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we know, we know that it's a conspiracy. It's not a conspiracy when a magician does it, because you know, we've lived through that. But when we first experienced it, we got that sense that it could be real. And then I'm just correlating that to well, imagine that in the real world, that what we believe as like one plus one ecles two is an illusion to what is really really going on behind the scenes, where we're just communicating through emotions and we're not actually, yeah, well we could be communicating just through emotions, not just through scientificure.
Speaker 1: You're always kind of saying that the scientific knowledge is sort of a false sort of nosis, that it's it's it's a fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's something either lying going on.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, so you might Jay, you might be like totally lost here. I'm actually kind of I'm really interested in what Ben is saying here because like, on the one hand, I'm like with him, and then he completely jumps to this other thing here, and I'm reminded by there's this Christian philosopher I used to really like ben Maybe you've heard of him. His name is Peter Rollins. When I was a Christian, he was fascinating to me. He's this Irish Christian philosopher. He has this idea. He uses this metaphor of a magician kind of and you know, I think that's where the connection comes in. And this metaphor is like this. You know, you're at a show and a magician sort of has he's in the middle of doing a trick, and you know that this is all a trick. You know that you're there for the show and you're there for the entertainment, but there is a moment where you don't know what's going on and and and it looks like magic. And the best explanation for in that moment in that time, even though it's all sort of an illusion, is magic there. And there is something about sort of the human experience that's kind of I guess drawn to that in a way. And I'm seeing that these connections here. You're kind of drawing this idea that we're using science as sort of an explanation, but maybe we're actually missing something that could be greater in the same way that if you're in a magic show, you're using magic as the explanation when it could be something even greater. So you're so you're sort of your concern is that maybe scientific explanation isn't the best or most total explanation we can have for things. Rather it might be something that's more emotionally fulfilling. Is that kind of what you're going getting at here? Or am I off base? You tell me.
Speaker 4: Emotions? Emotions could be more fulfilling.
Speaker 1: You have a great concern about people's emotions. You're seem to be concerned about that. We're not actually we don't actually know anything. We're just sort of emotionally satisfying each other with explanations. That seems to be a concern, right, That's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, That's what I was about to say, is that, like what I hear, at least from the scientific community is that what we see is not actually like what is there. It's just a representation, like a smaller diminished representation of what's actually there, because our brains are too small to process things that are actually there. So we I don't know the right word, but we summarize what's actually really going on. So that our brains can move on with what's going on in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like in a way.
Speaker 4: What's actually truer is what we're experiencing internally than what we see externally, because we have more grasp of what's going on inside than what's going out in the outside. And so like if we're communicating like in a positive way, let's say, and then like the world can communicate like to us, like for example, through Tarot cards in a way that we can understand, but that we cannot understand through the real world. So like the Tarot cards can give us like a summary summary version of what we need to know to live, to continue world living through the world in a way that we can understand.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get what you're putting down, And we got to wrap things up in just the Baker because we do have other callers, Ben, But what do you think about this idea? Because I think Jay and I are kind of under the presumption that terrort cards actually aren't telling us anything we don't already know, right, So in other words, it's not actually telling us things that exist out in the world. It's just giving us better insight on ourselves. It's sort of a kind of like looking at a mirror. It's sort of like giving us a way to sort of reflect on things that we already know. Other words, No, nothing new in that sense, but maybe a reframing or a new perspective. I mean, I think Jay's nodding his head, so I think, you know, we're kind of the opinion that this is really what happens when we're looking at tarot cards. We're just kind of reflecting on ourselves, right. What do you think of that explanation.
Speaker 4: I think it's that's part of it. It's it can also be bigger than that, in the sense that, like everything is kind of related in the universe, like there is a cause and effect, and we don't know how what happened before to get us to the point where the molecules and the atoms in the deck of cards led to the moment where we're reading them right now. And that's something that's external that could be communicating through us into the terrort cards and then through us to communicate something important about the universe that we don't understand. So that's potentially something there. I think it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Why do we need to assume the universe is communicating something to us. Why does that make the best explanation.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm thinking cause and effect, Like, well, if everything was random, everything would be destroyed in a way because everything would lead to chaos and self destruction. I don't see like random leading to.
Speaker 1: Well, key thing here, Ben, we're not saying that when you're looking at tarot cards your reflections are random, right, because it is based on your own life experience, It is based on your own perspective. So that's not necessarily random, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you are like your initiator, So you're not just right, you're yeah, if you're someone that's creating things to be different than the randomness in the in the world.
Speaker 2: Right, So I thank you said that that extra you're talking about, the extra you asked for.
Speaker 1: You just said what the extra is?
Speaker 3: Like, you gave me. You gave me an.
Speaker 2: Actual, physically in place thing you can present to me as evidence.
Speaker 1: You just said it. That's the extra.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. I can even think that, Yes, Haret Krges could help to realign what you actually do believe and help you do that is to like solidify your own beliefs, so that yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, yeah, I think that's our opinion on it. But man, as much as I'd love to talk to you more about this, we do have some other callers that want to talk to us, so I want to give them a chance to you. I enjoyed this conversation. Thanks so much for calling. I hope you call again sometime. Thank you, Beddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no problems, Thanks, good show.
Speaker 1: There you go. That was been from Canada. Wow, a lot of things happening there. I was thought, I you know, there was a minute there where I was like, where are we going with this?
Speaker 2: But it came back around I think right. I think at the end he answered his own question. That's what I love to see you literally answered his own question.
Speaker 1: Well, like, I'm glad that we were patient with that, and we we took that as seriously as we could because there's some genuine lines of thought there. It wasn't at first. I was just like, is this all just kind of just kind of just babbel nonsense? But no, I think there's some real connections there. It's just not very it's it's a very lateral sort of thought process, not super linear in that sense. But I was thinking down, yeah, put down, like you know, a lot of people have this sense of skepticism towards how we know the world because a lot of how we know the world is through institutions, Right, Like I know that the sun causes cancer. I didn't do any tests for that, right, I didn't do the work for that. I know that because somebody told me that, or I read somebody who reported that somebody told them that in a paper somewhere, right. And it's like, our knowledge is so fragmented, it's so it's not gained through personal experience, and so some people are very skeptical of those systems. And I think that's kind of what Ben's talking about. He's like, Hey, we have we understand that, we think we know things through science, but maybe that's more in emotional fulfillment. Maybe that's more speaking to our comfort in the world than anything else, which that's an interesting premise, and postmodern thinkers, I think, think about that. So you know, it wasn't nothing, That's what I'm trying to say. There's something to that anyway. I agree. That's my thoughts. Hey, yeah, anything else before we move on, just to.
Speaker 2: Pick abag on what you said, it's it's definitely just ingrained in us and throughout history. We can go back and if we have evidence, there's always been us doing exactly what he's saying, whether that's tarot cards, whether that's writing in the sand, whether that's painting on the wall. We've literally always been doing these things. Yeah, and it's just been a reflection of us.
Speaker 1: True. Yeah, true, that's a good insight. True. Before we get to our next caller, I have to really quickly, really quickly tell you, Hey, if you like the show, please like, subscribe, check out our merch We've got it tight out cc slash mercy cya. If you want to see the hoodies, the t shirts, et cetera. All the fun stuff is on there. If you want to hear our content and audio only for you can go tiny out cc slash am podcast for all the latest ACA shows. And of course, another way to support us is through our super Chance And if we get some super chests today, we will read them out loud as long as they are YouTube appropriate. So thank you to those who donates through our super Chance. And last but not least, I need to think the wonderful, awesome, amazing soup end is fantastic crew that helped make this show happen every single week. There's our crew cam and they're awesome. And you know what I didn't do Patron of the Week, guys, I missed patre of the Week, Greg just Head. I know I usually never forget Patron of the Week. I'm usually very good at it, but I feel like recently I've I've been faltering. It's not good. So crew, can we get that patron of the week going here? In just the second? Can we can we talk about this week's patron of the week. Okay, this week's Patron of the week is going to be drum roll please at the da da Ka Leevy Helvetti. Thank you so much, hell Vetti for being our patron of the week. And if you wanted to join us on patroon you can go at ac dot show slash Patreon tw and that kind of tells the ACA Hey, truth Wanted is kind of awesome and it's the show worth supporting. So thank you to everybody that donates on there. You guys are all amazing for that. And with that out of the way, let's move on, shall we. Let's go to our next caller. This is Justin who is talking to us from New Jersey. I think this is gonna be really interesting, justin you are live on truth wanted what's going on?
Speaker 5: Hi Dan, Hi Jake.
Speaker 6: Long time I mean longtime listener of ACA content, big fan. I never worked up the nerve to actually call into one of the shows until I got to push notification that you were discussing this topic, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, this is the day.
Speaker 5: It's nice I had.
Speaker 7: Said, Yeah, I really had to. You know, it's kind of a bit.
Speaker 5: Of a venting session.
Speaker 6: So my story is as follows. You know, my wife and I we've been married for about twelve years again thirteen and throughout all that time, I always knew that she was into tarow like.
Speaker 5: She had cards.
Speaker 6: I always think she had cards and her friends would play with the cards whenever she had her girlfriends over and all that, and you know, it was never something I had an issue with. I always kind of took it as like, oh, you know, something they do for funning games, and I left it at that. Then about three years ago, she ended up getting diagnosed with stage one breast cancer. And yeah, and she went through the chemo, the radiation, she did the surgery, and she came through it.
Speaker 5: You know, she beat it.
Speaker 6: She rang the bell all that and over time after throughout that time, mind you, she had other relatives while she was going through treatment and after her treatment that had passed away, and some of them even from cancer, and it was taking a heavy toll on her. And after her treatments were complete and she beat it, I think she was kind of dealing with some survivor's guilt that maybe she wasn't handling in the healthiest manner. And unbeknownst to me, I found out that she was spending a lot of money on a psychic website, getting Psyched Greetings. I found this out because I found this out because I was actually going into our we have joint credit cards, and I looked into one of the statements and I'm like, why is this always so much? Because I never thought to like distrust her with credit cards, because you know, she was always more of the kind of sane, stable one who was able to keep track of the bills.
Speaker 5: I'm terrible of that.
Speaker 6: But you know, I decided to do some deep diving, and I'm seeing all these charges one after the other after the other after the other for a psychic website, and you know, ranging from anywhere form from like fifteen dollars to upwards of one hundred and fifty dollars a hit and the span of the throughout the span of a year, she spent a little over four thousand dollars on psychic meetings and sorry how much you know how a little over four thousand, I would say, about.
Speaker 5: Five hundred dollars yes, wow, wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so needless to say, I was not a happy man, you know we I confronted her on it and obviously turned into a big argument. Come to find out, there were even more charges. Because we have joint bank accounts. I went to her bank account. I found even more charges, another fifteen hundred dollars worth of charges for this website. And I also found out that she spent about three thousand dollars to take a course from a quote spirit mentor unquote.
Speaker 5: Who you know.
Speaker 7: She calls him her.
Speaker 6: Spirit mentor because she is learning how to be a reader. She even goes onto WhatsApp with other people and she practiced reads to try to learn how to read people. She believes very much that she can communicate and see and talk to the dead. One of the biggest one of the one of the biggest arguments we got into was I had actually lost my dad a little over nine months ago to cancer, and I appreciate that, but uh yeah, So at one point, you know, I was just, you know, it was hitting me particularly hard that day, and I was very emotional and she was there trying to comfort me, and she goes, you know, at one point, she says to me, you know, you know, I still see him and I still talk to him, and he talks to me, and I just what I talked.
Speaker 1: About your dad. She was saying, you talk to your dad.
Speaker 5: Yes, So yeah, I mean I didn't mind you.
Speaker 6: Like I said, We've been together for thirteen years. She knows I'm a militant atheist, you know. You know, we got into arguments over the validity.
Speaker 5: Of what she believes, and she actually.
Speaker 6: You know, actually said that to me, and I'm like, you know, don't you ever bring my dad like that up ever again, ever, ever again. And that turned into another big argument. So basically right now, right now, I mean, she doesn't spend a lot of money on it anymore, but every now and then there'll be some kind of YouTube seminar or something where she'll spend forty dollars a year, fifty dollars there. And it's frustrating because for me, A little background on me, so I was I was raised in a fundamental Christian cult by my mom, So you know, I kind of know the cult tactics like I can I can.
Speaker 1: See it for sure, yes, yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know, and it was the same thing with my mother. You know, they they got her when she was in.
Speaker 5: A vulnerable state. That's what all these people do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's going to ask us, so was the reason why you brought up the story about the cancer? Was it be because that wasn't super clear to me as you were telling it. Was it because she was like struggling with the cancer that she got into the psychic stuff? Is that Is that the connection there?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, you know, and uh, it was just it's been I tried to give her space to believe what she wants to believe, but it's you know, there there there are some days where you know, I still think about all that money spent and it makes me mad, not even so much med at her, it makes me mad at this so called spirit mentor that that went to and gave like three thousand dollars too, because I'm you know, I take it personally. I take it as a personal attack on my family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, well I was like, it's sorry justin interrupt you. But it also I was like, I mean, she hid this from you, right, So she didn't think you were going to approve of this, right, and you had to find out the hard way, right.
Speaker 6: So, And that was her reasoning. That was her reasoning for for telling me why she didn't. She said, I didn't tell you because I knew you wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Understand and you wouldn't get it.
Speaker 1: Right, right.
Speaker 3: That was more what I was focusing on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was the fact that she didn't tell you, because I was going to ask you, would you have cared if you guys both knew it was not real and.
Speaker 1: She still spent the same money.
Speaker 2: That would have been my question to you, like he knew about it, not if you knew about it, but actually no, if you knew about it, you have cared.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would have cared about the money being spent. Like I said, if she wants to believe in that kind of thing, you know, I would give her space to do that.
Speaker 5: But you know, I mean spending.
Speaker 6: That kind of money when you know, we got a ten year old son going into middle school with some member. You know, we need clothes and uh, you know we got bills obviously to pay.
Speaker 5: And you know, here you are here, here, you are right.
Speaker 6: Under my nose, like spending all this money on this, on psychic mediums and a spirit mentor.
Speaker 1: And yeah, what does she think? Can I ask you this? What does she think the what does she think she did? What? What did this do for her? For in terms of the cancer thing? Like does she attribute this sort of spiritualist stuff to helping her get better? Yes?
Speaker 6: So it also it's also her way of I think coping with loss. I think that's also a big part of it. Like I said, like she had relatives who died. She said that there was one relative in particular that she attributed her spiritual awakening to, because she told me in one of our arguments that her spiritual awakening came when she had a sense that one of her relatives back home in the Dominican Republic was going to die. And sure enough, I think a day or two later, she died. And I'm like, okay, well.
Speaker 5: How old was she? And she goes ninety six?
Speaker 7: Oh my gee, you know, well what.
Speaker 1: A surprise, right, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: But and that's the thing, like, and again.
Speaker 6: It's just I don't think it's because she's unintelligent. I just think it's because she was in a very you.
Speaker 7: Know, she suffered trauma, she suffered us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know that's what these people, that's what these people do, like yore, she was just a sitting sitting duck for for for the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's oh, go ahead, please please finish your thoughts, you know.
Speaker 6: And uh, me, being the militant atheist I am, I kind of I wanted to kind of keep showing her that what that it was all fake, you know, showing her trying to show her James Randy clips and not realizing and not remembering that back when I was a kid, whenever somebody tried to tell my mother, someone in my family that what she was believing was nonsense, she would dig her heels in more and just keep doubling down on it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: But but I was so angry at the time and so frustrated that I just I couldn't help but want to really try to like drive.
Speaker 5: This point home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, yeah, and yeah, it was just it was uh, you know, and it's still sometimes sometimes will be arguing, maybe about something else, and then it will come up again and oh yeah, well remember this time you spend fourth out, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, man, I almost want to bring our backup host beard of empathy, honest beards, a therapist, right, like I, I like I, you know, I don't want to give you marriage advice, right because, like I, you've been married longer than I have, justin okay, So, but but I will give you some perspective, okay, because I've I've been in a relationship where I was the atheist and the other person wasn't. And it was actually when I was even doing this Colling Show stuff, they were still supportive of it. But they were they described themselves as Christian. They were the probably the loosest Christian you ever met, but a Christian nonethe last okay.
Speaker 3: So, and.
Speaker 1: You know, and there was always way to be some of those disagreements there because you have a different perspective, in a different worldview, right. But like, what is important at the end of the day, I think first and foremost is your commitment to one another, right, and part of your commitment to one another is being honest about what you're doing with the finances and stuff, right, Like, that's just that wasn't wrong because she she spent money on a psychic and the psyche stuff wasn't real. That was wrong because she went behind your back and did it and didn't talk to you about it, and and because she was worried about what you'd say about it. You know, maybe there's obviously a conversation we had there about like, well, what does that trust look like between the two of you? Right? And if she's going to be exploring that kind of stuff now, you know, I don't know if there's going to be a correct answer to this. Maybe Beard would agree, Maybe be Bearer's over here like, yeah, you know, the absolutely you should be doing X, Y and Z. But from my perspective, right, it's can you have a trust with this person about the decisions you're going to do? Because ultimately she sounds like she's good, she's made up her mind, she's going to make, you know, these kinds of decisions. So what what is that going to look like for your relationship going forward? Are you going to be okay with that? Because you need to be okay with the idea that she's going to believe this stuff and she's not going to change on that. And if that idea rubs you wrong, that might that you might need to reconsider what your relationship is because you can't force somebody to think the way you do about this stuff. You just can't. At the end of the day, as much as I want to make everybody in my life a non believer, I would rather than have that conclusion themselves rather than me saying they have to be this way, because that's just not how people are, right. You can't you can't force me for that. So I don't know that that's neat. That's a lot of words for me, justin I don't know what you think about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely, And look I will say, you know, we are in we are in couples therapy and working things out, and she she more or less does a lot of the same things that you do. You know, she's like, you know, she's not going to stop believing what she believes. And you know, you basically, if you want this to work, you got to find a little ground somewhere, you know. Yeah, she has to be more transparent about spending. I have to do a little more understanding about giving her space, and you know that's fair. I also and you know, I'm also in therapy myself. The thing is my I would like for my wife to get into therapy as well to kind of deal with some of the things that she went through. The thing is like she sees a somatic therapist who unfortunately kind of validates the stuff that she believes in, so I don't necessarily think she's getting the best of treatment or the kind of treatment she needs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is that a therapist? Are they? Are they licened? You know? Are they critical?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So yeah, she is a licensed therapist, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And you know these somatic therapy that can go either way, that can be you know, some therapists are like yeah I do this, this, this and this, and then that are like, oh I do all the things that you can't actually get registered for, you know what I mean? Right, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 6: So basically what her sessions consist of is like, you know, she'll give her like a synopsis of maybe what happened over the last couple of weeks, and then at the end they'll do like breathing exercises and okay, it's pretty much.
Speaker 1: It all right.
Speaker 6: When I after and after I confronted her about the spending the therapist was. Actually she was telling the therapist about her mentor and how much it cost her to go to the mentor, and Psychic told her, I think that's a great yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: She's like, yeah, I think that's.
Speaker 5: A great deal for what you've got.
Speaker 1: And you know, so okay, I don't know, okay, yeah on the red flags there, yeah, I mean, yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: She She also said that, you know, it sounds like to me like your husband is trying to control your spending. And I don't think that's scary. Do you try to control his spending?
Speaker 7: You know that that kind of you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that kind of thing. Yeah, I mean it's it's less about you know, it's not about control, right, It's about transparency. I think I think maybe if your response was, I this is I'm not going to let you do this, right, you know that that's one conversation, but you didn't even know it was happening, at least at the time, right, I don't know how you feel about it right now, obviously, like she's doing what she's doing, so you have to be comfortable on some level, right, And which is I think right? Like you know, because you're an adult and she's an adult. You got to live your lives. You got to figure it out, right.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's like anything else. It's good days and bad, you know, especially after after and of course, like all this shit happens like right after I was my dad, you know, because my dad was like kind of like my right hand man, like he was my guy, like he was my rock.
Speaker 5: I could fight everything in him.
Speaker 6: And you know, it was it was hard dealing with the walk with my father and then on top of that finding this out, you know, because it just felt like a betrayal from her that I never expected in a million years from her. You know, there was some disillusionment there, some heartbreak there, and it was difficult to process. And there are things sometimes because I said at work, I said, I sit at desk at work all day. It gets my numbing and sometimes I'll get invasive thoughts and it'll get.
Speaker 7: Me mad all over again.
Speaker 1: But you know I probably did the same thing. What are you going to say, Jay, Say, that's that's tough.
Speaker 2: I have some similar experiences with relationship and my wife as well. I'm not going to be the one to say to do take my route but I'm more of a grat person when it comes to these things. If my wife ever came to me saying that something's true, I just asked her to prove it and then we kind of go from there. So if she says tarot cards are real, and I'm like, hey, I'll spend money on something that's real, so let's see if it's real. And if she can't show it's real, that's kind of our rule. And it's the same thing for me as well. If I come to her and I'm like, hey, this will work, whether that's business, whether that's an idea I have, I have to present her with evidence on why we should maybe spend money on this or why we should spend our allocate our time towards this.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of how we go about it.
Speaker 2: And that's whether she's talking about supernatural things or.
Speaker 3: Just things we both know are just regular life things.
Speaker 2: I think that is what a relationship should be, is people coming together showing the evidence on why they think.
Speaker 3: The group should take that path forward.
Speaker 2: And if you can't come with evidence, you got to go back to the drawing table and then come back again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's that's kind of my parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know I think, like, like with Justin's wife, though, like her evidence is, well, the psychic told me this thing, and this thing came true, right, or I got a feeling about this thing, right, so it's like.
Speaker 3: Something to come true. I'm sorry I missed that point.
Speaker 1: Well, well they were saying somebody died and then uh, you know, it was like yeah, So it's like I I think, yeah, when you don't have that shared standard of evidence, it's harder to do that. Uh, you're right. And with me and my wife, it's you know, she's a staunch atheist, but like we go back and forth about chiropractice. She she's fine with some chiropractor and she thinks some of them are shams for sure, but she's okay with some of them because they, you know, they give her what do you call it, sort of that temporary relief, And I'm like, I don't care. I can go to somebody that has an MD for that. You know, I don't need to go to a chiropractor. But you know, like we we get along with other things in life because I eventually, you know, I have that trust in her right, and it all goes back to that trust it all goes back to that those foundations of your relationship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly so, And that's the thing mm hmm.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing, you know, like you knows as much as I'm not crazy as about the whole psychic you know, the whole spirituality thing. I mean, it doesn't bother me as much as like you were saying that the lack of transparency with the money being right and that right could have been spent on anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I still would have me bad.
Speaker 1: I think that's your focus, man. I think that's your focus, Justine. I think that's what it has to be, because you can fight the good atheist fight all day, but if he doesn't have the same values of evidence, right, those same values of method, then that's gonna be an up to the battle. I think for you, I think you have to bring it down to your relationship fundamentals. If if if, I mean, if if it were me, Justin, that's that's what I would focus on because that's going to be a quicker path to solving things then changing her entire worldview on spirituality and religion and everything else. Right, And it's unfortunate because man, in just the last call, I was taking the soft stance. I was saying, yeah, you know, if people have terror cards, I really don't care. What's my exceptions though, money and emotional manipulation, And that's the two things that are happening in your case right now, right This is why this stuff sucks. I hate and and and and why. Like I can be cool with, you know, my neighbor who likes to do terror rings for fun, versus somebody who has a practice of legitimately taking advantage of emotionally vulnerable people. I mean, it's it's it's terrible, it's terrible, and what do you be able to do about it? It's it's what can you do? It's hard, right because your wife's an adult, she makes her own decisions, she's got her own life, So I yeah, I don't know. That's that's that's my take. I think just at the end of the day, it's you go to those relationship fundamentals. That's what you do first. You do the atheist thing it's going to be you know, that comes later, That comes later. It's it's figuring out that first part first. That's more important at the end of the day, because there are people in interfaith relationships that I know them, and they make it work. And they do that because they love and trust the person that they're with and the faith stuff that's secondary, that doesn't matter as much, you know. And so right now you're kind of in an interfaith relationship. You're with somebody who has beliefs about the out for life and has beliefs about people and their and their abilities, and that's you got to figure out what you're going to do with, right So yeah, many tough man, that's tough. But I really appreciate you telling us about it, that you that you trust us to tell us your story and you know, maybe vent a little bit. Maybe that's what you needed. So I hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for you, it was.
Speaker 7: Great and I really appreciate you'll let me bend your ear and you know, it was a.
Speaker 5: Blast to be able to break this. I appreciate you both.
Speaker 1: Great. Well, just to if anything changes in your situation, can you call let us know what's up. You know, I want to hear absolutely yet great you know any other topics too. You know we're down. You know you said your longtime listener, I want to I love to hear more from you, So thank you. Justin we'll let you go now because we've got some other folks who want to talk to but really appreciate you calling, and yeah, I hope your situation improves my man. Well, we'll wait to hear more, but until then, yeah, we'll let you go. Thanks man. Wow wow wow Jay to one.
Speaker 2: Whoa.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about this. There was a lot of money involved there. That was tough. Four thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Four thousand dollars, JA, but you were you were so right on what you said at the end.
Speaker 2: There it is they need to get the base part first, where you're saying it's about the relationship, and then let all the other stuff fix itself after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a problem. That's a problem with people. I'm not gonna say that's just an atheist community problem. But but you know, you see shows like ours and we talk about the atheist stuff, we talk about the evidence, we talk about all this, and I think some people walk away from that and they say, well, this is how I need to approach my conversations with other people. And that's not necessarily true, right, because we're talking about very specific issues. This is an issue that's beyond just the religion stuff, right, that's a relationship issue. Is you got to figure out And I think for a lot of people it's relationship issue they got to figure out first before the other show.
Speaker 2: And I think you got on to what I was saying there too, which I'm glad you switched it a little bit where I was saying that would you have cared if it was something else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly.
Speaker 3: Where I was getting at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you jumped on it right away, whereas this, Yeah you got it. It's true, it's true. You know, these things are more interchangeable than what people might give them credit for. A Let's see if we can get at least one more caller in before the end of today's show. I think this next one I want to get is great, or it looks to be great. This is Bob who's talking to us from New York. Bob wants to know about right and wrong from the perspective of an atheist. What that means for us, Bob, You're live on truth wanted. What's up, Bob? Can you hear us? You are alive on the show calling for Bob. You are alive, Bob, giving you one more chance? Okay, Bob, if you're talking, we can't hear you, so we're gonna put you right back into the queue. Doesn't mean that we can't talk to you. You may have been maybe you've been on hold for a while and you put your phone down. That's cool. Just let the let the call screeners know and we'll get back to you. Right now. We have open lines. We got fifteen minutes before the end of the show, So if anybody else wants to kind of call in and talk about it, talk to us, then we want to talk to you. I will say atheist morality is a hard thing because I would say it's one of the most difficult questions to answer, and some I've talked about this with Kelly Laughlin co hosts. He disagrees with me on this hard I say it's one of the hardest ones to answer. Maybe you disagree with me, Jay, I think it's hard because if you are like our background where you grew up thinking Christiane is the way of the truth and the life, and you don't know how to you don't know how to operate outside of that. You're talking about like God made right and wrong. So if God's not real, what does right wrong even me? And why not just do whatever the hell you want in any given point of view, even if that means hurting other people, why not do that?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: That was hard for me to sort of conceptualize, but I think I kind of figured it out. What what do you think about this question? Though? Jay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was actually I was hoping that I like this kind of conversation.
Speaker 2: I was like, Oh, I would have talked because I found when I was a Christian, I thought what I wanted to do as far as be a good person was because of Christianity. And then I started digging deeper and it was just like, hey, Jay, you just care about people. If you didn't, if you didn't believe this book, guess what you still care about people? Yeah, And that's really happened to me is I stopped believing it and I still cared. I still care about people, and it's just it's just me and I think it's a part of social creatures. We evolution has made our traits to need to care about each other after a while.
Speaker 1: How long does it take to bring up a baby?
Speaker 3: You have to you have to take care of the baby, and you have to care about it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know, it all makes sense to me sure, I think I operate under similar lines. Right. It's it's it's really it just comes from our human capacity to care about each other. And that brings up a really scary implication, because there are people that don't care about other people and I don't. And I mean that in the most clinical sense.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: We have psychopaths, sociopaths, people who struggle or lack empathy for other people, and that affects their ability to reason decisions right on what they think is going to be best. They may have their own interest in mind, and if we had, if more of the people in the world were like this, our ideas of right and wrong would be very different.
Speaker 3: It was at one point I would say, yeah, there were more people, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'd say so. And so that's I think a constant human struggle. I think that's always going to be the case. You're always going to have people who have that, and it's just something we have to wrestle with as people that. Yeah, our our sense of morality kind of does come from our just predisposition, our sort.
Speaker 2: Of genetic scary thing when you realize that for some yeah, you haven't realized it yet, and you wake up one day and you realize that, hey, the person across the street that might want to harm me might have just as many reasons.
Speaker 1: To do it as I would say not to. Yeah, and true, very that's scary. Yeah. Yeah, So so you know, do I have an answer to is morality objective?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I'm one of those atheists that think morality there is no sort of like universal system that everybody can agree on to make sense of it. Like, I think we get close to it, and I think we try our best, and I think we can use reason, but it's still not perfect. I think our reason is is flawed, and I think our reasoning can still make mistakes. And it happens every day all the time. So it's I think it under that lens, it's not objective because it's not like the game of chess doesn't have to change over time, right, you can keep the same rules, But our morality is changing all the time. So how can I really say it's subjective in that sense. I think it's objective as close as it can be to us right now. But ten years from now, I'm probably going to have a different perspective on what's right and wrong, and that that should give us pause. I'm not going to have a different perspective on how chess works. So I don't know. Unless I get really good at chess, maybe I know more about it, But like the rules are still the same. Right, So that was a good thing you just said there.
Speaker 2: If we find out something about chess that we didn't know, the rules might change a little bit. And that's the same thing with our societies. If we find out something all of a sudden, everything changes.
Speaker 1: That's a good insight.
Speaker 2: If we find in like a clean energy tomorrow, like you know, just like it changes society, Like everything changes.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's so true. So like people like gen Z folks love to bring this up. They're like, oh, the brain doesn't finish developing into like twenty five, which like isn't true by the way that there's like there's no consensus someone the brain like stops developing. This is just kind of a cultural myth. But they bring this up because, well, maybe we should treat people up to eight twenty five differently, right, Maybe you know that information, if you are to believe it to be true, should affect how you operate in the world. Right, So that's that's like how your analogy of chess. Right, that's kind of like learning a new rule of chess. Oh, if we know that people's capacity is different, then maybe the way we legislate or maybe the way we treat people should be different. Right, So in that history as well. Yeah, yeah, so it does kind of affect our every day. Science does inform our morality in that sense, which is fascinating. Christianity doesn't say science informs morality. Never doesn't say that. It says it comes from God or depending on the kind of Christian you are. One day, our ancestors ate a fruit and we discovered both wrong and we didn't have to learn anymore after that, we kind of knew, right, So you know, what do you do with that?
Speaker 2: You don't do anything with it besides be stuck in the past. I mean, yeah, that's kind of how I look at that, true, you know, right, like we have we have people that want to go back to the past. Now I'll say that just like we've gone past it, we're trying to go back. But I always tell my kids, one day, I hope that I am considered a bad person, because that means that their society has gotten so much better.
Speaker 3: Like I want to look into the future and be that that person.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, that guy, we don't believe what he believes anymore A good way in the good way.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I tell them that all the time. That's an interesting because, like, you know, people always do this, right, Well, you can't judge people in history because they lived in the times and can agree, right, So, like you have to judge people on sort of a sliding scale is kind of how people do. So you agree with that notion. You think that we shouldn't judge people as harshly from a certain period ago.
Speaker 2: Bringing up the Bible that we brought up. I don't judge them for what they believed in. I think what was written was for them. They read it for their culture and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I kind of think along similar lines because when I think about my own upbringing, my education, you know, I have access to the Internet, I have like all kinds of stuff that most people in most periods of time didn't have, and like, like, unarguably those experiences, those privileges that I have affect my worldview. Right, I'm a different person because of the access to things I have in my experiences. So how can I judge somebody who didn't have access to those things and they just knew their own religion and their own culture in their own environment. Right, So it does become harder. And that's sense you do with your kids too. When you have kids, you know they don't have information you have, and you treat them better. Yeah, we'll hope the difference. Yeah, if you're a good parent, which I think you are.
Speaker 3: Unless unless you're the God of the Bible, you don't do these things.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing, right, because because Christianity says no, no, you have to. This is the objective standard and you can judge it in all times in places, which is inconsistent in the Bible narrative, by the way, But you.
Speaker 2: Know that furnishing your kids for leaving the tree that you didn't want them to eat from it is an amazing thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me that that makes sense. Yeah, I don't know, I don't know, off topic a little bit, but no, it's on topic because like the Bible doesn't have a concept of like liability, you know, like like God isn'tliable because he's God, I guess, and he just makes the rules Like was he liable for leaving the tree? I mean, I would think so right, that seems to make sense, But nobody they don't really talk about that. I don't know. It's not really hard one to talk about.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. On that note, you know we uh, it looks like Bob wasn't able to talk back with this. I'm so sorry about that, Bob. Next time you call it, we'll try to talk to you. You know, maybe we'll try to talk to you sooner in case you were like waiting for too long or whatever. But I want to give an awesome shout out to Jay for joining me on today's broadcast. Jay, you were awesome to talk to you. Thanks so much. Thank you. I have fun good times. Yeah, I enjoyed. I enjoyed this stuff. Man, I enjoyed too.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm here. It's gonna be great. Uh, it's it's it's it's it's gonna Why am I saying it's gonna be great? It's been great to talk with you. If people want to find more of your stuff, where should they go?
Speaker 2: If you just type in YouTube never flame, never Tilt, you will find me. You'll see my ugly mug pop up. One long word, never flame, never Tilt. That's all you need to do, and that's on YouTube, right, that's great. Yeah, I don't have much any other any places, So YouTube's the place awesome you want to did you want to see me? It's on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays.
Speaker 1: There you go. So that's where you should go if you want to check out more of Jay's stuff. I want to give a special shout out to our backup host, Beard, who we alluded to early, Beard of Empathy. Thanks so much for joining us and for being here. Beard. What'd you think of today's show?
Speaker 8: That it was an interesting show, interesting topic. I do disagree with it though. There is something that tarot cards do predict very well. Oh yeah that is Yes, that said that a gullible rube is about to be departed from their money.
Speaker 1: Damn, damn, all right, you can't be doing that at the end of the show, bro, Like before, we cant even debate about it. But now I agree with you. I mean there's a bit of a I mean, yeah, gullible, emotionally vulnerable. I don't know, somebody, somebody's getting to take advantage of if money's being parted when it comes to tarot cards, right for sure? Yeah, I do agree.
Speaker 8: They can be used as a therapy tool for free associations. They can help us, you know, have an idea of something to do. What direction do I want to write something about what ideas are coming up? But they should always be done, you know, knowing that it's not predicting the future at all. It's not psychic at all.
Speaker 1: It's just these things are just like horoscopes.
Speaker 8: Like they're so broad and so generic in their meanings and interpretations that they can mean anything.
Speaker 1: That's true. Although you got to be careful when you say, well, these things are just like horoscopes, because somebody who's already into tarot cards probably like, oh, yeah, horoscopes are awesome too, you know what I mean? Yeah, exactly, but yeah, good insight on that. I appreciate that, and I like the specification that, like, yes, this is a tool, but it's not everything. It's not everything. Can only do so much, you know. I think I agree with that. You know, before we end every episode, Jay, I always like to ask my guest host for some words of wisdom, and I usually do this on the spot and don't tell them ahead of time. So I'm asking you, now, what's your words of wisdom today before we wrap up today's episode of Truth Wanted. Perfect for me, man.
Speaker 2: I like that. Just basically, any idea that you have, any idea that anyone you're talking to has. I do believe that we should start forming our society on proving things, which means doing research. So if something's important to you, do the research on it, find out the facts, find out the things that you may have wrong.
Speaker 1: Just really drive to learn and be curious.
Speaker 2: And I really think that be curious and if you're curious, it'll lead you towards finding the truth.
Speaker 3: So just keep up that curiosity.
Speaker 1: And I love that. That's my sermon for Sunday. Good sermon, good sermon. I love that. Co sign on that. That's a good one. Folks. I'm objectively dan. This has been another great episode of Truth Wanted. Remember to always keep wanting the truth. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 7: H m hmmm.
Speaker 3: Mmmm h.
Speaker 6: M.
Speaker 1: Watch Talking and Sundays at one pm Central and calling to the show one or connected to the show line at a c A dot call