Speaker 1: Hey, what's up all you wonderfully wicked people.
Speaker 2: I'm Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Warning. The following podcast contains and material intended more mature audience. The listener discretion. We don't have any any cans to open this episode, cheers the clink. We have Margarita's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a party to not we are.
Speaker 1: It's Monday and we're just drinking Margarita's. That's it. There's no story to go along with it.
Speaker 2: But they probably don't know that we're actually like obsessed with Margarita's.
Speaker 1: Margarita's are the ship.
Speaker 2: They're freaking delicious.
Speaker 1: The only beverage better than Margarita is chocolate.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I like, what is it? What is it?
Speaker 1: Chocolate milk? That's it. That's the only one that can be to Margarita.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think i'd if I had to choose between the two, I would choose Margarita.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, when we're in Vancouver, we'll have to make sure that we like, go get a lot of Margaritas, because I'm pretty sure I mix like the best margarita ever. So let's see if someone can compete with my margarita, just.
Speaker 2: Saying your margarita is a pretty dang good.
Speaker 1: If you guys want a margarita recipe, I'm gonna tell you right now. Minute made limemad a whole can of that bunch of ice, tequila triple sec and a little bit of water just to kind of make it so it's not like too like slushy and boom, and you got like the best margarita in the world.
Speaker 2: Just saying it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I don't actually love the rim salted though I could pass on that shit. I do.
Speaker 1: It hits me right once in a while, but not not all the time. Some people actually sugar the rim.
Speaker 2: Do you know that I would like that better?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. I generally drink it out of a straw though, so it doesn't matter. I usually just sult it because it makes it look pretty. Yeah, with your little line, I want to look fancy a pinky to take a.
Speaker 2: Picture your brig and marguerite compared to mine. Mine just a missed jar like I gave two ships.
Speaker 1: Mine's actually in a marguerita glass, salt lime every Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just like, just give me the bows.
Speaker 1: Yep, you're excited for a Vancouver trip though.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sorry, I'm just like watching her dog and wondering if I should go help her.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's fine, Okay, she's just aimlessly wandering. She's going back upstairs screw these guys. Yeah okay, but yeah, this means next episode is going to be the lady in red.
Speaker 2: On location, which is so cool.
Speaker 1: Maybe she'll visit us.
Speaker 2: She better not.
Speaker 1: I kind of hope she does.
Speaker 2: You do, hope she does. But honestly, I would be able to deal with that shit better than you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I will scream like a little bitch.
Speaker 2: I think it would traumatize you more than Actually.
Speaker 1: I want her to come so I can have the experience and then tell people I handled it like a manly man when in reality I can.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I would know the truth. Yeah, yeah, and I wouldn't lie for you.
Speaker 1: Sorry. I mean I would cower from a lot of things. I'm I'm one of the kind of guys I would stand up for some things, but when it comes to like paranormal activity, I cower.
Speaker 2: I think seeing a ghost would be really freaky. But the main reason I'm excited for Vancouver I feel like you're excited because you're staying at the Paramount doing this podcast. But it's just see your tiny homework.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is done, it's pretty much done well by the time we done.
Speaker 2: By the time we get there, it will be built on which is like a few weeks a couple of weeks ahead of schedule, which is like what, So we'll make.
Speaker 1: Sure we've logged that and vlog of course the fair amount as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that'll all be I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: So if you want to see some vlogs, some stuff on YouTube, we only have one video right now, but coming in Vancouver, we're definitely gonna put more out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have the time.
Speaker 1: Hopefully, we're way too busy.
Speaker 2: We'll be on vacation. I'm assuming on vacation you have time to do That's true.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: That's my goalingway.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't I don't know if I would have the same amount of time that the person in this case has though, because this person dedicated a lot of time.
Speaker 2: To watching Well, I know, I just saw your Instagram posts. I'm not like overly excited about this ship.
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to change the tone a little bit because the last two cases were pretty heavy hitting.
Speaker 2: They were really heavy, so the amount of messages I would get be like I hate you guys, I know right.
Speaker 1: Well, we even had a few people who are like diehard listeners were like, yeah, I made.
Speaker 2: It this one. That one, well it was mostly okay. I feel like mine was like pretty intense, but we still like kept it at a like pretty light hearted level. But yours it just could not be kept at the lighthearted level.
Speaker 1: Well, it dumbfounded shocked both.
Speaker 2: Of us so well, and I know I was just like I didn't know what to say because it was like holy shit.
Speaker 1: Anyways, though this case is as creepy as hell, don't get me wrong, but it's no one dies, no one's torture die, no one's raped. So it's it's creepy, but that's about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, it can't be that bad. No one died.
Speaker 1: This one is known as the Watcher. The Watcher, Yeah, it's a whole stalking episode.
Speaker 2: If okay, that's a bit creepy.
Speaker 1: If you can want to say it's stocking, I don't know you we'll get into it. You'll see, make your own judgment call if you want to call it stocking or not. Okay, see you ready for this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just took a swig of on margarita. I'm good to go.
Speaker 1: I need to do the same thing.
Speaker 2: That was me making side effects. Okay, that's a big.
Speaker 1: Swigs down half my margarita.
Speaker 2: Now we're gonna have this is our drunk from the drunk.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're like five minutes in the intro. Let's let's get on with this.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So in June of twenty fourteen, this is this is fairly recent case, not even ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: I like that Derek and Maria broad Us had closed the deal to purchase a six bedroom house at six five seven Boulevard, Westfield, New Jersey. Okay, Westfields. It's it's a welcoming place. It's like, you know, a nice neighborhood. It's a place where neighbors might like actually introduce themselves, meet you with warm greeting and welcome you to the neighborhood sort of thing. You know. It maybe even bring you a couple cookies on.
Speaker 2: A platter or something like a pie or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ki wants some attention. If you're heard hear me? How Kiwi's like in our face, all our all of our animals.
Speaker 2: I know, I almost want to be like, just go somewhere else in the tiny home.
Speaker 1: We can kick them out of the house maybe, or it'll just be it will be worse. Okay, welcome to Waken and groom. We have animals. We love them, We love you guys. Deal with it, okay. Anyways, so they're moving into this new house. It's a dream house, amazing neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, it only sounds promising.
Speaker 1: It's only forty five minutes from New York. Oh, it's a bit too like slow lifestyle for like most singles and stuff, which means the town's thirty thousand residents are largely like well off families because the're fairly nice houses.
Speaker 2: It's to be like a little ways out of a big city like that.
Speaker 1: I think that's perfect. Definitely, definitely. It's like, I don't know, like a sitcoms, like perfect neighborhood sort of thing. Okay, Okay, So the Broadesses purchased the house for one point three million dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Well, it was one three hundred and fifty five one million, three hundred fift five thousand, six hundred and fifty seven, which is an oddly specific number in my opinion, but whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but house prices are like kind of weird sometimes how that.
Speaker 1: Worked either way, they were overjoyed. This was literally their dream home. Okay, it was in a familiar neighborhood, as Maria grew up in the in the sorry Margerie's are hitting me. She grew up in the neighborhood in a home only a few blocks away.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: And for her husband, Derek, it was like the perfect place for him to raise his family with his wife's sort of thing. They had three kids. It was just everything about it's perfect. And it was perfect to the point that the kids were even planning which fireplace sent was going to come down during.
Speaker 2: Christmas and the wan fireplace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they hadn't even moved in yet. And this is what the kids are talking about.
Speaker 2: This sounds too perfect.
Speaker 1: I'm already literally picture perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing's perfect.
Speaker 1: So three days after they purchased their new home, Derek was inside doing some renovations. They hadn't moved in yet, Okay, so he's inside painting, getting ready for the move. And Derek kind of finished up and he went outside to check the mail, and inside he found some letters. You know, of course it's mail. Yeah, but one letter specifically was addressed to quote unquote the new owners in chunky letters. Okay, I'm gonna give not a warning, but a heads up to everyone listening. The letters have never actually been fully published to the public, so we don't fully know what the letters have said.
Speaker 2: I wonder why that is.
Speaker 1: It's they just kept him private. And some sections of the letters have come through via court cases. Okay, okay, so I've pieced together the letters the best I can. I'm sure there's some missing, but here we go. Inside the envelope was a type note that began with a warm greeting, dearest neighbors of six five seven Boulevard, allow me to welcome you to the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: How did you end up here? Did six five seven Boulevard call to you with its force? Within? Six five seven Boulevard has been the subject of my family for decades now, and as it approaches its one hundred and tenth birthday, it has been put in charge, sorry, I have been put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming. My grandfather watched the house in the nineteen twenties, my father watched in the nineteen sixties, and now it's my time. Do you know the history of the house? Do you know what lies within the walls of six five seven Boulevard? Why are you here? I will find out? Creepy as fuck? Yeah, No, creepy as fuck.
Speaker 2: Okay, that has to be like a There has to be some sort of way for them to get the fuck out of that new purchase.
Speaker 1: No, they bought it, it's theirs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, if shit wasn't disclosed of this weird history, you have a house, you're lawyer or you're not your real turn. Shit can be at fault, can't they.
Speaker 1: We go about my mic, we get into a bit of the history on that. So that's that's to come up here. Now, however, that's not the end letter. That's only like one third of it. So to continue on, I see already that you have flooded six five seven Boulevard with contractors, so you can destroy the house as it was supposed to be. Tusk tisk tisk.
Speaker 2: Wow the judgment there, bad move.
Speaker 1: You don't want to you don't want to make six five seven boulevard. Unhappy you have children? I have seen them so far. I think there are three that have that I have counted. Are there more on the way? I have asked the woods to bring me young blood, and it looks like they listened. Do you need to fill the house with young blood as I requested? Better for me? Was your old old house too small for the growing family? Bless you? First way to go? You just ruined the ambiance? Good, It's all good? Okay? Where was I? Was your old house too small for the growing family? Or was it greed? Or was it greed? To bring me your children? Once I know their names, I will call to them and draw them to me. Oh, last little bit of letter? Ready for this?
Speaker 2: No, I already hate the letter.
Speaker 1: Oh it's weird. I would be like one weird thing is? It's like so formal and well written, not necessarily well written, but very formal and like almost old English and very.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did, actually it was like kind of old fashioned.
Speaker 1: Who am I? There are hundreds and hundreds of cars that drive by six fifty seven Boulevard each day? Maybe I am in one. Look at all the windows you can see from six five seven Boulevard. Maybe I am in one look out any of the many windows in six five seven Boulevard, Boulevard, at all the people who stroll by each day. Maybe I am one have a happy moving in day. You know I will be watching Wow, Welcome, Let the party begin, signed at the end in a cursive typed font, not hand signed the watcher.
Speaker 2: The watcher. Okay, I would honestly feel like, I don't know, you'd be only Cloud nine. You're just mooed into this awesome house, like your dream house. I'd probably be like, oh, this is like a prank. Most like I would go there and be like, oh, this is so real. I mean, i'd probably be a little nervous, but I think I would more so just like think it's a prank.
Speaker 1: But there are still some details about that. They've they've seen your three kids, which right away, for any parent, your kids are most likely going to be your priority to protect. Yeah, so that's a big red flag there. Second, they the person did know the family prior to because he mentioned the Woods, which is the prior family, the Woods family, Like.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you mean the family before these?
Speaker 1: Yes, who moved out and sold the house to the new family.
Speaker 2: Their last name is okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So he referenced them. So he knows the Woods or at least their name, and he knows that these people are bringing in contractors and have three kids. So he clearly is whether it's a prank. He clearly is watching to some degree.
Speaker 2: I guess I want to know why the Woods people moved. I hope you're going to go over that. Well, let's keep going, Okay, yeah, I am.
Speaker 1: So when Derek read this letter, it was after about ten pm, and Derek's wife and the kids were currently at their old house elsewhere in Westfield, you know, getting ready to move in certain thing. All right, Sorry, it wasn't elsewhere in Westfield. They were elsewhere while in Westfield he was there. Sorry I wrote that.
Speaker 2: Weird, No, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: So somewhere else. So the watcher was watching, potentially even watching Derek read the letter.
Speaker 2: On his front hand. That's kind of creepy.
Speaker 1: So Derek immediately went inside the house, raced around, turning off all the lights that no one could see, and he called the Westfield police right away.
Speaker 2: Oh so this like really got to him?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: An officer immediately arrived to the house read the letter and said, quote unquote, what the fuck is this? Best response for a police officer for what the fuck is this? That's my kind of police officer.
Speaker 2: I love it, just getting down to it. I love it. That's funny.
Speaker 1: So he asked Derek if he had any enemies, and as far as Derek knew, he didn't, which I mean, most people don't think they have enemies.
Speaker 2: But who knows, right, Yeah, you never really know, I guess.
Speaker 1: So Derek rushed back to his wife and kids that night, and he and his wife Maria wrote an email to John and Andrea Woods, the previous owners of.
Speaker 2: The property, and we're like, what the shit?
Speaker 1: Yep, pretty much. Well I don't think they were aggressive about it, but they were questioning, right, Well, yeah, I would be. So the previous owners were an older couple and it doesn't say why they moved out. I'm assuming it's most likely downsizing or.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 1: So they were an older couple who previously owned the property before him, and you know, like I said, I recently sold. But in an email, they asked the couple if they had any idea who the watcher might be and why he had written the letter and quote to Derek, I had asked the Woods. Sorry, not quote to Derek, quote to the Watcher, because specifically in there, I had asked the Woods to bring me young blood. And it looks like they listened right, oh right, So clearly it might tie the Woods. They might have an idea. So the next morning they actually received a reply from Andrea Woods, and a few days before moving out of the house, she said that they had also received a letter from the Watcher. She said the note had been odd, and she said that there is never any or sorry why jumped ahead? Do do do do do do?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: Okay, So she said the note was odd and it made similar mention of the Watcher's family observing the house over time. But Andrea said her and her husband never received anything in the twenty three years of living in the house.
Speaker 2: I think that's bullshit. I don't believe that.
Speaker 1: She said that her and her husband, once they received it before moving out of the house, just dismissed the letter as like you said, a prank and just turfed the letter.
Speaker 2: I just feel that's very weird that these people instantly move in, instantly get a letter, but then those other people are there for twenty three years and one letter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, so, but it could just be this new watcher because he said his father watched it before him, his grandfather watched before him. It could just be that this watcher who's now taking over the air of watching six fifty seven Boulevard is just anxious.
Speaker 2: And I guess or it came like maybe they saw Ittless did.
Speaker 1: Maybe or something. Who knows what, why, how, where, everything, But this is a situation we are in.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the woods Is were more happy, more than happy to actually help out with Derek and Maria and do whatever they needed to talk to police or whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So later that day they went down to the police station where Detective Leonard Lugo joined the case and listened to what they had to say.
Speaker 2: Good name, pronunciation, thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. I tried really hard to tell.
Speaker 2: If someone was watching you right now, they would know you were trying.
Speaker 1: Well. The moment I tried to say the name, like my posture went up, shoulders back, and I'm like, I got this, like goose frob a own meditating beforehand, just to get it right. Okay. Anyways, so after talking for a while about the house and the letters quote unquote the watcher. Sorry end quote unquote the watcher. I'm getting mixed up today, sorry, guys. So the investigator, Leonard told Maria and Derek and the Woods, is not to tell anyone about these letters, including any neighbors, to keep it hush, hush, quiet under the radar.
Speaker 2: Okay, at first, it's like, what the frig? But that makes sense actually, well because.
Speaker 1: As of right now, all of the neighbors were now suspects, and I didn't want to give away any idea of the investigation occurring to a potential watcher, right exactly. Yeah, So there was no if nothing was reported, no change in any behaviors, there's no reason for any observing habits of the watcher to change, potential letters to change. So it might give the investigators a heads up to maybe catch them in the act.
Speaker 2: Right. I honestly love how like everyone's taking this so seriously, which is like the police and everything, because sometimes, like even fucked up cases we've been doing, yes, they don't take that shit seriously.
Speaker 1: It's very refreshing to hear them actually take something seriously.
Speaker 2: I get not that they don't usually, but just like a lot of our really messed up cases, Like there's been serious warnings and like people could have been saved and they don't. They're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right off the bat, they're taking this serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually like really like wow.
Speaker 1: So it's a nice change of pace for sure. Okay, where am I here? Now?
Speaker 2: I got off my chart?
Speaker 1: You did? Okay? So the Broadest has spent the next couple of weeks on of course, high alert, and Derek canceled a work trip and whenever Maria took the kids to the new house, she would make sure the kids stayed closed and never wandered into any corners of the yard. They took precautions when necessary.
Speaker 2: Such a shitty way to enter into this new chapter your life, I know.
Speaker 1: Right, kind of sucks. It gets worse. Wait.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: There was actually one intant incident when Derek was giving a tour of the renovations to a couple who lived on the block. He froze like instantly when the wife of the couple said, quote unquote, it'll be nice to have some young blood in the neighborhood. Yeah. That never like it. It didn't make out anything like it's it's a saying and it's just like, wait, what what'd you just fucking say?
Speaker 2: That is funny?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyways, two weeks after the initial letter arrived, Maria stopped by the house to look at some paint samples and check the mail.
Speaker 2: Woo, don't I would just probably actually avoid checking the mail, I know, right, not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: So when she opened the mailbox inside she found another letter with the same thick, chunky black lettering on the envelope. This time, however, it was addressed to them directly by name, Oh, mister and missus Broadus. However, it was misspelled because Broadess is b r O A d d us and this was spelled b r A d d us.
Speaker 2: So he did his homework, but he didn't do his home.
Speaker 1: Well, he probably heard the name brought.
Speaker 2: Us and what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Heard he's listening that's where exactly where? How?
Speaker 2: Oh God?
Speaker 1: But that that's one thing that could be guessed. He might have misspelled it because he never saw it spelled. He only heard the name.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't love that actually at all.
Speaker 1: You're not going to love anything about this case.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, okay, if someone's watching you from afar, it feels a little bit more Okay, than if they like, I can hear what the fuck you're saying in your house?
Speaker 1: Oh just wait until she reads this letter.
Speaker 2: I feel like people wouldn't listen to us very long because we're fucked up sometimes. What we're talking about in our house.
Speaker 1: And some of the things we do is just really like, oh lord, oh he came home margaritas and a monkey ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I literally walk in the door and I didn't even question it. Really. I was making a tick like, oh, you're living your best life.
Speaker 1: Eh, I was making a TikTok If anyone wants to follow me on TikTok official Ben Gibson.
Speaker 2: I do, my gosh. Yeah, never a bull moment here anyways.
Speaker 1: So immediately Maria called the police. So there were some things about this letter that I found information, but not specific quotes, Like, like I said, we don't have all the information on these letters, right. So there's one quote. I don't know where it goes within this letter. So I'm going to read this quote prior to the letter and omit it during the letter, Okay, So just everyone's aware of that. So the watcher actually in this letter boasted having learned a lot about the family, especially the children. The letter identified the Broadesses the three kids by their birth order and their names and their nicknames, their personal nicknames they are called from their parents in their home.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, shit got real. Yes the letter, now it's not a prank anymore if.
Speaker 1: Someone is definitely watching and listening. The letter even asked about one child in particular. The watcher had seen them using an easel to paint inside an enclosed porch. And this is the quote that I'm on from the letter where he asks is she the artists in the family? He watched her, he saw her. He I didn't find the quote on it, but he did mention seeing her using the easel gee and then asked is she the artist in the family. So this particularly made the Broadestes feel uneasy. The porch in question was the front porch, and the view from the street was blocked by bushes. You can't see from the street.
Speaker 2: View really really really.
Speaker 1: Really meaning the only way the watcher actually could have seen was if he was beside the house.
Speaker 2: Oh God, I hope they've set up cameras and shit, they definitely do.
Speaker 1: I don't mention it in this podcast because it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of information I would have fucking cameras lining in my hole.
Speaker 1: God, down there, they set up cameras, and then they set up more cameras, and then they set up more cameras.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I would even have strings around with like cans and shit. So if my name someone.
Speaker 1: Was coming up archaic technology, I love it. He's going to be watching for cameras. He's not going to watch for cancast man. Okay, So I don't have any other of that particular information in that quote, But let's get into the letter.
Speaker 2: Cat.
Speaker 1: So the letter read, welcome again to your new home at six fifty seven Boulevard. The workers have been busy, and I have been watching you unload carfuls of your personal belongings. The dumpster is a nice touch. Have you found what is in the walls yet? In time they will. I am pleased to know your names now, and the name of the young blood you have brought me. You certainly say their names often.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they're your children. Yeah, what a weirdo.
Speaker 1: Six point fifty seven Boulevard is anxious for me for you to move in. It has been years and years since the young blood ruled the halls of the house. You have found all the secrets it holds. Yet will the young blood play in the basement? Are they too afraid to go down there alone? Well, now they are just wait till this. I would be very afraid if I were them. It is far away from the rest of the house. If you were upstairs, you would never hear their screams. What Yeah, Okay, I'm going to continue. I'm gonna try to get through the rest of this letter without you like.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, I've cover my mouth.
Speaker 1: Okay, ready, yeah, we gotta get the dramatic floor covering my mouth? Go okay? Will they sleep in the attic or will you all sleep on the second floor? Who has the bedroom facing the street? I'll know as soon as you move in. It will help me to know who is in which bedroom. Then I can plan better. All of the windows and doors and six fifty seven Boulevard allow me to watch you and track you as you move through the house. Who am I? I am the watcher and I have been in control of six fifty seven Boulevard for the better part of two decades now. The Woods family turned it over to you. It was their time to move on and kindly sold it When I asked them to I passed by many times a day. Six fifty seven Boulevard is my job, my life, my obsession, and now you are too brought. And now you are too brought his family, Sorry for that. Welcome to the product of your greed. Greed is what brought you in the past three families to six fifty seven Boulevard, and now it has brought you to me. Happy moving in date. You know I will be watching.
Speaker 2: What the frig Yeah, that's messed up shit.
Speaker 1: I think this guy has a bit of a complex though, because he's like really starting to boast and like push himself up.
Speaker 2: I think he's an asshole.
Speaker 1: I think there's some stuff that he's saying that is like far beyond like yeah, okay, he's definitely creeping the over.
Speaker 2: He sounds like he's probably a good writer, definitely.
Speaker 1: But he's creeping in on this family. He's hearing some things, he's seeing some things. He's definitely getting close. But I think he's like starting to like get full of himself and just say more than he has power to. Like, the Woods sold the house when I told them to.
Speaker 2: I don't Yeah, that's why I was like, oh, but I thought they've only had one letter. Mm hm, but yeah, like he's just saying he manifest is that shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I'm calling fucking total bullshit on that. Unless the Watcher is listening to this podcast and he's gonna come creep on us, then I am so sorry. You're all powerful, all hail the Watcher, fuck.
Speaker 2: Him, Fuck you Watcher. Does that just mean that they didn't they even't found this guy? Did you just give us a bomb?
Speaker 1: This is a case?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, you and your unsolved shit?
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, done with that. Actually I dropped a hint earlier too.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I just got this one. I'm tired and I'm drinking margarite.
Speaker 1: Actually earlier I dropped it on purpose. This one, I didn't mean to drop it.
Speaker 2: There, so that's my bad and I caught it.
Speaker 1: But even still, this is an unsolved case. But it's it's just crazy how this goes, so it's worth listening in dang so with a new letter clearly showing some someone like in fact watching them, right, like someone is watching.
Speaker 2: Like they know some things for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not just it's not just a prank. Yeah, everything became like a little too real at this point, bringing a letter with that information. So Derek and Maria decided not to visit the house for a while, not move in, and they kept their kids away from whoever was watching.
Speaker 2: Dang though, like sometimes you wouldn't have that opportunity. If you have your other house has sold, no.
Speaker 1: Right, so huh. So with lack of activity at the house, a third letter arrived.
Speaker 2: Oh shitt on, we just jumped up hike, we got to go back.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the third letter is a little bit shorter, and it goes like this, where have you gone to? Six fifty seven Boulevard is missing you. The house is crying from all of the pain it is going through. You have changed it and made it so fancy. You are stealing its history. It cries for the past and what it used to be in the time when I roamed its halls. The nineteen sixties were a good time for six fifty seven Boulevard, when I ran from room to room, imagining the life with the rich occupants there. The house was full of life and young blood when it got old, and so did my father. Sorry, then it got old sold my father, but he kept watching until the day he died. And now I watch and wait for the day the young Blood will be mine again. Six point fifty seven Boulevard is turning on me. It is coming after me. I don't understand why. What spell did you cast on it? It used to be my friend, and now it is my enemy. I am in charge of six point fifty seven Boulevard. It is not in charge of me. I will fend off its bad things and wait for it to become good again. I will not punish it will not punish me. I will rise again. I will be patient and wait for it to pass. I messed that sentence up. Sorry, I'm not a reader like this. This is weird for me. I will be patient and wait for this to pass and for you to bring me the young Blood back back to me. Six fifty seven Boulevard needs young blood. It needs you come back. Let the young Blood play again like I once did. Let the young Blood sleep in six fifty seven Boulevard. Stop changing it and let it alone.
Speaker 2: Okay. I think there were some tidbits in there though, that they could do some serious mo ful research.
Speaker 1: Potentially, yes, dude, potentially.
Speaker 2: Because he was a child living there in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no, listen, closely. Okay, he did not live there.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh so he was like a friend and shit, okay, because you did say something about he dream about the like rich people or something.
Speaker 1: I lived there so in the nineteenth the nineteen sixties were a good time for six fifty seven Boulevard when I ran from room to room imagining the life with the rich occupants there.
Speaker 2: Oh so it was just like a friend or.
Speaker 1: Like maybe he wasn't even welcome in the house and he just snuck in.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well that's not helpful at all then, So it was like, you could research this, let's.
Speaker 1: Do it right. However, there is one little bit of information in here that might be key. He said that his dad he took over twenty years. He's been watching for about twenty years when his father passed away. So that might be of importance because now we have a timeline for when the previous quote unquote watcher had passed away. So that might be a piece of.
Speaker 2: Information, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the letter had literally drove the family though to putting all moving plans like on hold and on the back brand.
Speaker 2: That's so that just sucks. That's a lot of money. They dropped into this house.
Speaker 1: It definitely is. But luckily though, like you said, a lot of people don't have that luxury of just going back to their old house. Well yeah, honestly neither did this family. They actually ended up moving in with Maria's parents. While the investigators tried to sing.
Speaker 2: It so, yeah, I feel bad for them. Nightmare it is.
Speaker 1: It really is. And while investigators were looking into seeing who this watcher is, the problem was there was like so little evidence to go on. In fact, like, other than the letters, they had literally nothing to tie anyone to anything, and the investigators were just at a straight dead end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy seems like he's smart, girl or guy. I don't know why I was assuming it's a dude.
Speaker 1: It could be a watcher, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Could definitely be a female too, So some females are smarter.
Speaker 1: Oh really, you're gonna go there? Just wow, Wow, you're just playing to our demograph.
Speaker 2: I know. Actually I felt okay saying that because more majority of people listening aren't females.
Speaker 1: Thanks, way to turn the tide.
Speaker 2: You're outnumbered.
Speaker 1: Well I'm in charge of this case, so shut you a pieh hole. Anyways, moving on, let's not get this sexist attitude in here.
Speaker 2: God, there's a joke.
Speaker 1: Move on, I am moving on.
Speaker 2: Good, let's do it.
Speaker 1: No, now, I don't want to You're like, don't tell me what to do. Okay, moving on. Okay, So some suspects did turn up, however, Okay, Derek learned about an eccentric family who lived next door, the Langfords. The family consisted of mother Peggy Langford and several of her adult children, who were middle aged, and the family had a long history in the area. In fact, they lived in the neighborhood house since the sixties, which is when the watcher claimed his father watched the house.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Derek began to suspect sixty year old Michael Langford shortly after receiving the first letter, But detectives said that the Langford family's reputation had already been known, and though they were an odd family, they were harmless and caused no trouble for anyone. However, even though they kind of brushed off the Langfords, they were already a step ahead of Derek and already questioned them.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're doing a good.
Speaker 1: Job here, They're doing their due diligence for sure, Yeah, I like this. So the detective said that Michael denied all knowledge of the letters, and that his speaking manner and mental disorders convinced the detectives he was not able to write the letters in the same fashion as the watcher. Okay, so just like that very proper old English formal sort of writing.
Speaker 2: Style come naturally to like a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Probably definitely not so they're convinced it wasn't Michael Langford. But I do want to point out and Derek is still to this day, convinced that it was Michael Langford.
Speaker 2: Really Okay, but he could have been putting an act on too when he was talking to the police.
Speaker 1: Definitely, But Michael's father is dead, okay, mister Langford, Peggy's husband, he's no longer alive. So it could be that he was the one watching in the sixties.
Speaker 2: Well, and it could very much so he could easily have access to see like the front porch and like just being the neighbor and stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Regardless of lack of evidence was a theme to go with like basically everything in this case. And other than like some letters that investigators had, they had nothing, no fingerprints, handwriting, DNA photographs, motives like literally no useful information of any sort to point them in the right direction. So it's brought on a slew of suspects, including like all surrounding neighbors that I mentioned earlier, a teen boy who just so happened to pull over on the side of the road in front of the house, whose girlfriend lived in the neighborhood. The list, like literally goes on, but it gets more obscure the farther you dive into it. So none of those suspects I'm even going to bother touching on because it's just such a stretch that we're it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair, But I also have to say, this is such a shitty way to get introduced to your neighbors. Hey, right, I'm just thinking about this, like eventually if they move in. Yeah, all their neighbors have been accused of like harassing them.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely that sucks. So all the while, though the broadest family were feeling the heavy burden of the house and of course the letters. Derek was suffering from depression, Maria was diagnosed with PTSD. The financial struggle of the home, the kids not understanding what was going on weighing down on them day after day. It's just this heavy, heavy, heavy burden. The idea of selling the home was long gone, however, as news of six point fifty seven Boulevard and the Watcher had made its way to the public.
Speaker 2: Oh, because I was like, they need to just sell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's no longer viable. People weren't interested. New sources cover the story. The Internet became obsessed with the story. Anytime someone would become interested in the house because they did put it up for sale, they would quickly back out of the deal once they were legally granted access to read the letters before purchasing.
Speaker 2: Oh, because they had to like disclose that yep, So.
Speaker 1: They would get the letters to read and right away they would back out and rightfully.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, I wonder like okay, because they could probably also googled it, but like I've never googled a home address if I moved, and now I'm going to for sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, it's a good idea. Yeah, sorry, I got it.
Speaker 2: Yikest here your devis to be a munga reata. I have left good hands here. I love it.
Speaker 1: Who I got to work in.
Speaker 2: The morning, Yeah you do.
Speaker 1: Okay, So eventually though, selling it's just clearly not on the table. The Broadnesses came up with an idea that could end it all.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: What if they demolished the house and what if they split the property into two lots and erect two homes. This would they would seem to break even financially, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that would really piss them off.
Speaker 1: But they would no longer be six fifty seven Boulevard and no house for the watcher to watch, and no watcher because which house is going to be six fifty seven after that? It's not the house is gone, the property split two new houses, which one is, well, yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Should almost have it so that neither of them is that address. Well exactly, I bet you they could do that.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what they said the idea. That was their plan. It wasn't like anything that they wanted to do. Yeah, but it was the best plan they had. Financially they'd break even.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I like it. Their thinkers.
Speaker 1: That's where they went is applied to have the property split into two so they can move forward with the plan. Things quickly came to a halt, however, as the planning board denied the proposal, as individual property must meet certain size requirements within the neighborhood of seventy feet wide per lot, and if they split up the property, each lot would be drum roll sixty nine feet sixty seven feet three feet shy of the requirements. Their proposal was unanimously denied.
Speaker 2: That's bullshit because they needed to just give it to them.
Speaker 1: Just wait to add salt to injury. Later that year, the board approved another property in the area to split their lot and it would result in each property being much less than the even sixty seven feet.
Speaker 2: So that motherfucker the Watcher is on that committee. Done. I just saw the shit.
Speaker 1: Oh you think so? Yeah, Well before we get to the next letter, because there is another one coming up. Left with little alternative, the family turned to renting out the house. They need some income somehow.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised someone want to rent it.
Speaker 1: But okay, well, people needed to be notified of the Watcher And however, there was a clause that they put in there that would void the least agreement if another letter came to the doorstep shortly after the renters moved in. Another let guy. This one, This letter, though, is different it's nice.
Speaker 2: Maybe no, it's nice, nice to the renters, But no, no, this.
Speaker 1: One is filled with a lot more hate, violent winds and bitter cold to the vile and spiteful Derek and his wench of a wife, Maria. You wonder who the Watcher is? Turn around, you idiots. Maybe you even spoke to me, one of those so called neighbors who has no idea who the Watcher could be. Or maybe you know who you are or who I am, and you're scared to tell anyone. Good move. I walked by the news trucks when they took over my neighborhood and mocked me. I watched, as you watch from a dark house, in an attempt to find me. Telescopes and binoculars are wonderful inventions. Six fifty seven Boulevard survived your attempted assault and stood strong with its army of supporters barricading its gates. My soldiers of the Boulevard followed my orders to a tee. They carried out their mission and saved six fifty seven Boulevard with my orders. All hail the Watcher. Maybe a car accident, maybe a fire, maybe something as simple as a mild illness that never seems to go away but makes you feel sick day after day after day after day after day. Maybe the mysterious death of a pet. Loved ones suddenly die, planes and cars and bicycles crash, bones break.
Speaker 2: What an asshole.
Speaker 1: So, just like you said, he very well could be controlling the board, and he even said so in this letter.
Speaker 2: Okay, but he doesn't have that much power. He's on the board. I already think I figured this out.
Speaker 1: Okay, who is it?
Speaker 2: One of the board people, and we need to know who they are, and then I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I don't know who the board members are, but I'm sure there's a lot of Like, he just.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have this much power. I think, like you said, he's like full himself.
Speaker 1: But I do think that, I definitely think. I mean he's casting like such a wide net, like maybe a car accident, maybe a fire, maybe something simple as a small illness that never seems to go away but makes you feel sick after Oh no, I have a common cold. Oh the watcher, that's what that.
Speaker 2: They didn't grant them this They're amazing idea. I'm so upset about that. Yeah, that idea is genius.
Speaker 1: It was it was good. Move on them trying to think that up, but didn't quite pano.
Speaker 2: Oh so he's getting angry, he is.
Speaker 1: So again, the Broadest family would turn to the police, and again they would be met with a dead end. Frustrated and lost, sorry hold on, frustrated and lost with what to do with the family. They tried to sue the Woodses really did.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know if I love that.
Speaker 1: Well, the Woodses had received a letter prior.
Speaker 2: To and they didn't disclose.
Speaker 1: They didn't disclose it, but they held information. We don't know if it was a bad letter. They dismissed it and turfed it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Okay, this just is turning real mass.
Speaker 1: Well, the lawsuit didn't go anywhere. It fell through. It was kind of null and voyage.
Speaker 2: I mean, they are in They're not right either. Like, I don't know if I love the woods Is either. But this is just a disaster it is.
Speaker 1: There are, however, some allegations that the Broadest family themselves were the ones to do it.
Speaker 2: Oh they like maybe realized that they got themselves in a situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. However, like a lot of these allegations aren't really worth mentioning. I'm gonna say that. But the idea mostly is that The Watcher was a hoax put on by the family, And there is a bit of noteworthy information here. Shortly after being denied to split the property up, there was letters dropped off at the doorstep of every board members from the Watcher that was very angry, spiteful, hateful, and Derek admitted it was him who dropped those letters. He regrets it. He was just pissed off up. So that leads people like, oh, maybe he was watching ready there, So maybe it was a play for attention, or maybe it was potentially gain off media and even sell the rights for a movie deal to Hollywood. That's one of the things people are saying. But allegations towards the family have literally haunted them since the story became public. But just like before, though, there's there's no evidence, there's no motive, and there's just no proving any of it.
Speaker 2: That would actually be a really good movie.
Speaker 1: It would be really good.
Speaker 2: Eh.
Speaker 1: No, definitely i'd watch that. There is actually a movie called The Watcher, which I think came out before this, that starts Keanu reeves, I don't even know what's about. But so the fourth letter will be the last correspondence from the Watcher. The house was put back on the market in March of twenty sixteen, and the Broadest family was finally able to re sell their home in August of twenty nineteen for a grand total of how much nine hundred and sixty thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's actually not terrible. It's it's going to be a lot lower.
Speaker 1: But it's a four hundred thousand loss in the property.
Speaker 2: Oh is it that much?
Speaker 1: Plus inflation though, so that's before inflation, so you're probably looking at they probably lost close to five hundred.
Speaker 2: Grand having when they put some money in for renals and.
Speaker 1: Stuff they did, so probably even more.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess that's quite a loss. Yeah, well I thought it would have not been able to sell for that much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, while they have lost well, I mean it's it's a famous house. There's could be someone interested regardless of its background. It's famous, right, owning history, owning something that people will gawk at. Yeah, so, well, they may not have gained money, they lost money. In fact, they did gain a lot more. They gained their lives back. They're free from the senatester actions of the Watcher the burden of the letters. It's now on someone else, the new homeowners, right, it's theirs to worry about. However, six fifty seven Boulevard and its new homeowners have chosen to stay anonymous.
Speaker 2: Oh really, so we have no idea if they've gotten any letters.
Speaker 1: No idea. Oh dang, so as far as we know that fourth letters could but I doubt they'll they'll.
Speaker 2: Uh, they won't tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is there's one final thing, because that's the end of the story. But there is one final thing I want to note here. Netflix has actually picked up the rights to this.
Speaker 2: Oh fun.
Speaker 1: Uh so, Oh I only have the first name. Shoot, I thought I had the whole name. Anyways, there's a producer who works very closely with Netflix and has produced a lot of different stuff and is very like high regards. He's producing a seven episode series which each episode will be one hour in length, and the limited series will be more akin to like American Horror Story. But he is going to be covering that and it's going to be coming out later in twenty twenty one, I believe.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that's super fun.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you want to see the whole series on the Watcher on Netflix. Ah, watch out for it. See what I did there?
Speaker 2: I did like. I like it a lot.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that is the Watcher of six fifty seven Boulevard.
Speaker 2: Okay, I definitely like thought it was gonna be something else. I'm not gonna lie. I thought it was just gonna be like a lot of different stalking incidents of different people, not like the same poor family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there it was just an onslaught of just like they don't know what to do. How can you do anything over there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, that's crazy that just like ever buy a house expensive, just buy a tiny home. You can't get yourself. You can just move your fucking house. You're good to go.
Speaker 1: How did you get that moral from this story? Oh, these people bought an expensive house. Someone stocked him. Therefore, don't buy.
Speaker 2: An expense buy a tiny youre good to go. That makes no sense of the story. Wow, Okay, I'm just kidding, but that actually makes sense because then you don't lose money if you have to peace, if you could piece out like that's at one point whatever.
Speaker 1: The nice thing about having a tiny home is if we have a watcher, we can piece out with the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just gonna like hop on the back.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hope that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: No, so that's creepy. I do feel really bad for these people, definitely, so hope. I'm hoping that their life is okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, our life is going to be okay when we go to Vancouver and we do the Lydy in Red episode next week.
Speaker 2: Oh can I just like okay? I don't know if people are like super like. I don't know if we have a lot of listeners that are into Vancouver, but like if they have any cool like restaurants or places to visit, like hit us up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely working everyone. Actually one hundred.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have some free time there. I want to do some cool stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, there'll be a lot happening on our Instagram and like I said, YouTube as well, so check that stuff out. Give us a follow Wicked and Grim and YouTube's actually Wicked Life. But you can find all our links on Wicked Andgrim dot com.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Good job, Ben, Well, until next time, stay Wicked.