Speaker 1: For thirty five years, Cindy Stumpo has been a female homebuilder with a passion for design, a mastery of detail, and a commitment to her crack.
Speaker 2: With daughter Samantha Stumpo by her side.
Speaker 3: I don't need my whole family on a date with me.
Speaker 4: That's a good note.
Speaker 3: It's goddymn weird.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 1: Stumpo Development is the only second generation female construction company in the country.
Speaker 5: You're crazy, You're a wacko, You're insane. I mean, it just doesn't end together. Cindy and Samantha welcome guests to explore the world of construction, real estate, development, design and more.
Speaker 2: Unpredictable. Every time I think I know what you want, you'd switch it out. But that's what makes sure houses.
Speaker 1: All Udy discuss anything that happens between the roof and the foundation.
Speaker 2: Nothing is off limits. You truly do care about everybody.
Speaker 6: She can yell at, you can scream, but when you get her alone, she's the best person on the planet.
Speaker 1: Cindy Stumpo is tough as nails.
Speaker 4: And welcome to Cindy Stumpo Chapa's Nails on WBZ News and I'm in a studio to night with Samantha. Who else in the studio with us?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You tell me, I don't know. He's some actor. Do you have a name.
Speaker 3: He's really pretty eyes.
Speaker 4: He's a good looking guy. Pretty eyes, pretty pretty eyes, A good guy.
Speaker 2: I'm James Michael Commings. That's what my mother would like me to say.
Speaker 4: So say, okay, so your mother wants you to say James, that's right. And you're now in your fifties, that's right. And mom hasn't said, okay, your your name is Jimmy Lake.
Speaker 2: Well, no, she hasn't talked to me a long time because I'm punishment.
Speaker 4: Actually, oh you're a punishment. I know that to him? Why the mother's punished sons?
Speaker 3: Your mother Gemini?
Speaker 2: My mother is I don't know what is June twenty.
Speaker 4: First Gemini Gemini?
Speaker 3: Wow, I was good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a good one, Sammy. I liked that one. Give me a fist pump boom. When's your birthday?
Speaker 2: April twentieth, No, he's not.
Speaker 3: He's the first day of Tauris.
Speaker 4: Oh you're the bull.
Speaker 3: April nineteenth is a lest all right?
Speaker 4: All right, So Jim you grew up.
Speaker 2: With well, actually grub in Hyde Park, going to South Boston. Yeah.
Speaker 4: For people that don't understand Boston, I'll always explain this.
Speaker 2: Okay, wells is actually twenty one neighborhoods, really, and you need to go in from that. My Boston is actually eighteen numbers, eighteen neighborhoods annexed in to what twenty one neighborhoods, including Austin and Brighton. And the reality is is that everybody's battling for who is from Boston, right exactly?
Speaker 7: Yeah, but well, because nobody says everybody from Massachusetts just says Boston.
Speaker 2: No, everybody from like you can be outside of Massachusetts here to say.
Speaker 4: I'm from Boston. Yeah, but we never say Massachusetts here now right, we always say we're from Boston. People say Florida, Texas, Cali. We just go Boston, like we expect everybody to know where boston's, but we do. Everybody does know where Boston's.
Speaker 2: Well, I've come to the conclusion after being everywhere, that we're number one.
Speaker 4: We are number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean listen to they're better, they might look better, they might smell about it, they think the picture might be better. When you're standing here, it's better than I I'll.
Speaker 4: I mean you don't like Lellow land in La.
Speaker 2: I like it when my friends are with me and I'm at the beach and I forgot about things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then you like La.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all least. It's a hard place because you know, like in Cheers, like that the song with Everybody Knows your Name, it's like you're in a place where I went supposed to know your name, right, and it's just Boston. No roots, yeah, no.
Speaker 4: Roots, no roots, no roots. So when you land back in Boston have to be in a way you like. I like my dirty water, and I like my gray, and I like our asphalt and not it's bright and sunny. But it's Boston, right.
Speaker 2: You know what happens to me as I'm coming in, As I'm landing in, this has been going on. Let's see. So I left home when I was twenty years old. I moved to New York City. When I come home, it's as if all it's like I'm going down a tunnel and all these doors and windows are flying open. That's what it's like for me. And I was I come home. I remember because I look out the window, I can actually look down and see neighborhoods, where I know, you know, and it's but you can't even think about that a fathom it when you're getting on the plane, you know. So it's like the opening of the windows. It's like the unpaling of Bananda. Your entire life is opening. Because I've lived in Boston for twenty years. I've lived outside of Boston for thirty six years. I have a bigger life in Boston I've ever had outside of Boston. But I have a bigger like career and things that I could have ever imagined if I had stayed in Boston.
Speaker 4: But your family's here. My entire family's here, and you're the only one that left.
Speaker 2: Actually no, my brother Tommy left. He moved to New York. When I went to New York City, my brother Tommy had gotten into he had gotten a job. He graduated from Woosteron poly Tech and he got a job in New York. He's smarter than me. He's a Left East cheerslo and he hustled me and got me to go to Queens for like the first because it was next to his birth it was next to his work, right, And I was like, yeah, we'll start out there. It's cheaper, you know what, I mean, but the reality is is my life in New York didn't start until I moved into New York City and that was, you know.
Speaker 4: After like six and mom's still in Selthie.
Speaker 2: My mother is actually in Hyde Park. No different. People always say it like, you know, I've worked everywhere, you know growing up.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 2: I've worked and worked at the Boston Garden. But you worked in Dorchester and I was a dor man at the Emerald Dial for Eddie Regal and I did that for me. It's sixteen to nineteen. And that's directly, I would say, between my mother's door and my grandmother's door.
Speaker 4: We all, we all worked the nightlife business at some point. Yeah, we all did.
Speaker 2: You have to.
Speaker 4: We did, made us, grounded us, and we had a hustle and grind.
Speaker 2: Were doing that while you were working.
Speaker 4: When you were I was doing this fad nightclubs in Boston. I was doing it seventeen years old. Yeah, yeah, the real.
Speaker 2: World, Lord Bonnberry's I worked there and I.
Speaker 4: Never had a drink in my life. Go figure that when I'm talking to it.
Speaker 2: You're irish, right, I haven't drank a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not going to penetrate you, but no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I understand it.
Speaker 4: No. Actually the Irish kids had hollow legs like the booze just went right down. Yeah, but it was absolutely it was great. Okay. So today you are a filmmaker an actor, yes, and you have a movie coming out. Yes, let's talk about it so you can still look amazing.
Speaker 2: It's called The ware Wolves Where Wolves is being directed by Steven C. Miller.
Speaker 4: Your cheers too, how you know you can lower it right? Just get yourself comfortable.
Speaker 3: Right hand, a little further down.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you that might be something else. Okay, it might be too low now, okay, actually let.
Speaker 2: Me let me be right here, because then I can feel like I'm talking to the teacher.
Speaker 4: If you come in my office, my cheers like this and everybody gets in front of my desk is down lowly that I'll sink into. You're sinkings.
Speaker 2: It's like the movie.
Speaker 4: It's like a superior Okay, go ahead, okay, so.
Speaker 2: Let's see where Wolves Where Wolves is.
Speaker 4: It's an action by the way, let me kicking. I watched a trailer trailers. Cool, yeah, very.
Speaker 2: Cool, very lucky. You get lucky man, because you know you can make a movie and no one picks up, and you can make a you can make a movie, and you can make a great movie. Make a trailer, you know things happen the trailer. Yeah, because that was a movie, I swear so I was actually the first. The movie stars Frank Grillo. Frank Grillo is in a show called Kingdom.
Speaker 4: So I had Jonathan Tucker here. Yes, I love Jonathan. He's another Boston boy, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did Sitting on the Hill together.
Speaker 4: Oh you did sit on the Hill together. I didn't catch that, Okay, I gotta.
Speaker 2: See city on hill.
Speaker 4: What I did.
Speaker 2: I I was the boss of his gang. I was the guy who met him on the stairs.
Speaker 4: You were okay, that's crazy. So when Tucker came in, you know, he looked nothing like Kingdom. Right. Jonathan's a cute guy. He's got his baseball cap, he's got his whole you know, yoga, freaking there on the floor, having a great time. And I've stayed in touch with Jonathan. That was like my buddy. And but he looks like he was the guy hated in that movie. Right, yeah, because he's like the crappy brother, right yeah, and you like the good brother. You don't like the crappy brother, right, and he's like nothing, like just totally look different. You know. They played the pot for him.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 4: And sometimes as certain characters, you decide I'm not gonna like you anymore because I don't like that character, right, And that's what happens. Grillio is amazing. He's amazing. I think it's a good looking dude. I think he's got everything that he needs out there. And he's above you in this movie. Right, you're a co host, he's.
Speaker 2: He's the star of the film. I'm his co star, co.
Speaker 4: Star, co host.
Speaker 2: I thought were sorry, Yeah, you know, it's funny. I guess in the movie we were in the Service together and he was my captain at one point, and now obviously we're out of the Service. And the movie is that, for the first time ever, the moon is going to come the closest to the Earth. So they have this a big night. Everyone's gonna go out, they're gonna look at the moon. But something happens that no one expects, which is six hundred people turn into were wolves and they begin.
Speaker 4: So what do you call this a sci fi? What kind of movie is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's a it's an action sci fi thriller monster movie. Right, it's it's a were wolf movie. There really aren't many of them. I mean, this is what it is. Like, what's the name of that movie. Werewolf of London. Yeah, Wolf of London, and then Wolf of Jack Nicholson. And then you know True Blood, Right, my buddy Joe Man Yellow plays that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which Joe. I've been in Joe's company many times. Another good guy. But what has Joe been doing since I just left?
Speaker 7: Well, True Blood series, then there was Vampire Diaries series.
Speaker 4: So all those guys Like, so I had a TV show on HG TV, So we all have to go to events. Yeah, so we all end up together, you know, at casino somewhere. Yes, but it's Fox with's Mohegan this place, that place, and everybody kind of gets to know everybody. And that's when I met him. Oh, we'll go, okay, we're gonna go to break. I'm sitting stumbling and listening to tu His Nails on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 6: Will be right back, sponsored by Floor and Decor, National Lumber and Village Bank.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back and send stuff on Toughest Nails on w b Z and I got Sammy.
Speaker 2: And I got who James Michael coming.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know it's gonna be all Aerosmith right of Boston because yeah, number one not better bands.
Speaker 2: I work with Chuck late bellar right now. He manages Stephen Tyler.
Speaker 4: Okay, he lost his voice. I'm very said about that.
Speaker 2: Is it gone?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's done. He canceled the tour.
Speaker 2: Wow that I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Yep, they had to cancel the tour. So Perry's going out, but he's done. Perry's going out with somebody else. So I think the band has finally me come on, tell us how old now? Seventy one?
Speaker 2: Oh, it looked like he was having a baby last time I saw him, and like the Inquirer, it was like a picture with big yeld belly right now. I was like, wow, man, But.
Speaker 4: When you think about them, they all look great for their age.
Speaker 2: No. But the thing is is like this dude like lived it right, So he's.
Speaker 4: Like he's he's lived twenty two thousand lives that guy, he's seventy six? Seventy six? And how old is Joe Perry? They got for Google?
Speaker 2: So my buddy Chucky every year Stevens tiles each chuck, you want to go stay up? Why fun it my place for two weeks? He gives him his place, and why every two weeks like once a year.
Speaker 4: I forget who they started with the manager for that Inturno Tom. It's in the song too. Shoot, I can't remember. It'll come to me. That's called the menopause moment.
Speaker 2: Do you have those?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah all the time?
Speaker 2: Really? Oh yeah, like it's forty years old. You look at your daughter, you like sisters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's sure. Actually I'll say that to everybody. You know that guy and they'll go, what guy, Citty, you know, the guy with the brown eyes, And they'll go, can you give us something more? Yeah? Yeah, brown eyes And he's got like eyebrows that look like this, Yeah, can you give us something more? No dimples? Does that help?
Speaker 3: I might be the only person you can like half text something and I know.
Speaker 4: What you're doing. It's called Jimmy, it's called to you mean, it's called sitting language. Okay, how long you've been in the entertainment industry?
Speaker 2: Thirty five years, thirty six.
Speaker 4: Years, that's a long time.
Speaker 3: Would you have done anything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I started out. I mean I was. Yeah, it was about as a cabinet maker, carpenter. That was a cap. I was a licensed HVAC technician where.
Speaker 4: Generally to come work with me.
Speaker 2: That's why maybe I will actually because uh, you know, I'd rather be building something, right, you're out building something always, but digitally it's a whole different world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but in Betree movies and you can come back to your real roots. I want and do what you do best. So let's list what you've been in to do?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, okay, what have I been in? A man? Well? Listen? I wrote and I wrote with David mclough from from South from Boston the movie southis Yeah, Sonny Bahlberg, Rose mcgona to sale. What else have I done?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Then I did, Uh, I can't even like honestly, Okay, let's talk about it. So then we did, uh, what do out to?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: Actually? Got to tell you? Let's I don't even know a gray lady. H City on the hill, City on a hill, Yes, city on it.
Speaker 4: Do you have to remind you want me to remind you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you actually do. Because you know what's really funny. The minute I do something acting wise or whatever, I have to forget about it because.
Speaker 4: I understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 4: I have to. So when I'm off to the next fifteen ultra high ind houses and they'll say, Cindy, I got to forget that that's in the very view mirror. I just got to keep because you got to concentrate on the new part that you're playing.
Speaker 2: You just got to forget about. Like you do everything you can to get get done what was in front of you, and it's better to forget about it.
Speaker 4: How do you forget about the sixth Sense?
Speaker 2: That was a great movie, That was awesome, That was an awesome experience.
Speaker 4: You know, I was all screwed up that whole movie. Really, I did not know he was talking to nobody that was a dead person. Wow. That one blew my mind. At the end, what do you talk? Why are you looking at me? You knew he was talking to a dead person.
Speaker 7: I mean he kind of kind of put you kind of like get it as he's going.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: I read it. So this is how that movie happened. So, like Donnie Wallberg and I were working on a movie up in camp of them and he he we had read the script. I wrote like, this movie's unbelievable. He wanted that part. And we had one day off. We were doing out taking a Pelham one two three, and we had one day off and the director Knight m Night shyamalha is meeting people down at forty third and Broadway and he was like, dude, I think we should go to the I'm going to go, and I want to I want to audition for this, so we get out of play mcanwe? He wants to audition, but he's older, like the director doesn't want him to audition, but he wants to meet him and talk to him. So he goes and meets some SoCs him and afterwards done, He's like, well, at least I gave it my best, right. But then about a year goes by and my phone rings and it's Disney and the collegue is they want to know what his quote was because I had paid him last on the movie Southie. I was like, oh kid, he got that part, and he got it. And then the minute he he was weighing, he's probably the best shape of his life when he got hes like one hundred and eighty five pounds, and then he just went on a mission and the goal was to make sure every word that he was reading off the script as if it had never been written, as if that really was coming out of his mouth. And that was the goal, and that's what they'll go with it.
Speaker 4: I did not catch it till write to the end. I thought the whole time Bruce Wills was alive talking.
Speaker 2: Because it was so well done. I mean, when he's sitting there, especially when the when when he pays the like when the check gets paid, exactly.
Speaker 4: Like you knew that, you know, it was a weird thing, like she didn't know that.
Speaker 3: You you you.
Speaker 7: Have to think that there's something else missing when that's happened.
Speaker 4: And that's what I'm watching a movie. Did you that it was a great movie. That was a great movie. Okay, The Fighter?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, put that together. So The Fighter was That was a movie that I'd started a new company with the business partner and she had the rights to The Fighter, but lost them because they had tricked Mickey Ward to signing something he wasn't supposed to sign. It was tricky, so then Mickey was pissed about it. You want to sign it? So I went up and I met with Dicky and then Alice and Mickey and then talked to them and Dickie's Mikey's like, you know, everyone to do this. I said, Mickey, I promise you, I'm going to get it done. So literally we took all the time, we put together a sizzlereal we just were about to lose the rights. I called Mark Wahlberg up and I said to him, buddy, you better go get these this movie. They wanted Matt to him, and they wanted Brad Pitt, and Mark Wahlberg's like, no, this is my movie.
Speaker 4: Anyone knows.
Speaker 2: And he took it. Yep.
Speaker 4: He did very competitive out there. Huh.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you gotta if you want something, you have to go get it otherwise someone else is going to get it for someone else.
Speaker 4: So when Macky gets something over Brad Pitt, what what's that like afterwards?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's the them. I don't think it's like that. I think for them, everything's like you want to chief.
Speaker 4: He had a Okay, if you had side who holds a little bit of a higher position, Wahlberg.
Speaker 2: Or Pitt, because he's he's Brad Pitt, Like you know, Mark Wahlberg. At the end of the day, it's like, you know, he's Mickey Ward right, like he's a fighter. He he's that guy. He's got that locked right. But it's like, you know, you got Brad Pitt. The dude's like six one. I mean, if you have seen some dress, we've seen him in person. Yes, it's like him and Sydney Crawt, like wait a minute, like this dude might be the prettiest boy I ever seen. That's the prettiest girl I was.
Speaker 4: Seeing, Like you know, yeah, he's definitely a pretty boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But for a while there was getting like Jowels, we must have some work done because he was losing some looks there for a while. And then he pulled it back and then we got like guys like Tom Brady some ruds to it. So guys have all the luck?
Speaker 2: Are they all doing it?
Speaker 4: They're all doing it. Everybody's doing it except me. I have it and my drops it look like a head stroke, so I can't have.
Speaker 2: Anything in my eyes and metal drop and you look great.
Speaker 4: You listen, when men get too much plastic surgery and stuff, look at they look at John of Bolts.
Speaker 2: Like you can't tell I've gotten any have you got? I haven't gotten any.
Speaker 4: But that's why you can't tell.
Speaker 2: But John Jabold, I've met him many many times, and.
Speaker 4: He ruined himself.
Speaker 2: Like you know what's weird? His hair pieces are so good. They are because when I see him, I can't tell he hasn't. But then we see him without it. I can't believe he has no hair.
Speaker 4: Just go get transplants body, Like, why do you have to? I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe he likes the idea of making up, getting the makeup on.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Such a handsome young kid, right, he was the best. My fans say has got the greatest, saying it doesn't matter how you start and how, it's how you end, right, So I'd rather get better looking with age and go the other way.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because some people.
Speaker 4: Go like, whoa you have back to a high school reunion? Yeah, and the pretty girls are not pretty anymore and the ugly girl you go, what the hell happened? Like how that happened? Right?
Speaker 2: That's with everyone?
Speaker 4: Do you go back to your uns? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do?
Speaker 4: You keep your Boston tized?
Speaker 2: I actually, what's odd? I think this is an odd thing about me. I actually remember everybody, so when I see them even though they look like, hey, what's up? You know I could say some names right now.
Speaker 4: It's really the reason why they wear labels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to look at it.
Speaker 4: Don't look like the way they look. Do you think you look like the way you look back? And then no?
Speaker 2: Really no, Well, you know it's funny. I'd seen there was a girl. I have a cousin, Denise from Salvi, and she like she had invited me to her house down the cape. So I'm hanging out and there's a girl that I'd say. When I was twenty years old, I used to always like hook up, like makeout all the time. Where we go. So I show up and we're sitting there, we're talking to us Jimmy, I go, yeah, She goes, she noticed she looked very different from you did when we were younger, and I go, actually, no one's ever said that to me before, but I guess I look different. So like that's what she had told me, and who believes her? Well, I don't know she said it to me.
Speaker 4: I gotta be honest, I don't look that different from my high school graduation picture. So when I don't even have to wear stupid thing, they don't.
Speaker 2: You know, I could put a picture right now, and I'm fourteen years old. I think I look at dynical exactly the same.
Speaker 4: I can see if you're fourteen fifteen. I tilling to go all those scoofy stages and everything, but then we come back then by eighteen.
Speaker 2: Come on, I want to show you one picture. That's great.
Speaker 4: You grab a picture. I'm going to break you. Listen to Sydney Stuff on Tuba's Nails on WBZ.
Speaker 6: We're being Ripe sponsored by Pillow Windows of Boston. Next day, Molding and Kennedy Carpet.
Speaker 4: Boy became Welcome Back to City Stubboar tap his nails on w b Z. I'm here with my beautiful blonde daughter, Samantha co hosting with me.
Speaker 3: She's very happy that I'm blonde.
Speaker 4: Now. Oh god, she went she went to doc. I'm like, you need to like stop. I went like black, ridiculous. She was a blonde and she went, diy to hear black. You look like a girl from me spostor, like get that hair off your head, like it's okay for you to do it, yeah, because like yeah, but you're just blonde. You're my blondie.
Speaker 3: Torture me to go back to blonde.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did, and she went back and everybody then told you the truth. Most people went to No, it's still divided. They're still debating over all this streaming. This is a mother and a daughter thing. Okay, yep, And Jimmy's acting. He's going to stay out of it because you're going to lose. And she's pretty born absolutely Okay, see Jimmy will beautiful blonde. So I have a question. I'm just finding out now that Jimmy is your brother. Danny Danny, I'm sorry, Danny, Dane Dumming, my brother. Danny's your brother. They came in with Knight.
Speaker 2: Christopher Knight.
Speaker 4: Tell me that story because now I'm starting to put all the pieces together.
Speaker 2: Christoph Knight's a friend of mine. I had met him through uh.
Speaker 4: You know, we all watched him on the Brady Bunch.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, that's what I mean. It was funny when him and I met, you know, and we became pals. Like time had passed and my brother Dan had broken his neck. And to be honest with you, it was like I was raising like twenty five grand a month for like a year, and it was killing me because we couldn't afford the salaries at Journey Forward anymore.
Speaker 4: And we'll explain to listen is what was Journey Forward?
Speaker 2: So my brother Dan had broken his neck in nineteen ninety nine, he was nineteen years old, and I had just made a movie, the movie SOUTHI my career had really just taken off. And my brother Johnny called me it like I'll never forget. It was like I had wrote down on a piece of paper. I got this. Five boys in my family, two girls. My mother raised seven kids by herself. My father was killed when I was twelve years old in a car accident, if by a drunk driver, and.
Speaker 4: My mother, mom raised seven kids alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and my brother Dan was the baby. So it was like he's nineteen and this lady was about to get her life back, you know what I mean. And she really was, because to know my mother, my mother is a lot like like my mother's really strong. My mother retired from the hotel Union and she was like number on the list. She was gone for three months and they couldn't wait to get rid of her because you know, her salary. But right when she was gone after three months, they called her and begged her to come back because they couldn't run the place with them eighty years old. You know. So my mother is a total like you know, make it happen. You better not give up, keep going, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So she had a hardcore about her. Her delivery modis sack at times, but her intent was one thousand percent.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, you know. And what her delivery is is is as strong as any boy in my family. That's all, you know. It's not all my friends are afraid of my mother, but they all love her.
Speaker 3: Oh I know the feeling.
Speaker 2: But anyway, my brother, so he breaks his neck, and you know, after a while, you think, like you really telling him he's never going to walk in again, maybe never feed himself again. These are things that are you don't ever want to hear. And my mother kept saying, what are you boys going to do to help him? What are you gonna do? And I got to tell you like I didn't know what to do, but my mother kept was like an echo, right, and then it just kind of I'm like, wait, I raise money to make movies, like do this. I can do this. So I called a friend of mine. I was like, my brother, I got to do something for my brother. And and I went on this journey to help my brother create journey forward. And he had a vision and I didn't understand it by stayed with him because we're talking about an impossible situation. You break your neck and you're gonna some day be able to walk again. But we have, you know, we He dedicated himself, found a place in California. I had raised a bunch of money for him. He moved out there, and I went down to San Diego and stayed with him for a while, got him going, and I would get down there once a week because he would.
Speaker 4: This is all comic, just he was the brother that lived down the street.
Speaker 2: I remember, okay, yeah, and then all of a sudden he can walk and I said, oh dude, you can walk this walk walk with a walker. I'm taking to the airport. I'm completely broke at this point because I have like put all of my effort energies, like you know, trying to just help my brother see his dream through. So now I'm dropping the airport. I'm like, what's your dream in life? And he's like, well, you know that I really wanted to an actor. And I said yeah. He's like, but you know, I think right now, I just want to open a place in Boston like the one I went to in California. So if anyone breaks their neck, they never got to go that far away from home.
Speaker 4: That's right, because he went far away from home by himself, and you were living in California, so all I had was you and himself, that's right.
Speaker 2: So sometimes I remember one time I left his house. I would drive down to San Diego once a week and I would get out and wash his car, take care of all this stuff, right, Phil do everything because he couldn't. He could only get from the house to the car, the car to the place, right. So I one time get on ninety minutes, drive for four hours, drafting traffic, and then I get there. I reached in my pocket at his in car keys. I had to drive all the way back that night and drive all the way back so I had a meeting the next day. And you realize that that's what this life is really about, what family showing up and making sure that people get what they need, that you care about and that they care about you. And it's that's the crochet of this life. That's the inn't it.
Speaker 4: And all your siblings are close to yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, my brother Timmy died. He's he's between me and Dan, and that was like five years after Dan's accident. But that was devastating because that, like you think the worst thing can have asone break in the neck, but then a family member dies and you know, to go through all of this stuff. I actually think that my like, you know, all there is is like God, as far as I'm concerned, good orderly direction, it's gonna happen. You gotta do the best you can to stay in line. And what I really believe is now it's like with my brother and with like my family and everything that we've gone through, it's just like anyone can get over anything if you stick together, if you stick together and you actually figure something out because my mother's idea. It's my mother that had the idea that got Journey Forward done. It's because she wasn't gonna leave son on this planet without something where he was going to be able to have something and his desire was to help other people. Well, she wasn't going to let his brothers get away without him getting that desire.
Speaker 4: So Mom's going, you guys going to help your brother.
Speaker 2: Whether you like it or not, I go like I would be in California and I'd hear it ringing in my ears. So I had to help my brother because I did, and I'd never heard from it. I never hear the end from my mother.
Speaker 4: So here you go. You go from being a Hollywood actor living, going down the red carpet and doing all the stuff with those dudes, but you're just a Boston boy.
Speaker 2: But I could never I could never go back on the red carpet after that happened, because I could never fake that smile again. I couldn't fait. I couldn't act either. I couldn't be an actor anymore because I could not the feeling I was having. I could not create a bigger one. I couldn't overcome the feelings I was going through.
Speaker 4: So how did you get the change? As this generation calls it in mindset, I say, how'd you bring? Well?
Speaker 2: I think that we're lucky because we're at that, like there's a whole trauma generation now, right, But we actually we were the ones. I'll never forget it, Like all the stuff that was ever said to me growing up does not exist today. But everything was said to me that I had to follow.
Speaker 4: How many times you must tell you go play on traffic every day.
Speaker 2: Go walk off, don't come home until the lights are Stay out of the house. We don't want you in it.
Speaker 4: My mother one said to me, how come you never punish me? He goes, She said, why would I be punishing myself by making you stay home? Right? Like? But I'm not walking around traumatized from all this. Yeah, nothing, I carry nothing like. It was our parents doing their job and we went, okay, put your plate clothes on. I still want to know what the differences between play clothes the clothes I went to school in public school. I didn't go to a Catholic school to play clothes. You always play clothes.
Speaker 2: They were the ones you were last year that you can't wear at a school anymore because she they don't fit me. That's right, But they don't care if they don't fig it.
Speaker 4: Oh is that my play clothes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't care.
Speaker 4: Though we had to come home and put play clothes in.
Speaker 2: Right, You don't need to look good for the school picture, and we.
Speaker 4: Only need to exactly. How about our new corduroys walking through school the first day and making the noise? But there's something, and I guess people never understand unless you grow up here. Those roots never go away in our philosophy of how we are and look back in the day. If you were you know, we're almost the same age, and you came into a nightclub and you're from Southie and we're from Reva, it's gonna be a fist fight. Kids from the North End, It's gonna be a fist fight. But here's the big question. The tan you just want to go out, pick up abroad, do their thing, and you guys want to come in and fight, Like, what's up with that? I want to know all these years later, if you guys don't want to get picked up and get late, what's.
Speaker 2: Up here here? I don't know. I just think that, you know, And.
Speaker 4: The North End kids are going, no, I'm gonna ruin my poe Yester. Yeah, like I didn't. I don't want to get into a fight tonight. And then a fight would break out literally literally every weekend.
Speaker 2: It was like fear man causes fights.
Speaker 4: Fear causes fights.
Speaker 2: All seven into Peering Rail and I think you guys.
Speaker 4: Came and already drunk and just wanted to go to town.
Speaker 2: You know, we're fond of battle. It just it's that thing. Fond of battles to Boston guys.
Speaker 4: You listen to Sidney Stumpo on Top his Nails and w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 6: Right sponsored by new Brook Realty Group, Boston would Smaller Insurance World Auto Body and Tosca Drive Auto Body.
Speaker 4: I'm Sidney Stumpo and Sammy Brass back in. Come on, wake up over there.
Speaker 3: No, you can't throw that and be like I just did.
Speaker 4: No, no, she shined.
Speaker 7: I think there's nothing in front of me to even remember. If you know your name, you know your radio show, yes, and you know what ChIL you're on w BS news rating. Okay, ahead, now bring us Oh my god. Okay, I'm City Stumpo and you're welcome back to.
Speaker 2: What coms Tough as Nails.
Speaker 4: There you go. He did it, no problem.
Speaker 3: So his voice carries better than mine.
Speaker 4: So anyways, family is everything, whether you like it or not.
Speaker 3: You didn't finish telling.
Speaker 2: Me to it.
Speaker 7: How you re re wired your brain to be able to do this again?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh okay, well you.
Speaker 4: Don't want to act anymore? And then you went back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like, well what happened was I'll never forget it because I you're very lucky in life. You get very lucky, and it's your talents and your abilities that make you lucky.
Speaker 4: It's in luckers how I work to nascine them all.
Speaker 2: The same exact same thing, right, because it's you either working ferti or not right. And some people it lands in their lap, but that's their destiny, you know, and others you have to go for it. So you know, I think in my life, by the time I'm done, I'll be one of the great actors. It'll only be because I've lived through hell and I just kept going when I was burning, you know, And it's learning to be patient and through all of the ups and downs. So like when that happened to my brother, and then when it was time to go back, I get made an executive at a movie studio. I actually created the show Workaholics with the creators because they helped me win Sundance and they were my interns. So I was like, guys, what do you want to do with your life? And they told me. So we put together a sizzle reel for the TV show and we sold that to Comedy Central. So, you know, I don't know, I feel like I was born to do what I do, and it's because I grew up watching television and I loved it. I wanted to be in it. Maybe I wanted to climb in it to get out of what was going on in my neighborhood sometimes. But you know, it was a long dream and now I'm actually to the other side of it. And the strange thing is, it's like, as I was going on it, I used to go to New York and I could never call home because I couldn't afford one phone call. So I went like months without calling home because I couldn't afford it. You never quarter I didn't have a quarter man. I didn't have it like I was on I was a bike messenger in New York City. I had to like you were.
Speaker 4: Driving things on bikes, delivering them to.
Speaker 2: Loyal and everything. But you know, when she has asked me, what did it take? You know, I just I think that every single person in life is going to come a point where you crash and burn, and it's what do you do in that moment? Right? What do you do? You just have to know who you are and what are you're going to do next? You have to decide you're going to do the next right thing, whatever that's going to be.
Speaker 4: I just run into fiers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it burns it off too, just running burn it off.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got a different personality, right, every single person. So the days I feel like I can't do another day of this, it's another day, another day, exactly. I have that five minute pity partty partty for yeah. Right, so, and I'm like you, I lost a sibling of twice. I was twenty six, he was twenty eight on a sudden death too. So look, there's a lot of that pulls us back. But you gotta have that, have that firing you. Yeah, and I think that's one thing. Maybe if I grew up somewhere else I didn't have that North Shore up bringing it first, I might be a different person today. I think we will always love to be around real people because we do better with real people. We'll hang with the others. But yeah, it's like, eah, I'm hanging out with my billionaire friends and my mull time millionaire friends. Well, but I'm not talking about the guy that's worth five ten million. I'm talking about the guy that's worth six seven hundred million. Right, So you're almost a billionaire two a couple of grew up the way I did and made it big. But the ones that it's more generational. It's like, I'm doing it, but this is not this is not my shtick. This is like, I'm gonna do it for the night. I'm gonna go be seen and do what I gotta do. And then then you get to a point where it's like, I just want real people around me. It's like, how you know, I probably figured that out around by forty I was done. Yeah, Like forty I was said, I didn't have to run to Boston be see at this restaurant, peing here. I'll go when I want to go.
Speaker 2: Women are ahead of man. Because that was forty two, right, So it's like there's that it's at age. It's like because there's the growing up thing, Like you know, they say, et twenty one, you're a man, you're eating You're not You're not a manci you're forty two years.
Speaker 4: Old, you're not a man. So you're sixty.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I'm at sixty. Yeah, but I'll find out. But I'll tell you what. I'll call you on that day and tell you I gotta feel like one.
Speaker 4: Now he's a game changer. I don't know what is that number, but it's like everybody cleans up the rack. No one's everybody's done cheating. Everybody's like the greatest husband in the world. I don't know what that number is, but it's a crazy number.
Speaker 2: It's an even.
Speaker 4: But you think your number was forty two where you went.
Speaker 2: Okay, I gotta get mixed four and two six.
Speaker 4: Two six, So there's your sixty. See how fast your brangoes.
Speaker 2: That's how fast it goes.
Speaker 4: Were you a good student or were your shop horrible?
Speaker 2: Studentsense? Just getting around where I went, so.
Speaker 4: Like, wow's that selling Sammy Yah.
Speaker 2: Just had a good time through school and I at.
Speaker 4: The clock going, oh social butterfly. I loved everything else about school. That clock moves so slowly. Yeah in my life, Yeah, it's just a move.
Speaker 3: You still have still.
Speaker 4: I see one of those clocks at your school and I used to pick you up and I'm gonna avoid the clock.
Speaker 2: It's funny school you don't complain about like I went to. I went to Catholic school growing up, and I got the feet out of them every day. But I think that that's what was supposed to happen.
Speaker 4: Why did you lie that?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 4: What were you afraid of?
Speaker 2: No, a most precious blood going to grammar school. I think like they got you every day through Catholic school, right, And I.
Speaker 4: Used to be like, yeah, the kids, the teachers, teachers, Yeah, the teachers. Okay, I thought kids were all the.
Speaker 2: Teachers did, right. So then it's like I would say, with those teachers, it's sick. Who knows it's this, it's this Boston Irish Catholic and I have no idea.
Speaker 4: And they just hit you with with.
Speaker 2: With those long things with they have the pointers, they hit you with, the points, they hit you, the rulers, they hit you with books. Jimmy One likes to tell a story about how sister Child's Claire slapped me across the face of the book third grade.
Speaker 4: Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: No, he told it to me. I'm like, I don't remember that, But then as he tells me, I kind of remember it, I'm like, oh right, so like are they Oh yeah, so it Sir Charles. Claire was a little beast with like she dyed her hair like reddish brown, and she obviously we shaved on the sides and had her thing.
Speaker 4: On top comparents loved that back then because.
Speaker 2: They were more of them than us. They were more like you'd go to church, like it'd all be lined up, like we're all there to be a part of that, right, But you don't know that. Those guys are like, you don't know it till like you're older and you've been an altar boy and they just want to drink the wine. Right. Yeah, but then again, there's great priest.
Speaker 4: Molestation in Boston. I mean Boston was the biggest to go down with priests, which was very unstry. All they do is move priests around to different places. And yeah, today that wouldn't happen.
Speaker 2: No, today, that would never happen. And what you'll find out is that you found out about in here first. You'll find out about other places late. You find everything out here first.
Speaker 4: I just exposed the school a gym teacher. Don't even get me going on that one.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 4: I got my cat feeling knew it, and I just put into the school. You know how they have on Facebook, these schools, And I just put the guy's name in with question MYK, question MYK question mark, Holy moldly the stuff they came in afterwards that my phone was ringing. I'm like, what did I just open up? But I knew it. I've wanted to open up for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Right, I just worked in the business partner. He's got mold in his office, and I ratted him out, and I'm going to rat him out again. I hate people that he's bringing people to his office. He knows his toxic mold in there, he's positive of it.
Speaker 4: He's said people have come in there out, but he'd.
Speaker 2: Rather people come to his office then him go to someone else's office.
Speaker 4: Can you get them sick?
Speaker 2: That's right? Isn't that crazy? You get sick people do sick things, right.
Speaker 4: Sick people do sick things, right.
Speaker 2: I go to stay.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what they say.
Speaker 7: Hurt people, hurt people, and he healed people, heal people.
Speaker 4: I'm canceling, good person.
Speaker 2: You can cancel me. Just bring me back.
Speaker 4: I'll just pray. I'll break your face then cry about it afterwards. But no, I don't take anything. But I got a good hut. Okay, So you think you're upbringing in Boston made you a better actor.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not that, it's that I was dealing with things at age thirteen, or fourteen years old. That people probably grow fast here.
Speaker 4: So let's let's know that we did grow up faster, right, faster and most what'd your family say when you said I want to become an actor? They left for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mother didn't talk to me for a while. I got a great job, I was making a lot of money. I was doing well. You know, it's a tough thing. How do you go and tell someone you want to be an actor? It's so cheesy, it is.
Speaker 4: If my kid came to me and said I want to become an actor, I'd be like, dude, really, I'm going to support you for another five years, Like, what's up with you? Guys? Yeah, because that's how we see it.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I think I just wanted to be like everybody else. I just wanted to be like everybody in the neighborhood.
Speaker 4: And be a construction worker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so. But it's like weird, you know, I don't know. I love I love I love acting because it's the only thing that I can actually do that that you once you're done it over like you did it, you worked on it, you did your best, you leave it alone, and you never talk about it. Again.
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me how you feel when you're winning an award?
Speaker 2: That feeling I always I don't know because it's it's like that feeling of like did they just is that? Is this really happening? Because I don't think you ever do anything for the award. I think you do it to prove to yourself that you can do it.
Speaker 4: But you get the award. Yeah, it's a good feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you have a feel imposta syndrome? Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no? Every day?
Speaker 4: Every day?
Speaker 2: Well no until I say my prayers. Man, like I know that.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought we're going to break and I'm city stumbling with a tough of Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty rewrite back, I don't And welcome back to Cindy Stumpbo Toughest Nails on WBZ. Okay, buddy, let's go.
Speaker 2: Well it's James Michael Cummings. I'm back in the Sidney Stumpo Show, and we here to talk about werewolves, right.
Speaker 4: Yep, And you got forty seconds to tell eybrayon.
Speaker 2: There we go. So, whre Wolves is a movie, and it is a werewolf movie stars Frank Rillo. It is going to be the action movie of the Holidays and you will be able to see it at a theater near you. Universal Pictures were Wolves, come see it.
Speaker 4: Everybody, have a great, safe weekend and we'll see you next week. This is Cindy Stumpbo toughes nails on WBZ with my mute daughter. Tonight's Samantha Stumpo