Speaker 1: In the old Christmas run up, everyone's squeezing in those last minute jobs. Screw Fix are helping you play out Trudham with twenty four days of surprises to and wrap and the screw Fix app. Don't miss out on offers on big brands, wrapping new surprise each day. Screw Fix no stopping you only on the opper Permissions required, no purchase necessary for full ten c's see screw Fix.
Speaker 2: That I brought to you by Heineken zero zero.
Speaker 3: Get the facts, be drink aware? Is it drinkaware?
Speaker 1: Dot i e.
Speaker 4: He claims he brought the mullet back, his short shorts are a bit too short and he's nowhere to be found when it's his round.
Speaker 3: There's one Heinekan zero zero.
Speaker 4: But he's our best mate, and even though he's always banging on about.
Speaker 5: His dasts ninety percent past completion.
Speaker 4: There's no one we'd rather watch the match to the sports that bring us together. Heineken zero zero.
Speaker 6: It's time to unwrap vodafones best ever Christmas deals like the Samsung Galaxy S twenty five for zero euro all when you switch to bill pay with thee Ireland's best mobile network ten years in a row votaphone.
Speaker 7: Together we can.
Speaker 8: Subject to availability and switching to our twenty four months sixty five year old planned by sixty January twenty twenty six. Each April, the price of your plan will increase by three year O fifty per month best in test Umla twenty twenty five. For certification on full term, see votaphone dot I E forward slash terms GIA.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Jay Birds Show.
Speaker 5: How you doing great to be here? Bubba Booie, Howard Stuttenhall, I'm not doing I'm not gonna bomb the show at the very beginning. Now I'm doing good man. However, you been You're one of the most busiest podcasters, so you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm really working hard to make a fake job into a real job.
Speaker 5: Yeah se.
Speaker 2: Podcasting isn't like an actual necessary part of society in any way.
Speaker 5: But you know, no, that's wrong. Podcasting is vital. Podcasting is the essence the voice of the people nowadays, even though we despise and we hate the people. But you know, it's just oh, you're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: So but anyway, we're here to discuss something that we're actually supposed to talk about on the last episode, but then you and I got distracted and it turned into an hour long conversation about something else. Yeah, we're here to talk about what is in my mind. I'm pretty interesting underdiscussed film Phantom Threat. So, Gia, do you want to introduce it a little bit before we jump into the discussion.
Speaker 5: Sure, But before you do that, let me distract you once again by saying that was a great essay you did on James Lindsay that I read it this morning, and I don't know, like it's very you know what's funny? I think I think I know how James Lindsay got the idea that the woke greater maoists. Do you have to be an old head to know this? Okay? Okay, he got this idea because back in the Therminor Made Days. If you remember, I was I was integral p Well, I wasn't integral part I was one of the writers. We had the idea of of like the right wing has to read like Leninism, We have to read lenin Okay, that's how you win a sort of like cultural revolution and and the sort of and then and then Carl is bad. I think I don't know if he's around. Apparently he's still kicking around an alerker all but my good friend Carl's uh he also talked about this, and so I think like some wires got crossed where James Lindsay now believes that the woke right is like Maoism and Leninism, and I think this is all due to Thermoor magazine.
Speaker 2: So oh see, I think that is a much that you or you were being much too kind. I think that basically it is a much lazier thing, which is yeah, he has defined he has defined the term so that anyone he doesn't like is woke, and woke is inherently communist. So basically everyone I don't like is a communist the James Lindsay guide to discourse, and it's basically probably correct.
Speaker 5: That is probably the correct take, because I'm just I'm stretching it. I'm stretching my niche on my magazine. That was a part of way too in terms of importance of discourse. So but anyways, that yeah.
Speaker 2: So probably I probably shouldn't say this, uh, but I have not not Lindsay, but another one of the sort of anti woke right crowd coming on my podcast soon. Wow, And I'm really not sure how it's gonna go because I haven't really played my hand yet and I am genuinely interested in Uh no, no, this one's much dumber. I won't say who because it might happen, but and I was. I was pretty upfront. I was like, hey, I won't have a conversation about the woke, right, that's all I say. I'm not entirely sure how that's gonna go, because the more I dug into it. And that's sort of why I wanted to do a review of one of his pieces, because I was like, all right, like I make fun of this guy enough, and I know what he says in short form, but like, let's let's give him the benefit of the doubt, Like let's dig into you know, something that should have taken him a long time to come up with write a long This should be him at his best. I was not impressed. But enough about Lindsay, because look, man, if you want to get me distracted, that is a way to get me distracted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, OK, you're pro wrestling with me.
Speaker 2: So anyways, Yeah, so we're here to talk about the twenty seventeen film by Paul Thomas Anderson Phantom Thread. So I'll be honest, I was not super excited initially, Like I did not think this is a movie that I would like because it's look, it's a movie about a fashion designer, like that sounds pretty dumb if I'm to be brutally honest, but is really fascinating so effectively, just in broad Strokes, this movie is sort of a drama concerning the relationship between fashion designer Reynolds Woodcock Cyreal, his sister, and then Alma sort of the main character, a woman who he ends up falling in love with. Broad Strokes, this movie has a very fascinating discussion about the relationship between genius and a muse, and then also the kind of different ways in which femininity encounters and sort of breaks down masculine genius. I think there are multiple ways to look at it, none of which I think were exactly what the director was necessarily desiring to come to express. And then maybe we can get into this later Geoe. But I think there's a fascinating sort of like alternate reading as well, which is definitely not what the or the movie is trying to talk about, but is worth discussing. Maybe later, Well, I.
Speaker 5: Think that you said about female the sort of female energy hobbling in a weird way, the genius of the masculine. I can see it somewhat, but I see more of a reciprocal relationship there. I know we're getting ahead of bat. We'll explain. I think that me being like a land SHARKI and malest on the right, I think that there is a powerful phonic relationship there that is destructive. I will grant you it is destructive, but it's also sustaining if you But we can haggle over the ending of the film. So spoiler alerts, we're gonna get into a lot of spoiler alerts. But uh oh yeah, I didn't think that adds jail before I do my bit, so.
Speaker 8: Oh not at all.
Speaker 2: So in sort of the beginning of the movie, we're introduced to Reynolds. He his sister is his business partner at this extremely successful fashion house that you know, provides you know, addresses to the rich and famous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is an actual house, by the way. It's like, this is the old school style of fashion design.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And we see him, you know, when the initial kind of start of the movie with a woman who's sort of his muse and he's sick and tired of her.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He basically you know, ends the relationship and so to clear his head, you know, after this traumatic uh you know, breakup, and we see him throughout it being very much disturbed by in a social conflict, right, he cannot create under these circumstances. So he goes to the country and in a diner he meets this girl, Alma. He sort of falls in love with her, although what's interesting is that it seems that he falls in love with her more as a muse than as a romantic partner. Yeah, their relationship kind of you know Burgeons, there's you know, ultimately their relationship falls apart. But what's interesting is that their relationship is sort of saved by his sickness. He gets very very ill, and to sort of continue this process, we find out that she is she's poisoning him. This is much basically, yeah, it's Munchausen by proxy, so that he can sort of reduce him to an infantile level. They can bond. Because there's also a very bizarre relationship between our main character and his mother. We'll get into that later. And then apparently as the movie ends they have a happy domestic life and his creative work suffers. So big picture, I think that they're sort of fascinating. Three motifs, three distinct female motifs. There is Alma, right, who is a romantic relationship with Reynolds, obviously a very dysfunctional one. There's Cyril, his sister, who has sort of a business yet still feminine relationship. And then also his mother, who both teaches him how to so teach him how to create, and then after she dies sort of recurrently appears in his dreams talking to him. So those are the three primary female archetypes. But I'll throw it to you, Geo.
Speaker 5: No, that's great. That's a great setup because you have a very powerful feminine influence in all three of them. It's very similar to what me and a friend. I don't know if I could still mention his name, because you've gotten the trouble. Recently, we were talking about the films of Vincent Gallo and no, sorry I was talking about with him, but I was also talking about with my Frank Tino Corner his theory on Vincent Gallows the Brown Bunny, how each female he encounters is a Youngian archetypal mother maiden crone iteration of Chloe Savini's character. If you've ever watched The Brown Bunny, it's very similar here. There is a maiden mother crone distinction that the feminine serves as the unconscious shadow self, the anima of Reynolds. So this isn't the I believe the nineteen fifties this is when fashion was starting to change and where you had, like still you have like a lot of very high key designers that were doing a lot of private commissions for very rich and famous people, very rich and powerful women such as this one. I think the one he designs a wedding dress for is the Princess of Belgium or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it's the Belgian princess.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And which is interesting enough, isn't it implied because it's never directly stated. But Alma is not British.
Speaker 5: It is Belgian.
Speaker 9: Oh I thought it was.
Speaker 2: She could have been Belgian, but yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think because she has sort of a French accent. I guess I don't know anyway, I don't know anything about Europe. Sorry.
Speaker 5: Well he he initially is drawn to her because the actual actress what's her name, Kramps, who I believe was in a lot of other Paul Thomas Anderson films because a lot of directors, they'll recycle different actors and actresses. I mean, well, of course you know there will be blood. Right, was that that was Paul Thomas Anderson?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Oh, shoot, I should know this. I don't know anything about film.
Speaker 5: I believe that was also Pta. Yeah, uh with with with Danio day Lewis. Right, so Dania day Lewis, he's playing this fast?
Speaker 2: It was it was Pta?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so Dana day Lewis, he's this old school fashion designer. Of course, fashion is changing to more mainstream brands that are accessible. There is this sort of leveling of high fashion where people that are in the petty bourgeoisie or in like the sort of upper middle classes can afford different dresses by designers nowadays. We know this. I mean you have to be like, very very rich and famous to have a personal designer nowadays. Right, So this is still where fashion, this area of making serviceable dresses for special events. It wasn't exactly the runway fashion that's very highly adjacent to the art world. And so you have this designer who's sort of a dinosaur, and he's on his way out, and it's implied that a lot of his clients are going to more of these affordable, mainstream fashion designer houses or that are rather factories, like Champaul Gautier for example.
Speaker 3: This podcast is supported by The Real Real.
Speaker 7: You know what I love most about the holidays? Giving gifts, but not just any gifts, real gifts, thoughtful gifts. Oh my god, how did you know? Gifts? That's why I love gift shopping with The Real Reel. The Real Reel is the most trusted name and authenticated luxury resale and it's a holiday shopping secret. I'm going to let you in on whether it's a surprisingly affordable, pristine condition bag for your bff, a vintage find that's cool enough for the gen Zvre in your life, or even something you're impossible to shop for. Dad will love get used to saying I found it on the Real Reel. Seriously. With over ten thousand new arrivals dropping every day from brands like Gucci, Fendi, Prada, Louis Vitan, Tiffany and Co. And Cardia, there's guaranteed to be something for everyone on your list. Oh, and did I mention everything's up to ninety percent off retail.
Speaker 4: Get twenty five dollars off your first purchase at thereelreel dot com.
Speaker 11: That's therereeal dot com to get your twenty five dollars off the reelreel dot com.
Speaker 3: Did you know employers can gift up to fifteen hundred zuo tax free to employees in a taxier many of Ireland's largest employers Choose me to You I guaranteed irishowned multi store gift card accepted in over eight thousand retailers nationwide, including Pennies, Brown, Thomas Lifestyle Sports, Harvey Norman, Tesco, Smith's Toys, Applegreen and many more. With no ordering fees on purchase and easy activation. Me to You gift cards are the safe and secure choice. Find us online at meto you dot Ie me to You supporting Irish retail.
Speaker 5: And you have the house designer with the name He lives in this mansion that's of course paid for by a very successful patron old woman that he tries to make look beautiful. And he has an army of seamstresses. And I know this because my great grandmother was actually in the It was a seamstress and all that. So he has an army of seamstresses that handmake everything, and he personally sows the label of the house behind the dress of the Woodcock House. And as it progresses through the film, he's at his wits end with his one muse. Then he discovers the what's her name in the film the Crimps woman?
Speaker 2: Her name is Alma, Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, olmah. So then Olma has these broad shoulders, is tall, it's skinny, basically perfect runway model, fashion designer, like you know, fashion easter, right, But she's like she's working in this restaurant where she's a waitress. And immediately, like literally from their first encounter, she goes right to in fanalizing him in a weird way. And see she he orders this huge meal and he she writes him a note of her phone number in address saying for the hungry boy. Right, so you know what this is going to be about, even though he's way older than her. So then as the film goes on, she works in the house. I believe she has some connection to the to being a seamstress and all that. And you have to realize that when you are someone who is an artist. Those like little moments of creativity. They can come few and far between and when ordinary life disrupts them. This is what I found so fascinating about the film is that Daniel de Lewis played a very good creative in the sense that he's very petty and cantankerous, and he needs a silence and he needs that sort of on the one end of very reassuring and structured home life, but not one that can disrupt his flow. And so this translates to him being very like crotchety and insulting and petty, and and it's it reminds me of something I heard from a documentary on the famous comic artist Mobius. You know Mobius, right Jay? Uh? He yeah, yeah he Also this is uh he got famous because I believe was it Marvel that brought him on to do a Batman or a Superman Sorry, a Spider Man was a Marvel or DC that does Spider Man? I forget, which I thought was very interesting. But Mobius is very famous in his own right for his own series and it grew one of the best avant garde comic book artists ever. Right, his penmanship is incredible. There's this documentary that was made a few years before he died, talking about his relationship to his wife in one section where he said that, you know, it's very funny because a lot of comic artists, a lot of artists in general, it's almost like the wife becomes this mother figure where they're doing the taxes, they're organizing the meetings because the artists can like have time to play with his little colors and his pens. It's very much like a sort of consuming mother type of relationship.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, and that's exactly the archetype I wanted to bring up, right, be all consuming mother, because she does become that, right. She is literally later in the film poisoning him. It almost kills him right to keep him hers right, to keep him attached to her.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, And so she they have this like very relationship. And notice how one thing, I'll say, skipping ahead of the film, she has this vision of having a child with him and living a very like, you know, bougie type of existence. But throughout the film there's not a lot of physical contact between them. There's not a lot of implications of sex or anything like that. It very much is a standoffish muse type of relationship where to lower it to the level of being fleshy and visceral and vulgar that would have a profound impact on the relationship as a whole. So Woodcock wants to keep her at a distance. But when it comes to sort of like the more masculinized version of the feminine in the film, it's obviously his sister. His sister is his business partner. She's the one organizing all of these very high end commissions with like royalty and famous people and so on and so forth. She's the one that he confides in as an old I believe she's the older sister, and so she took the role of her mother in nurturing his talent, but doing it in a very strictly strict and regimental way, whereas Olmah's character is sort of the you know, the chaotic feminine. She's the agent of disorder because she has a lot of other needs that are not there as a sister. Right, So they have kind of like I wouldn't want to say that would the two like Woodcock siblings. I don'tudn't see that there's an incestuous relationship there. It's more of like she is the manager. She takes on a masculine role, whereas he's dwelling in something that is very feminine, which is the act of creativity in a very which has historically been a very feminine pursuit. Although a lot of the greatest fashion designers of history have been met and not necessarily gay men either, I mean a lot of them were straight, right, I know, like there is there is this one very famous model who wrote about actually the relationship between homosexual men and women in the fashion world that's in the fifties is very red pilly. But anyways, so you know, a lot of the great designers are men and so, but they're taking on the embodiment of what has been pigeonholed as a characteristically feminine form of art, right, although it shouldn't be. It shouldn't be. So he's he's going into this relationship with his own creativity. He's meeting this new woman and then all of a sudden there is this disequilibrium he finds with her in the house with the old man in the house, and there's this one scene where he's confiding in his sister after he's trying to create a dress for this very rich but very old woman. He's having a hard time, you know, of all the different scenes and everything, and he confides to his sister, I can't have her in house. I can't work, I can't do anything. She's ruining my life, you know, like typical like he's an old man, but it's like a teen angst type of thing, right like, And of course, what happens, the stereotypical movie thing. She walks in the room mid mid rant, and now she knows what he really feels about her, and so what does she do? She goes in scavengers for mushrooms in the forest, finds the poisonous ones and then feeds it to him, and he's like terribly sick. And now she goes from the intoxicating, chaotic maiden to the feminine motherly figure nursing him to health. Because what happens. He's trying to model for this, this wedding dress for this princess, and wedding dresses are very important this film. We'll get to that Jake. So he's trying to model for that. He's trying to construct this wedding dress. He only has a day left to send it off to Belgium. What happens. He collapses right on it ruins the dress, and so his seamstresses and his sister and his now girlfriend has to work the whole night to repair this dress. And well, sorry, they work the whole night. And well, Uma is nursing him like a mother nursing a sick child, very very similar to an Edward Monk painting. That's the first thing that came to mind, nursing him back to health. Uh. And and he's terribly still like he's delusional and crotchety and cantankerous, and he wore he tells the doctor to go f himself. And it's just in a weird way. It's it's very crazy and insane, but it's also beautiful. It's it's a very like I wouldn't want to say like it's it's like a fem clled fantasy or whatever, but there very much is like a very strong feminine fantasy. If I can fix this genius who is a creative genius, but he's he's like a lion, he's like a blonde beast. He plays by his own rules, and he's this almost like a Heathcliff character. He's a force of nature, right, But I'm going to tame him, and I'm going to break him down and nurse him back up. And so there's this very powerful feminine fantasy of engaging with a male artist of any stripe. And so in a lot of ways, it's a very beautiful film, but it's a very destructive film. And then eventually he gets better and that's when he's that's when she's talling. I believe she's a saying all of this in the film. There's it's interspliced with her her monologuing to a therapist or another guy or whatever, and it's a very beautiful thing where she's like, he's his most calm, he's his most loving, he's his most serene when he's on this like basically the cusp of death. And so the relationship between the feminine and death is very powerful in this film, because of course his mother died when he's young. His mother that he had, she had this beautiful wedding dress, and there's this one piece of dialogue between them where he's saying that, you know, it's very hard to do wedding dresses because a lot of models have a lot of superstitions around wearing wedding dresses where they say that if a model wears a wedding dress on a runway that they're never going to get married, or they're going to marry the wrong guy, or it's going to characterize their life and the romantic relationship in some way. And so he goes a it's very like a notoriously difficult to do a good wedding dress, right, but he's obsessed with the same design of his mother's wedding dress that then gets lost through time or moving or whatever. And now in the film he models this wedding dress off of UMA's character. He has this very rare I think it was Italian lace that survived through the war. You know, this is the nineteen fifties, so used to World War Two, and he like throws it on her carelessly. He's putting needles and pins everywhere, and he's sort of like trying to.
Speaker 12: There's so much rugby on Sports Extra from Sky They've asked me to read the whole lot at the same speed I usually use for the legal bit at the end, here goes this Winter Sports Extra is jampackgrips rugby for the first time. We've bet every champions got much exclusively life was actually from the URC, the Challenge Cup and much more. That's the USC and all the best European will be all in the same place. Get more exclusively live tournaments than ever before on Sports Extra jampacked with rugby. Whew, that is a lot of rugby. Get Sports Extra on Sky for fifteen euro a month for twelve months search Sports Extra New Sports Extra customers only. Stand pressing applies after twelve months. Fifth terms apply for.
Speaker 5: The twelve days of Christmas.
Speaker 8: Eurospa had for me twelve Christmas eleven cakes are baking, ten salmon smoking, nine.
Speaker 13: Christmas crackers, eight Lovely Jesus, seven sheets of wrappings.
Speaker 5: Six stucking fillers.
Speaker 10: F mins spies, four Christmas case, three Brussels brows, two turkey legs and the Christmas Night's super easy.
Speaker 11: Fine, you're super easy, supermarket.
Speaker 5: Like mold her in a way, But she resists that out of all of the muses he's had, that he's burned through like light bulbs, you put one in, you replace them, right, she's the only one that had this sort of phonic feminine power to resist his imposing masculine creativity. And how does she do it? She literally physically breaks him down to the level of a child in his sickness to do this, and he she does this repeatedly, and near the end of the film it's implied that he's fine with it. He takes the mushroom. He knows he's getting poisoned, but he does it anyways. And it's a very it's a very like weird relationship, but within the confines of that very creative lifestyle, you can understand in a weird way. And so I thought it was a very beautiful film, and it really has that the interplay between the masculine and feminine within a creative endeavor. And she then has this vision of having a child with him, and it's it is implied that they eventually do have sex and he she like totally just like breaks him down and builds him back up. And it's it's a way in which the feminine can impose upon this feral, chaotic force of nature that is male creativity in the artist. And if you look throughout a lot of human history, a lot of artists had this relationship and even when there wasn't, like if you have artists such as I mentioned Edward monk Ortulli's the track where they have a very like chaotic and destructive relationship to women, and they're like, you know, frequenting ladies of the night and all this stuff there still is. Ah, there was something that Robert Hughes, the great art critics, said a monk. He said to Edward Monk's sex is ominous and hateful. As a man, you either live in the humiliation of celibacy, being an insul or you subject yourself to the castration of the feminine. And it was like this very the polarity of the masculine energy being subsumed by the feminine. And of course Edvardmunk was into the early Scaninavian vitalist movement where it's like a bunch of men, you know, bathing naked and the sun, very sole broad ish type of stuff. But that they were doing where they were like the male if you look at the male bather painters, sorry, if you look at the male bathing paintings of Edvard Munk, you know what I mean. Where they had this like Germanic and Scandinavian health movement where a lot of men would prance naked on the beach and these like nudist beaches, and they do their exercises in the nude, and it was about this like solar vitality type of stuff, you know, very very like not feminine. But at the same time, Edward Munk had this incredible relationship to the feminine that yeah, was very I guess the modern you know, twenty ten's lingo would be toxic and chaotic and whatnot. But here you see with Woodcock in the film an equally destructive and toxic but yet beautiful and in some ways endearing relationship to the feminine. And so uh yeah, that's that's that's my little rantom the film.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so what do you make of because their relationship sort of has a two distinct crises, right there is the you know, the first one, which punctuates in her poisoning him first, and then they get married and pretty quickly the relationship goes sour and sort of culminates on New Year's yes, where you know, she gets invited out by you know, to go dancing with this doctor. She ends up going to this like horrible like gaudy, uh you know, New Year's celebration, and he comes to get her sort of rebukes her, which I think is an interesting element there. Multiple things. One obviously, you know, the reaction of the kind of the aesthetic or the artist to kind of like mass market celebration.
Speaker 5: Is just it was also very americanized as well. There was a lot of American themes in this New Years party, right.
Speaker 2: But I think it's interesting interesting as well, right that the element of you know, she acts out to force him to correct her. Yeah, she's almost kind of giving him some giant test to be no, I won't you would come and get legitimately like that's.
Speaker 5: What happened to Yeah, yeah, no, it is. Yeah, it's very like Patris O'Neil ask like when you talked about like, you know, Patrisa O'Neil for being like this, you know, a fellow fat guy. You had a very you know, attractive wife that he would talk about. You know, she'd be like, you know, you give her a little, you know, but they take, they keep taking. You got to stop it, you say, no, you got to stop you know, like you remember those classic Patrisa o' neil interviews. Right, yeah, you know, Now, not that I endorse, you know, I'm you know, I'm not about the whole like anti women stuff, but like there is a lot obviously like a lot of truth there. There's obviously a lot of truth there, like she's goading him and testing him, and it's just a simple fact of human nature, you know what I mean, between men and women. And there's this sort of like and it's very funny how there's a little subtle hints of the changing times because this is in Europe, but there's like this very like American esque and gaudy Years party, and so there's sort of like a commentary on the vulgarity of the culture that is coming down the pipe in this time after the war, and he's sort of trying to find a way in this new culture, this new mass produced culture, as a niche boutique fashion designer. And so yeah, then it's also with noting by the way that for years he resisted, I believe Daniel day Lewis is like he's supposed to be in his fifties in this film. For years he resisted actually getting married because he assumed that if he was going to be married, then he would view every wedding dress he made filtered through his own relationship to his wife. And so the fact that he was broken down to submit to bourgeois domesticated marriage is a very you know, that's a very important plot point that they would get married and that he you know, he essentially he does pass the test because he grabs her and wrestles her away from this this terrible New Year's party of gallantry and drunken festivity. And so well, what did you think of that part burn you mentioned about the shit testing, What did you think?
Speaker 2: It's it's really well shot, like it's it's a visually interesting movie, and I think it's it's interesting because we see this this sort of social tension throughout the movie, where we see both a social tension between you know, our character Reynolds and those around him, because, as you've said that, the times are sort of changing, and you know, he has this sort of uncomfortable relationship with this older, unattractive woman who is sort of nuvo rish right, very very wealthy, but very very classless. Yes, and he has made I think, like an absurd number of wedding dresses for her over and over and over again. Yeah, because he can sort of summon the magic to make her young and beautiful again.
Speaker 5: As as an artist, you create your teeth because she's paying you, so.
Speaker 2: Well, she's paying. And also, you know, he he feels as if he is lowering himself because you know, she is not only physically unattractive, so he is sort of contorting his craft to meet this you know, unworth vessel. But also he is forced to, finally, after resisting over and over again, attend her wedding. He never wanted to go, and he goes with Alma, and part of the reason why it never explicitly stated is he doesn't want to see her embarrassing herself in his dress. Yeah, and there's this moment at the wedding, and I think that there's there is a tension between the two party. So I guess three technically party scenes between the beginning and the end, because in this one, they together, he and Alma are unified in going to retrieve his dress. This woman has a.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: This woman has gotten horribly drunk embarrassed herself at her own wedding. He basically says, like, we're going in to get the dress right now. I don't care, like we're going to save my art from this. And you know, he kind of torpedoes that relationship. And so that is one way in which social class plays into this but also later kind of in between the first and second poisonings when they are married. Now we see this tension where you know, he is, you know, sort of rankling at the relationship. He's not happy, he feels as if he's been sort of, you know, tricked into something.
Speaker 5: He tells her that maybe you have no taste at all, you know, in that Daniel day Lewis dep was that was like, really, that was so cunning. You know, maybe you have no taste at all.
Speaker 2: There's a moment and I'm not entirely sure of the social connotation of this, just because I'm not really up on mid twentieth century European like party game practice, but there's sort of the setup where it looks like there it's kind of like a speed dating setup and they're playing i think backgammon or something. So basically it's a round robin, you know, you move from one to the other, and so we have back to back, you know, a conversation between him and his wife, which is very icy, and then him and this other woman, one of his clients, and it seems as if she is sort of this other woman trying to muscle to steal him away from her. Maybe who knows, but very clearly there is this class dynamic where she views Alma as being lower or under class. And that comes back around when we talk about, you know, this sort of wild bacchan alien celebration, because we see the doctor who she's not quite it's never implied they're having a fair but she is flirting with and.
Speaker 5: She has with him, she has eyes.
Speaker 2: Yes, that again, right, we see a lowering where that same sort of process of process of you know, like massification or social leveling that has occurred in the fashion worlds occurring here because it is not only just kind of the average hoy POLOI, but it is this doctor, right, some of his high class friends are now descending like to that level, and so when he comes toget her, it's this really striking scene. And yeah, there's a certain element of this which is the like the shit test, right, like no, I won't let you do this. But on another level, I think as well, it is like no I will like you, you are not allowed to. You will you are a representation of me, and you will conduct yourself as such, which I think is interesting because that is another dynamic as well, the degree to which the product of their work as both of them. You know, it is her wearing his art. And I think that that's an interesting development as well, that they it goes from being this kind of revolving cast of him and whichever muse to his one muse right, the person he is linked to. And I think that that's an interesting development as well, because before they're both going to retrieve his art, yeah, whereas here he's basically saying like, no, you are a part of me and you are not allowed to do that. I don't know, you see on getting at their geo.
Speaker 5: Well, no, it was. Yeah, it was a great scene because like they match each other's freak in that moment, you know, like they like that's that was a great moment because now she fully is invested in each other as an entity, even though he is the creative. I remember one time, I don't know if I should say this. I probably shouldn't say this to quote the famous geoism, I probably shouldn't say this, But there was this the guy to be fair that the writer's he's a good guy and I might interview him one day. But there was this magazine once that wrote about my artwork in relation to my friends Fenn and Matthew Stout and he said something. It was like it wasn't meant as like maybe it was meant as a job, but he said that like a lot of my landscapes are sort of like in the British context, there's sort of like a seaside seasider art, you know what these like seaside resorts in the UK, and like they have landscape painters Plannar painters there right, And you know, I don't really take any offense to it because I do quite a bit of Plannier landscape painting, and you know, I mean if they're pleasant or whatever. But I remember my girlfri read this and she freaked. She like, absolutely, this is terrible. I can't believe that he would say something thing about you. And I'm like, oh my god, Like I wasn't even that offended, you know what I mean.
Speaker 11: But this is the sound of a superpower we all have sending Christmas cards to our family and friends and making them feel loved. Who will you send magic to? Your auntie, your brother, your bestie living abroad? You can buy Christmas stamp booklets in your local post office or online with free next day delivery. Send Christmas Love from the Heart today on post send Love.
Speaker 13: At Central We've got amazing Santa Savors from now until the Big Man arrives, like Coca Cola zero and Die Coke twelve Compact six. You're a each Pus deposit selected O'donnald's christ Sharing Bags two. You're a weech and oyster based seven blanc ten year old stuck up at CenTra this Christmas CenTra live every day enjoy call sensibly.
Speaker 5: So I totally got that moment. That was a great moment in the film, right, But I think that in terms of a greater socio political context or a greater cultural context, the one woman that is a client of his was chastising his wife because of course he's not British. But then of course, you know, the whole bacchanalia of the Nearest Festival is this like American theme. I believe they even had the Confederate flag in Abraham Lincoln in this unstilts type of deal, you know, which to the British ruling class at the time was very like vulgar and New World and not very couth, right, But when it comes to the enclosing of that social system, the sort of like British higher class. I mean, obviously, you know they won the war against the Germans, but did they really win the war against America? You know what I mean? Like, you know, the America Kin's basically ruled the world after that point, you know, because of well we all know what happened, right, So I thought, like Paul Thomas Anderson, in a very slight, minuscule way, was nodding to I would say, a more mature aspect of that greater sociocultural commentary than this recent abomination that he did with the Thomas Pinkton short story what's it called? One soy after another, one battle after another, one battle after another, the recent Paul Thomas Anderson film. But in that film, it's a very good commentary on the situation in a weird way, right, Like these people they still maintain their class distinction, their class consciousness, but that class consciousness has suffered a great deal of you know, a great blow to their sort of global legitimacy. Right, And so it comes off as kind of pernicious to make that comment that, well, you know, she's not British. I don't know what they do in her with her people in Belgium or Germany wherever Uma is from. And it's a very like, you know, these people are kind of on the losing end of things, the way that Woodcock himself is on the losing end of a larger, more mass produced, more American driven fashion industry that now is coming from New York rather than coming from London or Paris. So it's sort of like the art world in general, that huge change after the war from Paris and you know, from Paris, Italy, the UK, especially from Paris to New York City. It's it's the same trend over and over again at this time. And but that's like, you know that that was like a side of the film when it comes to the ratio between them, Like as you pointed out, there is always she's trying to wrestle him away from what did make him a great in it's not necessarily that she wants to destroy his creativity, she wants to domesticate him. It's just like that that is an element of nature that in a lot of ways is necessary because it is true what people say, Like you know a lot of people men and women that are sort of bachelors or whatever later on in life, they they're sort of cement I know a lot of older men like this, by the way, you never got married or whatever. They're cemented in their ways, and they can become quite quite ornery in their disposition towards anything that smacks of like bourgeois domesticity. And so it's a very interesting tension there, right and throughout the film the fact that a lot of those tender moments comes at the behest of a great physical illness, and it's very cathartic in a way. And so but anyways, I've rambled for I've rambled for her to yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not at all. Men, what would you make of And this is not a reading that I think is super supported by the text. But just when I was sort of throwing around with some friends, what do you think about the reading that this is a narrative exclusively filtered through Alma talking to a third party and she's trying to romanticize her role in this.
Speaker 5: That's a good interpretation. I mean, sensibly it is about that, because throughout, like I said, throughout the film, it's placed with these narratives where she's speeling to this therapist or this other male figure about her relationship and she's by a fireside and she's gussing up a lot of these details, and she is creating this like very very powerful psychodrama in your head, and it is very like through her gaze in a weird way the film. But what did you think of that though, Like, what would your interpretation be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, I think that that's an interesting thing, that there is a there's a And I hate the term unreliable narrator because it's most often used in a very reddit context, But I think that there is a a dissonance between what actually happened in the film, like not what we're shown, what the events is they were actually supposed to have happened, and what we are seeing because she is interpreting everything in a highly romanticized, idealized version where her actions are redeemed after the fact. So for instance, like the scene where he voluntarily takes the un poison or the poison again, where it's like, Okay, well did that really happen? Or is that her romanticizing this sort of munchhaus in by proxy right, saying that oh, you know, he really wants this, which, again that sort of infantilization from the very beginning throughout the end. I don't think that's a necessary reading, but I think that that's an interesting element to it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely, Yeah. I wonder though there is an element of like with when it comes to much houses by products, there's an element of like Darvaux or gaslighting, where you convince yourself that you're doing this because you love this person, because they need it, and because ultimately their life would be better for it than not. But you're still poisoning somebody. You're still like horrendously affecting their life. So but then again, I think that you can't really pull a sort of how shall I say it, Sometimes it's necessary to suspend a sort of real world moralism when it comes to a lot of these films, when it comes to any work of art. So I wouldn't be too critical or to judge, but given the real world context of the things like this happens every single day, then yes, it is very like destructive and you know, abusive, but it's a very feminine style of abuse though right it's it's it's mothering to the point of destruction, and that is I think something that isn't you know, there's a lot of famous cases of course in the real world, like there's the whole Gypsy Rose thing, right, But it's something that a lot of a lot of people talk about. And I think Paul Don Sanderson he's very uh for as much as like his recent work is terrible, he is willing to go to places that are very like unp politically uncorrect, but portraying them a sympathetic way, like specifically a Magnolia with Tom Cruise's character. Right. So I think even though like nowadays we we view it as well, it's hall would And this recent film that came out is like Bryy Stellis is I have a green line about liberal mustiness. I think if you suspend any moral judgment, that does make sense within the film.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, and actually that's an element to it, I feel like it is. I was surprised to see a movie from this era deal with negative femininity so honestly, because a worst director could have very easily turned this into sort of a modern liberal morality play where she was actually completely morally justified all along. You know, then the sort of like bro minds you'd sort of expect from you know, woke quote unquote Hollywood. But yeah, no, he's sort of it's not entirely negative, right, their relationship is an entirely negative. But I do think it is interesting that he is very comfortable painting her in a in a negative light. And I think it's interesting that there are multiple negative versions of femininity, right. You see, the the kind of you know, vanity of you know, an aging an aging woman in his you know, in his clients, this sort of like backbiting cattiness. Uh, you know, in the woman that he you know, speaks at at the kind of like backgame end game. Yeah, but there were there's sort of a number. Uh and honestly, there are very few male characters in this book other than Reynolds.
Speaker 5: But that's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, what what do you make of, you know, his his relationship to his mother, like his mother, you know, while he is poisoned deeply ill, his mother sort of appears to him and then when when Alma walks into the room, she disappears.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: I think obviously there's a level of replacement there. You know, he's becoming his mother, both on a literal level as well kind of like a spiritual one. But what do you make of that scene.
Speaker 5: That was Yeah, that was another great scene that was very telling because I was thinking about this when we took a pause. I was thinking about this again, very similar to a lot of paintings by Edward Munk, where if you look at his uh lithiographs or his paintings such as The Sick Child, he was very sickly as a kid and he had he was consumed by these feminine forces, either through nurses or through his mother. And so I think that the film is very honest when it comes to sort of female power struggles and intersexual competition and and the modolo was thing of It was Coco Chanel who wrote this like very telling, uh screed about gay men in the fashion in history and how they like you know, make women look ridiculous. And there was always this like tension between you know, gay gay men and women. And I remember one time on Da Me and Prude, we had Catherine Dion and Katherine she was recently in the New York Times. I don't know if you saw that, Jay, but we were reviewing these three films and one of them was this film called Pig Hag about this this rather large woman and her only friends, these gay men, and at the very end of the film, she says, you know, my gaze have ruined me. My gaze have ruined me. But anyways, that's that's off topic. It was very well kind of on topic. But it's on topic in the sense that when it comes to Woodcock in the film, just by necessity, he is surrounded by the world of the feminine. His seamstresses are all women, his sister, his mother who died Umma. The clients that he has are women. They're very powerful. Women employ him. So he has to assert himself as a man.
Speaker 9: His favor at Druggi on you said Uliva Marta Valley Exula, I couldn't should their father staff heard to his twict months his fader l Range Trugy too, will you rudder? Organ will boil along when you know the.
Speaker 14: Two couldn't russ Thetavala Conto Marvine Twig Tomans Fijion Herdrogi is fed the hit passionary Augustini ele mohmul not toman.
Speaker 9: Firo on tour court at Rsa Ponkai the weeks.
Speaker 15: Before Christmas, I just take time to enjoy the present present shugar. This week at London's It's any three for five year across our pringles range gets selected seven up club or Pepsi eight pack can range just four ninety nine plus deposit and enjoy Guinness twelve pack cans just nineteen eighty eight and Carlsburg twelve pack cans just twenty thirty six plus.
Speaker 8: Deposit at Londo's.
Speaker 15: We know what locals want because we're vocal like you, enjoy alcohol responsibly offers end seventh of December in participating stores, while stocks last.
Speaker 5: In a very different way than men in relation to other men. That's why he becomes very standoffish and caddy and cantankerous. And so it's a matter of him navigating the world of the feminine because of the loss of that very maternal feminine influence early on in life. And he's always at the one end trying to find and I know this is like stereotypical, especially of male artists, trying to like go back to mommy, trying to like find a motherly maternal replacement. But he's also repulsed by it because he has to differentiate himself as a man in the world of women, which is, I hate to say it, a very unhealthy type of thing, right, especially if you're a heterosexual man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that's that's definitely like you survised it. Well there right, I'm unfortunately GEO gonna have to step out soon just due to real world concerns. But just kind of put a bow on it.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: This was really interesting movie. Uh, one that I was not particularly excited to watch because the one hundred percent honest this was a date night movie for me, and it's like, oh, come on, a movie about a male dress designer like that, that sounds awful. But it was really interesting, you know that there's a lot to be said about, you know, the relationship between the sexes, the kind of different forms that femininity takes. Uh, andry. I had to give my wife credit. She picked a good movie, so fair enough, but would recommend it. You can find it, rent it for three bucks or sale the high seas. But there's an interesting, uh, an interesting commentary there on both the nature of what it is to be a creative you know, what it is to produce art that indexes with the real world and becomes commercialized, and also with the feminine, you know, in both positive and negative, in kind of multiple different forms.
Speaker 5: Which which is literally the mother of creation the feminine.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, and so yeah, man, I think it was a really interesting film. I appreciate you coming on to review it with me. But Geo, if people want to find more of you, where should they look.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sure my link Tre'll have everything, like from my YouTube channel of Jenner Productions, Twitter at Genngo, Substack, Geo's content Corner, Telegram. I need to get more Telegram subscribers. Unfortunately I don't know Telegram's weird, but uh yeah, Patreon, Accompash one Productions, Telegram sorry, substack dot Com, Slash Geo's content corner. Every episode of content Minded is only five dollars a month, although there's different tiers of Patreon. But I'm also starting to get more into art videos and where I talk and I paint. I call a painting Discourse every Monday, and in the near near future I'm going to probably start releasing Patreon exclusive art videos as well. So but yeah, I have literally hours upon hours of content, and of course you know I have da with with Prude Credentialist Digital Archipelago every Tuesday night. And so yeah, that's just go to my link tree. That's probably the best bat.
Speaker 2: So well, sure thing, man, I appreciate it as far as my stuff, Jay Burden Show, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, anywhere you will listen to podcasts. You want to support me Patreon, Substack or gum road get the episodes early in ed free again Geo, I really appreciate it, manye.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, god bless that's great.
Speaker 16: Hey, looking for car insurance that's simple, fast and comes with a little extra that's red click right now when you quote them by online, We'll give you a forty year retail voucher to treat yourself to something special for insurance that's easy, insurance that's quick.
Speaker 5: Visit redclick dot Ie.
Speaker 16: Offer applies to new private car policies purchased until twenty eighth February twenty twenty six. Acceptance criteria teas and zas apply. Generally is Banu Desagoresi Race of course essay trading is red click in general is authorized by the General Directors Insurance and Pension PUNS in Spain and is regulated by the Center Bank of Ireland for consumer protection rules.
Speaker 7: The black Tag event is now on at curries. Get the Sony PlayStation five Digital edition now only three four nine save one hundred and fifty euro or save sixty euro and the Ninja Creamy Deluxe ice cream and frozen dessert maker now two hundred and forty euro. Curries for the tech you love at prices you'll adore