Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Hey, it is Deatrich Vader for Batman and you're listening to TikTok Radio.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de weirdt Slick, and I'm justin.
Speaker 4: Welcome to have you guys here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, welcome. We missed you last week, justin you were.
Speaker 1: In Viva Las Vegas thinking about Viva Los Vegas obviously did not win.
Speaker 4: Oh god, no, do you think I'd be here?
Speaker 1: Do you you remember the last time all three, well three of us, Sean, unfortunately, we missed you. It was during CS that we went to Vegas.
Speaker 4: I was doing do you know what? Do you know how much Vegas has changed since then? Really it's not even recognizable anymore to when we were back what was at twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, whatever, I mean, it's yeah, I mean, just so much has changed. Uh, you know when I was there the morning, the morning that I arrived obviously was before I arrived because they did it at like two o'clock in the morning, but they imploded the Tropicana.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna ask if you you saw them do that, or at least I didn't see it, but my co workers who were there.
Speaker 4: So I was there for a conference, the World Water Park Association conference at the Paris Las Vegas. But some of my co workers who had been there, you know, arrived the day before. They walked out there and at literally like two in the morning and went and watched it. They said, it was really really cool. But yeah, the Tropican is gone, and that's right across the street from the Luxor. That's that's where we were staying when we were there for ces. But what's going in its place? Can you guess?
Speaker 3: Oh? Is it gonna be a ball the ballpark right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the new ballpark for the Athletics.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you're gonna be driving down the strip and you're gonna have a baseball stadium right.
Speaker 4: There right there.
Speaker 3: That's that's kind of weird.
Speaker 4: And then you'll have the lux sore, and then behind the Luxor you'll have, uh, what is that Allegiant stadium? That really horrible NFL team that's like Tom Brady partially owns Now.
Speaker 1: Don't sugarcoat your feelings there. But from what I understand, though.
Speaker 4: Matt's not here, so I can talk about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go.
Speaker 1: But from what I understand is you're gonna get a great view of the baseball stadium from the lux Is it the Luxor or whatever hotel is there, or they're building a hotel.
Speaker 4: Well, MGM Grand is on one corner, Luxor is on the other, and then I guess.
Speaker 3: Ex Caliber, I guess. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think they said that the views are going to come from the Luxor because that's the taller of the two, But I'm not exactly sure how the stadium is going to be laid out. If I were a guessing person, I would think that they're probably gonna have an open air back and they're going to face the back to the northwest, which will then overlook all of the hotels in the strip. So like when you're sitting at home Plate, you know, or whatever, you're looking out and you're seeing the strip. That's that's my guess.
Speaker 1: Did you know when you go to Vegas, Sean, have you ever been in Las Vegas twice? Where do you normally stay that everybody has their preference.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't remember where we stayed because it was no It was off Fremont Street, Dishkow. I went twice and it was once was it was on my way to San Diego when I moved out there in twenty eleven, so I was with my mom. So as exciting as that sounds, right, it's like what was my mom? And then the second time, the second time I went, it was when I moved back from San Diego in July of twenty thirteen, and we got caught in a monsoon and more than like it was impossible to do anything, like our hotel had like a foot of water in the in the lobby, like I remembers, like we didn't we didn't have It was a worthless experience, like we went eate dinner and went to sleep. That was it.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, that's probably the best thing that could happen to you in Vegas to be on us, probably because I mean, but when I would mentioned that Vegas was unrecognizable, it is also unattainable. I mean picture this. I mean I'm staying at the Paris, which is right on the strip, you know, so so yes, obviously everything on the strip is going to be more expensive. A bottle of Dasani water seven fifty for a bottle of water. Yeah, for a pack of smokes, which I don't smoke anymore, but I just happened to be in line and the guy got a pack of smokes. Twenty three dollars no way, Yeah for a pack of smokes. Wow, It's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Didn't it used to be.
Speaker 1: I mean I remember going to you know, going with my my parents when I was a kid, and we'd stay at the well heck, I think we would stay at the Tropicana.
Speaker 4: I remember Sid Sanna or the Filamingo or the Sahara, maybe Circus Circus.
Speaker 1: I remember meeting Sid Cherie, you know, the famous you know dancer from the time period, and her husband was an actor at one of the pools, and it was just, you know, it was an experience. But one thing you could always count on that two dollars ninety nine cent breakfast.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It was like that is yeah, there's no way in heck you're gonna get that anywhere. I had a breakfast sandwich at the Paris from Bobby's Burgers, so the famous chef Bobby Flay. Oh yeah, yeah. Now, I gotta say the sandwich was amazing. It was like a brioche bun. Soft scrambled egg folded over with crispy bacon and like a thousand Island dressing and potato chips on the burger, right, and it was like sixteen dollars. But I'll tell you right now, that thing that was actually worth it. I mean that that that that tided me through lunch. I mean I didn't even have lunch, but I mean just the price of everything, Like I bought a Starbucks canned coffee that what is that double shot thing? Yeah? Yeah, nine dollars my gosh, you know yeah, I mean it's just it's ridiculous. And then try to gamble, Yeah, good luck. There's there's I mean, the minimum bet on anything you play there is fifteen dollars. What and that's that's the court of Spots. Oh well, I mean I down, yeah, I place. I play table games, so craps, blackjack, you know whatever, fifteen dollars minimum. And that's when you're playing at like one pm, when it hits like six pm. The minimum tables twenty five dollars, like per bet.
Speaker 3: I remember playing the two dollars tables, you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I remember I remember you playing the two dollar tables. Yes, Andy, Andy, you know what time it is Andy, and.
Speaker 4: I lost a couple hundred bucks, you know. I mean, I didn't really have a lot of time because I was there for a conference and we did the other things. But I made a little bit of time. I walked down go to the craps table, five minutes later, walk back up to my room one hundred dollars for But yeah, but here's the cool thing though. The room that I got, I don't know how I got it. It was booked through my company, but it was on the twenty fifth floor facing the sphere. Oh oh to see that, well kind of it was behind the Horseshoe because the Horseshoe is adjacent to the Paris So I only got to see the top maybe maybe the top quarter of it, right, But that's all I needed. That thing is so insanely bright, Like I had to close. I had to do the blackout curtains, and I thought, you know, I thought, no, no worries, this thing will turn off at midnight. Nope, no, three in the morning. It is still going strong.
Speaker 5: Vega.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I I wake up. I woke up at three in the morning. I look out the window and I see the top of the sphere, and just so happens at that exact moment was the big smiley face winking at me, and I'm like, I said some choice words. I can't see him on the radio, but I said some choice words at the sphere, and I went back to bed and I closed the blackout curtains.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't understand how they can heap are are going to be able to maintain the luminosity of the spear with the heat that they have in Las Vegas. I mean, we're talking about the heat that just does not give up. I don't know, Slick Sean, Maybe is there special because you work with outdoor screens and and that stuff. Is there special material that they have on this stuff?
Speaker 4: You have no idea to be money money, money, it's coded in money.
Speaker 2: They're they're gonna have to just they're probably replacing panels every day on that thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a special on Uh was it Times Square and us specially when they were putting up the billboards and all that kind of stuff Electure and they were talking about, uh, they literally you know, they have all these spare panels and have to replace them constantly, and it's it's literally plug and play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely plug and play. But I'll tell you right now, I bend a Times square and I'm sure you know some of you have too. I remember walking through Times We're in the dead of winter, and when those LED panels, those billboards would light up, you could feel the heat off of them. And we're talking led. I can't even imagine standing next to the sphere and what that would feel like, like the feeling of the solar radiation from that thing.
Speaker 1: You know, It's funny because in developing the sphere, I don't know, do you guys remember I don't remember any discussion about it, any talking about it. This is it just all of a sudden boom.
Speaker 3: It was there.
Speaker 1: You two was going to be the opening act and this thing was going to be able to change. And I've seen the yellow face people flying out of Vegas with the looking at them while they were flying.
Speaker 4: Well, there's there's you know it faces the golf course. I think it's the wind golf course, and it perfectly lines up with the eighteenth hole. And so what they did is they actually programmed the sphere to have the blink the smiley face look down at the eighteenth hole.
Speaker 3: Green oh and laugh, oh. That's great.
Speaker 4: So if you're on the eighteenth Green and you miss a putt, you look up, the thing's gonna be laughing at you.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it's pretty cool. One of the things you don't have to pay for in Vegas to see it. It's there.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeaeah, no, it's cool. But I mean, honestly, I mean, Vegas is Vegas, Vegas is is is It's It's like nothing I've ever seen in my life. I mean, Vegas is a unique place. And granted, they are trying to rebrand themselves as instead of the debauchery capital of the world, it's trying to become more of the family friendly entertainment capital of the world. And right they're slowly getting there. Yeah, but you know, you don't see the kind of stuff that you used to see on the side of the strip where they're handing out you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the night.
Speaker 1: You're walking, you're walking with your wife or husband and someone hands you a card. It's got you know, somebody's not wearing very much clothing to come see them at some club where they dance, or.
Speaker 4: To give them a call and they'll come visit your rooms. Yeah, I mean, like, yeah, you don't see that very often anymore. But still you still see some stuff like that. But you also don't really see the debauchery on the streets anymore, like people just walking around drunk or whatever. Like the police do a pretty good job. And I'll tell you the Las Vegas Metro police, yeah, do not look like police officers. They look like a military.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, God, these guys are wide.
Speaker 4: Around with full ar fifteen rifles strapped to their chest, body proof, you know, armor everywhere, tactical helmets, I mean, and that's just their daily ware.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I've heard like like last time I went there, last few times, I said, it's a stratosphere.
Speaker 3: Uh and you know, I liked it was. It was nice.
Speaker 1: It's comfortable skits down away from a lot of that activity. But I've heard like polics like Bolaggio and Venetian and all of that, you can go and not even leave that property, oh and have you could be fine, you know the same with the Paris.
Speaker 4: I mean, so so some of these, some of these places are actually interconnected because I mean you think about it. One company owns blocks, ye like MGM owns MGM. It owns the luxel Vally caliber, the New York, New York. You've got you know, you've got win Owns, you know, the win the uh gosh aria Y, you know other places, right, So they interconnect these places, so like the Paris is interconnected to the Venetian and the Horseshoe which used to be Bally's. And then you got like, you know, Bellagio's connected to I don't know whatever's next door to that one, but I'd tell you one cool thing that is actually really cool is leaving when we're coming back, coming from the airport to the hotel, they're getting set up for the F one Grand Prix, which they signed a ten year agreement to have F one in Vegas. So it is completely transformed the strip because now half of the rip is shut up, like for instance, the famous Bolagio fountains. Right, you can no longer just walk right in front of the Bollagio. It's a giant grand stand, a permanent like a permanent stand. Oh that's gonna be semi permanent until the half one leaves ten years from now. But you cannot just walk the strip and walk right by the fountains and go, oh look the fountains. No, because there's a like a four story grand stand that is semi permanently put in place.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: And in all the roads too, Like the roads they have the permanent you know, concrete dividers with the chain link fences you would think like that are getting set up for an F one race. They've got those everywhere. And so when it's normal traffic, normal day, people are literally just driving on the track that is going to be an F one track.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: For the race weekend they shut it down.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you coming up of course, got another CEES consumer electronics show put on by.
Speaker 3: The happening Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And they're they're already they're already taking pre redg and doing that all because it will happen in January of twenty twenty five. But when do we go We're going, right, That's That's what I'm wondering. I mean, is that something? Do you think it still serves a huge purpose to go to CDs that question? Sean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it does. I mean, consumer electronics aren't going away right, search Amazon for what you want now?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, but you think it's worth it to put your hands on these things and these prototypes and see this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do from a consumer. From a consumer standpoint, I mean, let's be honest, right, the Consumer Electronic Show is about networking, and it's about businesses getting their hands on the new stuff that they're going to sell out their stores, right, that's what CS is. But it's a great place for the tech enthusiasts to get their hands on new stuff and play around with it. And that's an invaluable it's invaluable, right, I think it's not as valuable as it once was where the information was his widespread agree where you had to source your information a little bit more strategically. Yeah, well, but now you've got you know, we're a podcast. They're a podcast. Everybody is podcast, right, So it's like everybody and their brother a podcast. Okay, everybody and their brother is a tech reviewer. And it's in the world of the internet. And even from the time you guys went back in twenty seventeen, whatever, how much technology in the landscape of tech review has changed.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you one of the best time, Slick. I'm sure you remember as well back and.
Speaker 3: Justin I think you were.
Speaker 1: Were you in San Diego in two thousand and nine or two thousand and eight actually and eight.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, the Navy in two thousand and eight went straight to San Diego yep.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so it was two thousand and eight for Cees.
Speaker 1: We were just goofing around with the idea and Slick said, why don't we try and get one of these companies used to give us a car to drive to Vegas yep? And Ford said, sure, here you go. They gave us a Ford Flex that we drove from from Tucson to They have somebody deliver it to my house and we drove it from Tucson to.
Speaker 4: And then what did you have to do in return? Just kind of like review it? Just reviewed it.
Speaker 1: I drove it to the TV station when we got back, and we showed the inside, showed what it looked like, talked about talked about the drive and.
Speaker 3: It was good. It was great.
Speaker 4: Can you can you talk to your boy Elon and get us a cyber truck? That's what I was about to say, robotaxi.
Speaker 5: But there now there are quite a few electric vehicles out there is we don't have to just talk to Elon. We can talk. Yeah, there's the one at cast A Grand what's a I'm trying to remember the name of their Yeah, they built am a castle grand I'm.
Speaker 1: Just saying, we can get a cyber truck though, and we could start hear me and Slick.
Speaker 2: I don't I would not want one.
Speaker 3: We could drive.
Speaker 1: We could drive to Indiana, pick up pick up Sean, then drive to Colorado, pick up justin, then drive to Vegas.
Speaker 2: He sounds like that sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's a problem with the cyber truck. Let's let's say we were parking somewhere we're not supposed to be and Elon finds us, you know on the satellites. Did you hear about him disabling that cyber truck?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Really, yeah, yeah, he remotely disabled the cyber Sean's as Google foo out.
Speaker 4: He's like, yeah, I want to see this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but this was I don't remember what country it is, and it's but it was, uh, some guy. It was you know, one of the military countries if you.
Speaker 4: Will, oh that it was the Russian warlord guy. And then what they did is they put a fifty cal machine gun on the back of the cyber truck and they were like, yeah, look at the new cyber truck. And it was like a Russian forces like the back vehicle, and Elon's like, yeah, that's a big nope. Yeah, like this disabled the car, and.
Speaker 5: This thing was Elon gave this to me. And Elon was like, I don't know, one, we don't know if he really gave it to him. He never denied. But as soon as it got out, like the guy Eli gave this to me, well, let me just turn that off.
Speaker 4: I honestly, I'm not getting into a war political discussion, but I think that's kind of funny that everyone could just be like, yeah, nope and then just disabled the car.
Speaker 3: You know what I think is really hilarious.
Speaker 1: One of the stories I've heard about the self driving vehicles and the electric vehicles that we've never really thought about. And there has been times, of course where people will get a car and it's just not all that, you know, not what they can afford, and time goes and they miss a payment here or miss payment there. These cars can repo themselves, yeah, and that they will basically if think about it, you know, if the person you bought it from or the dealer just says, well they haven't made a payment in two three, you know months, we'll repo the car themselves and it'll.
Speaker 3: I mean go home.
Speaker 4: Tesla's got that new feature. Now what is that actually smart summon But that is what they would use to if you want to summon your vehicle from the parking lot or whatever. But that but that also means that the car itself can then just go nope and go right back to the dealership.
Speaker 1: All right, So if each one of you could drive a vehicle to go to Vegas for CS, what would you want to drive?
Speaker 3: Justin? I mean you already have a Tesla, would you want.
Speaker 4: To I would want to drive a Tesla model S plaid.
Speaker 3: A plaid What is that?
Speaker 4: That's their top of the line. It's their best of the best, most luxurious, fastest, best.
Speaker 3: Car they of a you shun man.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I haven't been really following electronic car like anything pick anything.
Speaker 3: Hold In s s A Holden SS Really what is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, it's so Holden is really GM's Australian offshoot of GM.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so think.
Speaker 2: Of a lot of like GM cars in the US. They look like the same cars, but they're mate sold in Australia. It's their Va supercar basically will drive zillion horsepower right, but holding s want to Yeah, they made a version of it in the US. They made a version of the Chevy SS in the US I think in twenty thirteen twenty fourteen. Maybe didn't sell well, but like what making it? But that that's my dream car, like you have and you drive a right hand drive. Holding SS.
Speaker 1: Wasn't the Holding the base model for Mad Max's vehicle in the original mad I think.
Speaker 2: It was, I think, But yeah, so the whole the whole SS is or for a Ford Falcon or a common or a Commodore. Oh boy, I like the Australian cars. I really followed the V eight supercars.
Speaker 4: For a long time. I'm looking at a picture shot. Is this your car your dreams?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well, no, that's that's that's the ute version, right, there's there's there's.
Speaker 3: That's horrific looking.
Speaker 4: I mean it looks like the el Camino.
Speaker 2: It's probably the the ute SS. I have to look at that one.
Speaker 4: Well, that says the holding Carmodor Sorry, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's that's the Commoner. So the Commoore is like the al Camino.
Speaker 4: I mean that still looks pretty.
Speaker 1: Sick, but yeah, I think it looks sick as ugly. It's just that's horrendous.
Speaker 4: It's unique.
Speaker 3: Oh there you go. How about you?
Speaker 5: You know what I really did enjoy when we had the Ford Flex. I really did so either something very similar to it with all ticked out, with all the ports and all that kind of stuff, or if we could get it, or if I could get it like an electric motor.
Speaker 3: Home or something just you know, electric motory.
Speaker 5: I don't think so. I'm just saying, you're saying if I could, if I had a car.
Speaker 4: It would be even feasible with the with the with the electric fan. Well, no electric van, sure, I think they got they got the toyotas. I think they have an electric vanmaz A motor home though, would be interesting to see. But I think just with the given state of how big the batteries are and how much torque and power a motor home would need, I think you would just end up like being over the limit of weight to your wander thrust ratio. I don't think it would be feasible. Maybe in the future it would be, right.
Speaker 5: I just want a bunch of captain chairs in it, with ports and you know, satellite link and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they'll just get you the Star Trek thing.
Speaker 5: Oh you mean the shuttle, Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could fly it there.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things that sees it will probably see for twenty twenty five is the flying vehicles, personal flying vehicles taxis.
Speaker 3: Every year they kind of come up with a different iteration of it.
Speaker 1: We'll see a lot of electronic vehicles, you know, vehicles, we'll probably see I think this year we're going to see more technology geared at home entertainment that it's taking kind of a break in the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: Do you think that will be the theme? Because remember the theme that was going on when we were there back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Was drones, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: It was drones? Yeah, everything drones. Sean would have just been like a kid in a candy store.
Speaker 2: I was, even though I wasn't there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was all I was.
Speaker 2: I was. I was in the thick of it, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying is is, what do you think I think it's going to be a I.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's integration with AI.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I think we're going to see like personal AI assistance, like the Tesla one.
Speaker 3: Did that really happen? Did they really have robots walking around?
Speaker 4: No way, No, they were being remotely controlled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: I think you're going to see announcement of newer phones with AI. I think you're going to see advancements in whatever Apple does with their I don't want to even call it Apple Intelligence because I think that's stupid. But I think you're just gonna see, Like I think Justice is right, I think you're going to see a push on personal AI, personalized AI right, Like you can buy jat GPT and do more with it for the paid version, but I think you're going to get your own paid version that will learn more directly from you in your daily habits. And I think you're gonna be able to tie it into everything in your daily life. It's gonna be able to track you. It's gonna be able to automate. It's gonna be able to learn your life. It's gonna be able to track you. It's gonna be able to adapt, it's gonna be able to that's gonna be automate your life.
Speaker 3: Per Yeah, all right, tell you what we get the movie? Yes, yes, all right, we're gonna we gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 1: We come back though, we've got listener questions. Uh, we've got more tech for you. You can submit your question tech guys at tech talk radio dot com. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, I am slick, and I'm justin.
Speaker 4: Go to our website. Like seriously, tech talk radio dot com, Go now.
Speaker 3: And now fact to tech talk radio.
Speaker 4: All right, we have a listener question. It says, Hello, guys, this is from Bruce all right, Tucson. Does I need a device that I can hook up to my smart TVs so I can independently control the volume in a headset? I see some devices that make claims but have horrible consumer ratings. Any ideas?
Speaker 1: I got one for a product I just looked at, Uh, just looked at the new Roku Ultra, and I mean, if you have a pair of Bluetooth headphones, you can use the remote the new They've got a new two point zero voice remote to control the volume, and it would control the volume in the Bluetooth headphones.
Speaker 4: So I've got a pair of like bows right, like headphones that I use and I connect them up to my TV and I just use the volume control and the bows to adjust it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure if I understand. Now, are you a head set? Are you connected via Bluetooth to the TV? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that Yeah, a Bluetooth device rather than just a headset plugged into the TV should work fine, That's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want to go bluetooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you if you have a Roku TV, you can get the official This is on iPhone, I'm sure it works in Android. You can get the official app and you could do personal listening. Right so I could pop in my aarpods, open the app, control my phone and it controls the volume to my earbuds. Oh, I can take the TV volume right into my earbuds right right or whatever whatever Bluetooth headphones I have pointed in and then that way I can also control the TV. I can, you know, go to my all. It's really great. We use it all the time. When Max takes the remote, we don't know where it goes.
Speaker 1: I still didn't you buy him a remote, like for a twenty dollars remote, so you can have We just put.
Speaker 2: To Amazon and bought another Roken remote and took the batteries out of it.
Speaker 1: I have found this works great for kids because August, my grandson was over even just this morning. Give him a keyboard that doesn't even work anymore. They love keys and is teaching them abcdp.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's actually a really good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you've got like an old mechanical one, because then it makes sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they even like that more. I have an old Linux one as well that he's been having fun with. That's a Raspberry Pie based and it's I mean, it's not connected to anything, but he just loves although he was putting a blueberry on the raspberry on the raspberry pie button, like, don't do that, kid, get ruined the keyboard.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean, so, Bruce, I think honestly, I mean, if unless you're talking about like only wanting a wired headset, you know, in that case, I'm not exactly sure how to answer your question. But otherwise I would say just any Bluetooth headset because with that you're gonna have independent control in the volume from the headset itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he connecting to a smart TV, most of them will do Bluetooth, yes, Sean.
Speaker 2: I will say, I will say there are some. My father in law had one of these that took an analog out, so you can take a three and a half milimeter out to this transmitter and it was like a low, low, very low powered FM transmitter.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, all right.
Speaker 2: It would sit behind his TV and you could wear it right nearby the TV. If you went more more than fifteen or twenty feet away. I've had, I've seen it, would it would break up or whatever. But if you were within eyesight of the TV worked great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: Now what if he's talking about being able to control the volume and have the volume come out through the TV and a headset, that might be a different whole different topic.
Speaker 1: Well, he did say independently control the volume and a headset, so I would think maybe he's just worn. But you know, the thing is, it's like, if you want to watch it without bothering others, then you only have it isolated. But if you have it so, you're also turning up the volume, you know, for maybe maybe you have a little harder time hearing, so you're wearing headsets what I'm thinking, But if the family doesn't like it, you know, because I have to have the volume louder because I've been wearing headphones for what thirty plus years, so my ears are you know, pretty much the let the resistance is way down there. So people walk into the room and go, why you got it so loud?
Speaker 3: I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that could be the case, but I mean from based on the question that we received, I think Bluetooth is the answer.
Speaker 3: All right, going Bluetooth.
Speaker 5: Are you playing with that Roku ulter yet, the new one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Actually it's it's funny because they did a little test on it. So I have Exfinity and I've got, you know, a box, and I've got the ability with the Exfinity app to go to Disney Plus Hulu through all my accounts, right, and it's awful. It's awful using the Exfinity remote to be able to go.
Speaker 3: It takes forever. You will have to wait.
Speaker 1: It's awful hooking up the Roku Ultra and going directly to those services. Now, the Roku Ultra itself is about thirty percent faster, but just using that to get to Disney Plus, to get to Hulu, it's like it's like a major difference. So it made it so much faster for me. It made the experience better. And you know, I'm in that phase now where I may be cutting the cord. At some point pretty soon, the wireless or ting's service is going to be available in Marana. I'm maybe picking that up, and I may go ahead and go with YouTube TV like Justin and Sean have recommended, and then I'll just keep my subscription services and go that route. But having the Roku for those subscription services, it's night and day slick.
Speaker 3: It's seriously night and day.
Speaker 5: Does anyone played with the new Google TV streamer yet?
Speaker 4: I finally was able to get two of them. I don't have them, but they will be hopefully delivered sometime in November. It's so back ordered, but I was able to get my orders in.
Speaker 1: I thought it was pretty cool that Google TV is going to include the Roku channel on their lineup, which they said they would do so because you know, Roku does offer a lot of offerings. I mean, if you don't have to just watch Pluto TV or some of the other services.
Speaker 3: Crackles gone, right, am I right?
Speaker 5: Yes? Yeah? They pulled off. Yeah, so that a matter of fact, I read the story on it just the other day. One company owned four different services. Crackle was one of them, and it just you know, just shut them all down.
Speaker 1: Right, what's the best, the best one. I think it's Pluto. You know, others will say free V. I don't know, what do you think.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say it depends is pretty good too, which is good. But the interface is ion ion Ion.
Speaker 3: I've never even heard of ion.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of science fiction if I remember correctly.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about streaming for like actual TV shows or just streaming services and.
Speaker 5: Like an aggregator?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, creator, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: I was going to highly recommend Nebula.
Speaker 3: Nebula I've heard of that.
Speaker 4: Amula is an amazing So a lot of YouTubers got fed up with YouTube's algorithm and they make like science documentaries, engineering topics. I mean, you know, actual educational videos that are interesting. So they all came together and formed Nebula. And I think Nebula is like thirty bucks a year and it's all high quality, good content. It's all, you know, engaging interesting content. I love Nebula.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to look into that one an I on this book. I have always wanted to recommend Plex because plex a TV, because I want Plex to be around for a while. Because if you think of is there any other ballgame in town when it comes to your own media. To be able to rip your DVD and then put it on your codey uh, but rip your DVDs, put it on a service or a drive, and then be able to watch it anywhere, which I know all of us pretty much do.
Speaker 4: The thing about Plex is I'm sorry, but Plex they just can't get out of their own way, right. They could be so good, but they just keep screwing things up internally and they just can't get out of their own dang way.
Speaker 2: Like what the most the most recent one is hilarious because they they rolled this out and it was not an opt in. It just was you were in it. So let's say the four of us you all shared my PLEX server, right, okay, and maybe I have some adult content on there that you wanted to watch, right, and it would give you recommended viewing based on whatever other people were watching.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, that's not good.
Speaker 2: It would it would, It would tell me. Here's a recap of what Andy watched. Here's a recap of what justin watched.
Speaker 5: Oh we don't need to know what Andy watched, but people were.
Speaker 2: It was not like I was saying, it was not an opt in. It was automatically enabled on every so whoever updated to whatever whatever version, it was so all of a sudden, all these people were like, why is like why am I getting told that my brother's watching this video? Or why is you know it? So all these the people were so mad that this was enabled by default. Right, so you can just imagine, you know, could be shot. You know, justica is a show. Sean watched fifteen hours of Lord of the Rings or whatever. Right, it's like you to see what other people were watching. Just just there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, excite a good laugh. But that one my point being plex is an amazing platform. Yeah, but it's just they keep screwing things up.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, all.
Speaker 1: Right, here's another listener question. Let's go ahead say if we can get to this one before we have to go to break. But says I always seem to think of taxes late in the year. Yeah, it is kind of late, isn't it. Are we in October already?
Speaker 3: Says uh, but I we're.
Speaker 4: Talking about taxes. Yeah, gosh, I don't start talking about taxes until like end of March.
Speaker 1: So, but I started my own business and realized I could write off mileage when it involves work.
Speaker 3: That's a great line. You gotta be careful of that one.
Speaker 1: It says, I don't want to do it in the old fashioned way writing down the mileage. I had a friend that used to have to do that in a ledger, would write down every time he got in a car, where he was going, where you'd go, the whole bit.
Speaker 3: Uh. They say, is there a way to track my mileage? All right?
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm kind of familiar with it. I've been doing this, So there is a couple of options. One of them has been letting me down a bit.
Speaker 3: Uh. It's funny.
Speaker 1: That would be the Quick Book Small Business program with mileage. And what it does is it allows you to do some basic invoicing. But the cost on this is fourteen ninety nine a month. Last year it went up from nine dollars a month to fourteen ninety nine a month. And it does allow you to track your visits when you go to one place and then you could say, okay, that's personal, that's business by swiping left or rights.
Speaker 3: Like the tender way of doing it right.
Speaker 1: The problem is is that they've had issues lately that I do know of, and that's working with both iPhone and Android smartphones for tracking the mileage. I dropped quick books, but I've kept this and now I'm seeing fourteen ninety nine. I had called technical support who told me that, yes, the engineers are having a problem, they're aware of it and hopefully they'll have an update soon. It hasn't been working for two and a half weeks. I pay fourteen ninety nine a month.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you need to get your money back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just I'm wondering if I'd got to do that now I did. I've been looking into the options, so this is a good this is a good question. Mile I is another one sounds interesting. So mile iq has three different pricing options. They do one that's absolutely free, So if you're a small business and maybe you do forty drives every month, you can get it for free and you can classify it just like that personal or business. I'd recommend if you're doing a personal one, you like shut the app out so it doesn't do that. Monthly plan is five ninety nine a month for unlimited drive tracking and mileage logging, or the annual plan of fifty nine ninety nine a year. It's kind of saves you about twelve dollars per year. By doing that and that's all they do.
Speaker 4: That is just like, that's almost like a no brainer. I mean, QuickBooks small business with mileage fourteen ninety nine, it's not even working and you're paying fifteen bucks a month, whereas mile iq is six bucks a month or this person.
Speaker 3: You could save money and just do it manually.
Speaker 1: But isn't it better if you get some kind of log isn't there like car systems like cameras that all log for you as well.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that Cobra maybe offers something.
Speaker 4: Well, actually, you know what, if you've got a I don't know about I don't know about Apple, I'm assuming Apple probably does something very similar. But the thing is, if you got an Android phone, or even if you just use Google Maps, you can visit, revisit your location history anytime in a web browser. And a lot of people don't even really realize this.
Speaker 3: Check this out.
Speaker 4: If you use Google Maps or an Android phone or even on an iPhone with Google Maps, go to like what is it?
Speaker 5: It's your trips or your places.
Speaker 4: Or so next time you're at a computer, literally try this. This is really cool. Go to timeline dot Google dot com. You can type in any day of the any day, any month, any year, and it will tell you where you've been. Oh wow, and it will tell you down to like the centimeter of where you were. I'm looking at mine right now. Obviously I see a bunch of mine in Colorado, because that's where I'm at. But I also see my old trip back when I went to visit my mom in South Dakota, went over to Minneapolis. I see my trip to Las Vegas. I see my trip to Japan.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: I mean, what is that address again? Timeline dot Google dot com?
Speaker 3: Perfect?
Speaker 1: All, are we gonna take another quick break? We come back with more of tech Talk Radio. Brand new drone in the market, and who's gonna tell us about that? And Sean's raising his hands and Justin is thinking about getting into something once again, going back to the classics, and Sean will have the answer on that one as well.
Speaker 3: With more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird.
Speaker 4: All right, slick, and I'm Justin Send us an X at tech Talk Radio. We were right back.
Speaker 2: Now back to tiff Talk Radio. Another day.
Speaker 3: Another drone, Oh, another drone? Who's who put this one out?
Speaker 2: DJ? I again, I really think DJI is just cramming drones down people's throats to get them into the market before any potential passage of the anti drone bill. Because the anti Drone Bill, or as they're calling it, the Anti the Countering CCP Drones Act, it passed in the House and it's up in the Senate, but they're not sure when it's gonna actually get discussed in the Senate because that could impact any new drones that come on the market. Testing drones on the market won't be affected by it. So I really think dj I is just trying to get as many of their new or like they're just on a blitz of just trying to get as much hardware in the States and in people's hands before this. Billard Pitchers pass.
Speaker 1: Okay, so recently, so recently, Sean, they put out the Neo, which people are saying, you could fly it inside.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's my.
Speaker 2: Neo is tiny, It's got the bumpers on, it's very tiny. You can fly it inside. You can use gesture commands, like you could get that model even without an RC for it or a WoT control for it, so you can just use gesture and voice commands to fly it.
Speaker 3: What's this new?
Speaker 2: But they just announced on the fifteenth of October the DJI Air three S. So they've had the Dji Air, then they announced the DJIR two. This, then the three This is this is the three S. The big upgrades from this one are the new one inch sensor camera.
Speaker 3: Whoa wow.
Speaker 2: So a one inch sensor on a drone is a big deal, right, because that's a big sensor for a small package, And this actually has two different cameras on it. It's got the one inch Simas sensor which offers a fifteen to fifty megapixel resolution, and then they have a medium telephoto camera with a one and one third inch sensor, so significantly smaller, providing up to nine nine times zoom. So you have a zoom lens and a static wide angle. So the benefit of that is you get the advantages of having both right instead of just one doing both functions. Improved low light performance one in censored DUH enhanced LIGHTAR so a lot of the newer drones have lighter on them, which is laser detecting, so it can they're touting that this can map and learn your area so that it can avoid it's they're saying it's the best avoidance on any drone that exists outside of the way way super expensive ones. They're touting that this has their best high speed tracking, which it says it can track objects up to thirty one miles an hour.
Speaker 3: Wow, man, so this thing is quick. What's the flight time on it? Do they have it listed?
Speaker 2: They don't see the flight time on this web page, but I would imagine it's probably close to thirty this says UH, with the intelligent battery, forty five minutes of flight time.
Speaker 3: Wowly man, that's good.
Speaker 2: So that they're they're they're good, They're they're key right off their website. They're key points right one inch SEAMAS camera, seventy milimeters medium tell Us tell A camera, UH, the dual camera, four K, sixty fps, panorama mode, nightscape, omni directional obstacle sensing, next gen smart are returned to home with light R forty five forty five minute flight time. And then they're saying this is this has never been a realistic expectation for any drone. They're saying, twenty kilometer video transmission.
Speaker 3: No way, that's pretty far.
Speaker 2: No, there's no Yeah, that's I've never trusted anything above line of sight for any of my drones. So anybody trying to push those line of sight things is.
Speaker 4: Tykilometer is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah No, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's in perfect conditions.
Speaker 4: So with with a real plane twenty.
Speaker 2: So, uh yeah, it looks it looks pretty sweet. It's it's priced to be competitive, right. So the drone plus the controller.
Speaker 3: Eleven hundred bucks, that's about what I've spent for my my.
Speaker 2: The fly More combo which has two bad two intelligent flight batteries, the controller of the drone fourteen hundred The fly More combo with the RC two which has the built in screen sixteen hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the if DJ guy is going to have an issue trying to get people to understand you can buy this drone, own this drone and nobody's gonna come take it away from you, that you're gonna be okay? Is that something that is there misinformation you think that they have to be concerned with.
Speaker 2: I I think so. I mean I think anybody as especially as if this gets into the Senate and starts getting discussed in passed, there's going to be some you know, you're gonna have the fear mongering, right, you're gonna have the Oh, China's watching all of our stuff, right, Well, yeah they are. It's just the nach, it's just the nature of it, right. But it's they're not worried about me flying my drone over my house, right, What these what the concern for all these drones is that they're worried about people getting them near populated areas. They're worried about people getting them near top secret sites, right points of interest, high target things, things like that.
Speaker 4: Speaking of that, I mean, what was that news story? All those drones, those high speed were like going over air force bases really, and they were they were saying that they were coming from either China or Russia, but they could not track them because they were all in a line. They were all like just like a line of drones, and they were all one after another, and they were going at like top speed, like one hundred and thirty kilometers an hour, and they were flying over US military installations and and the military could not do anything about it because they were not under attack, so they were not going to shoot them down. But yeah, it's it's all never I had never.
Speaker 5: Heard of that, really, I did hear I heard a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: It happened on December sixth of twenty twenty three. The drones ranged in size. It happened over Langley Air Force Base back in December of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: I wonder if there's some kind of jamming that they could take them down out of the sky by electronic electronic jamming or I means.
Speaker 5: Don't they go on auto. I mean if you lose signal, you just you know this program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are electronic nets that can be deployed. There is there is countermeasures for drones and things like that. Stuff we're never going to know about because they don't want you to know about it.
Speaker 1: I know this has been this has been an issue for law enforcement in the Southern border. I know that, you know they've had drones flying over that they believe were cartel you know, cartel controlled drones. So I mean there's all kinds of issues when it comes to these drones. But again, if you're like you know, you're like us, We love these for the ability to fly takes some great photos. I heard the airs the air three s is going to be great for like real estate for those that are looking to get photos and video of real estate properties that are being sold that that could be a great model for it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's easy for it's since drones became a thing, right twenty ten, twenty eleven, drones just kind of dropped into the market. Everybody wanted to use them, right, but they were so restricted. When I got my Part one oh seven license, I was two weeks away from getting my pilot's license essentially by what the training I had to do to get my I had to go to the airport, I had to take a flight certified test with a flight instructor. Like it was crazy how much regulation I had to go through to get my drone license. And then I was still restricted on where I could fly it, based on my location, based on how close we were to the airport, based on if I was using it for a work or not. So a lot of that has been streamlined. So now if Justin wanted to go shoot stuff for his DJ business, he could just pop his drone up more often than not anywhere.
Speaker 1: Right as long as he's doing an outdoor party or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, first off, I couldn't do that if if I'm not if I'm making money off of an event or whatever. I can't use my drone because I need on part one O.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, But what I'm saying is it's very easy to get your part one oh sevens now. It's the steps involved and then the process of getting the applications to fly where you need to fly are very much more streamlined now than they were a decade ago.
Speaker 4: Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why would they make it easier to get your part one oh seven but then be like, oh, but then, by the way, have fun trying to find a drone. We're gonna ban them all.
Speaker 5: There are some.
Speaker 1: Drones that have been made in the United States or US friendly countries, so you know, we'll have to see what develops from that.
Speaker 3: Listen, I know that you are thinking.
Speaker 1: Justin about DSLR, and you are thinking about Babe getting back into that with mirrorless cameras, and we've talked about film cameras that Sean has been having fun with.
Speaker 3: So what is your thoughts you're reasoning for that?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I'm gonna have to keep this kind of short and sweet, but I've been I've been a nikon guy, right, I mean, when I bought my first DSLR. I went Nikon and Sean, I think you helped me pick that thing out back in San Diego. Sure did, but obviously I've never really expanded upon that. I got the starter lens, right, I don't have any I'm not invested into Nikon, right. So my question is I was talking to a photographer and I'm like, yeah, I'm kind of thinking about getting back into it. What do you shoot on? And he's like, well, I used to shoot on Nikon, but now all the pros are shooting on Sony. And I'm like, Sony really like Sony, Why, Like they're not even a camera company. He goes, Sony is making the censors for Nikon and for Cannon and Fuji Fujitsu or whatever. Like, Sony is the one making those sensors, So why would I go with another company who's just gonna mark that price up? Why not go directly with the company that makes it and go Sony. So this guy, I mean, he's a professional photographer. He went out and spent like twenty five thousand dollars, got himself a really nice Sony camera body I don't know what model, and then got himself like like five different lenses, one for each type of you know thing that he might need it for like macro portrait, landscape, wide angle, you know, telephoto. What are your thoughts on it? Like, what would you go with if you were to get into the industry right now, notwithstanding what you already own completely new?
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't buy a DSLR, really, what what? I'd buy a mirrorless Okay?
Speaker 4: Well? Sorry, wow, yes, mirrorless, Yes, I'm right. Should I say DSLR, I mean like professional photography?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, right, so let's let's what's clarify right there, there's a there's a big difference, right, There's a huge difference in price, there's a huge difference in quality, and there's a huge difference in what's being developed right now. Right, So when you say DSLR, right, that that to me says you're looking at a digital single lens reflex.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I should say digital photography.
Speaker 2: Say digital photography, right, because there's a difference in in the capability. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, right, I would tell you right now, if you're getting into it to get mirrors, go into mirrorless.
Speaker 4: That's where.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so you have your big three, Right, You've got your Sony's, You've got your Nikons, You've got your Cannons. Each of them are going to be reasonable compared comparatively. If you're looking at Sony, I mean, you can spend as much or as little as you want. There are there are your consumer level, there are your prosumer level. There there are your hobby professional, and then there are your professional levels. It all depends on your budget. That right, You're not gonna get bad quality from any of them. If you're looking for fast, reliable, speed quality, Sony is gonna be your best bet because of it. It's price point, it's lenses options, it's autofocus system, and you're you just can't go wrong. I mean their mirrorless system is.
Speaker 4: I'll take that right there, Sony. I mean, like like I said, the other guy said Sony, and Sean says, Sony. Hey, maybe I'll just go with Sony.
Speaker 3: Here you go, all right, we're gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to look at Sony down. We'll be back with more of Tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 4: I'm sure the weird all right, slick, and I'm just remember when I said to go to our website. Have you done it yet? Oh? Tech talk radio dot com. Now I'm there and now back to tech talk radio.
Speaker 5: So I get this message from Andy today and it starts out with it starts out with this, It says, Hey, we're doing the show tonight. Yeah, And then about three minutes later, I get a follow up message from Andy. I should say this is on Facebook Messenger, by the way, right right, And the follow up message for many says, did you thumb up the wrong message? Yeah, exactly. So he's looking at a thumb up from days ago. Oh, so I send him another thumb up, but this time I send it on the first message, Hey we're doing the show tonight with the thumb up on it? Am I the only one having problems communicating with Andy in social No?
Speaker 4: No thing is Baby usually does voice to text all the time. He's lazy to actually type, so he just like does and then you'll and then you'll come back and like edit and be like, oh sorry I meant to say, And then you'll screw that one up, and then he'll do it again, and so like about four messages into it, I'll finally understand what he's trying to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate that, and I hit send and it just drives me nuts. Now I have been using the Google Pixel nine, which I ended up keeping. You know, I kind of I'm not good. I'm not still carry my my iPhone with me because not everything is completely ported over yet, so I still still can do I turned off my message, but I can still use it for the Wi Fi features that I may need. But it's yeah, it's a little different typing on this thing.
Speaker 3: And the voice to voice to text is like, it's okay, So I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so sorry, is he sending you voice messages? Because I finally got him to use some voice messaging on Facebook? He wouldn't. He hadn't used it like at all ever until like this year.
Speaker 1: Right right, Sorry, it's like, but but it gave me a notification that I had a comment on the message our message thread, and that's what I thought they were thought.
Speaker 3: Did he send me a thumb on that previous message?
Speaker 5: You know you can scroll it on that screen, right andy, if you take your finger, you put another thing.
Speaker 1: I know how to text Sean, and Sean, I have I given you a weird text?
Speaker 2: It depends, It depends if I respond directly to you. Sometimes you respond in the group chat. Sometimes you respond directly to me, So sometimes I don't know if it's meant for me or if the group chat. So I have to check the group chat to make sure that I didn't respond to the wrong thing before I respond to you.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, all right, I'll.
Speaker 5: So if you ever get a message from Andy to everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great.
Speaker 5: It's gotta be clear the right thread. All right.
Speaker 1: I want to remind everybody it is cybersecurity Awareness month. If there's one tip that you could give, just one basic tip, what would it be?
Speaker 3: Uh, just don't submit.
Speaker 2: Don't submit your data to twenty three and meters.
Speaker 3: Oh there you go, Yes, just bury his face.
Speaker 4: One tip, use a password manager and stop using the same password on every website. And use a password manager and generate long cryptic passwords. Uh it, manage it for you.
Speaker 5: How about use like breathe pause, take a breath. You don't have to respond right now, think it through. Not everything needs an immediate response or action.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. All right, we'll cover more of that stuff next week on the show. In the meantime, thank you for tuning in to this week's Tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 2: I'm Seanda Weird, I'm slick, and I'm Justin Lemme.
Speaker 4: Once again, go to our website, tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 5: We'll see you next week.