Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vas said.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium until eleven thirty tonight, taking your phone calls at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We have phone lines open eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. After the Dodgers walk it off against the Tigers for an eight to five win thanks to Mookie Bads who had a tremendous game. He drove in four runs, he hit two home runs, and man, he is off and running. And just think where MOOKI was just what three or four days ago. I mean, he was not able to keep down solid food for a couple of weeks. He was sick the entire time in Tokyo. Had to come back to La and here he is in the fourth game of the regular season, hitting two home runs, including the walkoff home run in the bottom of the tenth inning for an eight to five win. In eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. You know what this Dodger team has showed me in the first four games of the season. Like I mentioned during the Clubhouse show, it is going to be very difficult. The Dodgers are going to lose their share of games, no doubt about it. I still believe they're going to win over one hundred games this year, but there's about sixty something other games they may lose. But it's going to take everything from the opponent to beat them. And I know they're not beating world beaters right now, but the Tigers, in my opinion, are going to be an American League playoff team. And we said this a few different years often if teams beat the Dodgers this year, it's really surviving the Dodgers one through nine. It's going to be very difficult to get through this lineup to get twenty seven outs. Every one of these players are spit tacular in their own right and are capable of doing spectacular things. Look what led up to Mookie Betts being able to come up to be a hero. You had Michael confordo deliver a big hit. You had Will Smith come off the bench tonight to pinch hit for Austin Barnes in a key spot and deliver the game tying Bays hit. He was ninety feet away. All Mookie Bets needed was a Bays hit, but it was a three run home run by one of the Big Three and Mookie Bets to deliver for the Dodgers. I mean, this was a pretty good game and a tale of two different games from what we saw at the beginning, Yamamoto and Flarity dueling. Yamamoto with a ten strikeout night in five innings. Flaherty with a no hitter through four innings, makes a mistake in the very same inning he made a mistake in Game One of the World Series last year to John Carlos. Stanton went down to get that breaking ball last year. But this was a cement mixer to Freddie Freeman in the bottom of the sixth inning, a two run, game tying home run by Freddie. And you know, you look at a couple of other key moments in this game. The kid for the Tigers, Dylan Dingler. He had a lot to say about tonight's game and was involved in a lot. He drove in some key runs for Detroit, including a solo home run. He came up in the eighth inning with the bases loaded. Alex Vessi got himself into trouble, but he got himself out of trouble, striking out Dingler in the eighth inning. With the bases loaded. Last night, the Tigers were zero for fifteen with runners in scoring position. What were they tonight? They were let's see here, two for nine and left ten men on base. So the first two games of this series, the Tigers has stranded twenty two base runners. That's a lot of opportunities and they did not cash him in. Another key inning to me to lead to Mookie Bets being able to do what he did was the ninth inning low Key Tommy Edmund. He is one of the most valuable players on the field for the Dodgers. I am starting to understand more each day why Andrew Friedman was pining over Tommy Edmund and why he was so excited when he got the opportunity to be able to trade for Tommy Edmund last year. He is the NLCSMVP from a year ago. He is a guy that slid over to shortstop and played some good defense when Miguel Rojas went down and the Dodgers needed keyk a Hernandez to be October kei K KEYK and center Edmund at shortstop was a winning recipe for the Dodgers in October. Tonight, Tommy Edmund starting at second base made incredible plays in the ninth inning, starting with you know, helping Mookie Bets, who is still learning the shortstop position. He went to the third base side of excuse me, the left field side of the second base bag to make a play behind Bets who couldn't get to the grounder and make a strong throw to Freddie Freeman for the first out of the ninth and then a base hit to Max Munsey later in the inning, Monsey blocked it and threw low to Edmund. Any other second baseman that may be in right field, and the Dodgers don't only give up one run, they may be giving up two or three runs. And the play of the inning, and maybe the defensive play of the game, was Tommy Edmond making a strong throw on the relay from ta Oscar Hernandez to get out of breath and just clumsy base running by Manuel Margo. You got a center field arm playing second base tonight and you saw that on that play. So for me, Tommy Edmond is right up there with Freddie Freeman and Mookie bed says the player of the game. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number we had a chance to catch up with Mookie Betts moments after his walk off three run home run and the Gatoray bath courtesy of Taoscar Hernandez. Yeah, that was fun. That was good.
Speaker 3: You know, just getting a win is good, getting the boys, you know, just getting us, getting us rolling, you know, and it's a Yoshi Fish great. You know we got was a little bumpy through the middle, but you know, they gave us chances. They gave us chances, and that's what good teams do.
Speaker 2: Muki. It just feels like from the first four games of the season, you are never going to be out of a game.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I mean that's that's exactly it. I mean, Andrew Freeman front opposite an amazing job giving us a really good team, and now it's our job to go perform, and we've been doing.
Speaker 2: It so far. Luki, what was the plan there in that at bat? You extended that that bat, you saw two change ups earlier in the bat.
Speaker 3: I mean, really just put it in play. I mean, at that point you just got to put it in play and hope, hope can get a run across show. I did a great job getting a base hit per usual, and uh fortunately I did my job.
Speaker 2: Two home runs tonight, Mookie, on a night that you receive your championship ring. Could you have mapped it out or scripted it any better?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: That was not like that, man. That that was a really fun game to be a part of. And I just, uh, I just love being a Dodger.
Speaker 2: Hey. The game rewards the humble people out there, and that's Mookie Betts does.
Speaker 5: It rewards the hard workers.
Speaker 3: And you know, so We've got a great group of guys and it's rewarding so so far.
Speaker 2: Hey, it starts with a fifty thanks a lot for stopping and I like seeing you get those gatorade baths. I hope I can get some more. Thank you. Best there is Mookie Bets, the hero of the game, or one of the heroes of the game for the Dodgers, A humble superstar and a hard worker. And that's what separates the Dodgers superstars from a lot of other teams. They don't just roll out with their talent. They put in the work hours before first pitch to be prepared to do what they did tonight and what they did last season to win the World Series eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight, Lo Low was that Dodger Stadium tonight? Hi, Lo Loo, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Hey DZ the man with with my dream job.
Speaker 7: And it's good to hear from you again.
Speaker 6: Then, And what what? What didn't that game have?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: It was? It was wonderful from beginning to end. Probably the first game. I almost lost my voice before the game even began. And you know, on top of everything you just said, and then you cap it off with the little jab to a J Hinch. Come on, DV, you're the This man is the best.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope he was watching the Dodgers get their rings. I hope he was watching it. And you know, I appreciate, uh, I have forgotten things, Lo Low. I'll just put it that way.
Speaker 1: Right, you know.
Speaker 8: And you know, I want to say, you know, master Messing cool. Thanks to my friend Willie who gave me the ticket just last night. I didn't even know it was coming to the game and and know and behold it was probably you know, we we thought there weren't going to be very many walkoffs this year because it's such such a great team, right, the pitching staff is amazing. We didn't think there were very man opportunities for that, and you know we were discussing that on our podcasted I got a podcast now, as.
Speaker 2: Everybody's got a podcast, everybody's got a podcast.
Speaker 6: This is you know, I'm trying to follow it.
Speaker 2: You're not. You're not plugging your podcast here, Lo Loo, I'm sorry. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. I think my next door neighbor's got a podcast. Now, let's go out to Jennifer. It was at the game. How you doing, Jennifer? Do you got a podcast?
Speaker 9: To Jennifer, I don't, but I'm your new best friends as I called you last night too, so I was calling you from party line ten. But now were on the road heading back to the South.
Speaker 2: Saying that's right, that's right. So you have tickets for tomorrow too? Are you a season ticket holder?
Speaker 9: I am half season? Half season.
Speaker 2: Hey, so far you got the right games to come to. It was a it was a great night again start to finish with the ring ceremony and Mookie coming up with the heroics.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, no, it's amazing. But you did such a great job or recapping the game but I also wanted to give a shout out to Barnsey. It was so good to see him in there. Though we usually get well, but being able to see Barny make the play, I couldn't believe it. I thought he was out that I mean, I thought he was safe, but he got him out, So I thought that was a pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great tag by Austin Barnes, no doubt about it. And he knew it too. And it's one of those rare times, Like I said, when you're down there on the stepswaying to go onto the field, a lot of times you don't have the best angle. But I had a great view of that play and totally saw that Margo missed home plate, and by the time he was able to slide past home plate, Austin Barnes was able to get the reach and tag the toe of his right cleat eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventies, the phone number. The Dodgers are undefeated to begin the season. They are four and oh and the last defending champion to win their first four games of the year were the nineteen eighty five Tigers, who started the season six to zero, and the last Dodger team to win their first four games of the year was Rick Monday's nineteen eighty one Dodgers that went on to beat the Yankees in six games in the World Series for redemption that season. Eight six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Jennifer wants to give love to Austin Barnes. Well, let's head downstairs to the Dodger clubhouse to hear from tonight's catcher.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, he's a great pitcher. I think he moved the ball around pretty good. Started starts crowding some little lefties and do some good two sceniors into the other rodies. Yeah, he says the two owners that I thought he did bowl really well. A lot of punch outs. You know, it's hard to be a fishing when he's striking out ten guys in five. So yeah, I thought he pitched good after the bullpen came in and threw the ball ball too.
Speaker 1: When you look at kind of where that splitter is this year compared to last year, just how has it evolved at this level.
Speaker 5: I think it's splitters is pretty similar. I think it's just uh, his confidence and uh he's doing some other things there. Now, I think that you know, opened up the split finger a little bit, just kind of crowding people a little bit more, you know, throwing in a little bit so makes them a little quick and the split finger plays, and uh, you know, besides that one he kind of left up and he were kind of blowing by plowing fast holes by him. So yeah, I think you can do will pretty well.
Speaker 8: Just enjoyable.
Speaker 9: Has this week been, like even going back to Japan with the way you guys have started on the field, all the ceremonies.
Speaker 10: Off to like, like, how much has that added to just kind of the kind of started for the season you.
Speaker 8: Guys have gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's you know, it's a great thing to be a Dodger. You know, it's you know a lot of cool things happen. You know, play a lot of cool games, go to Tokyo, get some rings opening day, you know, so they do things right here, and you know we had to do our job about there, win games, and you know, obviously for a fan we had a great fan base who helps makes this all possible. So uh, yeah, it's been a great, you know, a little week and you know, gotta keep going.
Speaker 2: No nobody asked him about the tag in the ninth inning. How do you not ask him about the play that he made the tag to cut down another insurance running to end the inning. Anyway, Austin, we tried eight six six, seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers beat the Tigers tonight eight to five and ten innings. Let's go out to Lewis, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight?
Speaker 11: Hi?
Speaker 2: Lewis, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 12: Hey, how's it going DV?
Speaker 2: It's going great, Lewis, A great night at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, I've seen lookie beds with that walk off. It was just something that dreams are made of.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: Honestly, just seeing that, you know, everything that had happened to Luki, you know, considering the Tokyo Series he wasn't in it. You know, the exhibition games he wasn't in it, and you know the one game that he did play, you know, it was you know, I wouldn't say lack of a better word, meatocre, but tonight was just you know, seeing everything that he has prepared for and what he is trained for. This is exactly why we had signed him in the first place, you know, just to see how clutch he could be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lewis, thanks for the phone call. Appreciated the Dodgers traded for Mookie and then gave him an extension, and obviously one of the best players out there. It's incredible that one of the best, if not the best right fielder in the game is playing shortstop and hitting two home runs. And you know, if there's one. I was asked a few different times before the season started what the Dodgers' vulnerability is, and after four games, I would say, outfield defense. To me, that's the vulnerability right now. Michael CONFORDO, you know, he's an on a scouting scale, you know, I don't know where he's where. Scouts in baseball have him. But he's not as good of a left fielder as ta Oscar Hernandez was last year. And teams are going to run on the Dodgers outfield. We saw that last night, we saw it again tonight, and I guess, if you had to nitpick what the vulnerability of this team is right now, to me, it's outfield defense. And Tommy Edmund made a great play to assist on the relay in the ninth inning to be able to get Manuel Margo. So if you had to ask me what the vulnerability of this Dodger team is as of right now, it's the outfield defense and we'll see how that plays out as the season progresses and unfolds. Eight six six eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number we're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back. More of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy, and we'll share some of the highlights of the ring ceremony, and you'll hear from Evan Phillips, Dodger super reliever who missed out on the World Series because of a torn muscle around his rotator cuff. He's on his way back, though. We got good news as it pertains to Evan Phillips, so we'll share what Evan had to say earlier today as well. Dodgers walk it off thanks to a Mookie Bets three run home run in the tenth inning, eight to five over Detroit on the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy online at amfive seventy LA sports dot Com and available my podcast on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Ass This is Dodger Talk with David Vassa. The drama builds for another three to two.
Speaker 10: Mookie swings high football flood field in deep.
Speaker 2: This Bowl's back, This Bull's gone. Mookie simply magic.
Speaker 3: He rouse their tosses his helmet to the sky and.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers walk off blitters Steven Nelson and Rick Monday on the call tonight, A thrilling finish to a great game, a great night at Dodgers Stadium as Mookie Beds hits two home runs tonight, including that one, the walk off three run home run in the bottom of the tenth thinning off a Tigers reliever Bo Brisky Luis Scarcia gainst the win, his first as a Dodger in relief. David vass Live at Dodgers Stadium after that thrilling eight to five win and ten innings tonight at eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. Jose Moto will join us in about ten minutes and we'll take more of your phone calls, and you also hear from Evan Phillips. But first we wanted to share a couple of the introductions of the ring ceremony tonight. It was very Hollywood, I'll say that, and fitting in Hollywood to have a Hollywood kind of vibe for the ring ceremony. Not only was Anthony Anderson kind of the MC of the whole deal. Anthony was such a big part of setting the tone before each and every playoff game last year, but also the Dodgers enlisted the Oscars announcer Randy Thomas to give some background career highlights. As the players were walking off the stage and the stage was placed between home plate and the pitchers mound, they had stands cast in Mark Walter, Andrew Friedman and Brandon Gomes handing out the rings and taking photos like they were Santa Claus for the players up there. Here's a little taste of a couple of introductions and just the way the Dodgers did it. Here is how Taoscar Hernandez was introduced. All right, everybody, if you have seeds in.
Speaker 10: Your hand, get ready to comb up in air for Thescar.
Speaker 14: Yes, Taoscar Hernandez made quite an impact during his first season as a Dodger. He was named to the National League All Star Team. He won last year's home run derby and helped lead the Dodgers to a World Series title. This is the second World Series ring for the three times Silver slugger from the Dominican Republic.
Speaker 2: He I appreciate that reminding us the resume of the player that everybody loves like Taoscar Hernandez, Taoscar Keik Hernandez, and this guy. The World Series MVP Freddie Freeman got the loudest ovations. One of the most selectric moments in Dodge Stadium history belongs to number five study s.
Speaker 14: This is the second World Series ring for the graduate of Elmodana High School in Orange, California. His history making walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series was the.
Speaker 6: First of four that he hid in.
Speaker 14: Last year's Fall Classic. He also tied an MLB record with twelve runs batted in and was named the twenty twenty four World Series MVP.
Speaker 2: Once upon a Time in Hollywood, the Dodgers got their championship rings and then walked off in a Hollywood style finish with the Mookie Bets three run home run to beat the Tigers eight to five and ten innings. Key k A Hernandez was not in the dugout during the game. I took a peek a couple of different times. Remember, Kei K wasn't at the stadium yesterday because of a stomach bug, but he did show up. I feel like it was going to take a lot to knock Keik out of the pregame ring ceremony because he was looking forward to it so much. Because the last time the Dodgers received their rings, he was in Boston during the twenty twenty one season and in spring training. We just talked about this moment, and I'm sure he did not envision having a stomach issue on the night of the ring ceremony. But if you remember, during the off season, Andrew Freeman said something that a lot of people were surprised about. Andrew said that KEYK Hernandez showed more leadership during this past October than he had seen from KEYK his entire care So we talked about the ring ceremony and just exactly what the leadership role was.
Speaker 10: Last time I was. I knew that I was leaving, so it didn't matter if we won or didn't win. It was going to be a fact that I was gonna, you know, go go on a different journey. And I was totally fine with it. I accepted it all. And then when that day came, I felt left out and I felt like I wanted to be a part of that just for that one day. But obviously that didn't happen. And to get to come back this time and where that gold uniform and get that ring in front of my in front of that home home crowd instead of getting it in a box in the mail delivered to Fenway Park is a little different.
Speaker 2: Oh that's how you got the ring.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's how I got the ring. We weren't going to play the Dodgers, so the team wanted to wait until we played the Angels in late July to come bring it to me. And I was like, look, guys, I don't really want to wait this long to get my ring. And if I was playing at Doctor Stadium, I get it, but to do it in a private room and Anaheim ain't it. So I would much rather get my ring asap, even if it's in the mail. And I think this time is going to be a little more special.
Speaker 2: Kei k A. Andrew Friedman said last week that he was so impressed by your leadership and the growth and just specifically last year. How you really were one of the leaders for the Dodgers. Can you describe what he was talking about? Was it leading by example? Did you have to pick the team up in the clubhouse? What was that leadership that he was describing.
Speaker 10: For the most part, I am a leaderback sample. I think just because of the personality. Guys know that I like to keep keep things light, but then at the same time very I'm a very intense person. And when it's when it's nutcrunched time and things aren't going your way, it's very easy to you know, to to to let the noise, the outside noise, get really loud. And for me, I've been a part of so many of these runs, and uh, you kind of know how to shut things, shut things on and off, and uh, you know what it takes to win. So I went once I saw that, and and it's it's kind of things about like knowing yourself as a as a your role within the clubhouse. And at that time, you know, it was as much as it is my time to to be light and all, it was also my time to to pick people up, and it was time to be that vocal leader. And I, uh, I said you know what, if guys don't like it and we go down, so be it. I might not be here next year. But I really want to win, and I know what it takes to win. So I'm going to try and bring the best out of people, and I'm gonna, you know, call people out. I got to call people out or pick people up if they need to be picked up. And there's a lot of conversation with guys throughout October and uh, you know, talking whether it was in the clubhouse or at hotel rooms or going out for a Starbucks run with Yoshinobu and having a couple hour talk with him, things like that, and I just decided, you know what, I'm just I'm gonna do this, and if guys don't like it, whatever, but we need to this. I feel like this is what we need right now as a team. And that's kind of what I did.
Speaker 2: By the way, the key k Hernandez meeting with Yamamoto came after Yamamoto's first postseason start against the Padres. Kik told me that it was just them. There was no translator, hero, no interpreter. They were able to communicate pretty clearly, and I think Kik got his message across because after that, Yamamoto never looked back and now you're seeing the product of the confidence of his playoff run and his importance last year. And he came into camp with a lot of swagger and a lot of confidence. So that was the conversation with Keith k Hernandez. He took us inside in a lot of different ways about how he felt about the ring ceremony and also his role as a big time leader for the Dodgers last year. Let's go out to the phones before we check in with Jose Mota. Jerry was at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Jerry, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey, daj thanks for taking my call. I want to say thanks, Toby, have by seventy in your south for all the coverage. I'm that guy who listens to off season Dodgers Talk in December.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're that guy.
Speaker 7: I'm that guy, bro And we're out there for Ravian right now. We're on the ten heady and he stot to line here and now you know what, I got to give it up to Mookie and first ballid Hall of Famer future. You know, when he breaked that first home run and he gave that fish pump.
Speaker 6: Everybody in the crowd was like, pump up.
Speaker 7: And it's nice to see.
Speaker 13: Him have that energy now.
Speaker 7: And then when he went yard to win it and he was jumping around, it's like, didn't he let off the gas from last season? Hey, thanks the thing my call GV. I'm a good little bot.
Speaker 2: All right, Jerry, thanks for the phone call. I love when Mookie Bett's plays with joy, that's a big deal. And tonight he was playing with a lot of joy. There's a great photo after he hit the walk off home run. He was standing a couple of feet away from home plate and he had the tongue out and basically like Jordan in Utah. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers Owned the dream.
Speaker 1: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Moto, what a great night at Dodger Stadium again. Start to finish. Let's start with the pregame ceremony, the ring ceremony. That was a pretty dramatic Hollywood type type of a giveaway to the for the players to get their rings.
Speaker 13: It is so hard to get through a long season, expectations names, Shohil Tani, Mookie Bets, Freddie Freeman, Will Smith. I mean, it's hard to get through a season and then to win it, and then to win the World Series. So you know what, Hollywood as it was, is exactly what the fans deserve, what the players deserve, with everybody that's been part of that uniform deserved, and I think overall it was absolutely fantastic and quite fitting for Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Did you have one particular player a moment where you were a little surprised the reaction they got from the crowd, the loud ovation they got from the crowd.
Speaker 11: No, not at all.
Speaker 13: I mean overall, like the expectations obviously with Showhy, with taylh my god, I was fantastic Freddy Freeman what he did in the World Series. But I think overall, I mean guys that you know barely pitched. I mean, Emma Sheion gets a nice ovation. It's all part of what I always say that when you win, nobody cares what your average was, how many, what your era was, but you're part of a winner and everything that matters. And it is so good to see everybody that you know had their hands on it. The design is quite beautifully. Fernando Vevenezuela is honored in the ring with twenty four thirty four sapphires. That is absolutely touching and a reminder of how important tradition is and personalities are for this organization. I mean, Fernando forever in that ring with thirty four sapphires is absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 2: No doubt. Fernando is still on the Dodgers jersey sleeves too, number thirty four for the rest of this year, so definitely not forgotten. Let's get to the game, Jose. This Dodger team, like Mookie bet said, it's gonna be tough to beat them and get twenty seven outs. It feels like teams are going to have to survive the Dodgers more than beat them.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and I say Mookie made some important point too, and talking to you too. You know, these guys work for this. It's not like they go out there and to say, here's my name, here's my tradition, here's my history, here's my my road here. No, they they want to be so good, and you know, Mooki wants to be great. We talked about this, all the doubts about whether Muku was in a play or not, and we all had our doubts. And the one thing that I did mention to you a couple of days it was, is, you know, when a guy like this has that type of spirit, just don't get in the way. Don't get in the way of greatness. But overall we see why he talks about those twenty seven ounce and how hard it is because you count one through nine and then you go to the bench. I mean, Will Smith comes up with a big hit and it's just it doesn't matter what's happened four or five innings. They're getting no hit through four and then one swing changes everything. And it's part of what this culture is, what you know, what they're made of day because you go back to look at star players and superstar teams, but it seems like nobody here wants to take the credit in a way, you know what I'm saying, And it's like, you know, what if I don't do it. Somebody's just going to get it done. But overall it's just a group effort that again you got to applug because they just never think they're out of the game. And obviously they have the weapons and resources because they're never out of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know Mooki obviously came up with the big hit to win the game, but the subsequent at bats ahead of him really put him in that position. Michael Confordo, who made a questionable dive for a ball in the top of the tenth inning, comes through with a big base hit, scores a run. Will Smith delivers the game time base hit off the bench on his thirtieth birthday, and Otani puts will Smith at third base ninety feet away to put a lot of pressure on Brisky facing Mookie Betts.
Speaker 13: Yes, on top of all that, and you're making some great points. Conforto, top play left field. You mentioned some great points about the outfield defense. We can get into that next few days. But he goes out there and finds some tough pitches and goes the other way. He does not try to say, let me make cup for maybe that misplay left field on a tough play by hitting home run, he stays right where we was at the end of spring training and goes the other way. And then on top of that, you start looking as who's coming up and the things that you have to do as a pitcher to get by, and you just don't have room to brief And they're not just guys are gonna slug the baseball. They give you a good team at bats and we know that Dave in the last three years talking to you. When they go to win from team at bats, it gets real dangerous and it gets very scary. They don't produce, but they're back to that mode right away, like they're playing in October with a lot of urgency. And then on top of that, on another side is all of this happened because the Dodgers played the best defense overall, considering in one any thanks to Tommy Edmond who kept the game where it was along with the play by Austin Bond. So one thing compliments the other. The bad pitching, you pick it up. You pick up Tanner Scott by the way that he's having trouble getting lefties out. But all these things happen because you have the right elements and guys that can really put behind the last tough play to move ahead and know that there's still that left. Well, there's still an opportunity, and we're seeing it once again.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, we'll talk to you tomorrow on Oral Herscheizer, could Jersey give away? And Roki Sazaki's Dodgers stadium debut will have a lot to talk about tomorrow night as well.
Speaker 13: Very special, just like thirty four.
Speaker 2: We all right, Jose, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Appreciate his insight. I mentioned that we talked to Evan Phillips today. He and Tony Gonsolin threw in the same simulated game, throwing the hitters earlier this afternoon. The minor league season just got underway in Oklahoma City. In fact, Dalton Rushing hit a home run in Oklahoma City's first game tonight. But Evan Phillips is getting closer to going out and pitching in a minor league rehab assignment, and I asked him what the next steps were. How he's feeling with that right shoulder that was injured in the NLCS and has taken a little bit of time to bounce back today simulated game.
Speaker 13: Yes, SLIPPLAVEVP.
Speaker 2: So where what's the next step after this?
Speaker 15: You just do to I feel like I'm ready for a rehab assignment, but due to the nature of what's going on here this weekend and then the minor league season starting this weekend, and then they have their off day on Monday, so I think I'll be back here for another live VP on Monday, and then I'll head out for a rehab assignment.
Speaker 2: How long do you expect that to be or will they tell you?
Speaker 15: I'm sure we'll lay something out, but you know, with these things, it's all just one at a time. I think as I go through that progression, you know, we'll knock out a couple, start working on back to backs, start working on two out of three's, and you know, one plus things like that, and as I cross those thresholds, and we'll have a better idea of when I'll return.
Speaker 2: Fair to say, when you start doing those back to backs, how you bounce back is going to dictate.
Speaker 15: Yeah, That's kind of my point is it's all dependent on how I'm responding to things, and if we continue with this trend and where I've been doing really well and bouncing back really well. Then I think, you know, hopefully we stay on schedule and get back as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: So fingers for Evan Phillips that he's able to check those boxes, especially pitching back to back games on this upcoming minor league rehab assignment to get him back hopefully by the end of April. For the Dodgers, that would be a big boost to their bullpen, to one of their key relievers the last two or three years. And it's a relief to understand better because he was explaining it to me a lot more clearly than I had heard it that the capsule in his rotator cuff was not torn or injured. Luckily for Evan Phillips and the Dodgers, what was torn was a muscle that goes towards the back side of the shoulders. So with rest and a PRP injection, that muscle tear has healed. Muscle tears can heal, and that's not as big of a deal in the grand scheme of things as a ligament tear. So the muscle tear healed, and that's the reason why Phillips has a great chance of being a part of the Dodgers trying to make it a back to back championship. Eight six six, nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Tigers eight to five in ten innings. I want to get to a couple of callers that were holding for a long time. So let's let's bring them together. Christian and Hollywood. Say hi to Greg and Corona. You're both big Dodger fans.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Hey, hey Christian, what's happening?
Speaker 6: Doing good?
Speaker 2: Doing good?
Speaker 11: Just was hearing the game to the MLB website and just what an exciting ninth to be a Dodger fan. I do want to bring up just a point that I don't know if anybody had brought up yet, but Dodgers leaving what six players on base? You know, I know it's early in the season, but I think it might be something to point out and maybe just have that small talk, say, hey, we need to be able to bring these players in.
Speaker 2: And they scored eight runs night, they scored eight runs tonight, And if you look at the flip side, the Tigers have left twenty two runners on base the first two games.
Speaker 4: How would you feel if you were a Colorado Rocky. After two games, you wake up in the morning, you're two and a half back in the in the divisions. It's super I mean it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, oh yeah, talking out who just gave him them tumbo finger? Who was that that just gave him them tumbo finger?
Speaker 8: That's me?
Speaker 4: Greg and Corona.
Speaker 2: Oh damn, Greg, you just dunked on Christian Hollywood on Dodger talk.
Speaker 4: Well, hey, two and a half games back. I've only played two games, but I think the Dodgers. I've been a lot. My family is huge into this. My dad was at the fifty nine World Series as his dad. My dad took I was at the Gibson game with my dad in eighty eight and I took my son to the to the Kershaw against the Cheaters in Game one when he won against Houston. But any who, so we've been around.
Speaker 2: That's a lot to die just right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot. I've never been like like the vibe of this team. I haven't never seen another teams as with the vibe of this team. I think what's gonna dave. I think what's going to be the tough thing is every single team is going to bring their best every single day. They're gonna get jabbed like I mean, I know the Tigers are going to be a playoff team anyways, but they they fought their asses off these last two games, and that like the Dodgers, these are playoff games basically, that's.
Speaker 2: Where they're going. The first two games of this series may have broken the will for the Tigers tomorrow. Maybe, I mean, it is early in the season, but that was my point. The Dodgers are going to make things very difficult for a lot of different teams, even on the nights that they lose games. Hey, Greg and Christian, thanks a lot for calling in. Appreciate it. Let's do it again. Okay, every call has to come to an end. Fernando Valezuela always used to tell me I hang up on the callers, but I try to explain to him, every call comes to an end, so I have to hang up on you guys now.
Speaker 4: Thanks Dave, appreciate you. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Moving all right, guys, thanks a lot. Good sports right there. That'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tonight tomorrow, Roki Sazaki making his Dodger Stadium debut, going up against right hander Reese Holsen, the twenty five year old right hander for the Tigers, had one hundred and one strikeouts in one hundred and twelve innings. He did not farewell against left handed hitters, which is a bad matchup for him. Tomorrow night, Bronco Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at five o'clock, first pitch at six ten. Thanks to calling e back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald, who's out here at Dodgers Stadium already's got the car warmed up alright, I mean game two of the home schedule. We've got the car warmed up already. Anyway, we'll talk to you tomorrow night. Look forward to another great night at Dodgers Stadium. It's not just a game, it's an event when you come watch the Dodgers once again. The final score the Dodgers on a Mookie walk off, three run home run in the tenth inning, beat the Tigers eight to five. Have a great rest of your night. Seal play