Speaker 1: Welcome back to the deep dive. Today we are tackling something huge, a really foundational look at Microsoft three sixty five and look, if you still think M three sixty five is just Word and Excel while you're missing some massive shifts and how businesses compute today.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. M three sixty five isn't just a software bundle. It's really how cloud computing works in the enterprise world. Our goal today is to break down the key ideas cloud structure, flexibility, and crucially modern security, so you get the practical knowledge behind the whole platform.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start at the beginning, the big economic change. So cloud computing, we usually define it as getting to your resources, storing your data all over the internet. It's delivered on demand, pay as you go pricing, and the key thing here it flips it spending from capex buying big servers to opex operational expenditure. Right.
Speaker 2: And what's really interesting is that the money side is also the strategy side. You're shifting it away from, you know, making big bets on hardware you hope.
Speaker 1: Last five years, yeah before a huge.
Speaker 2: Upgrade cost exactly two, a more dynamic subscription approach. It gets rid of those huge initial costs. No building data centers, buying racks of servers, worrying about power and cooling two and a four debit. You just pay for what you actually use and you get flexibility instantly.
Speaker 1: And that flexibility it depends on what three core engineering ideas. We should probably clarify those quickly because they really are the foundation for M three sixty five working reliably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good idea. So first is high availability or HA. Basically, if one server goes down, another one just takes over immediately, no downtime for the user.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Then there's elasticity. That's the system's ability to automatically add or remove resources like processing, power or storage to perfectly match what's needed. Right. Then, say you acquire a company and suddenly need ten thousand more teams users.
Speaker 1: You get them straight away, You get it instantly.
Speaker 2: And third is agility, right, agility, which is just the ability to adapt quickly, deploy new apps or services fast. Need a new test environment, you can spin it up in minutes, not week for months like the old days. These three things are one. M three sixty five can operate on a massive global scale.
Speaker 1: So once we get the scale and the flexibility of the cloud. Where does M three sixty five actually fit in? The sources talk about a cloud service stack kind of like layers, right, four main categories exactly.
Speaker 2: It's helpful to think of it as layers built on top of each other. It's all about who manages what, the provider or you, the customer. At the very bottom, you've got infrastructure as a service IAS. This is the basic building blocks virtual machines, networks, storage. The provider secures the physical stuff, but you manage the OS, the apps, the data.
Speaker 1: Okay. Then moving up a level, platform is.
Speaker 2: A service boss. This gives developers an environment to build and test applications without worrying about the underlying servers or operating systems. The cloud provider takes care of all that infrastructure management underneath.
Speaker 1: And then at the top where M three sixty five mostly operates, software is a service.
Speaker 2: Sauce sauce yep. This is where the provider hosts and maintains well pretty much everything, the app implication itself, the infrastructure it runs on, all the updates, the security patches. You the user, just access the software over the internet. That's the main model for M three sixty five.
Speaker 1: So If Sauce is the main delivery model, how does Microsoft actually bundle all this capability up so businesses can buy it and use it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's basically what Microsoft three sixty five is. It's a unified cloud subscription service. It bundles together the office apps we know, but also newer things like Teams, includes Windows, the operating system, and a whole sophisticated security layer. It's all designed to boost productivity, make collaboration easier, and keep things secure across all sorts of devices for any size of organization.
Speaker 1: And they have different subscription types for those different sizes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they slice the market pretty logically. You got M three sixty five Home for individuals and families, M three sixty five Education for schools, M three sixty five for business, which usually aims at smaller companies saved to three hundred people, and then M three sixty five Enterprise. That's for the big players who need the really robust security, compliance features, advance threat prevention, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift focus to the user experience, productivity, collaboration, managing work. It's not just about opening word anymore, is it. It feels much more connected, almost AI driven totally.
Speaker 2: The classic tools Word, Excel, PowerPoint. They're now packed with AI features to help creativity. Think about Microsoft Editor checking your grammar as you type, or presenter coach in PowerPoint giving you feedback on your rehearsal. These aren't just static tools. They have intelligence built in to help you work faster and smarter.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing that often comes up is organizing work. Microsoft has several tools Project Planner to do even bookings. Why so many? How do you know which one to use?
Speaker 2: That's a really common and important question. It really is about using the right tool for the right job. So Microsoft Project that's your heavy hitter for complex projects, things with dependencies, critical path scheduling, think big construction projects or major product launches.
Speaker 1: Okay, the really complex stuff.
Speaker 2: That's right then Microsoft Planner. That's much more visual, collaborative, think simple boards, dragging tasks around. It's great for smaller team projects where you just need to see who's doing what.
Speaker 1: And for just yourself keeping track of your own tasks.
Speaker 2: That's Microsoft to do. It's your personal smart task list and the nice thing is it syncs up with Outlook, emails and tasks assigned to you in Planner. And lastly, Microsoft Bookings is purely for scheduling appointments with people outside your organization. It checks staff availability, integrates with Outlook calendars to avoid clashes.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, And the place where all this collaboration tends to happen now is, of course, Microsoft Teams.
Speaker 2: Teams is definitely the central hub. It pulls together chat, meetings, calls, and file sharing and a key point. Those files you share in Teams channels, they're actually stored securely in SharePoint on the back end, so you get all the robust version history and management capabilities of SharePoint behind the scenes and looking.
Speaker 1: At broader workplace challenges things like burnout, too many meetings information. Microsoft has introduced this thing called the Employee Experience Platform VIVA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Viva is Microsoft kind of acknowledging that just being productive isn't enough. You need to empower people. It's built as modules inside Teams. Viva Connections is like your company's front door in team's personalized news resources company branding. Viva Topics uses AI to automatically surface knowledge and find experts. So if you see an unfamiliar acronym or project name, Topics might pop up a little card explaining it right there. In your workflow.
Speaker 1: I think Viva Insights is probably the one getting the most attention right now, maybe the most needed.
Speaker 2: I'd agree. Insights gives you data driven but privacy protected recommendations. It can help you see if you're constantly working late, or if your calendar is just jammed with back to back meetings. It's about using data to improve well being and spot potential burnout. Definitely not about spying on people. And finally, Viva Learning brings together all your company's training resources and external libraries into one place in teams.
Speaker 1: Okay, that naturally leads us into security. If productivity is the engine, security has got to be the chassis, the frame holding it all together. Let's start with the basic goals the CIA triad.
Speaker 2: Right, confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Confidentiality is about keeping secret secret preventing unauthorized access to data. Integrity means making sure the data is accurate and hasn't been messed with, and availability is simply ensuring that people can access the data when they need to. Almost every cyber attack is trying to undermine one or more of those.
Speaker 1: Now, when you move to M three sixty five, probably the single most critical concept people need to get is shared responsibility. Microsoft doesn't just take over all your security worries.
Speaker 2: Absolutely vital remember that service deck because mfree sixty five is mostly SaaS Microsoft handles the security of the cloud, the physical buildings, the hardware, the network controls, but the customer, you are still responsible for security in the cloud. That means your data, your endpoints, laptop's phones, and critically managing who has exis identity and access management.
Speaker 1: And to protect the parts you're responsible for. M three sixty five uses a couple of key architectural ideas. First one is defense in depth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of it like layers of an onion or a castle. You've got multiple layers of security controls physical security at the data center, then network firewalls, then controls on the servers, then application security, then finally protecting the data itself. The idea is if one layer fails, the next one might catch the threat.
Speaker 1: And what's really shifted is the perimeter. With people working from home using their own devices, bid the old idea of a secure network boundary the firewall, it's just not the main thing.
Speaker 2: Anymore, exactly right. The perimeter is moved today. The primary security perimeter is the identity of the user. Can you reliably prove who the user is, what device they're using, where they are. If you can verify those things, you have a basis for granting access no matter if they're inside or outside the old office network.
Speaker 1: Which leads us straight to the core security philosophy underpinning M three sixty five zero row trust. What's the main idea there?
Speaker 2: The mantra is simple, never trust, Always verify, or maybe trust no one. Verify everything. Even if someone is already logged into the network. You don't automatically trust them, you constantly verify. Zero trust is built on three main principles.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's quickly touch on those.
Speaker 2: First, verify explicitly, always authenticate and authorize based on all available data points user identity, location, device, health, the service they're trying to reach, data classification, and so on. Second, Second, use least privileged access. Get people only the minimum permissions they need to do their job and only for the time they need it. Think just in time JIT access or just enough administration JEA. And Third, third, assume breach. Don't assume your network is secure. Design your security assuming attackers are already inside or will get inside. This means segmenting networks, encrypting data, using analytics to spot anomalies quickly, and being ready to respond.
Speaker 1: But doesn't all that verification slow things down? How do you make it or trust practical without frustrating users?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's where automation is key, specifically through something called conditional access policies. These were essentially if then rules. If a user meets certain conditions like known device, secure location, then grant access, but if they try to access sensitive data from say an unknown network on an unmanaged device, then block access or require multi factor authentication. It automates the verification, making it seamless when things are normal, but stepping in when risk increases.
Speaker 1: Got it, And to actually implement all this protection, Microsoft has an integrated suite called Microsoft three sixty five Defender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Defender isn't just one product, It's a suite design to work together, coordinating how threats are detected, prevented, investigated and responded to across your whole environment. You've got Defender Forry Identity, which looks at your active directory signals for signs of compromised accounts or insider threats. Okay, Defender for Office three sixty five protects against threats coming through email like phishing or malicious links shared in teams or shared point. Defender for endpoint lives on your device's laptops servers, providing antivirus, threat detection and automated investigation.
Speaker 1: Right there, and it goes beyond just the Microsoft stuff, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Critically. Defender for cloud apps is what's known as a CASB, a cloud access security broker. It gives you visibility and control over all the cloud apps your organization uses, whether they're from Microsoft or other providers like Salesforce or Box. It helps manage risk across your entire sauce landscape.
Speaker 1: And just quickly, let's define the two core identity terms, authentication and authorization.
Speaker 2: Sure authentication author is proving who you are, usually user name and password, but ideally more authorization auth Z is figuring out what you're allowed to do. Once you've proven who you are, what files you can see, what actions you can take. And for strong authentication, multi factor authentication MFA is essential. Something you know password, something you have phone apps, security key, or something you are fingerprint face scam okay.
Speaker 1: Final section management operations compliance managing all the devices connecting to m through sixty five, Windows, Macios, Android, personal devices. That sounds like a headache.
Speaker 2: It definitely can be without the right tools. That's where Microsoft Endpoint Manager or MEM comes in. It's a unified platform to manage all these different endpoints within MEM for managing mobile devices, specifically MDM, you generally have two main options built into M three sixty five. There's Basic Mobility and Security, which offers.
Speaker 1: Core controls and more powerful option.
Speaker 2: And then there's Microsoft in Tune that's really the gold standard. It gives you much more granular control over both the devices MDM and the applications on them, which is called Mobile Application Management or MDM.
Speaker 1: And these management policies they tie back into zero trust and conditional access right checking if a device is compliant exactly.
Speaker 2: Organizations set up policies through in tune, things like requiring device encryption, setting password rules, making sure the OS is up to date. Then conditional access policies can check that device compliance status before granting access. If your phone doesn't meet the security requirements, it might not be allowed to access company email for example.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what about keeping everything up to date? We hear about Windows as a Service wass.
Speaker 2: WES basically means Windows isn't a product you buy once and used for years. It's a service that's continually updated. You get big feature updates, usually twice a year, that add new capabilities, and then you get smaller, monthly quality updates that are mostly about security patches and reliability fixes. The Microsoft three sixty five apps, Word, Excel, et cetera are also updated frequently, often monthly, using a technology called click to run that makes updates pretty seamless. It's an evergreen approach.
Speaker 1: So constant change. And for the IT admins managing all this, their main control panel is the Microsoft three sixty five Admin Center.
Speaker 2: That's the central place yes for managing user accounts, licenses, subscriptions, billing. It's also where they can access various reports, including things like activity reports showing how people are using the tools, or linking out to things like Viva Insights for those deeper productivity and well being metrics.
Speaker 1: Last piece, compliance and trust. How does Microsoft help organizations with their own due diligence, proving they meet regulations managing privacy.
Speaker 2: Well, The first place to look is the Service Trust Portal or STP. That's Microsoft's public site where they share all their own compliance certifications, audit reports, and detailed information about their security and privacy practices. It helps you understand Microsoft side of the shared responsibility model.
Speaker 1: And for the customer side of compliance, things like where data is stored.
Speaker 2: Key issues there are data sovereignty and data residency, knowing physically where your data is stored because different countries have different laws governing data privacy and access. M three sixty five offers options control data residency for core services in specific regions.
Speaker 1: And dealing with individual privacy requests like under GDPR. That must be a big task.
Speaker 2: Now it is, and that's where Microsoft Priva fits in. It's a newer set of tools designed to help organizations manage privacy risks more automatically. You could help discover where personal data resides, manage consent, and automate fulfilling data subject requests like request for access or deletion, which could be a huge manual effort.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, Okay, let's try and wrap this huge deep dive up Microsoft three sixty five. Yea clearly way more than just apps. It's this massive integrated platform changing how companies budget for it, that CAPEX to OPEC shift and fundamentally changing how they need to think about security absolutely.
Speaker 2: If there are two big takeaways for you, the listener, it's probably these. First, identity is the new control plane, the new perimeter, so embracing a zero trust mindset isn't really optional anymore. And second, you absolutely have to understand and own your part of the shared responsibility model. Microsoft provides powerful tools, but if you don't configure them correctly, manage identities, properly, apply the right policies, the security responsibility and the potential fallout lands squarely on you.
Speaker 1: All right, So here's the final thought we want to leave you with. M three sixty five is described as an evergreen product. It's constantly changing, always improving, rolling out new features, sometimes in private preview, then public preview, then finally general availability. So, given this constant stream of updates and new tools, what's the single most important organizational process you should focus on getting right? First? Think about what you need to make sure your teams can actually use these new features safely and effectively without just getting overwhelmed by the pace of change.
Speaker 2: It's a good question to ponder because if your people can't learn about and adopt the new capabilities securely, well, then you're not really getting the full value out of the platform, are you. It points towards needing a solid process for continuous learning and change management.
Speaker 1: Definitely something to think about. We'll catch you next time on the Deep Dive