Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, babies and they're diapers. Welcome to the Tiberia Show with your host Brias.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 3: St Me Tivis.
Speaker 4: And welcome to the Tiberia Show today.
Speaker 5: And I'm your host, BBS Boy. And as always we're taking out different jobs and how they affect the world around us.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: Today's guest is a former prosecutor, criminal defense lawyer, courtroom attorney, veteran of the United States Marine Corps and Florida Army National Guard, and now a candidate for circuit judge.
Speaker 4: Here in Central Florida. Please help me welcome.
Speaker 5: The one, the only, stay amazing Steve Chirsties.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that generous welcome.
Speaker 4: You're welcome, and thank you for being on the show.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're very welcome. All right.
Speaker 5: So for Steve, my listeners they don't know exactly what is a prosecutor.
Speaker 4: So what does it do?
Speaker 2: So a prosecutor enforces the law. Essentially, we all know about police officers and their role in the criminal justice system. They're out there on the streets protecting people. They're on the front lines, putting their lives their selves at risk in order to keep us all safe. But what happens to the case after that? Once a police officer arrests someone, once they take them to jail, what happens then? That's the case when lawyers get involved, judges get involved, and prosecutors get involved. Prosecutors take the case from law enforcement most of the time. There are some exceptions to that put above ninety nine percent of the time, prosecutors take the cases from law enforcement and then take it from there. They file formal charges and present evidence in courts and represent things state of Florida the people of their community.
Speaker 5: So when you first became a prosecutor, what did you think the job was going to be like?
Speaker 2: So I knew that it involved a lot of courtroom work. I knew that it would be exciting, and that's what I wanted. I was still really young at that time, even though I was a little bit older than most of my peers because I went in the military after high school. But I was still pretty young and I wanted a more exciting job. And I knew that being a prosecutor get would be more exciting because you're in the courtroom more than anyone else because you have all the cases. So you're in court almost every day of the week, depending on the judge. Especially as a new prosecutor, you have a lot more cases than everyone else because you have the cases that are more common and frequent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So what is the difference between what people see on TV and what prosecutors actually do?
Speaker 2: So it really so there's different levels of prosecution when you start as a prosecutor. I think that's the part that you don't see on TV because you're handling simple batteries, do UIs trespass, possession of cannabis, et cetera. Yeah, so you're handling things that people wouldn't find that exciting enough to be on a television show. You're and there's that's the bulk of cases. There are a lot of those cases. Are people getting arrested on those things on a fairly frequent basis. So you're handling the tough stuff. From the standpoint of that, not everyone thinks your cases are so exciting, So so they're harder from that standpoint.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So is it just about winning cases or is it about doing what's right?
Speaker 2: So it's one hundred percent about doing what's right. We are we are considered law enforcement. However, in the court room, you have to tell the truth. One thing that people would be surprised to know about lawyers is lawyers are much more honest then they're usually portrayed on television or in jokes or what have you. We have a high standard lawyers do. Cannot allow someone to lie in the courtroom. That's a really big thing that they stress in law school and in practice as well. So it absolutely is about truth coming out, the truth being important, having evidence to support what it is that you're alleging in court, and without the truth, you know, there's the justice system really breaks down.
Speaker 4: So how do prosecutors decide what charges are fair?
Speaker 2: So the individual prosecutors shouldn't be, you know, making those decisions all by themselves, just in a vacuum. Of course, you have an elected state attorney, of course, who sets the tone of the office. And of course they're elected, so hopefully they're setting the tone as the people want it to be because of the people elected that elected state attorney, so they set the tone. But they don't work in a vacuum either, you know, any state attorney, they're elected to enforce the law. Of course, they don't write the law. Prosecutors law enforcement, they're part of the executive branch of government. And of course the people who write the laws are the legislature. They write the laws, law enforcement enforce the social laws.
Speaker 4: So what does it mean to seek justice instead of just trying to win?
Speaker 2: Seeking justice means that you have to let the evidence tell you what to do. The evidence, the law. It's not about what you think happened. It's not about what you want to happen. It's not what you want that or what you personally think should happen. It's about the law and the evidence striving your decisions.
Speaker 4: So what skills should a teenager work on if they want to work.
Speaker 2: In the legal field? Read? Reading, reading, comprehension, writing, You know, writing is going to change.
Speaker 4: My teachers can't read mine, so how are they going to read it?
Speaker 2: Well, that's okay, there's nobody writes things out. There's typewriters of course, are not typewriters, but keyboards of course.
Speaker 5: Well, of all the legal TV shows and movies, which is the most realistic.
Speaker 2: The one that lawyers If I know you've talked to other lawyers before, and I assume they've told you this before, But my cousin Vinny, everyone points to comedies I think have a better opportunity to get things right because they can give you something that may be boring, but then tell you a joke afterwards and it makes it palatable. Yeah, so you can have this real thing that might not be that exciting, but then you take tell itself. Someone tell a joke and then everyone laughs and then it's okay and it's entertaining. And my cousin Vinnie of course does that. There's lots of silly moments in that show. But if you take out the silliness, that shows you a very realistic.
Speaker 4: All right. Well, so I mean it's not like better Call Saul or anything. Right, So it's like better Call Salt. Isn't the most realistic I don't think so. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Aline.
Speaker 4: Well, here's just like a good time to quick commercial break.
Speaker 2: Let's see word for our sponsors.
Speaker 6: Oakridge Gun Range is a family oriented shooting range that has been in business for over thirty years. They specialized in basic firearm training and author numerous services such as consignments, gun trates, gunsmithing, and counshial whipping classes.
Speaker 5: I even got my.
Speaker 6: Training for gun safety at Olkridge Gun Range. Great customer service and firearm safety is what.
Speaker 4: They do best.
Speaker 6: To find out more at olkridgegun range dot com.
Speaker 5: And we're back Here is a former prosecutor, criminal defense attorney and surge judge candidate, Steve Kirsty's all right, Steve, So now you're running for a circuit judge.
Speaker 4: So what exactly does a circuit judge do?
Speaker 2: So let me just back up. I should say that I am a prosecutor. Now, I was a prosecutor then I left to win in a private practice where I did quite a few different things. I worked in civil sum on the civil said both plain of fan defense on the civil side, and then a few years ago I did go back to the State Attorney's office to serve the community in that role again. And now I've forgotten your question.
Speaker 4: What exactly does a circuit judge running for?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 2: So a circuit judge can do any number of things, and it really depends. So a circuit judge can be it depends where you're stationed. Essentially, you can be stationed in a domestic violence injunction court that also deals with family matters, so you could do that. You could work in a criminal of course, there's also a civil courts of course, that handles the bulk of the civil matters, but there are also specialty courts. There is a juvenile court, dependency court. So there's quite a few different things you can do, and if you're a judge long enough, then you can do quite a few number, quite a number of these things. But it really depends.
Speaker 4: So how is a circuit judge different from a regular judge.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know what you mean by regular judge. But so there's county judges, there's circuit judges, there's appellate courts, and then there's the Florida Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court. The county court deals with misdemeanors, which a misdemeanor is a crime punishable by a year or less. They also deal with civil matters lower dollar amounts, and even that they break it up into small claims, and then regular county court. Outside of small claims, then you have circuit court that deals with felonies and then deals with the higher dollar civil matters. And then they also do with the domestic violence. They deal with well, domestic violence injunctions. Sorry, domestic violence can also be handled in county court as well. If it's dealing with misdemeanors.
Speaker 4: So what type of preparation what a judge need to do before a.
Speaker 2: Case before a case, Again, it depends, And that's a really good lawyer answer. By the way, they teach you this in law school and they tell you, you know, they say it over and over again. Oftentimes you ask a lawyer something and the answer should be it depends. If it really should because it depends. It depends on the facts of the case and of what type of case it is, et cetera. So for a judge to prepare for court, it depends what kind of court you're talking about. If we're talking about domestic the injunction side of things, of course you would want to read the petition the person is filed in order to apply for the injunction. You know, you want to know what's going on there, what's being alleged. If you're talking about a family case, you might want to look at the pleadings to see what people have filed, what's in the portfile. Oftentimes, what this kind of boils down to is looking at the portfile, looking in the portfile, seeing what's going to be on your docket, reviewing pleadings, reviewing motions and seeing what's going on, so you have some kind of an idea of what's going to take place that day, and you can brush up on the law if you need to, perhaps pronounce some statues case law if you need to, So you don't have to rely entirely on the parties, because the parties may come in prepared, they may not come in prepared. They might be pro se, meaning there is no lawyer, and then they're not going to know the law typically, So you really need to prepare yourself the best you can depending on what's going on in that particular day. But your day to day activities really can vary.
Speaker 4: So how does a judge keep emotions from taking over?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So that's, you know, that's a life thing that that has nothing to do with the law, that has nothing to do with anything you learned in law school. That's something that I would say two things. Number One, it helps if you're just born a little more pre disposed to keep your cool. But it's also something of course that you can you can learn, you can train yourself for to keep yourself calm, also to watch out for you know, what it is that triggers you, so to speak what gets you excited, and know that when that happens, you need to step back.
Speaker 5: So can a judgem like a ruling that's based on the situation, even if the act was against the law.
Speaker 2: All right, So we talked a little bit off camera here about this question, and essentially what we're talking about is jury nullification, I believe is what we're talking about. So we don't always know why a jury does what they do. A jury just has to answer two questions unless they're special findings. But let's just keep it simple and say that typically a jury says guilty or not guilty in a criminal case. Of course, in a civil case, verdict is going to be different, of course, But in a criminal case, it's gonna say guilty or not guilty. Not guilty doesn't mean innocent. It can mean that state didn't meet their burden. It could mean that a applicable affirmative defense applies to the case, so they were justified, they were legally justified, or the jury's not told this. But there is such a thing as jury notification, and there's nothing that anyone can do about it. If the injury once the jury comes back not guilty, the verdict is concluded, So you're asking whether or not a judge can do that a jury, and in cases when there's not a jury in the case, again, you're not always gonna know. Just like you don't always know why a jury does something, you're not always going to know why a judge does something. Either. A judge is required to follow the law, of course, but sometimes the judge or any whoever. The try or fact is that that's another legal term for the person who has to decide the facts of the case. Like a jury. A jury is to try or fact. So if there's no jury, that means the judge is therefore the tryer effect. So if a judge rules in favor of one party, you might think it's during nullification, but you won't really know that unless the judge just happens to tell you. So, Yes, there is discretion in there to determine the facts that they are in fact the try or fact, so they can determine the facts based upon their perception of the evidence and the witnesses, etc.
Speaker 4: So, if you became circuit judge, what kind of cases would you want to preside over?
Speaker 2: I would like to think that a judge should go into this sort of thing will with a willingness to accept whatever it is the chief judge gives you. So the chief judge in our circuit, I believe it works the same in most circuits. The chief judge assigns the judges, and the chief judge will assign whoever is elected to a position. And it's better for the person coming in to have a willingness to accept whatever rule they're given, because you're going to come in. When you come into the as a new judge, you're going to be the lowest person, or at least one of if there's more than one election, you're gonna be one of the lower people on the totem pool. So you're not going to get what you want. You're not going to be able to go in demanding things because everyone else that's been there longer than you. Yeah, so there needs to be a willingness to say I will go where you you wish me to serve. I will do my role well no matter where I am placed.
Speaker 4: Well. On that note, that's another quick break to pray them thills.
Speaker 7: The time Berrier Show would like to thank one of their dedicated sponsors, Custom Designs Orlando.
Speaker 6: These guys are on.
Speaker 7: Mills Avenue and do all sorts of stuff ranging from photo ID badges and grave signs, custom braille EIGHTYA signs by a letter, into trophies and awards. The cool part about Custom Designs is they can ship products all over the United States. You can reach them at four oh seven eight nine eight zero three seven three and tell them that time sence you.
Speaker 5: And we're back here with Steve Carestes. So, Steve, what is your big why for deciding to run for circuit judge?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: Experience, dedication to service, having something meaningful, having experience that is meaningful to offer to the community, to offer myself up to the community as someone willing to serve in this role, in its very demanding role. I have twenty years of legal experience, and in that experience, as you've we've talked about here on the show, experience on both sides of criminal cases, both sides of civil cases. And not only that twenty years of legal experience, but also my military experience as well. You know, we didn't even talk about other things, you know, just other life experiences that led me to this place of wanting to serve, wanting to offer myself up to the people of this community to say, if you want me, I'm here. I'm here to serve. I want to serve for you. I want to work hard for the citizens of Orange and Ostiola County. All right, So what is something that you did not expect you our writing this campaign. Well, so my wife ran a few years ago, so I had some clue about what to expect. The things that you can. There's things you can prepare for and things you can't prepare for. I suppose the interactions with people, they're usually great and they're very enjoyable, you know, meeting meeting strangers and talking with strangers can be fun when they know who you are and know what's going on, and that helps when you're wearing a T shirt that says you're running for elections, so that helps. But there are people out there who just do not want to be bothered and who want nothing to do with you whatsoever, and can get quite angry about it. So that's not, you know, super fun.
Speaker 4: So what do you believe makes someone ready to be a judge?
Speaker 2: Experience, experience, a willingness to serve, a demeanor. That's something that is incredibly important. You know, you don't want someone on the bench who's going to be angry. You don't want someone who hates being there. You know, you have to wonder sometimes when you see an angry judge on the bench, well, why are you there? You don't have to do this. Why did you choose this profession if you hate being here, if you hate being in the courtroom. So me, I've spent years of my work life in the courtroom. I have lived in courtrooms you know, work life, of course, and I know what it's like because I've been there. I've spent so much time there. It's a place where I'm very comfortable place I like to be, a place where I'm comfortable speaking with people and being friendly, you know, engaging and being you know, with everyone that you have to engage with. It's not just the parties, you know, there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. You have to work with deputies, you're working with clerks, and these people don't work for you. You work with them, and you may be a leader in the courtroom, they don't work for you. So you know, a good demeanor and experience in the courtroom is vital. So when you're not working, what do you do for fun? Ah, what I do for fun? I'd love to spend time with my family, of course, my wife, my son. I love spending time with my son. We we like to find movies we like to watch, We like to go for walks, we like to walk places. We've really my wife, she really got me into walking, and we really do like to walk quite a few places. And we don't mind walking long distances to go to eat and that kind of thing. So and walking with your family, it's a really enjoyable experience because there's no there's not as many distractions.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, is there anything else you know the sty to know about you and.
Speaker 5: What you do?
Speaker 2: So I have in my role as a prosecutor, I haven't just tried cases. I haven't only handled cases at the State Attorney's office. I've also been a leader there and supervisor and teacher of young attorneys. And something I often tell young attorneys is when you have the burden of proof, when you're trying to convince a jury of something or anyone of something, then you should repeat yourself and you should make sure you highlight and repeat the things that are important, because if you tell someone once, they're often probably not going to remember if you tell it to him multiple times and they'll remember. So again, I've been an attorney for twenty years. I have lived most of my work career in the courtroom. I am comfortable in the court room because of the amount of time I've spent there, the amount of time I've spent on the planet side, defense side, prosecutor defense, all of these things that it goes into the experience that I've gained over the past twenty years working at large law firm, small law firms, working in public practice, working in private practice. Even before I was a lawyer, my time in the military and my four years of active duty in the Marine Corps, being able to travel around the world. I was stationed in Okinawa Arms, stationed on the ship for a while and went around South America, even went to go to Africa aboard a ship. And then after I got out the active duty in the Marine Corps, I joined the Ford Army National Guard, served there for three years while I was an undergrad, and all of that experience I like to bring to the people of Orange and Ostila County. So I'm asking for their vote for Steve Keresty's for Circuit judge on August the eighteenth of this year, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: Thanks all right, Well, what is that one question that you think I forgot to ask you?
Speaker 2: You know, when I thought about this question beforehand, I was gonna talk more about family, but I've already talked quite a bit about that. You know, what's most important to me? And like I said before, it really is my family. You know, being a dad has just been the greatest thing that's ever happened to me, you know, obviously, more than being a lawyer, more than any amount of money that I have that I've earned. Being a dad. It's just an incredibly rewarding experience. So any chance to ask about my family and being a husband. And I love my wife dearly. She really is my best friend. She you know, really does just really is just perfect for me. We still like each other. We've been married for quite a few years now, we still like each other. We still want to be around each other and spend time together. So yeah, the family. You know, I could go on about it all day.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you Steve for being my shuttle guest. Can you stick around for math corners?
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, Tiber's favorite sub it's math corners.
Speaker 4: And now it's time for math corners. Thank you so much Steve for having with math corners. And this week we're gonna talk about canvassing an area for a campaign.
Speaker 5: Now, a lot of people think running for offices just putting up signs and shaking hands, but campaigns also have to plan their time, how many doors they can reach, and make sure volunteers are using their hours wisely. So, since you're running for Circuit Jodge, I thought this would be the perfect math problem for today. All right, all right, a campaign team is canvassing a neighborhood. Each volunteer can knock on eighteen doors in one hour. The campaign has five volunteers and they canvas for three hours on Saturday. How many doors can the team knock on all together?
Speaker 2: I love that you've asked me this question because because it gives it gives me the opportunity to take that question and then give it back to you and say, do you know the answer to this question?
Speaker 4: It's just three times eighteen times five.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's so easy.
Speaker 5: It's not that bad.
Speaker 4: I mean, are you also just take can you do that? I don't know, I'll figure it out.
Speaker 5: Well, first, this is a a great role problem because you know, campaigns have to use maths, you know, plan out how many people they can reach in a certain amount of time. Let's break it down step by step. So first we know that onevolunteer can knock on eighteen doors in one hour. There are five volunteers, so eighteen times five.
Speaker 4: Is ninety doors. That means the whole team can knock on ninety doors in one hour. So far it's and easy. So the team can then canvas is.
Speaker 5: For three hours, So we multiply ninety times three for two hundred and seventy doors. That means the campaign team can knock on two hundred and seventy doors altogether.
Speaker 4: Now that's a lot of door knocking.
Speaker 5: If I knocks on two hundred sevy doors in one day, my hand would probably need.
Speaker 4: Its own campaign and managers because it would just be tired. Yeah, I wouldn't want to do anything.
Speaker 2: You might need a brace.
Speaker 5: Well, my theater said that I would use math every single day. How do you use math in your work?
Speaker 2: How do I use math in my work? So a lot of times you have to count the amount of the evidence the items is. You know when you're if you're a player's attorney and you have the burden of proof as a prosecutor or on the suicide. You need to know how much evidence you have. You need to know the items that you have, and oftentimes it's helped when you're preparing to number these things out. A lot of times the judgement ask you how many witnesses do you have, how many evidence, your items you have? How long is this going to take? And you know you need to have some kind of idea to be able to add these things together, not just the exhibits or the number of testifying individuals, but knowing how much time that these people are going to take on the stand, some witness because witnesses can be very brief, some can be very long. So there is some math there that you need to know how much time you have and how much time you're going to need.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much, Steve for your help with mathic moneys.
Speaker 2: Probably you're very welcome.
Speaker 4: Now it's time for the Heart of the line.
Speaker 5: As you know, we talk about the qualities of living for the heart of the line, which stands for leadership, integrity, obedience.
Speaker 2: And ability.
Speaker 4: So this week we're going to talk about leadership.
Speaker 5: For me I think leadership is the active loving what is good, having self control and being disciplined qualities of leadership, or a providing guide into in direction organization and being a positive influence on other least. So recently I got my learners permit so I can actually learn how to dry. My dad's been teaching me a little lot bit out of the time. But instead of giving me the keys and telling me to just drive around, he took the time to make those sections of time, with each covering a certain area of driving. We started up parking lot practice acceleration and turning as well as it going in reverse into a parking space.
Speaker 4: Then we did a cobblestone road and going in and out of driveways as well as stopping at stop signs. Then we did a two lane road Edgewater drive, you know, just to go to the dollar store.
Speaker 5: So after a week he said, I was finally try ready to try on the on ramp to I four, but I had to get off on the next exit so it could gain confidence for the speeds of a highway. For the most part, all was good. He only screamed and jumped out of his chair once or one or two times, but you know, What really matters is that my dad is, you know, leading me by pat by being patient. He gives me direction lest we practice, corrects me when I need help. That gives you another chance to do better. That made me realize that leadership is not always about telling someone everything that they did wrong. Sometimes we're just about breaking a big thing into smaller steps so that someone can grow without feeling overwhelmed. My dad showed leadership by helping me build confidence on one small goal at a time. Now I'm learning that becoming responsible does not happen all at once. It happens by practicing, listening, and improving.
Speaker 2: Little by little.
Speaker 4: So, Steve, do you have an example of leadership that you saw this week?
Speaker 2: An example of leadership I saw this week? I certainly hope so, because I've been to dad all week long, So I hope I've been leading you. A positive away from my son, for sure, but you can lead. When I was in the Marine Corps, they're all about leadership. They talk about leadership from the very beginning, which might sound funny because when you're in boot camp here the lowest person literally on the totem pole of anyone in the military. But they still talk to you about leadership and how important it is that if you find yourself in that role, that you have to be able to take up the managel and lead. So you can lead in many different ways. And one of the ways you're always leading as a parent is by your actions, by the way you behave, by the way you treat other people. And that's a constant every day, everything that comes out of your mouth. You have to watch what you're saying. You have to be intentional about what you say about your actions, because your children are watching you and you are leading them, even if you don't think that you really are, but you are.
Speaker 4: Of course, we should always try to be lying show. I'm gonna everything we do.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't leave, Yes, we should.
Speaker 4: And that's our show, folks.
Speaker 5: On a thank no one the only d amazing Steve cast spur being on my show.
Speaker 4: It has been so much on tig of Today.
Speaker 5: If a lot about your burt in the legal field and you're running for circuit judge.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much for having me. This was a blast, No.
Speaker 4: Problem, man. Do you mind giving your social media we upset again, so where we can.
Speaker 2: Vote for you? Yes, vote for Steve Kurest's on August the eighteenth, and go to elect Krestes to learn more Electcrestes dot com.
Speaker 5: All right, well, was gonna find me on Facebook and Instagram the hyperger show and I would have to thank if your fours en Am Canton ninety eight, so we do twenty four seven Easy Way TV and all the other stations are Aeron out and police bahvisit every show and YouTube and hit that subscribe button and Steve, are you subscribed yet?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: I am. I subscribed earlier today.
Speaker 4: Okay, well this week.
Speaker 5: Murray Load says when you're when are you airing Liberty Troll? And OBM six one five says God is good. Well, thanks OBM for watching the show, and yes, God is great.
Speaker 4: And for Murray law Load.
Speaker 5: I don't know when it's coming out because we favorite record shows, so I don't know when it's coming out during the show, but it.
Speaker 4: Should be there earlier.
Speaker 5: It should be there by now at least, but b sitly a comment on my videos and I might even mention yours at the end of the show and also be showed to this US next NBA show with your Tiberias.
Speaker 1: Show is not filmed in front of a live studio audience, Executive producer Joseph Boy, Social media Shelley Costello, host assistant Giselle Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: And Your Program host Joy Buria.
Speaker 2: The Tiberia Show is copyright twenty eighteen.