Speaker 1: This is the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one, streaming on the iHeartRadio app. We're taking a little vacation, so we're off today, but we hope you'll enjoyed this from earlier this year, The Stories We Love.
Speaker 2: From the Lestra host Studio D one, The Only Tusha.
Speaker 3: Thank you mister Felix. All right.
Speaker 4: Vogue recently covered this fashion trend that was huge in the eighties that's coming back, and you, guys, I don't know if this is something that should be happening or not. It was all over the runways this past season. It's showing up in all the magazines, and if you look closely, it's showing up already on the racks and stores. And that is eighties shoulder pads. Oh, big giant shoulder pads in suits, blazers, blouses. It was kind of a short lived back in the eighties. It seems longer than apparently what it was because I totally embraced it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're wondering.
Speaker 4: They're wondering if it's actually coming back, if it's going to have a little bit more staying power now, or if it's going to like be in and out like it was in the eighties.
Speaker 5: I liked it in the eighties, did you guys not like it?
Speaker 6: I like it kind of worked better because the hair was big, yes, the proportion. Yeah, now it's going to be wrecked, very broad shoulders and little peanut head.
Speaker 4: I think it's look more clownish because people don't have is your your big giant hair balanced out the wide shoulder pads.
Speaker 6: Now it's going to be more like the beetlejuice kind of thing.
Speaker 3: You're right when it said's all small.
Speaker 2: What A lot of stuff was oversized in the eighties though, right, Sweaters.
Speaker 6: Shirts baggy?
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Yeah, sweater's down to almost your knees.
Speaker 2: I'm cool with the shoulder pads, but I draw the line at the jelly shoes.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I wear the jellies.
Speaker 4: Those are when I was little Landryard, when she was a tiny land we were jellies.
Speaker 5: She did.
Speaker 6: Who thought crocs would make a comeback? They were huge, then completely gone and now bigger than ever because I.
Speaker 2: Did all those marketing deals with like post Malone and stuff that worked, You know what I mean? What about guys eighties fashions parachute.
Speaker 5: Pants on the way back. Had any did did you? JB?
Speaker 6: Did I have parachute pants? I don't think I ever did. I couldn't afford that stuff. The trendy stuff, what were the There were I think what they called zoom Zoomba's pants.
Speaker 2: That guys, a lot of meathead muscle guys wore them, and they were like kind of like sweatpants, but they were taping a colored band hammer pants like and kind of yeah, but they were like workout pants.
Speaker 5: Do you remember those?
Speaker 6: Yeah? And then there was the zekavariceese.
Speaker 5: Oh couldn't.
Speaker 3: Oh those were huge when I was in high.
Speaker 2: School, very pleated and yeah we got we got those on bas like five years after they went out of style, and they were they were called D D beava ICI's.
Speaker 5: There were some crap acid washed jeans.
Speaker 3: Are those coming back? I don't know. I mean it's all cyclical. We've already gone through some of the seventy stuff coming back.
Speaker 4: I bet all the eighties stuff will make an appearance again and then just go right back out.
Speaker 5: It might. It might the Valor track suit, No, I can't do that.
Speaker 3: I mean that's nothing but comfortable. Why you met?
Speaker 4: Why would a'tybody be that at that, especially.
Speaker 5: If you mix in a gold chain with the Yeah, the lower.
Speaker 4: Tracksuit, the bucket hat was that more nineties?
Speaker 2: Remember the bucket yea, it was more nineties than the radicals guy remember him?
Speaker 3: That was yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: But the real tracksuit from the eighties was the the stuff that was like the windbreaker stuff, not valure real bright colors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, h per material.
Speaker 6: See the members did will now or some people like my daughter or snags that stuff up it goodwill or whatever.
Speaker 5: So you remember the members only jackets?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, But but but you got made fun of in the members only jacket, right.
Speaker 5: Not in the eighties you didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at one point it was cool, yeah that you got beat up in the nineties for it.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was the nineties that I'm thinking of. Yeah, right, Well, so the big big shoulder pads are coming back.
Speaker 4: I'll see if I can if I kept my my white three quarter length cotton jacket that had plaint paint splatters on it with my big giant shoulder pads.
Speaker 6: Did I remember?
Speaker 4: Paint splatters was big too in the eighties. You can't tell me nothing when I had that jacket.
Speaker 5: Are you trying to get into a Duran Duran video.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I were to parties. I it was my party coat. I thought I was so cool.
Speaker 5: Oh maybe you were.
Speaker 6: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighties station one oh three point one.
Speaker 2: We're taking some time off. We hope you and joy this from earlier this year.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We asked you just a second ago, if I told you there were eight billionaires in Austin, would you say that number is too low, or it is too high, or it is exactly right?
Speaker 5: JB? What is that number? Is eight? To higher? Too low? Too low?
Speaker 6: I remember it being a big deal when we had four billionaires. Now there are twelve in the Austin area, twelve twelve.
Speaker 3: Billion around among us.
Speaker 6: Wow, and you'll recognize some of the names. Of course, Elon Musk is one of a net worth of I mean approaching four hundred billion.
Speaker 5: You can live on that.
Speaker 6: At the age of fifty three. Michael Dell, of course, he's worth about ninety seven billionaire or so. The numbers are crazy. Robert Smith, Robert F. Smith, he from Vista Equity Partners. He's not as high like a celebrity kind of one. He's more of an investment guy. But he's been in Austin a long time. I never heard of him. Joe Gebbia, co founder of Airbnb.
Speaker 5: He lives in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 6: Was worth seven point eight billion. I mean, I'm sure these numbers are a loft and they probably all lost a billion in the last day or.
Speaker 3: Two couple of days.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I think they'll be okay.
Speaker 5: I'd like to talk to that Airbnb guy. I've got a buddy.
Speaker 2: He's got a real problem in his neighborhood with an Airbnb.
Speaker 5: Really a real problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like twenty five cars and production vehicles and all kinds of stuff going on in his neighborhood.
Speaker 3: That's like your problem you had.
Speaker 4: Jb The Bachelorette, horrible.
Speaker 6: Airbnb neighbor ty Lee. She is the CEO of Is it she or Shy International?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: She's sixty six years old. She's worth about seven billion. Joseph Lamont six point two billion from Trilogy that's where he met.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, is Kendrick Scott on there? You know what?
Speaker 3: Would she be a billionaire?
Speaker 5: I think she hit the billionaire mark.
Speaker 6: She must be just below. She is not on this list, but I know she's approaching a billion. She will be soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's five hundred million.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: How it's closer to billionaire than MEI and eighty million.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she'll she'll be a billionaire in the next decade. Of course, she rolled out that new Yellow Rose concept too, just to add it added to the pile. Yes, Bert, Tito Burt Beverige. Oh yeah, four point seven billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, huh that Tito's vodka. Man kind of caught on.
Speaker 6: Gus kind of caught on. Yeah. I don't know this guy's name or the company. Hayes Barnard a co founder of good Leap. Not sure what good Leap is, but he's worth over a few billion.
Speaker 5: And these are all Austin Nights that are billionaires. There's twelve of them.
Speaker 6: You said, John Paul DeJoria is probably a name, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul Mitchell.
Speaker 6: He made a lot from Paul Mitchell, but probably the most from Patron.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually got to spend some time with him one on one. Well, there was three of us. A buddy of mine introduced me to him and we hung out one day. You want to talk about a nice guy. Yeah, he was so cool.
Speaker 6: I've listened to I've met him, like no conversation or anything, and said hello, his he has this cool turn of the century train car that they used for Patron that they had parked in Austin. Downtown Austin, you know where the train station is? Yeah, during south By one year and I ducked on there and his brother was really nice. And I've listened to some interviews of him. He's just man, he's so what a story, what a story too?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: David Booth is another billionaire, co founder of Dimensional Fund Advisors. He's worth two and a half billion. Joe Lonsdale worth a couple of billion, managing partner at eight VC. James Trouchard, co founder of National Instruments. Oh he's up there. He's eighty one years old. But there they are. There's the dozen And you're right, we should see Kender Scott on there soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 2: And we've gone from four to twelve in what the last fifteen.
Speaker 5: Years or Soah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: He used to be like being a millionaire was a big deal. Yeah in Austin for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Now it seems like pusha as.
Speaker 4: Back in the day when you get excited if you saw a Ferrari or Larry Yeah, yeah all the time.
Speaker 6: Nobody pays it's true there. Yeah, there was a time when the only exotic cars you would see on a regular basis, what I would say, are like some nice nine to elevens. Yeah, you didn't see very many Ferraris. You definitely didn't see Lambos. I probably see a Lamborghini every day. You see McLaren's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do still get excited if I see it Bentley every once in a while. You see it Bentley, which those are just cool locking cars.
Speaker 5: Do you remember JB.
Speaker 2: We used to joke that we knew that it was Code it was us Grand Prix time out at Coda because there was an orange Lambo that showed up every single year, and you'd see it just driving around Austin.
Speaker 6: Screaming around town. Yeah yeah, right through the RPMs big time. Yes, I still get that on on the South Congress down where I live. You still get the you get the Lambos screaming up and down the road.
Speaker 2: Didn't you say there's a there's like a crazy motorcycle culture down there too, or burn it?
Speaker 6: They Yeah, it's It's one of those things that you used to only see in La where you'd see a mob of people dirt bikes and four runners just kind of taking over the streets and doing wheelies and up and down Congress. I mean, it doesn't bother me. When they do the takeovers and they block the streets, that's a problem. But if they're just APD put a clamp down on that, yeah, mess around with that. But I see a lot of them just hot dogging around. And now I'm seeing a bunch of groups of younger people on e bikes just as like a little social ride, and they're doing wheelies all around town. But not like the bicycles like e motos. They're more of a hybrid.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, there is a wheelie club in Austin.
Speaker 5: Did you know that?
Speaker 6: Oh man, I'm so jealous. That is I've never been able to do a wheelie and I it's just something I've always wanted to do and never learned it as a kid or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was fraid to do it.
Speaker 2: Check out their insta it's five to one to two Wheelie Crew. You'll love this, JB. You'll love this. It's just cool. Videos of them in and around Austin with their bikes. They've got like neon on their tires and stuff and in their frames and they're just riding wheelies and having fun on their bicycles.
Speaker 5: It's cool.