Speaker 1: It's Game two of the NLDS and we're joined right now by the Dodgers starting center fielder Tommy Edmond, who had a huge impact on the game last night. Tommy, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. It was a fun game last night. Good to get that first win out of the way.
Speaker 1: Hey, I think back to the fourth inning a couple of weeks ago actually against these San Diego Padres, you came up with a big double from the left side to really ignite a rally. Last night, from the left side again, you do it a different way, laying down a bunch to start that big three run rally. Can you just take us through what you saw and when it started to enter your game plan to maybe hey, I can get on base this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw Machado back at third base, you know, usually the third baseman play me in. I think with one strike he backed off a little bit, and I saw my opportunity, you know, and just trying to get a little something going in those in those middle innings, and fortunately we had a couple of good at bats after me, which led to a rally.
Speaker 1: You had one strike on you when you laid down that bunt when you step out of the box and you just survey the field, did you notice that before the first pitch was thrown or did you notice it after that strike one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's after the strike one. I think he was up playing up on the grass with no strikes and then with one strike he backed off, which is what a lot of third basemen tend to do. So yeah, just saw the opportunity.
Speaker 1: It feels like that part of the order is so important to get base runners on for Otani with the way he's hitting. Are you guys conscious of that? Is that like priority number one? Find a way to get on base for him? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know, the more runners on when show Hey gets up, the better, you know, just gives him a chance to do something great like you did yesterday.
Speaker 1: Can you describe the feeling in the dugout and just being on the team obviously when he hit that game tying three run home run. I'm sure you've been part of electric playoff atmospheres before, but can you just describe what it was like yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, you know, amazing. You know, we got down early and you know, I think think with a lot of teams, a lot of teams can tend to get deflated, but we know we got a great offense and then show hey, hitting that through on Homer to tie it up. Really, I think swung the momentum in our favor and then having that other beginning and the fourth was was huge, you know, and just we had some good at bats kind of throughout the game, and you know, just kept piling on.
Speaker 1: I feel like you just walked out of a press conference and maybe the first or second question must have been, why did you hit from the right side against a right handed reliever yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about the matchup, you know. I think that guy had had pretty even splits against left handed and right handed hitters, and his like pitch profile just matched up better with me hitting right handed, so it just made sense to hit right either.
Speaker 1: That's amazing because not a lot of players know who they are from just one side of the plate. How are you so aware of who you are from both sides of the plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of at bats you know, just kind of learn through experience, and you can kind of see which guys are tougher on you, which guys are which uh pitches play into your strengths a little bit better. So, you know, it's kind of just something that I've learned over the past few years.
Speaker 1: Tommy Edmund, He's been described as a baseball player, that's what he is. He's in there again tonight, starting in center field with another one of your former Cardinal teammates, Jack Flaherty, on the mound. What have you seen from Jack this year that really has helped him kind of turn the corner from a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it comes out with great intensity. He's always had that great intensity, and you know, and he's since he's been here, you know, I've I've watched him the past few starts and he just does a great job of you know, attacking hitters going after him. And you know, he's had a great year so far, and I'm excited to see what he can do tonight.
Speaker 1: It feels like he has ice in his veins. It doesn't seem like the game gets too fast on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, that's that's you know, something that makes him great. You know, he's got he's got a ton of confidence, and you know, the moment never gets too big for him, and I think he lives for these moments.
Speaker 1: Hey, moment never gets too big for Tommy Edmund. Thanks a lot for the time Tommy, and good luck today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I appreciate it.