Speaker 1: Or taxi.
Speaker 2: I'm around.
Speaker 3: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast.
Speaker 1: We are back, folks. This is Steve Moore, Economist. This is the More Money Show. And thank you for tuning in. I always say we have the smartest audience in the country, so we will be taking your calls later in the show. Don't call in yet, wait till maybe twenty twenty to thirty minutes from now will be will be taking your cause about what is your solution? Give me one or two solutions to bringing down this national debt. But I want to talk a little bit about politics and economics with two of the very best in the business. I always bring them back because they're so popular in terms of we've got great listener response when they are on. One of them is John Fun. You know John Fun from his many many years at the Wall Street Journal. He was also he's also been a senior writer at National Review. You see him on Fox News all the time and so on. And then we have Tom del Bacarro is also a good friend. Tom. You see him on Fox all the time. He is an author of many books, and Tom tell us about your most recent ones. But also he ran the Republican party. He was the chairman of the Republican Party in California, so he knows about how to deal with liberals. Gentlemen, thank you for joining. Maybe I'll start by asking you both, just take one or two minutes, what would your two best ideas be to help bring down the national debt? And Tom del Bacarro, I will start with you, my friend.
Speaker 2: Well, at the end of the day, we have a spending problem, yes, not a revenue problem, that's true, and the parties need to get serious about that because we hit forty trillion and the biggest problem in the budget today is interest on the debt. It's overtaken defense. It's overtaking so security and medicare eventually. So we have a spending problem and the parties need to get serious about that. And the Democrats are offering only more spending. So this election is what matters to the debt, because the Republicans need to say to the American people, you have but two choices here, humor and one point trillion more in spending and more inflation and making it harder to get a car and harder to buy a home. Or our program which will be to reduce the fraud that is helping to save social security or not. So A we promise to do less spending and B we're the ones who can grow the economy.
Speaker 1: Not to democrats, jaumpund, what are your favorite solutions to bringing down this enormous debt that's gone on now for forty to fifty years. It just keeps bigger and bigger, and people are concerned. Justify So if you were Donald Trump or a member of Congress, what would your solution be?
Speaker 3: Well, not to repeat Tom's excellent suggestions, I would say the recent shortage of munitions and weaponry and missiles that we have because of use in Ukraine and Iran tell us we really need to improve. Finally, our socialistic military procurement system. Donald Trump has made a good start on that, but we need to bring AI and we need to bring a form of private sector competition so that four or five defense contractors don't use cost plus contracts to gouge the taxpayer, and that would actually, over time, would save a lot of money and give us a better and more flexible military. Secondly, and might have to wait until after Donald Trumplic's office, we are going I think the next president, assuming it's a Republican, and maybe even if it's a Democrat. We need to expand the savings opportunities that people have to save for their retirement. It probably won't mean touching Social Security, but I think we can dramatically expand on the Trump accounts and the iras and the savings plans that people are allowed to have. Even Governor Gavin Wilson held a press conference this week in California praising the Trump thrift accounts for young people.
Speaker 1: So I like both those answers. I just would disagree. I think, look, we can do something about Social Security. It's time we put that young people.
Speaker 3: Del Trump is poisoned. Donald Trump's personality has poisoned that. We're going to have to wait for another president.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so it's only two years away. But my point is, Tom, we need to allow people to put young people like my kids, they should be able to take twelve percent of their paycheck and put that money into a private indexed fund where they'll get three times the benefit. And when they do that, you're reducing the long term debt because they the government won't owe them any money. What's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Well, from my perspective, to keep in mind that FDR actually wanted a program that look like that. Singapore has always had the program like that, and one of the reasons why Singapore's economy does so well is because all that money gets reinvested into the Singapore economy. So John's I agree with John that it's going to be a difficult transition in that regard. But at the end of the day, our government is causing its own problem of running out of resources. Now these kids face a definite problem in the future. So look, I'm in favor of that, But Republicans need to start controlling the narrative. They don't have a narrative yet for this fall. Fortunately the Democrats are rescuing them with their own civil war and socialism. But Republicans need to win this midterm and come up with the narrative as to why they're going to do it before very long, I mean within the next two and a half three weeks.
Speaker 1: So I agree with that. And by the way, I was on with Liz Peak earlier. You both know Liz, and we were talking about this issue and she made I thought a really interesting comment. I want both of your reaction to this. We have to stop calling these people these crazy people have been winning these democratic elections Democrats socialists and call them communists. Because you saw, John, I think you have submitted the item in our hotline the other day that the Democrat socialists basically celebrated celebrated the one hundred birthday of one of the greatest villains of the twentieth century, a communist who killed tens of thousands of his own people and threw an entire country into a massive poverty. And that's Fidel Castro. And they also celebrate, by the way, Shea Gavera, Shay Gavera, was one of the greatest butchers that ever lived, and they celebrate him. They're commune. They do not disassociate with those people. So you know this is I'm opening us up to both of you. We should call these people communists, John, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, Well I'm not. You know, it's a fine line between conducting arguments with them about their policies and pointing out their contradictions and using the famous word. That's simply I think calling someone a communist if they say they're not a communist, brings you back to you know, you're just being Joe McCarthy again. So yes, I think that we need to make the ASSISI I would say communist adjacent is a good phrase. That means it means you're basically in bed with the communists, even if you don't clean yourself one.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing, Yeah, here's the thing to argue that they're not that. Yeah. By the way, though a lot of the people of Macarthy accused of being communists were communists, but I wouldn't want to get into that. But but the point is that, Tom, if you look at the public opinion about socialists, Americans are pretty split on socialism. If you ask people like conoism, it's ninety to ten against it. That's why I think changing the terminology might be advantageous.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, you definitely. I think what we need to keep in mind is people always want to know what you're going to do for them with their next vote, and I agree that we should call it what it is that they are. Many of these people are actually saying they want to seize the means of production, which means they want to seize your money to pay for their programs in a very real sense. But Republicans don't aren't saying what they're going to do next, right, and therefore you can't beat you can't beat their giveaway with you r nothing. And so I have no problem of saying what you know Piker is suggesting, or saying what Mundamie's actually doing, or what Sayid wants to do. But if the Republicans don't get to the point where they're saying, we're going to address your needs doing these five things, then voters don't have anything to beat. The communist comment. Okay, they may be communists, but at least they're going to.
Speaker 1: Do something for me. Yeah. So one of the things that is, you both know, we have a big event coming up, Unleashed Prosperity, and Nick Shirley will be one of the people we're celebrating as the journalist of the year because he is the journalist of the year. He did something that none of the networks could do. That sixty minutes never did that, wash Your Post or Wall Street Journal or New York Times ever did, which is exposed the massive fraud in these government programs. It took a twenty year old kid with an iPhone to do it, or what none of the people in the media would do. And now John, Well, this is for both of you because you're both from California, and now they have a law in CALIFORNI I mean, I'm just so stunned by this. That basically is the Shut Up Nick Shirley Act, which basically makes what he did illegal. It's almost, as I said, you know earlier on the show, It's almost like if you see somebody robbing a bank and you tackle them, and then the police come and arrest you, not the bank robber. Sow. What do you make of this?
Speaker 3: Well, the liberals, progressives, the democratic socialists only support free speech when it was the old days and there were only three networks and there were only a couple of right national newspapers. Once you have a diversified citizen journalist network out there where Tom and I and others can communicate directly with people, they're suddenly against free speech and they want to shut people up. This bill is astonished and California already protects people from intimidation and threats. This bill goes beyond that and basically limits journalists what they can say, what they can post, because they want to protect fraudsters, including the fraud network that I made California Medicaid one of the great taxpayer sinkholes of our time.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's Tom. What are your thoughts about this?
Speaker 2: Well? I actually I am looking forward to this fight because it's a great opportunity for Republicans to demonstrate what America is about.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: This law is plainly unconstitutional. What it sits on Newsom's desk, and if he's dumb enough to go along with this or support it, then this is what the election of this is going to be about. For the presidents in twenty twenty eight? Are you going to have an economy controlled by the government that is failing you in San Francisco, in La in New York City. A year ago, I wrote a piece that Mandamie, Johnson and Bass would define the Democrat Party. I made an understatement in doing that. So this is defining twenty twenty eight for me, and I'm okay with.
Speaker 1: That me too. I mean, this is you know, these are the people who've talked about freedom of speech and freedom of the process, and of course this is a First Amendment issue. And John you know, I've looked at some of these videos. To call this intimidation, all he did was knock on the door and said, show us where your kids are in the daycare center, where you're getting, you know, twenty thousand dollars per kid, you know, per month, and there were no kids, and he exposed a massive fraud. And I don't know how that's intimidation.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're used to sucking at the tex spayer teat anything that upsets your livelihood is intimidation. Is well, this is a threat to your lifestyle, right, and people will fight like hell to deserve their lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it is this is either of you, because both of you are everywhere in the media that the media just has refused to cover this story. I mean of the fraud, of the rampant fraud. I mean remember back in the sixties and seventies, this was this was kind of the story that sixty minutes would do. And they'd never do this kind of thing anymore.
Speaker 3: Tom, I think will agree with me. Government has changed in the last forty or fifty years. It used to be we were worried about government bureaucrats. Now we're worried about the welfare industrial complex. There's hundreds and hundreds of NGOs in California and other states that technically or nonprofit, technically or private, but they basically take taxpayer money, spend it on themselves. Look at the salaries that some of the chief executives of these NGOs nonprofits have, and they're in a non holy alliance with the government officials. And the government officials then go to these nonprofits and say, oh, by the way, my wife, like Governor Newsom's wife, is running this nice nonprofit. Wouldn't it be nice if you could donate something for nonprofit and give employment to all of our friends. It is an insidious, insidious conspiracy to use government to create an entire parallel network of support for these progressives.
Speaker 1: Tom, we only got about a minute left. What are your thoughts about that?
Speaker 2: Years ago, I wrote a piece in the Washington Times that a nonpartisan press is a very rare instance in history. Up until the nineteen hundreds, the United States didn't have one, and for about forty years we did. But then the Vietnam War changed that again. And the left is invested in government. We knew that, We saw that with PBS and all of that sort of thing. So we live in an era where government is trying to protect itself from it's from us, the voter. But we also live in an era whereas John said, everybody's at the government teep and the left and the media are there. They want to stay there, and so they're partisan and we should just call that what it is.
Speaker 1: As well. I think you guys have done an excellent job. That's John Fund formerly Well Street Turtle and now with National Review, etc. And Tom del Bacaro, who is the former head of the Republican Party in California. A great conversation. And by the way, you've just pointed out why we have a forty trillion dollar death because everybody's on the take. Everybody's sucking on the tent and when that happens, folks, we will go bankrupt if this continues.