Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Thursday, August eighth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. I feel like a king today. I got crowned.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I told you I broke a tooth a few.
Speaker 1: Weeks ago, so I got my permanent crowns in yesterday. Very happy. If you don't have to do it, I highly recommend not doing it. So brush your teeth and floss. She just went, as well, you just did, and how did it come out. I haven't gone for four years. Yeah, my teeth are perfect.
Speaker 5: Really, no cavities, minimal bleeding. They say, you know, it's like they did a little pressure on your gums to see if you've been flossing.
Speaker 3: Have you been flossing? I do.
Speaker 5: I've lost like three times a week. You're supposed to do it every day, I know, but according to the way my regiment is, I have it's working teeth. Okay, So no crowns for me and happy that you are feeling better with your tooth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also feeling good because it's panned a day in California, they're unveiling the giant pandas who are visiting us for the next ten years from China. That's happening at the San Diego Zoo this morning. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. There have been about seventy after shocks since Tuesday night's five point two earthquake in Kern County. The US Geological surveyces most of the after shocks have been near the epicenter of the initial quake, about thirty miles outside Bakersfield.
Speaker 3: The head of.
Speaker 1: JP Morgan chases we may be headed into a recession. CEO Jamie Diamond says the odds of a soft landing for the economy are about thirty five to forty percent. He says he's a little skeptical inflation will get down to that two percent target the Fed wants to see before lowering interest rates. Taylor Swift's concerts in Austria have been canceled following the arrests of two men who are accused of planning a terror attack. One of the men arrested is an Austrian who officials say pledged allegiance to ISIS. Austria's Interior minister is saying that the attack on Taylor Swift Concerts was planned for today or tomorrow. We're going to find out more about that with ABC's crime and Terrorism analyst Brad Garrett.
Speaker 3: In less than five minutes.
Speaker 1: We're also going to be talking with Jim Ryan about how you may finally be able to figure out what your dog is thinking. Can't wait for this conversation that's coming up before the top of the hour. We'll be going out and about to a rooftop in downtown LA and we'll tell you why you're probably going to want to go there too at the bottom of the hour. And of course you're daily Olympic Update with Anez de la Kotera that's coming up at five twenty. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. The astronauts stuck on the International Space Station. You may have to settle in for quite a while longer. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Rancho pallas Vertes is urging Governor Newsom to declare a state of emergency over gas shutoffs.
Speaker 6: SOCAW Gas shot off service to about one hundred and thirty five homes along Portuguese Bend last week because the company says underground pipes are at risk from landslides. This woman lives in the area and says people have been scrambling to buy electric appliances.
Speaker 1: We cannot just sit back and say, okay, vendors, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Let everybody else have to go get for pain. Let everybody else get solar.
Speaker 6: Mayor John Crookshank wrote a letter to Newsom yesterday asking for financial support to help those affected. The city also voted to extend an existing local emergency in the Landside area. Chris Adler KFI.
Speaker 1: News USC is opening all campus gates following months of restricted access and shut down due to student protests. The university announced the news yesterday, saying security on campus remains a top priority as they make it accessible again. Gates reopen August fifteenth. Students and staff will have to show a valid University ID. Voters in the LA School District will be considering a nine billion dollar bomb me measure this November.
Speaker 7: Than one hundred schools or over a century old, sixty percent of the district's facilities are older than fifty years. Superintendent Alberto Corvallo says his ask to voters is to help the schools make a nine billion dollar investment in infrastructure improvements.
Speaker 3: This is not a measure that will benefit some at the expense of others. This is a measure that will benefit everyone in our community.
Speaker 7: It would cost property owners around two and a half cents per one hundred dollars of valuation. The plan would retrofit old schools, add new HVAC systems in green space, and electrify the bus fleet, among other improvements in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Disney celebrating big anniversaries this weekend at its annual d twenty three. Pixar's first feature film, Toy Story, is celebrating its thirtieth anniversary. Miss Piggy is hosting a retrospective as the Muppets turned seventy, and Marvel is celebrating fifty years of Wolverine, which conveniently comes as Deadpool and Wolverine break box office records for a rat at R movie. The three day expo at Disneyland, the Anaheim Convention Center and Honda Center highlights all things Disney and its entities like Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar. D twenty three events kick off today. The convention starts tomorrow, and we're affected by that because our very own Nick Poliochini has ditched work to go hang out at D twenty three. Time to say good morning to our terror and crime analyst, it's ABC's Brad Garrett.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Brad, Good morning, namy okay, So is nothing sacred Taylors.
Speaker 1: We have had to cancel her concerts in Vienna after two people were arrested for plotting a terror attack. And we're just hearing that from the Interior Minister that they're saying the attacks were going to be carried out today or tomorrow.
Speaker 8: So you've got a nineteen year old, a seventeen year old, and they also mentioned a fifteen year old now then and seventeen year old. I think you're in custody. The fifteen year old they've interviewed, but it's not in custody according to A what they found and B what the nineteen year.
Speaker 4: Old has told police.
Speaker 8: According to the police is that yes, there were explosives.
Speaker 4: In the house and he said the plan was the following that they were going.
Speaker 8: To set off explosives outside the venue. So in other words, as concert goers, and we're talking three concerts, sixty five thousand plus per concert, that's like two hundred thousand people. Now, obviously you could only pull this off once, but that's a lot of people. Amy, So if you set up explosives and then they said they were going to stab as many people as they could on top of that, the scary thing about this scenario is they might be able to have pulled this off just for the obvious that they're not inside the venue or trying to get inside the venue. Ice is inspired according to the nineteen year old. I think the police believe that that is the case based on what they've released, and you know, another plot foiled. But you know, the big concern is how many other versions of this are lurking out there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so do we know it's probably it's probably too early, But do we know how they found these guys?
Speaker 8: You know, in an earlier release by the police, they made some comment that they were aware of the nineteen year old. So that translates from me amy into either somebody tipped them off about hey, you need to take a look at this kid, or they picked them up online because typically isis will recruit kids like this online and so maybe they got on to that at some point.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so we've got three people that we know of, and they're not saying whether anymore were possibly involved, but they did cancel three shows.
Speaker 8: They're apparently still looking into other accomplices that they haven't defined that. But my sense would be the combination of a what they were about to do or attempt to do, and the idea that they don't have maybe everybody corralled that is involved in this. I think the concert venue, out of an abundance of caution, canceled.
Speaker 4: The three shows, which my guess was the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the concert organizers, it's just flashing on the ap that the organizers saying it stands behind canceling the shows, because you know, just to make sure that people are saying and you mentioned the other thing that I think was really interesting is that they weren't going to try to get in to the stadium. And one thing about Taylor Swift shows is that people hang out outside the stadium, and they were expecting like ten or fifteen thousand people outside the stadium each night just to be there even though they couldn't get in, right.
Speaker 8: So that's what I'm saying, that the numbers are potentially people being harmed. I mean, even if you couldn't get into the stabbing part of it much just setting off, if you set off multiple explosives with the number of compressed people outside these venues, I mean, it's a pretty horrifying thought.
Speaker 1: Yes, So, Brett, is therea I mean, you look into these kinds of things. Is there anything that we can do to make targets less vulnerable? And are we expecting to see more of these kinds of things?
Speaker 8: Well, think about it this way, Amy, is that if the target And I'm not convinced that Taylor Swift was the target at all, But Taylor Swift is a well known person, just like former President Trump is.
Speaker 4: A well known person or fill in.
Speaker 8: The blank, well known politician, actor, whatever it might be that they what they because they have such high name recognition. There are attractive targets because if you think the following, if you're trying to make a statement, it's through you know, that's alluded thinking of isis? Or you're somebody maybe like the shooter in Butler Pennsylvania that we don't really.
Speaker 4: Know much about. Is that driven by.
Speaker 8: Fame in name recognition in other words, I want attention. I'm going to guess that shooter in particular was driven by that, and maybe even these kids in Austria.
Speaker 4: I mean, let's let's face it, you're going to be really.
Speaker 8: Famous now, not in a good way, but that's what fame drive a lot of these mass shootings or mass attacks. And I'm sure I think in some former fashion is going to play into both this and the Butler Pennsylvania shooting.
Speaker 1: Well, what I think is interesting is that you mentioned that the fame of being that person, you know, being the next John Hinckley junior or something. But with ICES recruiting them, do they push that and say, hey, this would be good for you, because ICES has a whole different agenda, you know. I mean, and I don't see how that furthers isis.
Speaker 8: Cause well it's certainly it certainly furthers their cause because you're doing it in their name. Now, they're not going they may be going there in their own nineteen year old's head for fame, but ICES is going to convince them that this is the only way we can cleanse the earth of all these infidels and that in the important part of this scenario amy is that it makes them feel important. I mean, let's face it, if you're an ISIS recruiter, you're not going to target you know, somebody that's about to go to Harvard and you know and is on a bunch does a bunch of positive things every day because they're going to go, you're crazy. They're going to target lonely, isolated and angry kids and that's who they look for, and unfortunately we now have a lot of them because of the Internet.
Speaker 3: Okay, anything we can do.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you just like, is it gonna see something say something or are we just kind of going to have to deal with.
Speaker 3: This kind of thing.
Speaker 8: It's well, we're albably going to have to deal with it because the threat level is like astronomical. Most of the stuff you and I don't hear about, but it's out there. I mean, law enforcement comes across this stuff every day. Most of it they wash out that the folks are just you know, saying inappropriate things.
Speaker 4: But you have to figure that out.
Speaker 8: And you know how the Austrians got onto this kid, this nineteen year old they said they were already aware of him. You know, did they intercept his some of his chats with the ISIS. Maybe maybe somebody tipped them off. But I mean, you know, law enforcement can't keep up with all the stuff that's online. I mean you're talking like millions of people that are saying inappropriate things online. A vast, vast majority of them are just saying things.
Speaker 4: They're just talkers.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but if those few that that's say, you know, we're going to run with the ball and commit this act.
Speaker 4: You know, that's the ones you want to stop. But you know, can we stop all of them? Well, well, obviously sometimes we don't.
Speaker 3: Well we got them this time, though, and so that's good.
Speaker 4: We did. Absolutely, it's a great catch.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Brad Garrett, thank you so much for the information. It's ABC News Crime and Terrorism Analyst. You can follow Brad at Brad Investigates.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. We'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, see Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, on a happier note to start your day, since you know that's just kind of h depressing. Sorry about that. Pandas are making their first appearance at the San Diego Zoo in about three hours. That's great news.
Speaker 3: And this is.
Speaker 1: Great news too. Tomorrow night, the Dodgers take on the Pirates. First pitch is going out at seven to ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth. You can stream all games in HD on the iHeartRadio app too, the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. Police have shot a man who is waving a gun around on a metro station platform in Long Beach, and then another man who's been arrested and is facing attempted murder charges after he allegedly attacked a woman yesterday at a metro station in Pasadena. Police say the man paunched the woman several times, pushed her onto the train tracks, and dragged her out onto the two ten Freeway. She's in the hospital recovering. Tropical Storm Debbie has made a second landfall in the US overnight and is pounding North Carolina with heavy rain. North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper is warning residents to prepare for flood conditions and possible tornadoes. The National Weather Service has confirmed the storm has spawned at least ten tornadoes so far. Governor Newsom has declared today California pan Today in honor of the two giant pandas on loan from China. They're making their first public appearance at the San Diego Zoo this morning. Yun Chwan, I'm saying it Ron and Jinboo, I'm going to get the pronunciations before the end of the hour. Are the first panda bears to come to the US in more than twenty years. They're be making their debut at eight thirty and the San Diego Zoo is live streaming the event. At six oh five, It's handle on the news. Arrowhead has been ordered to stop getting its water from the San Bernardino Mountains. Let's say now good morning to ABC's Innez de la Katera in Paris with the toughest job in broadcast media.
Speaker 3: Right now, boujeour.
Speaker 9: Love my intro music.
Speaker 3: So Inez.
Speaker 1: The women's basketball team, much like the men's team, is getting closer to.
Speaker 3: Going for goals.
Speaker 9: That's right, yeah, So, I mean as the Olympics are beginning to wind down, we are also getting into the most interesting phase four team sports. So the women's basketball team easily defeating Nigeria yesterday in the quarterfinals, and they are now going to the semi finals. They'll be up against Australia. And on the men's side a team USA winning against Brazil a couple of days ago, and they will now be playing Serbia. That's happening tonight. They are favored to win against Serbiabia does have Nikola but but Serbia does have Nikola Jokic, who is an incredible player, three time MVP. So I still think it will be an interesting game.
Speaker 1: I hope it will be because as we were discussing, they've been such blowouts. Did they won by like forty points the other night or something crazy? Might not have been that much.
Speaker 9: Don't fare so fair to the other team?
Speaker 1: I know, right, So the fastest man in the world has another race.
Speaker 3: How did he do that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Yet?
Speaker 9: No, Lyles, that's the fastest man in the world. After he won the one hundred meter race, he won the gold in that. He is now going to be competing today in the two hundred meter final, so that we're hoping he gets his second Olympic gold medal today. It will't He finished second in the two hundred meter semi finals yesterday, but the same thing happened with the one hundred meter race where he finished second in the semi final but then ended up winning the gold. So we're hoping for a repeat of that, and yeah, see.
Speaker 3: The gas for the finals.
Speaker 9: Right exactly, that's what we're hoping in. So many of these races have been so exciting with these last minute, you know surges, especially from tm USA. I feel like we've seen that a lot in recent days with TMSA runners just sprinting at the very last minute and taking medals. So yeah, we'll see you should be a good one, you know what.
Speaker 3: I think it's been interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've noticed this, and if you guys have noticed this, but when you watch the sprint, and man, it's over in like two seconds, But when you watch them sprinting, if they're ahead and it's a preliminary, it almost looks like they slow down a little bit right toward the end, like they're like, oh, hey, I got it, and you're like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Don't let off the gas?
Speaker 1: And then you go, Okay, they're running fifty times faster than I ever could anyway. But I just think it's interesting to watch the dynamic of it.
Speaker 9: But yeah, and all the strategy that goes into it too. I thought, you know, watching the Cole Hawker race the other day where he was a total long shot, the strategy that goes into it about you know, finding an opening on the inside on the outside of the track, I thought was really interesting as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought I missed this, but apparently breakdancing is still coming up.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so that is starting at tomorrow. We're calling it breaking. It's basically breakdancing, but they're calling it breaking for the Olympics. It starts tomorrow. It's going to be a two day competition breaking athletes. They're known as bee boys and bee girls, and there will be bee boys and be girls from more than a dozen countries, so places like China, France, the US of course. On Temusay, you've got Victor Montalvo, nicknamed bee boy Victor, who's been called the Michael Jordan of breaking, and he is expected to meddle.
Speaker 1: How do they judge that, I just like the difficulty of the moves or how cool they look, or do we have any idea?
Speaker 3: I guess we'll find out when we watch it.
Speaker 9: But I have no idea. I know I've been wondering about myself. I will be going tomorrow. It's happening tomorrow morning, so I'm gonna try and go and I will report back.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, you're on assignment for KFI. I love that. What else is that chapter? Today?
Speaker 1: So today?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the men's basketball is going to be the big one. We've got some more track and field, so we've got the women's fifteen hundred semifinals, We've got the men's one hundred meter hurdles, women's four hundred meters hurdles, we've got the women's water polo semifinals, will be up against Australia. So yeah, but I think the big, the big focus will be track and field once again. And I will say we also did just learn who are flag bearers were going to be for the closing ceremony. They are Katie Lidecki and Nick Mead.
Speaker 3: Who's Nick Mead? Nick Mead? Nick me who's that?
Speaker 9: Nick Mead? Who is a rower?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay rower?
Speaker 9: He won the gold medal in the in the men's four awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, Katie definitely makes sense. But I'm Nick great. Maybe we'll find out who he is on closing ceremony night and and metal count before we go.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so we're still leading, very exciting. We are still leading in the gold medal tally. We now have twenty seven gold medals, still ahead of China with twenty five, and for its a total number of medals, we are at ninety four. I think you might actually be at ninety five next if we just want to broad.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we're doing great.
Speaker 9: We're still very much leading in that as well.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we'll send you out on your assignment and then we'll look forward to hearing from you tomorrow morning, same time, same place. Thank you so much, Inez.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, well, now let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The fire burning in northern California has grown to more than four hundred and twenty two thousand acres. It's proven to be pretty hard gets surrounded calfires. Public information officer Jahira Zaragosa says.
Speaker 3: The active sections of.
Speaker 1: The fire are burning in steep, rugged terrain in Tahoma County.
Speaker 9: With the fire running uphill, we have all that smoke and hot gas.
Speaker 1: Is preheating the vegetation up above.
Speaker 4: So it's making it a lot easier for it to run uphill, so there is quite intense fire behavior happening right now.
Speaker 1: Zaragoza says they're hoping a cooling trend will help firefighters gain some ground on the fire in the next few days.
Speaker 4: Overnight, we will have community recovery, so that will continue to work on our favors.
Speaker 1: The fire is the fourth largest in California history. It's thirty four percent surrounded and has destroyed at least six hundred thirty homes and buildings. Nearly three thousand homes are still threatened. TV and film actor Gabriel Olds has been arrested in La for a large sexual assault. Police and prosecutors announced yesterday. The fifty two year old actor was charged last month with seven felony counts. A forty one year old woman told police last year that the actor had raped her at her home in La Believes say two other people came forward later and made similar reports that date back to twenty thirteen. A HP data study for La County shows crashes involving young pedestrians are up almost thirty percent from July to August.
Speaker 10: Make sure kids are aware of their surroundings when going back to school.
Speaker 2: Ryan Law Group founder Andrew Ryan says his team analyzed the last decade of CHP data for five to seventeen year old pedestrian crashes to determine why he's getting more of such personal injury calls each August.
Speaker 10: And also drivers too should be aware, you know, when they're in schools, don't slow out. I mean, it's the simplest thing in the world, and it's obey all traffic signs, and that should help save people's lives.
Speaker 2: Ryan says. Young pedestrians were also found to be at fault around thirty percent of the time, typically for not properly using crosswalks. Corbin Carson KFI.
Speaker 1: News LA Mayor Bass has issued an executive order to streamline the permitting process for Hollywood productions. Mayer's office says it's a way to boost TV and film production in the city. This summer, on location productions in Los Angeles are down nearly twelve and a half percent compared to a year ago. Taylor Swift's concerts in Austria have been canceled following the arrests of two men who are accused of planning a terror attack. One of the men arrested is an Austrian who officials have pledged allegiance to ISIS.
Speaker 3: Swift was supposed to.
Speaker 1: Perform tonight, Tomorrow and Saturday, with each concert expected to draw sixty five thousand fans inside with another ten to fifteen thousand outside. Austria's Interior minister says the foiled attack was planned for tonight or tomorrow. The Rancho Palace Verti City Council has declared a local state of emergency and is urging Governor Newsom to do the same. Because of the gas shut off to about one hundred and thirty five homes in Portuguese Bend, so col Gas shut off the gas a week ago Monday. Because of the ground shifting in the area, so Cal Edison says electricity may have to be shut off too. Having a baby in California costs more than most states in the US. A recent study from wallet hub says the hospital cost of conventional and C section deliveries are higher in California than in thirty other states. California ranked twenty seventh for family friendliness and twenty third for baby friendliness. How do you rank twenty third for baby friendliness?
Speaker 3: That's sad? At six oh five.
Speaker 1: It is handled on the news. Today is the one year anniversary of the fire on Maui that almost destroyed lahina I.
Speaker 3: Point fifty.
Speaker 1: What if you could talk to the animals, or at least maybe know what they're thinking. Well, ABC's Jim Ryan says Ai may be able to help us do just that. All right, how does this sound. It's a beautiful summer night. You're on a rooftop in downtown Los Angeles, sitting in an Adirondack chair with a lovely beverage, and you're about to watch a movie under the stars. We went out and about this week and caught up with the West Coast regional director of the Rooftop Cinema Club. It's Bradford Fullerton. Bradford tell us what is the Rooftop Cinema Club.
Speaker 11: Rooftop Cinema Club is a new approach to open air cinema. We are taking some of your favorite films and some new films that you've yet to discover and putting them in a beautiful location. Traditional movie houses are wonderful, but they're meant to be a sensory deprivation tank. We make the venue part of the experience. Our brand is social cinema, which means we want people to enjoy movies that they've had funds with their friends once before, maybe they come back and re experience it or share it with a family member who's visiting in town. To do that, we have these fancy headphones right here, okay, which allows me to hey, did you see that part? This is great without bothering the neighbors. And you can chitchat with your friends as need be without getting from the people next to you.
Speaker 3: Okay. So there's no big speakers here.
Speaker 1: You get the sound from the movie on the headphone. So it's like a silent disco, but it's a silent cinema.
Speaker 10: It is that.
Speaker 11: And we also do silent discos once a month.
Speaker 3: Oh okay. And you can get all the information about the Rooftop Cinema Club.
Speaker 11: Where rooftops inclub dot com. We're on all the major social media channels, has all of our programming coming up, both weekly, ongoing and special one offs that we do.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the doors open about an hour before. And one of the cool things about this is you have games set out because you said it's a social right, so that's what she said. Twisted party game I saw Cards against Humanity all right behind you. Oh yeah, you can play that with people you don't know, well exactly.
Speaker 3: It's a nasty fun game.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's go over and take a look at your seats, because you know, it's different than a movie theater too, because in a movie theater you have little chairs, and here at the rooftop Cinema Club, we've got these great adirondecks.
Speaker 3: We have individual seats and we're gonna cozy up.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: There's also love seats, seats for two.
Speaker 3: And you can hang out here.
Speaker 1: And you have a beautiful big screen on the side of the building.
Speaker 3: We have a breeze blowing.
Speaker 1: People are coming in and as soon as it gets dark, the movie starts.
Speaker 11: The magic starts.
Speaker 3: All right, So what kind of movies are there? Do you play here at ropops?
Speaker 11: We do a variety right now, we're doing familiar recent classics like such as everything from Mean Girls, La La Land, Oh my God, La.
Speaker 1: La Land in Downtown La on the rooftop that would be so cool.
Speaker 11: Could not pick a perfect date? Every time I raise hands like who's on a date?
Speaker 12: Here?
Speaker 3: Like oh, you did well, you did well.
Speaker 11: This is going to go well for you yea lallaland White Chicks sells out pretty much every time we play it, and with good reason.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 11: So we do a little something for everything. We want to bring in dates, but we also want to bring in groups of friends and again families visiting in town looking for a fun thing to do with their college kids.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: And then along with the lovely seats and the sound.
Speaker 3: Experience, there's beverages and some food. What kind of food and beverages do we have?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we have a variety of refined ballpark snacks. We call it hot dogs, nachos, things like that. And our bar partner here, Hilo, serves a variety of delicious adult beverages as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, And when do you do the shows? It is it just for the summer?
Speaker 11: You do it now? We are year round actually now during the summer obviously, as soon as the sun goes down we are starting to play movies. But we've extended our season now where in the winter months we bring in these awesome heaters and we do a thing called fireside Cinema.
Speaker 4: So fun.
Speaker 11: You get this beautiful, warm heater and you get to cozy up under a blanket and watch a romantic movie like The Notebook while you're here with your special someone or just friends.
Speaker 1: Oh I am never watching The Notebook again. I would That's an ugly crime movie.
Speaker 4: I I understand.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I feel bad talking to the folks afterwards.
Speaker 3: I just get out the tissues. I'm like, It's okay, okay.
Speaker 1: And even on a summer night does get a little chilly, and you're.
Speaker 3: Prepared for that too.
Speaker 11: We do warn people please bring blankets, but if you forget, we do have very comfortable collectible keepsakes blankets just for fourteen dollars behind the box office.
Speaker 3: I love that. And again, where do we find information about this experience?
Speaker 11: Again, best chance, best sumption is gonna be Rooftop Cinema Club dot com. But again we're on ig all the regular social medias, but check it out. We have a full list of calendars and all of our special events coming up as well.
Speaker 3: And you have some themed events for the summer.
Speaker 11: Yes, indeed, yes, we have everything from our weekly social hour, which is we open an hour early to have drink specials, and we also again have our silent discos, We do holiday parties and we go all out in Halloween.
Speaker 3: So be on the lookout. We've got some fun stuff coming up.
Speaker 1: Oh Halloween, Nick the camera guy is a big Halloween.
Speaker 11: Oh I know where you're going to be.
Speaker 3: Comeucked over thirty first. Absolutely, Bradford Bullertin, thank you so much. What a treat.
Speaker 1: This was such a great thing to do. It's one of my favorite out and abouts. I mean, it's just I would love for you to go and check out my Instagram. I'm going to be posting the interviews so you can see what it looks.
Speaker 3: Like up there. But it was just like so great.
Speaker 1: And then after we talked to Bradford, then we put on our headphones and we sat in our Adirondack chairs and we get to watch Legally Blonde, So that was fun. And they have some newer run movies and then of course some classic movies and stuff. But fun for friends, fun for date night at the Rooftops Cinema Club in downtown LA. And again you can check it out on my Instagram. I'm going to post it and as soon as the show's over at amy Kking And of course I would love for you to follow me on Instagram. Again, it's at amy K King. Also at KFI AM six forty. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom says more Californians are making the switch to electric vehicles, exciting news.
Speaker 10: In California, we continue to outface the rest of the nation.
Speaker 4: We have no peers.
Speaker 1: We're doing that with clean cars, Plugin highbreds, electric vehicles as well as hydrogen vehicles. The stage just saw one of its best quarters for zero emission vehicle sales, with more than one hundred eighteen thousand sold. The governor says that's one in four car sales in the state. Newsom says his goal is to have all new cars sold in California be electric vehicles or evs by twenty thirty five. The California Attorney General's office has declined to file criminal charges against former La County Supervisor Sheila Cule for alleged political corruption. The AG's office yesterday cited a lack of evidence. Prosecutors also declined to file charges against Patty Giggins, who's the director of the nonprofit Peace Over Violence. Keule was accused of helping her or helping to steer a series of no bid Metro contracts to the nonprofit while she served on Metro's board of directors. The investigation started two years ago. The family of an eighteen year old fatally shot by an undercover LAPED officer in South La says he did nothing wrong.
Speaker 13: The family has filed a claim against the department. Ricky Ramirez mother says her son was visiting the area from northern California to see the beaches when he was shot.
Speaker 3: He didn't know where he was, He was just having a good time.
Speaker 13: She says her son was killed when he got out of a car to ask why he and his friends were being followed. Ramirez family alleges the undercover officer and an unmarked car made no indication he was in fact an officer. The LAPED said last month officer saw people in the car and sche masks, possibly in a dispute with another driver in on La Blake Trolly kf I News.
Speaker 1: The two NASA astronauts sent to the International Space Station aboard Boeing's star Liner may have to stay up there until next year. NASA says it is still possible that Butch Wilmore and Sonny Williams can return aboard the Starliner next month, but the chances are growing that the two test pilots are going to have to catch a ride with SpaceX. That wouldn't happen until February of twenty twenty five. Engineers have been trying to find a fix for leaks and thruster problems with the star Liner, and I think we mentioned this yesterday. You know, we've been talking to NASA astronaut Colonel Nick Haig. He's going up, or was supposed to go up on a mission later this month to the International Space Station for the next six months.
Speaker 3: We don't know what's going on with that now.
Speaker 1: Is that going to be delayed or are they still going to have astronauts coming and going. Not quite sure, but we were supposed to talk to Colonel Haig this morning. He had to reschedule, so hopefully we'll get him back on to tell us what's going on very very soon. Police have shot a man who was waving a gun around on a Metro station platform in Long Beach. Another man has been arrested and is facing attempted murder charges after he allegedly attacked a woman yesterday at a Metro station in Pasadena. Fully say the man punched the woman several times, pushed her onto the tracks, and dragged her out onto the two ten freeway. Republican Vice presidential candidate JD. Vance has accused his Democratic VP opponent Tim Walls of abandoning his unit in the National Guard just before it was deployed to Iraq. Vance also accused Walls of falsely claiming that he carried an AR fifteen in war when he actually didn't see any combat. Walls served in the National Guard for twenty four years. Vance is a former Marine and served as a combat correspondent during the Iraq War. A European Climate agency says Earth's thirteen month streak of record global heat has come to an end. Temperatures in July were not higher than the previous record high months. The agency's temperatures are cooling down just.
Speaker 3: A little bit. As El Nino ebbs.
Speaker 1: Just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, Costco is cracking down on non members trying to get those Costco membership benefits. You can bet Bill Handle's gonna have a little bit to say about that. But right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan and Jim the big question is it was actually kind of posed and acted out by up.
Speaker 3: It's like, do you know what your dog is thinking?
Speaker 14: That is burn?
Speaker 13: You've never seen one up close, but this is burn.
Speaker 4: May I take your burd back to camp as my prisoner.
Speaker 1: I love Doug, so jim a, I may help us understand what our dogs are thinking.
Speaker 14: Yes, it's nothing at all like that movie, but yeah, but the movie's fun. Maybe, if not what the dogs thinking are saying at least how it's feeling. Oh okay, you've heard of way too back to maybe. It's a speech representation model and algorithm, right, and they've had this around for some time, and it can tell us things about people. You feed someone's voice into it. It can tell the gender, the race, the nationality, can tell all sorts of things. Of course, other voice recognition tools can be used to translate into other languages, etc. Right, I mean I had the phone app here I was in Japan a couple of years ago, was able to talk to the driver, tell jokes and he was able to talk back and had this sole conversation with the phone because of the voice recognition this algorithm. Somebody got the bright idea, Amy, They said, what if we put maybe just goofing around. It could have been after a couple of beers or something. Somebody said, let's put dog barks in here and see what happens, and it turned into a big research project. So the University of Michigan, working with a Mexican research institute, put dog barks into Way Too Vactu to see what we could learn about the dogs, and the algorithm came back about seventy percent accurate as to the dog's gender, the dog's breed, and the mood of the dog. How do we know that because the seventy four dogs that were tested were in different situations. So somebody bangs on a door and the dog's barking is recording, you know how dogs react to that. Or somebody comes and pretends to attack the owner. The dog responds to that aggressively. Where somebody walks in and starts scratching it behind the ears and telling a good boy, or playing with a ball, and happy, happy barking comes out of the dog. Well the Way Too Vectu. The algorithm was able to discern those various states of the dog's mind, the happiness or the sadness, the anger, the aggression, and parse it out that way in about seventy percent of the time.
Speaker 3: Okay, so here's my question, yeap, So what.
Speaker 14: What's it good for?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Well, first of all, it tells us about the capabilities of algorithms like this the AI speech recognition, and where it could go in the future. But it also, let's say, your puppy is, you know, moping around kind of whining and whimpering and barking and not feeling so good. You take the vet. Maybe fifteen years from now, your vet will have a microphone at a laptop there in the exam room. Dog barks or whimpers and he looks at the screen, he or she and it says, oh, Papa, you gotta tell me ache.
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 1: So that I mean, so that would be, that would be, that would be helpful because like I know that with my cat, I've had her in the vet a few times. She's having something like some allergy issues and we don't know what's causing it. We don't know is she having like anxiety so she's just like chewing and looking her fur or is she like does she have pain or is it itching or what's going on with her?
Speaker 3: And she can't tell us obviously.
Speaker 14: No no, certainly, not specifically, but you can tell something's wrong right in terms of the mewing and whatnot. And so this technology may tell us sometime in the future about the cat's state of mind. Won't tell specifically I've got, you know, something stuck in my throat or a thorn in my paw, but might at least tell us something's wrong and instead of misinterpreting that is just happy mouthing or purring.
Speaker 1: Okay, rescue cat, Well, I rescue because Jennifer Jonesley, who used to host the show, she left and she couldn't take the cat, and so it's she rehomed to me, which I love.
Speaker 3: Shelby's wonderful. Okay. Have they tried it on cats?
Speaker 14: Don't think so? Okay, and you expect that's next.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Have you heard if maybe they're working with like higher intelligence animals like dolphins, gorillas.
Speaker 3: That kind of thing.
Speaker 14: Yep, Yeah, that may be the way that they go with this. They'll try to figure out those creatures. Those sea mammals seem to have pretty high intelligence, and their communication may be more than just I'm not feeling well or somebody's at the door. They may be communicating with each other and we could be able to discern that somehow, someday maybe.
Speaker 3: We're on the verge of the planet of the apes too. Don't say that, you never know, Jim, You never know.
Speaker 14: Get your paws off me, you damn dirty ape squirrel.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll talk to you soon, Jim. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Austria's Interior minister says a tragedy has been prevented with the arrests of two young men allegedly plotting a terror attack at a Taylor's Swift concert in Vienna. Three sold out shows this week were canceled yesterday because of the threat. ABC's Maggie Ruley says European investigators got a tip from American intelligence who detected suspicious activity last month.
Speaker 15: Our team posted a statement saying, with confirmation from government officials of a planned terrorist attack, we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone's safety now. This decision came down just hours after officials say they arrested two suspects.
Speaker 1: Austrian security officials say the nineteen and seventeen year olds arrested plan to use knives and homemade explosives to attack people out side the concert venue. One official says a seventeen year old started working at the stadium a few days ago. Americans are racking a debt at a record pace. Wallet hub says total household debt has now reached over seventeen trillion dollars. The debt is mostly being driven by soaring costs for food, housing, and auto loans. Wallet Hub says Boston, North Las Vegas, and Madison, Wisconsin are the cities where Americans are adding the most debt. The Tournament of Roses in Pasadena has expanded its pool for Rose Court applicants.
Speaker 6: Traditionally, people could only apply if they lived in the Pasadena Area Community College District, but new areas include El Serino, Highland Park and Eagle Rock. CEO David ead says the candidates will be ambassadors to the city and earn a seventy five hundred dollars scholarship.
Speaker 12: They do get to ride town or participate in the Rose Parade on New Year's Day, and they also get to participate in the coin toss and the football delivery at the Rose Bowl Game.
Speaker 6: He says applicants must identify as a woman, be seventeen years old by December thirty first, and no more than twenty one years old by January fifth. The seven members will be chosen in October. Chris Adler, KFI News.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call.
Speaker 1: If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.