Speaker 1: Welcome to the Funny Kind with Erica Gummeny, bringing heart, humor and hope to everyday life. Laughter and love really do make a difference, and Erica's here to prove it. Part deep Dive, part stand Up for the Soul, this show blends humor, heart and real talk to help you stop believing the lies that hold you back. Whether she's flying solo or chatting with guests, Erica brings her signature mix of authenticity, wit and wisdom, reminding you that growth doesn't have to be so serious. So pull up a chair, exhale, and get ready to laugh, reflect, and reconnect with the extraordinary human you already are. Because this is the Funny Kind where humor meets healing and inspiration meets action.
Speaker 2: Next episode, you are in for a treat. I can I cannot promise that we will stay on task, but I can promise you that you will be inspired, and you will laugh and you might cry. But let me just say this is our first international guest here on the phone. O so Bron Watson from the land of Australia. Welcome to the Funny Kind.
Speaker 3: Oh look, thank you for having me, my darling friend. It's just fabulous to be here.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. I just want you to tell me a story, a long story, and I just sit there and just listen to talk to me. That's all I want.
Speaker 3: Once upon a time in a far away land.
Speaker 2: Love it, Love it.
Speaker 3: I used to read to my children every day. But anyway, let's stick to the program.
Speaker 2: We're already doing it, okay, So let me introduce Bron. We are going to have a really good conversation today. But let me just tell you a little bit about this wonderful woman that you have looking at you in this moment. Hopefully or you'll be listening to her voice either way. So I'm going to read this amazing bio because I don't want to miss a bit. Bron Watson is a nurse, educator, entrepreneur and founder of the Social Coach and the Serenity Project, which we're going to talk a lot about today, with decades of experience as a registered nurse and educator. And she's so young, so I don't know how she's had decades of experience. Maybe rules are different in Australia. Bron has been drawn to spaces where care, communication and connection matter, so obviously we were drawn to each other in that way. In twenty twelve, Bron Brown Brown Bru founded her first business, empowering business owners to share their voice online with authenticity and purpose. Over the past decade, her work has supported thousands of people to show up in life, in life and business with intention and impact. So that is who Braun is when she shows up. So of course it would be in her nature to help other people do what she has done, So it's awesome. Bron's journey took a profound shift in twenty seventeen when she was diagnosed with breast cancer and then five years later she received a second diagnosis and incurable blood cancer. So these experiences deepened her belief that healing isn't just physical, it's emotional, spiritual, and deeply personal. And this is my favorite part is rather than being defined by her diagnosis, Broun created this Serenity Project to offer others what she wished she had, which is the space where science meets soul with evidence and perspective and what she calls the third space, a place to reconnect with yourself, to navigate uncertainty with compassion and find serenity in the midst of it all. So thanks for letting me read through that because it was so well written and it is so beautiful, and I love that you are here with us today where we're going to kind of talk a little bit about what we're what I'm doing and what you're doing, and like the perfect synergy may that word, but synergy of what we're doing. So in Journey from the Ashes, oh look, I just happen to have a copywriter.
Speaker 3: I have a copy too, might I add? I do? I love it? Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And so this every month has a theme, and this month's theme is repurposed. So Journey from the Ashes is learning to let go of the lies that are holding you back, stories you're telling yourself, and repurposed for me was like, no matter what, pardon my language, shit has happened to you. It is happening to you. It doesn't define you. And not to say that you want to put lipstick on a pig or try to have this pressure of making purpose out of it, but there can be a repurpose in your life. So I thought, what a perfect month to have this wonderful woman with us here today.
Speaker 3: So thank you, thank you, thank you. And now that I realize that's the theme, of course right, because makes complete sense.
Speaker 2: I know it's so cool. So tell us a little bit more like when you think about that, you know, the journey that I mentioned just in a little bit in your bio and kind of where you're at with this serenity project and the repurposing that's kind of happening in your life. Tell us, tell us what you what you think about all that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know when you when you hear a bio read out and you're thinking, oh, I wonder who that is, Like what did I do all those things? And it's it's like this long bio. I'm thinking, oh my god, there's so much to say and and I think that's so much out there is And I think that the biggest thing to pook some context for your audience is around the fact that you know, I grew up as the good girl. I'm the one who did nursing. I'm the one who helped everybody. I was always the one first up at anybody's house to how can I help you? In the kitchen? Can I help?
Speaker 2: Can I help?
Speaker 3: And you know, I would see other people just sitting back and relaxing, and I think what they want to help? So I was the one jumping around helping everybody, anyone who needed up.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was the girl at school that people would come to talk and ask and go through their problems. And I think that maybe that's part of being a listener. Maybe I don't know anyway, So moving through all of the then, of course having five sons, five boys.
Speaker 2: Again, and you are I mean that could be.
Speaker 3: I'm still upright and I'm not an alcoholic, so it's you know, go me. But you know it used to take me fifteen minutes just to get in the car. You try getting five kids in the car. Shoes, bags, hats, Why have you got two different shoes on?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Where are your shoes? I threw them on the riff at school? This, no lie, why would you throw your shoes? Anyway, I digress. But moving through all of that, give give, Give, Give, Give, which I as who I am. And it's not till you know when I hear the word repurpose. It wasn't my choice. I didn't realize I needed this lesson, but I'm so grateful for it. So what it became was through the businesses again, helping everybody, and at times I would I would be more vested in someone's business than they were. And that's during and it was the it was a highlight in those earlier years as a mentor that I pulled back one hang on a minute, you know, you know, I take take no credit and take no blame. So I had to learn that because I just wanted someone to succeed. And I could see it because my top strength in life is strategic. So here I am. I can see what they've got to do. I can see where it's going to go. They can't. But I would get too vested, always coming back to give, give, give, and it's not till you literally can't anymore. That after the second diagnosis, which that was a shocker, so I'd already done what I thought was all the work. I'd been given the five year clearance, bless and release, you're healed, off, you go ron that I was on the floor and there was nothing left. There was nothing left, and I just and I was facing chemotherapy again, and I'm facing a stem cell transplant, which is where they take your baby stem cells out with a massive, big line in your neck. Then they give them back to you and then you're in hospital for you up, very very sick. They It's a very, very significant thing to go through. And it was at that time that I would sit and think there was nothing left. I could no longer put on my mask of helping, I could no longer put on my mask of hey guys, everything's fine, it's all great. And that is where the repurposing began, because I learnt the lesson that self care was not. I used to think it was a luxury. Oh where the heck did that come from? Okay, how did I believe? And I don't even know if I believed that? It was just there.
Speaker 2: And even if we're across the globe, you know what I mean, Like our cultures are different, we've grown up in different places, our languages are different, and yet we still have these same norms. It's not interesting, yep.
Speaker 3: And and it was just like I look and I think, you know, bron you're an educated woman. How did you miss that memo? What?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: And a lot of it came, honestly, a lot of that came from online be remembering I've got a dual career in marketing and nursing and then in the digital space. It's portrayed to be when you're successful. Back in the last ten years was to hustle, hustle health. Thank goodness, well we're starting to change it, right, so but hustle, hustle, hustle, you got it. And that was what I call being relentless. I was on a relentless quest to succeed. And I succeeded, but it came in a massive cost. And it wasn't till the point where I could no longer literally be bron ron was you know, I literally call it the old bron It's almost like it, you know. And when you have a stem cell transplant, they call it a rebirths. I don't like it. They call it mar it's my rebirth first birthday. But I have respect for those in that space because it's the celebration that they're still on this planet. So let's be thankful for the technology. But it's not till for me. It wasn't till I couldn't did I actually slow down enough and start listening to my inner voice, listening to insert whoever you believe in God, higher purpose, whatever, that I started to listen and go, this is way bigger than me. I can't get out of this one, cannot fix this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, And how I think like now that your you're steps ahead from when that first moment happened. How did how did everybody react when when you began this repurposing of who you were? And I can imagine if I have one of you in my life, I'd probably be pretty reliant on you to help me through everything I needed. You know, like, well did you have like cereal out there where there was this little character Makey. It was like Mikey a leader, Mikey, he'll do anything. It was like mich He'll do it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, after around the first diagnosis, would actually been through quite a significant challenge with one of our boys. And at the time of the cancer, the closest group of friends I had, they have that they've been gone for a long time now. So people come for seasons and I grieved for probably at least a couple of years, like where were my friends when I needed them? They were gone? And you know, people, I have no expectation of how someone will or will not handle when you say to someone you have an incurable diagnos Some people they just can't handle it. And I look at them and go, guys, I'm not dying, I'm not dead. I'm absolutely sweet do I look sweet? I am sweet, And so with my children. What happened was I was no longer sugarcoating life, so I'd stopped. I'd already started doing that already, but I would cry this time, whereas before the first diagnosis I was I would say, you know, you don't know how strong you are until you have no choice, which is true, but I'd wear it like a badge of honor, versus saying it you don't know how strong you are until you have no choice, but vulnerability, being vulnerable to yourself, Because then I started to be true for me. I then, of course became starting to be true. I have amazing relationships with all my boys, and I now talk them through. I will cry in front of I sweeze to have the swear jar in our house for the f work to see, you know, and I had a twenty five dollar fee. So once the second diagnosis came down, well I might as well just pop the phone in the jar, just leave it there like an f poss machine. And so the kids started to see more the real Bron because Bron and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and of course my children and my family around me and and I have no expectation that if people can't handle it, that's okay, that's okay. I love I love them through it. I have compassion. But my encouragement for those who are listening, who have friends and family going through and living through cancer, just acknowledge them. Just acknowledge the situation. You can't fix it. Remember I was misusfix it. We will were a lot of us are missus fix it. So when you all mister fix it, when you can't fix things, just acknowledge them and love them through it.
Speaker 2: Don't try. I can't try to make them feel better.
Speaker 3: Or no, you don't need to make them feel better. And you don't need to tell them that Aunt Joan she had multimal mile I am and she's still alive. Or my aunt Beth and Evil she died, well, thank you for that. Don't worry about it and that because that's your way of coping because you don't know what to say, so you say something. Don't say anything other than oh my god, that sucks. Are you okay? How can I support you? Not give me a call if you need anything. They're not gonna call. No one's gonna call. How can I support you. What's your favorite dinner? You like that pizza shop? Here an anonymous voucher in the mailbox.
Speaker 2: Yes. I remember when my husband had cancer and we had somebody that would come over and I noticed, like our bushes were trimmed in our lawn was mode and I was like, who who did that? And they came over and it was It really changed me to see that versus doing it for pomp and circumstance. And yep, And I know I struggle. I try really hard to sit in the muck with people and not try to clean it up. But I was just having coffee with a friend the other day and I found myself, you know how people are like I have cancer or and there's and I was like, well you had, and I felt that I needed a correct her and I was like I need to reach out to apologize for that because that was not my What did they say that for? I was trying to be.
Speaker 3: You know, well you and you want to be positive, right, Oh god, it's over, Thank god, Ron, you must be so happy. It's all like, it's not over. It's never over. Even if you're ten years out, you're still like with the breastcancer, I my ease out. It's not over. I'm still taking a tablet. I still have annual scans m hm.
Speaker 2: And every time you have a car for anything that yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: Especially for my alignment with bones and things. Right. So it's just to me that acknowledgment is so important to support that person however they want to go through their journey. Yeah is yeah, but it's you know, I'm so but this is going to sound kind of weird. I'm so grateful for what I've learned because now my cup is full every day, well up and down, up and down, but it's never empty. Whereas before I was living on energy from two years in advance.
Speaker 2: Say more about that.
Speaker 3: Because I was relentless. I'm now resilient and I thought I was resilient, and I was resilient, but I wasn't resilient from a place of supporting myself first.
Speaker 2: And maybe for serenity to kind of tie back into what you're doing, it is serenity.
Speaker 3: It is serenity. And they're called serenity moments because you can't you know, like you can't just sit there and you know, it's not loa rambos and lollipops all day and meditating and journaling. That's not how it works, right, And I.
Speaker 2: Don't like it when people say, you know, God only gives you what you can handle or be able to have. That to me, fight fight, answer, like you have some power to fight and win, and then if you don't, you lose, like you've lot your a loser.
Speaker 3: Like I did have someone say it's yeah, I did have someone say to me it was you know, this is God's will? What really really believe that? Okay, that's great for you. For me, absolutely not. God didn't chooses. But God is with me, yeah, to help me learn through the grief and the gratitude because they co exist.
Speaker 2: I really like, I really like a lot of the wording that you have, and well I love everything that you do. And just as a little quick break, and we we're probably gonna go over a little bit, but I can't help it. But Bron and I met here in Wisconsin. She came all the way from Australia for a speaking event that we both did and fell in love instantly. And you might we didn't even talk about why we're calling this Elder Buns. No, Okay, so you noticed that I have.
Speaker 3: In Australia we didn't even know what elder buns are, but we just made.
Speaker 2: It brown and Erica copyright trademark, don't steal it. So I girls that put their hair in a bun look so cute, and it's this messy bun me I look like a ballerina. I can't ever do it right, so I call it my elder bun. And Bron thought it was hilarious, old bunch joking around and said that we're elder buns. And I of course loved Bron immediately because of her accent. I loved her soul and her spirit. I love her husband like they are just effervescent humans. People just flop to them. And I love making her laugh. And I sent we have a picture of me of Bron laughing, and it's my favorite picture. So we'll pop it up so you can see it because I just love her so much.
Speaker 3: Is it a good one? I haven't seen it. People just saying, yes, you have.
Speaker 2: I sent it to you.
Speaker 3: My post, Brian, I wouldn't have a clue, right.
Speaker 2: I know. I know it's like, oh okay, so let's let's let's get to what you're because the whole repurposing thing I don't ever want to say, like, you know, there's a pressure to be like this terrible thing happens and I have to make purpose out of it.
Speaker 3: I agree completely.
Speaker 2: That's and real complaining here. So tell us, tell us about Serenity Project and what what how you can maybe connect that to repurposing or whatever you want to say that people can you know, I have friends who are who are I know will resonate with the work that you're doing. So tell us what you want to tell us and we'll have links everything.
Speaker 3: And oh thank you dolly. So it all came about because I am the Serenity Project, just so you know. So with all of the things that has happened over the years, and when you are brought to not on your knees, when you are flat on the floorboards and you have nothing left, nothing left, and there's only one place you can go for me, and that was to go inwards. And so I started to do some work on myself around energy and forgiveness and compassion. And so when it comes to living through cancer, you get given a treat Meant book and that's in Australia where I live. There's no integrative medicine. You've got to go find it. And I'm educated. I'm looking, I'm finding, I'm looking at all the things, and it's very fragmented, and which means you've got medicine. I love it when people go, you know, alternative therapy. It's not alternative, it's just therapy. It's just that people are choosing this therapy, not that therapy. So it's not an either or, it's an and. And whatever you are choosing for you makes that right. But what happens a lot is that you know a lot of people when they get diagnosed down their friends and family, they just get in it like a little rowboat on the ocean, and they're not rowing, they're just floating around and letting whatever happens happens. I call them passive bystanders. I became an active participant in my care and so I started to how do I do that? So that's where serenity projects started. And it's now become down to a lot of just these small practical ways of things and ways to think, like there is. It all comes from the serenity prayers. So the serenity prayer goes like this, God, grab me serenity to accept what I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference, so as we know, if God, Universe, source Dennis, whoever you believe in, use that's Dennis. There's a long there's a whole story behind that timeline here. But anyway, grab me serenity. Now. Serenity is a moment. It is not a It is not a list of things to do. It is a place so iedly people would sayd me, Oh, bron, You've just got to let it go, let things go. Well I would if I could. I didn't know how to, And now I realize it's just actually letting it be. Human beings let it be, which means that it doesn't go away, but you don't give it the energy you're consciously not. I'm going back to the cancer instrant as I do every other almost every other week on Tuesday, to get my next round of bloods. I'm letting it be. I know the results are there. I don't know what they are. I'm not going to worry about them. I'm not giving it energy. I'm not giving it conscious thought because I choose to be here and now, and that's a serenity moment.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: And the way that your book that's coming in, Yes it is, and where You're Finer.
Speaker 2: Is something that a guess that I had a couple episodes ago where we talked about the overwhelm of the crazy world we live in and just being where your feet are. And when I saw that, Taylor, I was like, Oh, I'm so.
Speaker 3: Exciting because it's it's my Because you know what, when when people are in if you're in a thick of a season of an illness or burnout or cancer and you're feeling those emotions, this is this is just a really practical thing you can do, and you may even do it twenty times a day because you don't just do it once it's done. Is that we want to name the emotion, Name what you're feeling. I had a bad day on Thursday because I had to get an infusion done and I was really frustrated and angry at myself because I didn't want to go. So I name the emotion and what that does It creates that little space between you and the emotion. So this is all evidence based, guys, and in that space we control the controllables. I pause, I reflect, and I respond. And the reason why I was having those feelings was because I felt here we go, I felt like a cancer patient, whereas every other day I don't feel like a cancer patient. And I was angry because I didn't want to be a cancer patient. And so then I worked through that. And the way we do that, especially when those overwhelms are coming, you literally look down and look down and be where your feet are, bring yourself back, because when you've got a lot going on, if you're in active treatment or if your post treatment, or you're caring for someone or it's your grandma or your sister, your babies, you want to be where your feet are. And when we do that, we slow everything down because that's the whole point. The physiological effect of living in that state all the time, and that's what it's like, because that's what it's like to live with. Uncertainty is so powerful. And you know, I breathe in for four and out for six because I'm waking up the vegas nerve. It goes both ways and in that space you will find a moment of serenity. And for me, when and that's what Serenity Project is all about, is to provide a community for people to connect and understand and learn because resilience is learnt. All of this is learned. It doesn't come naturally, certainly, it didn't come naturally to me, right, not at all.
Speaker 2: So no one teaches you how to go through these things and you already take the class if it was out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm no longer in that vortex of fear, knowing I have something that is, according to science, is coming back. I can either focus on that bit or I can focus on just walking around the top of that vortex of fear and I'll fall in, I'll get out, fall in, get out, And that's living with uncertainty. And I do that with the saying I know I will, I just don't know how, because I feel in humans, we all want the dots to be joined in front of us. We want to control. That's what I did. Anyway. You want to you want to join, you you want to see all the dots join, and you just want to follow the dots. Well, guess it's.
Speaker 2: Say it again. I know, I say that again.
Speaker 3: I know I will, I just don't know how. And it's Kerry China if you want to use it. It's by lady who's my dearest friend. She taught me that, and that's how you live and learn to live with uncertainty. I know I will. I'm on a path of healing. I'm never healed, and I'm on that path. I know I will. I don't know how because I don't have all the damn dots in a row. They don't join until they go out behind me. And that is the hardest part in business and life to learn. And you when you make peace and I live in this such a place that I have no emotion around it, I will go. I will not be concerned about my bloods until I walk into that cancer institute with zero anxiety. Swear to God, because I've taught myself that. Once I'm in that room and I get the results for the month, we'll deal with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to let the twenty nine days up to that point suffer.
Speaker 3: I will deal with it in the moment because life is so precious. If we keep ruminating on the past or projecting into the future, we are missing out of the most important part, which is here. So when you're feeling on yourself, don't just literally look down, be where your feet are, breathing for four out for six and just keep ritzy and repeating, and you might have to. On my bad days, I might do that thirty times, not a one off.
Speaker 2: People, and I like that you're you're doing you're doing that, But I and I like that you're you're you're naming what's happening. You're not doing it to deny what's happening. You're in it. And you're like, I'm frustrated. And even just when you said that, I don't like going to there because I feel like a cancer patient and I don't want to be that. And that awareness is so powerful because it doesn't hold as much power in the light that it does in the darkness.
Speaker 3: And it's all about the light because in my weird way, I believe cancer goes in the dark and not everyone. You know, like, I don't blame any like I don't even bother look at why why why White never do any of that? You know what it is? Bad shit happens to good people, full stop. That's it. That's as much energy as I give why someone got a diagnosis. And when you.
Speaker 2: When you have a full step of it at a sentence and you have a period, do you double space In Australia.
Speaker 3: I do I do just so you know, Thank you. I did comment on your post about that I am absolutely a double space.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Please kick you out for all the millennials and gen zus, would you please correct Yeah, And it's.
Speaker 2: Like you guys don't know what it's like when we had to take taping classes and we were you know, corrected. Well.
Speaker 3: I did take typing classes because that's how I got out of nursing to go to marketing. I had to learn to time sixty words a minute. And it was on an old Yeah you was doing something, jumped over to something something.
Speaker 2: Well, my goodness, friend, I have missed you. I love you so much. I want to come to Australia so bad, but it's so far away.
Speaker 3: I need to visit. Listen if I can get on those planes, so can you?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You go via Japan, Go via Japan.
Speaker 2: It's really easy.
Speaker 3: You need Chicago, Chicago, Anita, Anita to Sydney. Sweet, come on, I.
Speaker 2: Can sleep over you. I know you have a lot of bedrooms since you have fighting, you come here.
Speaker 3: I've got a beautiful five acres to come and enjoy this. It's I don't know whether this it's definite. The serenity here is incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it. Okay, well, maybe we'll do an episode out there together. You never know, everybody, Please, I really hope that this resonated with you and if you are struggling with anything in life, whether it's cancer or just dealing with aging parents and life and work and just adulting in general. Kids, just the world that we live in right now, looking down at your feet and being where you are is wisdom. Because I can't control anything. I can barely control what's right here, let alone the.
Speaker 3: Hair and your eldebun. Oh my god, it did a good job.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh things. I even put on cute earrings just for you.
Speaker 3: It did. I miss having hair.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it's coming.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. This is it. I'm stuck with you. This is it. This is it, guys. But it's better than being bold. Hallelujah. So you know there you go.
Speaker 2: Well, this way you can see your cue glasses in your beautiful face.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Let's tell your happy I said hi, and I love him, and we will include all of Bron's information for you all. I would love to have her back, so I'm sure we will do something together again. But thank you, bron Blessings to you and I can't wait until I can hug you in person again.
Speaker 3: Thank you, darling, thank you for having me, and thank you to the listeners. Just insert your own adversity, take out the way cancer and it's just as relevant for you.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it all right, everybody. We'll see you on the next episode. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in to the Funny Kind with Erica Gummeny, where humor meets healing and inspiration meets action. If this episode made you laugh, think or become inspired, be sure to like, share and tell a friend who could use a dose of heart and humor today. And don't forget to tune in to the Funny Kind right here on Transformation Talk Radio for more real talk, big laughs, and light bulb moments. Want to connect with Erica and learn more about turning your pivotal moments into powerful growth, visit your pivotalpoint dot com. Until next time, keep laughing, keep laughing, and keep spreading a little bit of funny and a whole lot of kind.