Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Before we do get started, I do want to let you know this program is brought to you by the financial support of our listeners, and I particularly want to thank Desiree for her support. She became a Patreon supporter at the Detective Sergeant level, which is with a donation of seven dollars and fourteen cents or more per month, and that puts us very close to the two hundred dollars level and Patreon support, So thanks so much for that, Desiree. I also have some changes to the Patreon program to announce. For those of you who do contribute at the fifteen dollars level, the Master Detective or more, We've added a benefit. You can record a bumper to be played on the show and we'll put it in rotation. We actually had a separate level called the Radio Operator level that could record bumpers, but I basically combined things in there so you can record it. And that is at the master detective level, and we also removed a level called the commissioner level. And talk more about those changes in detail after the show. Also, for the those of you with small businesses, we have a new small business advertising program using bumpers. But all that after the show. Let's go ahead and take a listen today's episode of the Adventures of Philip marlow The original air date May the announced in nineteen fifty and the tunnle is the hiding place.
Speaker 2: Get this, get it straight. Crime is a sucker's road. Those who travel it wind up in the gut of the prison of the grave. There's no other end. But they never learn.
Speaker 3: From the pen of Raymond Chandler, outstanding author of crime fiction comes his most famous character in the Adventures.
Speaker 2: Of Philip marlow.
Speaker 3: Now, with Gerald Moore starred as Philip Marlowe, we bring you tonight's exciting story The Hiding Place.
Speaker 4: Missus Bryan's gip Shop. Oh yes, yes, mister Waltman, the book ends. Well, let me see now that was the little Dutch figurines, wasn't it? The boy and the girls? All right, fine, Well, I'll have to. Oh, hold hold the line a minute, mister Waltman, mister Marlow, you you're back, Yes, Missus Bryant, did you find him? Mister Marlow, did you find Chipper?
Speaker 2: Chipper is dead, Missus Bryant. Oh, take easy, Missus Brian. Maybe, but I sit down here.
Speaker 4: No, I'm all right. There's a customer waiting on the phone. I'll finish that.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 4: I want you to tell me everything you found out about my son. Sure, sure, I'll long be a moment.
Speaker 2: As Martha Brian went to the telephone, I braced myself for the story I had to tell her. I tried to figure some last minute way of making hard facts a little softer for a sweet, brave, gray haired lady. I deserved a better break. I first thought about what had happened, brought the whole ugreat business rushing back at me again, turned my mind back like a clock to where it had all begun yesterday morning in my office. And that's say Martha Brian, full of hope and quiet courage. He walked up to my desk, handed me a letter and asked me to find her son.
Speaker 4: His name is Chip, mister Marlowe, or rather Chip now that he's a grown man and he's twenty two, he laughed suddenly, without a word. Six months ago, I've heard nothing until this morning when that letter they addressed a Chip came in the.
Speaker 2: Mail, post mark Saint Louis obispo Oh, sit down, won't you? Missus Brian?
Speaker 4: Thanks you. Maybe I shouldn't have opened it, but well, you see, it's the first indication I've had and all that time that he's eaten alive.
Speaker 2: Good ship. It's been a long drag with the waiting. Is finally over, Darling. Time is now meet me at eleven thirty Monday night at the House with the Big wheels. Signed Toby House with the big wheel What does that mean, missus.
Speaker 4: Brian, I have no idea, but for some reason it flattens me.
Speaker 2: Oh, eleven thirty Monday night, Monday night, that must be to night. Who is this Toby?
Speaker 4: Toby Padler. She's a very very beautiful young woman, platinum blond, oh Chip. I believed he was in love with her. I'm afraid. Oh please don't miss understand me, mister Marlowe. I'm not a possessive mother. I knew i'd give Chipper up some day only I hoped it would be too nice and see.
Speaker 2: A girl Toby Packler isn't.
Speaker 4: She's much too fast. The kind of us is too much, Masscara, and wears things like those little anklet chains they called slave bracelets. I tried to find her after Chip left, but she was gone too.
Speaker 2: Oh tell me, did you and your son argue about Toby, Missus.
Speaker 4: Bryant, No, no, I only saw her once. He knew I didn't think much of her. But that didn't drive him away. Mister Marlow, what did I've never been able to understand. After his father died, Chip became irresponsible and a little while, perhaps especially since I had to spend all my time running our gift shop on Ivar. But but he was a good boy.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: I've tried to convince myself that he left just to prove his independence, to taste his wings, you know.
Speaker 2: But now now what, Missus Brian, Now.
Speaker 4: I'm worried. That letter puzzles me. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Well, it may mean nothing more than you're getting a daughter in law. Uses too much, mass car.
Speaker 4: I hope you're right. I want you to be happy, to settle down. I want to turn my business over to him, and will you try to locate him for me? Here? I have this picture here in my wallet.
Speaker 2: See the chip looks a lot like his mother, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Please find out if my son is all right.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll do my best. My office window I watched to leave the building. So I stopped politely and answer a question for an oily sidewalk passive and a black pinstriped suit, and moved quietly on down the street toward a shop. And I've a neat gentle, very lonely woman. I hoped I'd find a happy story for her in San Luis Obispo. She had one coming. I was still hoping five hours later when I pulled into a mobile gas station in the little town at the foot of the Santa Lucia Mountains, two hundred miles up the coast. I filled up, asked a few questions, and found out that there were only four good hotels, five not so good, and two or three dozen motor corts, and that ran the gamut. So even with nothing but the name Toby to go on, the job wasn't completely impossible. By the time I'd worked my way down into the motor courts, the sun was sneaking off between the rocky hills toward the ocean, and I was still collecting negative answers until I tried to mirror neon combination bar, restaurant and motel called Pinkies on the north edge of tom Sorry, mister, not Tooby Packler registered here. I wait a minute, You sure she's a lovely platinum blonde about me? About what? Huh? I never mind skipped pinky Maybe this is better. When I glanced across the lobby at the bar, i'd caught a man watching me. It was the same Oily character in a black pinstriped suit that I'd seen stop missus Bryant on the street outside my office back in la. He ducked away and I beat it into a bar, just in time to see him slip out of side door. So I followed him outside a gravel path, where him, through a groove of dejected pepper trees, wound up in a lonely walled patio. And when I got there, Oily was out of sight. The reason was simple. The nose of his gun in my back said he was behind me.
Speaker 5: I don't move my low well, well name and all, sure I've been telling you every inch of the way since old Lady Bryant went to see you this morning.
Speaker 2: That's connection oily.
Speaker 5: Exactly six long months of watching him waiting for what for a move, I knew two skunks that'd have to make some time. From the way you've been working. You don't know enough to do yourself, and you go to me any harm. So take some advice, go back to leave it alone, Leave what alone. That's none of your business.
Speaker 2: People. I'll take over from the here.
Speaker 5: But just in case you're running the Chip Bryant or tob me on your way out of town, tell them from me. They're not cutting Lou Race out of his share of one hundred and ten grand. I'm gonna get it one way or another. And Soldier won't forget your rest for a right mind.
Speaker 2: When the brick floor of the patio finally stopped pushing, I was alone except for my ugly thoughts. I knew I was on the right track, but from the sound of things, Chip O'Brian was much less a mama's boy than his mama believed, and made sure Lou Race was nowhere around the motel, and I went into the bar again to see what a double Scotch would do for my headache. The bar tender, obviously was the type of got around, so I took a chance and asked him about Toby Packby. It was no good when I described Toby as a beautiful platinum blonde. A girl sitting alone two stools down, a girl with a short, ragged mouse brown hair and extremely flat, misformed face, dropped her eyes and looked away. I suddenly felt very cheap. I flipped the silver buck on the bar and got up. You know, it was a kind of dumb stunch. You can't apologize for. You just leave. I was halfway to my cop before I realized that the girl had followed me out. Are you? I turned and watched to come toward me. The garish neon light her face was jarringly unreal, the color and texture of hard putty.
Speaker 4: I heard you inside when you asked about Toby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought you had. Do you know her, miss, Yeah?
Speaker 6: I know her.
Speaker 4: She's one of my few friends. What do you want with Toby?
Speaker 2: Well, my name is Marlow and I'm from LA. I want to talk to her about a fellow named Chip Bryan. She's my only lead.
Speaker 7: Chip Bryant. Yeah, she never mentioned that name of lead. Anyway, you're too late, mister Marlow. What do you mean Toby left town this morning. No, she's going up north to Seattle.
Speaker 4: I think on some kind of personal business.
Speaker 2: I listen. Did she ever say anything new about a house with a big wheel where it was what it means.
Speaker 4: House with a big wheel? Yeah, no, I'm afraid not. I'm sorry, mister Mordow. I guess I'm not much help. I oh, good.
Speaker 2: Night, thanks anyway, and good night miss miss Yeah, yeah, Palmer, good night. As the girl walked back to the bar, the little gold chain I'd spotted around her ankle glinted in the brittle light. It was like an echo of her memory. A slave bracelet on her was as out of place as a morning glory and a bit of toadstools. But that gave me a crazy hunch, a hunch that somehow, in the last six months, a gorgeous blond named Toby Packer had become a drab brown head with a flat, stiff face. So I didn't chase wild geese to see atl Instead, I got in my car and I waited. Now all went by, and it was almost dark before she finally came out again, stepped down into a sleek new convertible and drove north out of town. I followed that she turned off a neglected side road and for eight miles twisted through jagged rocky hills toward the mountains. Then suddenly, from the crest of a small rise, I saw what she'd been heading for, an old stone house squatting in a grove of eucalyptus trees. The girl, I figured to be Toby Packler, had slowed almost to a stop. I watched the creep along until she was out of sight. When I got out of my car and I went down for a closer look. Round, brown shingled couplers reared proudly out of choking overgrowth, and on a huge rusty iron gate in front was the name Escobar. Put in the trees. Behind the house, I saw more turning slowly in the stream. There was a giant water wheel, a big wheel rod fast back to town and stop. It the only place I could figure for a quick answer. The opposite of the San Luis Obisco Daily Eagle, the night editor was strictly old school and green ice shaded a sleeve goddess, but still very much on the ball.
Speaker 8: Sir, you want to see the issues of exactly six months ago?
Speaker 2: His head?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that'd be November about the eighth, nineteen ten.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks, thanks a lot. I'm right the sort of sentire.
Speaker 8: In care for that rip those copies. So, by the way, what stir? Are you looking for?
Speaker 2: A small something on a party named Toby Packway? It's not here. Wait a minute, maybe it'll be in Yeah, sure, sure, this is it. On page three, a woman identified as Toby Packer of Los Angeles suffered severe injuries they head and face today when the car she was driving skidding into a bridge. I bought my two miles north of here, so that's how come to face. This packless condition was announce as critical by Clark Emergency Hospital at ten. Yeah is that all you want? That's enough?
Speaker 8: If that answers your question, young man, I put these copies away.
Speaker 2: Had to be careful that headline, Eh, what was that? Let's see that Santa Barbara jewelry store, rob caring thieves escapable gems valued it AE hundred and ten thousand, one hundred and ten grand.
Speaker 8: I remember that two men and a woman got away clean too. Never caught a one of them. You don't mean there's a connection between these stories, dude.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Ask me again after I've checked in at the old Eskebar place, Evan Escabar's place.
Speaker 8: Out in the hills before you are jokings And what in the world could that crack pot possibly have to do with the jewel robber and the car wreck six months ago?
Speaker 2: It beats me, But the some time you can count on it. I think you're crazy.
Speaker 6: But if you're going off.
Speaker 2: There, he should be. What's that supposed to mean?
Speaker 8: You have something in common with that? He's living his own private dream world for so long he's forgotten what the real world's all about. Goodbye, son, I'll see you later, I hope.
Speaker 3: In just a moment. The second act of Philip Marlowe. But first, the fun is always fresh and furious. When Graucho Marx takes over on CBS Wednesday Nights with his wonderful quiz you bet your life, Groucho the master of ad lib, teams up pairs of opposites and then goes to work with his quips and questions, very very solid with laughter. This Groucho Mark show here at this Wednesday and every Wednesday and most of the same CBS stations, now with our star Gerald Moore, the second actor Philip Marlowe, and Tonight's story The Hiding Place.
Speaker 2: From the Road. I had thought of Adam Escaba's place as just another one hundred year entry home, you know, the kind bigger loop frinkle, like an aging nobleman who had retired long ago with his memories. But now that I was there and at the rusted iron gate, it resented my intrusion out loud. I changed my mind. I saw now it had to be a degenerate nobleman. Also, a nobleman had to be flat broke. I saw it everywhere. An am escabar on the gate, and copper lettering had turned a sickly spotted green. The scuff faded family crest in laden tile, and the cement walk was cracked and crumbled. The exquisite stained glass door was cracked all the way down the middle. Only the engraved card in the slot under the knocker that sat adamsco Bia Squire was neat new Landed Gentry's last ditch stand. I was about to knock one.
Speaker 9: You need not bother knocking sirt. I saw you coming up the walk. I am Adam Ascobald.
Speaker 2: He was a small, slight man of maybe sixty plus, with a large head held high in spite of the frayed cuffs, the pattern of the slippers that were cracked and pealing. I introduced myself and followed the meadow a musty living room there while he apologized for no longer having any servants and forts each some brandy mccut plastic cande, I told them all about my search for Chip Bryan, complete with Toby and little Race.
Speaker 9: Frankly, mister Marlowe, I am puzzled. Your drink, sir, oh confused? What does all this have to do with me?
Speaker 2: Or maybe nothing, mister escobarb But the only guess around is that the jewels were hidden here on your property, the house for the big water wheel, and I had the robbery six months ago.
Speaker 6: Why for what reason, sir?
Speaker 2: The police probably Treyo wouldn't want to be picked up with the staff on him, salut and do yours sir thig you.
Speaker 9: Then, then, mister marlow soon after they did that hit the jewels. I mean, the girl, the one with the injured face, had that accident.
Speaker 2: Those are the circumstances, oh more or less, and if I've ad it right, companies coming by eleven thirty. It's ten thirty now. It might be a good idea if he left the home grounds for a while.
Speaker 9: Me leave my own home because of some thieves, because of three commons.
Speaker 2: You get to Reska. It's that or the police. And I'd rather not have a minute for a while. I still owe my client a slight benefit of the doubt that's left.
Speaker 6: You think I am afraid that's what you are doing to.
Speaker 2: Say, No, of course not. But I don't see why you should stake your neck out. These people have nothing to do with you.
Speaker 6: You are wrong, sir.
Speaker 9: Every onnest man has something to do with every criminal his duty.
Speaker 6: I know that now, mister Marlowe.
Speaker 9: If I had known it many years ago, I might still have both my wealth and my property intact.
Speaker 2: Okay, who knows when I come back at my b back?
Speaker 6: But where are you going?
Speaker 2: So in a town it's still like to catch up the chip Bryan before the reunion. I don't think there's going to be the time or place for conversation.
Speaker 6: Conversation with that Brian hoodlum about what.
Speaker 2: Sort about a mother? Mister Escobar, A nice old lady who doesn't deserve a kick in the teeth. Back in San Luis Obispo, I returned to the missing person door to door canvas for the third time that night. Only now I can find myself to the wrong side of the tracks exclusively, and the deeper the dive, the better. I didn't figure the Chip Ryan would show anywhere else, and after a half a dozen quick stops, number seven proved lucky. It was a cramped, greasy bar with a sawdust and cigarette butt floor and a single customer. I hadn't found Chip, but I was close to the depth of mister lou Race, the bar keep, a ball of fat wearing a sweatshirt the size of a tent at his back to me. When I ended, so did Race. So when I tapped the tricky man on his padded shoulder and he turned surprised to see me. Sweet, that's like I was an old dad. I cat got your tongue. I'll get up, get ready to answer a few simple questions. What do you think you're doing? Your buster much head? I'll play you for it unless you want to be up ther rolling chins in trouble with the Lawdsjun, you don't try to help the client tell the cops. Okay, okay, why didn't you say so? I don't know nothing about this guy and I don't know enough. Now come on, race you talk or eat sawt uSwitch. No, no, I'll tell you.
Speaker 6: What do you want?
Speaker 2: One? You Chip Brian Untilby packed my stock up at Santa Barbara jewelry store six months ago.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, yeah, well we did it, but they crossed me up and it was one of the cops were coming and we.
Speaker 2: Split the splitter. You played hoorray filu race and ran without worrying about the others. What's the difference? A reason Toby and Chip Brian won't tell you where they hit the jewels. That's a difference.
Speaker 6: Nuts. You're standing on one of ear people.
Speaker 5: Toby had a different reason for crossing like what ah like, I've fallen in love with that lous Bryant.
Speaker 6: The kit she baited and they're coming along with us, but flapping.
Speaker 2: The baby blues.
Speaker 6: The kit was supposed to the car period.
Speaker 2: That's how she crossed me. Anyone else, Yeah, that's happened. Where's Brian now?
Speaker 10: One of two places either with Toby Pakla with good Knight Sweetheart.
Speaker 2: By the time I made it to the door of the second company, Sam Spade was across the street behind a park car and streaking for an alley in the middle of the block. Just as I thought I was gonna lose, and became the breast of a dark doorway, and I saw it, and I'm raised quickly, the grint of a knife played, the arm dropped sharply. Whoever had done it slid away in the dark as suddenly as he appeared. When I was next to a race, there was only the caller's card, the black ivory handled knife driven to the hilt in between the dapper man's shoulders. He was going out fast.
Speaker 6: Holy car, How it happened?
Speaker 2: Mantrace? Race? Do you know who got you? Yeah? Dark black eye every handle? Yeah? Why? Why? What was it mean? Who's belonged to race?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 2: Kid? Ryan?
Speaker 6: He's dead? Huh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so we're all the prayers of one missus Martha Bryant. Oh she never mind, never mind. Listen, call the cops telling. My name is Philip Marlow. I'm a private detective, and I may be able to explain all this later. Right now, I'm doing a house with a water wheel and explain that later too, if I'm lucky.
Speaker 9: Oh, mister Marlow, I'm glad you're here, sir. It is almost eleven.
Speaker 2: I know, have you seen anyone? Miss ask and I have.
Speaker 6: Been watching very close. Ready nice, my father owned these pistols.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hope it's been oil since Now look I didn't locate chip right. Wait a minute, isn't that a car? They're turning off a row without any lights on, Yes.
Speaker 6: And going along the side of my property line.
Speaker 9: But Tody, what would we could you a woman, mister Malone.
Speaker 2: No doubt, named Tony Peckler. Now look, you stay here, mister Escobar, and keep that blunder bus ready. Don't forget ship Bryan's due out here, Tony, he said, killer, keep your eyes open. We'll stand a better chance meeting him one at a time. I went around to the side of the house quickly, then kept close into a long line of eucalyptus trees that ended at a crumbling building that had once been servants quarters. After that, it was only twenty yards the water wheel, twenty open yards the huge ancient circle of hand hewn wood that complained against the side of a dreary squad stone mill that had long ago died of old age. There in the faint half light of a hazy moon, I saw Toby Packler kneeling at the corner of the building with both hands working curiously to loosen a stone the size and shape of a football. There was a gun on the ground next to her. I moved close to my hand, tight on the thirty eighth of my pocket. Then I waited till she had the stone out, and that baby hands a six months old secret. It wasn't bad, Aim, just a warning, Toby.
Speaker 4: How do you know my name?
Speaker 2: I read your mail. I get back over to your homespun safety deposit box there and take the jewels out.
Speaker 1: Go on, all right?
Speaker 4: Why shouldn't I soldier?
Speaker 7: You won't go any place with them. Chip will see to that.
Speaker 2: Hell they're God, get back, they're up here.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: You understand the God God. I'll tell me. Is this why you hit them? Nobody else knew? Raise the chip, Bryan.
Speaker 4: Race didn't even know about this place?
Speaker 6: And a d up your gun?
Speaker 2: Do it? Miss Peckler? Mister Adam esca bar es quiet, quiet, so cheap?
Speaker 6: Brian? How's the jewels all the time? What do you know about jewels.
Speaker 9: You'll see the Speckler that night six months ago when you stood over there on the other side of the water wheel and told Bryan that you had hiden the jewels and would tell him where later on.
Speaker 2: I was listening, you know they were here. I don't tell anything to anybody.
Speaker 9: It was, of course, quite by chance that I overheard you. But after you had that accident with your car, I searched as diligently as though a partner, searched Miss Peckler for money.
Speaker 6: That could mean so so much to me that I found naughty.
Speaker 4: Where are they?
Speaker 2: You really tell me?
Speaker 4: Well, do you know.
Speaker 6: That I see this?
Speaker 9: I think place is it was where Chip Bryan stood there for the jewels and not not buried.
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I think, Toby, that he killed Chip Bryan almost six months ago, and that he buried him here on these grounds, without knowing that Shep had already found the jewels.
Speaker 6: Why ship then quite there? I killed him two days after your accident. I found him searching for the jewel.
Speaker 3: Now, no, you're lying.
Speaker 4: She was supposed to go back a lost Andrews.
Speaker 9: Wait until I was.
Speaker 7: Well, wait for my leadder.
Speaker 2: Didn't Toby come out here, found the jewels and was killed by our host.
Speaker 9: No one that I couldn't find them these months type search daydn't day.
Speaker 6: I'll scratch them dog and Corning and Rain.
Speaker 2: I buried him, but you didn't burry his knife? Did you? That? You captain news down a little race tonight? Why so you can shoot me then him? Or so that if I'd very lucky, I can run away to live some more? A smashed face.
Speaker 4: To face, one.
Speaker 2: Escabar turn around point that gun at me? Missed them my lord, now it's self defense. Toby.
Speaker 4: Toby is bad, real bad. I had so much once wet face, a guy name.
Speaker 11: Chip, jewels, everything, I was a big wheel.
Speaker 2: It was nice.
Speaker 4: Uh yes, yes, mister workman. The book ends will be sent out to you this afternoon at the lady. Thank you for calling. Goodbye. I'm sorry to have kept you. Mister Marlow. Well, it may be hard for you to believe. In the minute I was on the phone, and even while I talked, I think I saw Chipper's whole life before me.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean. Well, missus, Bryan, I found out that.
Speaker 4: Your son Chip, Yes, you found out what mister Marlow? What are you staring at.
Speaker 2: Oh I had showcase there.
Speaker 4: Oh, our mother's stayed displayed. It's attractive, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very missus. Bryan Chip was killed in a storm at sea a week a week after you saw him. It was off San Francisco. His body was never recovered. I was told that he was on his way to a new job Canada at the time. And incidentally, that letter from San Luis Obispo that that was all a mistake. That girl never saw a chipping outside. I left my car where i'd pocket and walked through the busy city street. You know, it's a funny thing. Lies can cause more trouble in this world than almost anything else they say, and at the same time can sometimes bring them most happiness.
Speaker 3: The Adventures Philip Marlowe Bringing You Raymond Chandler's most famous characters, star Gerald Moore, are produced and written by Norman McDonald and written for radio by Robert Mitchell and Gene Levitt. Featured in the cast, where Virginia Gregg, Joan Banks, Herb Butterfield, Louis Gene Height, Bob Griffin, Howard mcneer, and Lee Malar. The special music is composed and conducted by Richard urunt, be sure and be with us again next week when Philip Marlowe say.
Speaker 2: It started at down in the Los Angeles taxi and wound up that night on a cliff in the middle of the Pacific, all because of a Dutchman with five three thousand dollars, a corpse in a lily pond, and an Oriental with a chow fore who wanted a cloak may have nothing but feathers.
Speaker 3: This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.
Speaker 12: This is Andrew from Otrwesterns dot com. I wanted to invite you to come take a look at our site. We stream live OTR Westerns twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, along with putting out podcasts of old time radio Westerns. Check us out at OTR Westerns dot com. You're listening to the great detectives of Old Time Radio with Adam Graham. Now let's get back into the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Obviously, in the episode itself, the his referencing Sam Spade was because the thug had told him good night, sweetheart, which was one of Sam Spade's key catchphrases from the nineteen forties and fifties radio. This was a really well done episode. There are few radio programs that really when they are written with that intent. A detective show that can really break your heart is Philip Marlowe. It's definitely a very well done, but downbeat ending that ends with marlow a very out of character not telling the client the full story. But it's hard to blame him too much in this particular instance. Well, we turned out a listener comments and feedback, and we have a new review on iTunes from Lewis from Miami, who rots thank you for posting these classic old time radio programs for people like me to appreciate. I'm twenty seven year old and listen to this podcast every day. I go to sleep to this podcast each night. I give it ten out of ten. Well, thanks so much, Lewis, and I appreciate you listening out there twenty seven. I was just a little bit younger than that when I started podcasting, so I can definitely relate, and thanks so much for listening. All right, Well tomorrow, Nick Carter. Next Wednesday, another episode of Philip marlow and be sure Monday a new program and Tuesday a new program will be leading off with Michael Shane and the Crime Files of Lamont. Now we're going to discuss changes to our Patreon program and also our new small business advertising program. If neither of these topics are interests of interest to you, then it's all We'll see you tomorrow for everyone else. When we started the Patreon program several months back, I believe we started mid June. I based it on kind of combining elements from a couple other of shows whose Patreon pages I saw, and I came to reflect that the podcast that I'd used as a model weren't in some ways many of the rewards they used didn't work too well for our show, and so I did go ahead and I removed the Commissioner reward, and I also removed the Radio Operator reward, which basically let people record a bumper that would be guaranteed to be used twice a month. And what I've done instead is I've added a feature to the Master Detective reward, which is at the fifteen dollars level, where you can record a bumper and it will be played no more than once a month. And I also thought that in addition, over the years, a lot of people with small businesses have emailed me interested in advertising on the show, and I have really not had a program that would work for I've had programs in the past that were kind of based on some of the advertising contracts and experiences we had back when Great Detectives in the old time Dragnet show had sponsors way back in the day two thousand and nine and before, and that just doesn't work for small business budgets, so we rarely hear back on it. So I decided to just design a program for people who have small businesses would like to reach our audience, which is ten thousand people plus on average per episode worldwide, and so I wanted something that would be affordable. And so we're going to start out. We'll see how successful this with a bumper ad. Now, these ads will air just like what you heard today from Andrew. They'll air between the episode and my commentary. These won't be very involved and they'll basically have the purpose of bringing people back to the show. The example I have on the website is if your name is Kate McNeil, you might say this is Kate McNeil of Caikescookies dot cook We offer the finest chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies you can order online. Ask about our seasonal specials. You're listening to the great detectives of old time radio. So something that's very short, sweet, succinct, and just simply lets people know about your business and a few short words. And you also have the option you can have me read an ad and I would say something such as, our commentary today is brought to you by Keats Cookies dot cook check out their great chocolate chip or peanut butter or cookies and be sure to ask them about their seasonal specials. You're listening to the great detectives of old time Radio, so one of those two options are available to you. Now, if you are an advertiser interested in running one of these ads, what you need to know is that one all ads are subject to host approval, and any ads that are for anything that's not family friendly or for financial services will not be accepted. Or if it's just an advertiser, I don't think would fit the show, but I'm fairly open as to what I will consider as long as the company is in the business is reputable. It does require that you run the ad for at least two months, and your ad will air four times during the month, each time on a different program. Though at least one episode is guaranteed to be an episode of Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, our most popular series, and we will actually only except three advertisers at one time. If you're interested in doing this, we need to hear from you by the fifteenth of the month prior to the month in which you want your ants to run. So if you would like to have your bump or ad run in November, we need to hear from you by October fifteenth. Full details are at advertising dot great Detectives dot net. Well that will do it for today, and you can also support a Patreon Patreon dot great Detectives dot net. But from Boise, Idaho, this is your host, Adam Grahamson and off