Speaker 1: Well, you provide the show with depth.
Speaker 2: Justin worship join us Wednesdays.
Speaker 3: Hey, I had a great time listening to your show on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: You know as much as we d around in here.
Speaker 3: Talking about kids, I really enjoyed it. It was it was a lot of information, a lot of succinctly put information, and I learned a lot and I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It was entertaining as well.
Speaker 4: You can make fun of me for crying, by the way, I can. I could take it.
Speaker 1: I cried to hear the whole thing. You cry, I.
Speaker 4: Cry, Sweet Jesus, the change in her face like she wanted to take back everything. At the top of the second hour, I got emotional because I had a trust attorney on giving people advice on a state planning and uh, and so reliving.
Speaker 2: The loss of my father that I don't at least say, you don't care, like you're the only one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Dad's dead. It's not over your crying stepfather minutes ago.
Speaker 4: I know, trust me, this is how much again you guys pop into my head like Jimmy Crickets of radio in that I'm leaving the building, and I was like, how is that show, and then I immediately the two of you like pop up on my shoulder, go you cried your little baby.
Speaker 1: You don't have to tell me.
Speaker 3: You think that if I heard you crying on the radio, I wouldn't have led with that like, oh yeah, what was going on there?
Speaker 4: That's why I said it because I wanted to.
Speaker 2: I wanted you to know that if it ever came.
Speaker 4: Up, then I could take it.
Speaker 2: Obviously I could take it.
Speaker 4: But no, I think it went well. Honestly, you can do it again this week. This Sunday is the last day, and then they decide if they want to give it to me or not.
Speaker 3: Really, gosh, that's like that's a sudden death.
Speaker 1: A lot of pressure, guys, Hey, don't cry.
Speaker 4: This just wisdom from.
Speaker 2: A couple of broadcasts.
Speaker 3: You want us to come in and just throw crap at you so you don't cry?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I mean, this is like fourth quarter and I don't thrive this kind of pressure. I'm not a closer.
Speaker 2: Prior. Well, let's get personally here. Do you have ADHD?
Speaker 4: I do not, as far as I'm.
Speaker 2: Aware anybody who does. Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Part of why I wanted to bring this in is because there's so much information here that I think, I don't think it necessarily is saying that people who are saying they have ADHD don't. But what the biggest thing that left out to me was that the expert who kind of like pioneered the research in this, he felt like a three percent threshold of diagnosis for our country was fair, and in nineteen I think it was ninety seven that jumped up to six percent or five and a half percent. In two thousand it was six point six percent, and then today it's at let me see, eleven point four percent of Americans are diagnosed with ADHD. And what's interesting too, is that he was researching the benefits of using ridlin, which is essentially an amphetamine, and they use that to treat ADHD, and so they did studies to compare it versus behavioral therapy.
Speaker 2: And riddlin and Riddlin mop the floor.
Speaker 4: With behavioral therapy as far as it's effect on people with ADHD. Until you get to thirty six months. After three years, there is virtually no difference in the modification of behavior between somebody who was on riddling and somebody who's getting behavior even.
Speaker 5: After having used it for for thirty six months. You like, after you're three years old, you can't you can't.
Speaker 4: Use it anymore.
Speaker 2: But beforehead hop them, go for it, burn them, take all you want.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: So, but the the idea of and we saw this, it's not the it's not an exact correlation. We saw this with the discussion about autism and autism the increased rates of autism. Is it because we're diagnosing it now better or more than we were thirty forty years ago? Where is where do we stand with that?
Speaker 2: When it comes to EIGHTYHD.
Speaker 4: It seems like it again, like you already said, very very different circumstances.
Speaker 2: Like what's interesting to me is they use.
Speaker 4: Nine different categories in two different in two different characters. So there's nine categories for inattentiveness and then there's nine categories for just behavioral issues or impulsiveness. And all you have to do is get sick. So that's eighteen total. You just have to have six from any category and you are diagnosed with ADHD. So not a doctor, but just doing some basics. He's pointing at someone in the room that is not me. If that's helpful.
Speaker 3: What's the difference between ADHD and easily distracted.
Speaker 2: There's got to be some crossover there. I think that's part of.
Speaker 4: The conversation we're having, right Like, just like you know, on love on the Spectrum, there is a woman on there who said that she is on the spectrum, but she is not what like I'll say myself, not what a dumb person who has knows very little about about.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking about that.
Speaker 4: I don't think of her as a rapist. She is an empowered woman who wants to have sex, and that as well she should. How she's an adult as long as she could find somebody. Take the shovel out of my hand, please carry anything at all.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, and you're in sudden death zone and I'm just laying the mass.
Speaker 1: I take back to that comment and I will move on.
Speaker 2: That's alarious.
Speaker 4: So again, I wish I had more of an answer for that question other than the experts are saying in writing that they believe it is over diagnosed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because it was underdiagnosed for so long.
Speaker 3: I think my mother and her brother definitely had ADHD or have it.
Speaker 1: He's dead, she's alive. But like the just the level of like.
Speaker 3: Things going on and you know, getting easily distracted and all of that, like all over the place, energy and all the things. But they didn't diagnose women for so long. With this is another thing. It's it's still wildly underdiagnosed when it comes to women because they think of it as a little boy problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: The little girls are supposed to just seen and not heard, and then you've got all your crazy stuff going on.
Speaker 2: In your brain. Is this also a geographical problem?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, well we saw that with autism where there were pockets of it, right. You saw it like in the South, the rich areas or as being diagnosed because these were parents who were like, I think there's something going on and had the time and the extra money and the leisure to take their kid in and to whatever specialist and get this diagnosis.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I want to know, because you're talking about the behavioral therapy that that as a as a way to treat adhd add and adhd And I'd be curious if if a kid had something to do on a regular basis, job, chore, lot, whatever, you've got to get yourself ready for school, parents aren't is does any of that change.
Speaker 4: The likelihood of a diagnose. So what later on two things that I think are interesting. Once a child or a person has been on Riddlin for thirty six months, they did research and you're more likely to be at least an inch shorter or about at most an inch shorter than other people who are not taking Riddlin, which was interesting as well. But then at the very end of the article, the doctor says that the biggest help has more to do with their circle of friends as they get older than any other treatment. So if you can get them around a peer group that I'm guessing Unfortunately they don't expand on it, but based on the multiple psychologists stuff I talked to on the podcast back in the day, I think what they're saying is is that if you could get them in a supportive environment, but that one that isn't necessarily enabling or making excuses for them, but kind of can gently push them to get better, that they will thrive.
Speaker 5: Interesting because you could do that same thing when it comes to emotions, Yeah, talked about before, like dealing with your emotions, Yeah, as opposed to claiming anxiety and then allowing yourself to shut down.
Speaker 1: Worsham joins us.
Speaker 6: We talk about the children talk about the children, which true, we're talking about anxiety actually just before the break there and some new science studies anxious children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the kind of parent that would raise an anxious child.
Speaker 4: They serve us this back at twenty fifteen, they surveyed nine hundred paternal and fraternal and identical twins who had children, and what they were trying to do is to use this as a way to figure out if anxiety is more nature or nurture, right, so is it genetically passed on? And what they found, in short is that the child of the twin had more in common with their parents than they did the parents twin. Does that make sense, Yes, The part that doesn't make sense to me is that it's not accounting for whoever the other parents' biological contribution would be.
Speaker 2: But you're missing Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because if mom's the anxious one, and you've got the two dads, or you've got the brothers that are twins, and then that one of the twins hooks up with an anxious woman, they have a kid that pops out, and the kid's anxious, dad's not anxious.
Speaker 4: And they did some digger, deeping, deeper, digging into it and they found that. They called it negative behavior, negative parenting behaviors, And what they were saying is that this would be an example of a parent actually inducing anxiety because they feel it, and so this is that thing of But it kind of supports their premise is that where they think anxiety really comes from is the environment. And for me personally, I would go back to the pandemic. Right, My kids were not impacted at all. And I'm not saying I did it right. I'm not saying them did it better. That's not my point. My point is it's just they didn't. They weren't anxious about it. It didn't really affect them academically other than what it would have affected anybody to not be in a classroom. But socially it didn't affect them. But I know a lot of people who their kids were heavily impacted. But I also feel that they were also impacted.
Speaker 5: Right, So if you're if they would they were in many ways, or we've said in many ways.
Speaker 2: They'll take your cues.
Speaker 5: Yes, how you handle a situation is how they would handle a situation.
Speaker 4: And a survey basically supports that.
Speaker 5: And we've said this before, like it's important for me if I'm ever at a restaurant, or we were at restaurants with our kids, which didn't.
Speaker 2: Happen very often because they're kids, you know, want to take into a restaurant.
Speaker 5: But it was always to show respects to the people that were serving your you know, your waiters and waitresses or whoever it was, and the people deliver your food.
Speaker 2: You'll always say thank you to them.
Speaker 5: Tried to impress our kids by tipping well and things like that that you just take your cues in those types of environments, but also those higher stress environments. How does mom handle it when the bills are due, or how does dad handle it when he gets called out on the softball field for being a loser.
Speaker 4: And I think the takeaway from this is that my intent Obviously, I'm a guy who cries. I'm very emotional, but I think when it comes to worrying, for lack of a better way of putting it, that's just not my thing, right so, but that my kids are probably a more either that or they're overcrecting the other way, Like, I don't want to be a big baby like my father, because I definitely cry more than anyone in the house.
Speaker 2: I know, right, But.
Speaker 5: I again, I I just I'm not thinking as much as I talk crap about it.
Speaker 1: I think it's very it shows a lot of strength.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if it's just strength does I'm not comfortable with that. I'm with you, Gary, Yeah, carry's thinking of me. I'm not. I'm not trying to pretend like I'm strong.
Speaker 1: I'm just cry in front of his children.
Speaker 4: But I think what I what. The big takeaway in fact, I actually talked about this with my therapist earlier, was that he pointed out to me that I when when thinking back on my father, my father always had it together and he always was like there was As a teenager, I was like, I just wish this guy would be wrong once right. And as I've gotten older, I've seen that, Yeah, he had flaws, he had weaknesses. He's a guy, and so I've decided to just be more transparent with my weaknesses with my kids in case maybe that helps them to grow up and not feel not that Again, I wasn't a victim of anything. I'm just saying that if there's some way that I can prove on what I think my father did an amazing job as a father. I'm just trying to make it a little bit better. So that's part of the reason. Also, because I can't really control it.
Speaker 1: How much to pay this therapist.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It comes out of my interests.
Speaker 3: Want you want to stick around for another hour, Sure, we'll take them moo.
Speaker 4: That's really going to help me with my Sunday audition chant and if also let you do psychoanalyze me for an hour to forget about what's going on in the world.
Speaker 1: One thing I want to.
Speaker 4: Have before we leave, though, that I thought was interesting is there was also examples within this data that parents could pick up anxiety from their children. Really yeah, that it works in the reverse as well, that if you had a kid who was more anxious, which I think makes sense because you're naturally going to.
Speaker 1: Fear more anxious.
Speaker 3: I can see you being anxious about your kids anxieties exactly your own, but feeling like kind of on pins and needles, like are they going to have another episode or whatever kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I was very Mike's older son was a very anxious young man. Now he is not. Now she was a little boring.
Speaker 2: He's definitely over grade confidence. All right, good for Justin Sunday from two to four, two to four, last day, tune in or find the podcast.
Speaker 1: So what do you find out?
Speaker 3: Like? Is this like cheerleading trials? Like you go to the girl's chin and there's a list. There's a list at noon, and you find out the next day.
Speaker 4: There it is. Two people who've worked in radio for decades longer than I am are asking me how this is going to go.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I have no clue.
Speaker 4: They didn't tell me that part.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're cheering for you. I hope I get it.
Speaker 4: I just want a cool radio firing story where I come in and my badge doesn't work or something one of those I didn't get that.
Speaker 1: I see you going down in a.
Speaker 2: Fire in the studio door, and you're not a.
Speaker 1: Quietly the key card guy.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks the b