Speaker 1: Welcome back today. We're going to be discussing the digital revolution, social media, and sociology of screen addiction. With me is the biggest screen addict. I know, Ryan, how are you doing doing well?
Speaker 2: But I will correct for the audience that caith is west in May.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably, Yeah, we are.
Speaker 1: We will be talking about screen addiction and all of the negative effects this is happening on people. And I think we can both be honest and say that we are we are affected by this as well, but we're we're trying to we're trying to fight back against it. I can at least say though that it's it's kind of part of my job, it's part of my vocation. Whereas you're just like a regular you're a screen addict for five likes on Twitter, it's not quite the same.
Speaker 2: No, I could use that excuse of you know, being politically active and needing to reach people. But yeah, I think I am guilty of slight addiction like most other people.
Speaker 3: At what social.
Speaker 1: Media, reaching people on social media?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm too radical for the mainstream.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so where do we want to start it with this?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the starting point is kind of around twenty ten. I really remember a sharp distinction between kind of when I was leaving school two thousand and eight, Facebook was the first.
Speaker 3: Real social media.
Speaker 2: I mean, there were things before that, like MySpace, but that didn't really have any significance.
Speaker 3: It was very basic.
Speaker 2: But Facebook around two thousand and eight when it started being launched worldwide other than just America universities, that's really when social media started. And around that time I thought it functioned in a much more social way than it does now. For example, you would, you know, typically be invited to someone's eighteenth birthday party or whatever event and someone would upload photos from a digital camera, lots of group photos photos of the event, and there was also functionality for events where you could invite your friends. There were lots of promoters at university and other social groups.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: There was a lot more connection to an actual social circle around that time.
Speaker 1: It's funny, it's almost like wholesome in hindsight, even though it was seen at the time as.
Speaker 3: Well, people saw it as this really deleterious.
Speaker 1: Thing, but in hindsight, like because it was being used to basically augment existing social networks, like the examples you gave, yeah, it was. There was a lot of organizing events like you know, you've be in groups with your I guess for me it would like classmates or yeah, people's work colleagues and you know, organized parties around that. There was events, but it was it was very like real life based, right, like even the you know, people buying and selling stuff on there and yeah, organizing parties, organizing charity events.
Speaker 3: But there wasn't.
Speaker 1: The There wasn't really the East Lab phenomenon. It was like, you know, you got your three four hundred, five hundred friends and you know, it was it was a way where you organize your social circle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean in those days you even had your top friends, so you could see who your you know, closest circle is. You could see the relationship statuses. You know, they were you know, origin of gossip. And but I think after that when the people started using the status to be more political and then there were comments being made, and this was at a time when society was politically starting to polarize. I think that scared a lot of people off. And a few years later, once smartphones really picked up, the camera quality increased, possibly led by celebrity culture and women. I would guess women's desire to avoid conflict that I think there was a mass exodus to platforms are Instagram, which are really just image based.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Snapchat as well around that period of time. Like I'm not sure of the years here, but I think like as you go into the twenty tens, Instagram and Snapchat become a lot more popular, and then Instagram just starts to completely dominate around the time where meta takes it over.
Speaker 2: Yes, Snapchat did have a usp for a while, but Zuckerberg, as you always does, he just steals the steals a concept and then Instagram short stories really started to dominate, and then they did quite well with the reels concept, which is kind of stealing the TikTok idea. So Zuckerberg did very well with acquiring well, he even acquired Instagram originally, he just acquired the whole social media apparatus and made it work under the meta banner. And even Facebook now, which was considered a dead platform, has had kind of a renaissance as like a local networking group. You've got the marketplace. Boomers are still on there and even they're launching their dating now. So that's kind of the way. It's a volt.
Speaker 1: But what happens during that period when Instagram becomes more dominant, Like you said, it moves to more image based and you've the obviously massive improvement in camera quality. But then also so it moves to the focus being the follower count. I think that became a bigger deal where you know, normal people can enter that influencer space. So there's kind of a midspace where you're not officially an influencer, but you can, you know, you can get enough enough popularity on social media that it feels like it. And then that's I think that's when the heavy kind of algorithmic manipulation of people's reward circuitry comes in. It's it's the follower counts, and increasingly images and videos are put into a global feed rather than just to who's following the user. So you have a period of that with Instagram and Twitter. Twitter becomes a bit more, you know, it becomes a lot more parasocial in terms of celebrities start using it just to sound off. It becomes more personalized to them. But then I think around the time tiktokis off, that's when you get the extreme algorithmic manipulation of you know, you use these apps and it's it's heavily focused on, you know, the bursts of dopamine and you know, looking for the next poster pops off and very quickly apps like Instagram and others mimic some of the most addictive features of TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the algorithms have definitely become far more aggressive, which was TikTok's original innovation. But going back to something you just said in terms of the follow account, I definitely think women's whole lens of the social world has moved not only online but universal, and they are or many of them, especially gen Z I've noticed this myself, is they live their whole existence.
Speaker 3: Through the lens of Instagram.
Speaker 2: They are many of them posting the most mundane of life updates. They they plan their lives around what will look good on Instagram. They are literally photographing and video in everything and given a daily update. I mean, some of these Slavic girls are insane, like you know, the Ukrainian refugees. They walk around like they're like they're a journalist and they will they will narrate their life to the audience like they're like they're the main character in some kind of news channel or something. It's it's really bizarre. I mean, it may it may have already peaked. I'm possibly guilty of being a bit optimistic now, but I've been on that kind of social network less lately, I've noticed less of it. But yeah, that's definitely being a feature of the last few years, just planning your whole life around what you can put on.
Speaker 1: I do think I don't know what the statistics are on male versus female usage of these platforms, but I would I would imagine take to Instagram, excuse much more female. But just as you're saying that, thinking like, really it really does fit female psychology that basically Instagram becomes like a collage of your life highlights, Like it seems like that's something that's much more appealing to the female mind, is to create a kind of narrative of these highlights of your life, these learning moments, these big experiences you've had. Their social media feeds are much more curated that way than men's, for example. You know, there's there's like a narrative there that they want to build. I wonder how much that's affected social life in other ways. I mean, I'm sure we'll discuss this again, but you know, one thing that comes to mind is how how long people are to land family formation. You have to wonder how much of that as a factor when there's a sense of like you have to collect x number of experiences in your twenties and kind of build us up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean my theory of female psychology is that they kind of see their life far more as a story book. And as you say, like, you know, their youthful prime is this opportunity to gather the most attention, create these unique experiences. And you know, every time that they post, they're being socially validated, which is really what women run on. You know, every post is feedback that gives them oxytocin serotonin. It makes them feel close to people. It's not just men simpin and you know try and get them on a date or whatever. It's the sisterhood validation. So you know, there's so much, you know, so many neurochemicals feeding into this technological integration that we're now going through as a species. And I just think, you know, we're fifteen or so years into this and the boomers are kind of blissfully unaware with how much this is affecting the younger generations, and it's intrinsically linked with the birth rate collapse. And as you say, this whole storybook mentality and collecting experiences in the youth is definitely exacerbating this extended childhood before family formation can even occur. And it also inhibits family formation because the whole lens of attraction and sexual selection is also being shifted. But I don't think we're going to go too much into that today, but yeah, it's certainly causing a lot of problems socially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will cover the fertility crisis more in depth in a sense, we'll probably touch on these topics a lot again. But yeah, it's really it's two core aspects. I mean, one is the way you described it with the storybook approach to life. But then the other thing is the neurochemical aspect of it, where you know, women are primed for these neurochemical rewards, whether it's you know, oxytocin from forming close bonds or dopamine, the reward from kind of the chase or the feeling of being desired, And traditionally, obviously this was provided by one person through courtship, through relationships came from a pool of a small community, and so you know, to get those rewards, you had to engage in pair bonding, right, you had to have close relationships. But now yes, it's abstracted. You just kind of collected from this global marketplace, and that has profound effects on family formation, which we'll discuss again, but also even just on the effect of individual communities the way the way it adomizes people Like I think everyone can observe the way traditional social life. Maybe it's funny to use traditional for it, but even you know, the the customs of going out to pubs and clubs that's kind of dying among gen Z and gen Elfhan. There's all sorts of statistics on this. Now gen Z are the you know, the lowest alcohol drinking generation ever, and it's absolutely tanking in the trends. You know, you can observe in Ireland, for example, I know different small towns and cities where former clubs and bars are closed and there just isn't really a ute scene for that anymore. And I think that's that's a huge part of it is is women are much more drawn to find than those rewards on social media.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, absolutely the men follow female desire. So if women are checking out because you know they're getting those neurochemical hits elsewhere. Why would the men go out drinking at great expense if you know there are no women there. I mean, there was a photo posted on X a few months ago. It's what used to be an incredibly busy a couple of pubs in Leicester Square, middle of London, and I remember, you know, being like twenty years old and seeing the queues like right out the door, just you know, one hundred eighteen year old girls queuing up to get in, and the photo just it's completely dead, no one's out.
Speaker 1: I could think of the same thing in the space of ten years. Places that, yeah, every Friday and Saturday were well, I know they're.
Speaker 2: And it's not just those kind of youth pubs or whatever. It's also the nightclub scene. It's completely dying. I used to be involved in that, and I've seen DJs posting that there's no work anymore. So I'm surprised that even that scene is dying. And yeah, you mentioned alcohol. The you know, the markets realize this and a lot of these alcohol conglomerates are trading expecting terminal decline. But when you get a situation like this, where there's a lack of youth socializing, you get social circle collapse, and you know, to be socially active, you kind of need like a couple of groups to hang out with. You know, you pick up new people here and there that you like because you've met them at different events. But if you don't engage, you just get huge spirals of the client. It's like, you know, rural areas declining and they lose their services and the community collapse because no one the group isn't big enough to sustain a perpetual cycle of sociability. So there the youthhor in trouble, I would say, And it's you know what, what can they really do if this situation is occurring. It's like what one on one dating with anonymous people and apps? And again that's not really stimulating to women because there's no real social proof. I don't think their theory of mind is as good as they claim. They're not very good at reading. Really what the intent of you know, whatever these men are claiming they are on on the apps.
Speaker 1: So I know you're dying to fire off to stake you have at some point about female empathy and emotional intelligence.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I will say that I don't want to done women too much, but yeah, it's it's a dark time, I would say, and it's it's hard to even find solutions for this kind of crisis.
Speaker 1: When you mentioned that as well, in terms of like rural communities that are kind of being left behind and losing a certain vitality or social life they once had, I mean, I do think of a certain kind of person, you know, especially when I think of like rural Ireland, I think of a certain type of person that would have had an act of social life in those areas that it is disappearing now. And when I think of the kind of person that's left behind by that, it's really the same kind of person that's being left behind with these new Daton dynamics. If you think of, you know, with social media, we're really moving back to a case of female sexual selection, and certain traits are selected for and certain traits are not that once made it true. But you know, certainly men that are more brash, arrogant, you know, van that can put themselves out there more, that can get a follow and that can get attention rewarded, that have something remarkable about them. But if you think about the kind of person that is left behind that not very long ago would have successfully started a family and you know, been respected in his community. There is a certain type of maybe industrious and functional and reliable, but not especially remarkable kind of man. And that's really the same kind of person that's been left behind by this collapse in social dynamics where things are moving towards reward and the you know, social movers and shakers, people that are a bit more entrepreneurial in this environment. But yeah, it's the same kind of honest assault of the earth decent people that are being left behind in this I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly, the you know, the the blue collar guy that goes down to the local pub and picks one of the girls there and you know, start as a family. That way is kind of over. And now because the you know, the whole dynamic has changed. Men have to play the female game. They need to have the online clout, need to have a created profile, they need to you know, get professional photos or whatever. And it's just you know, a game theory of you know, female preferences, and you know, masculinity itself is being lost in that process, and there aren't any way many ways around it. You know, there's been kind of a movement in the last few years like, oh, just go and approach girls in real life. Bro, Well, it's not that simple, because a you have to fit the profile that they're seeing online as desirable. A lot be they're anti social themselves because they're not even socially trained, so many of them are zogged out on TikTok or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: One story a girl I was speaking to a couple of years ago. She said she was invited on a trip with her friends for New Year and they chose to go to some not very nice place in the UK, which I thought was funny in itself, but I was like when she came back, I was, Oh, how's your trip, and she was like, Oh, it was terrible. They just were on TikTok the whole time, and I went out and tried the local food on my own and they didn't want to come. I was just like, wow, Like, this is gen z women eccentral. And you know, when do any of these boomer politicians make any legislation or create any safety net against this When they look at the fertility rate and apply policy, they just throw money at the problem. No, this is this is a deep cultural problem and the whole lens of women's social life being shifted radically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure everyone listening will probably have similarly relevant anecdotes, but I mean we're talking about really gen Z here, and that's one thing, but we're looking at what comes after him. Note with Generation Alpha, I mean, this is going to be another level again where it's a generation that's totally raised with this as such as central Paraderal lives in a way it wasn't even for gen Z, and the effects of that, even cognitively are going to be profound.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The UK media regulator Offcom released shocking figures last summer about the tablet use by children in the UK. I mean, the data is disgusting. Frankly, eight of zero to two year olds have a personal tablet. Nineteen percent of three to five three to five year olds have a mobile phone. I don't know if that is smartphones only or they have like a slip a flip phone to call them at score or something, but that was the headline figure. In the three to five year old bracket. The average screen time per day is over six hours. Bear in mind that UK children start score four, so that is you know, how much time do they even have at home? Maybe the entire home time is being taken up by screen time. And that's the average. That's the average. Yeah, this isn't even the worst of it. Thirty In one another study of one thousand parents, thirty four percent admitted that they couldn't get their child to eat without showing it a screen at the same time, and I think it was around forty five percent admit using the screen to calm the child down. And I witnessed us myself. I've got a friend he invited me around for dinner and his two year old boy absolutely crashed out because his mum said enough pepper pig for today, and he literally had a tantrum for two or two or three hours. And my friend at that point realized that there was a serious problem and the screen got completely taken away, never used again. Apparently he's doing better than ever. So that is the kind of thing that's going on with young children in the UK, and the behavioral disorders and verbalization disorders are off.
Speaker 3: The charts now.
Speaker 2: I think that's something like in the thirties or around forty percent having behavioral disord orders as a result of this. The ones in the highest bracket of use. So, yeah, there's obvious obvious problems that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is those statistics are insaying, because if the average is like five or six errors, I mean there is going to be a cohort of those kids where the parents have some principle and and don't let them use the phones at all, which means that if you exclude those, presumably the amount of time is wall longer that you just have maybe a majority of kids that are basically just on screens the entire time they're outside school.
Speaker 3: I think it's looking that way.
Speaker 2: And even if you go out outside, you'll see prams now have a pad holder and the like. A young baby will be shown a pad of whatever entertainment just to stop them crying. So it's become it's become a replacement for maternal care and touch and whatever else a baby needs, and it's just oh, just train your brain on the images.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly what they'll watch him, but I do know that neurological development in babies and young children is incredibly important. There's one neurologist, Tomasello. He's got a theory or science of the nine month neurological revolution. It's been in our species even pre Homo sapien I think it was the Homo heidelbergensis, one of the proto of human types. But that's the sciences that we learned shared intentionality around nine months old, where the you know, the adult will show an object and follow the object with the eye, and the child starts to follow the eye of the parent. And the eyes are incredibly important in terms of neurological development. The eyes are wired into the brain and you know, linked linked to the brain and neural pathways in very profound ways. And if this neurological development is replaced with passive consumption rather than intentional learning, there is actually a huge deficit in white matter development. So the brain is literally not developing properly. And we don't even know what those children are going to be like when they should become functional adults.
Speaker 3: They could be basically retarded.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I of don't think as well. I have heard psychologists talk about this, the importance of border for childhood development, especially in terms of developing creativity. And you know, when kids are bored, I mean typically they invent games, and you know, they learn things like cooperation and social skills. You know, they do this with other kids and they learn to set rules and create structures and so on. But there's just so many ways in which, you know, the creative acts that kids come up with when they're bored it is important for their development because it's it's kind of learning on the fly, like it's it's learning actively having to adapt to situations, not just pre approved set games they're established for you by a teacher or parent or whatever. But that that's so vital for childhood development in a sense, it's probably there's probably even more going on there than we realize, just because of how much of childhood development traditionally has come through that. But we've basically eliminated boredom, right, like you know, you get you give the example the kid on the iPad.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people will have observed that.
Speaker 1: That, you know, young kids where you take an iPad of them and it's like, you know, it's like taking Heroin off a Heroin addict. But whether it's the screens or other forms of technological entertainment, boredom is is kind of absent for children now and if it, if it comes up, they're going to kick up a big fuss, and the parents are probably going to deal with very quickly because you know, they're busy themselves and they want to get on with whatever they're doing. They want to get back to their social media enjoyment. But I think that's I think that's going to be profound in the effect it has in this generation.
Speaker 2: I mean, what, what what did you do as a child. I mean, I did watch a lot of TV, or so my mom says, Thomas the Tank Engine. But I also remember playing with very mechanical toys, and I grew up with my cousins and my little brother, and you know Jonathan Hyatt about the need for children to have rough play and learn cooperation, and you know, I went to nursery at a young age, and I had my granddad in the house that I did crosswords and puzzles with and stuff. And I don't know how many children are even getting access to that, because you know, the families are smaller. It's like smaller nuclear families, maybe even one child, you know, no extended family around. I think children are probably still going to the play schools, but do they even have the skill to socialize in the play school if they've been watching the screen for the two years prior. So you know, I'm not an expert in this field. I'm just you know, ringing the alarm bells really, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there, I mean there's a lot of factors that are kind of compounding on each other when it comes to this as well, because you know, things are more urbanized, people living in suburbs more, there isn't as much open space for kids to explore. And then there's a decline and a lack of social trusts as well.
Speaker 3: I think kids.
Speaker 1: Aren't running off playing with their neighbors so much anymore. A lot of people don't even know their neighbors or ever ever interact with them. And then, of course, you know, Western societies are more multicultural. And Robert Putnam's famous study Bawling Alone, where he studied the sociological effects of increased diversity, I mean, the number one thing was decline and social trust, but the effect that he called it on the individual level was the huddling effect, where people people spend more time indoors, they do more solitary activities, you know, hence the name bawling Alone. But I think you know that feeds into this retreat into technology as well. But I mean, yeah, you can imagine it. It's got to be quite difficult raised in a child because it's also there's also the compounding effect of when people have fewer children across society, smaller families becoming the norm itself discourages family formation because the society is directed less towards the needs of families, it's less friendly of an environment for children. And then again, yeah, if you're looking to socialize your kids, I mean, one thing is there's just less children around, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: There does seem to be this feedback loop of more atomized society leads to more less children, leads to more online time, and in general, there is this perception that there is just far less risk by you know, socializing alone digitally.
Speaker 1: That doesn't make me think not the derail, But when did it become such a thing, Because if you think back, like it's like one generation prior to us, the kids just spent all their time outdoors apparently, and you know, would leave in the morning and.
Speaker 3: Come back in the evening.
Speaker 1: When when did the peedo scare become such a thing, Where like while they were started telling their kids like if you know, if you play alone like a pedophile that was going to take you. That seemed that seemed to in one generation become kind of the big concern.
Speaker 2: I remember it around the town of Millennium. I mean I was always outside playing football. I was so addicted to football. I would even look for games with random other kids. You know, you'd have like a vague idea of like who the other kids in the town were, and you could kind of say, like you knew someone and we could you know, start a game together or whatever. But yeah, I think like Murdock's tabloid press and pedo scare that really took off around then because you know, it's this usual thing that or the media do to you know, cause outrage, cars, cause shock scare people, and then people don't want to miss out on the latest dangers. But yeah, that that that became a huge thing in the late nineties. I remember brass I even did a comedy episode on it that that's quite a dark British comedy that would certainly not be aired now. But they did a special called Ptero Geddon and yeah, that that was I think that ended up getting banned or something, but that was kind of a mockery of that whole New line of news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, does that tone which just like the female true chrime obsession where you know, any isolated stories of kids getting taken like that seems to get blown up so much and talked about so much, and you know, like the medal McCann story just like went on and on and on. Or you know, maybe maybe it is just a function of like more multicultural outami societies where you know, I mean there is something to do it. Like I said, people don't know their neighbors so much anymore. So Yeah, I mean, I guess on the one hand, kids were going out morning and evening, but at the same time, you know, the parents knew everyone else that lives and whether it was the you know, the the block of flats or the suburb or whatever, they did actually know all their neighbors.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when I was growing up, people would leave their kids with the neighbors or you know, with their sibling. You know, my mum went back to work when I was two and she'd leave me with her sister, and I grew up with my cousin around the same age. But now the one of the political buzzwords is childcare. You know, every manifesto has to promise x amount of free childcare. It's just it's just a whole breakdown of a you know, normal family, social structure, and trust in society. And you know, technology is certainly playing into that. Going back to the screen time statistics in gen Z, eighty two percent believe they are addicted to these platforms and over ten percent have clinical addiction. I mean, in terms of the type of content that people are spending their time on, it's incredibly dopaminergic reward centered. So the dopamine system works in terms of anticipate anticipation. If you get content that you're not particularly interested in and you'll constantly feel like you're searching for it, and then you find something that interests you, your dopamine rewards you. It makes you feel good because you've gone through this exploration, this journey to get a reward. I mean, you know, that's in our evolution because our ancestors went and did difficult things, explored new lands and just covered new food sources and one battles or you know, whatever they did to survive. But now that whole neurological system is being redirected into looking at entertaining videos online and that's now I think it's you know, hundreds of millions of short videos are being watched every day. You know, TikTok is the most extreme version of that. You mentioned snapchat earlier. If you are at a bus or train station and you see a young girl and you look over her screen and see what she's doing, often you'll see them just flicking through like their entire contact list with their thumb, like super quickly, and they're not they're not even stopping on a second. I think it's because the female especially needs to see everything that's going on in her social world. She needs to see every photo, every bit of news, every up day, every gossip, and it just completely zogged out, like they're not aware of their surroundings. It's like, you know, they're probably giving themselves neck ache from looking down all the time. I mean, yeah, but it's you know, this is really changing the nature of human existence itself. And you know, as we say, leading to complete social atomization, collapse of social circles, and you know, families are not being created, relationships are not being created as a result. So it's intrinsically linked to nationalism, and that's why we're covering it.
Speaker 1: I mean, people have been sounding the alarm on these trends for a while, and you know, we've talked about observable things here fallen attention span and lower socialization and so on, but you know, things have basically continued as normal, right. Intelligence hasn't especially declined between generations. People still graduate university and so on. But in terms of real world effects, this is starting to have now where we're seeing really profound downstream effects of these trends. There's one study I think that's really interesting in this regard. It came out a couple of years ago. It's called they Don't Read very Well, and so some of the details of it went kind of semi viral on X and substack last year, and I found this absolutely staggering. But essentially it studied English graduates. So these were people majoring in English in an American university and they had actually above average grades. And it studied whether they could decipher seven paragraphs from a Dickens text. So all they had to do read these paragraphs and explain back to the person examining them what Dickens is saying. Now, they had access to their smartphones and the dictionary, so they could do any amount of research they want get the different definition of every individual word, and the result is quite sagrid. So the results were fifty eight percent understood very little of the passages and would not have been able to finish the book. These are English graduates. Thirty eight percent understood about half the sentences and five percent I think it was four people out of eighty five surveyed. Five percent could understand all seven paragraphs, and the first group the problematic readers to fifty eight percent. They literally they could not differentiate between literal and figurative speech. So I think one example in the Dickens text, he was describing a guy sitting down and he had great whiskers, and so this fifty eight percent couldn't understand that this the Dickens creating a description of his mustache. They thought that he was sitting down with a cat named whiskers. Right, So this is the kind of thing. And again these are English graduates. Now, the statistics on graduates from college generally are also very concerning. They say something like eighty percent or functionally illiterate. Now you can get into what that means in terms of obviously they can read, but it's a question of how well they understand texts, how much they can decipher language patterns and so on. But this is a much more I think a profound study, because this is telling you exactly what they're looking at and what they're coming back with. And again, these are English graduates. Most of these people are going to have degrees in English, and only five percent of them can read Dickens and understand it consistently.
Speaker 3: Is this in the United States?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a university in Kentucky, where again they actually have above average gray.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean Dickens doesn't even have a high reading age. It was recommended to children when I was growing up. I can't say I'm hugely surprised, though. I had a friend he was a senior PhD student marking papers about a decade ago, and he said the students were complete morons, and that was a top university in the UK, top twenty, and he said they couldn't write, they couldn't form ideas. I don't know how much of this is down to technology or what's well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I spoke to someone that used to be a university lecturer in philosophy and he was saying, you wouldn't believe how poor the average undergrad is even twenty years ago. But he said he speaks to people that he knew from his time teaching that are still doing it, and they said to him, you would not be able to comprehend the level of declient since you were teaching here twenty years ago. It's night and day like. Essentially, these students are hopeless, and I think it is technologically induced because average intelligence, like I said, has not really gone down that much in so far as it has if you look at Western populations. I think there's a demographic angle there, but there really isn't a noticeable decline, and yet people are functionally illiterate, and you know, part of it is just reading less. I think about half the number of adolescents now read books for enjoyment that would have in the nineteen nineties. I think is the statistic. But there's also there's all sorts of ways that the constant use of technology, especially for short form content, rewire our brains in ways that do push us towards illiteracy, especially if it's at a young development age. I mean there's you know, there's some and called cognitive patience, which is very important for reading that you can you know, sit and kind of stew on a on a sentence or a paragraph and taking the understanding that goes down with use of technology. They even monitor people in the use social media to read that there's fewer size you know, there's there's which is a sign of kind of refocusing and taking in text. And people carry over these habits to longer texts where they get in the habit of of scanning information very quickly. And when we you know, when we look for information or when we read something online, get in the habit of of just scanning it for essential information. And people carry that over to longer texts and books to the point that they really can't focus on taking in an entire paragraph. They take these, uh, these scanning tendencies over with them, And yeah, I mean, you do really have to train your brain in a certain way, especially in youth too, to learn to read. So it's not surprising. Another statistic is that seventeen percent of students are given a full book to read as they go through schooling in the US now because increasingly teachers have moved to teaching English through you know, assigning blurbs, blogs, excerpts from books. But people rarely read full books anymore. And of course, I mean this is twenty twenty four, this is before everyone began using chatch GPT for all of their assignments and for all of their learning. So any of those trends are going to be far worse now because these are people that would have went through say, high school, and they would have actually done homework and read texts that were assigned. Now, with the widespread use of llms, they wouldn't even be doing that in their development right, They'll just be passing their homework through chat GPT increasingly all homer because done true chat GPT teachers are correct and using chat GPT. So even the little bit of training they would have gone on the you know, the whatever shorter text they were given to read and study and write about. No, that's going out the window. And yeah, I mean these trends are only going to be exacerbated.
Speaker 2: The pre TV generation, the silent generation, pre boomer they were said to have an attention span of twenty five seconds. When we were growing up, it was said to be around twelve seconds. I mean, you know, TV and mass media was certainly around there that probably affected things. But now it's said to be eight seconds, So you know, seventy percent decline over a few decades due to exposure to media. And I remember the older generations having a much higher level of English. My grandfather, for example, we spoke very correctly and he was only you know, a working classman, military police officer, and he spoke very correctly. And yeah, the standards are declining. I don't know how much of that is the quality of education or you know, other technological factors affecting neurological development or whatever. But how many of these children even even read books anymore? I remember I was quite a slow starter to get reading, but once I got into it, around the age of six or seven, I was a dedicated reader. I went through all the you know, children's adventure books, and you know, I think that's a really important stage that children should go through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's observable as well. I mean, you can see it's not just like a selection bias where we're looking at the educated few and how well they rolled or spoil prior to us. But I mean you can look at things like letters from soldiers, people posts sometimes on x people's diaries, people's letters to one another, like working class people and Yeah, it's at a level that seems totally remarkable to us now if you were to imagine the average person writing like that. But this, yeah, this was just a level of schooling and understanding that that was taken for granted.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to see that a couple of states have actually taken action. Sweden and Denmark have removed these kind of you know, technological aids and reverted back to pen and paper. Also, we've seen Australia create an entire social media ban for under sixteenes and I think it's necessary. The UK are looking at it. I would like to see, you know, a state solution across the Western world, because clearly something is very wrong and that will be required.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really so profound. I mean we haven't even gotten into all of the health effects in terms of what we're finding about how this affect sleep, how to affect people's cortisol and their general levels of stress and anxiety and depression, and all of these things are being studied now and again just very direct, very profound links between all of those things. And I mean it's very difficult in terms of looking at this as a as a sociological problem to really talk about solutions. I mean, we can talk about obviously limited it to from children. I think that that's a no brainer, and I think is you know, it should really just be like a basic kind of standard of parenting in terms of just being unacceptable to hand these devices over to kids and get them hooked on them. But I mean, ultimately, for the individual, it's very hard to see this just being legislated out of and you know, the Silicon Valley has tens of thousands of engineers combined millions of hours designed to hook people and activate the reward system to have them hooked on this for as many hours and minutes as possible, and fighting that is very difficult. But in terms of sociologically, how we deal with this collectively, not only there not very many answers, but I don't think the profound downstream effects of this have even really been considered very much, even by our own side. And I think we've only scratched the surface of it ourselves, even in this discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not let our political opponents monopolize these kind of ideas. You know, as we said in episode one, we need to be tapped into you know, all areas unless present a case for everything, how we see the world, how you know the future can be if we win power and you know, wielding the state to limit the freedom and you know, stop limbic capitalism operating with a totally free hand at whatever social cost.
Speaker 3: You know that, let's make the case for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot to cover. And you know, again we haven't even we didn't even really get into the effects of AI and l ll ms and the profound effects were starting to see that, have you know, open the can of worms on AI relationships and how in's sane some of the suffer scene with that is now and how common it is, But that will be that will have to be evergreen content before another day. For now, we leave it there. And yeah, this was a This was a good discussion. Hopefully people will get something out of it.